Designers » M » Leather « Groups

Jazz Club Maison Martin Margiela for men
dislike

rum
tobacco

Jazz Club by Maison Martin Margiela is a Leather fragrance for men. Jazz Club was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Alienor Massenet. Top notes are pink pepper, lemon and neroli; middle notes are rum, clary sage and java vetiver oil; base notes are tobacco leaf, vanilla bean and styrax.

Pink Pepper Lemon Neroli

Rum Clary Sage Java vetiver oil

Tobacco Leaf vanilla bean Styrax

Mauboussin Pour Lui in Black
She Sensei

Jazz Club Fragrance Reviews

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

I have this and beach walk. What I like most is how they change throughout wearing and finish different to how they started. A bit like several fragrances in one so in that way value for money. Average lasting but the fun is re-spraying to start the story all over again.

$$
$$

Jazz Club is the best smelling fragrance they have in the mens line without a doubt.

pallasathene8
pallasathene8

I sprayed on a sample of this about an hour before my bf got home from work. He commented on the scent before he was even in the same room with me and then immediately wanted to make love to me. This one is a keeper.

Or maybe I should be concerned since this is labeled a men's scent. I think it is completely unisex and well-suited to me, however.

artemiss
artemiss

I got this for the hubby, but it could easily be unisex with the right chemistry.
Dark and powdery, this is not a scent to wear in the hot light of day. It is a thing of smoky noir nightclubs, of dark liquor on the rocks, leather jackets on leather seats.

Konga5000
Konga5000

GREAT concept and packaging! GREAT scent as well!

NEEDS serious price adjustment however. Longevity is only fair. This entire line needs to be like 1/3 rd the asking price.

Incredibly overpriced.

josevancouver

It's Springtime here in Vancouver, Canada. Average temperature is 21 degrees celsius, 70 or so fahrenheit and I'm wearing Jazz Club. I'm starting to realize that this fragrance is better suited for Spring/Fall and not winter. It's not heavy enough and the 'coconut' boozy vibe it gives off is suitable for warm (not hot) weather. Love this stuff. Lots of compliments, sweet and appealing.

a5n8g8e2l4a
a5n8g8e2l4a

Hoo, boy. First off, if I had a current boyfriend, I would want him to smell like this ALL THE TIME! LOL.

That said, there is enough sweetness to this, that a woman can wear it. I truly think this is unisex, and would not mind wearing it myself during the colder months.

dogpatrol
dogpatrol

It is definitely alluring. Sweet in all the right places, the rum is quickly identified. The big problem with this scent is that it has terrible longevity. As soon as you spray it, it is gone. There is no way around that. So I would not recommend spending your money on this fragrance. The product quality does not meet asking price.

akitty0543
akitty0543

I have a hard time with this fragrance. I do love it, but it's tricky to wear. Rum, tobacco, and leather are all things I love to see together. However, I wouldn't call it an exact hit in this cologne. The notes, while they can be appealing, can come off as very chemical and even overly sweet if the cologne is too concentrated.

That said, there is a smokey sexiness to it. The bottle says that it's "heady cocktails and cigars". To me it smells like a highball of rum and cherry Coke with tobacco leaves. The leather is there, but it's in the background. Dark, smokey, with a hint of sticky sweetness. It really does remind me of a bar. An upscale, dimly lit, intimate bar, such as... a jazz club. (What can I say? It's an aptly named cologne.)

I think it's a tad smutty, but in a good way. Think dark, sexy, and confident. It reminds me of the perfect scent for date nights, wearing a sweater with red lipstick, a leather jacket, and sipping cocktails. I enjoy it as a night fragrance for women, but I think it is too sweet to be a fragrance for men. I've received numerous compliments wearing it as women's night fragrance. My boyfriend is particularly fond of this fragrance, even though he tends to have a preference for things that are light and feminine.

I've found there's a trick to wearing this perfume: you can't spray it directly on yourself. If it's too concentrated it starts to smell synthetic, and somewhat like rubbing alcohol. It creates an effect where the cologne smells amazing from a distance, but chemical and harsh up close. The way around this is to spray the air near you and walk through the perfume cloud you've created. Or, if your arms are long enough, spraying it at a distance. It's not just a matter of "not wearing too much", it's a matter of making sure the cologne isn't too concentrated to any one area. The sillage is intense, so even in small amounts this scent will still project quite a bit. It's easy to give yourself a headache over applying this fragrance due to it's headiness. Because of these things I find this cologne is one that is best applied lightly.

Again, I really do love this cologne. It's tricky to apply, and certainly not an "everyday scent", but I've found it to be perfect for the right occasions.

ketoile
ketoile

This was highly recommended to me - someone who loves non-commerical, atypical, and unisex fragrances: some of my favorite scents in the past few years have been single-note absolutes of bay leaf and vetiver. What a disappointment, though. To me, this smells extremely commercial: it's got a big, sticky-sweet heart, so much so that I have trouble imagining this on a man, and there's a heavy aroma-chemical base that gives me an instant headache. I had to get rid of my tester right away because I could smell it through the 1ml vial stashed in medicine cabinet with the door closed. Nope.

walking44
walking44

This is amazing! Rum, spice, and everything nice. Smelling it up close singes my nostrils with synthetics and rubbing alcohol. But stepping back and catching little whiffs here and there (how other people would perceive) it smells like a cinnamon cookie :3

nero77
nero77

Rum with Coconut...

I must say, I don't find this one as a "dark" or "heavy" scent in any way. I immediately get a rum and coconut vibe here, which is really quite nice. To me this fragrance has a boozy, tropical aspect to it. In other words, it doesn't remind me entirely of a jazz club.

Nevertheless it is a really good fragrance. I do get rum and tobacco, although the leather is faint. I also see this as sophisticated and with depth. I can see this working beautifully on any person's skin. I wholly recommend it to try if you like the boozier type of sophisticated scents. Give it a try and you may be surprised. It's one I like for sure.

bebop
bebop

On a paper strip this smelled like a well-loved leather jacket that someone has smoked a cigarette in a while ago. On my skin a lot of that tobacco is lost, and it mellows out into a slightly powdery sweet leather. I wish I got some of the rum!

iam_aries
iam_aries

Brief history: Sampled this frag at Sephora sometime mid last year (2015). Got a sample made and wore it a few times - mostly through Fall and Winter of 2015-2016. A night/clubbing scent but I wore it to work a few times as well. Really liked how the aura envelops you so went back and bought a full bottle.

What to expect: Jazz Club is aptly named. At first blast you get a heady, boozy dark rum. Not overtly sweet but can't help but get an image of a Rum & Coke. Better still - a small snifter of Sailor Jerry or Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. Sipping through it sitting in a dark corner in the club in your dark tan leather jacket. An hour or so goes by and a smoke lady stops by and offers a cigar. You light it up, take a few puffs and it billows out and suspends in the air. The combined aroma stays well into the night. Even after you've left the club. So yes - very Americana, very Cotton Club. Suave, Enchanting, Sensual, Stupendous.

Rating (based on my own wearings and body chemistry):
- Longevity : 8/10 (lasts 8-10 hrs on my skin)
- Complexity : 5/10 (not very complex; stays pretty linear)
- Sillage : 6/10
- Versatility : 7/10 (Marketed for Men, but I think it can be carried off by the right woman. Darker notes so ideally a night scent. On me it works well during the day as well - others may disagree! I usually layer it with an Amber or Woody frag; helps make it a little more 'wearable'. Haven't tried it in spring/summer so will have to come back to this review sometime.)
- Uniqueness : 8/10
- Presentation: 6/10
- Cost/Value : 7/10

Overall: 6.7

sparris
sparris

I really like this one and despite the fact I think the creator/s(meaning the nose isn't the sole creator of any given fragrance unless they have complete freedom) stopped slightly short of what could have been 'spellbinding' or just 'amazingly good' here-there's something that makes the fragrance seem a little unfocused to me-I can see myself purchasing at least a large decant in the future.

What I mean is I would have liked just a tad more depth, a little more sharpness somewhere.

Cochlea
Cochlea

Maison Martin Margiela Jazz Club
This is totally unisex, men and women can wear this!

The first spray on my skin is a lemon-pepper accord. I sense a herbal vanilla from the sage and vanilla, a little bit of rum. The tobacco is very light on my skin.
The rum is dark brown, sweet, smoky and strong. The leather is blending with the vanilla, Vetiver, styrax accord. The rum dominates on my skin for the life of the fragrance, the tobacco, benzoin-styrax accord is underneath the rum.
Longevity is about 6 hours and sillage is soft. I really liked wearing Jazz Club but it is not for me.

(Notes from the website- Top Notes: pink peppercorns, citrus, neroli. Middle Notes: Rum, Orange, Bitter orange, sage Base notes: Styrax, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Vetiver Tobacco Leaves.)

henke_west
henke_west

Initially it is boozy, sweet and strong. However, it is not rum or leather. Instead I find a cool rootbeer vibe. (Jenka-tuggummi for svenskar)

When it settles to the dry down the benzoin and musk becomes prominent although the rootbeer vibe is there.

Performance is really good.

Its there the whole night and projection is on the stronger side. It's for night use if your not a jazz musician that is.

Sweet Sea Pea
Sweet Sea Pea

I'm no expert on men's fragrance, but I just put on two sprays from a sampler and I'm in heaven! It does smell like a night club, with the cocktails, perfume, and sweaty sexy bodies. There isn't a lot of smokiness. Just a hint, which is realistic, since nobody can smoke in clubs anymore. Perhaps a waft of smoke from the patio or just outside the door. It is certainly wearable by women, but I'd love to smell a man in this. Just delicious.

GodKing
GodKing

I tried a sample today from a recent Sephora order and was surprised how much I enjoyed it since the boozy scents are a big-hit or a bit-miss with me. I basically get sweet-run with a bit of a coconut, a mild non-smoked pipe tobacco and a leather vibe. It's masculine, yet playful, for the man who doesn't take himself too seriously. Suitable for a Fall, Winter or Early Spring Nights while in casual or semi-formal attire.

Okay, I need to define coconut...although sweet, it's not a loud sweetness like you get when tasting Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut or Coconut Flakes. Rather, it's more of a Coconut Oil vibe that hangs in the background and gives Jazz Club a bit of a buttery feel. Moreover, a lot of folks do not detect leather, but it comes through just as clearly as the tobacco vibe to my nose. So I guess I'm getting rum, mild tobacco and soft leather covered in coconut butter. Sounds like a kinky party I hosted back in the 80s. It's no wonder why I like it! LOL!

This fragrance lasted a solid 8-9 hours on my skin and projected about average, but it left a nice scent trail. Overall, I do like it but it's a little pricey and not one of my favorite boozy fragrances. So I won't be buying a bottle. Still, it's worth checking-out if you're into boozy fragrances.

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

This is definitely unisex. I don't pick up on any leather, just smooth rum and tobacco, nothing heavy or overly syrupy.

I like it but I'm not blown away, though a co-worker adored it on me. I feel like this is an easy compliment-getter. A solid outing for the popular rum & tobacco combo.

Sillage is moderate and it lasted a good 7+ hours on me.

josevancouver

I put on this fragrance and got my haircut later on one morning. My hairstylist started talking to me about how I wanted to have my hair cut and then told me I smelled amazing.

There are varying opinions on this fragrance. I own two bottles of this stuff and really like it. Longevity and sillage could be better, but overall, it is a nice combination of leather, rum and tobacco....notes I really enjoy.

hersupernature
hersupernature

Disclaimer - I wear this as a 22-year-old woman, and continue to get compliments from men on it. I can see how it's a male fragrance, but it's certainly the type I'd see an approachable, educated man wearing. It has a refreshing absence of the usual in-your-face "I AM COLOGNE" announcement like Aqua di Gio or similar carries with it. It smells more refined yet still approachable, without coming across as stuffy or mature, like amber without the heaviness - it reminds me a bit of Burberry Brit (women), actually.

I wasn't going to pin "rum" as one of the notes until I saw it here - but I can smell it now. I smell a bit of cigar, but there is absolutely zero staleness or bitterness and it's really more like that of a hookah-like or incense-like warmth. Underneath is also something papery, a bit like the sweetness of aged books. There is something almost metallic about the scent after the drydown on me, but it's a sort of a warm, brassy metallic that I'm sure the perfumers were after in its namesake.

Gorgeous.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Jazz Club opens with a not so boozy rum. A bitter aftertaste lurks underneath the sweetness, which makes the rum more realistic and a nice contrast in itself. I also get a hint of coconut, which makes the smell veer towards being a tropical cocktail.

The fragrance doesn't change much on me with time, just becomes a bit more creamy with the addition of the vanilla. I can hardly discern nor feel the impact of tobacco and leather. The scent itself is a very nice and gentle combination of booze and vanilla, but I'm disappointed as I expected it to be darker, deeper, or more raw and dirtier, according to the name.

The sillage is moderate to soft, and the longevity is around 6 to 7 hours. Although I did enjoy Jazz Club, as a fragrance featuring booze, leather and tobacco, I think there're other stronger contenders in this genre. It'd probably make a nice gateway fragrance to this genre, but I'd suggest testing other fragrances as well before settling down.

TimeIsLikeABrokenWatch
TimeIsLikeABrokenWatch

I tried a sample of this as the description intrigued me; despite being a "male" scent, I had hoped it would read more spicy/sweet and work on me. As much as I enjoy smelling this, I'd prefer to smell it on my husband; it did feel a bit too masculine for me to personally identify myself with the scent. I should have known going into it; I love the idea of androgyny, I'd love smelling this on another woman, but I'm too femme to pull this off and really buy into it.

Interestingly, I didn't smell any leather or any of the "plastic" tone that some have mentioned, and the tobacco was very minimal. On my skin, this was sweet rum cola with a hint of pepper and a whiff of coconut for the first 30 minutes or so. If it had stopped there, I'd be ordering a bottle now. As I wore it, that scent gave way to a distinctly cedar note. My nose is untrained, maybe this is another note or several notes combining to give me this impression, but it smelled just like the cedar you'd line your closet with. I happen to really like cedar, but it was that cedar that came in later that swung this more towards the "masculine" side of unisex; up until then, I was loving it on myself. Sounds like others aren't getting that same note out of this, so perhaps it just reads more masculine with my body chemistry.

That being said, I think this smells great, and I will definitely encourage my husband to adopt it. I'll update this if it smells markedly different with his body chemistry.

Edited: My husband did end up trying this, and he DID NOT like it :( Unfortunately, I had to agree! As much as I liked the way it smelled on myself, despite smelling markedly masculine, it smelled muddled and indistinct on him; sweet, boozey, a bit of coconut, but rather generic. What a shame, I'd have loved for this to work on him. But honestly, I just don't think it lives up to the price point, at least not on his skin.

Terese2
Terese2

I have never written a negative review about a fragrance. I adore perfume and realize taste and sense perception are highly subjective. But Jazz Club is so far afield of its list of ingredients (all of which I love...) that I feel compelled to warn people to please sample before buying.

This fragrance opens with the smell of a plastic Barbie - straight out of the box. It never looses it's artificial fruit-jelly candy aroma. At the base is the smell of opening a shoe box that has stored old leather shoes for 10 years. Oh, and there is a faint smell of rubber bands. The longevity is, roughly, 3 days. I am mystified by the many fine reviews of this scent. Caveat emptor, my dears.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

This could have been a masterpiece but fall very short in the performance department. It's got the sillage of an ant's fart and longevity of a fly's vomit. I have worn it 3 times and have never gotten more than 90 minutes from it. Judging by the notes you would think it would at least have average performance but does not. Check out Bentley Intense or Pure Malt if you want a long lasting boozy scent. If you must have niche then Frapin 1697 is a better option as well.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

I get everything from Jazz Club that I was expecting. I had previously tried Beach Walk and its quite light, so I assumed this would be as well. You don't get a rich and layered leathery tobacco with this, but it is a good scent if you prefer edt strength and are willing to pay the $125. I still think there are better options. Commodity Whiskey is better and cheaper. Bvlgari Black is that rubbery leather that I crave in the fall. The list goes on and on. Sample this before buying or you'll regret it.

Fokura
Fokura

I am so disappointed in Jazz Club. I really wanted to love it. Rum, leather, and tobacco? What's not to love? But I don't smell any of those. My sample smells like rubbing alcohol and some other chemical with maybe a layer of incense. It's just not pleasant at all.

Moonchild1985
Moonchild1985

This my review of Jazz Club, by Margiela, after recommending it in my review of [untitled], from Margiela too.
3 classical "fall /winter"notes blended very nicely : It's just leather, rum and tobacco. I'd say it's more suited for fall and spring (mid season) actually, it's just not strong/bold enough for winter, IMHO.

The scent? hard to describe, it's quite unique. It's smells like Cherry Coke mixed with rum a drink and my enjoyment must be partial to the fact I found the smell of one my favourite drinks as a perfume. (I must be the only one in the world loving this 'cocktail' lol),
It's sweet, syrupy, but in a light way, (not as heavy, as, say, angel by Mugler). Not overtly feminine (no heavy fruity or floral note), not lumberjack masculine either, just the tobacco being the proeminent to my nose. This makes the scent perfectly unisex as some have suggested before me. There's not much evolution, but that (almost) linear scent is definitly worth it. Depending on the temperature or the time of the evolution, there's a slight coconut smell in the background.

My only regret is that the boozy feel lasts about 10 minutes, but the scent itself, though weak in projection and sillage past the 1rst hour, rests on my skin for about 5-6 hours and it's just delicious. Gourmand-ish as a skin scent and sensual. It clearly has a "bar" feel (but not smokey at all), a low-lit bar where well-dressed (yet shady) people drinks dry martinis, rum with a perfectly tailored suit on. You know, where you can find illegal gamblers and such...
If you like Avant-Garde by Lanvin or YSL La Nuit de l'Homme (or a softer version of Pure Havane by Mugler), you may enjoy this one. Not that they smell alike, but they are "family", I'd say.

Love the minimalist bottle as well, if you know about Margiela minimalism in the fashion world, you'd appreciate the aesthetic even more. The cotton fabric sticker with 'old school' typing gives an "artisanal" look to it and the spray is perfect.

Scent 9/10.
Longevity 8/10
Sillage + projection 6/10
(I just wish the projection and sillage were stronger)

Danceswithscent
Danceswithscent

RThis is a strange one. Cherry coke syrup spilled on a fake leather couch that is covered in rum and whisky sitting in an old dive bar. Smells synthetic and pretty terrible on skin. If you spray it on your arm and do the waft, it smells quite different than the synthetic grossness up close. It's more balanced with the above mentioned notes and more enjoyable. Good for a sample but very overpriced for the synthetic syrup it is. It also fades to a skin scent very quickly. Pass for me.
Edit- this is nothing like John Varvatos which I quite enjoy. JV is more masculine and well blended. This is neither.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

Syrupy sweet tobacco-rum combo with a nice leather note. The rum is of the dark, sweet, spiced variety and the tobacco is of the (also) sweet, cherry-like pipe variety. The leather adds a nice little bit of depth but I'm not so sure I'm enjoying the composition. The incredibly sweet rummy opening kind of smells like cheap tropical shampoo for some reason. Shortly after it enters my favorite phase, which is the fairly well balanced mid. While the sweetness is still almost cloying, the tobacco and leather notes are well blended and pleasant. The drydown leans a bit too much on candied pipe tobacco and I found that it turned my stomach. It performs well, unsurprisingly with such thick, sweet notes.

I agree with the other reviewers here that this is unisex. I don't think its evocative of a jazz club or another smoky, dark environ. It more accurately conjures up images of cheap tropical shampoo and other super sweet candy syrup masculines such as Jon Varvatos. If you are in search of a rum-based fragrance that actually conjures up images of an old jazz club, I highly highly recommend Idole de Lubin in both EDT and EDP concentration. Both have much more depth, darkness, and masculinity as well as a more realistic rum note.

samsara1977
samsara1977

Fantastic scent, ment to be for men but sometimes I just need to have it on my skin and use it as well. You can recognise this right away, no other perfume smells similar to me and I'm Always blown away when I smell it.

It has the perfect balance between leather, rum, tabacco...

lafindesiecle
lafindesiecle

I LOVE this scent.

I don't get rum from this - but maybe that's because I personally loathe rum as a drink? What I smell is the exact taste of a perfect, boozy manhattan - smoky-sweet carmelly bourbon mixed with that brandied black cherry and bitters. Or maybe an old fashioned - there's some biting, bitter citrus in there, that orange pith rim on the glass. All while settling into a well-worn booth, leather and wood, a hint of something like clove cigarettes or cigars. I'm getting verbose, but as far as the 'replica' scents go, this goddamn nails it in terms of some saturday night fantasy of days of yore.

the first notes for me are super masculine - and FYI i'm a rather femme and very blonde lady who gravitates towards more 'masculine' scents and loathes most white floral and aldehydic scents - but that pink pepper and citrus smells like far too many average colognes at first. the first whiff seems cheap and cliche, but on me, within five minutes it settles down into that rich complexity mentioned above.

i resent margiela for labeling this as a 'male fragrance' (come on, guys! if any house would manage androgyny or not being so gender-specific....ugh!) as i find this a very unisexy/androgynous/dirty scent. Those masculine top notes settle down into a very sweet, dirty, smoky vanilla that on me lingers close to my skin for nearly 24 hours. Maybe there's some joke there? That the fleeting and shitty top notes go away in a few minutes but smell like every other citrus-pepper fragrance out there, and then immediately change into something different and far more complex? i love that the base notes are sweet, but don't at all feel 'girly.'

i suspect there is a polarizing skin chemistry thing happening here as well - from reviews it seems it goes sour on some folks after a few hours or the bitter notes or cheap 'masculine cologne' bits that faded on me within minutes come out. but on me this is goddang perfect. i find the first few minutes harsh, but after that i will spend the next 12 hours trying to find ways to surreptitiously sniff my own wrist. On me it settles down into this perfect dirty subtle smoky dirty burnt vanilla-amber that lingers for over 18 hours, but only an inch from the skin - which to me is, uh, really sexy.

Another note is that I have an awful lot of perfumes but most of them have a vanilla/amber/wood/spice base note, and the lingering notes of this work perfectly with that. My scarves and jackets all hold some days of old scents, and if you're a fan of dirty or spicy vanilla/spice/wood/amber bases, this will work just fine with whatever is lingering on your clothes or bedsheets.

jazzfan
jazzfan

NightNymph, Une Voix Noire of Serge Lutens is the answer.
Enjoy.

NightNymph
NightNymph

what would be softer, smoother (more femme) version of this?

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

I absolutely LOVE this scent on paper. However, on my skin it goes on and stays a sharp, very masculine leather. I can only wish it had developed the smokey notes of tobacco and the caramel of a rum cocktail... I suppose my wallet is grateful, even if my nose is not. Beautifully done, for the right skin chemistry.

EidUmar
EidUmar

The perfect casual evening setting accessory with rolled up sleeves and loafers. Jazz Club is the hidden gem in the streets, a visit that always warrant a second trip or third.

wonderlife
wonderlife

This is for those special nights when you want to smell like a freshly rolled Cuban.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

JAZZ CLUB. Dark smokey bar with Miles Davis on trumpet blaring from the JBL speakers. Filled tables with highball glasses and dirty ashtrays. Cool women with Lauren Bacall hair, turtlenecks, and heavy perfume. It's all here in this stimulating scent that features tobacco, leather and rum. I am not sure if I want to smell like this, but I got more compliments, people asking where to get it, and sniffs from bystanders than any other perfume I have worn. Sillage, projection and longevity all good. The bottle says "Heady cocktails and cigars" - exactly!

Medusa82
Medusa82

why hasnt BARBER SHOP been added to the lineup on this website

mvd99
mvd99

This is sold as a men's frag but I bought a bottle for myself and I LOVE it, it's sexy, smooth, boozy and warm and is a major compliment getter. The name is spot-on as well, it totally puts you in a dark, smokey club with a drink in your hand. I mean that in the best way since it never gets dirty or ashy smelling. On drydown, it tempers into something sensual that reminds me of Kate Walsh's Boyfriend, which is another love. Don't be afraid to try it ladies! On me, it is also a sillage and longevity BOMB. I love it so much I get annoyed when my husband uses it.

liluliluka
liluliluka

I'm a girl and I know it's a men's fragrance,but thought I will try it (I think both can wear).It is a very nice smell,kinda sweet,the rum note comes out mostly on my skin and it's not that interesting.I do have a big collection and it's not my favorite,if anyone wants to swap let me know! It does stay a long time!

r0ark
r0ark

Great fragrance! This smells like cherry cola rum mix.

Atticusalexis
Atticusalexis

I like the way Jazz Club smells on the paper strip and I absolutely love the bottle..... In terms of packaging it is exactly what I would expect from this fashion forward house. Let's talk about the scent....I love it, but only on the tester strip. When i tried it on my skin,, Yes iit has that boozy, sweet warm with a hint of tobacco, however I get no leather at all which i am quite disappointed. I would have expect the tobacco and leather to be more prominent. But no, I get nothing of that good stuff on my skin, but on the paper strip it is good! This, I am glad that I don't have to pay for a lesson learnt. The longetivity is poor even for EDT standard, it seems to just disappear on my skin, it sort of accelerated to the dry down in 2 hours. I have oily skin and most scents tend to linger longer but not this. The dry down is quite nice, it reminded me of Yves Rocher's Ambre Noire, not the same but similar vibe.
Pity, would have been a winner for me if only the tobacco and leather is stronger , and longer longetivity.

josevancouver

I still love this stuff, but the more I wear it, the more disappointed I am with the longevity....

s.w.
s.w.

Absolute unisex and lovely fragrance. Soft and sweet, attractive and alluring. I'm not satisfied with the longevity, but probably it should be some minus in this beauty :)

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

The top notes and heart notes are pleasant enough, and this has a kind of Son of Derby/Son of Polo Green vibe going for it with additional sweet boozy notes. Nice. The basenotes begin to smell a bit cheap, synthetic and overly-familiar, however. Not a fan of those.

The real problem here is longevity and sillage, which is tragic. This stuff is just way too faint. It's still barely on my cotton shirt an hour after spraying.

So... no. If this kind of formulation is your thing try Polo Green, Derby or even Mugler Pure Malt instead. And if you're on a budget, try Tim McGraw Southern Comfort (another boozy scent that doesn't last long - but it costs less).

josevancouver

Started wearing this more as the weather cools down. Love this stuff. The combination of leather, tobacco and the sweet rum note just makes this a sexy fragrance that I am going to be wearing a lot this fall/winter. This fragrance has been flying under the radar but it is very nice, and one of the few 'loves' of mine (I have a lot of 'likes'). Dior Homme and Aventus are my other 'loves'.

aschiffm
aschiffm

The name doesn't lie. Smells like pleasantly slightly sweet cigarettes. Dream perfume for me! Edgy..

dizzy242
dizzy242

I was given a sample of this at Bergdoff waaay before it reached Sephoras. Reading the note breakdown I was really excited to sample this. Unfortunately this was a complete letdown. I'm sorry to those that love this but this is a complete mess of fragrance. It's like a sweet blob of a syrupy alcoholic beverage you spilt on yourself and let it dry on your skin. Awfully cluttered composition with little to no refinement. This is a perfect example of where niche does not equal quality. I gave this three more tries thinking I was being overly critical. But no, each test was the same......a sweet syrupy blob.

ffgg
ffgg

I love this fragrance. I bough it for myself as a major splurge for my birthday after lusting after it for months. The opening is smoky, sexy, and (on a woman) a bit masculine, but not in a cheap aftershave kind of way. It lasts for such a long time, transforming into a very smooth creamy scent (on me). All together gorgeous, would call it a unisex scent. One spray dose the job and is almost overwhelming!

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

Jazz Club, in a word, nice.

Pleasant boozy tone but not overly sweet. I like it more in the drydown when the leather comes out and gives a certain animalic quality.
My problem with boozy scents is that I feel an immediate strong like, sometimes even love, but they're often one dimensional and I quickly get tired of them.
Like other MMM fragrances this is straightforward and easy to like. I'm sure I'll manage to finish my sample, but I don't think I'll miss it when it's gone.

mse-21
mse-21

Had the chance to try this one on my skin. Its a very well made warm leathery scent. Perfect for a romantic dinner!

The dry down on my skin reminded me of john varvatos (original) which I used to wear several years ago. It was probably because of the warm leathery theme they share. This one has a more solid structure, smells better, stays longer, and projects better.

josevancouver

I love this stuff. Wow....my kind of fragrance. Warm, spicy...intoxicating in a way that I find Dior Homme intoxicating. Sweet with the rum...with tobacco and pink pepper and neroli. This kind of reminds me of Frapin 1270, but I like this a lot more. I have a lot of 'likes' in my collection...at this point, this is a love. This is sexy stuff...

spcmiller
spcmiller

This sold out at Sephora in less than a day... this my friends is the definition of a 'sleeper'. It's an absolute delight and a rare, thick, heady joy in a world inundated with aquatics and Aqua di Gio wannabes.

muzzbait
muzzbait

this reminds me of 212 vip for women by carolina herrera. rummy and fruity...

TeacupLovesFragrances
TeacupLovesFragrances

This is more of a view of the entire collection. Last two paragraphs focuse on Jazz Club.

When these fragrances, Replica by MMM, came out, I was super excited. The idea was very alluring.
Yesterday I finally ran out to Sephora to sniff them out because I was bound to like one. Well, I was very hopeful of it.

I picked up Lazy Sunday Morning, wasn't for me even though it sounded like I would like it.
Beach Walk did indeed smell like a beach, but was too coconutty to me and I didn't want to pay $125 for a coconut scent when Lavanila makes a beautiful natural one for around half.
Funfair Evening didn't appeal to me.

I recieved samples of the three that appealed to me the most: Promenade in the Gardens, Flower Market, and Jazz Club.
I wore Promenade in the Gardens yesterday and it does smell fresh and like walking through gardens but I feel like I have smelled it before in a parfum.

Flower Market smells beautiful, fresh, and clean. Like a sweet bouquet of flowers. I may have smelled it somewhere else though. However, there is something unique about it underneath that makes it indeed an upscale fragrance that I can't quite put my finger one, but it is a nice one overall.

Jazz Club is the naughty one of them all. It's labeled as a male fragrance, which is understandable just by looking at the notes. But worry not if you're are not a fan of cologne-like scents. This is indeed masculine, but it has its own sexy feminine, enticing qualities.
Upon first whiff if has a sort of boozy aura, spicy a bit, the rum. Underneath that lays some sort of sexual allure. It's provocative. Honestly, there is some sexual tension between this fragrance and my scent right now.
This takes me back to Parisian nights last summer at a local bar on Rue Saint-Jacques, near where I was staying while studying abroad.
The boozy air, dim lights, surrounded by new friends, chatter of foreign tongues and old hits playing in the background. It's very relaxing but some sort of adrenaline lurks inside the fragrance as well. I can smell the energy of going to Parisian nightclubs as well.
That's the strange thing about this fragrance. I smell it once and I may have one idea about it, but then after sniffing a few times afterwards, there is something new discovered. Honestly, when I first smelled this, I did not think it had much dimension, but Jazz Club has certainly proved me wrong. When smelling this one, you need to come with an open mind and time to explore it's layers.

I live in NYC currently and I have been to Brooklyn, but not to any bars or clubs, so I am not sure of how accurate it is to that description, but if Brooklyn's nightlife is anything like Paris', this fragrance will not fall short of expectations.

And here are the notes from MMM:
TOP NOTES :

BASE NOTES :
Tobacco leaf absolute
Vanilla bean
Styrax resin

In answer to the question below...
This has great longevity but better than Pure Havanne? I don't see them as being worthy of comparison, scent wise and who needs better longevity than Pure Havanne? It's a powerhouse!!!

Not a huge fan of boozy scents as a rule but I've liked a few with rum notes recently so this intrigues and I also love jazz so this fragrance appeals to me before even sniffing it out.
Now that I have I'm very impressed it's lovely, A kind of boozy, tonka bean and tobacco vibe with a leathery/vanilla drydown. I'll be honest I expected something heavier and more avant garde when attempting to evoke a jazz club vibe. I half expected it to be a bit more raw, dirty, earthy or smokey maybe a heroin note in there? It has a bit of those elements but is pretty smooth and refined on the whole and will appeal to a wide audience I suspect.
Projection is moderate and longevity is good.
I'd recommend it.

amiakina
amiakina

The fragrance is very pleasant. But the name indicates a more powerful and intriguing fragrance. At the store I work, we mainly sold the fragrance to women.

MustafaDhyaaldain
MustafaDhyaaldain

Some say it is like Thierry mugler pure havane But with Some difference and better performance is it true??

Electrakatt
Electrakatt

I've been wanting to try this on for a while and since it finally got in stock at a local shop I hurried over.
It had already sold out but they got a tester out on request.
The lady first sprayed it on a piece of paper, and I found it to be interesting and musty, but pleasant.
So I asked the lady to spray some on my arm (she was gripping onto the bottle really tightly, it was a bit strange. I prefer to spray it on myself so I can control how much is applied but that didn't feel like an option.) she sprayed my entire arm with two huge sprays and also got it on my coat.
I was in no way prepared for what was about to hit me.
And BOOM! There it was, gut wrenching, mens locker room offensive sweat stench that just wouldn't wouldn't go away.
The nuances I had smelled on the paper were all non existant at this point, nothing but stinky man sweat remained.
I couldn't wash it off until I got home and by then it had settled into my skin, I just couldn't wash it off no matter how much I tried, I must have washed my entire arm at least fifteen times.
In desperation i rubbed lime juice over my arm hoping that would either neutralise or at least overshadow the sweat smell.
It still wasn't gone but at least it smelled way less, so I covered my arm in the nearest perfume at hand and finally got some relief.
Sadly my coat still smelled.
I sprayed perfume on that too and I hope it helps or I'm afraid I'll have to pay for dry cleaning.
It's so strange, I adore the other maison margiela scents, but I just found this one to be offensive, at least on my skin.
I usually like wearing men's fragrances and enjoy leathery tobacco scents but this was just a big no no for me.
Also after I smelled it on my skin I sniffed the sample again to get a whiff of what I had previously enjoyed but all I got was more of the stench I felt was radiating from me.

smellysock
smellysock

Goes on sweet. Sweet and boozy with too much drink mixer in the mix. Settles down comfortably and smells pleasant. Where is the leather? It is heady, which I like. Three out of five drink stirrers.

Ovamka
Ovamka

Yesterday I walked in to a store looking for a fragrance to wear when going out.
After sniffing numerous suggestions made by perfume-lady I bought this one, and I thank her for suggesting it to me.

I'm not an expert on notes but by looking at the Margiela website, and comparing what I smell to the notes listed I am able to make them out.

Notes listed on the website are;
-Top: pink pepper, lemon, neroli.
-Middle: rum, clary sage, vetiver.
-base: tobacco leaf, vanilla bean, styrax.

I instantly get the pepper and a little lemon, the neroli kicks in after about a minute and will come an go throughout whenever it pleases.
Clary sage kicks in shortly after the neroli and this gives the fragrance some freshness, albeit a sweet, spicy freshness because of the rum.
The rum is a dark spicy Caribbean rum and is noticeable from beginning to end. The vetiver is quite smooth and sits in the background for a long time. After about 15 minutes this fragrance gets darker/heavier and a little balmy because the vanilla and styrax get stronger. The tobacco kicks in to take some of the sweetness away. After about an hour or a little longer, after everything is blended in, this fragrance gets a spicy, sweet, leathery, smoky, animalic character on me.
This is the moment I felt really glad I purchased this fragrance.

It's a dirty in the good way type of creation.
"Jazz Club" is supposed to evoke the ambiance of a Brooklyn jazz club. It might just do that, if the jazz club doubled as a brothel.

This fragrance is quite strong, in my case, it will last me all night.
Projection is good, I sprayed scarcely this morning because I didn't know what to expect. The fact is, I didn't go unnoticed at work.
If sprayed heavily, this will turn in to a sillage monster for a good part of the day.

Although this is a "men's", women can definitely pull this off.

evacecilias
evacecilias

Tried this today and now looking at notes I can understand the first reviewers opinion.
To me- it was a lovely unisex fragrance of fresh ambery like notes.
Jazz club reminded me of a lighter gris clair after a few minutes wear.
The opening and heart was totally fresh unisex but tthe drydown is not very rich of notes but has some smokey boozy feeling to it
, though not very rich or deep.
The drydown is more maleish but I could certainly wear it .
Jazz Club and Beach walk are my favorites from this line !
This is pretty expensive for what you get but still cheaper than the Lutens.
If you want an even cheaper choice you can try the body shop cheapy and see if you get the faint Gris clair/Jazz club like I did !

Update - my husband almost choke when I passed by wearing this, he obviously doesnt't like me wearing male scents , or I just have to spray with a lighter hand...
So - my husband did not like it on me , so I gave it to him and I liked it on him too.... unfortunately he din't like it at all !
So now its on its way to a guy that I hope will wpull this off , cause it's great !

jaymatff
jaymatff

Oh Lawd! i am so disppointed in this fragrance. Please note this is not really a review but more my personal feeling after spraying Jazz Club on my wrist and on paper. i was so eager to try it because the notes are very appealing to me: tobacco, rum, leather... Say no more! there I come sniffing around.
So yes, what a disappointment... there's something in Jazz Club that seems so cloying and cheap smelling to me. It got me nauseous like when I smell oh so hated (by me!) Tocade de Rochas. I was really expecting to be taken into a liquor stained leathery jazz club with hints of smoke, a place somewhat raw and a bit sultry.
Not happening here to me at all though. All I got was a rounded kind of sweet cloying fragrance that sits way too far from the promises it had been whispering to my nose sinc the day it was announced to be released.