Designers » M » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Bois de Turquie Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier for women and men

Bois de Turquie Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier for women and men
dislike

Bois de Turquie Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier for women and men Pictures

Bois de Turquie by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Bois de Turquie was launched in 2008. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Millet Lage. Top notes are orange blossom, mandarin orange and bergamot; middle notes are orris root, jasmine, west indian bay and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, incense and myrrh.

Orange Blossom Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Orris Root Jasmine West Indian Bay Geranium

Sandalwood Patchouli Incense Myrrh

Mimmina Red

Bois de Turquie Fragrance Reviews

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

I get a slightly woody/earthy drydown with some citruses mixed in. The orris root is also present from beginning to end making it lean more towards a feminine than masculine scent. The sandalwood/patch base is very light but has good longevity. This is the 4th from the house that I have tried and I don't think I will be going any further.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Bois de Turquie by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is a gorgeous iris/sandalwood composition and one of my favorite scents for every day wear. It starts out sweet with notes of iris, mandarin orange, and orange blossom and quickly develops on the skin to expose sandalwood and bay leaf while a hint of myrrh lurks in the background. The iris note is beautiful and it never becomes too powdery because it is tamed by the sandalwood and perky bay. BdT makes me feel beautiful, approachable, and feminine; I could wear this everywhere and feel comfortable and appropriate. Longevity is mediocre, so I apply it to my undergarments. Projection is interesting because some of the notes sit very close to the skin, while the floral component leaves a decent trail. Overall, BdT is quite lovely and high quality.

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

I enjoy long reviews that are well written/well intentioned...and there is much to be said for 17th Century literature: Donne, Marvell, Shakespeare...

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

Ever since I heard of this I meant to sample it, but for one reason or another it's not until now that I finally have. The notes list had me intrigued: I love iris, myrrh, geranium, cinnamon, sandalwood, orangeflower and ginger. Of course, you know how it goes with notes lists..

Anyway, before I continue, here is the official notes list taken from NST

bergamot, tangerine, orange blossom, Laurus nobilis (bay laurel), geranium, iris, jasmine, ginger, cinnamon, sandalwood, patchouli, myrrh and frankincense

When first sprayed it was a bit of a shock. It seems the iris note landed first on my skin and was all I could smell for a few moments, something like the opening of Infusion d'Homme but much more pleasant, and much smoother and even velvety in texture. Moments later an equally smooth tangerine became perceptible, and it was rounded and deepened by hints of cinnamon and perhaps ginger. It is all smooth and sweet but far from cloying or thin. I'm trying to think of any scents that this smells like, but can't really - I guess the closest description would be crossing the opening of Lacoste Elegance (which I always thought had a sort of cream soda opening) with Infusion d'Homme - but it smells better than either of those and likely better than the combination of them.

So in a sense I guess I agree with the reviews I've read where they mention a cream soda like accord. It is faintly similar, but again, not at all effervescent like soda, but instead smooth and velvety. Somehow though, it avoids coming across as flat soda.

Within 10 minutes the bay and geranium are faintly noticeable, and from here to the heart the scent becomes progressively drier. The bay never becomes downright spicy, but is used in a restrained and skillful manner to prevent the scent from becoming overbearing, which could easily have happened if no counterpoint to the sweet/round/velvety opening emerged. It's amazing how something so rich and creamy becomes dry and even a bit dusty. The iris takes center stage in the heart and makes me think of a mix of the earthy iris of Iris Bleu Gris and the clean iris of Infusion d'Homme. The slight rubbery nuances of this particular iris blend suggest a suede like note in the context of the accord. The sandalwood and myrrh combo of the base are creeping into view now, and no doubt helped contribute to the 'drying effect.' The cream soda accord is still present but fading by the minute, and this stage of transition is absolutely beautiful. It calls to mind a temple of some sort - perhaps turkish, perhaps oriental - sweet spices, large and extravagant oriental rugs, incense burning in the distance. It is still early morning and the sun is just rising. A crisp and slightly cool air teases your hair while you sit in the lotus position and meditate. The juxtaposition of warm and cool, wet and dry, introspective and extrovertive qualities (and notes) is really amazing and unique.

From here on out the myrrh, sandalwood and to a lesser degree iris dominate to the end, with a faint patchouli note adding hints of a chocolate like note (faint though, and not at all in a gourmand manner). The smoothness of it all is now moreso than ever suggestive of suede. It's been a long time since I've sniffed it, but it called to mind Daim Blond's drydown. Like a cross between Daim Blond and the new Santal Noble.

The experience is akin to a small spiritual journey through the temple. At first you take in all of the sights, sounds and smells, the amazing architecture. The beauty of the earth as well as mankind and its accomplishments and creations fills you with awe, wonder and appreciation. Then you sit and meditate and clear your mind of earthly pleasures, remove the veil of maya, and are left with an even deeper sense of awe and wonder of merely being alive and conscious.

That was my experience on my first wearing. Some other random thoughts and observations: Overall the scent is quite light and ethereal. It is not raw as so many other MPGs, but instead extremely subdued, well blended, and restrained. Yet it still smells quite natural and very high quality, imo. The heart of the fragrance also reminded me of another MPG fragrance - Or Des Indes - although while ODI is an opulent and unabashed oriental, BdT was again lighter and more restrained. ODI *is* the olfactory equivalent of indulging oneself - perhaps hedonistically so - while in a lush oriental palace. BdT could take place in the same setting, but is the spiritual view of the same surroundings. It is still going fairly strong after 4 hours, but it is easy to lose track of because of the nature of the base accord - it is light and suede like. I think I detect a hint of vanilla further rounding out the sandalwood/myrrh/iris combo. Sillage is actually quite good - even after four hours - but again, easy to lose track of.

It is not a gourmand nor oriental - but some kind of combination of the two. The way it combines these two and manages to still stay relatively light and airy recalls V&R's Antidote - not that they smell anything alike - but how it managed to combine citrus and sporty with oriental and still stay relatively light. Also like Antidote, this is one of the most evolving fragrances I have smelled.

While this is light and restrained enough to be a contender for a 'daily wear' fragrance, for me the associations and ride it takes me on makes that seem like a sacrilege proposal. Perhaps best worn on an introspective walk on a spring or fall evening. Or to church temple or mosque. Or on a lazy sunday while reading a really good book.

Bois de Turquie by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier 4.37 out of 5 based on 56 ratings and 4 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Bois de Turquie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Bois de Turquie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bois de Turquie by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bois de Turquie by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.