Designers » M » Oriental Floral « Groups

Essence Marc Jacobs for women

Essence Marc Jacobs for women
dislike

Essence by Marc Jacobs is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Essence was launched in 2003. Top notes are spices, freesia and bergamot; middle notes are iris, orange blossom, gardenia and turkish rose; base notes are tolu balsam, sandalwood, musk and benzoin.

Spices Freesia Bergamot

iris Orange Blossom Gardenia Turkish Rose

Tolu Balsam Sandalwood Musk Benzoin

Marc Jacobs
Marc Jacobs Perfume Essence

Essence Fragrance Reviews

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

I was able to obtain a bottle of this again and I'm really happy I did! I suppose you have to like gardenia and resinous notes to appreciate it, which I do. Essence is very similar to Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs. In fact, to my nose it's basically the same scent with added depth and less transparency. There is a somewhat synthetic quality about it, but not in the chemical, nose burning way. Just in a way that it smells nothing like nature. As for the plastic smell people are referring to, I think it's the milky gardenia mixed with benzoin giving this off. I don't find it plasticy at all. It's just a pretty casual spring scent that I really enjoy.

katushka37
katushka37

I had a bottle of this perfume for quite sometime and didn't appreciate this fragrance when I was younger.
It is a beautiful white floral...it smells like a wedding bouquet or spring garden full of white flowers. I don't usually like florals, I find them too nauseating or boring but this one is a masterpiece.

caca102
caca102

Does not work for me. It is mainly a creamy/plastic-y gardenia, which is quite normal for me with gardenia fragrances, cheap or expensive. Cannot smell any citrus or spice. Good thing that I only have a sample vial (not decant).

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

this is gardenia..but not a cheap gardenia..smells clean, fresh and elegant..and sexy..so many friends have asked me and wanted to write down the name of this..i just absolutely love it..i have the body cream as well and it's really divine..

phia143
phia143

This is a very light scent, it would be perfect for someone who prefers a light perfume. On my skin it didn't last long. Ill have to try it again and time it because i don't mind light scents as long as the perfume lingers for at least for 4 hrs.

I agree w/everyone else it does smell like the original. There is a very slight diff between the two. Both the original and this one have gardenia in them but i think it is the Turkish rose and freesia that make this one a little more floral.

This is a fresh, clean, and light scent. Very shower fresh!!!

sofeaabdullah
sofeaabdullah

Well i agreed with those reviewers saying that its has the gardenia scent. I tried yesterday evening at about 8pm and i can still smell it when i wake up at 7a.m. I mean i applied them after taking my shower. I have to say that the scent is very long-lasting & ya it depends on the body chemistry which i think this perfume has amazed me for the first time. I love the gardenia scent which is not overpowering but it has the soft side of the smell which stays with you for quite some time. I love this one & as i say its very long lasting perfume.:)

I have always wanted this one, ever since my brother brought a sample home to me years ago, but since I don't wear florals very often, I'm afraid I'll get tired of it fast. I am not crazy about gardenia perfumes because I much prefer the flower in real life to wearing the scent, but this particular fragrance is really special. It's evident that the the creator took significant care in blending the gardenia with other notes. He (or she) allows the gardenia to sparkle and shine, front and center, without being a single note.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

This is gorgeous! A deeper, richer version of the original MJ and simply divine. The main gardenia theme has a creamy background with just enough darkness from the balsam and benzoin to make it not too prissily clean. Its not 'all fur coat and no knickers' like Fracas can be(!)- it's ladylike but with a wink and a certain smile!

Marc Jacobs ESSENCE (edp), a close cousin to MARC JACOBS, opens with a burst of freesia that gives way shortly thereafter to abundant gardenias lightly embellished by iris and rose and nestled in a creamy base that cradles the florals for the rest of the day.

Something about ESSENCE is even more scrumptious than the original MJ. I believe that it is the musky balsam benzoin base supporting the multicolored florals, in this case.

Great scent! This is basically gardenia and a very good one! It starts a little green and then it becomes a creamy lovely, stable, feminine, long-lasting gardenia. Basenotes give sillage and duration.
I'm happy that it works well with my skin chemistry and makes me feel ladylike in an intense and modern way.
This is an upgraded classic Amarige. I had a few samples and I faved about them! I almost drank the content (well, my skin did!) and lay down in dreaming mood. It has something in common with Fracas, which I also love.
It's very sunny, positive, elegant but not too demure. It has some kick and sexiness. Nothing I could smell on a man without feeling confused, LOL! If you like gardenia it's worthy to try it.

F_A
F_A

For my nose Essence smells of fresh and light linden blossoms. Could be a great fragrance but the staying power on my skin is very poor.

Mals86
Mals86

I wanted to love this one. When I look at the notes, I see many that I love, and I had hoped that this would be a terrific scent.

Alas, all I experience from it is GARDENIA. Now, I like gardenia. I really do. I have at least three other fragrances with a strong gardenia note. But this one is ALL GARDENIAS, ALL THE TIME. 24 HOUR GARDENIA. GARDENIAS R US. I never get even a hint of the spice, or rose, or iris, or even the benzoin, which tends to stand out to my nose in other fragrances.

On someone else, it may be layered and complex. If so, I'm jealous (I wanted those spices)! As it is, I will content myself with the gardenia scents I already own.

Essence by Marc Jacobs 4.33 out of 5 based on 90 ratings and 12 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Marc Jacobs Essence fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Marc Jacobs Essence, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Essence by Marc Jacobs. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Essence by Marc Jacobs represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.