Designers » M » Aromatic Spicy « Groups

Russian Tea Masque for women and men
dislike

leather
smoky

Russian Tea by Masque is a Aromatic Spicy fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Russian Tea was launched in 2014. The nose behind this fragrance is Julien Rasquinet. The fragrance features mint, black pepper, raspberry, black tea, magnolia, immortelle, leather, incense, birch and labdanum.

Mint Black Pepper Raspberry Black Tea Magnolia Immortelle Leather Incense Birch Labdanum

Russian Tea Fragrance Reviews

Q80
Q80

This one is too minty to my taste then comes the tea in. I can't sense leather here other than the minty tea notes. Kind of similar to "Tango" from the same house but fresher. It's too heavy to my taste on the side of sour mint.

ñasory1994
ñasory1994

عطر الإسترخاء رائحة الشاي فيه جميله شوي واشربه ههههه

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - birch leather tea.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I didn't get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 12hrs consistently.

psebi101
psebi101

It opens up with green mint enveloped by smoke with hints of something sweet, which could be the raspberry. Immediately starting to detect some spices and a dry bitter raw leather which I will pick up for a couple of hours. The leather feels too old fashioned to me and it gives me the same feeling as Habit Rouge does, of a much early era. I much prefer the current modern leathers (regardless of being the polish or animalic type). The black tea leaves appear also, timidly and with a nice leafy feeling at first, but they will get more pronounced and smoky-dry with time. The leather will not hang for very long, leaving a long dry down of smoky tea leaves with a minty aroma, the smoke being denser than in the beginning.

I find the Russian Tea more like putting my nose inside of a tea bag while being near a campfire, rather than drinking a cup of tea.

All said, this is not my cup of tea, but it could have been if the whole composition felt more modern. I believe it's for the ones who love the classic perfumes. Regarding the performance, it never jumps too much of the skin , but lasts a good 12 hours very close to the skin.

Scent: 6.5/10
Projection: 5/10

orabsolute
orabsolute

The raspberry, smoke, and mint combine to make the first hour or so pretty medicinal-smelling for me. Once the raspberry recedes, it gets less cloying, becoming more of a tea/leather scent. Seemingly quality ingredients, but doesn't quite work on my skin. However, I could see the right person pulling this off well in cold weather.

mikenac
mikenac

Beautiful green, minty, tea opening. I love the "green" note in this. Though I get some light smokiness, it is nowhere near as smoky as Bois d'Ascese. Under the fresh opening is a core of smooth leather that stays bright.

This is a nice scent, but I actually wish it were a little darker with a little more of that "caravan tea" smoke.

Little Prince
Little Prince

The most versatile and elegant outing from the Masque line Russian Tea is a spicy fresh leather-tea fragrance with a smoky (fire camp) backbone that feels bold and evocative and a sweet musky base that adds comfort and allure.
Created by the Bois D’Ascese perfumer Julien Rasquinet Russian Tea opens with a bright green pepper-mint combo with some raspberry that grants a sweet vibe contrasting the bitter smoky facets of the perfume. This juxtaposition of opposite notes works beautifully and has definitely interesting, to say the least, results. A short of introspective journey in the grand outdoors. The heart of the scent gets more to the leather-tea vibe that the fragrance claims and succeeds again in mixing opposites; the transparency of tea notes with the tarry smoky birch wood leather accord. Here the pivot is a strong immortelle note with its thick spicy-sweet nature connecting the conflicting bands. The base is as aforementioned a musky convenient concoction from labdanum with some incense.
The fragrance although contains heavy notes feels very transparent and wears very easily making it suitable for various occasions without having to wear it only “for a night out”. This fact was the most interesting thing of Russian Tea since I have become bored of “fragrances for occasions”. Very good.

K1
K1

Tchaikovsky violin plays in radio. Home, carpets, some frames of lubok paintings and family pictures. No one speaks a word, dragon exhale steam sound of a fat brass samovar tells everything…
Outside; woodpeckers on birches - the worried slender beholders of forests - and winter is almost come, no leaves left for trees to hinder the expansion of remote sounds of woodpeckers towards all entire woods. A tall man, golden beard, walks in with trunks of wood to charge fireplace. Smell of tea spread through home. Glass cups, cakes and beet sugars are on table. It's tea time...
Groundbreaking woody leather tea
★★★★★

gelo999
gelo999

It has long wanted to test work Masque Milano, I really caught the attention of both the presentation and the good reviews, so I decided I asked a sample of 5 of his most representative fragrances.

Sometimes unexpectedly you find an excellent fragrance that leaves you speechless. As this happened with Russian Tea.

This is a scent where the main note in black tea and accompanied the start of a sweet raspberry note with a hint of mint, popping a smoky flavor changes suggestive note the contribution of magnolia incense.

Drying is a bed leather soft suede shooting in a dark and warm note birch surrounding the outcome and makes for a very fine and elegant fragrance.

The set has a balance and you marvel brought directly to Russian folklore and customs.

Rasquinet flawless work.

Rating: 8

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

TEA FOR TWO…ME FOR YOU

(Anyone remember that song? Or am I aging myself?)

Love the opening. Smokey Black Tea. With a hint of something sweet in the back room.

As the fragrance progresses, the smokiness mellows, the sweet becomes more present, and the tea remains consistent.

If you like a bit of smoke with your sweet, or a bit of sweet with your smoke,
sample this with your afternoon tea and crumpets.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

Interesting and unusual in a good way.
The start is incredible. The first few seconds are pure, fresh black tea. It's like taking the lid off a tea caddy and breathing in the scent of the contents at close range.
Then suddenly there is a huge, bright, loud, what smells like menthol/eucalyptus/tea-tree oil note. You just opened your tea caddy and unbeknownst to you a female soprano opera singer has crept up behind you and suddenly lets out a bright, loud high "c". The minty note makes me think of olbas oil or some similar cold vapour-remedy in its potency and effectiveness at clearing the sinuses (thanks for that). For me it's still good though: I'm a mint fan.
Anyway, you jump 3 feet in the air when the lady sings and spill the contents of your tea caddy all over the kitchen, and the room is filled with the fresh, lovely scent of tea, mint, tobacco, sweet hay over the next hour or so. Frankly I don't get the strong leather or smoke vibes that others have. After about 4 hours all that's left is a faint, fruity skin scent - I guess that's the raspberry, although I couldn't have pinpointed the fruit to anything specific . I also wish the sillage were a bit bigger and the longevity, well, longer.
Overall though it's a rather lovely, strange thing. It's lovely enough and strange enough for me to put it on my "want" list, but I won't buy it unless the current price, which is just silly, Is more than halved.
August 2015

Later edit : as I experience more scents with an important mint note, I have come to respect Russian tea more. Now I am inclined to back track as regards what I said about the price. I think this is worth paying for.
January 2016

svetlana.kogan.73
svetlana.kogan.73

I loved the smoky black tea vibe I get from the Russian Tea by Masque. The question was: could I carry off this rather masculine fragrance? Apparently so, by layering a touch of rose over it - something like Voleur de Roses or Amber and Roses. Who says that Russians cannot drink tea, smoke, wear leather jackets, and smell the roses at the same time?

katherine.stone.33
katherine.stone.33

I know people on this site tend to give these overly narrative and florid descriptions of floating down rivers in gondolas, or dancing in the monsoon blah blah. but honestly this is the first perfume thats ever made me feel a story in it. its a simple story- cream tea on a rainy afternoon- but a comforting one.

It may be called Russian Tea, and while there is a certain eastern spice to it especially with its almost Lapsang tea note, to me its more of tea and scones. The tea note itself is intensely smoky and incense like, much like a good Lapsang Souchong or in this case perhaps Russian Caravan. It has a slight creaminess to it, though decidedly not vanilla, as vanilla notes on my skin often drown out everything else. Here the creaminess just gentles out the otherwise perhaps overpowering smoke and sharp sweet raspberry.

The sense memory it evokes, of being curled up with a steaming mug and a good book, hiding out from the dreary english weather, has made this my instant Autumn/Winter go to scent.

Sugandaraja
Sugandaraja

There are a few fragrances that share this over-steeped black tea accord ( Floris Malmaison and Kilian Imperial Tea come to mind as others ), and I must say I far prefer it to the green tea accords that were everywhere a few years ago. Here it's really exaggerated, almost smoky: it reminds me of how I used to make ice tea, steeping the tea overnight and then diluting it with lemon and water until it tasted right.

Both this tea accord and the raspberry note are very vivid, making it one of the few fragrances I can easily recommend. Do you want to smell like black tea with raspberry jam? If yes, you will like this scent. Expect no more, and no less.

Allen-at-home
Allen-at-home

Basically, raspberry tea, but the raspberry isn’t overwhelming at all. Although a unisex fragrance, I think it borders feminine. Nothing dark or mysterious about it, in fact, it’s a little too bright for my personal taste. And I’m not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I feel sinus pressure in my head since I applied this morning. And I recall pain in my head the LAST time I wore this, too. Overall, for a more masculine tea fragrance, I prefer Bvlgari Pour Homme from 1996.

cloyd42
cloyd42

This seems to be an inferior version of Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe (an extremely misleading name). It has the same leather/tea/smokey birch accord but is unfortunately off due to a sweet note (the raspberry?) that takes the whole thing over into a spicy stale tobacco mishmash. Individual notes are there and obvious but get a few inches away and the effect is a leather club chair owned by a heavy smoker. Ah well, onward and upward.

Sillage: 2-3 ft, intrusive
Longevity: 4-5 hours
Fabulosity: Amtrak smoking car
Value to price ratio: mediocre

RickyDot
RickyDot

Yes, it smells like a bag of very rich black tea. That is pretty much all there is to it. I would say it's for an older man in a suit. It's definitely not for me. Not that I dislike the scent, it's just not something I want to smell like.

By the way, it projects VERY well.

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

يعتبر الشاي الروسي مشروباً شعبياً لاتكاد تخلوا اوقاتهم من كوب من الشاي والمفارقة العجيبة انهم يتناولون الحلى والفواكه مع الشاي بخلافنا :)، عرف الروس الشاي قديماً عندما كان يستوردونه
من الصين عبر ظهور الجمال التي كانت تأتي لهم على شكل قوافل. الى ان اضحى يستزرع حاليا في روسيا، ومن المسلمات ان الشاي ليس مشروب يقتصر على دولة ما بل هو مشروب عالمي، ومحدثكم من محبي الشاي وخاصة الذي يعد بالطريقة التركية او كما يطلق عليه الاخوه في الشام شاي الخميره بحيث يطبخ الشاي ببخار الماء على نار هادئة، ومن اجود وانسب انواع الشاي لهذه الطريقة هو شاي الربيع (التلقيمه ) :).

دار
Masque
لم يغب عن ذهنها هذ المشروب الباعث للاسترخاء برائحتة الزكية فقامت بعمل عطراً اسمته الشاي الروسي وكي لا اطيل واصفاً ومفصلا مكونات العطر فغالب مكونات العطر عندما تحاول تفسر تواجدها ستجد ان لها علاقة باعداد الشاي سواء عند الروس او غيرهم فمثلا الفروالة التي هي من احد المكونات العطر الغير بارزه تقدم مع الشاي الروسي وهكذا....

العطر عبارة عن رائحة الشاي تمام كالذي تشمه عند فتح علبه للشاي ورائحته هنا تذكرني برائحة شاي الربيع ( الاوراق الكاملة) وليست الاكياس التي تباع عند البوفيات :)

فالعطر يرتكز على رائحة الشاي الباعثة للاسترخاء والهدوء ممزوجة بروائح سمكوية خشبية محترقه بسبب نوتة خشب البتولاء والليذر مع لمحات سويتية خافته جدا جدا جدا بفضل الفرواله وزهرة الخلود ذات الطابع العسلي طبعا هما ليسوا بارزين ولا اريد التفصيل اكثر كي لا اشتتكم واخرجكم عن جوهر رائحة العطر التي هي الشاي بجانب اللمحات الدخانية، العطر موجه بالدرجه الاولى لمحبي الشاي ولمحبي الاستمتاع بالعطور بالنسبة لي قد استخدم هذا العطر في اوقات العمل وتحديداً وقت الظهر بعد فترة انهاك وتعب للاستخراء وتجديد النشاط :) او بعد وجبة مشاوي هههه :)

مكونات العطر حسب ماهو معلن رسمياً : الشاي،الفروالة،الجلود،اللابندنوم، زهرة الخلود،النعنان البخور، الفلف الاسود، زهرة المنغوليا،
بالرغم من تلك المكونات وكثرتها الا الشاي الشاي والروائح السمكوية الدخانية هي الابرز.

هذا مالدي

لاتنس ذكر الله والصلاة على النبي

sebeck666
sebeck666

a smoothy, a lttle bit bitter, strong-aromatic black tea scent with incense/pepper notes but somehow very nice , clean and fresh(mint+ pepper), with really good longlivety and siliage. a great fragrance for spring and fall!!!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Tea, leather and incense sounded promising but this one was not to my taste. The opening was an all out assault on my senses by a SWAT team of bitter tea leaves, over the top incense, pepper and dusty notes. If you like it strong this one is for you. I could see this smelling wonderful on a man, but it was not for me.

french_cactus
french_cactus

Just mega tea scent! I fully agree with Alfarom that Herba Fresca is here. But deluted largely by Lapsang Souchong tea. Something that Cartier La Treizieme Heure wanted to accomplish but failed, in partcular Masque made it much better at drydown, without the annoying dry synthetic note of Treizieme Heure. Very high tenancy. Now is on my buy list.

henri345que
henri345que

There are perfumes that create histories with their descriptions and there are perfumes that tell in their aromas the histories that their descriptions say to us.This last type is rarer, since it demands a bigger artistic effort and more freedom, be it in creation or in formula price. But the result is like Russian Tea, when it happens it is fantastic. This creation in inspired in the russian tea tradition and recounts it through its more traditional variety, the black tea, that was introduced on Russia more to the end of 16th century and started to be imported through the Tea Route between the Russia and China. The lading took from 16 to 18 months to arrive and its smell got smoky during the way because of the campfires on the trup. The tea was, once it arrived, prepared in a concentrated forma, in metal containers called Samovars, and each person would put its best water amount and drinked it with what accompaniments they desired. Russian Tea tells this history on a beautiful way on the skin. The smoky and hot tea aroma is enhanced by the more smoky leather nuance. The mint here seems to add a herbal dry complementar aroma.The mixture is very interesting, since that at the same time it reflects the tea history it also seems to reassemble another russian classic, the leather aroma, only here used in a secondary way with the tea.It's brilliant to me the strawberry use in this composition, that gives not too sweet and slightly bitter smell to it as the was being offered with a delicious fresh jam. The imortelle gives the overall idea a dark, sugary aroma, preparing the composition to a transition into a base of incensed swetness, of pretty cozy ambar accord, quite harmonious between its vanilla and benjoin nuances.The perfumer that created Russian Tea, Julian, seems to have constructed a new history combining elements of his two former creations to Naomi Goodsir: the ambery sugary sweetness can be seen on Cuir Velours whereas the dry and smoky aroma, similar to the black tea here, can be found on Bois d'Ascese. The combination of both with mint, strawberry and the classic russian leather aroma is striking, a history very well told.

bchavi
bchavi

This is really good. Out the gates, it's somewhat bitter, a little off-putting, but, ah, the drydown! Out come the berries and the tea note softens, the bitterness subsides. This is like Jubilation's wayward cousin!

Roge'
Roge'

If you're not familiar with Russian Tea, now is the time. I had a funny feeling that I was gonna like this but I had no idea that I would sacrifice bills that need to get paid just to attain this. I'm not gonna describe what I smell(everyone below has done a great job in their description). Instead, I'll just tell how this makes me feel. Sexy as a mutha!! Puts you in the mind of a well dressed smoker. Someone once said, "It's not a drug problem until you sell your VCR." From the smell of this sample, my VCR is going on EBay once I finish this review.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

This is a blockbuster. A dense bunch of black tea with some lemon, mint and strong leather, perfectly structured, except the extremely smoky and slightly rotten drydown. Really excellent, but God forbids to wear it in summer.

4/5 - if the drydown was more gracious, it would merit 5/5.

mathieuq613
mathieuq613

too me its relly good but they should have name it russian leater i barely smell the tea was hoping something els but if your loocking for a good dark rich leather check this out!

AveParfum
AveParfum

One of my favorite restaurants features a beautiful, shiny, silver, Russian samovar. I used to love to drink cup after highly caffeinated cup of the smoky Russian black tea with cream and sugar. The top notes smell just like it, literally like the tea itself without anything added. If you looked up the word "aromatic" in the dictionary, a picture of this perfume should be right next to it.

I initially found the perfume very dark and realistic. It literally smells like the bitter tannins that are released from black tea leaves that have been steeped for too long.

Russian Tea begs to be compared to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. Both perfumes are dark, leathery, and feature raspberry. Tuscan Leather smells a little like cigarette butts. Russian Tea does not.

I was surprised that there is no musk in the notes because the heart smelled a bit soapy, as tea perfumes frequently do. This feature I like. It lightens the scent up and cuts through the gritty bitterness.

It only gets better from there. Raspberry grows increasingly prominent, bringing its soft sweetness to balance the perfume. I was thankful that the raspberry did not smell like medicine and instead smelled like raspberry bon bons, blending harmoniously with the black tea, which is very mellow by that point like an ordinary yet satisfying cup of Tetley.

By the drydown, I am reminded of a raspberry flavored black tea that I buy from the Russian market. It tastes wonderful with milk and sugar. I swoon at this point, and I reassure myself that my $215 purchase was totally worth it!

I love a good mint note, but I never detect it at any point. It is very subdued on my skin I guess. At least it doesn't smell like toothpaste.

Sillage is huge at first, then becomes a skin scent. The perfume lasts 8 hours on my skin. This is has got to be one of the very best tea perfumes out there. Kudos to the nose!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The opening of Russian Tea is, roughly said and with all respects of differences, Bois d'ascèse with green tea and menthol, which kind of gives you the feeling of a someone chewing a chewing gum while smoking. Or a chewing gum left in an ashtray. Or, in terms of perfumes, Geranium pour Monsieur meets Bois d'ascèse. Nonetheless, all works perfectly, managing to sound quite new despite the similarities: there is this great clash between the black angular linearity of the ash-woody notes (a thick, smoky, dense Iso E Super galore) with the sour, crunchy, and still somehow angular feel of the green-mint notes. On top of that, just a faint echo of flowers providing a subtle silky feel to an otherwise quite dry blend - and a smart hint of immortelle providing its peculiar and fascinating sort of boozy-earthy note. On the base I also detect some suede, and at the very center, something slightly fruity (I read "berries" on the sample). Pretty much it. And total class, if you ask me. As hours pass the similarity with Bois d'ascèse (or similar scents) progressively decreases, Russian Tea becomes quite more woody and leathery still keeping a nice, more and more subtle green-fruity-floral feel. The name fits the scent perfectly, as this is indeed a cold, somehow grey, decadent, but at the same time archaic, dusty, evocative scent. I think of Russia, but quite a post-modern idea of Russia, with archaic traditions still being protected and maintained in a cold war atmosphere. It speaks of tea leaves and samovars, but also concrete and ash dirt. Which gives you a melancholic feel of suburban domestic warmth and sense of safety and community provided by this "ritual" still being retrieved among a sea of concrete and pollution fog (I admit my knowledge of post-cold war Soviet Union is limited to Kieslowski's movies - yes, I know he was Polish). Besides impressions and associations, however, Russian Tea is indeed a sophisticated, unisex, versatile dark scent, perhaps too woody or dry for someone, for me it's purely refined and utterly pleasant. One of the nicest new scents of 2014 composed by one of the very (very!) few noses to keep an eye on these days – and provided to us by one of the very (again: very!) few Italian niche houses I personally respect. Bravi!

8,5/10

theperfumedveil

I've spent the weekend with this beauty and I am ready to tell you all about it.

Obviously, the strong black tea is effusive and begins from the moment you spray until the last whiff leaves your skin. Whereas Russian Caravan Tea by CB is the smell of wet black tea leaves, this is the smell of the dried leaves.

I want to point out that all the notes come out at once and then come in and out of prominence as the perfume develops. The black tea, woody notes, fresh mint and sticky raspberry is all I feel here. If there is birch tar here, which is a note that can enhance woods, it is cleverly subtle.

As for the bottle and packaging, the bottle is extremely hefty transparent glass with a black glass top. The top is not the typical one that sticks on securely but a magnetic one that is not very tight. I believe that was done on purpose and is not just bad workmanship. The bottle nestles into a foam circle that holds it firm in the round container which seals perfectly.

This is the epitome of what an expensive perfume should be. I have never smelled anything like it.

AScent
AScent

An incredibly dry, smokey tea based fragrance. The smokiness calls to mind the aforementioned Bois d'Ascese by Naomi Goodsir & Comme des Garcons Black, but I get a strong leather note in Russian Tea which is absent in the other two fragrances. There is a mint note up top, but it vanishes within mere minutes on my skin. I don't really smell anything else but tea, mint, smoke, and leather. It certainly has a balsamic feel to it. If you like the two fragrances mentioned, or if L'artisan's Tea for Two is too sweet for you, this could be right up your alley. Overall a very well made, unique tea based fragrance from a new house which can seem to do no wrong. Thumbs way up!

My first instinct would be to start with "what a surprise!" but then, if I think about it, this is more like a confirmation than actually a surprise. The work Alessandro Brun and Riccardo Tedeschi are doing with their Masque line is definitely something not to overlook and Russian Tea represents just the newest chapter in their already important and noteworthy path started with humongous releases such as Montecristo, Tango and Terralba.

For Russian Tea they worked with cult-perfumer Jacques Rasquinet who previously collaborated with the likes of Naomi Goodsir (for whom he delivered what have become one of my all-time favorites, Bois D'Ascese) and Andrea Maack amongst others. An extremely talented perfumer who's rapidly becoming the undisputed master of smoky notes. The result of this collaboration strikes as a sort of hypothetical lovechild of Guerlain Herba Fresca and the much overlooked Eau Du Fier by Annick Goutal…well, this is honestly kind of a stretch but it might give you an idea on the axis this fragrance moves on, anyway. Smoky, aromatic, dark, fresh, leathery and…bittersweet.

There's clearly a mint note up top which while completely skipping the typical (and annoying) toothpaste effect, it's immediately joined by the most realistic smoky black-tea rendition I've experienced in quite a while. The pairing of the two gives birth to a fantastic juxtaposition all played around moderately sweet fresh notes and darker smoky ones. It's funny how in this phase, while smelling somewhat refreshing, the fragrance doesn't fail to show its darker side with an overall wintery vibe. It's a modern accord made out of bittersweet juxtapositions and just a hint of red-fruitiness. A modern accord where smoke it's relevant but not overwhelming and where tea is left to express and unveil all of its aromatic and evocative qualities.

Slowly, the base starts lurking in the back…

The evolution from the opening to the middle phase and the drydown is slow, smooth and completely flawless. A much darker central accord of smoky woods remarks it presence and takes form while joined by a leather-incense combo with some immortelle providing extra body. It gets darker and darker with time. Deeper and deeper, warmer and warmer, drier and drier… At traces, it made me think of a more aromatic version of Comme Des Garcons Black (the immortelle-leather-incense combo is really not that distant) but whereas the CDG feels urban and sort of punk-ish, Russian Tea pushes on melancholy and coziness by evoking immense rural landscapes during winter. Traditional rituals, historic buildings, fireplaces and time spent meditating and traveling.

Now, I'm impressed for way too many reasons. First of all, this a fragrance which is a total pleasure to wear on many different levels. It'd make one hell of a signature as well as something distinctive for special occasions. It's easy to like but has so much substance. Daring but not weird, solidly built and conceived and, most of all, perfectly sized. Longevity is beyond good while silage is discreet but remarkable. An entirely elegant composition that's able to standout and feel distinctive without being necessarily odd or pretentiously *arty*. Masque's Montecristo was one of my favorite fragrances of 2013 and Russian Tea will most definitely be amongst my favorites of 2014. With that said, there's really no doubts on my side that Masque is rapidly becoming one of the most interesting and solid outfits of this second decade of 2000.

Kudos!

Rating: 8.5-9/10

theperfumedveil

It's finally here, the most bewitching of tea scents. I loved it so much I ordered a full bottle immediately. Will write up a proper review as I spend some time with this beauty.