Designers » M » Chypre Fruity « Groups

Mauboussin Mauboussin for women

Mauboussin Mauboussin for women
dislike

Mauboussin Mauboussin for women Pictures Mauboussin Mauboussin for women Pictures Mauboussin Mauboussin for women Pictures Mauboussin Mauboussin for women Pictures Mauboussin Mauboussin for women Pictures

Mauboussin is a perfume introduced in 2000 in the cooperation with Christine Nagel. It opens with the notes of yellow plum, bergamot or red tangerine. There are white peach, Indian jasmine, ylang-ylang and Turkish rose in the heart of the perfume. The base adds accords of amber, patchouli, Indonesian sandalwood, cedar, benzoic and vanilla to the composition. The bottle was designed by Thierry de Baschmakoff, and it is available as 30, 50 and 100 ml edt and edp.

Blood Mandarin Yellow Plum Bergamot Mirabelle

Indian Jasmine Turkish Rose Ylang-Ylang

Amber Patchouli Vanilla Sandalwood Benzoin Cedar

Mauboussin L`Elixir Pour Elle
Venezia 2011

Mauboussin Fragrance Reviews

diva90403
diva90403

The top notes are almost killing it for me. Every time I apply it I can`t believe that I didn`t put it on my swap list yet. But after two hours I realize why it is still on my shelf. Then it turns into this pleasant, dusty, deep thing. Almost a little leathery. I love it in spring when the sun is hiding behind clouds and it feels like it`s about to rain, but it`s not.

Sida
Sida

Like attempt to treat a hangover from plum brandy with vanilla ice cream, endless portion. I don’t feel it like warm scent.
I’d say it is neither chypre nor aldehydic. The only vintage feature is the process from sharp top to very mild and feminine base.

bubbles
bubbles

This was a blind buy I initially didn't like ,I always give perfume a chance, since it can change on you, from mood to season.I started to understand it & grew to really enjoy it! So I read up on it a little & found out there is a pure extrait version of this beauty & I knew I had to get it! Wow!! It's so smooth, I'm in love!! The bottle is in silver in a little purple box, if you enjoy the edt or the edp, I definitely suggest you try to get your hands on this, you won't be sorry!

Hagakure
Hagakure

Hello All, I see that a lot of Fragrantica members are acquainted with this fragrance, so I have one question important from my perspective, as I just consider a blind buy of EDP after reformulation:

Does this one have many resemblances with old vintage perfumes like Chanel 19, 5, Gres Cabochard, Y by YSL or Bob Mackie?, I know these represent different genres, but I am searching for neither noble chypres nor vintage aldehydes with heavy, dry flowers, but rather a sweet, ripe fruits' explosion in the accompaniment of some spices and heavier accords, yet still bringing modern feelings.

I would highly appreciate anybody's opinion on this matter.

polly golightly
polly golightly

delizioso. prugna, patchouli e ambra, con assestamento su note di tabacco e benzoino. la bottiglia tetraedrica fa l'occhiolino al chimico che c'è in me

pravda48
pravda48

WHY DOES THIS SMELL LIKE MENTHOL?? And rubber?? So unusual!!

ForrealMe2
ForrealMe2

Thanks Weegee for the reference it helped me to find an original.
I Think that should be done on all pages if you have any details on the fragrances please fragrantican's please share it was such a good reference.
Now the fragrance i have the original EDT and this is another fantastic freak show of a fragrance. Totally unisex because its very medicinal from the patchouli but more so the benzoin. The top notes have a light plum that is blended well with amber that continuosly wafts back and forth with the benzoin and patchouli. But this fragrance is all about the benzoin. The benzoin makes this very resinous. This stuff is thick..i love that because i know its going to last and project. And this one projects and is smooth and even minty like Vicks. It reminds me of the same family of Midnight Poison but without the vanilla of Poison..its not an exact but a family reference and feel. You have to be into medicinal fragrances to like this and i do so this is such a treat...I can't imagine the newer versions not smelling like this.I think you should definitely test this cause this is a love or hate fragrance not to be blind bought..but if you love vintage or stronger older fragrances this is a must in anyone's collection.Bottle is really kool too.

I can only imagine that Mauboussin is plagued by comparisons to Angel because of the strong patchouli note.
This fragrance does not really have anything in common with Angel aside from patchouli.
I actually find the plum note in here to be sour. I'm guessing because it's yellow plum/mirabelle. I like it. Plum notes can often take on a syrupy, grape soda type smell and there is none of that here.
Aside from the patchouli and plum, benzoin really stands out. The amber is of the smoky variety, not the heavy vanillic sort. Again, thank you Mauboussin for keeping this from going all "sticky".
Overall a deep, earthy Oriental fragrance. Oriental seems to often be a "catch all" term where I'm left thinking "uhhh what.. this smells like cookies.. Oriental?" but this is not the case here.
And yes, the patch is on the dirty/woody side so this is not one for the faint of heart.
This is for the original reformulation. The bottle I have came in the purple box without stars/birds.

weegee
weegee

@Maylone, I have both versions of Mauboussin and can give you the information about the boxes.

The box that is purple on the top 2/3 with a silver band around the bottom 1/3 is the original formulation. The address on the bottom of the box is: Mauboussin Parfums, 20, place Vendome, 75001, Place Vendome, Paris France. This original formula is getting difficult to find and is always more expensive. I find it "thicker" and much more complex and smooth than the newer formulation, with none of the sharpness some have mentioned.

You have the newer version. The silver box with purple stars/birds is the eau de parfum and the reversed purple box with silver stars/birds is the eau de toilette. On the bottom of these boxes is this address: Lorience Paris, 64, rue de Ranelagh, 75016, Paris France. Brick & mortar stores and most on-line sellers have ONLY these boxes now so you should have no difficulty getting the version you already have and like.

Maylone
Maylone

Can anyone explain to me why there are, at least, three different looking boxes for this perfume? I have the silver box with purple stars on it and I've seen a reverse box of this, then there is the box that has a purple upper half with silver on the lower. They all seem to be EDP's, so I have no idea why there's such different packaging. I want to get another bottle of what I have, but I'm unsure wether I need to search for the same box or not? Maybe it's not uncommon for there to be different packaging for the same perfume and I'm just now being confused by it!

Jillita
Jillita

New version is but a memory of the descriptions of the vintage version. The one I have has a sharp aldehyde blast, then warms with skin and develops into a cloyingly sweet ylang-ylang enveloped in plastic note, then there's plum-scented powder. No musk, no amber, no patchouli, no spice. Then all fragrance vanishes entirely after 20 minutes. I wonder if the juice is inauthentic. The iridescent pyramid shaped-glass bottle is fantastic, however. I made the mistake of testing this on the left side pulse points and then applying the heavenly Queen Latifah's Queen on the right, and Queen was far and away the preferred — and despite costing half as much.

Eynat
Eynat

I bought a bottle of this juice on Amazon, per recommendation of many reviewers. Perhaps, it’s my sensitive nose, but this perfume is too sharp. The sharpness is like a knife cutting thru the beautiful bouquet of flowers.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Smells like Angel to me with patchouli drydown. pretty, longevity is a few hours on me, not like Angel that lasts a whole day. I imagine this perfume to be sweet floral. Finally got to test it. Nice, a keeper.

lisaivette
lisaivette

Mauboussin,I was finally able to sample, thanks to a swap. This scent is much too complex for me to describe properly, but I will give it a go. The opening first few minutes remind me very much of Cartier Le Baiser Du Dragon. Mauboussin then takes a turn for the dirty instead of the sweet, and this is where I can see the references to similarities of Shalimar.

A smoky incense heavy scent(even though I don't see incense listed) Benzoin and patchouli combined are maybe causing that reaction.This is dense, not smothering, but if over applied I can see where it could part a crowd. It has so many of my favorite notes and aspects. It's woodsy, a little boozy, and it kind of oozes over you.

At this point Mauboussin is a love for me, but now I do see why this would not be a safe blind buy. I am now on the hunt for a full bottle.

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

I've had this (EDT) for a few days (bought blind online) and still undecided on whether I like it. For me sweet tobacco, a dark fruitiness and long-lingering velvety cocoa are prominent. I did think softer Angel straightaway. On my skin the scent definitely improves as it settles...and it lasts for ages! Looking forward to trying it when it gets colder. Got a feeling it might be a grower!

SS79
SS79

Received this in a swap. I must say its quite the warm, spicy inviting scent! It will be a nice welcome to the upcoming fall season.. And the bottle is just beautiful.. Very simple but I love the spray top that turns to lock.. Can't stop smelling my wrist!...

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

This was a blind buy for me. I wanted to try it due to the good reviews on this site and a good deal on a perfume website. Wow what a lovely surprise. I was worried that the patchouli would be overwhelming. Not so as I found a beautiful woody, plummy smell. I bought the EDP and it is everything that I hoped it would be. It lasted about 6 hours on me which was good. Looking forward to wearing it now that the colder months are on the way. One of my more successful blind buys.

Aysu
Aysu

This is a great combination of patchouli&amber with some fruity undertones. I got some plum, but it is not your usual sweet / ripe plum here, it is dark and boozy, and not sweet at all. Perfume has a resinous quality as well, in my opinion, this is a very good composition. Sillage & staying power is quite good too (EDP)

opa
opa

Simply loving days when I am wrapped into this charming and such a lovely-gentle fragrance! At the dry-down faze it reminds me a bit the "8e jour" by Yves Roche. Love them both.

sissu
sissu

What is going on with all the positive reviews on this thing?? I feel like I'm in opposite land. Words like "pretty", "crowdpleaser", "creamy", "sweet", "yummy", "calm" are being thrown around. Say what now?? I have probably never sprayed something on my skin that smelled this revolting. This is not pretty, creamy, calm. This is a sour, bitter, harsh, LOUD mess, and just plain nasty. An epic fail on my skin. I'm sad because I really thought I would love this scent and even considered blind buying or swapping for it many times. All I can say is that I am very glad I got a chance to sample this from a lovely fellow Fragrantican before I got my hands on a full bottle. There simply are no words.

UPDATE: I'm thinking I must have gotten a bad sample. Would be interesting to try this one again some day and see if we still clash as much...

Jola 72
Jola 72

...ohh my,I love this scent so much EdP smells divine on my skin and edT on my clothes I get some aura of LouLou in the beginnig ,definitely best fruity chypre or lite oriental ,that I found out All these reviews helped me to find this beauty THANK YOU ALL on Fragrantica again A scent of goddess ,my all time favorite,no doubt Dark plum and sultry fruitiness drys down on my skin in to vibrating smoky notes ,so sensitive and delicious I can,t stop sniffing my wrists
It must drives men crazy...
Must update here again The bottle of edT has rainbow reflected glass and on my skin it stays not as long ,just my clothes can remind me of it EdP lasts forever on my skin These two are kind of different scents,love both EdP reminds me strong YR Comme Une Evidence now discounted le perfume elixir in small bottle/15 ml I am not sure about/ I used to love it

butterflyblue
butterflyblue

I got this on a blind buy. I knew by reading thousands of reviews on Mauboussin that I was going to love it.
I DO!

So gorgeous, warm and very sexy.

Lulutupelo
Lulutupelo

This perfume is just compelling. At first I didn't like it; it seemed to have a sour note I didn't like. I read the reviews and decided to give it another try. I find I turn to it again and again. I love the fact that it is somewhat unique among the overly sweet florals that are so popular these days. It has more sillage than most, and lasts longer than most. (I've been so disappointed in my Dior's total lack of sillage!) I use this perfume almost daily, because it is just plain compelling. . . and it is so inexpensive. Wow. If you aren't a fan of the super super sweet candy fragrances. this might be for you.

ranchorita
ranchorita

I'm so pleased I took a chance on this blind buy based on the rave reviews here. The notes fit nicely with the ones I usually love(spicy/floral Orientals), and I figured for less than $20, this was a modest gamble. It smelled so beautiful from the first spritz that I thought I'd even forgive it if Mauboussin ended up smelling cheap by the end of the day-- it starts off so nicely. I was surprised, then, that the fragrance remained rich and wonderful throughout the day.

Big longevity and sillage. This smells much better than you would dare to expect for the price tag. I even got a flirtatious pinch from someone today-- is it the perfume? I'll wear it again and find out.

LOVE this fragrance.

Bandit
Bandit

I cannot imagine someone, who doesn't like this perfume, it is just so pretty. I'd say it's one of the biggest crowd pleasers I ever smelled, and this definitially includes me. I actually love it.

It's a modern composition, not 80s, as others have mentioned. 80s is only the strength of the fume, you really should use it sparingly to bring out the best. Also you never need to think about reapplying.

It's a chypre by construction, not by effect. In addition the boozy fruitiness makes it very modern. Also it doesn't change and morph like oldschool chypres or orientals, but stays more lineal over all.

The best fruit fume I know.

A must in every wardrobe, imho.

The last couple of weeks I'm experimenting with different aplly techniques, so that it is possible to wear the big and heavy fumes in this underperfumed world, we live in (without scaring the hell out of everybody around me). I had success with Habanita not sprayed, but mixed with unscented body lotion. I guess, for Mauboussin this might also be a good way to wear it at day time. I'll check that out.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

this smells like Welch's grape juice and patchouli...nice

Limeylizzie
Limeylizzie

I bought this based on reviews on Fragrantica and I adore it. I have never had so many compliments from men and women on a perfume I was wearing. Others have described it very well, suffice it to say it is unique, heady, nothing like Angel to my nose, it's a powerful, sensual, exotic brew that lasts and lasts . Pure perfection.

I.I
I.I

I really like it, it's a perfume with character but I wouldn't buy a full bottle, it turns quite masculine on me. But I like it's smell!
Patchouli is also dominant in this composition...It seems that it's a bit difficult for perfumers to creat a composition with patchouli, where it won't dominate the whole compo.

marsiesmoon
marsiesmoon

Just a quick *note* on this one..I find it smells much lovelier on my clothes than on my skin.The scent lingers and if I pick up an item which still has this scent I am in Heaven. I had been wearing it to bed for awhile, as it seemed to do best at night and was a relaxing scent after a shower. I would say on me, it is a boozy amber plum throughout.

I decided today to venture out with it on a big comfy sweater and twice, once early am, once in the evening I got :"OMG..what is that perfume you are wearing, it's amazing!" Nearly identical compliments(about 8 hours apart without reapp.) maybe it will be more than a bedtime scent afterall.

stormyla
stormyla

In an effort to embrace a scent or two that were actually created in this century, I purchased a mini EDP of Mauboussin. Both the bottle design and the reviews here inspired me to consider this fragrance. Generally I have done very well with fragrances of the great jewelers of Europe particularly those born on Place Vendome. Additionally the Mirabelle and Yellow Plum intrigued me.

I wore this fragrance three times. The first time, I applied my normal conservative amount, three dabs i.e. on inner elbows and base of throat on moisturized skin. After a very beautiful opening, which was surprisingly long lasting the fragrance dried down to non existence. I later applied it again that day with a repeat of the same performance.

The second day, I applied double my normal amount and was again scentless within two to three hours.

The third time I tripled my normal amount. The opening in this instance lasted almost two hours and was quite beautiful and very intriguing. Over the next 8 hours it changed directions several times. At one point it seemed very cloying and unpleasant but that disappeared and something calmer, sweeter and suggestive of cashmere sweaters evolved.

I'm fairly certain that this potion will not become part of my repetoire. It has many ingredients in common with Organza Indecence, but that fragrance seems to suit me better. The manner in which the Mauboussin kept morphing led me to question it's stability. Also due to needing to use a lot of it to get any results makes this a less than economical choice.

I will enjoy inhaling this pretty fragrance on others!

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

The plum and the benzoin waltz together while the ylang and sandalwood are in balance with the vanilla. The woody/cedar drydown lasts 12+ hours on my skin, with the plum peeking in and out the whole time . One or two sprays is plenty. Intriguing, and a real winter treat. It's ideal in dry, cold weather and I love it!

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

This review is a long time coming...having tried this several times over the last year and basically hating it, I finally saw a 3.3oz bottle at TJMaxx going for 14 bucks over the Christmas holiday. I figured if I just didn't like it then, I was never going to like it. I guess in my case it took some cold weather for me to enjoy this scent.

Its fruity, and sweet; As I've tried this more than a few times, I get honey, plums and citrus is very up front. In cooler weather (at least for me ) that sweetness is manageable, whereas in warmer or humid weather its like I'm smothering under a plum syrup blanket.

The spice kicks up about 30 minutes in, and I smell a faint almond smell, a bit of spice, and that sandalwood/amber mix...yum!

At about hour one I get a lovely spiced rose. Again, having tried this one out during hotter months this was way killer...and not in a good way.

Lasts on me for quite a long time. I've worn this and smelled it the next day, though faintly. Sillage can be a bit aggressive if you use a lot (4+ sprays) but otherwise, I think a 2 shot spray or a walk through is fantastic for this scent.

I still don't understand how anyone could wear this in warm weather. or maybe just on me there's no way I can because i'd be in a diabetic coma! I'll just keep this as my cold weather baby :-)

mimikins24
mimikins24

I decided to try this fragrance after pouring through a recommendation thread for plum notes, and I ended up with a large bottle of the EDT in a swap.

A very brief, almost biting, citrus opening, which I really did not like at all. Once this dissipates (10-15 mins), the plum takes centre stage.

Oddly, I did not really get any of the heart floral notes until much, much later on. In particular, the ylang ylang lingered on my sweater the next day.

The basenotes are predominant to my nose for most of the life of this fragrance. Benzoine, amber, patchouli (light), vanilla, with just a sprinkling of sandalwood. The result is a warm, cozy, powdery scent, with the plum lasting well into the dry down. Definitely a cold weather fragrance --- it made me feel wrapped up in some fuzzy blanket, but I think the sweetness would be too much in summer temperatures.

Excellent in terms of longevity, and heavy silleage.

I also tried the EDP (a mini which was generously included with my swap for comparison). Perhaps the plum is a bit more apparent at the 1-2hr stage, but other than that small difference I believe the same effect can be achieved by controlling the amount applied.

As an aside, the bottle is interesting and eye-catching but awkward. The EDT is in clear glass, while the EDP comes in a rainbow-reflective type glass. In additon, the EDP has a purple collar to the bottle, while the EDT is all silver.

Seemi
Seemi

Bought this blind online and when I recieved it I tried to like it but found it to smell revolting, now I'm stuck with a practically full bottle :( lesson learnt never blind buy a fragrance.

Whit
Whit

I was inspired by fellow Frangrantican, chowchow41, to try this and I'm very happy I gave it a shot! This was a total blind buy for me, but after reading her review and seeing her suggest this frag to so many others,I thought I would give it a whirl.

First off, I smell a smoky (incensy?) plum laced with patchouli and it stays that way for around 30min. Then it becomes more sweet (not candy sweet) and woodsy. The benzoin really stands out on my skin as it dries, but it's very creamy no less. I notice some slight nuances of amber and only a hint of vanilla, but that's ok.

This is a cold weather frag; the notes won't be nearly as creamy or comforting and warmer temps won't do it justice. Also, I found the longevity and sillage to be excellent as well. Mauboussin is very unusual, which seems to be the norm for me lately; something that not everyone else is wearing. This is also an attention getter as well; I noticed several people looking my way as I passed and even caught one lady catching a whiff! LOL

Definitely worth trying if you like woodsy scents or if you're wanting to depart from the ordinary. Special thanks to chowchow41 for the inspiration to try it! :)

Aiant
Aiant

Gracias a todos vuestros comentarios, compré este perfume y estoy 100% feliz y emocionada de haber encontrado un aroma tan especial. Tal como me gustan los perfumes, que " se noten" , que duren por horas y días, que no pasen inadvertidos, que me hagan sentir especial y única. Gracias!

blueberry
blueberry

An intuitive blindbuy and love at first sniff. Mauboussin Mauboussin EDT reformulated is such a happiness potion for me that I cannot imagine how fabulous the prereformulated version must have been!

What do we have here? Ripe yellow and purple plum, sweet benzoin, delicately rendered patchouli, fresh vanille, soft amber, powdery ylang-ylang and woods as easily identifiable notes that mellow into a crafty, opulent and soothing concoction. The scent is a fruity chypre, but can be considered oriental woody due to its perfect rendition of benzoin and woods with almost gourmet accords. Its not overly but distinctly sweet and so comforting to the troubled heart and body!

Wearing it makes me feel so enveloped and cuddled as if thoroughly protected from the evils of the world. I cannot refrain from sniffing my wrists, but the scent is quite prominent, so it's enough to move myself in order to experience the warm breath of powdery dry and mouthwatering yumminess.
Great lasting power - no need to reapply throughout the day, unless you really want to douse yourself in it for the pleasure of sheer indulgence. Somehow, it reminds of Cartier LBDD EDP and Gres Goddess, but it stands out on its own.

MM is another Prozac in a perfume bottle for autumn/winter depression and an absolute must have in my fragrant collection.

Annaengel
Annaengel

Loved this! First time people were asking me which perfume I was wearing, all the time! In the beginning I was a bit 'afraid' of the sillage later on I really appreciated it that the scent was 'surrounding' me.

lastnightscent
lastnightscent

Along with Jovan Musk for Women, this perfume convinced me against blind buying based on stellar reviews. I really didn't like it. It just smells stuffy and old to me, a real overwhelming, suffocating kind of stuffiness. I'll continue giving it chances every once in a while, but the future's not looking bright (albeit I love the bottle).

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

I loved this at first sniff. So much anticipation from reading review after review. I was also intrigued by the notes. To me this is very pleasant in the beginning fruity, sweet and up lifting.

A very generous member of Basenotes gifted me a sample. Wow, woods through and through, fresh, clean and a little spicy. I can still smell this more than 12 hours later.

lmktacwa
lmktacwa

WOW. Okay, I have both... EDT and EDP are definitely different!

On initial spray, the EDT has more of that familiar "oriental" scent to it in the same vein as Kenzo Oriental & Coco Chanel. The plum is not as noticeable other than it is a kissing cousin of Kenzo Jungle Elephant, and the oriental-ness is light. But yes, I understand why everyone mentions K.J.E.

I smell no floral whatsoever, and the patch and cedar are super light, if not just imaginary to my nose. The dry down is a lovely sweet benzoin amber powdery wonderful heaven scent. I actually fell in love with this version of Mauboussin due to the light oriental and faint reminder of Kenzo Jungle, but MOSTLY for that delicious sweet dry down. OMG! This is the same dry down you get with Sensuous Noir. They are nothing alike at the top or heart, but that base is identical. Sensuous Noir has that great punch-you-in-the-face patchouli opening... where I can't detect patchouli here much at all. Which is odd, seeing as the patch is the #1 scent on the notes listed above.

Then I bought the EDP: Okay... where one reviewer said she "hates" the EDT and loves the EDP, I'm living in opposite land. The EDP is way too heavy on the plum (and is that REALLY PLUM? It's so not plum to me, but obviously it's "something" (!), and nothing else in the notes would explain it.) I think it's prune.

Not overly sweet. Though it is thick. Cloying. Heavier and more pungent than Jungle Elephant. HOWEVER, as much as I have a hard time with the first 5 minutes, it's REALLY great after that. The "plum" note (The Kenzo-esque part) does linger much longer in the EDP than it does in the EDT.

The drydown is identical to what I wrote above for the EDT, except that the "plum" note lingers much longer into the heart and actually into the first few hours of drydown.

My advice: Get both. Use the EDT in spring summer, and the EDP in Fall & Winter.

If you want something that LASTS, this is your perfume, use the EDP! WOW... Besides my K.J.E. and my Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau's longevity, this juice is potent and right up there with those two with MONSTER longevity.

And, P.S. for the price?!? PEOPLE!!! This is a huge bargain at twice the price! I own 2 EDT's and 1 EDP, and I'm considering getting another one just cuz it's so in-expensive, and this is now in my top 3 "go to's".

Edit: I just read Sandra Raicevic Petrovic's (sandrina_bambina) Report from TFWA 2012 Cannes and it states the following WONDERFUL news about Mauboussin: "The news reports from the Lorience booth will delight lovers of the Mauboussin, Courreges and Lulu Castagnette fragrances. Mauboussin launched the oriental version of Mauboussin, which arrives in a dark bottle and is named Mauboussin L'Elixir pour Elle. There are also men's Mauboussin Pour Lui and Mauboussin Neroli, in a golden pyramid-shaped bottle, dominated by orange blossom absolute and the absolute of Tunisian neroli."

Woo-Hoo!

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

I have the EDT: Wonderful. Ever so slightly reminiscent of Kenzo's Jungle Elephant... But I also sprayed this on top of a 2 hour old application of St. Tropez Dispenser Apres Soleil by Smell Bent, so I'm not sure if that is why I am getting that relationship or not.

I am a CK Obsession lover. I also love S.L. Ambre Sultan and and A.G. Ambre Fetiche... so yeah, I like em strong. This is not as strong or overpowering as the three I just listed, as far as strength and sillage go. And it does not have the sillage of Kenzo Jungle either... but it IS up there so, I agree it is not for the "faint of heart" as numbr9 stated. :D

I'm getting sweet plum. Is that sweet the chocolate? I think so, but it's not an in your face chocolate.

Not really seeing this related to Angel much. 3rd cousin 15 times removed maybe. To me, this patchouli is understated.

This rides on the amber, benzoic, vanilla base so beautifully.

sky76sky does a great job describing how I experience this scent.

For the price, you can't go wrong. I'm picking up a back up bottle of this!!! And probably will want the EDP for an even MORE super strength. I want people to SEE my scent trail when I go by.

cecyben
cecyben

MY SIGNATURE SCENT !!! Delicious, excellent longevity and crazy sillage.
I receive a lot of compliments when I wore it. I put it in the morning and on the other day,when I awake is still there: it is PERFECT! = I DO LOVE THIS SO MUCH !!! Smells lovely,delightful ... AMAZING !
Thank you MAUBOUSSIN !!! Thank you CHRISTINE NAGEL !!!

onesexygrammy
onesexygrammy

I wish I detected fruit. For me its a rich smoke filled opening. It sweetens over time, but holds on to the top notes throughout the day. A coworker commented " I smell incense...." It seemed that she couldn't detect where it was coming from even though I was sitting right next to her. It doesn't send out a vibe that is tame enough for an office setting. And go lightly if you put it on at bedtime. I overdid it once and gave myself a nasty little headache. I will keep it for winter or evening use.

Heliotropea
Heliotropea

As I absolutely cannot stand Mugler's Angel, do I have to pass on this one ?

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

I bought this blind, because the notes really are my thing. It wasn't expensive for a 100ml so I got the large bottle.

I got it in the mail on a very hot day and I wanted to wear it that same day... bad decision. I smelled like sweaty armpit (= patchouli on a hot day!!). Not a very attractive smell....

I wore it a couple of other times when it was not hot at all... AMAZING. Creamy, sexy, special, out there, noticable, gorgeous, yummie, feminine, ... I have fallen in love with this scent. It is one of the best perfumes out there.

Amber2110
Amber2110

Got this in the post today, wasn't sure at first kind of too musky; smelled a bit too mature for me but after a couple of minutes I really warmed to it! I adore it, this fragrance lasts for hours and hours without being too strong and woody tones make it calm and sweet, perfect!!

mahadewi

Just as an update, I have worn this perfume pretty much everyday since I got it. And to my delight it has become the only perfume that I have ever been complimented on! :) Both the compliments came from people in my life who are a bit alternative/hippy and would rather wear patchouli or sandalwood oil (which I am quite partial to myself) than department store perfumes. I really do think this perfume is a special find and I love it's uniqueness! :)

Fizzy
Fizzy

Ooohh, this smells like if you mix two drops of Badgley Mischka Badgley Mischka with one drop of Angel, really. The best silage from my whole perfume collection and super longevity. Rich and full oriental, very sweet perfume with a sour notch in it. I spray it on my pillow, bevor getting to sleep. LOVE, LOVE IT! Only for woman.

darlingdraven
darlingdraven

This is what I was looking for when I tested minis of Shalimar and Imari. I can't explain it, others who have favored this perfume have wonderful reviews. All I can say is that I enjoy it and it works for all sorts of occasions. It does smell a little like a lighter Angel, which is good as I love Angel and others may think it is too heavy. It is mature but not too overly mature to my nose.

Lumiere
Lumiere

This is a luxury deep scent that wraps you up like a cloud. Makes me think of freshly cooked dark plum jam, from the best sort of plums, transparent but in thick honey-like syrup, Even though sweet, there is certain depth and heaviness in it. It makes you noticable and people will feel your presence. It's mysterious and sophysticated, I am thinking of refined conversations about art snd all fine things, in selected company, maybe savouring best quality cogniac with people who know how to appreciate it.

For some reason, when i first tried it-as it was a blind purchase based on enigmatic rreviews here-thank you to all who provided-I thought of Angel by Mugler. Sweet patchouli vanilla-however Maboussin has certain tartiness to it, it is sweet but with a hint of irony, as if saying, after all, I am not taking myself so serious or making a statement, I just play with it and see how it feels. Definitely a different and dignified scent.

I want to wear a bit oversized, good quality cotton white shirt with it, for a bit bohemian look, as this fragraance is clothes enough by itself.

I want to warn you that a bottle has a turning nozzle-you can open and close it. I have received my bottle and it has leaked about 1-2 cm. Also, it has a silver cap, not purple, how it is shown on main picture. It is packed in a silver box with purple flying stars, with not much padding inside.I would have expected a bit better packaging for such beautiful fragrance.

I am thinking Smoked Prunes with walnut centre soaked in liquier in thin coat of black chocolate. Who comes from eastern europe, knows what I am talking about:))

mahadewi

I think this is probably the best perfume I have ever tried! This will definitely be my new signature scent, I am in love!!! :) I am no perfume expert so can't describe the notes, but I think if you like sweet, bold (but not in your face) patchouli based perfumes you could like this. The drydown is the best part, to me it smells very similar to Juliette Has a Gun Midnight Oud (which is out of my price-range but I also love). The sillage is fantastic as is the staying-power. Can't say enough good things about this perfume, it makes me feel happy and comfortable but sexy and exotic at the same time! I don't find it a mature or "old lady" scent at all although I can understand that it could come across that way at the beginning. If you don't like it at first spray, wait for the drydown and you might change your mind :)

redrose
redrose

oh,bought it based on reviews:(:( big mistake!!!!! not my cup of tea at all. To old fashion and suffocating scent. Sorry for all those who love this fragrance but i can not put my thumb up.....

mussi
mussi

I ordered this online, only based on the written description but I have to say I was really disappointed. To me it smells stale and is like headache in a bottle.
I tried to wear it few times to see if it might change during the day, but it didn't , so I gave it to someone who actually liked it.

HazelMae
HazelMae

Out of all of the fruity patchoulis that followed Angel, this is the only one I really love. Most of the fruit-choulis seem bimbo-ish to me, including Miss Dior Cherie (strawberry), Coco Mademoiselle (citrus), and Badgely Mischka (peach-chouli). Plum seems to be the key to make this combination a little more sophisticated. Maybe the dryer sweetness of plum keeps it all from going over the top. I agree with other reviewers that it seems like it should be a winter perfume, but I have worn it year-round. Note: the bottle is not actually iridescent, but it hardly matters given the price/quality ratio. My most successful blind buy.

Aqua218
Aqua218

Very unique. Initially a fruity chypre mellowing down to a dry-smoky-woodsy oriental, thanks to the benzoin and vanilla. Out of my entire perfume collection, this one seems to elicit the most compliments and enquiries from both men and women. Cozy and comforting in winter and erotically intoxicating on hot summer nights.

JazzBirdSinger
JazzBirdSinger

hands down....besides Mugler Angel.... the most AMAZING patchouli
i have come across.
sensual, chocolatey patchouli
what i had mistaken for labdanum is actually the perfect blending of
plum and benzoin
lovers of night time, sensual, sweet, cold weather perfumes,
get acquainted with this GEM now
comparable to the patchouli in kate walsh's boyfriend and JS fancy nights,
but this has the added
wintery warm fruit festivity vibe.
completely unisex
for real patchouli lovers, it lasts through the top middle and base notes,
the star of the show.
drydown is amber fougere.

chowchow41
chowchow41

My Mauboussin edp, i got to know you 11 years ago and fell deeply in love with you. You are warm, seductive and feminine in a beautiful botlle. Youre powdery patchouli with lovely amber combined with plum and benzoin is a perfect match. You always get complimented when im wearing you, you make a statement and everybody wants to know youre name. But let me tell you something i am glad that youre not a well known one, so i kinda can keep you to myself. I love you.

blueberrymuffin
blueberrymuffin

Beautiful perfume, sweet-sour plum notes at the beginning, flowery heart and very distinctive patchouli, sandalwood and vanilla drydown. Excellent longevity and strength. So it is probably better to dab on than spray.In my opinion,it is a bit similar to Talisman(EDP).

meg1969
meg1969

I try to like something in every fragrance. This, however, is the most dissonant composition of sweet, woodsy, herbal, chocolate I have ever smelled. Just a bizarre set of CLOYING notes. When my pet made a mess on the floor, after I cleaned up, I cracked open the ugly bottle and used the contents to "cover up" the odor. Big mistake. It actually made the house smell worse. This is the only harsh review I have written about a scent, maybe I just have a strong reaction to sweet woodsy smells. If you like that sort of thing, this is the scent for you.

greek_goddes
greek_goddes

I don't know why but i keep smelling chocolate and patchouli in it!
I like it but only for cold weather.

zabica
zabica

Really overpowering. For my liking it is too similar to Clinique - Aromatics elixir, which, unfortunately, causes me nausea and headache. Too harsh, I think ylang ylang is what bothers me .. too herbaly, too laboratory.
I'm not impressed, and was expecting a lot more.

Scarlette
Scarlette

I bought it thinking I would have a replacement for Theorama, but no. Too peppery/burnt for me. If I could remove that ONE smell, I would love it.

nikkiboy
nikkiboy

One of the best perfumes I have smelled in a long time, I get stopped every single time and asked what I am wearing. Lovely dried fruit accord but not too sweet, warm and comforting with a base note of Patchouli, not the Hippie kind more a fresh herbal note. Lovely.

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

i dont like it very much. too much plum brandy and burnt rubber. after it dries down its more pleasent but still not something i would wear.

jtd
jtd

Mauboussin is a big-boned inedible fruity oriental. It doesn’t always strike me as appealing, but it’s always striking. The fruit, plummy, peachy, mandarin, is just a bit rotten. It’s turned fruit that smells good in a brandy-like way but also warns you that it’s no longer edible. Actually, boozy isn’t quite it. Turned fruit and benzoin together smell to me like bitter, alcohol based herbal tinctures. It’s all a reflection of that push-pull food-but not-edible quality that the only gourmands I like seem to have.

The dissonance lasts to drydown when dusty cedar and sweet patchouli fight for the dominant woody tone. Mauboussin is not so much either conflicted or indecisive as ready to pounce one way or the other at a given moment.

olga1780
olga1780

I have an EDT, and it's a real sillage monster, especially for an EDT concentration. To my nose it's quite spicy...very along the lines of Moschino and Kenzo Elephant. When I sniff my wrist I also detect peaches and plums, but as the perfume projects from the skin the fruit notes blend in and don't stand out. I would also put Mauboussin in the category of "intoxicating" scents...it definitely has that femme fatale presence. Simply gorgeous fragrance!
The longevity is average though...gone after about 3 hours.
I was very intrigued by the reviews saying that EDP is a deeper and richer version, so I couldn't help it and ordered a bottle of EDP as well. Can't wait to try it!

empressevie
empressevie

I feel like an idiot. Bought this, unsniffed, bought two bottles actually. Tried the first in what was our autumn winter and...hated it!!

Too oily, too syrupy, too rubbery, too fruity.

So, decided I'd write that review and offer both for swap...
But, luckily, decided to try it again, before I went ahead.

OOOOOOOO. In this warmer weather, went on sweet, multi-layered, rich, enticing. A very delectable combination of fruit, amber and patchouli. So, fruity rich, but with the depth that I yearn for. The other surprise for me is that most think this is a winter smell. For me, these notes come out to dance in the warmth, and work with the sun, and seemed rank and sour in the cold.

Another lesson in trying a perfume over a long, varied period of time and clime!!

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain."

Good luck!

Indigomama
Indigomama

Mauboussin EDP by Mauboussin is not actually a fruity chypre but quite close. I mean, it lacks the classical chypre drydown. However, for me it is the right extent of chypre'ness that makes it quite distinctive if compared to ordinary fruities and still wearable without usual chypre concerns. Mauboussin EDT lacks EDP's personality and therefore may have less fans. Mauboussin EDP is one of those scents that may be well worn everyday and on
a special occasion. Sillage is great, if you don't want your sweater smell for 3 days, avoid spraying on it.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

I found a mini of this gem at my local perfume shop, and was so smitten with the dark, syrupy plum-vanilla that I immediately purchased a 100ml online. For $35, it was a steal!

Unfortunately one of my versions (the mini or the 100ml) must be old or otherwise off as they smell completely different from each other. While both say EDP, the mini's liquid is dark orange whereas the 100ml is a light yellow. The most significant difference, of course, is the scent. The mini is a dark, voluptuous plum with a heavy dollop of vanilla, whereas the 100ml has a drier, plasticky, more powdery aspect that reminds me of fruit left out to dry for way too long. I'm suspecting that either my mini has turned (it was out on display at the store when I bought it) or it might actually have been the EDT. I'll have to find a tester of the EDT to verify, but as of now I love my mini and am unsure about the 100ml.

TankGirl
TankGirl

This fragrance is very interesting, I woulkd say that is a dark woody chypre oriental with a fruty veil. Its very strong, sweet and serious in a way it must be weared only in formal, dressed up occasions. The resins and patchouli are the main notes but the plum is in the backstage to. I like it very mutch, although the top notes are alcholic ans harsh because of a not so well balanced bergamot.
I like it but I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it mutch nowadays.
Anyway, its a classic chic perfume and I'm surprised it was made in 2000.
Get it if you are a patchouli lover!

rougetnoir
rougetnoir

I was given this by a dear friend of mine for my birthday 2 years ago; at the beginning I was not convinced, 'cause I thought it was not my style at all, so this nice, cute elegant bottle was left closed in his box on the shelf! but....something happened!!! I don't know why, but I was captured from the bottle and decided to give him another try! well...it's an old fashioned style perfume, ones of those that evokes memories of the 50's divas, powder, lipstick...and perfume!!! if you like this picture, Mauboussin is for you. patchouly is very strong but because of the bergamot and mandarine is cool and refreshening at the same time. it is very persistent, lasts for hours. love it

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

a perfume for life! it will be never oldfashioned or outdated, it's a timeless beauty, slightly gourmandish, elegant, classy, sophisticated, tempting, intriguing. a vanilla-caramelish delight with all the most precious woods, the most delicious fruits and the most beautiful smelling powdery sweet flowers in this world in one bottle. must have for every women of every age which one loves real perfumes profundly!

puppynose
puppynose

This is soft comfy delight. It has some soft powder, not too sweet and nothing harsh or discordant. I get a delicious soft tobacco scent from this. I love how it smells on me before the powder becomes more pronounced, but even later I like it a lot- this is a powder I can not only tolerate but enjoy:it's not dusty ancient scratchy or too dry. It is not a tween baby powder- it even manages to have character without becoming overbearing or too serious. It works- and I rarely find likable most fragrances that are designed to be primarily powdery or which unintentionally turn powdery.
It'll never replace my beloved Theorema, and yeah, it's a bit powdery but it's comforting and interesting and great stuff.

Angel10
Angel10

I really used to love Fendi's Theorama, and bought this based on LT's idea that this one smelled similar, maybe because Christine Nagel made it as well.

Has way too much pepper for my nose, and hurts my throat. So sad!

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

Mauboussin is different-certainly not what I expected. I thought I'd get smoke, spice and tobacco, not a plum honey jam faintly reminiscent of Poison. I didn't get an Angel connection, like many reviewers did. feeling, if anything, it was more akin to Cssmir.
The beginning is sweet. but as it develops, the patchouli and cedar peeking out lend a nice woodsy edge to the plums. Fruit and woods-hmmmmmmmmmmmm-makes me think...bears! LOL. Seriously, though, if you like woody scents tempered by luscious, lush fruitiness-Mauboussin just might be your baby. Sandalwood and amber fans like me will adore the drydown, and the bottle is cool, too. Surprisingly, I didn't miss the spice. A keeper.

skitten

Mauboussin update: A friend at work always complemented on how good I smelt....
Of course that always makes me very happy and puts a spring in my day....She had never heard of it, as per normal, no one knows of it over here.
I then purchased a bottle EDP the best, at her request, she loved it for a few warming, fleeting hours, but as she loves her daughter immensely and has not seen her for 2 years or more she sent it to her daughter in Africa, as she does with the majority of her aquired divine perfumes.........
I said, "How can you be without your Mauboussin, this is one fume you deserve to hang on to?" Her reply was, "Buy me another bottle, is truly a beautiful scent that Loves me too and yes I deserve this little touch of paradise".
Truly a perfume for the warm hearted, soul searching individual woman, who appreciates a bit of sensuality and class......... A Favourite....xx

Kterhark
Kterhark

(unsure if my sample is EDT or EDP)

My first thought when I smelled this was 'this has cedar in it', and sure enough, it does. This is what really stands out on me. Like many reviewers below, I get zero plum, and zero smokey or incense accords.

But I do get lace doilies kept in the cedar chest for a few decades. I just reviewed a cedar heavy fragrance with Kurkdjian's absolue pour le soir, and this note should be crisp and dry. Here it is dusty and stale.

I also wore one of my favorites today that features plum, and this note should be fat, oily and crystalizing; here it is a bit...ripe.

I do think this makes for a good comfort scent, but if I really want a fruity chypre I have Mitsouko...

maltatude
maltatude

Take it easy with this one!! It is a very strong, full bodied fragrance. Just a couple of sprays to the front of you, that you walk into, is enough. Better to have less, and add, than put too much. It's perfect for cold weather. I had the EDT which I HATED. Pungent, sickly plum notes and just horrid. Then i took the plunge to buy the EDP (of which I had a small sample of). I love it... It's so special, smokey, sexy, sweet, mysterious. Really worthy trying before you buy, but it's really nice to have on in the right climate and setting.

Strong dried fruit at first, with a Tobacco Vanille quality (though without a "real" tobacco note). After a few hours it changes into a Barbara Bui or Kenzo Amour EdP type of fragrance, which is a dry, vanillic sandalwood (in this case it seems like it's combined with another wood note). Imagine icing on wedding cake that is dried to a powder and sprinkled on a wood plank. It's very well done, but strong. After a few samplings I swapped mine off, because there is such a dry wood aspect to it that it begins to irritate me after a while. As you might expect, projection and longevity are great. For men who like fragrances like Joop! Homme, you might want to try this.

Sassy1
Sassy1

Okay, who was playing with the scuba gear when they made this one?
After the initial medicinal slightly sweet fruityness, I get a long period of black rubber tubing and menthol. No tuberose listed as a note, so not sure where the rubber is coming from.
Finally after 1-2 hours, the oriental flavor kicks in and this part is wonderful. It must also be made of quality stuff as I could still smell drifts of it into the next day. (EDP)
All in all, this one is too "artsy" and difficult for me.
It may be a wonder of perfume workmanship but I shouldn't have to work so hard to like it.
I want something that smells interesting but it also has to smell good.
Pass...

janudy
janudy

I find this fragrance better dabbed on than sprayed--it's very potent. It reminds me of rum spice cakes that we have during Christmas- dark, rich, spicy with a touch of liqueur. It's not an everyday fragrance for me, but I do find myself reaching for this when the days are cooler and the leaves are starting to fall off the trees.

skitten

One of my favourites, along with Kenzo Jungle and Opium.I would describe it as an oriental,spicy, warm,sexy and undoubtably intoxicating. Lasts for ever on my skin, always get compliments on it, and no one has heard of it when they ask me what perfume I am wearing. Love that I only know me, who has Mauboussin. x

hollycat
hollycat

The first initial stages of this smell is similar to TM Angel on my skin. I think its the over ripe plum note that gives me the impression of the dark chocolate note I love so much in Angel. It actually smells so similar to Angel on me that it would be pointless to buy a bottle of this. I enjoy it, but I love my Angel much more. This dries down to a fruity, gourmand, vanillic scent. Sweet but not cloying.

Fruity Chrype??? Smells like an oriental to me.

To my nose, MAUBOUSSIN is a dark, smokey oriental--not a chypre--with nearly no sweetness at all. What others describe as "plum wine" or "plum pudding" smells to my nose more like the odor emitted by an appliance that has been overheated or is on the verge of shortcircuiting!

The dominant dark, subterranean mystery note could be an oily leather or a over-roasted tobacco, I suppose, but it smells more to my nose like burnt rubber. Or perhaps a plum compote left to simmer too long on the burner, bubbling like the potion in a witch's cauldron before settling to a gooey tarlike layer at the bottom of the pan?

I wholeheartedly concur that MAUBOUSSIN is unique, but it is not working with my skin's chemistry, and I won't be adding this one to my collection. Désolée!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Mauboussin is a gorgeous chypre fruity, bordering on oriental.

Upon first sniff, I wondered if someone had skimmed and bottled the peaches from my beloved Guerlain Mitsouko. The peach note dominates this scent rather than the plum for me, but all the fruits smell ripe and freshly-sliced, without any added sugar or cream. The dry-down becomes warm and woody, less sweet and with a pronounced cedar note on my skin. I don't get the similarities to Angel or Shalimar that others have mentioned. Prada seems a bit closer, with some luscious peaches on top, but Mauboussin is truly unique.

The EDT has great sillage and decent longevity. A little drop or two will suffice. I'm so sorry to have found this one in Springtime. It may be a bit too heavy for warm weather but I know it will be divine when winter returns.

Tirsa
Tirsa

I bought Mauboussin quite a while ago. Used it last night for the first time - we have a sliding door in the bedroom that leads onto the pool patio. I was getting dressed and the door was open - my husband walked by and called me outside - asking if I could smell Rum and Maple tobacco? I rest my case.

I get an oriental fruity floral, but instead of the modern thin fruity/floral scents, this one is complex and layered enough to smell classic and formal. Very nice, with a golden feeling.

SUPER DIVINE. Hugh quality, great sillage. A++++

guest_Amel Blue
guest_Amel Blue

Hello!!! Nice to meet you. It's my first time to write you and my first community.I love parfums, specially oriental parfums! Iam a brazilian woman.
I love Mauboussin Parfums. I have and love so much this parfums:Mauboussin Extrait de parfum, Histoire D'Eau, Trouble(Boucheron parfums), OPIUM, but in my country is so difficult to find a limiteded edition of some one this,like a Opium Extreme Orient with a wonderfull packaging. I wish to have one some day... rsrs.
Thanks,
Amel Blue

Malegria
Malegria

I bought it untried, charmed by reviews and by promises of a boozy plum note.Well - it`s there!Resinous, strong,slightly astringent and sour, it has the quality of a plum brandy in the making - bubbly, fizzy, heady and intoxicating - when the fruits ferment, mixed with sugar.But I don`t find any similarities with other well known perfumes, and it does not last on me as long as I expected.I love it anyway and probably will get another bottle.

Sashinka
Sashinka

I bought this unsmelled just from reviews, & I'm glad I did! I smell more spice and incense than chocolate and cream from Mauboussin Jalutschka. I do get some dried plums, patchouli, and amber. A "warm" scent to wrap yourself in on chilly days. Loads of sillage. Not for the faint of heart.

zielona
zielona

My beloved patchouli brilliantly mixed with sweet tobacco and plum accords. Warm, vibrant and dry as the autumn, golden leaves. Very powerful, but not boring or overwhelming. Great blend of wood and benzoin in heart notes, makes me feel absolutely blissful.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is a true autumn in a bottle. I never use it during other seasons, it just wouldn't feel right.

But! Beware, recently they decided to reformulate Maubou. Fortunately I have the 'old' version of EdT, fortunately - because the difference IS very palpable: the new version [especially in EdP] is horribly flat and much too sweet. Why oh why, I ask thee?

parisa
parisa

Unfortunately, I don`t detect any plum here (my favourite fruit note), just apricot and peach. Not that bad, but too much vanillasugar-like in a drydown. Also, I don`t detect anything chypre in this, and I love chypre. Fruity-vanilla it is, not my cup of tea.

Mals86
Mals86

Rich as fruitcake - and similarly polarizing. One of those love-it or hate-it scents.

I loved it, from the plummy liqueur up top through the peachy-rose-ylang heart, all the way through the absolutely delicious (but inedible)drydown. I think it may be the benzoin-vanilla-woods-amber combination that reminds me of the drydown of Shalimar Light, which I also love.

I am dabbing instead of spraying, and do not find the opening overwhelming. Sometimes that makes a difference with strong scents, in my opinion.

I despise Angel and don't see a lot of resemblance, although I do get hints of Shalimar in the drydown.

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

Powerful Plum Pummels Pitilessly would be the tabloid headline for the opening blast of this perfume - it's a strong statement and may well put off some delicate types who might have loved the ending but couldn't stay with it long enough to find out.

Luckily, I love strong, statement-making perfumes and am a huge fan of plum, but even for me the opening is a little... brash. It feels very 1980's at that stage - all shoulder-pads and swagger - but I am here to add my voice to the choir singing Mauboussin's praises and advising you to be patient: it's totally worth your while.

After that initial half hour of timewarping comes a richly boozy treat, a plum pudding of deliciousness that slowly unfurls into an incredibly surprising Turkish rose explosion of petals. Surprising only because when I see rose notes buried beneath a list of strong 'flavours', they barely show a hint of their ankles. Here, we have a rose note doing a veritable Can-Can dance, flashing the frilly knickers and all! A sumptuous stage to be savoured - and I am not usually a rosey kind of gal unless, as here, it's decadently sexy.

The boozy plum mellows after a while into a bramble jelly - the kind to be eaten with pheasant - slightly tart, richly delicious.

Several hours after my initial spray and I am at the deeply comforting stage of the dry vanilla with a sprinkling of cocoa - powder; something akin to opening a box of indecently expensive handmade truffles - certainly not an overpowering sweetness, and not at all that noisome, cloyingly fake note that many lesser perfumes linger on. It reminds me of the same stage in Chopard's Casmir (another of my favorites) - with an almost savoury saltiness lurking in the background of the vanilla-pod infused peachiness.

I suppose I can see *some* similarities between this and Angel. Lest you hitch up your skirts and run screaming - fear not, gentle reader, as I really dislike Angel and yet am in love with Mauboussin, so they are hardly twins separated at birth. I think in that opening, somewhere, there is - to my nose - though I realise it may not resonate with anyone else - a kind of blue bubblegum smell that has you reminiscing about your childhood. It disappears quite rapidly, happily enough for me. Such notes should only really appear in perfumes for children or in honour of Z-list celebrities.

Oh, but this final stage has to be experienced - it is glorious, sumptuous and all-enveloping - a gently smoky vanilla laced through with cedar wood & benzoin. A close to the skin natural sexiness to die for. I know I should be saving this for the colder months ahead, but I just don't think I can wait.

sky76sky
sky76sky

Thanks to Kama, I got to trial this unique perfume.

The first 10 mins are almost greasily alcoholic, but persevere & you will be rewarded with a particularly boozy plum scent that lasts & lasts.

This scent is ALL about the plum - deep, rich, intense, dark plum. At first it is very alcoholic - plum liquer is spot-on! I do not think of this as a chocolate scent but for a short time a deep cocoa graces my skin to emphasise the depths of the plum.

The plum brandy then settles into a rich fruity boozy jam - not a sweet jam, but one that has mellowed for many years with an almost dry, viscous quality. This then holds true for many hours before all that remains is the amber.

To my nose, I could not link it to Angel or L.Lempicka - but I do understand why Rach86 talks of cough syrup & Kama is spot on with the Prada similarities in its last gasp.

For me, it is very unique & very grown-up 'plum'. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did!

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

This one was a disappointment for me - a very weird smell, not feminine at all. Kind of woodsy and smokey, lacks the sweetness I need. Though strange and not wearable for me, I have to admit that it comes in a real gem of a bottle!

blueberrypie
blueberrypie

When I first put this on I thought I smelt like someone poured an entire bottle of plum liquor out over my head. I was just about ready to jump right back in the shower to scrub it off when it suddenly mellowed and started smelling like actual perfume. I'm glad I waited for a little while instead of scrubbing right away because if I had, I would've never known what a great scent this really is.
It's sweet, woodsy and ambery but not overly so. It's exactly right.
Not a warm weather scent though, this one is best saved for cool/cold days.
Staying power on me is great, it lasts me at least 8 hours. And that's for the EdT.

parmania
parmania

This is the changing flavor of men.Kogato me ask: How is it? Replied-Аgent Provokateur + sweeter than me plum.Wonderful! Got a compliment:)

Kama
Kama

Thanks to Jalutschka I received this perfume in swap. I was so thrilled by all reviews that I really wanted to have it… and I am glad I do!
I start from the bottle..it is very original bottle, nice box…
Then the 1st spray – it is a bit hard…almost like I needed to learn how to spray it..but it was just 1st spray like that..now it works perfect.

I sprayed and the 1st think was sour smell of plum…pretty uncommon, very intense smell of plum mixed with brandy! It is heavy oriental plum that starts to change from brandy plum into chocolate plum…and that is where I really start to love it…

After 1 hour I can smell really yummy chocolate… it is so yummy that I sniff myself once in 10 minutes…

After few hours the chocolate smell changes into nice sweet fog of vanilla, sandalwood and amber.. and it is where It starts to remind me of Prada...

Rach86
Rach86

The top notes on me scream Robitussin cherry cough syrup. I'm not familiar enough with the particular notes in Mauboussin to tell you which ones are causing that smell.

Once that calms down I get a really nice peach and ylang-ylang. It's a gorgeous, soft scent.

The dry down on me is a pleasant sandalwood and amber.

Savasana
Savasana

I like Mauboussin. On me patchouli comes out first and foremost then there is a wonderful dry fruit accord nicely blended in with it and something delicious that makes it very creamy and smoky. Personally I don't find too much of a resemblance to Angel but I do think it's quite reminiscent of Prada. I have and love all three :)

it's like a less gourmand version of angel mixed with a drop of lolita lempicka.
it's very similar to angel specially in middle notes.very sweet & delicious like you're passing in front of a confectionery.it's a bit woodsy,but not spicy at all.it's not as long lasting as angel and losts it's sweetness sooner.yet I can't call it anything else rather than a version of angel.

numbr9
numbr9

I bought this because I love fruity chypre scents but this is sooo strong. Not for the faint-hearted.

brickbird
brickbird

Interesting, very interesting. A friend of mine had it, and maybe I'm wrong but I found some resemblance with 'Shalimar' of Guerlain, which I like a lot

Mauboussin is a powerful fragrance, a 'here I am' one, very oriental, deep and a very rich one

girlsrideharleys2
girlsrideharleys2

I bought this for my MIL knowing she was a huge fan of Tabu. I find the two of these scents similar so I got her this one year for Christmas and, the rest is history. She loves it and wears it exclusively in colder weather. She gets alot of compliments for it as well. The bottle is very different and kind of hard to handle.

Mauboussin by Mauboussin 3.83 out of 5 based on 394 ratings and 107 user reviews

MAUBOUSSIN for WOMEN by Mauboussin EDT VIAL ON CARD
Mauboussin Cologne by Mauboussin, 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Men
drugstore.com
Mauboussin Eau de Parfum Spray, 3.3 oz
Mauboussin Eau de Parfum Spray, 3.3 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Mauboussin Mauboussin fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Mauboussin Mauboussin, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Mauboussin by Mauboussin. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Mauboussin by Mauboussin represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.