Designers » M » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men

4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men
dislike

I have it: 1435 I had it: 584 I want it: 420 My signature: 6

4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Videos 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Videos
4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures 4711 Original Eau de Cologne Maurer & Wirtz for women and men Pictures

4711 Original Eau de Cologne by Maurer & Wirtz is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for women and men. 4711 Original Eau de Cologne was launched in 1792. The nose behind this fragrance is Wilhelm Muelhens. Top notes are orange oil, peach, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are cyclamen, lily, melon, jasmine and bulgarian rose; base notes are patchouli, tahitian vetiver, musk, sandalwood, oakmoss and cedar. The fragrance is available as 60, 90, 300, 400 and 800 ml eau de cologne, and 150ml after shave.

Orange Oil Peach Basil Bergamot Lemon

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Eau de Cologne

4711 Original Eau de Cologne Fragrance Reviews

Sarraxoxo
Sarraxoxo

I adore this Cologne, always a favorite and quite simply a classic. Fresh, Clean & Exquisite.

SunnyYG
SunnyYG

This is the old school master that brings back memories of grand parents. It was common to have it around like Brylcream and Final Net hair spray. I wouldn't wear it today because it is too strong, too nostalgic and there are so many more choices!

nvenus
nvenus

Very minty...

Jacquelyn1
Jacquelyn1

Oops, I erroneously posted this before signing in. So here it is again...

I found an unopened vintage bottle of this last week in the cool, albeit a little beat up, box. I blind bought based on reviews here. Probably paid too much ($38.00) considering how cheap many say it is in the store. However, I figured 'vintage' accounted for something. I have no childhood memories to attach me to this fragrance, so I am basing strictly on my nose/performance. Whoever said this is like an aftershave is spot on. The bottle even dispenses like I remember my Dad's after shave did. 4711 is here and gone in a matter of only a few short minutes. I very much like it, its different and not at all sweet or floral, which is a good thing to me. After the initial alcohol evaporates in a minute or two, you are left with a very unique (in a good way) soapy smell, which is all gone in 10 - 15 minutes on me. Putting it on my clothes and hair made no difference.
I wish it lasted longer.
I am not sure why anyone would buy this other than to bring back childhood memories.
If you'd like to relive your childhood, I have a full bottle for sale or trade in the U.S.

I wish it lasted longer.

longevity :5/10
80% day / 20% night fragrance

emi
emi

I love that old commercials :D. Especially The "body coctail" one. :)

ninaboo
ninaboo

The perfect scent to help you put your head back together. I've loved this smell ever since I was 10 years old and bought the similar smelling Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle soap on the ferry back home from Calais. The scent is unmistakably citrus dominant but the woody undertones give it a fresh sensuality ( if that's not too much of a contradiction?). I keep a decant from my gigantic 800ml bottle in my fridge and I spritz this on after my evening shower in the summer. I know many people would consider this an old lady scent but my opinion is that class and heritage will always win the day. 4711 might not have great perfume legs as it doesn't last too well on the skin but it is loved and cherished. You don't get to knock around for a good few hundred years without being special.

Arpinette
Arpinette

Perfect for any sports in summer ! I like to wear it at the gym - Fresh and classic.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Like so many others with German or Lithuanian Parents, this scent fondly reminds me of my childhood. My parents always had a bottle on their dresser.

A scent of sweet memories, the most glorious aromatic citrus.Perfect combination of tangy and sweet. I am mad for this!! I must hunt for an Eau de Parfum or Toilette in that smells similar.

As it has been said, the perpetual issue with 4711 is it's weakness. It can leave a veil of citrus freshness on the skin-with effects similar to a powder. A aura of tangy sweetness. Like some have said, the trick to this scent to will last and project better if sprayed or doused on clothing or hair.

Francoparfum
Francoparfum

Mmmm, meh.
I'm pretty happy this doesn't last long.
It is sort of wearable, but I don't think I want people to smell this on me. Not sure I want to smell this on me.
Smells sort of fresh and light, but between this and Tabac, I'm not impressed by German perfume.

Score: 45%
Proverbs 27:9

anahechizo00
anahechizo00

Great for summer days! reminds me of Asprey London´s Purple Water when it´s freshly sprayed then it mellows down into Agua de Naranjos from Mercadona´s Deliplus! strange combo of expensive and cheap! Will definitely stick to my Asprey as it is fairly persistent as a fragrance but this is good for hot summer days too.

sf2explus
sf2explus

This is a nice cologne. Very refreshing you get citrus opening and dries down to a sandalwood base.
Lasting power on skin is 1 hour and that is very close to the skin.
Starts very fresh and within 10 mins it's a skin scent, which i dont mind as they are being very fair with the pricing.
This cannot be used to replace a typical EDC as most high quality EDC still have 2-3 hours lasting power. This is very good quality but the concentration of oils is absolutely minimal so you cant ask for better longevity imo.

For me old spice aftershave lotion for the same price has far better lasting power but doesn't smell better.
4711 is ok for what it is, this is one of those colognes you use for instant freshness when your at home or a pick me up in the morning type scent. I will decant some in an atomiser and keep some of this in my car.
Had the concentration of oil been higher this would be amazing but the price would have increased.
I will finnish my 100 ml bottle and leave it at that.
Also this does not last anywhere near Guerlain Imperial EDC which gives you about 2 hours and small projection but i have to remind everyone once a again most high quality colognes will be priced 5 times higher and imo it is worth spending that money.

Floffles
Floffles

The funny thing is that people still come in and buy it saying that they use it for aches and pains on their joints. After hundreds of years, the whole snake oil thing of its original past still is with it. At least no one drinks it any more for digestive problems...at least I hope not.....

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

I'm not a fan of citrus in fragrances but I love this. 4711 cologne is a fragrance for summer. This is a refreshing way to get cool in hot weather and definitely something to bring with your sun tan lotion sun block and sunglasses at the beach. This is a beach fragrance. This is like drinking cool water when you're dying of thirst in the desert. Absolutely delicious. The first spritz is aquatic and fruity with besides the citrus of bergamot and oranges you get melon and peach. The whole thing dries down to woods. At times I do get a slight flowery smell but it's mostly one giant citrus if not the most citric of all fragrances. I thought I could never wear this but I'm a fragrance whore and I will try anything and I've discovered that I love everything in fragrances. This is what I want to wear now because it's raining and very cold 30 degrees in Manhattan. I want to be in Miami Beach Florida in the warm sun. I'll have to wait.

antigone26
antigone26

I like to keep a bottle of this because it is just so fresh and uplifting. Despite not being a fan of citrus usually, I just love the refreshing smell of 4711. It's reasonably cheap and readily available, so just a nice one to keep in your collection.

kattleia
kattleia

The original 4711 EDC is identical to Tom Ford Neroli Portofino which I really adore and I got only in vial. So I'm wearing 4711 as an alternative, and considering it's unisex, yes.. I got the same feel. It's so uplifting, men and women like it.. smells really really good.

But seems that I'm gonna empty my 300ml bottle too soon because it can last only up to 15 mins on me, I have to reapply oftenly.

No doubt, I'm jealous of those who experience better longevity with this cologne.

Chenet
Chenet

Since my childhood there was a big bottle of 4711 at home, not to drink it, to keep it handy as a boost and splashing beautiful fragrance for those hot sunny days. I still manage to keep a bottle handy somewhere in the house. It is a fresh, clear, clean soft fragrance and it always last on me.

Forget Freeman
Forget Freeman

A mild Cologne.
I have a massive bottle that I got for very little money.

You can't compare this against an EDT or even standard cologne sprays, this stuff disappears after 20 minutes.
Needless to say projection and longevity are not its strong points.

What it is good for is an aftershave/freshener.

For example, if you are out travelling in sticky heat and happen to have a small bottle of this with you, you could put some in your hand and apply around your neck and wrists, there is a definite cooling application with this and helps to freshen you up.

On warm close nights I find applying this around your pulse points before going to bed helps cool and relax you.

This is so cheap that even if you don't like it there's little harm done, but personally I'll always have a bottle of it for the reasons mentioned above.

angelo..zucchinni
angelo..zucchinni

its weak but its an amazing scent...i guess its the orange tree leaves that i smell that bring me back to my crazy play aunts lil green house...its weak but it gets a good 7.5 for the smelll....il just spray again in 20 mins..lol...just being honest

raiza1990
raiza1990

I know the history of this perfume and i respect it but i simply can not bring myself to enjoy it.
It is just so cold and boring. All i get is mint and a generic citrusy smell that reminds me of cleaning products. Maybe if i got more orange i could enjoy it, but the mint really overpowers everything ( and i usually like mint). Also,longevity and sillage are ridiculous, even for an eau de cologne.

rossarlen
rossarlen

This was my Papi's cologne, and my Germanophile dissertation advisor's cologne. No question that there is some serious nostalgia potential in this juice. It is a magnificent burst of refreshing, lemony, slightly sweet scent that disappears in minutes. It is a perfect--read PERFECT--aftershave, refreshing but smooth-feeling. My wife, who hates perfumes, doesn't mind it in the slightest.
It's Old World--sophisticated, herbal, and subtle, fleeting and evanescent--and mature. Buy this for an aftershave, or an after-shower spritzer, buy this for the historical value, buy it for the memories. Whatever you do, buy this, just to have on the shelf. The bottle is beautiful, the smell is incredible, the history is magnificent, and the price is right.

lindley
lindley

Fresh and clean and citrusy with oh too much alcohol and no lasting power once the alcohol is gone.

No wonder ladies used to secretly booze on this.It was probably very useful for royalty to cover up their stench. As a perfume, though...

Wanted to love this for its romantic past, but a lemon scented skin wipe gives the same refreshing effect without the offensive alcohol.

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

I really like the way this fragrance smells. Neroli Portofino is totally out of my price range and this lets you sample some of that accord without spending a car payment.

However, I really am not a fan of the way 4711 performs. Aside from using as an after shower body-freshener or aftershave, it's totally worthless. You won't even get an hour out of this stuff.

Smells great. Doesn't last. You could easily blast through a 5.8 oz. bottle of this in a day.

Dodgy
Dodgy

Beautiful, fleeting and refreshing. I can see why this was seen as a medicine in earlier times. Certainly makes me feel better.

Also, I have a sense that this might make a good addition to a cocktail if used in minute quantities in the fashion of Angostura bitters...But then, I'm an old lush, so...

youngbp
youngbp

I love this fragrance. It is really light, reminds me personally of fruit loops, and its influence is noticeable in many modern fragrances (and cosmetics). It's cheap too! Can't go wrong

Br'eauDeCologne
Br'eauDeCologne

My grandparents wore this. (Of note: my grampa was half-German.) When I splurged on a bottle recently, I was instantly transported back to those times of sneaking a sniff from their dresser. It smells just like I remember.

As many have commented, longevity is a joke. But ah, what you will get while it lasts! Spray or splash liberally and enjoy that one of a kind citrus/herbal refreshment that is 4711.

I can see where this could be addictive to some, invoking a need to carry a bottle at all times for a quick hit.

missan

This is an absolutely wonderful after shave, don´t know if there are any reformulations reasently, but mine is of a top quality.

kagisho
kagisho

Poor Longevity, Poor Sillage....BUT 97% smells like Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford and it costs 10 times less than NP by TF. NP faked 4711 and made it more powerfull....NP is just unreasonably expensive, 4711 is supprisingly way too affordable.

Momenti
Momenti

"Childhood Reminiscence" ***

Inoffensive cologne, so harmless that mummy was not afraid of scenting her son with this.

What more to say? Splurging in the memories of long ago is always a question of timing - if it does say something to you.

brieks07
brieks07

It reminds me of a really strong suntan lotion or sunscreen from my childhood. Lemony with a sharp bite of something I don't quite recognize - it might be the basil. It's a really strong scent initially, but it doesn't last long. I have found, though, if I apply it and then reapply it 15-30 minutes later, it will stay much longer.

**Update** After a lot of thinking about what this scent reminds me of and asking a few other people -- I think I know: OFF Mosquito Repellent! I think that might be it.

NicheMaster29
NicheMaster29

Does it smell like neroli port. By TF? Yes. To the untrained nose, absolutely. I just picked up a 6.8 200ml for $9.99... So, here's the kicker... It's the apitamy of EDC. It doesn't even come with A atomizer bc you have to bathe in it to project and then it just goes away after 30 mins to hr. If the concentration was higher this would be a steal, but how do you think they get away with pricing it so low?...,
Smell 8-10
L & p 2-10
Won't buy any more

Marilimorajaspani
Marilimorajaspani

I love this smell, it does remind me of when I was little at the weekly market, walking behind the slower, older people, going through clouds of their perfumes. I keep an atomiser full of 4711 in my car, it is a great mood lifter and air-freshener.
Smell - 9/10
Longevity - 2/10
Versatile - 8/10
inexpensive, so 8/10 overall.

Stinkerd
Stinkerd

So fresh! At first the citrus is a bit overwhelming but not for long, after a little while the scent becomes softer and slightly more musky. Sadly it doesn't last long at all but that shouldn't deter those considering to purchase this as it's dirt cheap, you can easily buy multiple bottles (one for at home and one for the road) and re-apply throughout the day. What's also interesting: after popping a zit, putting this on it seems to dehydrate and disinfect it which is great.

Ahebbdch
Ahebbdch

Mimicked by many and surpassed by none.

macumazana
macumazana

Here's a nifty little trick to make it longer lasting: I bought a 800ml flacon and poured like 30ml (or a shot) of it out and leave it overnight. I then use a cosmetic syringe to put it into a mini spray bottle for daily use on the go. I guess by leaving the edc overnight the alcohol content got evaporated and that just leaves the remaining fragrance more concentrated :)

ColdDiss
ColdDiss

A sweet, soapy neroli cologne supported by bizarre notes of corn chip and gasoline. I don't find it refreshing, just weird.

Lom
Lom

This is my rescue during the summer and I pour it on my neck and then my torso after the shower to enjoy this uplifting juice. I discovered that if you pour it on your shirt the smell is much much stronger with a very good silage that stays for hours. It's still the best eau de cologne together with Hermes' d'Orange Verte

whatsthataftershave
whatsthataftershave

In terms of the smell I put this along side many of my favourites. My personally favourite smell of any fragrance is VIW, I would give it a 10/10 for smell alone. This gets a 9.5.... honestly its unbelievable.

But, It doesn't last, doesn't project, can't be worn any other time than summer days.

Smell: 9.5/10
Projection: 3/10
Versatility: 6/10

Overall: For the price its a buy, but I wear it most just round the house.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

All this unusually warm weather in the UK has reminded me that I used to enjoy wearing this from time to time back in my teens.

It's main purpose is to refresh of course! It's also uplifting with sunny citrus and underlying notes of bitter herbs, fruits and oakmoss. It's an eau de cologne, not really meant to last but to be re-applied throughout the day as a pick-me-up

I'd wear it for nostalgia's sake, but nowadays there are probably literally thousands of varieties on this theme, not to mention Hermes Le Jardin series by JCL

My favourite of this type is still probably Bulgari's delicate tea/herb/citrus infused Au The Vert, though everyone wore it when it came out.

As I'm unprepared for this freakishly warm weather, the closest I have to this refreshing feel is Kelly Caleche in EDT, lovely bitter grapefruit/floral notes, but I'm craving Amalfi lemon and bergamot right now!

Takeshi
Takeshi

I finally ordered and received this classic cologne and I like it a lot. It smells amazing, and I am amazed because this smells pretty close to the bottle of neroli essential oil that I have. How is this possible with so many notes listed for this bottle?

Anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the reviews, reading up on how people have been using this classic beauty was interesting to say the least.

I have no complaints about the performance. It lasts long! If I keep using it the way I do, which is to just unscrew the cap and sniff on it. :)

The only downside of this 50ml bottle is that it looks pretty, and it looks like nips in a mini fridge. Come to think of it, I never 'tasted' perfumes..

Well, lastly, to describe this EdC in a few words, it is a bright happiness in a bottle. If it makes your grandma happy, that'd be enough for you or me, right? Big thumbs up for the price tag.

wayv
wayv

4711 smells artificial on me, as does eau imperiale by Guerlain. I bought them both without testing first, as they sounded so similar to one of my favorites, Cologne, by Thierry Mugler. I was looking for a deal on Cologne, and ended up trying those scents instead. Anyone want a swap? I will trade both of those for a TM Cologne, a Bobbie Brown Beach, or a Marc Jacobs Daisy (eau so fresh - or not;)

MattyC
MattyC

Wonderful clean neroli scent. I use this before bed as it a relaxing and comforting scent and it's lack lustre staying power is not an issue while asleep.

gedlive
gedlive

I heard from mom that my Lithuanian Grand mother used it. The oldest classic in my collection.

Smells great, is similar to Guerlain imperial. Seems like it smells like a Tom Ford at like 1/50 of the price.

Longevity is very poor, but I have the refilable 3 ounce botle, and will buy a 13 ounce for 20 dollers and refill my sprayer and spray away after shower or shave, or when I wake up at night. For that purpose it's great.

Rating: 7.75/10

chaospace
chaospace

I am using 4711 as an aftershave for years. It makes me just feel even better after a good shave and that's the point I guess. It disappears very quickly and leaves just a very very subtle cedar undertone which combines well with any EDT I put over when leaving my home. The perfect cologne for me.

carlsx
carlsx

estaesta, that was the best description of this fragrance. Love it!

AndreiCristian
AndreiCristian

This last one 1h decent after 2 you still can smell it ... I try this at mall ... hmmm have so bad performace but i think i will buy a 100ml bottle and a 5ml sprayer and put that scent in the 5ml sample , then take that sample with me and use this when i want :)

landshark321
landshark321

The originator, German namesake of all that men call fragrance, is a very light, agreeable, fresh, combination of citrus and neroli. As inexpensive as it is, it's hard to be critical of the longevity, which is severely lacking, so if in doubt, spray more, or reserve for the summer or when you don't want to project much. It's the classic soapy fresh scent that leans slightly toward traditional sunblock but not so much to be prohibitive, just reminiscent of the beach / pool. And it's not so warm weather-leaning that it wouldn't be pleasant to use year round either.

It's a cheaper substitute for Thierry Mugler Cologne in my opinion, and not much is lost on longevity, just on projection. And it's a good impostor for Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, as well, but between 4711 and TFNP there is no comparison on projection, the TF entry being a full on EDP of the private blend line.

Great, cheap fragrance that should be part of any collection but only misses high marks due to lacking projection and longevity.

6 out of 10

psebi101
psebi101

Surprisingly, it has a great smell. I suppose the formula has been tweaked with time, because it seems modern to me.
It is very fresh and it reminds me of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino and Aqua di Parma Essenza right off the bat. It projects for about 15 minutes and lasts for one to two hours.

Projection: 1/10

fire2heart
fire2heart

Bought this yesterday. As soon as I smelled it, I remembered it from the 70's. Though, something must have changed with the formula or it's my chemistry because the opening smells a little like corn tortillas. Thankfully that quickly fades to the yummy citrus scent of lemons, limes and oranges with the other notes supporting them.

I transferred some of the contents from the splash bottle into a spray bottle and I think it makes the experience even better!

Now that the corn tortilla scent has gone away, it smells a bit like fruit loops (as someone in a fragrance group I'm on mentioned).

I get about 2 hours of a skin scent on me.

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

I first smelled 4711 on vacation in Martinique when I was four, and I still associate it with the Caribbean, as opposed to Germany. (From the prior reviews, it sounds like Germans disassociate themselves from it as well.)

Of course it disappears immediately. The key is to fork over half a Benjamin for the 27 ounce bottle and then spray the stuff all over yourself and every piece of fabric in your house repeatedly all summer long. That seemed to be the method used by Martiniquans in the early '70s, and in New York City, where I suffer the summer months, the need is far greater.

LaviniaMidnight
LaviniaMidnight

I love citrus scents and especially appreciate one that is not too flowery and girly, I have plenty of those. The most perfect one I was lucky enough to buy was made by Corine Cobson, but unavailable now. So I sprung for a gift set of 4711 and looked forward to trying it. My reaction was of yuck, it smells like an old man. I was so disappointed. However, one day I was shopping in my favorite vintage store looking for old treasures, I found a vintage bottle of this in a light blue bottle. I spritzed a little and the most lovely shower of oranges and lemons was released. It was a comforting refreshing scent and I wondered why so different from the new bottle I had gotten and tossed into a drawer? I love my vintage edition and will be so sad if this is the only bottle I ever have.

sasana
sasana

This is, at least in Germany, not considered a perfume or wearable fragrance. Everybody who hears just the name Koelnisch Wasser connects it immediately to old grannies. I'm surprised that so many seem to use it outside of Germany. It is refreshing and smells of Lemon, but it is not really a perfume/fragrance as its smell doesn't last more than a minute. Rather outdated and not cherished by young people, at least in Germany.

Heavensent3
Heavensent3

My darling Grandma in England loved this back in the 60's...happy to say I have it....found it through Etsy!

ia_ramos
ia_ramos

As a child of German parents, I grew up with 4711 (and my mother wearing Tosca among others). While my father would splash some 4711 after shaving, it was my mother's use of it that has stuck with me. Anytime we were sick with the stomach flue (read: nausea), she would spray this wonderfully light elixir all over us and with a deep breath we would feel better. Today, I have a bottle that my 8 year old son rubs under his nose for the same reason! Yes, there is no lasting power to this, but for me, this scent is all about instant refreshment. Heaven!

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Overall: 9.5/10
Here's Why:
I recently found a bottle of this (Very vintage possibly 1920's) sealed and in the original box.
nothing has spoiled and it smells delightful.
the right kind of crisp, fresh clean soapy smell.
Just out of the shower, cool and refreshing.
Citrus-y, musky heaven!
This lasts for quite a while on me (lucky for me i guess based on other reviews!)
A few splashes after the shower and I'm all set!
great, classic clean.

jeglmg2003
jeglmg2003

Scent isn't the problem with this one....Lasting power is non-exsistant.

małgorzata.kurpiewska
małgorzata.kurpiewska

This is so good! Clean, fresh and with character at the same time. I used it on hot summer days, very refreshing and soothing.

DC-8
DC-8

ECHT KOLNISCH WASSER... Received as a souvenir of Koln from someone. As a classic cologne, I admire this one. Very classic, nostalgic and all-time masterpiece to me. Specially gives a perfect feeling for post-shower tonic.

It's all citric and floral theme, starting with energizing and fresh citric and orange blossom notes, enriched with floral themes. In the background a touch of musk is sensible.

Unfortunately on my skin doesn't even last for 10 minutes, let alone of the projection.

I do understand of the intact formulation and I do admire 4711's decision. Unlike some brand like Dior that have manipulated original Eau Sauvage Extreme and a few others, I love the way 4711 still produces it according to the ancient formulation. But yet I wish there some alternative or a ditto(!) as a long-lasting version of this cutie!

Longevity, Sillage and projection: 0.00 of 10 :-( Pity indeed

jsaliga
jsaliga

A nice scent that is bettered by just about every other Neroli/Citrus fragrance on the market. The problem with 4711 is that the concentration is too weak and it is gone in a flash. I only get about 90 minutes of longevity and sillage is very poor. If you like Neroli then Thierry Mugler Cologne is a much better choice, and if you have deep pockets and want beastly longevity then take a look at Tom Ford Neroli Portofino.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

4711 is an enigma for me. Just look at all the ingredients that are supposedly in it; and initially all I smell is bergamot. I have some bergamot essential oil on one hand, and 4711 on the other. The differences are subtle. Almost imperceptible. Subjective, without doubt. Wonderful fragrance all the same. Absolutely unisex too.

Works well for combating heat stroke, and calms headaches generally. Also if I have trouble sleeping. I dab some on the back of my neck and shoulders - and presto! I suddenly feel a whole lot more relaxed. Since citrus is supposed to be an effective insect repellant, if applied liberally to feet and legs it might afford protection from bites - an idea I intend to test since I'm inclined to sleep with my feet outside the sheets.

The sillage is notoriously weak; but not as bad as people are making out on Fragrantica (no doubt subject to ambient temperatures and additional variables pertaining to the individual). Compared to some scents, sure it is light-weight. However, the longevity is quite remarkable. Seriously. I applied some to my forearms yesterday mid-afternoon, and waking from a nights sleep 15 hours later it was still there and most noticeably so. (Just close to the skin).

It is incredibly refreshing, and even seductive in it's honest breezy charm. I would love to smell this on my partner next to me in bed. Maybe I should ask her to try it for me. Why not? (It's hardly 50 Shades of Grey).

I am quite passionate about 4711. For me the effect is close to mesmerising. Which is a remarkable admission. If pressed to explain myself I would postulate I am picking-up a whole lot more of the "something else" which goes into this concoction. Forced to describe this in a single word, that word would be ethereal. Strange thing to say, but some days I crave 4711.

buddyabello
buddyabello

I love 4711! I splash a bit of this on every evening when I get out of the shower. It's just so crisp and uplifting... it reminds me of the stuff my mom used to splash on us each morning before school -- Nenuco and/or Monaguesca. The scent doesn't last long, but for an hour or so 4711's freshness really lifts my spirits!

Scarbie
Scarbie

Wonderful wonderful cologne! No wonder it has been around so long. Love this orange blossom citrusy fragrance. I appreciate that it is not sweet. Sometimes you just need a crisp wake-me-up type scent. The longevity is only about 2-3 hours for me but it is so inexpensive that I don't mind. It smells very similar to TF Neroli Portofino. I think I paid $10 for a 60ml bottle.

black_dots_lady
black_dots_lady

That is the only perfume that I can wear in the summer time. Cool lemonade with something green on the top. This is a remedy for headache and nose.

maski_fm
maski_fm

Modern classic, reminds me of Creed Jardin d'Amalfi? To me it smells quite modern, perfectly balanced. I would not consider this as unisex, men only.

kiristarr
kiristarr

In my jetted tub, I never use bath oils or bubble bath, as I do not want to gunk up the works. Instead, I add splash fragrance to the water. 4711 is a perfect bottle to keep around for this purpose, as the price mitigates any guilt over such fast and frivolous use of my perfume. The scent is particularly refreshing for a post-workout bath or a summer evening bath.

valentinocerca.amore
valentinocerca.amore

profumo simpatico ma potente quanto una scoreggia ,circa 20 minuti sulla pelle ,profumo uguale a neroli portofino solo un pò più longevo circa 2 ore sulla mia pelle ma non fate il mio errore di compralo a peso d oro provatelo prima , se 4711 costa 10 eu 100 ml per neroli portofino di tom ford non date più di 20 eu per 100 ml .

Noseitalia
Noseitalia

I got this today for 13 euros in the 100 ml bottle. It's a blind buy for me as I read it was similar to Tom Ford Neroli, which I absolutely love but can't afford. The one I got doesn't come in spray bottle but in one of those old bottle you have to drop the perfume onto your skin, not spraying it. Anyhow...I like the fragrance very much...Yes it's very similar to Tom Ford Neroli, which is way more expensive. I'd say it is 80% similar to Tom Ford Neroli, but this one is an eau de cologne while the other is an eau de parfum and that's a very noticeable difference. Once you drop 4711 it will last a few hours, 2 hours on me :( but the scent itself is very good and fresh, maybe a bit limy at first but then it blends as Tom Ford Neroli does, only with less sillage and lasting power.

scotrob
scotrob

One of the oldest of all colognes and still in production. Sadly, it is very weak compared to others that are on the market now, so it should be applied liberally....but even with liberal application do not expect it to last more than a few hours, and only those close-up to you will detect it. Perhaps one for the bedroom rather than the office. The opening of this is pure citrus and very fresh and clean. Below this is a faint woodiness but it would take a very experienced nose to identify all of the notes present.

When I first smelt this it strongly reminded me of something, but I couldn't think what. Eventually I remembered: this is the fragrance which has been used in original Brylcreem for years and years as any fan of this product will realise.

pmtavake
pmtavake

If you wear this, do NOT be conservative. I also remove the juice from the bottle so I can spray it into my hair to make it last a bit longer. HATE the performance, LOVE the scent. If I wanted to have the same performance as one of my other colognes, by the end of the day I'll have sprayed this stuff 50+ times (seriously not an exaggeration). With an EDT I won't spray more than 6 at one time, but with 4711 being an EDC I'm spraying AT LEAST 10 times. This scent isn't one you wear for attention, but more so to comfort the hell out of yourself. I just roll my eyes back every time I spray. Do yourself a favor and purchase the 27 oz bottle.

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

My great-grandfather, Opa and dad wore 4711. This was the first fragrance I remember being intrigued by and I am still, to this day, very into orange blossom fragrances because of 4711. If only it lasted longer - it would be my signature! :)

I wouldn't want my husband to wear this because it is so tied to the men in my family, but I get my fill of this cologne when I visit my mom for the holidays. She keeps a bottle of this in my dad's office bathroom (he passed away in 2007) and I always slip in the bathroom and splash some on throughout the duration of my stay to remind me of him, and to smell amazing, of course.

I love 4711 4ever!

mildspicej17u55l

I wish this stuff lasted longer. I really like the boozy, orange blossom, orange, peach vibe that come's off of it. If it did'nt smell so good id probably not ever get this again.

thomkallor
thomkallor

I sniffed this many many years ago and recalled it as a tangy zesty citrus - so I purchased a small bottle at Bed Bath and Beyonce to take on a cruise. I was so very pleasantly surprised when I spritzed! This is, in my admittedly limited experience the holy grail of orange blossom! Lovely, comforting, just marvelous! Perfectly unisex. My only complaint would be it's stubborn refusal to last very long - but still, a really happy purchase!

Planet_X
Planet_X

I think classic becomes classic when its unmistakably comfortable for its wearers.
Dariush Alavi in his Le Snob wrote that its like "a hug from a favourite uncle who's never let you down" and its pretty much this same feeling to me. Woodsy-herbally-citrusy classic cologne - you get what you see, and you see what it is.
I also get lilies and melon so it would be a comfortable blanket for a women as well. Lovely.

CitrusHead
CitrusHead

CLASSIC

One of my all-time favorite scents - I never tire of it. I'm not the only one since this has been around since 1792! This is just clean, wonderful lemon (not the cleaning fluid type) & it seems like lavender to me, although it is not listed in the notes. I don't really get other notes other than citrus, lavender, cedar, oakmoss & basil. I wish this lasted more than an hour on my skin/clothing. It just disappears & leaves no trace. When I think unisex scents - this is the one at the top of the list. Thankfully, it's inexpensive so I can just spray & spray.

Sorendara
Sorendara

I got this because A) It's a chance to get an 18th century fragrance and B) It's cool to have an 800ml bottle that isn't a factice available for display.

I got this as a blind buy, and am happy with my purchase. It's a very nice scent, if somewhat masculine; happy, bright and playful.. It isn't very long lasting, but unlike, for example, a Tom Ford that isn't very long lasting, I feel perfectly comfortable just spraying more on.

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

Love love love this stuff , now i see why its been around for 222 years, one very old but very wonderful cologne!!!!!!!!!

JFrags

if only this was as popular as old spice; that wouldn't be such a bad thing but it would make this refreshing icy cold glass of master cleansing awesomeness overdone.

and yes i did make the spicy lemonade diet analogy.

it is really something that is so classic and underdone

so fresh lemony and spicy with a slight tinge of woodiness... nothing too overbearing unless you know someone who hates the smell of lemongrass.

but it can attract bees because you'll smell like a lemon tree.

soothing, calming, lemony... if you're upset and need a "woosah" moment, this is the ticket.

pity this on me smells for about 10 minutes.. and seriously just fades away. I ask people if they can smell me, 'smell what?' lol that is too bad!
but it is so cheap it's worth the blind buy

Kokomo
Kokomo

I go through 4711 quickly because I wear it in the evenings at home and on weekends. I kind of dump it on my head. My wife thinks I may have a problem because I hide bottles of the stuff around the house.

It's fairly easy to describe how it smells as opposed to what it does for my mood when I put it on.

LeVitrail
LeVitrail

When I sprayed it on my wrist,I couldn't stop thinking it smelled like some herbal bitter...Really wanted to like it because the bottle design is really awesome.

ca-ar
ca-ar

I wanted the Tom Ford Neroli Portofino since it came out but could not justify the $210 price tag. I had a tester and the fragrance has almost zero staying power. Then I found the 4711 original and its the same exact fragrance for so much less! it doesn't stick around long either but I put some in a little spray bottle and just freshen it up a couple times a day. This is one of my current faves!

LisaMari
LisaMari

So bitter and dry ;( it smells like a gin & tonic

jamdavmiller
jamdavmiller

High quality Fruit loops: A spritz of 4711, an ice cold glass of milk and you're off to work with a brilliant start to your day. That is not to say that I don't like this fragrance, because I do. The scent does wear close to the skin and you need to reapply it throughout the day. Or as they do in the video add just bathe in it.

Tine1world
Tine1world

LOL LMAOL @ Glen Gemenian. wino indeed.

glen.gemeniano
glen.gemeniano

I haven't tried Neroli Portofino so getting a 800 ML, yes 27 OZ of Eau de Cologne is a bargain. In mere minutes the scent disappears. Splash on as much as I want whenever I want should be the motto for this fragrance. That 800 ML bottle cost $45 at Ontario Mills. I need to find a spray bottle to reapply without having to look like a wino with this huge bottle in my hand every hr. I am starting to understand its charm and am going to start to use it this week to see if it will be my signature scent for the remainder of the summer.

Littlegrassstraw
Littlegrassstraw

A shy beauty which stays superclose to the skin but smells heavenly: natural flowers, mild citrus and herbs in a surprisingly sophisticated and extremely well-balanced mix without too much sweetness. Pure refreshment! Gives a clean feeling but in a very natural way (no detergent notes). I would wear this anytime I want to be super subtle but still smell beautiful. I think longevity was only a few hours.
This scent is certainly not only surviving for nostalgic reasons even if that was for me the initial appeal! And it does not smell dated to me - perhaps apart from the fact that the nowadays everpresent synthetic notes (tonka, aquatic, fruits etc.) have not been added, thankfully.

ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.

Smooth, refreshing, you get that beautiful Neroli & Bergamot! Stays linear...... This is definitely not a frag to expect any complex note breakdowns or transition to a heart and base......... Very innocuous scent....., can't think of a sole it would offend, even those with allergies...... Rest assured tho, it won't go past an hour in terms of longevity.... Extremely close to the skin... Should we be shocked?!?!? After all, it is called: "eau de cologne"! GOOD NEWS? At these prices, you can easily transfer to an atomizer and reapply a couple spritzes every 2 hrs or so......... Amazing how close it's DNA comes to Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford........... Comparing the notes, there are several differences, but interestingly, pretty identical after the blending process...........

Magie Noir
Magie Noir

Ok, I would like to bring the verdict here. I just bought 100ml from Boots and the moment I put it on my skin reminds of my travel to Berlin last year when I got 30ml spray. Back to the point, 4711 seems to be more then a cologne poured on a bus by a bus lady but rather a fragrance in extremely dilluted version. That's why it's called cologne. Why am I saying this? Beacuse there's rich interchangeability between the notes and it is hardly linear. When you apply on skin in a timeframe of 20 minutes, albeit a super skin scent, notes keep unraveling like layer over layer in a very complex gestation and that's what this perfume-cologne is so special about. Compared to the Turkish Colonya, the Turkish is very linear, single-note lemon water ,while this is something created with great deal of thought and sensibility. The silent dry-down is a rather disappointing on my acidic skin - that being said, the finale reminds of Faberge Brut Spray, forgetting its bitter champagne-jasminey romantic start. I'm interested to see how this smells on a skin less acidic than mine. It as a win-win for hot summer days when one prefers to smell nice, while sweating. Very much work frag! Longevity is a resolvable issue if you re-apply generously.

johnsmunro
johnsmunro

The one would be a LOVE for me if it lasted longer. It is nearly identical to Neroli Portofino but it only lasts an hour. You've gotta spray it constantly...BUT it cost almost nothing to own (3.3oz for like $15). Having said that, now that you know you can find it for dirt cheap, it is an ideal shower fragrance. After work or after the gym, spray liberally knowing you won't offend anyone and you'll smell great until you go to bed or get home from the gym. It's a goodie. For the price...why not add one of the classic frags in this game. Happy Hunting.

ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.

Very very safe and versatile fragrance. For those of you who like the Neroli Portofino DNA, you'll LOVE thus one! The only caveat is this: prepare a 1.5-5ml atomizer, carry it to work or wherever and reapply in my guesstimating: about every 2.5-3hrs. At these prices tho, no need to worry about shelling out too much cash... You can STILL find a 300ml bottle for $20-30USD! Great value for your money guys.....!

wingsofcindy

I hadn't worn 4711 Original Eau de Cologne in years, but felt like something fresh, so I bought a large splash bottle. It's just as I remembered. The bottle I bought came with a leaflet with instructions on how to clear a headache. You splash some 4711 in the palms of your hands, then rub on the temples and back of head and neck. I actually had a headache at the time, so I tried it. Within literally minutes, the headache disappeared, and I felt refreshed...

I love the cooling properties as well, as I live in a sub-tropical climate. It is so uplifting and refreshing during our humid summer months. I refilled my old atomiser bottle and popped it in the refrigerator for a spritz on really hot days - divine!!!

I learned (many years ago) that this was the first registered fragrance. Of course, there were many fragrances before 1792 (think Egypt), but 4711 was the first one registered. That appeals to my curious mind... And who can resist the bottle? Love, love, love it!!!

Sylvie-Aus
Sylvie-Aus

It is THE " Eau de Cologne", The authentic , the one and only , a piece of history , pure creation. It is beautiful , I know it since I am a toddler , reminds me of my yearly visit to my family living in Cologne Germany. My mother would always drives back home with a big bottle, home being the south of France, Grasse. There were no "Eau de cologne" there, sure plenty of parfums, kinda ironic isn't it !

picasso_x
picasso_x

Truly classic man cologne until now. It's very fresh and clean ,good smell but soft sillage and not last long. Perfect in humid land all day. 4711 is the best one in perfume world.

phillip.jones.71868
phillip.jones.71868

Citrus, maybe aloe vera. I really don't get a lot of depth out of this. It's not horrible it's just not very good on me.

Femigirl
Femigirl

Not good. Lemon scented detergent comes to mind.

nise
nise

I adore this scent! on myself but more so on my partner. I just want to keep smelling his face when he puts it on. The sweet orange is so fresh, invigorating, delicious, I love how it mellows down to a gorgeous cedar musk. My only wish is that the scent would stay stronger, longer than the 30 minutes it lasts on me.

Chilly28r
Chilly28r

I found this more of a masculine scent and it reminded me of a barber shop.

CastoR&Pollux
CastoR&Pollux

memories - nothing but memories - so lovely

schamberae
schamberae

Ooooow... this is exactly smells like classic wet tissue we got from bus or airplane. I remember when I went to my grandma house, the bus servant would give us a box of snack with water and a wet tissue that smelled like this. 100% similarity. usual cologne, but the bottle is so classic timeless.

Remember, the Old Classic fragrance would be hit and super on their own era, but 50-100 years later we will find the similar scent on cheap air freshener, cheap wet tissue or cheap walmart cologne

CatherineLaundon
CatherineLaundon

Opening- Strong lemon and orange citrus. (10 mins).

Middle- Floral, rose and lily are both prominent, faint lemon and orange can still be detected joined now by melon. (10-15 mins)

Base- A faint mix of patchouli, rose, vetiver, cedar, sandalwood and musk. Some peace and melon citrus still permeating the scent.

Very unisex, the opening appears more feminine but the dry down is quite masculine and musky. Very sophisticated, I just wish it was stronger! Please make this in an EDT!

Scent cloud= None really, scent lies very close to the skin. Have to get really up-close and personal to smell it (soft).

Total wear time on me= 2-3 hours (but this was really pushing it!)

anna.dkr5

Simply great! I just wish it lasted at least half a day...

cosette1580
cosette1580

I like this fragrance so much. It brings back so many memories from my childhood. It is the best fragrance for me to use during the hot summer months. It is so fresh, refreshing and clean it feels like you just took a shower. I adore the crisp citrus notes at the beginning. I don't get any of the woods notes listed just lemon, bergamot and a hint of jasmine.

Unfortunately, it only lasts an hour max on my skin so I mostly use it as a splash. It also helps me with headaches, I find it really calming.

I think I will always have a small bottle of 4711 in my perfume wardrobe.

mildspicej17u55l

This is from the 1790's? Smells pretty new. Love it and found it with the aftershave.

gd15329
gd15329

Very very old school but if you like lemony scents this is a classic. I liked it.

Jennypennypocket
Jennypennypocket

I LOVE this fresh scent, though I shouldn't because:

1) I usually despise aquatics (like CK one), and

2) I don't prefer citrus scents (unless they are gourmand, like J. R. Watkins "Lemon Cream" lotion)

But I TRULY ADORE this TIMELESS CLASSIC.

This classic version is the best, IMO. I don't prefer the other versions (two of which I own and will soon be passing on):
• 4711 Acqua Colonia Lemon & Ginger or
• 4711 Acqua Colognia "Blood Orange & Basil"
(which smells like Elizabeth Arden's "Grean Tea")

The original 4711 is PERFECT for repeat spritzes throughout the day because it is very affordable and it's also so light and fresh, not to say it doesn't have longevity --it's just that my senses become dull or overloaded and I often can't smell my own perfume after about 5-10 minutes past the initial spritz. But unlike rich perfumes, like Angel by TM, where everyone else and the boy down the street can smell you, however, you can't really overdo this one!

ldyausten
ldyausten

Well I've owned this before I was born. ( My mother purchased a bottle when she lived in Germany in the mid/late 60s. ) I inherited her bottle years later. ( Still smells true). I stumbled upon this and bought it a few weeks ago. Every now and again I get fragrance nostalgia. Here's what I get, clean, soapy almost aldehyde like qualities but it has a strong citrus base that keeps it fresh and crisp. I sorta doused myself with some this morning and went on my merry way to work. ( 8 AM) At 3 PM, a woman stopped me and said "What are you wearing? It smells amazing!" I completely forgot that I had it on, and gave her a generic answer of " Something I mixed up in my perfume oil lab" It wasn't until this evening as the scent wafted toward me as I got undressed ( 8 PM) that it was only my 4711. So, I'm not sure who says this doesnt last long, but on my freshly showered and lotioned skin, it lasted all day. Of course I will wear it again tomorrow to see if it's a fluke!

glauber7
glauber7

lemon juice with water put on the garbage waste of money

Bedhead
Bedhead

Love love love this fragrance, not only because of the memories it invokes, but for the clean, fresh, citrusy, almost astringent quality of the scent. It doesn't last though. Within an hour or so, the scent is completely evaporated. You either can carry it with you and reapply liberally, or get a bottle of gs03 from Biehl Parfumkunstwerke. It's a 21st century version of 4711 that will last on your skin without compromising that glorious fresh fragrance.

osiris5
osiris5

O yes who hasn't grown up with this perfume. this is the first perfume you can remember as child. And who's mother didn't have it in here bag when your family took there holidays and traveled by car when there still was no airco? This perfume is filled with so much memories. It is one of the EdC's that is so classic and even belongs into the bathroom closet next to basic medicines.
It opens with that typical citric-woody scent that is also present in some great perfumes as in Acqua di Parma Colonia and also in Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee. In the beginning the citric-aromatic woody scent opens. It is no strong long lasting cologne. in the middle floral notes with in the background a slight sweet fruity scent. It ends with white musk, vetiver and patchouli with a very faint sandal.
It is a typical perfume that you use for the scent that is uplifting and refreshing. It is not that cologne you would wear because it doesn't last long. it belongs to those classicals they used to perfume handkerchiefs like Colonia of Acqua di Parma. But it is and stays one of the most well know eau de cologne with that uplifting and refreshing scent that makes you embrace life itself.

almarie
almarie

My grandmother used to wear this and I have fond memories of this scent because of that. I will add this to my collection in the future for that reason.

SDavis93
SDavis93

This is the perfect cologne clean, crisp, citrus fresh and energizing. you have most probably smelt a fragrance similar to this but this is like the ancestor of cologne, it has been around for almost 200 years and, they say the formula has not been changed since then, smells as modern as any fragrance today aswell, its a frag you splash on when you don't know what to wear or after a shave or shower to feel extra refreshed, its an eau de cologne so do not expect amazing projection or longevity, I get 1-2 max out of this but its such a nice smelling fragrance so simple, also you can pick up 800ml for around £40 on ebay so you will have enough to keep applying.

its has a clean, sharp refreshing citrus opening( lemons and orange blossom) with a subtle floral mid (jasmine and neroli) and a gentle woody dry down (Musk and sandalwood) its a great spring/summer fragrance that everyone would like especially if you are a fan of fresh scents, summer or aquatic scents, its a unisex fragrance based on the fact that its such a light, pleasant, fresh scent but i believe its suited more for men, overall great 8/10.

Catch83
Catch83

First whiff I get rose and jasmine, and that's it it's gone. Nice smell just wished it would stick around longer.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Wow. I wore this years ago and I just couldn't remember what it smelled like, but I'm not kidding, this fragrance has been stalking me lately. I see it EVERYWHERE I turn. By the 10th time I saw it, I finally took a hint and bought it. WOW. This is a straight up GORGEOUS neroli blossom cologne. I have an orange tree that is actually blossoming right now and I keep running outside to get big beautiful whiffs of it and I can tell you, the smell is exactly the same. My *only* complaint is that it's a cologne, so I have to keep reapplying every hour. Who cares. I got a bottle big enough to shower in it for dirt cheap. It makes me think of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz who went to Oz only to circle back home. I have searched and searched for a straight up neroli soliflore for years, only to find that I already had the perfect one before.
Someone compared it TF Neroli Portofino and I completely agree! TF Neroli Portofino minus the huge price tag!

Augustarina
Augustarina

This is a timeless staple. Not having 4711 in the house for me is almost like not having bread or milk on hand!

I got my first bottle when I was about 7 or 8, living very close to Koln. I've just taken it for granted all these years as an invigorating splash-on. But it's a really refreshing mood-lifter, wonderful for all ages and all seasons!

jaylim87
jaylim87

I was surprised that I found this at local Sears. I sprayed on my hand about 2 hours ago, and I barely can smell anything. But 20-30 minutes after spraying was nice enough, smelled like Neroli Portofino which I love.

Kiera79
Kiera79

This is a nice soapy, aftershave-y kind of scent. Citrus usually goes terribly wrong on me, but this is pleasant and inoffensive. That said I think I would like this more on a guy than for myself, but I'll enjoy my sample while it lasts :)

piggyluv
piggyluv

In Germany, when my mother was in labour giving birth to my brother, the nurses would wipe her down with 4711 water to cool and refresh her. That's what 4711 is for, cool refreshment.

guest_luna rebel
guest_luna rebel

10 minutes? I wish this fragrance lasted this long on me. Unfortunately, the scent fades into oblivion within a mere minute. This is not an exaggeration; people really can't smell it on me after the initial spritz is over. No wonder they sell 4711 in 2 liter bottles! On a positive note, this is truly an amazing refreshing natural scent, which makes the terrible silage and longevity all the more disappointing. I am on a quest to find a scent exactly like this one but much stronger and longer lasting. I wish the company would just make an EDP version of this.

invaderlark
invaderlark

I love this scent but wow that did not last more than 10 minutes on my skin. I can see why they have such huge bottles of it in splash form because you're gonna be soaking yourself in it if you want people to smell you. Damn shame because it smells so wonderful. I wish they would make it in a stronger concentration. It smells like summer to me and it's really refreshing in winter time when it's cloudy and terrible outside. Kind of like a glimpse of what is to come in 6 months.

hendra777
hendra777

This is not a perfume to wear daily, but this perfume is very nostalgic, remind me of my childhood activity, there was also a wet paper towel for travellin using this perfume and almost everyday I used it.

SofiaAmbrosia
SofiaAmbrosia

4711 - this wonderful cologne helped me throughout many a childhood ailment including nausea and fever! A must-have staple or any household!

pravda48
pravda48

Wow, that's... shocking! Lol...

Is it just me or does the inital spritz smell like basic sunscreen?!? & then oh my goodness ORANGE OIL! Like that oil cleaner you use on wood furniture? That's what I get from this, exactly. Cool bottle, received as a blind sample and went for it :)

Cassiano
Cassiano

For those who don't know, the famous Cologne No. 4711 takes this name because it was produced in Glockengasse No. 4711 , in the city of Cologne (Köln) in Germany, where lived the Mülhens family, then owner of the company, when the Cologne was created.

The German brand was responsible for making the expression Cologne in a generic term for the category.
Tells the story that, with the occupation of the town by Napoleonic troops (which just ended in 1814), Napoleon ordered the numbering of the houses on this street for your greater control. It was up to the owner of the small factory the number 4711. However, when Napoleon ordered the disclosure of all remedies’ recipes (in 1810), the German manufacturer decided that he wouldn’t fabricate the miraculous water (aqua mirabilis) anymore and yes, the scented water, used initially by French officers for refreshments. It has born the KÖLNISCH WASSER 4711 brand (the legitimate "Cologne"), which was officially registered only in 1845.

In 1964, the home located at 4711 Glockengasse street number, which had been completely destroyed by the bombings of World War II, was rebuilt and became a huge store and one of the main tourist attractions of the city of Cologne.

The fragrance has notes of orange, lavender, lime, tangerine, neroli oil, etc. which makes it extremely refreshing. The target audience, in my opinion, are those people who love sleep scented or like to wear a good cologne for exercising, without having to use the more expensive or with a higher projection EDT.
A historic success!

rockegg
rockegg

When CK One first came out and everyone was making such a fuss about it being a unisex fragrance I laughed. What was the big deal? Why was this so shocking and modern? 4711 has been around forever!

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

I put on this woodsy, lemony, spicy-pine number and that delightfully cheesy new toaster strudel commercial by "Pillsbury" -- the one with all the yodeling and an entire German or Austrian village, frolicking across green, lush land, sprinkled with wildflowers (edelweiss, perhaps?!), under blue, sunny skies -- immediately rushes through my head. It is brisk, like fresh, mountain air but amazingly unlike floor cleaner or overwhelmed by any one of the usually loud, competing notes of pine and citrus. "4711" smells like a true, apothecary fougere; all smooth ferns, greens and sweet, distilled citrus and sage, sprinkled with spice, woodsy, as if cured in an oak cask. "4711" manages to smell warm and cool, at the same time, like a bracing rush of mountain air mixed with warm, radiating embers in a fireplace.

My American grandfather, of whom had two genuine, German immigrant parents, used to wear this, as well as -- on occasion -- my grandmother. I think that means I will need to wear this for Christmas, this year...

Errol the Flynn
Errol the Flynn

I do love the smell of this cologne and can still be bought in an old style glass bottle. The fragrance is a citrus rush that really does make you feel like life is worth living after a Monday morning shave before work. The smell is great..... the bottle is great...the price is great......but unfortunately this wonderful scent has the staying power of around 10-15 minutes on me and then it's gone? So by the time you've had your toast and are leaving for the office the scent is barely there. Wish 4711 makers would make this juice much stronger ...it really is only for a quick splash pick me up!!

Raider101
Raider101

4711 Original is a barber-shop citrus rush! It offers its wearer a Clinique "Happy"-esque emotional lift, while being quite comforting at the same time. Crisp and clean, this fragrance dries quickly, then disappears in a light musk resonation. I recommend this scent after a warm bath, first thing in the morning, and/or while relaxing by the pool. Better still, as a history instructor, I appreciate its long-standing and well-weathered past. Thank you!

anna.dkr5

I've found it today, and bought the 100 ml splash bottle (they didn't have a spray one). I love it! It's very similar to Acqua di Parma Colonia. It's incredibly short-lived, but Oh So Good! Inexpensive, too! :)

crikarlshamn
crikarlshamn

4711 still use the essential oils, it is a healing scent as well as being very pleasantto wear.

Text from their website:

Ingredients and Effects

The precious ingredients are carefully harmonised.

Bergamot, lemon, and orange provide a uniquely revitalising effect.

Lavender and rosemary have a calming and relaxing effect, strengthening the nerves.

Neroli, extracted from the blossom of the bitter orange, has a calming effect in the base note, creating a positive mood.

JFrags

I get a big hint of lily when I wear this.
I was thinking this was more citrus chyrpe by its description but for me this does not apply at all, it's more woody, light peppery scent

It's not a bad thing, almost soothing; I was looking forward to citrus but it was just mostly lily. Maybe from my body chemistry? Pretty floral on me so that is pretty surprising.

on one occasion early in the morning I decided to spritz it on myself and I get a sweet citrusy fizzy like 7up; so this was the first time I get a big floral hint; it is also a bit on the herbal side so it smells almost medicinal.
but after doing some hard dirty work where I touch chemicals I spritz it on my wrist smells like hemp. it might be because throughout the day or the blending of smells but I got hemp which was kind of strange (maybe my neighbor is smokin' up)

Does not last long, it's not cloying on my skin; its suitable for neutral scents I believe I'll wear this on a business function rather than my go to signature.

you can bet it's ephemeral. If you don't like it you'll rejoice it only lasts about a good 1 1/2 hour.

anna.dkr5

It smells really close to Acqua di Parma Colonia, but this one's much cheaper! I'm definitely going to buy a bottle of 4711 once I've run out of AdP.

cytherian
cytherian

UPDATE:
I got my hands on a vintage bottle! I'd been reading up on the woes some people had about the reformulation that seems to have happened prior to the early 1980's. The bottle I got seems to be from the 70's, maybe even earlier. There is no doubt it is the earlier formulation by sight, as it has a yellowish color in contrast to the nearly colorless modern version. Any difference? Yes. From what I've heard, the ingredients order used to start with "water, alcohol" (no label to indicate this on the bottle or packaging), and I agree. There is less of an alcohol essence. It's a little more concentrated at first, but sillage seems to trail off faster. I'm more accustomed to the new version. I do appreciate both, but I'd rather liberally splash on the modern incarnation and not worry about using up something that is fast becoming harder to locate. I may just end up selling it to someone who can't do without the original.
____________________________________________________

When I was living in Germany back in the late 1980's, my landlords gave me a medium sized bottle of 4711 for Christmas. The bottle looked so dated and antique like. I wasn't a really big fragrance kind of guy back then, but I endeavored to give the 4711 a try. I really liked it! Very nice and clean lemony-citrus fragrance. I was amazed at how refreshing it was to splash on right after a shave.

When I came back to the USA, I was grateful to find that 4711 is widely imported. No worry about shortage.

I can't imagine not using this EdT. I bought an enormous bottle and then filled my smaller bottles with it for ease of use. Whenever I'm done shaving, often I splash this on. Sometimes I put it on before shaving, just to give my face a little pre-conditioning.

It is true that it evaporates fairly quick. I'd say it doesn't last more than 2-3 hours, if that. But the intention isn't to linger. It's to freshen and subside. And what's great is that you can splash on another cologne to replace it and not worry about a fragrance clash.

Definitely UNISEX. Smells great on both men and women, even kids. ;-)
8.8/10 for fragrance, 5.5/10 for longevity, 9.1/10 for value.

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

I have worn this for years in terms of fresh clean citrus I don't think you can do much better. Uplifting, fresh but does not last very long. Subtle, summery and clean. Affordable unisex and a good reference fragrance. On days where I want comfort not attention I opt for this.

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

This is my go-to everyday during hot and humid spells. Does it last? No, not for long. Is it a great pick-me-up? Yes, it is. I carry a bottle with me and spray it on during the day. Completely office-friendly, and euphoric and refreshing.

I still have some tiny little bottles purchased in Cologne, Germany, in 1978 and those still smell great! (So cute, too!) This one will always be in the house.

wildcardgal
wildcardgal

My personal favorite scent, the first 'perfume' I was ever given and also by chance a favorite of my husband because he remembers his Grandfather scenting pocket hankerchiefs with it. It has a bright citrus/bergamot opening note that fades swiftly to a light warm floral and then more slowly to a cedary note. As others point out, it doesn't last long but it's also light enough to be more socially acceptable in any environment where a 'cologne zone' is not desireable.

Deefit
Deefit

The opening somehow reminded me of Acqua di Parma's Colonia, but that faded after about 5-10 minutes. So I was happy at first, I thought I could get that nice smell for a really cheap price. But no sir, the heart notes reveiled something else. I finally understood what my father talked about all these years. He always called 4711 "old lady's smell". Not because it smells dated, because it doesn't. But because it reminded him (and me as well) of a lot of elderly people wearing this.

Now the opening was very nice, but I prefer the aromatic vibe in the heart of Acqua di Parma. 4711 also has very weak projection and it was pretty much gone after an hour. Perhaps if it had more sillage and better longevity, it could've been worth buying a small bottle just for freshening up.

Still, I'm glad I've finally tried the (in)famous 4711 Original. I now know it is not for me and I will stick to the classic Acqua di Parma for now.

RullyPe
RullyPe

reminds me of my childhood, I saw many people use this fragrance to avoid travel sickness including my grandma

RubyRedRabbit
RubyRedRabbit

I really liked this, I actually bought my bottle from the actual location in Cologne itself. What's really cool about the shop is that they have a fountain of 4711 in the corner you can splash yourself with.. Well they did in 2004.
I found lovely and fresh.

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

I love this. One of the very first fragrances I experienced in my life (next to vintage Chanel No22). This little timeless beauty shaped my future taste in perfume - cotton-like, cologne, citrus, soapy, green clean scents are truly my favourites.
My father had a bottle and he would spray it on a hankerchief which then he folded and put in his shirt's front pocket.
It is SO uplifting, very clean, I spray it on my linen, hand wash and my clothes - whenever I need to freshen up. I love the body spray and layering this cologne with other citrus scents like Ninfeo Mio, O de Lancome, Versense or Vetyverio. It's amazing with any Acqua di Parma.
I find it very similar to Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino, however I get more complexity (coming from various aromatics and oakmoss) (!) from the much cheaper 4711.
Timeless and wonderful!

Brain-in-a-vat
Brain-in-a-vat

Timeless quality. Fresh as a forest in the breeze and uplifting to use. 10/10. Been around since 1800's and will be around for centuries more, I venture. Doesn't last long, but then another splash is always a pleasure and continues the great karma! Strangely,... it's masculine on men and feminine on women.

nero77
nero77

Great fragrance. Also coincidentally a favorite of my German grandmother! This is a bright, fresh lemony cologne which can be sprayed throughout the day. It is incredibly refreshing and inoffensive. You can never put too much of this because it is always in a weak concentration (EDC), and the idea of re-applying throughout the day is fine as it doesn't really last very long.

But, it IS undoubtedly a classic! It is THE (original) cologne as it has been produced in the city of Cologne in Germany for over 200 years! Well worth it... just be prepared to apply throughout the day, and it's almost guaranteed to make anyone feel refreshed and happy every time. Amazing!

Redbeard
Redbeard

Truly a heavenly drydown, but it's so dilute that I tend to approach it as a linen spray or room spray...too bad that I got a splash bottle by accident. Plus it's one of the few unisex-marketed scents that really feels unisex to me. It's surprising how much development there is. The top is sharp and bracing with some nice lavender, and then the middle is jagged lemon peels (which I could live without), but given time it dries down to lovely quiet florals (violet among others?). It's as if someone 200 years ago had presaged the trend toward the "clean laundry" or "shower fresh" scents we see today, so it's surprisingly relevant in spite of its age. Naturally I had to splash some on my sheets before going to bed one night, and the smell was very soothing. Unfortunately, even though a lot more came out than I expected, leaving quite a path of destruction under my back and into my PJs, I could only smell it when I fanned the sheets or turned over. So I don't rotate it as a daily scent (tentatively I'd replace it with Roger and Gallet Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle), but I'm still intent on future sheet and pillow experiments. Just put in on cloth instead of skin and it won't vanish right away.

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

Bought the 90ml EDC Spray and I cannot believe how it smells so similar to TF Neroli Portofino. I have sprayed each one on either hand and they smell very alike. Clean, fresh and perfect for summer. Once my TF Neroli Portofino runs out I will only be replacing it with this. I mean even the same colour blue/gold on both boxes.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

People say eau-de-grandma as if it's a bad thing. For me, 4711 is quite literally eau-de-grandma -- this was my grandma's everyday scent. And it's not a bad thing at all.

Just because of who my grandma was, I'm predisposed to love the scents associated with her -- provided they're not downright horrid. And 4711 is far, far, far from horrid. It's a pleasantly peppery citrus with gentle woody undertones and just the right amount of sweetness.

I usually prefer to wear deeper, longer-lasting fragrances, but a splash of this stuff makes an excellent pick-me-up. I can understand why this formula has lasted for over 200 years.

Mr.noise
Mr.noise

the good old and old days... 5/5 for the memories. 4/5 for the fragrance

MsDana
MsDana

Ah, the original formula, this is what my grandfather wore, and probably his father before him. I remember just melting while sitting on his lap smelling this wonderful fragrance. Everyone should have some of the classics as well as new fragrances in their collection IMO, and you don't get much more classic than this. I have found it on The Vermont Country Store Web site & plan on purchasing in the near future.

Update: I purchased it, & it is as wonderful as I remember, I like to put a bit on my sheets & clothes before bed, it is so comforting to me.

markino
markino

I ve got an old 300 ml bottle which i just purchased. It still smell as new. I love it due its simplicity , cleanness and freshness. It s like an aromatherapy treat. It simply lifts my mood. I use it as an all over body refreshing fragrance. Timeless!!!

2nd review:

This classic in my closet since so many years never stops to impress me.
Now the weather is hot and humid this great cologne comes helping my poor head.
Whenever I get headache I smell it and spray it around and dab a little bit on my forehead.
It gives relief.
You can spray it on a fan and turn it on!
Does anyone knows if the change of brandname affected the new version? Is it the same as usual?
I still have the Muelens bottle. It's so big!
I decant a smaller amount in a little round bottle of the same cologne and carry around.
To be honest, I don't believe that 4711 is exactly the same as it was 2 centuries ago!
I can smell something very synthetical in the drydown but I like it!
On my skin, after the initial citrus and neroli blast, it becomes both herbal and sweet, almost vanilla-like. This must be an effect of synthetical fixative.
Having a small decant of Hermes Jour d'Hermes, I noticed that they are very close scents!
Not the same, with JdH being waaays more intense and radiant, still they share that sense of well-being of "vanillic herbs" (if it makes sense, LOL)
Have a warm shower (better if you use their soap)and wear this glorious cologne afterwards: clean and fresh and even refined!

For daytime, it's often all you need to be fragrant, but I don't suggest to go right out in the sun wearing perfume. This is not a sun-proof beach fragrance and citrus is awful for sun stains!

x-lydia
x-lydia

4711 is so classic. One reason is that it is balanced perfectly. It's citrusy without being either a rough catch-in-the-back-of-the-throat Men's Scent nor a lollipop-sweet fruity-floral Ladies' Scent. 4711 is for everybody. It's clean and green and very pleasant on a hot summer day.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

4711 is transient. In hot days, I spray it generously all over to replenish myself. Sorta like some people spray toner on their face.

delara
delara

simply great !

umtaleb
umtaleb

@wesclark

The use of Eau de Cologne is a fairly European ritual that predates the Diet Coke; an American alternative.

The idea that refreshment does not always involve ingestion is appealing.

A refreshing splash of scent after a hot shower, a walk through a bustling market, or a visit to the WC.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

A rapidly evaporating citrus; I don't even get a half hour on my skin. I like it but I haven't bought any because I wonder what the point is. When I want to be refreshed I open a can of Diet Coke and lay under a ceiling fan - I'm positive that works better than splashing my face with smelly water and trying to psych myself out that I feel cooler.

----------

Bought a bottle anyway. It's not pricey at all and smells great for summer. Besides - I need more summer scents. And I just like the idea of having something formulated in 1792, okay?

RobbieX
RobbieX

Unisex - A lovely fresh, light lemony "proper" cologne. Doesn't last too long though. Love it if they brought out an "intense" version because the scent is really great - dab in on your forehead and back of neck when you're hot. 4711 is an iconic scent.

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

This starts up a little bitter and pungent but don't let it scare you. Seconds later a beautiful juicy citrus appears, dancing into the air with its freshness. It is mildly sweet and has strong powdery, herbaceous, woody undertones. Slightly astringent too that gives an impression of a medicinal scent.

This bottle has been in my family for as long as I can remember. Although my (non-German) grandmother preferred the 4711 Ice Cologne (which isn't listed here), 4711 has always been around for the following uses: headache reliever (douse a hankerchief with it and breathe in, or pour it in hot water and breathe in), hair massage (seriously, just rub it in your hair for some crazy warm feeling) and just plainly there for us to praise it (hah, I kid.)

This doesn't last long on skin, but if you sprayed your clothes with it the scent should linger for an hour or two.

Honestly, I didn't see this as perfume, but some sort of medicine in my family. But hey, since I'm on fragrantica I might as well try to savour its perfume qualities.

P.S: To prolong its longevity I layer it with Naruko's Celestial White Moss eau de toilette (not on fragrantica, unfortunately) and they pair really well together.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

Amazing piece of history :)Childhood memories of my father & mother using it all the time and me playing with it ;) ...Wish I could find it again ..We have a similar product in Egypt , it's a "cult" Eau de Cologne as well from Chabrawichi perfumery ..and almost every house here have a bottle of it for the whole family .I have many uses for it cleaning ears , soaking a big piece of cotton of it and wiping it on the neck & back for refreshing in Summer or when having a fever ..It's really versatile and could be used for MANY things .

calyx93
calyx93

I buy this in the enormous bottle every summer and keep it in my refrigerator. It's my go-to "air conditioning in a bottle" elixir - splashed on when it's super cold is amazing and so refreshing.

Lately I've been adding a couple drops of Exaltolide (cyclopentadecanolide - a particular synthetic musk) and diluted civet to my bottles to add a touch more depth and longevity. It really works to help extend the top and mid notes a good deal longer and helps exalt the floral notes to a lovely effect.

A touch of neroli oil gives it a lift too - and with 4711 being as cheap as it is, I don't feel bad experimenting a bit. I've often thought it would be wonderful if Maurer & Wirtz would release a "special edition" version with higher amounts of high-quality naturals to it - sort of a special reserve version for those who would like a higher quality option.

Berlynn
Berlynn

very fresh and soft, however on my skin it smells a bit like cleaner at first but dries into something deeper after a few minutes. Nice in warmer weather.

thatsperf
thatsperf

This scent to me embodies 'happiness'. It's my favourite scent of all-time. I can imagine being in the woods in the summer lying on damp grass and smelling moss on rocks near a waterfall. A unique scent that does not cost the Earth. I can smell the lemons in 4711 but I also managed to pick up notes of jasmine and lime...or is it just me? Overall an iconic scent that can perk you up without being overbearing.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

i got to test a vintage bottle today by chance and wow, this is lemons, lemons and more lemons. I am not sure if this is for me. However having been in the market for many years, i do respect the zzazazziiing citrus notes of this clean scent. i have to agree this doesnt last very long... about 1 hour and its gone fro. my skin.

wingsofcindy

I've loved it since I was a young girl - it is so fresh and youthful, but doesn't smell out of place on anyone. A friend of mine uses it as an aftershave, and I use it on a hot day to cool off - I keep a bottle in the refrigerator! 4711 eau de cologne was the first registered fragrance, and I think it's incredible that it has stood the test of time and still appeals to so many. It uplifts my mood, then it fades away. It never gets a stale smell because it doesn't hang around long enough - perhaps that's one of the reasons we all love it so much...

andreas73
andreas73

Citrus, herbal, woody and very fresh, this is a great fragrance to wear right after having a shower on a very hot summer day. It is a "childhood memories" type of scent for me, as it is also for most of its admirers.
For those expecting longevity, I would recommend to try some of the similar perfumes above suggested by Fragrantica's users: this one fades away completely in less than 30 minutes. I use it only as a mood enhancer or as a refresher, and 4711 does its work well.
Even though it is more than 200 years old, and despite of the many comments about the "grandma scent", I don't think it is outdated at all.

kerini
kerini

Citrusy, clean and fresh.
I do own a bottle purely for nostalgic reasons, it instantly evokes scent memories.
That however is the only use I get out of it since it has no lasting power at all, after only 10-30 minutes it's gone.

pbluberry
pbluberry

Nice, clean, and fresh. I like to spray this after a shower before bed time. It's very relaxing and natural smelling. Everyone should smell like this naturally. It's not pretentious, it's really good... and reconizable.

I love all of Hermes Colognes but there will always be a place in my heart for 4711. Nothing can replace it.... not even Hermes. There is definitely something about this that I love and you can't beat the price.

Venus193
Venus193

This fragrance was worn by most of my maternal relatives and it smelled good on all of them. Some sources say it was Napoleon's favorite and I can believe that; it's so fresh and uplifting without being cold. It's like a spring day and a Strauss waltz in the park. The matching bath soap is creamy without leaving residue on one's skin.

willbear
willbear

love this very fresh nice in the summer

jeannieby
jeannieby

My husband Jim and I both wear 4711 and LOVE it!
I don't know when Jim first started wearing it, but my first experience with 4711 was when I was traveling with my family. We actually were lucky enough to be visiting Cologne, Germany. My father had been stationed off and on in Germany throughout the entire of WWII. He was a foreward observer for the 9th Infantry Division.
In the 1960's he had a desire to retrace his Army path. He brought my mother, my older sister and me over to Europe along with him!
It was very exciting to see the wonderful countries, one of which was Germany. By 1962 many things had changed of course, but he actually reunited with a very sweet innkeeper who had put up many of the American soldiers in her inn in Weisbaden. She remembered him, although he was only 19 when he first fought over in Germany.

Anyway, in Cologne, my family bought many little bottles of 4711 for our friends back in NY as souveniers, because it was still a big deal to travel to Europe at the time!
People had sent us off with little gifts, so we brought them back little gifts!

I have loved 4711 ever since.

My husband and I own the BIG bottle. :)

Admittedly, it is true that it is not a terribly long lasting fragrance, but if you want a wake up call to stop daydreaming and get into enjoying your day, the original version of 4711 is the splash that will do it for you!
I love to use it recklessly and all over. It is just so incredibly invigoratiing and fresh smelling.

I cannot imagine anyone not loving 4711!
You can wear it summer or winter, and my husband and I DO!
In fact, we actually feel more attached and loving toward each other when we are both wearing it at the same time. Team 4711! That is who we are ;)!

I cannot recommend this fragrance more highly. It is a completely delightful and light smelling citrus-y scent. It is clear that it is obviously beloved the world over -- it's been around for over 200 years!
Now that's stupendous!
Thank you for reading this! jean

ajdowton
ajdowton

This is one of those that, for me at least, embodies the nostalgic properties certain fragrances have. The effect is specific to the individual (you need only see the wide range of feelings about this fragrance in the reviews), and in some cases, profound.

For me it conjures up a wonderful memory of my father saying his goodbye in the morning when I was a child. He would shave and splash a handful of 4711 on his face and chest before getting dressed for work. I remember the smell, the way his skin felt against mine when he bent down to kiss me on the forehead, and since then it has been cemented in my scent memory as the way a man should smell on his way to work.

When I was older my father bought me a small bottle of 4711, passing along the tradition so to speak. It sat on my bookshelf untouched until I rediscovered it years later. More of a splash than a cologne, it's part of my daily post-depilatory ritual and lasts no longer than twenty minutes or so on my skin. The refreshing effect however is immediate, like a citrus sunrise to complete my morning ritual, and I love the feeling the pores on my face tightening up.

babel
babel

I grew up with this, liberally used as a ... hand cleaner, a refresher. My dad slapped it on his freshly shaven cheeks. My mom splashed it on her hands and neck. We, the kids, dipped in it the comb we combed our hair. I love the lemony scent. It conjures up the memory of the citrus tree outside my bedroom window bursting with robust buds. I have to have it. Always. Available. Within reach.

But I don't think of it as "perfume".

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

It smells like you squeezed a lemon and added green notes and musk.
Very soft and fragile.
I wish that it would last.

IT DOESN'T STINK AT ALL. I don't know why people are dissin' it.

Besides, Frank-N-Furter had 4711 written on his thigh.

littleibu
littleibu

This is my grandma's favourite perfume. The fragrance smells fresh in hot humid Indonesia.... This perfume always brings back my memory of my late grandma. I like it.

Arkira M.
Arkira M.

I won't say how the 4711 smell but will share another view of mine. Since i was very young & i could remember, my home refrigerator never been out of 4711 original till today. We don't use it as fragrance but for refresh, relax, aromatherapy purposes. We oftenly use a few drops into cotton pad & put it in front of air-con to make the room smell refreshing and i always have 15 ml bottles in my work desk & handbag to take a sniff when I am in the hot day & feel dizzy. We even drop 4711 in the last water when we rub the floor.

4711 is more than fragrance for my family. It's a part of our daily life.

dvbdvb
dvbdvb

Just got this in splash cologne 100ml bottle, alcohol is very strong it dries quickly in my palm. I rub it around my chest, quite relaxing as an aromatherapy after sun exposure. Doesn't stay very long (only there around 30 minutes then it's gone).

The aroma is really refreshing, lemon, citrus and green herbs. Absolutely a must have if u live in an always sunny country or tropical climate. Not for a signature scent but more like a post-sun refreshment.

pacis.animus
pacis.animus

Well I my thoughts are like many here. My Mother grew up in Frankfurt and my Omi was there until 1995 when my Mom brought her over to live in America with her until she passed away. Omi would give me bottles along with my Steif teddy bears and little hankies, I am almost 50 now. The smell always brings back the very best of memories. I keep a bottle in the fridge!

bartoagung
bartoagung

i used to be a hotel receptionist couple years ago, and for great service we often give the incoming guest a welcome drink and a cold towel for their refreshment (its hot here in Jakarta, Indonesia so we provide that)

It was a hit especially the cold towel, we always prepared the cold towels with some splash of this cologne onto it and chilled for some moments and then served..

if you want to treat your guest just like in the resort and if you have a hotel as well, served this cold towels with a splash of this 4711, it would be a hit!

Brainiac369
Brainiac369

I enjoyed using this light, refreshing Cologne very much. because it is also short-lived, I use it as an aftershave, to help me start my day. As well, it does conflict appreciably with other scents I wear.

i might like this on a man, but i didn't like it on me. this isn't clean, fresh citrus. this is pungeant and sharp hairy smelling lemons and herbs and other fruits that have been picked too soon (green). i get nearly no floral notes which may be a plus because mixed with all these other jumble of ingredients it might make it smell even worse. it may be a classic and i'll respect that, but i will take jean nate' anytime over this.

Scarlette
Scarlette

I dislike this perfume. Huge.

My very German, very cold, very "Don't touch me unless you have washed your hands!", & "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" Grandmother, who never liked children and made it very clear, wore this.

Horrible, cold, strong, antiseptic, farthest-thing-from sexy smell I have ever encountered.

I do realize that I might have a TOTALLY different perspective on 4711, and ALL citrus/strong/clean scents, if it were not for this association, I may like even ONE of this fragrance type....sorry to all lovers.....

I LOVE how boardbat says it smells like "hairy lemons", and that is SO TRUE!!! Jean Nate is cleaner and sweeter, so I hate it less.

UD: I think this might be fantastic on a man though....this is not a woman's scent in any way, but once I smell it and think of it on a man, it smells much better...

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

I remember this scent as a child and I think one of my grandmother's used it. I still find it attractive and cooling on the skin and rather than a perfume I have used it as a cooling aid in hot weather when in living in south africa. I even put it in the fridge!!. Although I now live in new zealand and find it too cold, I still have a fondness for it.

Okay, so now I finally know what German grandmothers and grandfathers smell like! I felt that I could not continue on in this state of ignorance any longer, at least not while claiming to be a respectable member of a Germany-based fragrance community, so I took the plunge on a bottle of 4711 at one of the discount emporia. They sent me a 10oz glass jug of the stuff for $12, shipping included.

Upon its arrival, I noticed that the label was scratched and the cap slightly dented, which led me to believe that the bottle might be old. On the other hand, old bottles from discounters sometimes mean "not reformulated," which is generally a good thing.

So anyway, I splashed some on and immediately decided that it was drugstore quality and that I'd be using my large volume as a disinfectant for those increasingly rare occasions when HRH Emperor Oliver has a surge of testosterone and lashes out at me with his claws. Then I just forgot about until today.

I was wearing Lush ORANGE BLOSSOM and figured that it might be nice to give 4711 another try, since it's in the same general olfactory neighborhood, so I decanted some into an atomizer and found that it smells nicer sprayed on than splashed. However, there is still a residual dirty note which makes this particular cologne smell not that appealing to my nose. Perhaps the oak moss? Or the lily?

It's okay though, and I don't begrudge German grandmothers and grandfathers for wearing 4711! I do understand, however, why sophisticated German perfumistas are not all that enthusiastic about this cologne. It could get old fast, if one smelled it everywhere one went!

I'll keep wearing my Berdoues 1902 and Gandini 1896 colognes for the purpose of beating the heat this summer. Must have been a good decade!

SundayMorning
SundayMorning

Im under the age 30, and this was the first perfume i ever ever ever got, probably from my aunt, i was 7 years old and i think i got it just because she thought i wouldn´t like it = never use it, just look at the bottle(imagine trying This one before even knowing that *Exclamation` existed(!))

It was so cool.
I remember thinking; sour, fresh, ladylike and very exclusive ;)

Its a keeper, if so only for the memory of luxury, he he.

Blissful80
Blissful80

Sorry, but I smelled this before and it smelled really really old smelling. Just my opinion...To me it smelled like old out dated after shave or womens Cologne that you might find in an old attic or something. Enjoy to those that don't feel the same as I do. :/

QuiltFinger
QuiltFinger

So after reading all the reviews and craving a crisp unisex fragrance that both my husband and I could share, I snatched up a bottle of this 4711 classic. I'm just enthralled by the light and airy florals. I sense quite a bit of jasmine, lily and cyclamen coming through, which I thought was unsual for a so-called men's fragrance. It reminds me of going to my mom's work and sniffing the gardenia flowers. I swear I smelled them so strongly that I inhaled all of the fragrance until none was left on the plant. I'm not getting a lot of citrus, but my husband says he thought it smelled very spicy. Could be the vetiver or patchouli coming through to his nose. Staying power seems to be weak. One hour later only a faint trace of the fragrance remains, but it's cheap enough that reapplying frequently is fine. Very happy overall.

vonwinklestine
vonwinklestine

Wow it's very old! surely the formula has changed since 1792?

pinkmuzic

and this is a fragrance i will buy for the rest on my life ... i mean it! so citrucy ! so fresh! and always this haaaaaa! feeling good when i smell this one it's absolutely a keeper :) 4 EVER

pinkmuzic

THIS MIGHT SOUND funny but my mother in law used this all the time & i bought a bttle of this for me & end up giving up to my boyfriend

Ailish Aoibheann
Ailish Aoibheann

Its the favorite parfum of my mother but for me it smells to intense!

fishmerised
fishmerised

I never tire of this cologne, it was the first sent I fell in love with as a child of the 60's. I thought it was heaven on a stick back then, it still is in a way. Other neroli-ish colognes just remind me of 4711, nothing beats the original.

If you're running out the door on a hot, sticky day this is the best pick-me-up, only trouble is it doesn't last so you need to drown yourself in it.

elisabethgenest
elisabethgenest

I bought this on my last trip to Germany. My sister had previously bought it in Canada, but I never thought much of it untill I actually tried it on.

Now, I am hocked on this classic german fragrance. I wear it at night and in the day time. I love that It's not sweet, it's not strong, it smells like lavender and citrus.

Honestly Thumbs up to the germans for inventing this !! It is now my ultimate go to scent :)

wbp
wbp

what a wonderful surprise! So light and pleasure! nice for the summer!

Bettany87
Bettany87

I received mine today from my brother in Germany. Along with this fragrance, he introduced me to the history of this cologne which was quite fascinating. I love the simplicity and crispness of this scent. The notes are blended so well together it is just pure and fresh ... perfect on a warm day or after a work-out. There are so many clean and soapy fragrances out there but I just love this classic one. Lasting power is weak but I can spray this on me over and over and it will always be appealing to my senses.

yume9
yume9

I get a huge and juicy neroli here, and it's strange it's not even listed. Also citruses, of course, and sometimes a light, even translucent sandalwood. Love it, and it also always helps me to fight the nausea. Clean, zesty, classic.

nananessa
nananessa

I started wearing this fragrance back in the 60s & 70s, my teens & early 20s. Just even the picture of this bottle brings back so many memories...

The fresh, lemony-citrusy fragrance is especially refreshing in these hot, humid days of summertime in the coastal SE GA. I tried Jean Nate back then & didn't like it as much as 4711. I wore it so very much back then.

It does have a sort of masculine element to it but I like most unisex fragrances.

Remember I had to reapply it often because it didn't last as long on me as I like. I have a tendency to really lay my fragrances on heavily & this was one that I just always had to dowse myself with it. I went through a lot of bottles when I was young.

I haven't seen this one in a long time but it would be worth it to me to get one for my collection-if for nothing else than the sentimental factor.

I used to use Skinny Dip, Love's Lemon, & this one is similar, just a little more masculine.

LANIER
LANIER

From a historical point of view and if you are a collector it is a must have. But for me it is pretty straight forward. Not complex at all on my skin. Just sits there smelling of citrus. But it is very nice for an after shower splash.

jade pavilion
jade pavilion

Believe it or not i get to know 4711 from a book that told about heritage that i bought few days ago.I just got this today after i run around town that many shop not available.At least 6 shop i was asking and finally in a chinese medical hall the uncle told me there a shop in town that sell it,i drove straight to the shop and get 2 bottle of 100 ml,the bottle was very classic look (cutglass pattern)fresh smell and very cooling when applied to the skin but not lasting the fragrance.It can be say just very little fragrance that linger after.Good for sunny hot day with a few dab to chill out. :)

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

My great-grandmother used this. When I was small and sat on her lap, she would smell of this. I always have a bottle. A crispy clean citrus smell with a punch, it wakes you up!
But it is also wonderful in the summer when it's too hot. I have it in the dashboard of my car, on long journeys I adore using it; a dab on the temples and wrists and one feels a bit picked-up. Great memories and useful too.

adygrosch
adygrosch

When I am with headcahe and tense I smell a little this and hava a massage....I didn´t need any pill...wonderful!!

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

I love this classic scent! I bought it on sale at Perfumania at the Seattle Premium outlets...but love it as it smells like my favorite fragrence of all time ... Acqua Di Parma. Only thing is.... this is far more affordable. Has a classic citrus barbershop smell to it!!! Perfect for wear in warm / hot weather.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Great memories of my grandpa, he did this in his handkerchief in his pocket, so he sprayed it in the cotton letting it linger.
Always when he pulled out his handkerchief i smelled it!
lemon,fresh,peacefull, i would buy it only for this memorie or to refresh my nose.
Its indeed the best scent to wear if your working in a hospital!
Its history in a bottle for sure, dont expect to smell the exotics in it like lemon n peach its in it... but dont expect it!

stinkerweed
stinkerweed

New to the site, first review. Sorry it is not positive about this fragrance. Before trying a new scent I come here first.

It is not unusual for fragrances to sour on my skin, and this one turned on me, becoming quite "medicinal." I wanted to like it, if only for the history and bottle. It wasn't to be. I kept the bottle around (a quaint looking decoration) and tried it several times, but only for the same result.

pob75
pob75

I bought this out of curiosity for a scent that has been around for centuries.

This is very lemony and quite refreshing initially. It very quickly dries down to what I think of as a stereotypical old granny smell - a very clean, gentle, lovely, pleasant smelling granny, but not something I ever want to smell of.
Very poor longevity. Very poor projection. You'd have to spray this hourly to get a constant scent from it.

The only use for this I can see is as a short-lived, inoffensive freshen up spray for summer if you are female and 50+.
And if you are under the age of 60 or male a far nicer freshen up spray is Muelhens 4711 Ice Cool - it smells unisex, gentle and inoffensive, fresher and younger, has a crisper scent and lasts a bit longer.

I won't be buying this again - no use for it. Any use I might have had is much better served by Muelhens 4711 Ice Cool.

dasa
dasa

I normally would'nt buy this, but I got it for like 2 Euro for 100 ml. Plain citrusy smell, very refreshing but lasts for about 20 minutes or so. I decided to use it as an after shave on summer days when I dont plan on wearing any other perfume.

riddler
riddler

Refrescante aroma cítrico pero de muy corta duración y proyección débil,para uso diario no espectacular ni deja gran recuerdo un aroma que se desvanece en minutos de la piel.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Smells like gin & tonic with a slice of lemon. Vanishes as quick too.

johngreenink
johngreenink

Very happy juice :-) This is such a light and brisk lemony scent, I think hardly anyone would mind having this fresh Eau de Cologne scent surrounding them. It reminds me very much of the lemon-flower water that's used in Turkish restaurants for hand-washing and also for scenting homes, with just a bit more 'kick'. It smells much more expensive than it actually is, so you really can't go wrong purchasing this.

I plan to keep my spray bottle in the car, to have around as a pick-me-up after a long day or after a long drive. Highly recommended for anyone, young or old.

daliflora
daliflora

Citric,smells like an old chemist's shop (to my modern nose, at least). But on the whole uplifting and quiet, good for peaceful afternoons, when you feel a bit drowsy and headachy.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

My mum grew up in Germany, near the Black Forest, and moved to England in her early 20's. Her mother remained in Germany as did most of her family. In her 40's mum met my dad and my sister and I appeared within a couple of years. We used to get a big parcel of German goodies from my German grandma every Christmas which was so exciting for me and my sister, despite there often being massive knickers in there which mum made us wear when the weather was chilly! There were lovely things too though, like a wooden pipe smoking Santa Claus (to get him to smoke we'd put a little cone thingy inside him and light it and then pine scented smoke would waft out of his pipe!), and yummy Pfefferkuchen. Sometimes there was 4711 in the parcels and mum always had a bottle of it too so I grew up smelling and using this refreshing cologne. It's refreshing and invigorating and ideal for wearing in hot weather, and when travelling, to feel fresh and cool. It's lovely!! :-))

mystica
mystica

I would buy this even just for the sake of the vintage looking bottle! This is a fresh splash, not a perfume. You can use it to refresh yourself anytime, anywhere, and in any amount. It wakes you up and makes you feel better when you feel like fainting out of boredom while working etc. Indeed it controls a panic attack before it starts. Inhaling the sharp, citrusy, alcoholic 4711 gives an immediate boost. Don't try to taste it though, like sometimes I feel to!

JLB
JLB

This is one fragrance I have never been without since 1975. Always get a new one before the old one runs out. These days I look for the 800 ml bottle at airports so that I can share it with my son and son in law. They get refills into their bottles and I keep the big one!

jilli
jilli

My mother had this bottle sitting on her dresser, next to her silver brush set. I remember the intricate label and that she would wear it out for dinners out with my father.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

i've always been a fan of these sorts of light, citrusy, clean scents. i picked up a bottle of this while collecting some of the "old school" scents i wanted to check out (and obviously 4711 qualifies as old-school!).

my first reaction was "ah - now i understand where all these other scents come from!".

i've worn it a few times now and i've gone from "like" to "love" with it. part of that is simply the tremendous respect i have for its longevity and for all that it inspired. there's something calming about the scent (for me at least) as well - last night i hit a spritz of it as i went to bed! it does leave something to be desired in the longevity department - i get maybe three hours out of each application.

IMHO, you owe it to yourself to try 4711 out - along with other scents that have held up since the 1700s and 1800s - to understand the historical contexts and evolution of modern scents. but i'm a also a type-a, nutcase geek, so feel free to ignore me ;-) ;-) .

berniceadrake
berniceadrake

My husband who was born in Germany bought 4711 for me when we got married in 1976. I loved it both because of its history and also because, without fail, I got rave reviews from the people around me whenever I wore it. Usually, it was something like, "Wow! You smell REALLY Good!" Then, I couldn't find it for years. Just a few years ago, I found it again and bought a large bottle of it. Now, my children and grandchildren seem to love it too; they all ask to use mine. We use it to take away headache and to lift our mood, as well as to smell terrific. Its clean citrus essential oils seem to be something of a panacea.

Update:
For some reason, recently my body chemistry seems to have changed and many fragrances which I loved before now change as soon as they are on my skin. Unfortunately my much loved 4711 is now in this category. I suddenly can't stand the smell on me. My 22 year old daughter is delighted because she now has my mostly full large bottle.

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

I find this cologne perfect for using after a post-workout shower. It's refreshing, energizing and clean.

It does open with a somewhat medicinal quality, initially dominated by the basil and citrus notes, but it dries down into a beautifully floral citrus.

The fragrance stays close to the skin, and unfortunately doesn't have great lasting power. On the upside, it's super cheap...so you can spray whenever required without damage to your wallet.

This cologne is a rich part of perfume heritage, but it is a part that is thankfully thriving. A must-try for any age group, men and women.

A definite warm weather scent, 4711 is the perfume equivalent of taking a dip in a cool lake on a hot summer's day.

Simply lovely.

QUEENIE0001
QUEENIE0001

my Oma had a bottle of this on her shelf in the bathroom..so many memories. Now I want a bottle and can't find any anywhere. I will have to buy it on the net for sure..

Sixth Scent
Sixth Scent

In about 1970 this was my very first perfume, it was small and came in a roundish glass bottle. I so wish I had kept that bottle! I loved this perfume and am definately going to get myself another bottle just for old times sake.

greystone

This is the best after shower/shave out there.I feel clean,refreshed and ready for the day after splashing this on myself.I love this fragrance.I have nothing bad to say about this scent,it is one of the best buys out there in the world of perfumery.It is always a staple in my collection.I love no.4711.

mymlan
mymlan

I got a 13,5 oz bottle of Muelhens 4711 from my father when I was around twelve years old, and he'd been on a business trip to Germany. I enjoyed it a lot and me and my best friend used to brush it in our hair before going to school. The scent itself is citrusy and fresh but not lemonadey, as it also has a slight herbal/medicinal character. Muelhens claims that it also can be used internally, but there is noting edible or drinkable about this fragrance, so I wouldnt do so. It's a herbal-citrus cologne, fresh and good smelling with aroma terapheutic qualities.

The bottle seemed to be never-ending though and as I grew older and got other more "real" perfumes: Rive Gauche, Ysatis, Givenchy III etc I somehow lost interest for it. During one of my major apartement moves I gave it away to a charity shop. At that time the bottle was at least 2/3 full and seemed to be everlasting. A really bad move. I so wish I still had that big bottle today :-/.

greystone

I love the smell of this cologne and really appreciate the history behind it.For this fragrance to have lasted for over two hundred years,someone must have done something rite.It is a lovely smelling cologne for a man or a woman.I love to use aquatic fragrances for Summer but this is a beautiful and citrusy fresh alternative for hot months or as an after shower or shave splash.

Kione
Kione

Fresh, fresh, fresh! To use litres of it in a heat wave!!

My great aunties signature!

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I don't like the smell, but the history behind the solution is something else.
How many reminissions have I read, on this page, this morning, of your Omas, and the days of Europe when 4711 was a household allrounder.
Some of these stories remind me of my nanna. She passed away when I was 11, she wore an ultrasweet, floral perfume (i dont know which one) whenever we picked her up for a family gathering, one that I'm guessing was saved and favored as she never, in her life, had the disposable income to justify buying a perfume for anything but special days, it would have to be a present.
It won't be in my collection wear, but I could get the smallest bottle at the chemist, which would be the best I could do to own a piece of that history.

chris marg
chris marg

Memories of "Oma" of course and anything German. This fragrance along with an old one called Lavendel were fragrances in my childhood. When I inhale the scent I immediately have these associative memories.
I have a huge vintage bottle and several other Natural Sprays and splash on bottles. I just love the beautiful look fo the bottle for one but the cologne water aside from stimulating nostalgia also has a tonic effect on the emotions. Just breathing in the aroma is uplifting ... so splashing some on can really be a great way to have old fashioned "aromatherapy". It's also great on hot days and it is good for headaches. Not a scent that carries all day but it's still a classic that any true fragrance freak should have in their arsenal.

JohnMc
JohnMc

Saw this in a local charity shop (thrift store) for an affordable price and thought I had to blind buy - just to indulge my curiosity. It is indeed an almost medicinal citrusy/floral blend which is very, very mild in the sillage stakes. It's longevity is similarly short-lived (like a splash lotion), but nonetheless, it is distinctly uplifting and comforting. A great bit of perfume history to add to my humble collection and one that I intend to put in my wash bag the next time I travel.

bluemlein
bluemlein

when i lived in that fair city i used to go sometimes to the fountain outside glockengasse, 4711 to dip something in it - one was supposed to use a handkerchief but other absorbents worked as well - sweathers, shirts, etc. one was not allowed to dip one's empty 4711-litre bottle in it, however. not that some didn't try.

all manner of fancy stories have come up over time about who and how brewed up the formula for 4711, and there are a number of claimants to the "original" eau de cologne. to which cologne's residents say "who cares! it's eau de *cologne* you dummy, cologne! place of the great gothic cathedral, the great dionysus mosaic, the tower that terrified medieval residents, even a subway laid down in soil so sandy it could have made a beach.

which is not to say, however, that they all smell alike. and when one adds to it the dozens of other formulas from the hands of nuns and rococo entrepreneurs and who knows who else, one realizes that eau de cologne is a spectrum, a rather glittering one at that, like a double rainbow arch over niagara falls on a nippy day.

in our time we have done many non-usual things with cologne: used it as a disinfectant of needles, tweezers, splinters in the foot, etc., diluted in water, as an emergency mouthwash when naughtily staying over at someone's flat, even to wash one's hair. this is quite simple: turn your head upside down, brush like the dickens, splash liberally with 4711, massage through the hair and into the scalp and brush, again like a fiend. in no time at all the hairbrush requires cleaning, the natural bristles having adsorbed the dirt etc, the edc has evaporated, leaving a sweet scent, and one's hair has regained at least some of its fluff.

makes it all seem rather eighteenth-century.

if 4711 has been in continuous production for 400 years, give or take the odd year, it is because something about it touches a fibre, deep in one's being, with a soothing and invigorating breath. if that sounds contradictory, it is, like all the best perfume. after about 400 years, what else can be said about it? that i have a litre bottle, a 750mL bottle, a 500 mL bottle that is round, fluted and decorative and all of these contain the same scent, even if they are separated by decades of production, and the original formula that therein is contained is more lasting, more mellow, more appealing, than all the others, johnny-come-latelys who have their own charm but can't touch the first of its type, and still the measure against which all else must be gauged.

(c)2011 daisy morant

malia
malia

I got this one from my 11 year-old daughter for Mother's day. My sweety bought it for me from her saved money because she has rememberd the story i've once told her.. about this really old perfume from Germany that has survived through the centuries. I guess she was impressed as her mummy ;-)
She told me that i really should have this historical fragrance in my collection. Of course now is this bottle just precious to me. About 30 minutes after applying it starts to get delicious on my skin. I understand now why 4711 could make it to the 21th century.

Pink_Ruffles
Pink_Ruffles

This smells like Aloe Vera to me. It's pleasant. I have a ginormous bottle of it. It's light and is good for when you want to smell all-over fresh.

Woodfaery
Woodfaery

I stumbled across this perfume searching for another.
I am overwhelmed....my german grandmother( meine OMA) wore this when I was young. I always wondered where to find this and what the exact name was and I recognized the bottle.
She was a beautiful, tough, kind, amazing woman and I miss her terribly. I will buy this perfume and I will continue to hold on to all her dear memories. Thank you Fragantica! Thank you

larali
larali

Oooh, I love this. When I smelled it at the store yesterday it brought back vivid memories of a summer vacation in Europe when I was a teenager. Except I didn't associate it with old folks... I associated it with the cute guys!

andrevarx
andrevarx

This is the EDC model for all others. It's actually quite simple but good, fresh water input notes with a hint of citrus, sparkling, changes in less than 1 minute to middle notes of lemon pretty cool, very simple mixed with a subtle touch of Rose floral. Base notes of lemon, almost imperceptible very fresh vetyver.

It's actually quite simple, and unisex. It's fragrance for warm climates. Not too long, no more than 3 hours. For all ages. With no other impression than a clean image.

Actually I understand it is the original colony, other fragrances as "Jean Naté" by Revlon or "Agua de Colonia Sanborns" (a brand from Mexico) have a similar structure. Although I must admit that the original really has a flavor "acute". Recommended in case you want a fine aftershave.

Lilski
Lilski

This is the smell of my beloved grandmama, and I salute that.

Fresh, zingy, citrusy - a teeny bit acidic, but it's awesome, totally awesome.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I remember 4711 being around years ago. It was marketed as an after bath splash more so than a perfume. This was when Jean Nate friction pour le bain was a popular item . 4711 is like lemon water to refresh yourself not something that would last for hours. I would imagine that it was popular with the older folks. It was created in 1792 before houses had indoor plumbing with baths and showers. It must have been a pretty good BO cutting body splash to have lasted for two centuries.

timi
timi

I guess I may just be out of context here, but it astounds me as to how this smell is frowned upon by some Europeans who associate it with old ladies. To me, it smells like someone poured a bucket of lemon juice and cold water over my head on a really hot day.

This is one of the scents that is deeply rooted in my memory because of the important people in my life who wore it. If it was good enough for Pop and my older sister, then it's damn good for me.

This scent is like a perfect pick-me-up, and it's my go-to scent whenever I don't feel like bathing in heavy flower and fruit juice all day.

gesch
gesch

This is THE classic european scent - esp. during summer. It's meant to refresh oneself, and during its invention wasn't intended to stay for hrs. More like in the lines of todays spa- and - benessere-scents (like bodyspray maybe?)...
It's kind of sad that in Germany and Italy (don't know other countries well enough) this scent is frowned upon by most of the crowd under 40, but I myself(midtwenties) came to crave this since last summer ;)

It isn't an evergreen and classic for nothing: it is reasonably (low) priced, unisex, fresh but interesting and without the citrus"bite" in the beginning some of the later colognes had, softens and when you already yearn for another refreshment from the heat, you can use it again because it already evaporated ;)

I hate using buslines in IT, but thank god for dignified elder ladies and their 4711 - refreshing themselves right there on the bus and gloryfying those near to them...
Wouldn't wear it during cold month but anybody smelling anytime like that, will never offend anyone!

maggiesmeow
maggiesmeow

I grew up in Germany and yes, the Germans do think it's a cheap "Oma" scent. They forget it's been around for two hundred years. It may not be a sensual cologne but it is refreshing and comfortingly familiar.

greengrl
greengrl

After searching for this for so long I spotted a bottle at Walmart and immediately bought it. I put some on and thought it smelled very familiar, this fragrance must be more common than I thought. I asked the opinion of my co-workers, one hated it and the rest thought it was a simple, clean fragrance. Not too long after I put this on I started sneezing, I had to return it. Its unfortunate because I liked this fragrance. You can really smell the citrus and what I thought was ginger but I see that it is not listed as a note. For those of you familiar with the baby cologne Para mi Bebe, the blue fragrance for boys smells very similar to this.

dollladie

I grew up with this sparkling, refreshing scent. My grandparents were from Barbados, and they coveted it. I know this sounds crazy, but when I was young I was seriously ill one summer with fever (had been bitten by a jelly fish). I remember my grandmother soaking a hanky in 4711, and wiping my brow with it ... broke my fever before we got to the doctor.

Keep some chilled in the refrigerator to splash on for a refreshing treat!

However, that scent, that citrus
heaven ... just love it!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

It makes me grin to think that Germans dismiss 4711 as being "cheap" and "for old people." Really? You guys have obviously never tried Coty Musk.

Coming from an American, this is gorgeous stuff. Simple, clean, light, doesn't interfere with eau de toilettes. One hell of a gorgeous bottle. Makes me want to visit Cologne.

Now the proud owner of a GIGANTIC vintage bottle, like it should have stayed in a perfume museum!!
Great perfume still!!

narcotic
narcotic

My Oma has this scent and I must say that it works well on me, too. Who would have thought?

It's also more intense than most of my scents (my taste is rather inoffensive), so I love layering this with softer florals, strange as that may seen... Just a wonderfully sharp and clean scent, especially for one so old.

Plus, if you wear this in a world full of identikit fruity florals, you'll never smell it on another girl aside from yourself. (don't give away my secret, though; I'm only telling you this because we're friends.)

missan

It is very light and lemony fresh. Doesn´t last that long but it´s really nice to splash on after a shower. Timeless classic.

It seems also one of very few without a lot of chemicals. That is probobly why the little short longevity, but I prefer that.

Barney Stinson
Barney Stinson

Have you ever been to a retirement home? This is the fragrance the old granny uses. The fragrance itself is an eau the cologne from the good old days.

teedee
teedee

one of the most easily recognizable scent for me, partly because grandparents usually own it!
it is refreshing splash of citruses! anytime i'm feeling stuffy and dull, a splash of this classic is guaranteed to lighten things up!

doesnt last very long, but the drydown makes my skin smells like i just finish my bath! fresh & light!

Marisa36
Marisa36

A scent from my childhood that today would not be considered cool at all, but I still love it.

My mother used 4711 for many years. On some days, she would have me go into the store to buy the big bottle. One day, I think I must have been 7 years old, the store owner said I should buy Evangeline eau de cologne, because they were out of 4711. Not knowing any better, I gave the man the money. Even though I was yelled at, my mom never wanted 4711 again. Evangeline has been her favorite for the last 25 years!

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

I've loved this one for as long as I can remember. It has been one of those scents that comes back to me again and again. Just bought a great big bottle over the holidays. Reminds me of Aqua di Parma Colonia, only I like 4711 better. Now that I just read Isabel Toledo wears it, I know I'm in good company in this club. I love the adrogenous quality to it. It's very light, clean, and soft. I love to splash it on after a shower during the summer months. I would definitely want my man to wear this one, too. We could share it, Ahhhhh.

guest_J.H.
guest_J.H.

To me this is a timeless classic, even for men. I use the original cologne as an aftershave and a refreshment during the day. It's not meant to be a lasting perfume. Love it.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I owned this scent long ago. I put it in my "Dislike" column at first, because it never made any impression on me. Today, thirty years later, I tried it again. Well! It's not bad at all! Citrus-y, and floral. Not offensive in the least. I can see why it didn't seem memorable: it was on and then -- poof! -- gone in a matter of minutes. Light? I'll say! The bottle isn't particularly attractive, either. But I've moved it, nonetheless, to my "Like" column. It would make a great splash for summer.

MoietToi
MoietToi

I was given this cologne as a gift from my Grandmother. I don't know how define it because the opening is extremely citrusy and almost abit masculine. But the dry down and the middle however,smells alot like some sweet flower combined with powder.
It's a very strange scent because it's rather masculine but at the same time very feminime. I would say that this scent reminds me of a tall and androgynous teenage boy who could easily be misstaken for a beautiful girl.

codythomas
codythomas

I think No. 4711 has its historical value and it is light. I use it like sorbet between courses.

jigglyclefairypuff
jigglyclefairypuff

A splash of citrus and herbs,a refreshing pick-me-up but for some reason it scarily reminds me of the old folks home.

I always like 4711 and I have a bottle at end. It's a multi-purpose fragrance and it has beneficial effects on nervous system due to its essential oils. This is Eau de Cologne so it is less concentrated than average fragrance and it's suitable to be a splasher. I bought my first bottle in Germany long time ago, but you can find it everywhere. A Germa friend told me it is very outdated, a fragrance for grannies. Well, if it so grannies smell gentle and fresh in Germany! It has a refined, elegant edge. Not a feminine, girly or womanly scent, but very wearable and uplifting. It's not longlasting but, maybe it wasn't meant to be.
I don't wear 4711 as a personal fragrance rather I spray it in the air to refresh rooms and onto my palms to enhale an uplifting fragrance. They say it is anti-depressant. For it's very good to put on your forehead when you have headache and spend lot of time in closed offices. Now I use Citrus Verbena from L'Occitane with the same purpose.

Levana
Levana

at the old folks home , seriously 40% of the old folks have this eau de cologne, i dont prove them wrong for having it. Realy gentle and refreshing sense.

Mals86
Mals86

I like the citrus, but the herbs add a medicinal angle that I find distracting. I'll admit, though, that I'm not a huge fan of classic colognes, preferring full-fledged girly perfumes even in sticky summer heat.

I can imagine that I'd really LIKE to have a handkerchief doused in this scent placed on my forehead to combat a headache.

nenuphar
nenuphar

Love this frag. Perfect when you step out of the shower or before bed after putting on clean sheets... makes me feel clean, relaxed and refreshed.
Like most, I do wish it did last longer, but part of the charm is to be able to splash lots on and get that refreshing feel without being worried of smelling too strong.

guest_DeeKS
guest_DeeKS

Sitting in at a social club four years ago,I noticed this very handsome guy who smelled great. It took one sniff to realize he wore my favorite, 4711, and I sat closer to him to take in his cologne. Was I surprised when he started a conversation, and later asked me to coffee.
As it turned out- I later married him. Now the story goes, not only is 4711 a clean, fresh, citrusy scent that buoys your spirit- it also helped me find my husband!

Zaleska
Zaleska

I like wearing it when I go to bed or during the day! Wonderful, relaxing!
When I was a child, I remember there was a soap which smell was soooo nice... but I didn't realize it was 'inspired' in 4711!
Well, some years ago I went to a shopping mall near my house and asked the saleswoman to try the 'cologne in that beautiful bottle'! What a nice surprise! The scent of my whole childhood was there, in that 4711 bottle, and even better! :D

sky76sky
sky76sky

This scent etched itself in my mind when I spilled a WHOLE bottle of it on my 1970's brown sleeping bag on a campervan holiday...one sniff & I'm right back there.

It was given to me by my granny & to me it smells like one of the really, really strong G&T's my grandpa used to make with extra zest (once mistook one for my lemonade...nasty mistake for a nipper!). I like it for its simplicity ....a zesty-fresh cool down after a hot sunburnt day. :)

da_markos
da_markos

when i smell this cologne i'm again in my grandmother's house. she was using it. i have got flashback - like in "lost" tv series - when i'm sniffing it.
it won't never be neutral scent for me.

scent is quite nice - we have much better now, but it has over 200 years!

kimbis
kimbis

I really want to like this, but it smells awful on me. I mean AWFUL. It reminds me of that sickly sweet citrus smell some bathroom cleaners have.

dollladie

I can't explain this fragrance. My first recollections are from my early childhood, seeing it on a bathroom shelf in the summer; on my grandmother's dresser - years later on my own. I absolutely love this timeless, crisp scent. It just smells/feels RIGHT! I remember being ill years ago, and my boyfriend doused a washcloth with 4711 and placed it on my brow ... odd ... but, it gave me a soothing, calming feeling. I slept, my fever broke, and the memory of the scent stayed with me. Craziest use for a fragrance in my life!

knightz
knightz

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792) by Muelhens is primarily a Citrus after-shower splash cologne for me. It has almost no sillage, it just helps to keep smelling fresh out of the shower for about 2 hours. If I am going to the doctor or dentist I might put this on. It won't choke the doctor leaning over you, they probably wouldn't even smell it.

It is very linear. It opens with a citrus accord with very light spices, Neroli, Basil, Rosemary just barely noticeable. The base is only Musk to me, light Musk. I don't get any Florals, Woods, or Moss, it's just basically a Musky Citrus splash-on.

Don't expect all the notes you see above to be in 4711. If they are, they are in very small undetectable amounts, supporting notes. Think of light Lemon-Neroli-Musk and you have 4711. I use it once or twice a year.

I usually use the 4711 Shower Gel as an everyday wash, when I don't have a gel for the cologne I'll be wearing. I use it because it smells strong while in the shower, it's very enjoyable, somewhat elegant, and musky. I like it much better than the drug-store gels that are available for a very low price and have a cheap deodorant smell. The most it adds/layers to any scent is a very light Musk, but most scents will completely cover it.

It's a good scent, and has been for over 200 years, it's just a bit light.

kokica
kokica

this one is a very special favourite of mine...totally unique and totaly fresh....
don't really know how to explain what I feel when I smell this perfume....there's nothing smelling like it...

alicektn
alicektn

I have an untouched bottle from my mother. But it's not excatly like this one, its label says "Tosca 4711" and is larger.

Anyway,it smells so soft and balmy! On my skin it becomes powdery in a way that I adore.But I don't really use it anymore because it's quite old and I don't want to spare it.

perryforever
perryforever

I really like this cologne. If you actually go to Koln, you can smell it being made from the factory. Very refreshing and unisex. A great pick-me-up.

BelleBeryl
BelleBeryl

I have this and I have many bottles of this it is my hospital fragrance yes indeed the scent I wear in hospital
very refreshing citrusy this and the meds keep me going

elgab89
elgab89

I do not think is a bad fragrance. Being on the market for over 200 years, does qualify it as a good fragrance. It is very fresh and beautiful to wear on those hot summer days. Very citric it takes you back to Mediterranean Sea, more than its place of origin - Koln.
The best description is on their website:
"4711 Original Eau de Cologne is one of the oldest brands and benefits from exceptional name recognition throughout the world. Users rate it as "the mother of all Eau de Cologne". The secret formula for 4711 Original Eau de Cologne is still appreciated across the globe to this day and makes the "aqua mirabilis" an absolute classic without comparison.

The promise has been kept for over 200 years: the use of a unique composition has a positive effect on the mind, body and soul. Essential oils, that are renowned for their aromatherapeutic properties, produce an indescribable feeling of well-being."

My only complaint is that it does not last long, well, it is affordable so you can apply it often.

Made for men and women.

Van Cat
Van Cat

I've love this fragrance at first smell in 1989, when I've buyed it in Wien.So clean and so compete...simply perfect. The scent of an happy sunny day in sprig time.