Designers » M » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Tabac Maurer & Wirtz for men

Tabac Maurer & Wirtz for men
dislike

aldehydic

Tabac by Maurer & Wirtz is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Tabac was launched in 1955. Top notes are aldehydes, lavender, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, sandalwood, orris root, jasmine, rose and pine tree needles; base notes are tonka bean, amber, musk, vanilla, oakmoss and tobacco.

Aldehydes Lavender Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Sandalwood Orris Root Jasmine Rose Pine Tree Needles

Tonka Bean Amber Musk Vanilla Oakmoss Tobacco

Chanel No 5 Eau de Cologne

Tabac Fragrance Reviews

Geordie Sam

Walk into any bar anywhere in the World wearing Tabac and you will be noticed,it has a smell like no other,you will either love it or hate it,and guess what Gentlemen, I love it.If this stuff was a boxer it would be Ali,if it was a painter it would be Caravaggio,if it was a rock song it would be Won't Get Fooled Again, and if it was an actor it would be Brando.This takes no prisoners, it's the Somme, Verdun and Stalingrad all rolled into one,you had to be there to experience it and live through it and come out the other side.And it leaves a path of pure (but good) devastation in it's wake.

And I for one am pleased I was there to witness it.

I cannot do this creation justice in a few short sentences,suffice it to say, take a chance on this,if it pays off for you you will walk that much taller,feel that much more confident,and be that much more attractive.

This is not for boys,this is MAN STUFF.

Pros: A TOTAL POWERHOUSE, A TOUR DE FORCE IN FRAGRANCES.
Cons: NONE WHATSOEVER IN MY BOOK."

jaybear
jaybear

I love this scent, I really do. After a somewhat heavy start it embraces the wearer beautifully softly and makes him feel clean, well-shaven and suave in an old-fashioned way. Under the flowery aldehydes there's some tobacco, not unsmoked aromatic pipe tobacco or something similar but slightly smoky and straightforward no-nonsense shag. However, the popularity of the fragrance among 60+ males - at least here where I live - and the easily recognizable scent make wearing Tabac quite tricky. In my opinion it isn't outdated, it's just the associations and the image, really. Nevertheless, I'm still going to keep on spraying myself with it. Proudly.

Rsbb
Rsbb

It is really very old-fashioned. It reminds me of my childhood where many male family members used the aftershave/colonge.

I wouldent wear it, but I do like it. My wife thinks its awfull. I have the Shaving cream a.o., which is good, and therefore I am - on weekly basis - in contact with the smell.

Katieg
Katieg

This is really lovely. A smell of a real old fashioned man who opens doors and bathes in hot water and soap not shower gel. But be warned. Each of the formulations smells very different. I recently bought my son the EDC for his birthday and was assailed mainly by the scent of carnation not wood. Love it! And so inexpensive!

Cheadle
Cheadle

How can a cologne bring back good memories when you've just used it for the first time????

That's how surreal one's experience could be using Tabac. Its not available in my country but I always buy I when I travel.

This cost at least five times less than most mainstream powerhouse scents. Kouros, Chanel pour un monsieur. monsieur de Givenchy, Armani Pour homme etc?

But I'm not complaining!!

gd15329
gd15329

This is very heavy stuff especially indoors - it's manly yes, but in a very old way "aramis-old" way (but not with aramis quality)... so be careful with this one...

kanak
kanak

Tabac is machismo central, old school style and that is a very good thing. There is a reason they are still making this frag half a century later- it smells good.period. Aldehydes,tobacco, lavender, musk, amber, all masculine notes present, all accounted for and blended really well into a quite, confident,comfortably macho fragrance smorgasbord. I know it is a cliche but this really is a frag you need hair on your chest to pull off in a manner of speaking coz if you dont have any, it will probably put some there!! If you are looking for a fruity fresh/ night club "chick magnet" fragrance, move along sir, nothing here for you to see. You are not going to score with any younger women with this because you will probably just remind them of their dads. On the other hand, if you just want to smell good, clean, quitely masculine. welcome Sir, make yourself comfortable!! This review is for the EDC version and projection and longevity are pretty decent. I get 5 hours plus. In a way, tabac is a time capsule, like a Gentleman's club with men in tweed coats and pipe tobacco wafting in the air, rustle of newspapers, clink of crystal and ice and whisky glasses...when men were men, nuclear holocaust threatened the world and political correctness had not yet been invented!! LOL. It might be from a different time but then again, it is also timeless. I like it. 8/10

spartan
spartan

Tobacco, oakmoss, amber, tonka, vanilla, sandalwood are you Kidding!! Reeks of Maturity, masculinity, and class, without being overbearing and in your face. It's Male perfection. Timeless Classic. This review is for the Eau De Cologne only! Not the EDT. The EDT is NOT the same sent, not even close, it lacks the Tobacco that the EDC reeks of. The EDT is more floral and feminine. The bottle this comes in is very well made, masculine like the Cologne itself. Made in Germany, what more could one ask for.

SofiaAmbrosia
SofiaAmbrosia

I was intrigued reading the reviews on this fragrance for men that it could also be worn by women. So the 10.1 oz of Tabac Original EDC splash finally arrived today and being a woman, I found it tipping on the masculine side, rather than the feminine side as suggested my some reviewers. I waited for a couple of hours for the cologne to "settle in" on my wrists then layered it with Tosca, also by Maeurer & Wirtz, and it's absolutely delicious!!!

NebelGeîst
NebelGeîst

Just bought a new bottle of the splash cologne, because the 80´s vintage one is (almost) empty, and I recently bought the shaving soap as well as the bar soap from Tabac Original.

As there are slight differences between EDT, EDC Spray and EDP Splash version, and usually you can´t find the splash in the local stores, plus in those who have it there´s no seperate tester, I had a tiny little hope the splash cologne would still smell closer to the older formulations.
But the hope is gone now.

Where the vintage version used to be deeper and warmer, the current version is lighter and fresher. It stills bears the DNA that I remember, but lacks of depth and warmth, that I always felt when smelling this.
When I make a side by side comparison, I´d say they reduced oakmoss and tonka bean (and maybe changed the sandelwood) and put in some more musks, but not the warmer richer musks, it has a bit more of the laundry type of musks to me. Those musks may be the reason why the new formulation has a bit better sillage, but keeps somewhat fresh even in the drydown, where in the vintage cologne all freshness disappeared on my skin when the top notes were evaporated.

Better sillage makes it not a better perfume, though. The opposite it closer to the truth in fact. Tabac Original might be still okay, and for the cheap price you can´t go wrong anyway, but it has lost its uniqueness to me, its richness and warmth.
I´d rather live with a close-to-the-skin but old scent Tabac than with better projection but worse scent.

Edit: Longevity has improved as well. Have smelled it on my arm the next morning. Never had that with the vintage one.

Edit2: The bar soap smells closer to the original than the current EDC. The shaving soap is e bit fresher in smell, but without that much 'laundry musks' as the current EDC.

Edit3: Mäurer & Wirtz has released a new list of the notes, to be found on the Tabac original homepage:

Top: Neroli, Lemon, Pepper, Bergamot, Petitgrain
Heart: Lavender, Chamomile, Geranium, Oakwood
Base: Cloves, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Ambergris

MeganD
MeganD

This review is for the Eau de Cologne.

For as long as I can remember, my dad has used Tabac Eau de Cologne and deodorant. To be quite honest, I was never super into it and couldn't get why something so dated and seemingly icky was still being sold. To me, it smelled like the bug spray I use when hiking.

However, I now realise why this stuff is a classic. To fully appreciate it, you need to be close enough to smell the scent it leaves after the top notes dissipate a little. Seeing as it's odd for a father and 17 year old daughter to get that physically close, I never experienced that side to it.

I'm still not sure what made me spritz it on while idly faffing in the bathroom (boredom?), but I'm so glad I did. At first, I had my usual "woah, bug spray" reaction, but after about 20-30 minutes I COULD NOT stop sniffing myself. It developed into the most deliciously clean, sexy, soapy, almost powdery scent. If you're a man reading this, please don't let that put you off - It is by no means feminine, it's just not as heavy and cloying as other classic mens' fragrances (Aramis, I'm looking at you.) I can totally see Don Draper patting himself down with Tabac aftershave, then going out and getting ALL THE BITCHES.

The boyfriend is not a fan of unisex or masculine fragrances on a woman, so if I'm seeing him I dab on some Santa Maria Novella rosewater when the Tabac has dried down. This 'feminizes' it just enough to make it smell sexy and womanly and keep him happy, while retaining the soapy spiciness that I love. Something amusing I've noticed: I get way more compliments from men when I wear straight Tabac, whereas women compliment me more when I layer it with the rosewater.

Anyway, sorry if this review seems a bit garbled - I'm not good at describing scents in the proper technical terms, it's more about the feelings and associations they bring. To me, Tabac = Mellow, sophisticated, classic, SEXY. Just om nom nom in a (very basic, delightfully inexpensive) bottle.

dubairob
dubairob

Now this is a fragrance that clearly is still around for a reason...

The opening of the EDC version - the only one I've tried - is not the most pleasant part of this fragrance. Yes, there is quite a bit going on at this point, but for me I could swear there was something animalic in the earliest whiffs of Tabac. I don't mind animalic notes in a fragrance - and can enjoy them - but here it unfortunately comes across as being ever so slightly fecal. Don't know how,possibly due to how the musk is done, but that's what I get. Thankfully, this subsides very quickly and I am left with a pleasant aldehydes and leather combination underscored by some florals. It goes one to become a bit talc-like/powdery before departing a couple of hours later.

As an EDC I believe it can be worn through the year, and even has its function in the Summer dashed on a handkerchief in the pocket, it gives a nice light scent and sensation when rubbed on the back of the neck. I happily wore this on summer holidays in Central Europe a number of times - with an open-necked shirt for lunch it was perfect - when I didn't want to wear anything heavier or loud.

Tabac Original EDC is not exactly a stellar scent in 2014. It is showing its age a bit these days, but it has a bit of 'retro-chic' about it all the same, and it is very easy to grab without thinking too much.

rum
rum

To me, Tabac was synonymous with the word aftershave. It used to be my father's favourite and now I can see why. It gives one heck of a sting when applied after shaving, but it soon clams down the skin and leaves it soft and very supple.

For me, it's a winter scent, although many would argue it's equally good in the summer months. I personally get a warm feeling from it - I'm not quite sure what the notes all are but I detect some florals (lavender for one) and plenty of spicy woods.

As an aftershave it is very oily which gives the skin a good covering after shaving and yet it last through the next day! I can't believe how powerful this one is!

edge42
edge42

Well according to the only opinions I care about, Tabac EDC makes me smell like a grandpa wearing spicy baby powder! What?! This is unfortunate because I like this scent, it's got the biggest barbershop vibe of anything I've smelled to date - even moreso than my much beloved Rive Gauche.

Regardless, I will continue to sneak this into the rotation as opinions often change - especially on scents. For me, it's a definite LIKE at this stage. For those around me however, it's a big fat dislike at the moment.

lovetribe
lovetribe

tried for the day of native the edc today.
to the beginnings it is a clean bomb and of soap. awesome!!i love it, in fact I thought about having sprinkled too much of it.
later 1 hour didn't feel even now it more on my skin.it is not now even on my suits.the odor of the kitchen of the restaurant has perhaps won on tabac. it has a fantastic odor.I like indeed it.I will retry it and I will reinstate or I lead my impression.
does the edt perhaps have more longevities and sillage?

amjadqureshi
amjadqureshi

The most beautiful blend of tobacco and aldehydes i have ever put my nose to. Utterly timeless and exotic. With sorry to pseudo-aficionados, if put in fancy bottle with niche banner and price tag of $300; this juice will sell like hot cakes with much higher rating.

zouve
zouve

is there any difference in scent/Longevity between Tabac EDC falcon and Tabac EDC spray?
Because falcon bottles are the biggest 300ml
the spray bottles are up to 100ml

Delmont
Delmont

Masculine and seductive. Sweet, in an oriental way, but not cloying. Then comes the factor of value for money: with my huge 10.1oz for under US$24.00, I can smell good all day long without any guilt of conspicuous consumption in my economically modest native Rwanda. The Cartiers and Guccis can be used only when reasonably called for!

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

Wearing the EDC today... What can I say? This is a true classic. I get 5 hours of longevity with medium sillage. Gives me confidence when I have this juice on. Get it if you don't have it.

cytherian
cytherian

UPDATE:
Funny what time can do to your senses... or when you start expanding your exposure to colognes (if you're just starting out). Tabac has a bit of nostalgia for me, as it was one of my first colognes. But now that I've acquainted myself with other colognes of deservedly higher stature, I'm not quite as bullish about this fragrance. I still think it's a fine value based on the going prices. But at this point it has been demoted into my "like" category. I'll still be using it from time to time, but it has had to make way for others. What caused me to demote it? Well, the soapy quality is a bit stronger than I'm liking these days. Plus the confluence of notes is a little bit "odd" (as someone else noted). The aftershave has a kind of floral scotch whisky thing going on, with not much tobacco at all. I guess that's a good thing in that nothing else really quite smells like Tabac. It stands unique. If it weren't such a good value, I'd probably not buy another bottle. Yet, I won't stick with BOTH the EdC and aftershave. I'm finding the aftershave a little off the mark now. I'll be sticking with the EdC going forward.
______________________________________________________

I wonder if sometimes a long term exposure to a fragrance makes you biased to it. I've been using the aftershave and cologne (EdC) for years since the late 1980's. While most of the women I've dated enjoyed the aftershave scent, there were a few that wanted me to wear something that telegraphs a more youthful air, which the cologne is a little more like. I do agree it is a mature scent, but only in the sense of just breaking into the power zone of life, the mid 30's into 40's.

For the aftershave there's definitely tobacco notes accompanied by some smokiness and spice, with only a hint of floral and honey to soften the edge. It's a good robust fragrance with finesse and refinement. It wears well, but is a little weak on staying power. Which I consider a good thing, as heady long lasting fragrances tend to overwhelm in the initial hours. After the first couple of hours, this scent stays close to the skin.

The EdC is indeed a similar yet different fragrance. There's much less tobacco with citrus a bit more forward. It's a younger, sportier kind of scent with an echo back to the aftershave. This doesn't make sense, does it? Usually this is the reverse, with the EdC having a bolder scent. I must confess, there may be an issue with my bottles, because I have had them for many years... and perhaps evaporation could cause the aftershave to become more concentrated.

In any event, I enjoy both. They're nice bold but smooth fragrances that are definitely masculine, without being completely non-floral. Just to draw a comparison, I find Cartier Pasha to be what would happen to Tabac if you brought floral and powder qualities full forward, pushing spicy into the background. I'm definitely more of a citrus guy when it comes to lighter and fruitier notes. Others have remarked about a prominent powdery note with Tabac, but I'm not seeing it... It can come across as a bit soapy though.

Mr.Bobby.N
Mr.Bobby.N

This is my father's favorite scent. We'd buy him different colgnes and EDT's over the years, but he always only bought and asked for TABAC.

Today it was his birthday. I gave him AZZARO POUR HOMME as a gift (Which he liked)... and then later I was in his bathroom, saw my father's big 300ml TABAC cologne on the shelf and tried some on my wrist (as a bit of fun)... and WOW... it's one of the best I've experienced in this classic genre.

I can see why (since 1955 !?) this is STILL selling well today... It's timeless, fresh and manly.

I'm definitely getting some for myself too :)

UPDATE: I just bought the EDT, and it starts off with more tobacco, but dries to the same great fresh smell, while the Cologne starts with freshness and continues all the way through. The EDT is ~$20 for 100ml, while the 300ml Cologne is the same price ($20)... a bargain.

TABAC is not trying to be a designer fragrance, but stands on it's own feet confidently saying, "I'm still here for a reason."

This scent is SO versatile and cheap, you can't go wrong...you can throw it in your gym bag to freshen up after your shower, or wear it out formally. It's a timeless fresh/aldehyde scent for a man, no matter his age. You feel great wearing this.

This is one of those rare fragrances that, if you only had to take ONE scent with you on holiday or a trip (to cover most occasions), then this would be one of the first I'd think of... Just perfect :)

---------------------------------------------
SILLAGE: good
LONGEVITY: good
SCENT: excellent
VALUE FOR MONEY: excellent (so cheap)

OVERALL: 9/10
---------------------------------------------

UPDATE#2: I've gotten many compliments with this scent in the last few days. People are VERY surpised when i tell them what it is (or show them the bottle)... that is, they would probably be ready to hate the 'bottle' or 'age' of this fragrance, had they not been impressed by the smell first.

tolgacavdar

This is my second review. I had EdT version and I really loved it. Recently I read in BaseNotes that Tabac EdC was a quite different and supposedly better stuff. Since I am a Tabac fan, I decided to try it and made a blind buy.

Here my opinion: EdT and EdC are really different scents. I don't know why Mäurer & Wirtz used the same name for them. For the EdC: Don't let the "eau de cologne" term fool you. It has a considerable longevity. But sillage is rather soft. Actually this may be an advantage for office use.

Both EdC and EdT are very good fragrances. Altough BaseNoters use their votes for EdC, I strongly prefer EdT.

To MrMookie,
yes. sir, you said it! Excellent!
God bless your wife & kids; and you, try to keep your well-perfumed mornings! It's all we have, in fact.
best,
h.

robertodoi
robertodoi

To me Tabac EDT has notes of Azzaro + Polo green + Paco Rabanne pour homme ( green bottle ). Or they has notes of Tabac because this one was created in 1955!! The father of green fougeres!!

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

So Good!

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

My dad, a flagrantly un-hip guy, wore this stuff -- perhaps because his father before him wore it. It was "dated" even when Dad wore it. But who cares about "dated"? It still smells nice.

It smells of leather-scented shaving soap and sweet pipe tobacco. It's gentle and warm while still being clean and fresh. Once it dries, it stays politely close to the skin, which is sometimes exactly what you want.

I'm biased, of course. This scent reminds me of the times when my parents were happiest together. Such memories are bound to smell good.

I find it can work as a unisex fragrance. I'm a woman and my husband enjoys the scent on me.

MrMookie
MrMookie

To hadrian what a good review ! Your words are mine..
I love these barbershop grooming type of scents . Freshly shaven out of the shower you walk to the closet where your +150 frags are divided into 4 olfactory groups all yelling to you : pick me PICK MEEEE....

Its hot and humid and you skip the sweet and deep orientals...
Closes the door of this group ...

Next door : aquatics (citrus-ozonics) .... Mmmm im done wearing these aqua boys lately im more into a frag with a kick...closes door

Next door the woody / leather group ... Mmmm damn its hot today i want some freshness... Maybe i need a sharper citrus like eau savage or rochas??

Last door i open : my oldskool powerhouse group full of soapiness and yes my verdict is done:
I pull out the big 300 ml 10.2 oz edc Tabac and splash my upper torso and neck with 2 hands of this magical bliss... Combined with 2 sprays of edt to combine
Im al awake fresh and shaven ready to go for work
Kissing wife and kids downstairs and they tell me how good i smell ...

Not old fashioned - tacky - grandpa stuff but a well done blast of bergamot, aldehydes, lavender, fresh tobacco and florals welcome your new day to come.
Drydown is also very sublte as it combines in your cotton leaving a pleasant aura

I truly love the EdC and i love the EDT in both ways , where i find that the EDT has more smokiness on the drydown and the Edc has more freshness and light tobacco in offering
From start till end both stay linear but good

Masterpiece - underrated by many (thank god) , so it will maintain an oddity :-)

tolgacavdar

Tabac is a safe bet. Does it smell soapy? Yes... But that "cleanliness" makes it "safe". You can wear it anywhere, anytime. Not assertive but definitely manly...

hadrian

“Which one I’ll wear today?”. You precisely are familiar with that question. A perfume lover is cursed to put it to himself, in the morning, two or three times a week.
And, when I can’t make up my mind… when I find myself undecided between some frags I love… for instance, when I can’t choose between Chanel’s Antaeus and Rabanne’s Pour Homme… I must confess: I always take the good old (and manly floral) Tabac, the EDT version.
Say, 20 years ago I furiously rejected the simple white bottle. 10 years ago I put it in my collection, but I treat the scent with an enormous negligence. But wisdom came with the age. M&W Tabac it’s a gem. No one will ever write a history of world’s fragrances without honoring this old soldier.
Definitely, it is a Top 3 entry among the “cheap” – in terms of price – fragrances available today. The quality/price ratio is astonishing.
Pour les connaisseurs.
Anytime, anywhere, a 8,5/10.

fragrantpete.
fragrantpete.

I like Tabac, and have done for years.
However....
I have recently discovered Alt Innsbruck which outshines it in every way ( including its low price ) being made from natural ingredients like tabacco flowers and menthol, whereas Tabac is largely synthetic.
Seek it out..give it a whirl.

Stinker7
Stinker7

Bought a bottle of the AS a week ago and now I want to get the entire range. Works perfectly for me. The more I use it the more I like it plus I seem to need less now since using it for a week to cover my face. Deffinetely a leather scent most of the time I wear it and it really comes out of the background as the surrounding temperature rises or if I'm in direct sunlight.

Slain
Slain

This scent screams fresh musky manliness. Unfortunately it also sometimes screams 'barbershop'.

My father swears by this cologne, and suits him perfectly. Me, on the other hand smells like a little boy trying to smell like a man, like a I've just drowned myself in barbershop chemicals and hit the town.

If you're a bloke who can pull off a distinctive smell like this - good on you! Women will be hanging off you.

Mancorp
Mancorp

I wear this on those days when all I want from my cologne is the sense of being well-groomed. The scent is pleasant enough, sharp aldehydes and citrus up front and a mild soapy drydown. I don't detect any tobacco. It turns into a skin scent in less than 30 minutes and only a hint of it is detectable after a couple of hours. There are other fragrances I reach for when I'm in the mood to piss off repressed perfumophobes.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I was so disappointed in this. "Tabac": I wanted it to invoke a deep, aromatic and heady tobacco note - something masculine. Instead, it's weirdly aldehydic and soapy. Kind of an effervescent tobacco. Freaky!

I'm aware that it's a classic, but I don't like it at all.

PAK
PAK

Average scent at best. If its a barbershop like fragrance you seek out, there are better alternatives out there.

Geordie Sam

THIS is MAN STUFF, if you want to smell like a Superman buy this, forget all that sweet,modern, boy band rubbish, get some MAN fragrance,it's the battle of the Somme AND Stalingrad all rolled into one. you will make all the Ladies happy.
Geordie Sam.

rudwat
rudwat

My go To fragrance.

I purchased the cologne about 2 weeks ago and I was slowly swept off my feet. I had smelled it many times before over many years- but was never Too keen on it then. However, all grown up now.... you put aside childish things and get a bottle of this.

The key To this fragrance lies in the delicate balance between a flowery and smoky scent. The 2 scents seem To exist simultaneously, although u can only detect one at a time. The smokiness reminds me of a wodburning fire indoors or even a fresh out of the pan kassler chop. I know, Odd.

In the words of Toni Braxton, "how many ways can I love you?... let me count the ways"

beaconaust
beaconaust

It is a classic of the 50s but it has survived well over the years. I have always liked it and revisit it occasionally when I feel nostalgic. if you haven't tried it, then it is worth considering becaus any scent that has been around that long has something going for it.

RobbieX

This review is for EDC. I think this version of Tabac is probably the best because the aldehydes persist longer than the EDT or the aftershave in my opinion. A delightful opening of fresh soapy aldehydes and citrus. The drydown stays fresh, I can just smell the tobacco in the background and the aldehydic sillage is lovely. Comes in a quality heavy glass flacon. Really great, inexpensive and classic scent for men.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Review of the EDC:

Tabac opens with a brilliant accord of lemon, lavender, and aldehydes, very citric and fresh. I'm immediately reminded of Boucheron Pour Homme, another citrus chypre, but Tabac smells fizzier, livelier, more aldehydic. Gradually the brightness of the opening segues into a nuanced "tobacco-esque" heart that suggests the ambiance of freshly-rolled cigarettes and cigars, without actually smelling like tobacco. It's a skillful blend of sandalwood, lavender, and amber. There's also a heady dose of rose and jasmine in there as well, quite remarkable in that these notes are pronounced enough to make this ostensibly masculine cologne wearable for women. After an hour everything powders up, leaving skin feeling soft and fresh, a remarkable performance from a scent that smells four times more expensive than it actually is. Yet another example of how the "classic masculines are boring" philosophy is utterly wrong.

See the Leffingwell Fragrance Genealogie chart for Tabac's positioning among other fresh citrus chypres, including Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale, and Eau Sauvage.

ericrico
ericrico

This review is for a 175ml Vintage bottle of Tabac Eau de Cologne. After much searching, I was able to obtain a bottle that is the one I wanted (and in a nice size). The EdC is, according to most people what one should look for and I believe this is true. My father, I believe, had the Vintage After Shave back in the day as I remember the smell. But I was a young boy and was only smelling things out of curiosity and discovering my passion.

My bottle has two connected triangles (pointed up & down) next to the TABAC ORIGINAL logo as well as two blue dots. I went on Ebay and it matched an original printed advertisement dated from 1971!! Wow - a 40-year old bottle identical in the picture!!! I was so happy to purchase it, knowing it was vintage - but this is now very special.

The pyramid is true - nice sharp citrus with neroli and lavender open fresh on the skin, lifted by some nice aldehydes. Splashed on vigorously after a shave and neutral balm application - this is wonderful! Immediately, you are transported to a different era of metropolitan men in suits who knew their barbers and this aroma filled the air and masculinity was about smelling fresh and refined. This is simply classic, not dated or "old". If you cannot appreciate Vintage Tabac EdC, then time has passed you by and it is not for you. Fine - leave it alone for those of us who appreciate it.

The heart is where a lot of the powdery-vibe comes from - a nice fragrant jasmine with classic sandalwood that smells so nice and gentlemanly...balanced very well by two nice sharper notes that keep this invigorating - carnation-clove and pine. Never cloying or too sweet. But, definitely not offensive or abrasive.

The base does have a nice pinch of light tobacco (I get tobacco leaf mixed with a pinch of moist pipe tobacco that smells fragrant - not smoky at all). It doesn't come across as a smoker's scent - the base notes that stand out more predominately to me are oakmoss, a nice musk, amber and a light tonka bean/vanilla accord. A warming, soothing base with the amber while the oakmoss and musk keep the floral heart alive well into the drydown. Wonderful.

I will definitely keep a bottle of this in my collection - and I am curious to find a vintage After Shave, but for now...I have what I believe is the true essence of this scent and I really like it. A lot of respect to Maurer & Wirtz who have continued production since the 1950's and I believe the Vintage EdC is what all other bottlings should be measured to.

Personally, I will not seek out the EdT. I am more than content with what I was able to find.

No score. Just pure adoration. Excellent...a true classic.

waine
waine

This is the juice you bought for your father or uncle in the eighties. Somehow I ended up with a bottle. A real memory jerker! I cannot describe the notes though.

It was OK. Disappointing lasting power, if any at all. I find the displayed perfume pyramid for this one extremely appealing in terms of notes which are right there with my favourite ingredients as I enjoy the aromatic genre.

I absolutely adore the shaving soap and I have been tempted to buy the EDT and the aftershave, however, I will buy this only if it were on a special.

kotragx
kotragx

my father used to wear it. wonderfull memories.
for those who don't like soap just can say there is nothing better than a smell of clean body and soap.
tabak is real man's classic, and still so cheap! and 57 years old. the germans made joke in the advertizing in the late 90s: Tabac - the stuff your grandfather flirt/hit on yoyr grandmother.

starshadow
starshadow

As instantjim pointed out, the spray version does smell a lot like a weaker version of PACO RABANNE, though I would say a MUCH weaker, and clearly inferior, version. However, as he alluded to, the splash-on is another matter altogether and smells like a completely different product, and is powdery and wonderful. And it's extaordinarily cheap without in any way smelling that way. Plus you have the psychological allure of dousing yourself with something originated back in 1955 - in and of itself an interesting effect. The stuff is a winner and I know where I can get gigantic bottles for, like 9 bucks. Phenomenal.

edpjunkie
edpjunkie

I don't know if the juice they produce now has been reformulated but the bottle I have was made in the 80's.It is beautiful, clean, made with top-notch materials,and a classic! It is easily unisex and my husband and I will definitely fight over it.

mortderire
mortderire

All I smell is Tide brand powder detergent, w/ a dash of pine-sol. I just smelled it again and I thought "poor man's Prada Infusion". I don't care for this one.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

The most powdery smell i have met.
Even more powdery then the prada house!
Sweet,soapy,very warm,pleasant to any nose.
And i think that it can be worn this day easily in cold weather.
Wear it in warm weather and shock ur self and people around u :D!!

K1
K1

I can't rank it as feminine or masculine. It's floral, aldehyde and creamy and harsh in opening yet cool, dry and neat and white just like someone who bathed few minutes ago.
After a while the old school pattern appears more with deep soapy biting tone based on herbal and aldehyde integrated theme.
Whole it presents is absolute vintage spirit, a little sporty and unique.
The cheap price makes a good opportunity for retro lovers.

ION
ION

Tabac original is how Chanel No 5 for Men would smell.
It's elegant, distinctive and strong in character, old fashioned and modern at the same time.
If you're young at age it will give you a positive aura of balance and sophistication. If you are older it will work just as good because it just smells so nice!
I find it to be the European version of Old Spice but let me say that this one is probably better.
If in doubt, Tabac is always a safe bet. I find their shower gel to be a bit too strong though.

mehrdad
mehrdad

در زمان خودش یکی از عطرهای خوب آن روزگار بود بویی کلاسیک و سنگین و همچنین جذاب
افتر شیو این کار از ادکلنش بیشتر در ایران طرفدار داشت و خودم نیز تا سالها فقط از این افتر شیو استفاده میکردم
برای بعضی شاید مقداری ایجاد سر درد نماید که بعد از مدتی مرتفع خواهد شد دلیلش نیز رایحه عطر یاس است
قابل توجه دوستان که رایحه عطر یاس برای خیلی ها ایجاد سر درد مینماید و این در حالی است که خود گل یاس و بو کردن آن این اثر را نداشته و وقتی فراوری میشود ایجاد این عارضه را مینماید فلذا اگر نسبت به عطری احساس سر درد نمودید بسیار زیاد احتمال دهید که رایحه یاس و یا گل میخک در آن بسیار استفاده گردیده است

spoombung
spoombung

This is the stuff that got me hooked on perfume way back in the early eighties... so I will pay homage to it here by declaring my everlasting love for it: I will be faithful!

Every four or five years I pop down to Boots the chemist to buy a little bottle and reacquaint myself with this lovely scent. A magical avalanche of great memories and a cast of dear friends comes flooding back.

It's magical stuff.

gazelle
gazelle

I'm wondering why I didn't read the reviews before I bought the EDT for Father's Day, 2011. It's the EDC I wanted for him which has to be the most calming, gentle, and soothing of the two. They smell nothing alike at all. Lesson learned.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

The smell of this fragance is strange, kind of sweet,powdery, i dont like it very much, smells like a very old man, i do not recommend this fragance for young people.... its for men in their 70s or 80s

instantjim

I just recently obtained the EDC after first buying the EDT. As Castor noted in his review, the EDC has nothing to do with the EDT. I compared the list of ingredients and altough there were many the same, there were also many different. The EDC has limonene, oakmoss, tree moss and the EDT does not. The EDT is 79% (alcohol) but the EDC is 78% (?) but the EDT is much stronger.

As for the scent, the EDC (which I take is the original formulation) is soapy and musky with a tobacco note - very appealing really. The EDT I have already reviewed - it smells more like a spin-off of Paco Rabanne pour Homme. I like the notes in the EDC muh more, it's a pity that it's not stronger.

k273
k273

Long time ago, my father wore the EdC, maaaaaaaaaaan how it smelled niiiiiiiiiice after mixing with his cigarette's smoke!

instantjim

I recently got the EDT after reading up about it. Apparently the EDC is a different fragrance altogether, with more of a tobacco note. The EDT starts off strong and in no small way resembles Paco Rabanne, though slightly weaker. It is a soapy fragrance where oakmoss is predominant. There is also a subdued 'blossomy note' , which is probably the jasmine.

After 30 minutes, the strength of this fragrance has drastically reduced from being almost on par with Paco Rabanne, to being only a fraction of it. The longevity falls short of P.R. also, but compared with many of the more modern fragrances is still quite acceptible.

Midrac
Midrac

I'm astonished that it only exists since 55. I was born early 60s and the smell and publicity of this stuff was all over the place of my heardresser when I was young.

ARAMIS

Please PM me, if you know a tabac' resembling cologne (or recipe)! I couldn't find tabac anymore.

I am addictive to Tabac, help please :)

I bought Tabac Hair Lotion in El Corte Ingles in Puerto Banus but cannot locate it in Dublin or anywhere else. How do I find it ?
jasod@ritcs.ie

RobbieX

This review is for the EDT which is a bit different. A beautiful fresh, soapy scent which is a bit floral too. A medium priced cologne. Longevity is good and the sillage is good too. It's a nice man's fragrance. This and Jovan Musk are the 2 best cheap men's fragrances out there!

ARAMIS

I am in love with TABAC, really original and odd!

BIG

i tested TABAC yesterday and i got this strong soapy drydown, totally different to what i smelled the first time when tried it. I even think of giving it a second chance

Levana
Levana

I dont care what people say, this eau de cologne is addictive. To bad boys my age dont wear it. but thats a personal opinion ofcourse =D. Its sooo soapy it just smells like CLEAN. very masculine. Love it love it

BIG

i bought the 100 ml EDT. Tried it. MAN, this stuff is way too strong, so i gifted it o my dad! I can imagine only men over 40 yo wearing this.

DHMO
DHMO

IMO this one is awful. I sampeled it a couple days ago because, like others on here, I thought "well, it's a classic, let's give it a try".
It smells like soap, nothing else, just soap... the cheap one you find in public bathrooms. I was very disappointed, however, "Tabac silver" smelled kind of good.

Castor
Castor

The EdC has nothing to do with the EdT: the first one is drier, while the second one is flowery. Tobacco is present in the first one while mostly absent in the EdT.

The EdC works quite well as a deodorant in very hot and humid weather. Longevity is apparently limited to two hours after application, but as soon as one starts to sweat, Tabac reappears quite clearly.

alpasha66
alpasha66

a true classic, the after shave was great in Winter and the eau de Cologne is the best after a long Tennis match in Summer. late 1970`s were smashing.

sophywt
sophywt

I've tried the after shave. It's soapy on me, but I quite like its cleanness . The tobacco notes are smokey in the fisrt, and then turn into bit honey smell, giving way to floral, smooth yet masculine. The only thing is, it can't stay on my skin very long.

I ordered EDT version, can't wait to try it !

Tabac by Maurer & Wirtz 3.89 out of 5 based on 322 ratings and 68 user reviews

Sample
TABAC ORIGINAL for MEN by Maurer Wirtz AFTERSHAVE SPRAY 0.05 OZ VIAL ON CARD MINI
TABAC ORIGINAL for MEN by Maurer Wirtz EDT SPRAY 1.7 OZ
Tabac by Maurer Wirtz for Men Cologne Spray 3.4 oz
Cologne 5.1oz
Tabac Cologne by Maurer Wirtz, 5.1 oz Cologne for Men
Tabac Cologne by Maurer Wirtz, 5.1 oz Cologne for Men
Tabac Cologne by Maurer Wirtz, 3.3 oz Cologne Spray Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Cologne 5.1oz
FragranceShop.com
Aftershave 10.1oz
Tabac by Maurer Wirtz for Men After Shave 10.1 oz
Tabac by Maurer Wirtz for Men After Shave 10.1 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Maurer & Wirtz Tabac fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Maurer & Wirtz Tabac, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tabac by Maurer & Wirtz. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tabac by Maurer & Wirtz represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.