Designers » M » Oriental « Groups

dislike

I have it: 900 I had it: 204 I want it: 702 My signature: 24

leather
Habanita Molinard for women Pictures Habanita Molinard for women Pictures

Habanita by Molinard is a Oriental fragrance for women. Habanita was launched in 1921. The nose behind this fragrance is Molinard. Top notes are orange blossom, raspberry, peach and bergamot; middle notes are lilac, orris root, jasmine, heliotrope, ylang-ylang and rose; base notes are leather, amber, musk, benzoin, vanilla, oakmoss and cedar.

Orange Blossom Raspberry Peach Bergamot

Enslaved

Habanita Fragrance Reviews

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

Wow. Habanita has the leathery tobacco of Tabac Blond, the powdery sex appeal of Nuit de Noel, and a metallic green note reminiscent of Bandit--of which, truthfully, I wish there were a tad less. It eventually fades, while the parfum as a whole lasts and lasts. Hands down, Habanita has the best longevity of any scent I've ever worn.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a tiny decant. Starts off peachy aldehydes with some florals then dries down to vintage BaV (EdC). Projection and longevity are good on my skin. I'm in love!

llburris
llburris

I almost lost a very nice fragrance for being too impatient. The beginning of this scent isn't very pleasing to my nose. It MAY be the lime. I'm still new to this and am trying to learn how to tell what's what. Anyway, I started to wash it off and was interrupted to do something that took about a half an hour. I smelled my wrist again. VOILA! A totally different smell. Something that was very nice and Oriental. AAAAAHHHHHHH........so thankful for that interruption!

Rebemario
Rebemario

Ok, after reading everyones glowing reviews, (some not so much!), I had to find myself a bottle of this stuff. I found it at this great perfumery I know which has old bottles of perfume that no one in my neighborhood even has a clue of! No hipsters out here or there would be no more cool niche out here, me thinks! So I was so amazed to find it, my heart all a flutter like the perfume fiend I am, the box, gorgeous, the bottle, vintage vintage glorious vintage, and at spray......interesting....sweet for sure but what am I getting here?

Strong so I am happy right away, I get no bug spray as some mentioned, I get tobacco and its not even a note here? It reminds me a little of Chergui by Serge Lutens. Whats even more glorious than it having a high end niche quality as well as long lasting is that it comes from another time and space and you can smell that. Its like having a little piece of history you can wear. If you like anything vintage and like not so much standing out but like being different from the crowd, this is for you. It is a beautiful creation and am so glad and proud to have it in my collection. As long as I can, I will have this among my favorite loves ;)

nero77
nero77

A dark, sexy beauty... (review for the vintage extrait).

There are a few fragrances in the world, that provoke such a strong response that you go "wow" when you first smell them. For me, Habanita does this straight away.

I find this a fascinating and utterly deep and intoxicating fragrance. It always evokes emotions in me when I try it. The story goes that the formula was discovered by a chemist working at Molinard in Grasse around 1921, and they released it as a fragrance to perfume women's cigarette papers. Three years later, it was released as a women's perfume in it's own right.

What this is, is a dark, earthy, smoky, deep vanilla fragrance. It's like if Shalimar were a heavy smoker almost! The interesting thing is though, is that there is no Tobacco in this at all! Many people get the smell of old dusty perfume and leather mixed with tobacco. But the real effect of tobacco here is a dark, smoky vetiver, a very dry grassy root which smells of earth and dust. This is mixed with a strong leather note, and with resins, orris root, heliotrope and vanilla. There is also a very faint hint of rose, jasmine and even a dried raspberry note.

The immediate impression I get of this is the 1920's jazz clubs. This is almost the smell of the air in those places. Women's perfume (not like today, this is the opulent, dark amber, rose & vanilla type), mixed with the smell of tobacco in the air and makeup etc. It's so evocative for me. Very deep, very dark, very noir. You can imagine slim young 1920's women with short, dark hair and ruby-red lipstick seducing rich men at the bar, the jazz music reaching a high tempo in the background, cocktails and golden lights, the trail of smoke from women with cigarette holders dancing in the limelight. This is such a "bad girl" type fragrance! In my mind I imagine a very elegantly dressed young woman, red lipstick, black dress, perfect hair, talking to a smartly dressed man at a bar... whispering into his ear, slowly seducing him, and him being totally under her spell with every look from her eyes, and every word she says.

To me this has such a very deep, dark, sensual aura about it. It's sweet but it's earthy and slightly dirty. It's from the era where women smoked and drank as a sign of rebellion. But it's still feminine, just in a dark, bold, powerful and confident way.

I have not tried newer formulations, just this vintage extrait. But what a beauty this is! I have never found another fragrance that stirs up so much emotion for me. The closest thing I would compare this to is Tabac Blond by Caron, also an Ambery, Powdery Tobacco-like fragrance, and with hints of something like Shalimar, but more mysterious. This is such an intriguing one, it's like a dancer that is always tempting you, she's so intriguing that you want to come closer, but you can't, she's almost forbidden. There's nothing you can do but sit and watch her do her dance, mesmerised... until the end.

I sometimes struggle to put into words such an intriguing experience. I would encourage anyone to seek this beauty out. Again it is a fragrance which sets a certain mood... and one which commands a certain behaviour from you. Me, I wear it only when dressed in black, and in top style. Leather, Amber, Vanilla, dry, smoky Tobacco-like Vetiver, if this were released today it would be considered a high-end niche fragrance (like Killian's Back to Black). This was so ground-breaking to me that when I smelt it I was instantly transported to another time and place... it's really just something else! I sincerely hope they never discontinue this one, and I want other people to experience this. Like a piece of history in a bottle... and totally wearable even today. Old, and also so powerful it's almost modern. A perfume which is to me so utterly mysterious and complex. Mesmerising!

Sherihan
Sherihan

I have a 25ml edt spray bottle, it looks from the 80's version as I tell from the look of the bottle(not sure). Literally smells like Parfum, not edt !!! AMMAZING, one spray on my arm and the room filled with vanilla storm, OMG, my nose punched. I also tested a tester from the latest formula, and it is not the same, I prefer the older one. By the way I'm happy the bottle was well kept and smells fresh and nice. I think 3 sprays on the neck in different places are enough for a full night out.

lizakaya
lizakaya

I know this fragrance is well loved by many, but I don't get the complexities and wonderful notes of peach and orange blossom, oak moss amber or musk. I get baby powder. On my skin this is straight up baby powder. It doesn't smell bad at all, it's lovely. But not complex enough on my skin to warrant a full bottle or even another decant.

Her Excellency
Her Excellency

Hi everyone,
I'm dying to get a bottle of the edt of Habanita. Anyone willing to find their unwanted bottle a new home?

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

it's sad that the beautiful honeyed leather, tobacco leaves accord drizzled in vanilla are preceeded with a bug spray top note lol!!
seriously the opening of habanita edt is more or less always verging on bug spray/ sour mossy note. it ruined for many of my friends who tried my habanita, only to be shocked that it smelled so warm and inviting half an hour later!
so u too dont be off-put by the first few minutes, habanita gets better. But still a tad too dry and weird.

chrisndema
chrisndema

I don't quite noe what to make of it. Its so heady and strong. This is going in the region of glorified air freshner. Or maybe i'm not used to leather in my perfumes.

Maodo
Maodo

I would love to try Habanita EDT before purchase it. The discription sounds terribly interesting. Who can help me? I live in Europe.
Please send me a private message.

Edit:
Grazie Italian Fragranisto, for your more than kindly gesture!!!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Gorgeous. A herbal, bitter chypre with a smoky and soapy soul, resinous notes, spices (cloves?) and a humid, dark bouquet of dense and crisp flowers, all wrapped in a truly impressive leather accord – rich, dry, brown, smoked, stout. This is the explosive opening of this great scent, a black fog coming from a time machine which takes you back in time straight into the bed of a 1920's naughty flapper. Initially it's almost all about smoke and leather with a bold, raw animalic and musky accord, plus a soapy powdery side which will eventually emerge better later on, completed by a pungent herbal-aldehydes accord. The blend is raw but sensual, austere but luscious, dry but softened by a heavenly and at the same time, funereal powdery-talcum side. Plus it is also rather modern in its simplicity, as it's much straightforward, crude, less opulent and less aldehydated than other classic "old countess" chypres. I'd say it's also much more androgynous and less predictably "feminine" - it is, but in a modern way, and that is why it's perfectly great for a man too. The leather base is among the most prominent accords from the very beginning until the very end, so you've really plenty of time to enjoy it, and you surely will: this is a truly powerful and nuanced leather accord, smoky, animalic, mossy, crisp, dusty, earthy... together with the urine-animalic accord, the herbs, the narcotic spices and the sumptuous powdery-flower humid note it creates pure gloomy, aristocratic, decadent and utterly refined sexuality. After a while the flowers emerge with more power and clarity, lowering the dark and austere "rawness" of the scent and brightening it with a gentle dash of soapy talcum, always gloomy in a way, but lighter and brighter. Put some lipstick and garters on Knize Ten, that's Habanita. Brilliant!

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

I predicted I would love this fragrance by the notes, and I was right!

This fragrance is certainly "old-timey", almost medieval, but it's just feminine enough to be lady-like, while retaining its badass qualities! That being said, it's still a unique, kinda freaky little fragrance.

The initial blast is "WOW, WHAT IS THAT - IS THAT BARBEQUE SAUCE? BURNING RUBBER? FORMALDEHYDE? FRESH TAR?" and I can imagine it freaking some people out.

Five to ten minutes later, that disappears, and you're left with a long lasting, softer, leathery, powdery vanilla. It's comforting to wear, and something I'm going to have it on constantly this winter!

After testing this theory on a few (somewhat unwilling, one being my other half) subjects... this fragrance definitely reacts differently with different skin chemistry. My skin pulls more of the powdery bits out of the fragrance, where on my boyfriend it's pure burnt rubber. Try before you buy!

StinkySally
StinkySally

Habanita reminds me, in the best possible way, of an old perfume found in grandma's trunk, along with the love letters from the man she didn't marry. Poor grandpa ...

It's leathery, vaguely tobacco-y, sultry, deeply and dryly sweet. A scent that has secrets.

Gently dark, warm, rich, perhaps for taking a wee nap under a sable wrap in the back of one's Daimler.

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

Such a shame i was avoiding Habanita for so long. I was afraid it'd be another oldfashion scent. Well, it's not.
Vanilla leather masterpiece that's how i see it. Very powdery and sweet. Wonderful quality where 1 spray too much can cause nausea instead of miracle.

jeannette_84
jeannette_84

I just bought a bottle of this beauty! Very sexy, IMO unisex.. Love it!

bluemlein
bluemlein

THIS is a translation of Alicja's review: A wonderful aroma, full of warmth and madness. Strong. I love it. This is my story :)

Animato
Animato

Such a beautiful fruity and leathery fragrance!

Usually I dont really care for sweet and fruity scents, I think scented candles are to blame, but this I feel is very sensual and feminine. And of course, last for hours and hours, just becoming more and more soft and snuggly on skin.

I might get a little bit of powder, but the overall feel I get it smoth leather, warm and cozy vanilla powder and fruit. Sadly I can't identify if there is any tobacco or flowers in there. But let's blame that on my lack of experience and knowlegde in the matter.

It is extremly sweet and soft on me, fit for summer nights or colder weather.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

danaklein
danaklein

Pretty amazing, but really masculin and shockingly strong perfume. Great classic!

Alicja
Alicja

Cudowny zapach, pełen ciepła i szaleństwa. Mocny. Uwielbiam go. To moja bajka:)

Red Theodora
Red Theodora

To tell the truth, when I first sprayed on the EDT I purchased on Ebay I felt assaulted. I was choked by a cloud of hairspray alcohol. I thought " Oh, my God, what have they sent me". I have been meaning to try Habanita for a while now. An oriental with fruity flourishes and leather. That has to be some kind of wonderful. Had I made a horrible mistake, or was it a bad bottle? Luckily, the bug spray dissipated in a few moments and it got better. Actually, the drydown is much better. I do like my little bottle of EDT, but I am thinking I might try the EDP as well.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

My sample arrived yesterday afternoon and I'd ordered a bottle before breakfast this morning. I think I'm going to need the whole bottle to sort this one out. Yesterday I started with a small dab on the arm and was immediately hit in the face with a powder puff. It took me on this journey from baby powder to ashtray while some delicate florals lurked in the background. Kind of a vintage Emeraude meets Bandit mix up. Then today I applied a more typical dose and I'm definitely getting the Shalimar comparisons. None of these fragrances are my kind of thing. But Habanita is more than the sum of the comparisons. It's a shape shifter and the florals are never really there but alway striking chords in the background. It's beautiful and mysterious with a sweet vanilla that somehow ties it all together.
A masterpiece and a must try!

sniif
sniif

A soft dry cloud of talcum powder and the leather/tobacco people are talking about. Surprisingly sweet, in an inedible talc way. Towards the end it gets less dense, almost fluffy but never warm, personal, and definately not sensual. Although I like Habanita for its weirdly dark take on talcum powder, I won't buy it for its dated feel and lifelessness.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

The smell of European antiquity, made cool again. Here's the thing: as a guy who is an occasional wearer of Royal Copenhagen, it is abundantly clear to me that RC is based on Habanita. Ignore notes lists and any cross-comparisons you might want to make, and just compare the two by nose. RC has a sharp and enduring lavender note that Habanita clearly lacks, and Molinard's composition is more complex and a smoother blend. But they're both very dry, floral, spicy, powdery scents. And they both handle their style the same way. Just talking about Habanita now - think of all the sweet and rich flowers available, ylang, heliotrope, tuberose, rose, violet, etc. Taper the sweetness down to a murmur. Eliminate any dewey greenness entirely. Replace with raspy, bone-dry powdered petals. Throw a pinch of tobacco in there. A healthy dose of cold iris. Clove, and Mitsouko-style oakmoss, very terse and bitter. To clinch the beauty of it, put a little dribble of raspberry in the drydown, let it peek through about two hours into wear, and then recede again into the mist.

That's Habanita. Sultry, modern, a woman moving through time.

hekkycatz
hekkycatz

I adore this perfume. It is odd and wonderful. Like a night in a night club.

christianne1
christianne1

One of the most delicious oriental vanilla dry downs ever. Creamy, powdery, peachy but with a oriental punch. Incredibly unique, smells like no other. I think a lot of people miss out on this little piece of heaven because the opening is pretty potent and sometimes even has an ever so slight gasoline or chemical smell initially (depending on which version it is). I know, yikes...but for me just a little patience brings me to something wickedly delicious and addicting....a real all day long wrist sniffer. If you told me it was $500 a bottle I wouldn't blink. It is a spellbinding and very high quality fragrance.

The dry down is so sexy and the vanilla/almond from the heliotrope mixed with the other notes gives it an almost honey like smell...but without the sickly honey punch that makes some true honey type scents unwearable for me. This smells like the way I WANT honey notes to smell if that makes sense. Mix that with the dark peach, powder and oriental notes and you get something that will stop people in their tracks. I have actually heard "good God!!"

I don't really get much smoke or leather, it is very slight and just enough to keep Habanita from being too sweet or headache inducing. The floral aspects are downplayed to me, this is not a "floral" fragrance...for me, this is all about that incredible well blended Oriental, semi gourmand, sensual fruity vanilla dry down....which is heaven on earth.

Habanita isn't a perfume, it is an experience. A never ending evolution from start to finish. It isn't for the tame or mild or meek. But the dry down is so much tamer and more wearable than I expected. It is like bad girl meets powdery innocence. But Habanita does make me feel a bit like a bad gal for the day. Even if only in the daydreams in my mind. Habanita is probably my favorite fragrance of all time.

kyl77
kyl77

Habanita was originally created in the early 1920's to perfume cigarettes. Today it stands as one of the great oriental fragrances of all time. I love how the peachy top notes mingle seemlessly with the heavier notes of leather and vanilla. Strong and unique, Habanita is a welcome change from the light, fruity florals that seem par for course these days.

sultaria
sultaria

This review is for the version shown above in the rounded Lalique bottle. I was blinded by all of the positive reviews for this fragrance and bought it without testing it first. I wanted to love this perfume because of the rich history behind it, and the negative experience I had with it won't stop me from buying other Molinard perfumes. It is unfair that any review deviating from the general positive vibe gets deleted from this page. I strongly believe that others need to be informed about possible negative results when buying blindly, so I will try again. :)

Lets start off on a positive note. This is indeed a quality fragrance, meaning that the longevity and silage of this perfume are spectacular IF you like the scent.

Unfortunately, whenever I wore this perfume people always commented that it smelled like Windex or bug spray. Yes, this could just be my body chemistry, in which case I must warn other users against buying it blindly because it could very well smell this way on you. Habanita is an incredibly strong powdery fragrance. It is a huge blast of baby powder, a bit of fruit, and something very synthetic I cannot correctly identify. I am not able to detect leather or vanilla, unless the powdery note is actually vanilla. Some people comment on this smelling of tobacco, but it smells nothing of the sort which makes sense given that there is absolutely no tobacco note in this. This is all powder and fruity chemicals to my nose, which is indeed very disappointing because I was expecting something more complicated.

If you are sensitive to strong fragrances, you may want to avoid this because it is truly one of the strongest heaviest in-your-face fragrances you will come across. If you have an authentic fresh bottle of Habanita, I highly doubt you will be complaining about it not being strong enough. Lovers of heavy orientals might appreciate this fragrance. But for me personally, it is just too strong and smells unpleasantly of baby powder and chemicals. I hope I have better luck with other Molinard fragrances as I have a lot of respect for this perfume house and know that there must be a Molinard out there for me somewhere.

Q80
Q80

i remember the story behind this scent goes back in the early 1900s, when women sells cigarettes on a white board held on their hands with a white stripe around their necks, men back then (as they said) cares much about their ladies, so they go out and buy cigarettes from those women around the streets, and when they finish smoking they place their fingers in a small perfume pot on the white board that the cigarette ladies held to get rid of the cigarette smell. so imagine the smell of the perfume pot from hand to another hand, it brings up the smell of cigarette, skin, and perfume. so according to that people wanted that smell, so molinard brought it to life (as i guess that they were the ones who invented that perfume pot... im not sure though). personally i didn't like it much at the beginning, but then it turned quite ok.

be careful, i've sprayed it on my white shirt and it left a yellowish spot, so be careful.

Femme Darkly
Femme Darkly

So I'm curious after reading all of the reviews that indicate this perfume more of a heat-intolerant type of perfume... would someone possibly not recommend this to someone who "runs hot" or radiates more heat than the typical person?

arkantus
arkantus

My review is also about EDT edition pictured above. It's unique! I never had such perfumy experience before Habanita. She' s a hooligan with a long thin mouthpiece, shiny red lips and short dress, dancing in a dixie rythm, drinking expensive cogniac more than the gentlemen around, she is rebel, "don't give a damn" lady, mysterious and lonely... Habanita on my skin fits like a leather glove, after the first hard wave of sharp and alcholic smell begins a sweet journey into the flavour of classy pipe tobaco, vanilla cake, burnt sugar, mellow cogniac, old-fashioned powder... Habanita tells stories, she is dark, deep, warm, I prefer to be with her in a very cold, windy weather, when i feel her lika a cozy black leather jacket. Following the experience of a lady posted review bellow, I perfumed my leather jacket and I can't stop enjoying it. In spite of accepted opinion, my intent is to wear Habanita daily and almost everywhere - ofcource, during the winter. In brief I'm spellbound by this hot Havana lady :)

Le_Coeur_Gothique
Le_Coeur_Gothique

Habanita is a phenomenon in stultifying the lot of pretentious super-duper niche fragrances which ask for an arm and a leg to grant you the favor of having them. She embarrasses the hell out of them! She is the mulatta step-sister of Molinard de Molinard. The black sheep and the disgrace of an otherwise noted noble French family. She is how I imagine Tia Dalma would smell, during her ventures along with The Pirates of the Caribbean... A nasty shrew that grabs your throat and utters YOUR last rites as you stand shivering in shock and awe! A scent that would stop The Kraken dead in its tracks! And she surely knows a trick or two. After all, she is around for about a century now... And rumours have it that she is still haunting the narrow, cobblestone alleys around Victor Hugo Boulevard in Grasse, where she was born, in order to find the chance to whisper to her siblings: "DO NOT be like me, for you shall always be alone..."

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Smells the best 2-4 hours after applying, the aldehydic strong smell settles and out comes the vanilla! This part I like enough to suffer through the first hours.

liiva
liiva

What can I say.. It is really balsamic, it gives some sweet, warm and syrupy feeling. One of perfume who I do not planning to wear, but I really respect it. This perfume is very classic and I think that this can be very friendly with leather in colder season.

lovingthealien

Historically, this was developed to perfume cigarettes. There's something so transporting to me about 1920s fragrances, and I am absolutely fascinated by what a cigarette perfumed with this would smell and taste like. I wouldn't dare spray the current formula on a cigarette!

Well, today I found what that would be like. Although perfumed cigarettes are no longer legal here in the US, cigars are under a different set of regulations. At a cigar lounge I asked around about perfumed cigarettes. Something clicked in the clerk's brain, and she led me to a box of small cigars. Acid C-Note cigars - and they are exactly what I was looking for.

Try them out if you are curious!

Abendlicht
Abendlicht

Very powdery... Leather... I don't really feel for wearing it myself but I did spray it on my motorcycle leather jacket.... I still can smell it after 3800km! It is an interesting smell. Sadly, like many classic fragrances, other fragrances have been inspired by it, including car deodorizer.... I didn't like the big powder of it at first, but at night I sprayed a bit on my arm and my nose reached for it as I fell asleep. It is comforting. It's a really good quality perfume. I also own Molinard de Molinard which I wear often and has nothing to do with this, except the quality...

Chocobaby
Chocobaby

Wow! This fragrance packs a punch! I barely sprayed a tiny spritz, and 10 hours later, I can still smell it. Amazing longevity.
This is a very full bodied scent, with heavy smokiness and powder. I can smell the leather but it is a very thick heavy leather, not like the one in Kelly Caleche. It reminds me of Vivienne Westwood Boudoir, a deep, dark sexiness, although Boudoir smells "dirtier". The dry down is warm vanilla and amber, with some of the "dustiness"". This is a special occasion scent, not something to be worn everyday, definitely not for work. I tested this in the midst of summer. Wonder how this would be in colder weather.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

My initial reaction when I first tested Habanita, I took a whiff and it opened my eyes with surprise. This is an exciting perfume, to say the least. It stands alone amongst many that have been marketed. It is a unique fragrance that cannot be duplicated or counterfeited in any way.
It's sensual, it's dark, it's smoky, it's leather, it's powder, it's rubber, it's a sharp assault in your face that drys down to an unusual scent that's very difficult to describe but absolutely one of a kind. On me, there are no flowery notes. It drys down to a powder that wraps itself around leather, tobacco, musk, oakmoss and benzoin. It's warm and smoldering. Not a warm that you wrap yourself in a blanket with warm. Habanita exudes a sexual warmth. It's musky in its own way, not a typical musk that one expects that is so common on the market today.
Each time I wear it, I pick up different nuances of this quaint perfume and I am looking forward to wearing it in the different seasons. This was a blind buy for me and I am delighted with it. It's a red lipstick, dark eyeliner and boots kind of perfume. Others won't recognize it, which is a good thing. You'll stand alone and be remembered. It's a wonderful addition to my perfumes.
I don't reach for Habanita very regularly. I can't even say I wear it that often. But when the mood strikes me, it's a frag that is so unique, it I know my entire demeanor is different. This perfume is meant for a person with a zest and passion for what they are about to do because it is a strong fragrance for a woman that can pull it off. Definitely not for the weak, not for a wallflower, and not for the shy. If you want to be remembered, and not necessarily in a good girl way, then this perfume is one to try. After all, how many perfumes do you know that smell of leather, smoke and benzoin, tempered with woods and moss notes? What an incredulous combination. This is a power-house scent, but not for power in the boardroom. It's for power elsewhere.
Whenever I wear it, men seem to be hypnotized and comment on it. Strangers even. This is the one fragrance I'll wear that strange men will ask me about, comment on or want to get closer. Habanita lays low but is the strongest, most compelling perfume I own.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Spicy sweet at the opening with a waft of leather. The sweetness and the leather carry all the way through, a very animalistic composition. Gives the impression of smoking in a dark bar drinking amaretto on the rocks. Seductive, warm, enticing, a bit dirty. Very strong -- a little dab'll do ya.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

A generous fellow fragrantican included a terrific sample of Habanita in our swap. It gave me rather a shock! As I was expecting a dark and leathery aura, powdered vanilla goodness came as a surprise indeed.

Something intriguing kept me coming back for more, even while I was far from comfortable with the ( for me ) heavy sweetness. And then......... a seasonal miracle occured! The weather turned to spring, and all of a sudden those cloying notes became a deep and balmy resin, just touched with cigar smoke!!!

Now I am haunted by my stupidity in not buying a bottle of this lyrical and sultry beauty AT ONCE. If anyone should care to swap or sell their bottle, I'm a happy candidate!

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Too much leather, smoke and burning rubber smell in there for me. Smells almost "dusty". I would have preferred more rose, rasberry or vanilla in it to off-set the heaviness. It is catwoman dressed in her full gear smoking her cigarette in a musty corner of a grungey, dimly lit bar. lol

aromaminx
aromaminx

I had read so much about this fragrance from many varied sources....here ,basenotes blogs and facebook. I really needed to try ,so kept eye out. Received a 100ml bottle with 40ml remaining. Oh isn't the bottle divine!!!!!! The "rubbery texture" is great. Now to the fragrance itself....Fabulous......
On me ,it sits comfortably even garnered compliments,happily for 5ish hours,

Habanita is not a fragrance you can just spray on your wrist, sniff and decide if you like it. You really have to give it a proper wear. I feel the same way about Mitsouko.
Like many other pre-80's fragrances Habanita takes some time to develop and is very nuanced.
Habanita opens a bit harsh and medicinal. My bottle predates the oakmoss ban. Very mossy. As it begins to mellow I get subtle vanilla, benzoin, lilac and leather.
Give it another 30 minutes and the powdery orris root and heliotrope kick in with a bitter twist from the bergamot.
Once completely dried down Habanita smells like leather, tobacco and bubblegum.
I'm a fan.

nikitajade
nikitajade

First initial spray I am hit full in the face with powder. Like an angry nanny has just slammed down the Johnsons&Johnsons again. ARGGGGHHHHH. Luckily, as it dries down the baby powder disappears and this smoky, leathery gorgeous fruit and spice appears. I'll just say the nanny apparently moonlights as a dominatrix and leave it at that.

poppyvintage
poppyvintage

Heaven`s sake! This is exactly what I am looking for.
What a lovely classic scent! It has a slightly smoky & leathery note when you first spray, but that note dissipates leaving you with a powdery-woody base with a hint of vanille. It is hard to describe, but Habanita is a must have masterpiece if you are a confident 30s woman. I love the bottle too!

wendyyparty

I personally find this classic EDT more charming than the beautiful, untamed, reformulated EDP (though I must admit the new bottle & ad are OH so very stunning #dreamy eyes)

I guess the strong sandalwood in the EDP makes it off-putting for me. Yes it emphasizes sweetness and soften the aggressiveness I get from the original EDT, but it also ruins the sense of "crisp-ey-ness" I feel from the EDT that I really adore.

Needless to say, this is still my favorite version of HABANITA ;)

kabelaced
kabelaced

I didn't smell leather in this, but a smokiness that's powdery sweet. I dislike powder intensely, but something tempers this powder so it isn't one-dimensional (I guess that is the vetiver?). I find that interesting, so I'll be trying this again, perhaps in the summer.

freddinos
freddinos

As others have said, yes it is leathery-dusty-powdery with just a touch of vanilla. Yes, at first it is so sharp it numbs your nostrills. But I love Habanita. The same way I love a classic houndstooth Chanel deux pieces, but would never wear it. If there was a perfume museum, Habanita would be on a pedestal in the main gallery

boruvka44

What a masterpiece. I almost doomed it at the first sniff, for the sweet powder. But man, how i´m happy i didn´t.
Just the history and idea of Habanita is stunning (...Molinard introduced Habanita in 1921, not as a personal fragrance but as a product to scent cigarettes. It was available in scented sachets to slide into a pack of cigarettes, or in liquid form: "A glass rod dipped in this fragrance and drawn along a lighted cigarette will perfume the smoke with a delicious, lasting aroma") Amazing!
Even the Lalique flacon hits the nail.
Habanita smells velvety smooth and incendiary. Maybe it's the balance (and thrill) between its main attributes - woman (lipstick, powder, rose) + man (tobacco, leather, motor oil). It has some dark side, some mystery. Iit´s not only pretty scent and nothing more. That´s the kind of perfumes I love and that is what I´m missing in recent producton. This woman is not sweet dull doll. She is more likely a person with bad past, real, nothing phony. And the man would die for her.

wendyyparty

Habanita has survived through the power of time since 1921 and is now called "the most tenacious fragrance in the world" ...all for a reason

Because it's worth it!

Christinasegal123
Christinasegal123

Powdery , leather, musky sweetie, old-fashioned but oh so sexy. i am fascinated! i might be able to love this perfume. It reminds me a bit of Bal a Versailles, does anyone else smell the similarity? Two of my fav's

antfarm
antfarm

Habanita, with its oily leather and dry, old-fashioned, dead-smelling florals first brings to mind a plague mask. I think plague masks are fascinating and historically iconic, so I mean this as a compliment. The opening of Habanita transfixes me. It puts me in the mood to go look at morbid surgical instruments in museum displays.

Sadly, after a half hour Habanita becomes an overpowering sour powder bomb that makes my eyes water and nose itch. I keep a mini of this because I like the bottle so much. If there is one thing Habanita is not, it's "pleasant" or "boring". Sorry, that was two things.

isabella211
isabella211

So, I have owned this completely unique and intriguing fragrance for 2 years now. In those 2 years, guess how many times I've worn it? NONE. I've, on occassion, spritzed the tiniest of dabs on at night, just as I'm about to fall asleep, then i forget all about it for a year. Maybe I've just been scared. This is definitely NOT a safe fragrance, especially in the cheap, synthetic candy world we live in today.

Well last night, I was feeling a bit nostaligic, vintage and dark and opened my perfume cabinet and there this little bottle sat, staring me in the face. Naturally, because I think this bottle is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I spritzed it on, and climbed into bed. WOW. I have always enjoyed this fragrance, but only now, am I truly appreciating it. Talk about a POWERHOUSE. I found PerfumedBrunette's review so intriguing and the more I read, the more I opened my heart (and my nose) to this masterpiece.

What is it about this prefume that is making me feel giddy, sensual and completely confident, all at the same time? It could be the simple fact that it was created in 1921, an era I should have lived and am always searching to recreate in fragrance(although I'm pretty sure I did live there, in my past life, and is why I have such a strong love/connection for all things Deco). Is it the fact that this bottle is the perfect representation of the juice contained with in? I mean, just look at it! Black and gold and Deco all over! How much do we love that Deco Siren on the bottle??!! Yes, its all of those things, but it's also the fact that I am litereally transported back in time. A time when Chinese silk screens lined beautful, dark and opulent lounges. I can place myself in this lounge so easily. I am smoking opium from a hooka, perfectly draped in a deep saphire blue velvet dress, wearing balck lacey lingerie underneath and dripping in Deco jewels on top. Powder puffs scented of dark amber sit on top of a gorgeous vanity, in the womens waiting room. Ladies touching up their lipstick, powdering their noses in the hazey mirror of the smokey air. That's what this smells like to me. Dark powdery amber, laced with resins and lipstick, soaked into velvet and warmed on the skin. A haze of 1920's glamour and Pure.Genius.

So today, for the first time, I am going to wear my beatifull Habanita in public and go about my business, knowing that I have a very special, very sexy secret. You will most likely get a whiff of this secret (there's no getting around that) but you'll never guess what it is, unless of course, you are like me and are privey to the special knowledge of this intoxicating creation...and if that's the case, then I think we should be friends.

P.S. My husband adores this on me...all the 3 times I think he's actually smelled it. He finds it arousing. That should have sealed the deal for me long ago.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

This olfactory experience is a trip to a sophisticated bar which is opulently adorned with leather settees and dim lights.
A beautiful woman sits demurely smoking a long havana. Her lips are red and she has a mane of dark wavy hair.
She sits aloof, simply drinking in the atmosphere and hasn't a care in the world.
She exudes an air of class and every man in the bar eyes her from afar, wishing she could be his.
She belongs to no one but herself and as she gets up to go, she tosses her head, allowing her hair to cascade demurely down her elegant back.
Habanita, you are one of a kind, a masterpiece and I shall adore you forever.

samer007
samer007

the more i dive in the perfume world, the more my tastes verge toward more opulence, distinction, warm oriental notes, deep dark gothic scents. Opium, poison, tubereuse criminelle, alamut and M7 are fragrances that speak to me.
yesterday at the counter i tried dozens of perfumes from orientals to new bestsellers to niche... none stood out until i sprayed Habanita... instantly i was in havana, the smell of leather, expensive cigars, sunkissed white and green flowers, warm skin... i fell in love. So different, sensual, dreamy. definitely a masterpiece and soon to be in my collection.
5 stars.

aveilhe
aveilhe

To my mind, a great leather fragrance has to strike a perfect balance between traditional masculine and feminine notes (and, like leather itself, most great leather scents are unisex). Habanita, along with Caron's Tabac Blonde and Chanel's Cuir de Russie, are masterpieces in the world of leather fragrances, and each one strikes this balance very adeptly.

What distinguishes Habanita is the predominant vetiver note. Vetiver (so hard to describe, but I would say it is nutty-grassy-woody) is a very common note in masculine fragrances, and it is both unusual and refreshing to find it used in such a pronounced way in Habanita -- a scent marketed to women!

Like Tabac Blonde, the leather note (cade/birch tar) hits you almost immediately and fades into the background relatively quickly. What comes next is so contradictory but so beautiful: a powdery, incense-like accord laced with rich, bitter, intoxicating vetiver.

The vetiver becomes more and more pronounced (it is tencious stuff!) during the dry down until all that is left (8+ hours later) is...you guessed it...vetiver. Needless to say, if vetiver is a note you are not fond of, then this might not be the leather for you.

Overall, I find Habanita very sultry. Oddly though, it also has an unexpected freshness that is difficult to pinpoint (perhaps the vetiver again?). Unlike Tabac Blond, which is more smoky, Habanita is more powdery and comforting. A truly stunning and unique take on leather!

Sassy1
Sassy1

I'm really glad I decided to try this lovely flash from the past. It's everything I could wish for.
A lovely smokey rose vanilla,I actually find it to be the middle ground between the best parts of Arpege and the seductiveness of Rochas Femme.

The top is a twin to Arpege but where Arpege goes horribly wrong and starts to sour, Habanita kicks her lovely feet and breaks through the surface with a rose colored clove that just gets better and better.
And the leather here lends a lovely soft dustiness instead of the stale tobacco I usually get.

No ladies, there is nothing dated about Habanita at all. Does she remind you of smoky speakeasy nights and sultry diva's? Most definately. But this charmer is an oriental gem with no expiration date.

wendyyparty

Warning for first time sniffers: You don't like her? Please don't give her away so soon!

Try Habanita more than once to really get to know her, spray on different parts of your body, or in different weathers and environments. This arrogant woman has all beauty one could imagine so sometimes you have to treat her right and you probably will be rewarded immensely.

I blind bought Habanita from ebay (after the reviews here of course! LOL) The first time I tried her I didn't like her at all. I love the opening but after few minutes all I got was only burnt rubber smell, so heavy and it dominated the other notes completely. I was so disappointed, but I didn't sell her away at that time... something told me that I have to give her another chance.

So one day when the weather started to cool down, I decided to try her again...this time spraying on my belly instead of my wrist. I remember putting my hope up pretty high that I started to worry after 2 minutes of spraying as she started to dry down. Ok, the leather was still there but strangely it smell MUCH better this time. Not "heavy", less "burnt rubber", and more "newly waxed leather" I was really thrilled!

Yet that's not the best part, Habanita has rewarded me more when she added in the best leathery powdery whiff of crisp heliotrope (my FAV!), light musky florals and minus my detested oakmoss that it's just barely there! I was charmed, hopelessly in love, even deeper than those fragrances I love at first sniff.

If Habanita is a woman she must be a scorpio; sexy, confident, arrogant, very smart and has a pure heart. She's the one your're gonna hate to the bone, or fall sickly head over heels for, there's nothing in between.

ian85

I didn't see any men's review for it... I think Habanita suits a man very well if moderate sprays. Of course is the opening very strong and odd. But wait the drydown: it will be magic with vanilla and amber...and sexy. If you assume it, this one is for you.

Fresh&wild
Fresh&wild

I bought it unsniffed after reading so many good reviews.i wad expecting to find something deep and mysterious like an old library. Unfortunely on me it smells like old dusty powder;just like Agent Provocateur smells on my skin.these two perfumes are not for me.i waited long time to see a change but nothing happened!!! I really wanted to like Habanita but apparently She doesn't like me.

shannonny
shannonny

In a phrase: What a gorgeous disappointment of expectation!

Tracking my package from The Perfumed Court and samples finally arrived today. The first one I wanted to try was Habanita edt because of all the intense reviews. As it hit my skin, I had the same reaction (in my limited experience) that I had with Rochas Femme: I must have this.

I'm training my nose to pick up notes. Before I opened my laptop to read the notes I wrote: Vanilla, Patch, Orange...[a little later as it began to change]...Incense (smoke), Wine, Jasmine...[Then] Cinnamon, Oakmoss?, Resin. I was fairly proud when I saw that my nose was fairly accurate. As usual, I picked up no fruit notes. I guess I'm not sweet enough to develop fruit!

The patchouli I sensed was probably a mix of the bergamot / orris root: a bright, clean opening very predominant at first spray. But almost as immediately I picked up the vanilla and jasmine, and what I termed "Wine" must be my nose's interpretation of the rose and lilac interplay--heady and dewy, like a sweet warm zinfandel.

Now at drydown, there is just a lovely, creamy, musky aroma, yet with a charming herbal aspect that keeps it almost light, yet still quite rich--I can smell it rising from the inner part of my arms where I sprayed it, which is unusual for me, because even the toughest scents give up after an hour on my arid skin.

The leathery vibe other people pick up I just don't get--which makes me wonder if I'm crazy, since it's the starring role in most reviews here. (Come to think of it, I sell leather shoes and handbags, and I can't smell them anymore, either. I bet my leather-smeller's broken.)

I'm kind of glad, because some of the review were off-putting with the darkly sexual imagery. I'm not a sexpot (though I have enjoyed sex as much as the next woman) or a femme fatale (gales of laughter). I'm a fairly standard-issue gal who loves beautiful, and often beautifully unusual, things.

And in the final analysis, that's all that Habanita is for me, or on me: A very, very beautiful thing. If you love rich and well-blended perfume--alto rather than soprano accords--please test Habanita. And for Heaven's sake, you certainly don't need to own (or imagine) a leather bustier and riding crop, or even black-lace lingerie, to do so. You're just as gorgeous wearing Habanita in your cotton briefs and muumuu, my dear.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Well, it's gotta be my nose, because almost everyone on here loves it. I don't know what particular ingredient in this upset my stomach, but I couldn't tolerate it. Before I scrubbed I found the leather a litte bit scratchy and raw, and I usually like leathers. For goodness' sake, do not take any notice of my reaction if you love this (and please don't thumbs down me for giving my honest opinion), but I would add it might be worth trying before you buy.

wendyyparty

I accidentally erased my previous comment while using mobile internet; so I'll post it again, with some edition.

********

Habanita is such a BIG TEASER,

The most complicated smell I've ever come across. She introduced herself in sweet, fresh, delightful feminine manners...BUT it's not too long before she stripped off of her light floral dress into the hidden dark & nasty clinging leather suit. She would captivate you, tortured you like a real dominatrix, and you just couldn't help but yield to her eventually... After an hour, as the leather faded she might show some mercy and comforted you with the most beautiful ghost of heliotrope in rich smokey creamy powder.

Habanita never gets old...despite being one of the most classics, because, like MyNoirBeehive has commented, she is a smell of femme fatale, and we always have strong and charismatic women in any decade.

Habanita will surely drive people mad...both in a good way or the other way around.

CAUTION: This dominatrix woman is very sensitive to hot and humid environment so you'd better STRICTLY AND DEFINITELY USE HER IN COLD WEATHER ONLY

lupereira
lupereira

Well... what can I say? I bought 100ml bottle (based on reviews) , but it didn't work on my skin. I don't know if was because the heat (I live in Brazil). It becomes wonderfull only after six hours. Before this I smelled dirty and sweaty crotch, very embarrassing. Like using dated deodorant, or having "axillary problema" (colony of bacteria in the armpits), or something like that... So sad, cause after five, six hours, the vanilla comes pleasant. I gave to my sister and she loved.

aluhall
aluhall

I have the EDT and today is the second day I'm wearing it. I don't usually follow the rules of "night, day, fall, winter, etc.", I wear whatever I want on a particular day w/out knocking off everyone around me.

In my opinion this has a "right in your face" presence. It's bold and yells for attention. An hour later it has tempered down and all you want to do is sniff yourself and smile because you know you are... different(?). I love it! Mostly because I'm partial to unisex notes and because the leather smell drives me crazy. I do love the powdery note as well, I find it comforting.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who likes "safe" fragrances. :)

PS: I noticed that it smells divine on the skin, it doesn't work very well if sprayed on the clothes.

PerfumedBrunette
PerfumedBrunette

I am desperately, crazily, till-death-do-us-part, addictedly in love with this fragrance.

I stumbled upon an intriguing review of it somewhere online, by pure chance, while researching another fragrance which had the word "chypre" as a part of its name. The more I read, the more intrigued I became. I consulted the wonderful blog "Now Smell This" - they loved it. I hopingly flipped through the pages of L. Turin and T. Sanchez's "Perfumes - The A-Z Guide" for confirmation. Confirmation was promptly granted and my hopeful suspicions reinforced. Of course I had to read what my wonderful fellow perfume addicts had to say on this site, and I was delighted by their enthusiasm. The green light was on. I became convinced that I must try it, so I ordered a bottle. Something - a premonition perhaps - told me that I would soon be spellbound.

When it finally arrived, my Habanita did not disappoint. Far from it, it instantly transported me to the 1920s. I found myself in a smoky speakeasy in which dim light streamed from beautiful lamps of deep, rich color, and filtered through the visible, thick air. A care-free place filled after dark with so much desire to live, with songs played on a Victrola, with fragrances of the past one can only imagine, and with the unmistakable promise and abandon of the inimitable Roaring Twenties. The unparalleled elegance of that era was reaching a peak and permeated all art, fashion, architecture, furnishings, jewelry, and music; it is an elegance inextricably tied to a longing for an era one can only think of as the Original Good Old Days.

My smoky, leathery, heady Habanita captures that elegance and that longing so beautifully and masterfully. I want to say there is carnation and clove in there somewhere. But as soon as I think it, it elusively slips away and smiles a thin, sly smile at me as if to say, "You will never be able to define me in words. You can never describe me. But you can experience me, and you do experience me, and that experience is ever-changing, a never ending, always new and mysterious journey. So just enjoy me".

I am so smitten with this treasure from a bygone era, that my original bottle was soon joined by others. I won't disclose how many others; if I did, it would only reveal how head-over-heals in love I am with it. But I will say that I finally rest assured that only death indeed, and not a shortage of supply, can ever do us part.

Some fragrances deserve crazy abandon and irrational love. For me, this is the one.

cecyben
cecyben

Only one word: a "GEM" !!!

joliecat
joliecat

Oh, Habanita EDT ! How totally beautiful, dangerously sexy, yet comforting, and extremely long lasting ! VERY POWDERY, but it's a clean rich almost creamy powder, not baby powder.

Habanita is a master blend of deep vanilla, crispy fresh vetiver, spicy leather tanner oils, jasmine, rose, ylang -ylang, lilacs, and orange blossoms expertly smoothed together with a light blend of peach, bergamot and raspberry. A gentle touch of cedar tones down notes that would otherwise be too sweet. All of these notes swirl into a beautiful powdery cloud. Oakmoss and soft thick musk give Habinita excellent staying power.

Actually, leather itself has no smell until tanning oils are used on it to give it a fragrance. The tanner oils used in Habanita are smooth, ultra rich and sexy. Sometimes these tanner oils can give some people the impression of a 'tobbacco' or 'smokey' smell.....but in Habanita, this is an underlying fresh smell....not a burning tobbacco or an ashtray odor.

Habanita is easily a unisex fragrance. Sweet but not too sweet. Silage is strong for hours, then settles deep and close to skin. It lasts on skin, in hair, and in fabrics until you wash it off. Use Habanita sparingly. No need to drown in it, even though you might want to because it's so beautiful. A little goes a long long way.

Thanks to everyone for their reviews ! Everyone's thoughts are useful and appreciated, whether you like a fragrance or not. If not for ALL of you, I might never have experienced Habanita. Now Habanita is one of my all time favorites !

Violettera
Violettera

I had tested Habanita many times before but I couldn't appreciate her, until one day I put her on with many other perfumes in a perfume store. I left the store and I was driving home when I smelled something wonderful coming from my wrist. It was Habanita. I drove back and bought not only one, but two bottles, because the lady in the store told me that it is going to be discountinued.
What can I say about Habanita? I wear it all the time, from morning until the moment I go to bed. I wear it everywhere: the office, the club,the cinema, the restaurant. I am mad about her.
Habanita is complex, she doesn't reveal her full face at once, you have to be patient and you will be rewarded. Habanita is so feminite, so sexy, so mysterious, so warm, just like a leather jacket or a precious fur coat. She is unique, you can recognise her from a long distance. She works better in cold weather but she is marvelous all year round. She has a good sillage (not a monster one) and very good lasting. She is perfect, just perfect.

Ms S
Ms S

Powdery , leather, dark, bitter/sweetie, old-fashioned ,bizarre,woody, fruit, ambery,honey, sexy, strong , fascinante , I am in love with it and the bottle, uaaauuu, perfect and classic like the perfume.

MyNoirBeehive
MyNoirBeehive

A lot of lovely reviews for edt Habanita already! I'll just add by saying that I always feel like a femme fatale when wearing this one. Lovely for nights out in cold weather. Rock concerts. Beautiful glass bottle, a classic and much loved staple in my collection.

goldiloks
goldiloks

Habanita and myself are just getting to know eachother, but already she has taken me down memory lane. Used sparingly (a little goes a long looooong way), Habanita takes me back to my childhood, of my mother. Her leather handbag stuffed with cigarettes, Max Factor face powder, a small bottle of Youth Dew and bits of paper, maybe an old book - all these aromas mixed together - this is Habanita. It has a haunting quality to my nose, in a similar way to L'Heure Bleue, but I don't find it melancholy. This girl wears goth boots, a leather jacket and with Sisters of Mercy playing, she is winding her way through a smoke-filled room (pre-smoking ban of course, this is not a squeaky clean fragrance), a wry smile on her face. I absolutely love Habanita, and the journey she takes me on; she brings me out of myself, and I would recommend everyone try her on at least once ;)

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

Well well well, what do we have here? A Cougar in a bottle that's what!
Habanita is a woman on the prowl and she takes no prisoners. This lady holds her own and she knows what she wants.

Her darkness shines through quite suddenly drawing you in slowly and steadily. Just when you think you have a handle on her, she quickly changes into a cool, calm, and collected power player. You try to resist but it's too late. She has her claws in you and there's no backing out now.

She moves with stealth leaving the meek behind. She wants to dominate her audience and control their actions. All we can do is follow.

While I am not very good at detecting individual notes, I am a lover of woodsy notes that cast a powdery glow. Impressive to say the least. She is the leader of the Pack!

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

A gorgeous, classic perfume, classic as in Hedy Lamarr, Lauren Bacall, Dolores del Rio - a grown-up woman's fume. Spicy, strong, powdery, drying down to a wonderful sweet vanilla that clings to your clothes for days. It smells so expensive and costs so next to nothing that I'm tempted to buy a second bottle to make sure I never run out. Perfect for right now, as I sit by my woodburner, the last sunlight of a winter day gilding the trees outside.

Henriette
Henriette

Very complex and unpredictable: it opens strong with all the aromas you might expect. I do not detect a single note, just a multitude of hues. Then smoke, then leather, then vanilla, then powder. It's one of the most exquisite scents I have ever experienced. I do love complex scents and this one is certainly one of the most complex and ever evolving. It's so many scents in one: Lonestar Memories at times (for the smoke), Bandit at others (for the leather), Shalimar in other moments (for the vanilla), even Chanel N°5 (for the powder).
Quantity is crucial here more than for others: do not exaggerate, just a few well dosed spritzes and people around you instead of being annoyed will be charmed forever.

Hollie
Hollie

Yes!...I've discovered that Habanita is quite the dark little treasure! It just arrived in the mail yesterday and,I must say,I was pleasantly surprised. The initial application (yesterday) was..at first....a blast of dusty-waxy roses then somewhat quickly it morphed into a thick, warm smokey vanilla...laced with cigarrette smoke....then finally a long lingering baby powder swirled with incense.I really didn't get much in the way of leather. I tried it again this morning and the rosy greeting from yesterday was barely there(boo)....I kind of liked that..it gave it a "vintage cosmetic" smell. Today, it is still lovely but even smokier/spicier and even more vanilla ( like right from the pod...heavy...NOT fluffy.)Still not smellin' the leather...which is really ok with me. Is there such thing as an Oriental-Gourmand? Because I really want to devour my arm....it's like sipping the perfect cup of sweetened black tea....or chai...or something while puffing on an expensive cigarette(and I don't even smoke) I can't quite put my finger on it. I could wear this everyday..I really don't find it too heavy and on me, the projection is minimal.I've already worn it out and about and didn't experience that "oh-s%&t-this-stuff-is-too-strong-in-public" thing that can happen when you leave the house..if you know what I mean. That's probably just my skin as I often have to reapply my fragrances throughout the day. This stuff makes me want to get a fire crackin' in the fireplace, get cozy with a hot cup of something, light some candles and incense and fiddle with my Tarot deck. It's a fabulous Fallish/Wintery way to smell!
Just for the heck of it, I tried to "re-create" the smell of Habanita on my other arm using 1 spritz of Cabochard, 2 spritzes of Tabu, 3 of Toujours Moi and 2 of Chloe(to add that soapy/creaminess.) In my personal opinion, it comes pretty close. Habanita is most definitely a vintage smelling perfume and rightfully so. It isn't, however, "old" smelling...or out of date. Not to me anyway.
It's classic....dark,powdery,smokey,vanilla....just how I like it!
In the Perfume Guide, Luca Turin gives it four stars and names it's overall description as "Vetiver Vanilla" Personally, I'm not getting the vetiver much( I DO love vetiver though.)He does go on to say,however, that the the vetiver and vanilla juxtapose "in such a way that they both disappear and are replaced by something that is not the sum, more like the vector product of the two" I also love the way he describes it as being the "gorgeous hypothetical child" of Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe!
EDIT/UPDATE: I have to add to my last reveiw that after wearing Habanita for several hours the second time ( it was a very humid/wet/rainy/cold day) I detected something in the late stages of the drydown that somehow reminded me of bong water.....yes...you heard that right. Now...it's been a while since I've smelled bong water and I really did put alot of thought into what that "curious" note was that I was smelling....it perplexed me for a while until I it finally came to me. It was a dank, earthy, sour-ish sort of smell that had a hay/dead grass thread woven through it. Definitely something that had once been alive and green then transitioned on into something dry,resinous and smoked ( for lack of better description)....hence the "bong water" smell. After even more sniffing and thought, I've decided that I was smelling the elusive Vetiver.....makes sense. Oh...and....this actually added to my positive experience with Habanita. It took away nothing.

sherryxfilesfan
sherryxfilesfan

I don't get leather...which is really what I was hoping for. All I get is powder.... pure powder... nothing more. Oh well...the search for the perfect leather still continues.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I am an oriental lover and a spice lover so I thought I would like this one and went for it with a blind buy. Unfortunately I did not like it at all. I waited for spices, fruits, a peep of floral, anything to redeem what my nose was smelling. I am open to animalic scents generally but this one was so animalic and, to my nose, such a mess of conflicting scents on my skin it made me feel ill. I let it dry down hoping it would get better, but no. Did not happen. Maybe the vintage was great but the newer one, not for me!

Jacques Guerlain said that one of his perfumes smelled like the underside of his mistress. This one smells like the underside of a woman who hasn't bathed for a week and has had sexual relations with a couple of guys who also have not bathed recently. Rank and skank! I was really hoping to love this one, too, since it is cheap, but sigh, not to be.

Feel free to deem me a philistine but this one is too much for my poor nose.

P.S., my bottle went to someone who does love the scent, so it was appropriately adopted and "re-homed."

AngieGCarp

It is relatively inexpensive on Overstock.com and their shipping is 2.50. BUY IT! It is delicious! :)

AddictedToLife
AddictedToLife

Oh i want it so bad!

HABANITA=PURE HAVANE Thierry Mugler for men

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

Habanita is one of my favorite vanilla perfumes, but I was a little put off by it the first few times I tried it. Smoke, booze, and leather mixed with... powdery vanilla? WTF!? Even though it was a bit weird for me, I kept coming back to it. The powdery vanilla half of the perfume is gorgeous, and it balances out the smoky, boozy leather and blends with it to create an interesting hybrid of badass sexyness and innocent sweetness.

lovingthealien

This is the real deal. If you want to smell the true uncompromised spirit of the Oriental fragrance, look no further. A tart fruity opening blasts with leather and iris. Violets and benzoin emerge to bring you back to the Victorian era. The drydown is firmly planted in the present. Sweet leather, amber, patchouli, and sandalwood create the air of a dark and dramatic niche masculine fragrance. Not unisex in the traditional way, this manages to be both masculine and feminine, and comes off as sexy on both sexes.

Recently reformulated but still widely available online for next to nothing. Get it before it's gone - this is niche quality at Dana prices.

akats
akats

OMG! it's gorgious. Smoky, spiced, powdery oriental with a long sexy dry down. I love it from the top notes, but especially after two hours on my skin. It is a stage where all ingredients have calmed and a hidden animalic sweetness now comes forth, to embrace you with serenity and love feelings. Habanita is wild but smooth as well. It can be worn by men but in a woman's skin it passes to another dimension. More sexy, more carresing and more memorable. If you like orientals such as Shalimar, you cannot pass this. It's a shame....

update after 10 hours.
The smell became tender, sweet, carnal. After so many hours and it emerges from my skin. This is the most lovable dry down. Long lasting is enormous. Sensuality is tremendous also. What a great discovery I've done!!

jo.vortex
jo.vortex

(EDP)
just two words: THE PERFUME!

oona noir
oona noir

The Tilda Swinton of perfumes. Unisex. Love it or hate it. Reminds me more of Tabac Blond than Shalimar both in scent and attitude. Habanita is not desperate to seduce, she just *does*.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

Just got a sample of this one, because I read so many good things about Habanita. It is probably the worse scent I smelled in years. Very strong, dirty and chemical perfume. Not at all sexy. I love leather fragrances like Bvlgari Black, but the leather here is just so horrible. I can't believe so many people raving about this one. I let my BF smell it and he said it smells like a car cleaner.

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

wearing Habanita is like rolling in baby powder. for me its a comfort scent or when i'm in a contemplative mood, not a sexy perfume at all.

lizlady68
lizlady68

I also purchased a small bottle of this as a blind buy and really thought it was my type of fragrance having an affinity with black orchid and other "dark demons" but on me it must be my chemistry, all I get is moth ball smell, even after trying to wash off which you can't -- it gets a 10 of 10 for long lasting. Anyone interested in a swap of this for any of my faves.... i have been on the look out for midnight or hypnotic poison (partially or barely used fine) thanks.

xdollpartsx
xdollpartsx

Habanita is not for me unfortunately, I blind bought it as It seemed right up my street but on me it just smells like mr. sheen (the polish not charlie) I think it is one of those that would smell nice to my nose on others but just not on me :( I am very upset as I can really see the appeal, Habanita is strong yet ultra feminine, sweet but not cloying. It lasts all day with just a little squirt and the bottle is beautiful! This perfume will get you noticed, It was made for the sexy siren in us all.

mzfiguer
mzfiguer

nopasho's review made me want to buy habanita. i want both habanita and molinard de molinard

kamisis
kamisis

j'adore ce parfum il est très sensuel chaud capiteux c'est un parfum de femme, ados accros aux jus roses infects passez votre chemin,la femme qui porte ce parfum assume sa sensualite

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

A dreamy scent meant for a reflectful day interpreting what the clouds on a cool winter day might have to say to you. Some scents ie. L'heure bleue evoke memories; this is one of those scents. A classic I will cherish forever.

chickenpotpie

I know I just did a review, but I think instead of updating that one, I'll do a new one mainly because its a much cooler day today so Habanita is wearable.

Per my earlier review, yes its gorgeous and for me will always be so. I think when its warmer though certain things do get pulled out than on a cooler day, Today I get all elegance. Think black ball gown, and south sea pearls and icy white diamonds.

Now it also jogged a memory for me, and I kept thinking it smelled like something I've smelled before. Then I remember, of course, Original Lagerfeld cologne (note, I'm not talking about classic, but the one that preceded it!) They have that same powderiness; the tobacco, the vanilla, the rose, and of course the muskiness.

So I went and got the bottle of Lagerfeld Original and did a smell test. Yep, thats what it is. So if a guy can wear Lagerfeld, he likely would feel at home wearing Habanita!

Now granted there are certainly differences, vetiver in Habanita versus sandalwood in Lagerfeld which gives a slight difference to the base. The main difference I notice was the fruits. Aside from that, I would say they're very closely related.

Anyway, 2 half sprays, and it lasted all day. This time however instead of roaring, it purrs. No raging biker bar this time, which can be fun on occasion, but I do like it this way as well. I may end up getting another bottle come winter's end.

judyk
judyk

(EDT splash)
By way of introduction, Habanita landed a solid leather-gloved punch then handed me a rum-soaked cigar. The fragrant tobacco and a gentler leather stayed for the middle, underpinning powdery florals and a whisper of spice. The drydown was sweet, smokey, dusty. Purrrrfect.

Definitely deserves Classic status. I think it would smell terrificly sexy on a man, too.

But the best bit? My 'fumophobe husband actually *likes* it! Gotta get me a bigger bottle.

ETA 14Aug12: My 100ml edt spray arrived today. :-D

Compared to the splash, the spray went on really sharp and a bit screechy. On the skin I got a rubber note I hadn't noticed previously. But now that it's dried it smells just like before. I'm happy.

chickenpotpie

Whoooo BABY!! great stuff but NOT good during the summer...I will have to re-review this one in much cooler weather because the summer made it bloom to heights of near unbearable.

But still, even with that, its damn gorgeous stuff, just a little much for this time of year. How the hell is this stuff so cheap? no really I'm curious because its quite well made.

Its certainly a big and heavy one, so if big and heavy is scary its not going to be your scent, and its sweet.... and I'm talking VERY. Time of year may have more to do with it, but still, I like that as it balances off the other not so sweet notes. It works here without giving me cavities.

I get the lipstick, face powder and motor oil *yum* and this is going to sound crazy, but I also get a very distinct raspberry frambroise along with a package of sweet tarts and a small amount of tobacco. Its like an all girls biker bar is hanging out on my wrist!

For me this is a definite cold weather queen. And longevity of course is just crazy. You had better like this because it really does stick around a long long time. Like next day long time. Having never smelled any of the vintage ones (this is the EDT I recently purchased) I can't speak to how it smells against vintage, but, I will say I do like this one quite a lot and likely it will be in heavy rotation during the winter.

oncidium
oncidium

Spice, powder, woody, leathery, floral, I'm dizzy over the wonders of Habanita...in the best way possible. How can such a gem be obtained at such a low price? This has to be the fragrance bargain of the century. Can you say femme fatale? The most perfect fragrance I've ever experienced. Swoon worthy.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Oh... Habanita. How I love you! I wish I would have met you earlier! You're so dark and mysterious.

This fragrance opens very powdery on me only to settle into the most beautiful, warming, heady, woody, incensy smell EVER. My skin is really dry and always cold, but when I warm it up or splash it with water, I also get the lovely soft floral tones. Girls with warm skin are soooo lucky!

I am thinking, this could easily be worn by a man as well. What do you think? I will spray this on my boyfriend as soon as he gets home. Haha. It won't be the first time he plays the guinea pigs for me;)

nopasho
nopasho

CAUTION, DANGER: LONG, DETAILED REVIEW AHEAD!!!

'The absolute ‘Classics’. Can you name them?'

Ask a seasoned fragrance lover and he/she'll rattle them off for you:’ Chanel nr 5’, ‘Opium’, ‘Obsession’, ‘Shalimar’, ‘Light Blue’, ‘Alien’, ‘Angel’, ‘Polo for Men’ (the Original Mighty Green Beast)... All right!!!

And yet, my dear perfume lovers, there are a few true classics that for one reason or another (not enough pr budget, didn't give the critic at an influential woman's magazine enough free bottles so a negative review was written, launched at the wrong time...) aren't known as ‘Classics’, but really are. ‘Classics Under The Radar’, I call them.

And they have time on their side to prove their worth. They are being produced for decades now, still going strong and now in 2012 make a well deserved come back. A second or third youth. Because everybody and their 14 year old niece, are getting tired of the overpriced artificial sugar-fruit-vanillin bombs. Even true original celebs like Lady Gaga –not the second rate B-artists who don’t have music or gigs anymore to generate income and sold their name and image for a fistful of dollars to perfume conglomerates to simply have some money coming in-, realize that the time of cheap-cheaper-cheapest produced but expensively sold artificial vanilla-sugar-fruit concoctions, is past. You need to bring something more substantial to the perfume counter even as a ‘celeb fragrance’, than sugared alcohol with some vanillin and fruit and floral extracts mixed in. When you buy one of the classics, you simply buy quality, not donating money to the ‘celeb du jour’ or more often 'celeb de yesterday', and you don’t get a fragrance with enough sugar to send a mildly diabetic patient into a life threatening coma.

‘Classics’ are being loved by millions from different generations, not because the face on the bottle is a B-grade singer, and mostly a pretty bad one at that. The Under The Radar Classics are classics that still haven’t earned the Walhalla-status of 'True Classics' yet, but will shortly. The ‘Under the Radar Classics’ were created at least 20 years ago, survived on the strength of their seductive power, of their quality, of the power of the fragrance, what is in the bottle, not on the strength of the PR campaign and the mug on the bottle.. And are still in production and mostly still going strong. For a reason: they are timeless masterpieces and appeal to various generations and ages and genders.

'Youth Dew' (1953) by Estée Lauder is such one, 'Bal à Versailles' (1962) by Jean Desprez, Lanvin's 'Arpège' (1927),'Sublime' (more recent 1992) by Jean Patou, Caron's Bellodgia (1927), 'Safari' by Ralph Lauren (more recent 1990, but sadly discontinued and still mourned) and you can add this ‘Habanita’ by Molinard too.

What a Mighty Beast of Olfactory Beauty this is! And Created in 1921. And not too expensive. But there are rumors that the bean counters at the conglomerate where it belongs to, will kill this Beastly Beauty and Original Fragrance Masterpiece shortly. So I am busy collecting bottles. Because this is IT. Being one of the greats that stayed under the radar.

What is an 'IT' fragrance again? A fragrance of timeless beauty where originality and olfactory craftsmanship have married each other, and created and offspring ('Habanita'in this case) that is at once creative, totally original and wearable by a lot of people of all ages/genders etc. This ‘Habanita’ here is still living this happy marriage some 85 years after the promise of making other people's noses, hearts and soul happy, sad... But it will be euthanized by the bookkeepers at a fragrance conglomerate shortly. To probably launch a 'Desperate Housewifes', 'Susan Boyle' or ‘Jersey Shore’-fragrance. Money is the name of the fragrance game these days, not quality and originality.

An IT fragrance touches someone’s soul. Maybe it makes you happy-sad or sad-happy, it makes you joyous with melancholia... In any case, it makes you feel alive. With pleasure pain, introspection, desire to dance, to sing, to weep, to have sex, to mourn, to FEEL! You know: bringing up emotions from inside you and bringing back memories long buried. That is the power of a true IT fragrance. And no, ‘Purr’ by Katy Perry is not amongst them IMHO, sorry. IT fragrances make the connection through the olfactory center in your brain right next to your emotional center, with your emotions, memories, hopes and desillusions. Pleasure and sadness, yes. An IT fragrance makes a connection to your a real life where sadness and madness and happiness are always intertwined. An IT fragrance is not merely an escape, an illusion, making you dream that vanilla turns boys on to sex, or that sugar is an aphrodisiac, and a fruit scent makes you sexy. Believe me, when most men smell fruit, they whip up an appetite, not a desire for your charms.

You want fragrances to make you feel otherworldly ‘dream-illusion-escape-Barbie-level-happy’? There are tons of those frags. You have the Britney’s, the Fancy's and the celeb scents. It makes you dream away. Away to where? To what you will never be, to emotions that you can only dream of and are not in you? To vanilla an sugar land. To enjoy loads of sugar without becoming obese. Escape the reality of your own emotions. But it doesn't make you feel alive, it doesn't touch you deeply, it doesn’t make you 'feel'. Those glucose concoctions are escapism and there is nothing wrong with that. But it is not for me.

'True classics' and 'Classics under the radar' like this one, go deeper. Sorry celeb fans, they don't smell better, they just have much more hooks, nooks, crannies, facets. You want happy easy, carefree girly fun nothing wrong with that. Sniff your 'Fantasy' be blissfully, unreal happy. Classics on the contrary have tthe power to conncet with the inner you and unearth hidden feelings that are present in you, not feelings that you hope are present in you when you buy a celeb frag. Classics make you feel alive with emotions that are actually in you, are part of you, are not a dream to hopelessly chase, are not an illusion which you hope to reach buy buying a Jessica's Simpson's photoshopped face on‘Fancy’. These frags are just harmless fun. Nothing wrong with that, but they are just that.

‘Classics’ on the contrary touch your inner core, your hidden memories, your deepest own emotions. You want a fragrance that one day makes you sing, the other day makes you weep, the next day makes you sure, the following day makes you unsure, the day after makes you happy and yet another day after makes you miserable... the classics are the way to go. They touch you deeply, they stir feelings in you, they bring own hidden memories and feelings and emotions alive. For you to feel and experience. They are like a shrink in a bottle combined with sheer olfactory joy and pleasure. Emotions, pleasure, feeling alive tears and smiles and joy and melancholy and all.

Think about paintings. Caravaggio, da Vinci, Rubens, Van Gogh, Rothko, Anselm Kiefer... they have they feel of classics. You want to escape, well then I'd advise you to buy 'Fantasy' and 'Purr' and Fancy'. In paintings that feels like in the 20th century Warhol, Lichtenstein and Jeff Koons. You want to feel deep, you want an emotional 'mover and shaker'? Try one of those IT’s or Classics under the radar. Those fragrances reach deep into your heart and soul and bring up the emotions of the day and reinforce them. Well, that's just my opinion.

What makes this 'Habanita' so special? Look at those treasure trove of notes. And remember, boys and girls, we are talking 1921 here. Almost a century ago. The nose who made this would a certain Monsieur Boucanier, an employee of Molinard, but I guess the whole Molinard team collaborated. Monsieur Boucanier vanished after creating this special masterpiece. The Devil’s Revenge for creating such a sensual, sinful, exciting, dirty, lascivious fragrance, no doubt. ‘Habanita’ survived, Lucifer's personal fragrance is still alive and kicking. But not for much longer. Never mind. With his creation Monsieur Boucanier (‘Bucanneer’) serves his eternal time in Heaven and Hell. Being seduced or hunted by angels and witches wearing ‘Habanita’.

The notes:
Top: Orange Blossom, Raspberry, Peach, Bergamot
Middle: Lilac, Orris Root, Jasmine, Heliotrope, Ylang Ylang, Rose
Base: Leather, Amber, Musk, Benzoin, Vanilla, Oakmoss, Cedar

Yes, you counted right. That makes 17 different fragrance notes. Look at the top: these are the fragrance notes for your typical cheap celeb scent. But celeb scents take max three notes to save money. But the mastery of the Molinard crew back in 1921, a mere 3 years after the end of the devastating WWI when Paris was not yet 'the city of pleasure'- is that they counter this happy carefree top with a melancholy middle and base that you could say is an echo for the death in the Great War from 1914-1918 that killed millions for Brits, Frenchmen... a mere 100 miles from Paris.

The quality of a fragrance is determined by its base. Longevity, sillage, creativity, multi facetted... Celeb scents have a base of 2 or 3 notes, here we have 7 different notes! And they make a base to die for. With this base, everything that comes on top of it will produce a standout. If Britney would take this base and add her poo (sorry about that) and a bowl of sugar to it, it would still smell absolutely fabulous and divine. Look at that awesome base! Unbelievable but true. They made some awesome fragrances in the time. Amber, musk, vanilla: the 3 Mighty Musketeers that are a mean machine that anchor every base inevitably into quality. The secret: quality ingredients. Then we get added bonuses: the green oakmoss, Yay!, and then the woody cedar, Yay!!. But it's not all. We also get benzoin that is like a turbo for all the other already strong notes. But the 'kill shot' and the stroke of genius that every classic has in its base, is: Leather! Yay!!! Mix the leather with the green, the wood and the musk-amber-vanilla trio, let this be amplified by the benzoin and you hit a home run. This is IT! A winner.

But we are just getting started. This very powerful dry base is set against the fresh fruity-floral top of peach, bergamot, raspberry and orange blossom. The 'contradiction' between those two gives olfactory fireworks. Wow! Like that song with Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue. 'Thought about' calculated contrasts in a fragrance, can produce true magic. I’m not talking about shock value like some ‘Etat Orange’ of ‘Demeters', but nose pleasing, emotions-stirring experiences. The plum-apricot in the top versus the Rosewood middle and almond base in ‘Hypnotic Poison’, the coriander in the top versus mimosa in the middle versus opoponax and civet in ‘Coco’, the lily-tuberose-rose in the top-middle versus the strong leather in the base of Hermès’ ‘Kelly Calèche’ and of course Tom Fords ‘Tobacco Vanille’. Contrasts that show you perfume heaven. But here the contrast between the dry powerful base and light fruity floral in ‘Habanita’ is not enough for Molinard.

After the copulation of the masculine yang base with the girly top, the female yin middle turns the fragrance up a notch or five higher, turns to 12 on a scale of 10. Makes it even richer and deeper and more opulent and hypnotic and addictive than it already is. By the way ‘Hypnotic Poison’, ‘Addict’, ‘Coco’, they all are daughters of this mother fragrance of dense dark masterpieces. In ‘Habanita’ we get a very strong flowery middle. Lilac, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang all very strong 'personality' flowers with a hook. Add to this strong brew a dose of rose, some sweet vanillic orris root and heliotrope that acts, like the benzoin in the base, as a turbo to reinforce the other notes on the middle, and it is: 'Wham, bam, thank you Molinard!'. What a richness, what a wealth of fragrance notes. A true power fragrance. From 1921!

And then the true magic starts. We have the inner workings on each level. But then we get the wondrous interaction between that great, strong, masculine, yang base. Then that light fruity, happy girly top. And last but not least the strong floral, seduction from natures' finest flowers, yin middle. We get a Shalimar-like leather-vanilla base without the civet (the strong flowers in the middle make up for this) and the incense (the cedar in the base takes its place), a top of a quality fruity floral like 'Viva la Juicy' but with other strong fruity notes and more radical: raspberry AND bergamot AND peach AND orange blossom. Then throw in some of the strongest flowers-with-personality in the mix: jasmine, ylang ylang, lilac, rose... The result is a true magical witches brew that -like a classic fragrance- can unearth memories and a wide range of feelings: from melancholia to joy to euphoria. That is the power of a classic fragrance. And that explains the various reactions to this masterpiece of a fragrance.

One thing is sure: it can make you sad, it can make you mad, it can make you bad, it can make you happy, it can make you content, it can make you thankful, it can make you irascible, it can make you crazy, it can make you happy... But you'll never forget 'Habanita' by Molinard. And putting it on will always get to your inner human core. Chances are, you will be hooked like a Habanita-junkie. Like me. But hurry up. Because I will buy all the bottles that I find! And keep them is my closest for when I want to feel extra alive and happy and sad and rich and poor and powerful and humble… When I want to feel magic by a fragrance, when I want to smell fragrance-bliss. When I want to remember why I became hooked on the magic of perfume, when I want to refresh the reason why I became a contributing member of this site, when I want to remember why I became a fragrance lover tout court…

AngieGCarp

As per the GOOD reviews, I purchased Habinita blind....ooooooh baby this is IT! The opening is POW but it settles into a very voluptuous yummy powdery leather with background florals. Ahhhhh THIS is the BEST!

MadameCherie
MadameCherie

I have to agree with garamascara with the "baby powder covering cigarettes," and add a bit of leather to that. (I am using the EdT so this isn't the original parfume.) I love Tabac Blonde, Cuir de Russie, etc. but Habanita, on me, goes on sharp with a promise but dries to a faded rememberance. I do wear Mollinard de Mollinard successfully but I think my skin oils change the Habinita, I'm sorry to say. This shouldn't stop anyone from trying this perfume because Mollinard has a number of dynamite scents.

Lumiere
Lumiere

Habanita arrived yesterday. She took off her black cloak, shrugged travel dust and looked at me with her brown eyes. It seemed, she knows about life so much. About all my aspirations, moments of happiness and pain. In her quality leather case, it seems that she has all different sorts of potion. This perfume is wonderfully old-fashioned, in a nice quality way. Makes me think of the time when people knew HOW to wear fine quality things, be it a nice men suit, a leather portemonnaie, or a portcigar, or a beautifully fitted dress. Men knew how to court their woman…. Ah!

There are so many beautiful reviews here. May I add my voice to the beautiful bottle, this is probably by far the most beautiful perfume bottle I have ever possessed, or even seen. Once perfume is finished, is worth to keep it as talisman.

PS. Sprayed it today. Morning, a bit misty, a but humid, not overly cold. My man was still in bed as I bent to kiss him goodbye.
Oh, nice perfume.
Merci, what scent can you pick?
Hmm, don’t know, just nice…
Maybe, leather?
What? Lizard?

LOL. Now I will feel like a graceful lizard all day.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Wow...this is soooo good. Habanita is unique, intoxicating, and delicious. One thing I love about the vintages, they rarely ever disapoint. Most of the reviews here are very accurate, especially jennifer60656, a very good review. This smells like everything vintage, powders, lipstick, and a long elegant cigarette holder with remnants of tobacco left on it from the night before at the speakeasy... like opening up an old 1920's treasure chest.

A new FAVORITE

not insolence

Купих HABANITA без тест,след дълго четене на отзиви.И тя се оказа не каквато очаквах,а още по-необичайна и страхотна.Не смятам,че е груба.Не смятам,че мирише на кожа-скърцаща или не.Не смятам,че заглушава каквито и да са миризми.Този парфюм е от далечната 1924,а очарованието и уникалността му идват и в 21 век.Звученето и е тъмно,мистериозно,но не готик или вамп.Това е мистерията на една жена;нещата,които не се виждат веднага или не се виждат с просто око.Нещата,които са ''тера инкогнита'' за обикновения зяпач.Само този,който успее да се приближи достатъчно,ще може да види,че тази ''тъмнина'' са черното на очите и,дъхът на рома,който е пила,или топлото,звездно небе,което тя гледа и мечтае.Мечтае,да се намери този,който ще я открие и ще открие,че черното,е само началото.
Просто трябва да се приближиш още.

I don't get much of the cedar or oakmoss (I have the recent EdT, as pictured above). There is clearly a powdery leathery quality, with florals blended into it nicely, meaning there is no clear note of a particular flower, nor is it obviously floral, as when you enter a florist shop. If you smell it close to the skin it's at least a bit crude, so I suggest letting it mix with the air if you are trying it for the first time. I don't get the fruit notes at all, but they may be top notes, which I try to avoid. There's an animalic quality too, but it's mild relative to what I thought it might be like. It's not too sweet or too dry, and it's well made for an inexpensive fragrance, though don't expect niche-quality ingredients. I'm also impressed by the balance, and while it's not super dynamic, it's not a bore either. If you like Dior Homme but want a more vintage/retro feel, this is one to sample.

chowchow41
chowchow41

This is a beautiful edt. The reviews made me curious and i bought it blind.OOOOOH WOOOOOOOOOOW this is exactly what i was looking for. This is sweet benzoin not to much, vanilla, leather and a touch of powder. Sometimes i get a whiff of fruit. Im glad i have this in my collection because its so different like the soft airy perfumes that fade so quickly these days.

rosecat
rosecat

This is now on my favorites list! It is beautiful composition, so many previous reviews are great. I would like to add happily this is a Rose fragrance on me, it's powdery makeup - lipstick twists & leathery comfy dark turns make it so delicious. Can't stop sniffing myself!
Reminds me of *Lipstick rose, but this has got more going on! And What a Womanly fragrance this. It's very powdery yes! It's sweet, comfy with depth. Notes that stand up are the oak moss, musk, rose, heliotrope, leather & orris root. Silage & longevity is fabulous. Thankfully there is no smokey note on me, but there is "shisha" pipe wisps.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Oh Boy! When I first sprayed this the first thing I felt like doing was putting on a red and black dress, high heels, a fan, a rose behind my ear, and a table to dance the flamenco on. Muy, muy, caliente!

When I read Turin and Sanchez, they referred to this as "vetiver vanilla." That description doesn't do Habanita justice. There's so much more going on. I do get that lipsticky, bubble gum scent which by itself would have been a pretty cool fragrance but there's a wonderful spicy, woodsy, vanilla, powdery rose scent that is just fab. I worry around many rose scents because they often get too sweet, cloying, and wheeze-inducing to me, this one isn't like this at all.

The leather note is very smooth, like old gloves or purses - doesn't shout, more like a stage whisper.

I don't know what older versions smell like, and if I never smell an old bottle I will be okay with that because I have a hard time believing this could be improved. Habanita is sooo sexy, earthy, full-figured and proud of it!

The sillage and longevity are terrific - the scent doesn't just disappear and leave you with the "Where did it go?" feeling. Very satisfying.

A very short update:

I sniffed the new EdP and it is not a disaster. It has lost for sure a lot of strength, the distinct sharp opening and the deep dirtiness of the dry down, but it really is ok - you can still easily identify Habanita in it.

Maybe a little overpriced now, but why shouldn't Molinard cash in on their (imho only) masterpiece?

lmscully
lmscully

You really need the body chemistry to wear this one, otherwise you will end up smelling like your aunt Barb's Virginia Slims and diaper rash cream. I purchased a bottle of this unsniffed years ago based on the leather and tobacco descriptions. The opening was sharp and actually burned my nose but it quickly settled into those wonderful dark leather notes. The final drydown is smoky baby powder. Very nice.

This is definitely an evening and cool weather perfume. The cheaper alternative for warmer days is Toujours Moi. Both were originally launched in 1921 and while the modern versions pale compared to their ancestors, they are still close enough to be sisters. You can buy a large bottle of TM at a discount store for $5 and it smells just as lovely as the high end department store brands.

My Habanita and Toujours Moi sit on the same shelf as my Mitsouko, Shalimar, Paloma Picasso, and Tabac Blond.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Crisp woods at first; oakmoss and cedar, then vanilla, benzoin and leather take over. It becomes creamy, warm, leathery and powdery; tobacco/honey/smokey/powdery to be exact. Definite vintage, feminine, young to mature girl/lady type of a perfume. It has some strength to it as well. Overtime it blends so well on the skin and emanates warmth and coziness:)
The more I smell it the more I like it!
Reminiscent of ancient cities and fashion that once was; this perfume awakens that sense. Pretty good for edt, I get about 5 hours.

Bandit

I just wanted to give you guys the heads up on the official discontinuation of Habanita EdT - Molinard confirmed it in an email to me. Molinard now only offers a new, reformulated EdP in a new bottle and packaging. I haven't smelled it, though, so I cannot say anything about if it's any good.

I've feared for this day to come and now it's here.

I guess, this is due to IFRA regulations. I don't now one other perfume that has such a high concentration on oakmoss and we are all aware on the oakmoss ban, so it was only a matter of time. Probably the EdT broke several other new IFRA regulations as well.

There are still cheap bottles of EdT en masse available, so for the lovers: Now is the time to stock up. If the EdP isn't any good, I suppose that prices will rise for the old EdT.

akheperure
akheperure

Too strong for me, it reminds me of an old lady wearing some ancient perfume... but for some reason, I love it... Go guess.
I cannot spray it directly on my skin as the smell becomes too much, but I spray a bit of it up in the air and let a shower of minuscule droplets fall slightly on me.
Then, it is wearable and it sort of feels like being transported to the 1920's... so it's well worth the trip...

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Ooohhhh ! Such a wonderfull sweet, deep, woody, lipstick kinda treasude this is. I bought blindly and do not regret. I consider Habanita to be very seductive, I just can`t help my self sniffing my wrist, and deep. I think I test this for night time. For summer evenings. This is very personal scent. Comes definitely to one of my favourites. I love this deep natured beauty.

boruvka44

Vintage vanilla-creamy smelling lipstick, a shovel of powder, just opened pack of black cherry flavoured tobacco (still a little bit moist), motor oil (let´s say black Buick from mid 40´s).
Perfect illusion of femme fatale. Midnight city, quiet river wharf, he´s leaning against still hot capote of his black car and whispers urgently to his dream woman - a cat dressed in black, with red finger nails and lipstick - that he would forgive her anything, just if she was his.
Amazing lasting power for EDT.

guido2663
guido2663

Well, normally bottles and boxes stay at home. My ex fiancé wears Habanita. My mother wears it, so my sister sometimes does it the same and even my grandmother did. I still like this perfume anyway. It's so familiar to me. Obviously.

daniela3
daniela3

I like this perfume having a penchant for the majority of the frags came to light at that time: the roaring twenties. This is a lovely complex fragrance that in order to be appreciated, as it deserves, it asks you to be patient and wait for 10/15 minutes minimum before you can form a proper opinion and enjoy it; not doing so the risk/impression of an ash-tray and cigarettes will be more than just an impression (almost a reality!), with the result to make you run to the basin and scrub it off! All who talk about a shocking opening are right, (for me it was the same) but after a while Habanita shows its best qualities: a spicy-wooden side, sweetened by a huge amount of vanilla. This 'potion' mixes the warm sensuality of musk, heliotrope and ylang-ylang with a refined tenderness -it's never bold nor heavy - but even 'hot' at the same time.
I have a fade memory of how the vintage H. smelled (it happened on a couple of occasions) so I can remember that the old product was 'quite' different, but I believe all the same that H. is still recognizable and it is still so good. Interesting persistence and good sillage also!
Perhaps, I'm probably the only one to appreciate neither the bottle nor the packaging......

nausikaa
nausikaa

is this supposed to smell like vinegar? because if not, then the tester i tried must have gone bad...

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

I love this precious one. This is the definition of perfume in my book. It is like pure decadence. It is all the things I love about scent wrapped into one fantastic composition. Here are the words that come to mind to describe it; sultry, smooth, pressed face powder, delicate incense, vanilla extract, aged lipstick...and with that said, I adore. This scent has stood the test of time and will continue to do so like a strand of heirloom pearls. I may have reviewed in the past on this one but when I sprayed this evening for the first time in a while I just had to put my thoughts in writing to convey my connection to the wondrous beauty of Habanita.

FairyDust
FairyDust

This is a masterpiece! I discovered this a couple of years ago through Katie Puckrik's website. Honestly, ALL perfumistas should follow her if you don't already. Her recommendations are always right on the mark...she has never led me astray.

I REALLY love this. To me, it smells like a butter rum candle that I light in winter during the holidays. It's rich, warm and oozes creamy, butteriness with only a slight hint of leather. Not the kind of sharp leather note that could frizz your hair, however. And I certainly have never thought it smelled in any way like crotches, or old lady, or mustiness at all. Not at all.

I agree it is a little dark, but it's not to the point of goth. I detect just a touch of smokiness, too, which takes this potion to the height of perfection.

This is pure opulence in a bottle, very comforting and inspiring. Perfect for cuddling with my sweet hubby next to the fireplace on a cold or windy night! Or ANY kind of night! I love, love, LOVE this.

Thanks Katie Puckrik! YOU ARE THE BEST!!

soniamcalear

Nice powdery scent along the lines of being kind of like Interlude by Frances Denny but not the same either. But very powdery.

Ladymom59
Ladymom59

Ancient, dark, dusty and exotic...you can love it or hate it. It does not matter: this fragrance is like La Habana at night, you can even smell the salt of the Caribbean...It is scary but at the same time so fresh and unbelievably beautiful. I cannot wait to try the new release.

lolitajade
lolitajade

Like Samsara, only I don't like Samsara! This is more powdery and sweet. Samsara is a copy of this but more harsh and in your face with that oriental kick. Habanita is softer and more feminine.

The word I would use to describe Habanita is 'sensual'

Wait a good half hour before you can even judge this perfume.

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

When i looked through my small but growing collection of scents to see what i was missing , i realised id never tested any "Leather" scents.

I have sat down with a sample of Habanita , plus Cabochard and Bandit. So 3 legendary leathers were mine for testing ( Thanks to a kind member on here!) Out of the 3 , this is my favorite.

Habanita is wearable for me - This will be my FB leather ! The vanilla is what makes this the winner of the 3. Im not a super Vanilla freak , and I like the smell of leather a LOT , especially my fine Italian leather gloves. What i don't like is the smell of a manky old leather jacket that belongs to a chain smoker ( Hello Cabochard and Bandit!).

Habinita has a much more refined leather note IMO. When mixed with the sweet touch of vanilla and fruit it makes it so much more accessible to someone like me who is sometimes overwhelmed by very bitter or dry frags. Bearing in mind i came of perfume wearing age in the bland unisex "Clean" aquatic CK1 loving 90s! As we all know , perfumes have got sweeter ever since and i crave trying anything and everything that's "Different" from the candy floss standard. Some vintages i like , but quite a few smell old /musty/dusty/bad. THIS ISNT ONE OF THEM IN MY OPINION.

Just the right balance of dry bitter notes , and a little sweetness to stop it going into "Bitter" territory. Good stuff !!

PS - On the subject of Cabochard and Bandit - Although i'm very glad i got to try these scents , there not for me. They both have a strong whiff of Chain smoker. No offence meant to there fans, it could be my skin chemistry

Midnight50
Midnight50

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW HABANITA YOU MUST FIND A BOTTLE MINIMUM 20 YEARS OLD. I REMEMBER HABANITA WHEN IT WAS A VERY GOOD PERFUME ALSO NEW AND PROVOCATIVE FOR THAT TIME: A TRUE LION. NOW IT'S ONLY A HAIRLESS AND TEETHLESS OLD CAT THAT CANNOT MAKE MUCH IMPRESSION: HEAVY AND RATHER SMELLING NOT IN A GOOD WAY. IT'S A PITY!

Jayla_Kent
Jayla_Kent

UGH! Ordered this after all the rave reviews here about how sexy/great it was. All I can say is old lady who is a chain smoker. That's what it smelled like on me - I even waited for a couple of hours - finally I could not take it anymore and had to wash my arm. The smell is still there a tad - but not making me nauseous anymore.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

I just got a bottle in the mail today. Ordered as I didn't find it right away after reading your reviews. I didn't know about this one until i saw it here. I haven't smell something like this EVER. Sprayed it and WOW, this is sooo dark. At first you can smell the leather as in a vintage shop. Then, it slowly gets spicier, muskier and more powdery...very ethnic & exotic. It's bold fragrance...I like it.

id
id

Leather note disappears quite fast even I love it so much at the opening. After that I feel a mixture of incense, patchoulli and ginger (I know they are not listed here). It is not dark perfume but rather smooth and powdery. It is in no way similar to Shalimar. Longevity is great.

Calif Girl
Calif Girl

This works wonderfully with my skin chemistry.

I find it powdery and smooth. Very wearable and not synthetic. No sharp edges. Well rounded.

I do not find it dark as some people have mentioned.
There could be some kinship with Youth Dew and Shalimar in a general sense.

A beautiful oriental with a dry down that is stunning.

garamascara
garamascara

Seriously? Habanita is so overrated. Reminds me of high school girls in the 80’s that used Love’s Baby Soft to cover-up the smell of cigarettes. It’s all smoke and baby powder. Gross!!!

icekat
icekat

Habanita, translated as little Havana, is bold and strong fragrance radically different from many contemporary perfumes I have in my collection. I love a lot its unique and extravagant character. The scent is beautiful and complex. It has a slight masculine edge with leather, tobacco and woody notes but it also has the powdery softness, which I find romantic and pretty. It is like wearing a tailored leather jacket with a silk dress that look great together.

I find the opening to be sharp, woody and green. The galbanum is quite intense with strong leathery tones. I think you have to appreciate the galbanum and leather to like the opening. I do love these two, so I do enjoy it a lot. The scent develops into deep, dark and decadent floral bouquet with mostly ylang-ylang and orris wrapped in leathery notes. I think at this stage the scent really fits its black, art deco bottle. The next stage becomes more powdery and softer but the leather note is still going strong. I love the fact that there are leather and woody notes to balance the powdery layer. It adds a sophisticated edge. The base notes are very complex with the comforting, slightly powdery benzoin, amber and vanilla wrapped with leathery tobacco. It is unique and beautiful. The sillage and longevity are excellent.

If Shalimar (launched in 1925) captures the mystical oriental trends of 1920s, Habanita (launched in 1924) captures the avant-garde music, art deco and feminist movement of that era. How cool is that we can still experience the scents that were around for almost a century! I was thinking about what type of a woman would wear Habanita back in those days. Perhaps she would be a bit of a rebel, smoke cigars and have radical views on politics and women’s rights. Or perhaps she would be a quiet girl who would secretly buy Habanita to make her feel more confident and worldly. Nevertheless, this wonderful perfume is not only a beautiful leather scent in my collection but also an exciting journey through time.

Overall score 8.5/10. I recommend it if you like leather scents and into bold, strong perfumes. But I also think that Habanita is one of those historical scents that every perfumista should have on the list to try at least once in a lifetime.

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

I find myself in the curious position of having to "eat my words" as it were. The following is my original review:

"Very very harsh!! With that combination of notes it should be incredible, but just isn't ... on skin that is. I've been using it as a room spray ... it's great in the air :o). Sadly, on my skin it has a 'nails on chalkboard' quality ... was really hoping I could pull this off. Oh well ... back to the hunt."

And then today ...:

By happenstance, a box of fragrances that I ordered some time ago and was lost in the mail finally made it to me. Inside, there lay a tester bottle of Habanita. When I thought this shipment was gone for good I had reordered Habanita from a different source and taken it along with me on a trip to the Seychelles. There, in the rank humidity, it didn't work. Today I thought "Oh what the hell!!" and whacked about six sprays to my left forearm ... and fell in LOVE LOVE LOVE!! How strange ... the summer heat where I live is very dry ... and Habanita thrives in it!!! Leathery powder with a cigar bar vanilla symphony!! Make no mistake ... She's a bitch, this one ... slightly ragged around the edges but in such a confident way. I'm so glad I tried this again ... SIMPLY WONDERFUL in the right atmospheric conditions!! If the EDT is this awesome I'm going to have to find the EDP and Parfum ... I smell a hunt coming on :o).

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

Dark, powdery leather with a touch of sweet vanilla is the way I would summarize this incredible fragrance.

It opens with a slight rubbery note and a blast of face/baby powder. The floral notes are fleeting in this perfume.

The powder never goes, but the leather and vanilla come to the forefront as it dries down.

Habanita is my favorite scent that has a prominent leather note. The leather is so buttery, that combined with the sweetness of the vanilla, it seems to melt into the skin. While at the same time, being surrounded by a cloud of sweet powder.

This perfume conjures up images of the dressing rooms of starlets during Hollywood's Golden Age. I would have loved to have experienced those times. And Habanita represents that glamorous, chic elegance.

Yes, it's true that Habanita is now an octogenarian, but she is as relevant and wearable now as she was in the past.

This is a classy fragrance, but one that packs a punch. Habanita is neither shy nor retiring. Kinda like wearing combat boots with an evening gown.

Amazing sillage and longevity are also part and parcel of what Habanita has to offer. This fragrance is VERY powdery though, so it needs to be tested first.

I love this perfume. When I wear it, I truly feel like one of those Hollywood starlets that I mentioned.

mariana1974
mariana1974

What a glorious moment it was when I first met you Habanita. Thanks to mr. Turin I got curious..and you're so affordable, I just had to have you after reading so many nice reviews and when the moment finally arrived..wow..you're a gorgeous, sexy lady.
At first I totally get that it was used to perfume cigarettes, even though I loathe smoking, this is very nice. After a while Habanita gets so powdery, smokey, really strong and at the same time soft like a feather. I'm in love!

missymary
missymary

Can't believe that such a beautiful feminine perfume got such a butch bad girl image!? OK it may have a very smoky edge, but it's delightful, like softly aromatic wood smoke. This is a gentle caressing scent that is utterly enchanting. The vanilla and benzoin blend in so smoothly and sweetly to the smoky leather. If only the vanilla didn't take over at the finish and turn the whole thing into Shalimar, I would adore it. A remarkable artistic blend nevertheless.

mylancome
mylancome

For EDT: I spray the new bottle on my hand and smell, like body powder I use during the early 80s. I wait for it to dry down. The beginning smell fruity, very similar to Estee Lauder Young Dew, just less sweet.

I think Young Dew got the idea from Habanita.

After the top notes, smell like body powder or bath soap in the 80s. Smell like 4 or 5 stars hotel bathing products. After hours when it totally dry, you have the incense, leather, vanilla smell like Shalimar EDP.

This perfume makes me think of the rich or powerful women during the 80s. Rich women working/live in New York City, Wallstreet or 5th Avenue.

syracusa
syracusa

This is a bold, seductive scent for the extremely confident woman - the quintessential femme fatale who sees herself as 100% a man's equal and then so much more. I would love everything about it if it didn't have that rough, tobacco-leathery note that evokes too much of a "Clark Gable" image rather than ...say a "Rita Hayworth" one. Might just be best left to men - altogether. Want seduction, confidence AND loads of femininity? Just get Samsara and be done with it.

;-)
;-)

On me it's just lovely powder, lovely is not for me thou. Still a masterpiece and mystery. Will try again some time special.
Edit: So now I have tried it again, it is so good, vanilla, leather and smoke intense without beeing too powerful. Love it as an nightsent.
Now I have to find it as my tester will not get me far.

rose_selavie
rose_selavie

It took me a long time to understand and finally love this masterpiece. I smelled it for the first time about two years ago in Grasse, France, and I found it too heavy, too overpowering, to complicated.

This summer I gave it another try, and boom, the new experience was totally different. The same perfume, but different effect on me. It is so multifaceted, so multidimensional, layers after layers of leather, tobacco, vanilla, amber and powdery iris. I smell no fruits. It has a long life on skin, with a beautiful dry-down.

A perfume with a hunter instinct in it`s hurt, so if you aren`t sure you could face it, better not take the risk. If she feels your fear she will live your skin smelling like burned rubber and smoke, but if you accept her challenge she will develop beautiful on you. So, my advice is not to runaway after the first impression, but try it again after awhile. It`s so good and unique!

Not for every day, just for special occasions that will become precious memories.

JToronto
JToronto

Wow, I have to say this is a masterpiece. After wanting to smell it for a long time, I finally received my precious sample and I am wearing it now. What a pity this is so hard to get a hold of, as it could surely be a major hit if re-released today. There is smoke here, but it's "cool evenings around a campfire", not cigarettes. Balanced with gorgeous vanilla that is creamy & not too sweet. A hint of spiciness that blends perfectly. If it was a wine I would call it "well balanced", and it would be a dry red in the European style - maybe an old Chateauneuf-du-Pape, or even a Barolo - no sweet fruitiness here, just big leather/tobacco/spice/sweaty horses (all considered good things in wine!). Not at all floral (I think it can be the overwrought flowers in a heavy perfume that make it smell so "old lady"-ish). There's a whiff of fresh air here too (perhaps the slightest herbal touch?) that freshens it. A little goes a long way, but I could see making this my signature.

Update: after 2 hours this has dried down and is very close to the skin. I don't think it is a sillage monster at all. I can smell the powdery elements but for me it's more vintage face powder & not baby powder. There's an interesting rootbeer note too, freshening up the spice & leather. I can't wear Shalimar, Opium, Poison and other famous "sexy" perfumes, but this one sits very well on me. No headache. Truly a charmer.

nikkiboy
nikkiboy

Just love Habanita, the black Lalique bottle and the scent! Very comforting, and close to the skin. An everyday perfume if used sparingly, vanilla, vetiver, a little patchouli. Great in winter and in summer. I bought the perfume as well but do prefer the EDT.

DecoElegance
DecoElegance

This is a perfume that behaves as she sees fit. When she arrived in the mail last week, I could barely contain my excitement opening the box. She didn't let me down the first time I wore her, but she did change her signature as the day went on. Since then however, she's left an unidentifiable but undeniably gnarly smell on my skin. I've tried layering her with shea butter and vanilla lotions, but she still turns me rancid. I can't figure out what I did to offend her or how to regain her favor. I'm so sad about us not working out. The Molinards are so very affordable yet unique. Are there others out there similar to Habanita that would give me that one-of-a-kind scent without making me smell like I've rolled around in wet cigarettes and dirty underwear (and then compensated for the displeasing odor with baby powder I found in the back of my grandma's linen closet)?

jtd
jtd

I can't really read Habanita. The synergy that others describe doesn't happen for me. I actually search for a bit of dissonance in a perfume. It lends character, a bit of mystery. Maybe just gives it a laugh. Even outright antagonism can be effective (see the floral leather genre.)

Habanita has neither synergy, as in the fougere's coumarin and lavender accord, nor the stagey acrimony of Angel, for instance. It straddles an uncomfortable, tangled territory between leaden and powdery.

swiftbanderilla
swiftbanderilla

From a distance, everything about this perfume told me I would love it, from the tabacco inclusion to the beautiful bottle to the history of it. Once worn, it is a huge disappointment. All I get is POWDER combined with a stale cigarette smell. I was once in a bingo hall in the 80's and this is what comes to mind. Maybe it is a chemistry thing??

trotte
trotte

Wonderful, wonderful fragrance! Classy, mysterious, super sensual and still much more modern and charismatic than J'adore or Coco Mademoiselle... as far as I'm concerned ;)

jesseg
jesseg

Carmen opera"habanera" in a bottle..they even sound and smell the same...Habanita where have you been all my life

lara0905
lara0905

I think, Habanita is the only perfume in my collection just because the drydown is stunning.:)

The first knock out is the opening, it's very weird on me, pepper with smokey leather and tobacco, orris and chocolate!!:D I really have to hold back my breath ..:) After the awakening from this shock the hiding beauty comes slowly: slightly sweet vanilla aroma and amber give deepness and darkness..old-school,smokey, earthy, dirty and misterous..for dignified womens.:)

Lune d'Ete
Lune d'Ete

this is a cozy soft cuddly sweater you wear on a cold winter night for me, i don't get a lot of sex appeal from it, like i do from shalimar, for instance. They are similar in a smokey vanilla way, but citrus and incense in shalimar makes it edgier and more interesting for me. this is softer, more rounded, but still a dark perfume. i get from it rose, amber, benzoin, orris root..do not smell leather.

renperd
renperd

Another one of those that are put together so roughly that they can't with any measure of safety be applied any higher than your ankles. This stuff is toxic up close, but very good at more than an arm's length. The price reflects the work that went into this scent. Good value nevertheless.

onimoka
onimoka

After reading some reviews i have picked some words, which in my opinion define Habanita best. Also, i agree most with "Cleo Cupcake" and "LILLYBEE´s" review.
Here it goes:
Gothic;
Strong;
Deep;
Reach;
Yummy;
Long Lasting;
Classy;
Please contact me if you want to exchange it for something else. I will make my offer :)

PortiaV
PortiaV

What the hell is this? A rancid bottle of Love's Baby Soft meets Old Spice? Where is the smoke, the bad girl, the sexiness?
So glad I only tested a sample of this. NEVER again! It stunk up the whole house and it took me forever to scrub the ungodly stench off my poor wrist.

Shalimar's less annoying but just as desperate fraternal twin.

ian85

je viens d’essayer Habanita : Il m’a fallu pour cela me dire que non non, en dépit du packaging ça peut aussi marcher pour les hommes, et vaincre les premiers instants de la pulvérisation, très "vieille cocotte" (Ou vieux machin, pas de jaloux)... Quelques temps plus tard, la magie opère : l’aspect très chargé (trop) s’estompe, l’ombre de ma grande tante disparait et la douceur (pas si douce que ça en fait) de la vanille s’impose. Donc : j’aime beaucoup, mais pour ma part j’aurais la main très très légère, et je laisserais passer un certain délai avant de partager Habanita avec mon entourage, pour que s’installe cette rondeur très baroque...
Pour homme et pour femme, définitivement!
10 / 10

reignydaze
reignydaze

This fragrance is new to me....where has this been all my life? I love orientals and this is up there with the best of them. Very much old school its sultry, smokey, exotic and warm. Don't judge on first application, this is a builder. The dry down is beautiful and lasting, sprayed onto clothing you can smell it for days. You can smell the history in this EDT and has already become one of my favourites. I would love to smell this vintage pure perfume I bet its spectacular.

maggiesmeow
maggiesmeow

It does evoke an atmosphere of paris in the 20s, black beaded dresses, heavy makeup, bobs, smoky cafes--but in an innocuous kind of way. ultimately, the main impression is POWDERY. i get an image of open powderboxes on a dresser, puffs and all.
Like my friend debbie's mom used to say "It's a look, debbie" -but its not mine.

Ps: very powdery for a number of hours, but a nice drydown, more vanilla than musk, but great quality.

empressevie
empressevie

Just got my US perfume purchases...and had to try them.

Nearly died when I spritzed the Habanita. Nearly died with intoxication of the most wonderful kind!!

You hit the nail on the head, Sissi...smoky, liquor laden, and oh, so, so dark woman alluring. It smells to me like my best friends and wonderful, wonderful parties, during which it is ok to be outrageous, and strong and really let loose.

Again, I breathed...this is the one...the one that really captures my essence. Good times, smoky clubs, and the devil may care.

I've (again) already ordered another bottle as this makes me feel invincible, liberated and oh so delectable.

Fizzy
Fizzy

This fragrance come to me like an 2 ml sample. It smelled BEFORE opening the bottle!

Indeed, the EDT is very intensiv, no spray it, it blows you away, only dab it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you wear leather, you have to try it, it fits good with leather, but it´s also fresh.
I really wanted to like this absolutely unique signature scent and lovely flacon, but after 1 hour after spraying it, I noticed a migraine coming on. It must be the very strong vanilla and this one will sadly fade into perfume history. It´s so sad. Very high quality of a fragrance.

bettybooplennon
bettybooplennon

Despues de haber leido por largo tiempo las "maravillas" de Habanita comence a obsesionarme
con conseguir una botella, la mas grande que hubiese ya que las notas prometian que seria una de mis fragancias favoritas...Para una persona como yo que no puede comprar en linea(online) a falta de paypal y tarjeta de credito fue realmente dificil de encontrar, HTF!!!, y en los pocos lugares que llegaban a tener la exquisita fragancia la vendian como oro liquido que me hacia preferir comprar un "Guerlain". Pero la suerte me sonrio y pude encontrar por fin el perfume a un precio mas accesible y no dude en comprarlo.
El primer contacto del perfume con mi piel fue magico, amor a primera vista, un delicioso aroma de vainillas, tabaco, maderas, todo como una brisa de aire otonal, mistico y misterioso.
Tiene una longevidad bastante aceptable en la piel de aproximadamente 4hrs, maravilloso considerando mi dificultad en encontrar un perfume longevo en la acidez de mi piel.
Para damas seguras de si mismas con gusto por la elegancia.

girasolina
girasolina

Tra i suoi tanti parenti lui davvero ha una nota sfacciatamente distintiva..ha fegato!! Non solo, ma ha un ottimo sillage e se non bastasse non è uno snob come i suoi stretti familiari orientali. Originale, accessibile, unico.
Ok, dopo tutti questi complimenti devo però riconoscere che non è nelle mie corde, potrei indossarlo una volta all'anno per ricordare cosa significhi un buon, vero profumo. Lo stimo ma non ho sentimenti di amore per lui.

mkmpoon
mkmpoon

I have heard so much about Habinita Molinard that I decided to have a go ordering online. When I sprayed it on I found it very intense. After a few moments, the ylang ylang, musk, vanilla notes came out. It has long staying power and I felt sensual and mysterious. It's deeper and darker than Chanel 5 and defnitely the scent for more sophisticated women. Whenever I wear it I receive many compliments. I am glad to have it.

katiebisme
katiebisme

You're so right Habanita! I wore it to bed last night and it was still humming along this morning. A wonderful scent.

I'm a big fan of Habanita as you can guess :)
It's inexpensive, it's great with wonderful lasting power. The scent even goes on the next day.
The beginning might be a bit harsh but soon it fades to the middle and endnotes. I got so many compliments for this scent. To me it's a "full diva" scent and not for shy girls. I hear people saying they smell vanilla and honey in this, but it's not so sweet as e.g. Angel. It's a sophisticated classic scent I would recommend for going out. It's a grown up scent and not for young girls. The scent has a warm and yummy but also very comforting effect.

logicmuppet
logicmuppet

I have been wearing this all weekend, and I'm in love.

If you want to get an impression of the scent, run down to Walmart and grab a cheap mini of Tabu. I wore Tabu on one arm and Habanita on the other. They are in the same family, for sure, and if you hate Tabu, you will probably hate Habanita too. However, if you sort of like the Tabu, but wish it was nicer and less harsh, you will more than likely dig the Habanita.

Habanita is rich, dark, smooth and powdery. It is a woman in a slinky but tasteful gown who is holding a scotch on the rocks and purring "I like you" into the ear of a handsome man.

Norgirl
Norgirl

wow this is a realy interesting fragrance .
I cant quite deside if i like it or not . only tested it jet .
but this have so much going one . It is very smokey to me . At first i get a little wiff of the flowers and berrys, the middlenotes gets in realy fast on me . the Orris rot are absoultly there and the ylange ylange. It is a bit heavy and Lady like . If i shold put a picture to this stage i would pick a grown up lady , shure off here self , sexy , desired by many , and quite bold .
I feel like this is a perfume that must be worn in the right mood off a lady . it is quite sexy , and like on a hunt perfume . he he ...For a night out maybe?
i do get the resamblens to Shalimar . but infact i like this better ,
I put it on this morning to test . but i had to wash it off because i dident think it fit my slow mood for the day off . this is more off a night fragrance .
I guess i have to try it when im in the Mood for it ..smooky lethery , nice , but is it for me ?? that remains to be seen:)

shenanigans
shenanigans

To me it is very similar to Rive Gauche, which I am not crazy about. I do like this one more after about an hour, but to me that is too long to wait for just ok. I didn't find it too dramatic, just kind of musty as opposed to rich. A shame because it almost gets there and I feel like I missed out on a fun find.

Vamy69
Vamy69

Man where do I start with this one? Can you say SEXY? SEDUCTIVE? DARK? HOT? I LOVE this perfume. It is one of the most sensual fragrances ever. It lasts for an eternity on skin and just oozes sex appeal. I bought this blind just because of the notes alone and I was blown away at how fabulous it is. I can't believe it took me this long to get a bottle of this seductive juice. If you are into dark sensual leathery ambery powdery scents then by all means run out and get yourself a bottle of this ASAP! FANTASTIC!

olga1780
olga1780

Oh, man...I was so sure that after Bal a Versailles and Rumba my nose is steeled against pretty much everything. But one spray of Habanita almost knocked me over. It does get significantly more nose friendly after about an hour, but wouldn't come off for days if you just leave it on. It does have some similarities with Shalimar, but Shalimar is by far superior in refinement.
Let me tell you, it can be much more enjoyable if you stop thinking of crotches and dirty underwear and just take a look at the notes, because it is very comforting scent and yes, sexy.
I'm not sure i will ever be wearing in public, but I am glad I could experience this classic. And yes, I surely can appreciate its quality and complexity.

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

UPDATE:

Not as scary as I thought!

It falls in the same familiar old-school Oriental family as Shalimar & Maja (vintage formula).

Baby powder, booze, vanilla, roses, leather, sweet tobacco, and spice. It's sexy, timeless, and screams bad girl! I could see myself wearing this, but I almost feel it would require a uniform of whips and chains to go along with... this stuff is intense!

The word "familiar" can have several senses or meanings. For example you can say that a perfume is familiar when it reminds you of other perfumes or, in the case of Habanita, when it simply makes you feel comfortable. This fragrance plays on several universally familiar smells (baby powder, vanilla, flowers) and gives them a sexy twist moving back and forth from naivety and malice and doing it with an incredible "nonchalance". After a quite impressive and distinctive opening with a smoky flowers bouquet wrapped in leather, it morphes into a sweet and warm musky leather and vanilla drydown. In this phase it stays colse to the skin and at the same time definitely remarks its presence that's dangerously sexy and unforgettable. An unique perfume that can do great also on a man.

Angel10
Angel10

"If you can imagine dousing yourself in baby powder, donning an old leather jacket and then smoking a cigar in a closed room with a single rose in a vase 10 feet away, you’ll get the general idea" (online review quote)

I'll be getting this! ...it's on it's way.....yipeee!

Update: Rec'd, and it is EXACTLY as described above. Not scary at all, but not my style. I remember this smell from taxis when I was a child.

This smell seems like it would suit a man better than a woman to me...

efm
efm

I like it but am not getting the down and dirty experience I had hoped for.

Certainly not girly, prissy or pretty but still a little too conventional.

Bandit is too much, Habanita is not enough.
Cabochard is for beginners.

Where to from here ?

Molinard's Habanita was first designed as a fragrance to scent cigarettes. As an occasional smoker myself, I can certainly see how this fragrance could mesh well with the scent of smokey, stale tobacco smoke. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of cigarettes, especially on a man even though I know it's a dirty habit. Molinard's Habanita for this reason, is a little piece of heaven.

Habanita opened quite strongly on my skin with rich, shiny leather notes, sweet, powdery peach and nose-burning resins. It was like a more potent version of Bvlgari's Black at first, dark, rubbery and slightly masculine.

As it settled, the floral accords began to immerge, in a sweet, baby-powderish manner with subtle hints of smokey tobacco, leather and resins. Occasionally it smelt like red vintage lipstick, that odd cosmetic smell I come across in classic scents sometimes. I find this combination quite delicious and strangely sexual, in a sadistic and masochistic way.

Habanita is the scent of a strong, confident and powerful woman who does not mess around, she gets straight down to business. It almost blows my mind with how raunchy and wicked this fragrance is. I love wearing this because it's so different from what I usually reach for on a daily basis.

My man, although he was a little taken aback at first, adores this scent on me. He says it smells like I've just spent the day with some hot lesbian bikers in leather get-up, smoked a few too many cigarettes and came back to him smelling clean and powdery but dirty at the same time. His description is actually far more exact than my own.

All in all, as I've said, this is an extremely powerful fragrance and one that lasts a decade on the skin too. I highly recommend to everyone and anyone, and I think those that dismiss it are fools because it's a classic for reason, and a good reason at that. Thankyou Adrien02 for gifting me this beautiful fragrance.

mrenee32
mrenee32

well based on all these reviews, i did get myself a sample and it is not at all what I expected. I have to wash it off that is how much I don't like it. I did not expect the heavy baby powder smell to be so prominent. I never want to smell of baby powder. It would make more sense to just buy that (and cheaper)... This is probably the first disappointing perfume I ever purchased. Sorry everyone...this one is a stinker.

chuaalba
chuaalba

Espectacular,cálido,dulce,con mucha personalidad.De los perfumes mas maravillosos que he tenido en mi vida.Un gran acierto!!!

la louve
la louve

I´m totally impressed of this fragrance and I´m so glad, that I found it... I bought now 2 bottles and I hope they will last a while... ;-) I was locking for a "special" leather-fragrance and than I found this beauty! Happy-happy-happy! Smelling smoky without smoking... great! ;-D

rednut
rednut

Woody and smokey,heavy, dark, gothic. Jazz clubs at 2am. I cannot compare it to anything else as it is such a unique smell. Its longevity is incredible. I think its a scent everyone should try but only about 10% will wear it. I love it but can see that it's not for everyone.

aelias
aelias

Do not shy away from this one....the dry down is definitely worth waiting for if you are put off by the initial burst of fragrance with the first spray. I love wearing these orientals since so many people won't give them a chance. It makes wearing perfume more special when everyone else is not walking around with the same scent.

zielona
zielona

Ohhh this is just impossibly good.
When I used it for the first time I thought "well, powder - nothing special", but! Then it started changing: to sweet, leathery, slightly rosy, powdery tobacco. Amazing and so addictive.
I can easily imagine a crowded, jazz club and women with bobbed hair, fitting hats and in tight, sleek dresses, smoking lots of cigarettes. And wearing Habanita.
It's mind-blowing and seducing.
Truly a masterpiece.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Ay ! When you first spray on Habanita this foxy lady will swirl around you asking for a dance ! :-)

This is a very unusual scent. Potent and seductive, reminding me just a little bit of Poison but without the fruits.
Habanita has a good portion of leather in it but very very soft and musk, mixed with tobacco and some spices and flowers.
Floriental and nothing for ladies who prefer "quiet" scents. Habanita is salsa through and through and will get you noticed !
The "baby powder" note is noticeable but I very much enjoy it. It is part of this strong but yet soft perfume.
Use it for a night out in town or on a date - you will feel extraordinary wearing it.
Besides, the black opaque bottle is beautiful !

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

On first spritz, I get the strongest blast of baby powder, EVER! This phase lasts a long time...well over an hour. Wondering where all of these exotic notes are hiding? This is one dark, exotic, sister. Seems just perfect for a big, loud, rawkus night out downtown in the middle of winter...Indian food and then bar-hopping and clubs...A scent that will make me get into trouble when I wear it. That much is certain.

Lady Love
Lady Love

This fragrance Blow my mind. This is an intense, powdery, darkly seductive vanilla/tobacco fragrance, with so addictive leather notes. The scent lasts longer than any perfume I have, it certainly lasts and I've only used a drop or two.

I feel Habanita is the rebel lady-killer and risk-taker sister of Tabac blond.

The bottle is an outstanding Lalique design.

If you enjoy big masterpice like Mitsouko or Shalimar, you will love this.

ouchka
ouchka

Great oriental perfume. On my skin, it smells mainly of vanilla. I wear it only in the winter because it reminds me of christmas dishes and warm cozy places. At the same time, I also like to wear it when I travel in exotic places such as Jaipur or Cairo.

I am not a fan of oriental perfumes but this one is an exception. It makes me feel like a "femme fatale" but a sweet one :)

nyoka
nyoka

AH Habanita! What a ride! This conjurs up images of a female lion tamer walking into the arena with a short black leather suit on.LOng leather gloves and a whip.The animals r let in,everyone bareing their teeth and groweling when,the biggest,blackest panther u have ever seen imerges.At first the panther wont obey his mistress and slaps at her whip,turning his massive head to look her straight in the eye.She makes deep eye contact and (FEELS)his strength and power coming out.Everything for a brief second stands still.Its as if time is frozen.In that brief second,she smiles knowing she of all people can tame this beast.

She cracks her whip and down from his stand he crawls.Just when things have escalated to the crowd feeling as small as ants,the beast turns and eyes her again! This time he lunges at her.But,she is not afraid.He wraps his mighty paws around her and they roll on the floor.The crowd is going wild,the heat,passion and unrealness of it is almost to hard to bear.

Just when they think they can stand no more,the big cat licks the mistress all over her faceand begins purring.The mistress has won.

Habanita is dark,passoniate and dangerous.Can u b one of the select ones to tame him?

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

Yes, yes, yes! This is about the smokiest, dirtiest, sexiest scent I have ever come across.

I got a little gun shy about blind buys. So I decided to go for just a lowly little sample of Habanita. After all, the reviews here are a little controversial. I wouldn't want to be disappointed.

I'm glad I was cautious but let me tell you, I would have been happy buying a gallon of this blind. It is everything I want in a fall/winter perfume.

Starts off spicy, then stays spicy, but has a little kick...then the drydown is tobacco and spices and leather and something really, really dirty and sexy. It reminds me of the way I find myself attracted to a man who smells like cigarettes...even though I don't smoke and hate the idea of second-hand smoke.

Habanita, you are one sexy devil, even if you taste like an ashtray.

Update: This stuff lasts and lasts...Up to 10 hours on my skin. It's one of thos apply in the evening and still smell in the morning scents. And this is for the EDT. Not sure about sillage as I am actually a bit afraid to wear it in public yet. As it gets to the leathery-powdery phase, about 20-30 minutes after applying, it takes on a slight hint of crotch, which I'm afraid others may not perceive as "perfume".

VKW
VKW

My bottle of Habanita arrived, bought online after reading all these wonderful reviews, and girls, you've nailed it. This is a perplexing perfume! It started warm and spicey, but by lunchtime (locked in a closed meeting) my colleagues were wondering "what that fuel-ey smell is". This evening it has lost its annoying, cloying punch, but is still going stong on leather and dirt. It certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea. It's a high risk proposition - I'd not wear it on a first date, but it might be just the thing for a seduction. I like that perfumes like Habanita are made - we don't all want to smell like roses and jasmine all the time!

milena
milena

Recieved my perfume today mmmmm smells a little fruity and slightly sweet candy kind of smell like bubble gum, with a little leather scent.Thats the first stage then couple of minutes later after a rubbery leathery sweet smell comes along this mysterious rich and soft powdery tobacco scent.very alluring complex sexy scent.Very mysterious.That s what it smells like on my skin.A srong baby powder in the drydown but with a twist, mature and elegant.

Everything you've heard and read about Molinard HABANITA is true: this really is a complex perfume! Now, whether or not one likes it, that's another matter, which clearly depends more on the skin of the wearer than the composition itself.

HABANITA opens bright, sweet, and fruity with a decidedly "going to be an oriental-vanilla fragrance" feeling. Wrong. One minute later, HABANITA begins to manifest a dark rubbery note which also has--as others have observed--a diesel oil cast. I would describe this as close to the smell of burnt tires, but not quite to the point of tar, a scent which I find often in myrrh-rich perfumes. Here it is the leather, apparently, which turns to dark rubber on my skin.

Just when I'm ready to dismiss HABANITA forever, however, a beautiful creamy woody oriental drydown appears! This stage is scrumptious, luscious and comfy, and the leather note has finally settled down to the point where vague memories of the opening begin to return. Except that the drydown exhibits the richness of wood and benzoin notes, which transform what might have been a mere fragrance into a perfume.

Conclusion: for about half of its relatively lengthy life, HABANITA is truly a pleasure to wear! But was it worth the wait, slogging through fields of old tires covered with diesel grease? About that, I am unclear.

poison
poison

Oh dear, oh my....I need to tell you all that I am in love with a new fragrance, and yes it is Habanita...

If I could make some stars for fragrances on a famous street, like the best Hollywood actors
have in America, I would sure pick Habanita. I waited for so long to discover this beauty, and I finally have it now, I was so excited, and the first impression was very good. You almost don't need to spray it to make an idea about what Habanita means. It is enough to smell the cap or the atomizer to be hit with a strong cigarette smoke mixed with vanilla in your face. Then if you survive the impact, and you dare to spray it, you will notice a bitter dusty smell, that would drive many people away from it.
After a short time, the bitter smell disappears
and leaves room to the greasy smell, that Catbiscuit was talking about...
If you resist to this too, you'll discover a treasure that Habanita is,
a creamy and powdery and greasy and cigarette smelling perfume.

Of course, my opinion is very subjective, and I am describing it, like I feel it on my skin.

If this managed to resist for almost a century, it really deserves to be on the list of the greatest perfumes ever...Like No 5, Mitosuko, Miss dior and Vent Vert (from the well known)
Wearing this you will sure be noticed by everybody, want it or not...And since
I like strong and heavy orientals this is perfect for my vanity.

Being a good perfume doesn't mean to be a best seller, but to resist no matter how many sweet of death and average smells are created with years and to fascinate our souls even though the fashion in scents has changed many times from 1921 till now.

I love you Habanita! (EDT)

adrienn99
adrienn99

well... this might be a surprising or heavy fragrance for those who usually use florals/floral-fruities. Actually, I am not a great fan of heavy perfumes myself either and I do not find Habanita overwhelming (someone compared in to Shalimar but I think this is not so much of a smack in the face, yelling)

It is sweet/powdery but on me it comes out more in its feminine dimensions...(not with the wish-i-was-a-boy girl/rubber/etc. fragrance), at instances it even reminds me of Serge Lutens Chergui...

To me this perfume creates a picture of a woman sitting by a table in a restaurant. Dressed in a decent tight black dress that does not show too much of her. She is confident and could spend her time alone but there is something magnetic about her that everybody notices.

So I would say the ad is about right except the woman wearing Habanita is less approachable

soniamcalear

I can't understand anyone having a negative effect from this perfume but that seems to be the case with some folks. I think this is the most beautiful POWDERY scent ive ever smelled and it is now one of my signature scents without a doubt! Thanks cisco for endowing me with this beautiful scent!

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

What is this??!! When it first opens it smells like my dad if he came home from his job as a train mechanic with grease stained hands, standard issue steel capped boots and a snifter of scotch at the pub. It is butch and I like it.

All of a sudden, it is a creamy earthy floral vanilla with a tinge of burnt rubber underneath. Hmmm, interesting.

Progresses to a delicious cedar spiced vanilla/benzoin combo. I think I might be persuaded...

I can imagine a biker chick wearing this. Smoke wafting from her nose, sitting on her diesel bike, leather jacket and hair matted from her helmet. Sigh. It makes me wish I was a biker chick.

I am not sure if I can wear this but I am certainly enjoying its drama and smokin' hot sex appeal.

cisco
cisco

Just received my tester and I am in a state of confusion....I hate it, I love it. Before the dry down I hated it. Now that is is dry it smells sort of like Shalimar. Shalimar and Habanita are not quiet little girls. They are assertive women. I don't know if I am assertive enough for this fragrance. I'll be back when I make up my mind. I must say, it is smelling better and better all the time. I have the EDT. The EDP must be like a nuclear explosion.

Update: Purchased it, lost my nerve, swapped it to Sonia for the much more mundane Obsession. I still love it though and feel pleased that Sonia is honoring it as one of her favorite scents.

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

Sexy, moody, shadowy and mysterious. This is _not_ a young girl’s perfume. To be sure, there is nothing like it on earth. A dark and dusky red rose with leather leaves and musky petals. A fragrance way ahead of its time. I'm of the mind that every woman should try a sample - perhaps even some men might enjoy this one! Unbelievably sensual and creative... it does not disappoint. This fragrance if for late nights with the one you love and a clever woman who likes to come to the party dressed in leather, lace and several strands of pearls wrapped around her neck. It's hard to believe this could have been you grandmother's perfume (or perhaps not)!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I really wanted to like this perfume, and thought I would based on the reviews above; unfortunately, the ONLY thing I could smell on my skin was baby powder. From opening to dry down, that was it...Oh, well, good thing it was only a sample!

Sissi
Sissi

Cigarette & Roses a bit of Wiskey and a
touch of Incense Bring this into an
Elegant Testament Which i find amusing
Picturing a smoke filled dark Cabaret;
A Male Impersonator ala Marlene Dietrich
Julie Andrews in Victor and Victoria
it's a sensuality to a Sexualy Repressed Convent School Educated girl Like
Madchen in Uniform like Senerio then
she sings
*Wenn ich mir was wunschen durft*.

at the end of the song she leans over
and slowly kisses the girl and this was a sexual Awaking for this Schoolgirl.

Picturing David Bowie in his
Berlin years Eleganly Dressed with a cigerette on his hand and a pint of wiskey on the other. in the Movie just a Gigolo. The darkly Oud i can dechphier
in this perfume like the deadly Sexuality of Rudolph Valentino and Pola Negri sizzling on the screen to a bewildered Movie Goers. Japanese Silent movie Star Sessue Hayakawa Seducing
the wife of a British Admiral.

The powdery rose brings you to mind
Opera of the Last Diva.
the Bottle is very Beautiful Greek
Nymphs Engraved in a Opaque Bottle
very ideal for home decoration when the bottle is empty Leather makes it Dangerous.

If you can find sex in a bottle this is it. i give it a 10!

Persephone
Persephone

Stunning! While Habanita EDT delivers a bit too much powder and smells to me like a boudoir of a hopelessly aging variete dancer, the pure parfum concentration is just right (one with the pump). If this perfume were a woman, it indeed would be Theda Bara, a silent screen vamp of the early cinema - not a classical beauty by all means, but oh those hungry eyes. A glorious, mesmerazing and somewhat strange combination of vanilla and vetiver, a marriage of The Beauty and the Beast respectively, that doesn't smell of either in the end - just dark lucious nameless flowers of a fantasy garden.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

When you just spray Habanita, you almost afraid, that it going to look like oldwomanish. But gradually it opens with something tabako-rozy-vanilla-vintage powdertish smell. It is absolutely wearable, nice and strong simoultaneously. I imagine a lady, who goes for ballet or opera, put it on her skin, before she close the door.

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

this is the funkiest, sweatiest, most 3D scent i own.
more so than tabu, which was my go to skank.
love it love it love it
it is what i imagined civet to smell like
but i guess that's the combination of the amber and musk
...stayed with me
for.
ever.

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

Habanita is a soft oriental with a heady, bitter opening. The drydown is a lot calmer - dusty, leathery and easy to wear. I find it very similar to Balahe and I recently discovered that they have a lot of notes in common - orange blossom, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, musk and vanilla. Habanita is more powdery in the base and the leather note is very disctinguishable, at least on my skin. I also smell tobacco which is not listed in the notes. I would classify Balahe, Habanita and LouLou as classic orientals with definite retro sounding. I appreciate the complexity and character of every one of the three but LouLou is my favourite and the only one I would repurchase.

soulsong
soulsong

Habanita starts out chypre sharp, then quickly evolves into a powdery heart. But after a few hours the balance between the leather and powder is absolutely perfect. Then I think this is a perfect chypre.The leather slightly predominates, but is softened by the fading powdery effect. The three stage evolution makes it very worthwhile, so wear and smell for several hours.

hollycat
hollycat

To me this scent is way too powdery for me. Its great for those who enjoy powerdy scents. It has elegance to it, a bit of sexyness. Its like a hybrid of L heur blue and bvlgari black.

not bad, but not for me.

BronxBeauty
BronxBeauty

Habanita is the scent of 1920s oriental boudoir -- what Theda Bara might have worn in her Vamp phase. It's resolutely old-fashioned. This is one fragrance that has NOT been reformulated -- so contemporary noses, used to the clean, corporate, focus-grouped scents, would definitely find it offensive. It goes on animalic (to the point of being goaty) but then subsides to something searing, even sexy. Not a scent for the faint of heart or lovers of fashion, but one for hip chicks and perfume adventurers.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

It's a beautiful name, and I am surprised that I find it wearable...So far I can't say I like it, but I am not ready to swap the sample--one drop on the wrist wasn't a proper end to my relationship with Habanita.

It is kind of waxy, exactly in the way of old lipstick...It's dusty and smells dated, but it is a classic oriental that everyone should smell once--even if, like me, you are pretty sure you wouldn't like it. I kind of like the smell of old lipstick, and there are many shades of dusty--some dusty scents cause sneezing fits, some make me want to do some discovering. Habanita is the latter.
I find the leather-amber combination attractive, it blends nicely with the orris root and the ylang ylang--The wealth of notes is obvious to me, as I smell less rose, less jasmine, not too much lilac, and the base is just busy and not so straightforward--mysterious, if you will.
I think that if I decide I like this, and wear it, Habanita would become one of my "selfish scents"-but I still find this interesting enough, that I would love to see whether it is really so dated, and finally get somebody to tell me I smell "old"...I've never been told that yet, and it seems like a certain accomplishment among perfumistas to provoke this response. If I wear it, and somebody reacts positively to it, it would be extra exciting, whether or not I want to make this scent mine.

rockrose
rockrose

This one is a tough one to describe. It starts with a rather harsh opening a la Tabac Blond, Vol de Nuit, and En Avion, and if it hadn't been for positive reviews I'd read long ago, I'd have scrubbed it right then. So I waited. On my skin, Habanita almost immediately sheds it tough exterior, and moves right into the softer notes of amber, ylang-ylang, vanilla and oakmoss. Yes, the leather is still there hanging around, but I feel that's a good thing (Jolie Madame is one of my favorites!).
I don't feel it's dusty, so much as it is powdery, kind of like L'Heure Bleue and Bal a Versailles. When I think of dusty, I think of Mitsouko, which doesn't mesh at all with my chemistry. I definitely get the Johnson's baby powder comparison, but this fragrance is so much more than that. This may be hard for some to believe, but I consider this a comfort scent. Very warm and sexy, and best left stored away until cold weather comes.

vioversilver
vioversilver

The bottle was the first thing that captured my attention , the dark nymph design by Lalique , very art nouveau.
Very cool since I love fantasy art ,mermaids , fairies, nymphs , elves , ect.
I happen to think the spanish name is very pretty also.

Habanita starts out very tough! - tabacco , leather , liqour! earthy and kind of on the hard side , kind of a biker mama !

Since I have rode a motorcycle before -and I don't mean riding on the back seat either ,this scent captures that fearless, tough mama side of me quite well. But wait ..

It changes , after a bit, on my skin into something alot softer, with the earthiness still there, never gone - orange blossom comes in with something like vanilla taffy candy or even mocha cappuccino comes to mind - rich and warm - soft and sweet.

Florals come in next for me , especially the rose and the ylang ylang.

I 'm thinking this will do especially well in cooler weather since its so warm and rich.

This scent shows the tough side first which can be strong and intense for sure, but give it time and it will show you its softer side that was there the whole time.

Complex, wonderful and yea, 'don't give a damn sexy'.
This is a keeper for me.

Since this really is a strong perfume apply with a light hand .
Note: this is not a scent for just any chic either, you do have to have the right personality to be comfortable with Habanita!

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

This is a fabulous classic and what a joy to wear after all the oceans of candy/friut/florals that dominate the market today. This may be an acquired taste but it is worth trying if you want something different with character and class.The combination of fruit, spice, tobacco and vanilla is a glorious balance between masculine and feminine and very alluring if worn with the right attitude.

9154mf
9154mf

I bought this unsniffed because of the reviews stating it is a sexy, femme fatale scent blah blah. All this smell slike to me is an old fashioned high end perfumey-lipstick. The waxy lipstick smell but most of all a powdery scent. I didn't find this appealing and neither did anyone around me that I polled. I can understand this being sexy way back when it first came out, but not now, no I don't think this fits the definition of sexy at all. The only place I could see this working is possibly at a whips and leather swingers night - its got this trashy kind of thing going on.

MoietToi
MoietToi

I would really like to try this one it seems so sophisticated and very classy. Oh yeah the name Habanita reminds me of this song from George Bizets Carmen : "Habanera".

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

Habanita. Definitely an acquired taste. Something about it reminds me of Shalimar, but less smokey/gasoline/burnt rubber-like. Ok, that sounds horrible...but I love Shalimar, so naturally, I love this too. I actually find it more wearable than Shalimar (on my skin at least).

I don't get any fruits here. The flowers also seem to be hiding somewhere unknown to me. Instead, I get a dry, tantilizingly earthy, musky, slightly sweet tobacco & orris root aroma. Though this is an older perfume, I just can't call this dated. Calling it so would be an insult to all wonderfully-composed vintage fragrances. I, for one, am pleased with this. Habanita has the "balls" to be unique (as compared to many of these other fragrances). I can picture a woman with an I-don't-give-a-damn look, smoking a sweet-smelling cigar, with leathery sun-drenched skin, dark smoldering eyes, disheveled hair, working hard over a meal she is preparing...but still sexy in her own right. Don't mess with her though. She could drop-kick you with her eyes alone.

I've been wanting to try this famous fragrance for long time and when I finally got a sample I was disappointed.
It's not bad smelling. Actually it's very interesting but too weird and - hate to say this - it smells so old. Ithink it smells old because it has been around for many years and it was probably all the hype when I came out.
Maybe it's a matter of chemistry. On my skin it smells so dusty, like an old house. It's all dust and smoked Baby Shampoo Johnson's with hint of hairspray. Too bad. I think it's a masterpiece in its on kind.

lillybee
lillybee

A nice and well-balanced little sister of Shalimar, the resemblance on my skin is striking though Habanita is softer, sweeter and generally 'well-behaved'. On my skin the most dominant notes are lilac, orris root, jasmine, leather and vanilla. It's a dark, 'old-fashioned', dusty and woody oriental with 'dried flowers kept in old drawer' floral tones and a quite sweet vanilla topping.

nadzieja
nadzieja

Great! Deep, rich, heavy, bitter and very, very sweet. Sometimes a bit inconvenient in the beginning, but after some time ... phew! Lasts for days.
Can be worn all the day, but you have to be in Habanita's type. If not - she won't be comfortable with you.

memechose
memechose

I have worn this since 24 yrs old. I think its closer to a chypre(oakmoss base), than a oriental, although Michael Edwards classifies it as a Woody oriental.But structurally it reacts on me like chypres...

If you can afford the pure perfume it is nite and day from edt, like going from black and white to HD. On me its not heavy or dark, like Mitsouko. As Mr.lerouge-bernard said in the interview about Molinard, its for a very specific woman....

allexa27
allexa27

very nice and wearable classic.Not like some other that can give u a headache and make u dizzy.smells like sweet tobacco,very nice...

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

habanita is lovely. it feels very self assured and feminine. more than anything it is powdery but has some fruit. if you really dislike tobacco, this would not be a good choice. otherwise, definitely worth a go!

solocha
solocha

My encounter with Habanita is marked by a load of respect I built upon sniffing it. It was raining drearily, under clowd like in autumn yesterday and when I tried the sample I didn't know what to think, where to locate myslef. This is truly a dark scent, but to me the first notes were morbid. In other words, it didn't go with me, the what I guessed as indolic notes gave me impression of carcass and instantly brought anxiety to my mind.
Later, the middle notes came out within 3-4 hours, the scent grew into a civilised, intense perfume of an important femme-fatale-like personage. It was a perfume of the first half of the past century, of black and white films when glamour was real because it was rare and uncopied. Habanita is appealing once it develops the middle notes. I could distinguish rich, almost rotting fruits and complex heavy flowers. I will try it again but I doubt this will be my favourite - it's too scary.

eljayebee
eljayebee

If you can stand the sharp (almost bitter) first 5 minutes, you may love this, as I (and my husband) do. The only scent I have found where the "leather" notes don't produce a hot rubber smell on me(i.e. Knize Ten!). Just gets muskier and sexier the longer it stays on my skin. And it DOES last - all night and into the next morning. Erotic and earthy, I don't wear this one to work.

Habanita is typical oriental,old fashioned fragrance that you can imagine your mum wearing it.but I'm sure it was good enough at the year it came out.
the opening is sharp,full of oriental flowers and a bit bitter.
ylang-ylang is very dominant and the whole smelling is very familiar to my nose.it's a bit like Mahora by geurlain,the original escada fragrance and a bunch of classic perfumes.
to me this is too sweet and sharp to take,though the smelling becomes milder after a while,the sweetness doesn't disappear.
by the way I like the idea of the bottle very much;the woman with long hairs,just a classic feature of a woman,but mysterious at the same time;just the fragrance in it.

Ambraselvaggia
Ambraselvaggia

One of the most revolutionary fragrances I ever tried, although it dates back to more than 80 years ago. Yes, it is not for everyone... but if you want to make yourself unbelievable, just try it!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I love Molinard de Molinard and had high hopes for Habanita. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

In spite of the complexity of the notes, the overall effect of this fragrance on my skin was that of baby powder. Johnson and Johnson baby powder. That's not a bad smell, but I was expecting a bit more from this legend of the perfume world. I definitely recommend sampling first.

mahanta
mahanta

Unfortunately this is so far the only perfume which keeps fighting with my skin chemistry, and the outcome is really unpleasant, reminding of an ancient attic full of dusty chests and old-fashioned clothes:( I regret it so much because I wanted to love it judging by notes and reviews. The only way I can tolerate it is layering with Rose Essentielle. Oh, well, there are still other fish in the sea;=)

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

This truly is a dusty oriental-so well put by tessture. It describes this perfume perfectly. I don't think I have ever experienced a perfume, except maybe Mitsouko (Sp?) that has that dusty scent to it. This one is spicy, powdery, dusty, strangly sexy, and incredibly long lasting on the skin. It is surprising to me the level of powder this one gives off. And it is odd because that powdery scent mixed with spice, musk, and leather is indeed an unusual combination. But I enjoy wearing this one-it's perfect for cold weather-and I can catch brief moments when I'm wearing this perfume when I am struck by how sexy it is. Probably not for everyone but if you like heavy and dark perfumes, this one is really worth a try.

Heavy, dusty oriental that smells dated on my skin. Contrarily, my sister can wear this in the same fashion as En Avion or Vol de Nuit. This is more affordable than those, but must be sampled.

Habanita by Molinard 4.04 out of 5 based on 920 ratings and 222 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Molinard Habanita fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Molinard Habanita, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Habanita by Molinard. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Habanita by Molinard represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.