Designers » M » Chypre Fruity « Groups

Fete Molyneux for women

Fete Molyneux for women
dislike

leather

Fete by Molyneux is a Chypre Fruity fragrance for women. Fete was launched in 1962. Top notes are caraway, plum, peach, bergamot and brazilian rosewood; middle notes are lilac, orris root, jasmine and ylang-ylang; base notes are leather, sandalwood, benzoin, civet, oakmoss and vanilla.

Caraway Plum Peach Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood

Lilac Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang

Leather Sandalwood Benzoin Civet Oakmoss Vanilla

Derby

Fete Fragrance Reviews

grayspoole
grayspoole

There's not much information around for Molyneux's Fete (1962), with only a grand total of 23 Fragranticans saying that they have it (including me). Fete was also the name of an older Molyneux scent, launched in 1927, but I can find no information on whether the 60's scent bears any relationship to the older version.

Fete is listed as a "chypre fruity" in the database, and there aren't too many vintage versions of this genre, although many hugely popular modern designer scents fall into this category. The Great and Powerful Mitsouko (1919) is the starting point for this genre, along with Femme (1943), Patou Colony (1938), Balenciaga Quadrille (1955), and Dana 20 Carats (1933).

I think it might be more accurate to call Fete a "chypre fruity floral woody oriental." Barbara Herman gives Fete a very positive review, saying "You get a little bit of everything with this." I agree with much of her description, although my nose diverges from Barbara's on a few things. Compared to Mitsouko, Fete opens brighter, much more hesperidic, with the tart bergamot crowding in on the sweeter fruit notes. As a result, Fete's fruitiness feels pulpy and fresh and more modern in feeling, while the fruit in Mitsouko and Femme always reminds me of dried, slightly dusty fruit leather in a jar. Mitsouko is sweeter than Fete from the start.

And that brings us to the caraway note in Fete, which is most definitely present. Caraway, which is like cumin but a little sweeter, gives Fete a slightly raffish, vegan animalic quality that I enjoy, a little like Coriandre. If coriander and cumin notes immediately make you think of unwashed armpits, stay away from Fete. Barbara Hermann smells this note as cumin, and there is definitely a resemblance between caraway and cumin, which makes Fete the grandmother of the 1989's reformulated Femme, rather than of the original 1943 version of Femme, which was itself the ancestor of Fete (if you are still following me..)

Fete's floral notes play backup to all of the fruit and spice. I get jasmine and ylang ylang, perhaps carnation. No presence of lilac or orris to my nose (perhap they are hiding under the caraway?) As Fete dries down, it slowly transforms. The fruits and flowers ebb, and Fete becomes decidely amber-ish or oriental in feeling. I don't smell any civet in Fete, and the leather is really just a suggestion. I get benzoin, perhaps a little vanilla, oakmoss, and a wonderful sandalwood. The wild party that is Fete has forced me to rethink my categorization of 1960's scents. Where did Fete come from? I wish I knew who designed this concoction!

mereltje
mereltje

I found a 30 ml bottle here in Holland. It's almost full. I think it's from the 80's. It's a round bottle with silver top, and it's an eau de toilette. It's a soft smell; I don't realy like it. I smell something of caraway and thats nothing my thing. If there is someone who will take this one from me in Holland for a reasonable price, you can mail me.

OMG, look at the notes of this one!! Persephone help me out here!!

Fete by Molyneux 3.92 out of 5 based on 27 ratings and 3 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Molyneux Fete fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Molyneux Fete, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Fete by Molyneux. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Fete by Molyneux represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.