Designers » M » Oriental Floral « Groups

Musc Mona di Orio for women and men

Musc Mona di Orio for women and men
dislike

Musc Mona di Orio for women and men Pictures Musc Mona di Orio for women and men Pictures

Some musks are take-no-prisoners. Some are fleeting, or the scent of clean skin. Musc in Mona di Orio’s deft hand is heartbreakingly lovely: the softest of rose, the most delicate of heliotrope, the most angelic of neroli. The musk at the base of the scent implies the hidden carnality under all that radiant innocence, making it as captivating as it is unforgettable.

Neroli

Rose Heliotrope

Tonka Bean Musk

Musc Fragrance Reviews

cloyd42
cloyd42

I'm usually puzzled when people say a perfume smells old-fashioned but this is definitely old-fashioned in a pleasant rather sentimental way. Lots and lots of heliotrope, some tonka, and a bit of that pastry note that the more delicate Guerlain perfumes have. I'm not getting any neroli at all, which would greatly improve this. Not bad but nothing special.

Sillage: 2-3 feet
Longevity: 3-4 hours
Value to price ratio: poor, for this price get the Villaresi
Fabulosity: Granny and Tweety-bird

polly golightly
polly golightly

muschio dolce che ricorda un bel po' teint de neige di villoresi, senza però quell'effetto di borotalco. non si tratta di un muschio bianco (per fortuna) nè del muschio erbaceo, ma piuttosto di un muschio non troppo invasivo perchè sostenuto da eliotropo e fave di tonka. il risultato è un bouquet dolce e leggermente saponoso, che non comprerei, ma che non mi disturba troppo. discreto.

Q80
Q80

I remember when sampling "Musc" few years back (2013 maybe) and so as Ambre, i didn't like any of them! or in another words, i didn't understand any of them cause i was so much concentrating on "Cuir" as it was presented to me by a seller in a niche shop & it was one of the weirdest fragrances that my nose experienced back then that even took me days and weeks to accept it, got along with it, fell in love for it, got used to it, and then wanted to experience something weirder than it (Cuir).

From that experience, honestly i didn't understand how the mind works until i meet Jeroen this month, He summed up what i was facing and made me realize that the "NO, NOT FOR ME" rejections was just new scents that i haven't smell before and i am rejecting them just because of that! The weirder things that i have realized after meeting him are the replies i get from the sellers i know for years in some niche shop that i always go to every-time i meet them, they keep on giving me that look of "Really! now you like it? what happened?"... it was because i gave these weird scents more time to understand, find away to enjoy it, and again give it more time, cause who knows it might end up to be one of my favorites! and that what i was exactly experiencing.. for instance, i used to extremely dislike animalics now the animalic is my favorite note! so as for vanilla, & floral.

Now this musc as Jeroen described, he said Mona wanted to create something animalic but she didn't want to use the Civet so she combined few notes to give an animalic with sensuality, something sexy, luring, and full of ecstasy... Eventually .. yes she did... This is a sexy musc, animalic with slight clean fresh.. skin smell (not skin scent) that shouts sexuality AND NOT synthetic in any way and surprisingly it doesn't contain real civet!!!
Superbly blended & balanced.

K1
K1

Orio's Musc is exactly Teint de Neige without powdery effect. In fact it is pretty powdery and heliotrope is responsible for. Musc is silver, soily, clean, feminine, fresh and floral and kinky with high facets of powdery rose and intense musky level that intensify powderyness. Measured dose of coumarin delivers a narcotic aura to this luxurious perfume. This is not an unisex perfume, it's femininity itself.
★★★

مُشک مونا دی اوریو دقیقا همون تینت دی نیژ لورنوز ویلورسی هست بدون حس پودری شدید. در واقع این عطر هم حسابی پودری هست و دقیقا همون گل آفتاب پرست اینجا هم داره نقش اول رو بازی میکنه. مُشک نقره ای، خاکی و خشک، زنونه، تازه و گُلی سکسی هست با لایه های پودری رز و مُشک قدرتمند که حس پودری رو شدت میده. دوز حساب شدۀ کومارین حسی اغواکننده و لوکسی به این عطر میده. این یه عطر یونیسکس نیست، این خود زنانگی هست
★★★

AveParfum
AveParfum

I swear that there are more notes in this perfume than the house suggests. I get a very distinct cassis or possibly berry note in the top. I personally don't like cassis at all. Interestingly that note dies down significantly as the fragrance develops on the skin. Also, the top notes contain an awful plastic scent. I'm not talking about plastic dolls heads, but something more like an old plastic container. Greatly dislike that. The top notes also contain a crisp, crystal musk that is sweet and charming. It is indeed powdery at first but not a powder bomb.

As the perfume develops I get less musk and more heliotrope. Also, it continues to smell sweet, but I smell honey, not tonka or even vanilla. I don't find this particular perfume to be creamy whatsoever but cold and crisp. A cold, crisp, floral musk.

There is certainly rose in the heart, and to be honest, Musc begins to remind me very much of the classic Ombre Rose. Ombre Rose would not have the crystal musk so strongly, and it is more powdery, but I thought it was a good reference point as to the style or character of this perfume. Another reference point could be Mazzolari's Alessandro or even L'Instant Magique, although the latter two play up the creamy, almond/heliotrope theme a lot more.

Despite not liking cassis nor the plastic note, once Musc dries down it is really enjoyable. A few words to describe this perfume are charming, sweet, ladylike, clean and polished.

gelo999
gelo999

Fragrance with a very prominent note of musks, with a powerful heliotrope and a smooth, pale rose note.

The opening of neroli is short and since the beginning appears a note of aldehydes undeclared enduring enough and that brings the whole effect between soap, clean and somewhat waxy. All this combined with heliotrope and musks produces a sensation almond, dense and creamy, all very wraparound at the same complex.
And wake lasts well above the average, with a semilinear evolution.

It's funny, but Musk and Rose Etoile feel them as the most retro versions of Mona, however, Musk is not among my favorites.

Rating: 6.5

KDobiecki
KDobiecki

It is soapy, warm, inviting. A bit too powdery for me. Will finish the sample, but won't purchase full size.

Sociable Hermit
Sociable Hermit

Musc starts out powdery heliotrope and dries down to a powdery tonka scent. For a fragrance named Musc, it's rather strange that musk is not more apparent. I can't say that I detect any rose or neroli. The scent begins very feminine to me, but I can see it being more unisex (still feminine leaning) in the dry down due to the heavy tonka. I do like Musc a lot, but I feel like there's something missing. It almost smells like a base instead of a complete fragrance. Actually, I find it smells rather similar to the last stages of Carner Barcelona Tardes.

Longevity is over 12 hours (2-3 sprays) with moderate projection on my skin.

banorgue
banorgue

Wonderful, mystical and smooth! It can work for those guys who like powedery scents like Dior Homme intense. Dior has a woody quality as well what makes it more masculin.

desdemona7
desdemona7

Very lovely soft musk that on me evolves into soft flowers and even a rose/chamomile type scent. A bit gourmand with the tonka and almonds. Absolutely loooove this. It's very feminine and yummie!

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. The opening reminds me of Habanita (EdT) a bit. The dry down I get tonka bean with a hint of almond, which at this stage reminds me of Midnight in Paris a bit. Projection and longevity are moderate on my skin. All in all, it's a powdery musk. Not the funky animalic kind.

houstcs
houstcs

Colin nailed it, but however intricate it may be, it has nothing on mr. NR's muscs regarding pleasing smell.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Musc opens with a great, dusty, sumptuous white musk symphony, with a load of talcum notes, a bold, waxy, dry vanilla-tonka note, edible "culinary" spices like cardamon, saffron (perhaps) and cumin, a country-like aroma of heliotropin. The elusive rose note will emerge better further on. A great, pleasant blend of tasty notes with a non-dull softness, plushy like a silk pillow dusted with rose petals, vanilla and powder. Extremely cozy, a soapy, wearable, friendly scent – one of the most friendly among di Orio's line. It also shows a remarkable, deep nostalgic feel, its powdery/waxy personality and the soapy-almond roundness smell almost like a tribute to Guerlain, notably L'Heure Bleue, like other fellow Basenoters already noticed. I admit I am not a fan of Mona di Orio style, as I found most of her other scents a bit messy and not that promising; but here, taking this almost as an "exercise of style", her skills do work great. The drydown gently turns towards a soft, mellow, powdery leather accord, delicate and dry, always with tonka/powdery echoes. Everlasting persistence. Well done!

7,5-8/10

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

This was a totally unexpected hit for me. The opening is big and floral with the heliotrope, but it settles very quickly into a beautiful delicate musk. This isn't a sexy, feral musk, its sweet but not too sweet, light and ethereal, almost like clean scented skin. There was definitely a touch of fresh linen and laundry in there, a clean soapy note. This is very understated with minimal sillage on me, but it's long lasting. I think this is a summery day time fragrance.

dj_renovatio
dj_renovatio

I really wanted to love this as I have loved or at least really liked everything else I have tried from MdO.

The scent itself, believe it or not, is almost identical to Burberry Brit for Men. The projection and longevity are far superior, however.

I really wished this was more like the actual notes listed and not identical to J&J baby oil.

The three notes they have in common are Musk, Rose, and Tonka Beans. I wonder if the combination of these three turns into baby oil to my nose.

There is also one other fragrance I own that is nearly identical, but I cannot recall the name of that one for now.

I'm not very hard to please when it comes to fragrances either, but this is just a huge disappointment.

christianne1
christianne1

UNISEX?? This is a total feminine powder bomb to me. While I think people should wear whatever fragrance they like despite any label, this is outrageously feminine in my opinion. Once it settles, after a good hour, it is an absolutely beautiful fragrance. The opening is pretty potent and a little all over the place for me but after 15 minutes it starts coming together and you could consider getting around other human beings but I would highly recommend waiting at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour. Others may not share the joy until this settles a bit. But once it develops into the final product, it is actually quite soft and lovely while still having a little heft to it.

This has an spicey amber oriental vibe to me initially and I was not expecting that. I don't think there is even any amber in there but the combination of notes creates it for my nose. It is definitely a fall/winter fragrance in my opinion. While it is soft and powdery there is a weight to it and it just feels like a bit much for the warmer months. I am wearing it today in August and it keeps indirectly reminding me that fall is around the corner.

I can see how it could be something that some would fall madly in love with.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

I just tried this one, I normally really dislike powdery scents and dont like musc. But this one is gorgeous. I am so glad that I have the MDO Sample set.

dbrii24
dbrii24

Full on powder in the beginning, but after a while MDO Musc dries down to one of the most loveliest and softest scents I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It contains very little musk but this is a wonderful fragrance to say the least. Again I warn you, powder phobics beware.

kisnatek
kisnatek

Lovely! Clean, sweet, straightforward musk. Actually.. no, not clean but rich and ambery and powerful. The only musk l like.

Eos
Eos

This smells like a very simple pairing of ambroxan, heliotropin and several white musks. Its radiant, warm and comfortable but not unique enough to justify the price tag IMO.

Akahina
Akahina

Kind of sweet for a musk. Moderate sillage and longevity. Not terribly distinct in my mind and a bit too "clean" for my taste. Leans feminine.

Yiyiblue
Yiyiblue

This is gorgeous. On application, I get a lovely baby powder scent that lingers until the vanilla and musc remain. This would be very suitable for work wear as it has good lasting power but is close to my skin. I only got a small sample, so this may become a full bottle as soon as I can afford it.

9-na
9-na

A present. This scent was very unable to scare on me, and it had a smell of low-fat milk with sugar or a small sweet or two that dropped into my glass and drowned there. People around me liked it. Did I? Well, it was kind of nice and even not bad sometimes, when I felt like it, it did not sound like a screaming scent. But I like milk that has all the fat it should as long as I can remember.

Baldric
Baldric

To quote Lady Macbeth "Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under't.”

This went straight to the to purchase pile and i can't wait to have a full bottle at my disposal. A perfect, balanced fragrance. Good for day, night, casual, dressy, it makes me rethink my " no signature" policy. I usually don't pick up much from musk notes but this one I can smell in all it's glory. Powdery and light with something darker and dirtier lying just underneath that just hovers on the edge of perception. Cravable, lovable, warm, sensual, makes you want to lean in closer with its tonka dry down.

lombredansleau
lombredansleau

This perfume smells heaven, a balanced and harmonious flowers accord. At first it's quite strong and powerful, then it becomes mellow and sweet. There is a lovely flower that I cannot detect which stays with me all day.

guido2663
guido2663

I like this perfume and I like niche perfumes too. I' don't think niche perfumes are always the best but I'm not a fan of Turin and his wife also. I think they write what they are payed for. Their reviews are not always fair and I consider his wife just a p.r. in the world of perfumes, only a talkative woman using a pack of adjectives and no juice in what she writes. In any case this is a nice frag, quite easy but not Mona's best, that's what I think.

daniela3
daniela3

Despite few terrific comments - by..... some "laureate" experts - I believe that M. di O. Musc is - in all its complexity - one of the best existing or at least that I've chanced to meet. Sincerely I'm so puzzled because I've never been a fan of this ingredient... but...."coup de foudre!" That was the very first time I fell in love with it or Mona must have put a spell on me. I'd suggest to those who ignore what I'm talking about to have a go with it: try it on your wrist and.......wait, the miracle won't be late!!! ;-)

Galya
Galya

good ,dood musc with some note of almonde which I like so much,there is also sweet powder.

stephan
stephan

Very natural, very beautiful and melancholic fragrance.

sirop de Liège
sirop de Liège

I am a huge musc fan, when I wear it I often get compliments from men! I can wear this soft musc to go to work, I also have the Lorenzo Villoresi musc but that is so strong and lasting I only wear it to go out.
Unfortunately the only shop in my city that sold it recently closed. I am not use to bying things on the internet, so I will cherrish the little bit that is left in the bottle until I find another place to buy it.

Edit: december 2014
I decided after all to order a new one online! Can't imaging myself without it.

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

@ "Bandit" below

Sorry but I believe you are giving Mr. Turin far, far too much credit (& unfounded power) for the fate of Mona's first line.
Yes I agree that whatever was going on there between them certainly felt more personal than professional. And his reviews of her fragrances were mostly totally unfair (although accurate in parts). And yes I'm sure it will probably make a certain dent in sales. But I hardly think it would be enough of a dent to cause a "discontinuation". Mona was already having problems with her line way before "The Guide" even came out. (Of course Turin didn't exactly help things !)
Besides I think what you say about "perfumistas" taking his reviews too seriously is also somewhat incorrect. Any true "perfumista" and 'fume lover will still sample any fragrance regardless of Mr. Turin's reviews. And will certainly not be swayed by his reviews of a scent. And it will actually be true perfumistas who will most admire Ms. Di Orio's work. So she wouldn't be loosing much in sales there. ... I think it will be mostly perfume novices or even people who know absolutely zero about perfume who will probably take Mr.Turin's reviews "as gospel", or more seriously. And those will be much fewer than you might think. And also not really the sort who would enjoy Mona's heavy handed style in fragrance. (And the sort who will only purchase a scent rarely).
And besides, I actually think Turins "negative advertising" will probably generate more interest in Mona's line, than had he gushed about her perfumes instead. Negative reviews in fact generate more interest than not, especially with perfumistas who want to explore if the negative reviews are indeed warranted or not. So Turin & Sanchez might have very well done Mona a "back-handed" favour.

I believe her new "Les Nombres d'Or" line is actually much more "public-friendly". And will, I'm pretty sure, do much better all-round than her previous one. (Though much simpler compositions, they are all nevertheless still brilliant and easier to like. (Not exactly something the previous ones were). ...
And besides her first line has not actually been discontinued as such, and will be re-introduced sometime in the near future.
~ "Les Nombres d'Or" is the best and wisest thing Mona could've done for her line ! Their increased sales will ensure she will be able to reintroduce the original line-up of fragrances for us all to enjoy once again.

Ulysses
Ulysses

To tell the truth,I'm not a big fan of Musc,but I like that:yes it's simple but suave and no synthetic at all.

I'm in mourning for the cancellation of the old Mona di Orio Line,such a loss!
They were difficult perfumes,especially Nuit Noir,because of the known indolic note,but in these scents I could recognize all the talent of the creative
Mona.

Bandit
Bandit

It was really awful, when I tested Cuir and Musc from Mona di Orio. For me, Mona di Orio was a supernova, full of talent, fun and risky, with her own vision of perfumery. She produced the best perfumes in the whole niche department, imho.

Than came Luca Turin and labeled her Nuit Noire falsy "civet fart". He hated her for something we probably never find out. It felt personally, if you asked me. He dismissed her whole line without reason.

Let me say only this: Luca Turin was and is often wrong, but this time he was wrong big time.

Mona di Orio's got talent. Her perfumes reflected that.

But unfortunatly Turin's false reviews destroyed her reputation and after that her business. Especially the niche lovers tend to believe in Turin blindly.

In the end Orio was forced to discontinue her whole line. What a lost!

I was curious, how her new take on the niche market would be and I am heartbroken: Cuir and Musc are mediocre one-note-scents, that heaps of niche houses produce. Boring.

Her Musc is sweet and cloying. It's not white, it's not powdery, it's not egyptian, it's not dirty, but it's too much and for sure, if you tend to being not able to smell musk perfumes at all, this one is smellable for you. The first impression I got from it was: Face cream! Oh my, as if I needed this in my life.

There are much much better musks out there. The easiest way to find a better one is to pick one of Ava Luxe's. She has a whole range and even the ones I don't like too much, are better than Orios Musc.

I could cry.

prot72
prot72

In my opinion this is the best muscs ever made in perfumery. There is nothing artificial or metallic in this fragrance. You can feel real animalic musc note, however it is nothing unpleasant or stinky. The fragrance creates unbelievably cozy aura, like warm blanket made of Kashmir wool. Forget Musc by Serge Lutens. This one is sophisticated made with passion not to shock people around as other niche musc fragrances. Tonka is perfectly balanced and together with heliotrope creates buttery soft aura similar to almonds. I can imagine how perfect it will be to wear this fragrance during cold fall or winter days.

maartje
maartje

being eau de toilette it lasts and lasts very long.Not for everyday use, I have to be in the mood for Musc.

jubal
jubal

First musc I've actually been able to smell! And oh what an aroma it is! Stunningly beautiful, lasts all day and then some with a great sillage that has dh saying 'my, you smell great', every time I pass him.

This really is all I want for Christmas :)

yvashche
yvashche

A soapy musk. Not shocking and not one-note musky. Wearable but not distinct enough.

Kterhark
Kterhark

So, musc in a leading role is a genre I shy away from, because most reviewers label these fragrances as 'white synthetic' or 'plasticy'.

To those reviewers I say 'Try this.'

Remember when you were young and went on dates? That feeling you had when you got a whiff of someone you liked (and hoped that they liked you too), and forever after how that scent made you feel? You'll reexperience that with Mona's Musc.

There are two supporting notes here that I am no fan of: Angelica, which is usually too heavy (Guerlain's Angelique Noir); and Tonka, which tends to make things a sweet stinkerfest (Guerlain's Tonka Imperial)

You'll pick up on the tonka here if you take a good whiff, and it smells fainly of almond. But in general, my hat's off to Mona, because whatever it is that she did this composition really works for me. There is nothing heavy or sweet about it; everything is perfection.

And a little exciting. Oh to be young again.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Mona di Orio Musc fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Mona di Orio Musc, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Musc by Mona di Orio. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Musc by Mona di Orio represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.