Designers » M » Oriental Floral « Groups

Nuit Noire Mona di Orio for women and men

Nuit Noire Mona di Orio for women and men
dislike

Nuit Noire Mona di Orio for women and men Pictures Nuit Noire Mona di Orio for women and men Pictures

Nuit Noire is a female floral fragrance created in 2006. The nose behind it is the owner and the founder of the house Mona di Orio. Ancient scents of Tunis were granted to this fragrance; its hidden gardens, streets, hammams…While the night falls on this old city and the moon rises high up in the sky, the seduction begins with orange blossom, cardamom and ginger, followed by the heart of cinnamon, tuberose, sandalwood, cedar and clove. Base notes keep us warm with accords of amber, musk, Tonka and leather. It is available as 50 and 100 ml EDP.

Ginger Orange Blossom Cardamom Orange

Tuberose Sandalwood Cinnamon Cloves Cedar Olibanum

Leather Tonka Bean Musk Amber

Nuit Noire Fragrance Reviews

shushkin
shushkin

Holy c~#p! this is potent stuff. Way too animalic for me. Tonnes of suede and musc before the tuberose can be detected along with cardamom, ginger and cloves. Its a real animalic spice bomb on me. It would be a brave man or woman who wears this. Its not bad after an hour or so its still too animalic for my taste. The usual extraordinary longevity and moderate sillage. Its migraine inducing for me as well.

Q80
Q80

Musc tuberose leathery night... This should be the smell of "Tom Of Finland". It is an animalic, a clean sweaty body on black leather & this is definitely not for the ladies ALTHOUGH imagine it ladies to be your man's body scent, i guess by now you will enjoy it, Huh ;)

This is a heavy stuff and not for anyone, but this is quite charming as i can detect almost all the notes BUT the cloves! it is quite sexy to be honest because of the animalic note of musc and it is with a quite enormous longevity & silage, just give it more time and more sprays from time to time.

Edit (1st May 2016) it has similarity to Musc by Mona Di Orio at some point, and has a similar base to Oud Osmanthus by Mona Di Orio as well! i feel those 3 fragrances are connected together at some point.

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

What am I smelling here? This is a complete nightmare on my skin. Mothballs, mildew and damp leaves. It could have the most beautiful end but the beginning and middle of this frag make it unbearable, for me.

aschiffm
aschiffm

Skanky! naughty womanly, daring. Then it loosens up into a warm loud yellowish floral cloves infused cloud. I kept getting wafts of yellowish warmth and spice throughout the day. Floral slightly smoky creamy cinnamon. I read a review somewhere that compared it to Shalimar and now I can't get that out of my head. It's exactly like Shalimar but with spice and a wild opening, sexy. It also reminds me of a potent "head shop" style perfume oil by independent perfumers Alkemia, the scent it called Hex, it's gorgeous too.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Don't let the opening put you off entirely!

I don't know what Mona do Orio used to get up to on her nuits out, but on opening notes this perfume suggests some sort of weird cinema experience - descending into a foetid basement (which carries traces of ancient dog dirt) to discover an arty cinema space where they sell (somewhat out of date) popcorn and everyone wears vintage fur coats that exude the reek of moth balls that preserved them.

Well, that's the first half hour anyway. I can think of a time when I'd have relished such an experience, but a lifetime in the arts and living in Edinburgh where we have to endure the Festival Fringe each year with its emerging and experimental shows has cured me of such impulses! Maybe that just shows my age though, there's only so much grungy experimentalism you can consume.

After half an hour though, this fades to a pleasant dark treacely salty warm amber with just a touch of buttery sweet tuberose (hence the popcorn feel). Feels natural - maybe too natural if you like your perfume abstract and elegant.

Definitely a perfume for those who seek something quite warm and grounded. In total contrast I'm testing Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie on the other wrist, which feels totally incongruous with Nuit Noir's sticky darkness, as though someone opened the basement window and the scent of an exquisite breeze has drifted in from the rooftop flat of an austerely elegant retired ballerina.

Of the two, Paestum Rose feels more expensive, but next to Nuit Noir it's perhaps too austerely elegant for me. Nuit Noir is actually quite easy to wear in dry down, and it's only with nose close to wrist that I can still smell the indolic moth ball notes

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - milky suede tuberose & orange blossom jam.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the colder months, or in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I did get noticed, it garners compliments.

Longevity - I get 8hrs consistently.

houstcs
houstcs

The opening is almost unbearable. I once went to a perfumerie to make my own fragrance in Indiana and what I recall from this is beaver oil. I know it is not listed, but that is all I pick up for the first 1 hour so far. I am hoping this fades. I am very sensitive to animalic perfumes and this one might be too much for me. In the silage I catch wafts of dark brooding oriental style smells, but if I get too close to my chest I really smell, hear, taste, see, and feel beaver oil. An insane experience that I will likely never enjoy. I love Mona's but this is strange on me.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

The first 30 minutes of this scent were both potent and unpleasant. There was a clear background of classical oriental - reminiscent of Nobile 1942, Ubar and Bal a Versailles. However, this was overshadowed by a bitter, brash note that made me want to scrub this off. This did fade after a while, but what was left was simply an unremarkable classic oriental.

Lana148
Lana148

The lovers of vintage perfumery will appreciate this the most, because it's made in a classical way. Overall: oriental fragrance more woody-spicy then floral, wrapped in a heavy, balsamic-animalic notes that I am not a fan of.

Yes, this is definitely a polarizing fragrance but, given how some perfumers and brands have pushed the boundaries of old-fashioned skanky stuff since Nuit Noire was originally released, this is much less *challenging* than it used to be perceived.

The opening is a white floral (mainly orange blossoms to me) with some sparkling citrusy notes. Very nostalgic in feel and aimed to tribute french feminine chypre classics. It suddenly turns into a kind of sharp and too dangerously soapy middle phase where the animalics show their presence with a slightly fecal musky presence. The juxtaposition between soap and the animalic elements still feels somewhat classic but there's something wrong about it. It's like smelling a beloved fragrance which has turned. It doesn't settle with the skin comfortably. It feels somewhat out of place.

The base is a warm and very old-fashioned ambery-leather with sweetish facets. All in all not the monster they made us believe it was but, in year 2014, nowhere close the charming power of somewhat similarly themed fragrances such as, say, Bogue's MAAI or even Chypre Palatin.

sirenacheng
sirenacheng

Nuit Noire starts with potent leather smell with a crisp accord and moderate tuberose and orange blossom. soon with the leather fading and the musk smashing in, here comes the part i don't like----it's becoming too animalistic for my taste, however, the dry down on me is beautiful.it's heaven of sweet amber!

sillage is great and it lasts at least 12 hours. well this is not the type of scent i would wear but i have to say i respect this perfume. it gives me an image of a powerful woman in authority who is sophisticated and elegant and rules some unknown dark world.

last but not least, this house uses really good ingredients so Nuit Noire smells damn expensive.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Bold, straightforward, classic opening of tuberose on a vanilla-amber spicy and powdery base. Nostalgic and feminine, a tribute to classic chypres, vaguely gloomy and carnal, but at the same time quite natural and dry. As for some other scents by Orio, however, this all "stands" there for just a while, before collapsing and going wrong – here, luckily, not "that" wrong... just a bit. I won't agree with Luca Turin, as he was clearly too and unnecessarily cruel in reviewing this: it does not smell that bad, just a bit cloying for a while, then sweetish, eventually developing a persistent, unpleasant stale note on the drydown. And overall, terribly dull. Not a disaster, just barely decent and totally unworth the price tag.

I suppose it's sacriledge to say that Luca Turin has never impressed me and his book of opinions is completely overated. You cannot judge perfume comprehensivly and have it be true for everyone in the world. He is so often wrong.

That being said, Nuit Noire is a favorite of a good friend of mine, but on me it's what can only be called barnyard musk. I get none of the flowery, soapy, perfumed notes, but all of the old hay, animal musk, warm muck scent. It's not offensive, but my skin seems to bring out the civet like nobody's business, and that's mostly all I get. It's compelling nonetheless, and will be an amazing Holy Grail scent for a lot of people. Luca Turin can stick it in his hat. For the rest of us, let's nod to a well-crafted fragrance and move on.

vikereuss
vikereuss

Nuit Noir is like a vintage jewelry decorated with precious stones, ancient treasure. It is like from the past epoch. I adore this masterpiece.
Bravo Mona!

Bandit
Bandit

First of all, I have to confess that for me there is no "dirty" smell. It all just smells, especially in perfumes. That might be a by-product of me working in the health sector and got to smell the the most vile things you could ever imagine. Perfumes smell nice. Believe me. Even the smelly ones.

I'm not a particular niche fan, by the way. Nuit Noire is on me very dark, the opening tuberose quickly fades (thanks...) and lefts me a spicy, soapy leather musk. It smells clean and dirty at the same time. I'm not anosmic to musk, but maybe to indolics? I get, if a perfumer amputate the indoles from their origin - the white flowers (boring....), but if they're there, they're there. I never feel offended by them.

Nuit Noire is the best "floral woody musk" I can think of (a category, which, I think, is mostly obsolete). If you want musk, why not use a real dose of musk? Look no further. Here it is. This is feminine with balls. Sillage A+. I also can see, why not everyone would agree on that. But on the other hand, think MKK, for heaven's sake! Everybody loves it (but it lacks the soap, maybe it's not the skank, but the soap, everybody hates in Nuit Noire?).

In a (strange?) way Nuit Noire reminds me of Covet: If Covet is green and strange viby, Nuit Noire is blue and the same strange viby and much more concentrated. Does this make sense?

I suspect the damning of Nuit Noire began, when Luca Turin labeled it as "civet fart". This is the most disrespectful thing I have ever heard. The moment I've read that, he lost his reputation for me. How can anybody be that nasty on a perfumer, someone who would call himself a "perfume connoisseur", who could never be that connoisseur without perfumers? This shows how uncultivated he is, imho. You can disagree on taste, but you should respect the taste of others by all means. You should always behave and write like you'd do.

But, for me the price tag always was a don't-buy argument, I agree on that. It was over-priced (or over-concentrated: In EdT or even EdC it might be mass saleable?).

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

This may be a classic example of "what is so right for one person can be incredibly wrong for another"...I adore this perfume. On me, it starts out a sweet and spicy floral, with the orange blossom and tuberose especially noticeable, then the spices begin to warm up. Cardamom and cinnamon come to the front for a bit before settling into the full dry-down with its sandalwood and musk, with perhaps a hint of amber. The florals never fade away; they just get folded into a fabulous, rich, honeyed composition that is seriously sexy. I don't get the dirty or heavily animalic note at all, not even transiently, despite what seems like a good amount of musk going on.
I have the type of chemistry that profoundly changes many perfumes, always in the direction of making them sweeter, which is the likely explanation for why this perfume smells lovely to me, completely unlike the experiences reported by other reviewers. This is a rare case where I feel quite happy about my eccentric chemistry; normally I am disappointed when the fragrance that smells so wonderful on others or in the tester ends up smelling like candy-floss on me in 5 minutes. But this time, it enabled me to find one of my all-time favorite fragrances and perhaps, to make it my own in a way. Nuit Noire is all I had hoped that other opulent Orientals would be for me, such as Lutens' Arabie, which I cannot wear as it promptly turns to plum pudding on me. Nuit Noire is, apparently, my jewel hidden in a dung-heap...noxious to some, but amazing if it happens to match your body chemistry.

myrrhmaid
myrrhmaid

This sounded like my dream fragrance. I loved it for about twenty minutes,then was sick . I had to scrub it off . I don't understand because I can't see any ingredient that I have never come into contact with before. The flowery notes are gorgeous but the "dirty" element really is vile .

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

When sampling Nuit Noire, I didn't really know what to expect, but took the precaution of waiting until I was home alone in case I needed to scrub/and or air out the house. It turned out not to be that bad after all. NN starts out with a big blast of civet along with some sort of hyper-indolic floral that could be orange blossom, gardenia, or both. After a while the ginger comes in and unifies it all into a greenish, glassine-envelope like smell that I don't find at all "oriental", but that I've smelled before in mainstream commercial perfumes. This note persisted until I went to bed, accompanied by occasional whiffs of indole. When I woke up this morning I had a headache, but of course I don't know whether it was from the perfume or some other cause. No trace of the scent was present when I woke up, so the longevity is moderate. My curiosity has been satisfied, and the sample will be stashed away for possible further testing in a distant future when I've tried everything else on my list.

Migotka
Migotka

Well, Nuit Noire is for me yet (unfortunately) another proof, that a 'niche' does not always translate as 'extrordinary'.
There has been a lot of talking about how fabulous niche fragrances are, and how much better than what you can find in regular perfume shops, which however is not so true...
Nuit Noire does not even start good. I hoped for an air of Orient, mystery, something distinctive and seductive. My nose could detect some very heavy ginger and unidentified flowery notes. My beloved cinnamon and tuberose did not even make a brief appearance.
The worst was yet to come though. Slowly, slowly Nuit Noire transformed into one note I have known since the day my parents brought me home from hospital after me being born. A note of soap. An old type of soap one used to buy in early 90's, not one of those nice smelling soapies you can get in stores now. A heavy smell of regular, grey soap.
For this price I can only say it is a huge misunderstanding.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Mona di Orio Nuit Noire fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Mona di Orio Nuit Noire, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Nuit Noire by Mona di Orio. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Nuit Noire by Mona di Orio represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.