Designers » M » Oriental Woody « Groups

Vanille Mona di Orio for women and men

Vanille Mona di Orio for women and men
dislike

Vanille Mona di Orio for women and men Pictures Vanille Mona di Orio for women and men Pictures

When composing Vanille, Mona di Orio imagined a romantic back story involving an old ship from long ago, on its way to Madagascar or the Comoros Islands, carrying precious cargo: rum barrels, oranges, vanilla beans, ylang-ylang, cloves and sandalwood.

Gourmand, smoky, and boozy with a subtle aromatic orange note lingering in the background, Vanille is one Bateau Ivre of perfectly blended notes that will derange your senses with its sensuality.

Vanille opens with a shot of rum flavored with orange rind and spiced with cloves. amber and tonka further warm up this brew as ylang-ylang’s sharp sweetness joins with rich vanilla. guaiac wood wood adds incense smoke as woody notes from vetiver and sandalwood help to create an elegant finish.

But the real star of the show, not surprisingly, is vanilla. Instead of using ethyl vanillin, one of vanilla’s main components that can come across as powdery and sugary, Mona used pure vanilla in this elixir. For a moment – amid this elegant orchestral arrangement of notes in the key of vanilla – the pulpy, sensual creaminess of a split vanilla bean is right there in front of your nose. Delicious!

Vanille was launched in 2011.

Petitgrain Clove Rum Bitter Orange

Vetiver Sandalwood Guaiac Wood Ylang-Ylang

Amber Tonka Bean Tolu Balsam Leather Musk Madagascar Vanilla

Vanille Charnelle

Vanille Fragrance Reviews

Snicole82
Snicole82

I do not think the vanilla in this likes my skin. I think this has a "pickled" note as described in previous reviews. I think it is the rum. I'm not necessarily a fan of fragrances based on alcoholic drinks. I think it would be nice if this is your thing. I don't find it overtly sweet. The longevity sucks, about 2 hours on me and sillage sucks just as much. I do not think it is worth the price and I have smelled better vanillas. Just my honest opinion.

purecaramel
purecaramel

Textured as Silk.
Breath of Angels hits Skin.
Cream across the Pallette.
Music,Carthasis of Orgasm.
Heaven.

Top Shelf This.

K1
K1

While vanilla is usually defined by warm cupcake-smelling sweetness, Mona di Orio releases her scrumptious pickle-like clove/rum, named Vanille, to underline that an artistic composition is not about title, it's about harmony of notes.

Vanille is a melancholic and daring ungourmand Surge Lutens'ish spicy booze that by far is not for first date! It's angular and stale spicy vanilla that is as masculine as feminine. And for this attributes it evokes certain sense of carnality.

The fragrance begins with vinegary over-spiced rum and tangerine and develops towards crisp, twisty ambery heart that promises of soft smoldering woody base plus vanilla pods.
★★★★

milazinha
milazinha

If anyone has an unloved bottle of this, or a decant to swap, please PM me! I haven't smelled it yet, but I am surely curious.

mrsg34
mrsg34

This is NOT a gourmand, sweet vanilla, it is a beautiful, spiced, smoky, leathery vanilla and I'm very much enjoying it! Well blended, full of character and a keeper for me.

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

In my research for a good, all-round vanilla, this came up as something to try.
On my skin, MdO Vanilla seems to epitomize all the notes I struggle with.... and then magnifies them. No vanilla just pungent,sharp sourness. I go straight to the balsam, sandalwood and vetiver, with nothing else in between to soften the blow.

I got a sample of this beauty from a lovely Friend of mine here on Fragrantica and I'm most grateful - it is a real gem! An elaborate, multi-faceted fragrance, in a way a copy of my long lost love ORGANZA INDESENCE - but a well-remastered copy, braver, spicier, sexier and more sophisticated.
On the top of my WANT list, definitely!!!

cloyd42
cloyd42

I am not feeling the love for this one. The note I'm overwhelmed with is stale tobacco, which is a shame because it seems that this is a particularly high-quality vanilla. The main effect for me is the morning after sitting in a tiki bar, back in the day where people smoked in them, drinking many zombies while wearing too much Shalimar. Pass.

Sillage: 2-3 feet
Longevity: medium to long
Fabulosity: dirty ashtray
Value to Price: poor

hsheep
hsheep

I think this one leans more masculine than feminine, but I could be a little biased as I trend towards a floral and oriental vanilla. The main notes I get in this one are the rum and spices, tons of clove, and there's a tobacco note in there as well. I imagine all those ingredients dropped into a glass of rum and swirled together.

It sort of reminds me of a much softer and lighter Tobacco Vanille, along those lines anyway. I get more vanilla in TV than in this one. It's a nice concoction, but I'm looking for something with a cozier vanilla.

Kolchan
Kolchan

This was my first scent I tried by Mona di Orio and frankly speaking I was amazed. This is a different, very sensual and exotic vanilla.

From the beginning, it's clear that the perfume is very well made. It opens with notes of clove and leather, almost rubbery accord. Then vanilla comes up, first it's bitter and smoky but after 1 hour my skin sweetens it and I get dark, spicy vanilla liquor.

I know, it's not supposed to be a gourmand scent, however my skin tends to emphasize sweetness in perfumes.

It creates such a nice, cozy cloud around you for quite long time, on me 6-8 hours. This is my favorite vanilla by now.

In love again

I thank Luca Turin for introducing me to Mona di Orio Vanille. From reading on so many blogs about how unfairly cruel he was to her work, I decided to go to surrender to chance and buy a bunch of her samples to decide for myself. While I didn't love all of them, some of them were quite good, and I fell head over heels for Vanille.

If you like your vanilla dark and boozy and smokey you need this. I have tried a lot of vanilla perfumes out there and this one takes the cake- to another level. Imagine Betty Crocker, drunk, smoking a clove cigarette and baking your birthday cake. Brilliant. Thank you Luca, I just bought a bottle. :-)

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - musk, rum cloves, grungy vanilla.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, during the day.

Projection - I didn't get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 8hrs consistently.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

MdO Vanille brings to me a wonderful childhood memory. Opening my mom's spice cabinet and pulling out her jar of vanilla pods, twisting off the lid, and ummmm! Yes, I'm surrounded by a dark and somewhat powdery vanilla. But the wood cabinet itself, along with the ghosts of spices used (and maybe a bit dropped onto the shelves) with love.

Vanille is smokey and chic. Exotic and yet comforting. This is a most interesting blend. It is potent and long-lasting.

This vintage chypre-loving gal has found another Vanilla to adore. A big and reverant nod to Guerlain Shalimar (my other vanilla-heavy love).

farang
farang

I really like this! I run away when I sense sweet, gourmand vanilla, but this is something entirely different. This vanilla is bone dry, but it is still a very beautiful vanilla. It is surrounded by spices, probably cloves and cinnamon and a little bit of fruit. But vanilla itself is the star.

It is certainly among my top five masculine/unisex orientals. Good silage and longevity as well.

bluebruja
bluebruja

what a pity!!! I love this perfum, but the new bottles brought higer price. this is not fair.

Allen-at-home
Allen-at-home

I think I would have named this "Vanille Brûlant" because Vanille opens like burning vanilla, because of the orange, clove, and rum notes. And although I'm not a big fan of sweet vanilla, the burning vanilla is interesting. Nothing cheap or candy-ish about it, more like a very warm, heavy cream. I wore it yesterday, a humid, rainy day, and Vanille seems better today, now that it's cold outside. Having said all this, Vanille isn’t for me. I actually find it too sexual. (There, I’ve said it!) However, this would make a very nice honeymoon gift for some couple.
NOTE: If you like this type of vanilla (unsweetened, like vanilla bean), Dark Kiss from Bath & Body Works might work as a much cheaper alternative that features blackberry and amber. Of course, I realize B&BW can't compare to the house of Mona di Orio, but that dry vanilla is so similar that I had to mention it.

AlmalkiJeme
AlmalkiJeme

جربت هذا العطر الفاتن وسأقتنيه.. اعتقد انه مناسب للاجواء الخاصة مع من تحب.. عطر للجنسين بكل اقتدار

gelo999
gelo999

This fragrance has been a surprise for me.

I was expecting a classic gourmand vanilla sugar and I find this wonder:

Vanilla, rum and cloves in a spectacular and fascinating rubbery guaiac wood drying.
I see clearly what Mona wanted to represent with this fragrance: the ship laden with riches as timber, fruits, rum, spices and vanilla.
Mona notable for the minimal retro air too deeply rustic and simple and unpretentious.

Excellent quality essences, of which I miss and you're glad when you apply a few drops of this wonderful, huge wake duration and radiating better than usual average.

Details such as the excellent quality of the essences with a very good composition, is where large olfactory differences between mainstream brands and some designers niche as Mona are marked.

Amazing, ahead of our time, one day, Mona di Orio will be considered as one of the best perfumers of this century as works like this, Vetiver and Musk.

I loved it!!

Rating: 8.5

vergil_s
vergil_s

Well with my dear friend kain perfect review I cant add anything new with my brief review :D But:
Vanilla is red line in my taste, and I usually cant bear those perfumes, so I didn't tend to test this frag.
But when I sniff this masterpiece I just say wow!!
This is romantic and exotic perfume with sweet, boozy, woody, smoky notes in vanilla base.
We don't have over sweet vanilla scent (Normally what vanilla smell) in here , we have soft and lovely vanilla scent that is not strong and overpower but you can smell it in all over of perfume lifetime on your skin.
This perfume start with semi fresh citrus scent with sweet and boozy theme that cover with some flowery note.
After that woody notes start to play their role to balance this perfume in middle note.
And in the heart smoky scent of leather come to complete this wonderful play.
I really love this perfume and enjoy from each sniff of this beauty.
Strong power of projection and longevity.

با توضیحات کامل دوست عزیزم کین ریویو ی مختصر من حرف خاصی برا گفتن نداره :) اما از هیچی بهتره.
وانیل خط قرمز من بوده همیشه تو عطر ها و معمولا باعث سر دردم میشه، به همین خاطر تمایلی به تست این عطر نداشتم.
اما توی ریویو هایی که خونده بودم تعریف های زیادی از این عطر شنیده بودم.
بله این عطر یه عطر خارقلعاده است که وانیل توی این عطر کوچکترین شباهتی به بوی وانیل عطر های دیگه نداره بلکه یه بوی آروم و دلنشین داره که توی کل عمر عطر اون رو همراهی میکنه.
عطر با یه بوی نسبتا شاداب مرکباتی شروع میشه که بوی شیرین و الکلی مانند رام اون رو همراهی میکنه.
بعد از اون بوی چوب ها به کار اضافه میشن که باعث دلنشین تر شدن عطر میشه.
یه تم گلی شیرین هم توی عطر احساس میشه که فکر کنم بوی کلاو باشه ( فارسیش نمیدونم چیمیشه.
بعد هم یه بوی دودی و خاکی ناشی از چرم و وتیور به صحنه میاد تا این شاهکار رو تموم کنه.
و توی کل این زمان وانیل نقش دلنشینش رو به خوبی اجرا میکنه.
عطر پخش بو و ماندگاری خوبی داره.

shushkin
shushkin

WOW! I love this as much as my Amouage FATE and that is saying something. I'm going to have to have joint number one favourites now.
On me the citrus, vanilla and spices are definitely dominant with the wood, vetiver and alcohol notes more in the background. It is sweet but not quite enough to be gourmand. Its a truly grown up and sophisticated spicey vanilla. Most definitely unisex.
Above average sillage and easily lasts all day. I will have to save up for this one, but it is so worth it. This decant is going to have to last a long time!

dest
dest

ITA
Questo profumo è stata una piacevole sorpresa: quel giorno iniziai con l'idea di acquistare tutto un altro tipo di profumo. Deluso dalle mie scelte iniziali ho lasciato che la commessa mi consigliasse qualcosa..ed è grazie a lei se ho deciso di sentire Vanille..fui subito sorpreso e dopo pochi minuti decisi di prenderlo. Vanille non è la tipica vaniglia dolce che si può trovare ad esempio in Intense Cafè, ma è speziata e "pungente", soprattutto all'inizio. Più lo indosso e più riesco ad apprezzarlo..la durata è ottima e anche il sillage è eccellente. A mio avviso, perfettamente adatto sia per gli uomini e le donne. Grande profumo. Superbo.

ENG
This perfume was a pleasant surprise: that day i started with the idea of buying all another type of scent. Disappointed by my initial choices I let the saleswoman advise me something..and it's thanks to her if I decided to sniff Vanille..i was immediately surprised and after a few minutes I decided to grab it. Vanille is not your typical sweet vanilla that you can find for example in Intense Cafè, but it's spicy and "pungent" especially at the beginning. The more i wear it and the more i love it..longevity is great and also sillage is excellent. In my view, perfectly suitable for both men and women. Big perfume. Superb.

Tapioca
Tapioca

Totally agree with the ashtray part. However, the vanilla hasn't come out yet. Smells like terribly bitter Cointreau mixed with something woody. Definitely not for me.

Fortunista
Fortunista

The opening smells exactly like a dirty ashtray on me.... Exactly. While repulsive, it is at the same time addictive. The ashtray vibe dies pretty quickly and fades to a decent smoky vanilla, but for all the hype this gets I'm not impressed. For a similar vibe, I like Annayake Miyako or Parfumerie Generale's Felanilla waaaay better. I'll try it again to see if my opinion changes, but I'm pretty sure I won't be shelling out the cash for a full bottle of this.

Decent expression of Serge Lutens, Ambre Sultan; mmm....yummy!

amirdoust
amirdoust

This is in my opinion the best from the house of MdO. This fragrance starts off with a blast of spicy and woody notes paired with "burning" bitter oranges in which I detect a lot of petitgrain. At this point there isn't even the slightest hint of vanilla. As time paces the most authentic vanilla-pod note can be smelled. This isn't your typical vanilla ice-cream sweet vanilla note but rather a dusty boozy one. This fragrance is best for cool summer nights and the beginning of autumn. This is a masterfully balanced , complex , high quality scent.
Truly unique, get your nose on this ASAP :)

Eos
Eos

Vanille is a strange one and I admit I'm struggling to see what this has to do with vanilla. Most of what I get is an intense, burning clove note on a boozy background with slight animalic accents.

Smelling this reminded me of a childhood memory of being in a bowling alley. My friend's mother smoked clove cigarettes and the hot, smokey, spicy smell of them melded with the smell bowling alley itself: ashtrays, spilled booze, polished wood, creeping decay and the occasional whiff of human sweat.

Not my favorite, BUT Vanille is strangely noir and intriguing in a Bukowski-esque way. Its like the smell of forgotten minor indulgences.

Readysniffer1
Readysniffer1

I love to put this on and smell it evolve. Thanks to niknik 7577 for a generous sample. I love this. It is complex and sophisticated, vanilla, woods, bitter candied orange peel, with an almost nutty balsamic dry down. If I had a FB of this, everything else would be on hold for a long time. I would wear it, spray it on my husband, spritz the air in the shower, put it in my hair. It probably could not be improved upon. I don't know what this stuff costs but I'm guessing I'm happier not knowing for now.

edit: it's not out of line price-wise, mainly because it really performs, it stays and changes and continues to entertain. And I love this bottle. It's almost steampunk...

(the old champagne style bottle)

Guinea54
Guinea54

excellent review Kain, I have nothing to add to that.

gfbl
gfbl

Please contact me if you have a bottle for sale thanks or email at [email protected]

lilalina
lilalina

Not your typical vanilla perfume, it's animalic, dark, strong, very masculine fragrance. No sweetness like you would expect from a vanilla perfume. I dislike this alot. I find it shamefully misnamed.

Kain
Kain

Sit back, stay relax and get some popcorn! this is going to be one of those long reviews! :D

This fragrance is by far one of the most complex fragrances that I've tested!
It may look simple for the first time but smell it closely and test it several times, and you will see what I mean! a fragrance with many different notes and really great blending.
There are many others notes standing side by side vanilla that they make this fragrance quite interesting.

At the beginning I can smell lots of notes.
Vanilla, citruses, lots of cloves, some floral notes, some woodsy notes, some incense ...
What the hell is going on here?!
But the interesting thing is, all these notes blended together masterfully without making the scent messy and harsh! this is what I'm calling it art in pefumery!

There is sweet vanilla in this fragrance indeed but not one of those extremely sweet or sugary ones. vanilla here is kind of mature with resinous ambery feel, creamy sweetness and warm sensual feeling.
There is a sparkling of citruses in the background that it gives the scent slightly fresh feeling but just for a few seconds and then it's gone!
There is lots of cloves at the opening. a dry, flowery and strange kind of aroma that somehow may remind you of strong clove note in "Serge Lutens Serge Noir"
There is a mellow incense in the background that it gives the scent slightly smoky and slightly powdery feel. there is also some ylang-ylang in the background that it amps up the powdery feeling of the scent a little bit more ...... and this is just the opening!

In the mid the clove note settles down a little bit and at the same time vetiver and woods joining in.
While the scent still is warm, creamy, incensy, powdery and dry flowery because of cloves, vetiver note gives this lovely scent a rooty and earthy feeling that it gets a little stronger as time goes by which makes scent more mature and more masculine.

There are some woods in this part as well that they make the scent a little more mature and at the same time slightly clean (maybe soapy!)
While the opening was slightly smoky because of incense, now you will feel more smoky aura which I believe is because of leather note that keeps picking through the scent. here is mid!

In the base I'm getting almost the same smell as mid, but now I can feel a spicy and kind of peppery aroma beside all these notes plus a faint and hard to detect dirty animalic kind of scent.
Projection is very strong but not in your face while longevity can easily pass 10 hours without any problem. a definite winner in my book!

خوب دوستان. قشنگ رو صندلی کامپیوترتون لم بدین و خودتونو راحت روی صندلی ولو کنین و یه کاسه بزرگ هم از آجیل های شب عید بزارین دم دستتون چون قراره این بررسی یکی از اون بررسی های خیلی طولانی باشه

این عطر یکی از پیچیده ترین و کملکس ترین عطرهایی هست که من تاحالا تست کردم. ممکنه در اولین تست خیلی پیچیده به نظر نیاد اما کافیه کمی با دقت بیشتری اونو بو کنین و تعداد دفعات زیادتری تو شرایط مختلف تستش کنین تا متوجه بشین چی میگم. یه عطر بسیار پیچیده با لایه های مختلف که بصورت بسیار هنرمندانه ای با هم ترکیب شدن. این عطر بنام وانیل و بر پاسه رایحه وانیل ساخته شده اما رایحه های زیاد دیگه ای هم کنارش بصورت شونه به شونه قرار دارن که این عطر رو یه کار خیلی عالی و جذاب میکنن

تو رایحه ابتدایی من چیزای زیادی رو میتونم استشمام کنم. وانیل، کمی مرکبات، مقدار زیادی رایحه گل میخک، کمی رایحه چوبها، مقدار مشخصی رایحه بخور، کمی رایحه گلها .... پسر چه خبره اینجا؟ این همه رایحه چی میگن واسه خودشون؟
اما هنر عطرساز اینجا مشخص میشه که با وجود این همه لایه و این همه رایحه بوی عطر اصلا شلوغ پلوغ و درهم برهم و اصعب خورد کن نیست. بلکه برعکس بسیار زیبا و جذاب و خوشبوئه. این چیزیه که شخصا بهش میگم هنر عطرسازی

رایحه وانیل بطور حتم تو عطر وجود داره اما وانیل اینجا خیلی شیرین و زنانه و شکری مانند نیست. حس خیلی با جذبه و تقریبا کهربایی مانند داره به همراه یه شیرینی ملایم خامه ای و دلچسب و یه حس گرم و دوست داشتنی. کمی هم رایحه مرکبات تو عطر حس میشه منتها بصورت بسیار بسیار ضعیف و کاملا در حاشیه که فقط برای چند ثانیه اونم اولش حس میشه و بعدش در یه چشم به هم زدن از بین میره
مقدار کاملا مشخص و زیادی از رایحه میخک هم تو این عطر حس میشه که بویی گلی اما شبیه به گلهای خشک شده و خاک گرفته داره و حس نسبتا عجیبی به عطر میده. اگر عطر سرج لوتنز سرج نوار رو که اونم دز زیادی میخک داره بو کرده باشین دقیقا متوجه میشن چی میگم و منظورم از اون حس گلهای خشک شده و غبار گرفته چیه
کمی رایحه بخور هم تو عطر حس میشه که یه ته بوی ضعیف دودی و کمی پودری به عطر میده. رایحه گل یلانگ یلانگ هم بصورت خیلی ملایم قابل استشمامه که بوی گلی خیلی ملایم به عطر میده و حس پودری رو کمی بیشتر میکنه
این تازه رایحه ابتدایی عطر بود

تو رایحه میانی گل میخک کمی ملایم میشه و البته همچنان به وضوح قابل استشمامه. حالا تو این مرحله رایحه وتیور یا همون خس خس و کمی رایحه چوبها به عطر اضافه میشن
در حالی که بوی عطر همونجوری خامه ای و نیمه شیرین، کمی دودی، کمی پودری و دارای حس گلی و خاک گرفته هست، حالا وتیور میاد و بهش حس ریشه ای و خاکی میده و هر چی زمان میگذره قدیتر هم میشه که در مجموع باعث میشه حس مردانه عطر افزایش پیدا کنه و کمی خشن تر بشه. در حالی که بخور تو رایحه ابتدایی کمی عطر رو دودی و تلخ کرده بود تو این مرحله شما حس میکنین بوی عطر کمی تلخ تر و دودی تر شده که به خاطر رایحه چرم هست که داره اینجا کمی خودشو نشون میده و میگه منم هستم، فراموشم نکنین. رایحه چوبها هم که به بقیه رایحه ها اضافه شدن بوی حس مردانه تری به عطر میدن و یه ته بوی تمیز و خاصی، شاید بشه گفت یه ته بوی خیلی ضعیف صابونی هم به عطر میدن البته نه زیاد
این رایحه میانی بود

و اما تو رایحه پایه بوی عطر شباهت زیادی به رایحه میانی داره منتها عطر یه حس مشخص و تند و تیز ادویه ای شبیه به بوی فلفل پیدا میکنه. در کنارش یه ته بوی کثیف و حیوانی هم من حس میکنم که خیلی جالب و دوست داشتنی هست
پخش بوی این عطر بسیار عالیه و بسیار بالاست منتها نه جوری که بیادد بزنه تو صورت آدم و حال آدمو بد کنه و ماندگاریش هم راحت مرز 10 ساعت روی پوست رو پشت سر میزاره و هیچ مشکلی از این نظرها نداره
یکی عطر بسیار عالی و یه شاهکار تو سبک خودش از نظر من

sum888er
sum888er

it's getting very boring after some months of using and it's annoying to other people. they say you re smelling like burned incense

katerinae
katerinae

A friend of mined warned me not to buy this perfume for summer, because - as she claimed - I would smell to intrusive. I totally disagree. I love to wear it during a hot weather. It is in fact very strong, but not at all intrusive. It is noticable and I heard many compliments both from woman and man.

On my skin it is mainly bitter vanilla, rum and bitter orange. I love how it smells on me. However a friend of mine tested it and it smelled sweeter and more woody on her. It is worth testing it before buying.

I like strong and noticable scents and I'm very satisfied with its longeivity and sillage.

At the moment Mona di Orio is my favorite niche brand. I love all her scents: vanille, tubereuse, musc and amer are my favorites.

Buysblind
Buysblind

This was love at first sniff which soon turned to dislike the more and more I wore it. The dry-down is fantastic. The vanilla is rich, and strikes the perfect balance between bitter and dry and sweet and warm. I love the way my shirt would smell a couple days after wearing this, a vague spiciness over the most delicious, quality vanilla. However, getting to the dry-down became a chore. The combination of rum and clove doesn't work very well for me. Add petitgrain and orange blossom into that and I was destined to sell this bottle off in an attempt to recoup part of the significant amount I spent on it. But I'm not mad, as this is a good fragrance. I just find the clove, rum, and orange blossom too heavy and distracting a combination, and after a while, it wears me out. I would probably prefer a simpler or less taxing start. Overall, Di Orio's Vanille is a bit sumptuous for my taste and quite frankly, I'm not crazy about how it smells for the initial hour or so. Projection is very good and longevity is superb. This is more or less unisex and most suitable for casual or more formal situations in the colder months. Recommendation: Do as I say, not as I do, and sample first.

JaneBluff
JaneBluff

I got a sample of this because I was curious but also confident that I wouldn't like it enough to get it. I was wrong. :( It's just the right amount of booze, woods, spices and rich ambery vanilla that now I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need it. It has a similar feel to House of Matriarch Coco Blanc but without the white chocolate so it's not as smooth or creamy (though in no way does that mean it's bad, just different). I'm finding myself lured towards this one. It's beautiful.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

By far one of the nicest and most creative vanilla scents on the market. Vanille opens with an intriguing clash of notes, with vanilla standing just halfway a citrus top note, a boozy note and a base accord with both “creamy” sweet woods (sandalwood), spices and darker notes which to me smell like a sort of “roasted” leather/birch note, smoked and dry, with a hint of vetiver. Really subtle, yet providing and enjoyable, thin “black” base layer. That’s it initially, a martial and quite “angular” blend with a rather sharp and simple composition style, yet fascinating, ghastly in a way but also romantic: finally the Neoclassic inspiration behind many Mona di Orio scents finds a meaning here, and it’s well developed (instead of going completely wrong, like in several other scents by her). The mood and the atmosphere here are really charming and peculiar, a sort of decadent, odd, skeletal ambiance with dark, dry powdery notes, gloomy and smoky in a way, but also deceptively “white” and soapy. This dry note of vanilla smells like the smell of old books and papers – which is no news, as I recall having read somewhere a chemical similarity between “aged paper” and vanilla. If they had mummies during Renaissance, I guess this may have been their smell. Or, the smell of an antique closet stuffed with your great-grandma’s toiletries and books. In a way, and only for its first stages, it reminded me a bit of La troisième heure by Cartier (for its vanillic-dark structure, although here is all more dry, dusty, woody and less leathery), plus with a touch of clean, gray-ish musky-soapy-aldehydic notes. As minutes pass, say within the first hour, Vanille “warms” up becoming less dry and less smoked and letting resins and sandalwood emerge better, becoming overall softer, sweeter and more Oriental. Despite its name I wouldn’t really consider this a gourmand, but a solid, unisex, classy and really compelling creative take on vanilla, of which here Mona di Orio enhanced the dusty, dry and darker nuances. It’s still fun for me to realise how she was able to accomplish only either great scents or total disasters, but still, this one is really good.

7,5-8/10

zaetown
zaetown

I hate it when I run across a fragrance such as this, not because I dont like the way it smells but because not only does it smells of such quality depth but because its performance is also steller in projection and silage. Im trying not to like it so much because I know that it will leave a dent in my wallet, but I mean we're frag heads right? And once we are hooked on something we're hooked and must have it!

8.0/10

Nick1992
Nick1992

MdO’s VANILLE is amazing; interesting and full of twists. By no means a traditional vanilla fragrance, VANILLE opens heavily with bitter orange, spicy clove, and amber. There is booziness about the opening which soon turns to rich, sweet and concentrated vanilla. With each passing moment VANILLE seems to dry with the sweetness turning smokey; earthy and woody with ylang-ylang, vetiver and sandalwood also present on the dry down. The dry down is particularly lush on my skin; exceptionally well balanced and smooth.

VANILLE is incredibly potent, monumentally rich and heavy. To me the floral and smoky notes here manage to be both gourmand and oriental.

Long lasting with heavy sillage.

8.25/10

Lana148
Lana148

I had high hopes for Vanille Mona di Orio. I was looking for some interesting, complex, woody composition featuring vanilla, as I don't care that much for straight forward vanilla fragrances.

I have to tell you, this came as a disappointment for me. First of all - the fragrance behaved completely different on my clothing then on my skin and I wasn't crazy about either version. On my clothes - orange peels, cloves, green, boozy, damp, woody, smoky aroma with a faint vanilla on a background. Overall, the mixed impression of wet woods, leather and ashtray - not really pleasant composition. On my skin - gentle, powdery vanilla-sandalwood blend, which didn't feel like something special.

Not for me.

Roge'
Roge'

When I sample pricey fragrances, i hope for the worst. Otherwise, a future purchase will be inevitable thus leaving my pockets with rabbit ears. My favorite fear has been realized... Mona di Orio Vanille will be added to my want list. Here's something interesting: This fragrance is like 30% vanilla. Calling this a vanilla fragrance is like magic word marketing. I asked 4 co-workers at different times of the day, "What accords do you detect?" 3 said floral and 1 said fruity. I was actually shocked that none of the oriental notes caught their attention as it did for me. Personally, I could barely smell the floral mentions. My nose detected all the warm components rounded by the boozy stuff. This 10+hr oriental woody offering accomplishes what many perfumers strive for; creating something safe and effective. This is the fragrance you spend $200 dollars on, not that other junk flooding the market.

What comes to mind when I smell this: An airline passenger seemingly aloof wearing rose colored glasses.

TillyWave
TillyWave

Vanilla may be the name but it’s not the biggest game in this perfume! (Lame rhyme I know but it fits.) I was pleasantly surprised, then glum about how much I like this perfume. Surprised because it’s so much more than a woody vanilla perfume, and then glum because it costs over $200 a bottle which I simply cannot pay for. I will be nursing my decant that’s for sure, which may work out since Vanille has excellent longevity.
Anyway, this perfume is has a smouldering, smoky, dark character. It could have been called Bois Fumee Vanille Noir. Obviously my French is limited to perfume adjectives, ha ha. It opens up with a LOT of clove, a dry, boozy, woody kind, not the suffocating potpourri kind. The woods really come out in the heart, with a lot of smoky vetiver and guaiac wood and a hint of sandalwood. The vanilla shows up here, and into the base, where the note is strongest--still it is a dry vanilla pod vanilla, not a sweetened type. The perfume becomes a little sweeter here, a little amber vanilla, with a drop of leather, but it never loses that sultry woods character.
I live for dark, dirty, earthy perfumes like this. The sillage is modest but the tenacity is excellent. Love.

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

i'm a sucker for vanilla, and this delivers. but it isn't a candy sweet die of sugar intoxication vanilla frosting candle. instead, the vanilla plays nicely with cloves, amber, and a tinge of campfire smoke. at first the smoke is intimidating, but after about 30 minutes, the cloves, amber, and vanilla come to the surface. the smoky wood is still there, but gentle.

chickenpotpie

I have to eat my last review of this because I think I finally have gotten over (at least some) the fear of vanilla.

I do not really dig super sweet vanilla, I don't really want to smell like cake or cookies. Even with some ambers they can be very sweet to me, to the point of where they're unwearable.

I had to revisit this because though I had issue with it, I just had to give it another go.

This time, the drydown didn't get to the point of nauseating. I do have to go light on the trigger, and boy I mean very light, but, I think once I found a way to wear it best, it became a very enjoyable journey. Sillage however, is very close because I can only go for 1-2 sprays, but, longevity is amazing.

RhiannonB
RhiannonB

This is initially very woody with an emphasis on clove and bitter orange. It then settles into a rum dipped sandalwood and guaiac wood perfume with a hint of tonka bean. I think it’s the vetiver which is giving it an almost fresh and sharp grassy wood scent. I finally get something resembling Vanilla about an hour in with the amber – it’s subtle and blended with the woods. The noticeable hints of tolu balsam and leather blend with the perfume perfectly. It reminds me a little bit of Memoirs of a Trespasser by Imaginary Authors.

I think this is indeed artfully blended but it’s slightly too masculine and woody for me. It’s dark and deep. Bitter and smoky. There is a rich story to this; the cargo hold of a ship on the high seas. Almost like pirates and cigars sitting on barrels drinking rum. I’m currently reading a book called S by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst – this perfume reminds me of it and what I imagine the Ship of Theseus to smell like. I was expecting to love this but it doesn’t really suit me. I like the story it tells, sniffing it like a decoration (a ship in a glass bottle if you will), but it’s not something I’d actively wear.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Mona di Orio Les Nombres d’Or Vanille
I love to cook, and the Universe knows this. I have had the good fortune of being in the kitchen with true artists while they work because you learn the most this way. When I learned from a friend how to make a true Indian curry from scratch, it was more of a lesson on using spices correctly. I watched as he took each individual spice and worked with each one to release the most flavor. He gently heated the peppercorns in a cast iron grill before crushing them with a mortar and pestle. He massaged the cilantro between his fingers before chopping it to release its juice. Each spice got its own special treatment and each one came to life in his hands. I had never seen anyone do this before – I’m American and I’m used to seeing spices sitting neatly in organized rows on the shelf. It was the first time I saw someone treat spices the way an artist mixes paint.

This perfume is a work of art. Each note is carefully balanced and deliberate. Each note adds a little intrigue to the entire composition. I can smell each note individually yet they are all seamlessly blended. They have all been individually manipulated into releasing the most scent into this composition. The tobacco, cloves, vetiver, citrus, and wood in the opening are not too much to overwhelm me, but just enough to pique my interest. The heart is a light shot of rum infused vanilla supported by tonka and sandalwood over leather. The dry down is a dry unsweetened vanilla bean warmed with musk and amber. This perfume has managed to capture the best parts of several of my favorite vanilla scents. It has the sweetened tobacco note from Hilde Soliani Doolciiisssimo, the sweet boozy rum from Guerlain Gourmand Coquin, the veil of smokiness from Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and the sexy sweetened leather from Shalimar’s Forreau du Soir, yet it smells completely unique.

spidola
spidola

What happened to discrete Lady Vanilla? …She fell in love with Jack Sparrow and after a night spent on the pirates ship with a lot of rum and dozens of cigars, she decided to remain there ...
That’s about the name, because the vanilla is there, but always in background, never dominant - the main players are cloves, woods and rum. I do not like a lot the idea of “one note name” specially given to such complex perfume as Les Nombres D’Or Vanille, it can be misleading, but this is my personal opinion.

I was sure to find also incense in the composition, as this fume is really smoky, but maybe it’s Tolu balsam with woods creating the illusion. On my skin it’s rather linear, but the longevity is amazing – 10-12 hours.

It’s a marvelous perfume for both - men and women...For me is specially the drydown worth to die for :-).

(Who loves its spiciness should try also Oriental Lumpur by Les Nereides – the same comforting woody smell without boozy vanilla.)

Jwaks
Jwaks

I'm trying to understand the love for this fragrance by wearing it and it's just not doing it for me. The opening is incredibly spicy, austere and bitter, that fades after about 30 minutes to reveal a somewhat generic semi-dry boozy vanilla base with a touch of bitter orange and powdery florals. Seems very, very mature. IMHO I prefer SDV.

Ariesboy
Ariesboy

Words cannot even describe my love for this fragrance. My appreciation and passion for it is beyond expression.

I am so deeply grateful for its existence!!

I am moved to great heights when I wear this. It makes me feel on top of the world. I feel motivated, inspired and HIGH on life.

It evokes images of the spice trade....the old wooden sailing ships that would go passed Cape Town, South Africa and then make their way to Dutch colonised Batavia (now Jakarta, Indonesia). Barrels of Ylang ylang, clove, fresh vanilla, tonka bean and vetiver all awaiting purchase in the ancient port town.

Words cannot do any justice to this fragrance....it is sheer magnificence in a bottle!!!! I am a proud owner of it and have displayed as my centre piece on my art deco cuboard (that is filled with my collection (hundreds of bottles of fragrances). Out of all those hundreds of bottles i chose this! Because it is beautifully presented in a nice red box with black velvet interior.

It is my go to comfort scent. A spice bomb of luxury, antiquity and worldy sophistication. WOW. WOW. WOW. There is no surprise that this was once rated the best vanilla fragrance on Earth.

DancerForLife
DancerForLife

Too woody/spicy for me. Was looking for a softer, warmer vanilla. Powerful, loud scent. Caused major headache for husband. No go.

Amarah
Amarah

I love my Vanilla scents so this was a must try for me. Honestly, I expected a yummy spicy Vanilla but was bombarded with Cloves, Woods and Orange instead! The Vanilla is there, in the background but it's not all about the Vanilla. It's so much more, the Rum blends nicely with the composition thus giving you the feeling of coziness and warmth. I can imagine myself in the midst of Winter, rocking on an old wooden chair reading an old book in front of the fireplace, it just gives you that feeling of comfort.

The dry down is a rich, resinous Amber & Vanilla. This fragrance wafts every time you move, it just keeps on reminding you that it's still there! A little dirty, a little grown up but very cuddly at the same time, definitely a winner in my book ;)

muffe
muffe

Cloying and strong would use with caution if I were to ever use again. I don't like it.

Bella77
Bella77

I fell in love today with Vanille from Mona di Orio!
A masterpiece. Very beautiful story about vanilla. This fragrance is not linear "bakery" vanilla scent. Mona di Orio Vanilla is very complex construction.
It opens with the orange and the clove notes. In the middle of pyramide i found a lot of woody notes, like tolu balm, smoky vetiver and sandalwood. Vanilla is in the heart of this gorgeous "juice" but it is accompanied by leather, amber and tonka beans notes.
Perfect for the cold weather like a soft cashmere sweater that keeps you warm all day long...

LeisaSch
LeisaSch

Wow, this really is a great perfume. Heavy on the cloves, pettigrain, rum, resins & vanilla. It's incredibly well balanced and though at first it's not a 'vanille' perfume, it dries down to a rich, sweet, strong and memorable vanilla scent

If you are looking for a soft vanilla soliflore, this most certainly isn't it. But if you're on the hunt for a heavy hitting, smoldering spice bomb with a smooth woody/vanilla base, you'll be very pleased.

leathermountain
leathermountain

The first several hours are a knockout. Smoky, animal vanilla. Harmonious blend, with just enough discord to keep me sniffing. Then, sadly, there is a long and strong drydown of high quality but one-note vanilla. Too sweet.

drakecito
drakecito

This is a Masterpiece!!! But this is not a Vanille fragance...
It's a dry rum-spicy with a touch of smokey vanille.
Lovely, very well blended with espensive materials and too complex.

Vanille lovers maybe don't like it because tha vanille it's only a secondary note and the fragance is not too sweet.

Last more than 8 hours and sillage is good.

Fragance: 9/10
Sillage: 7/10

michael.j
michael.j

Finally! A vanilla I can get behind. I can't stand cloying vanillas. This one is rich and complex, and far from caramel or cotton candy. It's a grown-up vanilla that's complicated, well read, and well heeled. It's as far from a cutesy vanilla as you can get. It makes me straighten my posture it has such incredible grace and poise.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This, quite frankly, is what I wanted of Shalimar but didn't get.
Les Nombres d'Or Vanille opens boozy and spicy, with a distinct clove that is not scratchy or annoying. The sillage wafts very vanillic, however up close, Vanille doesn't smell sweet. The dark delicious vanilla is undercut with bitter orange and rum and it grows more powdery in the dry-down, with wonderful tolu balsam clouding up and cushioning the whole composition. Vanille is very rich and seamless, the quality of the ingredients is evident. The projection and thickness of this scent though for me mean it's restricted to cool weather for sure. I had thought my vanilla craze was over before I tried this, but Vanille is a different interpretation of the note. Non-sweet, stuffed up with woods and spice and rum so much so that the vanilla is hardly there anymore, it just leaves puffs of smoke. This is a vanilla for oriental lovers, an unadulterated decadent gem.

careless86

ابحث عن هذا العطر , من لديه هذا العطر ويود ان يبيعه او يود ان يستبدله بعطر اخر انا في الخدمة :)
الرياض

Cereza
Cereza

Surprisingly it did not evolve at all on me. This creation had three phases on me and that was pretty much it.

1) CLOVE CLOVE CLOVE CLOVE CLOVE, did I say CLOVE? This is all I get for good 30 minutes, took me by surprise, it has so much clove in it that it is basically impossible for one to like this if one does not enjoy clove in their perfume.

2) TONKA BEAN AND SANDALWOOD mash up - very dry, woody, almost too cloying, there is still no traces of vanilla and I still feel clove from the first part

3) SANDALWOOD and VANILLA. A very shy and nicely woody vanilla drydown, but nothing too extraordinary.

I am dissapointed.

my2spritz
my2spritz

There was a mistake in my sample order, in my favor, I got two samples of this perfume. I wore it all summer long in rotation with other scents. I loved it, and I got compliments from young to older folks!

So I finally bought a full bottle, and now the weather has changed. This is not a cold weather perfume. During the hot months the notes melded together to create a beautifully unified scent.
Now that it's cold outside the fragrance is falling apart. Each note feels singular, and it doesn't particularly smell that great. The bitter earthy green petitgrain really jumps out, the spicy clove is overwhelming, it seems to lose the woody smokiness, and the vanilla just feels awkward. It's a mess.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait till next year to use my new champagne inspired bottle of juice. Good news is my SL Ambre Sultan is now wearable, the animalic note is in hibernation.
_____________________________

Update Feb-2-2014
About a week ago I put this perfume on for the first time since I wrote the review above and I smelled something that reminded me of cigarettes. Not stale ciggy smoke, an ashtray. I thought maybe I was having an off day, so I wore it 3 days in a row. It's confirmed, there is indeed an ashtray. It kind of pops in and out of the scene, it's annoying.

So I read through these reviews just now to see if anyone else noticed this too. And damnit wouldn't you know rickyrebarco made the same assessment! Someone who's opinions on perfume I value. We are generally diametric opposites though. I love perfumes for the reasons she dislikes them. But today I agree with her about this weird note.

Synryo
Synryo

I know many people will hate/disagree with me on this but here goes.
I was 100% expecting to fall in love with this. It was at the top of my 'to try' and even 'to buy' list because I was so sure. I love dark, mature vanillas and this one just sounded like a dream. When I finally got a sample and tried it on, I was shocked. It was so harsh and nostril-singing (the cloves maybe?) I couldn't smell any of the things I'd been so looking forward to. Nothing well-rounded about it. Could be the product of my untrained nose, but it is what it is. So disappointing. Though I'm sure my wallet is thanking me.

Edit: Okay, so I don't HATE it anymore. Getting past the fact that it definitely isn't what I was expecting has left me more open to appreciating it for what it is. Doesn't evolve on me much except to become softer; the spices fade waayy down and let the woods, tobacco, and rum come out to play. Not a whole lot of vanilla to be found. Pleasant enough, but still not a love and not something I'd be comfortable wearing.

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

واحد من افضل العطور التي لايمكن ان انساها لدي عينه من هذاالعطر، لاتظن ان رائحة الفانيلا هنا حادة او بارزة ولكنها خفيفة ناعمة كالحرير عطر يشعرك بالراحة عطر يشعرك انك اما معشوقة في غاية الجمال كم احب رائحة هذا العطر من اوله الى اخره رغم انه البعض قد لايحبذ رائحة القرنفل اللي هي المسمار ولكني اراها جميلة واحببت راحة البرتقال في الافتتاحية وبعدها تاتي رائحة الفانيلا الممزوجة بالروائح الخشبية ياله من جمال، ساقتنية قريبا ويستحق التجربة ويستحق الاقتناء اذا كنت ذو تاريخ طويل بالعطور وذو تجربة لعطور النيش وشخص يحب ان يتفحص مكونات العطر هذا العطر سيعجبك طبعا هذا رايي بالعطر وارجوك ان تجربة حتى لاتلومني
جمال الرائخة 9/10
الثبات 10/10
الفوحان 10/10

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

First of all, let me start by saying this is gorgeous and I agree with the others who say this is a very beautiful well rounded perfume. Gorgeous for men and perfect for women who prefer deeper richer scents with spices and tobacco (HELLO!!!). Out of the gate I get clove and the clove is so rich (not that I mind) that the scent would almost appear smokey. This fume is luscious, woodsy, boozy & seriously spicy....a real stunner!!! But through all of this I don't get vanilla on my skin. Maybe if I really press my nose to my arm do I detect a hint of sweetness (NOT gourmand sweet but a beautiful fat bean split open with the vanillin oozing out kind of sweet). I know most people have rated vanilla as the strongest ingredient but to my nose clove takes 1st place while vanilla plays a supporting role behind the wood and booze. Gorgeous gorgeous for those chilly days. This beauty is sure to keep you warm!!!

Youssef_Maggi
Youssef_Maggi

This is great. I can smell the quality of the ingredients. I also mostly like the opening as some mentioned already, but on me the perfume develops also nice, very luxurious perfume.

thecapn
thecapn

Wow, now here's a vanilla fragrance that I love. This isn't foody- I'm not a fan of food fragrances. But even more importantly, it works with my chemistry. I like vanilla as a note but the problem is that my skin tends to turn it into something cloyingly sweet and awful. Cupcakes, cotton candy, and sometimes even play-doh, on crack, is usually what vanilla centric perfumes turn into on me. Even if the scent isn't meant to be overly sweet, they tend to turn toxic smelling on me (overly sweet an plastic). Guerlain Oriental Brulant, Dior Addict, and Serge Lutens Datura Noir are all entirely unwearable on me. The only other vanilla I've found that works on me is Eau Duelle, but it's bland compared to this. The nice thing about my chemistry, however, is that perfumes that are really spicy, sharp, or heavy are often easier for me to pull off. This is pure comfort on me. It's a lightly spiced chai with nuances of citrus and a shot of rum. Though this isn't the best weather to enjoy it, I could see this being absolute bliss in the winter. It reminds me very much of Christmas.Definitely worth trying, even if you normally stay far away from anything vanilla or gourmand.

Update: This is the perfume that has made me realize that I actually really, really love vanilla. My previous experiences with vanilla fragrances completely turned me off of the note, but because of this one I decided to venture into the vanilla category a bit more and it is now one of my favorite notes. But most of those fragrances aren't JUST about the vanilla, this one is still the queen of that :)

Marli1973
Marli1973

Ohhh this is delicious. I can smell the quality of the ingredients. So comforting, warming and elegant. Summer time in England but it is still very wearable and I am looking forward to trying it over the winter time too. After purchasing a small sample I am now waiting my full bottle to arrive anytime soon . Worth every penny! Thank you Mona for such a beautiful fragrance.xx

bcoops
bcoops

On me this comes off very spicy(makes me think of heat)...the cloves are so overpowering IMO and this is certainly not the the type of vanilla I enjoy, I enjoy more gourmand bakery type vanilla. I dont think the scent is bad i just think the cloves and spices are taking center stage

dbrii24
dbrii24

Mona Vanille has been called the best vanilla in the world and as far as I'm concerned it's completely justified. This is grandiose vanilla. Perfect for those who like their vanilla but don't want strangers coming at them with a knife and fork. It should be noted that Mona Vanille is not a straight vanilla fragrance. Don't get me wrong, vanilla is the star here but its blended seamlessly and enhanced by cloves, rum, orange and woods. This is beyond gorgeous and my kind of vanilla. Deep, luscious and intoxicating!

curvealert
curvealert

In a way I hate sampling scents like this because it's like having your cold, wet nose pressed against the window of a big house, whose inhabitants are enjoying an expensive, slap up meal.

I was a bit unsure in the first 20 minutes of this perfume, but oh my word...the dry-down is a glorious blend of woody notes and a warm, pure, dry vanilla. I love the fact that it isn't a sweet, sticky bakery vanilla - it's got warmth and complexity to accompany its gourmand side. There is a lot of rum in this composition on my skin, but it doesn't put me off. It's definitely unisex; a man could easily wear it and that's what makes it wearable for me...blasted with ecstasy. Oh, woe is me!

I wish I could stretch to a full bottle, but for its quality I do think it's worth the asking price. I shall treat myself to a roll on when autumn returns...

With a name like VANILLE, this entry in the Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or series is bound to mislead, as it is about as far from a solinote fragrance as one can possibly imagine! Yes, there is a central core of vanilla to this composition, but there is every bit as much leather, and amber, and woods--among many other scents. VANILLE is not really a gourmand perfume at all, but a complex and extremely dense oriental best suited for cold winter nights.

The combination of the somewhat sweet (but not overly so) vanilla with the leather naturally reminds me of perfumes such as Van Cleef & Arpels MIDNIGHT IN PARIS and Lubin KORRIGAN. However, I feel that this elixir is quite a bit richer, and the quality of the ingredients surpasses that of at least the Van Cleef & Arpels variation on the same theme. Of course it should, since this is haute niche, not mainstream perfumery.

The veritable kaleidoscope of notes in this creation makes it difficult to say anything very meaningful that will not be falsified in the next five seconds, as the many different elements wax and wane and undulate in very unpredictable ways. To determine whether this sort of super-rich elixir will work and can be comfortably worn, one must apply this perfume directly to the skin and leave it there for the duration of its life, which is many hours. The sillage is also rather impressive. To me, the concentration of this eau de parfum seems closer to pure perfume or extrait.

Some may find this kind of composition stifling, but others will rejoice in the density of VANILLE. Because of the rum and the spices, I am occasionally reminded of L'Artisan Parfumeur VANILLE ABSOLUMENT (or Havana, as it was formerly called), but the animalic facets of Mona di Orio's VANILLE put this composition in its own league.

VANILLE is a fine perfume, which I recommend for testing by anyone who likes both vanilla and super-rich elixirs. This is not a cologne, to put it mildly, and I doubt that anyone would want to wear VANILLE in hot weather, but it's a great choice for wintertime.

Gia713
Gia713

It is best scent I've ever smelled, and I've tried ALOT ;)
Beautiful, spices&vanilla in perfect proportion. Base is delicious, soft, ambery and with a hint of vanilla.
The opening is spicy and strong, but after few minutes it changes to real anti-synthetic vanilla with rum and spices, it remindes me of Pirates and their treasures.
On me it smells defenitely feminine, sweet, but not candy-like at all. It is just spohisticated sweetness, sexy yet elegant, perfection itself.

AveParfum
AveParfum

If you are looking for a vanilla perfume, you might need to look elsewhere. This is more woody than vanilla. It could be worn easily by a man.

At first it starts out with lots of smoky wood, spiced rum, and a nice dose of bitter orange for contrast. Over time the orange mellows out, and the woods and leather intensify. At no point do I think, "Ah, now I smell vanilla." It's there somewhere I guess, but it's subtle.

I can't decide if this is a perfume I'd want to pay $200+ for. I love woods, and for that reason it's tempting because this is an excellent woody perfume. But I was looking for a unique vanilla, and this, my friends, is not it.

Wise-222
Wise-222

Very complicated perfume and attractive at the same time,you will never like it from
The first sniff you must try it for many times to fall in love with this perfume .

careless86

after used this perfume on my shirt and went out i can say this perfume is WOW .. i wanna purchase one full bottle 100ml ...

careless86

the opening is very delicious , but i smell too much cloves.
i like the scent but my only complaint is too much colves that make me hate this note

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

My first impression was "wow! This is so heavy and green and where is vanilla and when is this blast of horror going to be over?" And then it was somewhat over a few seconds later and vanilla started to come out. By then I was convinced this fragrance is not for me, as I would not want to re-live the initial blast again. And then I decided that I WANT to test this fragrance well, since a shower did not rinse my test spray well anyways, I re applied the fragrance. Second time around the opening was not as horrendous and when I started to enjoy the dry down of a sophisticated complex vanilla, my three year old said "mamma it smells bleah. -what smells bleah? - YOU!!!" .....the judge said the word,haha! This perfume if off my shelf.

But since I already sprayed myself I think it is a well done vanilla, an older lady in a Chanel suit would pull this off well :)

Previous comment by rickyre* is so true!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I can see how someone who likes vetiver and vanilla without sweetness would like this. But this was just not for me. I like my vanilla Guerlain style and this was not it. It's an interesting, well done scent with quality ingredients. I think the perfumer accomplished what she wanted to accomplish, but it wasn't to my taste.

I smelled huge rum notes in the topnotes along with a nice spice and was initially thinking I might like it. Then I got an overwhelming burnt tobacco smell and the perfume smelled exactly like a cigarette stubbed out in a glass where someone had been drinking rum and coke. I really cannot bear the smell of stubbed out cigarette butts. When I finally smelled the vanilla clearly in the drydown metamorphosis a few hours later it could not erase the initial hours of the cigarette butt smell. Cheers to everyone who loves this. More for you since I will definitely not be purchasing this.

pom
pom

Best Vanilla scent ever!
Love at first sight.....

9-na
9-na

A present. Either I hate vanilla in scents or don't feel it. Rare thing is when I love it. This time the scent amazed me with its beauty and untraditionalness of vanilla. My nose loved the greenness and that wonderful feeling, as if I took a pod of vanilla, the feeling on skin... I would've called the scent one of my loves, but no. It's the sort of vanilla I hate in the evenings. A pity. Mornings and days were very-very nice.

serchina
serchina

Such a rich and strong opening where I get some spices, cloves and bitter orange..and then comes a stronger citrus note (probably from petitgrain) in the opening with cloves and rum..and here it is: lovely strange vanilla note.
One of the most unsusual vanillas I have ever experienced..Really odd, rich and strong. It settles down to a boozy balmy bitter vanilla.
I wouldnt say its similar to Addict, but maybe it gives similar feeling as a woody citrus vanilla. However, I still love Addict more..

If you like vanilla based perfume, and fed up by the unlimited number of similar copied from each other vanilla scents that dominate perfume market today.
If you like oriental sophisticated scents.
If you wish to be addicted to a perfume.
Then probably you are at the right place and reading about the right perfume!
Les Nombres d`Or Vanille is the best (original) creative breathtaking vanilla perfume that you can purchase today. The opening is rich with some unknown spices that may put some people off, but within few second the amazing and delicious vanilla will kick in to take you in a majestic cart to wonderlands horizon.
It’s a shame if you are perfume junkie and didn’t taste this unique art yet!
Projection: 10/10

Overall: 10/10

Perfumato
Perfumato

ONE OF THE BEST FRAGRANCES IN THE HISTORY OF PERFUMERY

Key Word : incredible balanced fragrance

not a straight forward vanilla scent.... this is really complex and interesting scent, to smell and track its notes while they are playing to produce this epic legendery aura.

spices done extremely well
clever blind of woods
high quality and transparent vanilla note

this fragrance should be called l'nombre d' or. WITHOUT VANILLE

a decent fat olfactory meal. for hungry perfume heads out there.

after 8 years in the fragrance game, i finally find a fragrance that really satisfy my taste.with great longivity and projection.

i don't like to give final rates for fragrances but my fingers can't stop of typing this score

miticothor
miticothor

This is my personal opinion. Avete presente un portacenere pieno di cicche? Bene. Ora togliete le cicche e lasciate tutta la cenere....Annusate, per carità, con molta cautela e....Enjoy!!!

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

Oh my God. I'm in love, so this is a love letter.

But let's start with the basics. What's usually wrong with vanilla scents? If you ask me, they're inevitably overtly sweet, too gourmand, too innocent in their being nice. Think about Shirley Temple. Get it?
But this one is an adult vanilla, complex, dark, with a beautiful but dirty face. It's smoky and natural, and somehow more related to sex than other perfumes that claim to be "sexy".
I don't smell oranges, but other people I know do. The rum is just hinted to, enough to realize that this vanilla has a scabrous past, and I cannot smell the sandalwood, but to be honest to me these are all variations of the complex personality of the star of this fragrance. It's just like the woman you've been warned about, the one you should ignore and yet you cannot stop looking at. You were told about her dangerous habits, right? But no one told you how sweet and inviting her smile is.

So you're curious, and you're following her upstairs?
OK, but don't blame me... ;)

tristura
tristura

The best vanilla in the world!
This is a real vanilla with orange and rum!
very sensual

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

Personally I wouldn't classify this as a vanilla centered composition but more sort of a sweetish sandalwood fragrance. In this context Les Nombres d`Or Vanille is a well balanced woody composition that while being surely satisfying it's probably not among the most original fragrances around. Don't let this disencourage you, Vanille is an incredibly fine fragrance if you're up for a solid, not overly sweet, boisè.

It opens with a boozy accord of citruses and rum to quickly evolve into a sweeter tonka/vanilla middle phase where spices and amber provide some body. Sandalwood start remarking its presence to gradually take over during the moderately sweet, woody drydown supported by a slight musky quality and some vetiver. Nice progression, smooth evolution, great balance but, in the end, we've seen this iteration of the woody/vanilla too many times. I can't say I dont like it but, considering the price tag, this is something I won't get antious to purchase...

Downline: A nice vanilla for people who don't like straight forward vanillas.

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Rum, rum, rum. I hope you like rum, because...rum. A little vanilla (a very nice, complex, dry, smoky vanilla), rum, rum, rum, etc...
I wanted to love this and have it be a nice tobacco, amber, deep dark vanille that I could ocassionally wear but it's just rum. Enjoy your $200 bottle of rum you can't drink.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

On application I'm getting a blast of orange and cloves with woods quickly arriving behind it. After a while I start to notice tonka bean with vetiver underpinning it.

It stays unsweetened for a good few hours and it's like your smelling the tonka bean directly but its giving you a slight hint of what is to come.

In the basenotes the vanilla and a touch of ambre come to the forefront and it starts to get sweeter but not too much.

This fragrance is complex and smells good but it is a unusual take on vanilla. If you like your vanilla full on you may be underwhelmed and unsatisfied. Though if you find vanilla to cloying and sickly then this is what you may be looking for.

A good complex vanille fragrance that is restrained but still a delight too smell.

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

Oh I just love this! It's very much a scent of two distinct halves, but the reward of smelling this heavenly dry down is worth waiting for.

Out of Les Nombres d'Or series, Vanille is by far my favorite scent.

It's an interesting, spicy, smoky, unsweetened vanilla, that's a world away from the plethora of cupcake vanillas on the market nowadays.

I do enjoy "sweet vanilla cake with frosting" style fragrances, but this one wowed me with its special and unique kind of beauty.

The opening is a little much. Alongside a hint of citrus, the cloves are right there in the first burst, pummeling the senses, and I'm always glad when that note dissipates a little.

Being honest, I could live without the opening. But on my skin, it doesn't last too long, and it's not horrible, it's just not something that appeals to my tastes.

However, after those top notes fade away, what is left, in the dry down, really is pure and unadulterated olfactory heaven.

Creamy raw vanilla, a hint of tonka, some boozy rum and a little amber to round it out. The dry down is sweeter than opening, but also I find it a little smokier too, and that balance is just perfect for me.

Vanille isn't an innocent vanilla. No, this is vanilla dressed up in a tight black dress and boots and ready to party all night long. This is naughty vanilla!

And it does last all night long, and even into the morning too.

A fantastically warming fragrance for those cold winter evenings.

floof
floof

Not at all like tihota - my favorite :(
It is very woody, dirty with an awkward citrus and a hint of vanilla. Not for me, but almost cinnamon/spicy- I feel like its trying to do too many things. I wish it were sweeter, I could see why some would love it. Glad I didn't blind buy just for the reviews saying it was like tihota and sampled instead, I don't hate it, I like it okay... but not for this price.

kris919
kris919

After trying out this heavy perfume, you almost feel obligated to write a review that sounds like it was ripped straight out of the J. Peterman catalog. Like how the strong complexities of this perfume somehow transport you to some magical scenario abroad with silk and flowing things and century & a half old pirates drinking rum..blah blah blah. Well very fortunately, I'm NOT going to do that. This is strong, heavy, boozy, cloves, orange, wood, heady unsweet vanilla..every note is magnified 200% and all screaming at you at once. In the brave perfumee survey, put me down for "wimp". This is too much, too soon, too strong, too everything. If you manage to last until drydown without scrubbing ( about 2 hours on me), all you'll be left with is a typical powdery oriental vanilla scent...like a dior addict kinda of vanilla. a dark bourbon vanilla all by its lonesome that most likely will last all night. But by then, my migraine pulse points have all been triggered and I'm clutching a bottle of Excedrin in one hand, and raising my other hand up in the air, yelling... "TAXI!!!!!!!!!". Not for me. not ever..never ever. Vanilla, you are a strange bi-polar entity...and this is the version of you I loathe.

chickenpotpie

Received as a sample from Luckyscent.

I want to start off by saying I have a hard time with vanilla-centric scents. I tolerate it when its in a supporting role but as a main note...ugh...

But I think its important to have at least one vanilla-centric scent so the search continues.

Upon application I get a fresh and clean green burst. I think its a bit unexpected considering you're putting on a vanilla-centric scent. Then the vanilla takes center stage and you realize this vanilla is no supporting actor! this isn't a foody vanilla, but one with a lot more depth. I enjoy its smokiness which dosen't smell like a burnt out candle (thankfully!)

By hour 2 I get this amazing low level vanilla/amber mix with a dab of rum surrounded by the most amazing smoke. I get absolutely no orange in this at all.

by about 3 hours, it changes. It gets a bit sweeter and I'm afraid that it gets a bit too sweet. I think its tonka bean and amber doing their thing. Its quite a rich scent but that part of its sweetness is something that I don't really enjoy and it becomes nearly nauseating.

By hour 4 it changes yet again to something I love again...into the much fresher and cleaner vanilla I got the first 2 hours.

For the most part I enjoy it, but there are parts that I don't...that one hour where I don't is pretty harsh as its a bit of a stomach turner.

I will certainly try it again, but I don't know that I would ever buy this one. Certainly this is a fantastic scent for a vanilla lover wanting something different.

lulllull
lulllull

Oh Mona thank you for this lovely gem. I get easily bored of single note oriented fragrances, especially vanilla fragrances. I think the note has been tortured to insanity in a lot of fragrances. I wont name any names here...
When I read the list of notes I didn't even raise an eyebrow, I was not interested whatsoever. Then I received a sample of this with another fragrant purchase.
I have to say that the vanilla note in this reminds me a bit of the one in L artisans Vanilia, which I liked but thought was to linear. It also resembles the note in Tihota but with less cookies. What makes this fragrance so special is the use of clove and orange. I love clove and the use of it in this perfume is so soft and elegant that it moves like a quiet whisper through the perfumes development. The rum note is of a refined boozy quality, not the sugar rush you meet in other rum oriented perfumes. Lindy Fay was spot on naming this perfume "shipwreck".
I really like this one and hope I will find it in my christmas stocking.

lindy-fay
lindy-fay

This is a woody vanilla for grown ups! Not to sweet. Following description from Luckyscent; " Mona di Orio imagined a romantic back story involving an old ship from long ago, on its way to Madagascar or the Comoros Islands, carrying precious cargo: rum barrels, oranges, vanilla beans, ylang-ylang, cloves and sandalwood."
I would like to add that,in my imagination, this ship has been at stormy seas! Besides,the sailors are leaning towards piracy.
Actually, It`s the first perfume I`ve nicknamed.(The shipwreck!) It´s going to be my next FB purchase..mysterious!

Olfactarama
Olfactarama

I love the spice and vetiver in this. I really haven't smelled anything like it. I make myself dizzy with it! Note to self: use with caution when going out in public. Another brave perfume from Mona di Orio.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Think back to a time when you stepped out with a friend. Assume she arrived looking chic and well groomed and you gave her your seal of approval.

At the bar men flocked to buy you drinks because you cut such a sizzling profile. The gents laughed at your witty comments and compensated you with house specialties, but as the night progressed your friend did not. The last straw was thrown when she switched to a fake French accent and batted her eyes faster than a dog wags its tail. The night was over.

Vanilla opens with a bang, I thought it containted incence because of the crackle, and for the first hour I was in love; it's truly a chic, high end perfume.

But enter the cloyingly sweet phase. I'm not sure what is causing this, as the base notes are fairly benign. At first I thought it was tolu Balsam, but now I"m not sure; Tonka?

OK, so this is a scent you'd keep around until the third drink. Kind of disappointing, as the opening was so promising.

teddito
teddito

It is very nice indeed, not your typical vanilla perfume .Very strong notes of cloves and orange, persistant not only in the top notes.I don't catch the rum though.
My only complaint is that its tooooo rich /to the level it makes me sick/, as many of Mona's perfumes.