Designers » M » Woody Spicy « Groups

Aoud Collection - Red Aoud Montale for women and men
dislike

oud
Aoud Collection - Red Aoud Montale for women and men Pictures

Red Aoud is launched in 2008 as one of the collection of six new fragrances by Montale. Three of those fragrances belong to Aoud Collection, while the other three come within the regular fragrance line of the house.

This miraculous gourmand Oud, mixed with red pepper and spicy aromas of saffron and cumin followed by orris root, Haitian vetiver, and sandalwood touched by sweet spices, comes as 100ml (3.4 fl.oz.) EDP.

The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Montale.

Agarwood (Oud) Pepper

Rouge Avignon

Aoud Collection - Red Aoud Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Red Aoud opens with a stout, quite heavy accord of oud, flowers and red pepper, with a bold (and frankly a bit sickening, initially) overall smell that resembles to barbecue sauce on a roasted piece of pancake. Luckily it quickly becomes a bit more pleasant and tolerable, the floral side comprises mostly rose and other (a bit "generic") silky floral notes, then there's also spices and a light "red" note of red pepper. A more floral and "juicier" take on oud in short. I also detect a subtle honey-cocoa breeze on the base, together with the usual rubbery feel or synthetic oud. Nicely mediocre, and as other reviewers already remarked, hardly distinguishable from many other Montale's: not bad, but if you're into "rose and oud" you can find much better than this – for example Gold Rose Oudh by Tiziana Terenzi.

5,5-6/10

arrode
arrode

This is a very rosey/oud and very pleasant. Strong, spicy, and awesome. It's also a bit sweet, so much so I could have sworn there was some vanilla or amber or something hidden in here. I guess not, but this is quite enjoyable. Of the three (Red, White, and Black Aoud) this is my favorite. Long lasting and projects well.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

this is the first montale i've tried, and i really love it. it's got gourmand elements but isn't overly sweet. in the vial it smells like a deep, lush red rose, fully bloomed, but on the skin, the spices come out big time and the oud kind of hangs out in the background, acting like a supporting character. it starts out as a sweet, fruity almost candy-encrusted rose, but then it becomes a warm, spicy red rose and stays pretty true to form throughout the drydown. i think this is unisex but veers a little to the more traditionally feminine side.

pianist75
pianist75

yesterday I've bought this EDP directly from MONTALE,s website thinking its good as I remember...but its watered down !! its a shame!! I have 10 of their perfumes in my collection bought it 5 years ago. they were good. but this RED aoud 2014 march its weak poor longevity no strength at all. I swear to god it disappeared after 30 minutes completely has no sillage . but wait...I've read on BASENOTES about it just now and many people complaining about Montale's new products, claiming that they even replayed on face book saying that its true. watering down their products. if anyone its experiencing same thing please replay...
Aurelio

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a tiny decant. Instead of the usual rose+saffron+oud+vanilla combo, the vanilla is replaced with creamy sandalwood. Not bad. All notes are well-balanced without overpowering each other. I don't really pick up the other notes. It has above average projection and good longevity on my skin.

stephanieklein
stephanieklein

MONTALE RED AOUD is a hot scent for a cold night, where you're escorted past the velvet rope and invited to the VIP section. But, nah, the woman in RED AOUD is ready to go home and have sex.

From roses to a slinky vanilla, all with projection and longevity--talk to me lover!

allbookerka
allbookerka

What a nice perfume! Very unusual, and the opening is rather intense, but then floral sweetness with a little pepper notes follows and it gets very warm, sensual and even a little bit dark. Very interesting smell! Spicy sweetness :)

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

Starts out with very strong aoud, oily, medicinal, unpleasant. Quickly morphs into red velvet cake and rose water with a musky dry down. Absolutely monster sillage and staying power. I dabbed only a tiny bit from the sample bottle for fear of offending and while I don't think anyone was offended it was definitely noticed.

meugie
meugie

I love the scent, but the oud I really felt in the very opening. I agree with the reviews that define it as a gourmand. Definitely it isn’t a chipre/floral.
In fact, smelled of maraschino cherries when "analyzed" the work. Maybe the "red" in the name suggested me. But with a closer attention I realized that is vanille-y saffron.
I bought a fraction in purse spray and I don't know if I'd buy the whole bottle as it is not a perfume that I see myself wearing frequently. I think you have to be in a certain state of mind to use it. For sure I’ll buy another purse spray when this one is over, but my 5 ml will last long.
This is my first Montale :) 
It has a very long lasting and a heavy sillage.

hadassa
hadassa

I was looking for a woody oriental, but this is totally gourmand, and a very dense and intensive one!

I feel like I'm eating rose loukhoum, chocolate cookies, honey and halva on top. SO sweet! It's also quite spicy (cumin and saffron are very prominent to my nose). Oh, what a delight for those with sweet tooth!

RED AOUD has an almost foody quality, but in a good way. I seriously feel sweetness on my tongue. I love everything about it: its sugar overload, its velvety texture, its powderiness (I do feel the orris root very well here).

A must have for cold winters.

Roge'
Roge'

Another day, another oud. If this doesn't make you like rose then nothing will. This is one of those fragrances that will definitely get you a lot of compliments. Although the combination of oud has been done many times in many ways, this is not at all familiar. It's phenomenal how the rose blankets the oud as if it's not there. The pepper and spices prevents the frag from become too rosey(which i like). Just another good oud from Montale. Bring on the next one....

Kain
Kain

While they name it as Red Aoud, I must say the oud note is one of the weakest notes in this fragrance!
If you're looking for oud go somewhere else!
The opening is a sweet and strong saffron smell with some oud note. you can smell the oud but it's nothing against saffron note and also disappears after about 2 minutes and only thing you can smell is strong saffron note with tons of sweetness!
Do you know what the mid of this fragrance smells like?!
In my country there is a home made beverage which is very simple to made. add as many as sugar you can in the water (make it syrupy) and then add saffron powder in it! bingo, you have this fragrance!
After a while rose note kick in and now you have rose and saffron notes hand to hand with that strong sweetness all the way through!
Where is that pepper and vetiver and the other notes?! dude, go kid yourself!!
In the base you can smell strong vanilla plus rose and saffron that are weaker but still strong enough to smell!
Projection is like a beast, I only sprayed once and the scent filled the whole house. also longevity is insane!
Believe me or not I can still smell it after 48 hours!
Yeah, I'm a lazy guy that didn't take a shower for two days but it's quite annoying that I can smell this fragrance after 2 days on my skin!
I think if you spray it on your shirt you should burn it or throw it away to get rid of the smell!
All and All, completely feminine with projection and longevity strong as sun!
اسم این عطر عود قرمز هست ولی عود جزو ضعیف ترین رایحه هاست تو این عطر
تو این عطر دنبال عود نباشین
رایحه اولیه این عطر بوی بسیار قوی و شیرین زعفران هست که رایحه مشخصی از عود رو هم میشه داخل اش حس کرد اما ضعیفه و در مقابل قدرتی که بوی زعفران داره هیچی نیست
بعد از حدود 2-3 دقیقه بوی عود محو میشه و شما باقی میمونین و بوی شیرین زعفران
میخواین بدونین در این مرحله بوی عطر چطوریه؟
تو روزهای عاشورا یه شربتی هست که تو خونه مادرها یا مادربزرگ ها درست میکنن بوش دقیقا مثل اونه
کدوم شربت رو میگم
یه شربتی هست که برمیدارن مثلا به 1 پارچ آب 2 کیلو شکر اضافه میکنن و در حد زهر مار شیرینش میکنن. بعد توش زعفران و تخم شربت میریزن و بعنوان نذری میدن در خونه ها یا میدن این هیئت های عزاداری میخورن
بوش دقیقا و کاملا مثل طعم اون شربت هاست
شیرین مثل زهر مار با یه عالمه زعفران
بعد از یه مدت بوی گل رز اضافه میشه و حالا به همراه زعفران مشغول جولان دادن میشن تا ساعتهای بسیار زیاد
بوی عطر به همین ترکیب شیرین و وانیلی گل رز و زعفران محدود میشه و تا آخر همین بو رو دارین
پخش بو وحشتناک. من یه اسپری زدم بوش کل خونه رو برداشت
ماندگاری از پخش بوش هم وحشتناک تر
من از تنبلی الان 2 روزه حموم نرفتم و بعد از 2 روز هنوز بوشو دارم روی پوستم به راحتی حس میکنم
ماندگاریش دیوانه کنندس
به نظر من اگه اینو روی لباس بزنین یا باید لباسُ بندازین دور یا آتیشش بزنین تا از بوی این خلاص بشین چون اگه بزنین رو لباس فکر کنم بوش تا آخر عمرتون باهاتون باشه
بوش کاملا زنانه هست و سر سوزن چیز مردانه ای نمیشه توش پیدا کرد

pjd1234
pjd1234

Red aoud one of my recent purchase what can I say I find this scent very intriguing the notes are pretty much accurate and well balanced none of the notes are dominating each other I can feel the iris but not lipsticky you find like in dior homme. At first spray it opens up very rich a powdery type of aoud scent with the rose then the scent settles down I feel the pepper more in the middle rather than at the top. Buttom its sweet the vetyver sandalwood combo I dont know the smell of orris root in particular I guess its blended in with the buttom notes the aoud has completely diminished at this stage of the scent to my nose. All in all very good and natural smelling gourmand scent. I describe Red aoud as cotton candyish rosey powdery aoudy scent. Definitely unisex on this one and as many reviewers had said a masterpiece and I totally agree.
longevity 10 plus hours on my skin very potent 10 out 10
sillage this projects 2 spray 3 max this works for me not a monster but you will get noticed 9 out 10.
uniqueness very unique smelling for sure definitely a stand out. 10 out 10
overall smell 10 out 10 for love it no complaints from top to buttom.
price vs quality a no brainer here 10 out 10 totally moneys worth.
versatility cold weather day or night

SAKE
SAKE

Fruitee, opulent, riche...
Gourmand like the scene of 9 1/5 week

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Red Aoud has so many reviews already that it seems obsolete to say more . For me , it is the softest , most charming of the series . It's also gourmand , I smell chocolate and saffron . Not many flowers . The Aoud isn't smoky or medicinal at all , it's just like dry wood . The dryness creates a powdery effect , without swinging to talcum . Warm , sensual , and quite feminine . Silage and lasting power are average , less than other Montale , which normally are very strong . Recommended to try to those who don't like a strong and pungent Aoud like Black Aoud but still enjoy the middle eastern sensuality . Languorous , curvy and sexy ! A masterpiece softer even than White Aoud , which I also adore .

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

The other reviewers had this one right, gourmand oud! And I love it!!!! Not too sweet, great longevity, and perfect sillage. It lasted on my skin for 10 hours and had a good, deep, powerful sillage of about 8 hours until it turned into a skin scent. And my skin soaks up perfumes too. I need to get a bottle of this one.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

At first spritz I feel the vibe medicinal oud, but within a few seconds, blends an earthy smell warm and dry, like a root still land were left exposed to the sun! After a few minutes medicinal vibe starts to get in evidence again at the right is spicy, a scent is warm and sweet, sometimes a creamy nuance appears, and soon gives way to a dry dusty vibe, and it's like they fought for decide who is next to the oud.

After some time it changes, and floral notes are evident through on my skin, and some medicinal vibe, and thus extends to the end of the fragrance!

Fixing and projection very good, but the flavor did not please me much, it's not like I expected, if the floral notes were perceptible in the background with the oud prevailing, would be perfect! But the middle to the base notes, on my skin, it just makes him more floral! It has quality, it is indisputable, but not for me!

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

ooohhh godddddd! Here we go. Another frag thats hit the spot. And I mean HIT. SLAM BAM WALLOP. Calm down its just a scent..but its NOT! Its soo much more. On my hand right now I smell foodie and floral and delicious smoke. Maybe it could be likend to the scent of a marshmallow melting over a flame of burning petals. I have to admit I love the gourmands. Not as foodie as Hermes hookah (aka ambre nargulie) but absolutely gormand. Montale 'Red' I was expecting Amber,ginger or cherry but the result surprised me in a very nice way. Could it work on a guy? YES and PLEASE!! (Ill share) Pricey, yeah, you could say that -- but lasts FOREVER!! The Longevity is enormous

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

Opens with a nice blend of oud and pink pepper. I don't quite get the same strong gourmand vibe that other reviewers have noted, but it's there. Dries down to a pleasant musk with hints of rose. miaw2's review made a comparison to Dior Homme Intense. I'd have to agree with that except to remove the lipstick note from DHI and replace it with rose.

Slightly more to the feminine side of unisex because of the rose, but still very wearable for a man.

londoner20
londoner20

When you go to a pic'n'mix you invariably pick out the good sweets: the ones you like and the ones you know are meant to be good. However sometimes you're feeling brave, you take a punt and go for a sweet that you've never tried with the hope it will be a pleasant surprise.

Well, going to a Montale counter is very much the same experience. Out of the 70 choices or so, there are a few standout performers that definitely go in the bag. This was one of the "lucky dips" though. At first sniff, straight away I wanted to rub it off. It smelt of a rank concoction, that was somehow made up of two great things: red velvet sponge cake with vanilla icing, mixed with cumin, red pepper and saffron (i.e. curry). The scent was over bearing and just different to anything I had ever known. I guess over time though I've acquired a liking and appreciation for the sweet and spicy opening.

After a few minutes, the fragrance starts to warm up. The notes reveal themselves individually, yet play together as part of a grand symphony. The Oudh comes out, but it's sweet as if it's mixed with honey. The spices linger subtly, and then as it evolves the rose mixes beautifully and stays there playing it's own tune along with the Oudh (to a lesser extent than Black Aoud but in a good way). It's just a piece of art and I'm glad I took a punt, because this sweet is truly edible.

Kochy7058
Kochy7058

I dont know why, but the opening for about 5 minutes smells and reminds me of the smell when I used to walk into a mall department store like JCpenneys or Kaufmanns.
Dries down to a chocolate sandalwood mixed in with a faint powdery soap. Very enjoyable drydown that projects very well, but not invasive to people around you. Solid office scent and definitely a scent for someone out of school. If you do not like this scent on the first try, I'd give it a couple more wearings before passing final judgement.I'd say include this in your next sample order for sure.

dariapesheva
dariapesheva

Unforgettable, very classy and high quality fragrance. Every drop of this amazing perfume deserves its price.
I smell roses, those dark red roses which my grandma used to plant in her garden. Mixed with the aoud and spices these roses create fabulous aroma and u feel like a queen.Enormously lasting, it gives u comfort,warmth and at the same time it smells expensively and luxuriously.In love in love in love......

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

So I've been wanting to try this for months now and now I finally have! Ok, so I've heard so much about this fragrance. Most of the things i've read or heard have been nothing short of excellent.

Ok, so this starts off with a chocolate chip cookie smell mixed with rose. The rose does not dominate, the chocolate chip cookie is front and center. Upon first whiff, I was blown away! This smells so delicious! Good enough to eat! After several hours of wearing , I would get little whiffs here and there. By the end of the 8 hours i was wearing this, it ended with a nice powdery rose. This fragrance is spectacular from an artistic composition point of view and the longevity is awesome! This is a true gourmand.

Now, I've heard about being easy on the trigger with this one because of the extreme projection. My sample was a dabber, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it has good projection, just not the most beastly of Montale's as everyone was saying. The most beastly that i have experienced so far was Velvet Aoud.

This is definitely full bottle worthy!

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

Montale Red Aoud surprised me with a blast of sweetness straight out of the sprayer. I initially tested on the back of my hand but it was instant love so I decided to empty my tiny partially used sample vial. Soon after a full application, I noticed the freshness of this scent. This is a rich, opulent sweet freshness that I could not ignore. I was pretty impressed because I expected a heavy, dark, pungent Oud but instead I got a niche quality gourmand with a masculine edge. I did not detect the Oud note until around 8 hours after I first applied.

I continued to get delicious whiffs throughout the day but I beamed as a salesperson stuttered through his spiel because it was interrupted three times by, "Damn you smell good!"

Of the notes listed, my nose only knows Oud and vetiver. I suppose the vetiver can account for the freshness but the sweetness remains a mystery. I would compare this gem to Taueraide but I won't because both can't be Best but they are running neck in neck for Fresh.

Cereza
Cereza

What a fantastic perfume this is, it surprised me greatly and I am in love.
It opened with oud as it is it's most noticeable ingredient. I do love oud, but here I was more in love with the stuff going on in background, at the opening the scent is very gourmand, almost smells edible, I do not get cookies like someone mentioned, I get a very dominant note of praline. It is soon followed by a lovely sandalwood and vetiver combo, I love how vetiver plays it's role here making this dry and very sensual.
At the heart most noticeable on me is saffron, but of course the rose is there as well, here the rose is cold and very elegant.
Overall I can say this is a masterpiece and fully worth a bottle. Suitable for both sexes as oud and vetiver works perfectly as "unisex notes".
If you haven't tried this yet - do try. On my wishlist for full bottle this goes with no doubt. One of the best Montale's I've tried so far and I've tried enough and loved enough from his line of perfumes to say that this is very special.

Carestinus
Carestinus

I agree with Descartes on the Oreo cookies... this really smells like cookies and I'm thoroughly impressed by this Montale!!! It has of course a very gourmand side to it but it goes through a different path because it never gets too sweet or cloying or onedimensional as most gourmies do. Oud gives a woody well rounded finish that I simply find perfect, sensual to death and I'm soooo happy I've sampled this. Together with Black aoud at the very top of my likings !!!! This hobby/passion will drive me directly to live under some bohemian bridge if I keep on finding jewels like this one... but what a deliciously fragrant bridge that would be!

Descartes
Descartes

Opens with a goumard Orreo cookies ,then the grounded cacao beans with the elemi and frankincense begins to pulverize the air ; middle notes rose with sparkling musk .The dry down is basically patchouli, Oud and chocolate beans. The whole journey is interesting and there is so much to love and discover. One of my fav from Montale.

CDGfan
CDGfan

As another reviewer put it this REALLY does smell like Caramel Corn.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

This may be the first time I wouldn't concur with Shera Pop, not about her description of course but of my love for this scent. This is the first time I have ever worn a scent for 5 consective days. I wore it to bed 4 times and finally wore it out today (once I got an atomizer to drop it in).

It is such a unique fragrance. Sweet but in a glazed way, spicy but in a refined pepper way, like a spicy you encounter in an Amouage. The florals are curbed by the spicy sweetness and the sweetness curbed by the florals and woody components. To top this off the oud note in here is a smooth as I have encountered in a Montale fragrance.

The unique thing about this fragrance is the combination of notes make it almost a subtle gourmand like fragrance but for the life of me these notes are not describing what I am smelling. Usually what happens for me is whever rose+oud+saffron come together I always get this uniqe sweetness on my sking. Rose Oud, NY Oud, Fearri Oud and even Cruel Intentions all do this to my nose.

Maybe it is the caraway pepper and those notes doing it to me. It smells like it could have some tonka or amber in there somewhere. This thing is just gorgeous to my nose.

This sillage, projection and longevity is Montale Aoud like but not as intense as Black Aoud or even Lime Aoud for that matter. I would probably put it on a Blue Amber level. Overall this is a great fragrance. If you like the descriptions then I promise you won't be disappointed if you find these notes challenging avoid it.

Carnation
Carnation

There is something a little old-fashioned to this scent,especially in the opening. I really thought I was going to love this, but the truth is I am not that crazy about it. It's a little sweet and the aoud is somewhat medicinal in the top notes, powdery and somewhat resinous in the drydown. Think of a slightly gourmand rose, throw the 1950's in, sprinkle some powder on it and that is what Montale Red Aoud reminds me of.

Tonight after my bath, I decided to play a bit of Montale roulette, which involves reaching into my hat box (seriously...) of samples from this house and wearing whatever I happen to select. RED OUD it was.

These are carded manufacturer samples, so there is really no way that I can blame this on some lame decanter who answered the phone in the midst of my order fulfillment. No. This perfume really and truly came from the top-secret headquarters in an undisclosed place where weird tubular aerodynamic bottles are so often filled with perfumes which make me swoon. I was excited for a couple of minutes as I relished the prospect of yet another gorgeous rose-oud perfume from this house. No, there cannot be too many!

Alas, what I found when I donned this oddball creation was complete and utter confusion. No rose, that seemed clear. But what was it that I smelled? Could it be... no, I could not believe and applied more waiting a minute before smelling my arm. Yes, I'm afraid I was right: in the opening wafts I clearly detected....caramel corn!

After that, the perfume became less sweet but still retained a kind of corn-y flavor in the background, along with what appeared to be oud and possibly ambergris. Looking now at the notes, I don't really know what to say--or to think, except that perhaps this equation is valid, at least according to my nose:

saffron + cumin + pepper + some unlisted source of sweetness + vetiver + orris root
=
caramel corn, which morphs into an utterly indescribable mélange de je ne sais quoi que je ne veux plus porter!

Désolée, Pierre, Atmeh, or reasonable facsimile.

Time to return to the hat box...

Cassiano
Cassiano

I’m sorry, but this is not a gourmand. A gourmand scent is one that, somehow, turns on your taste and makes your mouth “watery”. RED AOUD is, definitely, a woody floral scent. A bottled wonder!

Once applied on the skin, it’s frightening, because the aoud note on the top, along with the red pepper. You don’t know if you’ll suffocate and you wonder if that smell will stay strong, like that, until the end. But within 10 minutes, this sensation ends, the potent and medicinal smell starts fading away and the magic happens. From this moment on, I had the one of the biggest surprises related to colognes until today: it changes and evolves all the time and, in about 1 hour, it has evolved 3 times differently. It’s like if I was trying 3 different scents on my skin.

Firstly, as I said, the strong and medicinal aoud + pepper; then, a vetiver that "screams" along with the saffron; and, finally, an elegant rose that remains there, together with the vetiver and sandalwood. It has remained as a floral, slightly powdery, with an imposing vetiver and something "soft and cozy", which I believe is the result of caraway and sandalwood notes. It is, unabashedly, unisex. However, a beautiful rose to be worn by men!
The projection and the lasting are superb. A masterpiece!

M agnificent
L ove at first sight
E ndlessly well done.

Blaze00
Blaze00

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this red aoud is a masterpiece. A MASTERPIECE !!! It is a gourmand oud !!! BEAUTIFULLY done, very very very nice with the safran and the pepper. However it has a caramel-chocolate vibe to which makes it sublime ! I felt in love with the first spray (me ! To tell you the truth, it is very very rare, my first love was M7... i didn't think i was able to fall in love again :) !!)

My only problem is for purchasing my next fragrance : this or wazamba :)

Hayven
Hayven

This perfume is SPICEY! (imagine that said by SNL's Stefon). It started off smelling a little rubbery, but it developed into a wonderful mix of spices and warmth. One spray is all you need; it lasts a very long time.

mocha43
mocha43

I got a sample of this the other day and am loving it! It smells wonderful from first spray though dry down and beyond. It lasts 10 or more hours on my skin which is some kind of miracle and it has wonderful sillage for the first 4 or 5 hours and then lays closer to my skin. I had complements when I wore it to the store. "That smells wonderful, what's the name of it?". Yhe oud is there but quite mellow, the saffron blended with the rose makes it sweet but blended with the caraway and pepper it is spicey, too. I am definitely getting a full bottle of Red Aoud in the near future.

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

Upon first spray I loved it!! It's just so wonderfully different, agreed the 1st spray deceives you a bit, it makes you think it's some overly powerful standoffish scent, but it's not at all well maybe it can be a bit lol but that doesn't last for long the dry down is absolutely wonderful, && it's very well balanced there's a sweetness w/o being overly sweet giving it a nice gourmandish quality, && it's also quite cozy && very easy to wear. && YESS!! MONSTER SILLAGE && LONGEVITY! it's like the energizer bunny it just keeps going && going I showered && I could still faintly detect it on my skin && that was only one spray, && that's the great thing about Montale you don't need much at all. I took to this fast && can say this is one very enjoyable && unique Aoud I'm glad I got to discover new fav! :)

UPDATE (8.27.12): Finally own a bottle of this wooo! love this scent!! :)

Redpula
Redpula

For me on a 1 spritz at my wrist, the top notes gave me slight headache. It was powerful, deep and penetrating.

I was disappointed although the scent is very unique.

After 30 minutes the beauty of this fragrance caught me by surprise and the biggest surprise is that aside from its monster sillage, longevity is by far at par with my A*Men and TM Angel. It's heart and drydown are so wonderful to my nose.

After 8 hours, I woke up, took a shower and it's scent linger on my wrist for the next 5 more hours. That is a stunning and impressive 13-15 hours of wonder. But again, the slight headache will make me avoid to use this perfume unless needed on an evening formal occasion. Not recommended on summer daytime. Be careful. Two sprays is good enough and expect the scent to stick on your skin even after you took shower. Out of 10, I give it an 8.5 for it's haunting scent, strong sillage and monster longevity.

Not sickly, but sweet enough gourmand oriental fragrance!

In the beginning of the opening I feel the oud note most of all, that reminds me about dentistry office scent. But than it opens sweet and not sharp spices and starts to remind me Angel by Thierry Mugler a little bit and the patchouli note especially, but I prefer Angel to it for sure.

Not complex enough to like it, in my humble opinion.

serchina
serchina

This is such an interesting Montale. To me its a powerful sillage MONSTER :) I dont think its close to skin. 1-2 hours after I applied this I went shopping and the sales lady asked me "OMG! what are you wearing?" Its really in my face.
This is definitely more than an oud scent. Its like a sweet peppery rose with a dominant cherry note in it. The saffron is also easily detected.
I have a sample which is quite enough for me and I am happy to experience this beauty, but I dont think I will buy a full bottle. Its more on the spicy-fruity side to me rather than woody spicy..

None of the reviews here could prepare me for how Red Oud would turn out on my own skin. It's gourmand, very edible and yummy, yet it's not sickly sweet. Must be the oud, I mean, who would want to eat something that smells like rubber, right? This smells exactly like some kind of silky, creamy, white chocolate truffle with a rose confiture center. I don't get any pepper at all, which I am kind of happy about. The most interesting facet of this perfume is a mystery note that resembles citrus--it's an inexplicable acridity. While anything sour or acrid usually turns me off, in this case it serves to balance out all of the sweetness.

The sad part is that as it dries down Red Oud becomes too been-there-done-that-soft-and-powdery, a la Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri. And I like Loukhoum Parfum du Soir better than the other two as it has more depth and richness.

I can't seem to forget this one...so while it's not my favorite Montale, I plan to buy a bottle.

ricardodt
ricardodt

Superb is the correct word to describe it. Really powerful. Unique fragrance.

moynah
moynah

How the hell can one describe this? OMG its out on its own. First spray made me frown, thinking "WTFFFF!!" Whats that chemical smell? Like basil wrapped in acrylic monomer Then (thank God) it settles. AND BOY it changes. Powdery, cherries fermented in hot sauce, poured over a warm chocolate pudding, with sugared rose leaves & cinammon sticks - sound too much? Well it is! Its also addictive. The oud? For me it is missing, thats left to the Black Aoud

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Red Aoud is a much milder aoud than Black or White; it is more easily wearble IMO. I wear Black or White if I want to be noticed, but Red stays quite close to my skin. To me it smells rather like chocolate and cherry! It is very gourmand, and sort of "oily". I don't smell spices per se but I think they contribute to the overall gourmand effect. It is very smooth. My only criticism is that it is not quite as long-lasting as the stronger aouds from Montale, which isn't really a bad thing as after a full day of wearing Black Aoud I find it gets a bit tiresome (12+ hours).

kkoun
kkoun

Montale Red Aoud is a favorite of mine among other Aoud fragrances by Montale. This is a very well balanced perfume in terms of three notes: Aoud, Rose and Spice. The composition is smooth and velvety. It is red because of red rose and red pepper. I don't get black pepper but instead something similar to red pepper or pimiento pepper. The pepper note stays throughout its life being very loud in the opening and somewhat delusional in the dry down. Cumin spiced up the saffron with red pepper resulting in a loud spicy Aoud opening Which isn't as medicinal as other Aoud fragrances. I love the Rose-Aoud combo. The longevity is quite amazing. You can smell it on your clothes almost forever until you wash them. I have tried other Montale Aouds such as Moon, Golden, Black, White, Lime & Cuir d' Arabie but Red Aoud is a winner!
There is a mystic quality and just subtle sexiness in Red Aoud that I liked and decided to buy.
Verdict: 8/10

Goldfinch
Goldfinch

I could eat myself while wearing this one:). Oud isn't screaming here, he's only whispering, to my nose saffron, rose and caraway top the bill. On my skin it's like a rose-very dark chocolate veil, not too strong, not too sweet, just beautiful. I don't say such a thing often but it's sexy. But sometimes it's 'only' cozy. I can see myself wearing it day and night, too. Don't know how it works on a man but I'm wondering. Lasting power and sillage are very good. This is my favourit Montale and favourit oud so far. Love it.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

really enjoying this scent! the drydown scent is fabulous. great longevity so far and pretty decent sillage. i've gotten a couple comments on it so far today. strong at the outset - and some might find it overpowering, but the scnet calms down quickly. the opening smelled to me like oud plus a "blood accord" which was fascinatingly intriguing, but not entirely pleasant ;-) . it's quite a distinctive scent IME! i've tried a variety of stuff with oud, but this is easily the 'smoothest' oud i've smelled. can't wait to try the other Montale Aouds!

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Thanks Montale! I can use base oud fragrances because of this! The opening is well balanced with oud, not so harsh and medicinal scent. The heart comes with intense saffron turn it censed the fragrance and the transition to the base, the caraway brings this feel kind of something gourmand. The base with orris root ends in a sublime way this fragrance.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I was very pleasantly surprised by this aoud - it's extremely wearable. It's more subtle than other aouds, and the rose note is beautiful without being too harsh. The overall effect is refined elegance with a hint of sexiness.

fpih
fpih

A strange aoud this one for me; it's less spicy and more sweet, smooth and powdery compared to the other aouds I've tried, both from this house and others. Very intriguing and long lasting but soft and staying close to skin at the same time. As far as aouds go, this one's the most easily wearable and more acceptable to those new to aoud. I really like it, but it's more of a comfort scent than I'd like in my oud.

Update: The more I use it, the more I love it. It's very gourmand and delicious and I simply have to have it. If you like sofisticated, non-too-sweet gourmands, give this a try!

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

Smooth, powdery, spicy, a hint of cardamom maybe?...mmmm. The sun's just set on a Sunday night and I put some on from a sample. It's soothing and engaging, and has quite a presence...I feel like heading out to a museum or something cultural! A grounding confidence booster for me.

I'd split Montale's ouds in two different categories. On one side we have Oud Cuir D'Arabie and Black Aoud that stand out for their uniqueness and their challenging power. On the other side I'd put all the other compositions form the same line as they basically consist in micro-variations on the main theme.

Now, beside what you may personally like or not almost any of the "Aouds" by this house stand somehow on the same level (a good level with the exception of a few really unsuccessful releases such as Aoud Forest and Sliver Aoud). A more or less strong / medicinal oud note joined by a complementary bunch of other aromas to match different tastes.

My suggestion to anyone who like oud is to pick up a bunch of samples from the Montale's range and see which one fits your bill better. Once you've made your choice stick with one, or maximum two of them, as I can assure you that by that point you covered a lot of ground already.

That being Red Aoud is a micro-variation on the main theme taking a spicy (red-chili) direction. The oud note here is not as strong and powerful as in other perfumes from the same line, but still remarkably present. Hidden cacao hints provide some refinement and a sort of gourmandic quality. Nice and pleasant but I stick with Aoud Musk.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Saying that this smells like ripe red berries gently spiced and salted would be way too simplistic. This is the grand gourmet of gourmand perfumes with a well blended fusion of savory notes in delicate balance.

The agarwood in this fragrance is exquisitely delicious, with a sweet and salty woody character that's almost like caramel with a hint of soured dry red rose.

Saffron and caraway are soft but distinct, creating exotic spiced air wafting on the breeze, then settling into an accord that is reminiscent of a spiced sandalwood-vanilla-musk base.

Earthy, yet managing to instill a feeling of sublime rapture and comfort. I think my guardian angel must smell like this.

lfmars98
lfmars98

This is a very good, long lasting fragrance. Its not as dark as Black Aoud; its more powdery and gourmand light like dry cacao. Its more wearable than Black Aoud, but not as bold. It last easily 10+ hours on my skin. 9/10.

trax
trax

I can only review this scent up against Aoud Velvet from the same line, as the concept of ouds are still news to my nose.
Red Aoud reminds me alot of Aoud Velvet, I feel you're hit with the same initial blast of oud in both Red Aoud, Aoud Velvet, Crystal Aoud and White Aoud..
Red Aoud is without the sour notes from Velvet Aouds jasmine and orange blossom, and carraway and saffron gives Red a warmth that I feel is lacking in Velvet.
It is a tremendous confidence booster, the one I'd put on before a meeting in the bank..
It reads as very warm on my skin, whereas Aoud Velvet comes out clearly cooler in temperature.
Red Aoud struck me as more familiar somehow than did Velvet Aoud. Red plays it more safe. For this reason Velvet Aoud wins over Red Aoud in my book. I wanted the uncompromised eastern experience.
Even if Velvet can suffocate a small village..
..well actually, all from the oud line is capable of that ;)

adele l
adele l

Doesn't smell like anything i've tried before! Its opening was almost medicinal and off putting but one minute later oooh interesting. Is it the saffron or carraway? It's slightly sweet and there's a rich rose in there somewhere- the drydown is not as straightforward as the other montale aouds- it doesn't have their middle eastern nuances and woodsy drydown- red aoud stays sweet. I love it for entirely different reasons than i love the other aouds and that's all right!

Dark Curls
Dark Curls

Oh dear god..this is quite possibly the most exquisite, sensual, exotic perfume i have ever smelled. This, is to me how I imagine the beautiful Cleopatra to smell. I am head over heels and I must get a large bottle asap! I will cherish my precious decant. This is breathtaking so spicy and warm, but completely unlike anything else in my rather large collection- even the real spicy ones. I can't and won't stop smelling my arm!!!

rebella
rebella

You´re enjoying the most beautiful sunset in your life, the sun is enourmus, and glowing like a red ruby in the sky. The evening getting darker every second, and the sun colours the sky in amazing colours of golden, warm pink, bright red, orange and purple.

If this scenery could be interprented in a scent, that scent would be Red Aoud.

It´s warm, mysterious, comforting, spicy, glowing, deep, cool and truly gorgues in every way. The notes seem to blend seamlessly in and out in each other. The aoud is very precense in it, but not as sharp and loud as in Black Aoud, only just enough to make the scent so interesting, complex and oriental.

No doubt about me liking Red Aoud I guess? I do more than like it, actually I have to get me a big bottle of this. Red Aoud is one of those perfumes I don´t want to live without. Nothing comes even close when I am longing for it.

Amazingly longlasting, great sillage, this is not for a shy wallflower, Red Aoud will make you noticable. But more in a classy, beautiful way than common and vulgar.

Like the mysteries of the Orient in a bottle.

A must try. Don´t blame it on me when you realise you´ll need a full bottle of it!

Kterhark
Kterhark

What a fun, spicy scent!! I love the pepper note, and the underlyin saffron and carraway give it a sweetness that makes it very interesting. I would say this is a good sample for those who can come the table with a ready appreciation for Woody Spicy fragrances. It is a little sharp, and as a Montale it's going to be over the top and high sillage and longevity. After the one hour mark it really hits it's stride and is hard not to love.

guest_Andy
guest_Andy

Red Aoud is to sweet
it gives me a headache at first
but when it dries down it stops giving me a headache
a very soft drydown
more suitable for a woman

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

To me, Red Aoud is so much more wearable than Black Aoud. Red is soft, smooth, not too strong. Red is sweet, warm, but also dark and deep. A little hint of chocolate makes Red very delicious and enteresting. I love this Red.

SandraS
SandraS

I tried this for the last two days and
Wow... its everything Jeca described and more. I'm tottaly off balance since its not usually my kind of scent, but is so well balance and distinct, perfect sillage that envelops you in tender warm arms. Very spicy, its last all day on my skin. It has few layers, making it deceptively simple. Very sensual... it makes me fell sexy. Perfect for this cold days when you need an extra push to get you going. Can stop smeeling it on my wrist.

jeca
jeca

I like this perfume, I have spent a day with it, and it was very bright and comfortable all the time. All ingredients are warm, even hot, but smooth and well-balanced, I smell the rose in its heart. I think it is dark red, or brown red.

Aoud Collection - Red Aoud by Montale 4.16 out of 5 based on 343 ratings and 62 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Aoud Collection - Red Aoud fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Montale Aoud Collection - Red Aoud, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Aoud Collection - Red Aoud by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Aoud Collection - Red Aoud by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.