Designers » M » Leather « Groups

leather
oud
smoky
tobacco

This is probably the most courageous and deepest aroma from the entire Montale oud line. Aoud Cuir d’Arabie is a combination of tobacco, dry leathery and smoky notes of birch and oud. Extremely sharp and strong at the beginning, the composition becomes softer as the notes dry down, but remains very intensive, dry and strong.
Aoud Cuir d’Arabie is a spicy rich composition with strong animalistic nuances of leather from the top to the end. If you seek a strong leather scent you need look no further. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Montale.

Tobacco Birch Agarwood (Oud) Leather

Aoud Cuir d’Arabie Fragrance Reviews

Matt Oldham

I would say dirty socks rather than fecal, or more specifically the kind of poppers that smell like dirty socks. Someone mentioned cheap bathroom cleaner, another said band aids: it's all true; ie fantastic. Like watching an evil black-winged genie emerge from a lamp.

landshark321
landshark321

I don't consider myself much of a leather lover but Montale's Aoud Cuir d'Arabie is well-blended to the point of being very appealing, among the best I've smelled of the house. It's a mix of leather, oud, birch, and tobacco. The oud makes the experience animalistic, but it's unusually smooth at the same time, blending well with the woody birch and pungent leather.

The leather itself is most pronounced at the opening, fading into the dry down within the first hour and a half. I get only a little tobacco in the dry down, which I would classify is as blend of the leather, oud, and birch. It's a baseball-love-meets-oud sort of mix.

It's not the smoothest leather (a prize I'd still give to Coach Leatherware No. 3), but it might be the smoothest animalistic oud leather, much smoother than I've previously imagined such a type of fragrance being, so it's a pleasant surprise. Still, I can see how it might be polarizing since I confess that animalic scents tend to be hit-or-miss with me.

Performance is well above average, as with most cold-weather Montale fragrances, very strong in both projection and longevity.

8 out of 10

Matt Oldham

Sort of has an Anita Pallenberg Satanic ritual smell. Absolutely fantastic. For people who wear Iris Silver Mist instead of just reviewing a sample.

VVHYY
VVHYY

Have you ever had a friend that perfectly assuaged a part of your soul that no one else on the planet seemed to be able to tolerate, and you kind of understand why? Or watched a movie that you really loved but didn’t know anyone to whom you could possibly recommend it? That’s territory inhabited by Montale’s oft-maligned Aoud Cuir d’Arabie. I can see why people might think it’s terrible. But my dear reader, they’re wrong.

I likely came across Aoud Cuir d’Arabie as an option for one of The Perfumed Court’s leather or animalic sampler packs. Researching it lead me to fear it. Approaching this one takes some huevos as the internet is full of very strong reactions. Reading reviews with terms like “fecaloid” makes even considering sampling this a forbidden affair. What kind of contrary idiot wants to smell fecaloid? Is this intended to shock? Is it supposed to be an ironic dare that someone would deign to intentionally smell revolting? Thankfully, not in the slightest.

A fragrance that paints a picture can be exciting and novel. A fragrance that is an experience can be worth visiting a few times. Aoud Cuir d’Arabie is, to me, much more than a dare or an experience. Yes it can conjure up associations and fables that may be off-putting. But frankly, it’s an amazing journey. With one spray to your skin you are presented with a live animal, bear witness to its slaughter, behold the vulnerable flesh made permanent and durable, and finally are handed a rugged, beautiful new product that will serve you for a lifetime. Yes it’s brutal. As are most of man’s luxuries.

I find Aoud Cuir d’Arabie to be very, very beautiful. Perhaps unconventional for a perfume, but magnificent nonetheless. It may warrant revulsion but it certainly doesn’t warrant fear. To me it is not offensive in the slightest. It opens with a fatty oud note reminiscent of a barnyard – in my opinion the comparisons to ripe bleu cheese are more spot on. It quickly melds with a rough leather and strong tobacco and birch notes. Together these strike a chord that entices the nose with a realistic slab of leather that hasn’t been coddled and perfumed. Rugged leather that whose origin nobody bothered to hide, the type used in cheap work gloves and tool belts. Life with a bit of death on it. Not tainted by it, but better defined by it, like shadows on a face.

Understandably not everyone would want to smell this one time, let alone wear it for hours. I approached this seeking leather and animalic fragrances, so I was certainly in the right mindset for it. I also have the benefit of a rural childhood full of barnyard smells and assisted in slaughtering and butchering animals for food, so I may be a bit desensitized if not downright nostalgic. Life is a tree whose soil is death. If you can appreciate the facets of life that aren’t polished and sanitized, or appreciate a bird’s beautiful song even more knowing that it is essentially a lewd proposition, you may be a good fit for Aoud Cuir d’Arabie.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

I can't get enough of challenging fragrances. I had a sample which I'd only spray when alone and primed for the reaction which was and still is revulsion. I just now expect eviserated wilderbeasts and pig intestines hauled over sun baked rocks. Yet I am comitted to sitting it out because the reward is mmmmm sweet hypnotising primal.......natural leather. Raw and real. Awesome

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

I taste too eccentricity that the House Montale prints in their various fragrances, knows not ?! All exotic, extreme, beyond the limit, unlike anything we have ever been known, even if it is banal, does not escape the eccentricity of the House. Aoud Cuir d'Arabie Montale is a highly awful perfume, never felt anything more distinct in that he perfumery walk, and when we think we've seen everything in this world, something unusual comes and surprises us again. Its opening, middle and end, but because he does not evolve N-U-N-C-A, are Birch aromatic logs smoked by submerged bitter Tobacco in a sea of Oud bubbling and exuding nuances that refer to fuel a backdrop where one perceives rustic leather touches too. The way the Oud is presented in this fragrance is the best way to know the real and terrible scent of Agarwood wood (Aquilaria agallocha), for those who still do not know her brutally, because here she is not medical, but oily, flammable, with a flavor that approaches gasoline, kerosene or equivalent. I must say that is not very sensible, it is an aroma that satisfies those who live in the country of Oman forward, and look there! I (my nose) even among controversies, taste, appreciate and love this too eccentric aroma. Montale have the values of their bottles of perfume nothing available for sale, so take a "blind" here is a terrorist act, or no going back, because it fixed and exudes enigmatically well from start to finish. If not for the imminent balance between the notes of the composition of this perfume, surely it would be a disappointment with all the letters.

Word of the Day: opposition... (day 43)

Otakar Ishar
Otakar Ishar

Listen someone about Montale Aoud Heritage ? (scent of oud wood with a seductive touch of musk)

PurseJunkie
PurseJunkie

I’m glad to get a chance to try this again, because I didn’t get a lot from it the first time, hard as that might be to believe. Based on this second try I can only assume I had the nasal equivalent of hysterical blindness.

Opens with strong oud-sweetened leather with a bit of tobacco and takes about five minutes to grow a rose. In fact, there’s so much rose that I am mystified why it’s not listed as an official note. Rose is kind of what Montale does, right? Why be coy?

After 15 minutes I take another big whiff and WHOA! Who let the horses out? Fortunately, at arm’s length I just get a nice rose sent; I don’t smell the big, bad barnyard unless I put my nose right up close to my wrist…which, of course I keep doing because I’m kind of nuts.

People talk about the dryness but I really don’t get the dry idea.

In the end you’re left with a less sweet version of the somewhat Band-Aidy leather from the beginning, before the Rose Parade started. It has its charms, but on the whole I like my leather a little less “raw.”

Cochlea
Cochlea

Aoud Cuir Arabie (tested from dabber)

The opening of Aoud Cuir Arabie is an unbelievable experience!
I live in the middle of nowhere, in the summer when I am driving on the long stretch of road with the windows open- I can smell a volatile stench-a thick, muggy, nasty stench in the air from the manure steaming under the hot sun, wet hay, and farm animals. I live right near a well-known chicken farm, the smell gets really bad in the summer! The people who live in the area will burn the weed, blackberry bush, old dead grass, and the occasionally odd plastic bottles. Gasoline, lighter fluid will be sprinkled all over the property. I love the smell of gasoline, it is intoxicating! When the stretches of farmland are set aflame, there's dense smog gray, thick, billowing with smoke in the air. it adds a whole other element to the scent. This is what the opening of Cuir Arabie reminds me of.
The leather is very heavy and the oud is distinctive, heavy, pungent and smoky in Cuir Arabie. It is a showstopper! The oud becomes more rounded after a time on my skin. The sweet pipe tobacco comes through softly on my skin causing the oud to be a little sweet.
On my skin I sense rose, it is so shy. I wish to have more of it.
The leather is glorious and very strong. The tobacco is in the background. The longevity and sillage as expected by Montale is awesome-10 hours!

I appreciate and respect Aoud Cuir Arabie, it is a wonderfully thought-out and crafted fragrance. It is not something I can wear with ease as I prefer my oud to be a bit softer and well-blended. Cuir Arabie is perfect for people who enjoy wearing OUD. Try a sample first.

Tiger84

Update: of course I couldn't resist. :D It came at a huge discount, and yes, it's so unique that I bit the bullet, despite not needing any more perfume. That's not the point, after all, who "needs" even the first bottle anyway? It was really worth the purchase. It does last 4-5 hours, which, while not up to Montale standards, is still not bad, and the scent is so unique and badass and powerful, overpowering yet sensual... Nothing like this. And yes, it is not nice and not easy to understand and accept. You have to work for it and open up for it. And you must have a dark streak for it to work.

imanpower
imanpower

the smell of real oud (first time in montale line)makes this fragrance challenging that is why it smells like old chees or fecal i smell this same fecal oud from al haramain obsessive oud same type of oud.

nemorino
nemorino

Am I the only one to be skeptical about this so called " niche" brand?

Here is what I think....there is nothing artistic about this brand, they make linear fat very loud and artificial fragrances. This has nothing to do with the indepandent nose who creates from scratsh his own brand while he or her has something to say with fragrances...
This is a big multinational that has analyzed the market and saw that there is some money to grab in the "niche segment".

It is a disgrace to see the "fragrance community" jump on it and even creating this hype..

PS: .this also goes for that other so called "niche " brand MANCERA

ACd'A is a torture....you need to undergo 2H of stink-animalic-smell before you get to a banal, Aoud-leather-smoky-creamy sense, that doesn't project that great.

Tiger84

This is one of the very darkest frags I've ever smelled. Sometimes I struggle to smell the leather in this, it's so rubbery medicinal oud and birch tar, even rose, with the leather playing hide and seek while the oud is present in its full glory. Very black. Unfortunately not as strong as I wished. Based on my sample I can't decide if I like it enough to buy because it doesn't live long enough on my skin to unfold in its entirety. But very special. Probably the most powerful scent I've ever tried so far. More badass than Leather Oud. Usually I don't mind smelling unperfumelikely but this is an acquired taste for me. It smells like strong ink and dies off before it could finish its journey. If it was stronger I would probably buy it.

Oudy
Oudy

Number two in what was a three pack from Montale I recieved yesterday. Along with Dark Aoud and Black Aoud. I started with the Dark...amazing! And now this.

Hmm...this is...interesting to say the least. I've had it on for about twenty minutes and...well, it reeks! It's not a bad smell, per se, just a very different smell. This is what it smells like to me.

My grandfather used to chew tobacco. He would sit in contentment, rocking back and forth in his leather easy chair, chewing away watching baseball or whatever. He used a glass mason jar stuffed with folded paper towels as a spitoon. Every once in awhile he would lean forward and expertly spit this brown stream of juice dead center into the jar. I used to watch, Fascinated that he never missed. Anyway, the smell that came out of that jar was a dead ringer for this. It was the first thing I thought when I dipped my nose to my wrist and inhaled. Gooey tobacco and leather. After reading some reviews here, apparently it develops into something else as it dries down. We shall see. So far I like it because it's different. Has an unwashed, farm quality to it.

To be continued...

Ok well it's been two hours or so and...well...I really wanted to love this. Of the three Montales I recieved, I thought (after reading reviews) that this one was going to be the best. It's certainly different. I just can't get past the somehow...juicy/skanky tobacco. It's dried down a bit, but it still smells like sweet hay that's been trampled by shitting cattle. And my grandfathers spittoon. Plus while Dark Aoud lasted ALL day and projected all over town, this is already close to the skin and I have to search for it. I really wish I liked it better.

Scent 7/10...very different and I've never smelled anything like it
Projection 5/10
Fortitude 7/10

P.s....it's been around 4 hours and it's really turned sweet...almost floral. Like meaty flowers.

Basteri
Basteri

wow.... this thing is lethal in the opening, civet,leather and birch... what a mess. No doubt there is great deal of art and talent invested in the composition but hard to wear. A beast masculine fragrance that believe it or not vanished in two hours leaving only a creamy animalic leather note. Now that I keep smelling my hand its quite erotic and primal. Good and there is nothing similar to compare with a crazy and interesting Montale interpretation of leather. aoud? yet but only at the opening.

Auguszta
Auguszta

This frag selects its worthy wearers by testing the applicants' patience with an outrageous opening note, a cross between the smell of barns and that of burning rubber. Those who get past that 20 minute stage will be rewarded by a lovely oud-leather-rose combo with a hint of tobacco, getting more powdery by the hour, drying down to a heavenly skinscent still full of character. Some of that initial nasty, fecal undertone remains, but that's what makes it sexy as hell. It's quite addictive, actually. But not for the faint of heart.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

What a surprise! What a wonderful surprise!

After I had all but given up on the house of Montale producing anything other than bombastic bio-warfare agents passing as perfumes, I finally got around to trying their Luca Turin-endorsed masterpiece.

It is utterly unlike the other Montale's I have tried (Black Aoud, White Aoud, Red Aoud, Blue Amber, Forest Aoud, etc. etc. etc.)--there is none of the chemical volatility (or "explosive sillage" if you prefer) and the Montale synthetic rose, while present, takes a decided back seat to the REMARKABLY AUTHENTIC leather.

And that's the accomplishment here, at least in my book. I find leather to be the most challenging note in perfumery. Some (Knize Ten, Cuir de Russie) give up on the leather altogether and go instead for a nosehair-singeing shoe polish that is somehow uggestive of leather based on individual scent-memories. Others go right for the animal itself (Leather Oud). Aoud Cuir d'Arabie somehow gets it just right. This is the smell of a tannery or an open-air leather market. Livestock (horses, mainly) are nearby, but the finished product is front and center. Marvelous.

Two criticisms seem to pop up frequently with regard to ACdA:

1) It is linear
2) It is too raw/barnyard/animalic/fecal

Based on my test, I can't agree with either of these. The fragrance evolves nicely, slowly, and predictably from the tanned leather opening to a surprisingly gentle and sweet floral finish. In fact, it veers dangerously close to white floral territory, which is my bete...noire (so to speak).

As for the overwrought complaints about how savage Aoud Cuir d'Arabie can be....nonsense. It is a pussycat in comparison with animalic counterparts like Leather Oud, Kouros, or Antaeus. I rather like the progression from powerful outdoor leather market to floral with a hint of oud...it mirrors the transformation of a leather jacket into something incomparably comfortable.

Kain
Kain

This is something kind of different from all Montale fragrances that I've tested before with some new notes to my nose and some oldies!
The opening is definitely a challenging scent that may back you off or get your attention.
At the beginning I can smell a heavy, I'm saying it again, heavy dose of musk followed by sweet saffron and something new that many of you never smelled before called "salix aegyptiaca's blossom extract" and some darker notes.
This "salix aegyptiaca's blossom extract" is some kind of extract that using it is very common in my country for making a very famous and local beverage. it has an intense floral and kind of herbal tone which has many fans and also many haters! at the opening I can smell the scent of it beside MUSK, saffron and some leather.
The musk note as I said before is very strong and it has a dirty, sweaty and kind of animalic vibe that many of people may hate it. specially because of that sweaty part.
The sweet saffron and that salix aegyptiaca's blossom extract notes covering up the heavy musky scent and making it more pleasant but still it's challenging!
There are some darker notes specially leather to give the scent more depth and darker vibe.
If you don't like that sweaty feeling wait for about 5 minutes.
In the dry down that sweaty feeling is gone but heavy musky note does exist and dominate. now I can smell less salix aegyptiaca's blossom extract but more saffron and that dark part of the scent moves from leathery, smoky toward the dark woody (oud).
The mid is a very familiar scent to my nose only with a little bit differences.
Semi sweet and kind of heavy animalic musk, saffron, some floral notes and some oud in the background. sounds very familiar right?!
The scent didn't change in the base.
Projection is good and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
Definitely try it before buying it. not a safe blind buy at all!

راستش این کار مونتال یکی از متفاوت ترین کارای این برند هست که هم یه سری فاکتورهای آشنای مونتال رو داخلش داره و هم یه سری چیزای جدید که البته بوشو خیلی خاص میکنن بطوری که خیلی ها مطمئنم بدشون میاد
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی بسیار بسیار قوی مُشک ترکیب با رایحه زعفران، رایحه عرق بیدمشک (بله درست خوندین) کمی رایحه های شیرین و مقدار مشخصی چرم شروع میشه
رایحه مشک بی نهایت قویه و یه حس عجیب و خاصی شبیه به بوی عرق بدن و بوی سفیدآب به همراه کمی حس کثیف و حیوانی داره که مطمئنا خیلی هارو فراری میده و چندان دلپذیر نیست و باعث میشه بوی عطر خیلی خاص بشه
رایحه زعفران و عرق بیدمشک مانند تا حدی این بوی عجیب عرق و سفیدآب مانند رو پوشش میدن و مخفی میکنن اما بازم این حس به وضوح قابل حس کردنه
مقدار مشخصی هم رایحه چرم وجود داره که حس سنگین و تلخ و کمی دودی به عطر میده
اون بوی عرق بدن مانند رو اصلا نمیتونین تحمل کنین؟
یه 5 دقیقه وقت بدین بزارین کمی بگذره
بعد از حدود 5-10 دقیقه اون حس عرق مانند تقریبا از بین میره اما بوی قوی مشک با اون حس سفیدآب مانند و بوی نسبتا کثیف حیوانی اش همچنان قدرتمند حس میشه و حالا بوی عرق بیدمشک مانند تا حد زیادی ملایمتر میشه و رایحه زعفران کمی قویتر. همزمان با این تغییرات بوی دودی چرم جای خودشو به بوی چوبی عود میده
رایحه میانی بوی استاندارد خیلی از عطرهای مونتال رو داره که فقط به خاطر اون دز بالای مشک کمی متفاوته وگرنه به طور حتم بوش برای خیلی ها آشنا خواهد بود تو این مرحله
دیگه تا آخر بوی عطر تغییر چندانی نمیکنه
مثل اکثر کارای مونتال پخش بوی خوبی داره و ماندگاریش هم حدود 6-7 ساعت روی پوست هست
حتما باید تست بشه و خرید بدون تستش اصلا کار عاقلانه ای نیست

rob2b
rob2b

People really are horribly dramatic about this frag. I got a sample today and although I wasn't enamoured with it at first test, I think you get exactly what Montale's notes listing claims.
The oud and leather are distinct and raw, with the sweetness of the tobacco and birch lifting the whole frag to where it needs to be.
For the first 30 minutes it smells a bit like floral bathroom cleaner, but then after dry-down it smells exactly like some guy's leather jacket with a touch of his girlfriend's perfume lingering around the collar.
All-day longevity and classic Montale sillage. Manly and unapologetic.

GianGG
GianGG

It smells like raw leather(babouche ect..) you can find in a north african bazar.

Expensive fart.

michael.j
michael.j

Everything others say about the fecal opening is completely true. It's merde absolue in a can. I have some Combodian oud attars and they all start out like this. BUT, the dry-down here is utterly magnificent. I love medicinal, camphoraceous ouds, and this is a full-on band-aid oud softened with smooth, creamy, dry leather. Mercifully, there are no syrupy ambers or vanillas to "warm" it up. I love this and it may be fb worthy. I despise leathers with vanilla and amber, and this "clinical" leather is a welcome addition to the genre. It's so buttery and soft you just want to pet it (which might explain the poopy petting zoo opening). It really does go on like a bovine's dirty diaper, but ends up the oudy, brushed suede interior of a fabulous leather briefcase. Enduring the smell of the inside of the cow for a very brief period is totally worth the reward of smelling its exquisitely tanned outside. I love the leather-oud balance. Both are clearly detectable and complement one another beautifully.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

If Band-aids were made of leather, they would smell like this. Heavy medicinal oud on the opening, but then dries down to a smoky, woodsy leather with the oud hiding in the background. I enjoyed my sample but not full bottle worthy.

Hahah! Gileshowe's review/comments below says it all so eloquently.

I will just add that the opening of this fragrance is disgusting, really vile like a chemically supercharged roque forte!!! Really it has a putrid cheese note to my nose!
Pardon my French... it's fucking terrible!!!
However, once that subsides you get a very rough and unrefined leather scent which is so primal it actually has a certain charm of its own.
More madness from Montale...try it once you get past the horror of the opening (if you can?) it's an interesting raw leather fragrance.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Hmm, some similarities to Patchouli 24 Le Labo on first sniff: medicinal, briny, something like wound dressings and olives. I had a flash of a texture memory of elastic support bandages. And adhesive? Then, on me, the fragrance quickly flattens into a generic masculine soapy smell.

The whole thing reminds me of an old-fashioned hospital experience, like something washed and bandaged, or a bit like when I was little before the era of latex gloves, the smell of the dentist's bare hands in my mouth.

A not unpleasant series of wafts of antique smells but nothing to hold this together as a fragrance for me.

jtd
jtd

The irresistible force, the immovable object. The rock and the hard place. He-man and She-ra. Leather and oud are the bad-boy/bad-girl notes of perfumery. They've both been considered vulgar, impolite and slutty. They're the enfants terribles of pretty perfumery. It makes perfect sense that they'd be taken up by niche perfumists as icons.

So, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie should be a clash of titans in a bottle, right? After a spectacularly rocking 5-10 minute opening we have the answer.  No.

However it comes about ( * ) this perfume goes from waving its arms and yelling at you to quietly turning its back on you so quickly that you have try it again and again to make sure your sense of smell isn't out of whack. I suppose the leather and the oud simply cede the fight to each other and maintain a quiet detente of dry, vaguely tarry woods. It's not an unpleasant ending to a perfume, but in this case, quiet means lackluster. Also, 5 minutes of excitement followed by 8 hours of uneventful drydown isn't my idea of the top to basenotes approach of classical perfumery.

* three points of comparison to capture the hurrah-to-hush effect:

1) The paradoxical effect, as in medicine. A medication given as stimulant causes sedation.

2) The dosage effect, as in medicine. For instance, a medication at one dose may cause dilation of blood vessels and lead to decreased blood pressure. The same med at a higher dose causes constriction of the vessels and increases the blood pressure.

3) The exaustion effect, as when two evenly matched television drag queens square off in a battle of wits and drama. It's all nails and spittle until they tire and their hair falls flat.

from scent hurdle.com

fuckoff123
fuckoff123

Yeah, the opening is horrible. You would want to avoid any human contact the first half an hour or so. Try it!

hog
hog

Initially the opening was horrible...i was seriously telling myself "Who the heck would like this?" but after about 20 minutes the scent starts to shine. Very animalic and woody...a lot of oud IMO. The projection and longevity for me is beastly. I want to completely finish my decant until i give my final grades.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

The first thing you get when you apply this is a very barnyard, fecal note, I'm not sure if this is caused by cambodian oud or a very animalic leather. But once you pass that stage the whole composition gets softer and a toned down version of the classic rose oud Montale combo emerges. I also get a pipe tobacco smell together with the leather in this stage that is very interesting. While it evolves the composition becomes very resinous, leathery and animalic, it gets very close to the skin becoming a skin scent, and when you think the scent is gone, you suddenly get a waft of it trough the air. Just marvelous!

I confess that the first time i tested it I got shocked by the opening accord. But then it started growing on me and I became addicted to its leathery, resinous and animalic characteristics, I think this is the best Montale I have tested this far. Highly recommended for all leather freaks out there.

Gileshowe
Gileshowe

I love me a leather fragrance. I like the luxurious whiff of a classic car, the bracing sting of a riding crop, a shiny briefcase full of money, a jolly expensive sofa, volumes of important old tomes. But this perfume takes leather in an entirely different direction. This is a roughly cut, unpolished leather utility satchel made from the skin of dead animals, cured in toxic admixtures and sold baking dry in the blazing heat in a morroccan souk. There isn't a shred of luxury here, not a whisper of high class frolicks or well mannered outdoor pursuits, if this is sexual its only In a dirty, unwashed, back alley way, for me this isn't sexy or seductive at all (for if that's what you're after then go get Dior's Leather Oud) this on the other hand is rather a scent for either a leather craftsman, a buccaneer/pioneer/pirate/frontiersman type, or (for I suppose, it is unisex) the kind of woman who takes it upon herself to have altars in her house to deities she made up, filled with amethyst crystals and fairy figurines that get knocked down by her many, many cats. She doesn't have that many friends - perhaps because she smells like this.

redfive
redfive

Luxurious, and darkly manly, this opens for a brief moment as a bit boozy, but at the same time is mouth-wateringly enticing. The Oud exists, but is there to support and boost the sweetness of leather and tobacco. I don't get the whole "fecal" or "band-aid" thing some mention here or on other sites. Of the scents I have tried, this one evokes imagery well--mainly of being dressed in Arabian garb and riding a black stallion.
I got this in a sample along with "Dark Aoud" and this one is vastly superior to that one. It is as manly as Black Aoud, but more user friendly. While it's strength and longevity could make it considered a fall/winter/night scent, it's truly Arabic impression would not preclude summer/day as well.
Wear this and you will become a Sultan with a well stocked Harem.

aouragan
aouragan

Back in the late 1970s and mid-1980s I was living in a small town in the West African Savannah. Off and on, I'd smell an extraordinary fragrance in and around the market. I visited all the little shops and stalls looking for perfume or incense, but I never found its source.

Thirty-five years later I rediscovered the scent completely by accident, when Aoud Cuir d'Arabie showed up in a sample pack of "smoky" scents from the Perfumed Court. I now can only guess that some folks in the town's Housa trader community were picking up oud based perfumes while on Hajj.

My perfume vocabulary is not developed enough to really talk about this, but ACd'A is so close to that smell that it seems the same thing. I've since sampled many other oud based scents, but this is the one that brings it all home for me.

I am puzzled though why many people talk of this as a cold weather perfume. To me it should be worn sitting under a kapok tree at a sorghum beer seller's stall in 40C/105F heat while listening to the village drummers and watching the girls go to market.

Zenith
Zenith

In Australia every one has at some point taken part in a barn dance. Basically imagine 50 people in a barn on hay, animals close by and hay being trampled by the people who are of course sweaty. This fragrance took me back to those times. The stuffy hay and leather opening is really almost offensive compared to most fragrances.

This dies down and makes way for a predominant leather note which lasts for some time. It honestly does not smell like leather does in most though, it actually smells like a piece of leather with no frills attached.

I'm glad I got a sample as it is a wonderfully made and unique one, but I cannot really see why anyone would want to smell like this all the time. Worth checking out

Ouch!
Ouch!

I'm always a bit wary of leather in perfume because while I like the smell..I don't want to smell like it.

This perfume opens with a blast of leather and oud. Dry dry dry..and more dryness comes from the birch.

Not my style at all but I can appreciate it.

This is an extremely dark manly scent (of course it would smell amazing on a woman too) but..to me it just feels like I put this perfume on and I'm wearing a second hand leather jacket, owned by a smoker thats been stored in a cupboard with lots of incense. It smells old and musty. Not something I want to smell like.

I'm using my sample but this would never be a purchase for me.

Darwish
Darwish

Pure sex, animalic ingredients with lots of burnt wood in combination with spiritual aoud! This EDP is made only for the real macho/charismatic man, not meant for pussies!!!!

Possum-Pie
Possum-Pie

Cuir d'Arabie is a tricky fragrance. It opens with a fecal note that quickly disappears. You are left with Montale's signature oud, and leather. The combination is excellent. I think people either love or hate this fragrance. I Love it. Like all Montales, the longevity and sillage are above average. a very Arabian leather harmony

Pace,MioDolceCuore
Pace,MioDolceCuore

Heaven help me. Old chairs, museum, antique shop and ahem, leather belts being taken off with that grin. You know, one.belt.loop.at.a.time. Warm from being worn.

I am female and I NEED.A.BOTTLE. of this.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Gorgeous scent in which the oud smells like oud and the leather smells like leather. Blooms into a carefully woven black leather whip that stings a little, but reserves feeling through balanced indoles and a touch of saffron. Durable, resolute, medicinal, and definitive.

moynah
moynah

This is the closest Ive ever smelled to Pure Oud Cambodi (the motor oil stuff) If you are into the hard-core naked, no fuss Oud, this is for you. One of the few Ouds I cannot wear without sweetening it up by cocktailing it with something else to add a feminine touch

loru
loru

I've spent many years in the Arabian peninsula and I can confirm, being an oud lover, that this oud is the closest to the real expensive one (from Cambodia).
Even though I agree that it's mostly a masculine fragrance I think that a daring woman can appreciate it as well, as I do!!!!
To be worn in winter and better at night.
Good lasting power.
I love it!

silfra
silfra

Totally agree with suburbanites. Breathtaking! A masterpiece. The best cuir fragance ever. Even I'm a woman,I must get it!

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

Quite disappointed in this as compared to their Aoud Red. Interesting open. Strong. Rich. High sillage. But it quickly dies back and then is barely there. Maybe 90 minutes to 2 hours of worthwhile scent. Effectively dead after 3 hours unless my nose is touching my wrist.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Just astounding! I've experienced Ouds, but this...this renders me speechless. It's truly a magnificent experience! I'm so glad that I ordered a sample of this to understand just why Montale's fragrances have become as close to a "de facto standard" for Ouds, and this is such a rich, luxurious fragrance that I'm really at a loss to provide a description that does it justice.

I've seen it described as somewhat linear, but for me this opened with a strong note of leather, Oud just beneath the surface. Over the course of wearing, it dried down to a much more subtle note that revealed a deep rose-like scent that softened the overall composition. Tobacco -- a very deep tobacco -- was present through the first several hours until the base was reached, and it seemed to transform itself to Oud, tobacco, and rose. Depth is stunning, sillage and longevity are both very good.

Love it! Absolutely love it! This could easily become my favorite or signature scent -- I must get this!

This is breathtaking! Two of the strongest and potentially most challenging ingredients around mixed together with an awesome result. If you like oud and leather this is possibly one of the best takes around but be careful because this is not a fragrance for everybody. Oud Cuir D'Arabie is quite challenging and incredibly intense. The opening is almost arresting with a blast of animalic notes and oud (a-là Montale). In this phase the fragrance is skanky, unpretty and raunchy but it quickly evolves into a more conventional yet nonetheless fascinating blend of luxurious rose and leathery-tobacco laying on a resinous oud base. Brutal, intense and absolutely unpolite!

You've to be in the right mood to wear Oud Cuir D'Arabie and make sure to be in the same mood for the whole day as it lasts over 12 hours. A must-try for anyone into Oud 27 or Dior's Leather Oud.

Rating: 8.5/10

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

At first it’s a mixture of strong animalic leather, a sharp citrusy floral, and green notes reminiscent of melon and grass. It’s as if the scent is traveling in three very different directions at once. If there is oud in the mixture, it melds into the leather accord to give it a pungent, woody dimension.

As the components fuse and the drydown begins, the floral part reveals itself as a citrusy rose that starts dancing in step with the leather, which is more of a new raw leather than a dyed and finished leather. There’s also the slightest wisp of campfire smoke from the birch tar that presumably is part of the leather accord. I never figured out how or why the melon came into the picture, because it seems completely incongruous. It does gradually dissipate, leaving behind a beautiful, fairly straightforward rose-leather combination. After some time there’s a nice, sweet amber-labdanum in the base.

The interesting top notes only last about an hour with low to moderate sillage, after which all that’s left is an ambery skin scent that manages to make it through 2-3 hours before giving up the ghost. The beginning 5 minutes are somewhat bizarre, the next hour is an enjoyable leather-rose scent, and the last couple of hours are just a faint leathery amber that sticks to the skin. The concept is interesting, but the serious lack of longevity in this scent is disappointing.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

ACDA is one of the worst scents I have ever smelled.
I am by all means fond of strong and "special" fragrances, I wear Black Aoud, for example.
However, this composition made me scrub it off after I managed through the first 20 minutes or so because I was hoping for an improvement.
There was none.
ACDA smells like leather, yes. But the leather is still on the dead animal. It is gruesome !
Would not want to smell this stuff anywhere again, it made me sick.

eljayebee
eljayebee

I disagree that this is a totally masculine scent. It's very leathery, in a good way. Unlike at least one other leather scent I'm familiar with, this one doesn't morph into hot asphalt and burning tires on me (Knize Ten!) If you wander through Wilson's Leather stores just to sniff the air, you will probably enjoy this one. And while a man can wear this alone, I tend to pair it with other scents, sweet or spicy, to feminize it a bit. Makes a great base.

Vincenzo
Vincenzo

Wonderful. I have no other words to describe this scent.
One of the most courageous perfumes that I've ever tried. You need a lot of courage to wear it, and if you will be successful to wear it, then Aoud Cuir D'Arabie will become a drug.

At the top notes it's pure oud. Simply.
Initially, the smell is like a "stable" and hay, a stink, very hard to smell! But after a few minutes this flavor fades and oud became more aromatic: powerful, but beautiful.
After many minutes starts to emerge a smoky, wet, fat leather and tobacco notes with oud always present in the background. Leather and burned woods with power of oud makes the (very savage) middle/hearts notes.
In the dry down the the scent becomes less wild and more gentle and fine. The leather is a leather more delicate and elegant. I've never tried a leather reproduced in the purest way as in this perfume.

I think that this is the fragrance closest to the pure and precious oud and the fragrance that reproduces in the most perfect way the real smell of leather. Surely it is the wildest fragrance I've ever worn: savage, smell of tannery. It transports me into an arabic market full of leather clothes for sale. Either you hate or you love it. No middle. And I love it. But remember: it's stuff for "die hard men".

Sillage is very good (more discreet than Black Aoud).
Lasting power/longevity: excellent.
Masterpiece.

Vincenzo F.

mocha43
mocha43

I received this as a sample from Lucky Scent and have tested it on myself 4 or 5 times. It is definitely a masculine scent. I find the combination of oud and wood assertive but not unpleasantly so. I do not pick up a tobacco scent at all. It lasts 4 or 5 hours on me.

veruska
veruska

My least favourite of Montale's Aouds this blends tobbaco and aoud in a winter green camvas. Totally for men, but i would'nt like to smell it on my habby!

Aoud Cuir d’Arabie by Montale 3.93 out of 5 based on 218 ratings and 49 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Aoud Cuir d’Arabie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Montale Aoud Cuir d’Arabie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Aoud Cuir d’Arabie by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Aoud Cuir d’Arabie by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.