Designers » M » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Aoud Velvet Montale for women and men

Aoud Velvet Montale for women and men
dislike

oud

Aoud Velvet by Montale is a Floral Woody Musk fragrance for women and men. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Montale. Top notes are african orange flower, ylang-ylang and tiare flower; middle note is agarwood (oud); base notes are sandalwood, vanille and tonka bean.

African Orange flower Ylang-Ylang Tiare Flower

Aoud Velvet Fragrance Reviews

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

Not A Review:

Does anyone know as to where I can purchase this from, this is one of my mom's fav. scents I had got for her when I worked in this Niche shop that sadly had to close down :(.. Anywho she always got compliments from it ands loves it & she's been out for a while I want to get it for her this xmas, but sadly also my go to Niche site Luckyscent doesn't carry it either.. I've seen it on some other discount frag sites, but I'm always questionable of the authenticity of higher end brands from sites like that.. Please PM Any input of a trusted site that may carry it would be greatly appreciated thanks! :D

streetter
streetter

Luscious fragrance. I'm a man and I rock this. Smells extremely expensive and proper. Beast mode projection for an hour and then settles down on me into an oud vanilla combo. Top notes I get expensive red candy and bananas.

polly golightly
polly golightly

dopo aver sperimentato varie profumazioni arabe a base di oud, quelli di montale hanno perso per me gran parte del loro appealing. bisogna senza dubbio riconoscere a Pierre di aver precorso i tempi e di aver "occidentalizzato" sentori assai diffusi in medio oriente da tempo immemore, molto prima di quanto non abbiano fatto tutti gli altri nasi. epperò le variazioni su tema oud, al prezzo dei profumi di nicchia, mi suonano un tantino ridondanti. questo è un oud floreale, come ce ne sono miriadi a poco prezzo, centrato su ylang ylang e non sulla rosa, e su altri fiori bianchi. è un accordo morbido, non di oud secco e medicinale, che col tempo vira sul saponoso e che possiede un che di fruttato. il risultato è di legno profondo e dolciastro, vellutato sì, ma non del tutto gradevole per me. buttatevi sugli olii arabi: costano un decimo e ce ne sono a decine.

jays786
jays786

Just an average scent not for men nothing ground breaking.

davitea
davitea

This is 70% floral and 30% oud and this is about the ratio that I want(I could even go with less oud).
So it's a beautiful rich flower bouquet in front and sharp oud in the background, just in a supporting role, but giving the composition debt and complexity.
Mellows down as it wears out, but the longevity is superb.

psebi101
psebi101

Flowery opening accompanied by the oud. Nice and light, not pungent at all. A bit soapy from the neroli, but that passes quickly. Warm and sweet, the name "velvet" does justice. In the dry down it gets even sweeter due to the vanilla and tonka; the flowers are still there until the end but the oud disappears.

hisuinomadoromi
hisuinomadoromi

This is really great scent. A little heavy, including anxiety, decadent, noble, sensual. The feminine sweetness of orange flower and the masculine individuality of the Aoud . This scent is like a luxurious silk overlapping beautiful queen. No other brand make such parfume. I give praise to MONTALE.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Identical to several other ouds by Montale, half floral/half oud, soft, velvety in fact, but nothing more, if you are familiar with their other ouds, the same applies here with basically no variation - not implying it's bad, I just don't get why putting so many identical/almost-identical scents on the market.

5,5-6/10

larali
larali

Imagine a room, with luxurious carpet, and heavy wood furniture which is old but has been polished lovingly over the years. The bed is large and perfectly made, with many soft pillows. Sunlight pours through a small window, lighting the intimate space. Aoud Velvet smells like this room would smell. It is exotic, but not the typical tropical fruit exotic-- more like exotic as unfamiliar, as if you have been invited into someone's home whom you don't know well. (Of course the home would be lovely and welcoming.)

This is obviously quality perfume, it's very powerful and only a tiny drop is enough to scent your body. I am new to Oud and have not been exposed to lots of high end perfumes, so this fact surprised me at first.

I do love it but I have many more Montale samples to test before making a final decision whether to purchase it!

Denoula
Denoula

I have to say I am rather disappointed with this. Like elusivek, I think 'it's a light/subtle oud (very good for someone who may just be delving in to ouds)'. It seemed thin and watery to me, even though I used the whole 0.5ml vial. I like oud, but this also had a kind of chemical tang on my skin, which admittedly wore off quite quickly. Definitely long-lasting; 10 hours later it's still there and has dried down to a pleasant enough sweetish vanilla oud. Regrettably, I'm not captivated.

zosoroxy
zosoroxy

Montale: ??? ~ imho, this house seems just all hype. I sampled 2 "Aouds" (Aoudh Velvet,& Red Aoudh): Pathetic. Nothing but watered-down synthetic Oudh, w/ generic, non-descript Florals & Vanilla, w/ sub-par complexity, depth, sillage, & longevity.

Please, note that I am only a beginning perfumista- Not an expert! As such, my opinions are based upon just 2 yrs. of perfume exploration, to date.

Reason my humble opinion is so harsh: ~ A year ago, I was gifted ~ 30 UAE various 1 ml. vials, of Oudh CPO's (Concentrated Perfume Oils) from the United Arab Emirates region (UAE). CPO's contain zero alcohol, & I was told that this is the way fragrance is typically applied to the skin, in the Mid-East. A single ml. vial was enough perfume for several, whole-body applications! Although not all 30 individual single scents were to my personal liking, at the very least, every single drop, of every concentrated perfume oil sample, was intensely (explosively!) fragranced, w/ incredible body, complexity, sillage, longevity. It was immediately clear, that "Master perfumers" were at work, behind the scenes, to achieve a skillfully blended perfume!

And, relative to USA/French niche perfume prices, CPO's are sold *cheap*. I mean, just AMAZING / incredible bang for the buck! In comparison, Montale seems a blatantly obvious copy-cat / brainchild of a Frenchman experienced in UAE fragrance culture- Presumably a Mr./Ms. Montale- To water down, fancy-package, over-price, & market traditional UAE-style frag's, to unsuspecting (USA) consumers, the all-too-ready-to-spend on something "worldly", Western perfumery market (me). Perhaps the Western European consumer market (France/England/Germany buyers, etc?) are more aware of the time-honored traditions of South-Eastern European CPO's, & therefore, are not so easily duped into buying Montale's watered-down knock-off's?

Now: I apologize! I realize that Montale has achieved near mass-marketed popularity, w/ a big selling line-up; And, given sales, vast # of new releases, rave reviews, & all the hype, I've assumed there must be something "magical" happening @ Montale perfume house! Thus, I was thrilled to receive several 2-ml samples, generously gifted to me by a fellow perfumista :)

Btw- I'm told, by a major UAE CPO supplier, that in the Mid-East, quality CPO's are traditionally sold in small, off-street-markets, decanted (at the check-out counter) right off-the-shelf, from a large & varied selection of hundreds of larger carafes, on shelves lining the entire store's walls- Into a perfume vial, of the buyer's choosing. Blends vary from week to week, or even day to day (!). The larger Carafes contain oils blended by / from relative no-name brands; Or very affordably branded perfume nose "blenders", and, the combinations are mathmetically endless, so that no 2 CPO's are ever the same!

Thank you for reading the origination of my perspective. My suggestion is, as an alternative to (extremely) watered-down, overpriced Montale perfumes, to instead, explore a bit (!) Approach any reliable UAE / CPO supplier to ask for help in selecting a fragrance :) In my humble experience w/ a handful of vendors thus far, shop-owners have responded very enthusiastically & welcoming, when I've asked for help/ opinions to select a few new Oudh frag's to try! I've been guided to much better quality, authentic, longer-lasting & more affordable CPO's (vs. Montale).

Some etailers offer CPO's in These CPO's in very small qty's, ie, 3 mls. (A fb size is often just 8-18 mls.) I found one I looove, called "Shadha" CPO, by Swiss Arabian- A well-known UAE perfumery house. The exterior (metal) gilded "cage", adorned w/ faux sapphires, houses (protects) a slender glass vial hidden inside, containing ~ 18 mls. of CPO. Cost was ~ $40. A few strategically placed dabs, lasts 24 hours+! "Shadha" by Swiss Arabian, can be viewed here on this forum.

In summary, my personal opinion is- Montale bad. UAE perfumeries, the original inspiration for the Montale house, offer vastly superior CPO's, at a fractional cost!

elusivek
elusivek

I think my sample may have gotten messed up somehow because this does not match the description at all! For me it's a light/subtle oud (very good for someone who may just be delving in to ouds), although personally I like my oud a bit stronger. Then there's a very strong floral but it comes off like a deep rose to me, not white flowers or any sweetness. It's like a cleaner version of Montale Aoud Queen Roses. Actually a lot like it, just take the leather and stronger oud out and it's my sample of what's supposed to be Aoud Velvet. Pretty linear, very very strong in the beginning, lasts a good 8+ hours and lingers forever on fabric. Almost 100% certain this is not Aoud velvet, really wish my samples came labelled (they were carded but the vial itself is blank).

mendwillie
mendwillie

Opens with Ylang-Ylang glorious making their mark, with sharp black OUD leaving his trail, and note the splendid Tiare Flower embraces all that fragrance. Wow, yeah that's what I want to smell glorious and worthy of full bottle. Potent Projection and Powerful Longevity. Great Montale love your creations.

I classify it thus:
Smell: 9/10
Projection: 10/10

Estebanz
Estebanz

I currently own 9 Montale fragrances,all in 100ml bottles,and in my opinion some of the very best Montales,those been ( Red Aoud,Aoud Leather,Intense Cafe,Aoud Musk,Sweet Oriental Dream,Dark Aoud,Red Vetyver,Blue Amber and Aoud Velvet),they all very potent,extremedly Powerful fragrances with Beast Longevity,but I most admit,out of my 9 Bottles the most Powerful of them all is hands down Aoud Velvet,this stuff is so powerful that when i got a sample for the first time,it came on a plastic Bubble envelope amoung 7 other samples and believe me people even with the plastic bubble envelope closed I could smell the Aoud Velvet just by holding the close envelope in my hand,I even did a test side by side with Black Aoud and this runs over Black Aoud in potency,OMG i wonder what Pierre Montale used in this formula?,longevity is equaly stelar,you are going to get 12 plus Hrs no matter how desert Dry your Skin is,now in terms of smell i most start off by saying that this fragrance to me is 55% feminine and 45% masculine but To me thats not a problem at all,Aoud Velvet is one of the most exotic smells ive ever experience,its an intoxicating White floral bomb with a sharp tiare Flower that it smells somewhat Tropical but not beachy like,its more like the smell of Flowers near the beach on a romantic dinner in hawaii,along with the tiare flower i get a clean sensation almost soapy hidding under the super aromatic tiare flower and along with all this i get the Deep smell of Oud to dirty things up,the Oud here adds the misterious Oriental feeling to make Aoud Velvet a very unusual Floral clean yet dirty gothic Oriental Smell,this fragrance commands Attention like none other,if you dont like to be the center of Attention I will strongly recommend that you stay away from this because once you spray this on your skin you need a commitment for the next 12 hrs,there is no way to hide this bombastic juice,Compliments none stop everytime I wear this,Now I also need to advice not to over apply because it can be very cloying,Im one that like to overspray,and to give you an example I do 10 sprays of my Amouage Epic Man as well as 10 of Interlude Man and even 8 sprays of My Nasomatto Black Afgano,not with Aoud Velvet,this is very Floral, and super duper Concentrated/Powerful,so no more then 5 sprays,trust me people,so final rating 10/10,you get way more then what u paid For.

Many Montale devotees (myself included) seem to be drawn especially to the rose-oud perfumes, which make up a majority of the list, and the outliers seem to be hit or miss, so I was not at all sure what to expect from AOUD VELVET. I am not much of an oudie, but I do like the Montale aoud note. Some people say that it is "fake" or "synthetic" or "civilized" or "simplified" or something along those lines, but I find it much more likable than "the real thing"--at least as far as I have sniffed. So what could the velvet be about? I wondered.

A number of other reviewers have compared Montale AOUD VELVET to VELVET FLOWERS, which I have tested but not yet reviewed, and I have to say that I find the two perfumes very different, above all because of the strong and distinctive gurjum note in VELVET FLOWERS, which is absent here. I'll review that perfume subsequently.

While I'm on the subject of Montale intertextuality, I should perhaps observe that I am in possession of a sample allegedly of Montale FLEURS D'ORANGER, provided to me by a decanter who assures me that the perfume came directly from a Montale bottle purchased at the Paris boutique. The mystery remains: why is this perfume for sale nowhere and listed at none of the fragrance community websites?

As you can readily see, Montale spear-headed the OCD perfumista movement, galvanizing people like me to spare no expense to test every perfume of their house--or any house--in order to finally feel that we have a grasp of perfume aesthetics. Alas, many less worthy contenders have washed up on the shores of websites like these, pandering their wares and offering up stories of how as small children they were always fascinated with scents, and that is why and how they arrived at the vocation (after abandoning several others) of "creative director" and have by now launched dozens of perfumes.

Those sorts of "jump on the bandwagon: everyone's a perfumer" houses have played a significant role in the tamping of my former desire to test every perfume in existence. Not going to happen. Let us give credit where credit is due, however, and further aver that the avalanche of flankers and limited editions being put out by the big houses--now nearly all corporatized--has also sapped any remaining motivation which I may have once had to sniff any and every new launch. Disappointment after disappointment with new ueberhyped but undercomposed and way too abstract mainstream launches has more or less cured me of my perfume-specific OCD. No worries, those tendencies have found their expression in other venues. But I have digressed. Big time. ;-)

Montale AOUD VELVET is to my nose a surprising marriage of orange blossom and oud. I say "surprising" because it's definitely not a combination which I'd have come up with! Orange blossom and oud? What? Well, now that oud has become the note du jour (or should I say the "it" note?), I suppose that perfumers will try anything just to produce something "new". The surprise is that, in this case, it works!

The texture of this creation is indeed somehow velvety. No idea how Pierre or reasonable facsimile managed to pull this off, but the oud and orange blossom seem equally balanced and equally beautiful. I still prefer the rose-oud perfumes from this house, but this is a fine oriental orange blossom perfume which I can heartily recommend to lovers of that flower. I find this composition more feminine than not, but any guy out there who does not shy away from big billowy orange blossoms, may enjoy wearing this as well.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

This is one HELL of a scent, let me tell you! To my nose, and everyone that's been around me, this is an AMAZING scent! I started off by putting a dab of this on and it was everywhere on me, my hair, my clothes, my surroundings! You definitely don't need much of this to get a reaction. This is a very POTENT scent , however this is my first Montale to try , so i have no idea how strong the others are, but trust me , it's strong. I wore this to work one day and before i sat down, pretty much everyone could smell me coming! LOL! Within 3 hours of wearing this fragrance, it was if I had just applied it. That's how beastly this is! This is a good thing in my book, as I love huge projection and sillage, I don't see the point otherwise.

As far how it smells? It's definitely got OUD, but it's somewhat in the background to my nose. The front runner is Tiare flower and Orange flower, not to be confused with Orange blossom, which is clean. This scent has a very tropical vibe to it. Not your beachy type tropical vibe, but tropical flowers. I've been to Hawaii, and the tiare flower is pretty on point with the way they smell. However, the mix of those two notes create a Starburst candy like smell, preferably, the orange and strawberry flavors. This is that times 80! Very concentrated and strong. I think if you buy a full bottle, it could lasts you several years because of how it only takes a little dab to really last. I'm so getting a full bottle of this! Holy grail fragrance!

Norgirl
Norgirl

I love this one
the velvety feal Yes the name are very apropriat to me.. It is like blankett off soft but dark flowers wrapping you in..like a dark summernight when all the garden is in full bloom.. Not any garden , but a mysterias oriental garden .. This also has the Oily rose feal i think is coming from the Aoud.
the ylange ylange is the most forth coming ff the flowers on my skin . then a hint off tiare and vanilla sandalwood and orange blossom.. a real uplifting joy to wear

this i realy want a bottle off. so so beautiful.. again this is supoosed to go for bouth men and ladys . well .. to me this is very much feminin <3

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Starts off with soft warm spicy florals--I'm reminded of marigolds for some reason--but as Aoud Velvet melds with the skin more and more of the unique and at times borderline discordant oud note slips in. The oud intensifies after about 30 minutes; never at the point where it clobbers one's neighbors with its scent, but spraying discretion is advised. At the 3 hour mark Aoud Velvet has calmed into a oud/sandalwood combo. If this is the most approachable Montale oud I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about the others, but not bad for my first Montale.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This is a really beautiful and longlasting aoud. Not brash or shouty, the aoud and white flower notes meld really well and the effect is elegant and comforting. Of the Montale samples I've tried to far, this is my favourite.

lucifera
lucifera

yes this is very similair to montale's velvet flowers!

trax
trax

You're hit with the intitial BLAST of ouds in this one as with in Red Aoud, White Aoud and Crystal Aoud.
I will compare it to Red Aoud as that one (on my skin at least)strikes me as most similar.
The flowers in this one somehow combine to read geranium (!) on my skin! Loud and clear, and I can't stand geranium, so this took some getting used to. Ouds, "geranium" and ylang ylang goes on strong all through my Velvet Aoud experience.
Velvet Aoud wins over Red Aoud because it does not play it as safe as I feel does Red. There is something truly uncompromising about this scent.
I have not quite yet befriended the not-there but very-much-experienced geranium note, but still, this goes on my love list :)

annabolina
annabolina

Enthralling, rich white flowers with the oriental twist.A bizarre touch from the aoud.If you want to feel the real beauty of this scent- wait for 30 min, or an hour. Warm, voluptuous, deep, refined. For grownup ladies, who are aware of their sexuality. High heel needed.

mocha43
mocha43

This is a captivating, beautiful scent. I have received several Montale samples from Lucky Scent and am loving them. Velvet is rich and complex, first scent is unfamiliar but lovely, (I think it must be the oud, this is the first time I have smelled oud). The oud is blended with orange blossom, and then, develops an enticing,vanilla and more, fragrance. It is also very long lasting. It smells like more than 5 notes are in it's composition. So Velvet is on my wish list.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Aoud Velvet fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Montale Aoud Velvet, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Aoud Velvet by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Aoud Velvet by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.