Designers » M » Woody Floral Musk « Groups

dislike

I have it: 777 I had it: 188 I want it: 638 My signature: 21

oud
Black Aoud Montale for men Pictures Black Aoud Montale for men Pictures

Black Aoud by Montale is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for men. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Montale. The fragrance features rose, french labdanum, musk, patchouli, mandarin orange and agarwood (oud).

Rose French labdanum Musk Patchouli Mandarin Orange Agarwood (Oud)

Midnight Oud
Black to Black

Black Aoud Fragrance Reviews

Marilimorajaspani
Marilimorajaspani

A beautiful big black aura of aoud. It layers well and it gets compliments. For me it is present, it doesn't go into the background and I like that, it is reliable and protective that way.
I would rate this 9/10 and not 10/10 because I prefer my juice in glass.

zekita
zekita

Love it !!

All women who felt the smell in my body love it !!

Dark-X
Dark-X

Orange, rose, & oud. A beautiful combination with the fantastic, signature Montale performance.

RIYL: Hajar by Syed Junaid

Shwets

Please see my review from 2nd Oct 2016.
I haven't changed my views since then. Re-tried today and again, was so disappointed as the pre-reformulated version sounds like a dream from the reviews...

MickZ
MickZ

Roses. And more roses. This is a concentrated blast of said flower, and to my nose, the whole affair is overbearing -- but admittedly, I do not like rose-based fragrances but ordered a sample given its reputation. This is very feminine to me. If roses are your thing, you may want to try Lyric Man from Amouage as well. 5/10.

rakan1985

100% night fragrance
sharp oud

Enrosadira
Enrosadira

L'ho trovato molto leggero, e su di me dura poco.
Non mi convince del tutto, mi ricorda l'acqua di rose rinforzata da un po' di oud. Ha un retrogusto interessante che non riesco a definire.
Profumo poco impegnativo, tranquillo, interessante ma forse poco sfacettato.

Russian's man
Russian's man

Black Aoud it's the ''flaghship'' of the Montale's oud line and one of the most valued oud's fragrances. Basically, it's a balsamic dark earthy rose more masculine that feminine. Then, it's rather linear but with deepness and richness.

It's very exotic and sophisticated wherewith it's more suitable for nights and Winter. Longevity and sillage are outstanding. Generally, the lenght on Montale's fragrances it's asegurated.

Scent: 9
Longevity: 9
Projection: 9
Sillage: 9
Uniqueness: 8
Versatility: 5

Overall: 8,16

JEDI 2.0

I bought a 5ml sample about a year ago, and promptly stashed it because it was WAY too overbearing, way too rosy for me.

Fast forward to about last week. ...I was digging through old samples, and stumble upon this. So, I sprayed it on just to revisit it. And boy, I gotta say, I've warmed up to it!

I'm not sure if my sample has "turned", but what I'm getting now that i didn't notice before, is an underlying ambery syrupy sweetness....just the slightest bit. It's made this much more enjoyable for me to wear.

Still a relentless rose fragrance, but i dunno, it's somehow "different" now. If you find this overbearing, maybe decant a few ml and let it sit for a year =)

assim.hayderi
assim.hayderi

This one is the perfect body spray for summer seasons when the mosquitos start multiplying. This smells exactly like the mosquito repellant we use during the summer. Of course there is the dirty rose note in it but how on earth can somebody suggest that there is Oud in it? Oud doesn't and shouldn't smell like this. I have many oud-based scents and non of them smells like this. It is terrible and I am glad I tried it before shower.

Longevity: N/A
Projection: N/A

highroller
highroller

Black Aoud by Montale: This is a very pleasant and seductive fragrance. The Rose note is the shining star here. Patchouli and Oud bookmark Rose and walk along side her while Labdanum and Musk trailing closely behind. Rose is never overbearing in this private party of well blended friends, each of the male notes clamoring for Rose's attention.
This party is short lived, however, as Rose retires early, leaving the boys to a battle of longevity to see who will last the longest. In the end they all fade away after only a four hour night at the bar and soon return to their flats or homes and bed down for the night. Ah, well, after all, it must have been a work night.
This is a gorgeous fragrance, the notes are beautifully crafted, don't let it's short life discourage you. Remedy this by adding this to a mini travel spray and refresh yourself with this seductive and calming fragrance as many times as you wish. Don't be shy with the trigger, fire abundantly. It's more fun that way.

pontifex maximus
pontifex maximus

Terrific fragrance, 2 sprays on the chest will get me through the day. I love to layer this with other rose fragrances like Declaration d'un Soir...thumbs up!

Augustarina
Augustarina

After falling in love with White Aoud, I was curious about Black Aoud and suspected I'd love it just as much. I have been wearing it for 4 hours now and I do love it... almost as much as White Aoud.

Black Aoud is beautiful, warm, makes me want to inhale it with my mouth open to get as much as possible. It has similar elements to the white but it also has an abrasive note that might be the mandarin. There is something amber-like at times, which isn't a favourite with me but it's worth tolerating for the rest of the fragrance.

I love the opening - the medicinal band-aid smell is there but not as noticeable as it is in the White Aoud. Maybe the mandarin orange offsets it a bit, I don't know. The rose seems full-bodied and rich, and the leather is warm and sexy. This is quite a sensual experience. I think I won't have too much trouble persuading my husband to try it. He may regret it a few days down the road, though, when he's exhausted and all used up!

The thing with these two Montale scents is that they really are whole body experiences. Two other fragrances I'd put in that camp are Shalimar and Liz Claiborne Realities.

leila_mic
leila_mic

I received a small decant of it and haven't got a clue it was "for men" (by the way, I'm a red-headed SHE) ... So I spritzed it on and ... Oh my!!! It's heaven on my skin... Roses blended perfectly with patchouli
The aoud I can hardly detect, I can only say it's gorgeous
I have doubts that I will share it!
On me it lasts more than 12 hours and the sillage is huge
It's winter where I live and the fragrance is a bomb ... I wonder if we could survive it during warmer weather
Best sexy and dark scent without being too sweet or girly

Otakar Ishar
Otakar Ishar

Listen someone about Montale Aoud Heritage ? (scent of oud wood with a seductive touch of musk)

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Let’s start with the good news: nearly all ouds by Montale share the same exact boring artificial oud notes, while Black Aoud doesn’t really. It’s very different from any other oud scent by Montale (still good news here), and actually it doesn’t seem containing oud notes in the first place for me. The bad news is that it would have been so better if it was “just another oud by Montale”. Because as is, it smells revolting for me. It’s basically an extremely dry, bitter, bold, rather pungent, extremely artificial and overwhelmingly horrid woody-patchouli powerhouse drenched in latex, with some faint rose-musky notes and an Oriental aura of dark spices, also slightly infused with something resembling to coffee. Basically Van Cleef pour Homme, Boucheron Homme and A*Men Cuir having a threesome in a seedy sex club scented with some supermarket rose room spray. And despite I am a fan of powerhouses, even the cheaper ones, I find this a complete failure. It’s just too much. And not “too dark” or “too daring”. Just “too garbage”. It smells really too cheap, acrid, vile and screechy to be even barely wearable just for fun. And also, it seems to me completely uninspired and uncreative, given that it clumsily emulates a type of scent – the zombie macho drugstore powerhouse – you can get with a fraction of its price. Just get Van Cleef pour Homme, let it rot for a while, paint it in pink, here’s Black Aoud. The drydown is tolerable (maybe it’s just the relief speaking), but all in all it’s still an abysmal pointless experience I wouldn’t really recommend.

4,5-5/10

MonsieurDeBanane
MonsieurDeBanane

Black Aoud: A rubber-gloved rose maniac is grabbing people by the neck in the public rose gardens, pushing their faces into blossom after blossom until they pass out. They awake unharmed yet unable to forget their ordeal.

Traian
Traian

Too old grandma smell for my nose! The only thing that i admire in this Montale is THE LONGEVITY AND PROJECTION, which are BEASTS. Right now i'm not very used with rose oud combo, not my cup of tea. I like more the Oud without the rose! Something like Dark Aoud or Aoud Leather, this are the ones i tried from Montale.

Hatta
Hatta

Monster beast that i love
don't ever try to spray more than 2 sprays
unless you want to everybody to know how you smell
the top notes of this beast just strike you in the head
but the middle notes and the dry down just beautiful, rose and out that combined all day long, last more than 12 hours on my skin, 24 hours on my shirt

careful with this one
try before you buy it

chove
chove

In my high school, the inner roofs were spotted with lumps of used snuff (not the dry powder that you're supposed to sniff, but the kind you store under your upper lip – a Swedish invention so important to us that we wanted to withdraw from the European Union once we realized that our fellow Europeans wanted to ban this hazardous and discusting habit). Anyway, the smell of the stuff is awful and in total concordance with the opening of Black Aoud. The snuff smell is supplemented with a pungent rosy scent which only makes it worse. Synthetic is not the word for this, industrial rather, especially later on, as it transforms into an exact copy of sharp, liquid soap – Bliw, to be precise. It might be possible that I've totally misconceived Black Aoud, but I still feel the need to warn those considering it: I think it might actually do you harm.

lilymorena
lilymorena

The post has just arrived with my samples of aoud.

Black Aoud reminds me Calligraphy Rose from Aramis, but much more intense. It may be a bit strong, harsh and yelling but it turns to a soft aoudh rose composition. I like it. But maybe because I am a woman I still would choose Calligraphy Rose. Anyway I think a guy would smell great with Black Aoud. I suppos a great scent for a night out.

2e time testing it:
One word... amazing. The best of five oudh samples, why? It is a sort of fragance that chooses you and it loves my skin. I am new in the perfume world but one thing I know for sure, I love this scent. I tested it and compared it to:
- LM Black Oud Extract
- Agonist Dark Saphir
- Al Haramain Ode of Oudh
- Mancera The Aoud

kanak
kanak

I like this. A dark saturnine fragrance with contrasts between dark oud and red,blood red rose but god almighty, is this a bomb! Nuclear fallout projection. 1 spray to the chest and it still kept radiating out of my clothes, knocked my cat into a torpor and irritated the hell out of my Dad who I was driving to an appointment!! After that 3 different clients I met through out the rest of the day said I smelled really nice and complimented my scent. Came home, had a shower, went for my yoga class, back home again and my Mum could still smell it strongly on me and she hated it. So this is a polarizing fragrance, not everybody will like it.

It really is a 24 hour frag. Lesson here being go easy on the trigger and let this one settle a bit to get the best out of it. With great power comes great responsibility so use this wisely. I like this but it's not something I see myself using all that frequently for the reason that it's a projection monster and so probably inappropriate for work and daily use. so my 100 ml bottle will probably turn into a family heirloom, passed down from generation to generation! when 1 spray is all you need, 100 ml goes a long way. not for everybody but definitely worth sampling. you will either love it or it will give you a splitting headache!

banorgue
banorgue

I love this smell very much, the masterfull contrast and balance between the the dark oud and the bright rose. Just because of this good balance can a men easily wear it without any problem. I can not say this from many other nice (oud)- rose scnets. My problem is that it lasts only solid 6 hours on my skin and projects 4 hours. Where is that very long lasting quality what others mentioned. Is it because of some reformulation of the scent or my skin "eats" the scent! I do not know but it is pitty because I like this fragrance.

bled_eidol
bled_eidol

Up close, the rose note actually reminds me of raspberry candy. Synthetic, but intriguing. However, with a name like "black aoud," I was hoping to find more complexity with the musk, patchouli, and oud. I'm detecting very little if any of these notes, besides a rather subtle undercurrent of oud. This is predominately sweet and floral on my skin. On the plus side, I must say this is one of the strongest perfumes I've tried. Two or three sprays should do the job for most occasions, and it does seem to create a "scent cloud" around the wearer. It's nice, just a little more linear than I expected.

Rene007
Rene007

we finally have it in our shops..but i am so sad - its not as i use to - its absolutly got changed, no more my favorite!

Shwets

I think i have just tested the reformulated one! This is not as luscious as many reviewers have stated. Its quite thin. Black Oud is one perfume I have been dying to smell (apart from vintage No 5). The opening is lovely but the dry down on me is very similar to many scents. Rose D’Arabie is superior in my opinion. On my skin Black Oud resembles Monotherme Rose Oud. However Black Oud is strong and great sillage. It appears to be getting more stronger with heat and with time! I just wish the rose was more in full bloom on me. The oud and musk is stronger and so it’s a no no. But im sooo pleased I was able to try this at the Prince’s Pharmacy in High St Kensington. They have branches in Knightsbridge and Edgware Road. Im not sure if many are aware of this pharmacy. I also managed to try Chocolate Greedy which I wasn't keen on the opening but it dries down amazingly – as many vanillas work for me. I think that Al Rehab Choco Musk is no less!! Plus that lasts more!

30avash
30avash

یه پیس رو مچم زدم احساس کردم یه سطل گلاب روم ریختن

alxkwst1996
alxkwst1996

What an exotic, elegant fragrance! To my nose, the main dominant notes are the oud and rose. Also, in the background, there is a smoky accord with just a hint of sweetness. One of Montale's best oud scents.

[email protected]
peeck@charter.net

This one is a heavy hitter! Not for the tame of HEART! I find this fragrance to resemble New York Oud by Bond No 9 at least in the beginning. Then during after about an hour or so it tames down a bit and becomes a musky oud with the rose very slowly slipping in the background but still detectable. Some what of a linear scent but still very pleasant if you give it some time...

Now about all the confusion about Paris Made and the International Version of Montale... What I have researched on how to tell the difference, there are 4 things... the Paris Made vintage Montale that everyone is use to getting with the more concentrated juice is...

FIRST, the amount of liquid in the canister is listed 100ml 3½oz. below the sticker (BLACK OUD) on the canister and the on the box in the Paris Version. and on the International Version it is NOT listed... nothing below the sticker on canister or box.

SECOND, The top of the canister is more rounded before it meets the sprayer on the Paris Version. Where on the International Version, it has more of a coke bottle curve to the shape of the canister.

THIRD, The font (MONTALE) on the Paris Version looks like it's slightly stretched out. Where on the International Version the font looks like a normal font.

FOURTH, In the Paris Version the juice leaves a very shinny residue once it is sprayed... probably since the oils are more concentrated. And on the International Version it has less of a shinny residue...

I hope this helps! Thanks to LEX from youtube. :-)

syedemad
syedemad

I had a chance testing this after long search for this one. People living in Indo-Pak will feel a "Supari" (Mouth freshener) sort of vibe from this, actually that is Rose :)

I believe the one I tested was Paris version, becas it had the MONTALE written in small font a bit stretched and had the 100ml and 3.3floz size description at the lower end. @jays786 am I right about this?

The test was good in terms of how I felt, longevity, sillage. Will buy in couple of days when I am sure about the version thing

keshweannair
keshweannair

Montale Black Aoud..

Top Notes : Black Taifi Rose.
Middle Notes : Incense.
Base Notes : Aoud.

Works best in cold places, avoid hot and humid areas once you spray this juice on your skin.

Fragrance : 6/10
Sillage : 6/10
Overall : 7/10

Pretty potent stuff here.

Vlud
Vlud

Very dark, gothic, mysterious with a vampiric unique vibe. Red rose wrapped up in black latex. Masterpiece!
Performance is beast mode.

jays786

Anyone thinking of buying black aoud??? Don't buy the international version... it's very weak watered down... buy the Paris version 100% better thanks.

esteban.vihaio
esteban.vihaio

Where is the oud? There is a prominent and strong rose note surrounded with pepper. Quite boring and linear throughout, nothing special.
I really do not get the hype and also not the sillage and longevity everyone is raving about.
This is medicine and bug spray crossed and filled into a bottle. A big pass for me.

landshark321
landshark321

Montale Black Aoud's title is appropriate, as this immediately conjures a dark oud, contra the more red pepper oud of Red Aoud, which I've tried previously. Rose and patchouli round out the eponymous note, creating a dark, heavy concoction that seems ideal for use on winter nights, given its density and seriousness. I found the patchouli more significant in the opening and the rose more significant in the dry down, which is the opposite of what I'd expected between the two. Nonetheless, this yields a softer, creamier dry down that does make the fragrance lean unisex, even, though I'm assuming this is marketed to men primarily.

Like Red Aoud, projection and longevity are very strong. Montales aren't in the highest price echelon but it's good that for nonetheless higher pricing ($120 / 50ml, $170 / 100ml), an EDP delivers in a powerful way. I'm starting to become convinced that Montale frags are pretty worthwhile, so I'm eager to try more, though more ideally when the temperature drops.

7 out of 10

DeathStroke92
DeathStroke92

9.4 / 10

You will get complimented wearing this. Period.

Sillage - Strong, not over whelming but in a respectable way..
Longevity- me naturally i am a little under average when it comes to sustaining smells on my skin but it still held up decently. for a normal person it will last a consderable amount of time on you.

Good points about this perfume is that i feel the rose (especially the rose) and the musk really make it. Sophisticated and dark, you should be complimented wearing this. its not for gymwear or for a young adult in sportswear. Its a boss mode perfume, its like a poisonous butterfly that floats around the room.. however it lingers with it a dark, earthy scent that most should compliment.

Bad points is nil. :P or for me there isnt any. maybe some people might not like the rose smell? but its a pretty sound, tight and sophisticated perfume. Its also a simple smell some people might not like that.. i do however. reason i say simple is not in a way as if a bunch of chimpanzees have been invovled with its design but as how there arent to many notes.

Age group and location - im gonna say 25+ or anyone who has a powerful nature. i dont vision a young, scrawny man wearing this.

buy this perfume if you are interested, im hard to satisfy but this ticked all my boxes.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

The first thing I said when I heard for the first time this perfume was: Wow! that power !! :D opening is very strong, with the Aoud .. but the magic on you will after about 20 minutes .. when you join other considerable comes in moss with the mandarin and pink form something unique , indescribable ... is the 2nd perfume that feel of home Montale * and I must say that makes perfumes highly unique, long-evolving complex! (never give a hasty opinion on Montale perfumes) and especially surprised, amazed me how this scent! It 'a very complex fragrance, really Gothik/Dark/Romantic fragrance. The sillage is very strong, the longevity takes 10 + hours on me! A really nice scent, that deserves to get in my collection! I do not know if it will become one of my favorites, but it's great! Council for the winter, the cold days! ;)

Sillage: 9.5/10

Overall: 9.5/10

king_basim

ولكنه كاتم وقد لايعجب البعض

لذلك يجب تجربته قبل الشراء

thegreat787
thegreat787

This stuff is great, I just tested sample and I can say first few minutes are had to pass with strong oud, once you pass 15 minsutes or so.. then you can smell the magic. firstI got strong oud with kind little sweetness to it.
After 30 minutes I got beautiful rose, this rose done so beautiful that can be unisex without a thought.
I love it and I am 100 thinking to get a bottle soon and I will also recommand to test oud Safran..to see how your skin play with it.

Also performance is very good on my skin.

Tigraa444
Tigraa444

I totally agree, this is definitely UNISEX!

At first, I was ready to scrub it off but I'm glad I waited. It went from 0 to 10, a complete turnaround.

Its elegant, powerful, mysterious, and dangerous. The best exotic woody-rose smell ever. Definitely makes a statement.

sebadancer
sebadancer

This stuff awesome.
Deep mysterious dark and bright.
I got more compliments in 3 days than I get in a year!
Masculine, beast projection and unbelievable lasting power.

gatoburi
gatoburi

After the initial, suffocating, medicinal blast, there came a delicious whiff of ... honey ? Am I the only one who gets honey, creamy, edible honey from this ? I saw below here another reviewer speaking of Turkish Delight, yes, that's close, but I've got pure honey. If just for this brief phase, it was worth it. The first half hour is like this, oud, honey and patchouli, getting more and more tamed and rich, until the honey transmutes itself into the most beautiful dark red rose, and from there there were at least 20 hours of rose/oud, with labdanum and musk playing second fiddle behind. Projects like the devil. Amazing stuff !

sum888er
sum888er

I was for a long time negative to montale parfums. but I ordered lately a treasure box. for testing mostly. I got black aoud, white aoud and leather aoud. concerning black aoud I tested it for about a month. opening: reminds me of pure oud by kilian. 5 minutes after rose comes out. smells like gold oud and rose oud by kilian. from the 5th minute and then it develops loudly. rose note is always there but covered by synthetic oud and the combination gets darker and darker. it's definitely a men's scent. it's the only creation with rose which a man can wear. very masculin. you will return sniffing your hand all the time. and it is there even after a shower. it's everywhere after using it for long. in your clothes, towels but you can not smell it couse you re used to it.
but....
like all montale parfums I tried I'm not sure if I want to try it in work or out in bars and restaurants. black aoud is very loud and persistent. montale is nice but comes second to hind end perfumes industry. although it is affordable. for me it's just the first step to enter real oud oil smell. next step is Ensar.

AndrzejK

When I bought and wore this perfume for the first time in 2013 I did not like it and could not appreciate it - I found it too thick and feminine.

After almost two years, I got a sample again and wore it during early spring days, Easter time. This time it grew on me, probably after several years of testing and wearing lots of perfumes, I discovered its beauty. It is strong, thick, medicinal oudy rose with patchouli in the beginning but when it settles down on the skin overtime, it is nicely comforting and long-lasting. A very good fragrance.

Bodda89
Bodda89

This was a dislike for a long time i failed to appreciate the beauty behind it as it's strngth tends to draw you back from loving it i recommend the people who don't like it to use a light spray once every month and by time they will start appreciating it

CRIMSON.RED.ROSES.!!!!!!!!

That's what this exudes, what it conveys. The reddest roses on Earth were sacrificed to create this fine fragrance.

When I sprayed it on, there's a strange medicinal scent, like that of a sterile dressing/band-aid, in addition to potent but not overwhelming floral/rose bouquet that just douses you like a ton of rose petals. The medicinal scent doesn't last very long and it's not quite off-putting, but brings a dryness to the overall fragrance. After the dry down, it's all crimson roses.

Any time I noticed my temperature increase, that band-aid aroma would be present again (I am assuming this is the "oud", I am new to these types of fragrances.). This cologne, overall, is an AMAZING example of how a man can smell like flowers and it is somehow still extremely masculine. 7/10 for me, although overall I would admit it is a much higher rated fragrance than that.

Splashfrag12
Splashfrag12

Awesome perfume.!!
Love the combo of rose and oud.
Very versatile and long lasting.
Needs time to develop on your body.
Good for our Indian Climate !!

Cheers

TheMan McEssien
TheMan McEssien

Guys, please would you say this cologne is formulated for morning, day or evening periods? Could it be worn to office in the morning (without the "oud" being overbearingly pungent)? I want to buy this cologne right away!

GRAF
GRAF

I tried it, does not deserve its price clearly. It is completely overpriced bulgarian rose. Whoever has friends in Bulgaria, just ask them to send you the traditional bulgarian woman's rose scent. They sell it everywhere and is cheap. It is completely the same with some pharmacy or hospital smell in it. The bulgarian women's rose scent is superior and much-much-much cheaper. The same longevity and sillage. Gigantic.

tonileefiore
tonileefiore

Uggggghhh... So, this is my fourth Montale experience and I hate to buck the trend but I just do not get it. I really want to LOVE one of Montale's offerings because I am searching hard for an affordable dark rose fragrance. And I like oud when blended (not as a solo note). Unfortunately, this fragrance is a major no-go for me.

In one word, this fragrance seemed "messy" when applied. Like others, I was curious about Montale's "ouds" and I hoped to experience a few fragrances...try to understand the hype. Like ALL the Montale fragrances I try, the opening of Black Aoud smells like an aldehydic, alcoholic, almost medicinal concoction that literally hurts my nose. Sensing a headache, I feel confused & dizzy...almost sick. I can barely tolerate the development of this fragrance on my skin because for nearly 30 minutes, Black Aoud is all over the place but consistently harsh harsh harsh...LOUD and almost vulgar.

After 20-30 minutes, I detect a bit of rose and BOAT LOADS of patchouli (which I really dislike as a primary note). As others have noted, Black Aoud is a loud, over-whelming, synthetic rose-oud fragrance that is not dark, rich, complex or mysterious. Resinous patchouli...that's about it. Pretty linear in the end with little development and no complexity.

But unlike the other Montale fragrances I tried, the longevity on Black Aoud is strong and silage is pretty high. Hate to say this but I had to scrub, eventually shower and wash all my clothing. And still, this fragrance persisted.

The house of Montale and I do not get along. This is another definite pass.

nemorino
nemorino

Am I the only one to be skeptical about this so called " niche" brand?

Here is what I think....there is nothing artistic about this brand, they make linear fat very loud and artificial fragrances. This has nothing to do with the indepandent nose who creates from scratsh his own brand while he or her has something to say with fragrances...
This is a big multinational that has analyzed the market and saw that there is some money to grab in the "niche segment".

It is a disgrace to see the "fragrance community" jump on it and even creating this hype..

PS: .this also goes for that other so called "niche " brand MANCERA

Never the less, Black Aoud is a decent scene and to me it is the best what they have produced.

deadidol
deadidol

Montale’s entire existence is basically structured upon their ability to create a hundred or so variants of their house aesthetic — a crass take on Eastern perfumes that are well balanced, but tend to smell dodgy. The archetype for their success seems to be built on a blueprint that sits somewhere between White and Black Aoud. Black Aoud plays the standard Montale hand of rubbery saffron, spices, a woody-ambery base, and “rose," but in Black Aoud the focus in shifted more toward the rose that dominates much of the scent. This one is, first and foremost, and bitter rose. It’s green and a bit stemmy, and it’s undercut by saffron and spice. And that’s really all Black Aoud is. The usual woody base is there, cranked up to comedic levels, and it’s synthetic as all hell. Like the rest of Montale’s Aoud scents, there’s no oud in it — just a synthetic replacer that does the job perfectly well, but doesn’t smell much like oud. It’s really the model for everything that Montale does: vulgar and trashy, but dramatic, characterful, and somehow likable. It might smell cartoonish, and it’d be hard to pull it off tastefully (extremely low doses?), but it does what it sets out to do and makes no apologies along the way. It’s sort of the olfactory equivalent of standing in the middle of a public space and screaming “Look at me! Look at me! Everybody look at me!” over and over. You have to love rose to enjoy this one—well, rose chemicals at least.

michael.j
michael.j

@jays786 Just to echo what others have said, I too had a moment of panic (read rage) when I got my first bottle of Montale and it wasn't full. I actually poured it out and measured it just to reassure myself. lol

jays786

Thanks for the 2 below reply feeling a lot better now after doing some research but this black aoud is absolutely gorgeous strong but I keep smelling my arm can't stop... I love this fragrance it's just beautiful thanks once again for replying

pravda48
pravda48

@below: no they don't come full. I actually looked up what the bottle was supposed to weigh in grams, and mine was correct even though it felt far from full. Rest easy! =)

jays786

Just a quick question if anybody knows I bought montale black aoud 100ml but its not full to the top? I know the bottle is light weight and stuff but when I shake the bottle its only half or three quarters full is that normal???

psebi101
psebi101

This is one of the best of Montale offerings. Overall it has that Montale DNA and reminiscent of others in the line, but this one is better blended. It's simple but interesting; the dark rose paired with pungent oud is what it's all about from the start and well into the base, because the opening and the heart doesn't change much. The rose loses it's power with time, but the oud doesn't until very late, reversing the proportions of the rose/oud scent to the oud/rose. The longevity is very good and the projection is medium (I suppose the current formula is toned down a bit, because it's not a nuclear bomb as the older reviews are stating, but the performance is still good). In the last hours, when it has become a skin scent, it's softer, mainly a musky patchouli scent with just a touch of oud.

Projection: 8/10

Oudy
Oudy

To me, rose intensive perfume is always going to be feminine. I'm not sure why this is labeled for men. I guess it's all in what you like, really.

Sharp and dare I say almost...metallic... rose opening. I don't get any oud at all. Just rose. And the metallic bit is almost like the container it comes in. An almost aluminium quality. It's really dense and chewy and delicious. Like Turkish delight. And like Turkish Delight, you can only take so much. My fiancé just walked into the room and asked me what I was wearing and told me she could smell it in the kitchen...about 25 feet away. Of the three Montales Ive tried in the last two days, I would have to say that Dark Oud is my favorite by far...Cuir d'Arabie second, and this is a distant third. The oud starts to make an appearance after about 20 minutes to my nose...it also starts getting a little spicy as well. It's just so dominated by rose that my freshman nose is having a hard time picking out anything else. Amazing quality juice, but ultimately for me it's just to much cloying rose. Bordering on nauseous. I realise I'm in the minority here, and once again it's all in what you like...

I'm extremely glad that I've tried the house of Montale and can't wait to sample a few more.

Scent 6/10....8/10 after it's been on the skin for several hours. The rose fades and melds into something spicy and jammy and woody. So much nicer after the rose fades. It's still there, just not nuclear.
Projection 12/10
Fortitude 10/10...lasts forever...three sprays at 12:00 and it's now 9 hours later and it's still radiating off me like most perfumes freshly sprayed.

Knightofwands
Knightofwands

Great scent. Powerful, yet refined. Amazing projection, longevity and sillage. Unfortunately, my wife hates it!!!

lovetribe
lovetribe

incredible,the best rose scent!!!!!

Durar
Durar

I don't care if this is for men; I still LOVE IT, and I'll still wear it!

Labaloo
Labaloo

It's nice- especially if you aren't acquainted with all of the less-expensive middle-eastern attars available out there that have this same rose-oudh theme, but gosh... save your money and compare your sample against things like Nabeel 'Touch Me' or Swiss Arabian's 'Mukhalat Malaki' before splurging, ok? I think this fragrance is really overhyped- beautiful packaging, and nice composition, yes, but you're paying more for the Montale name.

EDIT: Although... there is one note that I'm noticing now that sets 'Black Aoud' apart (and isn't listed above): black pepper.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

An excellent combo oud / rose.
Black Aoud opens with a cloud of timely and very potent medicinal oud, the counterbalance is the touch of rose, which tries to calm or loops to this dark cloud with its floral aspect bitter at the same time clean and romantic.
Becomes a smoky resinous earthy aroma in its drying with a soft semi powdery vibe, the touch of patchouly is a camphor and that blends well with the combo.
A must for those who enjoy the atomic bomb with that combination.

JeanMaurice

Another house who is used to make strong perfumes and now diluted ones. Again, I won't buy from them anymore. Also a poor consumers service.

mindphaser
mindphaser

i do love rose ouds, but this is one of my favorites. to sum up this frag, it is the imagined fantasy smell of an ominous black rose. it is a shadow cast over a rose garden. it is a razorblade slicing a rose apart. it is morticia addams cutting off the rose heads.

it opens with a metallic, sharp oud. clean, sterile, clinical. on skin, the roses start to bloom out of the surgical equipment, and overgrow the hospital, and eventually the entire world.

that is all.

pianist75

it used to be great , now its weak doesnt last more than 3 to 4 hours and projection its good for the first hour or so...then...bye! same with the Aoud Lime...waisting my money! i will never buy MONTALE again!!!!!!!!!!

crypticat
crypticat

A blast of fizzy rose out of the gate. Not for me. Smells like my grandma always enveloped in her various rose perfumes. Yes, it evolves with the dry down, but it's NOT a 'guy' smell in my little world. Bye bye.

reggiev
reggiev

Black Aoud. Montale. Why oh why have Montale reduced the strength of this one time beast of mens fragrances. This once all time favorite of mine would last for 12-18 hours. With very good projection. Making it very good value for the money. Now unfortunately it is not the case. A shot in the foot i think.

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

Pungent is an understatement. This stuff is atomic. Personally I don't see how anyone could leave their home without waiting an hour after applying Black Aoud. It's a concentrated blast of deep rose and aoud that hits like a brick to the face. But if you can brave the initial assault, Black Aoud eventually stops being obnoxious and starts to calm down. Leather and patchouli powder things up a bit, and the deep, pungent rose becomes less aggressive, blending perfectly with its earthy peers. That being said, this just isn't for me. It's much more feminine than unisex in my opinion, but that's also coming from a western nose that isn't used to heavy rose in masculine fragrances. Either way I just think it really takes a certain kind of person to pull this off. Cat Woman maybe?

GianGG
GianGG

Synthetic oud with harsh rose and patchouli.
The fragrance is a little bit rough like many montale but yet interesting.
The fragrance could be better if it was more polished and complexed. But this is a Montale, a house that have released more than 50 fragrances in few years.

rating: 2,5/5

Lana148
Lana148

The most mysterious, magical, dark, delicious rose fragrance with a rich, woody, oud base.

It's sophisticated and alluring, sweet and dry, totally unisex. Oud and labdanum adds exotic feel to it, mandarin orange - zestiness, patchouli and musk - warms it up.

Very harmonious, gorgeous!

Redbeard
Redbeard

Finally got a sample thanks to a B+B/BN member coworker. It's really fascinating and complex, even though it's not my usual type. Starts out as I expected...mostly the cherry cough syrupy oud, fetid but in a good way, and without much rose yet. To compare to other wood scents, there is a uniquely hollow, sonorous resonance of the wood here, very large and more natural than M7. It's also reminiscent of the smell of a wool Pendleton jacket I used to have, when it was soaked with rain. Also very solventy, like an open can of paint or some type of glue while it's still drying. And even though that sounds like I'm bashing it, I'm really not because it's not irritating, just very stark and aloof like those products tend to smell, or the way I'd imagine the varnishing/staining bench of a woodworker's shop to smell.

As it moves toward the base, it reminds me of a less sweet Tommy Bahama, with its peculiarly spiced dirty wood. The rose can only be smelled from far away at first, but very slowly starts to dominate into the base. The rose here is also surpisingly masculine to me, possibly because there aren't any other florals backing it up, only the oud and something that starts to resemble cinnamon...in fact this spice is much stronger than the oud wood by the end. But perhaps most importantly, it never reaches the point of smelling like "standard amber niche frag base", that combination of cola, smoke, baby powder and perfumey flowers that I detest so much. And it also thankfully never gets very sweet, or even very heavy in spite of the sheer density of the scent. I might actually wear this; if Aramis 900 is the one clean rose that I would consider, this would be the one dirty rose.

bouddha bleu
bouddha bleu

A rose in the dark. Rich, mysterious and very erotic fragrance.

Masculine (strong aoud)? Feminine (potent rose)? Unisex? This question will make you dizzy, because there is no simple answer to that. Too complex to be defined, mostly because of its ever changing quality from the opening till the end.

The silage is amazing, and it lasts almost forever, one of the best drydowns I've ever experienced.

For me it creates a vision of a mysterious, a little bit capricious lover from whom you learn that love is not all about romance, but full of a desire and bittersweet longing.

You will love it or hate it, there is no middle way with this one. Newbies, prepare to be seduced. A must try!

mustafaabidali
mustafaabidali

Black Oud is in my top 5 list. People who are not used to "Oud" will probably end up getting a shock on first spray…..but don't worry, give it around 10 to 15 minutes to settle down and then……….The magic of rose comes alive !!!! It has the most amazing smell you will ever encounter and trust me, you will keep want to smell your wrist once applied.

This perfume has given me the highest number of compliments ever…

The sillage is amazing, it's always in the air, the lasting power is beyond belief, probably around 24 hours….

But, don't spray too much otherwise it will give you a heart attack…lol

Black Oud is a MASTER PIECE…..

Vehrkalia
Vehrkalia

This is an amazing scent. It's cold and soft but strong. For a classy man, or a very particular woman. Imho, It's not a classic feminine scent but it works well with woman skin even if it doesn't misks with the skin but stay here, like a glove.
A nice experience. :-)

abmr999
abmr999

A wonderful thing, a lot of companies are trying to imitate it
Rose and Oud very are complementary
Simply to have used this fragrance would you great prestige

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

It doesn't click with my chemistry like a bad reaction I suppose. I let it dry down in a failed attempt to surpass the naphthalene/chemical rose which dominates the entire fragrances. Just because someone splatters shit all over a rose doesn't make it masculine...this fragrance is my least favorite Oud/Rose combo to date.
I prefer Dior Oud Ispahan...it's a much better composition!

Scent 2/10
Longevity 7/10
Projection 7/10

CDGfan
CDGfan

Ok people, FYI. Pierre Montale does not exist.
Montale is split into 2 warring divisions. Montale Paris and Montale International Design. Montale Paris, is owned by a Lebanese Maronite businessman name Pierre Durrani. Montale International Design is owned by Ammar Atmeh, a Palestinian businessman. Atmeh started Montale but Pierre took control of the International division.
They got into a legal battle over ownership in 2012, and their Vendome store abruptly closed. The fragrances are developed in the UAE and mass produced from France.

sherifkus
sherifkus

I am Egyptian living in Egypt, and I am familiar with Aoud & Musk scents.

I got a blind buy for Black Aoud perfume by Montale. I did research and read several reviews about it as well before deciding to have this scent. I knew that the perfumer (Pierre Montale - a frenchman) behind it has long experience in Arab region (e.g KSA). This was a main reason to try arabic scent with french taste.

Overall is a good scent but not very strong as some people describe it. I am used to local Aoud, musk and flower scents that are stronger than Black Montale.

Longevity 7/10.
Sillage 7/10.
Price 6/10 - expensive when compared to arabic perfume producers.
Bottle and box design 10/10.

Overall 7/10 (personal openion).

Grottola
Grottola

Smells a lot better than I remembered. Dark, heady, dank and inky oud and rose combo. Rose and oud, of course, is among the most versatile and popular duos in modern perfumery, Black Aoud in particular seems to be the one fragrance that really kicked off that trend. There's definitely a medicinal smell there, but otherwise, I'd say this fragrance pulls off "Encre Noire" better than Encre Noire itself ever could - like a drop of thick, black ink. It's dark, mystifying, and knows no gender. However, it certainly demands a proper environment, proper time, proper place. I appreciate Black Aoud, it's definitely a challenging and tenacious fragrance, but I really couldn't see myself wearing it; it just doesn't satisfy me. A great work and influential of art, nonetheless!

Capricious Capricorn
Capricious Capricorn

I love fragrance compliments and got one on Black Aoud from the med tech who was drawing blood from me! She kept raving about it and had to write it down and said she'd get it.

Anyway, to me, it's a soft leathery gourment along the lines of L'Artisan Dzing!, just as strong but maybe more well blended. It's not as if I have a favorite 'cause I own both. Oh, and Black Aoud has a sexy dark rose note too to keep things interesting.

GMK
GMK

It should have been called Black Rose Oud , dominating Rose with a little less but equally present Oud companion transforming into musky / creamy woody(oud) and sweet scent , a high quality Oud scent which I really adore especially the dry down, despite of persistent Rose presence.

craniumbash
craniumbash

To me this smells like the cheap extract of rose/rose water readily available all over middle east and the sub continent. What makes is unwanted for me is the fact that this type of rose smell is used to scent dead bodies before burying or it's splashed over the graves by relatives who tend to visit those graves.

The scent is totally dominated by the rose and the other notes barely lift their heads to make their presence known.

The first time I applied this fragrance to my wrist at the shop made my cousin who was standing next to me exclaim that I smell like a dead body being prepared for the burial. I ignored him and later that day no less than 3 of my friends told me the same thing. So for me this is a no go.

People in the western world on the other hand might find this new so they might enjoy it a lot but for people being raised in Iran, Pakistan and India would immediately be reminded of dead bodies, graves, mosques or temples that are often scented with this type of rose.

petyke
petyke

This is really not for me. I can not imagine using this at any situation. Way too intensive and too feminin.So strong that almost made my wife throw up when I used it. I could not literally washed it from my hand and projection is unusual.

fuggerone
fuggerone

the best of montale, dark gothic and sexy...masculine to the top!

cecyben
cecyben

First of all: I am a woman ! Second, I am a big fan of Montale'Perfumes. They are absolutely lovely (all of them), but BLACK AOUD is not only lovely, it is magical, sexy, gorgeous with an extraordinary staying power and crazy sillage AND IT IS FOR WOMEN TOO ! I receive a lot of compliments when I am using it. I LOVE IT TOO MUCH !!! 100/10

DOTMASTER
DOTMASTER

obscure but brilliant, like shadows in the night, magical

blaiseantoine
blaiseantoine

unforgettable masterpiece imho best aoud frag ever created ,rose,musk ,patchouly all together to make arabian world go straight to your skin

Miss_Nicole
Miss_Nicole

I must start off by saying that I adore Black Aoud. There. Onwards to the nuts and bolts.

Black aoud blasts off with a very assulting punch of medicinal oud followed shortly with the ever so complex labdaman giving off a leathery, smokey like vibe. The patchouli adds an earthly , sharp wetness to the composition and plays really nice with the aoud (which is less bug spray at this point). The rose waltzes in and is certainly not little miss dainty. No no. She is much darker and deeper and livens up this aoud, patch, musk party.

As the hours pass this fragrance leaves me off with a heady rose note splashed with oud and the slightest bit of lingering musk.

It's gothic, mysterious, sensual, appealing, cold yet has this inviting and alluring aspect to it. It's definitely not an every day scent for me but one I turn to when I want to feel a little enticing. A little bit goth. A little bit dangerous. Feel ok...not actually am. Heh ;)
Gender- come on. Anyone.
Lasting power- 10 hours
Projection- even those who don't like this particular frag cannot argue this isn't a beast. In my opinion this is also one of the strongest Montales that I've had the pleasure of sniffin' thus far
Sillage- be prepared to leave a heavy dose of scent trail behind you.

I will caution you, easy on the trigger. This one is extremely robust and over doing it will, in my opinion, choke you and everyone around you out and take away from the beauty and appreciation for this fragrance.

So all in all , I always say try a sample. Everyone's opinions differ. It's also not too bad as far as dollars and cents go. If you do end up liking it shop around a bit. You can definitely get it a bit cheaper then retail.

SmellieKat

Black Aoud is meant to be dramatic and dark and almost...sinister. Just a little too much aoud, a bit over the top with rose, and the patchouli, well, that seals the deal. Black Aoud must be worn by a woman (or man) that is confident enough to make a statement about how she smells. Love it or hate it, Black Aoud is the Rodin of perfume. It lasts forever on one's skin and calls up all sorts of complex emotions. Wear it as the piece of art that it is.

Odysseus
Odysseus

How is this "for men"? NOT a masculine scent, not even unisex. The synthetic, nauseating sweet smell of roses lasts and lasts with this one... No, thank you!

MuhannadQahtani
MuhannadQahtani

عطر شتوي بإمتياز... ينفع للمناسبات الكبيرة جدا... ثبات و فوحان خيالي... اشوف انة رجالي اكثر من نسائي لعمر ما فوق العشرين

Rose and patchouli are massive in this and not too my taste at all. It's very intense in the opening and smells almost fizzy if that makes sense?
I couldn't wear this it's really not good, you'd think with Montale's calibre and a name like Black aoud this juice would be great...sadly the word I'd use to describe it is 'industrial' or 'aggressive' in the extreme.
With so many Rose/Oud combos out there why would you get this?
Yuck!

ivo7165
ivo7165

Masterpieace

SmellieKat

Black Aoud is stunning on its own, but sometimes a little...much. However, it is perfect when layered with White Aoud. Together, they bring out the very best in each other.

ZELJO
ZELJO

imagine a small box,you open it very little to little, just to enjoy smoothly whats on, thats my feeling with that extraordinary perfum,a secret box than allows you to discover its sensual scent little by little, making each moment a different thing,rich, strong but delicate,like a golden dream, so sexy and glamurous, made to seduce

Kain
Kain

You know, there are some jokes that are funny only in particular countries. when you say it among your people, they may laugh to death but if you say it in other country they will just stare at you and say ..... so ?! O.o
This fragrance has the same situation!
It's really interesting and exotic fragrance for many folks in US, Europe but if you live in Asia and specially countries like IRAN which I am and countries at the same area, when you wear something like this that mean you smell like the cheapest rose extract that is called "Golab" and you can buy a 1 liter bottle of it for less than $1.
People will make fun of you when you smell like this!
There is a city in IRAN called "Kashan" that is very famous in the world for having very big rose gardens and special rose extract that is exactly the smell of this fragrance!
This rose extract has different uses! mostly they use it in holy shrines and also we use it in our funerals on the body to smell good and also has usage for making local cookies in some cities of my country!
Do I like to smell like a holy shrine or a body before bury?! hell no!
Also oud has a very small role in this fragrance!
All thing that you get is syrupy sweet musky rose for a very long time and only some oud in the background and also patchouli which was the only part that I enjoyed.
And please for god sake don't tell me how oud smell like because I've grown up with smell of oud and rose like every other guy in my country!!
Both projection and longevity is amazing with this!

لطفا با لحن سوگوار خوانده شود
نثار شادی روح مرحوم تازه در گذشته اجماعـــــــا صلوات
سوالهای شب اول قبرُ خوب جواب بده و نکیر و منکرُ سورپرایز کنه صلوات
برای سلامتی وَرثه که سر ارث همدیگه رو پاره نکن صلوات
مختصر و مفید براتون توضیح میدم
یکی فوت کرده و تو مسجد نشستین. دارین فکر میکنین ای بابا اینم رفت که یه دفه یه پسری با یه ظرف گلاب تو یه دستش و چند تا هم قرآن تو دست دیگش میاد جلو و میگه بفرمائید. نمیخواین بردارین ولی میبینین بقیه دارن چپ چپ نگاتون میکنن و از ترس یه دونه قرآن برمیدارین و یه ذره هم گلاب میریزه کف دستتون و میمالین سر و صورت صفا کنه
بوی گلاب میپیچه تو بینی تون و شروع میکنین به قرآنُ خوندن و میرین تو فاز که یه دفه با صدای یه خانمی به خودتون میاین که میگه : ایستگاه بعد عرش
راستش من هر چی زور زدم بوی عود تو این حس نکردم. فقط بوی شیرین گلاب و بس
فقط بعد از 24 ساعت یه ته بوی ضعیف عود میشه حس کرد
به قول رضا مارمولک راه های رسیدن به خدا چند تاست! یکیش مونتال بلک عود

Jrmcquill
Jrmcquill

Something old world exotic about this. Layers of aromas that hit you one by one. First aoud, then classic rose...patchouli and spice ever so often.

This is not an everyday scent. Special occasion with someone you want to be very close with!

Excellent longevity with moderate projection...and not for everyone. A confident woman could easily wear this!

oscar alvarado
oscar alvarado

Si realmente caro, a mí e tardo en llegar más de dos meses, ahora que lo tengo lo guardo como no tienen idea, pero en realidad es caro y no se encuentra en cualquier parte, lo quisiera tener todos pero lastimosamente no se puede por ahora me conformo con ello
10/10 en todo

INJEN
INJEN

This is very good and very strong . Any more than two spray and you are disturbing others . It was the winter in Canada . My wife and I was in the car with the windows up . I did four spray before I step into the car. She could not wait to get out of the car . She loved it but its that strong that it was burning her nose .
chow .

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

Aoudh, Patchouli, Masculine honeyed rose, slightly boozy opening, potent. Heavenly, one of my favorites.
Little goes for miles and miles, and then some. So careful.
I also layered this with Thierry Mugler's A*Men... chocolate Rose. cloud 9. I'd love to save up for a full bottle some day. This is Royalty.

Jillzilla

Wow, in retesting this, I find my opinion has totally changed! Was the weather cold the first time I tested it? Well now it is warm, and I detect much less "automotive repair shop". The rose is more prominent, the fragrance is dark, but it somehow feels refreshing in the heat.

I have now also tested what I assume is the reformulated version, and I have to say I love that one as well. It dries down much more quickly and feels more powdery and soft in the base. Since I am a huge fan of powdery scents, it really works for me.

steve.johnson
steve.johnson

A rich, exotic, dark near cloying (the way sumptuous fabric can be seen as cloying) fragrance. A real love-it-or-hate-it style. I love it - the rose/oud pairing is intoxicating and unusual, and this is definitely not a fragrance for timid folks. If you're used to the fragrance counter at the local Macy's for your scents, this will devour you and spit you out.

It's not for everyone, but if you're a rose and/or an oud fan, it's definitely worth at least a sample. I want to see what else this line can do as this is my first experience with them.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * *

Pros: longevity, clarity of the rose note
Cons: linear, a bit synethic

Never have I struggled so much with a fragrance as with Black Aoud. I wanted desperately to love this scent, so much so that my bias interfered with my nose. After 3 wearings, I still couldn't tell if I liked it or not.

Now, after about 10 wearings, I am finally beginning to form an *honest* impression of Black Aoud.

First, the obvious: this is potent stuff. Black Aoud has the some of strongest projection and longevity I have ever encountered in a fragrance.

It opens with a frozen clang of slightly sour synthetic rose, supported by aoud and perhaps a hint of underlying medicinal (read: "band-aid") oud.

And then....well, nothing happens really. Black Aoud does not evolve. It simply "is." I could detect virtually no change from opening to heart to base. Unfortunately, such familiarity bred contempt. Tthe longer the sour rose remained on my skin, the more it began to resemble bug spray.

Sillage: 5/5

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Im not really impressed with this one either. Maybe Montales aren't good on my skin. On the opening I get Oud, Rose, and a little Patchouli. After 30 minutes it is nothing but oud and rose. Ill have to try this one again.

steve0580
steve0580

Black Aoud is appropriately named, because it smells dark, smoky and resinous with the floral note mostly obscured in the opening. As it dries down, the floral note comes out more but is still somewhat concealed by the smoky resin.

It has the most strength of any Montale offering that I've come in contact with and I can say that this is one of the few fragrances where one spray is enough and two - maximum, if you're wearing it out.

If you're wearing this in close quarters, like an office environment, even half a spray may be too much. A couple of dabs with a fingertip is more than enough. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend wearing this to the office at all.

This scent definitely has a more masculine edge to it, although many women seem to like it.

Sillage and Longevity are unrivaled

wahaboooh
wahaboooh

can i wear it at summer ? and if it yes ..day or night ?

LaSimba
LaSimba

To me it smells almost exactly to Agent Provocateur original, rose, patchouli and woody accords are very prominent

aphexacid
aphexacid

ALWAYS sample Montale first. Don't ever blind buy.

---------

EDIT: Sept. 16, 2013

My opinion of this has totally changed. I am in love with this now.

I will need to re review it based on my current opinion of it.

However my original opening statement still holds true!

johnnybr0801
johnnybr0801

Ok, so imagine that you've got your timemachine and its set to go. For some reason you end up in a french rose garden, after rain from the 18th century...you feel the intense rose everywhere and the smell of oud melting into eachother. This is what I feel. Amazing scent but I am not sure that I could wear this. I can imagine this on me maybe on a nice wedding or something very ceremonial. But still I love the creation and maybe with time I will find occasions to wear!
----EDITED---
After few months of sampling it, I have to admit that the "hype" around this frag is not without reason...I get only nice compliments however its not my favorite fragrance. Still I have to say that I really enjoy wearing it, even for work (lightly applied!), this gives an extra confidence for meetings and I feel like Im in control! Wherever you enter people will notice that the Sultan is back! :) So basically what Im trying to say is that either you love or hate it, but once you got hooked on this one there is no escape from the dark side of the rose...:) If you find it too strong, I really suggest to try Lyric Man from Amouage: I love that too and that represent another concept of the masculine rose, more reach and easy to wear!

market square hero
market square hero

The images this fragrance conjures up for me are:

Gothic, castles, dungeons and vampires (not the twilight kind of vampire mind you, more the Gary Oldman as Dracula kind).

The harsh medicinal anti-septic opening, which I think is great, is only fleeting before it settles down, on me anyway, into a deep and dark delicious rose.

Absolutley wonderful.

pjd1234
pjd1234

my first review very unique and sensual from top to buttom love it my first montale as well. this is not your typical scent when i first smell it all i can say is wow amazing. top notes like everyone else i smell this medicinal aroma then scent settles down rose and aoud kicks in and last for a long time dry down rose is still there and prominant throughout with aoud, musk and patchouli in the backroud amazing drydown definitely unisex last 12 hours plus, one spray is enough 2 spray max im begining to be a montale fan will try their other scents soon.
longevity 10/10
sillage 10/10
uniqueness 10/10
overall smell 10/10
price vs quality 10/10 reasonable you get what you paid for
versatility cold weather night/day, special occasions, signiture scent.

jht4060
jht4060

I could not get past what seemed to my nose to be a massive overdose of rose in the middle, or at least an overdose given that I was expecting a dark oud woody sort of scent. Admittedly I seem to be hypersensitive to rose - when it is a major note it smells like a suffocating blanket of the schmaltzy side of femininity. Maybe this is some childhood association, but if so I can't place it.

zimmer73
zimmer73

I love the drydown here, and really wish I could feel that distinct fragrance from the first spray. When I spray it on it feels a bit heavy on the oud, but bearable. The rose comes in after a while, and that is perhaps what I care for the least..
I LOVE sweet fragrances especially with amber, and I think this one really works too, after it has settled on my skin.
Alien is one of my favourite fragrances, and it stays on forever on me..I really expected this one to last a long time, but today I have sprayed five times throughout the day, just to feel the fragrance a bit myself. And I am usually afraid of "stinking", and torturing others with perfume that hits hard.
I see others feel this fragrance for hours, using just a tiny amount. Lucky for them..

redfive
redfive

Not longlasting and doesn't smell of roses? I use a "half" spray (or as little as I can apply) and testing this, have found it can last at least 18 hrs. Further, I live in Minnesota, and that was in the winter and I did not apply to clothing.
This is truly a "Dark" scent, almost vampire gothic. The Rose is pretty authentic, but not at all soft due to the presence of oud. It is also not for the cologne intravert--you will be noticed.
I don't think it is all that versatile, however. It can be formal, and I have used it for one funeral--forget about work with this one.
When projection and longevity is a must, this is a great value; 1/2 to 1 spray on the chest will probably be sufficient.

akc
akc

in Turkey, You can supply Montale Paris and Mancera Paris Fragrances at Harvey Nichols and Brandroom Shops

mconfra
mconfra

I got a sample and found it very feminine and too rose, I do not like the smell, too cloying, somewhat agree with "iam2sexy4uris".
have a black Aoud sample of 1.2 ml (or more) decanted, used only one time to swap for any other with the same measure. Europe only, just PM me

PS. Just try before you buy!!!!!!!!!

antfarm
antfarm

This is fantastic and nearly pure oud on me. Not cheesy oud or hermit crabby oud--just pure dark, woody oud. I don't get much rose from this.

It's a suitable perfume to wear when you want annoying people to back off, as it has a bit of a sexy-angry vibe to it (if such a thing was possible).

Black Aoud is a little overpriced and not as longlasting as one would expect. You can find plenty of other ouds (Arabian attars and CPOs) that are more multidimensional. Also attars and CPOs have way more attractive bottles for a fraction of the price.

Lots of patchouli-rose-oud perfumes exist these days, and many of them are much more about rose and patchouli than they are about oud. Montale BLACK AOUD is an exception to the general rule, with just as much oud as rose and patchouli. The combination of the fairly declarative oud note along with the labdanum produces a scent very similar to leather, so this composition is bound to appeal to anyone who likes leather.

I do not find BLACK AOUD overly masculine, and it is certainly wearable by women who like dark leatherish scents laced with roses, so I'd have labeled this creation unisex and marketed it to gals and guys alike. I have seen (at another site) that many women own a bottle of this perfume, and I am not at all surprised.

I imagine that BLACK AOUD would be the perfect scent for a woman working as an undercover agent who uses her powers of feminine persuasion to extract state secrets from her unwitting victims before leaving behind a trace of toxic carnelian lipstick from her farewell kiss.

insolence-guerlain
insolence-guerlain

I find this perfume feminine, rather than masculine.
But in a dark, sensual way with a enormous longivity and silage.
Worth to have at least 50 ml.

AndrzejK

very strong and thick, very rosy with oud; becoming too much feminine. It is not for me - too tiring.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

I decided to give this a try since everyone seems to be falling to the ground over this, and the first 20 minutes I thought well this isn't so bad and I think I might like this Aoud craze thing, but yes there is a but, 20-30 minutes later I suddenly felt extremely depressed then I realized that there is some kind of deadly morgue and hospital mixture smell around me, and to my shock it came from my arm. I thought to my self OMG I know this smell, I often smelled this on other people thinking that they must have some kind of smell problem if they think they smell good, this is the exact smell that always makes me want to faint each time I smell it around me.

The description of the smell is in this exact order - hospital, morgue, dental office.

The worst part of it all is that it's the only perfume that stays and stays and stays and no amount of scrubbing will scrub it off. For me this was the biggest surprise because even the most concentrated perfumes fly off my skin within an hour, but no, not this one, I scrubbed my arm several times and it still smelled like death in the place where I sprayed it.

So if you like to smell like death and hospital, run, no fly to purchase this because this will be exactly what you'll be getting with Black Aoud.

But my personal advice please don't wear this in public because it's difficult for other people such as my self to smell this.

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

ok here we go... Today was my very first experience of this scent 'hitching a ride' on my neck. The tiniest drop, (from a tester) yep, really small was placed on my neck & wrists. Now, im a girl, and at first dab I thought omg, this is too smoke-fire-arabic too masculine, but instead of wiping off I reassured myself and ran out of the door, about my day. It loved my day.. and Montale loved its! At first it comes on strong, very smokey, almost 'burnt' but then it settles, and THATS when its beauty presents itself. A gentle floral shows up, sure, still smoking, but not acidy smoke. smoking black rose, turkish rose yes, that sums it up I then got lots and lots of 'what are you wearing?' from men and women Its a shame 90% hadn't heard of Montale, when I said its niche... but, isnt that nice too? not to follow the masses? As they all float about wearing their DG The One and Paco Millionaire? I know what I would select over that lot. Montale everytime!!! Now evening, it is still bubbling away just as it was seven hours earlier. I don't want to shower it off! this frag is summed up this way - imagine a stunning woman. she walks towards you, softly kiss you, and then throws a drink in your face

M3oman
M3oman

Black Aoud is my favourite oud spray perfume.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

Reminds me of the wonderful Islamic Oils I used to buy on the streets of NYC during the 80's.

Montale took an attar idea and bottled it.

Not bad since you can't find these quality oils anymore on the streets but nothing that drives me to pay Montale prices.

If you weren't around during the 80's you will find this interesting. If you were around during the 80's you will find this redundant.

Top notch quality in this modern era of slop but the idea is far from original.

Update: Comparing it to Dark Oud this loses big time. Why ? This is medicinal harsh and EXTREMELY SOAPY. Dark Oud is the one you want if this appeals to you.

nasser8383
nasser8383

last for long time its true
Smell is bad cant give it more than 5/10
true its powerful perfume but not recommended

mendwillie
mendwillie

No thought not very interesting, I found a bit generic, expected something more innovative. My sister was messing me because she said I smelled like a dead flower, and I do not particularly thought not so bad. But expect something more chic.

I classify this:
Smell: 6,5/10
Projection: 8,5/10

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

exquisite.
i always think my first perfume memory was of my grandmother's white shoulders...
in reality it was a little sterling silver pendant with what appeared to be bloodstones decorating it.
a persian bahai had given it to my mother and it was filled with perfume.
very thick, yellow resin to be precise.
it was allegedly rose, but smelling this, i realize it was a rose/aoud attar.
i wondered what all the fuss was about with oud.
now i get it.
i remember being little and stealing that pendant and sitting by myself in the rec room by the bookcase smelling this.
i was repulsed and fascinated.
now i am simply home.

timeazsofia
timeazsofia

When I first smelled it, was shocking (like any other people) by oud, but in a good way. It was a bit medicine, but really interesting. Then came the roses, a lot of dark red, almost black roses!
Longevity is amazing, the drydown comes after 10-12 hours! In the drydown there are patchouli, which makes the perfume - suprisingly - fresh. One moment I feel deep roses with musk, then deep, fresh roses with pathouli.

This is my all time favorite niche fragrance!

I am in love with this perfume! It's always make me more confident and cheerful, and I have never had any perfume such strong as Black Aoud. I adore it!

Zenith
Zenith

I got a small sample of this fragrance and based on so many of these reviews I was dead set of experiencing it. I opened the little atomiser and was greeted by a sickly sweet medicinal odour, and I quickly screwed the cap back on in alarm. Then I sprayed it on

Magnificent, and despite what a lot of comments say, not especially masculine. Although I do think I like the oud in this, it was the rose that got me. I have tried many rose fragrances and it took this one to grab me by the nose hairs and shout that THIS is what a rose smells like! Remember!? A lovely crisp fresh rose from the garden. The projection is good, but not overbearing, and I can still smell it on a shirt I wore three days ago, so it is extremely long lasting.

I will certainly enjoy this one, although I think I would prefer to smell this on a woman

pianist75

This is no kaka maka perfume! You wearing what?? Gucci? MucchI? ArmanI ? Get out of my way! I'm coming and boy..believe me your whole neighborhood will know you are out of house and heading to hunt! Build for the kill ! That's this wild specimen called - Black aoud!

Jillzilla

While I can appreciate this scent, and enjoy testing it from my little sample vial labeled "Black Aoud extra concentrated", I'm still not sure I like it on my own skin. It opens with greasy, carcinogenic notes that smell like they originated in an automotive repair shop. About an hour later the scent transitions from "rubber tires and axle grease" to "black leather motorcycle jacket". Then 3 hours after that, I smell woody, deep, masculine rose. Now, another 2 hours later I am detecting soft leather and a hint of rose, and the fragrance seems to finally be petering out on my skin. So, 6 hours of longevity from three little dabs off my sample vial is pretty impressive!! But I don't think I have the right chemistry for Black Aoud because the opening notes smell toxic on me.

unwrittencode
unwrittencode

Imagine its a very cold winter evening and you decide to go out on date/dinner/movies/clubbing etc, you put on your top notch clothes, shoes, look good and now you wanna put on a cologne that everyone can smell even if it is -50 outside then look no further. Black Aoud is the only that can shut up all other fragrance around you and makes you look prominent and it will get you a lot of compliments and attention.
Projection - 10/10
Sillage - 10/10
Longevity - 20/10 ( 20 plus hours )

Possum-Pie
Possum-Pie

I love Montale fragrances but one criticism I'v heard is that "they all smell alike". This is reference to the Rose note found in many. Black Aoud and Louban are the best of the similar rose fragrances in my opinion. Black Aoud is a dusty brooding rose. I picture a haunted house on a dark hill, inside is a room full of old incense and dried pressed roses. Great longevity and very good sillage.

damnedinblack
damnedinblack

For me this is a very heady blend of leather, musk, roses, and a slight medicinal smell... almost intoxicating.

Heavy sillage, great staying power.

Definitely a follow me to the bedroom scent. However, now that I'm married I feel almost vulgar wearing it out in public since I've had men tell me when I've worn this is I smell like a very expensive head to toe leather clad dominatrix.

If I could describe Black Oud in a single scene I'd say it's a whip cracking in a boudoir.

Pace,MioDolceCuore
Pace,MioDolceCuore

Black Aoud to me is a perfect example of how much other people's impressions won't be your own.

For example, I utterly ADORE Montale's Aoud Cuir d’Arabie, yet just about everyone seemed to prefer Black Aoud to Aoud Cuir d’Arabie.

Black Aoud is way too medicinal for me and the rose in it literally smells like my mom's bathroom potpourri spray. That is not how I envisioned this.

Sillage is DA BOMB and longevity - I can't even scrub it off. Incredible lasting power.
On the right person this would be incredible and enslaving - but I'm not that person, I'm afraid.

Garyjames
Garyjames

Black Oud and I met on the Internet. She seemed really cool and I liked her profile pic and I read great things about her. I was sure she and I would get along smashingly. Sadly, she neglected to tell me that she was THAT kind of oud. You know, slightly sour and medicinal. She tried to hide that big oud booty of hers with a matronly rose note, but I just couldn't get around it. I met her a few times but finally had to come to terms with the fact that I was just not into it. From what I hear she's with someone else now who really appreciates her. Good for you black oud. I wish you only happiness.

vergil_s
vergil_s

من خیلی طرفدار عطر های پایه اود نیستم اما این کار ولقعا خوشبو بود.
ترکیب اود و مشک ورز خیلی دلنشینه.
با گذشت زمان روی پوست فوق العاده بهتر میشه.
ماندگاری و پخش بوی خیلی خوبیم داره.
...........................................
اما به نظرم یکم زنانه بود بوش

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

My first impression:

I'm not sure that this was described earlier as the smell of the hospital, but really that's the impression I got. I felt a vaccination room. very strange.

nada
nada

there is no real oud there:(
yes, it is nice, it has something trying to pretend to be oud with roses - but it is not oud nor roses either. If you want one you should try Rose Oud by Kilian, really, please try it!

I think it is just cheeper version of proper ouds. Maybe I should try and smell another time, not after I just had Amouage attar all over me.

ahsansn
ahsansn

Surrati's Black Aoud perfume oil, is a copy of Montale's. I recommend it highly as for me the perfume oil version is a lot more complex, deep, refreshing and longer lasting than Montale's EDP, and it's phenomenally lower in price than this bad boy.

Also the perfume oil version is phenomenal to layer, I use that as the base for Amouage Jubilation XXV, and it turns heads. People always lean in to ask what you're wearing, as they are aroused by the blanket of roses from Black Aoud and the vanilla/cinnamon from the Jubilation XXV.

Oh and I also use the Surrati's version as a base for Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, and holy Allah, Muhammad, Buddha, Jesus does it smell like a seductive poison.

dylan.kohout
dylan.kohout

Opens with a strong, slightly medicinal oud, and a slight bugspray smell (I believe this is due to the synthetic rose/oud combo). After about a minute or so, the oud falls to the background and the (synthetic) rose makes it's way to center stage. Patchouli also starts to become more apparent, but stays right behind the rose almost seeming to give it some fortification. After about 20 minutes, the oud is almost undetectable, and this fragrance becomes a rose BOMB!!!! This fragrance is LOUD, and doing any more than two sprays would be too much. This fragrance lasts days on skin, and months on clothes. If anyone is complaining about having dry skin, and how fragrances don't last on them (I fall into this category), look no further than Black Aoud. I like this fragrance, however, I do have some words of caution; do not apply this on the front of your neck (this will choke you out), and do not apply this directly on clothing (I have a shirt that still smells like Black Aoud after being washed countless times), don't buy this fragrance expecting it to be natural smelling (the rose and oud are extremely synthetic and may be headache enducing to many people around you.

My rating (out of 5)

Scent: 2, for people who like a spicy, dark, synthetic rose, this is for you.

Longevity: 5, this stuff LASTS FOREVER

Projection: 5, this stuff is a BEAST and will clear a crowd

Versatility: 2, not an everyday fragrance. This is for the cooler months and chilly nights. Although, I think this would be perfect for clubbing and going out.

Uniquenss: 5, You will not smell this on anyone, unless if you run into niche-heads or those who are into fragrance.

Overall rating: 3.8, if you're looking for a loud, unique fragrance, look no further. Although, this may not be for everyone, as it is a rose based fragrance; a very synthetic one at that.

Jiza
Jiza

This is really good parfum, unfortunatelly because of the tons of rose, I think a bit feminine, but nice.

pipernigrum
pipernigrum

The best niche perfume on the globe. Beautiful!!! I love it very much! I can't live without this fragrance. When i wear it, i'm receiving many many compliments, and people often ask me, what parfume is on me.:-)

jrichart
jrichart

En una frase ''Período Gótico en un perfume'' esta es la mejor frase que puede ser deducida o resumida tras oler Black Aoud de Montale. Ya que, el binomio de notas predominante mayoritariamente en Black Aoud es la madera de aoud y la rosa que en mi humilde opinión son dos elementos naturales de fragancias oscuras, yo no soy un documentado absoluto en el mundo de la perfumería pero si he probado algunas fragancias de madera de aoud y se me hace un olor un tanto oscuro, vease Epic Man de Amouage, Habit Rouge edp o el famoso M7 de YSL, todas estas fragancias son un tanto ópacas u oscuras. En definitiva una fragancia que pone en bandeja un romanticismo mirado desde otra perspectiva. Black Aoud no evoca en su aroma un olor romantico convencional como si lo evocan fragancias tan románticas e incluso impresionistas como son Apres L'Ondee y L'Heure Bleue de Guerlain. Black Aoud, evoca en mi humilde imaginación un romanticismo melancólico-adolescente-juvenil. En resumen, recomiendo esta fragancia tanto a hombres y mujeres que tengan un carácter reflexivo, melancólico y nostálgico, rango de edad de 13 a 40 años, ocasiones románticas únicamente o como excepción formales y estación preferiblemente Otoño-Invierno o como excepción también noches primaverales.

Akahina
Akahina

I bought this about 6 months ago directly from Montale in Paris. And yes, I got extra concentration. So this grandiose fragrance is even stronger! And..I love it. One spray, maybe two is all I will ever need to smell wonderful.

For me this is a dark and mysterious rose scent complemented by the Aoud. A deep earthy patchouli brings down the rose and integrates well with the Aoud. After several hours the musk adds its sweet presence to the blend with a hint of labdanum. All these together create an aura of intrigue which is both heady and very masculine, although a woman can definately wear this too.

Silage is amazing on this and longevity is also phenomenal lasting over 12 hours. Lasts forever on clothing. Certainly one of the best if not the best from Montale.

Definately best in the cooler months but I can also see wearing this clubbing in the summer, but go light on the trigger at all times or even decant some and dab on a little bit. Nobody will miss smelling this fragrance and you don't want to kill them by wearing 6 sprays! This one will not disappoint unless you over apply.

Kamicha
Kamicha

In my opinion - not remotely sexy - and not difficult at all when not used with heavy hand.

The opening is just dark velvety rose and dry, aromatic oud in almost abstractly tight composition. On the skin it slowly warms and reveals some other notes, which really are in supporting cast on this. But I especially love how a hint of fruit aromas and some musk emerge on the skin and nicely and gradually round the olfactory experience of Black Aoud.

For me, this is solitary, introverted fragrance. Uncompromized, clean (not soapy) and beautiful. It has a very clearing and calming effect on my mind.

And completely unisex. Precious wood and velvety rose.

Nettle
Nettle

What a surprise - I never would have thought I would fall for a rose scent. So original, so sensual, a bit daring. I have not plucked up the courage to try this on myself, but when my husband wears it, it puts me in the mood... Enough said.

Belladonna_dea
Belladonna_dea

At first you may think you won't like this BUT WAIT... it turns into the most sensual warm ambery vanilla rose... it's sex on the body in smell form. I am a woman and wear it. When I do, I feel wrapped in a man's arms. It's warm, sensual, yet beautiful-soft yet strong. I can't get enough. Ancient Arabian kings wore oud perfumes, they are an aphrodisiac. The lingering smell of this perfume is amazing, there are no words.

Kharnak
Kharnak

Musky Rose, Honey. smoky Patchouli, with a curiously RICH, like a concentrated Rose Tea sweetened with Honey instead of plain sugar. Or sticky Honey soaked Rose Tobacco you put in a Hookah pipe. That sweet resinous mustyness is the delicious Agarwood which will stay to the very end of the DryDown. At first i was put off by the "Boozy" opening like a sweet Rose Cognac or berry Brandy, that may be offputting to some.
Granmda's rose soap? Well... objectively it comes off as Unisex and "old", but something about the dry down is just SO.. VERY Masculine here. Precious, rare, Enigmatic, "Royal" to me. This is Royalty. But introverted.... as if i was invited to a Sultan's secluded Opium Den... or snuck into his harem ^^ mmmmmmm I wanna just hug and cling to it and never let go. Projects a mile, lasts over 24hrs and hella strong! the EDP oil lasted me a long time, and i need just the tiniest touch... Lasts even longer if you got Oily skin, and it stays on your clothes. It projects like a deadeye Sniper on a windless day.
I get goosebumps from the DryDown, plays SO well with a guy's body smells. Blends seamlessly. Even plays well with other colognes like my Fav YSL Kouros. Pierre Montale, Artistic Genius.
Update: Blends with Thierry Mugler's A*Men... Chocolate Rose, Seductive Heaven.
(Recommended Song; Abney Park - Sleep Isabella)

Adrien02
Adrien02

alfarom and scorpiosheep I love your reviews! You two have pretty much summed up what I think of Black Aoud in a nutshell! I only get a hint of the orange right at the beginning. Bummer :(

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

Black Aoud is big, rosy, astringently woody, and ever so slightly musky. It's a rose that's been crushed and dried between the pages of an old musty book, taken out, and rubbed between the palms to release the dusty fragrance. Touched with a bit more amber or pure incense, this could be a powerhouse masculine, but as is it's a dark, slightly mysterious scent for either gender. On a woman, it's exotic and sultry. On a man, a touch brooding. Great with dark wool slacks and a tailored leather jacket on a cold night.

JackWest
JackWest

Tried it out for the first time. This is a great scent that everybody should at least try (get samples from luckyscent). Talk about richness and development. It transitions from a rosy, aoud smell to a sexy leathery scent. OMG

beamainguy
beamainguy

I love to wear it with a little dab of Chocolate Greedy, just amazing!!!

kwiatek
kwiatek

First sniff and i think: o my God! That's my Grandmother but every next sniff and couple of wearings i truly love this monster. I have to admit, i like roses and i like aoud. Now i have my 50ml bottle.

Sorry for my english.

longevity till you have a shower 24h after wearing
sillage monster monster monster
scent 10/10

cpk
cpk

Regardless of whether ones likes it or not, you are definitely missing a good thing if you haven't tried it. It is simply bottled perfection. Very sensitive and introverted fragrance but at the same time the ultimate "compliment inducer". Phenomenal longevity.

Ktngrl
Ktngrl

I really wanted to like this as Im a big oud fan and I like a dirty rose composition.I was looking for a new scent for Loved One. I love quirky men's fragrances on myself too.
But it really doesn't work for me.(or him) I get blast of warm rose and bandaid. Then it suggests it's going to morph into sweet rosy wood but an odd musty wet wood suggests making an appearance, but never quiet speaks up..in the end I'm left with just a very bad rose impersonator, who is wearing bandaids. I'm sorry, montale black oud, we cannot be friends.

PS, I would never date a man who smelled like this. Never.

Heverton
Heverton

Black Aoud starts out with a pure medicinal note of Aoud accompanied by rose. Very, very strong! It basically screams to everyone else: AOUD+ROSE!!!!

Through time the Aoud note begins to decay (when talking about Black Aoud, decays = looses 10% of it's power) giving an even more evident space to roses where the fragrance starts to get better on my skin but even with this happening, I still can't enjoy this fragrance. Too overpowering to my nose, and with a lot of roses in it.

Advise: you only need the 20mL bottle of this fragrance. Anything more than that and it will stay in your collection for generations! 1, 2 sprays max and you're done.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Everytime I sample a new Montale I find a new favourite! The description says that this is a masculine fragrance, and whilst the spicy notes make this a great exotic fragrance for men, I think it works well on women too. My skin chemistry picks up the rose, labdanum and orange, which softens the oud overall and makes this both instantly wearable and also very unique. Sillage is moderate and longevity is about 4-5 hours. Black Aoud is almost perfect, I may have to invest in a bottle and up until I tried Montale's perfumes I didn't like oud at all. I've now been converted!

marcos-2011
marcos-2011

THIS PERFUME IS A PHENOMENAL,WHEN I WEAR THAT,ALL THE PEOPLE COME TO ASK WHICH FRAGRANCE IS IT,IT STAYS ON CLOTHES FOR MORE THAN 1 MONTH,IT´S INCREDIBLE,ON MY SKIN IT LASTS ABOUT 12 HOURS.REALLY OPULENT,LONG-LASTING,STUNNING SILLAGE,WOW!

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

It's a cool, foggy night and I've found the rose of my dreams. Rich, deep and dancing with honey-drenched oranges. Warm and opulant. Very inviting. Love how my home smells!

fpih
fpih

Reading the notes and already loving all aoud compositions I've tried so far, I had such high hopes for this one. Alas (or perhaps luckily for my wallet) I can't even stand this. The opening was dark and dry, with the aoud, IMO, refined for europeans, just as indian foods are tamed when served in western restaurants. It was ... ok, I guess. And then an hour or two later, it started to stink like a nail polish remover I actually own. 4 or 5 hours later, I wanted to scrub it, but couldn't stuck as I was in my car.

So far, my vote goes to Red Aoud; more comfy and cosy all around, and for spicy aouds, Al Oudh from l'Artisan.

LaGari
LaGari

Enigmatic, Elegant, Powerful, Passionate, Romantic & Regal, mmm...Omar Sharif.

Black Aoud is an uncomplicated fragrance composed mostly of (pure) Aoud followed by (pure) Rose. Montale has done a great job capturing the quality of an infamous and popular Arabic scent. It smells just like my grandfather!

Sillage : Leaves a trail from Egypt to Morocco.
Projection : It calls to the one you seek.
Longevity : Lasts forever.

Use sparingly.

Carestinus
Carestinus

At last! One of my first blind buys and the first one from the so called niche perfumes. I read for months about it, saved coin by coin and decided to go for both this and Chergui once I knew my best friend would live in Paris for some months. Wow... one in every hand... I couldn't stop going from right to left, right to left... I'm simply astonished.

I had 1000 reviews of both of them in mind and in this case I feared it might be too strong, too girly because of the rose, too unbearable and having a hard-to-take opening. NOT AT ALL! Of course it all depends on tastes but I'm so surprised this ended up being so sexy, masculine and modern! My first contact to aoud was Fahrenheit Absolute and I've been a fan of that one for months. Now I can add this as an earthier (marvellous patchouli ending), bitter and rather stronger floral-aoud mix.

I may sound contradictory but this isn't actually that strong... it has a powerful SILLAGE (haha I agree with Vincenzo's great review on this), and longevity is ok (it lasts but the first amazing lemony rose becomes a rather linear standard one after some hours...we luckily meet patchouli when it's getting to this point)but it is classy and not invasive. Sometimes a strong sillage doesn't imply a strong scent as in certain powerhouses.

This is a dark trip through opulence, mastery and a perfect wear for those who dare to smell unique and manly without having to fall into the funny bunch of snobbish novelties consumers.

This is possibly the most popular creation in the Montale's range and, honestly, it deserves its status. One of the best masculine rose/oud combos around.

Black Aoud is basically all about rose and oud but it's far from being simplicistic or even bone-dry. Two of the most luxurious elements orchestrated to create an incredibly rich, complex, dark and compelling composition that while resulting extremely elegant, it's everything but mannered or affected. Wild, incisive and assertive just like a Lucio Fontana's painting: several cuts on canvas.

On skin, Black Aoud opens with a "scratchy" mix of extremely medicinal oud and a luxurious rose note that is one of the most interesting thing happened in contemporary perfumery and stays linear for almost 10 hrs (yes). It then starts to evolve introducing patchouli and hints of animalic leather while a resinous / musky base remarks its presence. With its incredible power, it projects for yards and lasts more than 24 hours. One spray on your neck and, believe me, you're done for the whole day. In this context Black Aoud it's not simply a purchase, it's more like an investment as a 100ml bottle is gonna last for your whole life. An head turner...Go ahead.

One more thing: to properly appreciate Black Aoud you have to say YES or NO, BLACK or WHITE as it leaves no room for "MAYBE" or "GREY"...

Rating: 8.5/10

Mim
Mim

What a great perfume! Exotic, unusual, beautiful dark red rose on my skin. Patchouli makes it deep and woody. Aoud is fantastic. I don't get too much of it but it makes this fragrance black and a bit weird. It's longevity is just amazing and sillage is perfect. I use it when I want to make a statement.

adrienn99
adrienn99

well well. this is the 3rd Montale which i try that is supposed to be a combination of roses and aoud. The first two (Aoud Rose Petals and Aoud Damascus) did not make a big impression and myself do not fancy aoud and those smelled very unlike the dark rose I imagined for myself.
no wonder i had no expectations for Black Oud.
then i sprayed and was saying to myself, yeah, this is just another faint rose and aoud but was willing to wait. And the wait was well worth it, the aoud note disappeared after a while (thank God) and gave way to dense and dark sandalwood, labdanum, roses and musk. oh, how much i love this combination (on the notes - i could hardly detect mandarin or patchouli)
I was only wondering - which man would wear this - it became sweet and seducing on me.
There were instances in the drydown when it reminded me of Habanita.
Regarding the sillage and longevity, it might be different when sprayed - but honestly, i asked my friend after a few hours if he can detect it but standing even close he could not. Regarding longevity - it sustained until the end of day but was hardly detectable on my skin after 6 hours.
Could be my skin liked it so much drank it all , haha

heck i wanna sniff this on a man - all goes sweet and rosy on me XD

vdxl
vdxl

A very sensual and dry oudh fragrance, with a hint of masculine rose ( not a full bodied bulgarian rose made for women). It has some notes of leather that add roughness, but it still is a soft and very strong fragrance with high quality ingredients. Probably, the best fragrance I own ( after that follows M7 in old formulation).

Yamba1
Yamba1

This is a dense,rose- aoud scent that certainly makes a statement. The aoud is dense and oily, almost a tarry accord that overrides the rose on me. Yes, this could be unisex, but I would be selective about when to wear this one. Not to accompany the frilly dress, for sure!
After 6 hrs, I am still being delighted by wafts of this rich oriental rose.
It has definitely caught my attention.

Thanks Scorpiosheep for sharing this beauty:)

@ da_markos,

1- Don't forget; Montale bottles CAN BE open with a twist cap!

2 possibilities; first, Montale perfumes are not the same year from year, batch from batch or secondly; maybe online retailers are blending bottles? I am more with that suggestion.

Even my Black Aoud bottle was not exactly like the small decant from Lucky scent.

Last thing; why Aedes de Venustas (store in NYC) did not sell Montale bottles anymore? They told me they had troubles with Montale. Wich troubles?

Finally, Montale perfumes are great, with quality, but they really don't have the same regularity about and in their scent from year to year or stores to stores.

John E Buoy
John E Buoy

Just received a bottle of this.
Wow....this is a seriously strong fragrance. You only need half a squirt of this on the back of the neck and also on the neck. Too much and you'll be suffocating all day.
The staying power of this is looooooong. No problems lasting all day.

Do I like it? Hmmmmm, still deciding that. I am worried it is a bit too feminine on a man.
Question for males: When do you where a fragrance like this?
Too strong for the office. Not good on a hot day. Maybe for evening wear????

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Right up front, this is the only Montale I’ve tried that has a significant oud note in it. It’s strong, it’s woody, it’s resinous, it’s camphorous, it’s citrusy, it has rose and cumin in the background, and it’s absolutely beautiful, drop-dead gorgeous. Soon the rose comes to the fore, a candied, sweet Arabian rose, but still orange-citrusy.

The rose is quickly joined by a whole flock of patchouli molecules in full flight. Anything with patchouli in it is guaranteed to have strong sillage, and Black Aoud is no exception. Although strong, the sillage is not in-your-face or overpowering. It just makes it clear that the scent is there, and that it’s speaking its piece. The patchouli-rose phase lasts for about 6-8 hours, after which it gradually loses the patchouli and once again becomes a slightly woody, musky rose that lasts another 6-8 hours, longer on clothing.

Patchouli is a tricky material to use because there’s a fine line between under- and overdosing, but Black Aoud gets the balance just right. There’s no question - I love Black Aoud and already own a decant.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Opening with a flat greasy turpentine aoud, the introduction to Black Aoud is pretty intense, and frankly, rather stinky.

During develpment, it took two very different paths on my skin and on my husband's. On my skin the rose comes through rather early, dark and gothic and smouldering. It smelt significantly better on me than him despite supposedly being a masculine scent.

On my husband's skin it smelt like turps and the lemonesque flavour that rose sometimes takes on. It took a very long time (2+hrs) to unravel the rose and smell good on him but once it did, it was adequately interesting.

The longevity is excellent, I could still catch occasional resinous rose lurking the next day (even after a shower!) like it had infused with my skin.

I like Black Aoud but I would always choose Juliette's Midnight Oud over this for both price and palatability.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

BA is the strongest scent I have ever smelled.
And one of the best.
If you have survived the first 10-20 minutes after applying a wee amount of it you will be rewarded with a wonderful dark and ultra-balsamic aroma. Imagine honey without the sugar in it. This is what BA smells like for me. Black Aoud is made for dragon-slayers (or for ladies courageous enough to try it for themselves).
BA is breathtakingly extravagant, surely not wearable for many people. Some call it a men´s fragrance, some offer it as a unisex perfume. I am a lady and I love it on myself. Don´t bother about marketing labels. If the scent works great on your skin please wear it :-)
If you have the chance to try BA please test it on your skin. If you spray it on a paper strip it will not fully develop. If BA does not work for you I nevertheless have good news : Montale offers many more wonderful aoud scents :-)

hollycat
hollycat

Black aoud is a fitting name for this scent. When I first apply to my skin its aoud smell is overpowering and very medicinal to my nose. So far all fragrances with aoud smell medicinal to my nose. But soon it mellows to a dark rose scent. The image that comes to my mind is that of a beautiful rose dipped in tar. I didnt realize that this scent wasnt unisex when I ordered it. But on my skin it could be unisex because once it dries down Im left with a softer version of my tar rose description. I dont quite understand it yet, maybe I never will.

lfmars98
lfmars98

All I can say is WOW! I got a little sample bottle from lucky scent. I put a tiny little dab on each wrist around 11am and I'm still getting whiffs of it at 9:45pm. I can just think of how long or strong two sprays of this would be. The oud is very intense the first 30 minutes, then the rose and patchouli come in. The drydown is very milky and soft on my skin. This might be my oud fragrance (testing other oud scents like Red oud). This might cost $210, but you use so little per wearing, you get a lot of bang for your dollar.

Vincenzo
Vincenzo

Maximum opulence.
Black Aoud is a rose opulent, arabic, sensual and meditative at the same time.
At the top notes Black Aoud starts with a powerful shot of oud, this is really an "oud shock"! The oud begins, after about 10 minutes, to bring out a rose beautiful, powerful, strong, pushy and arrogant. A very light and very distant aroma of mandarin adds a bit of brightness to the fragrance. Patchouli makes the scent moist, slightly earthy.
After about half an hour the oud (slightly softened) and rose coexist wisely and in harmony. Over time, the rose becomes more sensual and enriched by distant hints of labdanum and sandalwood.
In the dry down, after any hours, begins to emerge the delicate magic of the forest with moss and mysterious oriental woods with patchouli always present. The fragrance becomes woody. The rose still dominates but, in the meantime, has become more bright and sweet.

Black Aoud is not a very complex fragrance, but its evolution is slow and beautiful. Despite its long evolution, the rose has always the main role. After many hours the rose gradually softens. The base notes (6/7 hours after application) consist of a sweet, gentle, romantic and warm rose: a rose that has lost part of its arrogance and starts to become soft and delicate. The oriental woody notes are always present and fine musks with various arabic resins adds magic to the perfume.

The sillage? Black Aoud IS a sillage.
The longevity/lasting power is excellent.

In conclusion? A perfume powerful, sensual, contemplative. A perfume full of ancient oriental memories, a magic way to arabian dreams, a masterpiece by Pierre Montale.

Vincenzo F.

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

When first I was sent this vial - I was under the impression it was for women – rose, aoud, and it was only when I read the schizzle about this fragrance that I realised it was for Gentlemen (and indeed Highwaymen such as myself). So as a man I resolved to give it a go, with no great compunction. Allow me to now take you on a strange and disconcerting journey….into the Twilight Zone of Black Aoud.

Sitting at home in London on my rich Arabian carpet watching a re-run of The Hunt for Red October, I opened a small tester vial of this elixir and applied a smidgeon of the oily golden nectar to my wrist in a rather nonchalant manner.

My mind was occupied by Sean Connery playing a Russian Submariner captain with a Scottish accent and so I was completely taken by surprise when my senses were shook to their foundations as the agarwood essence drifted and enveloped me in a sensual fragrant silken shroud, the deep scarlet roses offering me a bouquet of sheer intoxication for the soul. Immediately I felt my hippocampus stop tensing and relax, my amygdala soothed by this exotic presence. My mind wandered far from Mr Connery, and I was taken on a day dream to another place and time: Baghdad and the 1001 Arabian Nights – there was Ali Baba and his Forty Thieves, Sinbad, Aladdin, the Genie and his Lamp.

There was I drifting in a patchouli and mandarin dream over the Mosques, Madrassas and Minarets of Baghdad at night under a crescent moon and starry sky – the city below, a thousand years ago, lit up with a luminous labdanum luminescence and a delicate white hue. Aoud filled my nostrils, I tasted the heavy black rose petals on my tongue and my magic carpet set me drifting inexorably into the palatial quarters of the most chaste and virtuous Princess Shehrazad – adorned in the finest silks and gold laying on cushions of velvet and sequins.

I could smell the Aoud and it emboldened me like a lion. The roses and patchouli intoxicated her with their insidious nature as Shehrazad graciously offered me her humus and falafels… and yes, I can confirm - her Maqluba was fit for a prince. The Aoud got stronger and stronger, melding with my superb aromatic armpits. The roses enveloped us in their sublimity.

We fell to the carpet, rolling like thunder in a Black Aoud embrace, each hug and roll so passionate that it was painful, a stabbing like shards of glass into your hands, face, chest and feet.

After one almighty flash of pain, I suddenly came to. I was staring at the ceiling light bulb … the movie The Hunt for Red October had finished, - the end credits quietly rolling. The fridge door was open, its contents spilled as if a struggle had ensued. My Penguin Classics of the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights in tatters.

I found myself lying rolled up in my Arabian carpet, doused in Black Aoud, the tester’s glass shattered, its broken fragments and shards of glass crushed under my bloodied half naked body, smeared in copious amounts of humous.

adele l
adele l

I thought it was unisex too-oops! That said it's very deep, dark and resinous- the dry down reminds me of amouage. It's a little spicy, and the rose is very faint on me- better for a man i think.

da_markos
da_markos

@ JeanMaurice and scenturian

Gentlemen - it's urban legend or autosuggesion with those higher concentration of scent in samples and testers. Think of that - if it were truth 99% of customers were pissed of after buying the scent.
About this scent - it's much better than white oud. this one isn't so medical, so drug scent. i like note of rose. anyway i'm not speciall fan of oud so i will keep trying all oud scents. maybe one day i will find sth that really suits me.

scenturian
scenturian

I fully agree with JeanMaurice, testers r always high concentrated, very long lasting with super sillage.
Not only Montale, other brands r same too.
When I buy a full bottle after testing and loving the samples, I always have a doubt if it is the same scent or not :D

JeanMaurice

New review for this superb scent...

I found it less present, less lasting power and less sillage than first samples I got. I own a full bottle and I think it's not the same stuff, it's like an "eau de toilette" not EDP anymore...

I smell more the patchoully than Aoud-rose combo. It does not smell more than 2-3 hours on me... maybe my nose fatigue? I don't think so. I think samples are more concentrated to "make sell more" full bottle "less intense" thing.

This is sad cause I love this scent.

10/10 (even if the lasting power and sillage is lower now)

mosesbotbol
mosesbotbol

Really magical and unique. Very intriguing and totally unusual. For sure to get noticed and I am really digging the sample I got.

Should've just bought the bottle, but I wasn't sure at the time.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

This is strong, strong, wow! And very Montale-the most famed Montale.Another great blend of French and Arabian tastes offering something positively unusual.

Even if I don't particularly like it, I find it the smoothest heavy and strong woody scent-very masculine, great for people with strong personalities-I can detect the patchouli, and as many of you know, I hate this note-but it's not the soul of this fragrance, so Black Aoud remains hearty, a bit comforting and even elegant without sending me into sneezing fits. I love Attar on my man, but I wouldn't be put off by any gentleman who would apply this in moderation!
Macho men, put away your aquatic colognes, and start trying the Montales-you won't regret it!

JeanMaurice

Yay! I now have my full 100mL bottle of pure joy!

Like cassiano said, if you don't like power and most important LASTING power, go away from this one, please!
BUT, I have to disagree when you are saying that this is an old fashion perfume. In my opinion, it's modern but not anoying like the mass market stuff and all those citrusy-metallic designer crap of the 2000's like Azaro Chrome for example...

Cassiano
Cassiano

Run as fast as you can! What the hell is this??

This one is too strong, too incensed right after applied, that gave me the full sensation of jumping in the time, fast forward, and I am with 70 years old right now. It plays the style: “I am a grandfather, but I don’t give up from my scent to go to the pensioners’ line”.

Of course this scent has a magnificent composition, but it is too much strong and “old” to my personal taste. I would say that it is a classic, but in the bad way.

Unfortunately, just to not run away from the rule, it is almost impossible for me not liking a scent, but when it happens, it lasts for an eternity on my skin.

JeanMaurice

I will have a full 100 mL bottle in 2010 for sure! I love this scent and NO it is not too overpowering and out of control on me. It's just simply amazing!

p.s. I have to sample it again to have a better idea if I'll give a higher note.

That's done... I can only say this: WOW!!!

rebella
rebella

I so wished that Black Aoud would suit me, but it doesn´t. Usually a fan of medical notes in perfumes, but not t´he one in Black Aoud. It isn´t to strong, actually on me, it becomes kind of watery and bland.

The rose smells to harsh, and shortly speaking, it doesn´t at all succeed to please me.

But on my husband... OMG... gorgeus, stunning, rich, full bodied, mystic, magnetic and masculin. Creamy, woody, the redest rose possible, multi-layered, incredible sexy, yummie... I can swear his eyes become blacker when he wears Black Aoud (usually he has the brightest blue eyes). Black Aoud on my husband make me want to play some kind of cruel sheik - naughty harem girl roleplay.

So guys, hellooooo... do you want females to become like butter in your hands? Melting and getting all soft in the knees. Be sure to check Black Aoud out.

One of the sexiest scents ever on my husband anyway.

SandraS
SandraS

I tried this scent after the suggestion of a great SA in Montale Store. I was taken aback at first since its such a shock, but after 30 minutes it turns into a very original fragance. I don't think is decidedly masculine, it can be worn by a women too.

It has an alluring quality, that makes you want to smell it more, get closer to it and try to discover its many secrets, whch this fragrance unfolds one at a time.

As always, as other Montale scents, it has great syllage and staying power.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Wood floral musk: check. Montale quality: check. Oud: check. Unisex: oops. I think this was my problem. This is not for a woman, or, very much not for this woman. i washed this off at the 30 min mark; It wasn't going any where pleasant and I needed to not feel nauseated while I worked. The rest of my sample is going to my father, because it is a step up from the cheap Walmart crap I would always give him at Christmas time. But ladies - pass on this one.

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

Montale Black Aoud is expensive. And it worths. I buy this one in a Montale shop in Paris, about 95Euro for 100ml, with a free gift which is 20ml of any scent in Montale collection. And thanks God, Black Aoud is amazing.In my life, I've never tried any scent that is as wonderful as Black Aoud. And I felt in love with Montale Black Aoud at the first sniff. The first notes open so strong and strange, in a good way. Full of rose, full of labdanum, full of medical aoud. The shapeness fade so fast. And the base notes appear and stay in your mind, on your skin forever. It's deep, dark, rich, seductive, and unique. And you can't refuse its charm. Wonderful!

Starts with deep, rich rose, medicinal Aoud and resinous labdanum. the labdanum fades much too fast for my tastes, leaving a note akin to dusty sandalwood, with that still medicinal Aoud. The rose goes powdery, reminding me of the nice but cheap drugstore perfume Ombre Rose. The Aoud note lasts forever in a faint form, but the rest of the notes go away fairly soon for a fragrance in this price point. Disappointing.

guest_Reem
guest_Reem

I LOVE IT SO MUCH & IT IS UNISEX , I BLEND IT WITH ALIAN PEFUME SOOO SEXY & Mysterious.

jeca

This is my favorite fragrance for men from the Aouds collection. It is not aggressive, an elegant black scent, I smell rose and patchouli, very nice woody notes in the heart and leather!

Aiona
Aiona

The top notes remind me of plastic baby dolls and spoiled uni (sea urchin sushi). Then it dries down into an incense-y, woody scent that reminds me of my late grandmother. It wasn't until I read about the notes which it supposedly contains that I could identify that, yes, there is rose in there. . . somewhere -- buried under the spoiled uni and incense.

jeca

Not so heavy as I expected, anticeptic at the begining, very unusual ;o)

2007

This is really exotic!

2007

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Black Aoud fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Montale Black Aoud, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Aoud by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Aoud by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.