Designers » M » Oriental Woody « Groups

Louban Montale for women and men
dislike

smoky
oud

Louban is an oriental fragrance that combines the notes of Turkish rose with violet leaf, olibanum, oud, musk, sandalwood, patchouli and incense. It is available as 50 ml EDP.

Musk Sandalwood Patchouli Incense Olibanum Rose Agarwood (Oud) Violet Leaf

Royal Saffron
Aoud Shiny

Louban Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Louban opens with sandalwood, vetiver, a shady and dry floral note which may be a generic synthetic rose, then also violet and a base accord of patchouli and resins (I read olibanum but it smells a bit darker and thicker to me, almost like benzoin). Shortly a sort of woody-green chypre, with a dry and camphoraceuos undertone, also with a metallic-soapy feel witnessing again the average-to-low quality of Montale ingredients. Not bad per se, but if you are familiar with '70s and '80s chypres à la Guy Laroche, this smells like a pale, poor and uninspired rip-off of those – probably not on purpose, as I doubt both Mancera and his customers care about (or even barely known) that heritage, but it does a bit. The difference is only the synthetic oud note, by the way quite light, and a general "contemporary" lightness, which I'd consider more lack of depth and substance. Finally it quickly evolves on a clean, soapy drydown with synthetic nuances (from salty to rubbery, I guess due to the oud note). Not horrible, but dull.

5,5-6/10

muzzbait
muzzbait

reminds me in parts of aoud damascus. the rose is nowhere near as sharp (probably not a damask rose scent) and the frankincense is mild enough to not smell like that minty-cedar concoction that frankincence can sometimes smell like. oud is sorta kinda there, you reallly need to stretch for it. it is there, well, the montale style oud, at least...this is nice and pleasant, just a little too cloying for me...

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I love this. It made my heart race! I don't know how else to describe it, but I feel like I might have worn something like this in another life. There is an opening blast of wood and what (to my novice nose) smells like the oudh (this opening reminds me of Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle, which is a masterpiece), and then about fifteen (yes, I timed it) minutes later it hooked me! The rose and the sandalwood opened up, and a touch of something spicy (the incense, I think), but the starting ingredients remained, only now they are mingling with the rose and the others. This is not sweet; it makes me think of a dark rose in the sun, confident and present, yet not having to announce its presence to everyone. It stays with you all day, it is not loud or harsh but you will still smell it softly as you go about your travels. I needed a rose/oudh combination like this. I fell hard and fast for this one! I didn't realize that there are so many Montales! A Montale for everyone, and Louban is for me. (happy dance)

hadassa
hadassa

Another beautiful rose-oud combination. Here the rose is dry and austere, and the olibanum note is very pronounced. I feel the green powderiness of the violet leaf: what a great idea to add it to the composition! The drydown is purely woody: sandalwood and oud. So beautiful and refined!

LOUBAN is completely unisex, as it is neither sweet nor too floral.

I think this perfume may transform a nice guy into an irresistible one. I wish men wore that kind of perfumes ;) Or not... I guess I want a bottle for myself.

Each of the several times when I've worn Montale LOUBAN, I have been reminded of WHITE AOUD. Both are a part of a fairly large collection of specifically rose-oud creations, but these two share a musty woodiness which evokes memories of old houses in the Deep South. LOUBAN smells a bit less musty, but also a bit less creamy. The woody quality here definitely dominates the composition all the way to the drydown and seems just as important as the dried roses.

When deciding between the various rose-oud creations from Montale, one must simply try them all. This particular entry smells less oudy than some and so may appeal to those who do not cherish that trendy note. At the same time, since LOUBAN is less rosy than some of the other perfumes in the neighborhood, this particular rendition may be a good choice for the guys who appreciate roses but are not keen to smell like a bouquet ;-)

Baia
Baia

Louban is a resinous dried sap,a type of traditional chewing gum extracted from a tree called Boswellia sacra which is native to Arabian Peninsula.

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

This smells absolutely beautiful, I had a tough time deciding deciding b/t this one or Aoud Velvet. But I'm 100% certain it's come to this, this is just so intriguingly different && I think I'm leaning more towards this b/c it's a lil more easier on the nose. Aoud Velvet is nice, but it's a lil harsher, Louban yeah it starts w/ a punch, but that doesn't stay for long the dry down you get a nice delicate smoky rose, && on me it actually becomes quite clean. It lasts for hours like all Montales && has excellent sillage. Yay found my 3rd Fav! :)

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

The name "Lebanon" is supposed to come from the Semitic root word for "white" (LBN) too, due to the snows of Mount Lebanon.

Just thought that was interesting....

CDGfan
CDGfan

Actually Louban means Milking or White in classical Arabic, it has nothing to do with Lebanon. Its a loose term use to describe Benzoin, Myrhh resin but mostly Frankincense. The incense in this reminds me of East Africa, specifically Habshi incense used by Somalis and Ethiopians, its smokey , aromatic, clean, and just intoxicating.

Possum-Pie
Possum-Pie

Many Montale fragrances have a rose base. This is no exception. Louban is a dried pressed dusty rose, less noticable than Black Aoud's rose. The warm cardamom is a pleasant addition. The longevity is great, as with most Montales. The sillage is above average. Definately Unisex, my wife smells wonderful wearing this one.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

This is a perfect Montale for when you are in the mood for oud (ha!) but don't want it to be in your face like Black Oud etc. The olibanum note makes it into a dilute "oil of oud" smell. Easily a unisex frag. I wore it happily today on a warmish day with a stiff breeze, but could smell it comfortingly on myself for many hours. I agree with Hilaire that it is very subtle, for a Montale. I will gladly use up my sample, but it's not quite up there for a FB & besides I have quite a few ouds in my collection.

I find that oud, like patchouli, can be almost gag-worthy in huge doses. I like both of these notes, but in moderation, and Louban certainly fits the bill here. A really nice mix.

Hilaire
Hilaire

This reminds me of a trip to Tunis I made a few years ago, it smells exactly like the perfume souk there in the Kasbah; Attar of Roses and something more like dried rose buds, Saffron, Cardamom, preserved lemons, and something earthy and milky, which I presume is the musk and oud base.

I haven't been to Lebanon yet (the Louban of the name) but I imagine that a trip to the Souks there would smell very similar to those in Tunis.

This is a perfect evocation of the Arabic love of roses and spices. Adorable if rather expensive. I've just received it today so I can't comment on sillage or longevity definitively yet, but I have a feeling the former will be decent and the latter better be good or I'll be writing to Montale to complain. LOL

I love this so far though.

Edit: Longevity on this is AMAZING, as is sillage, it doesn't choke everyone around you but it does subtly envelope one for hours and hours (coming on 6 hours now actually).

HappyShopper123

I have to revise my review below, now that I have worn Louban all day. I haven't been able to smell it but I've had 5 compliments so far stating how wonderful the fragrance is. If it had just been a single compliment I might have smiled and shrugged it off, but 5? I seriously need to consider investing in a bottle!

HappyShopper123

A very light, ever-so-slightly sweet combination of rose and musk. Sillage is very low for a Montale scent and unlike the Montale perfumes I've sampled, longevity was almost zilch. The initial effect was gorgeous but disappeared far too quickly.

stephan
stephan

The dry down is the same one than Eau d'Iparie by l'Occitane. Deceiving! Very weak for a Montale...

Fantomas
Fantomas

Montale often repeats also I find similarity to Aoud Damascus. Louban is more combined and it has the leader is incense. But it is an antique incense and it has celebratory mood. The rose and musk further follows. Frequent occurrence of violet leaf quite pertinently. Probably it isn't original for Montale but it is beautiful and sensory.

Louban by Montale 3.81 out of 5 based on 54 ratings and 16 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Louban fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Montale Louban, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Louban by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Louban by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.