Designers » M » Oriental Woody « Groups

Patchouli Leaves Montale for women and men

Patchouli Leaves Montale for women and men
dislike

Patchouli Leaves by Montale is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Montale. The fragrance features patchouli, vanilla, amber, musk and labdanum.

Patchouli Vanilla Amber Musk Labdanum

Inoubliable Elixir Patchouli
Patchouly
Patchouli Arawak
Patchouli Magique

Patchouli Leaves Fragrance Reviews

tatonnement
tatonnement

This should be renamed to "Amber Patchouli"

On application this scent is pure earthy wet patchouli- not just the leaves but the ENTIRE plant including the soil. It has a very natural scent, the patchouli is accurately captured and it has a fungal quality to it. Once you get past the raw patchouli you start to notice it warm up significantly with amber and vanilla. The drydown is extremely approachable as the patchouli fades quite a bit, almost settling into the background as a blast of warm amber starts to come through. The amber sticks around for a long time and the patchouli really starts to fade as the skin starts to warm up and take in the fragrance. You're left with a beautiful vanilla amber with a hint of patchouli plant.

While I absolutely love and appreciate the initial patchouli burst, amber absolutely steals the show in this fragrance (on my skin anyway) thus making this an extremely wearable scent. Longevity is moderate but sillage is huge.

iranperfumer
iranperfumer

این خانواده توان ساخت بو های رسمی در یک محیط اداری را دارا میباشد .البته میتوان هرکدام از این بطری ها یک دست لباس شیک ساده را نیز آزمایش کنیم بد نیست خود را در مکان های عمومی نیز رفت آمد داشته باشیم تا از تنوع البسه بوئی خود دردوستان نیز استفاده بکنند.

Eyeteach
Eyeteach

Probably the most potent fragrance in my collection. Less is more with this one. Too much, you'll smell like a long-haired hippie driving a Volkswagen van to the river. One or two sprays, you'll still smell like a long-haired hippie driving a Volkswagen van to the river, but one who just showered.

Vlud
Vlud

As the name suggests, you get lot of patchouli - an earthy, rich, herbal, wet patchouli as you can expect from this note. The amber comes second and is very well blended. It has that typical dark, gothic vibe that usually patchouli delivers. A must try for any patchouli lover!

Lasting power is forever and sillage also very good.

rednut
rednut

dirty, dark, damp, wet moldy leaves hippie patchouli. Not one for me but I can cetainly see its appeal. I prefer 'clean' patchouli. It's an expensive buy but I cannot think of anything else with the longevity and sillage of this scent. One spray lasts an entire day. I would personally say that it is more masculine than feminine and I do wear some scents that are considered masculine but this is a bit much for me. If you enjoy this sort of patchouli this would be a hard one to beat.

alberto1964
alberto1964

Pleasant, honest patchouli, far away from the complex masterpiece of Givenchy Gentlemen.

Wow wow wow !!! Best patchouli ever
Lasting power on my skin !!! Believe or not guys 24 + hrs

Wow wow !! This is a masterpiece
Scens 10/10
Longevity 10/10
Sillge 10/10
Overall 10
One of the best patchouli at there !!!

epicenez
epicenez

I have had more a test of this today and a think so a chance to write a proper review. A definite misnomer for my nose. Not getting the patchouli at all come through. I get musk, amber, vanilla and something else. A pleasant flowery mix but a tad on the feminine side. It is the smell of the old vinyl record store with a hint of mould/ musty about it. Glad I sampled first.
scent 7/10
sillage 8.5/10
longevity 8.5/10

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

My personal philosophy with Montale is to always wait one hour after applying before attempting to form an opinion, and patchouli leaves exemplifies this well. That's because it opens with steroidal power. A small dab from a sample vial was almost enough to knock me out in the beginning. I initially wanted nothing to do with this, as my apartment instantly transformed into some early '90s head shop. But as the scent eventually mellowed out, I really started to enjoy it.

The thing with patchouli is that you've really got to mix it with something. And the amber/vanilla combo is an excellent choice. The end result here is a resinous, dark-brown, earthy patchouli that is quite warm and cozy. Sweet, but not obnoxiously. And you really get a lot of bang for your buck considering how little is needed. Wear it how you want to, but one spray is more than enough for me. Groovy.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A decent patchouli featuring Montale's signature dull and unsubstantial plasticity: nuances ranging from rubbery, balsamic, dusty to salty and nutty, a woody base powdered with vanillin and that's it. You can hardly make a "soliflore" of patchouli smell bad, and in fact Patchouli Leaves it's not bad: if you like the note, patchouli smells always good, and here it is all about that – a full, dry patchouli. Nonetheless, "not smelling wrong" is obviously not enough to stand out from the crowd or however, does not turn into smelling good or great: and in fact, this is quite dull – decent, but dull. Not because of the fact it's basically a mono-note scent, but because of its quality – it's synthetic, pale, plain and mute like a school exercise. I would personally place this next to other low-quality patchouli's like Reminescence and that market segment, miles below the great ones like Etro and the very good ones like Patchouli Nobile. I'd define it unassuming and unpretentious, if it wasn't for the annoying and unjustified "niche look" (and pricing) of Montale.

5,5-6/10

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

I have a very neutral opinion about Patchouli Leaves. I find it extremely boring for its price point. I've grown to like my patchouli frags with woody or floral accords. Instead of the typical oil witch I am extremely fond of but can acquire for much less. I just can't see spending the coin on this since I'm not blown away by any stretch of the imagination.

I do like the amount of vanilla Montale uses in Patchouli Leaves it's not cloying at all. The vanilla/amber is simply very well done. I could see myself swapping or buying a partial bottle of this since I do like it.

Very Unisex 6/10

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

interesting.

none of the salt or softness of amber
none of the fullness or sweetness of vanilla
none of the depth of labdanum

so much for my expectations.

starts off minty in a wintergreen/eucalyptus way
and very resinous
not a *deep* perfume
a wandering smokiness, but not in an incense way
more like pine in the fireplace
right before the whole room fills with smoke...

i like this but it's not wearable for me
not inviting
almost think-y

but a good work of art

Anup
Anup

Very straightforward and boring.

Patchouli patchouli patchouli, a floral note drifting by.
A tidal wave of sweet sweet patchouli, if you like pot brownies then this'll probably tickle you in your bad spot.

Oh and it's loud too, very loud.
So everyone around you can know that I FUCKING LOVE PATCHOULI GUYS!

OH!, a moist dampness is present as well.
A hippies wet dream.

Mr. CG White
Mr. CG White

Hey baby ;) Where have you been all my life? For so long my life was dull and boring looking for others like you! You brought love and happiness into my life by blessing me with your smooth sensuality off the top and I feel in love with your warm creamy dreamy thick vanillic bottom half. Once you are on me I have a hard time getting you to get off me, not that I want you to ;)

Bbjr
Bbjr

This is an excellent patchouli, not too strong and the hint of vanilla really blends nicely. This is what I imagined patchouli to smell like. Good stuff.

Shorokh
Shorokh

Very sweet and creamy patchouli. After 1 hour smells like some eatable sweety made of patchouli and vanilla. Reaaly too sweet.

Bandit
Bandit

Why Montale has it's high reputation is beyond me. I find their perfumes to be mediocre at best, at least the ones I tested out of their overpriced range of the 300 they offer. The quality of their product is comparable to Tesori d'Oriente and the likes; either stolen formulations or awful compositions, mostly very one-dimensional, but with a better pr and much higher price tag. Worst "niche" brand I can think of.

Patchouli Leaves smells like a cheap head shop perfume. The vanilla is awful sweet and unnatural, the Patchouli is sweet and unearthy, the amber is sweet and cloying. Allover it smells cheap-oily. For the goths out there: You don't want this patchouli, you'd smell like your hippie grandma, who has lost her sense of smell by using too much acid.

---

It gets compared to Reminiscence Inoubliable Elixir Patchouli quite often and I can see why; they are in fact very close, but IEP makes everything right, where PL does it wrong. IEP doesn't have that cloying sweetness and the artificial vanilla of PL (but it's own kind of artifical vanilla, the Reminiscence one, which you find in most other fumes of that house, which is easier to handle for me), but is more dry and more earthy and strangly enaugh softer at the same time - no headache for me here.

I would highly recommend sampling those two side by side (probably with Les Nereides Patchouli Antique also, which I don't know at the moment, but will soon sample), because there are subtle differences, that makes one a hit, one a miss (at least for me). They are on the other hand so similar to each other, that I'd say you don't need both.

antfarm
antfarm

This is definitely a hippie patchouli. It begins smelling intensely of mud and tilled soil, then it transforms into a bodily, sweaty patchouli within about a half hour. If you are a hippie, this is you in liquid form. It's genius, but it's not something I'd wear.

da_markos
da_markos

In the nutshell: remove cocoa note and you get l'instant pour homme extreme from guerlain. This is classy, deep, dark evening scent.

flkirkland
flkirkland

+1 from CoffeeCologne. This is a really nice patchouli scent. The patchouli is the star here, but it is surrounded by warm amber and labdanum that powder it down just a tad. The warm vanilla gives it just that hint of sweetness that pulls it out of the dirty earth smell and into a truly beautiful scent. My wife hates patchouli - so I am eager to see what she says when she smells it tonight. I'll update if it's negative.

Arvydas
Arvydas

Great patchouly fragrance. Nice

kdlehr
kdlehr

I have very mixed emotions about Montale's creations. Whilst I like a few especially from the aoud range, most others I find just to rough and with a sort of common edge.
This one however is in my opinion one of the best patchouli scents I have ever smelled and anyone can wish for.

Spicy and strong with a hint of vanilla, totally sensual in a sexy comforting way. I just love when the amber is coming through in the drydown. This is pure delight.

Nowhere near anything from the patchoulis of the sixties.
For me it has just the right projection and silage.
Longevity is acceptable.
I received tons of compliments wearing it.
Definitely on my to buy list for a full bottle .

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

Many of my frags contain patch and fortunately I never get that "stink" or "hippie" or "dirty" smell that so many use to describe this note (as I would find that offensive). That being said, my skin tends to radiate "earthy" notes and I'm always concerned that frags will smell like "mulch, damp roots or fresh twigs" (not my thing). I feared that Patchulli Leaves would be one of those. Well my nose and skin chemistry must like patch b/c again I get nothing "offensive" nor can I use any of the "typical" patch adjectives. This frag has a gentleness about it, not to be mistaken for sheer. Initially there is the soft, balmy amber (love amber), I also get undercurrents of clean sand/soil after a very light rain (not beachy or mossy or mulchy), a barely-there sweetness and a touch of creamy vanilla . . . this is unique, deep and rich but not in a "look at me" way but in a very personal, so relaxing to my senses kind of way. FB worthy.

AveParfum
AveParfum

It's drop-dead gorgeous. The amber is not synthetic like most ambers. This is a warm, mellow, slightly sweet amber perfume. Patchouli is intense--rich and nutritious like a peat bog. I smell plenty of dark, damp soil, full of partially decayed mosses and leaves.

It reminds me of Prada's Amber, but Prada is spicy, and I don't get that spicy quality in Patchouli Leaves.

So earthy, yet so heavenly.

Eos
Eos

This is a fabulous labdanum patchouli scent! Resinous, dark, spicy, creamy, its everything I could have ever hoped for in this perfume. If you are not a fan of strong patchouli or amber fragrances this is not for you. The patchouli has a slight dirty undertone but it is not a hippie patchouli scent. Sillage and longevity are amazing.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Tried my decant of this today, thinking I would like it as I enjoy little bits of patchouli in other fragrances. Not to be. I liked this at first, it had a rather green, spicy topnote along with the patchouli. The drydown, however, to my nose was sickeningly sweet and totally overpowering patchouli and amber. Smelling it I feel like I had fallen into some quicksand in India and someone was pouring patchouli water on me trying to drown me, too. After numerous patchouli induced sneezing fits I determined that this is not for me and I will leave patchouli to those who love and appreciate it. Wanted to like it, but it just didn't happen.

judyk
judyk

Curse you, body chemistry. On me this is sweet milk chocolate with a dash of wet straw. Very disappointing.

mystica
mystica

Until the last few years, I was keeping a "diary" in which I noted down my impressions about all the perfumes I used or ever tried in my life. When the number reached around a few hundred excluding the perfumes I only listed but couldn't find a chance to review, this endeavor suddenly seemed overwhelming to me, and I quit.

Now I'm asking myself, what is it with Montale's Patchouli Leaves which makes me think that amongst too many it is the number 1 so far, and most importantly it WILL stay that way?... What is this prejudice for a person who considered herself experienced and appreciated that there would always be something better?...

When I was not searching anything at all other than I already know about, this comes to me like a miracle in a sample vial thanks to the generosity of UrbanBeautiful whom I had a successful swap with. I instantly knew that it was unusual, yet I was just yet to discover...

This is the most divine fragrance I've ever smelled. Heavens could be perfumed with Montale's Patchouli Leaves. It evokes a feeling of deep reverence, and at the same permeates an unprecedented sexappeal of an irresistible kind stemming from this very immaculate quality. It stirs my heart with a sweet, tingling sensation and dazzles me.

I'm thankful to God for this creation. No doubt, Montale is a master perfumer, I can't help but respect him.

jtd
jtd

The earthy aspect of patchouli, and the warm stone-scent aspects of cistus labdanum are the thread that joins these two key players in Patchouli Leaves. Sweetness isn’t hidden, but certainly isn’t pushed to the front. I find the patch that is there exactly the viscous, hippy patch that I was looking for. But it’s perfectly matched by amber, vanilla, and musk, which might make it sound candy sweet, but it isn't. They serve to add a rounded, cushioned feel. The whole fragrance reads like patchouli on a stack of pillows.

beamainguy
beamainguy

The patchouliest scent I ever tried.

isabella211
isabella211

I purchased this with a strong patchouli/amber scent in mind. I knew this is how I wanted to smell and I'm so happy the Scent Bar is right next to me, cause they always guide me in the right direction. First off, the staying power of this magical fragrance is ridiculous. Second, the dry down is seriously amazingly beautiful. We go from strong patchouli and amber to soft vanilla with a powder puff of amber surrounding. INCREDIBLE. I always feel the true test is what my husband thinks, before I tell him I already dropped the cash on it, and when he smelled this one, not knowing it was new, he said I smelled incredibly sexy. He also used the words erotic, exotic and intoxicating...along with some other slightly inappropriate adjectives to describe this mesmerizing scent. Well, that just so happens to be EXACTLY how I want to smell...I think I smell a new signature scent coming on!

UPDATE: okay, been wearing this for about a month now, and never have I had so many complete, absolute strangers, come up to me and ask me what I'm wearing. I sort of love every second of this. quite literally every day, someone compliments my fragrance and not just a "you smell nice" kind of a compliment, but an almost shocked "whao, what are you wearing?? you smell amazing!" sort. And they ALWAYS want to know where to buy it. Needless to say, I'm in love.

cpk
cpk

This is what happens if you add a ton of patchouli to Ambre Sultan.

Mim
Mim

I tried it and I love it.
It's a sweet, spicy, strong and sensual patchouli with amber, vanilla and some cedar in it (?!). I do not smell forest or wet soil (wish I did, but it's nice and different).
It isn't dark or metallic, just nice and warm perfume with great sillage and longevity. Very much woody :).

Montale PATCHOULI LEAVES offers a lot of dark oily hippie patchouli in a luscious labdanum-amber base with just a touch of sweetness. Wearing this perfume is like wearing an old worn-out sweater that feels cozy and comfortable and even cuddly but is not something that I'd want to don in public. It seems somehow too personal and too suggestive for anywhere but home.

I cannot help chuckling at the reviewer who said that this would be great--were it not for the patchouli! I realize that some people do have a patchouli problem, but I think that the name in this case is a sufficent red flag... Recommended for patchouli lovers and hippies, this perfume has excellent longevity and smells totally groovy!

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

too bitter and heavy, dark patchouli,

Sissi
Sissi

What prevents me to loving this
is the heavy amount of amber as the opener the amber had a bit of an curdled
smell but that my only compaint.
of course you've got patchouli but it drowns in a wet saturated sea of oils
but want makes it dry is the Labdanum
with the deep fiery smokey scent plays
a part of this fragrance and the animalistic spots of Musk and the
drydown of vanilla.

I would love this if it didn't have patchouli in it. The undertones are rich, deep, smooth and edible, and aside from a nice woody aspect, the patchouli has just too much of that hippie-oil feeling to it and ruins it for me. I had to scrub it off. I have smelled real, fresh patchouli leaves, crushed in my fingers directly from the plant, and they do not smell like this.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Smells really natural patchoully with a touch of "chocolate" in it. Really sexy fragrance I think more masculine side but can be worn by woman :-)

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i came up with a more fair way to assess this perfume and this is my new review for it. after noticing that most of my the scents i like included patchouli, i assumed i would enjoy most patchouli based scents. patchouli, however, is a moody pal. in this fume, the patchouli is dark, wet and dense. it conjures up thoughts of a late night sky after a thunderstorm. the earth is still trying to soak up the excess water and everything is dank. the patchouli i like is more the next day with the sun drying everything out. this one is not for me, but it lasts very long for those who like a moist patchouli.

coco76
coco76

great for patchoulli lovers...the vanilla comes in a few hours later. i could have sworn i smelled cedar in here, very strongly at the beginning.

jeca
jeca

A great patchouly scent, dark, sensual, complete.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Patchouli Leaves fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Montale Patchouli Leaves, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Patchouli Leaves by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Patchouli Leaves by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.