Designers » M » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

dislike

almond
honey
nutty

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women and men. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Montale. The fragrance features rose, honey, almond and vanilla.

Rose Honey Almond Vanilla

Byzantium

Sweet Oriental Dream Fragrance Reviews

BrittJ
BrittJ

Smells like Guerlin Insolence to me.

tandaina
tandaina

I swear I smell chocolate. I know it isn't listed but the notes in this on my skin create an incredible chocolate accord.

Got a small sample and am wearing it today. Sweet it is, if you don't like sweet steer clear, and it lasts. It's quite linear but I expect that from Montale and I am not someone who demands my perfumes evolve. If I like the scent then I like the scent and I'm happy to stick with it. This one is lovely, not as in your face as some Montales though overspray could be a real issue if you are to trigger happy. Go easy on this one to enjoy it better.

I get a lovely natural honey, complete with pollen, some musky nut in the background and a hint of vanilla. Sometimes the honey is forefront and on some breathes I'll swear I'm smelling a milky/dusky chocolate. Then it's back to honey/nut. I'm really enjoying this on a cool rainy summer day.

Madrona
Madrona

It reminds me of a hypothetical "Habanita light", or a honey-drenched tobacco-less Back to Black by Kilian. Intoxicating. Fantastic. Love.

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

I have sampled quite a few Montale frags now and I have to believe that this is not the house for me.. I have not liked a single one yet.
This one is very much a rose, dipped in a strong honey. Not for me.

oktober
oktober

In comparison to KM Loukhoum, this is sweeter and less musky. Perhaps the "less musky" factor makes everything sweeter, and the almond-honey combo a bit less powdery. But it is an acceptable substitute for Loukhoum.
And at a significantly lower cost. 100ml of Oriental Dream is much cheaper than 50ml of Loukhoum

larita91
larita91

This is juuuust beautiful. Strong, thick and the sillage is a monster! Really powdery on me, sweet, but not cloying. Yummy. :)

oopriyapriya
oopriyapriya

on amber clouds of luscious honey dripping with fragrant almond liqueur, i traveled over a dense agar-wood forest...
over fields of delectable vanilla beans capturing all their sweetness...only to land in the lap of soft rose petals...
ahhh!...and then to discover that the clouds had turned into wings...my wings...nectarous and ethereal...
i'm in a sweet oriental dream...oh so sweet...
please don't wake me up!!

the big totoro
the big totoro

I've had this one for a while. It was love at first smell! I was on a quest for the ultimate almond perfume when I found this. Wow! Beyond intense almond heaven. Sweet, rich almond Shangri La! The gold standard almond frag IMO. Sillage that will linger long after you've left. Longevity that rivals Methuselah! You get a lot of bang for your buck!10/10 all the way!

Mehdi_M
Mehdi_M

Very sweet, very very very sweet. One can not simply describe this perfume's sweetness! It starts with vanillic almond and as time passes by it just gets stronger and stronger, so be warned you are dealing with a beast.

Project and longevity lesson: I put it on, went out, projects like a beast, 3 feet a head of me, 6 hours later came back and showered, put on oud wood (directly on the points I had applied this one before). 24 hours after that Oud wood is completely gone and this one can be smelled close to skin!

pj.alowishus
pj.alowishus

I would not waste 80 euros buying this blind, please anyone thinking about getting it, get a sample, as it's horrible, headache inducing joss sticks (cheap ones, if that makes a different) mixed with stale marzipan and elnett hairspray.

Dominic80
Dominic80

This is another one of my very private,secretive, charmingly pleasureful addictions. I feel like the main character of 50 Shades of Gray (not the one seen in the recent clumsy,tacky movie's version, but, the one breaking hearts in those truly titillating, sexy books) able to make happen some of my most dangerous, troubling, or perhaps just simply sensual and deepest desires, and, having Loukhoum, or Montale's Sweet Dreams by my side, shows how they clearly all are my main weapons, my most delicate and sublime poisons: an intoxicating, pink, exotic essence, that's so rare in its aroma's it could just be out of a divine Oriental dream, while it's mysterious power lingers over clouds of pure baby talc, and sugar candy, making of it the very master standing easily above all dreamy juices with its excellence: a few drops poured over the corsets, or the languid skin, or even the pulsating hearts of my beautiful girlfriends, seem indeed at times, way more than enough to do the trick, and, accomplish all of my darkest desires. You cannot say no to Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream, and if you say no, it is because you know how fragile of a prey you are.. Its ingridients have always been very vague, and kept under wraps: i believe there's a lot more than what they wanna disclose on here: perhaps some of the finest heliotrope? And,maybe some real sublimated baby powder's essence? And, soft violets, and, intense roses, with their wickedly perfumed dusting dew? Pure sugar?
I don't know. I don't need to know at this point, since i have been hooked into the game of this exclusive scent from the great Montale, for a very long time, now! But,i could easily bet, there are way more secrets in this composition than in way, way many other's, and, much more famous, classic best sellers to date.
I can only say one thing: that, very often, it is the very primal, sweet, most elusive of the secrets that can bring us down to some incredibly lush pleasures,and, to some of the most intense and awaited abandonment. And,Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream does definitely perform impeccably, when it comes to all the above.. and, beyond!

Sweetmontale
Sweetmontale

I love this perfume,,,,

Steleale
Steleale

No doubt: it's good and the quality is worthy of Montale. I detect all the ingredients listed except rose. Great impact to my nose, but this is not the smell I want over my body. I prefer BTB by Kilian and L'Artisan's TDB.

deadidol
deadidol

Not as horrifying as it sounds coming from one of the least subtle houses in perfumery. The honey is there, but it’s dialed back, blended with scorched maltol, and the whole thing’s cut with Montale’s signature condom note (a rubbery saffron) that actually launches the scent into a more intriguing space. Don’t get me wrong, it's still best suited for folks who choose to smell like donuts of their own cognizance, but given the brand and the name of the perfume, it’s not nearly as gag-inducing as you might think. Well-shaped, somewhat polite, and not a total cliche—which is quite impressive for Montale. Would I wear it? Of course not. Is it as bad as it could have been? Not really.

Coffeelover64
Coffeelover64

I have a love/hate relationship with this one. On me this smells like a concoction of baby powder, vanilla, general sweetness, with tobacco smoke and a hint of almond. I don't smell any flowers. It's quite interesting and doesn't smell like anything else I've come across. Just not sure it's a good thing.

svetlana.kogan.73
svetlana.kogan.73

Such a pretty smell! I have put it on my wrists and walked out into the snow and it was such a ying/yang of elements: the crispy zest of the snow and the mellow sweetness of the perfume..
I smell honey, rose, almonds, and vanilla - all as promised in the description.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Better suited for a lady than a guy. It's not as gourmand on my skin. The honey/almond is present with a light vanilla base. After 4 hours I have to sniff my wrist to smell it which is a pity based on other Montale scents. Performance is average but I do like the scent, just not on me.

Cochlea
Cochlea

Délicieux!
The lovely almonds are covered with sweet, sweet honey and there are roses but they are dusted with vanilla sugar.
I adore Sweet Oriental Dreams because for some reasons the combination of notes reminds me a little bit of cherry pipe tobacco!
This scent is powdery but not too much for me. I can sense a little of the plastic notes at the beginning but that subdues quickly enough. Out of my "Turkish Delights" samples, this one was my favorite because of the soft tobacco accord.
It is very heavy and dramatic scent as expected by my experiences with Montale.

This is a must test for gourmand lovers, surely they will love this in their collection!
The sillage was a beast and the longevity was about 9 hours (2ml sprayer)! I need a bigger decant of this asap!

megrim
megrim

In the field of 'Turkish Delight/Rahat Loukhoum' fragrances, S.O.D. is the black sheep of the flock. In typical Montale style, it takes a concept and turns it up to eleven.

Eleven thousand.

This is the bad boy of turkish delights. Dark, greasy, poisonously sweet, and not nearly as powdery or soft as one might expect from the notes alone. The opening is teeth-achingly sweet, dark richness, all burnt sugar, rose, bitter almond and acidic oud. After 3-4 hours or so you start to move into the drydown where it takes on a strange, almost unsettling chemical greasy-sweetness, with a dash of vanilla smoke. I've noticed a lot of people find this note very artificial, but for what it is worth - I actually grow a species of orchid that has blooms that smell exactly like the drydown on S.O.D. Prosthechea radiata if anyone's interested.

The hot, sweet, almondy latex drydown lasts for another 8 hours or so, before finally bowing out with a last gasp of ragged, smokey vanilla. I adore this frag and truly find it unisex, but in this case 'unisex' does not mean 'safe'. Definitely try before you buy and perhaps avoid wearing this in warm, enclosed spaces. You may accidentally knock someone out.

Longevity is predictably eternal. Getting this on anything other than your skin is a bad idea - you'll most likely be catching whiffs of it for months to come. Projection/sillage is just as nuclear as most Montale offerings, not office safe, heck, probably not even warm weather safe. Outrageous, delicious, nasty and hot. Enjoy responsibly.

seekritdude
seekritdude

Wonder if I got a bad sample. I see some reviews talking about tobacco? Where? At what point? Ill I get is a sweet, powdery, and creamy honey. And one I dont care for either. Linear as well. Although they dont smell the same at all, id think if you want something resembling a honey, with some powder kinda scent(and tobacco if its actually there which some people say it is)I would just get By Kilians Back to Black. Not even close. For what its worth it lasts long and projects well like a lot of montales. But again I myself dont think it smells very good, and it gets sickening smelling like it for hours upon hours. A deff pass for me.

Beauté_Orientale
Beauté_Orientale

Great perfume, but too much of roses (which I dislike)

Eneli
Eneli

Could I be able to resist a man who smells like this? Nope, I guess..

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

I'm just doing a side-by-side comparison of this perfume and Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum Eau Poudree.
These two are extremely similar!
Both being absolutely scrumptious, intensely sweet gourmands with excellent sillage and longevity.
Both versions are gorgeous concoctions of sugary rose, almonds and vanilla.
They just slightly differ from each other. To me Loukhoum Eau Poudree is slightly less sweet due to the addition of violet leaf I think, whereas Sweet Oriental Dream is slightly sweeter due to the honey.
The difference between the two is minimal as I can only tell the difference by doing this side-by-side comparison.
''Must Check Outs'' for every gourmand lover!!
♥♥♥♥♥

ailimeavolokin
ailimeavolokin

Unbelievably yummy, delicious, enticing. Enormous longevity and sillage. Honey, almonds, trays of baklava, turkish delight, syrup, roses- it's all in the bottle. Smells like fancy pastry shop downtown Istanbul.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I blind bought this, and I have no regrets. It grows on me each time I wear it. This is very sweet, but I have taken the advice of several writers and what I do (so I don't go into "sugar shock") is to spray it right in front of myself (not directly on myself), and then walk into the mist. Absolutely no more than two sprays, at most! Just one spray does the job for me, and I can still smell it through the course of the day. If I walk into the perfume mist, it is less apt to make me (and others around me) sneeze! This one needs time to relax into to the warmth of your skin; I found that after about four hours was when it really made me think of Guerlain's Tonka Imperiale and how I wished that the Guerlain would smell like this on me; a delicious buttery soft honey almond vanilla human skin warmth (with just a wee tiny bit of salt, like salt from your skin) scent. I've tried Tonka Imperiale and while I really liked it, I did not purchase it because my skin ate it; Tonka was very faint after I dabbed some on and it completely disappeared about an hour after I applied it. SOD on the other hand will stay with you all day. This is very nice for winter; a lift for your spirits on bitter cold days.

PS: Thank you , Estebanz ;)

evesoho
evesoho

This is one strange perfume. In fact, it should be renamed Strange Oriental Dream. That would honestly be more fitting, considering the texture (powder/oil), and its out of whack behaviour.

I can't smell individual notes in this perfume. The scent reminds me of pink clouds. Montale has some pink bottles and they ought to put this scent in one.

To me, SOD (heehee) smells more pasty than powdery, almost like a roux (flour+water, used for cooking sauces). Yet it is physically very oily, to the point that I can't stand how oily it is.

How is it behaving? Well, it appeared to have leaked from the decant when I opened my package of samples, there was oil all over them. So, using my cheap little decanting kit I bought from Surrender To Chance, I carefully switched it into another decant, put it into a small box with fewer samples. When I opened the box - there was oil all over those!

What else? It's so strong! Normally I don't complain about strength because I like powerful perfumes, but I felt unsettled while wearing it, to the point where my neck was swinging around all the time with the "what is that smell?" reflex. All the physical movement of looking over my shoulder in fact had the effect of making me feel nervous.

To me, SOD (heehee) does *not* mix well with other smells. I had to stop peeling a tangerine and leave the room entirely. I felt sick and held my breath cleaning off the car when I could smell exhaust and SOD mingling around me. I'm never usually so irritated (emotionally, not physically) by perfumes.

And finally, it showed up in my dreams! It will NOT be ignored! I was in a dorm at University, and in the common room there was a fair set up with all kinds of vendors. There was a huge vat of SOD for sale for $25. And I really wanted it! It was a good dream, there were many handsome men at this dream University.

I don't know what else to say. I've had to throw out my sample. But I will never forget this perfume.

Update: Oh. My. God. I just read the review below mine. Exact same experience with the nervousness and the fear!!!!

polka
polka

Sorry to say that, but SOD is totally not my cup of tea.

The opening has almost knocked me down. Plasticky, oily sweetness that reminds me of rahat-loukhoum dipped in gasoline; honestly, this is something you don’t want to wear. Well, at least I don’t. It becomes a bit smoother over time, but still reminds of floor polish with its chemical undertone.

In my opinion, mixing bitter-sweet almonds with waxy honey and raw tobacco was a bad, bad idea. Or the execution failed.I don't get any rose in it, and there's stale vaniline instead od vanilla. I simply don’t understand this fragrance. I cannot find anything appealing in it (and mind you, I don’t expect all perfumes to be nice’n’pretty). Sweet Oriental Dream is crude, weird in a bad way, it gets on my nerves and makes me feel nauseous. I cannot even say I am disappointed with this one; I am pretty much scared by it. It should be called Sweet Oriental Nightmare.

Estebanz
Estebanz

WARNING: AVOID IF YOU DONT LIKE TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION...
SOTD: SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM.
If you are a fan of By Kilian Back to Black,Guerlain Tonka Imperial & Costamor Tabacca,then you most check this one out,This fragrance is one of the most beautiful intoxicanting Gourmands Ive ever had the pleasure to smell/Own.
This fragrance demands attention,and Hypnotize with an Intoxicating Honey explotion,the composition share a mouth watery Sugared Almond with a Cherry Pipe Tobacco smell and just the right amount of Rose Petals,and if this wasnt sweet enough for Gourmand lovers,there is also lots of Vanilla here and all of this is enveloped in a nice Incense Aura to give out a nice smooky Quality to this sweet Concontion,Im telling you Guys & Girls,if you are a Fan of Sweet Fragrances,You Most check out SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM...
I cant Get Enough of this UltraSweet and Intoxicating Gourmand.
Long:10 out of 10.
Proj: 10 out of 10.
Long: 10 out of 10.
Versat: 6 out of 10.
Smell: 10 out of 10.
Unisex Scale: 47% Masc
53% Fem.
Now if you like how this sounds,then what are you waiting for?go check this one out now,and you can thank Me Later.

esteban747
esteban747

The first seconds of the opening are pure honey and vanilla, very sweet. When I was about to rush and wash off this perfume, the rose appeared and it made a big difference.
The sweetness is present all the time but the rose is like a breeze of fresh air in the middle of a hot summer day.
While I could detect each single note, at one point they all blend together creating one single scent, similar to a praline dessert.
Many of Montale's fragrances are overly sweet and cloying, but Sweet Oriental Dream is fabulous, sillage is moderate to soft (unless you spray more than you should).

CocoKat
CocoKat

My boyfriend absolutely loves Sweet Oriental Dream on me. He recently made a comment that I smell of a sexy baklava and that I make him both horny and hungry similtaneously, apparently this is a novel feat for him.

I typically do not love sweet gourmand fragrances (with exceptions) but I find SOD really beautiful and incredibly different from most.

antfarm
antfarm

Very nice. Another powdery-sweet loukhoum scent that is a little bit more grown-up and less approachable than Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum. I prefer the Keiko Mecheri though (it lasts longer and is more full-bodied).

Bettany87
Bettany87

This is wonderfully delicious! I adore the scent of Loukhoum and this is as delectable as that Turkish delight gets. A mouthwatering combination of almond, vanilla, honey and sugar with lovely hints of rose in the background. I was taken with this fragrance from first sniff ... sweet, luscious and nutty. If you like Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum (like I do), they're very similar but Montale Sweet Oriental Dream is even creamier on the skin.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

As my profile states, I'm wearing this today, but really I think it's wearing me!

I had to acquire a sample of this because it sounded so different and intriguing, but I knew it wouldn't suit me so if you generally tend not to go for perfumes that are heavy on sweet vanilla and tobacco it wouldn't be something you'd love. Though the notes do seem very authentic and high quality

It is an interesting experience though! I first get super strength baby lotion, not baby powder, but baby lotion because it has an oily quality. There's a tiny heart of gelatinous rose and pistachio scented Turkish Delight, then as it dries down sweet pipe tobacco drenched in baby lotion dominates for me, it does get drier and drier though, until vanilla tobacco is the dominant note. This seems to me a high quality vanilla note - very like vanilla pods in a jar of sugar, with that coffee-like note of vanilla pod). Almond essence is always there - if you were to stick your nose over an open packet of tobacco(preferably pipe tobacco)a bottle of almond essence and a vanilla pod, you're halfway there to this fragrance.

Oddly enough I find this unfeminine, I'm reminded of oldy-worldy gentlemen from my past who are no longer here - uncles who smoked pipe tobacco, a rare event these days. But of course it's all subjective and down to personal taste, and how it works on you. Someone mentioned marzipan which sadly I'm not getting on my skin, if I did I'd like it more as I love marzipan!

I might experiment with this and some rose oil essences to see if it does more for me. I recently discovered that a touch of rose otto with Bulgari Black smells amazing!

Edit a few days later: still don't love it on me, but my Mum tried it, and on her, these flowery notes of rose and almost violet come out, and it's a more whispy tobacco, really nice! Def' depends on your skin, and that says a lot about the good quality ingredients in this.

Cereza
Cereza

The first blast of almond/honey and rose combo is simply shocking and very beautiful. The scent I'm getting is powdery rose with the ultimate sweetness of almond, I do love how honey, which I am not usually friendly with, in "Sweet oriental dream" is not too foody and so distinct. It just helps the whole bouquet to stand out.
After the first blast a wonderful vanilla appears and this actually gets a bit too foody and gourmand for me, but I bet may people would love this.
Even though this is a nice scent, I don't think I could wear it, it's extremely sweet and might cause a headache and here as in many rose + almond fragrances I get the "old lipstick" note which is unfortunately not bearable by me.

fullbottleworthy
fullbottleworthy

Hmmm.... I'm not sure this is MY sweet oriental dream, but might be someone else's. It's really a gorgeous, soft, feminine scent, however the initial blast of powder is a bit of a turn off for me. Luckily, it never manages to get to Guerlain status with the powdery notes, but it's still more than I am usually comfortable with. The rose is quite prominent, and I can't say it's a rose I particularly like (not surprising since I am very finicky with rose scents).That being said, I still think it's a lovely scent, but I wouldn't buy a bottle. I do appreciate the marzipan vibe, and I've noticed that it gets sweeter and more gourmand as it sits on my skin but it never reaches that deep, rich, sweet, seductive level that I look for in an oriental. I like full fat, rich orientals like Hypnotic Poison eau Sensuelle, and rich, sexy gourmands, so for me this one just wasn't exactly my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful scent, just not something I can see myself wearing too often. I might try it again later and see if anything changes. Btw, this perfume is STRONG, which is great. A little goes a long way. Sillage is moderate to long lasting (actually, just right!) and longevity is amazing!!!

EDIT- I think that as it sits on my skin, the rose is fading and the marzipan (well, almond, but sweet like marzipan) is coming out more which makes me think maaaaybe I could kinda like this one more than I originally thought. Not a super fan of the opening notes though or the powder throughout all the stages :(

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

I was very surprised to see that there was no Tonka in this. It smells very similar to Guerlain's Tonka Imperial. I would say that I favor the Guerlain, but this Montale has quite the longevity and about half the price.

Very sweet and gourmand oriental fragrance!

This fragrance smells yummy Turkish delight warmed and sweetened by the honey note mixed with the tasty almond note and beautified by the rose of France and Centifolia rose notes. Delicious!

I really like roses in this fragrance. I wish they were more intensive. Actually, they are intensive enough, but they smell more like in Turkish delight. The other notes hide their beauty a little bit. As for me, I feel more roses smelling this fragrance right from the bottle than on the skin.

Because of the almond, honey and a little bit rose notes this fragrance reminds me a Louve by Serge Lutens. Only if Louve smells more like a liqueur, Sweet Oriental Dream smells powdery enough.

This fragrance is very bright, intensive and sweet. Sometimes it seems to me even sickly sweet associating with something like a wet rosy almond sugar powder.

But despite it seems to me too sweet sometimes, I really like this fragrance because it's very yummy and the roses notes are very charming in it! Besides, I like how this fragrance is called because it really smells exactly like this:)

Turkish delight oriental fairy-tale!

MerlinAbsolute
MerlinAbsolute

Uniqueness: 8/10
Overall: 9/10

Sweet Oriental Dream has Winnie the Pooh's stamp of approval on it. An opulent honey fragrance that may come off too strong out of the bottle but wears beautifully. Think of drizzling honey that has been allowed to dry a little bit. The almond is very light and I'm sure if you looked very hard with a magnifying glass there's rose in there somewhere. But really, it's more a portrait of honey, makes you think of warm cookies and sticky fingers.

The sillage is very good, this juice projects like a proper Montale. You will smell it and so will others, so use your judgement. Opens with a spicy sourness which is quick to leave and becomes more powdery after an hour. Almonds come forth as it ages, mostly after three or so hours. On me this lasts around 8 to 9 hours, which is very impressive.

A beguiling fragrance if used sparingly, not your cheap-smelling Pink Sugar (Aquolina) in the least. Personally though, I would have liked to see the almond more in than its current back-seat position.

10jflow
10jflow

I tried this both on skin and clothing:

Clothing - Very sweet and excessively powdery, flat and vaguely cheap. Kind of reminded me of Love's Baby Soft, from what I remember of it 20 years ago.

Skin - more complexity, slightly less powdery, with the almonds at least making an appearance (they were virtually non-existant on clothing).

Either way, nothing particuarly compelling here unless one is searching for the perfectly over-powdered honey with a hint of almond. Longevity was quite good. It is "sweet" and I suppose "dreamy" in a new-born baby sort of way, but in no way "oriental".

Jillzilla

On me, this is more honey than almond, and the rose stays neutral. It's a very intense honey scent, not powdery at all on my skin! The honey generates an olfactory sort of "heat" as well. For some unknown reason, this perplexes my nose and preoccupies my mind. I am going to try re-testing it on a day where I am preoccupied with something else, so I will stop thinking so hard about what I am smelling and just enjoy the scent! The wafts are sweet, sticky, and lovely afterall!

rosecat
rosecat

Love this so much! its sweet, powdery, rose jam, sort of incence but really no smoke, pretty much exactly as descibed. Its long lasting and highly addictive. I wanted "Loukhoum" so badly but could not afford it, so bought this due to the fantastic reviews of Fragrantica ( so helpfull) and I love just as much.

mssallywalk2011
mssallywalk2011

I beg to differ that this fragrance isn't long lasting because it is! I applied the small sample of .7ml from luckyscent before I went to church and the aroma was uplifting. It smells so great. Intially when I took a sniff of it I smelled powder and wasn't that impressed. So I crack open the small vial yesterday after a shower and its remained on my body the following next day. It has a vanilla aroma as well and is a nice fragrance. I tried chypre fruit,chypre vanille and I will get this over those two anyday. I'm stuck with the white aoud which was a blind buy. Thank god I didn't buy the larger 3.3 version because I would have been stuck with it. That white aoud I dislike and was disappointed thinking all of Montale's line smelled awful but when I had a shot at Sweet Oriental Dream I said, let me give this a try. Very Lovely frag

floof
floof

This is almost exactly the same as Loukoum by KM, but doesnt last as long for me and it is not worth having both, they are almost exactly the same.

stacia79
stacia79

A sweet, heavy powdery gourmand on my skin. Yummy and cozy, like an oversized sweater on Christmas morning, eating almond kringle and you can smell Grandpa's pipe tobacco wafting in from the porch.

Postumo
Postumo

Outstanding gourmand perfume around the turkish delight or Loukhoum theme. it's sweet and strong, but doesn't get cloying (well, i wouldn't use in hot weather just in case) or sirupy/sugary-sweet.

The sweetnes is well balanced. It gets kinda powdery/dusty for my tastes but with the great balance of notes and composition that Pierre Montale has achieved with this one, i can get over it.

Fantastic sillage and longevity (Montale garantees that). A bit on the femenine side but wearable for the kind of men that like to not be so mainstream.
4,5/5

For loukhoum lovers only, Montale SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM is just that. To my nose, this composition is slightly less sweet than my memory of the first perfume in the Keiko Mecheri trio. However, my reception of the KM loukhoum perfumes may very well have been affected by my non-expectations of super-sweetness, given that I had no idea at the time what loukhoum even was!

My suspicion is that some reviewers of SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM, too, lacked previous loukhoum experience. What is even more strange, given the name, is that people are complaining that this perfume is sweet. This is a rare case of total truth in advertising! I could definitely understand such complaints, were this perfume simply named ORIENTAL DREAM and marketed as unisex. Then any guy who purchased this scent unsniffed would have a valid claim in requesting a full refund. In this case, however, the sweetness is unabashedly and unapologetically revealed up front and center. If you do not like sweet perfumes, why in the world would you be purchasing something called SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM? Perhaps reviewers simply like to bitch in general. That would explain why they get all bent out of shape whether the name falsely or accurately claims to be this or that thing. But I digress...

SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM is a confectionary perfume with more almond nougat than anything else. The roses are akin to the ones made out of frosting and poised atop store-baked birthday and wedding cakes. But anyone who is actually looking for a loukhoum perfume should give this one a try, provided that they have a triple expresso and a pitcher of ice water close by! The longevity of this perfume is typical for loukhoum-centric compositions, at least those I've tried: quasi-infinite. Loukhoum sticks around until you submerge your perfumed naked body in a bath! That's a good thing if you like it, but a precaution to those who are testing for the very first time.

A fine loukhoum perfume, in my estimation, but it is what it is, and it's not what it's not. If you have not yet walked down loukhoum lane, this would be an excellent place to start (and, for many, to finish).

Emerald17
Emerald17

Love this! Definitely not what I expected it to smell like, but pleasant and comforting all the same. This is not gourmand to my nose in any way, shape, or form. It's a scent I would want to wear after a shower, and off to bed. I smell a delicate, very powdery rose mixed with honey. I very rarely like rose fragrances, but this isn't the obnoxious rose, nor the candied rose that you get in many fragrances nowaday. This is a classic, comforting, almost luxurious, fragranced powder of a rose that makes me feel like I've been bathed in rose petals and honey water (easy on the honey). I don't get much almonds (which I was initially hoping for), but I no longer care. I would buy a full bottle of this if I could.

Update: After a few minutes or so, I get an ever so light whiff of crushed almonds, but only because I was looking for it. It does, however, turn sweeter and more gourmand after a few hours. It also changes from powdery to dusty as well (which, fortunately, isn't a bad thing with this particular fragrance). Delicate and lovely.

hnyc
hnyc

I thought I would love this perfume, thank god for samples! it reminds me of something I wore from the drugstore when I was in middle school but i can't put my finger on it! it's definitely sweet but i don't notice the almonds, it just smells powdery to me. not a fan.

update: i remembered it! it reminds me of love's baby soft

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Praline roasted bitter almonds, this is all that is it to this perfume. Incredibly gourmand, yummy, sweet and quite heavy, I love it. There is no complexity here, and something smells terribly synthetic, like almond essence you use for cakes, but very sweetened. I don't smell the roses at all... could it be that my sample is a mistake and this is actually Amandes Orientales? It is possible, I suppose....

poivrerose
poivrerose

At first this scent is rather flat, coming across as plain sweet powder with a hint of sharp dusty rose. Reminded me of the scent of Cabbage Patch dolls in the beginning phase. I found it to catch in my throat, like when you accidentally breathe in a helping of bath powder - kind of made me want cough. I had trouble getting through the beginning without scrubbing, as I found the rose unsettling , and it kept tickling my throat. But then it warmed up, and the honey seeped through, and I caught lovely whiffs of sweet nutty vanilla laced almonds. It becomes more dessertlike and less cheap rose bath powder in the end. But still, I cannot stress enough that this is definitely a POWDERY scent. The sillage is good, like a puffery surrounding cloud. Fairly long lasting.

Savasana

I have such a love-hate relationship with this fragrance... At times I love it, I crave it, I need it... and then there are times when is simply makes me sick to my stomach, makes me nauseous and uncomfortable. Usually I can can get away with a tiny dab and that seems to work every time, but should I spray this on - I am never quite certain what might happen.

Moyra
Moyra

Good Golly Miss Loukhoum, or should I say, Pierre Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream, please meet any/all of Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum fragrances. You will have a great deal in common - because you are somehow riffing off those sweet girly-girls a bit too closely.

Although I like them both, Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum Eau Poudree wins by a soft powdery girly cloud, a few secret flowers, a more delicious, slightly sour candied flowers dry down and a few dollars less in price.
In other words, this is a more expensive, less complex, less covetable version of the masterful Loukhoums by Keiko Mecheri.

This may be a little too imitative, but its pretty, well made, long lasting, a little less intense than, for example, Loukhoum Eau Poudree but still so dashedly close, yet, alas - a fair bit less distinctive, less pink marabou feather boa sexy and less girly.

judies6
judies6

"Out of the mouth of babes": My two year old son loves me to put a drop on his wrist, so he smells like "birthday cake." He loves it!

Goldfinch
Goldfinch

It's a VERY Sweet Oriental Dream... First I got headache when I tried my sample (I overdosed it, I think, one drop is more than enough). I felt as I was in a bazaar, smelling some fumigants, but after a half hour it became a nice vanilla-honey scent and it lasted for hours with good sillage. However I prefer Vanilla Extasy to this one, I like it. But only one drop...

Jillzilla

There is something a little waxy about the scent. I definitely felt like I was smelling vanilla, but it was a plastic vanilla. If I had to identify this mysterious note, I'd say it was violet, but it's not listed, so I'm not really sure what to think.

Still, it's a sweet scent, and even though I was perplexed when I pressed my nose to my wrist, I found pleasure in the little wafts of fragrance that rose up as I tested the scent.

It had incredible longevity, and it was very potent. One tiny drop of perfume on my skin, and I could smell it through my clothing for the rest of the evening.

uninco
uninco

Definitely it doesn't work on me. To my disappointment I feel sick inhaling it. Too sweet, too bitter. Is it nuts with honey making it so heavy? I prefer Mukhallat to this one.

Aalia
Aalia

The opening is very spicy and deep, and the sillage in the opening is a weird fascinating creature! The mesmerizing opening lasts a while, and the scent changes drastically into the sugary, vanilla treat that it is.

I wouldn't say that there is talc here, sure, there is this powdery talcy bent in the notes--but it's so much more than that, so very different than "powdery"! This nuance of the scent has a life and esscence of it's own, it floats out on it's own, so distinguishable but biazrre it's hard to describe, and much more refined than "baby powder".

The sweetness, extremely powerful. The sugary sustanance here takes you back to childhood, new plastic baby dolls and Barbie dolls (remember how they smell differently from eachother-well, you get them both here in this Montale) and all the candies, cupcakes, taffy, and frostings, with edible decor on top. Just like those memories, this extremely strong scent, oddly enough fades pretty quickly, and is more noticeable the next day, on the clothes one wore, and it all comes wooshing back.

This is not "just a sweet scent. It's quite Bizarre, Peculiar, a Space Oddity of sweet perfumes.

Wow. Sweet, strong, sweet sweet sweet and powdery rose talc. It's okay, but unless worn in the dead of winter, I suspect it would become too sweet very fast. I did end up scrubbing this one, because the rose-scented powder and the strong sweetness were just so not my personality. I don't actually like it, but as far as powdery roses go, it's excellent for that. Delicate, soft and warm, like very pale pink velvet.

Kultakutri
Kultakutri

I got this some time ago, packed it into the wrong box and it took four months to find it.
Now, I was looking for something in that box full of odds and scraps and there was the bottle. I took it out, thought Whoa, now it's here, I can happily resell it, put it on the bedside table and in the morning, I woke up smelling it. I didn't spray it or anything, it apparently penetrates the aluminium bottle.
It's not a bad scent. Just very, very strong and extremely sticky-sweet. It gives me the image of running down the street being followed by a swarm of wasps. Hungry wasps.
I suppose that there'll be enthusiastic admirers but it's not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

megannsmom
megannsmom

I recently got a sample vial of this from a friend and was so excited to try it today....so excited in fact, that I spilled 75% of the vial down my arm and onto my dining room tale, which I promptly mopped up with my shirt tail. Whew.....Montale overload, LOL!! I resisted teh urge to wash it off, not wanting to waste the opportunity to give this scent a full test, as it were. Now, about an hour later I can finally stand the smell of myself, I felt I was being devoured by the honey sweetness! Only now can I detect a hint of rose and alot of almond. This scent reminds me strongly of good rich and moist flavored pipe tobacco. A scent that I love, by the way. This is a truly stellar gourmand, but if you test this from a sample vial, take my advice....BE CAREFUL, LOL!

Savasana

On me this is one of the longest lasting fragrances, but for that fact most Montales usually last forever and a day on me. This is a wonderful rendition of the ever delicious rahat loukhoum delicatesy and very similar to Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri. There is a wonderful powdery drydown that puts an emphasis on honey and almond while the rose sits comfortably in the background at this point. On my skin rose is more prominent in the opening while almonds and honey come out to play later. One of my favorites for cold weather.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

This is a sweet fragrance with a very powdery dry down. While it is a floral oriental, I find that this is much sweeter than the 'usual' oriental scent, which I typically associate with a spicy deepness. This one is great for someone who enjoys a soft and simple fragrance as it isn't complicated. It doesn't last as long as I would hope so for that reason I would suggest there may be other fragrances that are similar that you could get for much less money.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Sweet Oriental Dream fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Montale Sweet Oriental Dream, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.