Designers » M » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Maja Myrurgia for women

Maja Myrurgia for women
dislike

Maja Myrurgia for women Pictures Maja Myrurgia for women Pictures

Maja by Myrurgia is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Maja was launched in 1921. The fragrance features nutmeg, carnation, patchouli, cloves, vetiver, rose, geranium, citruses and lavender.

Nutmeg Carnation Patchouli Cloves Vetiver Rose Geranium Citruses Lavender

Maja Fragrance Reviews

pablOSO
pablOSO

Ok . I live in Mexico , and i just got my hands on a new bottle of Maja Classic Cologne ( or so it says in the box) It's really nice , an old style oriental , sadly with little to no sillage...but more or less like the drydown of opium or youth dew.... very nice , for a girl or a boy like me :)

caitlinsgarden
caitlinsgarden

I LOVE Maja soap. I have been looking for Vintage Maja on ebay. By mistake I ordered a bottle of Nueva Maja, and I can't believe how bad it smells. Kind of like shoe polish with more than a hint if something icky that I can't describe. Now I ordered Vintage Maja, and I am really hoping that this one smells like the soap!

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

This one, I am not so sure....I bought it in a little Cuban product shop in the Florida Keys, and it did not really do anything for me, I thought it was kinda bland and overly powdery, but since I was out of my signature fragrances at the time, I wore it anyways figuring it was better than no perfume. However, I got tons of compliments on it, and complete strangers asking what wonderful perfume was I wearing. So...hard to form an opinion. It is inexpensive, so if not your cup of tea, you can pass it on to somebody else and are not out of a lot of money.

muckypup61
muckypup61

Ah, the curse of differing body chemistry! When my mother wore it, I smelled the Carnation and cloves I love so much!

On me? Nothing but lavender, which I can't stand!

At least my mother was able to use up the small bottle I'd purchased for myself.

I'm wearing my beloved Nueva Maja again today. Please list it Fragrantica. xx

(Difference? No clove-y carnation, more citrus, plus a floral I can't identify)

zzMaja
zzMaja

Have been using this sent on and off for over 50 years. Not quite the same as I remember it. Perhaps because I am using the eau de toilet. I will try to find the eau de parfume in the black bottle as recommended in the reviews. The soaps are great and more like the sent I recall. I still do like it, but would love to have the original.

Naughtyvenus
Naughtyvenus

Ah finding that MAJA is still available makes me so happy

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

Aww Maja oh how I remember you and im glad your still around despite been so long !

I remember this brand fondly by my baby sitter who was wife of painter who used too baby sit me ,I remember she had the make up ,body powder and soaps of Maja and adore the aromatic scent of her when she hugged me or just be around me since it complemented her very nicely, when I was a child I thought the female depicted on the brand was her since she was pale skin, brunette and dark cow eyed too, but of course she laughed sweetly and corrected me she wasn't the girl on the box and asked me why? and I said because she looked "beautiful like you?in Spanish and she smiled and kissed me softly and laughed like thin silks as I felt disappointed because she told me she wasn't the model.

When she was away cooking , I always managed to sneak into her bedroom and admire the black and red Andalusian box with that lady on it and just inhale the powder and the mysterious scent that I adored and always was excited to see it in stores and couldn't wait to visit my baby sitter and her artist husband for more fun times together and smelling and being bathed with Maja's soaps .

When my sister worked at the boutique she knew for yrs I loved that perfume despite being a common brand and on the cheap side, so on my birthday she , my mom and my sister's boss gave me a beautiful perfume gift set with mixed goodies, antiperspirant and perfume of Nightflight by Joop , big Egoist Platinum by Chanel and 3 soaps of Maja , I was in heaven for a 15 yr old !.

This scent is very aromatic and very earthly all the way, reminds me of a earthy scent of the old world and something wood nymph and alluring gypsy would wear, it's like a low end version of Youth Dew by Estee Lauder's for they both have a earthly herby female scent to them but Maja is more a commoners beauty scent with a lot of style, just like the history of the word Maja itself, which means in central and northern Spain pretty woman or girl and Majo means Handsome
and it has its origins in Spain where the term Majas and Majos were low end artist's but had a lot of charm and grace in dress and speech .

Therefore its a perfect gift when if you enjoy earthly aromatics scents , I will purchasing this soon and Majas orange blossoms which is just divine, Ole !

mamaoquendo
mamaoquendo

I just purchased from Ebay a Vintage Nueva Maja by Myrurgia Huge 3 1/2 OZ COLONIA PERFUME SEALED BOTTLE. I have yet to receive it, but the bottle looks in excellent condition and so does the box. Maja was one of my Mom's favorite colognes. I purchased it more than anything to have something that reminds me of her. I am very excited and will post another review once I receive it.

fire2heart
fire2heart

I found a bottle at a great price and I had been curious about this for a long time, so I bought it.

The first 45 min to an hour I cannot stand it! Cheap bug spray that has me feeling a bit nauseous. But I didn't scrub it off and then it softens to a bit of a spicy carnation.

I can only wear it on my wrist though, because if any gets on my clothes, it doesn't change and then I have to change my clothes. I wish I could find some affordable vintage perfume!

sirop de Liège
sirop de Liège

Growing up in the seventies - flower power and stuff - I smelled patchouli all around. The young people were using it and the more mature ladies were using patchouli-based perfumes like Maya. I developed a strong dislike to patchouli! Maya was an inexpensive perfume, On sale in supermarkets and drugstores. Because it was so easily available it could be found in most households, I know my grandmother kept a bottle in her bathroom. My own mother was a more refined type, she used Fleurs de Rocaille and Shalimar but we did have the soap! The foto of it just brought back a lot of memories...

drugstore classics

To my nose, this scent is cold and uninspiring in cooler temperatures, becoming rapidly warmer and more glorious as the thermometer rises!

Definately worth a try in various temperatures, and may pleasantly surprise you in the heat. Whatever the inadequacies of the current formulation, to me she still glows in tropical weather!

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

I may have received this soap in the round plastic case or maybe it was my mom. Twenty years later, my mom is gone but the soap still sits in the bathroom. One day, I'll ask my dad if I can keep it. I remember loving the cloves and rose mix. I haven't sniffed it lately but will have to on my next visit. I didn't realize it was reformulated and so sought after!

Scout
Scout

*deep breath* Blind buy based on carnation and spice notes. Open package. Spray paper.
GASP
This smells like "Off" brand mosquito repellant.
Oh please oh please oh please let it not be so.
Will try again later.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

I`m wearing my new Maja lotion right now, and it smells like Dior Addict used to do!

Christmas spices (cloves) and tangerine (?), spicy rose and warm woods in a soft fluffy mix.

oliseeger
oliseeger

It was possible to find Myrugia perfumes and soaps everywhere here in Brazil. Now it isn’t (a real pity!). In my Barcelona trip I bought a coffret of Maja with a perfume, soap and dusting powder. Once I love the soaps smell, I thought that the perfume would smell the same. Well….not at all! A real cheap plastic scent about it. I’m positive that the vintage formula must be completely heavenly. Maybe some day I’ll find one on eBay. For now, I’ll keep with the soap!

Lakambini
Lakambini

I have a screw-top mini of Maja -- clear glass, with the name lettered in maroon, and the cap in black. The lady who sold it to me thinks it is more than 25 years old, so this is the vintage formula. It has a spicy, dark, mysterious opening with the unmistakeable animalic note referred to by johngreenink. I don't smell patchouli, at least not the contemporary treatment of it, but I get the spiciness of what could be carnation, nutmeg and cloves. It's a sensual fragrance, one that evokes the warm living body underneath the layers of ruffly skirts, the fitted black bodice. How sexual those prim women in their tailored suits and little hats, looking out at us from black and white family photos, must have smelled. Sadly, I register the effects of time on my mini -- the scent weakens after an hour, and becomes just a pleasant leather-smelling patch on my forearm. At least I have those few mls, which are lovingly stowed away in the darkness of my cabinet.

MissLola

This is the second time that i buy a bottle. The first one i trow away, i guess a bad old bottle?? well, i have a soap in my closed very deep underneath my close and when i put a shirt on that's been a long time underneath all my closes whit the soap my close extremely smelled clean. i love the fragrance, i have no idea what the original was, but the one i buy today is very good, it is made in Mexico haha, the one i through away was weaker and more watery, so i guess i had a bad example. about people tells it's like an old lady smell I'll never understand, a fragrance is very personally, and on everyone's skin it smells different, sometime i see an old lady (i work with older people) smell so nice, and means that then, that she smells like an old lady? what i do is ask what she wearing, write it down and running to the shop! haha. So the point of this review: i like it now and it was also very cheap!! :D :D

judyk

Fragrantica, please list Nueva Maja (which I'm wearing today and which reminds me of Madame Rochas).

drugstore classics

Johngreenink is right on target! I have a set of the currently available Maja, and this is what I find:

The new Maja edt is a light oriental, with a green, fresh Patchouli, not unlike some of the newer Chanels. I think it's a rather young scent, and ideal for hot weather. No sillage, but a nice after bath splash at a decent price. It sours on my skin, but so do the Chanels!!

Maja powder smells of talcum powder.... hmmm. There's something faintly like Emeraude to this, but nothing very strong. Save your money ~ baby powder is almost as good. ( EDIT ~ the talc dies down and leaves a not unpleasant spiciness. Not impressive, but not bad either. )

Maja soap........AHHHHHhhhhhhhh! The large round soaps are gorgeously scented, perfectly fitting the original Maja descriptions. Peppery, spicy, sandalwood - based Heaven! There's a solid animalic note here that defies description and blends seamlessly with the whole.

Now I understand why so many women are heartbroken over the edt reformulation! The round soap smells nothing like either the powder or the edt. They don't even belong in the same packaging.

Perhaps one day I will be fortunate enough to own a tad bit of the original Maja juice ~ meanwhile the soap is SOME treat!!!!

Annica
Annica

I'm very fond of little shops which are selling scented candles, incense and soaps and stuff like that. Pure heaven for my nose with all these wonderful smells. One day as I strolled around my eyes fell on the big soap bars in exclusive packaging and I just had to smell one of those beauties. Maja immediately came to my mind. For me, this is a refined and exclusive soap scent. Intense aroma from the bottle but when applied on the skin it´s very soft and comfortable with gentle spices playing around in the background. Nice!

johngreenink
johngreenink

Maja is one of the MOST deliciously musty, dusty, rosy, powdery, sharp, step-back-into-the-past scents around. I do not know what the current scent smells like, but if you can find a vintage bottle of the eau de cologne or eau de toilette, and you're someone like me who takes pleasure at such ancient scents, you'll adore this. This is one of the sharpest orientals out there. Although it's not listed in the notes, Maja has a very animalic quality as well - smelling it, I'm reminded of that strange but alluring smell of old lipsticks; a kind of rich and oily scent more akin to ambergris than anything. This is a scent that perfume historians could love, it has such an historic quality to it.

I've always loved all scented things made by Myrurgia, which I trace back to my first trip to Spain when I was in college and bought some shaving soap from El Corte Ingles in Barcelona. The smell of that soap stayed with me for years. I notice that Myrurgia puts just a hint of sandalwood in everything they make, giving their scents that quality of the orient and north Africa that is distinct to them. Glorious old stuff!

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I got a quite vintage bottle in an estate lot and didn't realize it said Nueva above the Maja until I looked closely and the light hit the small gold lettering. It is light green and has no strength listed on the bottle. I applied several times and it was still light, so I'm thinking cologne. Still it lasted reasonably well, I reapplied at about 3 hours and it made it through the rest of the day. Marvelous, I thought it was quite musky, which I love. It reminded me of Vivre, a lot, at least in parts of the dry down. I put on some of both and found them similar. Of course, it is discontinued and the Maja has been changed, so both are finds to treasure.

babel
babel

If only the Puig group had realized the need for historical information on all the perfumes they have under their umbrella... Provenance, marketers! Provenance sells!

Could anyone comment on the various commercial phases of Maja? - Bottles, boxes, types of bottles, color - yes, color, - did different color represent a different formulation or degree as other houses do now (EDC, EDT, EDP, P), was it ever sold as a refill at the pharmacy, as other colognes did, etc.

I have Maja from 1980 - which I would categorize as from the 1970's decade, Maja from 1999, still made in Spain, and very recent Maja - made in Mexico. The perfume is quite different. The new Maja perfume is almost identical to the soap scent, the old soap scent, but not to the old perfume scent.

The 1980 perfume has an enormous sillage for its perfume type, and a lengthy drydown. The newest perfume has very little sillage and almost immediate and quite long lasting drydown effect. That said, I truly like the new incarnation of Maja, maybe not necessarily as a typical perfume, but I spray it on my sheets and even shirts I wear at home for a deep scent of 'clean'...

My 1980 Maja is a warm yellow, but yesterday I received (ebay find) an old Maja which is green. I have never seen a green Maja. The scent was a tad different than the yellow out of the bottle, a tad stronger with lots of clove jumping out. And reading the comment of cherookeeginie and swedishclare I now recognize it as the Nueva Maja. Swedishclare how did you find out it was introduced in 1960? Any more about that?

Anyone knows when did Puig move the manufacture of Maja to Mexico?

Could anyone possibly post pictures of the various commercial phases of the perfumes? - Bottles, boxes, types of bottles, was it ever sold as a refill at the pharmacy, as other colognes did, etc.

Please give the new formulation another try with a different twist. Use it as a fabric freshener or personal space atomizer by spraying it on a piece of fabric. It is divine. As I wrote before, it has almost no sillage, at least on me, so it is wasted as typical perfume. But precious as a fabric refresher. And it is cheap enough (thankfully) to allow such "extravagance".

buren
buren

I'm lucky: I found a beautiful box of original Maja & two soaps in my favorite thrift hospice thrift store, unopened & fresh from Spain.
When I opened the bottle (o rapture) it was like smelling roses & spice in warm Mediterranean sun...sunshine...
Yet it is not heavy or cloying; it dries down to a gentle warmth so that I enjoy wearing it without overwhelming my friends.

swedishclare
swedishclare

Thanks to Cherokeegenie for helping me identify what I have! I have just acquired the Nueva Maja perfume, launched in 1960 and aparently left to languish in a Swedish warehouse ever since. It's a vivid green liquid in a dab-on bottle, and the opening literally made my eyes water and sent my mind back to my grandfather's cologne - spicy and a bit soapy.

One hour on and it's still spicy and soapy, but mossy green and close to the skin - definitely nothing like the sweeter modern perfumes I'm used to. My nose isn't practised enough to really identify any separate notes (sorry), but I think this will be fantastic in hot weather and certainly unique as a woman's perfume. It still smells a little like my grandfather, so I think I will have to work on wearing it places where I can gain different scent memories for it!

joliecat
joliecat

Reading your reviews, I bought the original Maja spray. The original MAJA is a warm, soft spicy, subtle, very slighly dusty, beautiful floral scent. First spray seems strong, but quickly settles down and softens. Cloves, nutmeg and vetiver give it character and patchouli aids in longevity. The spices are well blended into the florals to create an overall mild softness. Maja isn't overpowering, and the spices don't scream or attack. Maja is soft, totally feminine, clinging close to skin. Perhaps layering it with the original soaps and body lotion would make it last longer on skin ? Sprayed in hair, it lasts about 6 to 8 hours.

Compared to Cafe Cafe, Maja is not as sweet and fluffy flowery as Cafe. Maja seems to be a richer blend, more grownup, more womanly, not girly.

Maybe some day I will try the new reformulated version of Maja, but ONLY if I can think of the new version as a completely different fragrance. Unfortunately, Reformulated classics are not at all like original classic fragrances.

Cynthia77
Cynthia77

Just ordered two bottles of the old version. Yep in two sizes, 50 ml and 25 ml (for in my purse). Plus: showergel and bodylotion.
I love the smell of the Maja soaps!! <3
Can't wait to spray it on. Review will follow!

cherokeegenie
cherokeegenie

I have to add my two cents about Maja...first, there are two distinct versions. One comes in a clear glass bottle and the label says "Nueva Maja"..the fragrance is green colored and then there is 'Maja" that either comes bottled as above or, in a black bottle with a gold cord (the Eau de Parfum version)I found out the bottle is actually a deep gorgeous purple when held up to a light. The green version is more like a chypre fragrance and the black bottled (or one above) is more spicy with carnation and lavender notes prominent. The new ones are nothing like the vintage fragrances, especially the black bottled EDP..it is richer, and more long lasting, like most vintage fragrances are, before the perfumers replaced the natural fixatives with chemical ones. I LOVE the black bottled EDP..and it reminds me of a lost love long ago..when I want to remember him I just spritz some on my wrist and dream :))

missan
missan

This is not for Maja, it´s for a vintage Maderas de Oriente I managed to find. First impression, a natural wood heaven. I´ll be back.

Peachply
Peachply

I have a soft spot for this, as a young girl my local pharmacy was a bit specialized and had many exotic and intruiging perfumes, soaps and powders. I was always fascinated by the woman on the box with her flamenco dress and fan. Will always like this scent even though it has it's problems...nostalgia is the word.

I should put this one in the dislike because the new formula is awful. Many years ago there was this cheap perfume sold in a coffret with soap and it smelled deliciously spicy and powdery, very exotic, feminine yet elegant somehow. Now it smells like harsh after-shave with some powdery hint. I cannot understand these change, especially because this one had quite a number of fans.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

Maja is a very attractive, unusual and seductive fragrance that almost smells masculine to my nose. I bought the body lotion at a local drugstore and that smells very nice, but softer and smoother than the liquid. I remember the soaps they used to sell wrapped in black tissue paper with a picture of a Spanish woman dressed in a long black lacy dress holding a red fan; very kitschy, but nostalgic. There is also a wonderful men's fragrance by Myrurgia called Madras. The only place I've seen it is in Mexico City - I assume it is also still sold in Spain. Madras is a wonderful masculine woodsy fragrance with a heady bouquet. It reminds me of two vintage fragrances: "Woodhue" and a cologne by Avon discontinued long ago called simply "Leather." Madras is worth seeking out.

Talia
Talia

Today’s version is like a cheap imitation of the real one, but I still like it. Only for me in private, definitely not for public I do not understand why they do not invest for more expensive ingredients, as this perfume has so many fanatics, ready to pay 15 times more to have the luxurious original..
That is a good example for wrong strategy of a firm.

Daisy1925
Daisy1925

I liked this perfume. I bought a bottle cheaply, about $11 for 1.7 oz. at a Latin drugstore. I love it! I was surprised because the soap was underwhelming. It smelled great on me as I walked around the store. It does not smell cheap, just unique. There's nothing I can compare this to so I didn't add anything above. It's spicy, yet has staying power, not cloying or overwhelming, with a slight citrusy base perhaps. It just blends well with my body chemistry. Which, when you think about it, is what it all comes down to, subjectivity and relative experience with scent.

Also, just want to add, I loathe the term, 'old-ladyish,' to describe a scent. You do realize that in the grand scheme of things, one day these trendy fruity scents will seem 'old lady' to someone else and the old lady will be you! ('You' being the guilty, unimaginative souls who describe perfume in such a way.) Shame on you, my teenager could school you in how to appreciate all kinds of fragrance. And she wears Coty's L'Aimant.

Abyss1001
Abyss1001

Interesting thing about this...I have always LOVED the Maja bath soap...since childhood. When finding out about the fragrance, tried it and much to my surprise, I found it more "soapy" than the soap itself! I'll stick with the soap instead...LOL

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I'm thinking I'll use this for layering when I think a frag needs a bit of smoke and incence :) I really dont get much more, and even that is somewhat light

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

just got this, cheap, and not sure what to make of it, there is definently something appealing about it, but at the same time, something a little bit disturbing..lol, I'll get back after some more wear and thought :D

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I don't know what the original Maja smelled like so I can't comment on that. However, the one I have, which I assume is the reformulated, is unlike any other fragrance I have. I've been wearing it for over a week so I could think about the scent because so many people say they do not care for it. It starts off really strong(at least the husband says so)so now I spray it into the lid and dab it on but once it calms down, it is really exceptional (after a couple of minutes). It doesn't fit neatly into any category. It's not flowery, not classically oriental, or musky. At once, it has a citrus-y masculine scent, then a burst of flowers comes from nowhere, then woody spicy incense. Even after several hours the different scents will reappear for a time.

My husband really likes this one. I asked him what he thought of it and he said it is like from a different time but is not old-fashioned or "old-lady-ish" although I may comment here that one needs to remember that just because we smell certain scents on older women does not mean that these women were always old, know what I mean?

I think that since Maja is hard to pin down, people may have trouble liking it because you don't know what to expect. I really, really like it for being so unusual and it is really pretty in all it's facets.

This fragrance certainly has character, which is something I always look for in fragrances and is sorrowfully lacking in many newer fragrances. I feel bad that many of the women on this board miss the old Maja and I can certainly appreciate that. All I know is what I smell and this fragrance is interesting, pretty, and complex.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

Bought it this autumn (September 2011) in Spain, it was very cheap here, about 5-6 euros for 1 oz. May be someone likes it, but it is not my kind of scent. Salty, spicy carnation. I also feel a kind of light aldehydic notes here. I think it is for very mature women, may be because about half of the town where we lived in Spain wore it and they were the old ladies, who constituted the majority of tourists at this period.
If you are interested where exactly you can buy it in Spain, pm me. But, please remember, it is a modern version.

EK
EK

These reviews are sad reading indeed.
My mother wore Maja, I wore Maja as a young girl, and we always took it home from holidays in Spain.
Spain was the ONLY place it was availble back then, I think! (ironic, huh?)
My memory of the scent is vague now, but I remember it as a spicy, hot, mysterious, spell-binding fragrance. Obviously that's not the case anymore.

Vamy69
Vamy69

This is a nice oriental. Not too strong. It is nothing earth shattering put it is nice for fall or winter.

cornflakes
cornflakes

The mother of all orientals! It is ancient, but such a classic, it will never become dated.

Kiku
Kiku

What did they do to this one?! The original Maja was an enchanting combination of cloves, nutmeg, and carnation with a wonderful soft, dry, powdery drydown. It was subtle and complex. It was mysterious, exciting, and the most seductive perfume ever. Now it smells like cheap watered down men's after shave. The packaging is still beautiful but that's the only beauty left of it. The worst, absolute worst, reformulation ever.

scentury
scentury

My earliest memories of this wonderful perfume was when my family would go for outings and my mother would always dab this on her throat and wrists.
I used to inhale the scent deeply and imagine that I was in a garden full of roses and geraniums opening their sweetness under the morning sun.
I tried hard to find some more when my mother ran out of this perfume.
It was during my honeymoon in Hong Kong that I finally managed to find another bottle of Maja. I took a spray on my wrist and inhaled- Ah! Bliss! My more developed sense of smell detected the smell of nutmeg and the friendly vibes of rose and carnation. During the drydown, the vetiver gradually creeps in, giving the perfume its lovely powdery, earthy smell.
Needless to say, my mother was so happy when I gave her the Maja. To this day, 15 years later, it still stands on my mother's perfume shelf, together with her bottles of Rive Gauche, Diorissimo, Chanel No.5, L'Air du Temps, etc.
My heart skipped a beat when I spied this on Fragrantica; could it be that miracles still happen?
Upon reading the reviews, however, I was quite saddened to find that they have radically changed the formulation. Alas, some good things never last...

doxology
doxology

The perfume (or at least, the only version I can get) is an appalling cheapie that does something nasty to my sinuses, but the SOAP! Love it. Fill my undies drawers with unwrapped cakes of it and use it in the shower. It has a wonderful, clean flowery fragrance even before lathering.

Erodiade
Erodiade

It is very funny, because I read,

'Ironically, Maja is marketed to the Latino community-hence the flamenco dancer on the box. I can only think of Victor/Victoria and the Shady Dame from Seville...'

and the funny thing is that it is a Spanish brand, with flamenco dancer lady or whatever you want...but it is not marketed in Spain!!!!

It was our granny's perfume, but now we cannot get it in Spain!!!. I grew up with this scent but now I cannot buy here, so I have to buy at ebay, usually to USA. So, I do not understand very well what is the meaning of 'latino community', but for sure it cannot be found at Portugal, Spain, Italy, France or Romania. Latin community at USA or UK can buy it easily...but not us!!!

It is true, there is a reformulation that do not keep the fragance as it used to be. now it is stronger and sometimes I feel it very 'rude', 'rough', which disappointS me, but still keeps its original spirit.

Otherwise, we have another MYRURGIA scent in Spain that can be the MAJA's heiress, but it is not at the database, it is EMBRUJO (something like spell, or charm if translated)de Carmen Sevilla. It has a lovely bottle, and i think it is the most similar regarding to the 'spirit' of MAJA.

guest_FragranceJunkie
guest_FragranceJunkie

The Myrurgia brand is now owned by PUIG.
Their address:
Puig, S.L.
Travessera de Gracia, 9
Barcelona 08021
On the site is a contact/comment form where one may request that the old formula be reintroduced.

peeachediva

I MUST ADD SOMETHING that I thought was REALLY ARCANE. Continuting from my previous review, her is what I thought was REALLY strange. When I went into the stor in COlumbus Ohio to buy the NEW Maja before I found my old one from 12 years ago, I tried the TESTER in the store. I wanted to make sure I still liked the fragrance. STRANGELY enough, the TESTER smelled like the MAJA from many years ago. No lime, no butch man smell. IT WAS WHEN I TOOK the one home that I actually BOUGHT that the man smell was in it.
I really felt like this was dishonest of either the company that made the tester, or the company itself. I don't know, maybe carnation which adds ( to me) the cool sweet overtone of non invasive spice is more expensive these days. But LIME?????
Also on a lot of the sites I have been in, and I've been in HUNDREDS since I last wrote, in places that are still selling MAJA but showing the NEW VERSION, they are still describing it with the same notes. There have only been about ONE or two that have actually UPDATED the notes and described 'citrus' and spicy tones in the fragrance. Another thing that happens is that places have had the old MAJA picture up but when you go into their site to buy, you see the NEW maja bottle, and so you know you are out of luck. This is really frustrating.

MY SUGGESTED TO MYRURGIA company since I know you've made MILLIONS of these new bottles and formulas:
THIS WILL HELP YOUR BUSINESS.
1. Label the recent version as the MEN's VERSION and then
2. CREATE the OLD VERSION again that you did many years ago and have it as the WOMEN's version.
REALLY.... you'll see a lot more of us MAJA people buying again. AND, you'll be able to have it in more stores in the US.

I bought mine at a PERFUMANIA... and like I say, the TESTER smelled like the old one, and even DRIED DOWN like the old one, but then the one I took home was an AFTERSHAVE.

I've tried to find a site where I could actually write Myrurgia, but to date , no luck. Might be user error on my part.

IF anyone finds a site where we can actually write these people, put it in a review and maybe if enough of us write them, we can create a win win situation, where we'll get our OLD maja back, they'll be able to sell their stock that they made in the NEW maja...and we'll all rejoice and be glad in the scent of heavenly maja.

peeachediva

OK, I must definitely make a distinction. Actually, there are two 'Majas' out there. If you want the good smelling one, the one that is described in the Fragrantica website, then you have to get the OLDER version. I.e., anything that is labeled 'vintage. I wore Maja for about 10 years, and stopped several years ago because I couldn't find it int the stores anymore. ( This was before 'online' was even a concept.). Recently, I have gone to stores such as Perfumania in the malls and such. The terms 'new' accompanied the versions that I saw there. I was really excited and bought one. UNFORTUNATELY, it seems to have been severely revised. At first it seems like the 'old Maja', but quickly, I smelled a LIME note, like you find in MENS products. I thought this would dry down, but then as it dried down, it got worse and worse. I have a VERY good sense of smell, and I knew there was DEFINITELY something different.
I went into my closet and THANKFULLY found the old Maja that I knew from years ago. We're talking about TWELVE years ago. Yes, I found an unopened box from TWELVE YEARS ago.

I opened it today and sprayed it. IT IS ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL and beautiful as I remember. For the heck of it, I sprayed a version on each of my wrists. When My husband came home from work, I asked him what perfume he liked best without telling him what they were and that they were actually different versions of the same thing.
YUP, you got it he picked the VINTAGE MAJA. Yes, the OLD one is beautiful. Absolutely feminine, mysterious. Similar flavor to Dioressence, but without the green notes.
You smell the cool sweetness of the carnation and then the rounded spiciness of the cloves in a BEAUTIFUL mix of mystery.
MYRURGIA, PLEEEEEEEEZE Go back to your old version of Maja. This new one is really NOT GOOD . Even some men don't like it to wear.
Thank you for reading this. Believe me, if you've never smelled the old version, try the soaps if you can't find the old version. Make sure the SOAPS are the old version, too. I mention the soaps because they may be easier to find in thee older version.
I still have SOAPS from 20 years ago in my dresser drawers and my clothes STILL pick up the scent.
Good luck, and Good Scents!!!!
I love the FRAGRANTICA website because it has a BROAD VARIETY of scents and gives information about the notes, categories and various elements of perfumes. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FRAGRANTICA!!!
Mygrura, Go back to making the old Maja, you'll sell more!!!!!!!

MissLola

I was in the drugstore today and my eyes catch maja edt, i bought it, was cheap and the soap of maja i use in the bathroom. Wel i get home and get a shower it is very hot today (Holland) wel after using it, ít smell's like soap, but it's light i smell the nutmeg and the rose that's all but is is so light i'm a bit disapointment :( but okey i've got it, it stands nice in my collection ;) I don't know the old version, but if they change the formula of a parfume it is always in a bad way !

eezepeeze
eezepeeze

Ok, what IS that note, that delectable, spicy note? I smelled the rose right away. Then, do I smell beeswax? Do I smell my grandmother's rose-shaped bath soaps that I was never allowed to use? Well, I've got that top note figured out, but what is that spicy oriental note? So, I just got this in the mail today. I know that I like it, but I haven't figured out why yet. It is such a familiar scent, like something from childhood. Perhaps my grandmother wore this to church. I think I need to do a little more sniffing to figure it out.

Sissi
Sissi

I remeber 13 or 14 years ago i'v recieved a colonge splash version of this perfume. and i remeber it was more
spicer Stronger with more Incense and more Peppery and i fell in love with
the scent and i coudent wait to get it
again when i finished the splash.
and now i got a mini size of the perfume
i was so Dissapointed they changed to formula they made it watery Mens aftershave. i coudent belive it.
what happed to the Maja! they made it tame! I want to Fire back To the Maja
The old Formula Add more Cinnamon
Civet Leather Incense Benzion.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Yep!!! Smells like Barbasole Aftershave! NASTY, BETTER USED ON A MAN THAN A WOMAN!

jujy54
jujy54

I hate, hate the reformulation. Old Maja was a carnationy, spicy sexy fragrance. This just seems like cheap aftershave. No resemblance at all. :(

gesch
gesch

Oh boy - this has to have been an almost obscene perfume, when it was first introduced. with the old formula(which I would love to smell once) the ladies back then surely were bold and brave!
while with todays formula it certainly has an aftershave-edge - as already stated in other reviews.
carnation, nutmeg and clove are strong, and thankfully it's not heaavy but spicy and vintage (on paper it's awful, sprayed on, it thankfully develops).
the initial whiff is almost bland.
the drydown on me, too turns almost soapy, though I ,really like the clove note!
maybe the vetiver?

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

(review of vintage EDT)
It's definitely a decent oriental classic, but I hate patchouli, so I can't love this scent. I have a mini that I won in a lot of miniature perfumes on ebay. I wear it time to time for a change, since I like all of the other notes, it's a feminine classic that manages not to be too dusty--and it doesn't dry into something less pleasant.

Maja by Myrurgia 3.87 out of 5 based on 167 ratings and 57 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Myrurgia Maja fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Myrurgia Maja, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Maja by Myrurgia. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Maja by Myrurgia represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.