Designers » N-Q » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Trayee Neela Vermeire Creations for women and men

Trayee Neela Vermeire Creations for women and men
dislike

smoky
Trayee Neela Vermeire Creations for women and men Pictures Trayee Neela Vermeire Creations for women and men Pictures Trayee Neela Vermeire Creations for women and men Pictures

The Vedic tradition suggests that wisdom is eternal. It exists within the eternal fabric of consciousness itself and is uncreated. It is the essence of India, the beginning of the journey. It is a eulogy, a hymn to the idea of India, an act of deepest reverence for the traditions of the mother country. the divine origin of the first three Vedas - Rig, Yajur and Sama - suggested the name of the perfume: trayee (pronounced ‘try-ee’, meaning ‘the triad’).

Trayee is a complex fragrance that represents the boundless spiritual landscape of the great Vedic period, which started many centuries ago: its intricate rituals and temple ceremonies, ayurveda, the universe of yoga and the holistic quest for knowledge. the perfume itself has a high percentage of natural ingredients used in many of the Vedic ceremonies.

Trayee was created in 2011. It was launched in the USA in January 2012. The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour.

Ginger Cinnamon elemi Black Currant Basil

Jasmine Sandalwood Saffron Clove Cardamom

Vetiver Patchouli oak moss Virginia Cedar Amber Incense Vanille Myrhh Agarwood (Oud)

Exultat

Trayee Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Delicate, natural ambery-vanilla base surrounding a beautiful dense accord of jasmin, fruity notes, ginger and resins, all perfectly balanced, sparkling and colourful like a pavé diamond. Fresh herbal-earthy base notes of patchouli and basil, with just a tight but rich heart of darker notes (oud). Rich and textured but not cloying, in fact it's all lively and graceful. It eventually get more dense and vibrant as minutes pass, also more resinous and spicy, reaching a splendid peak of savoury richness with a bold balsamic feel. A really evocative, aerial, vivid, romantic and "pictorial" scent, although not that distinctive - more "really good" than "great". It is complex, in a perfect Duchaufour style, but still you can easily "see" each note and accord on its own. The projection is a bit more closer to skin than you may think, and the drydown is long-lasting, mostly comprising a cozy and warm resinous-balsamic accord – which eventually gets a bit medicinal. To be really honest the drydown is a bit disappointing, as this final accord you get is a bit generic and weak – especially if comparing with the greatness of the initial stages. Strangely I feel the oud is very light here (which is a "pro" to me!).

7,5-8/10

Chromatic
Chromatic

Trayee is an incense fragrance of such monumental beauty that I find it difficult to parse. Wielding a wide panoply of notes that range from spice to fruits to wood, Trayee nevertheless feels streamlined and elemental. This is due to its roots in both religious ritual and ayurvedic medicine, but that list of notes keeps one's nose entertained for hours, seeking the basil, the ganja, and both the Javanese and Haitian vetiver. Without a doubt they are all present and accounted for, but so smooth is the composition that each one simply fuses onto the fragrance in such a way that what you smell is far greater than the mere sum of its parts.

If one had to name a benchmark incense fragrance, Trayee would be it; there is none of the gray clouds or sour smoke of so many other compositions. Trayee is restrained and as disciplined as its roots should require; when a note advances it does so gently. Such is the course that nearly every note follows, until the wearer is lost in the harmonious relationship of one note to each other, and, more importantly, to the whole.

Trayee intially gravitates towards the spicy and the green, with a non-foody cinnamon note mixed into a "green bud" ganja accord that makes me smile in its humidity and edge. Details soon accumulate: lively ginger note with its clean sweetness meets a brilliant cardamom absolute in an ornate complexity that defies language but not smell--smoky facets are as present as grounded, oud-based facets. This is a perfectly balanced fragrance that transcends, in my opinion, perfume and takes on a homeopathic facet. I feel more grounded when wearing Trayee and it is the only fragrance I can say that about.

In general, Neela Vermeire Creations sources and uses the very finest ingredients available and it is very evident when one acquires an olfactory library from which one can make comparisons-there is no doubt that NVC holds to the highest standard. The brilliant overlapping of earthy, floral, and green notes in Trayee is a case in point. Of my many incense fragrances, Trayee is an easy favorite; it is just smoky, sweet, and earthy enough to elevate itself beyond a mere incense motif into something more complex--it is a feeling even more than it is a fragrance, and it feels marvelous. That it is hard to pin down, note-wise, only adds to its allure. This is a major swoon.

Tarleisio
Tarleisio

I'm a bit baffled by the previous reviewer's comparison to Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant, for Trayee is quite simply one of the most evocative, calming and numinous perfumes I've ever encountered.

So naturally, I had to run to find my sample of Jungle L'Elephant, and while I understand some of the similarities, it's a bit like comparing handwoven and embroidered Kanchipuram silk with 150-thread count bargain basement cotton. The Kenzo is so much cruder, ruder and louder with its dragon's breath of cinnamon, and Trayee is infintely more refined and restrained.

A luminous blend of spice, fire, woods and incense and if Orientals or any of these materials make you run for the hills then Trayee likely won't change your mind, but if like me you love sandalwood and incense and all that is truly sacred - after all, that's where all perfumery began a few thousand years ago - then somehow, Ms. Vermeire and M. Duchaufour managed to wrap up both emotion and connection and turn it into a perfume that sets an astonishing standard for a perfume that straddles a fine divide between the East and West, as all the NVC line do. Yet it never compromises - neither on the quality on the ingredients nor on its overall concept.

Longevity is outstanding and the sillage is literally divine - isn't this the kind of fragrant epiphany we all say we're searching for but don't encounter nearly enough? ;-)

I tried and tried to judge Trayee on its own merit, but I can not get the thought out of my head that it smells nearly identical to Jungle l'Elephant without that awful heap of hot cinnamon that smothers the wearer to death along with anyone who is in the same room. It has the same spiced vanilla custard in it that I found to be the only redeeming quality in Jungle l'Elephant.

Trayee also reminds me of my beloved Aedes de Venustas, created by the same nose, which was interesting because Aedes contains an intense cassis note. So I double checked the pyramid, and I am surprised to see black currant as I simply didn't realize the note was in here.

The incense upon application reminded me of Timbuktu (also the same nose). It's an airy smokiness and perhaps a bit green.

Because Trayee reminds me of too many other perfumes, it fails to inspire any strong feelings in me. While I think it's a really nice fragrance, I don't think it warrants the hefty price tag. I think more highly of the other perfumes I mentioned above (except for the Kenzo), and yet they are more affordable, and they don't remind me of each other.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Stimulating, clarifying, meditative, calming. This is the last scent I'm sampling tonight. I'm hoping for revelations or divine epiphanies in my dreams as I deeply inhale Trayee's ethereal vapor.

A transcendental fragrance with curative notes. I especially love the elemi and encountered it noticeably for the first time in Guerlain's LIDGE. I think in that review I described it as peacefully euphoric, and it is no different here--a little citric and balmy.

Amusingly, Trayee softens into a fragrance evocative of a blackcurrant ginger-spiced ale, aged in a wooded barrel parched with sunshine and salty beach air. So perhaps instead, tonight I'll dream of El Diablo cocktails on a Tunisian beach.

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

I ordered a sample of Trayee intrigued by the reviews and not remembering who the perfumer was. As soon as the wonderful opening of spices and incense passed I thought: Oh, this is Duchaufour's work! It shares a lot of notes with some of his Artisan scents and gets cloying a bit. It must be some kind of Duchaufourade since someone quite inexperienced like me can tell it's his creation. However, it is very well made, very charming (a part from the obvious and predictable drydown) and I just wish the incensey opening part could last longer. That's how I actually feel about a lot of Bertrand's creations especially Seville a l'Aube.

I have a small sample of 3 scents and Trayee is my fave. It was so long time I didn't feel my nose with great sandalwood! It is much more than linear sandalwood, but it's all so packed together in this perfume, all the notes so stuck together... at the end it smells just like glorious mellow sandalwood on my skin. I love it.

Wooddogs3
Wooddogs3

This is probably the best spice-oriental I have ever worn, and I'm a devotee of the genre and own a lot of the vintage greats. I hesitated to buy a decant because I had read about the "Ganga accord" and I dislike the smell of MJ, but I find Trayee so beautifully integrated and balanced that no one accord stands out. I had to have a full bottle, no choice about it.

suzrwin
suzrwin

I love Neela Vermeire and think she is an absolute perfume genius. That said, Trayee is my least favorite of all her scents. It opens with a gorgeous spice-infused incense, and if it would stay right there, it would be a love match. Unfortunately, my chemistry takes amber and turns it into a Very Bad Thing, a screeching resinous wail that makes me want to scrub. If a scent note were art, amber would be Edvard Munch's The Scream.

It is not Vermeire's fault, of course. Her perfume composition is brilliant, and my body chemistry imperfect. It is unrequited love, if you will. So, Trayee falls to the bottom of my Vermeire list, but with Bombay Bling, Ashoka, and Mohur to console me, my scream of disappointment will be short indeed.

katrin1128
katrin1128

This is one of my new favorites. What a rich scent! The only problem is that they should have gone with a better spray cap, especially for the price paid. There's heavy scent leakage and there's always an oily residue on the bottle where it joins the cap. When I open my perfume cabinet, all I smell is Trayee (not a bad thing to smell but nevertheless). I think I might have to tape the bottle or it will evaporate far too quickly. Or I might put the non-spray cap back on (it came with both spray and non-spray) to keep it contained.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is such a stunning scent, a Duchaufour masterpiece in my opinion. The opening notes are heavy spices with a fairly heavy animalic undertone which you may not like initially, but give it time. This one develops into such a beauty. After about 30 minutes to an hour you will smell the most beautiful currant and spices with florals and woods coming in the base notes. The ginger is in the background adding a freshness but does not stand out awkwardly like it does in some fragrances. This is the best perfume I have ever tried with oud. The oud is barely discernable as an individual note but as a part of a seamless whole it is stupendous.

After wearing this scent for a few days, it does go to a skin scent after about 4 hours but it's still definitely there. I will be re-spraying because I love a bit of sillage. The bottle is big so there's plenty for re-spraying.

I still think this is worth every penny I paid for a full bottle. As Keats said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." That is true of this perfume.

Carestinus
Carestinus

I find Trayee wonderful, delicious, great great great!

I'm afraid I wouldn't wear it since it is totally feminine for my taste but it's a pleasure to spray some on my arm and smell this for hours and hours. It stays looong and it's truly charming. Well blended, gorgeously composed... an oriental goddess indeed. I hadn't been this content with an oriental since my beloved Arabie.

Outstanding work (again!)Bertrand.

Tillhora
Tillhora

This fragrance is absolutely sensational, a masterpiece, but definitely not for the faint-hearted or anyone who isn't totally sure of themselves. Like Estee Lauder's Knowing, this truly is a POWER fragrance - if you're going to wear it, you need to own it totally, otherwise it will own you.

I can't imagine anyone other than a mature, confident person successfully pulling this fragrance off.

Knowing has been my signature fragrance for a very long time, but I'm now deciding whether its been deposed by Trayee.

This is the most expensive fragrance I've ever purchased for myself but I love it, love it, love it - worth every costly cent I paid for a 55ml bottle.

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

Trayee is a very calm and composed fragrance. I am reminded of Serge's Cherugi with a good heaping of the old candies "red hots" while testing. The woodiness is rich and full of flavor with a little sprinkle of cinnamon that keeps it from being too serious. There is nothing loud, in your face, harsh or citrus here. Incense is what they call it, oh it's classy alright.

The quality of the ingredients is front and center. The woody notes combined create a bold and deep elegance while the vanilla levels the smoothness. This would be completely wearable on a cool and sunny winter's day.

I think this would be a good fragrance for a casual social gathering, maybe game night at your best friend's house or for a second date on a picnic in the park. Since these types of settings don't happen ever day it could be reserved for special occasions.

This fragrance reminds me of the way my dad used to smoke a cigar, not very often, only on special occasions, and savored to the very last drop!

Thank you for gifting me this sample FGM #10!

ajblondie
ajblondie

I ordered the Discovery set as I knew that I already loved and wanted Bombay Bling so I thought what the hell, in for a penny, in for a pound.
I did not xpect to like this at all, it has incense in it, not a note that I find particularly pleasant or wearable for me, what a surpise I got with this, the incense is not like a 'churchy' incense at all, instead it is much sweeter and lighter.
I know that Trayee is reviewed by most bloggers as being the gem and after sniffing it I can see why which leaves me with a huge dilemma, I want a full bottle of this and a full bottle of Bomabay Bling, oh what to do????

ineverwas
ineverwas

Trayee is absolutely gorgeous and quite probably my favorite incense/olibanum perfume. Every note in it is in perfect balance with the rest of the composition, a charming orchestra on which the smoky-sweet incense and spicy ginger dance together a flawless waltz.

The myrrh and incense here are not reminiscent of a church interior, like most perfumes featuring these notes tend to be. This incense is playful, sexy, spirited and has none of the solemn heaviness of Roman Catholicism. The myrrh is soothing and inviting, almost sensual and the ginger is spicy and mischievous as always. All in all, the effect is surprisingly sexual, in the best of ways.

A harmony of aromatic notes give character and ampleness to the whole composition: jammy blackcurrant, fresh cedar, rooty vetiver, aromatic basil, nutty cardamom, bitter saffron, sour oud... all singing together in perfect accord until the drydown, which reveals the amber and vanilla at the very base.

Trayee is a brilliant creation - Bertrand Duchaufour is surely a genius of perfumery! I whole heartedly recommend all 3 perfumes from Neela Vermeire, each of them is a wonderful work of art. But I think Trayee is probably my favorite and a must try for all perfume lovers.

cryptic
cryptic

Trayee is a stunner. I guess if you combine a talent like Bertrand Duchaufour with a bunch of premium ingredients like oud and Mysore sandalwood oil, excellence is to be expected, but still, I was wowed.

If you're familiar with CdG's Avignon and Kyoto, then you know what magic Duchaufour can weave with incense, and Trayee has plenty of incense. It also has the kind of opulent spices and woods that I associate with the Amouage frags. The sandalwood in Trayee is the gorgeous kind that you seldom find these days now that the tree has become endangered and Polysantol is the rule, rather than the exception.

With all that olfactory luxury, you might expect Trayee to be over the top, but it isn't. It is gorgeously serene and dignified, and it reminds me of Aishwarya Rai, the Indian actress who shares those qualities. Highly recommended, especially for fans of incense, sandalwood and materials of superb quality.

Thanks to Fragrantica and Neela Vermeire Creations for the lovely sample. I will be trying the other two NVC frags, no question.

Danrich
Danrich

Woody, warm, spicy, balmy, smoky, honeyed ginger, moss and light basil that comes out.

Starts off like a sweet celery, weird, then settles into its saffron, clove light suntan lotion fragrance that's addictive.

No one has this yet in the US but Lucky Scent that just started to carry it this late Jan/12

Sample of 0.7ml was a steep $6. $260. for 55ml Jesus!

OK but it won't be my signature scent real soon

gamos
gamos

I ordered the try out package, with samples of all three fragrances, and I liked Trayee the most. The insence blends in with the oud, ginger and the cedar wood (these ingrdients I could smell the strongest)and remains for along time. The other components build a beautiful background, like in a well done painting. I think this one is really a master piece. Congratualtions, Neela!

Trayee by Neela Vermeire Creations 4.51 out of 5 based on 118 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Neela Vermeire Creations Trayee fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Neela Vermeire Creations Trayee, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Trayee by Neela Vermeire Creations. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Trayee by Neela Vermeire Creations represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.