Designers » N-Q » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Gotham Neil Morris for women and men

Gotham Neil Morris for women and men
dislike

leather
Gotham Neil Morris for women and men Pictures Gotham Neil Morris for women and men Pictures

"This fragrance is based on a memory of a summer night out on the town in New York City in November! It was unusually warm and overcast and a bit foggy and the atmosphere had a sense of mystery and things hidden in the night. All in all, a magical evening" (Neil Morris).

Gotham begins with Top Notes of Black Pepper and Yuzu that merge with Heart Notes of Rose and Narcissus. The Base includes Ambergris, Myrtlewood, Russian Leather, Amber and Labdanum. Gotham was launched in 2008.

Yuzu Pepper

Rose Narcissus

Amber Myrhh Leather French labdanum

Madame X

Gotham Fragrance Reviews

Baseeta
Baseeta

At first it seemed kind of screechy and harsh, but as soon as it dried down, it smoothed and mellowed out. Narcissus seems to be up and taking a bow, but I'm not the greatest at identifying notes.It's definitely changed to an assertive floral, mellowed by the Amber and Labdanum, then at last turned to a velvety, dark suede. This has a vintage kind of feel, without being even a little bit frumpy.

Bandit
Bandit

I get a strong strong rose, the one I really love: Not the green one, but the fleshy one, that's abit dirty. To me very rose dominant. As Rose de Nuit is the best rose ever created (for me :)), I really gonna play more with Gotham... maybe this gonna be a FB some day.
---
I ordered the samples maybe 4-6 years ago and now I really see, how my nose developed and I am able to appreciate NM frags much more. All the frags I smelled are strong, stinky and really like from a bygone era. Vintage lovers should look deeper into Neil Morris frags, if you ask me.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

So strange, and so good.

If you have the kind of mind that can't read the word Gotham without thinking of Batman, you may not be barking up the wrong tree. To my nose, Gotham opens with a strange, almost ominous cold wet clay note that is shiveringly compelling and makes me think of the Batcave, hiding underground in the wet. Almost immediately it shifts into a leathery, peppery accord that could be Bruce Wayne's discrete personal scent-and then it hits you! Animal raunchiness galore! Batman has been out cattin' tonight, and Selina Kyle, rarified sex incarnate with a whip in her hand and a touch of amber behind her ears, has had her way with him. What will Alfred say?

Thus far, the best fragrance I found in the Neil Morris' range. A leathery / ambery oriental with chyprey/musky facets. It could easily be one of those *french* animalic florals from the 80s. Dark, velvety and kind of gothic too yet not particularly distinctive...

Nice though...

deadidol
deadidol

A complicated and involved fragrance that hovers somewhere between classic perfumery and the present. Up front is a lightly peppered citrus that recalls masculine aromatics, but it’s paired with a leather and something that reminds me of cardboard (not norlimbanol). These notes converge into a rich, leathery amber that’s warm and evocative, yet also quite dark and moody, calling up images of the underbelly of high society. It does smell a tad home-spun, I suppose, but that’s generally a positive thing in my book as it tends to infer the breaking of rules. Gotham stands alone, perfectly reflecting the city of its namesake in which one can be surrounded by millions of people yet remain totally anonymous.

leathermountain
leathermountain

Aggressively animalic, to the point of making me feel sick to my stomach. Whatever else this fragrance may have to offer, I'm not even able to find out.

beth54
beth54

I have to admit that my knowledge of niche perfumes is very limited and that I came by a bottle of Gotham in a blind swap. I had no idea of what I was getting, but was pleasantly surprised! I had never heard of Neil Harris, but if Gotham is an example of his fragrances, count me in as a true fan! This fragrance lasts and lasts on me-which in itself is miraculous This fragrance is very complex and I enjoyed the full 18 or so hrs. it lasted on me! I am interested in sampling more of this Neil Morris line of fragrances if Gotham is any example of what to expect from him! Definitely happy I have a FB! Had thought I would put this up for swap, but I can't! This one is a keeper!

antfarm
antfarm

This is a very complex fragrance that goes on smelling earthy, aldehydic, and very French in feeling. This is a scent for grown-ups, no doubt about it. While I can appreciate the complexity of this fragrance, it doesn't make sense to me, and it doesn't suit me, personally.

It doesn't remind me of anything goth, nor does it remind me of Gotham City from Batman, so I don't really get the name. It reminds me of femme fatales from the 40s, and hardcore business women. This could be the scent of the gorgeous, yet semi-evil Lilah from the Angel series! Yes, I could imagine this scent wafting down the hallways at Wolfram & Hart

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

Yuzu at the beginning. When it dries down, it projects some amber on my skin, kind of spicy amber,with a hint of rose, which is very beautiful. I can't detect much woody note here. For me,
It's great for winter.
It's worth saving up for, and
It makes me keep sniffing my wrist.
That's all I can ask from one perfume

I really like it, but I have to wait to see if it likes me :)

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Right from the first spritz I fell in love with this! It’s sweet and fresh and woody in a truly unique sort of way. It’s like citrus and sugar and freshly cut, sappy pine with just a touch of root beer. To me, this doesn’t smell like a menacing city, especially not one as dark as Gotham, home of Batman. Instead, it smells like a sunny day at a small sawmill in the middle of green fields and living forests. The myrtle provides a strong, camphorous note. It’s evocative, but in a happy way, not a sinister one. It dries down into a beautiful amber scent. Gotham is yet another FB-worthy fragrance from Neil Morris.

The opening reminds me of Ysatis for some reason, but I try to avoid top notes anyway, so it's not that much of an issue to me. The drydown is a great "dirty" vanilla. It's more of a blended fragrance, so don't expect to detect a bunch of notes clearly. In some ways, it reminds me of my vintage Tabu, but that one is not leathery like this one. The animalic note here does not have the softness of civet yet it's not as harsh or astringent as castoreum, so I guess that is the ambergris, perhaps combined with leather. For me, it's not up there with the great fragrances of the 1980s, since it lacks complexity and note separation, but it's natural smelling and interesting, while providing a pleasant olfactory experience for a long time (with reasonable projection/"sillage"). If you don't like fragrances that have a "musty or "old lady" quality, don't bother to even sample this one.

Ms Koko
Ms Koko

I love this, the black pepper opening really tickles your nose, then it darkens and deepens with a fabulous long lasting dry down. this would be equally good on a man or a woman.

sfsassy
sfsassy

Gotham is sexy man in a bottle. Very leathery and rich. Overall very complex.

Starts nicely vintage with a black pepper kick and sense of formal aldehydic floral, but ends with that unfortunate medicated foot powder scent I sometimes get with vintage types. Too bad. Well blended, deeply layered and intriguing before that unfortunate final.

veruska
veruska

Gotham is the first that i ever tried of neil morris huge collection and i find it extremely intelligent.I bought a full bottle but i feel that i have to the right mood to wear it. Sometimes is magical but sometimes it feels stuffy and menacing. Still puzzling stuff.It starts as a green almost pine-y but sweet citrus and gradually becames one of the most dark gothic ( fantastic name by the way) roses i've ever smelled!Musky and with a spoon of salt.To die for!Aw it dies a strong leather note emerges, very sturdy and rough.This scent is not easy to wear but is at least truly unforgetable

rebella
rebella

I strongly suspect that Gotham is the illegitimate child of L'Artisan´s Dzing! and Tauer`s L'Air du Desert Marocain. It is strong so you better spray in the air and walk trough... It starts off very leathery, dark and with some citrus. After a while it become more and more flowery, but also musky in a very animalic way... I can also smell some resin in it. This is a perfume to put on when you are about to visit a hard rock-or some strange fetish-club... or when you wish you did, but didn´t dare to...

If you have problem with strong and a bit tacky perfumes, you should stay away from this one I guess...

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Neil Morris Gotham fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Neil Morris Gotham, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Gotham by Neil Morris. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Gotham by Neil Morris represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.