Designers » N-Q » Chypre « Groups

Vie de Chateau Nicolai Parfumeur Createur for women and men
dislike

herbal
tobacco

Vie de Chateau is a fragrance inspired by the gardens of Cheverny castle, originally created for the Prince Sigalas, a friend of Patricia de Nicolai in 1992. Top notes: grapefruit, fern, grass and herbal notes. Heart: vetiver, tobacco and hay. Base: patchouli, leather, oak moss and musk.

It is available in versions eau fraiche (30 and 100 ml) and intense (100 ml EDP).

Grapefruit Fern Grass Green Notes

vetyver Tobacco Hay

Musk Patchouli oak moss Leather

Vie de Chateau Intense

Vie de Chateau Fragrance Reviews

Redbeard
Redbeard

This falls into what I'd call a unisex sweet, smoky green hay category, almost like a variant of Devin that's been semi-feminized with florals, or Richard James plus smoke. Interestingly enough, LuckyScent considers it masculine, so the Basenotes directory is wrong either way; I'm assuming LS decided this because a lot of the earlier florals seem to be violet. Mostly it's tobacco on florals, which isn't really my thing (in fact normally I hate this) but it's well-done for what it is. Ultimately it reminds me of incense, but of the more floral, less woody or spicy bent, and stays away from the moldy or musty character of Tsar, which I also place in this family. It's still too floral for me, but if I were forced to pick a masculine floral, I'd easily take this over a lot of the heavier ones that get such rave reviews. Still, I'd ultimately prefer to go the pure violet route with Ajaccio Violets.

jht4060
jht4060

Parfums de Nicolai Vie de Chateau succeeds brilliantly in evoking the freshly cut meadow at my little chateau on the Loire. The top is fresh cut grass and sweet hay, followed gradually by slightly deeper scents but still evoking a meadow and the nearby woods. The fruity note at the top that others mention smells to me like sweet hay. To my nose there is only a subtle leather, which is good because I don't think strong leather would work well with the other notes. I have been disappointed by a few PdN perfumes, but this is another masterpiece - bravo Patricia!

I have read that, in preparation for releasing an "exclusive" line (to my dismay), Parfums de Nicolai is renaming a number of their perfumes by adding "Intense" to the end, and that is what I have - I think it is the same as without the Intense. Also mine is the not the "Eau Fraiche" that Fragrantica confusingly gives as the picture.

Majesty
Majesty

A very unique creation by Parfums de Nicolai,Vie de Chateau opens with fresh cut grass and green notes.On my skin I cannot really detect hay,I am familiar with hay and I would like to be more intense here. I think that the grass note and tobacco hide its beauty. The leather note is soft,more like suede leather.I would characterize it as dry chypre,classic creation for those who like dry green scents like Chanel N 19,Arden's Blue Grass,Ysl Y..Not really a scent that I could wear,it makes me a bit nauseous after a while..Overall,it is unique and artistic.Good lasting power too.

tymanski
tymanski

this is an extrapolation of the original diorella vibe - chypre with just slightly skanky fruit with a big caveat - a dry hay note that sticks around forever. wow! classic yet very relaxed construction and an all-year standby. great 9/10

noori
noori

It opens with a beautiful fruity note, but not the typical light&sweet variety, rather a deep and rich one. I think the grapefruit with the hay adds it all up to this wonderful opening.

Later it becomes a bit dry, but still wonderful scent, now even deeper and richer, thanks to the oakmoss and leather. The slight patchouli just crowns it for me. Definietly a favourite, in any weather.

cryptic
cryptic

This is sort of embarrassing, but Vie de Chateau is like an aphrodisiac for me. It reminds me of sexy times on a summer day in an open field out in the country: crushed grass (vetiver), clean sweat (grapefruit) and pheromones (musk, leather). I walk around smiling like an idiot whenever I wear it, it's so beautifully upbeat and sexy in a healthy, sunny way. If VdC were a woman, it would be someone like Reese Witherspoon or Carrie Underwood. Bonus: for a niche frag, the price isn't too painful.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Starts out sweet and melonish-peachish fruity, slightly soapy, slightly green, and strongly chemical-metallic. It’s an odd combination. I suppose the chemical-metallic note has something to do with the tobacco accord, possibly combining badly (to my nose) with the green grass and fuity-floral components. Generally, I dislike “fresh-cut grass” scents, including the real thing, so that accord may be one of the reasons I’m put off by the opening.

As it dries down, the odor of sharp, metallic, macerated green stuff subsides, leaving a pleasant, sweet, fruity-floral scent. I don’t smell citrus at all, but rather something sort of like weak dried peaches. After about an hour, what is left is a very nice, soft chypre base. That part I really enjoy. The whole thing lasts only about 3-4 hours total. Not really my style.

Kterhark
Kterhark

My first wearing was absolutely glorious. I skipped along in thoughts of Ivoire de Balmain while humming the tune 'What a Wonderful World'. This was the day I moved from one third floor apt to another. It was a hot day, and yes I was stinky. But Vie de Chateau was up to the task, so I was up to the love; made more so by not having to smell myself.

But enter day two. Today was a cubicle day. A cotton shirt with no sweat stains day. Oi, what a difference. Vie wore like a wet sock, and I found myself wondering what the hell happened.

This just tanked. I agree that its an herbal chypre, and I think it's the citrus thats making this sour. Is it my sample? I don't know. I get no grass, no mouth watering hay, no leather. Boo. I even reapplied at night time, hopping for a come back, but truly this smells like a wet, herbaceous disaster.

Moving on...

jtd
jtd

(Vie de Chateau Intense.)

Vie de Chateau tucks neatly into the citrus chypre genre, with connections to Diorella, Eau Sauvage (compare the very first sniff of each side by side!), Moustache and its own sibling Weekend a Deauville. It has that fresh sophistication that citrus chypres tend to have.

VdC’s smart twist, though, is that it has a strong note of hay that ties it directly to the fougère and indirectly to leather chypres. The hay note is a bit nut-like at first, but eventually pulls VdC toward a dry dark, base that is the perfect conclusion to the crisp yet disenchanted spirit of the best citrus chypres.

Ms Koko
Ms Koko

Love it. It has a great melon note in the beginning before settling down to a more traditional cologne structure. Probably more suited as a masculine fragrance but I loved it. - Very refreshing.

Taxidermy
Taxidermy

I really love this creation. Definitely my favorite from Parfums de Nicolai. It opens with the smell of fresh cut grass, a dash of grapefruit and a hint of leather. Later it mostly smells like hay with a little of vetyver and moss. Vie de Chateau is modern and classic at the same time, though easy to wear. Definitely unisex. It's a perfect choice for women who like interesting, non-sweet, masculine smelling fragrances.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Nicolai Parfumeur Createur Vie de Chateau fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Nicolai Parfumeur Createur Vie de Chateau, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Vie de Chateau by Nicolai Parfumeur Createur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Vie de Chateau by Nicolai Parfumeur Createur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.