Designers » N-Q » Chypre Floral « Groups

Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women

Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women
dislike

Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women Pictures Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women Pictures Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women Pictures Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women Pictures Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women Pictures Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women Pictures Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle for women Pictures

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle is a chypre floral fragrance for women. Niki de Saint Phalle was launched in 1982. Top notes are artemisia, mint, green notes, peach and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, patchouli, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, cedar and rose; base notes are leather, sandalwood, amber, musk and oakmoss.

Artemisia Mint Green Notes Peach Bergamot

Olympic Rainforest

Niki de Saint Phalle Fragrance Reviews

Maodo
Maodo

So excited to try the EDT, so baffled after I did. This is not my cup of tea. All I smell is cloying sweetness. I can't get rid off this smell in my nose. Maybe the EDP is much better for me? Or should I be more patient and wait. Until lady artist Niki de Saint Phalle shows me her real face. I strongly hope she does.

Edit: Unfortunately she didn't. At least not to me :-(

luna rebel
luna rebel

I am writing this review in hopes that it helps someone else with the same question I had regarding the differences between the current EDT and EDP formulations.

My first encounter with Niki was the current EDT formulation in the little cylindrical blue bottle. I sprayed this on and immediately got beautiful green notes. However, within 10 minutes the green notes completely dissipated and I was left with a harsh and nearly nauseating powder smell. At this point, the fragrance grew very linear and the powdery smell gave me a headache. I tried giving this several wearings during different seasons and got the same result every single time. Gorgeous lush green notes for the first ten minutes, followed by a brash poorly blended blast of powder which projected monstrously and stayed linear throughout the entire life of the scent.

However, I would not give up on Niki, since I fell in love with the green opening. I decided to try the current Niki EDP formulation. Now, this was a blind buy. I tried asking around the forum about the differences concerning both formulations, and did not get an answer. So, I went ahead and splurged $60 on a beautiful round glass bottle of the Niki EDP (which incidentally also came with a gorgeous atomizer sprayer). I thought the worst case scenario would be that I would just keep the bottle as a decoration.

But I was shocked, surprised, and astounded. The EDP was NOTHING like the EDT on my skin. The differences were astronomical. Whereas Niki EDT came of as harsh and messy, the EDP was well blended and smooth. While the EDT was all powder, on the contrary the EDP was much more complicated and green. Now I finally understand the comparisons of this fragrance to a lush forest! Now I smell my beloved cedar note and dewy green landscapes. Hallelujah! No more suffocating clouds of harsh dated makeup powder. Finally, I am able to understand Niki's true beauty thanks to the wonderful EDP formulation. On my skin, the EDT and the EDP are truly worlds apart. The EDT hated me. It wore me, and not the other way around. I felt like I was an imposter trying to wear a scent which completely contradicted my tastes and personality. The EDP is truly glorious, refreshing, green, and perfect for the extreme summer heat we experience here in AZ. It's not harsh nor overwhelming. It's noticeable and has great longevity, yet it does not offend or overpower your presence with a could of scent.

I urge anyone who expresses interest in this fragrance to try both the EDT and EDP formulations. One may work much better on your skin than the other, as this was the result I experienced. In my opinion, they are two different fragrances and perhaps skin chemistry plays a large role in this. Likewise, if you are like me and hated the EDT formulation, please give the EDP a chance. I am glad I did!

athenian
athenian

If you like Knowing and L'Arte di Gucci you will appreciate this one. Very potent.

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

Intriguing, sensual, moody.
This brought out that crazy sour note on my body that makes me wonder what in the world I eat or do that causes that to happen! I wanted to love this. I am GAH-GAH over the blue bottle. It is a collectors item in itself. Very Parisian and artsy looking.
I do sort of grasp the Olympic Rainforest comparision. I lived in the Olympic Rainforest on the WA peninsula.
It often smells of dank, dark earth, moss, mushrooms, saltwater, low tide, musk/civet from all of the racoon & skunk spray, black-berries, oak, cedar, resins, mercury/metal. It makes sense and all of the elements combine into a lush woodsy masterpiece that just didn't work on my skin.

If you like this, try Avon's Mesmerize...they are perfume parallels in more ways than not.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Unique.... a lovely masterpiece.

lonestarlola
lonestarlola

grayspoole and Joshua CB - "Deep, somber and lovely" and an olfactory version of "Nocturnal Me" are dead on.

This one doesn't get worn much by me down here in Texas. This is a nighttime perfume - deep, dark night in the deep, dark woods. It's also for winter, and sometimes for Fall if it's not too warm. This is a 40f and below fragrance. It's just so heavy, like putting on a cloak before stepping out into the moonlit world. Deepest evergreens, moss, old and wise, and yet something very warm and alive and feminine quickening under the surface. Like the future promise of Spring as the evergreens stand there alone, waiting and waiting and remembering. I love it.

The best way I can describe it is this: I picture myself on a moonlit path at the edge of a wood. I'm very small against the trees. I have a mission to accomplish of great importance - gathering herbs, or maybe just getting to the other side, as that is no small thing in and of itself. It's a magical place full of hidden beauty, but also the promise of beasts and pitfalls and other unseen dangers. To go into the woods means being ready to face whatever comes into the path and charm it, outwit it, fight it if need be. But the myriad wonders of this place await you as well, if you're heroic enough to make the journey. I only wear this one on the cold nights when the wind howls and I'm feeling particularly heroic. It's always rewarding.

grayspoole
grayspoole

I am wearing the Eau Defendue in the round zodiac bottle, and I am loving this beautiful scent. The mossy green notes, bitter wormwood, and fresh cedar are tempered by some light flowers and just a drop of sweetness. I do not perceive the presence of either rose or leather in this perfume, and those are two of my favorite perfume notes. If you like chypres, you might enjoy this, It isn't weird or medicinal, bitter or bone dry, just deep, somber, and lovely.

mymlan
mymlan

I would probably have loved Niki de Saint Phalle if it wasn't for my nemesis the leather.

I love everything about the lush opening, the grassy patchouli, the carnation, the woods and the light touch of fruits. But then after a little time it arrives with it's sharp, sour and inevitable strenght.

After it's arrival I can only smell green leather eventhough it softens after some time. I have the same experience with many adorable fragrances that I had to sell or give away: La Nuit, L'Arte di Gucci, Chanel no 19 extrait and so on. The leather simply outrivals all other notes. So for that reason Niki de Saint Phalle not going to end up in my wardrobe.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Niki de Saint Phalle, Niki de Saint Phalle vintage EDT
I once had an instructor say that all good art should elicit an emotional response. It doesn’t matter if it’s a positive emotion like awe or acceptance, or a negative emotion like fear or hate. Art that has an emotional impact is good art. Personally, really beautiful art, art that is painfully beautiful, makes me weep.

Niki de Saint Phalle is among the best of the best. I acquired a vintage EDT in a blind swap; knowing nothing about the fragrance nor the designer except that it had a cult following and that it was vintage, which was enough to make me want it. I really had no idea what was in store for me.

This fragrance is so beautiful I want to weep. I cannot believe this fragrance hadn’t crossed my path before. It’s so unbelievably green and lush, but also vibrant and unbelievably colorful. On my skin, the carnation arrived first wrapped in green and mint. The heart was a perfectly blended leather, cedar, artemisia and orris with a hint of fruit. The drydown was sandalwood and a mossy green with amber.

Years ago, I went to Niki’s sculptural garden Queen Califa’s Magical Circle. At that time I knew nothing about the artist, not even the name of the park, but I knew I had never seen such beautiful structural mosaic before! The pieces were so colorful and whimsical that I remember them clearly to this day. Now that I’ve worn this fragrance and I’ve experienced her beautiful mosaic sculpture in the park, it all makes perfect sense! This fragrance really is a liquid interpretation of those glittering vibrant joyful mosaics. Niki received the artistic equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize in art, and what she created in tile, mirror, and concrete, she has recreated in fragrance. This is absolutely exquisite.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Just got a new vintage edt bottle, little strange green start for a minute with powdery drydown, long lasting, easy to ware, nothing scary there, however i swaped it shortly after, waiting now to try a new perfume from Spain.

picasso_x
picasso_x

Master piece one.Very good unusual.I love green note from one.it has a character, I'm man but it's good smell on me,and long lasting too.Bottle is good design I love to wear.Try it.

LadyKath
LadyKath

This was definitely love at first sniff! I bought it when I was 16 or 17 and ever since I have loved it, adored it, dreamed about it!
A mystic and sophisticated scent and very spicy.
Love it so much!
Though it may not be my all time favourite it's one of the best fragrancies I know of. A scent I can't do without. Lovely with a huge personality and even more so in the winter with snow outside ... it kind of brings the scent to life when it's cold and damp ...
Another masterpiece - special and unforgettable!

stormyla
stormyla

I am a lover of green fragrances but Niki has never been one of my favorites. I had two bottles back in the mid 80's. One was EDT and the other is the fabulous dual snakes parfum bottle, which I still have. I never finished the EDT but gave it away.

I liked so many things about this fragrance, it had so much going for it, particularly the leather, sandalwood,mint and carnation. What I think ruined it for me was the funky Artemisia.I do remember that the mint was very prevalent from start to finish. It's been a long time since I have smelled this fragrance on someone else. Nor have I ever smelled any of the newer formulations. It may no longer contain Artemisia.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

This my friends is what I have been looking for! In search of a scent that smelled of a walk In the forest, I have found it! It reminds me of hiking Mt. Raineer in late spring, green ferns, ivy, the pine trees and the damp earth under foot. I applied it 4 hours ago on the back of my hand, since then I have gone swimming and taken a shower and there is still the lingering scent of orris root and a little rose. I definitely see how this can be a masculine scent, it does remind me a bit of the Miracle L'Aquatonic cologne I share with the husband, which has gorgeous notes of fern in it. The oakmoss is amazing,a classic scent and the bottle is to die for!

suhaesa
suhaesa

maybe a bit too masculine a bit too medicinal ..earthy dusty heavy..a greenish note..it reminds me of au de soir..a mature cent
i just retested this beautiful hidden old school gem..a long lasting deep perfume..
i found myself appreciating it more and more it has a hidden beauty a mysterious woodsy oriental opulent side perfect for layering ..i was wearing amuge jubilation and sprayed niki and omg it was a sudden beautiful blast of beauty..
those who like drier perfumes such as au de soir or gress or pier balmain ivorie will like this ..

edt 100 ml
perfume ratting 4 out 5
bottle ratting 4.3 out 5
my own personal liking 3.4 out 5

wbp
wbp

Such a strong stuff! Too mature for me, sorry but i can't stand it!

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

There was something almost cursed about my attempts to own and wear N de St. Phalle. Two different vintage parfums came to me spilled. Many small bottles found at flea markets of the edt smell like nothing at all or else were turned. When able to dig up a precious drop, I did note that the vintage version has a rich leather and amazingly complex herbal and greenhouse quality: very witchy potion and apothecary stuff. At last I was able to find one of the 'eau défendue' series (does that mean 'water of protection?') which is not quite vintage but one of the earlier less watered down reformulations, or so consensus says. I can finally wear this enough to get a real impression of the edt.

This incarnation is soapier and greener than the original. Clean but tinged by madness: like someone very engaging with OCD. Lingers forever. Can be sprayed a bit loud since it's not extremely 'perfumey.' The ceder, artemesia, pine, and carnation nod to the masculine like the namesake artist herself wearing oversize Dior men's pullovers while painting. A solid candidate for everyday wear, energizing, inspiring both daydream and action with the green and chypre elements, and absolutely more stylish and off-kilter than Silences, Molinard de Molinard, and other similar but lesser scents. Honestly this could constitute a more relaxed, less bitchface version of Ivoire. For those days when primness is too much bother and the kook can't be contained. So you doff the white dress or better yet paint all over it. It does also remind me of Halston a good bit but less sex, more daytime.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Niki de Saint Phalle was the first "real" perfume I bought...I was a teen, not yet old enough to drive or only barely old enough, and my mother disapproved very strongly of the purchase. At the counter where I was testing perfumes, she protested my desire for it. I had not seen any marketing for it, nor had I known anyone to wear it; on the contrary, it was completely outside of my provincial experience. She felt, I think, that it was not a genteel scent and certainly not suitable for a girl my age. I persisted. I bought it with my own money, despite her manifest dismay and disapproval. She drew up her mouth. I handed over a pile of five and one dollar notes. I took it home, wore it in tiny spritzes daily and more generous sprays on dates. It suited me, somehow. I didn't really know exactly how i smelled, but I knew that I smelled different than my female school-mates. More...mature? Moer complex? Not so sweet. I LOVED IT. I still have an unholy respect for the chypre genre...I think it's time to search out a new (old) bottle of this, for auld lang syne. I found it intriguing then and I still do. Green and growly, earthy and intricate, bold and remote. Opposites that embrace. Very me...

Osusanna
Osusanna

Very herbal to my nose. I really like it but I think it can be difficult to wear because it is easy to overspray this one. I find that if I am careful with the amount on my skin it is really lovely but quite different from what is out there in fragrance right now. There isn't a chance that I'll run into someone who is wearing the same thing! It reminds me that someone who likes gardening would also like this perfume because it smells quite earthy and piney but on a very deep level, like when a spade overturns damp earth in the spring. This is beautiful and well done in composition, a nicely blended fragrance and unique.

ladywildswan
ladywildswan

I love this scent... but understand the fear that it inspires in some. It is not for the shy or timid. It is strong fragrance that enters the room with. Not subtle.

I reminds me of Christmas...

Very vintage in scent. Used to smell this one around the house quite often circa 1989 - 1992.
Powdery, mossy. Smells like an old leather handbag containing a powder compact that's been sitting in an attic. Kind of a waxy, lipstick rose note in here as well.

Lumiere
Lumiere

This is one of my favourites, however I have blind purchased it based on reviews and Niki's personlity/. I was not dissapointed, it's a sillage bomb and a very distinct perfume to my nose. It smells with velvety moss, it is so different and potent. I think it is mysterious-one of my reasons to buy it was tagetes note. I can distinhguish it as well. Since then i bought another bottle and another round shape one from ebay. I think it will definitely stand out as unrecognisable in modern crowd, unless you have history with this perfume. I don't, so for me it's new experience and no one from my environment dare to oull it off.

Ouch!
Ouch!

This one isn't for me unfortunately. It opened quite nice...lots of greenery and herby smelling notes. But the whole underlying "Classic" smell just isn't my style. I can appreciate it for what it is but the Chypre perfumes that were made in the early 80's don't sit right with me.

So as I said..the opening is very interesting, I like herby scents and this one is deffo that! It's quote a strong blast too and I got a bit worried thinking whoa..this i gonna knock people out.

However by the time I got to work this has settled into something more smooth but still VERY calssic smelling, I jsut cna't pick out anything individual and it smells like alot of other things from the same time. (this must just be my unexperienced nose with perfumes of this style) It smells like Azuree by Estee Lauder to me. Same kinda vibe..

I'm afraid I'm just not as seasoned in this area...

I thanK JB78 for sending me the sample though!

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

If I could be faithful to a perfume, this could be the one. This is so me, it is more me than me. This is the imagery that came to mind earlier when it was newly on:
I am outside and in the near distance there is meadow filled with blooms and scent. But, I am walking into a forest that I have to part the vines in order to enter. It is much cooler in the forest, and smell of damp earth, trees and green foliage prevails. As my feet sink in the compost on the forest floor, I turn to see the sunlight on the wildflowers.

I got moderate sillage for several hours. I can still sniff it out on my wrists and it has been 11 hours. This is very unisex, and it is exquisitely beautiful. I wish I could swim in this.

damama
damama

My husband bought this for me in the early 80s. Been wearing it every since. I never have this scent on without being asked what I am wearing. I love the way the scent keeps changing as the day goes on. I wear it year round. I definately don't think it is an old lady scent.

nikitajade
nikitajade

I get this musty, old attic smell from it...possibly the oak moss. That scent certainly holds it's charms but not in a perfume. I can't get any of the other notes, possibly I'm too distracted by the smell of dust. Old books, that's the closest I can come to describing this.

cacraine
cacraine

Maybe oak moss is just not my thing. If it seems to be the star of the perfume it smells old and stale on me. I can see where if you have the right skin this perfume might evolve into something beautiful, but on me it just smells sharp and woodsy...and maybe a little dusty ..like an old book.

Vamy69
Vamy69

Good stuff! Earthy, spicy and sensual.

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

I read all your reviews and then decided to blind buy this one. Shut the door! This is fabulous. It's a rainy winter day in California and this perfume is just perfect for this weather. Love all the woodsi-ness in this scent and I agree, Niki would smell great on a guy, too. An extra bonus is the bottle - beautiful!

truffles
truffles

Ooh, now this is a strange one for me..I've been dying to try this one for so long (thanks muchly to icekat for the decant).
I've just applied some on my hand and at first sniff, I am very much reminded of Silences by Jacomo - very green.
Very quickly though, it morphs into something which brings memories of Giorgio Beverly Hills Yellow to my mind.. not necessarily a bad thing.
I 'should' absolutely adore this - the perfume type, the era, the bottle (and as with Casmir, thankfully no hint of the abhored carnations!) - but I'm circling it warily, doesn't feel quite 'me'.
I'll revisit this one.

lovemygirl
lovemygirl

I've been wearing Niki de Saint Phalle since the 80's. It's my signature perfume. I'm told all the time how good I smell. Strangers will stop me and ask what I'm wearing and where they can buy it. I was wearing this when I met my significant other and it's all he he wants me to wear. I *LOVE* Niki D and will wear it forever!

ducktuck
ducktuck

Smooth, warm woods. I love this and get compliments from it often. Would smell great on a man.
I smell the cedar and musk the most. Has good sillage, and lasts all day on me.

pdxhb
pdxhb

On my skin, this has a quality like the dry-down on vintage Molinard de Molinard; about which I am elated because I have been looking for something exactly like this.

I love green scents but my skin tends to eat those notes making it a difficult thing to find. In this case, the green start is quickly subsumed by the softer edges of the peach, jasmine, and woods/resins. The balance is wonderful; as this stays nicely soft like the scent of woods after the rain. Dare I say, it has a very similar quality to Apres l'Ondee on me with greater presence and complexity.

Progression moves from sharp green to a soft floral- and resin- tinged green. It is really compatible with a wood fragrance that's more linear (I just happened to be testing Ava Luxe No 23 at the same time). Will test this a few more times but for the price, it seems very FB-worthy.

Many thanks to MsMaryO for the sample!

Niki is a typical buttery green perfume like Halston & Norell! I think it is a nice perfume, but to be honest, I Love Halston more!

kells0s
kells0s

Very off-putting at first..reminded my of my grandmothers house, made me think of cleaning supplies- as it dries and mellows it remains sharp. this scent ha dto grow in me...I like florals more than trees, but my youngest son loved this scent and used to steal it from my room and spray his stuffed animals with it. It sure made the house smell good! I used an entire bottle with his help, but I'm not sure I'll buy it again...

Eos
Eos

Review of Vintage EDT:

This fragrance was not what I expected from the reviews below. Perhaps there is a distinct difference between the vintage formulation and the current formulation?

Upon first application, vintage NdSP, is dominated by clean orris root, oakmoss and a hint of citrus. After an hour heart notes briefly appear in whispers of scent: rose and carnation are the only two I can decipher. Finally at about 1 1/2 hours after application this scent dries down to an fantastic warm cedar, gentle leather, oakmoss and musky scent.

My personal impressions of are of clean, chic refinement and elegance, not the haunted/enchanted forest vibe that many note below. I wouldn't call this fragrance "green". I feel the richness of the patchouli underneath the more prominent notes, but I don't actually smell it.

Sillage: about 15 feet
Longevity: 10 hours on my skin
Unbelievably well blended, it ALMOST wears the same from start to finish. Wearable by both sexes IMO. There is something very swoon worthy about the way this smells. This is the perfect scent to wear to an event where you want to stand out in a crowd in a good way.

i think this would be great for spring. this is sweet, yet clean. a bit old fashioned, but nice. i like it especially after it dries down. its a powdery musk and mossy floral. the lasting time is very good about 6+ hrs. on me.

I've found a new love for chypres, particularly ones of this kind. I love the green crispness that these fragrances tend to convey.

Some people may be quick to brand this as an 'old lady' perfume, but I think not. Niki de Saint Phalle is a classic but not in an old-fashioned sense. Green chypres, are in my opinion, timeless.

This fragrance is something that can be worn all year 'round. It's mostly green, mossy powder with hints of tropical fruits and dark, mysterious leather. It's a complex scent, one that keeps me guessing. In some ways it requires a certain air of sophistication to pull it off, but at the same time, it is a relatively easy fragrance to wear.

The scent itself is unusual, perhaps even a touch exotic. It reminds me slightly of Dior's Diorella, though perhaps not as Summery and bright. There is a darkness to Niki de Saint Phalle which is quite addictive and alluring.

The sillage is moderate, and although the longevity could be more lasting, it still lasts relatively well on my skin. I'm surprised to see that this fragrance sells quite cheaply, especially online, which draws me to conclude that this fragrance is an unexpectedly good bargain.

anadykas
anadykas

It smells cheap, old fashioned and I do not like it at all. I t was a blind buy, lucky that I did not pay a lot for it. I have the same experience with New West perfume, same style. My doughter criticise me for wearing old lady perfumes.I try to like it but I cannot.

jtd
jtd

I thought I’d love this fragrance. Dark green chypre . I’d read a lot of comments from fans. Risky. Strange. Exciting. Maybe the parfum is different, but I only know the edt. NdSP hits the notes I should love (green, mossy, bitter) but doesn’t really do anything with them. The top notes are strong, but indistinct. As it evolves, NdSP starts to seem more unsteady. It’s got some of the right stuff, but what seems like haphazard composition and uneven editing make it seem both out of proportion and simple at the same time. The seams are showing. Not long into its evolution, it gets patchier and then falls apart, and oddly, the only interesting parts ---the bitterness, really (moss, tagetes)---fade and a vague resinous sweetness remains.

Proof that we’re not blind fans of any particular genre and that artistry in composition matters.

Christy2198
Christy2198

I really wanted to like this perfume. I think I just cant do chypre floral or it may be the oakmosss. It just never made it past the tree-rot stage for me. I waited and waited and hoped it would change into one of the wonderful smells that i kept reading about. On the plus i got a sample and didnt buy a full bottle.

Citronella
Citronella

A lovely new acquaintance. More green than mysterious to me, a very well blended and easy to wear chypre.

Fiferstone
Fiferstone

JUST got this today (tester that was being sold at a discount at a fragrance outlet, 2 oz almost 95% full), and it's gorgeous. At first spray it seemed very soapy and powdery to me, but now that I've given it some time to develop I'm getting the patchouli, sandalwood, and oakmoss. I'm a huge fan of chypres as it is, (I'm going to have to get Mitsuko someday soon) and the somewhat soapy/powdery top notes at first put me off a bit. Now I'm glad I took a chance on it.

dmdipentino@verizon.net
dmdipentino@verizon.net

As a guy..., I love to smell this scent on a woman.
It's so refined and sophisticated and not too sweet nor too spicy.
Actually, this is one of the first scents that I really couldn't pick out the notes. It's just blended so well.
Just something I know I love on almost every woman.

olga1780
olga1780

Niki is one of the most mysterious perfumes I ever experienced. Reminds me of a tropical forest right after the rain. I think it's mint that gives it a cooling effect and makes it perferct for the hottest weather. I don't get any leather, but I do detect carnation and oakmoss. Overall the notes are blended so perfectly that none of them jumps out at you.
Considering it's EDT the sillage is great but not overwhelming. A very unique creation that is worth being added to anyone's collection.
A great value for the price too!

marymargret
marymargret

Niki de Saint Phalle reminds me of Camus' "Noces à Tipasa". He describes the generous aroma of wormwood on the Mediterranean coast of Algeria and the joy of life that eating a peach can give you.

A beautiful literature page in a bottle.

"Au bout de quelques pas, les absinthes nous prennent à la gorge. Leur laine grise couvre les ruines à perte de vue. Leur essence fermente sous la chaleur, et la terre au soleil monte sur toute l'étendue du monde un alcool généreux qui fait vaciller le ciel. Nous marchons à la rencontre de l'amour et du désir." (...)
"...il y a beaucoup de fruits - surtout des pêches qu'on mange en y mordant, de sorte que le jus en coule sur le menton. Les dents refermées sur la pêche, j'écoute les grands coups de mon sang monter jusqu'aux oreilles, je regarde de tous mes yeux."

adrienn99
adrienn99

hmm... all i get is first some greenness and then a powderpuff. a very dense mossy powder. I like thick powder smell, so now thinking about using it for layering ....

empressevie
empressevie

This perfume is a masterpiece. I spray it, and wow...love, lust at first sniff. Starts off really tantalisingly citrussy, warmly, smoothly sweet ( I know it sounds like a contradiction, but that is what I get!!!!!!!!!!). Not a fruity cocktail sweet, warm, hypnotically sweet. I think what captivates me is the bergamot mix with apple/citrus. Then, it dries down to a gloriously composed middle waft of gentle, powdery warmth...must be the carnations...and of course, the 'I love', patchouli, which here just seems to anchor and stabilise the sometimes oversweet notes such as jasmine. And then,, add even more depth. And I'm walking on sunshine, and sweetness, and a fabulous cloud of divine scent.
Just ordered 2 more bottles..no way am I ever going to skimp with this one.
NB, I wore it yesterday, for my birthday. My darling daughter (aged 21) said to me...'WOW! What is that amazing perfume. It's divine!" Now, she generally likes sweeter chypre and floral fumes. (Currently she wears Lolita Lempicka and Parisienne) So, the allure must be ageless....
Thank you to Niki and the gods of all perfume beauty. Another great love!!!

maatgirl
maatgirl

Picture it: 1982. A twelve year old girl is walking through the old I. Magnin store at Union Square in San Francisco: an elegant, gracious space done up in grey marble and accented with gilded brass. The girl, in love with the glamour of her surroundings, the first giddy flush of love in fact, passes a cosmetic counter; a flask atop it gets her full attention. A rectangular pillar of blue cobalt glass supports two metallic snakes, one gold, one enameled in piebald primary colors. They are entwined in what parents or teachers would euphemistically call "an act of love." A sales lady (That's a sales assistant, for you younger readers) notices her gawking at this revelation, smiles, and hands the girl a sample of what lies within that cobalt pillar. (Yes, there was a time when sales assistants were called sales ladies and they did things like that. Sigh.)

At home the girl sits down cross-legged on her bedroom floor and opens the little vial. Even before the fragrance touches skin she knows---something about her is changing, is being changed by whatever is in this tiny plastic vial. She doesn't have the words to adequately describe or analyze what she is experiencing, though words like topnotes, oakmoss and drydown really can't be used to describe an awakening, a coming of age, an epiphany.

What is really in that little vial is not so much a perfume but a secret handshake admitting her for the first time into a world of mature sensuality. Sweet flowers with a serrated edge of bitterness, spicy and forbidding with woods thick enough to become lost in: though it will be years before her first real kiss, her first real love affair, her first heartbreaks--this is the moment, the passkey from childhood to what lays beyond.

Though I kept the sample for years, I did not buy NdSP; by the time I was in my late teens/early 20s it had disappeared from suburban mall shelves and I thought it was discontinued and gone forever. About a year ago, discovering fragrance again, I wondered, "what about Niki?" and set out to find it. While the EDT is excellent-- lighter than the vintage as I remember it, more green and less complex--the old NdSP lives on in the bath oil--the bitter pollen of marigold that makes this fragrance what it is really stands out. This is a must try for every serious perfumista because there is nothing like it on the market today -- so says my inner 12 year old.

rednut
rednut

This has quite a citrus smell on me. It is a strong scent but fresh and clean. In general I go for woody, spicy, oriental fragrances but there is something about this that I really like and I find myself wearing it fairly often. I know I will buy another bottle when I finish it.

Sissi
Sissi

Niki de Saint Phalle and Chanel no 19 don't seem
too different from each other they both have the
simular sharp green opening although no 19 stays
cool and crisp, Niki dries warm and reisenious
with Leather and patches of Civet Niki is a warmer
and extroverted cousin to No 19 with it's cold cypre
like wet grass and dry oakmoss comes to show you that
every Oriental and greens are a Indivual.

Kterhark
Kterhark

“I don't love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:
I love you as one loves certain dark things,
secretly, between the shadow and the soul.”

Thank you Pablo Neruda (A Chilean poet who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971), for this beautiful passage.

I had a different experience with Phalle Parfum today, and so I must write about it. I never realized how strongly the carnation stands out; and carnation, as you see above, is fiery.

I also got strong images of a fragile, pink light fighting against the shadows, and voila, along came this poem.

NIki de St. Phalle is an unusual scent. I’ve been coming back to it for over a year now, in various strengths and years of production. This will never rise to the top shelf with me, but what is so arresting is the oily leather played off on the deep, earthy florals. The seduction is so subtle I think it demands a biblical warning. Song of Solomon author take note.

As a black, dusty leather with an elusive swath of green this is truly remarkable. Folks who like Jean Scherrer (original), Eau de Soir and Miss Dior should give this a nod.

I’ll probably always keep a small decant on hand, just for the soul of it.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Don't buy this untested unless you are VERY sure you like chypre notes. It is very exotic, cool smelling, and even I with my untrained nose can pick out the strong cedar. The initial notes dry down very quickly to a long-lasting, unchanging powdery green and woody aura.

Did not know who Niki dSP was until talking to an arty friend. If you have seen her art, she was very avant-garde, ahead of her time, and a bit eccentric...just like this perfume.

If you are game enough to wear this it won't go unnoticed, promise!

Edit a few months later: I've gone off this one big time..travelling onwards in my perfume exploration.

Cereza
Cereza

This is SO wonderful. It opened with such a lovely green burst of mint followed by peach sweetness and jasmin. It's sweet, but spicy from the patchouli. The carnation gives a wonderful "green" feeling and I must ask - what's there not to love?
It reminds me of forest, of woods, of rain, of nature, it's a real masterpiece and the price?
It's extremely well maid and a must for every chypre of floral green lover. Gorgeous. I'm very impressed.

nature nut
nature nut

To me Niki is all about the cedar and cedar to me is all about freshly sharpened pencils. This EdT instantly takes me back more years than I intend to divulge here, to a time in September when the anxiety of beginning a new school year was soothed by the satisfaction in owning pristine new school supplies.

It's not common to experience a sense memory that vivid. It happens in dreams but rarely in waking life. Yet somehow the cedar note in Niki de Saint Phalle reawakens for a moment all that ambivalent childhood intensity felt at the approach of the first day of school.

Of course there's more to Niki than cedar wood, plenty to appreciate in it beyond the brief excursion back to childhood that always takes me by surprise. But somehow the cedar is so redolent that for me the other notes become its background, indistinguishable from one another though together forming their own very lovely composition. To me there are two notes in Niki; cedar and the rest. Both are beautiful.

This is one of those fragrances that smells more expensive than it is. Sometimes ebay sellers, unable to decipher the actual spelling from the signature on the bottle, list it as "Niki de Saint Ralle" and it goes for even less since buyers aren't looking for a fragrance that doesn't exist.

As if to bellow out from behind a gigantic megaphone, "Yes, you can have it all!" NIKI DE SAINT PHALLE manages to roll the best of chypre florals and leather perfumes all into one powerful potion. To wear this creation is to go on a raucous ride on a bucking bronco out in the wild, wild west. No one can claim that NIKI is boring or tame.

The opening is rather green, with a galbanumesque-edge that introduces a complex chypre which continues to evolve with notes coming and going in wafts of wonderfulness. Meanwhile, the leather begins faint, as almost a soil-like complement, suggesting early on that NIKI will be but another well-behaved chypre. But, no, hold on to your hat, the leather gets darker and heavier as the green dissipates, to be replaced by other tell-tale chypre elements, including oakmoss.

The florals are less assertive players in this composition, but essential as well: this is not fruity or sweet at all and at times the carnation and ylang contribute a dash of spiciness. By the drydown, the leather and the woods have more or less taken over, but the oakmoss persists all the way through to the end, many hours later, thanks to the amber and musk.

NIKI DE SAINT PHALLE is definitely a composition worth trying--provided that you love both leather and classic chypre!

RkrChk
RkrChk

Geez, Louise... ! I did NOT like this fragrance at all...It didn't fare well with my body chemistry...It smells cheap, old fashioned, and mostly like not showering and then trying to cover up the dirty smell with a powdery scent...I'm glad others like it because I DON'T!

millan
millan

I had been looking at this one for quite sometime But I did not have the courage to buy it. but it was calling my name then I read what Nyoka ( which is my top favorite reviewer) wrote . And I decide to buy it with out trying it. And it was love at first sniff . It is like no other perfume I have tried, It is so natural ,nothing artificial. It does not clash with my animals senses ( horses, goats, dogs , cats chicken) dosnt make them moody or hiper I can use it to go out just to be in the house. It is refine & elegant Ahd I feel good, sexy mysterious elegant in it. It is just wonderful
LOVE IT !! LOVE IT!!!!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

One of the loveliest perfumes I have tried in the past year or so - I even bought a bottle (and when you already have a large collection, that is saying a lot).
On me the opening is a bit fruity-floral, but then this fades to a wonderful green oriental, with a dry-down that is light and sexy. Not as overwhelming as some of the 80's orientals and could easily be worn during the day, even at the office. Lovely overall.

nyoka
nyoka

This is one of my favs.THe green notes make my heart sing!The peach and patcholi mingle and make a slight floral scent.I love most the dry down,ummmmmm,irris root,oakmoss and cedar make this a really green wet woody scent.When I wear it,I feel like im in a forest with cool gentle rain falling on nme.My senses feel alive.Always perks me up.

rithacha
rithacha

This is Sublime's little GREEN sister. The blast of green at the begining is nothing short of extraordinary. It's very deep, layered, and crisp. A clean note of mint cuts through the opening and gives it serious dimension. Within an hour, woody heart notes peek through the composition. Patchouli and cedar, with the requisite rose and jasmine. The overall feel isn't powdery or dry; rather, the sharpness of the dominant notes are balanced by some juiciness (I'm not sure where it comes from). The drydown is lush, green, and does not skimp on oakmoss.

Niki de Saint Phalle is very very green and lush, never acridly dry. It reminds me of Chanel No.19 in some regards, but it smells more modern and versatile. I imagine Niki de Saint Phalle would layer nicely over other perfumes too.

Highly recommended, unless you can't tolerate green!

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

Dark green at the start, but quickly became very dry and resinous on me. I do not get any florals. My chemistry must be amplifying the leather note, because the overall effect is not far from how Miss Balmain performed on my skin. I feel a little overwhelmed by this fragrance.

belletresor
belletresor

Had this one in my early 20's and from what I remember, I loved it and it was one of my "date night" favorites - very sexy and mysterious.

It's been a long while since I last wore it, and now I may have to buy another bottle to resurrect my experience.

I have always been attracted to fragrances that are sweet and smoky, sexy, surprising, noticeable but not overpowering, and again, from what I remember this was a top fave for many years.

Another chypre floral that I have loved - LOL, *surprise!!!* at least I'm consistent!

Aalia
Aalia

So complicated this scent is, but I am not complaining, no, I am basking! The herbal opening is gorgeous. Adding mint and bergamot to those little fresh cut leaves brightens the scene, and makes it perfect. The peach is hidden, it doesn't shout out with sweetnees-the peach uses itś fuzzy skin, and stays softly in the background, taming the opening notes, keeping them from turning "too masculine".

My nose is elated, ecstatic, and stunned, and the middle notes are difficult for me to discern. I can say that the carnation keeps the composition dry. The jasmine and ylang-ylang are slightly overshadowed, but not completely lost, while they mix and meld so perfectly with the other earthen notes of cedar, orris root, and patchouli. The rose reaveals itself only by playing rival to the patchouli, and lending hidden power and velvety caress to all the other notes in play.

The drydown comes along and I am
baffled by how intensely I can enjoy all the whole three stages of this scent, so thoroughly. The base is like a cedar chest, an antique house with wooden floors. The base itself reminds me of a gentle Azuree by EL. At first the leather note in the base misguided me, I thought of wax or powder, but now I am finding the leather to be a lovely and essential touch.

The scent is strong, but itś not forceful, not tacky. This perfume is on edge the whole time, but simultaneously balanced, sublime. This scent has presence, texture. It develops, changes, revealing so many facets-doing so-smoothly at every level.

An excellent Chypre, it is never sugary, not for one moment. Wonderfully natural, always keeping you grounded. Oriental in the way the spices and deep eastern notes conjure dreams of 1,000 Nights under an indigo dark sky. Truly beautifully Floral, as it never fails to be profoundly feminine.

amelie
amelie

Like the fragrance, although very strong, the other day I felt a perfume, only then was the most beautiful.Must be great with body cream,I mostly like chypre perfumes, rarely buy. Base notes are fantastic with favorite oakmoss,amber,leather. After a few hours smelled powdery and soft. Incredibly powerful drydown, left a deep impression on me.

CaraMia

Yep, it's still gorgeous in the body cream, but it is a remarkable scent overall a lovely deep floral chypre for someone who doesn't like sharp mossy scents. The moss is there, but it's in the background. The florals are deep and dark and the mint and patchouli overshadow the cedar and oakmoss in this one. The carnation and Ylang makes it deep and dusky and a great scent for the evening....and yes, layer it with the body cream. Lush.

magie
magie

I just received my bottle of Niki and I am very impressed. It smells so lovely, floral, but not too flowery, musky, but not too dry. The heart is amazing with carnation and jasmine. I love the dry down, soft and powdery, while it still has presence. Perfect for cool,crisp fall days.

guest_tata
guest_tata

This perfume has a strong marigold smell and dries down rather woodsy and powdery on me. It is a bit heavy for my taste.

NebraskaLovesScent

Adding another review, now that I have tried both the Eau de Toilette and the pure Parfum.

If you're new to this scent, try the EdT first. It is inexpensive and easily found online. If you like the citrus and pine top notes in the Edt, you'll want to purchase the Parfum at some point. Those notes last much longer in the Parfum concentration and give the fragrance a different effect. The parfum is much greener and a little sweeter.

If your favorite part of this fragrance is the leather and musk of the drydown, the EdT gets there faster and those are the notes that will linger. This scent is very long-lasting even in the EdT strength.

(And if you're a bottle collector, you'll want both versions! They're just so darn pretty!)

NebraskaLovesScent

I first encountered this scent at age 19, and I can see now why it wouldn't have appealed to me at that age, but is very appealing now that I am in my late 30's. Niki de Saint Phalle is a mature woman's scent, with maturity meaning age and experience rather than a number. I was not ready to be that person at age 19 or 20, but I welcome this scent now.

Other Fragrantica members suggested I would like this one as it smells similar to Molinard de Molinard, which is one of my favorites. It does smell like that one, with a little more green "Christmas tree" note in the opening. It then dries down to a beautiful, sexy musk, similar to Halston Classic. I can't wear the Halston at all, but Niki also has enough leather in the base to keep it pleasant-smelling on me.

It's a bit out of fashion at this time, or perhaps its a scent completely out of time altogether, unless it's the right time for YOU to wear it.

Full disclosure: the beautiful packaging is a HUGE part of the appeal for me, too. I never buy scents based on packaging alone, but thankfully, the scent is as exotic, attractive and mysterious as the opulent blue bottle that contains it.

I have the EDT and it has decent staying power in this concentration, but I am hoping I can find an EDP or Parfum of this scent to purchase in the future.

hibernia
hibernia

it is very sweet and flowery I think it is a summer perfume. The bottle is very unusual. I am not sure if I would get it again as I prefer spicy and oriental perfumes

gyftedgrammy
gyftedgrammy

It''s not love at first sniff, but as it dries down, a nice balance of musk/floral/sweetness develops. It is not for the young or free spirited woman. It suits a sophisticated, but unconventional woman best. Great fall/winter choice.

CaraMia

This is also very delicious in the body cream.

essija
essija

Very mature and Outdoorsy. This is a winter must. I get a lot of pine out of this, it's different than anything I have ever smelled. I like it, a lot...

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle 4.07 out of 5 based on 309 ratings and 74 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Niki de Saint Phalle Niki de Saint Phalle, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.