Designers » N-Q » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Farouche Nina Ricci for women

Farouche Nina Ricci for women
dislike

aldehydic

Farouche by Nina Ricci is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. Farouche was launched in 1973. Top notes are aldehydes, mandarin orange, galbanum, peach and bergamot; middle notes are honeysuckle, carnation, iris, lily, clary sage, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose, geranium and cardamom; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, oakmoss and vetiver.

Aldehydes Mandarin Orange Galbanum Peach Bergamot

Honeysuckle Carnation iris Lily Clary Sage Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Geranium Cardamom

Sandalwood Amber Musk Oakmoss Vetiver

Farouche Fragrance Reviews

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I did own some of this a few years ago, but alas, it was so light on me I could hardly smell it.

relle
relle

Lovely floribunda with amazing longevity; think classic. Sadly, I don't give this one much playing time. I'm willing to swap it, or have I temporarily gone insane?!

Kateri81
Kateri81

Summer morning, cloudless sky, fresh breeze, white crisp tank top, pale jeans, walking downtown with my husband and kids for coffee and croissants wearing Farouche. Casual but very elegant.
They don't make such a scents these days. Just tutti frutti candy stuff which is so forgetable and has no statement at all. We definitely need some "perfume revolution" to come very soon.

millascent
millascent

Farouche is a gorgeous green floral aldehydic woody fragrance. One part Madame, one part Mademoiselle, this scent is a sleeper- it comes on exactly as the name suggests... Shy and difficult to know at first, yet given some time, you will find her to be full of grace, charm and intelligence.

The open is green with a rush of aldehydes and sharpish florals. At first impression such a tactiturn beauty might not be worth the effort to get to know better. But as the green and bitter notes are joined by jasmine, rose, carnation, sandalwood, amber and musk, a very appealing, fully feminine heart is revealed.

Farouche fits me well, fleshed out as it is with a medley of other favorite notes: cardamom, peach, clary sage, oakmoss, and vetiver. The fruit, herb and spice provide necessary verve and lift; the root and moss ground it.

If you are looking to explore scents with similar feeling to Farouche, another wild 1970s French scent that falls along the same lines is Hermes Caleche- though Farouche represents the cleaned up, tidy-ish version, while Caleche is rather less refined, or at least less into showers!

Moonclaw
Moonclaw

I love this perfume! Maybe I'm a sucker for galbanum, or maybe it's the oakmoss/vetiver that does it, layered so beautifully with so many lovely flowers, maybe it's just I'm delighted with any perfume that has LOV and iris. This one is a true classic and worthy of a try.

And Anomie et Ivoire - I LOVED your review!

Frenchie-Loveday
Frenchie-Loveday

delightful perfume, sweet and warm...as indeed is Fleur de Fleur by the same perfumier...plenty of both around and not expensive either...

jacquiebobby
jacquiebobby

I loved this perfume and have tried for many years to either find it again or one almost the same. It a warm and sensual fragrance. And amazingly I have found Jesus del Pozo's Ambar, which in it's own right is a wonderful scent and amazingly is very similar in construction and smell. Wonderful!!!

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

I've had a pure perfume of Farouche for a few months, already in love with it; it's a go-to lowkey but strong kind of perfume. They really don't make 'em like this anymore, and why? "Farouche," meaning 'shy but wild' isn't a desirable personality these days. Nina Ricci cranks out cartoon apples, sugar, and gift wrapped girliness now, and why not? It's what people want. But Farouche captures a post-1969 pre-80s excess time when being a woman meant being (super)natural, untamed, and far above the performativity of buttons and bows. Post-Feminine Mystique, pre-infantilization.

An anecdote: today I found a large vintage Farouche edt in a so-precious-it's-subversive ceramic atomizer for a few dollars at Goodwill. The lady at the counter wrinkled her nose and said (after only barely sniffing the likely caked-up and aged spritzer head) "What a horrible old perfume. That smells so nasty. Eww!" She demanded to know why I would want to wear something so ugly and tried to get me to buy the sealed (and marked twenty dollars) Heidi Klum Shine someone had donated unsniffed. Shine is not that bad for a celeb-u-scent, but it's play-doh compared to Farouche's fertility sculpture. What kind of perfume paradigm do we live in that the unsniffed, sealed celeb scent supposedly beats the strong but subtle feminine classic? The lady was certainly no perfumista, but she was so shocked that I wanted to buy Farouche that I had to claim to be 'In It for the Bottle' in order for her to let me buy this piece of refuse, this expired narcotic. She balked as if I were paying to wear poison ivy as a scarf.

Oh and now for the actual perfume: The "Ricci-ade" base is very evident in Farouche; comforting and soft-focus. Aldehydes, oakmoss, and jasmine are the main events, so an almost scholarly and prim perfume is the first impression. But then the drydown is a bit more earthy; protest singer with a cigarette sexy. Even though leather isn't in the pyramid, I get an impression of suede.

This wasn't made for candy girls or femmes fatales. The floral bouquet in this Ricci is more restrained than in her others, more like dried flowers pressed in the pages of a dusty book of poetry. Farouche is a classic French perfume in the old style, but something in its restraint is more natural than demure. I think of walks in the woods, playing guitar in the hammock, and maybe the post-commune refugee who knows a little more about the world and is more beautiful for having lived--reverting to some of the civilization and pleasure of her drug-free days. In visual style, Audrey Hepburn in Green Mansions comes to mind. A wood nymph in a crisp white shirt.

ailishlu
ailishlu

I had this when I was about 17/18 and remember I didn´t like it - far too strong. Then I liked it. Very special. I remember I couldn´t quite make up my mind about it. I remember the first spray being rather aldehydic, which is what probably put me off it, but then it turned into something very unusual for what was around at the time and that´s what attracted me so much to it. I haven´t seen nor heard of this since the late 70s and I would really love to try it again. I think I´m just about ready for it now. The bottle was a simple white spray flacon, the same as the l`Air du Temps edition I owned at the time. Where can I find this now?

purpleunicorn
purpleunicorn

One of those fragrances that my mom used to put on me when I was a young child. Makes me think of a time of innocence. I still have what's left in the old vintage bottle (not the heart-shaped one). It had been a gift from my mom's brother in France many years ago. It smells light and carefree. Definitely aldehydic, very green, with a touch of florals.

Love it.

caramella
caramella

Didn't test this perfume yet,i think i'm still young for it,but the bottle is amazing! someone said it look like a frog, i see it like a very elegant lady from past days,who had tied her hair in a bun to give a little masculin look to the face, standing proud with her bared arms crossed in front of her,and the perfume is her sleeveless expensive top, jeweled with gold tight on-the-neck necklace!! that's how i see it, an opposite of Jean Paul Gaultier lady..

Siv55

It's over two hours later and suddenly Farouche has let it's long seventies hair down. It actually has gone a bit wilder. Take my hand, walk through the long grass, into the trees near the river.
Oops, now its something like a fougere and I'm not sure again. Interesting though. Worth hanging around after.

Siv55

Farouche means sullen and shy in company but with a wild cranky charm.
It smells generically like the 1970's to me. It's not horrible, just very dated, cranky like it's wearing polyester and shy because it's older than everyone else at the party and it wants to go home, put comfy shoes on and be wild in the only way it knows how; dancing alone to Neil Diamond.

lyndy_loo53
lyndy_loo53

Why, oh why won't they bring this one back? Warm, classy, sophisticated and feminine but completely unpretentious - it was my signature fragrance many moons ago and oh, how I wish it still could be. And the beautiful heart-shaped bottles complemented it so beautifully.

Many perfumes come and go but some touch you in a way that makes you LONG to bathe yourself in them again - Farouche is and, I suspect, always will be THAT perfume for me.

efm
efm

I would buy again in a minute if I could find this fragrance for nostalgic reasons. However when I look at the notes - they are among my favorites today,.
With Oakmoss, vetiver, geranium, carnation it is no wonder I loved Farouche

I wore it daily as a young high school teacher in the 1970's. The kids used to tell me they loved it.
Now I would hesitate to be guided by the tastes of teenages - perhaps my loss ?

totallydaft
totallydaft

This and Je Reviens were first perfumes I bought for myself, with my own money. Wore them both all through high school and college. Lovely. I miss Farouche.

Malegria
Malegria

My wild, beautiful Farouche...

A tomboy fragrance of the long lost era.
A child lost in the woods...
The old house with high beams, harboring ghosts.
The bitter plants that grew on ruins.

I don`t see it as an old fashioned scent, though everything screams about it - aldehydes, complex ingredients, 1973. It is a scent of a woman who smokes cigars, rides wild horses and has no fear of the future, because she left all the fears in the past.She is down to earth and her hands are not manicured.Children run to her and animals trust her...
That`s what is Farouche to me.

Farouche by Nina Ricci 4.08 out of 5 based on 103 ratings and 17 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Nina Ricci Farouche fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Nina Ricci Farouche, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Farouche by Nina Ricci. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Farouche by Nina Ricci represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.