Designers » N-Q » Floral « Groups

L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women

L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Videos L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Videos
L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures L'Air du Temps Nina Ricci for women Pictures

The timeless fragrance L'Air du tempsby Nina Ricci that brought a fame to the Ricci house became and remains until today one of the greatest fragrance creations. L'Air du Temps was created due to the great passion of the Nina Ricci's son Robert for fragrances and the art of the master perfumer Francis Fabron. The fragrance was launched after the World War II, in 1948, and the dove on the top is a symbol of peace.

The floral-spicy note of the carnation is in centre of its composition. Bergamot and rosewood support the development of the carnation theme, refined with the notes of rose and jasmine. Violet and iris give a powdery nuance, and create a harmony with the woodsy notes of cedar and sandal, while sensual musk and amber add the final feminine accord to the composition.

Carnation Peach Neroli Bergamot Rose Brazilian Rosewood Aldehydes

Rosemary Carnation Gardenia Violet Orchid Cloves Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose

Spices iris Amber Sandalwood Musk Benzoin Oakmoss Vetiver Cedar

Wind Song
L`Air du Temps Cristal d`Or
L`Air du Temps Noel

L'Air du Temps Fragrance Reviews

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

Primarily soapy with a supporting chorus of conservative florals. Fits into a prominent family of old lady florals: YSL Paris, EL Beautiful Love, Amariage, Chloe Love.

Not my thing.

moonprismpower
moonprismpower

Incredible melancholic scent. Maybe even slightly creepy. Smells a lot like Catholic church to me, especially reminiscent of a funeral.
Definitely a classic.

LunaTaylor
LunaTaylor

This scent makes me feel sad. I imagine girls whose love have gone of off war wearing this. It strikes me as a pining sort of smell. Not really floral, not sexy but not food-like either. It doesn't smell bad by any means, it just gives the impression that the girl who wears this is "taken" and she doesn't want to flirt or have men bother her.
I think if you have fond memories it could be a happy smell for you but I don't think its a joyous sent in general.

susancc423
susancc423

I have worn this fragrance, off and on, since 1980. It was the signature scent of my bosses' wife. She was a very beautiful, glamorous woman, and someone I tried to emulate. I bought another bottle recently, after not wearing it for 30 years, and guess what?? I fell in love! I feel I can appreciate this lovely scent....finally! The fruity, sugar scents that are so popular today make me nauseous. This will sound strange, but this scent, heavy with carnations, reminds me of walking into a funeral home for a viewing.....but in the BEST POSSIBLE WAY! It smells PEACEFUL........and very comforting. When I wear it, I feel like that beautiful, glamorous woman who impressed me so very much, so many years ago.

Fonna2
Fonna2

When these were new fragrances back in 1948, they were modern.
Then that generation turned into moms and grandmoms.

Step back and take a look.
These fruity gourmandy vanillas that are beating the pavements today will certainly be a mom fragrance, then a grandma fragrance, thereafter. Time is of the essence.
That being said: L'air du Temps

This was my signature frag for many years. I am a vintage nut, and this easily could have been my mothers perfume back then, but who would expect a 20 year old to wear it in 1982 with heavy Obsession Giorgio and Poison going on?
Uniqueness is my thing.
I didn't want to blend in the "modern" fragrances of the 80's that I cannot wear til this day. Understandably, a 20 year old today may love those frags, and not want to blend in with the fruity stuff.

Because I stood out from the dark ambery, musky, tuberosey, insensed powerhouses, I was instantly noticed, and complimented.
It's bright, powdery, clean, green, no sweetness, but not sour... mellows to an orange blossom with hyacinth and violet... a little aquatic, with a peek a boo character, woody, and long lasting.
And above all, no plastic!!

It is so vintage , that you will never find a blend such as this today.
It's a fine wine.

FayLou
FayLou

I had wanted to try this perfume for quite a while, knowing it to be a classic and well loved. I got hold of a miniature EDT from Ebay, a well kept 1980's version. I was so disappointed on opening it to find I immediately disliked it! I put a little onto a tissue and smelt it a few times, hoping to find something I liked emerging from the scent. I also put a little onto my wrist and wore it for a short while, but had to wash it off and cover it over (with some 4711 - which incidentally seemed to blend quite effortlessly with it and improve it!), as I just found I felt queasy every time I smelt it. I think my sample is perfectly fresh, not stale smelling in any way, but there's something about this scent which is sickly and odd. I think maybe my sample has altered over time, who knows, but I won't be wearing this perfume any time soon!

babypink_fairish
babypink_fairish

I received this as a gift when I was a young girl from my aunt. That time I just liked to have the bottle and a perfume. But I don't like the smell. It's too heavy, very powdery and old. It smells like perfume from the older time. I don't like it.

Tiger84
Tiger84

My first fragrance love. My mom got it as a gift when I was a kid, and I was so amazed by its airy light, white cloudy wonder. (Later she confessed she didn't like it, she prefers fresh scents.)

For me it is the scent of youth in summer, bright sun in the outdoors, with the white birds in yellow background, just like the package shows. Powdery, creamy florals, for me these are uplifting scents.

I met it the second time in The Silence of the Lambs, one of my favourite books, and this just deepened my love for it. However I couldn't afford it for a long time, so it used to be a dream perfume which I longed for, some sort of a legend. Then when I realised I could actually buy it, having improved my finances, I bought a big tester bottle, and happily used most of it. Now it became old and lost lasting power so I can't wear it for a full workday, only for a very few hours. But it is great for creating a wonderful atmoshpere in my room, a very uplifting room scent, along with a couple of my old fragrances which don't last well anymore but still smell great. I still love it so much but I have so many great scents now that I'm not buying it again soon, I need to use up some of my numerous bottles first.

So many people call it "old lady" and even gloomy and sad, I can't understand that, for me this is the scent of youth and beauty and happiness. One of the brightest scents without being annoyingly clean, perfectly suits a white summer dress. Happy, carefree times.

irebel
irebel

FYI...

I just bought through fragrance X, L Air Du Temps By Nina Ricci Parfum 1.7 oz bottle with the CLEAR birds unbeknownst to me since their picture show the opaque birds.
I tried it and I thought it smelt different. I notice it had a musk smell to it and a it didn't last that long for perfume let alone for toilet.
I got my other bottle of parfum out (3.3oz) with the opaque birds and spray it on my right arm and took the clear bird one and sprayed it on my left arm. Well right away you could tell the difference. My left arm you could smell the musk in it and my right arm smelled nice. After one hour I smelled them both again and the left arm you could hardly smell anything just touch of that chemically made musk. The right arm smelled lovely.
I am not sure if this is a knock off or the Nina Ricci company is ripping us off.
The box looks like the real thing.
I have try to find inforamation on this can't find anything anywhere. Fragrance x just says "We do not sell any knockoffs or imitations". But it would have been nice it they mentioned it was with clear doves and is different.

It's like I lost a old friend :(
Anyways if you are looking for the lovely l'air du temps Parfum I would stay away from this clear doves l'air du temps it does not smell as good and maybe it is good that it doesn't last that long too.:)

Don't get ripped too.

scentelle
scentelle

My husband and I bought this at his suggestion. I remember vaguely the old formula from the 70s-80s as it was a trophy in Eastern Europe. We knew little about perfume but we were familiar with Madame Rochas, Fidji, Lancome's Magie and some Givenchy perfumes.

As I am growing older, my taste in perfumes is evolving. I liked sweet or masculine ones in my youth, then went to an Oriental phase in my early thirties. Then got tired of them and switched to Green, aquatic and ozonic. Now I am attracted to retro aromas and apart from L'Air du Temps have purchased Diorissimo and Must by Cartier.

L'Air du Temps is beautiful, calming, feminine and feels like a second skin. It's not bold or daring but I am tired of perfumes that make a statement. The perfume should follow the woman that's wearing it and not vice versa.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

Wow. I have recently begun testing some classics. I tried one light spray on a wrist then went home. It smelled ok at first, then became stinky. Two hours later I'm in the den watching Fargo. The old dog is sleeping and snoring on the rug next to the bed. My husband comes in the door, immediately holds his nose, wave his hands and says the dog really stinks and needs to go to the pooch parlor, pronto. I 'fessed up and had him smell my arm. We both agreed it smelled like a damp, dirty dog. Not good at all.

It must be my body chemistry, but this is awful to my nose and on my body.

chrisndema
chrisndema

I get a softness, lightness of I guess the carnation and then it settles down to watered incense to me. I guess it doesn't work wd my chemistry but on the rite person this could be good. Its a respectable fragrance.

Alexir101
Alexir101

Love love love - I think this is what love smells like. When I wear this I feel happy and I am always asked what I am wearing. Maybe it just suits my chemistry. It will always be in my perfume wardrobe.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

There is something really incredible about this perfume. It crawls into the pleasure centers of your brain and you keep sniffing to add to the experience. It is very feminine, and I usually don't like overly feminine perfumes, but this one is so good that I can't resist. I have worn it all day - have even spritzed repeatedly for my enjoyment of this glorious scent. Outside in the humid air, I enjoy just the tendrils of it coming off my skin, and I like the faint echo of it in my room where I recently put it on. This is definitely a scent that qualifies as a guilty pleasure!

My favourite!! I just love it. It brings a smile to my face everytime I take a swiff. I think it smell so pretty. I know this perfume is not for everyone though. A while back a friend of mine asked what I was wearing because she said she really liked it. So I got my bottle and gave her acouple of sprays. We continued to talk and about 20 min. she smelled her wrist and went yuk. What... I grabbed her arm to smell her wrist also and yes she was so right. It actually stunk. I couldn't believe it myself. How can this smell so nice on me and stink on her. Found out everyone has a different system and what may smell so wonderful on one will actually stink on another. SO this it is. Every perfume smells different on every person... and some more then others.

I think it's very different from other Nina Ricci's fragrances. A bit old-fashioned. But from all of those old-fashioned fragrances this one is pretty nice and not overwhelming in any way. Mild and powdery floral scent.
I'm really glad, I found it, this could be something my mother would like.

galaxy86
galaxy86

The edp and edt are very different on my skin. I like edt much better cause I do not get flowers with EDP just spiciness (something like pepper and cloves). With edt I get more flowers and less spices. This changes entire formulation for me. I believe that edp will last longer though. But edt smells much like description to me. Either ways I do not get violets from them or may be I need to use again and refocus on them. I think its a fresh and clean fragrance without being soapy.

Inamorata
Inamorata

To be honest, I am not a very big fan of this fragrance. I am well aware of his symbol, and what it stands for, but the aroma itself....it is just not my cup of tea. On the other hand, I can not refer to it as an 100% unpleasant scent.For me, it smells more like clean, soapy. It is the kind of fragrance I would wear on a summer day, when taking a stroll to the park.

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

On my skin, I don't get any warmth or spiciness, just clean, white, floral soap, a bit old-fashioned but very nice, classy and fresh.

lirael00
lirael00

A very comfortable and peaceful fragrance that doesn't want to make you sexy or anything, it just want to pamper you. It's spicy, powdery and soapy. I can imagine someone calling it old lady smell, but I prefer a very classy lady (young or old) smell. My boyfriend told me that this kinda perfume is something Rose in Titanic would wear, which I take as a compliment. Whenever I smell it I think of bubble-bath, candles, a glass of red wine and a good book to read before going to bed. Very nice.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

Back in February I went to my GP, as I'd had a cold for weeks, pretty much since xmas, and it was not budging. He diagnosed sinusitis, gave me some antibiotics and off I went.
What has this got to do with perfume? You may well ask.

Well, had you asked me in November/December last year what this smelled of I would have told you it smelled of almost nothing, that it was very light to the point of almost not existing. A slight prickle in the nose, a faint waft of white flowers and then gone. Now I am realising that my sinuses may have been blocked much longer than I realised, either that or the starts of spring have changed my perfumes or my perceptions of them. I recently revisted Apres L'Ondee which at first sniff smelled of water to me! And now is the most delightful light iris and violet perfume. So with that in mind I decided to revisit L'air du temps.

Wow! Look what I had been missing out on! This is not a weak and watery concoction, this is beautiful!
On the initial spray I get a blast of aldehydes, some carnation, jasmine and musk. I would also swear blind I can smell lily of the valley although it is not listed!
I find the notes to be well blended in this (I have the EDT "travel" 30ml version, in a white plastic cylindrical bottle rather than the shaped glass.)and it is hard for me to pinpoint exactly what I am smelling. I feel sure there is lotv, despite it not being there so I am not sure what is making me feel I smell that! Also jasmine, gardenia, clean white florals. There is a greenness, a freshness, almost soapy quality to this that I like very much. It smells so clean! I feel perpleced that the spices, clove and carnation that are in this give such a light, breezy, fresh and clean scent. There is a slight spiciness to this but not a heavy or dirty note in sight.

I recently sampled the EDP in a dept store, when I went to pick up the bottle, the sales assistant came rushing over "no no no" she said "this is old, this is for older ladies not for you" and tried to sell me some Jimmy Choo! The EDP is a richer, deeper, stronger version of this, I find the spiciness more pronounced in the EDP. I would wear the EDP at night ad the EDT by day.

I think this is a very classy smell and I really like it. It makes me feel clean! It is the kind of scent I could imagine smelling on a nurse, at the start of the day, in her freshly ironed uniform. Clean, friendly, wholesome, pure. (I know nurses are not meant to wear perfume btw!)I think this is very elegant and a nice break from some of the sickly sweet perfumes around at the moment.

Longevity is reasonable, around 6 hours for me, although it is available for a reasonable price so I don't mind respraying during the day if I want to refresh. Projection is moderate for the first hour or two, after which is settles to about arms length for another hour or so before sitting closer to the skin. Very nice.

ForrealMe2

Update:I bought the edp of this and it is still the same scent as the extrait with the sweet yellow florals like Tendre Poison but with the EDP this is more powdery dry at first while the extrait is more deeper and richer..i think i prefer the extrait by a long shot it is just pure liquid gold juice..just wait a good minute for the dry down and its splended still...i like everything so i love it and the EDP bottle i have is the one that looks like the picture above but huge for the 3.4oz with the sprayer but the birds are clear its not the one that's taller and skinnier..this bottle is gorgeous!Tendre is more citrus than this if you want a comparison but on the dry down they are very close..wow what a floral spring time scent..if there was ever a scent that made me feel like i was out side in a field of flowers this is it...

Blue wolf
Blue wolf

I decided to give this a whirl after years of avoiding it like the plague. I got a sample from a company that provides decants.
Well nothing has changed for me, even after waiting ten minutes after application. I get sharp, pungent acidic notes that actually make nose feel burned. I did read that benzoin acts as an inhalant, but I get none of the good qualities. Trying again, I now smell resinous wood that a cat has peed on; oh dear this is not an improvement.
Where oh where is my beloved carnation? The delicate mix of florals??!
I finally lose the acid aldehydes and detect faint florals, not a one detectable from another. It is nice but not notable, and my poor nasal tissues still sting when I inhale.
There are ghostly florals that I cannot pin down, but are pretty.

This is a fragrance I can never enjoy, I am seriously bummed. I have to chalk it up to an allergy of some kind to the particular aldehydes. I have encountered this response before with some classic fragrances that pioneered the use of aldehydes.

I am curious as to why I have this response; if anyone has any information drop me a line. For now I will have to continue my search for a carnation fragrance that doesn't torture my poor nose.

Sherihan

In his book, "Perfumes,The Essence and Their Bottles" , Jean-Yves Gaborit describes L'Air du Temps as: " The now famous Lalique crystal bottle with its dove-shaped stopper was first introduced in 1948. L'Air du Temps is a fresh,floral blend of bergamot, May rose, ylang-ylang and orchid, with spicy overtones."

Sweet Sea Pea
Sweet Sea Pea

This was my mother's signature when I was a little girl, and I hadn't smelled it in years, but I knew I would like it, and it was on my want list. I stumbled upon a 1oz EDT on sale for $16 at Walgreens, and used a $5 discount, so in my opinion that was a huge score. The open of the EDT is certainly a strong soapy, almost cheap, deodorant spray scent, but that dissipates pretty quickly, within 5-10 minutes. I'm also spraying with a heavy hand. After that, I get all sorts of different things! The carnation is so soft and lovely, in comparison to the sharp carnation in Mackie, or the spicy one in Le Roy Soleil. In the crook of my elbow, I swear it smells just like a dried apricot. One moment I can smell the florals, another moment a soft ozonic green, another moment I get the woods. I wouldn't really call this spicy, as fragrance goes, but there is zest here, maybe it's the bergamot. Now I'm really dying to try the EDP, I think it's going to be completely different. I'm not sure about reformulations. This EDT smells exactly like I remember my mother's hugs and clothing in the 80s, at least on my skin towards the opening. Perhaps because of my mother, this smells to me like glamour, womanliness, and Perfume. I can smell the history, but I can also smell the freshness. It's unique, it's familiar, it's a chameleon. I can get why some may not love to wear it, but honestly I can't understand hating this. The old lady label is due to ignorance, IMO. I don't think some noses can appreciate the complexity of this fragrance. The elements of this fragrance are familiar and often used in other fragrances, but the way they are combined, and play out over time is completely unique. I love a fragrance that takes one on a journey, that develops and whispers different things. This is the ultimate example of a storytelling fragrance. I can't wait to get my hands on an EDP, and I will be wearing my EDT often this spring. It feels like hope and a fresh start to me.

pravda48
pravda48

Soooooap. So sad that's all I get here; cheap, unscented liquid hand soap. :((

ForrealMe2

i have been testing the waters to some vintages and i bought this old mini of this perfume in a container it is so adorable and its a pure parfum extrait from the 70-80's and it was still good and smelled wonderful my goodness how rich the pure parfum is its very dense...this is sunny joy in a bottle...it reminds me of spring and summer it is so sweet and bright..it almost smells honeyed like but you can smell the amber and spices and florals and the aldehydes but this is not aldehydes done usual this is really blended well in...this is beautiful and unique...i really want to get a full bottle of this soon

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

When I smell this, it pleases me. It is so ultra-feminine. A well-heeled woman who has her own driver would wear this. I always thought this was 'gorgeous and old' smelling. Then I saw where people compared it to the old Windsong!!! Exactly. As children we'd wear the Windsong, and this is the grown-up quality version of that.
also agree that if you like Chanel Coco and Coco Noir you'd like this. I do. Not for everyday. For something special.
My go-to scents are more airy, woody & green. But you have to have a few 'special' scents thrown in there. I don't equate this with 'spicy' too much. I think it is a combination of floral/woody with a powdery dry down. Very nice and would make a nice addition to your collection if you're a mature woman.

Juliana6
Juliana6

This such a complex, nuanced, sensual and classic perfume. Not a typical floral-fruity-candied mono note juice, this is THE classic -it's a strong, dominant carnation mixed with cloves and other warming spices. Then there's a huge exotic, slightly powdered flower bouquet and the base is warm, comforting and so sensually elegant. It's made carefully, every little detail has its place, every ingredient is chosen with care and love. If you like Chanel Coco, Coco Noir, Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood or First by Van Cleef & Arpels, you'll like this one too.
A timeless French classic for women who know what they want and how to get it.
So happy to have it in my collection.

Martaynd
Martaynd

If there ever was a classic women's fragrance, this would have to be it for me. Started wearing it in the 1980s and found one of my old bottles, here in the new millennium. It is still as fresh, feminine, and beautiful as it ever was. I don't know about the "new formulation". I hope it hasn't altered the original too much. This fragrance is timeless!. I like to think myself a perfume connoisseur and no matter what I bought, nothing stands up to this.

crescentsho
crescentsho

I miss the old formulation. now It becomes less strong and more powdery. still nice. L'Air du Temps is one of a good memory.

desertrat
desertrat

L'Air du Temps for me is the epitome of the perfect lady of world travel and old money class. She had me at the bottle. Not only do I love the bottle's historical significance, it's simply graceful poetry presented in sculpture. If for no other reason, you must have it for your perfume table. I was introduced to this fragrance icon in the 70s by a woman of such world class description. Her sophistication and elegance were all tied into this intoxicating fragrance for me. An added bonus... Men love it... In a fragrance world of apple/tea/tuberose/oud etc... you will stand out as unique. In closing... I sat next to a woman one day in the airport... her perfume was undeniable... I asked... "I love your perfume, may I ask, is it L'Air du Temps?" This 80 year old woman lite up like a small child "Why, yes it is! I discovered it in Paris when I was just a teenager. The lady at the counter told me this is the only perfume I'd ever need. All these years later, I can say, it's the only one I've ever worn."
For me, I don't wear it personally everyday. This morning it just seemed right. Wouldn't you know, the first whiff and I remember. Hello, my old friend. You are STILL just as gorgeous as you've ever been. May there always be L'Air du Temps in my life...

zquilts
zquilts

This was my very first perfume love- soon many years ago.

I simply have to give it a try again to see if if I still love it much. My memory of it is a feminine floral....hummm.. I'll have to see if I still would buy it today when I am more of a spicy, oriental warm scent fan .

Sherihan

One of my all time favorites,sometimes I leave it on my vanity for one year,just to be missing it,then I indulge myself with this friend. I have the bath line,and my favorite is the Extrait version.

TRACTATUS
TRACTATUS

my friend sprayed her room with it and her mom flipped for washing the carpet with her luxurious bath soap. Didn't get the joke back then but now I do after testing it.
No offense but this one is difficult for me to enjoy. soapy and musky at the same time? I could barely take one at a time. It's just not the kind of warm spiciness I expected. The spicy notes adds to its soapy nature and makes it even more sharp.

VintageViolet_
VintageViolet_

This is my Mum's signature scent and has been for the past 30 odd years (since before i was born) I used to find this overly powdery as a child but now i love it! A beautiful fresh, floral and hopeful scent from the late 40's - great for vintage girls like me :)

app9
app9

Oh, it's my grandma. It's the bottle I played with when I was a child, it's one of my first perfume memories, it's her comforting hugs, and it's the scent that lingered in the rooms after she passed

I love it, not only because it's with a great sentimental value for me, but it is a wonderful, lady like and unique perfume. Not on my skin though, but on a slightly older lady this does magic. (Or maybe the juice in my bottle has gone bad. I should test it from a new bottle.)

nibunny
nibunny

i really love this perfume! it was jasmine - soft but longlasting. i prefer to use it at indoor or night because when i use it at outdoor, it doesn't noticable.

Rianna
Rianna

I used to wear this when I was in my 20's and recently purchased a handbag size 30ml eau de toilette spray. I still like it as much as I ever did. I know the fragrance is dated but there are more up to date different versions of it to try. Personally though I still think it smells great. It's clean and inoffensive and has a very romantic feel to it. It's feminine and has an ability to smell cosy but fresh. When I smell Chanel No 5 that smells old to me and Coco Mademoiselle makes me feel nauseous because it's so common. L'Air du Temps however isn't very common and when worn leaves an unforgettable trail in the air which is why perhaps it is called L'Air du Temps - The Air of the moment or maybe The air that tempts!! :)

kattassah
kattassah

Tried the edt version of this and was disappointed. It had a very soapy smell. Like sharp, soapy smell. And before it wore off, about an hour and a half later, it had a scent that seemed somehow solid, like I could feel it in my throat. Windsong has that same thing going on. Not something I'll wear very often. Based on the notes it was something I should have loved...

resonant.sillage
resonant.sillage

This Fragrance has a special place in my heart for me .
My mum got this as a gift from one of her friends who had brought it for her from Paris in the early 80s.

I still remember the bottle -
A white creamy high quality plastic bottle ( which had a feel like its ceramic ) , with golden strips/lines traversing the body and cap in elliptical fashion and at the juncture of cap with the body is a little golden bow tie !
Lovely .

And then the juice . It was magical .
As I remember from young days , it was sweet and oh so very enticing and felt like a graceful classy rich woman ! That is how I saw (... still see ! ) my mum .
And made up my mind that every woman should smell like this ! lol ... :)
She would use this for special outings and that made it more good !

Now , my mum still uses it . And so to cherish my childhood memories and love, I bought this and I do buy it when ever I run out of it !

The newer version aren't exactly the same as the vintage ones .
The warmth and heavy and cuddliness and rich feel of the original is somewhat missing in the newer versions , but still its good enough .

Its sweet , powdery and has an airy feel to it .
Its smells rich and soft and elegant .

Longevity and sillage is nothing compared to the original , but still it gives me around 6-8 hrs with a moderate sillage !

MBKITTYKAT
MBKITTYKAT

summer night fragrance.
something always mysterious about this scent....

royal secret addict
royal secret addict

In years of searching, I've found about a dozen fragrances that I like enough to actually use. This is one of them. It seems to me that many of the differences between people who love and hate certain fragrances boil down to whether or not people like concentrated florals and musky or spicy scents. Seems that most people either love them or hate them.

BetterJuice
BetterJuice

I read an article in ALLURE touting this as a great scent for under $60, so I went to Loehmann's and bought a bottle. Well....clearly I am not a L'Air du Temps kind of chick. This light as air scent did nothing for me.

If I had it to do over again I would have tried layering it with another perfume. Instead I gave it to a friend. Her mother always wore L'Air du Temps so my friend adores this scent.

My mom, on the other hand, was a Tabu lady, so in the Tabu vs L'Air du Temps battle, Tabu would always win in my book.

dhya
dhya

My friends gave me for my birthday present two years ago, and finally this bottle empty now.

I think it is too heavy for me.. very heavy flowery at first spritz, but after a hours its tamed into a soft floral woody with a hint of green tea.

I keep this bottle in my office desk and wear it sometime. Although I dont really like it, I always get compliment when wear this.

stormyla
stormyla

I tried so many times over the years to comfortably wear this fragrance. My mother was fond of the scent and wore it for special occasions. My first bottle was whatever they called the EDT version back in the mid sixties. At that time it reminded me of Wind Song with sharp edges. I quite liked Wind Song and chose to wear it instead of LDT.

I tried it again and again in each of the next 4 decades and was always drawn to the scent but each time was turned off by a sharp acrid edge. This is the same experience that I've always had with Chanel No 5.

Last year, I happened to find an incredible buy on a vintage bottle of the parfum, the one with the two crystal doves. I bought it simply to have the bottle and was going to toss the fragrance.

What the heck, I said,give it one last try! Then the magic happened. I finally understand the lure of this beautiful perfume. There is nothing sharp or acrid about the parfum, just wave after wave of the most delicate and ethereal lovely soft scent. Such lovely, lady like refinement as exists in Miss Dior and a few other great scents of the same era.

I did not toss the parfum and will save it to wear on days that I want to celebrate the memory of my mother!

varykino
varykino

My first two serious fragrances, back in the mid-80's, were Ysatis and L'Air Du Temps. I'd gathered that the reformulations aren't that wonderful and had put off trying them in their newer versions, but I recently caved and tried them both.

L'Air Du Temps is recognisably still L'Air Du Temps, but thinner, weaker, quietly lacklustre. I used to feel after spraying it on as though I were walking in my own sparkling, intoxicating cloud of gold dust — well, all the gold dust has been shook off and the magic is gone, gone, gone.

Ysatis is simply no longer itself. I recognised nothing of the opulent, honeyed, deeply sexy chypre that used to garner me more spontaneous compliments than any other scent I've ever worn. I was only grateful that I'd tried it on a sample card first so I could forget about it at once.

I'm not quite sure which is worse. Granted, I loved the old versions of both too much to be able to judge the reformulations on their own merit. Moving on.

Nicole79
Nicole79

I was a teenager when i first heard and seen L,'Air du Temps the first time on the shelves of a parfumery boutique.
I remember that it chatched my eyes the yellow color of the box , so bright and sunny and of course the beautiful bottle !
Then when i tried it, i remember thinking,that it smells so nice, i liked it.
Now, after so many years, i tested again and i think it's still a very nice fragrance.
The tipe of fragrance that makes u feel and smell clean, simple and pretty.
On me smells like a bar soap With a hint of flowers, bergamot and musk.
I love the smell of the bar soap on my skin, so i think that LDT is so sittable for those days when u don't feel like wearing a fragrance that's too parfumey, when u just want to smell clean and fresh.... innofensive and feminine.!:)

timida88
timida88

Few years ago I had a crush on this perfume. Despite fact that i was too young to wear it, i felt something natural and beautiful in its nature. Probably it was reflection of my melancholic personality. Carnations and freesias always were my weakness. I understand ladies who wear it whole life. It is the best what created this brand.

saphire51
saphire51

The opening notes of this one remind me of a cologne I wore in the 60's named Seven Winds by DuBarry. But it doesn't quite have the heavier base notes that Seven Winds did. I like it ok but its not one of my signature scents. When I mix this and Aromatics Elixir by Clinique, I pretty much have my beloved Seven Winds

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

The opening is very strong with carnation and cloves and it smells very synthetic to me. I was amost scared off and wondered how this can be named 'l'Air du Temps'.

All I had to do is wait. The strong irritating scents mellow in to a warm powdery, yet oddly, fresh scent. I can feel some sweet flowers and some soft spices. The whole mixture is in fact cozy, but unusual. It lives up to its name, l'Air du Temps.

I still don't like the opening. However, the drydown is lovely enough to encouraging me to wear it again and again. Who knows? I might actually love it after going through my mini.

Terranova0
Terranova0

Love the carnations! Love the dry down on this perfume, too. The cologne's top notes can be too sharp for me. Once it warms up it's charming.

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

If you know what Coco by Chanel and Halston smell like (two of my favorite perfumes btw), then you might understand why I say L'air du Temps smells like a combination of the two. Cloves,(from Chanel) and oakmoss, bergamot, carnation, cedar, and ylang ylang (from Halston) come together along with common notes between the two fragrances of jasmine, rose, peach, and powdery notes to create the best of both worlds. What a delicious treat for me and even more so because of the sentiment of world peace behind the creation of this perfume. I happily wear this perfume!

Edit: Call me crazy, but I wore this recently and in the opening, I caught a few wafts of Chanel No 5...but only for a little bit before it settled. Amazing!

Pooja37
Pooja37

A graduation gift from my mother, I wore it through my university years and loved it back then. Never bought one for myself as L'air du Temps is bit too sheer and understated on me. I moved on to Chanel No. 5 through my working years. But even now, I'd recognize it anywhere, even as a passing whiff when someone wearing it, walks by. Always makes me smile and brings back some very nice memories.

maneki_neko
maneki_neko

Personally: L'Air du Temps is how I found out I do not like carnation, and that it does not do well on me besides.

Universally: What is there not to love about the concept of this fragrance, or about the women that can wear it so well? I deeply respect it--and them.

Kysyona
Kysyona

Sadly, very few so-called timeless classics ever work on me - I seem to be cursed (or blessed?) with the kind of skin, that works mostly with zeitgeist and the perfumes of "now and possibly tomorrow". Particularly badly my chemistry interacts with powdery scents. My skin kills completely the following perfumes, so much loved by many: Anais Anais, Fidji, Rive Gauche ( it takes some time, but there's always very little left of what it's supposed to be ) and L'air du temps is, sadly, no exception. At first there's powder, something yellow and a little green, and 5 minutes later - NOTHING. Just sourness and powder , if I shamelessly drench the whole arm with the tester at a drugstore in a fruitless attempt to experience the glorified beauty of this classic. Who knows - it is only the hype? Or is it my chemistry? Is it the new reformulation that is to blame? The end result is - I can simply spray air on my wrist, the effect will be exactly the same. If I come across a vintage bottle - will give it a go and get back with an update.

mihaela01
mihaela01

I got a sample of this before I buy the bottle,and that was a great decision as I don t think I like it ,the first 30 min.smell realy strong like a beauty salon...after that it s nice but not for me.

fierce poodle
fierce poodle

VERY heavy carnation fragrance. Somehow it took me back to my Home Ec classes in the early 1960's. One of my teachers must have worn it.

TudorRose
TudorRose

I bought this for myself as I remember my Mum wearing it when I was a child. It smells wonderful on her, gorgeously floral.
On my skin, it smells like scented soap, so my skin just doesn't agree with it. I'm giving it to Mum!

jht4060
jht4060

I don't know how it came to pass that anything with a prominent floral note is invariably marketed (and perceived) as feminine. L'Air du Temps is a great classic spicy floral and there is no reason other than habit that a heterosexual man shouldn't love and wear this. When I am outdoors I enjoy the scents of herbs and woods and rich earth and fresh-cut grass and wet leaves and wood smoke and fresh rain, but above all I enjoy the scents of a myriad of flowers. Why do I feel that I shouldn't smell like that?

I got a bottle of L'Air du Temps for my daughter and kept a sample because I like it so much. I also like the wonderful association of the name and the bottle with the end of World War II and the flourishing peace that followed.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

I really adore this fragrance. The only reason that I have not purchased it is because I can only find it in the EDT concentration, and I would rather adorn this beauty in the parfum version. My review, then, will be based on the EDT.

This fragrance is floral and powdery. Although this may seem like the formula for many fragrances today, L'Air du Temps finds a way to be different and set itself apart from the crowd. The flowers are soft, delicate, and very feminine. This fragrance is to be worn by a well-dressed, confident woman who is a wearer of perfume (as opposed to one who is worn by perfume). I believe that LdT epitomizes and oozes sophistication, brilliance, and beauty on the individual that wears it.

L'Air du Temps is grace, beauty, and a welcome ray of sunshine in a world that seems to be darkened by a lack of creativity and passion.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

This is so clean, crisp, fresh, and downright floral.

It's something that I feel can be worn everyday. It's slightly spicy, slightly powdery, but mostly fresh and clean carnation. I fell in love with this because of the concept...but I'm still in love with it because it's gorgeous and perfect for everyday wear, without being obtrusive.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

nellyrlight@aol.com couldn't have put this better. This is clean, crisp, beautiful and fresh. It is classy, vintage, grown up and truly a stunning timeless perfume that will withstand the test of time.

blackpearl1
blackpearl1

I use to get this perfume every year. for my birthday when i was a teenager.
Some people are fans. I just didnt like scent.
My boyfriends didnt like it either.

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

timeless..eternal..clean beautiful scent

Fragaria

I wore this today and a young girl of 10-12 said "You smell like my grandma." It made me smile. I told her "Well...I'm wearing a grandma perfume!" She just smiled. I don't know if this was a good thing or not!? I don't wear this often, and this won't make me love it any less. Just sharing a smile with everyone here.

Carnation! You are my penultimate mortal enemy (after civet). Even with all the lovely spices and woods listed in L'Air du Temps has you change it to something soapy and bitter on my skin. Somehow you manage to turn this fragrance into Wind Song.

Ok so more or less it smells like a carnation suspended in a bar of soap.
Or those soap bars your grandmother used in her underwear drawer.

Soapy, powdery, I smell a lot of ylang ylang alongside the carnation. For some reason I get no spice except maybe the scent of a bottle of ground cloves that's been empty for days.

Freshscent28
Freshscent28

My mum gave me two bottles of this perfume she had hanging around and it still smells good so I put it in a closet to protect it so I can continue to use it.

9-na
9-na

Vintage. This scent is one of those love stories women of my family don’t want to let go year after year after ye... My Granny, my Aunt, my Mummy, and me. What I love most about L'Air du Temps isn’t a very beautiful carnation that is one of my favourite flowers, or this quiet, wondrous spicy undertone, or the way jasmine and chrysanthemum whisper stories to each other, or a touch of rosemary, but the air that surrounds them all or probably is in them as well as around them, that’s the thing for me in L'Air du Temps, the air. This scent is so full of happy, spacious, no, roofless air that I love, it is peaceful, and it's filled with sense of happiness.

Tovah
Tovah

I hate carnation, personally, but this is one out of a handful of my perfumes that my husband thinks is beautiful. I do think this fragrance is haunting, but it's unsettling. Something about it depresses me, and it always has...my sister wore this often back in high school and I used to dread getting whiffs of it. L'air du temps is one of the perfumes that figure prominently in Janet Fitch's powerfully emotional novel White Oleander. (If you've never read the novel as a perfume lover you MUST...or at least see the movie.)

I can smell a lot of carnation, and not much else. At first, this is very promising to me, with its soapy opening and blended florals, but very quickly the other notes fade, and all that's left is a slightly spicy carnation. I used to wear this in the late 80's and I liked it. Today, I find this too dry and shockingly too simple, especially considering all the notes listed. I am a lover of vintage scents, but this one somehow doesn't wow me.

Abendlicht

This is the perfume the most associated with my mother.... What else can I say? She was wearing this when I was a child.... Which makes it one of the best smell ever. This is not an objective review! But I remember flowers... Warm but not sweet... Soapy a bit... A vintage quality, but not "old". Not overpowering...

freddinos
freddinos

I used a couple of bottles of L'air du Temps in my early University years, when everything was new and I wanted to immerse in elegance, class, and timeless values. I remember sampling perfumes like Aromatics Elixir, White Linen, Knowing and L'air du Temps in a sea of Angels and Eternities. L'air du temps is the epitome of powder for my nose, perhaps this is how the powders had smelled in my past. The carnation is the dominant note, and the rest of the bouquet has a bitterness which I love, almost like a cloud of saudade for a time long gone. Yes, it is not modern or easy going. But L'air du temps' qualities do not need to explain themselves, you can understand everything just by looking at the melancholy in their eyes. A masterpiece.

evesoho
evesoho

I was given a bottle in the early 90s when I turned twelve. I remember feeling that strain in my heart that ones feels when one loves something desperately as a child, with abandon, when I experienced the fragrance of the golden pond over which the doves twirled.

At twelve, I was awkward in a larger clumsy way, people thought I was sixteen, I really wanted to kiss all the boys, and generally did so, with a taste of adventure and risk. There were times though, I wanted to feed my heart with gentleness, with the pride of simply being myself, knowing that someday I'd be a confident woman full of *even more* love. L'Air du Temps nourished my heart and soul in that way.

On a quiet evening, with all my dreams glittering around me, I loved to have a bath and afterward layer the lotion and perfume. I went through at least four bottles in adolescence. If I had to say what I liked best, in technical terms, I would say the violet, jasmine, and musk. Violet was familar, tempering the dreamy jasmine, and refining the musk that made me feel sophisticated for the first time.

Eventually, as with all chidllike infatuations, I grew out of the perfume. For one thing, I had begun to smoke at 16, and the bit of innocence in the perfume was interfering with my "vibe".

Twenty years later, I haven't smoked for years. My dad, bless his kindness, mailed me two bottles for Christmas a few years ago. I couldn't bear to try the creation for some reason. I finally did, recently, looking forward to it with fresh hope - but in the end I only shed tears of great dismay. I tried again another day but no change.

Now, L'Air du Temps is very sharp in the wrong place, and it doesn't glow softly in the deeper end.

I wish I could vote for this perfume twice:
1. Had it, loved it 2. Have it, dislike

I'm afraid to try this perfume again, in case it makes me forget the original (or at least the formula I had back then). On the other hand, I do wonder if a L'Air du Temps formula that pales in comparison to the one I loved is better than no L'Air du Temps at all.

Add: I had to tell you that I had a L'Air du Temps soap. It was so pretty.

Justyna
Justyna

My big mistake. I was craving for carnations, but not that soapy. But who knows, maybe at spring they will bloom?

capraG
capraG

I'm really looking forward to finding a vintage bottle. It was my grandmother's signature.

Lushylori
Lushylori

Well I don't normally reach for my L'Air du Temps often because i have so many great fragrances in my perfume collection,however i just got out of a very relaxing bubble bath tonight and i wanted to spray something on my PJ's that allowed me to remain in my relaxed state of snuggliness ....I reached for my L'Air du temps and i am so happy i did.
Wow! I can't stop smelling my wrist where i sprayed my perfume. Its so soft & powdery and an extremely cozy smelling perfume.
I had this when i was in my early 20's and i couldn't stand it because as the one reviewer described it on here,it smelled very old lady to me but in a nice way.
Now that i'm older my nose has matured with my tastes and i love it. I love the history and the bottle of this perfume too.
I think that the Doves on the topper suit this scent perfectly,as does the feeling of peace that you receive after spraying this perfume on and also which the creator of the scent was looking to achieve .... Its a smooth well balanced scent and i'm proud to own a bottle of this gem.
I think an age group that may hold this scent in higher appreciation would probably start in the 30's and work its way up.
If anything else,it'll look beautiful on your vanity and you'll own a little piece of history :)

xoxoRosita
xoxoRosita

I feel like if I say anything bad about this scent people will get totally offended and angry because in a weird way it's like I'd be saying something bad about their childhood. Indeed this perfume has been around for a long time but at the end of the day it really does just smell like your grandma's perfume. Powder, sour, strong. Sorry lovers.

Kateri81
Kateri81

I was so lucky to get a vintage version and it's beyond heaven. Just perfect.

ladybradshaw
ladybradshaw

This perfume deserves its place in history. It is complex and alluring on the right wrists. (well not the RIGHT wrists, but the proper ones with the correct alchemy)

On my skin this turns into harpies shrieking. Shrill, dischordant notes of bright citrus, bergamont, and searing carnation. I never get far enough into wearing the scent to find the sandalwood. None of the grounding elements find their way off of my skin.

My alchemy says this stuff stinks... But on my 40 year old sister, it smells nuanced and intriguing.

Me: Harpies Shrieking
Her: Doves floating on warm, spicy, summer air.

alicem
alicem

L'Air du Temps is the "Fur Elise" of fragrances, sad and beautiful at the same time, its notes speak of long forgotten times of war and hope, of never dying love...would I wear this? Probably not, I like my fragrances to have a modern twist to them, but I like to keep a sample size to smell from time to time.

SS-Essess
SS-Essess

I used to love this when I first bought it (I believe I was about 20 years of age at the time), but I grew to dislike the sweet floweriness of the scent by the time I was half way through the bottle. I therefore selected 'dislike' rather than 'like' above.

satinandlace
satinandlace

This one I smelled first when I was about 7 years old, when I was tagging along with my sister and mother while the were shopping. I had forgotten the name of it, but always remembered the doves on the top. Not so long ago I was reminded of it, as I've been more interested in perfumes, and finally found it. I love it, it's light, fresh, intelligent, and classy.

jessigirl
jessigirl

I was given a vintage EDT of this. My mom gave it to me, it was her aunts. It smells SO good on me. Nothing like when I tested the newer formulations. It smells peppery,spicy soft and clean (i guess like soap). anyways this is a classic, It reminds me of my grandmother when I wear it, which is exactly why I wear it.

Deirdre1969
Deirdre1969

This is my mother's signature fragrance. She may try others but always goes back to this, and I'm glad. It's not for me, but it brings comforting memories.

RGR
RGR

I think this perfume should be respected because it has seen change and remains heavenly when the right person wears this. I am always taken aback when I smell this on ladies, particularly young ones.

This is a perfume that starts a little sharp with the aldehydes and then you get carnations, violets, powdery petals. The dry down arrives with a spicy sweetness. On my skin this is mostly violets, roses and powder. Its a classic LADY scent that will adorn your skin. I spray it and walk through the mist with freshly showered skin. Wait a couple of minutes and you are ready to go out.

To me, L'Air du Temps is a nostalgic perfume. The carnation perhaps. This perfume is not defined by modern or changing times. Its just not right to expect a bakery or gourmand out of this. I don't understand why people expect that outcome from this jewel. The same way you can't expect a vintage jukebox to look like an iPod.

kflinta
kflinta

Always a pleasant sensory memory.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

I remember smelling this on a friend in high school years ago. I haven't smelled it in a long time, but the memory of that soothingly soft and exquisite feminine fragrance remains in my mind. This is what the nostalgic power of fragrance is all about.

buren
buren

Today I found vintage .85 ounce L'Air du Temps EDT splash (as well as !!!!!! .85 ounce Farouche EDT splash) at my favorite thrift store. The bottles were almost full and the scents were in beautiful condition.

I am really enjoying the light cloud of warm floral spice, some of my favorites: bergamot, rosewood, peach...a little rose...especially with the cedar and sandal undertones. The sweet notes (violet, iris, amber) are subtle. I think I will wear this going out with a friend for his birthday on Sunday!

My mother was a great carnation fan. I wish she were around: I would loan her a little....but then she would want it all!

Abendlicht

This is how my mom smelled when I was a little kid. Hard to not love.... It's not a perfume I would wear. Not because I don't like it, but because its my mom. It is one of those perfume that is exclusively feminine. It is fresh and elegant.... I found a "couture edition" with feathers and I'm going to give it to her. :0)

Berlynn
Berlynn

L'air is a very clean and feminine scent, and a timeless classic. I found it smelled mildly soapy on me at first, but it dried into something fresh, floral and beautiful. I also love the Lalique designed bottle, its a work of art.
The more I smell this scent I know that my great aunt wore it for many years. It reminds me of sitting at her pink vanity and trying on her perfumes as a child. Its not one I would wear frequently, as it is REALLY strong! but I would wear it on certain occasions.

xanman
xanman

This scent reminds me of the fresh clean air of a rainy spring day combined with newly trodden green grass and a slight hint of a spicy carnation. One or two sprays of the EDT lasts all day. Can be worn all seasons but I prefer spring and autumn. Thankyou

mcgood
mcgood

Love the vintage stuff!!

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is a review from someone who hasn't lost their 'sense of smell'. L'air du temps was my signature scent when I was in my late teens. Although it has gone through a reformulation, it is still recognizable. The delicious spiced carnation and woody powdery drydown and mixture of other notes made this so unique.

L' air du temps has obviously stood the test of time, it has been around since 1948, and inspired a number of other perfumes through the years. One of the true gems, among a host of thousands of perfumes that come and go these days. I would definately choose this over many of them. Powdery, spicy, and glamorous.

jackgirl
jackgirl

This has always been my favourite!
Unfortunatelly this for sure has been reformulated.
I haven't wore this for more than 10 years, now I bought it again and it's not the same thing anymore.
I don't smell the classic carnation at all.
And it doens't last so much.
It's a pitty. Why do they feel the need to change everything that was beautiful?!

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

This isn't really my usual style, but for $2.50 for a 5ml bottle on clearance at my local drugstore I couldn't resist. It's adorable--has the little white birds on top (in plastic) and the fluted edges to the glass bottle. I dabbed a little on for church today, it's still too bloody hot in Texas for "fall" fragrances.

I had to spend the first 30 minutes resisting the desire to scrub it off, telling myself that it was a vintage-style fragrance and would need time to develop. It was screechy and brassy, very chemically; this is what I expect from nearly all florals on my skin, it's the curse of my chemistry.

After the first 30 - 45 min, the true florals came out. I got the gardenia and jasmine, I think I got the rose, and I may have gotten the spiciness of the carnation. I didn't get musk, oakmoss, cloves or other spices as individual notes--but there was something that definitely 'grounded' the florals. The fragrance felt well blended and balanced, with a lily-like 'feel' to it that made me think Easter and springtime. It was clean, the florals made it a tiny bit 'soapy', but not weak.

After initial screechiness, it lasted for about 3 hours with sillage just beyond a skin scent. No compliments (darn) but I liked it. This was certainly worth the price I paid--it's so sweet on my dresser--and worth another try.

ammebirds

I spent a summer working in Hawai'i and kept this in the fridge. It was a delight to mist it on cold. The soft floral was perfect for the islands, but I never wore it again.

**Summer_Forever**
**Summer_Forever**

Classically beautiful. My mother's signature.

danielellarby
danielellarby

This perfume is a classic, so soapy and femenine, discrete, it's like having a personal breeze blowing on your skin.

I really can't believe someone can't like this perfume because it's so likeable.

Really beautiful!!

This fragrance brings me associations with a fragile floral bouquet. There is something gorgeous in this feeling.

Most of all I feel in it the carnation and cloves notes. In Russia we use one word to call them both "гвоздика", by the way:) The cloves note doesn't seem to me too spicy in this fragrance. And I even think that it makes it more serious in a good way. Despite of this note the floral notes in it and this fragrance in general seem tender enough.

I like that this fragrance is not sweet. It really makes it more noble.

The lasting power is really good thanks to the cloves note.

I really like L'Air du Temps. It's really worthy.

p.s. Beautiful bottle!

Pusur
Pusur

Today. Berlin. Sick and tired of all perfumes. I didn´t want to go to duty free even. Nothing seems to be special, or rather everything seems to smell the same. The same notes appearing better or worse behind everything I know... Then L`air du Temps. Hm... Doves looked a bit cheap to me to be honest (mea culpa, now I know who is behind bottle and I feel really bad). I´ve been seduced and taken away from Berlin airport into wild, open fields of carnations... And this delicate feminine vail. I felt so innocent. Don´t ask me why. I read the same feelings in one of comments. Something so lovely and harmless... Before I bought this one, I went on fragrantica (he he I like to know more and see how perfume is built, it is easier to predict what will happen if yo don´t have time to ``be``with scent longer then few minutes), I was so happy reading about history of LADT. It is matters! So I understood why scent is so feminine... It was born, when women were women and men were men.

Migalex
Migalex

One of the things which attracts my attention to a perfume, after the scent, is usually the name, although very few perfumes have a name which I find very suggestive and really appropriate. Well, this perfume I think has a really beautiful name, and not because of the way it sounds in French, but because of its meaning. Like some scents, it never erodes, giving me a sense of poetry everytime I pronounce it. The flacon is also beautiful. As for the scent, I do not dare to criticise such a deservedly, I think, classic perfume. The current version is neverthless quite different from the original. As far as I can remember, the original was much subttler, more complex and sophisticated, but much weaker. Now it is quite strong, but the scent is cruder and rawer, cruder and rawer carnation. I am not fond of the scent of carnation, and for that reason this is not one of my favorite perfumes and I do not like wearing it. I do think though that here the carnation is well used, giving it a sort of metalic texture similar to what hyacinth does to perfumes, although I like hyacinth much better. L' Air du Temps is a very well defined and immediately recognizable scent. As well as its place in the history of perfumery, a sign that its place as a classic is probably deserved is that people continue to appreciate it despite its not being much advertised, I think.

feathers
feathers

L'Air du Temps is a powdery, green floral-muguet principally but wonderfully supported by carnation and violet. The floral notes are very fresh and cool. I bought a gift-set of 1oz. EDP including lotion and shower gel for 15 USD. The reviews here convinced me I should try it. It was my grandmothers perfume, I vaguely can recall this bottle on her dresser and the smell of her bedroom. It reminds me of clean cool sheets, summer evenings. This perfume is even-tempered, not exciting, but gorgeous. I can appreciate how old-fasioned it might be for some, but it is a classic that I percieve as timeless. Learning to appreciate this perfume taught me that I Love Lily-of-the-valley and Violets. I already knew I loved carnations!

ladyimmortelle
ladyimmortelle

Too strong, too powdery. This is the only Nina Ricci perfume I DON'T like. Ouch.

missymary
missymary

Picked up a cheapo EDT travel spray version which is in an ordinary cylinder bottle not the lovely exotic wingy-thingy. It suits me fine because it needs lots of topping up, it's a weak EDT.

L'air du temps is written up as a great classic but I'm underwhelmed. Sure, it's got more freshness than I've ever had in powdery scent, and to that extent I'd say it's original, but that's not enough to make me a fan. The composition isn't standout interesting, although its totally right if you want something very gently floral and ladylike as a change from Anais Anais.

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

I got this recently. The bottle is gorgeous. The scent I wasn't sure about for the first ten minutes. It reminded me of Wind Song. I like Wind Song, but it's one of those once in a while fragrances for me--a stay at home, drab day in autumn or winter I think, the more I've worn it.

But this one, I really like. It bloomed into a nice green floral soon enough, and I love green. I can smell carnation and green. I think this is suitable for most seasons, too.

Rose of Qateef
Rose of Qateef

love love love this... it's my signature... a timeless classic... so feminine, clean & elegant. it's all i want in a perfume... my favourite.

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

It is a classic. Both my mom and aunt wore this with pride. Among the ladies in my family, I think they appreciated the freedom and relief of "the air of times" post WWII. I tribute the sentiment, and the beautiful vintage bottles, but I've finally outgrown it. The bath powder is lovely, but the juice is sharp, woody geranium which smells fine in the bottle but abrasive on my skin. Fond farewell to this one.

Lol48
Lol48

Bought for me by my husband, I regret I found it very hard to like, and I did try to like it. Am so sorry for him because the bottle was just beautiful, a work of art. I found it so sickly and couldnt warm to it at all. I still feel guilty when I think of it.

lickthetins
lickthetins

old fashioned but comforting. smells like mom. mom circa 1983 with shoulder pads and support hose and hairspray, goin to church.

mariasara
mariasara

This is not a trendy, loud scent. It´s a timeless classic, so feminine and discret, that you can wear all year round, night and day. It is a survivor of Nina Ricci's good times, and has nothing to do with the fragrances being launched these days... It reminds me of talc, soap, incense and carnations. I love it! The scent of carnations is proeminent, so I wouldn´t recommend this if you don´t like the smell of carnations.
And yes, like Mystica (loved her beartiful review)I also find there is something very spiritual about this scent

paulie86
paulie86

I first bought windsong last year after hearing it was a dupe for L'air du Temps but thought it was way too harsh and brash. Windsong was an overall pretty scent but I couldn't handle the tenacity of it. L'air du Temps on the other hand was a gorgeous, airy, powdery scent the same kind of fragrance but with higher quality ingredients. I recently picked up L'air du Temps today from the perfume shop the huge sized edt for 40 dollars was a steal lol but i'm kind of on the fence about it. It's extremely soft and powdery and slightly floral. I'm sure it'll smell stronger if I spray more I only used one spritz on my wrist. I'm sure L'air du Temps will grow on me it's perfect for a spring and summer signature scent.

Update: as the day went on and L'air du Temps started to fully drydown it gets stronger in smell as well as sillage, it becomes more floral and powdery with a touch of herbal greeness like flower stems it's absolutely breath taking lol. L'air du Temps becomes one with your body chemistry like your skin naturally smells of this beautiful fragrance, way better now than when i've sampled it in the past. Longevity was amazing for one spritz applied in the early afternoon I could still smell it lightly on my wrist the next day. I'm so happy that I finally have L'air du Temps in my collection after overlooking it so many times.

Specklechan
Specklechan

I was really excited to try this perfume after reading the reviews here, and the notes sounded lovely. However I tried it on in the duty free at an Heathrow and it smelled disappointingly of soap. In fact it was quite overpowering. It seems it was too powdery to compliment my skin chemistry.
It came out quite schizophrenic because once the soap vanished it smelled delightful! Lots of spicy, powdery floral notes. The longevity was amazing, I could still smell it at the end of the 9 hour flight.
The bottle is gorgeous and I would buy a small one just for that, but I'd make sure to put it on a good hour before going out, as I'd like to smell of perfume and not like I've doused myself with liquid soap.

phyrexianc
phyrexianc

I fell in love with the beautiful bottle, too bad the perfume itself smells ordinary soapy. It´s fresh and clean, but soapy.

mystica
mystica

My memories with it do shape the way I perceive a particular scent, and in this case it really becomes hard to write an objective review about a perfume.

Ninna Ricci's L'Air du Temps to me, is the scent of a church, almost everything Christian (Catholic) and it particularly reminds me of Mother Mary. Because this was the perfume I particularly chose and doused myself with on a summer day which I've spent in a beloved sacred place...

It smells so very clean, innocent and feminine to me, everything I longed for that is. The carnation and spices combined with flowers make that "holy" effect for me, and absolutely not in a gothic style as it goes for YSL's NU or Opium. L'Air du Temps is what I wear when I want to feel younger and innocent.

It could be a strange coincidence that just at a time when I was searching for a monastery retreat, unaware of my particular interests (perfumaniac and a spiritual seeker) my mum whom I wanted a random perfume gift from has returned with a bottle of L'Air du Temps for me...

Smelling it after years was like going back in time and ending up in that beautiful place again. Exactly what I needed...

ailishlu
ailishlu

One of the very first `expensive`perfumes I ever wore as a teenager and it´s still with me. This will always be my all time favourite. It´s so beautiful and elegant. I don´t understand why some people have written that it´s an old lady´s scent. I don´t get that at all. It doesn´t have the heaviness and sweetness associated with old lady perfumes. This one is very light and breezy to me and can be worn for every occasion. I don´t really get any spicy notes. I immediately get a powdery floral which is very pleasant. The staying power is really good. it lasts the whole day on me. This one is a keeper and suitable for all ages.

amigdala
amigdala

Simply amazing,delicate and timeless fragrance!!

Filigree
Filigree

This was my signature scent for as long as I can remember (am now on the hunt for a new one, but this is still one I revisit frequently). Initially, it's light and perfect for daytime, but evolves into something warmer and more elegant as the day goes on. In a word, it's beautiful.

I think that the reason I've drifted away from this is that they've discontinued the parfum classic (in the beautiful crystal flacon designed by Lalique). It just doesn't quite smell the same or have the same staying power. When a perfume company changes an old, original perfume, they break hearts. My heart is just not the same without the original that my mother used to dab on me as a little girl. I wore this through high school, beyond, and when I got married. I've stretched my old bottles as far as they can go and am reluctantly using the spray now.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

Elegant, feminine floral with carnation and powdery spices as the dominiant notes on my skin. This perfume never fails to get a compliment if worn in the spring or summer.

I really have to spray it on if I don't want to refresh the perfume all day. The lasting power isn't the greatest. This lasts a long time on fabric though.

This is the only Nina Ricci perfume I like. This one really blooms on me. It is one of my husband's favorites on me.

It reminds me of everything feminine- fragrant flower gardens, walking in a beautiful and elegant garden, weddings, lace, pearls and powder.

Solve
Solve

A scent of a lady, and therefore my grandmother. I like it to, in light doses. floral, elegant - a little powdery.

tweedlibrarian
tweedlibrarian

This fragrance is just too...floral/flowery for me. My grandmother bought me a bottle when I was a teenager, many years ago. I recently tried it again but I still don't like it.

easybeauty.via giolitti
easybeauty.via giolitti

Un profumo classico, puro ed elegante. Non è una fragranza sexy ma ti fa sentire completamente a tuo agio quando lo indossi. Se una persona di giovane età è capace di capirlo, ha trovato un tesoro che si sta perdendo proprio nel tempo.

diego.lesgart
diego.lesgart

Picante casi ardiente y luminoso... el frasco fabuloso artistico, lo use, a mi olfato entre masculino y unisex...

Aspendina
Aspendina

this is the most nasty fragrance, well not the worst but in my top 5 worst, its so bad and smells like old ladies and rotten flowers, why, why, why did I spray this on myself?

SandraV

I'm revisiting this to see if I still get carnation overload but for some reason it isn't as bad as the first time I wore it(which was last July when I first reviewed it).I still don't think I will wear it much but I can see it's appeal:there is something in there that is keeping my nose plastered to my wrist even though I can't wear anything with carnation.I'm actually getting other notes besides just that clove smell.Interesting.....

tpeacock
tpeacock

My mother loved this distinctive perfume. Clean but has warmth. A little too heady for me but an undeniable classic.

Peachply
Peachply

This spring I'm having a renewed experience with L'air du Temps...on me it's very softly spicy the powdery /floral accords being the least noticeable of the notes.
There is something very complex and serious about this scent and it appeals the adult in me, it's a grown up scent.

It is very compelling and thoroughly un-modern which I find appealing. I would call this a compelling scent because it has me questioning it continuously. There is something comforting about the powder, spice and floral accords combined.
Is it possible to be comforted and unsettled all at once? That's kind of how it makes me feel, there is melancholy here and I find it haunting.

Yes, this is a haunting melancholic scent also very suited to a man I might add, nothing too flowery here it's austere and find it perfect in fall as opposed to spring/summer as most have mentioned. It is reminiscent of things going inward and retracting as opposed to blossoming. There is a lot of reflection within this aura.

nananessa
nananessa

I wore this for a few years as my signature scent in my early-mid 20s (early 80s). I loved this floral. I recall it was one floral that didn't blast me with aldehydes such as No5 did. It just blended well with my chemistry & I always got compliments on it.

romrom
romrom

Such a classic scent, L`air du temps is an essence of everything soft and feminine, to me this is not a sexy scent but it does make me feel beautiful.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

Romantic, elegant, lady like....very soft; a classic. It was one of my first scents. As a child I smelled pretty and like my mom. She use to love this one. I keep a bottle around and use it for daytime as I like my evening frags on the bold side.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

My mother always had a great nose for grand perfumes. This one was one of her favorites and smelled always great on her. Unfortunately it's also one of the few that I own but never wear. It simply doesn't suit me. I tried so hard to like it but the smell becomes watery yet obnoxious on me. It's a pity, but alas. If it works on your skin consider yourself lucky! For its florals that become a powdery bouquet of something musky, is recognizable and the bottle is very pretty on your beauty table.

ALaM
ALaM

I'm surprised people associate this with "old ladies" or feel it's dated it in some way (for better or for worse). I get the opposite impression and I was quite surprised when I found out it came out so long ago! To me it's whimsical, youthful, vibrant, lush. Someone said in one of the reviews that every newer generation has to assert it's independence by putting down the previous ones. I see more of the opposite. It seems to be the older generations need to assert their independence by putting down newer generations and talking about how their generation was superior and they certainly came from the golden age using rather dubious and comical criteria. I think this can be enjoyed (reformulated or not) by all generations and is not limited to a certain age group or era. As any REAL classic worth while should be.

Margarita1982
Margarita1982

I love it, it is filled with so many memories...and whenever i wear it i travel to past times...

chanchita
chanchita

I remember first coming accross this frag as a teenager. It hurt my nose and is still to this day reminiscent of 'old lady' to me. I find it unkind, overpowering and chaste.

pattyjm59
pattyjm59

I love love love this perfume, and have worn it for as long as I can remember! In fact, in the last 30 years, I have almost exclusively worn only two scents: this perfume, and a lovely cologne called "Heaven Sent."

feminine. a little sweetness, a little sharpness, a little green. powdery and dry at the finish. let's not forget the dominant carnation note which makes it stand out. a classic and very lady-like. i'm wearing it today for my birthday and it makes me feel and smell terrific.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Innocent yet seductive at the same time. A very wet soft floral with the sharp dryness of carnation. This reminds me alot of Guy Laroche Fidji but is much milder and softer. Unfortunately L'air du temps makes me sneeze constantly there is something in there which acts like white pepper and just sets me off everytime. Beautiful and elegant classic nevertheless.

LCasimiro
LCasimiro

As a teenager I adored this perfume. My older twin brothers bought me a small bottle of the perfume for Christmas in 1973 or 1974. I was thrilled! I saved it for special occasions and always felt so sophisticated when I wore it. It became very dear to me when one of my brothers that gave it to me died in 1975. I still have the beautiful bottle and yes, it still is half full. It still smells beautiful, sophisticated, and never fails to take me back to a time of innocence and happiness.

Sorcerer1001

This one i initially bought blind and just liked in the beginning. Since then it has grown on me to the extent to be in my top 5 favorites. It doesnt really smell flowery to me and i dont mind it at all. I love florals, but its not often ive come across one like this. I only have the newer version; i presume it has been reformulated. However, i did have the chance to try a vintage bottle. It was a little sweeter, and in a way fruity. I almost dare not to say fruity because i feel even in my own mind it conjures to mind melons and papayas and all that jazz which is not what its all about. Altogether it is VERY VERY close to the brand spanking new one which i am very proud of. It smells like the air of distinction and sophistication. Not at all smug or self righteous, but just glowing with timeless self assurance. I smell it and immediately picture a well clad beauty of the 40s walking down the street with a clutch, a tilted hat and a tailored coat. Sort of like a Dita von Teese <3. Not many scents draw images like that to my mind and i think that is the sort of je ne sais quoi that makes me love this antique so freaking much :-)

SanDiegoNose
SanDiegoNose

The dry down is so beautiful on me and my sister and my aunt. Maybe we all share the same body chemistry. We all love it, and not so much when we first put it on, but after it's had a while to settle in. Wonderful sillage and lasting power -- all day. I catch hints of it if I, for instance, stand up after having been sitting for a while. It just makes me feel luscious and special. It's classic and feminine maybe a bit retro, and I love and will always love it. Especially now that I know the story behind the scent (a celebration of peace at last, after the end of World War II).

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

It's really interesting to read these reviews, to see how differently something is perceived by different people. Amazing.

I was introduced to LDT back in the early seventies, when I was a youngster who liked haunting perfume counters. I liked this scent, and remember it was very popular at the time. I think the scent of carnation was the draw for me, and in the body lotion I detect a little myrrh, which is another favorite smell. It reminds me a little bit of the fragrance of Roger & Gallet's carnation soap.

It's strange, to me, to read this described as a scent for elderly women, since even when I was a kid I thought of it as a scent for a little girl or ingenue. All depends on how you look at it. I was amused by Cubby's statement, to the effect, that someday fragrances like Angel will be described as "old": every new generation has to assert it's independence by putting down the likes and loves of the previous one, it seems. I believe it.

LDT is not one of my big loves, but occasionally I wear it, and usually have on a dusting of (don't laugh) good old Johnson's Baby Powder from after my shower. For some reason, this combination of baby powder and a tiny bit of LDT never fails to get compliments! It's a soft smell, not very sexy or dramatic but comforting in it's own way. Just clean and sweet.

Anyway, to each his or her own!

LindyLou
LindyLou

On me I think I particularly smell cardamom in this. It could be a different note I'm unfamiliar with though since I haven't been able to find anything that really says it contains cardamom. It's delicate and doesn't turn into a spice shop on my arm. Although it's light it's noticeable and long-wearing. In winter it can seem a little melancholy. It's a great scent for summer, but not what people expect. It's definitely a sophisticated scent. No sneezy notes it's also one I can wear around sensitive noses. It's fantastic.

Maeva
Maeva

This was my first signature back in the 80s-90s. As a teenager, I found this scent deeply fascinating, and so did my classmates, so I disagree with those of you who said this is only meant for grown-up ladies. Yes, it may have been the signature of many women from 1948 on, and now they are old ladies, but if this one has stood the test of time in such a way it is because it has appealed to women of all ages for so many years, which in itself should prove it’s a real classic, not a dated “oldie”. If not, why is it that a bottle of LADT is sold every five minutes around the world? I don’t think the buyers are only old ladies. And after all, mustn’t poetry be accessible to all ages?

Some of you said this is a sad scent, but it isn’t so for me, or if it is it’s the scent of joy after sadness. This is pure bliss, true perfume sorcery, a celebration of love and peace (of mind) regained after a crisis. Maybe, especially if we bear in mind the historical moment of its creation, this inspires nostalgia for the times in which we didn’t know that conflict existed. As a teenager I didn’t know much about its origin, but it really was comforting to find shelter in it when I felt disappointed or depressed. Yes, I was a perfume freak in the making, and I already took frags too seriously and expected too much from them. It seems a leopard never changes its spots :)

Even the (much soapier) edt has a kind of opulence that takes you back to a stage of longed-for past well-being. It is subtle and dreamy, sensual only in a discreet way, but also rich and deep like Opium (I agree with sweetnspicey; I never related LADT to Opium back in my youth, but I do now). I get the first hints of carnation in its beautiful opening, a somewhat fruity one. Then it develops into a delicate spicy combination of carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang and orris. After some 5 hours on my skin it dries down into powdery sandalwood, musk and a slight hint of iris, making me wish for more.

I never strayed far from L’Air. Or if I did I always came back to it. It’s just me. Or rather just us, taking into account its countless lovers around the world. I myself I’m proud to attract more and more users into loving it. People often ask me what divine perfume I'm wearing. Sometimes LADT can be a real magnet!

Kharnak
Kharnak

What i remember most of this was the White floral noes. Gardenia, Jasmine, Neroli, Carnation, Rose.
The impression, Very.... Very... Delicate. If that makes sense. Extremely feminine. Girly, young, but not nymphy like the modern girly fragrances. It tells me "easy now.. be gentle" Just a very clean, gentle, refined and very complex white floral.
This falls into a category of mine that i call "Ultra-feminine"(Like Thierry Mugler Womanity), where a guy could never ever get away wearing. But it's a really comforting fragrance to just have around.

Hallo_smiling
Hallo_smiling

smells classic.. but as i was a child i used to wear it .. actually after 20 years it does not match with me .. :(

Shydaniels
Shydaniels

My grandmother used to wear this. When I was very young, I used to sneak into her bedroom and admire the bottle with the doves on the stopper. I recently bought it for myself, and after spraying my wrist I thought it smelled a little like something I already own. After some sniffing I realized it was Chloe (original formula). So I sprayed the other wrist with Chloe to compare. Right out of the bottle they do smell similar, but after a couple of hours, Chloe is warm and peachy, and L'air Du Temps is softer and more floral. Both are beautiful! If you like one, you may like the other.

Fizzy

This is no smell for winter, Habanita - try this in hot summer and only EdP, because the EdT is too sharp and with too much alcohol in it. Beautifull smell of carnation, good silage and longevity.

While I liked it on others, the skin test on me completely failed. For me it was too fresh and citrsuy. My BF even said it smelled like after shave. So not for me.

Fragaria

Elegant, elegant, delicate, feminine, clean, peaceful, elegant, heavenly, spiritual....infinity!

Eicher
Eicher

L'Air du temps is indeed an eternal fragrance.
It's a very soft, sensual and discrete scent. I believe this to be one of the top creation ever in perfume's history.

LDani
LDani

I don't normally like vintage/classic perfumes, as they are often associated with "old ladies' scent" or "grandma's scent" and also because those perfumes are definitely not targeted for young people (you will never see a No.5 or Opium ads with the model still looks like a teenager) and usually they smell pretty strong too.
I got a sample of this one, and I surprisingly liked it. It smells quite vintage, but in a peaceful, calming, and beautiful way. It really suits the fact that this perfume was first launched after the end of the catastrophic World War 2 and the doves on the top totally represent this historical event and of course, the smell.
Maybe I will not wear this perfume until i feel like I'm 'mature' enough for it, but this is already on my favorite perfume list :)

lettyb76
lettyb76

My aunt bought me a small bottle of this for Christmas when I was in Junior High and I remember really liking it. It smells powdery, soft, and innocent.

scottishlassie19
scottishlassie19

This is my mother's perfume and my aunt's. They have both worn it exclusively forever and it smells slighty different on each of them. I like to keep a bottle of it around and wear it on days when I feel like I need a hug. The EDP smells more woody and less powdery than the EDT. Also, if you don't like the powdery smell then try just wearing the body cream. I hope it is never reformulated like so many of the classics as those versions tend to smell like drug store knock offs.

Nikitha
Nikitha

aww, it is not lasting on me at all.
Also when i spray it, all i can feel is the smell of a beauty bar soap...nothing else....
still on the hunt to find myself "my" perfume
The only ones i have ever liked are J'adore & Eternity Moment... better luck to myself next time.

katebensley
katebensley

I am 43 and fell head first, no heels involved, in love with L'Air de Temps when I was 12 or 13--not an old lady. I NEEDED this scent, sought it out best I could at the Marshal Field's perfume counter --steal a quick smell, off my grandmother's dressing table, my great aunt's, at the Weibolt's if available, etc. Then one Christmas, it was ALWAYS on my list, my mother receives a huge! bottle from my grandmother, mom says "thank you." and rarely if ever uses it, nor can I--too special, it is hers--to NOT use. I was a teen and coveted the smell that my mother did not like and my grandmother thought, I suppose was too "expensive" for a young lady? I recently purchased my own bottle and swooned when I smelled it's delightful, heady, floral, powdery, spicy, carnation and whatever the hell else is in there that makes me weak in the knees!

karaaslang
karaaslang

purely joy, delicate, soft, powdery...I like it very much BUT it is not fulfilling. You know some fragrances have this baaam effect, this one is missing it. Yes it is attractive, you wanna hug that person, she smells abosultely delicious but still no distinctness. 6/10.

CalicoSilk
CalicoSilk

If you like to get and give HUGS this is the fragrance to where. The scent is so pleasant and subtle I've had people give me a hug just so see if it is me they are smelling and to get a closer whiff.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I don't understand why people complain that a perfume is too strong, lol, it just means you need less of it! It's a better value. If you want something week that you can spray all over yourself, buy this get a refilable purse spray bottle, fill it 25% with this, then 75 percent water/alchohol ..lol

Spido
Spido

My mother had this for a short while when I was young and I hated it. Very glad that she changed. I doubt I'll ever try it on myself.

zainab amir
zainab amir

This is the smell that always lingers in my mothers things.The scent is beautiful on her somehow it doesn't come out the same on me.Still that doesn't change the fact that its gorgeous

ION
ION

"L'Air du Temps" is up there on top (along with "Magie Noire", "Beautiful", "Coco", "Paris", No 5", "Samsara", "Tresor", "Anais Anais", "Amarige", "Miss Dior", "Dolce Vita" e.t.c) as one of the finest female perfumes!
I won't say much about it, it is a round smell but with an angle, comforting and inviting, very memorable!
It is amazing how marketing driven shoppers of today snob perfumes like this one. I gave my paper sample (sprayed with "L'Air du Temps") to a woman this evening who was confident that the latest Gucci (or was it Prada?) is the best perfume of this world, and she was astonished.
If only had I told her that this came out right after the Second World war II!!..

an advice: get the EDP version.

iboudesign
iboudesign

This scent is just my mother. When I smell that fragrance, it's her. My mother is a very stable and conservative woman. Long time as I can remember, she always had that smell and no other one. Rather it easy to choose a perfume for her as a gift, we can not be wrong. This is it. It smell very good, it smell soft, it smell my mother. Let me tell you a very important memory for me. My parents were divorced, I was very young little girl. My parents had my guard two weeks by month. When my father came to fetch me for the week, my mother was preparing my backpack and my teddy bear snowball. When I opened my bag went to my father home, there was always the fragrance of l'air du temps on my clothes and my teddy bear. My mother took care of her perfume spray in my bag that I think of her. It is a beautiful memory for me and a way, I can say that I often wear this perfume, without me ever being bought a bottle for myself. :)

calliope07
calliope07

A bit sharp for my tastes, but it mellows to a nice, lingering whisper with bright notes when it's on awhile.

trollet
trollet

This is my mother-in laws perfum. And on her it smells divine. She is 85 and has used it "forever" When you enter her house you feel,yes I said feel, this scent lingering around. Not it your face smell, but a nice,soft, cosy and clean smell. I've tried it several times but on me it gets bitter. So sad. It's a very elegant and ladylike scent. (I guess I'll never be ladylike, not with this scent anyway.)If you have it and it works well for you, use it. It's lovely.

birdy

hi soulflwr, l'air du temps means some thing timeless, go with the trend and tendecy, a classique you can wear even years after! we say in french someting à "l'air du temps" mean something contemporary fashionnable! and i find l'ADT very wearable actually, nice, fresh, but it doesn't have the same attraction with everybody!

arimegahot

soulflwr, L'air du temps means "the air of times" and for your description I think you are right!!

soulflwr
soulflwr

This was a blind buy, but had I known it had carnation in it I would have left it at the store. When I first sprayed it, I thought this smells like deodorant or those cheap knock off body sprays that you get from the drugstore. Kind of like a "non-smell" if that makes sense. I use deodorant every day so I don't consider deodorant a fragrance per se, so when I smelled this for the first time I immediately thought "How dare you make something that smells like this!"

Then I after I calmed down a bit, I acknowledged that maybe the scent of what we now call deodorant may have at some time been considered an acceptable, legitimate perfume to wear for a night out on the town, wearing your Sunday best, ballroom shoes, wedding dress, ect...

To the point >>> This stuff smells like Wind Song by Prince Machiabelli. Not only does it smell like it, the packaging, graphics, and even names are similar. L'Air du Temps....does anyone know what that translates to in English? I have a suspicion it has something to do with air and some other intangible thing, like spirits, or angels, or birds even ( as the packaging suggests). Anyway, if you're curious, just go to your local drugstore, pick up a $1.99 aerosol can of Wind Song >>> spray it, sniff it, and if you like it...save your money and buy that!

Lil Mju
Lil Mju

What a fragrance... I'm a teenager and i ADORE this. I mean, it's not that i wear it (a bit too young for that :)), but i definitely love smelling this! My grandmother used to wear this and smelling it makes the happiest memories... i probably smell carnation the most, it's not loud but soft and powdery IMHO. a great scent for mature women. brings a touch of feminity, but not the usual type - the "womenly" type (is there a word like that?) i mean i smell this and see a woman that is not perfect or really beautiful or rich, but still very feminine, and gorgeous. I think the 'main idea' of this frag is that being a woman is already beautiful, elegant and simply glorious. And you can definitely be proud of it.

JToronto
JToronto

I wore this as a young girl and it made me feel feminine and sophisticated. To me it is a classic floral. Unlike other reviewers, I still believe this is a perfume for a young girl. Like very structured, vintage-revival clothing, a girl can pull it off exactly because of the contrast of the "old fashioned" smell on a young animal. Definitely to be avoided by middle-aged women as I fear it will make us seem not only older, but set in our ways. So, I have moved on, but I still have a nostalgic liking for its romance. A perfume I would buy for my daughter...

MaiCecile
MaiCecile

After reading the Princess Diana wore this, I really wanted to like it. But to me it just smells like the 80s. Perhaps it was beautiful then, but it is just not me now. There are some scents that can stand the test of time. I don't believe this is one of them, unfortunately.

summerinthecity
summerinthecity

After spraying on my wrist it smells like mothballs or mosquito repellent. First half an hour it is very loud, then calms down and becomes more balanced, but still strong. For me it is rather powerful than romantic.
I have placed it into my "don't like" cathegory because of its intensity and too "vintage" feel. Not my cup of tea, however, the drydown is noble and I understand why many people love it. This perfume has zest and worth trying.

birdy

love it, same powder as chanel N19.i talk about the L'ADT EDT version, the EDP is so different and difficult to describe.

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

When I see this bottle on the counter at the department store I always think of "Silence of the Lambs"....Hannibal Lector tells Clarice Starling that he knows she "....wears L'Air du Temps, but not today"....he could smell it simply by her opening her handbag. She wasn't wearing it the day she went to visit him.

lyria
lyria

Gentle, feminine powder. Inoffensive, relaxing. A slightly dry note appears and then goes. I like to come back to it when I am not sure what to wear…

salihah
salihah

love the bottle not the scent i started coughing after spraying it from a tester at debenems

mylancome
mylancome

I'm 30, The day I wear this perfume, my neighbor (in 40) came to my house to say hello, he say this smell wonderful. He's a man that knows nothing about perfume. A friendly perfume that is widely accepted.

Sorcerer1001

Very nice, very powdery. Took me some time to get used to but i love it!

krmarich
krmarich

Ah, shining through the postwar haze come L'Air Du Temps. I remember my mother enjoying this in summer days in the 1980s in its original formula. This is light cotton dresses and cold glasses of iced tea by the poolside. It never was offensive and always made a statement of grace.

It is more of a post chypre without fruit and add spice. It was romance in a bottle.

The current reformulation lacks any depth and indeed seems like an imposter.

Celebrity=Betty Grable

boruvka44
boruvka44

I see a chic young lady from Film Noir movie in chiffon dress.
Also reminds me of the beautiful smell of bed linen, that was drying outside my grandma's garden in summer sun. When it was dry and warm from the summer breeze, it went to a chest with a piece of soap in each drawer.
EDT - white floral, crisp fresh, clean and elegant. It is powdery and the carnation gives it old fashioned smell. It's like some jewel from old times, that you almost hasitate to wear these days as everything is so fast, flashing and noisy now.
Another great thing is the price.
EDP - it lacks the special crisp soapy smell that makes this fragrance, so i will pass on EDP version. Also the lasting pover on my skin is about the same as EDT. EDP is smoother and more woody. If you like the flowers in the EDT but it's too soapy for you, try the EDP.

I.I
I.I

L' Air du Temps (Eau de Toilette).
Simply fantastic! Very elegant and classical perfume, mostly suitable for 'ladies' than for girls (it could be worn by younger ages though, unlike other perfumes).
Not a sexy but a very elegant perfume, it reminds me of a 'proper' woman with a somewhat offical and sofisticated dressing style.
I have to admit that the Perfume version is very strong and overpowering and I don't like it that much. It smells quite old fashioned. This one, the Eau de Toilette, is much fresher, lighter, more playful.
I'm just very happy I have my 100ml bottle for an unbelievable price!
Recommended for everyone who likes classical perfumes and carnation scent.

glama
glama

Light floral, last a long time & this was one of my 1st bottles of parfume when I was about 12 & kept the bottle for 15 yrs it was the prettiest bottle.

alice_fotini
alice_fotini

This fragrance really puzzled me.

Today I walked in a perfumery just to check what’s on sale and noticed L’Air du Temps. Thought to give it a try. So I sprayed generously my wrist and inhaled with enthusiasm but oops…I got suddenly intoxicated by an chemical mix that smelled anything but the regular high-quality mainstream perfume. The impact was so strong, that I started coughing.

First things that came in to my mind:

1.Pictures of old ladies that just had their hair done at the hair dresser, permanent hair curls and lots, lots of hair spray…
2.Very old-fashioned scent
3.L’Air du Temps is such an appropriate name! (irony)

After many hours (the staying power is remarkable) the scent changed into a powdery, soapy, somewhat clean one, and definitely classy, a combo that I usually love. Moreover…I adore carnation scent.

Have to say that from the beginning till the end, this perfume has a strong identity and evokes the Woman. Alright, in this case the old-school Woman. :)

So although I was ready to hit the ‘dislike’ button, now I am considering buying it just for my personal collection. I will not wear it daily, but it is a classic and a good-to-have for perfume lovers in general.
-------------------
Later edit:

Eventually I purchased the EdT and love it. After all, I am crazy about carnations. The bottle is beautiful just like a china ornament.

My partner sniffed it too and commented disapprovingly: " What's this oily scent...I am convinced it is a ...classic". The benzoin must have hit him badly too. Oh well. I like it.

Marianne, DK
Marianne, DK

This was the first real scent i bought, way back in history. It is still one of my absolute favourites, though I sense a change both in formula and lasting power. But the carnations are still there, lovely as ever.

SandraV

I really wanted to love this as the bottle is stunning but unfortunately after the initial lovely powdery scent I get in the beginning it turns to straight carnation on me-which smells like cloves.I will keep it just for the bottle alone-and the hope that maybe my chemistry will change and I can wear it.

Nogitsune07
Nogitsune07

Temperate. Understated. Quietly beautiful. L'air du Temps is a whisper of a floral perfume, very light, like a welcomingly soft breeze coming through an open window on a hot day, or the airy feel of chiffon against bare skin. I can understand how some people think LdT has an "old lady" smell (if I can be forgiven for using the term). My mother hates this one, claiming it smells too musty, and even mouldy by the dry-down. Certainly, she has a point. LdT has a powdery quality, like the old-fashioned soap you might find in those quaint bathroom supply shops. You can envision elegant ladies wearing their Sunday best dresses, tidily arranged around in a circle sipping tea on a hot day, their skins dusted generously with talc. This is absolutely a classic lady's fragrance, and by that I suppose I mean to say that it smells like refinement, common sense and good manners. The florals lend it an element of whimsy and romance, but as with the other emotions LdT evokes, it is a romance of the old-fashioned kind. Where courtship was gentle and savoured, girls were actually wooed by their admirers and given handwritten letters, a time when women were almost placed upon pedestals of beauty and virtue by their menfolk. The splendour of love from a bygone era you can call to mind when you smell LdT.

I also think this one is soft enough to be able to be worn both casually and for special occasions. The sillage is subtle, and as the perfume develops over time it begins to smell like your natural skin odour, only a little nicer. :) It's worth trying at least once to experience what I've been talking about.

The bottle must be one of the most wonderful creations in the perfume world. It is distinctive, poetic, and really an ingenious choice of design for the end of WWII. Beautiful.

takeasniff

Also I wondered if anyone knows if this has been discontinued or reformulated?

takeasniff

This reminds me of Escape by Calvin Klein or Sunflowers or something. It is bright and sunny but there is definitely a strong note in it that makes it less sweet and more serious. For that reason I think it can be worn casually or to a special occasion. I do like it but it almost has a tobacco smell to me or something green and damp but I cannot help sniffing it? It is floral but it doesn't shriek like Stella or Pleasures or any of those screechy sharp florals. It wouldn't offend anyone and it is serious enough to be worn to a meeting at the office or something where you want to appear professional but not standoffish which Gucci Envy can cause. I find it lasts but you really need the skin chemistry for this or it can smell stale and musty.

Siv55

Have they changed this? I remembered this scent as violety/powdery/soapy and very surprised to try again and find rosewood and very obvious cloves and spices. Perhaps I just remember the drydown from before? Right now all I smell is cloves. It seems a very dominant note.

Fizzy

It smells heavenly soapy (maybe like palmolive soap green) and clean (EDP), the only one scent, I want to sniff early morning after my shower. Gosh, I feel me so heavenly clean! It´s soap pure! I have body cream, soap, deodorant and the powder also. The EDP doesn´t bite you in your nose with sharpeness like the EDT and it hold on you from the morning until 1 PM. I wish to get the pure parfum, but I can´t find it. Perfect for warm and hot day.

N_STITCHES
N_STITCHES

My grandmother gave my mother a small bottle of L'Air du Temps pure parfum in a porcelain egg for Easter back in the '70's. I loved it. Mom never wore it, but I sneaked little dabs of it and adored it. I did end up with my own bottle eventually, but I will always remember that sweet little egg.

loismonahan
loismonahan

I love this - always have, but had to get around the fact that it was my aunt's signature fragrance and seemed to be so much "her's" that I could never quite do it.

I bought a gift set (eau de T, lotion, shower gel) last week and have been loving it!

I'm amazed at the staying power too. Eight hours! (the layering is undoubtingly helping!)

It's definitely a classic.

alfonsine
alfonsine

Okay so this perfume does smell old-fashioned, powdery, soapy ...it has that old-fashioned twange to it. I bought a 30ml and I returned it..because i thought that it was too old-smelling for me (im twenty fyi)..I even listed it under my fragrantica dislike shelf for awhile....but somehow I cant stop thinking about it! Goddamnit...i guess i'll give it another shot =) There's something about it's old fashion-ness that I like and maybe Im an old soul...also I'm a sucker for powdery perfumes and this one especially is a very distinct, classic french perfume. I agree with a fellow fragrantica reviewer that it feels like I'm travelling back in time whenever I spray this. Oh and I know that its quite strong but if you just spray a teeny bit of it, it's very nice =)

Nithyalakshmi
Nithyalakshmi

I used to love this scent and used to spary it on quite liberally about 10 years ago.I had to go on a trip and could'nt carry any glass/ bottles with liquid, so thought it would be a great idea to spary it onto my clothes before i pack them in.Bad bad idea! the result was quite nauseating and i felt suffocated with sweetness.Somehow i can nevr go near this perfume again.Loved the bottle..so pretty

sgiammic
sgiammic

Beautiful. So fresh, soapy, floral and light. Perfect for everyday use. This is my mother's signature scent - she first got it as a gift when I was born. I wore some from her bottle as my "something borrowed" on my wedding. It is not overpowering or heady at all, just smells like the emodiment of flowery freshness. When you get whiffs of it on someone, though, you can really tell that it's quality. Classic and flawless

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

This was my beautiful grandmother's signature scent. It is also the signature scent of a neighbor I loved. I think it is a timeless, classic, very elegant scent, and to me it smells expensive and refined. The actual scent to me is one of powder and soap, and it reminds me very much of Chanel No. 22, which was one of my first perfume gifts from a different grandmother.

Pinni
Pinni

I could swear we've had a tiny bottle of this in the wardrobe. I must have belonged to my great grandma. It's probably one of the reasons I associate ylang ylang with old ladies.

MustangAnnie
MustangAnnie

Absolutley beautiful. This was my very first perfume. I remember asking my mom for permission to start wearing perfume and her telling me that she knew exactly which one I should try first,L'AIR du TEMPS. I remember her telling me that she did not want me smelling too strongly or cheaply and told me that L'AIR de TEMPS would be neither of those. She was right. I have not used it in years but I distinclty remember smelling like roses and baby powder with just a hint of something earthy. Adored this scent and used for about 1 year before venturing out and trying other fragrances. I recommend this for women seeking a soft, feminine everday fragrance, for those with sensitive noses and, this seems odd, but for mothers with new babies in the home. We all know babies are super sensitive and think this would actually be a nice, calm smell to use around babies. Anyway, also would recommend this for mother's with little girls wanting to start wearing perfume (as my mom did for me). A classic and I love it.

Siv55

Had some of this years and years ago, a hand-me-down from my mum. It smelled powdery and violety and I wasn't very keen. I was disappointed that proper grown-up perfume was so similar to avon talc :/
I have recently got this again in a box set. It smells greener at first, then just violety. Still not keen.

derkargy
derkargy

Great bottle,beautiful packaging,pity for the perfume itself!It evokes a sense of disintigration on my skin,or reminds me something very old and dusty.

Cubby

And regarding calling a fragrance old-fashioned and for grannies ~ one day, Pink Sugar, Angel, and other popular ones of today (should they stand the test of time) will one day be called "granny" scents. For one to stand the test of time seems to me to speak to how popular it has been over the years and how well-made it is. In fact, to wear a fragrance that has been around for many decades gives me a wonderful feeling, because not many are wearing it!

Cubby

I was introduced to LDT in the 1960s and have worn it since 1977. I have seen many reformulations since then. The EDT in the 70s would last a very long time, but now seems fleeting. The EDT in the 1980s to mid 90s garnered me compliments all the time. Now when I smell the EDT, it is very pretty but doesn't seem to last. I even took one bottle back to a nice dept. store because when I sprayed it, it was pure water. I then bought the EDP. It lasts longer but smells a little different. I also bought the talc and cream in the pretty jar. That cream has a hint of LDT, but my, it is so different that I would not recommend it. I used to have a bottled lotion that was beautiful. That was in the early 2000s How I long for the LDT of the 60s and 70s. Wish I knew which one to buy on today's market; I'm not one to search out vintage scents on ebay.

Mizz K
Mizz K

This is probably the worst perfume I have ever tried on to be honest. No offense to anyone who likes it but to me it smells like old sweaty socks no joke.

Tried it on my skin first and the smell was so strong and disgusting I just wanted to go wash it off with a ton of soap. After that I tried it on a piece of paper and the smell was not as terrible as on my skin so I'm guessing it has something to do with chemistry aswell.

Still not a very pleasant scent though.

Mariame
Mariame

yes,cisco,this is lovely!You can never say it outdated no matter how many years have passed when it was launched,never boring but as classic as No5 ,unique formula.Feminine and best sillage-longevity.

cisco
cisco

As Malegria said so well L'air du Temps is the essance of everything floral and feminine. I bought a one oz. of the EDP and loved it so much I just ordered the 3.4 oz bottle of EDP. There are not many fragrances I would call both sexy and romantic. This is one of those fragrances. I believe I smell the Carnation and Rosewood at the beginning. However, it is so well blended and so comlex, despite being simply lovely, I cannot separate all the components. What I can do is say I love it and the EDP has a an average life.

So far as the issue of being old fashioned. Let me put it this way, do hot Toll House Cookies smell any less delicious than they did forty years ago? I think not. This is a beautiful classic that will smell wonderful so long as it is manufactured. Long live L'air du Temps!!!!

Update: I cancelled my order for more because I found out it is EDT. I have enough problem holding the EDP. The EDT would have to be applied too often.

ShannyO
ShannyO

Ah, L'Air Du Temps...... a beautiful reminder of childhood. Got my first bottle at ten years old, along with some Chanel N 5 ....(I was an 80's child living in a 50's glamor world!) This is truly a classic, not as lauded as, say, the aforementioned Chanel N 5..... but should be. There is nothing more feminine than a whif of L'Air Du Temps on a temperate spring time day. As with most of the older fragrances the formula allows for small doses; it stays with you all through the day, into the night and then some! It just smells like..... a woman, the epitome of elegance and grace.

millan
millan

Spay some last night for a birthday party( I have a heavy Hand) That was at 6:30 p.m and woke up at 7:00a.m and now it is 9:40a.m and I still can smell it.Wow!! It is long lasting! I got compliments and my neighbors son kept smelling my arms & neck and kept saying "you smell nice" I love it It is sexy one it's own way. They say it is old fashion but we should remember that these old fashion perfumes were made for young people in there time. SO they are not for old ladies they are made to be enjoy by everyone!!!!

arimegahot

huele como a talco con flores, tipo chanel No. 5, a la gente que le gusta ese perfume de seguro le gustará el aire de los tiempos, pero a mi no me gustó, se me hace que es muy tenue, y solo huele a limpio, pero ya eso todo. por otro lado es uno de los perfumes preferidos de mi mamá y en ella huele muy elegante y la ocupa casi diario. Diria que es mejor para señoras depues de los 40 años

Chanelette
Chanelette

It might seem weird to most of you, I guess, but when I put this on first and smelled it on my skin after a couple of minutes, the first thing I thought was OH MY GOD THIS SMELLS SO SEXY!
I would also say this scent is ladylike, youthful, sophisticated, clean and lovely, of course, but for some reason I find it VERY seductive in the first place. It smells like the skin of a woman coming out of the shower before she gets to sleep, dressed in a romantic(but also a kind of slutty -you know what I mean:-) creamy white lace nightie. LOVE IT!!!

Kiku
Kiku

I don't know why this is classified as a floral and considered powdery. The combination of carnation and cedar makes it woodsy and spicy and cool enough to blunt the heat. It is meltingly feminine without being cloyingly sweet. It's not very sweet at all. Even if you don't like the scent buy it for the beautiful bottle, arguably the most beautiful perfume bottle of all. It is being replaced with something that looks like a squashed bug.

elixir
elixir

In 1975,at the tender age of 13,i discovered this perfume in a Glamour magazine. If i recall correctly, it was the model Barbara Johnson posing in a tropical setting and back then there was a kind of small, scented area you could rub your wrist on unlike the seperate full page advertisements today. Because of the layout, the spicy notes in the fragrance made me think exotic but after loving this scent for over 30 years, it has always made me feel romantic. I know it seems heavy and old fashioned to some, although most reviews are positive here, but i have kept every single flacon i have ever owned just for that smell. It is rare and beautiful and only two people have ever given it to me as a gift~my mother and my first love. It *speaks* of love to me and all the nay sayers and doubters who feel their purchasing it was a mistake can send them straight away to me~

milkyway
milkyway

has anybody seen how incredibly ugly the new bottle is?..it looks like a dead jelly fish...why did they have to ruin such a pretty bottle?..

icekat
icekat

(This review is for Eau de Perfume)

I came to L’AIR DE TEMPS with certain expectations. I thought that this will be light and happy perfume like floating with the gentle doves in the clouds. But this perfume surprised me with its depth and an ability to affect me on very emotional level. This perfume is happy but at the same time very sad. The main lead is carnations. The carnation note can be very happy when it is set with the sweet spicy gourmand oriental theme but in this perfume it is paired with the strong floral bouquet, which gives it quite a different vibe.

L’AIR DE TEMPS was created in 1948 right after the devastating Second World War and I think that it managed to capture those special post-war feelings when the happiness and joy of starting the new life and celebrating the long-awaited peace were still haunted by the loss and pain. The perfume was built around carnations. The strange coincidence is that the red carnation is one of the greatest symbols of Second World War in Russia where I grew up. It is the same symbol as Red Poppy flower here in Canada. Perhaps it is a coincidence that it was selected as the main theme in this perfume but this scent reminds me so much of the heartfelt and warm stories of love , friendship and selfless acts of kindness during the war time my grandma used to tell me.

If I could describe this perfume I would probably call it hauntingly beautiful. It is a joy mixed with tears, happiness and sadness, celebrating the life and remembering what we have lost. True masterpiece…

The first notes are strong, fresh and a bit bitter with the dominance of carnation, neroli, peach and aromatic notes of bergamot. I think I feel a bit of aldehydes but they are not very strong.
The heart notes are also strong carnations with a bit of spice. I can definitely detect cloves. The ylang-ylang is also quite present. The rest of the floral notes create very strong but also harmonious bouquet.
The dry down transforms into powdery musk with benzoin and a hint of spices. After hours and hours of wearing this scent, the woody notes start appearing as the powder notes go away.

I have to say that the sharpness of carnation and spices is quite strong in this perfume but at the same time the composition remains very smooth, pleasant and harmonious. It never went to the point when I felt that it was too much or overpowering. The sillage is strong and the longevity is remarkable.

This is a wonderful fragrance to wear. I would definitely suggest it if you like classy floral fragrances with full and spicy bouquet.

I have the parfum. Really short reviews here, and so many of them talk about breezy summer days and powder. I humbly beg to differ. This scent contains so much woods and spice that I can't understand why it would be classified as a floral. It does not remind me of anything remotely light and breezy. If someone told me it was a new variation of Opium, I would not argue. Rather than ladies at garden parties in the 40's, I imagine British ladies in the 40's who are out for dinner in India. I also don't think this fragrance is powdery at all. There is a sweet, ripe, floral undertone hidden amongst the woods that adds olfactory interest. Regardless, if I had to describe this perfume in one word, it would be "snickerdoodle".

xpetra82
xpetra82

perfumes with gardenia and jasmine notes are the BEST!

xoxcassxox
xoxcassxox

Didn't go much on it at first but now I use it all the time. It's a rather powdery/soapy sent which to me reeks freshness.

gatsby
gatsby

C'était le temps des fleurs
On ignorait la peur
Les lendemains avaient un goût de miel
Ton bras prenait mon bras
Ta voix suivait ma voix
On était jeunes et l'on croyait au ciel !

Emeraude
Emeraude

Classic,floral,fresh,is an all time fragrance.Not old fashion,elegant and feminine.

Hopeless Romantic
Hopeless Romantic

Nice flowery, light fragrance

Vamy69
Vamy69

This is such a gentle nice smelling perfume. It reminds me of a nice spring day. I am not sure why but when I wore this I always felt like I was in the clouds...lovely!

LaPetite
LaPetite

A classic , which wouldn't sale when it was launched , because in France after WWII , after many years of fear and sacrifice, poeple were prefering more opulent and rich perfumes.Thanks God it's not like nowadays that they discontinue scent so easily.
It's another scent that i enjoyed until the last drop !
a very classic floral, a must have for the romantic woman.

mediterranean
mediterranean

The most romantic perfume ever. I can imagine a group of ladies wearing long cream dresses and hats sitting under a tree having a picnic surrounded by the smell of flowers blooming around and the distant sound of the river(kind of Pride and Prejudice scene).
Also it suits all generations,my 12 year old daughter loves it too and we both wear it during spring time. Probably the gorgeous bottle helps to attract her attention.

rainbow.owl
rainbow.owl

I love carnation. I'm going to buy some of this when the weather turns warmer - they sell the e.d.p. version in John Lewis (Brent Cross, London).

Lovelyperfume94
Lovelyperfume94

When i first smelt it i was blown away but in a negative kind of way it smelt wayyy to strong for my taste its more for elderly granmas sorry...

specialk070581
specialk070581

When I first sniffed this I hated it - it was unlike anything I've tried before. But the second time I tried it I started to really enjoy it. I find the carnation is what lingers for me most. I think this perfume is an acquired taste as far as florals go, but well worth it for those who 'get' it. For me this is one for autumn, winter and spring, but not for a hot summer. On me it lasts well, nearly all day.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I found a vintage of this in my grandmother-in-laws house (sadly deceased) and decided to try it on. It was a real surprise and I wasn't expecting anything quite so peach/ambery, I presumed it would be sharper, more aldehyde heavy. I like the powdery element of it and the whole structure, yet unfortunately I can't wear it as my husband sniffed it and said "That's WEIRD, you smell just like my nan!" - a no no if only for that reason. Lush, mature elegant scent but not for me, it would seem!

guest_Isobel Darlington
guest_Isobel Darlington

I used to live with my grandmother, and on special occasions when she went out with my grandad she would always wear this perfume. I loved the smell, and it stood out on her because she hardly wore perfume at all. My own mother gave me a sample and I loved it, without realising my nan wore it too, I realised when I found her bottle. The scent reminds me of lillies. I guess thats why I love the smell of lillies so much, it reminds me of gran.

guest_Margarita
guest_Margarita

Whenever i wear it i travel back in time :)

kugkng

I have an EDT one...and I do love it more and more, all I get from this gem is ripe fruit(peach+sagarcane)tiny flower scene less powdery effect but cedar prominent in the end instead(may be on my skin only)..very surprised me.This's an inoffensive sent very lush fruity not old grandma-like not a loud fume but stay veryyyy long....very lovely;)

greek_goddes
greek_goddes

I love winter perfumes but this one brinks me some terrible headache.
All i get is the carnation (which i hate).
BUT on my friend it is really good. Not carnation at all. Just powder.
I think the are more beautiful perfumes if you like powder like "No5 eau premiere" or "Shalimar".

LIN
LIN

It's classic i'll say.. maiby thats why i tried to like it so much. but i have to say no to this one! it's too sharp for me ( very powdery ), smells old and gives me a headache. Elegant, but not for me.

maiker
maiker

Such a lovly perfum, in my heart is LOVE DREAM, make me want to love and be loved. it have so magical powdery innocent flower unique smell... really love it,

judeaqua
judeaqua

I feel this scent can cater to both the old and the new generations... its spicy powderiness would cater to the women who prefer classics for their rosy, powderiness, strength etc.

As for the new generation is concerned, its soft, floral fruitiness may appeal.. its all in one.. yet gentle, warm & romantic.

Not out-standing but has all the elements you would need in a fragrance and not many that you don't.

I like its (not-too-sweet peach & apple in this case) fruity romance characteristic of Nina Ricci perfumes.

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

L'air du Temps is my favorite classic floral-I love carnations, iris, rose, orchid, and of course, my beloved spicces and cloves.All without the hideous aldehydes and neroli which ruin many a perfectly good perfume.(I'd much rather smell LADT than Chanel No. 5!). It's feminine and romantic, old-style but NOT grandma-like in a bad way, somewhat in the manner of Bal A Versailles- another vintage inspired, albeit very different, scent that I also like. The bright yellow box is molto cheerful. And the dove? Fittingly romantic.

MissLola
MissLola

I loved it. I tested the EDT and the EDP and choice the EDT, the EDT have in the end a salty note and the EDP is to heavy. When i first sprayed it on, I smell a lot of Alcohol, but when that fly's away a beautyfull scent returns that last a few houers.

Puppe
Puppe

I saw here a lot of good reviews,what determine me to buy the EDT. All good,the bottle is nice, but when I spray it....it smells like hair spray! Maybe the EDP is different, because I remember my best friend mother had one some years ago, but the EDT is not for me(I am 22 years but I really like a lot of classic perfumes) and not even for my mother. The staying power is good, but we can not use it...

andrevarx
andrevarx

This EDP think is the definition of classic perfume. It is floral, powerful, heavy, durable, mature, young, sexy and sophisticated. A fragrance that already exceeded any test of time, any woman, twenty-one to a cute sexy grandmother can use this.

In addition, the bottle itself is a real gem.

Nuusutaja
Nuusutaja

I have grown to love this scent very much during this summer. This is a pure floral without too much of sweetness and for me it’s classic and modern at the same time. Older ladies in my family haven’t used this and therefore I don’t have any perception of LADT as old-fashioned fragrance.
I love it also because I can feel here some breath of classic Nina scent that was a big favorite and unfortunately is discontinued. One can detect a plentiful joint part that these 2 fragrances have. LADT is a beauty.

I understand why this perfume has been around forever. It is truly glorious. In my 1st years of perfumeloving this was a no no, but I have really developed my nose the last years. It is a BIG yes now! And I find it quite green for a true classic. Reminds me of Ralph Lauren 'Lauren' vintage. I LOVE that one too! Great perfume!

Sissi
Sissi

Is it me or the noses of Prince Matchabelli copied the notes from L'Air du Temps for their Windsong to me they smell simular to another with the same powdery notes. but L'air is a far superior creation then it's common sister Windsong, with it's gracefull
sinious lines an refind elegance a much softer and reserved aspect of Chanel no 5. I admire the notes very well they seem the carry without the headache inducing cloying effect in a lot of perfumes what's missing in my opinion is the note of aldehyde and it's predomint to my nose it's a gentile very suble aldehyde not sharp and dry like in allmost all perfumes then dries
to an spicy note of pink carnation.

The refreshing note of the bergamot and the brightness of the neorli plant makes it shine, the delecate rose just
blends in the backround dries to an powdery nuance of purple Violet grounded orris and exotic spices to lift
up the senses.

The drydown consists of iris and Warm Sandalwood with sweet amber and musk.

This is a symbol of PostWar Parisian
Coutore and the White Dove Resembles peace and the doves from the top of the flacon conjournes an image of a woman with red hair her hair piled in a coif
of the 1940's wearing an burgandy squaired sholdered dress with an carnation right at her blouse wearing a hat of a motif of pure white doves siting at an parisian caffee Ala Rita Hayworth.

A Beautiful Scent for an Beautiful Soul.

panda0410
panda0410

Not a fan of florals, but this timeless classic is definitely part of my collex! Its spicy, but ever so soft. Not what I would consider a sweet perfume, I do make the comparison (for me) to Lancome Tresor - L'air Du Temps is the much kinder, gentler, softer, little, but much older sister. I think maybe the spices, carnation and peach set the comparison for me. I can smell the similarity to each other in both fragrances though Tresor is much harsher on the spicy side, and LADT is far more welcome to my senses than the much louder Tresor, the softer florals making LADT more appealing.

This has to be one of the "gentlest" perfumes I own. I wear this on sunny balmy spring days to laze away my thoughts, or on cooler days when my soul needs a bit of a cuddle, this perfume has a soft powdery effect. I wear this when I am either at ease internally, or need to be at ease internally. My perfumes absolutely reflect my moods, and there is no way that this beauty could have been excluded. My only regret is that it took me so long to acquire it.

kugkng

This scent start smooth sweet fruit for me I think it's warm peachy and and flowery note play a trick on my skin.all and all I get is a soapy flower bath cream not in a bad way nor old grand ma fragrance in my OP very clean feminine but not bold or noticeable enough for someone it's good for formal occasion and provide a feminity. this soapy scent tracing whispery all the time on my wearing,last whole day.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

It is amazing how sometimes spraying on paper really puts you off trying a perfume and then you get the courage to actually try it...

The top & middle smells like genteel soap & hugs to me. Kind of like idealised motherhood. It was pure beauty.

And then it hit the drydown & my skin turned it into a bitter, cheap, soupy concoction.

Devasting.

WireBodyArt
WireBodyArt

I was given this in 1969 for my 16th birthday. This would be a top pick when introducing a quality eau de toilette set for a teenager. Juli ;)

katyas
katyas

I've been wanting to get some of this for awhile, so yesterday I picked up a small bottle (1/2 oz), just so I could give it a try and make sure it was as nice as it sounded. It definitely is a scent that I like - it is intense (but not overwhelming) so light spritzes on heat points (wrists, elbows, behind the ears, hollow of the throat, naval and behind the knees) leaves you floating in a gentle cloud of flowers, as though you were a walking garden. Fortunately the bottle I have is easily controllable and I can use the sprayer to provide very small spritzes - either that or get a non-spray bottle to help you control application, as this is a scent that could easily get out of hand! The initial scent I get is almost like gardenia - I suppose that is the mixture of carnation with rose and violet. The scent freshens over time, then starts to powder a bit. My only complaint is that it doesn't last as long as I would like - maybe only 5 or 6 hours, then I need to re-apply. However, overall this is a perfume I really like and I definitely will get a big bottle once I am able.

Dear Fragrantica friends, I have this perfume and love it, to me it seems quite green! Am I the only one who thinks that, or is it just that?
Thank you! I am smelling the EDP if that helps..

barbaraloffredo
barbaraloffredo

As stated in my profile, I wore this scent for thirty years, but then I needed a change. I noticed it first when I was eighteen and a friend was wearing it.

At a time when I was a sales girl at Club Monaco, I would wear my layers of L'Air du Temps scent. At Club Monaco we sold a lotion, created by Alfred Sung, and there was a bottle by the sales register for people to sample. Sung designed the scent with the florals from only white flowers. Through the day I would rub my dried hands with that lotion.

That combination of LADT and Club Monaco by Alfred Sung got me more compliments and enquiries from other women than anything else I had ever worn.

guest_pearl of the ocean
guest_pearl of the ocean

I can understand why this was the height of glamour back in its day (many, many decades ago, that is...) But today, L'Aire du Temps seems completely out of place.

L'Air du Temps isn't what I'd call 'bad' in a sense. But the soapy floral components in this are so 'old school' that it isn't even funny.
Makes me wonder how this has managed to last in the 21st century.

midsummer
midsummer

The first splash of this perfume is violently aldeyhdic to my nose. But, I patiently waited for the sharper notes to fade. I was rewarded with a bright, springy floral that stayed close to the skin. This was my favorite phase of the perfume. Once it dried down, it became much more of an evening scent - to me it smells like spicy violet and incense (even though those aren't the actual notes involved). Having JUST tested CB I Hate Perfume: M4 A Room with a View - I think they must share the same if not really similar base notes.

I enjoyed the progression of the perfume from fresh and sunny to mysterious and sophisticated - but it didn't really feel like "me." Lasts a long time, and did make me feel very grown up - maybe too grown up for my taste!

Zsuzsanna

I think tere is a big difference between the EDP and the EDT. I can't smell the salty notes in the EDP just a sweet scent.

meisha
meisha

I used to wear this everyday living in the tropics when I was in my mid-teens. I used to like it but I tried smelling it again recently in the fragrance store and wondered why I ever liked it. Smells old and soapy to me. Hubby didn't like it either.

The_Entity
The_Entity

i remember wearing this as a child, i rebought again recently, still has that soft soapy scent which brings me back. only best for daytime wear

Zsuzsanna

Did I read it here that someone loves it because of its salty, not sweet at all drydown? Well me too.

miss_pink
miss_pink

I must admit that today I went a little crazy while perfume shopping. In addition to Idole d Armani, I also bought a big bottle of this. It is something I might not have chosen myself: my mom told me I should buy it. She used to wear it years ago and still loves it (that is a little strange since nowadys she is only wearing Chanel N 5). I only listened to her because I could detect jasmine and carnation (two of my favorite flowers) when I sprayed it on a paper strip. I loved it so much that I hope I does not change that much when I spray it on my skin!!

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

To me L'Air du Temps smells like a durty knickers nowadays. Probably back in a days this was a great combination probably in 40es or earlier. It is like to walk in a park with lace umbrella, lady in a long white dress. Begining of last century. Something romantic though.Something sad and pleasant dreams.It is undefined smell:flowers,powder,breese. Still o.k. to have it, if it is someone signature smell"

smcookie60
smcookie60

I have been wearing this scent for a few years, I would not do without it at all. I use the shower gel and the body lotion. I think it is one of the best that I use

AnnMarie
AnnMarie

I think that the advert for this fragrance is what sold it and for some people, the bottle. Another classic

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

I have an old Lalique flat bottle. Too strange, but when I wear it I feel a kind of green tea notes. Peachy-powdery notes are also present. I don't like the scent itself, I think it's for mature women. But this one is a musthave for a merfume collector such as I am )))

nyoka
nyoka

I wore this one yesterday.I could smell it all day too.My hubby didnt care for it but,Im gonna ware it anyway.Love the peachy and amber notes in it.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a wee to bit sweet for me. I put this in the catagory with Shalimar-both way too sweet and overpowering for me! No doubt nice on the right skin chemistry but not for me no way no how.

Njuta67
Njuta67

Funny then im had only this one and muskoil as child. Im had to wait in days before MYSKoil was gone so im culd put on this masterpice. The mix does not work out well.
Freedom and peace.

sugarplumjabba
sugarplumjabba

Got this for Christmas, and it is SO not me, it was given by an aunt who had great intentions, but no, just can't stomach it. Just smelling it in the bottle gives me a headache !

Miau
Miau

Got it for Christmas from old lady, it was strange, powdery. At first I thought I will like it, few minutes later I smelled like the old lady that gave it to me. Sad, I threw it away.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Of all the classics I think L'Air du Temps is the most gentle and soft perfume I tried, is like a delicate summer breeze. Everyone can use it, and we know this is a difficult thing when we talk about others classics. Although in my skin this doesn't last as long as others eau de toilettes of the 40's.

In the first half hour, is an intense and interesting fragrance but then becomes very soft,so fast....Anyway, you will notice that the fragrance still there on your skin playing with your senses and with those of who are near you..

The scent is charming,timeless, feminine and warm. The kind of warmth that inspires freedom..

This fragrance is what I'd call a peachy floral. It's quite airy and fresh, and in my opinion, something that not many people will expect from a 40's fragrance.

L'Air du Temps has a strange opening. I can only describe the top notes as having a very strong soapy smell, which isn't very clean, refreshing or appealing. For a moment I wondered why this was such a popular scent.

Then came the array of florals and spicy notes, supplanting the reason why L'Air du Temps is still on the shelves. Peach, rose and carnation are very dominant here. They give off a rich and distinctive smell which is only complimented by the subtle hints of clove and rosemary.

Heading towards the drydown, L'Air du Temps becomes increasingly powdery and warm. The spices become much stronger as the vetiver note commands attention. On my skin the drydown is quite sweet, however on paper the scent can be quite loud and harsh.

The lasting strength is brilliant. It lasted all day and even after a long shower. I don't think this scent will appeal to everyone, so it's best to try before buying. However, I have a lot of time for this scent. It is unfortunate that I cannot try L'Air du Temps prior to its reformulation.

7seven7
7seven7

Strange fragrance.

Upon the first spritz, it smelled like a perfume my nana used - floral and powdery - soft. The fragrance transformed quickly into a darker fragrance - like the faint smell of firewood. I'm thinking it is the vetiver, spices, oakmoss, and musk base notes emerging - yet so quickly! The bottle and the label of it being a floral fragrance seems so deceptive. I felt like I was offered a "Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty" perfume and ended up with the "Evil Queen or Witch" perfume instead, yet I'm not upset just amused at how the appearance and experiences of different people to this perfume have deceived me. I think a vulture,owl, or black bird would be a better perfume top on this perfume instead of the doves. Maybe it would sell more too.

This perfume's fragrance depends a lot on your body chemistry from my own experience and from the reviews I've read on this perfume. I can identify with the person, who said it smelled like leather.

I like this perfume because of the surprise element. Plus, I love the smell of firewood and a slow burning fire at night, so I'll probably wear this perfume more than I expected - especially on a cold wintry night.

****January 6 Update ******

The perfume stinks on clothes and objects like paper according to a friend of mine. On the skin, it smells different. I tested it out and noticed it immediately - the difference.

If you choose to wear this perfume, be warned. It might not smell good on paper, hair, or clothes, but it might smell beautiful on your skin.

Daria
Daria

I got 50 ml from a friend that didn't want it and she knew that I love perfumes so she gave it to me and I spritzed that on my hand and it was suck! The worst perfume ever!
After a few minutes it was on the garbage!

I have been tempted many times over the years to purchase a bottle of L'AIR du TEMPS, but always held back because of the ridiculous cast plastic cap. I love doves; I love peace. But the utter tackiness of this weird piece of plastic on top of a beautiful bottle just screamed "bad perfume"!

I finally decided to take the plunge, which was easier to do over the internet, since I did not have to actually touch the plastic top, but only look at it. Perhaps I managed just prior to hitting the "buy" button to convince myself that it was really made of crystal after all.

Well it's not. And what I learned during today's test fest is that I have known MANY women who wear this fragrance. It's clearly a safe choice: a light, agreeable mingling of small flowers among a modicum of mild fruits in an initially quite harmonious way.

Yes, my feelings were rather positive at the initial spritz, when I became immediately convinced that this was a floral aldehyde--albeit much more floral than aldehyde.

The second stage was less happy, I am sorry to report: I found myself thinking about the Elvis Costello line "cheap cut satin and bad perfume," while daydreaming about strolling down the fragrance aisle of Walgreen's. During that middle phase I realized that there was something awry--something tawdry, something cheap, going on. Synthetic flowers, perhaps? Perhaps it is something peculiar to the reformulation? I am aware that L'AIR DU TEMPS is renowned as a great classic. But somehow it missed the mark in the middle stage of my day.

The final phase has been quite pleasant. I do not feel the need to go scrub down, and I'm back to liking this eau de toilette once again. But the middle phase may keep my 3.4 oz bottle quite full for many years to come!

Not to mention, but I will: the plastic doves, which are further marred by an air bubble right in the middle of the cap!

Caveat internetemptor!

vincy_gal
vincy_gal

Soft and feminine. But on me it seems to disappear.

Zaleska
Zaleska

This one goes with my chemistry. It's a beautiful floral aldehyde. It doesn't smell rotten, too much soapy or powdery or anything like this on my skin.

But...I can't wear it, actually.

L'Air du Temps has something melancholic in its smell. Something blue, post-war (that left its trail of destruction and pain), I don't know what it is, maybe carnation.

I think that is a perfume to wear when you're so happy that it allows a bit of sadness. :(

jigglyclefairypuff
jigglyclefairypuff

You'll never find this on my 'favourites' list, but L'Air Du Temps is one of those old school fragrances which earns its reputation. Dominantly floral with a touch of wood.

Oh, how I wanted this great classic to work with my chemistry! No way. It clings with my skin and the result is rotten powdery hay. I would have said it contains aldehydes but they are not listed.
The bottle is classic and timeless. The name sounds nostalgic and elegant.
I also like the ads which is not common for me. Many women have worn it since its creation.
It smells beautiful on some people I know, but not on me.

guest_efikillkiss
guest_efikillkiss

There was no human being who didn't like it, when i was wearing this years ago. It has a very well elaborated carnation in it. It brings to mind a young woman apparently verginal, who isn't that innocent after all. An iconic perfume, few fragrances like this have create a stardom on their own.15-10-09

Halvah

One of my greatest favourits! I like it in every season, for every ocassion. It's a powdery floral, elegants, mild, romantic and really peaceful. I'm 30 now, but I liked it ten years earlier and I like it on more mature women as well. It's really a masterpiece of Nina Ricci.

MoietToi
MoietToi

I know,I know that I am way to young to wear it but I just had to try it when I saw it in a shop. The bottle is a true work of art and very captivating. But what do I have to say about the scent?
Well it's light and yet sophisticated at the same time. I don't know how to explain it but it's very light and still very dark in a balanced way. It smells alot like peach in the begining but otherwhise I couldn't detect any indivdual notes. So beautiful!

Frenchie-Loveday
Frenchie-Loveday

for me its simply lily of the valley, not a favourite flower too heavy and somewhat overdone...but Farouche or Fleur de Fleur by the same nina ricci is delicious....oh why oh why do all the best perfumes cost so very much...I so want to try Balenciaga's Quadrille, my mother used to wear it and I have not smelt it for such a longtime, wish you wanted that tested so that I could write a survey on it.

Sassy1
Sassy1

My all time summer favorite. A floral rush and then soft spicy musky woods. I'm not sure about the powder everyone talks about and why it seems to be a bad thing...is soft the same as powder? I don't know...all I know is I love this one. When used with a light hand it is sublime.

pansylady
pansylady

I never thought the bottle matched the contents- the bottle is flight-of-fancy airy, but the scent seemed dusty and stale to me- sorry!

Polymath
Polymath

I still love this one. I first received it as a gift in the mid '70s. Oddly enough, from a boyfriend and from my mom, within about a week or two of each other. So I guess they each thought it was me, and they were right. I find it delicate and understated, but very feminine and classy. Carnation always gets me this way, I think.

milena
milena

Very powdery soft, romantic, charming,a classic.

debra517
debra517

My personal all time favorite. I began wearing it in my early teens, purchased an ounce of it as a college student while studying in France, and wear it for special occasions now. I still associate it with my first love...and romance.... It doesn't work on everyone-and it can be overpowering on the wrong woman.

Denyze
Denyze

If anything. I really hated this scent on my mother. I found it annoying how she would spray this the first thing in the morning and actually like it! At first I thought it smelled fresh then I found it just smelled like those inscense that a nana might use.

Trvevil
Trvevil

This fragrance was my first 'how perfume smells' discovery. As soon as I catched a whiff from my wrist today I recognized it immediately- my grandma sure has it and that was the second perfume that I co-decanted into doll's cup (imagine??)trying to create a perfume that will become worlds famous (N°5 and L'air du Temps, again imagine it.. ;D) with terryfiying results. I failed (lol), but memorized this floral spicy aroma for ever (and my concoction as well)
Today I saw the yellow bottle and without emotions put it on my wrist, sniffed... and remembered this.
About scent itself- it smells intense and a bit old fashioned. For some reason it reminds me sunflower seeds and later some roasted sunflower seeds (well, that's just me..).
Ok, let's see closer- something like citrus flower, spices, rose, rosewood.
Lasting power is great and bottle itself too if it has dove adorned (no hint of doves on testers, but I would love to examine it closer) and last thing- it smells good close to my leather jacket sleeve- more luxorious I guess.. (same story with N°5)

nesca1502
nesca1502

One of my favourites! It also brings back wonderful memories since my mother bought it when we went to France, I was 9 years old so she didn't want to buy be a whole bottle of perfume, but she gave me the miniature and I just loved to open it and smell it.
I then borrowed hers when I was older, and I love how it smells on me, it is romantic, soft and flowery, the bottle design is gorgeous and the doves on top give it an innocent charm.

Miss Bloom
Miss Bloom

I love this. My Aunt brought this from overseas for me when I was a young girl.
I know its been reformulated and is a shadow of its former self but it still brings back lovely memories for me.
Its airy, powdery and very comforting.
Its like laying on a soft feather pillow. The sillage is my favourite when it wafts around you, rather than sniffing from up close.
Very whimsical and romantic.

Spring25
Spring25

I like the crisp fresh opening and the powdery drydown of this scent. I applied it early in the day after using the shower gell and lotion. All were similarly very fragrant and long-lasting. In fact, I went out straight away in my car to run some errands. When I returned to my car, I could still smell this wonderful powdery scent in my car.

ktv0926
ktv0926

This scent somehow naturally matches with my grandma's image; it doesn't fit to the contemporary woman in my opinion. And don't get me wrong - I’m not saying that any fragrance launched quite some time ago is old-fashioned and can be worn only by older women - no, it's just about this particular scent, that when I smell it, I visualize an older lady. Well...she smells quite nice:)

linden tree
linden tree

this is a the perfume for me and my husband only.it means i wear it only at home,because i don't want to waste it in the air of the streets.hihi!not for the strangers noses!i like much on the clothes than on the skin.the fabric amplifies the scent and give it a multifaceted power.

Halvah

I love this smell. Some says it's a bit old fashioned, but anyway it comforts me like a soft, pure scarf. Beautiful perfume that evolves happiness and piece.

lovinitxx
lovinitxx

this would be perfect for someone who likes delicate and pure fragrances which stay close to the skin, but for me it is too powdery and i can only wear it when im in the right mood

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

This opens with a strong synthetic note that is a little daunting, but settles down to a nice, airy floral, and finally ends in a powdery carnation-like spice that I really enjoy. This perfume smells like simpler times, and I enjoy the nostalgia of it. And of course, the dove stoppered bottle is lovely.

it opens with very mild flowers scent.you can just recognize jasmine,but it's not all.it's like a bouquet of flower in which you can't distinguish between scents.it doesn't change as the time passes very much.the idea of the bottle is wonderful and I really believe it was a unique fragrance when it was released 1948.so that means it's not unique anymore?I don't know but I can say the perfumes after l'air du temps sont fake,not this one.

solocha
solocha

Smells purely of carnations on me. I like this note, it is nostalgic and has an air of exclusivity for this reason.

azuriiita
azuriiita

It's perfect like Mona Lisa, a piece of art... and almost all people that likes perfumes knows it's a classic -i guess-... Maybe could be considerate like a Mona Lisa in a landscape with a lot of spring flowers, and doves jajaja... but... Is truly beautiful, sensual, colored the Mona Lisa??? Can she truly inspire peace??? Can she inspire happiness???
Not sufficient for me. In fact, L' air du temps inspire a sense of nostalgia...
Im agree with Liat, Nina Ricci has better samples of fragrances...

Malegria
Malegria

It is a fave, for sure.The floral composition is precisely made - nothing is too much or out of the way for me. It`s an autumn scent for me - a nice, sunny and dry October day, when the air is just started getting crispy, the trees` beautiful multicolor foliage is in heaps under them and everyone is buying chrysanthemums, and there is a slightly sweet smell of apples in the air.When I was younger, I found it overwhelming, though I always got compliments on it, and now, when I feel comfortable wearing it, it`s even better. L`air du temps is an essence of everything soft and feminine, and it feels perfect from the first spray to the end of the day.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

One of most romantic smell. Warm, with seasoned note of carnation. It builds around wearing smelling mysteriousness, femininity aura. It's not old-fashioned. For me is very poetic and independent. It not interest fashion, trends. This old classic fragrance on background present idea is very original. I admire it.

liat
liat

Nicely done, but Nine Ricci has much better scents up her sleeve.

Allegra
Allegra

Too strong and powdery for me, smells heavenly on someone and hideous on the other (I'm one of that kind). Strong rosey notes caused a bad migraine every single time I tried to wear this perfume, so I finally gave up and gave the bottle away. Don't miss it...

rebella
rebella

A hidious smell. Even tough it is several years since I´ve got this one in present from my aunt I still remember how to "much of everything" it smelled. Like you have get soaked in a flowerbath. I guess it´s a nice fragrance if you like a really, really strong flower fragrance...

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

Elegant, feminine floral, my husband loves the scent. I've gotten numerous compliments everytime I wear this perfume. This is the only Nina Ricci perfume I like. This one blooms on me. My husband always wants me to wear this perfume it is his favorite on me. A 5 of 5 stars to me! Beautiful bottle too.

Chaosnmotion
Chaosnmotion

I agree.. I loved it on my friend but on me it was powdery.. I wanted so badly to wear it but just doesn't work well with my chemistry.

2007
elgab89
elgab89

Although a classic, it never agreed with me, not even in the 80's. There is something powdery that I don't like about it.

2007

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci 3.42 out of 5 based on 1887 ratings and 302 user reviews

Eau De Toilette 1oz
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci, 1 oz Eau De Toilette Spray with B Cap for Women
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 1 oz Eau De Toilette Spray with B Cap
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 1 oz Eau De Toilette Spray with B Cap
L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap Tester for Women
Perfume.com
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap Tester
L'air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz
L'air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci, 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap for Women
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EDT SPRAY 1.7 OZ
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EDT SPRAY 1.7 OZ
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap
L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci TESTER Eau de Toilette Spray for Women 3.3 oz
L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci TESTER Eau de Toilette Spray for Women 3.3 oz
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EDT SPRAY 1.5 OZ PHILLIP STARCK BOTTLE DESIGN
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ TESTER
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ TESTER
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci, 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray W Bird Cap for Women
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 1.7 OZ
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 1.7 OZ
L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3 oz
L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3 oz
BeautyBar.com
Nina Ricci L'air du Temps Eau De Toilette Spray
Nina Ricci L'air du Temps Eau De Toilette Spray
Eau De Toilette 1oz
Nina Ricci - L'air Du Temps by Nina Ricci Eau de Toilette Spray 1.0 oz No Color - Beauty
L'air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Toilette Spray Refillable 3.3 oz
L'air du Temps by Nina Ricci for Women Eau de Toilette Spray Refillable 3.3 oz
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci, 3.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap for Women
Gift Set 3.4oz
L'air Du Temps Gift Set by Nina Ricci Gift Set for Women Includes 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 oz Body Lotion .14 oz Mini EDT
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ
L'AIR DU TEMPS for WOMEN by Nina Ricci EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 3.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 3.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray W Bird Cap
Gift Set 3.4oz
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - -- Gift Set - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 oz Body Lotion .14 oz Mini EDT
Nina Ricci L'Air Du Temps Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Nina Ricci L'Air Du Temps Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
BeautyBar.com
Nina Ricci L'air Du Temps Eau De Toilette Refillable Spray
Nina Ricci L'air Du Temps Eau De Toilette Refillable Spray
Nina Ricci 'L'Air du Temps' Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
Nina Ricci 'L'Air du Temps' Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
Gift Set 1.7oz
Nina Ricci L'Air Du Temps Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz Body Lotion 100ml 3.3oz Satin Smooth Talc 150g 5.2oz 3pcs
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci, 3.3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Eau De Parfum
Nina Ricci 'L'Air du Temps' Eau de Parfum Spray
Nina Ricci 'L'Air du Temps' Eau de Parfum Spray
Zappos.com
Nina Ricci - L'air Du Temps by Nina Ricci Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz No Color - Beauty
L'air Du Temps Perfume by Nina Ricci - 3.3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Eau De Toilette
Nina Ricci 'L'Air du Temps' Eau de Toilette Spray
Nina Ricci 'L'Air du Temps' Eau de Toilette Spray
Zappos.com
Nina Ricci - L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci Fragrance Eau de Toilette 3.3 oz No Color - Beauty
Nina Ricci L'Air Du Temps Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Nina Ricci L'Air Du Temps Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Gift Set 3.3oz
Nina Ricci L'Air Du Temps Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz Body Lotion 100ml 3.3oz Minature 3pcs

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.