Designers » N-Q » Oriental « Groups

Phileas Nina Ricci for men

Phileas Nina Ricci for men
dislike

aldehydic

Phileas by Nina Ricci is a Oriental fragrance for men. Phileas was launched in 1984. Top notes are aldehydes, juniper berries, green notes, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, patchouli, cinnamon, jasmine, caraway, vetiver, cedar and pine tree needles; base notes are labdanum, leather, amber, musk, oakmoss and tobacco.

Aldehydes Juniper Berries Green Notes Bergamot Lemon

Barbier des Isles

Phileas Fragrance Reviews

gedlive
gedlive

I heard this was like one of my favorites, Yatogan. So I ordered a couple minis.
Yes it is like Yatogan, but even smoother warmer. I'm surprised it took me so long to discover this great classic, it seems to be a woody chypre rather than an oriental. Juniper berries and pine are some of my favorite coniferous notes, and they are blended so well here, not like some other power house piney scents from the 80's. This is as good as vintage Z-14 or Yatogan. This fragrance has silky smooth woods, balsams, spices, and so well blended. The leather ads richness, and classiness, a gentleman's fragrance.
I don't have the vintage, it must realy be awesome, because what I have is still quite fine...
I have never tried vintage Bel Ami by Hermes, but I would imagine this is in the ballpark with Bel Ami, but the leather note is much less prominent with Phileas.
It has the best richest Amber/ Labdanum of any old classic fragrance I'v tried.

ScentedRomeo
ScentedRomeo

AMAZING!...I salute those back in the day that wore this! They knew what it is to wear a sophisticated, clean, elegant simple but complex fragrance that this is. Truly a vintage gem, a masterpiece that non today could compare. Vintage but IMHO not outdated or obscured. I'm wearing this today having been given an 100ml cognac coloured juice edt bottle and a 50ml limegreen coloured juice after shave, both in superb pristine condition, the beveled cut bottles are thick and beautiful with heavy golden caps.
The boxes they came in is a little tattered in the edges but no matter because the juice inside the bottles are still potent and alive & kicking.
Herbal, balmy, woody, leathery, smokey and absolutely aromatic with the sillage and longevity just phenomenal.
I collect the vintage YSL Kouros and its flankers and I would say that Phileas is akin to those but it seems that this is more rounded and smoother to wear and to experience as a scent.
This could not be made today the way it is because of all the restrictions made on materials used and even restrictions on how strong fragrances should or should not be made with regards to how society today views perfumes and fragrances with allergies and such. You can tell that quality ingredients were used to create this juice. There is nothing sweet, cloying or generic about this baby, this baby that came out of the early turbulent 80's with punk and new wave style in music and various mediums. I'm glad I came upon this masterpiece gem today. It feels actually humbling to be honest because this is what's missing in the meagerness of what we have out there today, really.....Phileas by Nina Ricci gets top honours. :)

tymanski
tymanski

really super, timeless aromatic chypre. crosses several boxes, incorporating vibes of yatagan, aramis 900, original polo and the original calvin klein. the drydown is rich & exquisite, radiating a coniferous warmth that makes everything ok! so very grateful to my good pal colin for introducing me!

Marie69
Marie69

Original EDT 10 ml bottle - The bottle is lovely, weighty, simple and classy. The bottom is embossed with all the information, and the name is in gold on the shoulder discreetly, so need for those pesky... oh so how shall we say....middle class... labels.... A deep straw colour tinged with a faint green tone, the light is pretty going through the bevelled glass. Now rushing to dump more on my arm after I just gave it an eye opening very first sniff. Wow, this is a toe curling Mediterranean sea-ed, cedar treed, pine-forested, camping trip, with the Head Cheerleader. Freshness, fun, fires, laughter, and fresh cotton sleeping bags. This cologne is making me cry. It is just beautiful. Nina´s best. Beseeching the Perfume Gods to please bring it back. It is like what would happen to another top cologne, if it went to the finest Swiss Finishing School.

missan

Half a bottle left of this wonderful cologne, have to use it more sparingly.

manos1965
manos1965

Accidentaly found a vintage bottle of this.Its before 1990 because it doesnt have bar code on the box.
When i open it the juise was dark and afraid that had passed away but after trying it discovered something very unique.Something between vintage Caron Yatagan and vintage Puig Quorum.
It has a very strong celery note that dominates the whole composition but its a complex composition.I feel happy to have this in my collection

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

For a couple of years in the mid1980s this was my favourite EdT. Its arrival broke new ground and opened a whole new experience for men. Like others here, it has massive memories for me, and its passing is greatly lamented. I cant believe this couldn't find a huge following today. Aghhhh! I do miss it.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Juniper, aldehydes, balsamic notes, pine needles, pungent dry green notes, a peculiar salty and almost metallic base, leather, geranium. Spicy old crackling leather, squeaky gears, antique herbs with a woody/rusty feel. The mossy/balsamic note is beautiful, fresh, not sticky neither resinous at all – rather vibrant, windy, dry. The base is unique as well, a sort of soapy feel but not in the usual "somptous iris chypre" meaning – more of a domestic, dry soap, for instance the Marseille soap or other cleaners. Then it emerges a gorgeous leather note with liquorice, patchouli and roasted coffe notes – again all really dry, earthy and straightforward. Earthy and herbal in a totally unique way, with a salty/rusty feel which is just perfect – and also, the perfect olfactory depiction of the cultural reference for this (a fictional Victorian explorer: herbs, leather, rust, it's all there). Not even that complex, just unique and one of a kind. Absolutely worth the purchase – which I am given to understand may be challenging: I keep my bottle safe - and really elegant.

8,5-9/10

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

4 from 5 - 93P (out of 100) - sparkling green - Green bitter green, aldehydic, somewhere sharp, very vivid head, made Phileas unique, a natural fragrance with some scent of a green meadow, but not hay-like, more a certain kind of herbs, some straw, but also with a broad woody heart. Very different from most of fresh or green fragrances. The only "green" for winter. The one which comes closest to the great SILVER from Etienne Aigner. Pity that both were discontinued in the 90ies.

Dimitrios
Dimitrios

Another one of my top twenty , Phileas is another masterpeice , resinous , coniferous , herbal & much much more its just incredible ! Yatagan shares some similiarities but side by side is very different , unique bold & simply outstanding they will never be another Phileas >> >> pronose even if they did release it again ... it would only be a pale shadow of what it is now

pronose
pronose

a true rare gem stopped by ricci don't know why???? this cologne must be release again!

This is a rare gem! A sadly discontinued fragrance of immense beauty. Phileas is quite a complex composition that opens with a considerable amount of aldehydes, citruses and juniper for an overall effect that is at the same time stark, freshly-green and almost powdery/soapy. Patchouli rapidly makes its appearance joined by other spices (a light cinnamon), coniferous notes, leather and tobacco. In this phase Phileas reaches its peak of beauty with its perfect balance between the classic powerhouse style and an incredibly sophisticated elegance. In the drydown I get a lot of resinous notes (labdanum), pine (again), and a subtle cedarwood laying on a slightly metallic amber. Compelling and unique.

This is a very hard to find fragrance, so if you're lucky enough to find it, don't miss the chance to get it. Complex and definitely overlooked.

A masterpiece

missan

This is lovely IMO, rather unique smell, a little bit of Aramis Tuscany in there but not the same. Maybe also a little bit of old Quorum, not today´s formulation.

missan

Found it at dutyfreeperfume.co.uk. Ordered it, will be very interesting.

flannelman
flannelman

Nina Ricci's Phileas was a really unique fragrance. So much so that I don't really know what to compare it with, or how to describe it accurately. Herbal/herbaceous chypre, I guess. But not a "green" herbal, if that makes any sense. It's actually quite complex, at times soapy, then spicy, then mossy... I loved it to bits in the eighties, and I still do.

jglass54
jglass54

I loved this fragrance. I bought it in the '80's at the souk in Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates on a business trip. I remember a wonderful burst of citrus backed by spice and musk. I thought it very sophisticated.

[email protected]
guest_p.bennett5@sky.com

Hello Nick, l am really into old classic fragrances and l am looking to buy 2 fragrances on the net. Please can you show me where to buy them. ( Phileas by Nina Ricci and the New Havana Aramis for Men.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Nina Ricci Phileas fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Nina Ricci Phileas, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Phileas by Nina Ricci. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Phileas by Nina Ricci represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.