Designers » N-Q » Chypre Floral « Groups

Red Moscow Krasnaya Moskva Novaya Zarya for women
dislike

yellow floral
Red Moscow Krasnaya Moskva Novaya Zarya for women Pictures

Krasnaya Moskva was the very first ‘Soviet’ fragrance and certainly the most popular. According to the perfumers working for Novaya Zarya (a perfume and cosmetics producing factory in Moscow, Russia), the fragrance was created by a certain Auguste Michel, but the year the composition was launched remains obscure: it either happened in 1913, at the then Henri Brocard’s factory in Moscow (i.e. before the Revolution in 1917) or later, when the factory was nationalized and given a new, Soviet-like name – Novaya Zarya (the New Dawn).

According to the Osmotheque’s files, Krasnaya Mosva was created in 1925, which technically seems to be right. Abroad, the fragrance is also known as Red Moscow or Moscou Rouge.

Other sources insist that Krasnaya Moskva was actually just a new Soviet name for a fragrance once known as Le Bouquet Préféré de l'Impératrice (‘Empress’ s Favorite Bouquet’), a composition created in 1913 at the Brocard’s factory in Moscow after he had died.

Krasnaya Moskva is known to every citizen of the former Soviet Union and its name is rife with emotional associations. The fragrance is a classic example of a soft floral chypre , with a cool head note (bergamot, coriander, neroli, aldehydes), a spicy floral heart, based on carnation, rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang and a base note, made up of woody and balsamic notes such as iris and Tonka bean.

A typical scent of its time (a spicy floral), the composition combines cool, almost metallic notes with warm floral and woody accords. It is pleasantly hefty, a bit tangy and it develops beautifully on the skin. Krasnaya Moskva (in perfume strength, as well as others) and other fragrances by Novaya Zarya are available for purchase in the factory’s boutique on Nikolskaya Street (in the shop center of Gostiniy Dvor), as well as via Internet.

Please read the article

Maderas de Oriente

Red Moscow Krasnaya Moskva Fragrance Reviews

msafro
msafro

The perfume of my grandmother...I remember it as very powerful and strong, lasting forever, penetrating every object in the house! Always associated it with mature, assertive female type. Years away from the soviet Ukraine life and everything associated with it, I got accustomed to the best French perfumes. I was not even considering trying it again, but after the discussions here and on Bois de Jasmin, decided to give it a try. The first impression was - "not as strong as before!" Very nice Chypre with drying down to powdery mild notes. Lasts long (as it's always been the case with it) without being overbearing. My friend, the perfume aficionado, told me, that I smell just like L'Heuer Bleue, and indeed - so many similarities. I think, I am in love again with this old forgotten fragrance! Thank you, Auguste Michel for creating it!

Anna Haines
Anna Haines

I bought myself 5ml sample from eBay just out of curiosity. Didn't expect much to be honest as always imagined that something "Soviet" would be grim, cheap and loud. But after I have tried it I have realised how wrong I was. Yes it is old school but in very good way. Strong for a few seconds after spraying but then changes into spicy carnation and sweet powdery vanilla in the dry down. Rich and timeless, somehow resembles with Channel 5. Evening scent definitely, would be better for winter rather then summer. Overall very impressed and deffo putting this one on the shelf with my favourites.

jeca

But the perfume has drastically changed since my childhood. It was much sharper than now. And much more cologne like if you can imagine very carnation cologne. Now it is spicy amber, golden, embracing, soft.
I heard that it used to be beautiful before I was born ;o) I am glad they fixed it ;o)

YanaYanaYana
YanaYanaYana

Ah what a beauty! It has such a bad reputation in Russia that I did not even bother to try it until now. Neither my grandma nor my mother had it so I just believed those who used words Red Moscow as a synonym of something smelling really not appealing. My bad! I finally matured enough to become curious about the most (in)famous Russian perfume. My oh my. Those who say that should it come under the name of Guerlain would enjoy a huge success. It's very old school but not necessarily in a bad way. I got the 100 ml splash bottle and the juice is very dreamy, mellow.. Nothing screechy or sharp here. Can't wait to start wearing it when it get's a bit cooler. Must be truly dreamy in winter. In short, fear this fragrance not. It is much better than it is reputation and at this price point (my bottle was bought it Russia at the outrages cost of $4! Yes as in No-I-did-not-forget-the-zero) why not decide for yourself.

HOUSTONHOUSTON
HOUSTONHOUSTON

My mom sent it to me from Russia. No spray. The label says perfume but it is not, it is more like EDT. I remember the original vintage version that my granny had. The new version is very different, weak and boring. I will look for a vintage. If you like Gloria Vanderbildt and Organza or Chanel 5 you probably will like this one. Just keep in mind that in Russia it is the cheapest perfume around, so do not overpay. =)

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

Blind bought an original Russian vintage of this recently on a whim. This is a potent, heavy, old fashioned, feminine fragrance. It has rich, heavy, first floral and spicy, then floral, then intensely powdery notes, that make it hard for me to picture on anyone but a mature woman of a bygone time. It reminds me of a woman in a fur coat, from many decades ago, and the smell of make-up.
It appeals to the collector in me, and my interest in Russia and Eastern Europe.
July 2016

lisa.vokorina
lisa.vokorina

My Grandma Nina was born in 1920. I can't be sure, but it seems like she wore this all her adult life. My mom says even her tea cup smelled like this perfume when she was little. Even in her eighties I remember Grandma wearing Red Moscow.

I was curious about the modern reformulation and went to their flagship store in Moscow. I was about to take a picture of it when a security guard said I was not permitted to! I complained about their customer service and never tested the actual perfume. Maybe for the best.

Red Moscow used to be a huge brand in the USSR. It belongs to the time when ladies were loyal to their scent... Now it' s just a proverbial old lady smell, all due to a lack of good marketing. This hasn't happened to Shalimar or Chanel No 5 because they take their legacy seriously!

Anyway, my memory of Red Moscow is warm and prescious and I appreciate the work of the French perfumer who dedicated his life to creating an iconic Russian scent.

GRAF
GRAF

This is a review for the men's Red Moscow ODC which is not listed in Fragrantica.

bergamot, neroli, coriander

ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine

iris, vanilla, tonka bean

Red Moscow is a retro style, warm spicy, floral aromatic scent for men, suitable for all year round use. Very versatile except the vintage character.

It opens slightly bitter-citrusy, with vivid spice, a blend of vivid neroli and coriander with mild bergamot. After some time I get a weak rose note with a dominant jasmine and some ylang-ylang note. There is also a mild, non offensive sweetness, I guess from the ylang-ylang. When it dries out, I get the powdery iris note with a bittersweet almond taste, the tonka bean not I guess. The vanilla is weak.

The longevity and the projection are both moderate. Generaly it's a very good retro style scent. I wish it had better performance like the women's Red Moscow which I have.. they are so nice scents and so cheap! It's a must to have scent for a perfume freak like me lol! I'll come back for a review for the women's juice! The men's Red Moscow is sold in Russia for 4 US dollars the 100ml ODC.

Angela Agiannidou

Thank you dear Veda, it sells quite cheap but that's the beauty, it is a Russian obscure brand but it's the juice that matters. Let me know if you want me to send you a sample of Maderas De Oriente, you would like it enormously! Take care!

veda
veda

@A.Agiannidou.
Thank you for the review, this is one of the perfumes that I'm interested to buy!:)

Angela Agiannidou

Carnation check! Spices check! Resins check!!! Potential granny appeal check!!! It reads in beautiful Cyrilic "Red Moscow "on the bottle ( i learnt to read and write Serbocroat as a student in both Latin and Cyrilic, they are similar )What is there not to like? I think this is probably a posh juice rather than anything that could have adorned Plebeian Revolutionary overalls ... Interestingly, no one mentioned this is almost identical to Maderas Maderas De Oriente! It is like two sisters, one brought up in the Mediterranean sun, ripe and smooth, the other fed on a vodka diet ( Na zdravlje ...) boozier and slightly sharper, but both possessing the same DNA. Spicy, deep carnation, lasting and projecting enormously! Maderas is a little sweeter sooner and creamier, a bit more resinous, but, overall, extremely similar. A grown up scent for the discerning nose that loves carnation in all its forms. Very aromatic! A must have!

rottenzombiefairy
rottenzombiefairy

i will agree that in Russia and pretty much all the countries that used to be part of USSR, Red Moscow is considered a "granny scent" or old lady scent, but i think mostly it reminds people of Soviet past... that usually is viewed as negative and is desired to be forgotten.
back to perfume... to me this scent is very close to Elizabeth Arden Red Door and Guerlain's L'heure Bleue (considering the course of history, l'heure bleue was creted about 1912, and red moscow was launced about 1913 to 1925, it can be considered the attempt of tsar Russia/ Soviet Russia to compete with "the west" and make their own version of the famous scent)
aside from history... i am 26 and am an absolute fan of fragrances with a heritage, that tell a story. and this is most certainly one of them. it smells like spring to me, a very irisy, powdery, classy and heavier one, but in a good way.
if you can't get your hands on one of the Red Moscow bottles, give a sniff to Elizabeth Arden Red Door and Gurelain's L'heure Bleue. The staying power might vary, but you will get the idea...

klein_gluck
klein_gluck

In Russia it is consider to be an "old lady old fashioned perfume" for the most time. But, it is a legendary masterpiece, and, actually, sometimes i wear it (i am 26 at the moment). I even bought a little bottle to take with me to another country. It is a strong floral scent, well done, complete, elegant and classic.

ljotschek
ljotschek

I always thought this perfume is too old fashioned and I will smell like a grandmother. Until I smelled it! I swear, if say, Guerlain or Chanel would come out with exactly this perfume, just with a different name/packaging, it would be a worldwide hit! You will hate me for this but… It's better than Chanel No5 which is, imho, a grandmother smell.

ggabriella
ggabriella

What a gorgeous fragrance. Love every minute of it. Very retro. One of the best carnations perfumes I have encountered. Love the powdery notes.
Interestingly enough I work in a multicultural environment, and also among my work mates there are a few Russian. All of them asked me what fragrance I was wearing, and when I told them it's Red Moscow, they smiled with nostalgia :) this fragrance inputs feelings

synergypsy
synergypsy

I've been curious about this fragrance for some time. On a brief "R 'n R" trip there was a bus load of Russian travelers staying at the hotel overnight. One woman (very unpleasant, sorry) sat next to me at the bar and I asked her if she knew this perfum. Figured she might know of it.

She said (without looking at me) "Is for old ladies." I said, "Oh, hmmmm. Kind of old-fashioned, I guess", or something like that. "If you like the smell of petrol", she said. "Good for killing cockroaches". Obviously a woman of very refined taste, if not manners...

I'm tempted to buy it just for spite.

Galya
Galya

В начале 90 х годов пробовала красную москву у бабули,он у меня вызвал полное отвращение своей тотальной химозностью.это был маленький квадратный флакончик.и вот на днях мне в руки попал винтаж 70 х годов для экспортного варианта со знаком сделано в ссср,большой такой флакон с покатистыми плечиками.но это совсем другой аромат если сравнить с тем из маленького флакона не для экспорта.он настолько хорош и прекрасен,что нет слов.и нет в нем химозности,все натурально и обалденно.ничего подобного просто ранее не слушала.значит были разные версии:для простолюдинов химозная версия ни о чем и экспортная версия за 5 рублей для иностранцев и для людей из высшего общества.ну вот...
так вот эта версия за 5 руб. ПРОСТО ОТПАД.все натюр и класс.пудровость.глубокий аромат и оч.насыщенный.вот поэтому мнений о нем много от резко негативных до резко позитивных...

In italiano:ho provato 2 versioni di questo profumo.esistevano una versione a basso costo per la gente comune e quella per la gente riccA.insomma.

in english.you know I found 2 absolutely different versions of this perfume.one of them is made for common people and another one for the rich.

in french.j'ai trouve 2 versions de cette parfum,Lesquels fait pour de riche et pour de pauvre gents.

giocodeifiori
giocodeifiori

Wonder why nobody mentions that Red Moscow is almost identical to Red Door Elisabeth Arden.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

I was gifted this from a fellow Fragrantican for Christmas.
I am transported back in time as this spicy, floral, Chypre fragrance develops on my skin to a sweet woody drydown.
This is vintage in all its glory, I could actually cry for lost years and the memory of my Grandma and Mum, both of whom this reminds me of.
I am on a trip down memory lane to my childhood days at home, under the watchful eye of my parents my Mum breezing through our house smelling of something like Krasnaya.
I can re live my childhood through this gorgeous perfume and my heart aches for those lost days of winter, where this smell is warm, spicy and comforting.
Beautiful, old fashioned, vintage perfume, this is utterly delightful.
Longevity is excellent as it has lasted for hours, silage is good too, it's not a power bomb, but you are constantly reminded of its presence.

Planet_X
Planet_X

My perfume beauty have arrived from snowy Moscow as a gift!
Its so unexpectably glamorous, nothing that could make me think of Cold War times:)
I felt myself covered from head to toe in spicy carnation with ylang-ylang, soooo strong, I put just a drop on the morning on my pullover and then got changed. After maybe 5 hours I've entered bedroom which didn't smell like my bedroom anymore, shocking feeling I must say! It was lively, vibrant, like big cities as New-York or Moscow covered by night-illumination, loud, busy, winning, animated. The fragrance was keep blooming on that pullover, happy by its own company!
Probably one of most powerful fragrances that I have got at the moment, I definitely needed something as dynamic, as Krasnaya Moskva.
And yes, its similar with C'est La Vie Lacroix!

pravda48
pravda48

Disclaimer: I like Russian things. I study the language. My username is Russian. I'm American. Ok that's out, there's my bias.

I traded for a bottle of this SOLELY for the bottle and the Cyrillic on it. I tried it once and thought, "Oh lord this reminds me of my great grandmother" and decided not to open it again for a while.

About a month later (after acquiring a taste for vintage Vol de Nuit, I might add) I splashed a small amount of it on my leg, just to give it a chance again, while I wasn't paying much attention and cleaning my room.

"What's that yummy cool iris? That chewy goodness? Could it be..?" Indeed it was. Now, from a respectable distance, this was just lovely. All cool chewy iris and a hint of vintage floral ylang, orange blossom, rose combo. So feminine and lovely it might just keep my craving for Vol at bay for a while. When not sniffed right up close (as I'm used to with newer frags) the beauty is revealed.

Like a the classic bombshell Russian woman, don't try to get too close too quickly or you'll probably perceive her as 'cold' or harsh. Give her time to decide if she wants come to YOU and - if she lets you in - you'll find she's the most lovely creature on earth, uber feminine and classic and worthy of respect.

[11.18.14, from 42ml glass splash bottle]

StinkySally
StinkySally

Okay, so I thought, "Let me try this vintage, rechercé blend. I want to know what the revolutionaries were smelling in early communist Russia. I mean, if this was Empress Alexandra's favorite .."

I do believe that the historic blend of this would probably been Empress-worthy. You can tell the frag has "good bones," so to speak. But, in my fanciful imagination, I can see the revolutionaries inheriting this brew, and beyond dismissing it as bourgeois , seeing the potential for a "universal" scent for the New World they created.

Alas, they may not have had access to the good ingredients of the original Krasnaya Moskva.

What I smell is a good blend (carnation dominant) with no staying power. Hello? "Perfume" that dies after 1 hour? No longevity.

A blend that despite being weak, lacks complexity or subtlety.

I'm keeping and using it, for historical reasons, when I want to channel Zhivago or Chernobyl babes.

Overall, a vague, trying-to-please, concrete-meets-Paris, which can help us understand life behind the iron curtain.

It reminds me somewhat of Evening in Paris from the '60s Woolworth displays, but not as elegant or substantial as that resolute juice.

Dinkum
Dinkum

Pure perfume, 42 ml bottle (modern).

Really nice stuff. Ylang-ylang IMO is whats most of, but runner up is carnation.

Yes, there is some resemblance with L´Heure Bleue, not initially, but in drydown. Lovely.

Heady perfume though, I wouldn´t dare to put on more than a drop or so on each wrist, for fear of over doing it.

Even so, the longevity is not very impressive. A shame really, I would have loved to smell it after a nights sleep.

Final judgement: If you manage to find it, grab it.

iow-pam
iow-pam

I found this one for sale on ebay and couldn't resist bidding for what is a rare find in the UK. Although I have had it for a few weeks now I've only just got round to testing it. Firstly, the bottle is not an atomiser so the perfume is applied in drops; risky if you overdo it.
On application it is too strong for me to even try to differentiate the notes. Only after about 30 - 40 minutes can I begin to take in the scent. It is almost eye-watering when sniffed close up. But the sillage is such that one is able to take in the perfume around you, with the carnation prominent.
To me it is a strong peppery floral, eminently suitable for wearing under several layers of winter clothing! I have only tested it at home - I daren't risk wearing it in company until I have worked out how much, or should that be how little, to apply.

Krasnylips
Krasnylips

A lovely spicy gingery scent, fades away quickly though, so don`t rely much on the fact it is a perfume and not EDT. What is good about it is that they managed to keep the spirit of old Krasnya Moskva. It reminds of the vintage version, but sounds modern.

Kodi
Kodi

I think Krasnaya Moskva is the worst memory in Eastern-Central Europe. In the '70-80-es just one perfume was available in the Soviet Era, this awful cologne. Never again!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

A review for new version, bottle looks very cheap,42 ml, plastic top, used to be elegant glass bottle with glass stopper. As far as smell is concern, it is an improved, more usable, more diluted, not a complete mosquitos repellent it used to be. Has some chemical note, but can be used by cheap perfume lovers, I gave my bottle away.

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

I bought a small sample of KM and was pleasantly surprised how beautiful it is. Can't speak about the poor sillage or appearance of the bottle, though the very essence of the perfume is distinctive. Gentle, powdery and a bit nostalgic. I believe in pre-Soviet era it must have smelled amazing. Reminds me a bit of L'Heure Bleue and in "one boat" with Kenzo Flower. Would be great if Novaya Zarya would finally start producing this gem in higher quality...

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

In the bottle it smells sweet and powdery, on the skin spicy,heavenly, complex HEAVEN. I bought this because my husband loves vintage perfumes and is utterly obsessed with WWII era soviet Russia. Personally, I don't think it makes up for the regimen's brutality, but Stalinists sure could formulate a perfume and it's perfect for wearing to far left political meetings (no I'm not kidding)

lister
lister

I'd say it's memories that make this scent so warm and beautiful,I have the vintage bottle,it is small as match box,the juice itself has darkened but it is still strong just like a Russian woman.It encapsulates tears and laughter,dreams and hope,success and glory of Soviet Union.Masterpiece? No.It's more than a masterpiece in our hearts.

My grandmother had this fragrance, when I was a child. At those times I didn't like it.

Bought the nowadays version today. It smells different to the vintage. And my mom says so, too. Even its color was brown.

In nowadays version most of all I feel the ylang-ylang note with the iris, coriander and neroli notes, lightened a little bit by the bergamot and grapefruit notes, and the soft nutmeg in the end.

Beautiful! Soft, noble, feminine, elegant. Not too oldfashioned, actually. As a perfumelover from Russia I think that it should be must-have in my perfume wardrobe. But I just also love this fragrance.

It opens perfectly!

miaou
miaou

It was really scary to purchase this blindly, but i got what i wanted (I have a modern version). This is a very gorgeous fragrance, somewhat between a mixture of oldschool chanel fragrances and nina ricci l'air du temps. Carnation is very beautiful here, and one of the notes (which one?) resembles me of bubblegum, lol (it can't be true of course!).
I have been warned not to smell this directly from the bottle cause the KM opening may be disgusting and it contains lots of cheap alcohol, but it's awesome and i don't feel any.
If you ask me what woman should wear this fragrance, the only one i think of now would be dominatrix Irene Adler from the modern Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch. No grannies! If i ever see someone selling a vintage version for cheap, i'll buy it without thinking, cause it's not just a great fragrance, it's history.

velb95
velb95

EN
Well, it's not so easy to get this perfume when you live abroad (from Russia). Here in Europe you could find it in German (Russian goods sellers) on-line shops. Like SELPO24.de for example (the shipment will cost you more than perfume itself €11 for perfume+€17 p&p), but I think it's a good idea to order it if you're the real perfumes freak. For sure you have to be prepared for this one, so try some Amouage heavy female perfumes to get ready (the old version of Chanel #5 is also OK for this purpose) and please, don't buy "Krasnaya Moskva" like your first perfume.

IT
Prima di tutto non è così facile di comprare questo profumo quando si vive all'estero (e non in Russia). Qui in Europa lo potreste trovare dai venditori in-line di merci russe in Germania. Come SELPO24.de ad esempio (la spedizione vi costerà più del profumo stesso €11 per il profumo + €17 spese di spedizione), ma penso che sia una buona idea di ordinarlo, comunque, se siete dei veri collezionisti dei profumi. Di sicuro si deve essere preparati per questo profumo: potreste provare alcuni dei più pesanti profumi femminili di Amouage per essere pronti (anche la vecchia versione di Chanel N ° 5 potrebbe andar bene per lo stesso scopo), quindi non comprate "Krasnaya Moskva" come il vostro primo profumo.

RU
Не так уж и легко приобрести эти духи, если вы живете за рубежом (а не в России). Здесь, в Европе вы можете найти их в немецких он-лайн магазинах, специализирующихся на продаже товаров из России. Попробуйте SELPO24.de например. Только не забудьте, что пересылка из Германии обойдётся вам дороже, чем сами духи (€11 за духи + € 17 услуги почты), но я уверен, что это всё же отличная идея - заказать экземпляр "Красной Москвы", особенно если вы настоящий ценитель хороших духов. Если вы не родились или выросли в России прошлого века, вы должны быть готовы к этому аромату, так что постарайтесь прежде принюхаться к некоторым особо тяжелым женским ароматам от Amouage, чтобы подготовиться (т.ж. старая версия Chanel № 5 хорошо подойдёт для этой цели). Ну и конечно же не покупайте "Красную Москву" в качестве вашего первого экспоната в коллекции духов.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Oh my, I paid a lot more than $10 for my bottle. I found it in Granville Market in Vancouver about six years ago. At the time, I knew I'd never find it again so I shelled out the $69 (yes, that's right!). To me this is a sillage-bomb. It is heady floral and bold..everything associated with the term cologne. Wearing this is akin to saying "notice me" so use with caution. Now that I have found the English name here in Fragrantica, I treasure my bottle. I don't always reach for this but when I do, I love it. Not pleasing to everyone so try before you buy.

One spray or dab on me
Sillage: two feet
Longevity: 3 hours
Rating: 2.5/5

french_cactus

An update: (a less emotional and subjective review)

I have this in perfume and vintage version, should be from 70s.
For me it is a perfect pure perfume version of Guerlain's L'Après Ondée. It also reminds me Guerlain L'Heure Bleue. I cannot have enough of it, if honestly.
It is a very rich blend of carnation flower, cloves, coriander, iris and viola. There is also a portion of oakmoss for my nose.
I don't know if the current production is anywhere close to it, but I am working on getting a sample and might update later.
To summarize: should this perfume have been known more it would have been getting raving 5 stars reviews from all over the world, from everyone experienced in what the art of perfumes is about.

french_cactus

There are very few old school perfumes (and leave alone new niche pop-ups) that can match complexity and richness of this perfume, its spiciness and feminity at the same time.

Just want to agree with "Silverbutterfly" on
"The golden childhood time of all Soviet children. And if some mediocre people try to badmouth that era, don't believe it. It was the best time ever!"

For people who see only "limitations in the soviet era" they maybe should try to look at the statistics and see that it was the country having 99.9% of literacy level and any child no matter whether his/her parents are factory workers, teachers or party leaders had a chance to educate him/herself in any area that he/she would want to.

So if your "limitations" mean there were no bananas or Levi's jeans, I feel sorry for you.

kl99
kl99

It is curious how this scent triggers different reactions. there are those who find it horrendous, reminiscent of poverty. And who says that is a classic sublime stolen from historic french brands.
Well, I'm agree with both.
I've got the vintage version, the marvellous flattened irregular bottle, with the stop in glasses that recalls a russian cupola. I bought it on ebay from ukraina, stopped by customs, you can't imagine how many papers I had to sign and send with copy of my identity documents, apparently just to declare that was not a molotov.
Anyway after some months, I had in my hands.

After the fall of the Berlin's wall, a lot of classic russian perfume came to my country, and I was courious about red moskov. I found the bottle in the bathroom of the house of a friend of mine, during a party. Obviously I've tried the perfume on me. And I remember I had the impression of smell that oily dandy fragrance I find in knize ten (officially in Gomma by Etrò, but their are like twins) similar to brazil nuts to my nose. Now I know that is a carnation-effect! Obviously this is more feminine.

Well yes I agree, it can be a lost fragrance of Guerlain.
To me is closed to Apree l'Ondee, but can be also the sister of l'Heure Bleue, the cousin of Mitsouko.. Must be that the impression of "cheap", it seem to be in front to a low cost imitation of a Guerlain made almost 100 years ago.
Yes it tastes a bit grandmother, but in a romantic, sensual and grande dame old-princess way.
Come on, all the mentioned perfumes, included Chanel n.5, smells like grandma. But they're still divine.
Remember me also a classic body cream of the past, like maybe the Johnson's baby lotion, the pink one flacon, the vintage one, or maybe the smell is the same nowadays I don't know, I should try again, but if i'm not wrong was changed from the 70s.

Leonie Sophia
Leonie Sophia

This is really best enjoyed in the extract form, it's soft and lovely. I wish Novaya Zarya would come up with things like that instead of creating cheap and unpleasant copies under awful names like "Chancette" or similar.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

Well, here is my 5 cents about "Krasnaya Moskva". Sure, I remember it from childhood. My mom had lots of perfumes, despite it was hard to find back in a day. She had it I guess, for the records,but hardly ever used it, as she prefer other perfumes, like: "Lesnoi Veter" or "Lel'" or something very beautiful, in mate bottles and boxes with silk inside. But our neighbour had it on her corridor-mirror chester always, and used it quite often. When we dropped by to their place, I always payed attention at very interesting dark-purplish-red color lipstick staying together with "Red Moscow" bottle as a "good couple".
That lady was powerful and humorous, and remind me Faina Ranevskaya with her famous: "Mulya, don't make me nervous!" That was so long ago, and it is just like yesterday.
Now I am smelling this perfume from my collection, I guess, it was issued in yearly 2000 s. I think the formula is a bit lighter and less "oily -powdery-carnationy", as it was back in 70th.

AddictedToLife
AddictedToLife

Попробовала у бабушки и пропала, пришла домой, дала мужу понюхать, сначала сказал фу, потом говорит дай еще понюхаю, утклулся в руку и не отпускал... Ну загорелась я идеей приобрести и попросила друга из россии найти, он сперва спросил зачем тебе эта гадость, а когда купил даже ему понравились, вот так, до сих пор она покоряет своей красотой молодежь и звучит совсем не ретро, с нетерпением жду свой флакончик, бабушка то не согласилась поменяться :)

gryx

Thanks a lot, Lumiere. I hope I'll be the owner of the man version soon. Greetings from Poland :)

Lumiere

I had men version . It is called eu de cologne in Russia. It is very similar to women version, but i found it less intense.It is a little gentle on carnation, but has coriander. It has all the beauty of same flowers as in women version, plus balsamic and spicy notes, and the feel is uplifting, and a bi tangy. I really liked it, and used myself before my BF discovered it and started to use. He used bottle pretty quickly. It is a bigger spalsh bottle-100 ml from memory. Despite all reputation that is surrounding this scent as old fashioned in Russia, we both really liked it. It is very refreshing and upliftin, wonderful aromatherapy. Price was a fraction. I have heard that men version is very popular in middle east, and their men buy it in boxes quantity.:)

gryx

What's about the man version? I'm very curious ;)

Pasaka
Pasaka

It is the famous fragrance created by Auguste Michel and initially was called 'Favourite bouquet of the Empress' ( The last Empress of Russian Empire). However, after the Revolution, Michel added some additional notes and renamed it to 'Red Moscow'. It is also important to know, that the translation means not Red but Beautiful, which means that real name of this fragrance is 'Beautiful Moscow'.

delizia
delizia

I've only known it as Moscow Rouge. Whenever my Dad visited Russia he would buy a bottle for my Mum & she still has one original one that she loves to use in the winter. One whiff and it reminds me of exotica. Luscious!

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I don't think Krasnaya Moskva exactly qualifies as a chypre, I'd say it's a spicy floral but never mind that.

When I was a teenager in the 80s, I think that I, and other Americans my age and older where led to believe that the Soviet Union was devoid of anything beautiful and everything was all sorts of dreary greys and bleakness. At least that's what we were told on TV.

This scent is one that any of the old venerable perfume houses of Paris would be proud to to put a label on. It's very luxurious in the way of Narcisse Noir or L'Heure Bleue, of which Krasnaya Moskva reminds me.

I bought this at a resale/antique shop and the label is slightly different from the one shown and the color of the perfume is darker so I imagine I have a "vintage" bottle (for $6). It has that thick syrupy feel of ylang and rose with spicy carnation to break up the heaviness. Very lovely, very old-fashioned (meaning very well-constructed with high-quality ingredients), with just the right touch of melancholia, although the drydown is much lighter and happier.

This is by no means a flirty carefree fragrance if that is what you are looking for, but a glamorous, admire-me-from-afar scent. However, after a few hours it's willing to make friends IF you're worthy ;)

paleface
paleface

I have a modern version of Krasnaya Moskva.

On me Krasnaya Moskva is from the very start soft and flowery with some powder. Imagine a luxurious dressing-room. Somebody has just left it after throwing carelessly a silvergrey minkcoat and a silkscarf on a divan. There is a table full of exquisite perfumes and a venetian mirror above it. The air of the room is filled with aromas - you can't analyse the smell except that it is stunning. You think it must be a mixture of many perfumes, but when you approach the table you see that only one bottle is open and the iris-ylang-ylang-rose-carnation -scent rises from that very glass object. You can't resist the temptation and pour liquid to your wrist. Oh no! You have made a mistake: too much perfume and you are surrounded by a very strong, even repulsive and definitely "old-style" odour! Luckily you can wash everything away and start again, this time carefully. And voila! Now you get this concoction of mysterious and charming flowers, sweetness from tonka bean and vanilla plus a tiny bit of spiciness from coriander.

Perhaps Krasnaya Moskva is from by-gone -eras, but so what! You don't refuse to eat a piece of chocolate in spite of the fact that the recipe is hundreds of years old...

summerinthecity
summerinthecity

Recently I've tried Krasnaya Moskva for the first time, it was modern version.
And my first thought was "my god, it is... beautiful! and really deserves name Empress’ s Favorite Bouquet". In the beginning it gave me impression of sun warmed flower garden with soft, almost "mediterranian" citrus vibes. Then it evolved in purely floral aroma, rich and thick, as if my nose was in a large bouquet of roses and carnations. The perfume should be applied very carefully, only a couple of drops, otherwise that floral phase can be unbearable. Drydown is very cozy - powdery, rosy, vanilla and slightly resinous.
I consider this scent worthy and not a notorious "Soviet old lady scent" at all. One can calmly and proudly wear it even everyday (in right amount of course).
If you or someone of your friends are going to Russia, I recommend to buy a bottle of Krasnaya Moskva at least for educational purposes :) or as a souvenir, it is very inexpensive.

@kosmoskukka: it seems to me that the brand unfortunately does not sell online to other countries...

Lumiere

Spring, just starting. Anticipation of the picnic in the woods, with fresh grass, so traditional after the compulsory attendance at demonstration. Heels, hair, curled on the rollers the night before, and silk dress. If not dress, then at least silk scarf with the trench coat-it could be cool at that time still. As an association, i still want to wear a dress, or at least a silk/shiffon scarf, when i wear this out.

Natalie05
Natalie05

I don't agree with the previous comment! This perfume is rather tender and comfortable! Very gentle!

nonnative

It seems to me that krasnaya moskva is chanel n. 5 grandmother. The same feminine touch, the same floral intoxication, the same allure. But old style. I have a vintage bottle of it from russia and I love it. But it needs time to warm up and give its best. The first sniff can be disgusting. Wear it and wait. It will speak of fur collars, old shops, beauty.

Belil
Belil

My oh my..
This is truly unique, even the cheaper reformulated new version.
I actually feel guilty for liking it, I like to dab a a tiny drop on my temples as aromatherapy before going to sleep, this way I can shake my head and I'm enveloped in this spicy (I guess it's very potent coriander), creamy and dusty sweetness. It does smell expensive to me. But not as expensive as chanels I love to be able to pull it off in the public.
Living in a post-soviet country I know that this fragance is a synonim of a stinky granny perfume to everyone. (with non offence to granny perfumes, I'm a fan of most of them that are considered granny) So I'm just having it for the collection to sniff it now and then. But I guess I'd never be able to wear it in public, oh god I'd better wear ELDO Secretions Magnifiques :)

aluminio
aluminio

I know this fragrance from my grandma; she brought some from Russia in the seventies.
It had a strong smell of sour cherry preserve, a generous load of REAL ambergris and some carnation thrown in. It sure had not even the slightest hint of the other notes shown in the Perfume Pyramid.
Nice, but heavy. Absolutely oldfashioned even in the '70.

krmarich
krmarich

I sampled a tiny decant of what I assumed a vintage edition from the Soviet era. Thanks Matusha! It is nothing short of brilliant and as masterful as one may imagine. It was commissioned around 1915 for the Czarina Alexandra by Maison Guerlain in France. I am sure it had been changed over the years, yet how can you go wrong with something so special? Gaging from the passionate emotion it causes, it carries all the dreams of so many ladies who wore it and all of those who remembered it.

It seems rather bold with lots ylang, carnation, red rose and jasmine. Its is a chypre floral. Where has I smelled this before? Its no fault of its own, yet the current Paloma Picasso EDP is a dead ringer for this now lost classic. The old version wasnt so obvious. It happened by accident, really. The current regulation against oakmoss allows PPs floral heart to surface accidentally paying tribute to KM! Yes, it lives on. Thankfully. I wonder if anyone else has noticed the similarities?

lennoxx
lennoxx

I know this perfume very well. This scent comes from my childhood. My grandmother used it all the time and my father just hated this perfume. I can't say I like it, it was too heavy for me that time.
Now trying to restore in my memory this perfume I can say that dominating notes are carnation for sure, plus also very strong note of iris and a bit less of vanilla.
Association - my grandmother!
In the Soviet Union a carnation was a symbol of revolution. You could always see people with mostly red carnations on May and November demostrations. There was even a song: "Red carantion - anxiety companion..." As for me "Krasnaya Moskva" is nothing but a "Red Moscow", never beatiful. Something revolutionary and heavy.
But I can't exclude a possibility that one may like it. A lot of people liked this perfume in Russia. I could have never imagined there are so many people who like the perfume now beyond the Russian borders.

Saintkitty
Saintkitty

I’ve never thought I would love very cheap Russian fragrance. I heard about Krasnaya Moskva in my childhood, but I’ve forgot it. Not long ago I bought it and was shocked. Krasnaya Moskva is truly gorgeous! Yes, it has cologne base and it’s old-fashioned, but very dear to my heart! I can’t analyze all the notes, to me Krasnaya Moskva is a complete composition. I smell carnations and iris powder, strong and soft at the same time. The scent is impressive, long-lasting and it went down in history of my country!

olga1780
olga1780

WOW. I didn't realize that this is quite known in the US! My mom always had it in her arsenal of perfumes during the Soviet Union times. I guess they didn't make that many fragrances, especially good ones at that time, so it was considered the top of the line. I really cant remember how it smells....but we still call today's stinkers " Red Moscow". It must be very memorable to Russians and Ukrainians for its outrageous power. LOL

malia
malia

My dear Mum gave it to me.. I never use it, but often i do open the bottle to smell the fragrance.. So many memories..
Mum, i miss you so much

imoore
imoore

The new Miss Dior should bow in front
of the old Krasnaya Moskva.
Truck it down!
Chypre as it should be loud
bald intoxicating.

Kotofey

IMHO, modern Krasnaya Moskva quit similar to Cuir Mauresque Serge Lutens.

nonnative

waw i didn't realise I had this bottle. I underestimated it as an old vintage, cologne smelling fragrance. And now I understand it's a great fragrance, so high couture and similar to a guerlain of the best times. Round and strong, with an acid note that makes it strange and intriguing. Lovely discovery!

Fit for an Empress, for sure, Moscow Red is absolutely amazing! I have no idea what Russia smells like, but if this is any indication; it's severe and beautiful! Red is definitely the color of this scent with tinges of golden shimmer...

This begins with a bitter bergamot and dry corriander alongside a powdery neroli. Some say medicinal, I say sharp and strong. The heart is just splendid with the oily carnation and its spicy floralcy beside lush ylang and its soft sexy scent; as the heart opens the top quiets and blends into the middle not unlike the spoonful of sugar to make the "medicine" go down. The rose and jasmine twine together to make something romantic, but still serious and down to earth. The finish on this is warm as well. I always thought Moscow would be cold; but, I guess that is Siberia! Ultimately, it is smoother than the opening and less flowery than the heart. Iris adds a powderiness and the vanilla is smooth but not sweet or overly gourmand, and the tonka is slightly oriental; though this is very much a chypre. Elegant, strong and proud this is no fainting frilly thing, but a beautiful classic vintage and may be worn by babushkas, but don't let those old ladies fool you! They live longer than their men and it's for a reason-they are hard, but loving, and they perservere just like Krasnaya Moskva has...for over 75 years!

Sillage: great
Longevity: awesome
Overall: 4.25/5

When I was a little boy and the cousins and other grandkids were playing, I was always on my Gunda's knee. I have always felt more at ease, even as a child, around the older adults. This may be a granny scent, but you can learn a lot from a grandmother. They should be treasured, and not pushed aside or forgotten because they are old! You can never really be sure how long you will have them in your life. Remember that age=wisdom, Moscow Red is beautiful just as it is...and I wouldn't change a single thing!

*Eva: thank you so much for this very wonderful piece of history. I will (and do) treasure it!!!*

PávelHenry

The rose with cirrhosis
The anti-atomic rose
No color, no perfume
No rose, no nothing.

(Adapted from Vinicíus de Moraes poem).

*VickaLena: thx u for all my life. A unique experience! Without you, I would never know how is walk through the Soviet's past lane.

It isn't like Opium at all, being more of a big powerful floral scent, with much less incense or vanilla. It does have a strong powdery vanilla base. (see reviews here for good examples of how it smells on other people.) You can find it on russ-sell.com or markys.com. Good luck!

Nataliya

To sfonativeboy: yes, "krasnaya" means not only "red", it means "beautiful" or "nice" too.
As "Krasnaya ploshad" is not only "Red Square".
In russian language there is the expression "krasna devitsa", that is have to be translated not as "red girl" but as "beautiful girl".
So you right - it may be "Beautiful Moscow". But as we know - this name to scent was given not faraway off revolution 1917, so in this case, I suppose, it means namely "Red Moscow".

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

Well..
I'm not Russian ... but I do love Fragrances with History ...
this one caught my attention ...
Krasnaya Moskva also known as RED MOSCOW

a friend told me that Krasnaya has a dble meaning .. "Beautiful"
which makes more sense to me
..."Beautiful Moscow"

This is
a gentle, fleshy, quiet, luxurious fragrance that one can wear any day, anywhere.
It reminds me alot of Caron's Bellodgia
but without the Clove.
A spicy Carnation with a woody vanilla base

I read that the reviews that this Fragrance is out of Fashion ..
that it's a Grandma scent.blah blah blah...
hey it was good for an Empress.at one time
those Babushkas had great taste...!!!

Sissi
Sissi

Red Moscow what do people picture of
the 1917 Revolution Vladimir Lenin Dr
Zhivago Leon Trotsky Stalin Khrushchev.

But i'm not speaking of Politics this is
all about perfumes. let me start on my
descrption what makes this perfume powdery mmmmm? i think it's the carnation adding with the rose' zest of
Bergamot and Coriander. Blends in a bottle of Political Zeigeist that Collasped in 1991.

And the drydown is surprising with a scent of Frankincense & Myrrh make you think of a Russian Orthodox Church with Bronze icons with black robbed Priests
swinging censers frankincense filling
the Church with Incense on Christmas Eve

Krasnaya Moskva is a Romantic Perfume
in a Turbulent Time.

castellocostellini
castellocostellini

Fetelor va spun eu care am o iubita de-ti vine sa-i mirosi floarea dimineata si seara ,stilata ,frrumoasa ,eleganta ,tot ce vrei si care foloseste acest parfum cu succes ..........stiu ce zic !!!!

Aristo
Aristo

I fell expensive myrrh fragrance (may be asociation from diffusion in composition)

Perhaps this perfume was invented by one of Guerlian's disciple, but after 1917 the smell was simplified

To Persephone.
"if-you-don't-carry-a-balenciaga-bag-i'm-not-even-talking-to-ya!" Moscow type of people"
Not only Moscow type. Some students and people in other cities are the same. When I bought the perfume, my friends said that I would smell like my grandmother, but I like it.

katrin__

I grew up in the Soviet Union without grannies and for me this smell is our history of the tragic death of Empress of Russia.

Nataliya

I have bought it all the same; and let they speak what they want :) (previous comment was mine)

guest_Natalia
guest_Natalia

I love this parfum, but unfortunately I not dare to use it. The matter is that I am russian and live in Moscow, and there is an opinion that this aroma reminds old soviet times, when there was a deficiency of all. "Krasnaya Moskva" was a dream of every soviet woman in those days. And nobody wants to feel itself in that time (though at that time my friends were children and сould not remember). If you will smell as "Krasnaya Moskva", it will apprehend as folly, strangeness, bad form. Everyone will be look askance at you and will chuckle at you.. (sorry for my english, I don't now exactly how to say). In general, it will seem strange to surrounding people. So I don't use "KM", in spite of the fact that it is pleasant to me. :(

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I got a bottle of this in a swap with the lovely Fiesta!

It's not quite what I expected. It's much more floral and sweet than the other chypre florals I have tried. I get a lot of carnation and ylang-ylang. It is lovely, though. It has a very traditional aroma, but at the same time, perfumes that smell like this are not really being made anymore, so I feel like I'm wearing something special and unique when I put it on.

It strikes me as a good scent for this time of year (summer in Nebraska right now), and I'm curious to see how it will smell in wintertime.

My one complaint is that it doesn't stick around for very long. It lasts about three hours, even on skin that is not exposed or on clothing.

Overall, it's worth a try and I'm pleased to have a scent with such an amazing history that inspires such passionate responses. :-)

I have no childhood affiliation with this perfume, and no Russian relatives, so this is purely a review of the perfume and not the politics. It's lovely. First on, I get a strange candied floral aldehyde, just very old style perfume with a sweet tart edge that smells almost innocent. Dry down produces an edge commonly referred to as the 'play-doh' note, which I believe comes from tonka or sometimes from powdery vanillas. Strangely it works very well here. I end up with a floral blend with candy and slightly salty vanilla notes. It's fun and oddly pretty. Pleasant and enjoyable. I really like this and plan to look for it. It must be worn in small doses or it does indeed become overwhelming. UPDATE: I have bought the whole 3.3oz bottle and am loving it.

rebella

Maybe we should start a discussion about perfume and politics in the forum instead, and leave this space for what it´s for; reviews.

Malegria

Belle, you should read with more attention. Juliette was referring to a liberal socialism - not a totalitarian on that was in former USSR. Many European countries enjoy benefits of such socialism without the horrors you are writing about (I wouldn`t mind affordable medical care, btw...).You are talking about very different things!

Malegria

Eros,take it easy.There are many things in the world that remind us of horrible things.If this perfume is so tightly connected in your mind with socialism - I really feel sorry for you, you must be having panic attacks seeing BMWs on the streets just cause it was financed by Nazi.For many people this perfume is connected with pleasant memories - our loved ones, mothers, childhood. I would not want anyone to go ahead and spoil it for me.Live and let live, will you.

Russian

Eros,nobody with a brain inside of his/her head would want socialism back.But this doctrine IS part of modern history,noone could ever deny it,nor you.It is good that Krasnaya Moskva is still produced,so this time could be remembered by us- with it's good and mostly bad parts.
It's about the air,the time,the memories that come in your mind when you feel this fragrance.
Whether it was socialism,nazism or whatever else,this is history and this fragrance is a part of it.
I really don't get why would you hate so fragrance this much...

Russian

I "met" this some days ago,at my grandmother's house.I knew almost nothing about this fragrance,except for the fact that was one of the most popular fragrances in the USSR.
My grandmother still uses it,though she has a lot of other perfumes bought recently.She told me this perfume was very hard to find those times,because it was a very expensive one.She got hers when she visited Moscow a long time ago.
I held the bottle in my hands for a couple of minutes,undecided whether I should try it or not.Honestly,I was afraid I might despise it.But my curiosity was stronger that any fear,so I opened it.
Strange but true,the first thing that came to my mind is that this fragrance is a VERY strong Chypre floral,though I never knew what was the olfactive group this belonged to.
Now,I realise that it is the coriander + a little of bergamot that make that strong first-sensation.The carnation is the "basic" ingredient for the middle notes and the base notes are very powdery and extremely long-lasting.
I am so glad I didn't hate this fragrance,because I really wouldn't want to.For me,this fragrance is a symbol and a statement of a period of time that women have passed through.
This fragrance is bold and it's a perfect match for the name - Red Moscow.Because Moscow is a unique city,because red is a provocative colour,because bold things deserve to make history,that's what Krasnaya Moskva states.
In my opinion,this fragrance is the Moscow's smell,the old,soviet Moscow,the city that made and still makes history and I'm so glad this fragrance is still produced and it's capable to pass on the air from an old generation to a future one!

Kotofey

Modern version of Krasnaya Moskva was reconstructed by Jacque Cavallier. So, composition for this parfum is manufacturing by Firmenich.

rebella

This is that kind of fragrance that I want to own, more for what it is than for how it smells. It´s kind of cult for me, living in western europe to have something that was so big and popular during the soviet-era. And now, thanks to dear F_A i have a whole bottle of my own. It feels really cool, but when I tried it one, I didn´t expect to like it so much. But guess what? I do! The topnotes is strong, sweet, fresh and lemony, almost to strong for me, but without causing headache. I guess it actually could when I am more sensitive. No problem, I was out walking with my dog and sniff once in a while and think it was good. When I come home the fragrance has settled and become very soft, sensual, powdery, a little sweet, very nice indeed. And the drydown lasted for so long. So to own the bottle is the big thing for me, but the fragrance is really worth trying and enjoying. Not maybe a big favourite, but when I am in the mood for something classic, yet a bit different and longlasting, I wouldn´t hesitate to chose this one.

archangel
archangel

I remember this perfume, my Granny used to wear it when I was a child.I still remember that spicy, old-fashioned and sooo pleasant smell.

F_A
F_A

This fragrance is a wind from the past when my mum was a young lady and I was a naughty child running around and pouring her Krasnaya Moskva on myself:D Indeed this fragrance was very popular in Soviet Union.

The old version of KM was more spicy, stronger and more rich. The new version is very similar, but I find less character in it. I still find it beautiful. It can be "a cousin" of Guerlain's famous Mitsouko for my nose. Krasnaya Moskva gives this elegant and classy feel. On my skin it smells of dusty rather than powdery flowers. The weather where those flowers grow is hot and the air is dry. Lovely chypre!

P.S. Novaya Zarya also exports its fragrances under the name "Nouvelle Etoile" and "Brocard".

jeca

I bought Red Moscow in pure perfume as they wrote on the label. It's still very chip, only 147 rubles (about 5 dollars), and beautiful, but less oily and less carnation (unfortunately), also I remember this perfume was very powdery, in the final notes, even dusty thanks to the base ingredients (orris, tonka and vanilla). I smell it now on my wrist, but the dustiness is not so oriental and so total as I remember it was. It's dusty warm in more wearable way.
The perfume became thinner.

Malegria

I like it so.I like it despite of the fact that noone wears it anymore, and if one does, one does not admit it.Red Moscow`s reputation was spoiled for years, almost creating a nickname for a stinky perfume out of it...How sad! The scent is truly beautiful, yet very retro. It is also very recognizable, which is almost always a sign of a real masterpiece. I had pleasure of trying the old version - my grandma had it, though never used it, and it was bought in early 60s.Fantastic! Oily carnation (one of the best, imho), head turning jasmine, and those sensual notes of ylang ylang and rose.The heart opens with such exhilaration, that one can easily forget the reputation and age of this scent - it`s very, very young at heart! I like to wear it and get compliments too, though some of my Russian girlfriends refuse to believe it.Good for you if you`re not predigeous! Yo can widen your horizons so much more.

jeca

I've found it in their boutique this summer, in the perfume extract. I think now it's softer, less spicier, more floral and warm. But it's still Krasnaya Moskva.