Designers » N-Q » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Still Life Olfactive Studio for women and men

Still Life Olfactive Studio for women and men
dislike

Still Life Olfactive Studio for women and men Pictures Still Life Olfactive Studio for women and men Pictures Still Life Olfactive Studio for women and men Pictures

Celine Verleure is the creator of a new niche perfumery line. As someone with extensive experience in the perfume industry, Celine first launched a blog about the fragrances that still hadn’t been made, looking for inspiration and ideas from her readers. The Olfactive Studio line was born that way. Olfactive Studio is a blend of modern art photography and the world of perfumes, since both these medias capture a moment and its atmosphere. It is “an encounter between contemporary artistic photography and perfumery; between the eye and the nose…It is at the crossroads of a photographic studio and a perfume design studio”.

The inspiration for the first three perfumes of the collection is topics of self-portrait, dark chamber and still life, transformed into fragrances Autoportrait, Chambre Noire and Still Life.

Celine Verleure first conceived the names of the perfumes, then gave freedom to three different photographers to showcase their interpretation of the same, and then these images served as inspirations for the perfumers who created the compositions.

Frederic Lebain 's photography lies behind the creation of Still Life. Still Life is a sparkling, energetic and joyful fragrance that celebrates life itself. This exotic cocktail is signed by the perfumer Dora Baghriche-Arnaud.

Top notes: yuzu, elemi and pepper (pink, black and Sichuan pepper). Heart, star anise and galbanum. Base: dark rum, cedar and ambrox.

All three fragrances are available as 50 and 100 ml EDP.

Still Life was launched in 2011.

Yuzu Pink Pepper elemi Black Pepper Sichuan Pepper

Galbanum Star Anise

Virginia Cedar Amber Rum

Eau de Cartier Zeste de Soleil

Still Life Fragrance Reviews

jjangeeya
jjangeeya

Smells creamy on my skin

aniwolfe
aniwolfe

This was a little disappointing to me. I felt that it wasn't very unique. I thought it had too much of a similar smell to Chanel Edition Blanche. Which isn't a terrible thing. But, if you have it in your wardrobe, then its more of the same. Plus, the performance was not very good. It had decent longevity, but it was a skin scent from beginning to the end.

Smell: 3 out of 5
Longevity : 3 out of 5
Projection: 1 out of 5
Uniqueness: 2 out of 5
Price: 1 out of 5 ($195 for 100ml) O.O

2 out of 5

WARNING!: Sample before you buy!

seekritdude
seekritdude

I got a few different things out of this when I tried it. Basically each time I smelled it my nose would liken it to something different. Sometimes I would get the 7up sorta smell, sometimes a sorta orange or lemon candy... and sometimes a sorta.. lemon cleaning agent. My nose just couldnt make up its mind. So I guess depending on what your nose recalls this to will probably determine on just how much you like this...

Certainly its very fresh, juicy, sweet, wearable drink sorta whatever you want to call it. But my nose just couldnt seem to make up its mind.

Unfortunately however on my first wearing of this I got some of the worst performance I have gotten out of a fragrance in a long time. Maybe after 2 hours it was gone, and then it was skin scent all the way. And im not talking one or 2 inchs you can smell it skin scent. I mean nose literally to my arm and even then barely any determinable smell. Not sure what was up with that, and certainly ill try it again but man first wearing of this was not kind on my skin at the very least.

ConsumerThis
ConsumerThis

I got a discovery set from this house to review on my YouTube channel, which I still need to do. However, honestly there are two that are full bottle worthy as the opening of each fragrance are great, but dry down to not so great scents and or longevity stunk!
This , which I have a full bottle of now and sore today and Chambre noire are the two best from the house. Still life is better for hot weather but is also a good contender for ones signature scent and Chambre noire for cold weather as its a boozy and woody delight with a divine dry down as well
Still life really won my love in its dry down. The opening which is an amazing citrus that I've never smelled before is what I get for the first few hours, then it dries down to its own fragrance which is more masculine and the ambrox cedar combo in the base with boozy notes is a real complement getter! Amazing. I would even put my name on this to say blind buy worthy!

salman4001
salman4001

My wife had it. It's very good.
It likes to Mexx Waterlove.
Scent 8/10
sillage 7/10
longevity 8/10
I recommended it.

mikenac
mikenac

Smells like 7UP. Does not smell like Terre d'hermes at all. Not as good as Frapin L'humaniste, though it is slightly stronger. Not worth the money at all. If you want yuzu, go with Izzy Myaki.

mezameyo
mezameyo

A pleasant, peppery citrus scent with unremarkable performance.

This opens with a big punch of somewhat peppery yuzu. Having previously lived in Japan for a number of years, I can attest that this is a fairly realistic rendition. Yuzu is a fuller and less sharp citrus scent than lemon or citron. After only a few minutes the yuzu fades in relative prominence, while the pepper gets louder. Into the drydown, just enough of the yuzu remains to give the pepper a lemony tinge. On me, the base notes are pretty much AWOL. Unlike others, I don't get any booziness or sweetness out of this. For me, it is quite dry.

On my skin, the projection is moderate for about 30-45 minutes, then settles down closer. Becomes a skin scent after a couple of hours and hangs on that way for several more hours.

Overall, quite nice, but the performance doesn't justify the cost for me.

*Edit: This turns out to be my wife's favorite fragrance on me, of the few that I own. She likes this one because it does not smell artificial or "perfumey," it is bright and uplifting instead of dark or heavy, and it is not too loud. All good qualities for an office scent, I would say.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

A very easy to wear and signature worthy scent. Saying that it is the niche equivalent to Chanel Bleu. Not in terms of the smelling alike but the compliment factor and them being so easy to wear. I don't see many people disliking this as it is perfect scent wise. Longevity is in the 8-10 hour range and sillage is average for majority of the scent. The yuzu note stays dominant throughout the longevity of the scent but the pepper/boozy dry down is stellar! It also has a slight tangy/bitter edge the same way Armani Code does because of the star anise. It can easily be worn in all four seasons and is a must try!

Arsenal Till I Die
Arsenal Till I Die

I cannot deny the quality of this whole line but promising openings on almost all of them end up transitioning to being a tad to feminine for me to personally want to wear. I'd much prefer to smell them on a female and Still life is possibly the only one I'd wear myself.

The opening blast is Yuzu and a good dose of pepper, think Comme de garcons like, with a touch of elemi. Very fresh and spicy which gives it a fizzy pop. This all dissipates quite quickly and drys down to become very delicate.

Im no expert on notes, so not sure if it the Galbanum that causes this to smell very floral whilst being mixed with the rum in the dry down to make this almost tip slightly over to the fem side but I think the cedar may be the saving grace for this.

Not a complex fragrance by any means but an extremely pleasent and easy to wear fragrance fit for any occasion. I can see this one being a compliment magnet. Not much to dislike about this, except maybe the price but I'd happily pay it.

Escoteric
Escoteric

I remember going to NYC in the late 90s, and this just reminds me of walking down Madison Ave. Its Christmas, punch, walking into perfume marts, and the Macy's Cosmetic Counter women saying oh your accent is gorgeous!

It smells a lot like Lacoste Booster, but on steroids.

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

A wonderful citrus. Nothing like any other citrus scents I have encountered.
It's just right, like a perfect drink or a perfect cocktail. Not to sweet, not too sour, appropriate to be enjoyed by both sexes and appropriate for all occasions.

Great balance of delicate peppery notes, spread on a base of delicious elemi, rum, woods.Yuzu is present to the very end. Lond lasting on me, projects decent. Nothing cliche about Still Life, went straight up to favourites shelves.

amirali0072000
amirali0072000

The scent is well balanced.. it is likable and a definite try though not a full bottle..amazing composition..oh i love it
سمبل ارچینالشو دارم..طالبین پبام خصوصی بدهد

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Wow!! Delicious, explosive, energetic, colorful and unique !! Immediately reveals his soul festive, energetic and fun! note Yuzu with pink pepper is a perfect marriage, and pepper is well balanced with the opening notes ... after about 10 minutes evolves and come in the star anise and galbanum (anise is balanced and not invasive). The Galbanum joins perfectly with the rest, turning the scent a little more "hot" but keeping the soul happy and bubbly. Then, the fragrance evolves yet .. and base notes begin to emerge rum (really very nice in this composition), cedar and amber that "calm" a little early energetic and festive start ... almost as if the party is about to end .. but I still have my cocktail in hand, and I drink sitting, amused by the party, from the sun, and summer! Council much for the summer .. is perfect! unfortunately the sillage is soft .. so needs many sprays, but longevity is good (about 8 hours on me) ... I just buy a full bottle of this perfume! I like it;) this perfume was able to put on a smile, and make me feel happy ^^★

Sillage: 5.5/10

Overall: 8./10

becuille
becuille

A beautifully uplifting boozy lemon (ok, lemon yuzu, but I can't tell the difference) with a pinch of pepper and a woody base.

This is so happy, so cheerful. It's that first day after winter fully breaks, the sun is shining and everyone is smiling, wearing less, mowing lawns and congregating outdoors.

It's really lovely. However, it barely lasts 3 hours on me and turns soapy towards the end, which is a shame. I'd liked to have gotten more anise out of it too, but then I already own Luminere Blanche which is very anise-y so I can't really complain.

Truly unisex, very uplifting, perfect for summer. It just doesn't have the longevity I'd need to buy a full bottle.

halftwintowers

This has to be one of the safest niche fragrances I've ever smelled. If it wasn't for the steep price, I'd say this is a must own. Sometimes, you just want to smell good without all of the complexity. I can't see too many people disliking this smell.

halftwintowers

While out of town, I decided to visit a local perfumery. I must've spent at least two hours testing various houses: Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Diptyque, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Fredrick Malle, etc. Despite my efforts, I could not find a scent that wowed me. It wasn't until I got to Still Life when I realized my search was over. I love this smell! Sparkling yuzu tempered by the assorted peppers - this initial phase is so wonderful. The mid gets better as the star anise sweetens the fragrance. It almost smells like sparkling orange champagne cocktail (has to be the rum) with candy orange jelly slices. The rum and amber in the base adds a sexy quality to the fragrance. My only gripe is that it doesn't last longer than 5 hours on my skin and the projection is moderate. However, I get excellent longevity on clothing...maybe 10 hours. The performance did not prevent me from making my most expensive fragrance purchase to date (I usually can find good online discounts), and I feel it was so worth it. The smell is divine. I can't wait to try this in a warmer climate; I'm hoping the performance improves.

josevancouver
josevancouver

I like this fragrance. Love the natural-smelling Yuzu/citrus off the top with rum/amber/woods at the base. I like the pepper, but find it does not distract from the other notes in this fragrance. While I could classify this as a Spring/Summer fragrance, I actually believe this could be worn in the colder months. Longevity is pretty good, sillage not as much.

jacobbonilla
jacobbonilla

This one blew me away! A glass of sweet rum with fresh squeezed citrus laced around the rim with sprinkled sugar covering the citrus. And for soooome reason there's a bowl of fresh ground pepper sitting near by on the table. Yeah, something like that. This fragrance is something special! A must buy for me.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Still Life by Olfactive Studio opens with a catchy citrus-fizzy note, a bit plain but lively and zesty, with silky and slightly creamy neroli/orange nuances, then an odd sort of greenish-mossy “warm” accord, a bit metallic and a bit salty (calone?) with a sort of sweaty-shady substance but at the same time fruity, which I can not really identify (I read the scent shall contain notes of galbanum, elemi, spices, perhaps the way the three of them are elaborated creates this weird soup-ish accord - especially because of galbanum). Finally, sandalwood and resinous notes on the base. I don’t get the boozy note, at least not that clear. Overall, despite the peculiar opening, the scent quickly turns into a quite conventional and mono-dimensional fragrance with no particular interest whatsoever, basically a fizzy citrus-green scent with spices, floral nuances, resinous-ambery-woody notes and overall sweet-creamy texture – a sweet Oriental, in short. The only variation which may still keep your attention alive is “that” odd accord, which won’t go away for quite a while, providing a (to me) fairly unpleasant metallic-sweaty-salty nuance, halfway spicy and rotten with an odd, warm fruity feel. Not that far from some 1990’s masculine scents, the spicy-sweet ones, almost smelling like a sort of half-creative, half-insulting cut & paste collage of some key notes like citrus, woods, spices, resins. Intriguing at first (just to see “where it is going”), then (once you realise it’s basically going nowhere) a bit boring and unsubstantial, yet overall not that bad. Fun to try if you have the chance to.

6-6,5/10

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

"Still Life" has a lot in common with "Guerlain Homme": Dry, zesty sweetness on a bed of warm woods.

The yuzu is bitter, like lemon rind and the whole thing has a seared, sticky candy quality owed to the rum note. It smells as if you were to spill Southern Comfort and lemon soda on your skin and then let it evaporate in the sun. That warm, slightly powdery sweetness is quite appealing, but not particularly refreshing, so I don't see this as a summer scent.

It's also very close to the skin and barely lasts longer than 2 hours, which is a disappointing feature of this brand. As natural as their scents are, they all seem to have very poor performance.

Nevertheless, this is a youthful and appealing fragrance for a man in his early twenties.

SusyQ
SusyQ

@Gwizz: On Olfactive Studio's website (as of today: 2014-10-17) they list the notes of Still Life - and the list is coherent with the one here on Fragrantica : )

milkyway
milkyway

I loved it from the first cognac-rich sniff! It has this wonderful boozy woody reach smell that just lingers on forever. I got candied fruit and nice oily wood..
If it were me, I would buy it today...but my SO after sniffing this on me said it smells like worn-out clothes that hasn't been washed in a few weeks. Appalling. Shows how differently we all perceive smells.

Lana148
Lana148

I like Still Life. It's very gender neutral, peppery, sweet-spicy yuzu. Nice, casual summer fragrance, but feels too diluted and overpriced for what it is.

lollero
lollero

First you get the lemon (I know it's yuzu don't know if there's any difference but it really smells like lemon!) and man it is strong! Smells like a very strong lemon juice. After ten minutes it disappears completely and it gets very soft and light. The dry down is what you need to wait for because it's marvelous! I've never smelled anything quite like this.

Cassiano
Cassiano

This niche perfume line was completely inspired by the art of photography.
The photographer of this work was Frédéric Lebain and what very few people know - what I was told by the creator of the brand, Céline Verleure – is that the inspiration of this fragrance was a caipirinha watching the sunset at the Arpoador, in Rio de Janeiro.
The perfumer was Dora Arnaud, who has already created for L'Artisan Parfumeur, Versace, among others.

The fragrance is composed by notes of yuzu, elemi and peppers (pink, black and Sichuan), in the output; in the heart, notes of galbanum and star anise. And finally, notes of rum, cedar and ambrox, at the base.

Before speaking of the fragrance, I would like to make a small explanation: the yuzu (read yuzú) can be called as either orange yuzu or lemon yuzu. This is due to the fact that is a citrus fruit, of Asian origin, which belongs to the family of grapefruit, in shades between green and yellow. It has taste similar to the grape, with a touch of Tangerine, and aroma similar to the lime, also known in Brazil as lime-orange, but it's more sour and produces a juice like the lemon, widely used for seasonings.

As it was inspired by the caipirinha, this fragrance could not fail to be citrus in its entirety. The pepper mingles with the yuzu at the first whiff. The green aroma of galbanum helps to propagate the central idea and the base only managed to bring the alcohol content of the rum. A fragrance that, although unisex, seemed more masculine than feminine to me.

Don't be surprised if, by chance, you feel some similarity with Guerlain Homme, since this one has the same citric content of lemon, besides mojito and rum.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have good projection and durability on my skin. Maybe I'm needing a drink and my skin has absorbed this caipirinha faster than I thought. I must repeat the test, perhaps on a warmer day, to see how it will behave.

Anyway, the best definition has already been given: Still Life is how to enjoy the sunset at Arpoador, tasting a delicious caipirinha.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Spicy Yuzu...

SL to me is mainly a citrus (yuzu) fragrance accompanied by spices (star anise, pepper) and the sweetness of elemi. The yuzu is of high quality and very nice here. The composition is citrusy, fresh, clean, and bright. It is perfect for casual daily wear, particularly during the hotter months of the year. The smell is pleasant, easy going, and right in the middle of the road (I think it appeals to most people...a safe composition).

Except for a light boozy whiff (presumably from rum...and if it is it must be white rum), I don't get much of the base notes. I think a sensitive nose may pick them up. To me, this fragrance is all about the top and middle notes.

Projection is average and longevity is short (about 2 - 3 hours to me).

Of the OS house, I find SL less interesting than Lumiere Blanche, Flash Back, and Chambre Noire (my favorite).

I think that at $195 for a 100 ml bottle, SL is over-priced. It has a pleasant redolence, but nothing utterly different and special. So, though a likeable composition, is it worth the price? I think not. There are more interesting citrus fragrances from other niche houses in the $120 - $160 price range for a 100 ml bottle. At times, SL even seems to border a citrus designer fragrance, as supposed to a niche one. So, I'm not convinced it is worth the money.

Foxysardar
Foxysardar

I had gotten a sample of whole Olfactive studio line and Still life was the one which got me going.Yuzu is the star of the show and its very natural as compare to synthetic Issey Miyake d'Issey. The spices in the background play a good role and its quite Fresh scent. Its Perfect for Indian Weather I will say and it last for 6 Hours with good projection for first 3 hours.7.5/10

kerini
kerini

I've been searching for my perfect yuzu fragrance for quite a while and out of all those I've tried Still Life is my favourite, hands down.
Fresh and citrusy with some depth from pepper and resins.
Very nice.

gomt
gomt

Still Life is enamouringly festive, sparkling like champage. Boozy, citrusy, spicy and sweet. It could last longer, though.

nada
nada

I love the way it starts developing straight after spraying. Interesting sugary citrus scent.

mendwillie
mendwillie

Grand. What a delicious citrus smell is this, does not resemble anything I know, here Yuzu not smell synthetic or much less aged, here it mingles with the delight of Rum and Galbanum giving equilibration at this delight, pink pepper comes give a tone to the total power spicy citrus fragrance that particularly pleases me very much. Longevity and projection are very good on me.

I classify it thus:
Smell: 10/10
Projection: 8.5/10

drouhin
drouhin

Pleasant citrus with a boozy-anisic-resinous undergirding. Nice, but not a rave like many of the reviews below. Perhaps I'm anosmic to something in this, because I'm getting virtually no projection. I almost have to rest my nose on my wrist to detect it.

Arber Cami
Arber Cami

I absolutely love this smell, not like the typical lemon based-summer-spring-cheap-not ordinary smell
An absolute must for those who like summer/spring smells with a touch of mystery

Sillage 7/10
Longetivity 7/10
Uniqueness 10/10

Still Life is my second scent that I try from this house. It's also a love at first sniff. Such a refinement for citrus aromatic type. Very refreshing and light but stay strong throughout the day. Green citrus, yes! Sorbet-like, yes! Peppery, sure why not! Anise, rum, and more cedar. Oh my! Olfactive Studio surely started to grab my full attention and soon enough my wallet too.

Moszatka
Moszatka

The best summer fragrance! Fresh and beautiful! I love it! My summer-signature scent.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

Sugared peppery yuzu, smelling between lemon and bergamot. Quite bracing masculine opening. I think there are some aquatic notes hiding in there.

RogerJr17
RogerJr17

This fragrance is magnificent. It's good, but I've smelled it before. I bought the sample pack and went down the line and when I got to Still Life, I smelled it. I took it in. I swore I was smelling Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. They smell very similar and have almost the same vibe.

Olfactive Studio STILL LIFE opens white and bright and as a matter of fact LUMIERE BLANCHE would have been an excellent name for this composition! Once it settles a bit, the green citrus presents itself front and center. I was attempting to guess the notes and decided that it must be petit grain. According to the hierarchy, what I'm "really" detecting is yuzu and galbanum. That's okay: the important point is: green citrus.

STILL LIFE smells very nice for what it is and I believe that it is stronger than the other members of this series, an impression which is confirmed by the 77% alcohol content as opposed to 80% listed for all of the others. The overall effect is similar to my nose to compositions such as Banana Republic W or Bond no 9 EAU DE NEW YORK, although this particular green citrus appears not to contain any flowers whatsoever. In the drydown I am able to detect the elemi and pepper as well, which sets this creation further apart from the floral citrus crowd.

Overall, STILL LIFE is a fine and refreshing unisex scent. Probably best for spring and summer, though it could certainly be worn in cold weather to lift one's spirits!

m_e110
m_e110

kamelan ba boye mivee majzob konnadash moafegheam va mipasandam kheili aali ba inke boye miane mandegari dare vali pishnahad khobi baraye on daste az dostanie ke be donbale majzob kardan khanomaye javon va por neshate man ehsas kardam mishe ba karaye higher dior az lahaze mivee bodam ghias beshe

lee.wok
lee.wok

Reminds me of Frapin's L'Humaniste. A very appealing slightly sweet, boozy citrus scent.

LadyMurasaki
LadyMurasaki

A very pleasant yuzu scent, more yuzu peel than flesh. The sharpness of the pepper note recedes quickly and mingles perfectly with the yuzu note, creating a well-balanced scent.

prot72
prot72

Ok - beautiful but 100% copy of Navegar by L Artisan Parfumeur. May be this is good because Navegar is gone, discontinued, however the question is - does the world need the copy even the original was a masterpiece?

Average quality modern citrus. A slightly boozy lemon-tea cocktail. If you like to smell like a drink, go ahead...

Dries down to a typical woody-amber base that while not being remarkably synthetic or scratchy, it's still very far from resulting enough interesting to bother...

Rating: 5-6/10

Portia Turbo
Portia Turbo

For less than 3 minutes I can smell this before my skin eats up all traces of it.
GRRRRR
I even used petroleum jelly smear on my wrist to try and keep it. Still so short for me

Pursuant: Thinking it was a loser I sprayed the rest of the sample on my partner after his shower before bed and he smelled good. We wake up this morning and there are still sexy traces of what must be the cedar and rum. DELICIOUS!
Very close to the skin but a good reward for getting that close.

alaaddin777
alaaddin777

i think the best of the serie.delicious...semi sweet and a little bit sour yuzu.(light mix of orange and grapefruit)
it is light version of montale red vetiver(terre d'hermes edp).IMHO it smells like Hermes Voyage with non-pepery
suitable for men and women.it has huge sillage and longlivity.perfect for summer and spring.
so simple, so original, so genius.
GREAT JOB....10/10