Designers » N-Q » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Original Penguin for Men Original Penguin for men

Original Penguin for Men Original Penguin for men
dislike

Original Penguin for Men Original Penguin for men Pictures

The fashion brand Original Penguin launches its first fragrance in 2011, although it has been around since the 1950s. Original Penguin for Men is a fresh mix of modern oriental aromas, ideal for relaxed, witty and charming men.

The scent opens with refreshing top notes of neroli and golden apples. The heart of the composition consists of pepper, lavender and fir, wrapped in the base of vanilla, patchouli and musk.

It is available as 50 and 100 ml EDT.

Neroli Red Apple

Lavender Pepper Pine

Musk Patchouli Vanille

Original Penguin for Men Fragrance Reviews

Nolan007
Nolan007

I love this fragrance It has a lovely scent and puts you in a good mood while wearing it! When I wear it I smell mostly Vanilla, Red apple and same lavender however I'm no the best at spotting scents! I prefer it a bit more during the day and in cool weather such as but doesn't have to be it's pretty versatile!
With this cologne I get great longevity I'd say about up to 8 hours and a pretty good silage I've also had good compliments! I've made this my signature fragrance because I feel it compliments my personality very well! I defiantly recommend this product because it's not super pricey and has a great scent!

blake123
blake123

Perfect for casual wear in the fall. It's simple and has an oriental vibe that makes it ideal for the cooler weather. For some reason it reminds me of one of those halloween candy buckets (those pumpkins with the handle) filled with candy. I think its the apple. Otherwise a nice casual frag.

Grottola

While I'm honored to be one of the first reviews for a moderately popular men's fragrance, I'll have to make a confession: I was wrong.

Well, to some degree.

For a long time I shunned Original Penguin away as "boring", "average", and possessing the same metallic apple/cardamom sort of accord I get out of many modern masculines (how's that for alliteration?). However, I was recently given a 3.4oz tester bottle of Original Penguin as a gift, and I'll be damned if the lavender (or something) in this fragrance doesn't create one of the lushest, richest burnt almonds/roasted nuts vibe, like some sort of caramelized and candied legume. I feel like the lavender is doing this, but my god, is it ever lovely. And, not only does that stage of this fragrance last a good few hours, but the base notes are quite smooth and enjoyable.

I'm still iffy about that piercing metallic apple smell, but it's a small price to pay for such a rich accord that dominates the fragrance. I'm sure I'll be breaking Original Penguin out a good bit when the weather's cold.

C@nn@r
C@nn@r

I found Original Penguin for $25 for a 3.4oz so I bought it and gave it a try. Let me first say that the musk is pretty strong from the opening all the way to the dry down. The first spray I mostly get musk and only a bit of powdery sweet vibe in the background. Then it slowly smoothes out to a bit more woody sweet with the powdery lavender. When it has completely dried down, I get a nougat vibe with a bit of musk and some fir. I have never smelled the red apple or the neroli.

I find myself only using this in fall/winter for casual use. I think this cologne can get cloying if it gets warm out. I get over 8 hours longevity with moderate sillage. The scent is mostly generic and I find myself reaching for this cologne less and less as I acquire new cologne. I would mention this cologne to others but not really put in a great word for it. Definitely try it before buying it because many people can be turned away by the muskiness.

Sillage: 6/10
Versatility: 4/10
Overall: 6/10

scentedkub
scentedkub

I found a gift set of this for dirt cheap so I bought it blind. Tried it today, and I'm somewhat displeased. Not that it smells terrible, it's just that it started like it would smell one way, but the second it got on my skin it changed instantly to something that smelled a lot like Claiborne Sport and kinda like Lucky You for Men as they smell somewhat similar to me. It's not a bad thing since I like both fragrances. A decent everyday scent. I like the bottle as well.

tgnetz
tgnetz

I picked this gift set up real cheap after the holidays and gave it a whirl. My first impressions were that this is a very soft and subtle fragrance. The blends of vanilla, lavender, peppers, pine, and musk almost give this a pipe tobacco feeling. I think that may have something to do with the apple top notes that round out this fragrance nicely. This fragrance makes me want to pull out a cardigan and relax.

I had forgot to mention the bottle. I love the simplistic design and the magnetic cap. A nice touch.

Shoota#1
Shoota#1

This is a great fragrance and a very aromatic scent with a touch of wood. Definitely a must for any collector of good scents.

estewart51
estewart51

I just don't get anything other than STRONG Musk. I mean if there is Lavender and Vanilla I have yet to catch it. This smell is so masculine. It's powerful upon application so people are sure to smell you. There is no uniqueness to this frag. It's simply just a crisp, manly, MUSKY scent.

samatl74
samatl74

A very pleasant and inexpensive vanilla/ sweet apple frag. It has a creamy vibe to it as well. I got this at Target haha. Nice smelling, unique, but not very long lasting, however I think it is very well worth the price and is quite underated.

mvhooper2
mvhooper2

Best 25 dollars I've spent on a cologne. Found it at TJ and had to try it. Presentation is great;nice box and a very classy/cool bottle. The juice, once settled is really very good. My interpretation is they took some notes from Boss Bottled no.6 , Abercrombie's fierce and curve and mixed and matched the notes, voila! Modern and masculine with just enough vanilla to smooth it out.

kinetisphere
kinetisphere

i have heard about this for awhile now and never really jumped on board... let me tell you i was wrong.. this is quite a good scent if you like fresh and sweet. i can see myself wearing this almost all year long.. maybe not during winter cause i like my gourmands for that season... lets start with it's price... i found a 1 ounce bottle at walmart for like 25$ it's not the cheapest but it's not really pricey either i think you get a good bang for the buck with this one.. next is the smell.. simple. it smells good, fresh and clean with a hint of sweet and some spicey.. it engulfs you with a cloud of a very pleasant aromas..{just one spray}
that's how i test a fragrance start with one good blast if it last then i proceed.. after i got this and did the initial spritz it lasted for a good 6-8 hrs on my skin. i have to add i rarely spray my skin unless i am testing. so if it last this long on flesh it should last longer on clothes..

all in all it is worth a notice..
i give this fragrance a big thumbs up..

*note if you could imagine the freshness of ADG mixed with the sweet of sun java and the aromatic's of coolwater with a hint of peppery goodness on top you have this.. does it remind me of others; yes it does.

but original enough not to be mistaken for anything else. you should go check out the OG penguin.

eric.cius
eric.cius

Just received this fragrance and I am very impressed. The opening is very similar to F by Ferragamo, I'm guessing it's the apple and pepper, which is great because I love F. But then it changes from there as the musk and vanilla come into play while being "lightened" by the pine. It just smells fantastic. It's also very versatile. As the reviewer below mentioned this can be worn in warm weather. I find it can be worn day or night, casual or formal.
Gucci pour homme II is no longer my sig scent (as it's getting hard to find) Original penguin is my new signature scent. Longevity and sillage are above average as well. What a gem.

BevSN
BevSN

One of my favorites! Knocked out Nautica Voyage for best cologne for the price. A vanilla musk with spiced apple. The lavander is there, but doesn't take over the fragrance at all. Awesome projection & longevity and has never gotten too cloying for me in the summer. In fact, warmer weather is when I have received the most compliments on it. Would recommend to anyone looking for an amazing fragrance at a low cost!

WNYPitaboy
WNYPitaboy

I Won This! YES! I won something!

When Original Penguin released this scent they had a contest on facebook to give away a 3.4 ounce bottle and I was shocked to find I won!

With that said ... This is DEFINITELY one of my al time favourite scents!

Original Penguin is one of those few scents which combines common ingredients to become something "more".

Aromatically the smooth, sensual scents of musk and vanilla flow throughout this fragrance.

A noticeable "pang" of spiciness lies just beneath [pepper] giving it a distinctively masculine essence.

Finishing it all off is an dash of apple which, along with the neroli, complete this frangrance with a light citrus smell.

Strangely lacking, to my emense pleasure, is the smell of patchouli. While it may linger in a very small quantity, it does not carry on it's usual mission of conquering all other ingredients. Having an allergy to patchouli, my lack of sinus congestion when I wear Original Penguin is a testament to the
subtleness of it's presence.

This is just a great smell for the guys which will last for hours but not have that overkill "punch".

Original Penguin is definitely one of my "top shelf" scents!

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

When I was young, I remember my father using one of many aftershave splash which had the similar notes that are in this fragrance
The first time I sampled Original Penguin, I enjoy the top notes of Neroli with a very slight warn tone from hint vanilla and apple. The base notes of Amber, Musk, with a peppery scents gives it a soft warm and a slightly sweet aroma which comes off excellent. The slight aroma of pine helps to give this cologne a really nice woodsy scent making it a real attractive powdery masculine aroma.
What I love about this cologne is the deep notes it has and it isn't harsh, but a nice classy scent.
Overall, I give this cologne 7.5/10...
Bravo Original Penguin

stayclose
stayclose

This starts off with a blast of peppery musk with inteense sweetness, sort of candie like but not tart just a sugar vanilla type of sweetnes. The synthetic musk lingers throughout its life. It does smell like other sweet frags out right now like one mill, carlos santana, ysl l'homme but this one does not develop its very linear kinda like curve.

This reminds me of various Middle Eastern candies. Lavender is a popular ice cream/nougat flavoring.
There is a good dose of pine, but it doesn't make Penguin smell of cleaning product, it just lightens it up a bit.
Best way I can describe it is a sweet, aromatic vanilla.

kenney77

Bought it today very sweet love the opening very good choice for a first cologne Very outstanding very good buy very masculine very awsome I like this one it's not the run of the mill cologne very different

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

It isn't listed but I get a amber vibe off this for sure. Not bad, can be found cheap some places...Original was liked by Rat Pack, so it can't be too bad right? Smells a tad like Safari....

A fresh, masculine aquatic with peppery wood notes, sweetened by the apple. Great take on the usual Pour Homme type scent and easy to wear

bcire3k
bcire3k

If this is anything like Rocks by Original Penguin then I love it. Sadly Rocks still isn't up. Either way they both smell strongly of apples.

jacobbonilla
jacobbonilla

I got a sample from Nordstroms and WoW was I impressed! On my skin I got that sweet Apple throughout the whole time, to my nose it was like a sweet red gala Apple. Mixed with some vanilla which makes a warm clean sweet fresh smell, not your typical. I'm getting a bottle!!

jose.m.perez
jose.m.perez

Is a sweet, warm, woody and charming fragrance. I can get a nice apple vibe at the opening and musky/vanilla at the dry down.
Nice for winter but a think you can wear this one all year long. Not a very strong masculine scent but is still very good for a men to wear everyday. The longevity is great, 6 to 8 hrs on me and the sillage is moderate but it projects very well for me. Personally I think this is kind of unique but not mind-blowing. I really recommend Original Penguin!!!
4 out of 5.

Fezziwig
Fezziwig

Penguin seemed masculine right out of the bottle. I enjoyed the apple top notes for the first hour. Once it settled in, I thought the scent became too feminine and reminded me of a perfume my Wife wore years ago, Longing by Coty. I wanted to give this retro cologne a chance but it is not for me.

SmokinYodas
SmokinYodas

I was given a sample of this stuff at the store. At first I didn't smell any apples or cinnimon, just a sweet smell, maybe it was old? The chemistry on my skin was not good. It was okay on the test spray but reminded me of my grandmothers Avon. I tried to wash my arms about 3 times because it started smelling like pooh, I kid you not!. Not trying to put this down, but for me I'd gladly give this away to someone else that lives far away from me.

frostwave
frostwave

I have this as my winter fragrance. It's very warm, slightly sweet, vanilla cinnamonish, not too overpowering but potent enough that others can smell it through a warm jacket. Reminds me of a fireplace but definitely not in the same way as dior fahrenheit (completely different!) When all the guys reach for fahrenheit I stick to original penguin to stand out! :)

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

Saw this today at Lord & Taylor and gave it a try.
Immediately, 1 million came to mine..but less fruitier and less projecting 1 million.

This is a nice scent, but again to reiterate many, this is something that smells like other scents. It honestly just smells like a bunch of fragrances put into a pot and mixed together and you get Original Penguin.

Reminds me of 1 million all too much for me to want to buy this. I like 1 million A LOT honestly...for someone who likes 1 million but doesn't want to jump onto the "everyone and their dad has it" bandwagon and would prefer something totally different just so you can say it's NOT 1 million...then go for this. Not bad overall.

A nice scent that isn't earth shattering..and not surprised to hear that it's at TJ Maxx stores. Defintely would be cheaper there than at L&T's.

5.5/10

tomerits
tomerits

a nice daily casual scent that reminds me a lot of other perfumes,i like the vanilla in it. will work good for office,longevity is great and definitely a safe buy.love it.
my rank 3.5/5.

PSILOVEFRAGRANCES
PSILOVEFRAGRANCES

Got this today at ROSS for $20. Good stuff. Nice, warm, and spicy. Drydown is very similar to Boss Orange for men. Can't say much else about it yet. I just tried it an hour ago.

dmoman
dmoman

The opening was the best part of this easy. It had a cinnimon, warm yet fresh, and boozy...burbon perhaps. Drydown is good but all and all I smelt this before. Maybe my dad has something like this. It's no masterpiece but its good.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Sprayed a little on my hand at Nordstrom's today. I have washed my hands four times with soap and once with hand sanitizer. The scent is still choking me. Very cloying and sweet. I think I expected something more masculine. This kind of scent is very common nowadays in men's fragrance and it's a real shame.

jonr951
jonr951

It's at TJ MAXX already! : )

frankmarmol
frankmarmol

As an everyday fragrance it really works... Amazing longevity.

Grottola

Still not impressed with this one. Like I said before, it's a sweet apple and coriander fougere with a woody-amber drydown. Many have come before it, and many will continue to appear in the future.

Grottola

Please don't take offense to this, but Original Penguin for Men just doesn't impress me. It's another sweet apple fougere along the lines of YSL L'Homme. I've smelled this a thousand times before going back to XS by Paco Rabanne, and I didn't smell anything new here.

Not for me, sorry.

Penguin is a classic everyday scent for everyday men. Apple is not something I smell right off the bat. It just blends in neatly with something sweet and cinnamony; creating this warm and inviting body-hugging masculine scent. Pine note is noticeable but not obvious. It's not exactly mature but it's not a teenage scent either. The base is really oriental to me. After a day of testing, this is not a unique fragrance by any mean. It's made as the introduction to their frag collection. I am sure there will be more to come. For those who likes this kind of sweet warm woody scent with some mild spice. This may be worth checking out. Last but not least, it's pretty affordable too.

Original Penguin for Men by Original Penguin 4.13 out of 5 based on 144 ratings and 37 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Original Penguin Original Penguin for Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Original Penguin Original Penguin for Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Original Penguin for Men by Original Penguin. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Original Penguin for Men by Original Penguin represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.