Designers » N-Q » Chypre « Groups

Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men

Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men
dislike

Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne for men Pictures

Ormonde Man is the first fragrance by the house of Ormonde which is addressed at men—a signature fragrance by Ormonde Jayne.

The perfume is composed of rare components. Opening with notes of juniper berry, bergamot, pink pepper, cardamom and coriander seeds, the heart encompasses precious agarwood and black hemlock. Vetiver, cedar and sandalwood combine with musk in the base. The overall composition is a complex and mystical fragrance that exudes soft woody notes and is full of character and old world sophistication.

The fragrance is available in eau de parfum or Made to Measure Parfum for which the customer selects the concentration as well as bath and body products. Ormonde Man was launched in 2004. The nose behind this fragrance is Geza Schoen.

Bergamot Pink Pepper Cardamom Coriander Juniper Berries

Agarwood (Oud) Black hemlock or Tsuga

Vetiver Cedar Sandalwood Musk

Ormonde Woman

Ormonde Man Fragrance Reviews

dave.pier
dave.pier

Sweet fresh cut pine boards (or, now that you mention it, juniper), with lime. A lovely, fresh, wistful scent.

yann33
yann33

it remind me Santal 33 by le labo. perhaps cardamom touch with santal ..... but good stuff

banorgue
banorgue

It smells very strong chemical aldehides. I do not like it.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Possibly my new signature fragrance and I consider it a MASTERPIECE!

Let's face it, today's market is abundant with so much product that it is very hard to find something that appeals from ALL angles, meaning: scent itself, longevity, wearability, strength or sillage, development and last but not least price.

This creation has me hooked on ALL these aspects. (£140 for 120ml is a bargain for a quality niche Eau de Parfum concentration).

I am a chypre lover to begin with and it really is a misunderstood category. Of course I am a sucker for heavy and pungent orientals, especially when it's cold and it's winter, but this one, a classic 'resinous' chypre is just so perfect for this transitionary time of year: autumn (but I actually think this can be used almost all year round, perhaps not in sweltering summer heat).

Now, I did visit the Ormonde Jayne boutique in London (Royal Arcade) a few days ago and this attractive and charming lady served me, asking me all the right questions a consummate professional like her would. It turned out it was Linda Pilkington, the founder of O.J. herself. This really impressed me immensely and gave me even more intrigue to sample her scents.

She recommended this creation for me and I immediately took a liking to it, given I love chypres and unusual ingredients: The hemlock (she used it first) is a poisonous plant and full of history and mystique. Legend has it that Socrates poisoned himself with a drink made from this plant: indeed it is intoxicating for once sniffed, I can no longer put it down.

Ms Pilkerton also claims to be a pioneer in using oud here in the UK for the first time (before everyone else did) and in the case of this creation the multitude of ingredients are incredibly well orchestrated and blend together to a real Chypre symphony of resinous, creamy, spicy, rich and indulgent, warm and musky olfactory bliss.

Initially the juniper hits you with the bergamot but quickly makes way to this hard to describe abstract oily, coniferous creamy, piney green, somewhat aromatic floral blitz, that isn't really floral but more herbaceous, known as "chypre", the collective effect of various woods, resins, herbs and plant extracts.

What I love about this perfume is that is somewhat understated and does not start with a big bang, more like a noticeable introduction but it is the constantly increasing glimmer and glow from below and underneath that is so compelling. You just cannot help but starting to sniff yourself and this extremely well blended concoction just keeps on going and going. It lasts particularly long and well on fabric!

It is incredibly sophisticated but also smells very natural, relaxed and elegant; just truly unique. It is not a massive projector, more like an elegant 'hummer' rather than a 'screamer', but it is always and confidently there. This restrain makes it so utterly compelling and will make you wanting more.

I also think it is extremely sensuous and sexy in an otherworldly kind of way, not like a brash sexy like "Kouros" or "1 Million" and the likes.

Thank you Linda!! I love you and your creations.

A CHYPRE MASTERPIECE! 10/10

Escoteric
Escoteric

It's O.K, however the price is inversely proportional to the scent. Once you are reminded how much it is any cloud you are enveloped in makes you think this stinks. Another Asiatic influenced offering by J Ormonde.

Little Prince
Little Prince

Ormonde Jayne’s signature release for men was a mysterious case that occurred in the early 00’s. I didn’t know what to expect from it. On first smell the fragrance unfolded effortlessly and created a sweltering mist around me like I had walked through a dense cloud of fragrant smoke.
In the ten first minutes the perfume had me so hooked that I relaxed myself and enjoyed it for the sheer pleasure of watching it evolve. Like other fragrances of the woods category this rich composition makes the star notes not so necessary for the final result. For the book, I get the juniper, pepper, creamy florals and aromatic woods base but the case is that in this classic genre the form avails the perfumer to either create abstract twists that are puzzling and highly complex (Fahrenheit) or rest assured in bold plainness (as is the case of most straightforward vetivers).
Created with top quality materials by the extremely talented Geza Schoen Ormonde Man evolves in a passionless way. It has a deep precise voice, green and woody. An elegant simplicity of style that has the timeless feel of the glorious chypres of the past. Furthermore it is infused with understatement and a sense of aloof assuredness.
I close my eyes and find it hard not to imagine Jef Costello. This is all style.

Momenti
Momenti

"Sadness Is A Blessing" *****

This is my fragrance for melancholy.
When the night comes, summer or winter, and you seem to have everything lost, this perfume will wrap not only your body, but also your soul.
Everything is in tune now, like the notes of this fragrance ensemble.
Perfect.
Now I can cry.

henri345que
henri345que

It's interesting the sensation that Ormonade Man transmit me on skin, because there is a kind of classic aura to me at the same time it seems totally modern. Ormonde Man is not one of those fragrance that opens with strong notes, that seems to pull an impression. It simply keeps itself harmonic, with a more discreet charm, a classical one. To me, the spices aromas dominates its smell: the creamier side of cardamom in contact with the sweet spiciness of pink pepper and the herbal and driest aroma of juniper. The opening has a citrus side and green aroma very delicious, that a little bit after develops into the spices dominance. The base is what makes me think of Ormonde Man as modern instead of classic: altough they list notes like vetiver, cedar and sandalwood, what is the main aroma on it is a mineral shiny woody aroma that seems very modern and synthetic, but that fits well the composition.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The opening of Ormonde Man is quite bold and almost overwhelming at first; all I smell is a slightly syrupy sandalwood note, citrus, spices (a load of cumin and red pepper), vetiver, cedar, and a strong salty note with a slight camphor aftertaste that I guess comes from musk. Basically, imagine a bold woody-spicy scent with a sweet-salty vein, and a vibrant Mediterranean aromatic herbal breeze (juniper?). The oud note is really light, more just a dark medicinal feel on the base. That’s pretty much it, for hours. Frankly this fragrance left me completely indifferent: I find it quite static, cloyingly thick, and too “powerfully generic” to be at least “safely” refined or elegant. Honestly it smells to me like whatever spicy-fresh-boisé designer scent, just “on steroids”, louder and more concentrated. Not bad, but... meh!

crypticat
crypticat

The most beautiful opening of any fragrance I've ever smelled. Just melts your mind. Sadly, the drydown didn't retain this effect and I was left... well, sad. Nevertheless it's still so nice I have no problem wearing it.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

Extremely well polished, with a great blend of notes that leaves nothing to unpleasantly shock your senses. Very long lasting juice that could suit any situation, though for me this would seem to shine most as an evening scent.

The trail it leaves is tastefully seductive. A fantastic signature for a low key, modern renaissance man.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

3.5 from 5 - 92P from 100 - rosemary pine - If you like Finnish sauna and its hot oils' scent, you will like the heart note of Ormonde. The overall fragrance is harsh: Green-dry head with fir, mellow incense, plenty of rosemary, clean, noble and very distinguished and stoic. Seems to be created for high level Gentlemen without any moods. - Ormonde should last longer. If in the late heart note and drydown a certain incongruous synthetic note did not come, and if the overall composition had some more sweet aromatic ingredients, it would achieve 4.5+.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

One of the better oud treatments I've happened across. Geza Schoen has smartly paired the rotwood to cedar, which works because my pure oud distillates all possess hints of cedar's musky sweetness. Drawing out that element seems rather clever to me. However, the pink pepper, coriander, juniper, and yeah, cedar, all assemble into a humdrum olfactory experience. If you're into masculine fougerientals made by upscale niche brands like Amouage and ELDO, you've already smelled something at least 80% like Ormonde Man. Not a problem per say, but just be aware that this isn't the world's most unique composition. However, given the circumstances, it still smells great, like a handful of familiar colognes gathered into one special black-tie aromatic. Hats off to Geza, and for whoever was bright enough to pick his comp over all the rest.

alberto1964
alberto1964

Very light, too light for a man, simple notes of bergamot and pepper. Elegant....nothing more.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

I consider it a perfect scent.
The opening is fresh, fruity by juniper, and heats up in minutes by pepper , I also feel something spicy, cardamom is intense right here.
The heart begins to appear through the green woody touch and keeps warm with a touch dry, I think it is oud but nothing too intense, give a semi medicinal smoky kind of scent.
The background is majestic, the above combination is the cedar that appears resinous and also has a creamy touch.
Looks like moss, so it makes it a real chypre but also modern, masterpiece undoubtedly the balance in each note is the differential.

Kain
Kain

This fragrance opens up with a very fresh and pleasant, but also very generic combination of bergamot that give the scent a fresh and tart citrusy aroma and also juniper that give the scent a green and herbal and at the same time sweet fruity feeling.
I can smell some woods too but it's in the background.
It's fresh, fruity, soapy with some woods and some green notes.
The opening was pleasant and kind of disappointing for me but things got very interesting in the dry down and base of the fragrance.
As time goes by, the scent has that fresh and herbal aroma in a nicer and smoother way, but it gets woodier and darker and suddenly some spices joined in and this is the lovely part of this fragrance.
The dry down and base are bitter dark woody scent of oud and cedar with noticeable amount of pepper and some fruits and citruses in the background plus a little amount of vanilla.
Projection is OK and longevity is around 6-8 hours on my skin.
The base of the fragrance is woody and spicy but it's not that strong and also because of those fresh and green notes you will have a versatile fragrance which you can wear all year round.
There is nothing unique and different about it but it's very pleasant, versatile, well balanced and wearable.

یه عطر خوب و خوشبو که البته بوی خیلی خاص و متفاوتی نداره اما فازهای متفاوت و تغییرات نسبتا زیاد و مثبتی داره در طول عمرش روی پوست
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی خنک و مرکباتی و شاداب ترنج شروع میشه که به خاطر رایحه جونیپر یه حس نیمه شیرین و میوه ای و در عین حال گیاهی و سبز هم داره
کمی رایحه چوبها هم به مشام میرسه ولی خیلی ضعیفن و هنوز جایی برای عرض اندام ندارن
رایحه ابتدایی خنک و مرکباتی، صابونی و کمی سبز و گیاهی هست که در مجموع خوشبو و دلپذیره اما بوی خیلی عادی و معمولی و تکراری داره و راستشو بخواین یه جورایی ناامید کننده اس
ولی با گذر زمان بوی عطر بهتر و جذابتر میشه
در رایحه میانی و پایه بوی عطر اون حس گیاهی و مرکباتی خودشو داره منتها ضعیفتر و ملایمتر و حالا هر چی میگذره بوی چوبی عطر قویتر میشه و در این بین کمی رایحه فلفل هم بهش اضافه میشه که در مجموع بوی عطرُ به مراتب جالب تر و جذابتر میکنن
در رایحه پایه بوی تلخ و تاریک چوب عود و چوب سرو رو میشه حس کرد که مقدار مشخصی رایحه فلفل و مقدار کمی رایحه مرکباتی و گیاهی باهاش ترکیب شدن
البته این بوی تلخ و چوبی خیلی قوی نیست و با توجه به اون رایحه مرکباتی و گیاهی خیلی راحت میشه این عطرُ هر 4 فصل استفاده کرد
پخش بوی عطر متوسطه و البته بدک نیست و ماندگاری بین 6-8 ساعت روی پوست داره
کار خوشبو ولی معمولی و عامه پسندیه

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Ormonde Man is nice, masterfully blended. It is woody, peppery, with juniper berries and oud, although in the drydown it is mainly citrusy. Elegant but also casual. And a poisonous herb - black hemlock as one of main ingredients (responsible for these beautiful woody notes) makes it even mysterious. Great but I cannot wear it - it dominates although it is quite weak.

fuggerone
fuggerone

Post modern take on old days powerhouses. Herbal green, peper undertones, spicy juniper, woody drydown. Scent for grown ups!
Moderate sillage, alas!

Carestinus
Carestinus

I may have made Fragrantica's site to collapse with my in-out in-out in-out of this to my top 5 favourites... I did it a hundred times lol. I still can't decide.

Ormonde man is what I'd call the perfect masculine scent. It is without any doubt the one that drove me the craziest this year... the beginning showing a very well blended juniper with some citrus... very refreshing and green, different, very refined but wearable... then you are hit with this amazing oud that makes the blend simply irresistible, thicker, smooth and warmer. I was in heaven by then. It is not too strong and the mix is so sexy and well behaved... I would name this perfume the very essential men's fragrance at this point. No one would smell better than wearing Ormonde man. I don't mean to exaggerate but I swear I thought "this is it!!!".

Imagine now how desperate I felt when 20 minutes later the treasure of a million gold coins became out of magic only 2 packages of pink pepper. I am not a material guy so I thought: ok... what can I make with some pepper? I am still wondering. Any recipes anyone?

This is what some people call (euphemistically to my ears) this house masculines mark. This pepper is also what remains of the wonderful citrus-á-la-AnnickGoutal Isfarkand after 5 minutes so yes... ok... but pepper on its own doesn't make a reliable base to any perfume. I don't think it smells bad... but come on... a wonderful complex perfume can't end in sheer pepper after 20 minutes. Where's the 20% concentration perfume? Is it meant to be the pepper?

Ormonde man is in my top ten list and I feel very sorry for criticizing it but I can't cope with my frustration here... I recommend everyone to wait and see if you like the pepper drydown... The scent loses 80% of its initial strength and later it loses its identity. I still find the first hour memorable and hope Ormonde woman will be similar and longerlasting. Will I be able to convince my pocket to blindbuy again something from this house? mmm... Dear Linda please work on longevity or is it that english love affairs are meant to last this short?

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

SotD: Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Man

This has an intense citrusy/spicy opening, little bit sweet and warm.

As the time goes by, the scent tames down, get some woody notes and also brings so clean smelling.

Funny that English Parfumerie can follow a line and way to do scents with a similar pattern even though time goes during years and years...

I get some similarities to Opus 1870, but Ormonde is more spicy!!! This is a good point as i love Opus.

The dry is a little bit synthetic and simple, with nothing more than musc and cedar. This part could be better.

Good scent for most of occasions/moments, chic, clean...

It is intriguing as it has dark and light accords inside for being fresh and also intense on spices and woods.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

On first application to your skin you get a really invigorating blast of fresh spicy juniper berries and bergamot which leads into a spicy creamy heart of woods and pepper. Mixed in with this is the oud and cardamom and other spices.

The opening is really good then it seems to settle down to boring creamy woody accord. But this is where I nearly misjudged this fragrance because I was smelling this up very close on my wrist.

When I went out the scent transformed and unfurled into a amazing haze of subtle green sappy spices and creamy woods all around me. It was subtle but smelling this scent when it takes to the air was very different from up close.

It smelled really good but in a enigmatic way where I was at a loss how to interpret what I was smelling as it was different from what I'm used to. It must be the oud and hemlock notes in this giving the green spicy notes a air of mystery.

Good fragrance and one that must be smelled when it takes to the air and surrounds you and not judged too quickly by smelling it up close.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

A great woddy aromatic perfect for everyday use. Its very versatil you can wear in any ocasion and any weather (on summer just a couple of sprays will do the trick). Its not linear but it doesn't evolve significantly eather.

It opens very green and fresh, I detect cardamom and juniper the overal felling is woody, dusty and has hints of cut grass I also smell somenthing sparkling and earthy here almost like coke. Then the aromatic accord fades and you are left with the dry woddy heart. Now here its all about ceder, sandalwood and I dare say oud (eventhoug i'm not sure it is realy here) Its very creamy, dry and cedery, like if you where smelling wood that was recently cut, and I must say it is somewhat a bit resinous too. Very whell done!

Now the bottom is the olnly part that I don´t love, but I like. Its very sinthetic and almost cheap, but they menaged to escape the green sinthetic woods accord that you find in other fragrances, and I guess this is mostly because of the sandalwood used here. Its like walking on a fine line withouth falling (writting this I just remembered the french guy who crossed the Twin Towers on a line).

I think Ormonde Jayne managed to create a chic and modern fragrence perfect for the young english gentleman

4 out of 5

woodz71
woodz71

I believe this scent is worn by Bryan Ferry so it`s obviously class

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

really love the smell , on my skin it last about 5 to 8 hrs dependant upon the weather...then the smell starts to appear and reappear..a very refreshing unique classic scent..smells of grass then mixtures of all the other notes, cardamon, juniper berrys etc with each is balanced...my only complaint is sillage is not good you have to put the noses near the skin to smell it after 20 minutes...longetivity for the price should be a full day but it is not..smell wise is beautiful unique..longetivity and sillage is bads..i would propose that the percentage of pure parfum is increased to 25%

Ormonde Man wowed me: No Doubts!

I would define it as a green woody with a consistent body and dark undertones. The initial accord of juniper and cardamom enriched by green bergamot and pink pepper, serves as a terrific introduction to a magistral oud-y/woody combo with a strong coniferous presence. The oud is definitely restrained and not medicinal at all and, together with Black Hemlock, its emphasized in a resin-y, sort of pine-y, aspect. During the initial phases there's a green dusty-spicy woodyness that made me vaguely think about Santal 33's opening (ok, I should probably say the other way around considering their respective release dates but, they still share many common notes). Overall, although showing a consistent structure, I wouldn't classify Ormonde Man as a bold and powerful fragrance. Insead it's kinda understated, smooth, very easy to wear and, most of all, quite versatile.

A terrific modern masculine. Call me names, call me whatever you want but Ormonde Man it's very close being a masterpiece. One of a kind.

Rating: 8.5-9/10

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Starts out with lemon peel, vetiver, a little subtle spice, and some woody cedar and sandalwood-type notes. It’s more or less linear, although the citrus does disappear after a while and some musk appears an hour or so in and stays through the end. Sillage is moderate, but the scent will stick around all day, at least 8 hours.

It’s a discrete and fairly conservative scent that’s just barely on the masculine side of the aisle. It seems like it would be a good choice to wear in public situations where there may be people who don’t appreciate strong perfume. If you like woody vetiver scents, it’s certainly worth trying.

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

Initial review: I LOVE the green, green, freshly cut Kentucky Bluegrass/evergreen (is it the juniper berry followed with black hemlock coming through already?) opening on this! It brings back memories of high school days in Lexington. I keep wanting to smell it time after time. I wish the top lasted longer- it's so refreshing! Clean, pleasant, mild mid note of oude introduces itself soon afterward. Dry down is nice, but fairly non-descript to me. It is anticlimactic after the earlier phases, ebbing to just a skin scent far too early. Smooth, well-blended. Worth getting.

eid-althani
eid-althani

there is no word can describe it its very hard to find perfumes that have a dry woodey smokey elments sadly most of the perfumes are sickly sweet but armond man is not its very diffrent to me its smelles like arabin coffee and its realy realy good Cardamom and oud is well blended and the freshness of coriander gives it a sharp edge

spoombung
spoombung

My first impression was very positive; in the first 20 minutes I smelled lots of well blended dry spices and woods and thought I was in for a treat. Unfortunately, soon after that, the main body of the perfume seemed to thin out rapidly leaving behind a buzzing, high-pitched veneer of sneezy pepper and mentholated notes (somewhat reminiscent of the unlovable austere elements of French Lover and CDG Man 2).

bbnoise
bbnoise

I've always been addicted to men's fragrances. Back to 1995, I remember myself as a teenager in Brazil wearing Jean Paul Gaultier Le male, and feeling so much older than my generation. Nowadays I tend to buy perfumes which for one reason or another call my attention particularly to their unique styles. Ormonde Man was chosen for its rare components and for being a floral for men. I dragged myself to Ormonde Jayne shop in London and bought a bottle of it. Here we go, I am in love with it - smooth, complex and full of character. I tend to use Ormonde man for relaxing events.

fragrancefiend
fragrancefiend

Ormonde Man is a fantastic scent - fresh sweet fir tree kept from bitterness by the soft woods. Lively with spice (bordering on the memory of Old Spice - probably not the real thing). This could make any man smell like an outdoorsman. It's sort of like Christmas tree farm with hot spiced cider (minus the apple). Sillage is medium. It is so clean smelling that women could wear it.