Designers » N-Q » Oriental Floral « Groups

Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women

Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Oscar Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures

Oscar is the first perfume by Oscar de la Renta, created by Jean-Louis Sieuzac in 1977. This is a classic, floral, slightly sharp perfume of aromatic notes of lavender, rosemary and carnation, with sweet, powdery, musky base notes.

The top notes include orange blossom, basil, coriander, galbanum, peach and gardenia.

The heart of this composition encompasses ylang-ylang, jasmine, tuberose, rose, rosemary, cyclamen, lavender and orchid. The base includes opoponax, carnation, patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, lavender and amber. The perfume won FiFi Award in 1978.

The perfume was designed by Serge Mansau. It celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2007. On this occasion a limited, jubilee version in a beautiful bottle was launched.

Coriander Orange Blossom Gardenia Peach Basil Bergamot Cloves

Divine Folie

Oscar Fragrance Reviews

smalltownbeatnik
smalltownbeatnik

I purchased a mini of Oscar recently, mainly for nostalgia's sake. Oscar was my beloved aunt's signature scent when I was a child, and it always epitomized glamour to me. She'd sometimes let me dab a little on as she got ready and I felt so beautiful, so grown up. The bottle is so beautiful and I can't wait to see it sitting on my dresser the way hers used to when I was a child.

To this day, I am partial to many of the notes found in Oscar (musky, resinous, spicy, powdery Orientals) and I wonder if being exposed to this perfume as a child helped shape my preferences now or if I was already predisposed to liking those type of scents. The old nature vs nuture debate.

I still find this perfume beautiful and glamorous. It's a little more "perfumey" than I like for every day use, but I can definitely see myself dabbing this on for special occasions. It still makes me feel beautiful.

And I just hope that one day my daughters or niece will catch a scent in the air that will make them smile and remember me fondly.

Pasaka
Pasaka

Omg! this scent is definitely an 'old-school style'. Not my cup of tea.. cloves and basil are dominant for my nose.There's nothing elegant about it. Totally agree with those who said that it smells like public toilets.

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

Me, my mom and my best friend love this a long time! Never gets old..It's just so unique and beautiful!

senfully
senfully

I'm from a small town, and we'd go into the big city a few times a year. We went to the upscale fancy part of the big city one time, and a little girl (me) got a sample of Oscar. I saved that sample and treasured it, it was the smell of the fancy city with chandeliers and escalators. With my first paycheck from my first job, I got the biggest bottle of this I could afford. I've just gone through it and am about to replace it. One of 4 perfumes I've had to replace in my lifetime.

This will always be the sparkle and shimmer of the fancy big city. It's fancy date night perfume, or just to wear to bed. This was my first love of a perfume!

babykays
babykays

umm.. at first it smells very woody and balsamic.. i don't like it.. in fact, i hate it. for me it doesn't smell beautiful at all. the dry down is, however, powdery and nice. i can smell white floral but that is not what this perfume all about. it is very woody. woody it is. wouldn't wear it but i'll keep this one for me to sniff any time..

red347
red347

I'm not really sure what else I can add to all that's already been said about this wonderful fragrance!

A beautiful, powdery, creamy, floral composition!

Such a wonderful fragrance! This just screams classic, elegance, power, authority... in a quite subtle way. I think of the old saying "walk softly and carry a big stick", she's not loud and obnoxious, filling the room while screaming "look at me". No, in this case you just "feel" her around you. The sillage is good, never cloying, and I think you'd be safe wearing Oscar anywhere at anytime, which is kinda odd for such a sultry, sexy, fragrance.

Anyhow, just my 0.02, hope this helps, and I'm off to enjoy my new favorite!

Update: I'm now 21 hours into wearing this and it just keeps getting better and better. Yes, it has moved pretty close to the skin but I can still catch a waft of it every now and then.

9.99 of 10!

primarycook
primarycook

So many notes in this and I smell mainly sandalwood, vetiver, and a floral I cannot identify. Mainly, it smells musty and dusty, like old forgotten books in a box in the back of the attic. Somehow, on top of this, I get an odd soapy note. Definitely not for me.

sygrid29
sygrid29

i am able to purchased this one in edt refillable 30 ml bottle with evaporation an old stock probably. but i didn't care coz this fragrance is so exquisite, classy and sexy at the same time. not intended for tweens definitely and for persons that wants to smell like fruit salads and their victoria mists for the rest of their lives! it smells strong for 15 minutes but turns soft, spicy and powdery quickly. this turns to a skin scent quickly which really bothers coz i need to spray this lavishly to have the sillage i desire. i waste it as much as im wanting to save this one. but that's probably because my bottle is old.

myownflagg
myownflagg

Received this as a sample. On my skin, all I can think when I smell this is "Public restroom". It smells just like whatever common disinfectant they use to clean bathroom stalls. I had to scrub it off.

Serendipitydew
Serendipitydew

Just purchased the EDP for the first time in 25 years. I was a huge fan of this fragrance when it first came out in the late 70's. It was clean and floral with a slight (very slight) oriental note, back then. It had lovely dry down and was long-lasting.

This new reformulation is a travesty. It's a sickeningly powdery affront that smells more like an aged bottle of Bal A Versailles. I can't begin to convey how disappointed I am. The original version was a beautiful scent that will now have to STAY a mere memory for me...

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

Very clean, crisp and fresh. It also has a powdery and creamy texture. I think it is somewhere between L'Heure Bleue and Madame Rochas. The velvety feel of the former, but the with the spicy, herbal soapiness of the latter.

Esprit d'Oscar, by comparison, has a similar feel, but is much creamier and slightly nutty, and while still clean and powdery, but I don't smell soap and it doesn't feel as botanical. To me, it borders on gourmand.

Both fragrances are wonderful.

twolmichelle
twolmichelle

Rhianeclayton! You need to know that "Whoa Old Lady" is insulting, no matter how you clarify it. The term "old lady" should be banished from this site. Why on earth do you want to be so insulting? It's just a fragrance review! YOUR favorite fragrances 20 years from now could be refered to as an OL, and you won't like it either. It's all relative. Immature people with no manners do things like that. If the first impression of you is insulting, no amount of perfume can ever cover that up. "Old ladies" have class, charm, wisdom and manners, even (shock) sex appeal. This is something you should strive for, not make fun of. Who on earth wants the first half of their life to count for everything, and have the world be embarrased by you for the second? Not Me!! Youth culture is only half of the story. Oscar de la Renta is one fragrance that seems to have escaped the wrath of younger women. It's a classic; a rich, powdery oriental garden. Ultra feminine. Any questions?

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

Tried this again after many years.

Still beautiful and reminiscent of its era, but does not last as long. (but nothing does these days!!)

Soft and gentle, and I got a compliment in half an hour which has not happened in a long while.

On that basis along it will be joining my collection soon.

ginadantas
ginadantas

I bought a bottle 3 days ago. It is delicious, really a classic. But I am still learning how to use it. I thought it would be simple to do it, but sometimes I see it is not. For example: when I sprayed it on my dry skin, I noticed a powdery effect. Next day, I sprayed it after a shower. It was a hot fall day in Brazil, 28 degrees Centigrade. My skin was a little humid, so the effect was different... maybe due to the basil note... or patchulli note... I don´t know. Maybe the difference was due to the soap I used beforehand. Or maybe it is not suitable for hot days on my skin. Well, I am testing and learning the best way to use it. But I am very happy with this purchase.

PORTUGUESE

Comprei um vidro há 3 dias. É delicioso, realmente um clássico. Mas eu ainda estou aprendendo a usá-lo. Eu pensei que isso seria simples, mas às vezes eu vejo que não é. Por exemplo: quando eu o pulverizei na minha pele seca, notei um efeito atalcado. No dia seguinte, eu o pulverizei depois do banho. Foi em um dia de outono quente no Brasil, 28 graus centígrados. Minha pele estava um pouco úmida, de modo que o efeito foi diferente ... talvez devido à nota de manjericão ... ou de patchulli ... eu não sei. Talvez a diferença deveu-se ao sabonete que eu usei antes. Ou talvez não seja adequado para os dias quentes na minha pele. Bem, eu estou testando e aprendendo a melhor maneira de usá-lo. Mas eu estou muito feliz com esta compra.

Sherihan
Sherihan

For those who are fans of Chopard Happy diamonds, who is not on Fragrantica, I can guarantee you this is very similar, for me it is almost identical. I tested the long spray bottle, I'm not sure if it is edt or edp. Strong,very long lasting,I sprayed a small tiny spritz, and wiped it with a tissue,it lasted and lasted even after a shower,till next day.

zzMaja
zzMaja

This was my signature perfume for years, but I would not wear it today. It is very complicated, warm, spicy, vibrant, and can be powerful if worn too heavily. I still do like the scent. It brings back wonderful memories of great nights out on the town, craft fairs, Christmas dinners, and great friends.

mhubbard
mhubbard

This was introduced in the 70's but really hit the market in the mid 80's, the era of "big" perfumes and everyone trying to grab a bit of that decade's pseudo-prosperity. Alas, it reminds me of all the negatives of that time frame. Too much gardenia,and yes, something of cross between Chanel No 5 and L'Air du Temps, but not as pretty or classic as either of those. Not suitable for most work places and not really romantic or seductive. Where would I wear it? Seems dated but not classic......

twoteacakes
twoteacakes

Such a classic and for good reason. I remember this being popular in the eighties, along with big hair and shoulder pads, so was a little put off buying it because of these associations but I'm so glad I did! This is such a feminine, soft, warm, romantic, irresistible scent. It reminds me of a warm version of Arpege, another favourite of mine. I think I could wear this year round, but it does feel quite Christmassy. A little powdery which I love and very well blended. I have the EDT and for the price silage and longevity is excellent. I'm so pleased I added this to my collection. A charmer and a definite keeper.

jengima
jengima

I've want Oscar for a long time. Finally i got a decant of it. I don't know what to say when I spray and sniff the scent. It's very surprising... in a bad way. You Guys never know what a myrrh scent means to an Eastern. To be honest, It give a little horror feeling in me. Sorry I don't mean to disrespect this frag.

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

As someone said "WHOA! Old lady!". To clarify, when I think "old lady" perfumes I think classy, vintage, possibly a little dated but never plain or linear. I got this blind as a swap based on the comparison to Esprit d'Oscar. Firstly, I LOVE Esprit d'Oscar which to me is like a garden clippings after a rainstorm (even though it is powdery it has a green element to it). Oscar is an arid desert. Now I know what "dry" smells like. This is definately a spray in the air and walk through fragrance! I sprayed some on my hand and a little bit of mist got on my arm too. Smelling my hand was challenging given the dryness and strength of this fume, but on my arm...hmmm, not so bad. I had a very (very!)faint leftover of Mariah Carey Honey on my arm, so that may have helped Oscar along. In fact, I think teamed with something juicier or sweeter Oscar could be better.

Meels
Meels

The first time I tried this I kept smelling my wrist to experience the warm, deep, perfume. Everytime I tested Oscar, I so enjoyed it. Finally I owned a bottle of what became a favourite eau de parfum. I tried a eau de toilette recently at one of the barn sales and it smelt like plastic - not a patch on the edp. Despite the edt being very cheap (too cheap?) I didn't purchase that time.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

One of the few perfumes my mother likes!
A funny story, the first time I smelled Oscar was on a nun. It was a bit awkward asking a nun what perfume she was wearing but she said Oscar and said "it was a gift". My mother figured it was a nice scent and if it was OK for a nun it was OK for her...
It is a nice scent, my mother usually liked shrieking florals like White Shoulders or Jessica Mc Clintock. I find this a more refined scent.

eirenelisa
eirenelisa

Lovely. I never liked this one before today, though, and I tried my Oscar mini 3 times before. Is my sense of smell changing..improving..diminishing? Which? Maybe I like how it combines with the Christmas candle I am burning and with the fresh lilies in my vase? I don't know.
I pulled this perfume off the shelf because I felt bored of my own usual taste and wanted to wear something created for another generation. I guess I just wanted to wear a perfume that feels separate from my usual self.
The powder aspect is so fresh, it feels like powder is spilling through the air like when I squeeze the Johnson's powder container too hard. I can't identify many notes here but Oscar is definitely a powdery floral to me.There is such depth to this fragrance and a wonderful aura...at least today there is.

vv1978
vv1978

Wore this in the 80's winter mostly up in the snow Lake Tahoe a very warm inviting perfume, at the time there was not much like it on the market. Feminine long lasting and lingering. At the time it was a slightly more spicy and sophisticated compared to Gloria Vanderbilt's Gloria which was a bit lighter and cleaner.
Both perfumes are slightly powder like when I was younger many scents had this in the 80's I normally stay far away from powder scents for the last 30 years now. Oscar is richer and on the oriental side compared to the white floral of Gloria but still similar.

yvankraft
yvankraft

Huge, generous,exageratedly romantic... But also clean and sophisticated. Like fine white linen clothes. This is Oscar.

Canheart
Canheart

This is my beautiful Mother's signature fragrance. As long as I live, this beautiful scent will be her to me. It is elegant, delicate, strong, and ultimately feminine. It presents gently , not a shout .....more subtle....but very present and remarkable. Timeless beauty, like my Mom.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i've never actually tried this myself, but it was my grandma roseanna's signature scent. whenever i smell it, i instantly think of her. it smelled beautiful on her, a bit powdery and very soft and comforting. fond memories! :)

Although cloves really jump out at me in Oscar, I wouldn't say it's a clove bomb like Tabu or Opium. Oscar is creamy (gardenia, ylang?) yet fresh (basil, coriander?). This really is quite a complex fragrance and I think best enjoyed as a complete product vs trying to dissect the very large note pyramid.
I think this would be a great fragrance to wear to a wedding (as the bride) because it's assertive in it's femininity without being overbearing.

selinacat
selinacat

I'm just going to say from the outset that I'm a florientalist. I find that makes reviews a bit more relative if you know the way my nose "swings".

Its funny that I got Oscar by Oscar de la Renta EDT as a blind buy but was intrigued by the fact that the formula was created in 1977. Modern taste dictates that its outdated, but, an understanding for notes told me to have a bash!

I gave it a spray, and first thing I thought was WHOA! old lady...I don't like people who think like that, but I'm just being honest. However, while I might have just ended it there in the past, I kept sniffing and sniffing, and what started off as a misconception turned into a very intriguing vintage scent! I don't mean vintage as in classic, more that it made me feel vintage. I wear a lot of rockabilly/pin-up stuff, and all of my perfume seems to be too modern for it.

"Oscar" seems to evoke a vintage nostalgia similar to "white shoulders" to my modern nose. Its certainly not unique. I'm fairly confident its a dime a dozen with all those other cheap 70s scents which us youngsters nowadays say smells like old lady. However, since Oscar is a Floriental, it does seem to compliment my skin composition in a way that many of the other scents do not.

So, for me, YAH!!! I finally have a scent that compliments my non-vamp vintage dresses! The lack of complexity (or over complexity when you look at that note list) makes it great for mixing IMO.

Yes its soapy, no its not unique, no it doesn't make the best signature scent, but WHO CARES! I found a scent for my rockabilly wear!! :D

Perfume is what you want it to be. I found a great mixer for my vintage wear. (I'm interested to try against my few tween celebriscents.) And for the price, does the rest of it really matter?!

freddinos
freddinos

I wanted to try Oscar for a while now, and I decided to buy a miniature instead of commiting to a full bottle. I am glad I only got a small amount of this spicy vintage smelling scent, as it would be very difficult for me to wear it in my every day life...
Oscar is a perfume full of cloves, and this particular note almost always is too strong/medicinal for me. It reminds me of Coco; both are mature, spicy but not oriental (by this oxymoron I mean that they bring to mind rich mature ladies dressed in Haute Couture deux pieces instead of Middle Eastern Bazaars and colourful tribal clothes)
Oscar is a very well made perfume by all means, with cloves, smoky sandalwood, amber and non-descript florals blended in a very 70s way, it is just not me. I will treasure my small vial, I might even wear it from time to time, especially during those festive winter nights when I want to go back to those Christmas Eves in the 80s with my extended family gathered around the living room, with a couple of aunts hugging me smelling of heavenly perfumes. Just like Oscar.

Garden.Wren
Garden.Wren

Let me begin by saying that I have both Oscar and Esprit... I really like Esprit and find it very pretty and unique when applied to my skin, maybe it's my chemistry, who knows, either way I fall just short of loving it but still really like... To my senses, the only similarities Oscar and Esprit share is they're both Oscar de la Renta. Oscar is one of the worst fragrances I've had the displeasure of smelling. It smells old and heavy, smothering... like being covered with a wet woolen blanket in 102 degree, shadeless, breezeless weather. I've encountered many perfumes in my lifetime and own more than my medicine cabinet and counter top can hold together, from niche to CVS specials, and this is honestly one of the worst. Even perfumes I don't necessarily like, I can usually appreciate, but not this. My appologies to those who adore this scent, I mean no disrespect for the brand as I've really liked to loved almost everything of Oscar's I've smelled, just not this.

Just a little side note... I have a half full 3.3 ounce bottle if anyone wants to trade. Anything would be better than this. It's missing it's cap but is in otherwise great shape. Just message me if interested.

CaSentBeau
CaSentBeau

This is one of the first perfumes I ever had. There were not many instances when I had the courage to actually wear it but smelling it from the bottle transported me to another world. A world where beautiful women wore elegant dresses and walked effortlessly on high heels in luxurious settings. And there I was in jeans and t-shirt...

I have such deep respect for the house of Oscar de la Renta. What characterizes their fragrances to me is the perfect balance between carefully selected notes. Oscar personifies this in every nerve of its existence. It is luxury at its best.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

The first time I smelled this, I felt as though I found one of my missing fragrances. It is so balanced yet complicated. I sniff it several times and I get a different facet of it each time. Oscar is not a young fragrance, but it's not an old fragrance. It is timeless.

For me it is the perfect balance of warm and cold. It has honey-ish aspects that is probably due to the resins and the sandalwood. At the same time, there is undeniable green freshness about it maybe because of the basil and the flowers. The opening reminded me of Bijan but the green aspects reminded me of Calandre EDT. Oscar keeps on changing---reminding me of several well loved classics in snap shots. It's amazing, really and I am pretty certain I won't get bored with this.

This is one of my mom's signature fragrances but since she has moved on to Coco and Coco Mad, I am now the next in line to wear Oscar. There's instant chemistry between me and this fragrance. It's an instant favorite.

Longevity is impressive for an EDT and it layers well too. I see more bottles of this in the future.

surfergirlpuppy
surfergirlpuppy

Heaven in a bottle. One of the best fragraces ever formulated. Oscar smells like the prettiest flowers in the world and Johnson's baby lotion mixed together. And the bottle is gorgeous as well. Forever, it has a place in my rotations. Great for women of any age.

tzeal
tzeal

my perfume for a job interview. it is a day perfume for me since i have a very strong personality. it gives me a feeling, only good perfumes do that. the feeling i get from this scent is : a sweet french girl. she is sophisticated, not trashy or cute like the girls i see so often. she understands what it means to be a woman and knows that oscar is the essence of that. she isnt afraid to smell vulnerable because she knows that once he is in love he is reliant on her. its seriously beautiful and im deffinatly happy i have this one.

damewolf13
damewolf13

This is a classic fragrance for the ages....all ages.
Any woman with a desire to present herself with class, and sophistication, should give Oscar a whirl, regardless of her physical age. It is a full bodied fragrance with enough spice/incense notes to make it rich and exotic with the sandalwood/cloves/myrrh combination. The floral notes, basil/gardenia/jasmine and lavender give a clean fresh element to this classic scent, and the fruity notes, peach and bergamot, combined with the richness of amber lend a sweetness to the overall effect of feminine class that this fragrance brings to the wearer.
It is no wonder that this perfume has lasted through the decades!

614kristaaa
614kristaaa

This is lovely and very reminiscent of Johnson's Baby Lotion. This baby is STRONG and you (and everyone around you) will be sorry if you overspray; you only need a spritz or two. So apply sparingly and enjoy!

Germany
Germany

I love that one too. I have a small bottle and a bi esprit. Classy. Well done perfume. Husband likes it too.

Soie

In the late 90's I was given a gift package of a regular size Volupte with a mini flacon of Oscar along side it. I wore and enjoyed the Volupte, but it was with the mini Oscar that I fell in love.

Smoothly spiced with cloves; powdery; a bit soapy, and refined, but with just enough sweetness to still be feminine. It has so many qualities: I find the scent of it balmy and comforting, but, at the same time, refreshing, with an air of cleanliness.

Oscar is still one of my all time favorite perfumes. Excellent sillage. I get lots of compliments whenever I wear it.

Jola 72
Jola 72

I swear,this one straight up Mahora on me What a nice surprise I used to love Mahora,very special one.Edt Oscar reminds me very much about this one Same scent of green sweetness on my wrist Very similar to Mahora in my opinion

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Warm, sensual, spicy, yet floral and sophisticated.

What is there to say about Oscar that has not already been said? This fragrance is a classic!

The myrrh smells so lovely on my skin. The only downside to this fragrance is the EDT formulation, which is like water, and the poor lasting power as a result of such.

I have smelt Oscar on women, young and old, and I hope that this is a fragrance that will exist for generations to come so that my daughters and their daughters may too enjoy it and waft in its cloud of brilliance.

G00D_Girl
G00D_Girl

I am not tearably fond of the soapy opening... However I love the dry down.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

I adore this perfume. It is blended to perfection, all the notes compliment each other. I have recieved many compliments when I wear this perfume. Not only do I find it devine but other people too. In fact I find my self wanting to keep this perfume a secret because I don't want anyone wearing this perfume. How sad is that! This perfume is a classic and truly adorable.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

I just tested this today after reading the reviews. Even though that according to the notes and the reviews I really expacted I would like this scent... it turns out that I don't :( It has this pungent, sharp note that reminds me of what I think is civet, but it is not listed. Does anyone know what the note in this perfume is that is causing this scent to smell ''dirty'' on me? Is there anyone else who has experienced the same?
I think this is the ''dirty'' note people often refer to as catpee or ashtray... I don't know, maybe dried catpee IN an ashtrey? LOL, it just stinks and I really can't stand it. Can it be the carnation causing this? I had the same thing with ''Van Cleef & Arpels - Gem'', which carries civet, but not carnation. ''Gem' however carries clove, and carnation has a clove-like undertone. Can somebody please help me and tell me what note gives away this smell? And it is not necessarily bodychemistry, since I can also detect the same dirty note when I spray it on paper or clothes. :(

evesoho
evesoho

A child in the 80s, I stole this off of my mother's vanity to try it on nearly every week - and I got in trouble all the time! "Don't touch mommy's perfume!" I couldn't help it, I was in love with it back then and I still am!

It was in a thin black bottle with a black cap like a puzzle to me!

She wore this every Sunday to church, along with her pillbox hats (with little veils!) and gloves (in spring and summer). I cuddled up to her every Sunday afternoon.

I can't wait to get a (vintage) bottle of my own some day.

stormyla
stormyla

Someone gave me a very large bottle of the Oscar body lotion for Christmas back in 1980. Thus begun a love affair that has never waned since. It's funny back then men almost never wore women's fragrances but I used to catch my then boyfriend using my lotion. When I called him on it, he said that he simply couldn't help himself.

Well, he is no longer in my life, but Oscar still is. Oscar has consistently been one of my 6 "core" fragrances that I am never without.

Aside from the beauty of the scent, there is my love affair with the bottles, all of them. Each bottle design reminds me of the diaphanous ruffled confections of tulle, chiffon and silk taffeta that float about the wearers of Mr. De la Renta's couture creations. Each bottle design, like each garment has a great sense of motion and grace about it.

As his clothing designs are instantly recognizable so is Oscar's scent. Somehow the fragrance seems in perfect harmony almost an extension of the gorgeous outfits he has created. Oscar, both the current and the vintage formulations are daytime fragrances for me. Their lovely soft floral notes seem to reflect the sunlight in which they grow. Just as Oscar's lovely pastel colored clothing can brighten up a wet spring day so does his lovely fragrance.

The vintage version reminds me of the heavenly smells of a lush post summer's rain garden. The newer scent brings to mind those lovely wafts that greet you as you walk past someone's garden on a still warm spring afternoon.

This is a very romantic but not carnal fragrance. If Magie Noir brings out the dark enchantress in us, Oscar appeals to our graceful lady like sensibilities. I envision Carole Lombard or Daisy Buchanan wearing this scent.

I'm very grateful to have the reformulated version as it makes this potion suitable for office wear. However I always stock up on the vintage elixir as it is my favorite for daytime spring and summer social activities. This is one vintage fragrance that is always in a reasonably priced abundance on Ebay.

Both versions have excellent longevity. The reformulated version lasts at least 8 hours on me, while the original can stay over night. The sillage on the newer version is 5' or so, while the original fills an entire room with both arrival and departure trails.

Thank you Mr. de la Renta for making the world more beautiful one woman at a time for over 50 years. I feel so lucky to have been accessorized by you!!

julieanneh
julieanneh

Wow is the right word. It is a powerfully strong scent. Too strong for me and I like a perfume to waft around me. Part of me likes it and another part of me dislikes it. I would not buy this one. I can see how others like it and it is a classic.

angelleew
angelleew

Wow. I just have to say that this is NOT a daytime-hot-weather perfume. I purchased this is in the summer,and tried it then-- a gardenia and iris powerhouse. Today, an oddly warm 60 degree day in January in Western NY, and I am an incense bomb-- and the scent is still evolving. I have had it on for about 2hrs now, and it is just as strong as if I had freshly sprayed it. Now, 2hrs in, the peach is starting to bloom-- it's the only way to describe the scent. It is just this occasional whiff of gentle peach! The funny thing, I can smell peach on the right arm, and I think it's wafting up from the cleavage, but I am totally getting the incense and iris on the left wrist. It is so weird and so intriguing. I have never had a scent develop like this. Bravo, Oscar! There is also the rose starting to come out. This is very reminiscent of Poison's dry-down for me. Awesome! I was expecting this to be a summer spring scent because of the gardenia, but the spices have really given it a warm, sexy, oriental feel that would do better on summer/spring nights, or during the cooler seasons. I'll have to try this again when January is more like January-- and snowing. I am totally loving this scent right now, and may try it with a peach body lotion and see [smell] what happens!

PrinceRobbie
PrinceRobbie

Such a warm perfume! Today was a cold, rainy/snow day and to keep getting sniffs of this off myself were magical. It's not anything fantastic but it's a very mature scent for me. I usually like things more light and fruity but this is wonderful.
I do wish it was a bit stronger. But since it is a profound smell, it could be a blessing that it's NOT strong. People loved how it smelled on me as I passed them! (The best thing is receiving compliments) I would have to say my favorite out of all of the Renta collection.

rottannie
rottannie

I have been searching for a scent that lasts, but isn't "too much" in any one olfactory direction. THIS IS IT! Fresh,floral,woody, powdery in perfect balance. Great longevity without overpowering heaviness. Strong, yet gentle. Very highly recommend.

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

A beautiful and sophisticated scent. Soft and appealing, with notes of myrrh, jasmine, and iris mixing together and blending into a finale of soap and tender musk. Oscar is the definition of femininity, not for the wild and rebellious youth, not for the scheming Jezebel, and not for the wall flower who has no voice or direction....rather, this is the scent of the woman who is confident and mature, she has grown from her life experiences and emerged stronger, she is comfortable in her own skin. The independent yet gentle woman. I associate this fragrance with women in my life whom I have admired and now I'm wearing it. A timeless classic. I'm so glad I discovered this elegant beauty!

Perfumefreak
Perfumefreak

Oscar has an outstanding reputation.
I just got to know it a little better and fell in love.
This is a perfume my mom could use but as it turns out, it's me who adores it most.
Strong start with myrrh and after a while it mellows down to a beautiful bouquet of flowers with herbs. My new favorite for the winter and Christmas.
An all time classic and ever so popular; It has an reminiscence to Chanel no5.
Oscar is still sold in stores as in 100ml, 50ml, 30ml bottles or in gift packages even it is 35years old trademark.
There's a lot of new perfumes in line for much higher price in 30ml bottles that are re-makes of the old classics, to get younger people to buy perfumes, on higher prices but with a lack of real sillage.
Still, i prefer the real classics.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

This is a lovely soft herbal and floral. It is memory scent for me. My grandmother had this when I was small. She always had a big bottle and dusting powder. I loved her smell but I was too scared to put it on because I was afraid she might catch me. It is certainly a skin scent. A warm soft smell.

Happy Perfuming! ♥

ION
ION

Again, I never had the chance to try the vintage one, so this review is for the contemporary version.
"Oscar", is a mother's perfume.
Warm, comforting, powdery, sweet, familiar.
If a woman smells like "Oscar" I can effortesly trust her; there is a very solid hint of honesty in the impression it leaves behind.
The opening is ok but wait until it acquires this lovely chewing/bubble gum aspect which doesn't lack sophistication. It is the moment my last hesitations, decline.
Absolutely lovely and very French-like.
Now, I want to see a body-builder wearing this. Something tells me that I'll be surprised by the contrasting effect! :-)

Berlynn
Berlynn

mmm this was another power perfume that was in my mum's arsenal in the early 90's. warm and soothing, yet bold and expressive. I still love the smell of this one, in the bottle and on her. However it smells extremely weird on me and I can't wear it, sadly.

cinnamonswirl
cinnamonswirl

A spicy vintage oriental, this starts with strong woods and resins and dries down to a soft pipe tobacco scent. I like this most after about a hour, when it has mellowed.
Perfect on either a man or a woman, this elegantly androgynous perfume makes me think of Katherine Hepburn wearing a slim pantsuit and a smile.

Oscar is like a lighter version of Balahe! Love them both!

Hija
Hija

I just received my "Oscar" today - was very excited, as I used to love this perfume - but how sad - it had nothing to do with the perfume I used to love! It surely has been reformulated into a much weaker, "rounder" vanilla-type scent! It has lost its uniqueness...
the current "Oscar" isn´t BAD, but not outstanding anymore. I´m really sad.. give me back the "good old times"!

nopasho
nopasho

WARNING. LONG REVIEW AHEAD. DETAILS ABOUT FEEL AND NOTES. SO: IN A HURRY OR FAN OF ONE LINER REVIEWS? SKIP THIS. THANK YOU.

Oscar de la Renta loves, adores and worships women. The proof is this gorgeous über feminine fragrance. Which no doubt is responsible for countless courtships, affairs, friends-with-benefits-situations, passionate nights and days in the bedroom, trysts on the living room floor, hot blooded sessions on the kitchen table, and for marriages and many love children.

It is a ‘Fragrance Fatale’ with the same inevitable drawing in power as a Femme Fatale. It radiates at the same time the Earth Goddess (flowers, amber) in every woman worth her salt, the zest for life (coriander, clove…) the feminine mystique that every sexy woman exudes to men aka her almost sacred sexual power with which she can put a spell on most men (myrrh, sandalwood, opoponax, the meaty ‘carnal’ tuberose, the irresistible ylang ylang, the indolic ‘dirty’ jasmine, the musk, the orange blossom that unleashes the palpable passion in most men…

Oscar takes care of that with this fragrance that stood the test of time. Created in 1978!. ‘Oscar for Women’ is an ode to the beauty, sensuality, complexity, mystery of the female attraction towards men of every persuasion. If ‘Woman’ equals ‘Beauty, attraction and sensuality’, then ‘Oscar for Women equals ‘Woman’. And this almost-classic stood the test of time. Congratulations, ‘Oscar’ with your 35th birthday. And still going strong, seducing women all over the world. Quite the Casanova? Oscar!

Some essential info first: I’m taking about an edp version from around 2007.

To be upfront: this is a fragrance for Women, not for girls, not for wallflowers, girls with a purity ring on their finger and virgins (which is the same, I guess). I refer them to the innocent, sugary lollipop cotton candy Britney’s and the Gaga’s and the Katy Perry’s and the zillion other fruity florals. If you want your BF to develop a perversion to be aroused by vanilla or berries, use this. If he want your br to be passionate towards a women of flesh, sensuality and blood, use Oscar. By the way: what man gets turned on and becomes passionate in a sensual way, falls in lust with a vanilla lollipop and an orchard? Men with strange sexual fetishes, if you ask me. So if you try to seduce him with ‘Fantasy’ or a Jesscia Simpson ‘Dessert Treat’, don’t be surprised that later on he turns into an obese coach potato going through gallons of vanilla ice cream and milkshakes, addicted more to your sugary desserts than your body and female charms. Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.

No,then let me smell ‘Oscar’ on a woman instead of some syntethic vanillin and sugar. Every time I smell a Britney on a girl, I know she has no clue what erotic or real bodily attraction and the beauty of making passionate love, means. But Oscar unleashes the sexsal beast with two backs in both you and your male lover. Result: firewroks in the bedroom and a broad smile with twinklinjg eyes when you leve the bedroom. When you leve a bedroom whre you lay on the bed perfumed with ‘Fantasy’, it will stay that way: a mere ‘Fantasy’. ‘Oscar’ induces the stamina of legands, the sexual creativity of ‘1001 night’ and the joy of life that will keep you young. Without plastic churgery.

Oscar-the-fragarnce didn’t need any cosmetic surgery. In the perfume world ‘cosmetic surgery’ is: the reformulation that doesn’t rejuvenate or make stronger a fragrance but kills all personality in it. Oscar de la Renta hasn’t resorted in desperation to the olfactory equivalent of fake boobs or collagen injection. He hasn’t desperately tried to camouflage a once ravishing beauty, with all kind of artificial tricks and cheaper, mostly artificial fragrance notes.

True classic beauty is timeless and doesn’t need all that fragrance-cosmetic juju. Perfume houses, for God’s and perfumery craftsmanship sake: let the classics be what they are: gorgeous classics! Don’t reformulate your winners lie ‘Opium’, ‘Addict’… It is like a woman aging beautifully in a natural way. She doesn’t need cosmetic surgery to destroy totally her ageing beautifully in a natural way and make her look like an Made-in-China excuse for an alien, a robot, a plastic doll, but badly remade.

Back to or beloved ‘Oscar for Women’, one of those near-classics that has for the time being escaped ‘reformulation’. Maybe because it is a ‘near classic’. Oscar is a dapper little fellow who still works his charm with the ladies and is still going strong. Stamina, charm and class, that ‘Oscar’! A beauty that has not yet reached iconic status, but will. If the perfume houses don’t mess it up with a money grubbing reformulation, that is. The ‘Oscar’ still produced or found on line nowadays is still an ace. A real ladies man of a fragrance. A Cary Grant, a George Clooney… a suave, intelligent, witty gentlemen with a taste in art.

Not a vulgar mercenary like Brad Pitt who is only in the perfume game for the money and who only makes an ad for Chanel 5 for the dollars. He destroys his own image and –what is much worse- kicks Chanel 5 ,in the stomach with his stupid and stupidly delivered add. Hell, I bet Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame could have done a much more convincing job. ‘Oscar’ is a soft seducer who whispers honest compliments in your ear, builds up your self-confidence and above all, makes you smell divine! ‘Oscar’ the fragrance for women is a natural beauty. Without fragrance steroids, botox and facelifts.

‘Oscar’: What is your secret? ‘Gorgeous Oscar’ (sorry George C.)was born and created in 1977 and it is a complex breathtaking beauty. An olfactory bonanza of no less than 25 (!!!) different fragrance notes all put seamlessly together in a balanced way with the result: olfactory bliss, opulence, magic, fireworks and pure adulterated and unashamedly impressive and full joy. You know not only that whiff of top notes that flies away in the wind after 15 minutes or that is sold like a drug pusher by a B-celeb, but a fragrance that gets its glory out of its own existence. Out of its smell. Not the packaging, the celeb or the shape of the glass container, the bottle. Nothing more, nothing less.

And it is no wonder that this fragrance is so impressively good. The nose, the maker is Jean-Louis Sieuzac. He had an impressive pedigree: Dior’s ‘Dune’ and ‘Fahrenheit’, Hermès’ ‘Bel Ami’… and to top it off: YSL’s unbeatable ‘Opium’ of which I’ll never be able to write a review. It is too intricate, too genius, to out of this word; ‘Oscar’ is one level beyond it which means it it still in the stratosphere while the celeb scents and modern nothings like Chanel’s ‘Noir’ and ‘Bleu’ are in the grave. You know ‘Oscar for Woman ‘exudes the more classic smoldering and sultry feminine sensuality of ‘Organza’, ‘Poème, ‘Chanel's Coco’, ‘Opium’, ‘Obsession’, ‘Hypnotic Poison’… ‘Oscar for Women’ is at the same time a Cupid and a heartbreaker. Ladies, in your hands this is a surefire way to bewitch men. Please have mercy with us, when you use this. Because we become silly putty in you beautiful handcwhen you dab it on.

Without further ado let’s look at the notes. For the newbies here: it is the game of all the different notes playing together on the three different levels of the fragrance pyramid: top (first impression, middle: the body, base: the foundation and dry down) that define a fragrance. Not the pic or name of a celebrity on a bottle.

Top: Orange Blossom, Gardenia, Peach, Coriander (!), Basil (!), Cloves, Bergamot
Middle: Tuberose, Lavender, Orchid, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Rose, Lily, Rosemary
Base: Sandalwood, Opoponax (!), Amber, Lavender, Patchouli, Coconut (!), Cloves, Vetiver, Myrrh(!), Musk.

The base defines the quality of the fragrance. The sillage, longevity, the staying power of middle and top notes that are anchored at a sturdy base (or not) and the dry down, that last long and eventually for most people is the defining factor in liking a fragrance or not. I have described a lot of impressive bases and this is again a base where you heap trash notes on, it will still be a quality fragrance. Come on, look at that ten notes strong base. A base to cream your jeans from sheer pleasure or pray to the heavens in praise of this masterpiece of a base. Wowie!! We have wood (sandalwood that is sweet, opoponax that is dry resin-y). We have the a power duo like minded musk and patchouli, we a floral note from the middle that comes back her to make sure that the fragrant non meaty lavender can stand up against the Sirens of Meaty middle flowers, we have a spice to give depth: cloves. The not one but two strokes of original genius of Sieuzac in the base, the sign of a true perfume genius. First the smoky, dark noir and myrrh to play against the meaty-über floral middle: myrrh. And then to make sure that the total of these war of the flowers and woods and spices is rounded we have coconut. Together with the amber it makes of this remarkable creation of 25 rowdy notes a well old fragrance machine. So: the base is godly.

Then begins the interaction with middle and top. First the middle. You can see for yourself: a potential Armageddon of Glowers that on this one can turn this fragrance into a cloying hot house full of flowers seeking to seduce you; Well not you, but the bees to pollinate the flowers. I means this is flowery seduction at its strongest. It is a middle with the power of two Viagra’s on the empty stomach of a for 20 year old stud who didn’t make love for a week. So powerful, barely possible to reign in. Ready to overwhelm you and ravish you and make you squeal, squirm and scream in an overload of sensatory pre orgasmic shivers. Here they come: the flowers of power-seduction. The carnal Tuberose, the sweet Orchid, the sultry ylang ylang, the sensual rose, the sultry Lily, the mighty jasmine. Imagine five love hungry Mae West’s in her prime before you as a 20 year old good looking guy. So there must energetic counter forces to avoid the Mae West flowers from eating you alive. So we have the fragrant and fairly dry lavender and the dry,, spicy, green rosemary. But even with that trio: the middle belongs to the flowers. Male base, female middle. So the top will have to play marriage guide bring this overbearing female middle a notch down.

So how does Sieuzac do that? A burst of freshness to cool the estrogen power of the middle flowers a bit down: bergamot and orange blossom. On the other side a powerful insurgent army of spices takes some wind out of the potential suffocating botanical estrogen deadly smothering power. Cloves, basil and coriander. But to make a bridge between this opposite forces of spices/freshness in the top, the myrrh, opoponax, lavender and vetiver in the base that attack the flower estrogen from above and beyond, he uses peach in the top. And to round things off and make sure that ‘Oscar’ is still a predominantly white flower fragrance, not some sort of hybrid (we are still in 1978 where the rules where more strict and gender and genre-bending fragrances like ‘Alien’ and ‘Womanity’ were faraway in the future), as another stroke of genius, he puts one of the creamiest flowers in the top: gardenia. To make sure that the flowers come out strongest. But with hooks and contrasts that makes ‘Oscar’ such a great white flower fragrance. Much of these trick creamy flowers-myrrh, opoponax-spices-flower, amber-myrrh-tuberose… are later used in Lutens fragrances.

The result, ladies and gents, and ‘old lady fume’ that smells fantastic, has very long staying power, gives joy and pleasure and is not afraid to be unabashedly ‘feminine’, as most people expect ‘feminine’, sensual fragrances to be. There is no dirty skanky note yet. That comes later with’ Boudoir’, ‘Carnal Flower’… But this is just great. Made in 1977 and still going strong.

Looking for a great white flower that is a bit dryer that the French masterpieces like ‘Organza’, Poème’, ‘Amarige’… This is it. Oscar’s best. Test it and you’ll fall for it. Looking for a great man, ladies? Try Oscar. He won’t disappoint you. And he will stay faithful to you. Although, expect a lot of complements, come on’s and invitations to go eat or drink something, when you wear this ‘Elixir d’amour’. Oscar: every time I smell your masterpiece on the skin of a woman, I realize that heaven later doesn’t exist, but that heaven is: a woman who smells like ‘Oscar’…

mi-jo.sayegh
mi-jo.sayegh

I have a vintage perfume version and the modern EDT. I have to admit I find them very similar despite what every one else says. The spices in the new version seem to be harsher (the coriander stands out a lot on me) and stronger, but the dry down on both is almost identical. Sweet, powdery woodsy. I think Oscar is the sort of perfume that I could imagine any woman wearing, any age, any style, any walk of life. It is a safe fragrance that has just enough quirks in it to make it stand out from other classics.
It`s unique in that it is mix of harsh notes and soft, sweet ones. I am going to go against the grain here and say that the new EDT is worth it and fairly faithful reformulation (the price is usually good also) This has to be one of my favourite perfumes of all time.

vaiduakhu
vaiduakhu

The moment I open the cap, I immediately recognize the vibe of Guerlain L'Heure Bleue in it: a feeling of comfort, almondy heliotrope mixed with little herbs & spices. But while LHB has an aura of aloofness, this one is quite warm, inviting and much more sweet. I must agree that a big amount of vanilla has been added to current formulation, an amount equal to the dose in Annick Goutal Songes. I don't find it soapy nor neithery. Actually it's very oriental in the sense of warmth & sweetness. Projection of current is not so much (within 20cm) but longevity is rather good (6 hours+).

Soie

I was very suprised the first time I show all those far flung notes for Oscar, especially myrrh, lavendar and rosemary as there is nothing bitter or herbal about this fragrance. It does have some freshness / sharpness to it, but overall it is a rounded opulent fragrance.

There is no vanilla listed but it seems vanillic to me: vanilla with rich floral notes and a hint of cloves. The spice in this gives it lift it doesn't not take it over the way some spice notes do.

krmarich

I just obtained a vintage splash of Oscar from 1977 for under $20 USDs! Yes, I snatched this beauty up without hesitating.

This is a loving tribute to L'Heuere Bleue! I never picked up on the obvious connection before. The "floriental" has been around for most of the 20th century. Americans finally embraced it in 1977. It was totally updated to fit the late 1970 couture. The somber feeling was replaced with luxurious elegance. The results are stunning.

Lush resins and sandalwood propel the tropical florals into a paradisical realm of bliss. Tuberose, jasmine, gardenia and orchids dress this baby up to the nines! The notes play like autumn sunlight reflecting on a lake with golden leaves falling.

Its indescribable, really and genius in todays "candy pop" wasteland.

It is a museum piece today, as this formula has long since disappeared. The shape of the bottle is iconic. I am sure there are plenty of bottles still around. If you still have one, I am sure you know this is a very formal affair and consider yourself priveledged.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Oh yes, I want this full bodied little gem. Oscar is VERY easy to love.

Powdery, balmy, soapy and classic, without being "mature". Timeless is the word!

It`s like a softer version of LouLou Cacharel.

I love the amber in this, it`s very comforting, glowing and warm...

The spices are just right too, not to little, not to much. Oscar is not to "floral" either, I hate sharp flowery scents. Here the floral aspect is done just right, mixed with warm musky notes...

Fantastic.

cmoe4649
cmoe4649

Thr original Oscar is a very classic fragrance that I love and wear frequently. You can still find it in some places but,they have announced a new fragrance named Esprit d'Oscar. Esprit d'Oscar is the updated and modern reinterpretation of the debut fragrance Oscar from 1977.
Retaining the original oriental - floral character, the new composition begins with citrus notes of Sicilian lemon, bergamot and citron, leading to the floral bouquet heart of Egyptian jasmine, orange blossom and tuberose. The base is oriental, creamy, smooth and very long-lasting with musk, heliotrope, tonka and vetiver.

Migalex
Migalex

I absolutely adore this one. Smelling it makes me happy. It is smashing. Despite what some people say, my opinion is that this is one of the now older perfumes which are nowadays most faithful to the original. I do notice some difference from what I can remember was the original, but it is basically the same scent. And also despite what some people say, It is still basically the scent of tuberose. It is actually the perfume I know which most smells of tuberose. This scent is all about tuberose. But the perfume is quite complex, and even the coconut you can smell very noticeably, not sickening and without making you think of sun lotion. Here the coconut smells beautiful, like in Ysatis. A sharp dry ede of myrrh/carnation imparts the scent a contrasting hashness similar to the effect of pink pepper as used in more recent fragrances, and gives it a sophisticated and classy touch. That is the main difference I can spot in relation to the original. I remember the originla smoother, less myrrh harsh. Also, sillage was huge.The perfume is powdery, airy, sweet, but not overwhelmingly. It smells sweeter from a distance than from close on. It is not a sexy perfume, feels quite innocent to me, and it is absolutely marvellous. Excellent airy sillage, actually massive at the begining, and excellent staying power. This is a perfume in classical style. Another good think is that you can puchase it these days for a reasonable price, and it is not advertised (I think) nor is it sold in most perfume shops these days. Despite all that, it is still to me one of the best perfumes ever made. And the fact that, despite all that, lots of people still appreciate it, makes it seem to me one of the few genuinely time surviving scents, without much change, without advertising and without overwheming brand exposure and trendiness. This is well worth the three fifi awards it got. As I said, I absolutely adore it.

Maybe the formula has changed (wouldn't be surprised), but I couldn't find anything to admire about Oscar. It started out like a white floral, but after wearing Carolina Herrera recently, I found it too soft and not realistic enough. Then came a note that was very jarring for me. I was certain it was civet, but I don't see civet in the notes here, so I don't know what it could be, but it wasn't good. Then it all settled into a softly powdered floral. Oscar just seems mediocre in every way. Anything I might like about it has been done better at some point by somebody else.

B.Blackheart
B.Blackheart

I am going down memory lane this morning, and Oscar is probably the most outstanding fragrance of my life. When this hit our suburb, every mother of any social standing whatsoever bathed in it. Everywhere we went the air was full of it. It was as if there were no other fragrances. And I loved it. It was the most rich, seductive, heavenly scent in the world, mouthwatering and golden. I'd had no idea until then how potent fragrance could be. I would love it now, but the memories of my mother are too strong, and overshadow the pleasure of wearing it.

kitten_steele
kitten_steele

Does anyone have the pure perfume of Oscar and how is it different from the EDT? I couldn't find an EDP version of Oscar on ODLR websight. Do they still sell the EDP version?

NeoJezebel
NeoJezebel

I've used this perfume for over 10 years now and it has become my signature scent whatever the season - if it works, why change it? It warms beautifully on my skin leaving a subtle flowery yet spicy smell and I always get compliments when I wear it. It's definitely an old school scent, but NOT an old lady one.

joliecat
joliecat

Oscar is extremely strong and LASTS FOREVER on skin, but unfortunately, it doesn't smell good on me. The drydown is nice, floral, musky, not too sweet, but not at all spicy enough for me. It's definitely a very mature scent.

I think I'll save this one and try it again in different weather. I'll try layering a tiny touch of Oscar under other perfumes to give them more lasting power,too.

Use Oscar with caution, as a very tiny bit goes a long, long way. I LOVE the strength and longevity ! I wish all perfumes were made to last like this one does.

kaitlin.schnides
kaitlin.schnides

My grandmother gave this to me for my 15th birthday, do NOT like it. The scent actually makes me feel sick and light headed. Its kinda like something my grandmothers would wear

Wombat
Wombat

I love the real thing, and am amazed that Dollar Tree has a dupe called O'Scent that smells just like the real thing but way less strong! I stumbled on it by accident today and plan to go back for more! Too soon to know staying power but right now I smell divine!

cecfor
cecfor

My mothers frag many years ago. It was wonderful, soft, warm and deep on her. I tried it and got an instant throbbing headache, even though I was outside. Washed it away about 5 times, and it was still there. Way too strong for my skin. I was so sad. I wanted to smell like that too. Then I tried Esprit d' Oscar (thanks to reviews here). No headache and the smell of Esprit d' Oscar is on me what I remember Oscar was on my mother.

ailishlu
ailishlu

I owned this perfume many years ago and absolutely adored it. I was so keen to find a bottle of it again. You can imagine how thrilled I was to find it in a local perfume store. However when I asked the sales assistant if I could try it, I was completely disappointed. This was NOT the Oscar I remember. It was a completely different perfume and not at all pleasant on my skin. When I asked her if it had been reformulated she said no, that it was the original. I can`t quite believe it. The packageing is the same but it´s a different scent. I left the store that day empty handed. Can anyone confirm that it has been reformulated? Thanks a bunch.

Eos
Eos

Review of vintage EDP (mid 1980's) formulation:

Unfortunately with the exception of a clearly identifiable basil note,my bottle has lost its top notes due to age.

Several minutes after application the most discernible note is tuberose and for about 10 minutes there is also a pronounced grape/"Children's Dymatap" note which though bizarre, is not wholly unpleasant. The tuberose fades into ylang ylang, lavender, opoponax and clove. After its completely dried down, the scent is very well blended, powdery and warm.

Sillage: 5 feet if lightly sprayed. If applied liberally across the room.
Longevity: 8 hours
By today's standards its probably considered a little "old fashioned" but is still completely wearable. Most suitable for evening wear IMO.

Bebette
Bebette

I recently acquired a 3 oz 90 ml vintage "Oscar" and I am in loveeeee... or perhaps lust, because every time I wear it I pick up completely different notes and each time I get more and more excited to put it on. My first application was at work and our AC was broken so it was extra hot inside. I got all of the fresh spicy notes, basil and herbs, and got several compliments on it that night (even from some "not-so-nice" women) about it being very clean. My next use was a couple of days later, and it's hard to explain... I felt like I smelt like... like a spanish woman? (Granted I am half Colombian but that's not what I mean lol!) I think perhaps it was the amber, cloves, and something that just made me feel absolutely warm, confident, and latina. That sounds weird, I KNOW! Maybe it's triggering some memory subconsciously. Now, for the third time I am trying it again fresh out of the shower. Upon first sniff, I instantly picked up the woods, orange blossom, and what I believe to be the coriander, it then settled into myrrh, cloves, and very soft white florals, then I keep getting a hint of something very sweet which I think to be the coconut!

This bottle is just so full of surprises I adore it and although I haven't smelled the reformulation to compare, I don't recommend it for the faint of heart or teens, but for most definitely the confident, bold women of 25+. Sillage is moderate, and it is somewhat personal, but it's just enough for people to notice. As for lasting power, I am uncertain as I've used it during evenings, but I could smell it still after 4 hours at work.

Endymion
Endymion

I think Oscar has one of the most beautiful perfume bottles ever released! :)

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

If "Fidji" & "Moschino Moschino" had a love child, my nose thinks it would smell like Oscar. It's a wonderful blend of the two and I wear it when I am not in the mood for either, but yet want something like it.
This doesn't mean that it's not a beauty in its own right! Far from it. It has character without being too heavy and it's playful and floral without being too sweet. They had a child & named it Oscar. I love it too. : )

chanchita
chanchita

I got married wearing this perfume. 7 years later it still envokes really good memories and I love it more now than I did then (as I do my husband!)! I tend to wear it only when I'm on special dates or nights out with my husband or if I really miss him when we are apart.

DarkClarissa
DarkClarissa

A beautifully, well crafted, complex perfume. Every time I wear this it reminds me of what a well done perfume should smell like. This is floral and it is sweet, but not in the candy-type genre. The herbs and spices in this stop it being cloying and make it something special.

Initially I get the basil, coriander, peach and gardenia quite strongly, but these almost immediately start to blend and morph into a beautiful heady expensive soap smell - once again, do not think soap as in the "Clean" range, rather think of a beautiful hand-milled exclusive soap that you would be scared to use and keep it just to smell because it is so precious!

I don't get the lavender, but I do get warm wafts of ylang-yland and jasmin mixed with rosemary and sandalwood. The patchouli is fabulous in this, really gentle and it just rounds off the base and isn't sickly.

Think of an evening in the south of France, a woman in a white satin evening dress, skimming her curves, standing on a balcony overlooking the Cote d'Azur, heavy with summer blooms and the smell of the recently set sun. This is what OSCAR smells like. Sexy, womanly, heady, intoxicating. In a word: beautiful.

Lushylori
Lushylori

This is a nice Perfume but a bit strong and powdery.This should only be worn at night IMO.I've had a big bottle of this forever and its only half gone which indicates to me that I must not like it very much because I normally go through perfume that I like with ease :)This is a very classy scent though and considering that I feel more casual most of the time,thats probably why I don't use this scent a whole lot but this is perfect for a sofisticated woman that really wants to feel like a woman..Most of the time I just want to smell sweet and girly lol
I'm sure this is a real winner to a lot of women in the world though.You only have to use a little bit because if you over do it,you may bring on a headache.You'll get a lot of bang for your buck because this scent stays and stays and stays :)

I.I
I.I

It's one of my most loved perfumes, I never get enough of it, unlike other perfumes I own and I also like. I can't believe this masterpiece is so so old and still so contemporary!
It is quite strong but a lot lighter than many flowery scents I know of. For those who hate tuberose, it is bearly discernible, on me at least. The perfume is very well blended in a way that it is difficult to pick out most of its ingedients. Myrrh is easy to distinguish though, like most of the wood notes, I pick also lavender, basil and maybe a carnation note (is there one among the ingedients?). I agree that it resembles L' Air du Temps but only in its carachter.
I really can't imagine how one could go wrong with such a perfume...it's not for very young girls though, it's a rather more mature scent. I ADORE IT!

xstitchalanna
xstitchalanna

EDT review: This is a very classy oriental fragrance. Spray it lightly and it is elegant, too heavy and you might run the risk of smelling old lady. I really like this perfume (oriental fan here) I can smell the gardenia and tuberose but it isn't overwhelmingly sweet. It is just right. I can also smell the amber sandalwood blend and i think that makes it softer. At the end I can smell a vanilla like smell. It lasts 4-6 hours and I like it best for fall and winter wear but if applied lightly you could wear it in the spring and summer as an evening fragrance.

lemonfreshjoy
lemonfreshjoy

I could smell gardenia right away, so I gave myself a spritz on the wrists. After a bit, it started to veer from white floral to spicy floral. Still nice. Then after that it seemed spicy yet a little powdery. After an hour I got bored by the scent and had a slight headache. While I liked Oscar at first sniff, it is not something I would buy for myself.

Scribblegenie
Scribblegenie

I have worn this since it first came out. I love it, I adore it. I receive so many compliments when I wear it. Warm, powdery, vanilla, spice, floral. Just wonderful.

elegant, sweet and lovely. beautiful white flowers to my nose that lasts for hours. dries down to a soapy floral on me. i love it. just a touch is needed and you will smell gorgeous all day or evening.

reddoor2000
reddoor2000

Applied sparingly,this fragrance is awesome,too much could leave u smelling like the little old lady:-)

It resonates class and maturity,so would not apeal to everybody.The fact that it stood the test of time says it all........

Tovah
Tovah

To me Oscar is purely sexy, in an elegant, mysterious way. It's lingerie that's seductive, not sleazy. It's candles and wine, and moonlight on a warm summer night. This one turns the heads of men of all ages!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I tried this again today, after testing a bad bottle last month, and I had a much nicer experience. To me, it smells like a heavy white floral with the strange, almost 'beany' tobacco/leather note from Cabochard. Unfortunately I think the budget must be smaller nowadays, as the drydown had a touch of warm plastic to it. Imaginative and groundbreaking at the time, and could be great again with a little tweaking and a bit more cash spent on the formula. (As is true for most popular scents of the 70's-80's who have suffered in this manner).

girlboheme
girlboheme

My favorite scent and I've been wearing it since I was 14 years old. I would have to say that this has always been what I consider to be my signature fragrance. I LOVE the soft florals and hint of coconut. I always feel ultra feminine when I wear this.

elena68
elena68

Chic! LOVE IT!

krmarich

This gigantic floral briliance debuted in 1977 with Star Wars. It commanded as much attention in its day as any movie blockbuster. It was bold, graceful and elegant, paying tribute to the past while forging ahead to the future. I loved the bottle wth its curves.

Tuberose can scare me, but its dome with such class here that you can only love it! Its parade of flowers to follow all reverently take a bow. Its rich, lavish and perfect as a bridal signature. Florals couldnt get any bigger than this...

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

This is for women? Wow!

Oscar (EDP version) opens with a wallop of bitter lemon and lavender, lightly spiced by basil, and nuanced with a touch of tuberose. The lavender is frigid, herbal, probably Spanish. The drydown rapidly brings forth the warmth and creaminess of opoponax and sandalwood. The base is a masculine take on cloves and ambergris, all haloed in a rugged aroma of rosemary and myrrh. This smells very expensive, very well-constructed, and surprisingly unisex. I don't know how the EDT dispenses with those morning-slap lemon and lavender top notes, but I can say that the perfume is stunning, thanks to those elements. A real winner from Oscar de la Renta.

Misenchanted
Misenchanted

My aunty received this as a gift in around about 1982 and I used to go into her room and steal whiffs of it and dab it on my skin. There is no smell to compare with absolutely delicious, floral powdery fragrance. It's an instant pick-me-up and a wonderful scent for spring and summer. It remains my favourite signature (summer)perfume to this day (Opium being my signature winter fragrance). I asked my boyfriend recently to chose a fragrance for me to wear amongst all my beloved fragrances. He picked this one which bought a smile to my face. He was unaware that it is my favourite. We both love the way it makes me smell. Can't ask for more than that.

Scandia
Scandia

Very sexy fragrance. The remaining after notes are amazing. It was my signature fragrance for years...smells stronger and less mystical to me lately. Hmmm..wonder what that means..

yslorchiddechinee

I have worn Oscar since I was 11 years old and am now, well, a girl never tells, but that was late '70's. My family which WAS quite wealthy always knew what to buy me. One large bottle at my birthday and Christmas always brought a smile to my face. Anyway, this began my love for fragrance... Thank you Oscar de la Renta...

treenhe
treenhe

i don't know this perfume of old so i don't have any fond memories of it. i suspect if i did, i might look more kindly on it. it was so sharp at the start! and then i just got 'stickiness'. for my nose i guess that meant orchid, ylang ylang and sandalwood. and like all perfumes i don't like particularly, it lasted an absolute eternity on me! i've scrubbed 4 times now and i can still smell it *eugh. what was initially a mild dislike is now an intense disgust. gave it to my mum and she loved it. pity...i'll be able to smell it every time i see her now.

Louw
Louw

This is a gorgeous mixture of white flowers and subtle woody notes with a slightly powdery finish. I loved it twenty years ago and since then it's been a reliable fragrance that I've come back to many times over the yet it's never become one of my true favourites. Maybe that's because it's a bit too understated for my tastes and I tend to forget about it for long periods of time in between using it.

It's an 'old faithful' scent that I know I'll come back to again - it's suitable for all occasions (although not really a seductive evening perfume in my opinion) and has a real 'feel good factor' to it.

Siv55
Siv55

All I get from this is basil. In fact to me this shouts "Basil!" like Sybil Fawlty. Then it seem to mellow into someone a lot more refined, intelligent and sophisticated. However I don't find it very memorable, it's a bit subtle for me. And it's quite serious. It's an extremely well-groomed and expensive lawyer. Great for workwear.

pshycogirl-81
pshycogirl-81

This brings to my mind so much memories, of my beloved mother when I was a little girl and loved to watch my mom dress up, put make up on and press one or two pumps of this masterpiece.
Now that I´m 27 I thought: It is the right age for me to give it a try. Such a lovely scent, kind of soapy, extremely feminine,classic and elegant. The orchid seems to get along well with the ylang-ylang adding an exotic trace.
peach and coconut manage to sweeten up the fume just in the rigth ammount.
precious woods reflect glamour and serenity.
Is a must have; I wear it frequently.
Recently bought a decant of 100ml to my mom and we both started to bring back the nicest moments from the past ...
......................................................
Este trae a mi mente tantos recuerdos, de mi querida madre Cuando yo era una pequeña niña y me encantaba verla vertirse,maquillarse y rociarce una o dos veces con esta obra maestra.
Ahora que tengo 27 pensé: es la edad justa para poder probarla en mi. Que fragancia tan adorable; algo jabonosa, extremadamente femenina, clásica y elegante.
la orquídea parece llevarse bastante bien con el Ylang-Ylang; añadiendo una estela exótica.
El durazno y el coco se las arreglan para endulzar el perfume en la dosis adecuada.
Maderas preciosas que refejan Glamour y serenidad.
Es una exigencia el tenerlo; lo uso frecuentemente. Recientemente compré un decantador de 100 ml. para mi mamá y ambas comenzamos a traer de vuelta los mejores momentos del pasado...

olga1780
olga1780

After i totally fell in love with Red Satin and Gold edition, I purchased Oscar blindly without a shadow of doubt.
And i am very gald i did. At first, it is very sharp and has some dirty note, but after a little while it settles into the most sensual and elegant scent. I can see why many people reject it, they just don't give this precious fragrance a chance to develop and show its beauty. The more I try the old time classics, the more i get alienated from the latest heavily marketed concoctions in fancy bottles, that don't have much to offer other than flat scents with extremes in the lasting power: either suffocating with sweetness or going up in a puff of smoke within 1-2 hours.

scentiment
scentiment

This was my first perfume. I was about 6 years old and my family had just been to Spain (at least I think it was Spain) and at the airport, being bored with my parents and also being the kid that independently finds things to do, I picked up my little 1/16th size violin and started playing, in the middle of the airport. A lady from the perfume section of the tax free shop must have seen/heard me, thought I was cute and asked me to come play a little in their store, which I of course did. And as a little token of thanks, she gave me a half-full testerbottle of Oscar along with an almost full bottle of some other perfume that I don't remember, as well as a bunch of tester vials. Oscar is probably not a perfume that I would wear today, it is far too mature for me, and the top notes as I remember them are too sharp. But it will always instill a lovely feeling of accomplishment and represent the first step on a journey of scent.

IrishCol
IrishCol

I adore this perfume ... have worn it for years as my "special" occasion scent and it always makes me feel so sensual and feminine! It has good staying power too and when its been layered with the body lotion...oh to die for! This perfume holds a very special place in my heart!

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

I bought a vintage bottle on eBay. It smelled musty to me. The seller was kind enough to replace it with a new one. The new one still smelled musty and smoky when I sprayed it liberally on my arm. I thought, hmmm, is this how Oscar is supposed to smell? I waited a couple of hours and smelled my arm again. It had improved, but still too smoky, and now it was soapy as well. It was like a smoky soap. But oddly, after I rinsed my hands off with water and sniffed again, it transformed into a sweeter, softer, floral/herbal scent, with a pinch of spice. I could pick up some of the notes in the Perfume Pyramid above (carnation, orchid, lemon, rosemary, clove). The "watered down" version was alot more pleasant on my skin. Who knows why? I thought one Fragrantica reviewer's comparison to Dial bacterial soap was accurate, and funny. And yet, it's elegant! Though it's not completely similar, it reminded me of Chanel No. 5, but a bit more soapy (very soapy!). I'd be very curious to try a brand new bottle to see if the initial musty smell from mine was just a fluke. I'm also curious to try some of the newer versions of Oscar, like "Oscar Gold", "Latin Light", etc.

imoore
imoore

Yet again the first perfume of the designer is wicked, and the rest are just shadows of it.
opoponax should be a mandatory part of each and every perfume (that is just me?)

Sultry427
Sultry427

Despite there being a lot of reviews saying that this perfume is meant for more mature women; I received this absolutely gorgeous scent as a birthday gift from my parents on my 16th birthday, as it was my Mom's signature scent in her 20's. I still wear this scent religiously and I am 19 now, this scent has matured with my body chemistry and my tastes. This fragrance is such a classic, one spritz on my wrist and a small dab behind my ears and I am set for the whole day. This has wonderful staying power and if used correctly it is a subtle fragrance that is immediately known and complimented on constantly. I love how feminine and unique this is; so different from the fruit juice, sickly sweet candy and scrubbed clean slight musk perfumes now, I adore this perfume for those reasons precisely.
On my skin it takes up this beautifully warm scent with a slight hint of rose, it is not soapy at all, and it has never reminded me of soap in the least. This is a scent for women who are comfortable in their own skin, and assured in their femininity, it is a very comforting scent. My fiancee adores this fragrance, and I don't think I have ever happened upon I perfume I love quite as much as Oscar, it is beautifully womanly and perfect for daily wear. I sometimes switch to Belle D'Opium for special occasions or evenings out, it isn't the same smell as the vintage one that my Mom used to have a bottle of, but the newer version of the perfume is almost as lovely.
I would highly recommend Oscar, but I would also highly suggest you wear it directly on your skin to know how it mellows and lives with your own chemistry, as I know of a few people who loved this scent on me, but it didn't suit their chemistry at all. Fragrance is such a personal experience, and to truly know how a fragrance wears you have to actually wear it. I love Oscar, and I always will.

LaPetite
LaPetite

Not so oriental to me , as it is very fresh and faint , floral, powdery , and indeed a bit soapy , but nevermind , it's gorgeous , elegant , but not snotty . For the woman who is elegant, but remains genuine and natural.

pansylady
pansylady

I agree, this fragrance probably has the soapiest dry-down of any that I've smelled!

NicoleET88
NicoleET88

I can't review this thoroughly because I really can't stand it on my skin. But, I can say this: The dry down is almost exactly like old school, amber-colored Dial antibacterial soap. It's not bad, and I'm sure my father appreciates that this is my Mom's go-to scent. He's expressed, on more than one occasion, a belief that women should smell like a bar of soap. Whatever DAD...

It's too heady for me. Too strong. The spices and heavy flowers are just way more than I can process and it makes me nauseous. But, like I said, this is one of my mother's favorite perfumes, so I'll always have a soft spot for it when it wafts past me out in the world.

cisco
cisco

To me, nothing that smells this lovely can go out of style. It opens sharply and rather green. Almost immediately, it dries down to a lovely floral with a hint of Rosemary. It is placed in the correct category of Oriental Floral. Out of my collection, I believe Oscar is my favorite Oriental Floral. It smells elegant, has good sillage, and wonderful staying powder. I am so happy I read some of your wonderful reviews and found this fragrance. It is going to become a staple.

swedeangel
swedeangel

Yes its beautiful,very soft and caramellish.Yes its inoffensive,mild like a mothers warm embraces.
Its nicely blended,a true classic - pure quality.
But.
Thats how i felt about it in the eighties.
Now ,though im middleaged myself,it smells like my granny! Outdated!
its gonna be the first time ill say a scent smells old and out of style,coz i love some of the old stuff -shalimar ,je reviens,poison,all the old guerlains exetra exetra - but noooo - cant imagine smelling like this anymore!
Old ladys that dressed up...

millan
millan

I bought a mini for testing and this is my first reaction " WOW, WOW, WOW"!!!
I will keep testing it..

guest_hagertygal
guest_hagertygal

Oh how I love Oscar! I get a hevy smell of leather at first, then a strong carnation smell. Carnations are my favorite flower, so I am in heaven al day. I love how this fragrance has super long staying power, even at the end of the day. It changes every few hours. Very complex. I cannot believe I used to wear this 20 years ago, and went without it for so long. Once I sprayed it, I was hooked again. I found the big 3.3 ounce EDT for about 30 bucks and bought six. Dont let the EDT fool you.....it is strong. One or two sprays only.
I now refuse to wear anything but Oscar. I hope they never discontinue this, and I wish they would advertise it more. THIS is what a woman is supposed to smell like.....not like these candy and bubblegum scents out today.

mery09
mery09

This is a clasic perfume,elegant,I have edt and has a very good lasting power,I think is for a mature woman.I were this perfume in the evening,at special ocassions.

Anorton1965
Anorton1965

Oscar de la Renta reminds me of my mother. She used to wear this alot when I was a teen. She doesn't wear it so much anymore, but I remember it smelling so light & flowery/powdery. I remember when I was sick, and she would touch my forehead, her hands were cool and I could smell Oscar on her. It was a comforting smell. She was also very classy and elegant to me.

It's soft and flowery, with a light powdery scent. It has a medium sillage, because it does leave a light trail when I walk. It lasts all day. When layered with the lotion, I have to be cautious how much perfume I spritz so as to not over do it.

I think it smells the same on me as it did/does my mom. I feel elegant today. I love this scent! I need to get my mom wearing it again.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

There is something heavy in Oscar that I do not care for at all. I have never determined what it was but it's also in Vanderbilt. Both of these fragrances came out in a stronger perfume time of 1977 and 1982 for Vanderbilt. It may have been popular to have a musk base to perfumes in those years because they sure caught on and sold well. It does have some good floral notes but it's too musky for me.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

It is differing scent. Every will find from us in him something for himself,something special . Beautiful flowers or the non-typical powder finish. Oscar is very elegant , but pleasant on an everyday basis . I like him in summer. Then beautifully developed , as flowers in the garden , exactly so.
Let us remember to try recent scents, which did not stand warmed lamp.
I have EDT :)is super.
For me is not similar to Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps.

Lillith
Lillith

For me this fragrance is sure to become a fall staple. I tested it and the closest weather pattern I can equate the recent weather with is fall. A crisp early fall in new england. A dark rich slightly sweet scent with the barest hint of florals on my body, it captivated me. The sillage was great, and the lasting power an amazing eleven hours.

You can be sure that when my mini runs out I will invest in a full bottle. I will be looking for the bigest one I can find to. I will probly even stock up on different sizes.

I love this one so much, that I could eat it!!

perfumepromosince16
perfumepromosince16

I got this because I did sales promotions for it and back then sometimes you would just get paid in product, which was fine with me. Really classy, wonderful thing. A signature of that time, for sure.

Sissi
Sissi

The wisp of musk woods and resins Transport you to the darkly lit smokefilled room filled with smoky quartzed mirrors Disco music flowing
in sync with the bright lights. Mingling
with the rich and famous. Circa 1977
if you want something with Nostalgia
you'll love this perfume the ultimate
70's Perfume.

bamboowu
bamboowu

I have always loved this fragrance, to me it is very classy, sophisticated, soft and simply romantic. I love the musky, powdery & sweet aromas, it reminds me of a little of Cristalle by Chanel but with more depth - a lovely soft floral -- I actually prefer this one more.

I can smell the orchid & patchouli, peach and lavender and there is a powdery feel to it. A romantic, soft and sexy fragrance to me, and yet I have worn it to the office. I love it. It is a very soft and feminine, I will always love it, it reminds me of my wedding.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

To me, this is just such a classic woman's fragrance...one for the books. So distinctly itself. My friend Maria used to wear this in Jr. High. She would use her mother's and I have never again smelled anything quite like what this smelled like on her, which was deep, sensual, and fresh, all at the same time. I don't think it blended in that way on my skin and so I never stuck with it for too long. I think it is extremely feminine and sexy, though. I may just give this a try now that I'm 40!! ;)

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

I seem to like this fragrance a lot)
it appears quite soapy on me, but in a good way, not heavy, very romantic. Contrary to some reviews, it is not powdery on me at all; very lady-like, but not "old lady" in my opinion, it's more of a classic perfume. And yes, it also reminds me of Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps))
If you have an opportunity, go for pure parfum.

I expected Oscar to be quite rich and heady however this fragrance is refreshing and somewhat soapy.

I can't say whether I like it or not, its complexity and overwhelming freshness has me a little confused.

I think it may be the blend of white florals (which I adore), mixed in with the herbaceous notes of coriander, basil, rosemary, lavendar and patchouli that appears to be shocking to my nose. However, don't get me wrong, this is a pleasant scent, just something that I'm not particularly used to.

After the rather green and strong opening, Oscar develops into something quite powdery and soft, which is certainly appealing. I can now see why Oscar is hailed as a classic.

I must make it known that this fragrance has amazing lasting strength, and I mean amazing. I could smell this on me even after a shower at the end of the day when I had first applied it in the morning.

Despite the fact that this fragrance isn't my cup of tea, I certainly recommend this scent. Very lady-like in my opinion.

Malegria
Malegria

I don`t know if Oscar is playing tricks on me or I had an olfactory hallucination, but I had to pinch myself to make sure I did not use Mitsouko by mistake instead of Oscar! Dried peaches, patchouli...deja vu, definitely! Oscar is slightly more sweet, like a GLAZED dried peach, and may be more wearable for general public. In my opinion, it is a very nice fruity chypre.

Mushana
Mushana

.......reminds me of my mother so much that I bought it when I was homesick in Cape Town. It's avery mature scent and I agree 100% with elgab89's comparison with Chanel Nos 5 and Nina. It's for women who are very sure of themselves!

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

I first bought this one on my summer-vacation to Italy ! And I sooo very much fell deeply in love. But no, suprise, it wasn't just a "summer-crush". This became my signature fragrance! And still is even though years has passed by. It is a very wearable fragrance, excellent for daytime and warm weather, exquisite for evening. Soft, subtle, sweet, powdery and very very sophisticated. PERFECT!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

There are so many notes, and all I can smell is patchouli, with a hint of sweetness and carnation. Unbearable, for me.

michele23
michele23

Beautiful fragrance.Very soft and elegant.Classic.Makes you feel very feminine.

beperfect
beperfect

This scent is one of the favorite of my mom, it was very popular during her time, '77 thus it became one of her favorite perfumes. The scent is quite strong not recommended for teens or women with early 20's

renneyg007
renneyg007

No lie but I wore this for about 20yrs! It was my scent, partly because my name is Renata and well Oscar de la Renata, I felt akin to it. I know it sounds silly.

Anyway, this I agree is classic, refined and romantic, not to be overdone as it is deceptively strong. Its very well constructed and consistent in the way it develops. To me it has a floral, kinda fizzy opening, midway lots of ylang ylang and rose but the best part was the base, smooth, creamy and quite sexy in an understated way. Smells even better with the body cream. Utterly beautiful.

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

It is a sweet, elegant floral bouquet aroma and can be overwhelming if you use too much. I'm not sure why it is considered an Oriental Floral as I detect very few spicy notes from it. I detect is only a small amount of sandalwood and a tiny bit of cloves and amber. However, the middle notes are glorious! It has a perfect equation of tuberose, orchid, jasmine, lavender and ylang ylang. It is an ideal scent for entertaining friends or wearing as a new bride. This is most definitely Royalty amongst all perfumes and well deserving of the the FiFi award!

CaraMia
CaraMia

Delectable. This was my wedding perfume all full of osmanthus, orange blossoms and tuberose. It is a beautiful romantic fragrance and the spices are reined in nicely to give center stage to the summery florals and rich woods.

The newer bottles may have been tweaked, but then I recall the heavenly almost mystical parfum.

The first time I smelled it, I was hooked. It was worn that day by a somewhat older professional lady librarian who had previously had a staid reputation. It changed my opinion of her, for sure...revealed a romantic disposition.

at the first spray,it's very classic,sharp,floral and sweet.smells somehow creamy and I really get the coconut note which is the base part of this perfume.
actually I'm not into classics,but I think this one is a good choice.it's not very heavy and old fashioned.wearable even for youngs for special occasions or just a romantic date.
what I like about it is that it becomes very sweet as it remains on skin and the sharp floral scents fade away.

falovalo
falovalo

Pure flowers. I don't get any fruit or coconut notes. Kind of boring, actually. Lasts a long time though.

essija
essija

This powdery floral scent does not work for me either. I do think it could be worn on the right person and be very calm and relaxing. It smells very classic and can see why women would like this, but not for me..

Carla
Carla

Because of it's pulverous nature this fragrance does not wear well with me. Also,the clove-like scent from the carnation hits me to hard and lingers on forever. I did wear it occasionally in the 70's but it was not a favorite of mine.

azuriiita
azuriiita

Its very powdery and notable. Very suitable to evening, but not in a luxurious dress... because this fragrance is more appropriate with a humble elegance -in my opinion-
In a bad way, could be excessive and overwhelming.
Its a romantic fragrance for delicates women.

cdawnn1
cdawnn1

This is an interesting fragrance. It's very floral and has a lot of depth to it. I also smell something powdery and spicy in it. I would definitely think of this as an evening fragrance. Although this isn't my usual taste, it smells pretty nice.

elgab89
elgab89

It is very powdery, a little soapy, and it somehow reminds me of Chanel 5 and also Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps. Not a sexy scent although quite pleasant, a good girl perfume, for somebody very sensitive and romantic. I have got it as a present and I gave it to my mom(it does suite her better). The carnation in it is quite noticeable and lasts through all the stages of scent development. This perfume has a great longevity. I would not purchase it for myself, however I know a lot of ladies that would wear this beautifully.

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta 3.83 out of 5 based on 710 ratings and 144 user reviews

Zappos.com
Oscar Mini by Oscar de la Renta, .13 oz Mini EDT for Women
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 0.13 oz Mini EDT
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 0.13 oz Mini EDT
Deodorant 2.5oz
Oscar Deodorant by Oscar de la Renta, 2.5 oz Anti-Perspirant Deodorant 'Activee' for Women
Deodorant 2.5oz
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 2.5 oz Anti-Perspirant Deodorant 'Activee'
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 2.5 oz Anti-Perspirant Deodorant 'Activee'
Eau De Toilette 3oz
Oscar de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta TESTER for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 3.0 oz
Oscar de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 1.6 oz
Oscar de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 1.6 oz
OSCAR POUR LUI for MEN by Oscar de la Renta EDT SPRAY 3 OZ TESTER
OSCAR POUR LUI for MEN by Oscar de la Renta EDT SPRAY 3 OZ TESTER
Oscar Pour Lui Cologne by Oscar de la Renta, 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Oscar Pour Lui Cologne by Oscar de la Renta - 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Oscar Pour Lui Cologne by Oscar de la Renta - 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
So by Oscar de la Renta for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
So by Oscar de la Renta for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
Oscar by Oscar de la renta for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3 oz
Oscar by Oscar de la renta for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3 oz
FragranceShop.com
Oscar de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta TESTER for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta, 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray unboxed for Women
OSCAR for WOMEN by Oscar de la Renta EDT SPRAY 1.6 OZ UNBOXED
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Oscar de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
Oscar de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Oscar De La Renta Oscar Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Oscar De La Renta Oscar Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
FragranceShop.com
Oscar de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta for Women 3 Piece Set Includes 3.3 oz Eau de Toilette Spray 4.0 oz Body Lotion 4.0 oz Body Bath
Gift Set 1.7oz
Oscar Gift Set by Oscar de la Renta Gift Set for Women Includes 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray 1.7 oz Body Lotion 1.7 oz Shower Gel
Eau De Toilette
Oscar de la Renta Oscar Eau de Toilette Set
Oscar de la Renta Oscar Eau de Toilette Set
Gift Set 3.3oz
Oscar de la Renta Oscar Feminine Spirit Set
Oscar de la Renta Oscar Feminine Spirit Set
Gift Set 1.7oz
Oscar Perfume by Oscar de la Renta - -- Gift Set - 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray 1.7 oz Body Lotion 1.7 oz Shower Gel
Zappos.com
Oscar de la Renta - Oscar EDT Spray 1.6oz N A - Beauty
Oscar de la Renta - Oscar EDT Spray 1.6oz N A - Beauty

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Oscar de la Renta Oscar fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Oscar de la Renta Oscar, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oscar by Oscar de la Renta. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oscar by Oscar de la Renta represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.