Designers » N-Q » Leather « Groups

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui Oscar de la Renta for men

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui Oscar de la Renta for men
dislike

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui Oscar de la Renta for men Pictures Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui Oscar de la Renta for men Pictures

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta is a Leather fragrance for men. Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui was launched in 1980. Top notes are aldehydes, caraway, juniper berries, lavender, galbanum, basil, sage, anise and bergamot; middle notes are cyclamen, carnation, patchouli, cinnamon, vetiver, cedar and geranium; base notes are labdanum, leather, sandalwood, musk and oakmoss.

Aldehydes Caraway Juniper Berries Lavender Galbanum Basil Sage Anise Bergamot

Cyclamen Carnation Patchouli Cinnamon Vetiver Cedar Geranium

Labdanum Leather Sandalwood Musk Oakmoss

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui Fragrance Reviews

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

If you Google the phrase '80s Men's Cologne' I would expect an image of Oscar de la renta Pour Lui to be displayed. In a nutshell, it's everything good, and bad, about an 80s men's power-cologne...manly, strong, potent, overpowering, classy, classic, dated, aged, sexy, horrific, etc. To me, it strikes a favorable accord so I do like it and will wear it when I'm in one of those 80s cologne moods. Pour Lui is inexpensive, smells good, projects pretty well and lasts 10+ hours each and every application.

jwc001
jwc001

One for the oldies?

I love brogues - chunky shoes with wonderful detailed holes punched in the leather. They used to be the domain of old men - my dad. And formal - only to be worn with a suit.

Now, you see everyone wearing brogues (young or old) and with anything (with casual cloths, jeans, suits).

I suspect that many 'masculine manly scents', Pour Lui included, are similar. Once the domain of old men - but tastes change and silo mentality slowly dies away. I would say that Pour Lui is suitable for a wide set of generations, and is just fine in a wide set of situations (formal and informal).

I'm not yet an old man... And today, it's the weekend, and I'm out-and-about in a t-shirt and ripped jeans. And just loving the sweet vintage vibe of Pour Lui...

This is one that lasts well on my skin...

And silage is good, about 10cm from my arm after 2 hours - which is rare on me. And it's great on cloths - the scent wafts off my t-shirt every now and then in beautiful powdery waves.

jozemo
jozemo

R.I.P. Oscar you left us with a classic fragrance to remember you for.

Mr.Bobby.N
Mr.Bobby.N

Love this one.

It's a powerhouse, but not toxic. That is, it doesn't project so far as to offend people (ie. It's not a kick to the face like Kouros).

OSCAR DE LA RENTA POUR LUI combines all the classic scents I love into a great balance. Greens, leather, patchouli, woods, oakmoss. Very well balanced, and none of the notes get too loud.

It's elegant, cool/green, classic, fresh.

---------------------------------------------
SILLAGE: perfect
LONGEVITY: great
BOTTLE: classic.
SCENT: green/leather/floral/wood.
VALUE FOR MONEY: excellent.

OVERALL: 8.5/10
---------------------------------------------

adyyy7
adyyy7

Strong long lasting smell.Perfect for older men.Too powdered and pretty synthetic smell for my nose (i think is the reformulation foult)

arcade_blox
arcade_blox

Too strong for warm places. Patchoulli and sandalwood predominates on my skin. This one is really manly and really classy, and keeps yelling "the child i was is gone".

Hahaha, great blind buy!

joenick68
joenick68

Still getting to know it in the right time... just sprayed on my arm once to introduce it to my nose. How long would it take, don't know. But I have not click on the like or dislike icon yet.

Jola 72
Jola 72

Will always be my top 3 of men . Unique one ...

RobbieX

Gorgeous floral, spicy and aldehydic juice. Very long lasting with fabulous projection. I can detect a rose note in there reminiscent of Acteur. Apart from that, it's along the the lines of Anteus with more aldehydes. A very special fragrance for men!

Second review,
July 25,14
Oh Oscar you are soooo...rich , elegant, sophisticated as well a CLASSIC!!!! While I was organizing some of fragrance, behind several things Oscar was there. I sprayed it on my skin and the richness of carnations followed by patucchli giving it a real attractive warm/sweet aroma.
After it settles the aroma of leather with Oakmoss with a hint of sandalwood gives this juice a real bold attractive masculine fragrance.
This stuff lasts well past 10hrs....silage is definitely more than most current frag's on the market today!
Overall view,
This juice is categorized as a fall/winter frag...well why do we have to wait till the late fall to wear it? The hell with that...during the summer evening's and during special occasion I won't hesitate to wear this PHENOMENON fragrance. I ABSOLUTELY ♥♥♥ this juice, I hope that it never goes discontinued. Oscar de la Renta Pou is liquid gold!!!...10/10

Mr.X
Mr.X

In Short ...... For a Man :)

Tremere
Tremere

A gorgeous, masculine '80s powerhouse and a dirty bird. A dirty, dirty bird.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

This is a classy slap in the face with a cultured leather glove. Big heavy loud powerhouse of a fragrance, strong leather scent, reminds me a little bit of Antaeus/Kouros. Once again it's the Patchouli note that hooks me. A true classic, vintage like an old British library. Classy and Cultured.

TheNewEra
TheNewEra

Pros:
-Very strong scent
-Long lasting on skin (half day or longer)
-Inexpensive at 20$ for 3 oz.
-Smells extremely masculine
-Seems like something you would smell from the 80's
-Great for the winter as it smells like Christmas with the candles, cinammon, oak, etc...
-Definitly a statement and signature scent cologne

Cons:
-Outdated formula/scent for the new generation
-Way to strong for some people
-There is such a vast amount of notes in this it can be somewhat overwhelming
-Only seems best for the winter season
-The younger you are the less likely you will buy and/or like this as it is really meant for the older generation
-Requires somebody who really wants to smell of a macho, masculine, 80's type
-Could be mistaken for the smell of a church

I bought this as it was on sale for 20$ and I couldn't go wrong for that price. The reviews were glowing on this site however I did not factor in that these reviews are mainly by people who are much older. That is not to say that it will make you smell like you are an old man, it is to state that this cologne is really meant for the older generation. As for the scent, I do not like it on me however I do like it around me. I had used this to spray around rooms so it would smell more like christmas. In fact when the fireplace burned and you could smell the wood, this cologne was an amazing compliment to it. It is definitly a winter-night cologne for an older masculine type. This cologne most likely is bought by people who recognized this from "back in the day". It definitly makes a statement and is great if you want a signature cologne.

MrStinky
MrStinky

BrandonR really nailed it with the Catholic Church smell. But to me it's a Catholic funeral not a baptism. Not a funeral home, but a catholic church during a funeral mass even including the smoky incense. I spent 8 years in a parochial school including time as an altar boy. I remember the smells.

It is a wonderful fragrance, I like it alot, I just can't figure out where to wear it. Very classy, very formal.

boyoyo

I like the original from top to base.The top is a many splendor things.The middle is exquisite and the base is a welcome and lovely ending.Forty minutes into the wearing and for the next five hours,it oozes and projects a brilliant elegance and beauty that can't be match.(Pomping).Classic

brandonR
brandonR

Pour Lui smells like a Catholic Church baptism on Easter Sunday to me. I don't mean that in an incense sort of way, but more like a white linen, spicy, candle waxy, formal sort of way. With the aldehydes up front, there seems to be a strange dance of very dry spice fighting with water which somehow comes off waxy to me. Very clean, but old formal clean.

This fragrance is one that I would consider a difficult wear. Although nice, Pour Lui is alien compared to anything sold at the Macy's counter today. That said, It's the kind of olfactory challenge I enjoy. If you're new to scents and looking for something to up your game on the road less traveled, I'd advise you to skip this one and look into it later on down the road once your nose becomes more advanced. If not, be prepaid to smell like the inside of Peter Cushing's leather vampire slayer case, complete with holy water, wooden stakes and metal crosses. Then again, why the hell not?

Critic
Critic

So aldehydes smell like apples? OdlR PL is a wonderful composition that smoothes out an old school leather-patchouli-geranium with an apple-cinnamon accord. Wonderfully presented. Long lasting with great sillage.

May need restraint.

Manolete
Manolete

This is what Sex Panther should have smelled like.

Descartes
Descartes

Classic aromatic Fougere ; vanilla, oakmoss, coumarin,patchouli,etc. Clonic to Houbigant Fougere Royale and Montana Red.Opens with a blast of rosmary and Lavander. Intense,masculine,timeless,a real classic gentleman's fragrance.

Anubis-Black
Anubis-Black

No big story to tell here.
Just spray it on and WAMMO! there's the man.
One of the very few original classics that goes deep and endless.
Not one for the kids.

Castor

It was bombastic, complex, longlasting blend. Nowadays, it is subtler, less bold, a simpler version of the original one. More of an analogy in relation to the original one. I won't bash the last one, it seems it has been updated as to present day usages.

You cannot wear the original one with confidence. When applied while at home, fine. If wearing the original one while on a social occasion, I get paranoid at the expectation of being signalled as a cologne guy that lags behind in time.

Yes, I know, a heresy. Sorry guys, sometimes reformulations are for the good. My two cents, you don't have to agree on this.

Marlon Brando
Marlon Brando

Well well, some of you are kinda real poet's and some other are in the know about chemistry and perfume per se.

But, let's talk about that juice by ODLR. I've tested it yesterday and wow it took back in the day's of big hair and paddy fashion. Agressive and strong at first, the drydown became soft and aromatic. A LOT.

Conclusion, it's not for me anymore. It belong to another era and perhaps because i don't want to live in the past, i'm out.

MB

Redbeard
Redbeard

Kind of a fruity powerhouse? It opens with some of Herrera for Men's pomegranate / berry, fruity christmas-wreath vibe, but on top of much darker, sharper woods and herbs. This, like Calvin, is a powerhouse that for me is redeemed by the relative lack of the most bitter, acrid notes often found in this genre. As it goes on, it gets more leathery and less piney, starting to resemble Bel Ami quite a bit, but while Bel Ami brings warm colors to mind (brownish orange?), Oscar Lui has more blue and purple notes from the cool fruitiness. I also like the fact that I don't find much anise, but a lot of clove and nutmeg; the spice mixture is fairly in-line with my tastes. The main objection I have by the base is that it's too medicinal, like the fruit is from berry-flavored cough syrup. Still, intriguingly complex. While this genre isn't really my thing, I think it could be quite a good pick for a leather lover! [P.S.: based on numerous threads, my mini is the vintage version.]

Robert G. Rodríguez
Robert G. Rodríguez

Pour Lui so beautiful spicy leather manly fragance, Oscar de La Renta made one of the best colognes with leather! It´s just a classic and elegant option!!

hsuru4u
hsuru4u

i am on the fence....i sprayed on and it was very strong and possible headache enducing for some but 6 hrs later drydown was very smooth and sweet yet manly....good silage and unique old school frag....i may get some soon.
update:: i did get this and while it is the reformulated it is very manly and comforting...drydown is beautiful!!

aqua_de_la_vita

I sampled this frag after many years of having my first bottle and this is most definite A CLASSIC !!!! ODLRPL has a real robust aroma which was way ahead of its time when it came out in the 80's.
When I sprayed it on my skin, the top notes of caraway, juniper berries, lavender gives this frag a touch of floral scent. After it settles the notes patchouli, cinnamon, vetiver and also cedar which gives this frag a real deep intense woodsy and spicy aroma. The base notes of leather, sandalwood, oakmoss and musk gives it that spicy and refined aroma.
Longevity is well past 10hrs..superb.
Sillage is very high..you can smell it 3ft away.

Overall opinion, ODLRPL has a magnetic attractions. A manly and sophisticated fragrance that women love. This frag has a top notch aroma with a very dark, mysteries scent and its down right sexy when you wear it. This HIGH QUALITY frag's projections is PHENOMENAL, there is nothing about this superb frag that represents a generic cologne what so ever.
If you can get your hands on a bottle you will never regret it. This is my second bottle and I still enjoy wearing it during the fall/winter days. I can't help myself repeating that its A REAL SEXY FRAG, when women are always giving you compliment's you know you have their attention. This frag is amazing...in a word MASTERPIECE. The only possible rating is 10/10..now its part of my signature colognes. A TIMELESS COLOGNE,
GO FOR IT AND LIVE LIFE !!!!

georgequeue
georgequeue

I had the chance to try it last night; I'd smelled it many years ago, but I didn't know what its name was. It's been said this juice is for men above 45 years old (I'm 36), but I found it really appealing and wearable...it's very nice, masculine, long-lasting, and elegant. I think I'll buy this EDT some time.

Happeniz
Happeniz

@Mr Crazy Leg - you are crazy, man! I own the stuff and I do like it. But I like your review better!

d-d-d-drew
d-d-d-drew

More like Oscar Pour Moi.

Got my hands on some original formula and though I was too young to know about this fragrance in 1980, I'm totally fascinated by its multi-layers, its richness, and still very relevant appeal.

Some may say it smells dated; I concur that there's a retro-feel to it which is not unattractive. I enjoy making everything that is old, new again, breathing new life and spirit into a fragrance that evokes another time and sensibility.

My first whiff made me think of depth and mystery. The leather, patchouli, and oakmoss, possibly my most favorite notes, echoing in a haunting way that took me back into time. Not enough to want to wear acid wash, but enough to remember and appreciate it.

People say, live in the moment. I prefer to live in multiple moments.

Services
Services

Better than Tsar but maybe...... just maybe not as good as Montana but very good anyway.

I do wish they didn't reformulate stuff....

Do you hear me manufactures?

Kaze
Kaze

''Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.''

Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui is that of a dark freshness of leathery woods and floral smokiness. A unique and timeless classic. Haunting and may I say - daring? It is composed of beautiful deep florals, leathery - green herbs and warm spices in which exudes sophistication, elegance, darkness and masculinity.

It Is perhaps a fragrance for the complex soul. If not, the soul of a poet hence quoting Edgar Alan Poe. Maybe even Dracula himself, think of Bela Lugosi one can imagine wearing such refined darkly and beautiful elegance.

Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui's longevity and silage is Monstrous. I get 8-10 hours maybe even more.

This is much more for the colder months and can be easily worn with dark and muted colors (in regards of attire)

Try wearing this fragrance during snowy weather... it epitomizes beauty.

fuggerone
fuggerone

I'm talking of the vintage juice, heavy like a dive bomb..incredibly nice but makes you smell like you came out of a time capsule from 1980, really retro but fascinating I have a 240 ml bottle from the golden era!

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

Received my edt bottle 50ml yesterday.
A total disappointment.
My memory of this fragrance was vey good, although it was more than 25 years ago having smelled and used the after shave on a regular basis. It was then a heavy scent, resembling Antaeus at the time which I also wore with darkish pleasure.
The current edt composition of OdlR lui is a chemical synthetic mix which is clearly relieved from many of its original natural ingredients. The tragic thing is that it follows the pattern of many older reformulated perfumes of today. More cheap toxic chemicals are added in production and you can really feel this when sniffing from the bottle.
A recommended no buy for chemical synthetics and for safety reasons.
The original Oscar de la Renta pour lui is dead for now.

aucffan1
aucffan1

I am 47 and have been using and loving Pour Lui for 30 years now.. I own it. I recently bought a back up bottle of it and will continue to use it..

I have a very large cologne collection from cheapies to expensive.. I have the better Creeds and Chanels.. I have Curve, Blue Jeans, and nautica Blue..

Pour Lui is one that I just really like and its a go to when you need one to last..

I wear it playing raquetteball or dinner with loved ones..

Versatile fragrance that could be bought on a blind buy..

krmarich

I have revisited my 20 year old splash bottle and decanted some in a travel sprayer. The splash always kept it under control. Spraying it activates all of the aldehydes and stirs up the oakmoss. The galbanum jumps up too. Atomized, it is a totally different fragrance.

It hovers over the skin and really projects its refined elegance. With so many notes, it becomes a perfect composition that will never be matched. There has always been a contradictory frosty evening warmth associated with it, lending to its beauty.

ODLPL and its female counterpart are the most glamorous couple at the party, dripping in diamonds and fur(before it became wrong). Its formal evening wear bottled to perfection. I will always have a special place in my memory for Oscar De La Renta, and visting his disco in Paris circa 1987 at the Palais Royal. It was frosty the night of my visit, yet steamy inside, just like ODLPL.

It is a starlit, snowy night riding in a troika in Moscow circa 1900. It the end of the silent ride You arrive at a snowbound dacha that has a roaring fire blazing at the hearth.

word-doctor
word-doctor

Bought a largish bottle with a little gone for $15 at an antique mall--not much for a blind buy of a well-regarded 80s scent!

I agree with Seifert about Tsar. At drydown I find Lui to be a little bit softer and more muddled, whereas on application it is sharper and more prominent. I think Laffe is dead on about this being an archetype of 80s scents.

The problem I have is that for me it's not as distinguished on its own characteristics. There isn't a clear signature note or pair of notes; I get some leather but it's very subtle. It's a pleasant, masculine frag, suitable for work, but I don't see buying another bottle. This would inhabit the same spot for me as Quorum or Tsar, and I like the former a LOT more and the latter a bit more. If for some reason I want 80s scent to keep to myself, this is the one.

Sillage: 4/10

orestes
orestes

good fragrance but unfortunately reformulated! when i was student at 80's smells differently,more better

CHSeifert
CHSeifert

I rocked this in Gymnasium/High Scool in 1987-1988, and I rocked it with proudness a long with my other all time favorite, Davidoff Original.

These two frags were my favorites at that time, and I forgot all about them until I rediscovered frags again last year. Couldn't find Davidoff Original no matter how much I searched for it, but found Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui and let me tell you, this smells very very closely to the original, so can't say if they have reformulated it.

It starts out very greenish bergamot, lavender and sage with a nice patchouli in the background. Then after an hour the patchouli kicks in deeper and stronger, and you get some cinnamon and geranium. After 2-3 hours it still is strong and potent and you start to get the base notes of leather, musk and sandal- + cedar wood.

Depending on application, you get a nice strong projection from 2-4 hours, and longevity of anything from 8-10 hours solid, some times even longer.

I often mix this with Giorgio of Beverly Hills, and get a green leather patchouli bomb out of it and crazy projection and longevity and a more refined version of what Giorgio of Beverly Hills can do alone.

Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui reminds me quite a lot of Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpel - they are VERY close to each other, 85-90% close IMHO.
But ODLRPL is better than Tsar. I still love this fragrance, but it's not my favorite like it was some 20+ years ago, but I bought an extra 90 ml bottle, so Iøm sure I have enough for the next 6-8 years. Hope they never will discontinue it, but logic says it will happen at some time.......

I'd rate it 9/10 overall.
Not a masterpiece, but a very well made fragrance, if you like the powerhouse green frags from the 80's.
And NO! NO! NO! - this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Polo Green or Azzapo PH, NOTHING at all. I love Azzaro PH, I kind of like Polo Green and I love ODLRPL !

purplesun
purplesun

One of the seminal releases in men's perfumery. The fragrance opens with strong aldehydes, juniper berries, carraway and basil, an opening not for the faint of heart or to be forgotten, ever. Then what follows is a most melodious and powerful symphony of carnation, patchouli, geranium and cinnamon. All of this is propped up and amplified by an overdose of oakmoss, leather and labdanum. The resulting composition is never to be repeated again, standing alone as a giant among a multitude of wimpy, dwarfish wannabes.
Get a bottle of this quick, and stock up if you like, until old stocks are available. I certainly will.

10.1/10

LANIER
LANIER

Summer 1980 New York, Studio 54. They are all there. Bianca, Bowie, Liza, Liz, Capote and Warhol, in the mad coked up swirl of the beginning of the decade of decadence and greed. It was the age of heedless glamour, big shoulders and bigger hair. And in the center of it all was the Big Fragrance. There was none bigger perhaps than Pour Lui by Oscar De La Renta. Bold, emphatically rich and a little gaudy. I am happy to say it still holds on to the night like no other and dances till dawn in crystalline abandon.

If you want to funk the night way like Sylvester, this is your fragrance. There are so many notes it is a wonder that it doesn’t explode under the pressure. Okay I am making a little fun of poor Pour Lui but how can you not enjoy and wink at something so audacious and fun as this fragrance. It is pure late night glamour with enough power to ignite a bonfire of the vanities.

And like MisterCrazyLegs says there is something of the vampire in this bottle. A few sprays of this love at first bite elixir and you are set for a fabulous night out at a retro disco with the creatures of the night. Bring your sunglasses, you will need them when the sun comes up and you are still rocking this magnificent classic.

Five Gold Stars *****

boyoyo

The first impression threw for a loop.I was like,is that all it has to offer?.But i tell you an hour into it,i was in love and hooked.
OPL is a stunner,outstanding,Mysterious,and haunting.
Green, different,potent,well blended and has a lot of waffling aroma.
Very very good projection and everlasting longevity.
This is a gem,and number one for me.
The women can't seem to get enough of it.I have not met one that don't like.Whenever they catch a wiff,they are stunned and hypnotised.
There is nothing like OPL.

pob75
pob75

Wow! Initially this is VERY strong. I like a lot of the fragrances from this era and this is a great example. You can tell when it dates from but it is distinct and different as well. I don't find it dated - I love this one. I suspect I am of an age (mid/late 30s) when I appreciate it but may not have done 10 years ago.

It stays strong for hours and exudes a deep, mature, leathery smokiness. Various notes ebb and flow, like a definite "pencil shavings" smell and some citrus sharpness early on. Later it seems to deepen, remains smoky but there is a certain freshness and some soapiness to it as well.

This is strong on my skin for at least 12-14 hours and still detectable at 24hrs (but only just). It projects very well for 8 hours, pretty well for 12+ hours and still has a little bit of projection well beyond that. One of the most potent and long-lasting fragrances I've found.

For me this is a lovely, very masculine, very potent, deep, quite complicated cooler weather fragrance that has to be sprayed very sparingly. Very, very good - if you like these types of fragrances you should definitely give this one a test.

prot72
prot72

The strongest and most powerful fragrance ever created. This is a killer in the bottle, however nice killer :-) that evolves a lot to very pleasant and warm, still very noble creation. PL is like orchestra with thousands of instruments but finally perfectly synchronized. The first impression could be even unpleasant but after while it is like honey drops on the perfume lovers heart. Very mysterious and dark, from past ages. I can’t even compare it to other fragrances from 80s. PL is much more… like fragrance for kings. I love it.

json
json

Amazing scent, old but timeless. This one seperates the boys from men and unisex from masculine.

misterjohn
misterjohn

I blind bought this one based on reviews from Fragantica. It is outstanding. The projection and longevity are first rate, as is the scent itself. For me, the dominant accords are lavender mixed with patchouli. It's not really a dirty scent, but the patchouli lends a bit of mystery to the whole proceeding. The overall blend is well put together--there are no jarring notes from the opening through the basenotes. It's an opulent scent that makes me happy to be wearing. Big thumbs up.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

This legend is just perfect! Brimful of deep, dark, strong masculine notes. It starts very strong and "brutal", but settles down to a elegant and sophisticated scent with some sweetness. The sillage and longevity is perfect. I bought the current formulation, and it doesn`t matter if it has been reformulated, because this version is excellent. Minimum requirement attire: White iron shirt and polished leather shoes. suit jacket recommended! Some of my favorit fragrances are Quorum, Antaeus, Santos concentree, Boss no.1, Kouros etc, and Oscar Pour Lui blend in to this group without problems. If you like these type of 80-ies scent, you will love Oscar Pour Lui. A winner!

ericrico
ericrico

This is a classic, refined powerhouse that exudes confidence and taste. Shamus1, RobbieX, krmarich and MrMookie all offer great insight and reviews here. I smelled the original many years ago and loved it - but, based upon various reviews, I chose to go with current formulation initially. It is exceptional. I will revisit vintage in the future, but this is great juice.

Leather, patchouli, oakmoss all radiate underneath several layers of deep florals, an amazing carnation-clove note, warm & complex spices, aldehydes, green herbs and a touch of wood. This, to me, is about paradox in a composition - how a blend so strong and bold can wear so sophisticated and elegantly. This is a true aura scent with great projection and longevity. I believe applying this to skin is essential, but let it touch your clothes. It is not headache inducing - it is simply phenomenally rich. After 45 minutes to 1 hour, it calms down considerably and being a unique and wonderful dark, floral chypre with a nice leather base. Unlike anything else out there. People can try to draw comparisons, but I recommend just buying it. It is that good - even in current formulation and the price point is fantastic (as Oscar for Men is such an amazing and unique fragrance for the price).

Created in 1980, I believe it is a true classic - and the current formulation is very well done. I feel the atmosphere this creates as it was described eloquently by MrMookie - but, yes, there is something about this scent that takes you to a different place (and time perhaps)...transcendent juice! I love the vibe - macho, confident, a scent for a man who knows what he wants. I don't know what Al Pacino wore in Scarface in the heat of Miami - but I imagine that once he hit the big-time, he wore Oscar Pour Lui with an attitude. This is a bottle of juice that says, "Say hello to my little friend" when you walk in the room!

8.8/10 and a strong recommendation for anyone who loves classic powerhouse fragrance with an aire of sophistication. Current formulation - very good-excellent.

**Update** - A must! I acquired a perfectly-kept and well-cared for Vintage bottle of Oscar Pour Lui! Better than current formulation - more definitive notes that separate wonderfully. A near masterpiece!!! Although both Current & Vintage are very good quality, Vintage Oscar Pour Lui is one of the most amazing and awe-inspiring male fragrances made in the last 3+ decades! I have worn this now several times - including a side-by-side wearing with current formulation. Vintage has more note separation and is (while still very potent) a touch more quiet on my skin. The opening of the Current is sharp and a bit "screechy". You need to wait 15-20 minutes for it to integrate & it hits stride in the heart and drydown, but it never gets as smooth or articulate as Vintage formulation, which is sublime. I notice the depth in the basenotes more here in the Vintage - while the top and heart are more pronounced in the current formulation (not that Vintage is incredible as well). I am strictly discussing sheer volume/power! I layered to test and it works fairly well (especially for a full day's scent), but I strongly prefer wearing Vintage by itself. If you choose to layer, apply a nice a full wearing of current (I even touched up after about 5 hours with a few shots). At 8 hours, I applied several shots right on the same spots (both skin and clothes). The feeling of Vintage is just different - more refined, distinct and elegance captured in a bottle. If given a choice, I prefer to have both! The compositions are similar, but complimentary to one another. It's like having a wiser, more mature older brother guiding you through life to have Vintage juice - while the younger brother is louder, wants more attention and seems to always get in trouble. But, when together, the big brother helps point him in the right direction. ;-)

9.5+/10 for Vintage Oscar Pour Lui. Incredible and VERY Near Perfection in scent. As I used the adjective before - this is sublime! True olfactory delight - even more refined than current juice. The composition captures and embraces the magnificent power but is able to create subtle nuances and accords that are just mind-blowing. While earthy and green patchouli blends with the radiant florals, there is a thick plume of smoke and a dusty layer of freshly-grated spices wafting up to your nose...while resting on a bed of oakmoss under a beautiful, rich leather jacket. This is almost impossible to describe in words and notes. There is, simply, no fragrance ever created that is similar to it in both depth & quality.

A gorgeous, refined, macho, suave powerhouse with absolute uniqueness - a true classic!! Timeless.

MrMookie
MrMookie

My review on pour lui, i've worn it 4 times in the past 9 days.
Its a great deep masculine scent.
Smokey,woody,leathery and very manly.
A evening night scent.
If you spray it on your body you instantly get caught in a heavy, dense and deep masculine mist its fresh & spicy in the first 3-4 seconds and then the smokeyness comes in it puts a warm blanket of spices and leather around you skin.
If its under your suit it lingers around your body projecting all away.

Pretend this scene :
A big gala evening in a dancehall in Old Havana in the mid 80's
All people sit around in circled red leather couches with a reserved table in the middle where all drinks are on.
Men and women in their 30's and 40's all dressed up in tuxedos and gala dresses some dance the salsa ,the smell of sigars, leather and rum in the air.
In the background cuban trumpets playing cuban son music people get all heaten up because they celebrate weekend.

Walking through this scene would definitely smell like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui!

Nothing smells like this. Its diffrent, its great its the perfect evening out scent for a classic south american or south european man.

- huge projection and longevity.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I wish I could wear this. Unfortunately too self conscious to boast such an old school fragrance with faith that I'll be comfortable wearing it.
I've found myself really appreciating older, man-man scents (Ungaro iii, Polo) but only just warming up to sporting them proudly. I'm 28 right now, everyone thinks I'm <25, and I love wearing Ungaro iii. Give it 5-7 years, I might have the guts to sport Oscar.

Beautiful!

starshadow
starshadow

My dad had a big bottle of this in his collection when I was a teenager and also in my early 20's, in the late 80's. And I tried it on occasion but couldn't get past what I perceived as a clashing of too many notes, but with one in particular that I found especially bitter and confusing. However, I recently found, about 20 years later, a mother lode of fresh product (same appealingly cryptic bottle and everything) and decided to try it again as I never lost my unexplainable fascination with a fragrance that smelled disorienting and sickening on me, in the past. And I think my memory of how it seemed to smell mostly good on my dad, who I have always admired, provoked me. Anyway, I took my new 1.six ounce bottle home with me, tried it that night, and was captivated by the weird leathery smell and bizarre, sensual nuances coming from numerous dark directions that drifted in and out of the leather. I smelled like Dracula - a shadow-dweller with a pet bat on his shoulder and the confidence that he was alive to woo the female gender - and can only deduce that, though I am certain it is the very same smell from yesteryear that I couldn't cope with, I had only to mature quite a bit to appreciate its Gothic complexity. YES, it smells like the 80's, having been released in '80 if I remember correctly, and that is actually a part of why I love it, so! The 80's can never be duplicated, will always rock, and I couldn't care less how many (and I don't mean to be rude, here) club-hopping hipster's think it smells like their dads or grandpa's. Matter of fact, I'm GLAD they think so, so that my peers and I may effectively distinguish ourselves from the seedy, juvenile pop culture of the last 2 decades. Long live Quorum, Kouros, Halston Z-14, Boss NUMBER ONE, Polo, Zino, Smalto, Tuscany, Obsession, Paco Rabanne, Paul Sebastian, Grey Flannel, Lagerfeld, Drakkar and Azzaro!! And, of course, Oscar de la Renta POUR LUI!! Hallelujah.

daynierds
daynierds

I am not sure if they gave me something else inside my bottle cause I see a lot of people who do like it here...,as a matter of fact, it is everything but a perfume, me, my wife and all around me really agreed this is one of the worst fragrances ever...even so..I respect each one viewpoint, maybe it is us, maybe we need new noses all...from 1 to 10....certainly 2...I had never had the feeling I could not breath, it is simply extremely dated and sth that would not be good for anybody under 45...I would never recommend this to anybody with the exception of my worst enemies...

Scentrist
Scentrist

This is big, exuberant and unapologetic. I've used this for nearly 30 years now, and though the formulation has changed 'slightly', it's still representative of what it was back then.

ODL Pour Lui is a brilliant fall/winter scent, and if I had to give it one key note that you'll walk away with it's this: Leather. But there's so much around this to make it deep, captivating, and sensual that you can easily forget there's a heart/base of leather in there somewhere. It's the quintessential definition of what an 80's period scent would be, yet I find it difficult to define anything I dislike about it. Longevity is amazing, projection is fantastic...it's classy in a brash and masculine way. There is absolutely no mistaking this scent for anything else, so it's uncommon to the hundreds of other current fragrances steeped in grapefruit and awash in lightness.

I would absolutely recommend this with caveats. If you're under say 35, just forget about this altogether because you won't get it. For those above that mark, find it, sample it, draw your own conclusions on why people view this as such a one-of-a-kind classic.

tuscany
tuscany

I just recieved my Bottle 2 day's ago and WOW..this smell is really amazing..smells abit like Cartier..de Santos..BUT..more like Antaeus by Chanel..long lasting and alot of compliments..old 80's frag but still a timeless classic from Oscar..

libraye
libraye

It is definitely a masterpiece that will last forever and I am so lucky to own one.
After I smelt it, it made me feel safe and relaxed. Just like an old mature man who was sitting besides me and teaching me when I got confused by my life.

深邃、稳重、成熟世故,恐怕全世界也仅此一款。我相当喜欢这款香水。

krmarich

A very brillant powerhouse classic from a bygone era. No man today could wear this now classic gem, and "fit in". It has lots of leather, patcholi, vetiver, caraway and carnation shouting "here I am". It project for miles, lasts for days and has a refined character that has a somewhat seedy side.

That sums up my realationship with Oscar. How i used it as a signature in 1997 is beyond me. Perhaps it was a longing for a lost age of gold chains, leisure suites and sideburns...Or perhaps I just wanted to return to the sophistication of that now lost guilded age of mens fragrance....

Luforge
Luforge

A Pact Powerhouse of scents!..Everlasting longevity. Its rare to find a sexy and elegant fragrance like this one. Make sure you have a very light index finger when spraying this one, the more you spray the more potent this scent becomes..Its so 80s..I just luv it!

Valentino
Valentino

I thought I knew my stuff, but have only just discovered the wonderful Oscar de la Renta pour Lui.(Not to be confused with Rochas Lui).

I bought this blind from TKMaxx and I do not recommend this particular frag as a blind buy! That said, if you are familiar with Kouros, Azzaro, the Van Cleef and Arpels line or any of those 80s bad boys you will be quite satisfied.

I feel that Pour Lui walks a fine line between classy refined gent and hairy-chested medallion man. The creamy floral opening is nicely rounded, but then a powdery, fierce, burning patchouli takes over. (They may as well list it as incense, as the keyword here is smoky). The leather notes in the base are dirty, make no mistake. It is this slightly brash, uncouth aspect of Pour Lui's character which marks it down from a 'love' to a 'like' for me.

Pour Lui is like the guy who goes out looking too smart so he takes his tie off and undoes the top button on his shirt. He seems undecided as to the character he wishes to portray. Otherwise, a pretty good show!

I'm not sure what the combination is, but it comes across as a dusty lavender and burnt patchouli kind of scent (in a "good way"). There is a clear fougere accord at first, but after an hour or so it starts to give way to this more interesting and enjoyable accord. Perhaps two hours later there is little trace of that fougere accord.

I have a bottle from the 1980s and one from a few years ago. There is a substantial difference, so don't blame me if you get the new one and dislike it! The new one has a base that is mostly cedar and amber, it seems, with some of the top/mid notes lingering in the background. I might buy it if there was no original version, but the original is something special, and you can still find it on ebay once in a while for low prices. Projection/"sillage" isn't that strong once the top notes dissipate, relative to similar fragrances of that era, but longevity is excellent. If you have no experience with this kind of fragrance, however, I don't think this is the place to start (sample first).

junior halston

True in style to Latin fragrances for men. Rich, Masculine, Spice, Leather, Civet. It is very much in the same mode as Jean Pascal and other 80's gem but not as well know to north America as Pour Lui.

shamus1
shamus1

A big strong macho frag that exemplifies 80s old-school power. It's as dense as a brick shithouse, with a trademark Eighties green moss/patchouli/leather vibe. Pour Lui truly is a colossal fragrance, and you'd better like patchouli and oakmoss A LOT if you expect to like this. It smells dark, very spicy, loud and ultra-masculine. No one will ever accuse you of wearing a girly perfume with this.

This leather chypre is so at odds with what's fashionable today, mainly because it's so strong. Pour Lui likes to hang with his soul brothers Lapidus Pour Homme, Giorgio For Men and Kouros. It has no transparency or subtlety at all. Wearing this is like being at a rodeo in a china shop. I totally love frags like this.

If you're looking for a fragrance with big time power and sillage, look no further than this.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

RobbieX

An old school type men's scent. Complex and potent with a floral/spicy drydown. It's a great smell. I agree with Missan below and Tuscany above that it's very like Antaeus. For the mature man I think. Pour Lui is a really good retro powerhouse!

badkarma
badkarma

I love classic scents like these. Some would say I'm too young to wear these scents(I'm 22) but I love the old scents. This one works with the ladies too if you spray just once on your neck and once on the wrists. When you smell a hint of this it's the most amazing smell ever, you spray too uch and it's the most annoying smell ever.. If you want a real dark scent for fall and winter, this one is it. the bottle and colour give me a very dark image. Something that reminds me of vampires and werewolves and those little bats.. But a real classic. And a very good scent, if your body chemistry allows..

junior halston

I love this scent I like how the fresh floral open contrast against the leather herbal base. They don't make them like this any more and from my understanding the only reason it is kept in production is that it is Oscar's only fragrance he wears himself.

jtappenden
jtappenden

Happy memories of this fragrance.Very sweet & spicy.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

nice elegant scent !!!!!!

missan
missan

This is like a more sofisticated brother to Quorum, or if you like a little less complex Antaeus. I do not think this is too powerful, a really lovely cologne that easily belongs to my top ten. Has the right projection and lasts very long.
Very classy.

8,5/10

instantjim
instantjim

I got this for Fathers' Day (thanks kids - it's amazing how you knew what I wanted - especially after I left a direct link under "my favourites' to it).

I am very happy with This fragrance! To me it is like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme meets Giorgio Beverly Hills. It is spicier than Paco Rabanne, but soapier than Giorgio. Patchouli, vetiver, leather, tobacco, woods and oakmoss make this a rich, deep offering, which is balanced by the floral heart. It doesn't last as long on me as either Giorgio or Paco Rabanne, but then they are both very long lasting powerhouse fragrances!

guest_PETE
guest_PETE

After 30 years this is still top notch.
I tried hunderds of perfums, but i allways come back to this one!

Finisterle
Finisterle

South American gentleman of European descent from the golden age of informal formal clubbing.

Pour Lui is blooming and yet formal like the male protagonists in classic films like Gilda.

It's too loud for today's t-shirt crowd. But if you want to separate yourself from them you couldn't find anything better for this amount of money. If you buy 3+ frag bottles a year you can buy this blind.

ShiseidoTactics
ShiseidoTactics

Esta es la fragancia más fuerte que he usado en mi vida (que yo recuerde). En mi clima (calido) no la puedo usar.

Extraño, siendo Oscar de la Renta dominicano.

Castor

Never buy it blind. Good as a curiosity: overpowering sweet anise opening - my opinion, other perfume aficionados claim they can not get any anise at all - drying down in leather.

What an astonishing review below. An amazing homage to a great fragrance...Bravo!!!

countbernadotte
countbernadotte

This Review is Really All About The Concentree Version.

Pour Lui is Oskar De La Renta’s classic men’s fragrance. Actually, by men’s fragrance standards, it is a late bloomer! I mean it went into service only in 1980, and that, in and by itself, is a very, very late date for a fragrance to be accepted into the annals of classicism. What it has had going for it to merit this venerable classification is that it competed well in a milieu of the legends of the time.

Its intensity, spiciness, longevity and sillage are in no small measure a typical representation of the taste of its golden era, it is undoubtedly an old-school powerhouse chypre: it is really big, smoky, leathery, full of dark notes and so rich on spices. It is what it is, without apologies. But much like Rabanne, Azzaro, Guy Laroche’s Drakkar Noire, and Dior’s Eau savage, it has stood the test of time with aplomb and élan. It still is a favorite component of many an aficionado’s wardrobes.

Pour Lui has an exhilarating effect on those who wear it as well as on those who are on the receiving end of it by those who wear it!... Have I lost you yet? Well, Azzaro has had a ball advertizing Pour Homme in these words: “ For men Who Love Women Who Love Men!”… Ergo, I haven’t really gone astray, have I?

I cringe when I hear the younger generation purporting that they love the classics in men’s fragrances, and would definitely wear them but for their extreme intensity, which is a sign of a time passé! This tells me that they have neither logic nor knowledge of chemistry! The intensity of a fragrance is, among many other factors, indicative of its degree of concentration.

So, you take a fragrance such as Oscar De La Renta Concentréé; a true marvel of a fragrance, and you wonder, how can such an elegant and a classy fragrance be so inexpensive? Now, add insult to injury, and ask: How could it be so intense and highly concentrated? Now, you hit a double whammy, I’ll explain.

We have agreed that it is a true class act, exhilarating and exuberant, so if you truly like it as you claim, all you have to do is wear it! Oh, but you don’t like its intensity; it is a reflection of time passé! … So, add pure ethyl ethanol (pure pharmaceutical grade grain alcohol) 1:1 by volume, and viola; you have a” modern-classic”, a true class act for one fourth of the cost! Duh!

Ten thumbs up! ….. You see, I count as five because my review is long!

dancam86
dancam86

My brother wears it and I don`t know why, he`s only 18 years old and this is a perfume that reminds me of my grandfather. I seriously do not find it pleasant, it`s so strong that it gives me a headache.
I do not have any idea of why someone would like to smell like this. Maybe it could be good for spraying it on a leather jacket, I`m gonna burrow it from him and try that...

fqjcior
fqjcior

Long lasting 80's powerscent, very rich, intense with huge - I mean huge - sillage. I wouldn't hesitate to name it a 80's definition scent. Aldehydes and floral notes dominate during first couple of hours. You have to be careful with using it - max 3-4 spritzes because more can cause headache I believe. I quite like it but I use it rarely - for special occasions, most in the evenings of Fall and Winter period.

knightz
knightz

I saw this in the store today on sale for less than half price. I was ready to buy it based on reviews I've read on the net. I was disappointed to find that it smells something like Halston 1-12 which I don't like very much. It's strong, long-lasting, and masculine but it, like 1-12 and Z-14, has a sour note that puts me off. It's a scent that is just so over crowded with different notes that it loses all it's appeal.

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta 4.16 out of 5 based on 326 ratings and 77 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Oscar de la Renta Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Oscar de la Renta Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.