Designers » N-Q » Woody Spicy « Groups

Oscar for Men Oscar de la Renta for men

Oscar for Men Oscar de la Renta for men
dislike

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta is a Woody Spicy fragrance for men. Oscar for Men was launched in 1999. Top notes are mandarin orange, fir resin, bergamot and pepper; middle notes are nutmeg, lily, lavender, jasmine, violet leaf, cloves and rose; base notes are leather, sandalwood, musk, balsam fir, vanilla and incense.

Mandarin Orange Fir Resin Bergamot Pepper

Loewe 7 Natural

Oscar for Men Fragrance Reviews

borys
borys

Well, the pepper in this one is VERY realistic and this is not what I prefer in a fragrance. This should have been called 'Extreme Pepper'. It is like when you add half of a pepper shaker into your food by mistake. You must be a pepper lover to like it.
I did not expect such a real pepper experience when blind-buying this one. I will try to finish it asap and then forget about it :-)

Maybe if I did not know it is a pepper note, I would like it (because the overall smell is great), but with that information in mind, I feel like the 1st pepper officer in the kitchen while wearing it.

wild gardener
wild gardener

One dimensional and mostly linear; white lily with pollen-laden stigmas, Formica table top, and a vanilla and musk undertone.

Actually not bad, and OK as an outlier to a wardrobe but it could get tiresome if over used.

The amount of Lyral in this juice makes it problematic on skin, so it would probably be better to spray it on cloth, occaisionally.

JeffB
JeffB

I found this at Ross for $19.99. For retail, I thought it was an excellent deal. I can't see wearing it frequently but it's so unique I will keep it and wear it from time to time. This is a powerful scent my friends and not for everybody. I get pine resin and pepper, a very strong fresh ground pepper. Imagine working up a sweat slicing lemons in the sun and then grinding pepper on these lemons when all of sudden someone comes up an slaps you in the nose with a wet, sappy pine bough. Something like that.

Very masculine, can't imagine a woman wearing this. I like it, bucks the modern trend of sweet, syrupy, aquatic, or bland. It is a bully!

Bee-young-ka
Bee-young-ka

(This review is from a feminie point of view.)

I bought this for my lover but keep borrowing it.

I'm a huge pepper fan and this is just great for pepper lovers who don't shy from a slightly masculine scent.
Pepper and lemony-bergamot that is very sheer in scent which is good because I do the dance of seven sprays with this stuff.

After a bit Fir comes out but the peppery note hangs around for a long time.

I think it passes the unisex test. Share and share alike.

frosty glass classic shape

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

Oh I like this! I'm a female and yes, there's the pepper. But this is such an interesting fragrance!
From the first blast of citrus, then pepper, then woody & spice. I don't think you get 'too much' of anything but a little of all of it & that is what makes it special. I can see why it would wear an Oscar name.
It smells elegant, different. Not the same ole, same ole. And while my better half wears fragrance only for special occasions, I do spritz some on the pillows & sheets. And because of the sexy blend of this on your skin, I spritz some on me as well.
It h as what I would call a more 'human' smell than most scents.
Good from the first spray down to the last fleeting wonderful whiff.
Bravo Oscar!

spartan
spartan

I Love this juice... Very Masculine Fragrance..No little boys need apply here.
Classic old school scent with A very unique twist.. must smell and wear to truly appreciate..A true original Masterpiece!
This would make A wonderful signature scent on the right Man...
Power Scent pure and Simple... Pups be warned an Alpha is Near.................

@Pepelevua

Chill down brother! :)

I see your signature scent is Le Male (from picture it's but when I visit your profile is Hanae Mori), obviously you like really sweet scents. So don't need to be so anarchistic with Oscar. For real, you are like a 15 swag boy who is just a wannabe star by having "mainstream" parfume and all the girls are falling down in knees in front of you. I get it, it's your opinion, but hold your horses, it's not like it is made for everyone...like this perfume was made only for you and your tastes.

P.S : My advice, as I said in my post, just wait 25 min ~ and after that smell it...even after that you don't like it, then it's not for your age or taste. Big deal, get over it fella!

Holy moly...

I won't write an essay about it, but...the combination of pepper with citruses and a slightly touch of vanilla makes this a gem! First spray, indeed the pepper is strong but don't say bleah untill ya wait like ~ 20 min and after that smell it again and go in front of a mirror, slap your face gently and say : "I've been wrong mister Oscar, forgive me!".

Sillage : mhhhm let's say on my skin 7.5/10.
Longevity : maybe, an 8.5 (~8-9h) on cold weather (autumn/winter 5-20C) and hot weather (spring/summer (25C +) an 7.5-8 (6-7h).
Smell : 9.5/10, it could be a bit better with peperry start in the beggining.

Just try it before you die!

A little update : The sprayer...yes, it's damn good to!

Tremere
Tremere

You want to smell like a pepper grinder? This is how you smell like a pepper grinder.

Darius A.
Darius A.

Must have. Freshness in a little bit unusual way. The way I love.

Scent 10/10
Silage 6/10
Longevity 6/10
Price 10/10

platinum14
platinum14

A great example of how all the ingredients that I enjoy can be used and manage to create a scent that I can't stand!

Joeri
Joeri

I use it once and a while in hot weather, but I don't care much for it. It's just an average summer thing. It's cheap and certainly not bad, but you're not misssing anything if you don't have it. But if you're on a budget and looking for some summer pepper, I would prefer it over the regular D&G Light Blue which I personally consider too highly priced for what it only is.

6opar
6opar

The initial 10-15 minutes are what makes this cologne interesting for me. A very solid and rich spicy-citrusy opening, with an woody touch.
But once the middle notes kick in i get a harsh aroma of rotten flowers that is quite unpleasant.
Fortunately this does not last long, and the clove (which i adore) steps in a for a few minutes to excuse the mess i just witnessed.
Then quickly and for a few hours it's all the same pepper-pine note but stripped down and flat.
Overall for me it's a miss,
**(***)

Ray Achnioach
Ray Achnioach

Pepper, pine n'pucker. I purchased this a few years back in a different shaped bottle, wide not long as pictured above. I hadn't used it for some time but really didn't remember why, just that it wasn't to my liking. I decided to give it a try again yesterday. It seems that quite a few reviewers here like this fragrance. I am not one of those. Oscar opens with a blast of pungent pepper, gets piney and then becomes very sour while retaining the previous scents. The sour scent is nothing like that of any natural smelling citrus, lemon, lime or the more exotic. The sourness is most likened to the odor of vinegar. This fragrance is powerful, however unfortunately has tremendous longevity. Once sprayed on unless removed in the shower you will be emiting a rather unappealing odor of pepper, pine and vinegar. I left it on for it's duration as I wasn't going anywhere and only writing an article, reading and returning phone calls. I already knew the fragrance wouldn't evolve further and was only testing the longevity. During the duration of the test I subjected the Oscar I had sprayed on myself to a (mature) female nose. The verdict was very negative. She replied "don't wear that one for sexy time". I am a mature gentleman and devotee of strongly scented classic men's fragrances not a youngster who enjoys the current batch of insipid fruity and unisex fragrances. Oscar is nothing like today's contemporary fragrances and is strong for sure but unfortunately to my tastes powerful in a very nasty way.

vonMises
vonMises

Sharp, spicy, woody, & citrus notes muted and subtly balanced on a nearly imperceptible, almost invisible cloud of vanilla. All combined in a miraculous, perfect elixir. This is not at all a vanilla scent, though, and would surely disappoint a gourmand seeker. I am a little more amazed every time I use this.

Palosanto

RIP Mr. Oscar de la Renta.

Thank you for all, including this beautiful cologne.

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

Very good blended, don't stay on Pepper very present a first, but it becomes fresher and flowery. Classy with a linen suit for a day work.

gr8daddyg
gr8daddyg

A very fresh, green scent. Top notes of fresh cut grass and a hint of black pepper. Very crisp and clean scent. I don't use it every day but it's in the weekly rotation, as I usually prefer warmer, musky scents, so this is a nice change of pace.

Daramigo
Daramigo

It is a very nice scent, sophisticated, original, masculine, some sweet, some fruity, distinctly woody, some floral. Delicately penetrating, but too weak. Its clear presence lasts no more than one hour, the rest of the time the fragrance will be only a faint sillage. I would recommend it to anyone who likes light perfums.

namak
namak

Bought it at Ross for $20. This is nice. Pepper and Citrus mostly. Refreshing and Clean. I mostly agree with all the previous reviews. However, I get absolutely no projection, even with 7-8 sprays. Longevity is below average too. Longevity is good on clothes.

Nice smell but no performance...at least on my skin, which is balanced..not dry or oily. Your mileage may vary, but I am surprised at the good to great longevity/projection some seem to be getting.

I am taking this one back.

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

The fir resin is the strongest note, though the pepper lies underneath and adds the most wonderful depth. There's a freshness, a barbershop soapiness that is so light you'll miss it unless you look for it, but when you find it the effect truly sublime. The perfumer who blended this is a genius considering the complexity of the notes, none of them cloy or overwhelm. It's a manly scent for summer, not a head turner but in the right circumstances it could excite.

ianannable
ianannable

A great woody spicy that can rival anything I have tried to date. It is a complex fragrance, that never gets boring. A mixture of green,spicy,floral and woody notes put together superbly. The way that the pepper stays prominent is a masterstroke.

A fab fragrance for a great price. Longevity 8+ hours. A must have for a collector.

Mancorp
Mancorp

When I wear this, which is not often, I feel like I'm radiating heat waves. Yes, the pepper and citrus are pretty intense. Bigsly hit on the head when he said that Oscar is one giant accord. It's a very distinctive accord, not likely to be mistaken for anything else. This is another one that I was quite excited about when I first got it but whose appeal has steadily diminished.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

One of the best fragrances (within this niche) for men that I know. I have worn it for years and returns to my collection periodically. Opens with a head-clearing wallop of citrus and pepper. The pepper lasts until the close of play. Spices and woods follow. Hints of nutmeg and floral notes round off this powerhouse of masculinity.

Loewe 7 Natural, and to a lesser extent Dunhill Edition (both great scents) are similar. But Oscar? Its the Daddy! A true original…et magnifique!

Meister
Meister

I tried this fragrance twice and I can say it's good masculine scent, especially for that price. First time I smelled fresh and cold aroma with a lot of conifers and it was great. I imagined the pine forest after the rain in a cold summer day. Then the woodsy notes came out and the fragrance became more sweeter. I smelled lavender, in my opinion a little bit synthetic, but it is insignificant disadvantage.
The second time I tried this fragrance the main role on my skin played the clove, which I like.
The longevity on my skin is moderate and the sillage is soft (after 1-1,5h it fades close to the skin).
To sum up I can say It's very nice scent with affordable price, definitely worth to try.

Jose Marcos

Last night after I changed the bed sheets I looked for a bottle I haven't worn in a long time or have stopped weraing it completely to spray the sides of the pillow and have a good night sleep. And almost blindly I got Oscar for Men, the last bottle behind all others. As soon as the spray hit the sheets I was reminded of how gorgeous OfM is. It seems that I forgot all about it. The beautiful citrus and pepper opening made magnificent by the fur, so manly and yet so temple divine, too. for me, Oscar for Men is about religion, temples, churches, Catholic churches, mass, rituals. The floral notes add a layer of delicacy and never feminine. The spices are warm and soft. But the best is yet to come. Incense and sandalwwod complete the scene, and it is really holly. One feels like a high priest in an ancient ritual, with the offerings going up to the skies helped by the incense. Because of these images in my head it is difficult for me to wear Oscar for Men so often. I need to be in tune with it and the circunstance also. That's why it's been way, hidden. It does not belong to this material world. Oscar is a first class male scent and there aren't many anymore today.

greg0rius
greg0rius

Liquid sex...

Aroma d'Latino
Aroma d'Latino

I am writing this review while I am using the last 2 sprays left in my bottle.

Oscar for Men is not easy to describe. This one opens very fresh with the citrus bergamot and lemon and then BaNg!! pepper all the way. I can still get the citrus in the back but the cologne slowly gets a very dominant peppery scent. The jasmine and sandalwood kick after perfectly blending a little bit behind the pepper and inviting the incense note to slowly join then finally setting in a smoky/woody + peppery drydown.

This one is definitely worth a try if you don't want to smell like the others and want to stand up from the crowd ruled by fresh aquatic scents. If you enjoy peppery scents like Marc Jacobs Bang or any earthy smoky/incense scents definitely must try.

For the rest, try before you buy. This is not a cologne for the ordinary man. Very different than the colognes found today. IMO this one is for adults 30 and up unless you have a refined sophisticated nose.

I really enjoyed this one, it's quite different than the rest but be careful when and where to use, many around wont like the pepper A must for spring and summer.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Very peppery turning into a blue aquatic pepper after 10 minutes. 10 minutes after that the aquatic disappears and runs full pepper til finish.

Jason Bogie
Jason Bogie

Living in a very hot climate,all the "summer" fresh frags evaporate as soon as you walk out the door. Oscar is one of those rare gems that keeps me fresh all day long .

yvankraft
yvankraft

The fact that this fragrance is not strong is precisely what makes it so sophisticated and adorable. Perfect for any time of the day, for any occasion. A perfume for a prince, really.

CGV
CGV

This is pure joy! I like things fresh yet sour and bitter! They really tend to invigorate to the utmost. Oscar is one like this. Perfect mix of fresh & sour! The citrus and the pepper play along nice while the nutmeg kicks in and gives it dept and personality. It also adds it with some sort of sweaty note to it but never disturbing. To me there is also a nice breeze of fresh sea air in this one which provides an ease to the whole composition. All year around scent, outdoors as well as office. Very bright, optimistic, natural personality and unmatched on the market, standing on its own feet. Has a bit of a classy touch therefore I would suggest an 30+ age for this one. A winner.

Chani.K
Chani.K

Wow! So many good reviews. I must try. RobbieX likes so it must be nice.

AZJeff
AZJeff

I received a new sample of this cologne. It smells citrusy at first and then comes the pepper. It's almost like some type of lemon furniture polish going in the wrong direction. I like the citrus part of this cologne but not combined with pepper. Eau d'Hadrien smells very close to this one, but without the pepper, at least not until it's drydown.

Demetrius
Demetrius

So Classy. Very,very nice... Only issue I have is that it does not last long on my skin.

robertodoi
robertodoi

To my nose, it is Quartz pour homme ( Molineux ) less fruity notes. Fresh but very floral. Could be more woody. Projection 7/10. Sillage 7/10. Longevity 7/10. Scent 8/10.

luktung
luktung

Another gem, from Maestro Oscar.
Why doesn't he make more perfums? He defintely has the nose for it.

eliweisz
eliweisz

Blind buy, based on positive Fragrantica reviews.

Opening: sharp, powerful, refreshing. Barbershop-style citrus with lots of black pepper.
Middle notes: 20 minutes, and here they are: violet leaves, jasmine and clove. Mixed with black pepper, of course.
Base: woody-smoky-leathery with some bitter tobacco. And pepper!
Sillage: quite strong in the beginning, weakening after an hour or two.
Longevity: a bit disappointing, about 5-6 hours. In the end of the day you're unable to find a trace of Oscar on your skin or cotton shirt but still can feel a smoky 'ghost scent' around you. Interesting, isn't it?
Overall impression: very elegant, complex, spicy, sugar-free cologne. Wearable everywhere and in every season. Affordable. Outstanding. Recommended!

hsuru4u
hsuru4u

peppery..apicy but very even keeled. I like the scent and find it somewhat similar to jaguar green bottle on one hand yet very different on anothe hand. I bit old school but sexy and manly. Still a hint of flowery,herbal, incense..with fir/ lavender...and some violet...very smooth and well balanced....not a silage monster but classy and sexy. The packaging and bottle are old school...a sleeper for sure. And for $17 for 3.3 oz its a deal at discount stores.I am having fun finding good fragrances for cheap at tjmaxx/ ross stores...its cool.

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

yes it's peppery, yes it's woody, but in such a smooth & silky way...very seductive imo...and for that price...you really...no really can't go wrong

Greg1965
Greg1965

This is a very good scent. It takes a while to get to the pine, but after that you have a superb frag. I just got it today and started with just one spray on the wrist to see how it would develope. I would place it beside Encre Noire Lalique.

andylil

original oscar from the 70s is much better - but i do not knoe where to get it. andylil

Sharks2431
Sharks2431

It is quiet strong. To be honest when I first received it did not like it....but....couple of sprays later and it started to grow on me! It is strong, masculine, different! Would not suit a spotty teenager, would suit a man in 30+ category

kleblanc863
kleblanc863

Seeing this in a discount dept. store for $17 for a 3.3oz made me curious. Never seen it, never smelled it. So, I hop on fragrantica and glad to see so many good vibes for this.
I was a little turned off by the floral notes. I do not like florals at all. But I like pepper, fir and cloves, so I got it anyway.

Really impressed! This is the most masculine floral I've ever put my nose on. Certainly refined and well blended. Feels really fresh, but verging on being too peppery. However, everything seems to compliment each other.

Overall, a great blind buy. I recommend giving this one a try.
Oh, longevity is pretty good and it evolves nicely.

RobbieX

This is so good. A lovely woody, peppery, floral scent. Longevity and projection are very good. Well blended too. Oscar is a lovely fresh refined fragrance from De La Renta. This is pretty unique and it's well up there among my favorites.

Jose Marcos

I have a sample of EN and for me it is not dark at all, it smells very sweety violet to me, I know sounds strange. What exactly one means by " more smokey " ? a very smoky fragrance but in anohter direction altogether, more church like, inocent sacrifice sort of vibe, is Oscar for Men, Oscar de la Renta. There is pepper, incense and f ir resin enough to make me want more and that's why I am trying to get some Hermes Rocabar. Again, O for Men nowadays smells like temple, like a lost and forbidden place few will comtemplate. Oscar makes you wonder where have you been all this time without coming across such a magnificent fragrance? A few days after I started wearing OfM I wanted all my bottles smelt just like it,and oh boy, what a let down. I still put some on only when I feel I am in the right mood and the wholle day is just a breeze from heaven.

voodoodanny
voodoodanny

I just can't help going back to this magnificent fragrance time and time again, and each time I do I seem to appreciate it a little bit more. A powerful, masculine opening of citrus, pepper and woods which takes you through the day, changing very little along the way other than a slight softening and maybe, just maybe, a touch of late balsamic, vanillic sweetness.

100ml of this can now be had for less than £15 but it punches well above its price bracket and, at the moment, is probably the closest thing I have to a signature scent.

Great projection and staying power: thumbs right up!

aucffan1
aucffan1

Oscar de la Renta has 2 great mens scents.. This and Por Lui... Very reasonably priced, decent sillage and decent lasting power...

I have to give thgis a solid 8.5 out of 10 stars.. Definitely a try it type scent.. hey for $20.00 you can't go wrong..

AbBlue
AbBlue

What a beautiful scent, you can place it beside any classic. Which is the best part? Oscar has no time; you cannot identify some decade's vibe. There's not much left to say, there are great reviews here, a blind buy with a great result, thanks to all you.
***
Una bella fragancia que puedes colocar a un lado de cualquier clásico ¿Cuál es la mejor parte? Oscar no tiene tiempo, no se puede identificar con el tono de alguna década. No hay mucho más que decir, hay algunas revisiones grandiosas aquí. Es una compra a ciegas con excelente resultado, gracias a todos ustedes.

word-doctor
word-doctor

In my quest to find non-aquatic, non-fruity scents appropriate for Gulf Coast heat and humidity, I bought ODL. Already have Lui, which I like but don't love. Ditto here. My first few wearings have been on our rare 70 degree/dry days. I find sillage average and longevity a little above.

Upon application I get a little too much sharp pepper/citrus for balance. It's a dry and bitter note, one that I like but that is a little strong for the first 30 minutes--I actually think it's the fir resin creating a near-acrid soapiness. Thereafter a much more interesting progression into nutmeg and some non-sweet florals. Drydown is exactly that: a dry, almost inorganic combination of incense, pepper and maybe a woody/leather accord at the very bottom.

This is an extremely classy, masculine, work appropriate frag. It won't ever be a signature scent for me but I like it and will continue to explore its nuances... and I think I'll like it more as I do.

Scent: 6+/10
Sillage: 6/10

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

If you like citrus chypres and fresh woody aromatics in that vein, you'll like Oscar for Men. This striking fragrance sits at a place equidistant from Cacharel Pour L'Homme and Marc Jacobs Bang. Darker and woodier than Eau Sauvage, spicier than Moustache, and ultimately a little more timeless in execution (you don't feel transported to any particular decade wearing it, unlike the other two which are time capsules to the fifties and sixties), it trends along the lines of greatness. Its brisk bergamot and elemi top note is fresh, green, and lacking the syrupy sweetness which was so popular at the end of the nineties, and in fact Oscar never becomes an Allure or Cool Water clone at all. Sweet and spicy elemi transitions to black pepper and hints of pine, with a beautiful undercurrent of nutmeg, cedar, violet leaf, and musk. Every note works with its neighbor in a harmonious smoothness and gentle grace that feels as easy and reassuring as it smells. Touches of helional and what seems like dihydromyrcenol become apparent in the further drydown. This is a fragrance every chypre lover should try. As pre-"Green" Michael Stipe said in "Voice of Harold" - A MUST.

LANIER
LANIER

“Can you imagine the sound it must have made?” I said almost to myself in the garden of the House of the Faun as I caught sight of Vesuvius over what remained of the ruined back walls of the villa.

“Or how frightened they must have been?’ My mother said as she came up beside me. She took my hand in hers and held it. She hadn’t done that for a long time. Not since I was a little boy. Not like that.

It was February 14, 1999, my mother’s birthday. My step-father had brought my mother to Italy on a tour with his old Alma Matter to celebrate her entry into her seventieth year. He had invited me along because since I was a boy I was fascinated with Pompeii and all things Roman. I was so enamored of the civilization that after the rains came to Southern California I would build roman cites in the wet adobe mud. They would bake in the sun until the other kids in the neighborhood found my roman cities and destroyed them. I called those children “the barbarians.”

Pompeii is deserted in February; it is the only way to see it. Our group of fifteen on the Cornell University Alumni tour was as it turned out on this chilly afternoon, the only living people in the entire city. As we wandered the remains of the House of the Dancing Faun our Italian guide explained that when the gardens of Pompeii were excavated the archaeologists found remains of the plants that had been living at the time Pompeii died. The remains were analyzed and all the gardens were replanted and look just as they did exactly 1920 years before. Almost the same as they had been that noon day in August when the city was full of people none of whom knew that there was a continent beyond the Pillars of Hercules that would one day be called America or for that matter what a volcano was. The guide explained that there is no word in Latin for volcano and that the Romans had no idea that Vesuvius was one.

After lunch we had a little free time and I told the guide I wanted to explore on my own. He gave me I had a half an hour before we were to leave and said we could meet up by the gate to the city. In agreement he volunteered to tell my parents where I had gone.

I strolled into the Forum and peeked into a warehouse full of objects found in the excavations. Rows of amphora behind a wrought iron gate, and in the center the plaster cast of a crouching man in the position he had been in at the moment that the pyroclastic flow from the mountain hit him.

Further on the garden courtyard of the temple of Apollo found me at its center. I took in a quick and deep breath of awe as I stood before the one remaining statue of the god. He looked from where I stood as though he was about to set the top of Vesuvius alight like an ancient lamp. The smell of the garden was soft and full of aromatic evergreens, cypress and a few very early plum blossoms. I closed my eyes and I could hear off in the distant voices murmuring on the edge of reality.

“Hello? Do you speak English?” I opened my eyes to see a beautiful young man standing under the statue of Apollo. “Are you lost?”

I smiled and told him no, that I wasn’t lost. I turned to point to the entrance of the temple courtyard.

“I am with my family and a group off…..” I turned back and he was gone. The wind came up from the sea and made a low moan as it pushed against the trees and through the columns of the portico. It was so sudden and strong that I staggered against it. The distant voices grew clearer. They were calling a name, my name.

What had just happened? Everything was suddenly intensified a thousand times, colors, sounds and most of all smells. I was flooded by the smell of, rich resinous fir trees and garlands of roses, jasmine and lilies, violet leaves as purple as the roman sea. I could smell the ancient market filled with oranges, nutmeg and cloves and a bright sharp dark Indian pepper that bit into my senses. There was leather and sandalwood from the humming workshops along the edges of the forum and the musky smells of pack animals entering the city. Above it all swirled the intoxicating heady aroma of temple incense. The perfume of the gods used to carry offerings and prayers to the very gates of Olympus.

I stepped back and reached out to steady myself against a marble column older than anything I had ever touched before. The voices were more urgent now that called my name seemingly over the centuries; backwards or forwards I could not tell. I walked to the gate leading to the street. Turned for one last look at the statue I shook my head to clear it.

“There you are!” My mother came up and swatted my arm. “Why did you wander off without telling anyone?”

“I did tell the guide.” I mumbled still in a fog.

The others in the group were laughing and my stepfather patted my back. “You gave your mother a scare.”

We walked through the city gates and down to the waiting bus that was to take us to Sorrento. I was seated next to our guide as the bus navigated the corkscrew that is the Amalfi road. He studied me with knitted brow and then smiled. “Something happened to you in Pompeii, didn’t it?”

“What do you mean?” I said.

His look was all knowing and warm. “The city remembers you. It happens sometimes. ”

Not until today when I first sprayed Oscar for Men my Oscar de la Renta did I think again of that moment in Pompeii when time slid away and I just may have met Apollo, the god of the Sun.

*************************************
Oscar for men opens beautifully and instantly transported me to the smell of Southern Italy and the gardens of Pompeii. The Top notes of this very masculine perfume are mandarin orange, fir resin, bergamot and pepper; middle notes are nutmeg, lily, lavender, jasmine, violet leaf, cloves and rose; base notes are leather, sandalwood, musk, balsam fir, vanilla and incense. It lasts on my skin for a good ten hours and the projection is immense. This is a spicy, woody incense blast that would do any roman emperor proud. It could fill the Flavian Amphitheater and eradicate any other offending smells of bloodstained gladiators, lions, senators or saucy prostitutes under the arches.

OSCAR FOR MEN five gold stars *****

herreroph

Smells really nice, this fragance is perfect for summer or daytime.
Good quality, Better price, yessss

will93
will93

I sprayed this on as soon as I un-boxed it today, and immediately stuck my nose up to my arm to sniff. Big mistake. The pepper opening is unbelievably strong - strong enough to almost burn your nose. However, move away a bit and the pepper smells less potent, and the bergamot is pleasantly smellable. The pepper will stay there right through to the drydown, but give it a bit of time from the opening, and the middle notes - especially the lily and lavender - will shine through. This perfume would be too cloying if worn in the winter; it is a fragrance suitable only for a hot summer's day, that is perhaps a little windy. That said, I don't think I've come across a fragrance that would suit such conditions better.
Longevity is good - 7-8 hours - and sillage is reasonably good.
8.5/10 overall.

This is good for warm weather and comes across as one huge accord, though thankfully not a "blob." I don't think I have ever encountered a scent that is this "tight" yet not blob-like. If you try hard you may be able to barely detect many of the notes, but it's mainly a peppery/citrus/woody. Vanilla may be present in the tiniest of amounts but this is not sweet and it's not soft. However, this is not like some of the strong wood scents that were released after 2000, probably because there are so many notes that counteract that dry, harsh, unremitting woody quality of those others (such as Celine Fever Pour Homme or Tumulte Pour Homme). It's a bit sour but rather pleasant overall, though I don't see it as an aficionado fragrance. It may be more of a perfume, meaning that one wears it to make a certain kind of impression on others. Did it get overlooked due to the fabulous Stardust for Men (2001), at least among aficionados (that one has many notes in common)? As others have said, if you like peppery/woody scents but found the recent releases to be too simple or harsh, this may be one to at least sample. One thing that is great about it is that there is no nasty "chemical" quality one finds in the iso e super overload ones that are so common these days.

UPDATE: Wearing it again, with low sensitivity, leads to this impressing me as a pine-oriented scent. The pine is not harsh, and the pepper and violet seem to give it more dimension, with other notes softening it up, but the pine stays front and center for a long time. Not long ago I was looking for just this kind of scent, if for no other reason than to use it for layering purposes, so now I can end that search! Blenheim Bouquet, by contrast, has more note dynamism and goes in a slightly different direction. Oscar is interesting, in that I can't think of another very similar to it, and it smells reasonably natural (though if you hate typical "fresh" aroma chemical this one might not be for you). The only "wow" factor, I think, will be for those who are seeking exactly what it provides, though it should work fine as a "conservative" office type scent for moderate/warm weather conditions.

herreroph

A classic scent, smells very nice and masculine.

fergali
fergali

I have found it in a discount store.Now i am using it.it is a different pleasant fragrance for summer.The dry down is great, 10 hours of longevity on my skin. it is a plus that not everybody knows this fragrance.

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

Elegance and character.
A convincing attitude with a complex and expensive quality message. This scent is stylish and discreet without loosing its personality. It is a multi-tone fragrance of pepper, wood and citrus with near perfect balance. The longevity is maybe on the short to moderate side and that is the only shortcoming to this almost perfect product.
A true winner for daytime use in the autumns by an intelligent selfconscious male of 30+. Modest toxicity.
Women really enjoy...

instantjim
instantjim

This is for guys who like peppery woods. It's hard to imagine how much more peppery a fragrance could get. This is a masterpiece, an uncompromising nasal assault (in a nice way). The fragrance lasts well and has a fresh, uncongested aspect that serves to amplify the central spicy theme.

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Modern, fresh, woody-spicy. Of course that could describe a lot of fragrances these days.

Oscar is very refined and well put together. A spiciness is present throughout the scent life, which doesn't dominate the scent's nature, instead lending a bit of character. There is a smoky edge to the woods in the base, with a bit of soft incense and resin mixed in which make for a sexy yet discrete drydown. The pine note is light and fresh, giving the whole scent a slightly airy, clean demeanor. Contains no overt sweetness which is common to most modern woody-spicy scents. A big plus. Overall well-blended and put together.

Projection is not amazing, but this scent does not aim to stand out.

Top-notch juice at a decent price. For the well-groomed man.

Slayerized
Slayerized

This woody spicy fragrance is, for me, a very complicated one!
After reading all reviews I see that many say different things about it as well, which confirms my thoughts.
I own it now for a year and start liking it more and more and more! I am very sensible for black pepper and the oil of this spice is exactly what is used a lot in this fragrance! I can smell the delicious smell of black pepper for hours in this fragrance. It is surrounded by all kind of notes. Cloves and nutmeg on the background, light citrus and neroli surrounding the spices, flowers coming in during the heart stage and a base of leather, sandalwood, musk, balsam fir, vanilla and incense! Impossible to detect all these notes as they are so well blended with the spicy notes! This is a great casual outdoors fragrance for the spring and early summer and can also be worn during the fall imo! I saw a comparison to Cacharel pour l'homme in a review and if that is so (it was cause of the nutmeg) this is Cacharel's BIG brutal pepper brother living far away. Both very good frags in their own way however! Sillage is huge, first hour, and longevity is like 6 hrs. Very good and thumbs way up! Rated: 8/10

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

very balmy and citrusy. It's a mature scent for sure, but I like more mature fragrances. It starts off very citrusy, but it's a sandy/powdery/citrus I smell. Reminds me of grapefruit, the kind of citrus note thats present in Jaguar for men on opening. I would even go as far as to say that this kind of reminds me of Jaguar for men, but much lighter. If there was an undertone of vanilla or cacao in this stuff, it would be in my top 5. It's good though, and I picked it up at Ross for $20. I recommend for someone 30+ or someone who likes powdery cyphre scents.

pob75
pob75

Worn this 8-10 times and still can't really make my mind up about it. I seem to notice some aspects and notes more on different wearings. It is undoubtedly well made, nicely balanced, very natural smelling and unusual/unique.

It initially starts quite fresh with some citrus, a lot of pepper, a bit of spice and some green-ish notes. Quite quickly it develops an undertone of fresh sweat. NOT a B.O. unpleasant stale smell, and NOT an animalic smell, more of a good-honest-hard-work-sweat on a clean man. This sweaty note persists for most of the duration. Sometimes it puts me off, sometimes not. I think it might be partly the nutmeg note.

Later on it develops a quality which I can only describe as vegetable-like. Reminded me of courgettes with a bit of spice. A vegetal/herby/damp forest sort of smell. Smells nicer and fresher than that description would suggest - NOT an earthy, stale or mouldy smell. Not unpleasant but I sometimes find it a bit odd. Later still I notice the pine notes more and more. I don't get much in the way of florals or leather in this.

It lasts and projects quite well for 8+ hours, after which the projection rapidly fades off and by 10 hours it is just a weak skin scent that has almost disappeared.

For me this is probably a daytime/casual scent. I wouldn't wear it in the height of summer or very hot weather. I will keep wearing this as I find it interesting and think it may grow on me. There is a lot to sniff here and I suspect everyone will focus on different aspects. It's definitely worth a test - I think you have to experience this one yourself a few times to get an idea of what it's like.

ericrico
ericrico

I bought this a while back and waited for warmer weather to wear it as I had a bottle back when it was released (sometime in the early 2000's) and adored it! There are two fragrances Oscar de la Renta has made for men, this and Pour Lui. This sat on my shelf in cellophane from a few months ago when I made purchase of 4 or 5 fragrances from a great seller I know - all of which I wore since at least once. Why did I wait?

Well, my memory of this fragrance (about a decade ago) was of late Spring and Summer - warm weather, sunshine and great lifted notes that radiate. The sun came out yesterday after days of rain. Today, it started cloudy and I was considering my SOTD - then the sun peaked through and I looked up...blue skies ahead! It hit 72 degrees fahrenheit yesterday - today, a touch cooler is predicted. But, this will be perfect.

I applied a nice full application about 10 minutes ago and have been smelling myself while typing...and thinking back. What a gorgeous, original scent. Nothing has ever smelled like it over the years - this is, in a word, stunning.

Oscar for Men starts with a bright and beautiful peppery-citrus infused opening. Imagine slicing bergamot, lemons and oranges and grinding fresh pepper over the top of the fruit and then allow the smell to waft up to your nose. On the tray, this array of peppered citrus sits are branches of fresh-cut pine...those notes come in at about 10-15 minutes. This is what I remember - no other scent I have smelled in all my years touches on this blend so gorgeously! You have to smell this opening - it is worth the price of the bottle...but, it only gets better.

That note in the composition is elemi, a wonderful aromatic resin from a tree native to the Philippines. Ironically, the country it comes from has the word "pine" in it and elemi is described as "a fragrant resin with a sharp pine and lemon-like scent". It has also been used in other fragrances that I love and have this special note. Gorgeous and rare.

Then, some fresh-grated nutmeg is sprinkled into the composition (not too much for me at all - I agree with knightz, excellent review!), as I find it blends perfectly with the distinct clove note. If you have ever smelled fresh, whole cloves, then you will know what this note is. The cloves, however, along with the fir transcend seemlessly into a nice light bouquet of florals (no single flower is too dominant here - again kudos to knightz), but the violet leaf is a great addition to the florals...in essence, the "fragrant" greenery added to a nice spring bouquet. Beautiful, but not too pronounced - it is seamless.

The fir note and pepper at the top with the clove and nutmeg in the heart all lead to the base that will win virtually anyone over who has an affinity for incense in their fragrance. This is a light incense - not heavy or burning. Very natural...not headshop or heavy. A lifted note that is one I adore. It is like smelling a blend of incense cones that is flavored with florals, pine (again, from the elemi), vanilla & sandalwood. I have a large collection of incense and burn it regularly...sometimes to match notes in the composition of my fragrance. Sounds strange, but to smell an accord diluted in alcohol on your skin now in plumes of smoke in the air - you have both liquid and fragrant, ethereal, airy aromas combining - very aromatic and excellent for meditation or just serenity and pure olfactory enjoyment. I found the key is to burn the incense in a room (or two away). You don't get the smokiness, but you get the smell more naturally. It is spiritual and very natural.

I don't get any leather here - until the very end, and it is more of a soft suede...almost more of a "feel" that you get from the fragrance rather than a note. Hard to describe, but once you wear it - you may understand my perspective.

Never heavy - that is why I see this as warm weather and that is when I initially wore it. My wife (as this is a surprise for her) will remember this on me...it was special.

And while the longevity is not that long on my skin, it's because I love the richness of the top and middle so much - I find myself re-applying sooner than maybe one should. It does last, however, much longer and develops differently on fabric. I recommend applying to both skin and your shirt in a full-wearing. This never gets cloying. It truly is fantastic and invigorating. There is so much happening in this bottle!

A final nod to Knightz - "Graceful. Refined. Elegant." I will add that I absolutely love this fragrance - not just like. MisterCrazyLegs...I agree with you, Oscar de la Renta for Men is a true "treasure" and something very special. It is an incredibly well-made, chic and sophisticated scent that only someone who is confident can wear. I was confident when I first wore it (and it made me feel incredible) - and I feel even better today, because I understand the scent even more over the years.

I will wear this year-round, but it will definitely be in my regular rotation this Spring and Summer (especially summer evenings) - both casual and formal! A wonderful, well-composed unique fragrance that seems to showcase different notes each wearing...but always fantastic.

No score as I cannot attribute a fractional value to the pure pleasure of this fragrance...Oscar de la Renta is uncompromising in his taste of creating timeless fragrance, so I will not compromise and give a mathematical equation to judge it.

Salud!

jtappenden
jtappenden

Just purchased today.A fabulous,refined & exclusive fragrance.Absolutely superb in every aspect.

nando80
nando80

I personally didn't like this scent.. I usually like woody smoky smells but for some reason this cologne didn't do it for me.. On the other hand I gave it to my Dad and he really liked it.

Avecesar
Avecesar

This very elegant fragrance is absolutely delicious with excellent sillage and longevity !It is quicky becoming one of my favorites ; my wife loves it too .
I just wonder how could I have missed this one for so many years .....

Palosanto

This is the kind of fragrance that elicits a "Wow! What's this?" In a good way, of course. A very sharp citric/peppery opening (elemi?) which makes you think about pencil shavings mixed with lime and black pepper (!). Then, it transitions into a masterfully blended combination of incense, nutmeg and fir, with the citrics and a slightly perceptible floral note lingering all the way to the end. Very manly and refined. Absolutely wonderful.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

A very spicy peppery scent.
Ancestor of Marc Jacobs' Bang.

andylil

i bought o.de la renta for men 20 years ago and it was my favourite. I always ask for it everywhere I go but it does not seem to exist anymore.It was not like the one they have now. it was very spanish, warm , big and spicy. do you know if it still can be found?

RobbieX

A lovely woody, spicy, floral scent. Longevity and projection are very good. Well blended...it's a lovely fresh refined fragrance from De La Renta. I haven't smelled anything quite like this gem. This has pure class!

jazz444
jazz444

Starts off promisingly with a palmarosa/green nod, but quickly turns into a nutmeg nightmare. It continues to radiate nutmeg for hours and turns sweaty. Such a disappointment.

My father actually owns this, but being a 60 year old Australian male, wearing cologne is seen as being homosexual. Thank god the younger generation of Australian men think differently.

There's nothing overly unique about Oscar for men, however it is very fresh and quite likable. Very summery, in my opinion, just light enough to wear casually on a warm day.

The opening, although primarily citrus (my least favourite smell), is very masculine and refreshing. I'm not sure what it is but I really do love citrus scents worn by men, however on myself and other women, I can't say the same.

Oscar for Men is actually quite a complex and well structured fragrance. This isn't a sweet fragrance, however the notes may suggest otherwise. It's purely masculine, not a single hint of femininity, a woman could never pull this off.

knightz
knightz

I picked Oscar for Men, over Pour Lui, even though Oscar is a slightly lighter scent than it's much older brother.

The opening is a burst of Bergamot and Mandarin sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper. Even with a generous application the opening is not too strong, average projection.

Within a few minutes the peppery citrus starts to get some new spice to it, light nutmeg and very light clove. Right along with the new spice is a fresh flowers accord of Lily, Lavender, Jasmine, and Rose. There is not a single floral in this that has been over-emphasized, even the fresh Rose is subdued and just barely noticeable. The combination of the fresh, still green, florals really smells like a bouquet from a quality florist, it does not smell synthetic.

With the flowers stealing the show for about half an hour, it's masculinity is kept in check by the spice and the beginning of the already upcoming base notes. As the base emerges there is a resinous Fir note, some Leather, and light Sandalwood. If I try to detect sweetness in Oscar I only get very light Vanilla, barely noticeable, it is not a sweet scent. The Vanilla seems to be mixing with the fading nutmeg. Near the end of it's somewhat short life, the Fir and Sandalwood dominate, to my nose.

For me, the longevity is a little on the short side. After 3 hours it moves in close. By 4 hours I would need to re-apply.

I like Oscar for Men. Graceful. Refined. Elegant.

star10
star10

not an ordinary soupy fragrance,but too spicy at first and then I just recognize pine and it's overwhelming.

Coriander
Coriander

In my skin, the citric at the start are cool and delicious, but they fades soon and initiates the phase of "wooden smoke" (maybe, nutmeg/lavender/violet leaves?) that a long time lasts. Finally, it appears the incense and the leather. In my opinion, an elegant and discrete fragrance.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Oscar de la Renta Oscar for Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Oscar de la Renta Oscar for Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.