Designers » N-Q » Floral « Groups

Ruffles Oscar de la Renta for women

Ruffles Oscar de la Renta for women
dislike

Ruffles Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures

Ruffles by Oscar de la Renta is a Floral fragrance for women. Ruffles was launched in 1983. Top notes are aldehydes, orange blossom, green notes, fruity notes and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, iris, orchid, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are honey, sandalwood, musk, civet, vanilla, caramel and cedar.

Aldehydes Orange Blossom Green Notes Fruity Notes Bergamot

Carnation Tuberose iris Orchid Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Honey Sandalwood Musk Civet Vanilla Caramel Cedar

Ruffles Fragrance Reviews

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Before experiencing Ruffles, if I had accidently sumbled upon this review for it and saw the title and the notes, I wouldn't have been able to get off of the page fast enough. However, for Christmas my mother sent me a cache of vintage scents she'd found in an antiques store and ruffles EDT was among them. This morning I am wearing it. The first notes (for me) are creamy, fruity white florals and while fruity floral is NOT a favorite category for me, in this case it's fine because of the supporting notes that quickly follow, like the honey and other florals with an oakmoss note. Oakmoss isn't listed, but it there and it makes the scent veer off into chypre territory which was unexpected and most satisfying for me. This scent definitely has a 1980's aesthetic, in that it's crammed with lots of big notes that seemingly shouldn't be together (caramel and civet?), but somehow the way it's blended makes it work. Strangely it reminds me of Deneuve, but with some slightly fruity notes added.

mixedmediav
mixedmediav

Ruffles was one of the first expensive, designer fragrances I bought and oh how I LOVED it. I really wish they would bring it back because like others, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Does anyone know of anything that's still in production that has a similar scent?

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

This is a beautiful perfume, and is, to me, the epitome of warm elegance. Aldehyde heaven for those who love that sort of thing; I personally do.
The heart of this perfume is characterized by a sweet, warm, honeyed, slightly green but golden floral. If I presented imagery with this I would say that it beautifully captures the golden late summer, early autumn days in August and September, heading into fall. I can see a schoolteacher wearing this, in her dress and sweater, walking down the aisles and leaving a trail of scent. Or the mother-of-the-bride in an autumn wedding, dressed elegantly in deep brown taffeta. Those are the images this lovely scent brings to my mind.

If you love aldehydes and the truly "perfumey" scents of the past, yet want something modern enough for today, this is probably one you would enjoy.

fawnmarie
fawnmarie

First let me say that I love the name of this perfume. Ruffles...they couldn't have dreamed up a more feminine, extravagant name. I bought this fragrance around 1991 at Perfumania. I liked it because it was so different, and now I realize that the sweet honey notes were what made it shine. This is really a complex scent. The sweet honey is tempered by spicy carnation, I even smell cinnamon. This is not for everyone, you must really appreciate a "different" fragrance. This is not a mainstream floral. It is incredibly feminine, dare I say...glamorous? I picture a very pretty '80s pageant queen dabbing this on after she has put on her fancy taffeta dress. It's all about extravagance. I wish I could find this spicy-sweet jewel!

Museumgal
Museumgal

Oh wow those aledhydes! They run right over the first few minutes of this scent and they're very strong, I can see how some would be turned off. However if you can wait about 15 minutes they fade and there's a delicious fruity floral dipped in honey heart. This is so wonderful and warm I'm rather confused as to why it starts with such green notes, seems like the opening notes should be part of a different composition. The honeyed florals are divine in the heart with just a little sweetened fruit. A bit of spice and warmth, but the sweet honey lasts all the way through. This one lasts very well, 6 hours plus. Almost gourmand without being too sticky sweet. It's really excellent if you can get through the first part, I don't mind aledhydes or green notes normally but they are super strong here and distracting from the rest of the notes.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

I managed to find a vintage mint condition mini parfum of this at a very reasonable price on a trading site - the initial blast is very similar to EL's private collection a strong hit of rose and oakmoss (which doesn't appear to be listed) and a strong whack of hairspray like aledhydes, I get the honey and a little bit of the caramel/orange blossom in the dry down and some spicy plum and lots of ylang-ylang. This is the most similar fragrance I have found in my quest to replace my beloved 'Valentino vendetta' This dries down to a lovely mix of Spellbound and Ysatis on my skin but closely resembles Vendetta and Ungaro Diva in many aspects. I would love to find a larger bottle of this one It is one of those classic 80's hits that I just seem to love.

PrinceRobbie
PrinceRobbie

Don't take this the wrong way but Ruffles reminds me of the smells that waft out of a hair salon. Not really in a bad way. Salons are full of fresh smells and such but there is also a chemical feel. Not too overpowering. The scent settles rather quickly and sits softly on the skin.
Not many people could smell it on me, some even mentioned the fact that I wasn't(!) wearing anything to which I had to correct them.
To be honest, I don't know what really stands out. Maybe the honey? Unless my nose was just messed up yesterday, I don't remember much of the fruity smells. Something is bringing this scent down. I do really enjoy it but I can't place my finger on it. Too bad it was discontinued, I may have searched for a full bottle!

celebrity89
celebrity89

A classy "vintage" type citrus. Reminiscent of Acqua de Parma, O de Lancome, ect...

Update: I now notice how this starts as a sunny Georgio, then turns spicy like Cinnabar. A little old fashioned.

musictwig
musictwig

One of the first scents I loved - I think my sister bought it for me so I'd stop using her perfume!

florencia
florencia

When I was a Teenager i had a mini bottle, and a gentleman a little older said me: darling you smell so beautiful like a garden after rain, i lived in a small town where the weather is hot

Rhonni
Rhonni

Best fragrance ever I wish along with lots and lots of others that Oscar de la Renta would bring this fragrance back

Loligurl
Loligurl

Gentle, classic floral. I lived with my paternal Grandmother as a teenager-she didn't allow make up or most perfumes, but actually liked this one. Probably because there's something very "natural" about the scent. A bouquet. Pretty and virginal. Found a small inexpensive bottle on eBay. The carnations really stand out on my skin- I like it- it's an ingredient I don't smell in many perfumes and enjoy something a bit different. There is also a slight undercurrent of something sweet- is it vanilla? In any case, not overwhelming, the floral is definitely out front. I like this perfume very much and it's a shame it's discontinued. A soft floral refined enough for a mature person to wear. Quiet enough for office use, but lasts for several hours on my skin.

maryco036
maryco036

One of the first smells to hit my nose on this one was the smell of pickles. How, I don't really know. But somehow those top notes spiked into something sour and unpleasant, for me. As a perfume, the middle notes are currently making me feel overwhelmed by how powdery they are. Powdery smells often smell artificial and old to me. Perhaps they were once a classic, but now they just seem manufactured instead of natural. The florals are sweet enough to be acceptable, but I often find aldehydes make a perfume almost stale and too old fashioned to be worn by today's woman.

W for worn-out.

Lylleee
Lylleee

I requested a sample of Ruffles Type perfume oil from The Scent Factory and it is very close. I then placed an order for a 2 ounce spray and a 1 ounce roll-on. I received them today and I am very pleased. The prices seem reasonable too. The webstie address is: thescentfactoryonline.com
I wish Oscar would bring this back but at least I have discovered this close one! If you choose to give it a try at least you can get a sample before you purchase.

Angel10
Angel10

I love this stuff! I only had a tiny one on high school, but I used it up in a hurry! One of the most interesting sweet florals, which I find to be very rare! I don't usually like florals because they often seem boring & lacking in depth.

This one is not.

Reminds me a little of Bulgari pour Femme, but this one is MUCH MUCH better...I think more powdery & woody & rich...Bulgari is more one-dimensional than this.

I have bought it on ebay, and I'll let you know if anything has changed!

Update May 17/11: Sad. Maybe this has turned, as it is much darker than I remember as well. It smells nothing like I remember either. I remember it smelling much lighter & fresher, but stronger at the same time.

Maybe I should try again & buy another, but I am just leaving it for now.

Fumatic
Fumatic

I have been searching for this one for years. Please bring it back!

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

I agree with everything previously said here. Ruffles was an exquisite perfume and in one of the classiest falcons I have ever owned. The fragrance was delicious but not in a gourmand way. It was all about the flowers, but not overly sweet. Something in the base notes, perhaps the honey and sandalwood, made all the other notes come together in perfect harmony. I miss the fragrance. It had class and brought many admirers my way. If we ask nicely maybe Oscar will bring this one back.

guest_Sydney
guest_Sydney

How ironic,

I thought I was one of the very few who felt this way about this parfum. I have never found another scent that works so well with my body chemistry or smells so wonderful without being cloying or overpowering.

I wish that Oscar De La Renta would start producing the parfum again in a reasonable size. The minis just don't quite cut it for me. I don't want something cute to keep on my dressing table, I want a parfum to use daily.

Trinity
Trinity

Oh, yeah…..this fragrance takes me back! My sister gave me this fragrance on my birthday in summer 1984. (I was visiting my sis back then in Miami and it was my first stay in this beautiful sunshine state). It was my first real perfume and it smelled so gorgeous! My sister bought it for herself later too and we got our mom one bottle as well as a gift.

“Ruffles” smelled heavenly! Soft, floral, very tender and oh so feminine! This is truly one of the most beautiful perfumes I ever have smelled!

Like a long lost love, I am constantly looking for a smell similar to “Ruffles”, but it seems, I cannot find it anywhere! Forever imprinted in my memory, this fragrance will be treasured for as long as I live!
It is truly a shame that they discontinued “Ruffles”…..I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Ruffles by Oscar de la Renta 3.92 out of 5 based on 68 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Oscar de la Renta Ruffles fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Oscar de la Renta Ruffles, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ruffles by Oscar de la Renta. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ruffles by Oscar de la Renta represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.