Designers » N-Q » Floral Green « Groups

Volupte Oscar de la Renta for women

Volupte Oscar de la Renta for women
dislike

yellow floral
Volupte Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Volupte Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures Volupte Oscar de la Renta for women Pictures

Volupte by Oscar de la Renta is a Floral Green fragrance for women. Volupte was launched in 1992. The nose behind this fragrance is Sophia Grojsman. Top notes are mimosa, melon, mandarin orange, freesia, osmanthus, watermelon and cyclamen; middle notes are carnation, jasmine, heliotrope, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, narcissus, lotus and peony; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, incense, tuberose and vanilla.

Mimosa Melon Mandarin Orange Freesia Osmanthus Watermelon Cyclamen

Carnation Jasmine Heliotrope Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Narcissus Lotus Peony

Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Incense Tuberose Vanilla

Jaipur
Tresor
Bvlgari Pour Femme

Volupte Fragrance Reviews

BaWika
BaWika

It was the first perfume my mum was ever given, and it was from my father. It takes me back to when I was a small child, being hugged by my mother when she was picking me from kindergarten. This scent if it would be a person, it would be a strong, mature, decisive woman that is warm, open, not overly optimistic but always uplifting the mood. I could not wear it, I am way too young, I still have to get more mature as it is a complex scent and I wouldn't say universal, not all will be able to appreciate it.

gtabasso
gtabasso

Got a big full bottle for $4.99 at the thrift store. HATE it. This is a cheap, modern fruity floral that is more fruit than floral. It dries down like all the other common, popular scents for young women nowadays. Nothing deep, rich, old world, special or memorable. Scrub. I see why it was at the thrift store.

alchimia72
alchimia72

So beautiful, so sunny, so smiling Grojsman's creature. Love, love and love. It begins with a fruity note of melon, I detect also a minty note not present in the pyramid. After that it changes to a floral composition with a note of violet (maybe the heliotrope?), or violet leaf so delicious and elegant. I have the edt and after 12 hours I can still smell it. Eccellent discovery of Sophia's genius. I prefer it to Tresor.

zyby
zyby

I hadn’t worn VOLUPTE for awhile and had almost forgotten how pretty it is. (I have the vintage EDT and I don’t know if any reformulations have taken place.)

The initial notes are just a touch sweeter than I prefer, but the dry-down is lush and lovely with a subtle undercurrent of warm spiciness. As the hours go by, I can detect more of the spice and a bit of the sandalwood, but the floral notes are dominant for me. I don’t pick up much of the fruit notes. Sillage and longevity are significant.

This is a fragrance full of spring flowers, but it reminds me of a scented breeze on a summer evening. VOLUPTE is romantic and a little dressy, however, special occasions and formal attire are not required. In fact, I wore it yesterday just to celebrate the nice spring weather.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Sophia Grojsman called "Picasso" in a Perfumery World, for her ability to create something unique from seemingly simple notes. I remember years I was running away from all her peaches after Tresor, ha! Those times long gone.
Now I am religiously gathering all her babies, loving every single one and can't stop to be amazed by her talent.
I applied Volupte with head deep down in my shoulders and holding eyes closed tightly, as I hate melons/watermelons in fragrances, but it was Grojsman after all, so I thought "whatever, let it be!", and oh YES, that was it, HUGE yellow mimosa flowers, tickly, zesty, elevating and shining. It is like mimosa with all greenery of brunches and leaves, you leaving trails after yourself, like wearing bright yellow scarf behind your shoulders, the smell is flowing, circling, surrounding you and makes people wonder. It has this floating green layers of mimosa, bitter spicy one from narcisse and carnation, velvety from lotus and peony and something really ozonic-fresh, so even if you will not stand outside with fresh wind in your face, you will still FEEL that wind, even in dark room with blinds shut. Amazing!

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Paradise Perfume. The first few minutes I smell sweet and juicy fruits like watermelon and melon. Once it gets into the heart I smell heliotrope, mimosa, ylang-ylang. The overall effect is that of a more elaborate and detailed fruity floral scent. It's beautiful, it's sweet, feminine, heady, intoxicating and delicious. I have the EDP which sells on Amazon. I believe this is the reformulation and the only way to smell the original is to get the little miniature bottle splash bottle. I have that one too but do not notice that many differences except the the splash bottle has more incense. This is an amazing perfume. It's similar to those powerful fruity florals from the 80s and 90s like Amarige by Givenchy, Azzaro 9 and Lancôme's Tresor. Gorgeous gorgeous fragrance. The other day I wore it on a date and the guy was loving it on me.

lindley
lindley

At first two sprays of this was completely overwhelmingly powerful, almost off putting, yet with a weird beauty that was both earthy and unearthly. Eventually it settled, and rich sweet amber and fruits came out, more restrained and approachably beautiful, but still with that white floral and incense buzz.

Just worlds away from all the perfumes I am trying on and confusing with each other these days.

Love it or dislike it? To be honest, I need to familiarise myself with it more to be sure. But i am very pleased to make this scent's acquaintance. I won't forget it.

Vivavoice
Vivavoice

Panting with anticipation after these really wonderful reviews. I love perfumes that evoke such magical and sometimes healing emotions! This was made the year my son was born. Never saw it at the time, but then I wasn't looking like I am now.

I just ordered a 100ml bottle on Amazon for an incredible price of £15.15. It was meant to be..... come to me Volupte!

Le_Coeur_Gothique
Le_Coeur_Gothique

How does yellow smell?
To me it smells like Volupté, for Volupté is a million suns burning in a bottle, blooming like yellow and white incandescent cosmic flowers, embroidered in the huge dark canvas of the space between the stars.
Most of the time we tend to forget that down-to-earth matters are still floating in a microscopic speck of cosmic dust swirling in the most farflung rims of a rather tiny galaxy.
If there was some fictitious fusion between the sci-fi and cloak and dagger genres, this would be the treasure waiting for the audacious adventurer in the end.
This is what Conan the Barbarian would risk his life for, in order to seize it from its rare earth august pedestal, facing either monstrous sentinels or grids of death rays all the way.
And while its abstract shape would have probably looked incomprehensible to his barbaric mind, the walnut-sized emerald on its top, beaming mesmerising memories of dense humid forests and lost cities, would have made it irresistible to his ravenous eyes.
I can't decide whether its bottle depicts a very primitive or a highly stylised bust of some long-forsaken goddess.
In its golden fathomless depths I can see the voluptuous charms of a barbarian queen ruling on some lush corner of an exo-planet, totally unaware that she's been monitored by eyes coming from thousands of light-years away. Eyes belonging to a deep-space plunderer named something like Carmen Sandiego, whose scent is oscillating like a pulsar for all eternity. Volupte is both these women and each of them is fiercely tantalising in her own unique way.
And while its top notes are scorching supernovas wreaking effulgent splendour on the dark and frozen extremities of the macrocosm, its base note is tears shed for something dear and long gone. And although you can hardly recall what it was, its absence still ravages your heart.
Somewhere in the background a melancholic voice is singing:
"For a moment you could not recall the colour of her eyes..."
And I stand terrified by the unbearable veracity these words are carrying.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

VOLUPTUOUS

A fragrance of pure luxury. This perfume has it all: Flowers, Fruits, incense, amber, sandalwood. If you study the composition of this perfume you learn everything you need to know about what a fragrance should be. First of all I love heliotrope so I always seek out fragrances with heliotrope. This is a Sophia Grosjman perfume and I love her creations. This starts fruity but not in the fruity way we think of as cheap fruity perfumes today. It's a table at a banquet hall where elegantly dressed heads of states, royalty and diplomats are dining - on fruits. Watermelon, melon, oranges and mimosa drinks. Mimosa is usually found in fragrances that contain citrus because it's similar to that orange smell just like orange blossom. The same banquet table has been adorned with flowers and they are: narcissus, lotus, peony, heliotrope, carnation ylangylang jasmine and lily of the valley. Without the fruits, this could easily pass for a Chanel or perhaps a well made classic Estee Lauder. I can't tell you how much this fragrance means to me. I wear it to feel confident as some fragrances can tend to do that. I work hard so that I can spend my money on surrounding myself with beauty: flowers, home decor beautiful designer clothes and perfumes. Fragrance is like the icing on the cake of my life. And this little beauty is a huge trophy of a perfume. I highly recommend it. This is even better than Oscar de La Renta's first perfume Oscar. This is another masterpiece by Sophia Grosjman. I recommend her perfumes to all women. Every woman is a flower and her perfume is her fragrance.

Jmalone84
Jmalone84

Asinya, honey, with respect, beauty is not important unless it comes from within. Don't be pathetic, if you don't like your life then change it. Your fate is not immutable, you can change it at any time. You're only 33 forgodsake, that's nothing! The only thing you have is now. Why should you not have hope? You decide what's right and good, and what life you want after all, and who says you're not beautiful? You decide. Jeez. But thanks for your review, I will get Volupte, I love the name. Will post review presently. Anyhow, message me if you wanna talk :) and that applies to everyone too xx

megenz
megenz

100ml EDT

Volupté, French for 'sensual pleasure'.

Bought a bottle of this for my grandmother for Christmas. I lasted two weeks before I broke and claimed it for myself. Oscar is so brash on my skin but Volupté is just scrumptious!

I'm lost in its beautifully soft, romantic roundness and muted sweetness. Not much a melon fan but I feel as though the melon note gives a sense of depth and maturity to this frag (and without having read about it, I would never have picked it myself).

An all ages gal, Volupté, and I feel as those who are chasing an air of sophistication and balance in their lives would be most attracted to this gorgeous lady. An excellent choice for someone chasing a quality, romantic scent on a smaller budget (romantic without being open-for-business sexy ;) ).

I should state,though, that she only lasts about two hours before requiring a reapplication. Last night it needed a second reapplication, two hours apart (so that's three applications) but today,I think I'll get away with two goes (it's hot and humid in these parts). That said:

Sillage: Soft to Moderate (depending on the layer)
Longevity: Weak to Long (also depending)

A chance testing has resulted in me possibly having a new permanent girl in the arsenal ... after I get past the in-your-face green and gold presentation ;)

Swamp Lily
Swamp Lily

Voluptuous Volupte is a green and yellow bursting bouquet that makes me light headed after one tiny spray. Thankfully it settles down after ten minutes, otherwise I'd be headachy. After half an hour that tiny spray has become a gentle floral with arms length silage and a lot of staying power. Still it's a yellow, dated, rich garden of a fragrance. There are perfumes that I like to have just for the experience of knowing them and enjoying their company, almost like that friend you can't take anywhere. That is Volupte. I'm enjoying it today after hours of heavy gardening, pulling out vigorous climbing weeds from the back of the block. After a refreshing shower, a spray of Volupte is part of a perfect wind down with its earthy florals, complexity and rich cosiness.

Marie69
Marie69

Testing . . vintage spray 1.7 oz, EDT...Big marks for sillage, nuclear and longevity. Once it gets into your nose, it will stay there....A floral, fairly classic SG creation. Similar to some of SG´s others. A fairly heavy white floral, but something in it makes me smell it over and over. Maybe the musk. When it dries down, like an hour later, it is quite soft. This one needs to be applied in the tiniest amount though as they oldies were a force to be reckoned with. I personally prefer Oscar, but this one is more floral and less smoky. If you like bold white florals like Beautiful, you will like this also I think. Bottle has a great feel, really solid and heavy. To me, this is the kind of classic perfume that if you were in a womens washroom, randomly testing, 80% of the women would think this is OK, even if they didnt love it. It is a good price. If someone wants to trade this, my bottle is full 95% and in good condition, no box.

Dunebuggy8970
Dunebuggy8970

That was beautiful, Asinya !

Asinya
Asinya

I have avoided writing about this - and it pains me that Fragrantica will only let me list one signature scent...

When I was young, and still quite happy - you know, faith in the world, faith in yourself, faith in love - hope for the future. I was sure I would one day bloom into a beauty, my talents would be discovered, I'd get a job I'd love...and I wore this scent.

I'm older now - it's been almost 20 years, and I never did bloom into a beauty, and it turned out I had no talents to discover, and I got a job I hate.

Then I was browsing perfume-click.ie for my next purchase, and this was among the sales. I couldn't even remember what it smelled like, I had forgotten that once I'd never leave the house without it in my bag, but I recalled the bottle, and I was curious, and it was incredibly cheap, so I clicked it home.

I will say this...I'm 33, and my life didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. BUT - wearing this again, I almost felt like crying, because it still carries that mindset for me. I found Volupté again - and I actually feel HOPE again.

So, I have avoided writing about it - because this 'review' says nothing of the scent itself; it's violets and powder and flowers - strong and personal and soft and musical - instead it mainly lists my own associations. But...well, I love this scent, just as I love the memories - but mainly I love that it makes me feel like my life isn't over yet. And that's...almost magic <3

smellysmellerson

Ok so this is a very very drunken review, but I have to do it because I'm so exited about this! Despite talk of spankings on bare bottoms(there's a lot of hair there) with oak canes and worse I still couldn't be distracted from sniffing the back of my hand where I was testing parfum concentration volupte whilst drinking a couple bottles of cote du rhone with an already runk friend who happens to be especially handsome.
This blend is amazingly opulent!!!!!! I know this review is terrible and doesn't say anything other than even copious amounts of wine and gorgeous men couldn't take my mind off of this absolutely incredible juice. I will write a more competent review later, but I'm seriously crushing on this pure perfume and I think it might reach Dune levels for me in terms of riciulously priced purchases that are rationalized due to passion and rarity. There's part of me that knows that I will cringe when my sober self reads this. I'm always amazed at how fast I type when under the influence, and why handsomeness would lead to beatings with a wooden cane I have no idea. I blame good wine and spiced rum.....ok so it wasn't just talk.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

I adore this scent so much it brings a tear to my eye when I am feeling particularly nostalgic and a tad melancholic. I am grateful for it, for in many ways, this divinely rapturous scent brought me back to life. (Hang with me friends, I will get to it. This one has taken some time to even express.)

A dear friend love-gifted a perfume mini to me in the early 90's, several months after suddenly losing my beloved young sister. My friend worked a well respected perfume counter and Volupte arrived along with a mini of Tresor and several samples of luxe cosmetics. I was in my late 20's at the time and The Bad News of my lifetime made the chilly grey winds of fall and winter unbearably bitter. I think I actually died. Somewhere in my haze of unbeing and being, the daze/days grew a big longer and the sun began to shine but I could not awaken... though I do recall a short, meaningless sleepwalk to the mailbox. The above mentioned box was a curious thing though I was numb and frozen.

My emotions were flat as I recall The first choice of sample being the Oscar mini. I chose it because the little bottle seemed smooth and soothing to touch, and it was. It happened with the first dab to my wrist. I cannot recall the time lapse. It seemed like seconds and years of the strange sensation that suddenly overwhelmed me. Something was happening in my chest, no, my heart; the deepest place in it, the dead part with the big hole bearing my beloved only sister's name. Putting my nose to my wrist with eyes closed, I suddenly began weeping, pouring tears that would not stop as I saw and smelled the golden sun, the purple-blue of violet and heliotrope, velvety pink carnations like that of new birth and skin, the fresh burst of lush green and life itself. Being dead, I thought Heaven had surely come to save me. I still cannot say why I had never felt so loved at that moment but I did. Not only did I love Volupte, Volupte seemed to love me even more. It was a bouquet of pure love, life, laughter and every wonderful memory of my life. After existing so long as a ghost moving through a black and white void, this liquid gold was a divine arrival. It was everything celestially beautiful, elegant, precious, and soft with the power of a loving hug mixed with laughter on The Best Spring Day one could possibly ever dream of or imagine... and I cried for gratitude... that I was alive. I had somehow survived... as Volupte whispered "Awaken sweet Girl, and live. You are alive... and life is beautiful."

While "dead", I was hugged by many friends and loved ones wearing fragrance that was nice in my dead way of perception. Volupte is intensely precious and glorious; a gorgeous blend not credited only for breathing life back into my soul, though it absolutely did. I still believe only this scent could have gifted me in the miraculous way it did. Supremely thick with love, life and color, I prefer it in the cooler months to offset the sometimes too many grey days. Thank you so much Miss Grosjman! If you only knew.)

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I launched this when it first came out in the early 90's. The vintage original blend was a heavy fruity/floral with a strong incense note that made it distinctive and different. Melon and incense together? Really different and at the time nothing smelled like it. It was very exotic and people loved it. Now it's a watered down fruity floral and the incense note is barely there. Its nice and similar to what is was, but a mere shadow. When I heard about the incense notes of Belle D'Opium, I was hoping it would be like the vintage Volute, but nope it is not. The vintage version could easily be a Tom Ford Private Blend scent, it was that good.

emmarion
emmarion

Delicious melon goodness! It's warm and whole hearted and so beautifully sweet and feminine. The fruit blends perfectly with the flowers, to create a youthful yet sophisticated scent that's wearable at any time of year, for just about any occasion. I always reach for this when I don't have time to put any thought into which scent to choose. It's hard to go wrong with this beauty. I'm gutted to hear that it's been discontinued! I have a 100ml bottle at home, but I'm definitely going to be keeping my eyes open for a backup or two.

AnnaT
AnnaT

just start using this one.

No idea what to describe the top notes. It is certainly very different from the modern usual fruity top notes. A bit old fashioned.

i love the middle notes/base notes though. It is getting warmer and nuttier on me as time passes (the Vanilla?). The unexpected side effect is it makes me hungry!

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

thanks Arzacu for your review. I tried it and i love it. The Eliothrope signature of S Grojman is always gorgeous.

I tried it today on my wrist and after 2 sea baths i can always smell it !!

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

This may start out as a floral green because of the heliotrope, mimosa, and freesia, but over the course of an hour or so the amber and melons come out along with ylang-ylang, lily of the valley and narcissus making this almost more of a sweet oriental floral perfume. It’s very feminine and beautiful.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

The EDT:It’s all mimosa and fruit and heliotrope and freesia and oranges and melon and summer sexiness that I love to death.

I’ve never smelled anything quite like it. It’s refreshing, and yet ultra strong, gorgeously summery. It's somehow very dry (I think that's the mimosa) despite the ultra juicy fruits.

arzacu

Today I tried the very last drops of a bottle of this one that I found in an old cabinet at my house...

On me smells beautiful, and so long lasting by the way... It's opening is a sweet heliotrope, and stays all day through the fragrance... the notes come and go, but the heliotrope is so powerful on this gem... I applied 9 hours ago, and still smelling it!! It's awesome, the drydown is a mixture between heliotrope (at this point has become a powdery heliotrope note) and the sandalwood, with a tiny sweet melon note...

It's very long lasting, but not in a loud way, I mean, long lasting but very tender and easy to wear...

Beautiful fragrance.

EDP vintage review (my review of the EDT is below):

The EDP opens with a strong melon note. Not watermelon, or any identifiable melon, but a clear, juicy note. I typically dislike melon, but this is pretty, although somewhat reminiscent of candy flavoring.

The melon remains through the heart, when narcissus appears, and the same progression of notes takes place as with the EDT. In general, the EDP is stronger than the EDT. However, the primary difference in scent is due to the melon note, which remains throughout the life of the perfume. On my skin, this note makes the evolution of the scent, the appearance of the other notes, harder to detect. For intensity, I prefer the EDP. For actual scent, I prefer the EDT, which is more varied, and has a more complex presentation.

Review for vintage EDT:

This bottle is truly striking in person, very art nouveau, with clean lines and a nice heft. The cap on the 1.7 oz splash bottle is a touch strange, as the angled form needs to be twisted until it sits perfectly flush. However, the seal seems to be quite good once it is fit properly, and I'm not seeing any leaks, despite there being no threads on the stopper.

My skin tends to eat florals, and my initial application left me wondering where the famed Volupte power was. A second application, trailing from wrist to elbow brought enlightenment.

To my nose, Volupte opens with bitter narcissus very much forward, supported by osmanthus. Where osmanthus frequently has a suede like scent to me, and occasionally smells of plums, this osmanthus reminds me strongly of apricot fruit leather- dense, more tart than sweet, distinctly tangy. The sillage, for some reason, reminds me of buttered toast...served first thing in the morning, with tea, and apricot preserves (osmanthus) eaten sitting in the sunshine. I'm not sure where this accord is coming from, but it is quite distinct, and surprisingly joyous.

The heart opens slowly, after more than an hour. Soft, sweet mimosa, faint LoV, the slightest touch of carnation appear. Then jasmine and cyclamen move forward, supported by the fantasy peony note. Throughout this phase the fantasy freesia note is present, but not plasticky, adding a sense of "gloss" to the scent. Eventually a touch of tuberose shows up, demure, almost shy, very unusual for this note.

In the dry down heliotrope and melon step forward, supported by sandalwood and a touch of incense. Start to finish, I would classify Volupte as cheerful, surprisingly fresh, and thoroughly unexpected. The very sweet notes are carried by the almost herbal, very green, bitter narcissus base. The fruits are not the sugared versions that have been prevalent for the past decade, but rather tart. The floral elements are blended with a beautifully light touch, and the sweetness they bring is glorious, and never overwhelming.

I had expected Volupte to be heavy, a cool weather scent. Instead this is one of the most light filled scents that I have encountered, serenely joyous, energizing, the sort of scent that reminds you to stop and experience the world around you. Volupte, to my mind, is not so much about voluptuousness in the sense of sex appeal, but rather the voluptuousness of fully experiencing the world around us, dwelling in the present, and mindfully engaging with the multitude of stimulation all around. For me, Volupte is a meditation retreat in a bottle, perfect for those times when you can't disappear for a week, but you really need a break.

This is a go to scent! On my skin it needs warm weather to really be apparent in all it's glory, but it is wearable year round, and I think it will be a wonderful anodyne to winter blahs. Elegantly casual, effortlessly chic. I feel like this is the perfect scent to wear when one isn't sure what note to hit, but needs to impress. Tremendously versatile, and a joy to experience.

ktyhan
ktyhan

The dry down is so smooth and lovely... lingering hours and hours... and close to the skin. I also love the original Oscar and Esprit, and am determined to bring So De La Renta and Live in Love into my collection. You can never go wrong with these high quality Oscar perfumes (unbeatable prices a plus for sure;P)

Sherihan
Sherihan

Purchased a new bottle from department store, and it's as lovely as I remember it from first years of its production. Love love love , Sophia Grojsman's in proud, as all her creations, she is a Goddess

Sorayya
Sorayya

Volupté was my first "real" perfume back in my early twenties...it escorted me to adulthood :-)

I had left it on the side and recently tried it again...wow! How could I have deserted it for so long? It is powerful (in a good way) and so different from what I'm used to wear now.

To me it opens up with a citrus smell (must be the mandarin) and the yellow flowers...then I can pin point the heliotrope, sandalwood, amber, and something sweet (the melon probably)...then it's a parade of flowers, yellow ones pridominantly, the carnation, the ylang-lang... and I do detect a little bit of that patchouli. I do not get the vanilla at all.

It is a strong smell for that reason I would not wear it at the office, and not on a hot spring or summer day.

I will have to purchase another bottle cause I fell in love again with that perfume... and my husband loves it... even my son kept telling me how good I smelled :-)

valbona.bergman
valbona.bergman

Bought this blindly and at first sniff i was unsure. First it has that note which i don't like similar to tresor...so i hated the opening. After long time, the dry down is a luxurious ,sweet and powdery scent. Not bad at all...it's just that note that smells like rubber on my skin that bothers me! It has a very nice longevity. I love the sillage and smelling it from a distance. Waves of powdery sweetness bring to my mind the victorian era for some reason and this makes it a good buy :)

paulie86
paulie86

I love Volupte and i'm glad I stumbled onto this hidden gem by Oscar de la Renta. I've seen this perfume before at century's but never picked it up until now when I saw it at my local marshall's for 24.99 for the 3.4 oz bottle. On my skin volupte is all violets and heliotrope syrupy sweet thick purple flowers with hints of sandalwood and vanilla it's a little powdery with a soft musky undertone. When I looked up this perfume while I was deciding on purchasing I saw that it was by Sophia Grojsman so I immediately had to get it, because she's my all time favorite perfumer. When I first sprayed volupte I thought I made a huge mistake and threw 25 dollars down the drain, because all I could smell we're oily stale flowers so I washed it off and let the bottle air out a bit and tried it again before I went to bed. What a huge change that made and it finally clicked what this perfume smells like to me. Volupte is like the cold weather version of Bvlgari pour femme which i'm saving for spring with a little bit of the freesia from calvin kleins' eternity hiding in the background. I'm completely blown away by this fragrance and never want to be without it.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

This is a really odd fragrance - powdery, yet sweet and syrupy layered over subtle spices. I actually don't detect any melon on my skin, which is strange as usually it is quite noticeable with my chemistry. I get a good dose of peach and amber at the start (which initially wasn't so keen on as I don't really like peach as a scent), then it blends into hyacinth, powdery lilac and sandalwood which is strange as neither of the hyacinth or lilac is listed as a note here, I think I can also detect violets. This is very similar to Tresor on me, but a slightly more summery version and perhaps even a bit more sexy? It also smells a lot like Elizabeth Taylor's Diamonds and rubies and also her Black Pearls which I cannot wear (it is too fleshy over-ripe peach on me). I do detect a bit of Samsara in here as another reviewer has mentioned below, but it is nowhere as heady or heavy sandal-Tonka as Samsara is on my skin. I haven't owned Tresor for a few years (used to be my signature) as my partner doesn't like it (upsets his sinus problems) so it will be interesting to see how this fares around him. A blind buy which was worth it, got this for a steal and it's a big old 100ml. Will be a good fragrance for wearing around the house all day. It seems to quickly meld with my skin - if I sniff it directly I can't actually detect it but held far away I get a nice whiff of it every so often. My only issue is the bottle is prone to leakage - you need to make sure the spray is pressed down fully each time (no half sprays) and that it raises up again fully afterwards otherwise it leaks all over the show.

Update: after wearing for a day and a half I unfortunately am getting a headache from this scent. Just like Diamonds and Rubies/Black pearls I get an overwhelming sickly sweet peachy note which over time offends my nostrils. This is too sweet for me. I can appreciate it but it will be going to a new home soon.

munchay
munchay

After going through the reviews and seeing this at a discount in my local drugstore I thought why not.I'm not for floral greens but more into orientals. Seeing the sandalwood,jasmine,amber, insense, vanilla and even patchouli oh my how could I resist?

Although there are a lot of florals, there is something oriental about Volupte.The drydown is powedry. I can smell that sandlewood with osmanthus mimosa and ylang-ylang.They are verymuch dominating. There is something sweet in there must be the melon. That's how Volupte smells like.

I tested Guerlain Samsara today and this reminds me of the sandalwood in Samsara but in a more sweeter accord.
They both have sandlewood, Ylang-Ylang,jasmine.
There isn't anything green about Volupte. I don't get any vanilla and patchouli notes as listed and insence either. Where are all those flowers?
Wait I can smell that carnation maybe that's what gives that bitterness.

The sandalwood is in the top notes and it dissapears as Volupte develops.

I can't remember how tresor smells like.Everyone seems to comment that this is more closer to Tresor.

Overall I'm not dissapointed.
It's rich, well defined, mature,sweet and very much feminine.
Volupte is so much underated, if it reminds you of Tresor and for me Samsara in a way because of the sandlewood, it is a good buy for bargain hunters.

I should try this in warmer weather the cold winter doesn't bring out the best in Volupte.

smellysmellerson

Merry Christmas to you too LicoriceAllSorts! Volupte is a timeless bombshell of a perfume. I'm glad to be a force for good smells in the world.

Kleseka
Kleseka

Had to return.My little one developed an allergy to it.
My husband didn't like ether.Very strong and unbearable
smell for 30 min at least then it's getting better but still strong and super powdery. Difficult for me to understand complicity or magic about it I guess. I had to open windows after 2 sprays ventilation wasn't enough
to eliminate Volupte magic.

nise
nise

This is my fave spring time scent because it matches the season so beautifully - from the initial green grass blast which reminds me of freshly mown lawns, through to the fresh sweet floral freesia centre, to the sandalwood dry down. Heavenly. I have one wee gripe though and that's with the cheap plastic gold casing holding the green lid which breaks too easily. I have a friend whose one also broke. This needs to be fixed as it does not do this lovely juice justice. Otherwise perfect.

silvia d
silvia d

It disappointed me, a little; it has a different smell than I expected.. But i like that oily(somehow) scent..It s like a mix between an old cologne and and a light, floral scent. But i'd still want to try other fragrances from him!

eliane.goncalves.796
eliane.goncalves.796

Assim que experimentei achei um perfume senhoril e datado , não havia gostado. Mas depois com o passar do tempo e sua evolução o perfume foi se assentando e trazendo um conformo inexplicável , foi paixão, não consigo jamais abandoná-lo desde o dia que o comprei.Perfume delicado e marcante ao mesmo tempo.

physalis
physalis

Volupté, you were one of my first perfumes, maybe my first essence of woman, removed from the nest of purity and innocence. An abrupt initiation, because of your strong and eloquent presence; you made me a call:
"Girl..., you'll be a woman soon. Please ... come, take my hand."
I took your hand, and you touched me with an exquisite fragrance, the kind of scent that is difficult to find nowadays, because of so many restrictions and the poor quality of raw materials in perfumery.

Its opening is predominantly green. Despite being a yellow flower, I always smelled some green floral quality out of mimosa. It fulfills the intensity of the bouquet and slowly gives room to the other notes. I can feel the sourness of mandarin and the mellowness of "water fruits" (melon, watermelon). I can smell notes of freesia, cyclamen, ylang-ylang and heliotrope, completing the floral heart, although these notes can not totally express themselves. It is a complex scent, and sometimes I can feel one note, sometimes other, but in a wider sense it is a very well balanced concoction. During the drydown, the sharpness of the green opening, and the density of the floral heart are lost and gradually some softness and comfort are provided by sandalwood, jasmine and amber.
Some softness and comfort, because this fragrance is actually strong, mature and resolute, as a woman who knows exactly what she wants and how to achieve it.

This fragrance is astonishing and will certainly be noticed by those around. They can be pleased or distressed, but not indifferent.
In my opinion it adapts better to mild temperatures of autumn or spring, with great sillage and longevity of eight hours on my skin.

Volupté, you made your call:
"Don't you know girl..., you'll be a woman soon. Please ... come, take my hand. "
I took your hand and you revealed yourself to me, and...you disclosed myself to feminine vehemence and sensuousness!

pretty mini collector
pretty mini collector

I don't know what that beginning note is, but whatever it is, don't let it turn you off. Once the notes start developing, it begins to smell very much like Tresor, except brighter. It's almost like burning incense on the beach. I wish I could describe it better.

The lasting power is decent and the sillage is huge, at least in the beginning. I would suggest applying this in an open area because that opening note is loud.

justaname
justaname

The ones who think it has a bad smelling or fishy edge, should perhaps give it another chance explicitly on clothing, whithout spilling anything on the skin. I also had mixed feelings about this perfume, as it did give me a kind of ammoniak smell as I tried it on the skin, other than that I loved it. But on my clothes this dirty smell does not come out!!

kugkng
kugkng

The base part reminds me a lot to Tresor

JaxTheMinx
JaxTheMinx

I've just blind-bought a 100ml EDP which was on special. I did so based on reviews here and I do hope it will invoke the same pleasant memories of when my mom used to wear it (not that I can put my finger on what it was like!) I have dry skin so prefer a more robust fragrance that will last. I will report back once it arrives from the UK!
UPDATE: So my 100ml bottle has only dipped a wee bit since I used some of the juice to make scent for our home! I get why people say it reminds of Tresor. I like Tresor and currently Tresor in Love (now discontinued!) quite often. I want to love Volupte but other than invoke childhood memories, the tonka bean blows me away. If any of my tonka bean fragrances come into contact with my clothes when I apply them, I'm nausious midway through the day. Tonka takes a funny turn on the dry down which reminds me of Nestum infant cereals. Bleh. I've quite a few fragrances full of tonka bean - maybe this was just one too many. Incidentally, my Madame Rochas contains tonka but I cannot smell it at all. It must be the tiniest touch of tonka which was just expertly blended.

Schurrles
Schurrles

The first thing I'm going to say is God bless Fragrantica.com reviewers. I can safely conclude that amidst the mixed opinions lies the most intelligent, constructive voices.

A lover of Oscar (the original) by Oscar de la renta, I proceeded to purchase Volupte based on reviews here. Am I disappointed? Absolutely not.

On first spray of Volupte on my left wrist, I went "Dear Lord, what have I gotten myself into? eeek". Then I sprayed So de la renta on my right wrist. Had my sister smell both wrists and she picked the right wrist as the better smelling.

But then 10-15 mins passed and the most beautiful thing happened. Volupte made sure I kept raising my left wrist to my nose as I couldn't resist the lovely aroma coming from that wrist. It was so so powdery.

Went back to my sister to smell both wrists again and guess what? she picked the left wrist. Haha, told her that was the rejected stone now becoming the chief cornerstone.

Bottom line, I love the dry down so well this might just become my signature scent. I need to add that I sprayed this at night when it was warm and not hot. I'll have to try this in an entirely diff climate.

Don't let the EDT fool you. It lasts longer than some EDP I've used.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

I totally agree with Mereltje's observation concerning fragrances that don't work well with our chemistry. Sometimes waiting and trying them again in warmer weather can give us a whole new perspective.

Volupte is a perfect example of this. In the winter it is meek and mild and longevity is nonexistent. But try it on a hot spring day as I did a couple weeks ago, and my opinion has taken a 360.

Volupte becomes sultry and sweet, with a powdery trail that builds through the drydown. It's as comforting and warm as summertime around your shoulders. Reminds me of days around the 4th of July spent in and out of swimming pools, eating fruit salad and inhaling the flowers blooming everywhere!

To think I had listed Volupte on EBAY back in early spring!

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I wore this years ago when it first came out, and recently got myself a sample size to review it again. It's as lovely as I remembered-the top notes remind me of a sweet called Parma Violets. Initially it is sweet and fruity-the heliotrope comes through strongly with a sweet almond and vanilla note. Despite the mandarin there is no citrus note-its all smooth and rounded rather than sharp.

It settles down to a warm, slightly spicy sandalwood. The spice of carnation in this is understated, but this works with the fruity melon, with the melon softening the spice, and the spice stopping the melon from being too sweet. This is a very feminine fragrance without being girly. I think its more suited to Winter, as it has a warmth to it, and a slight powdery note rather than a refreshing zingyness. Its a cosy fragrance to me-despite being a very distinctive fragrance, the sillage is minimal (unless its my skin eating it up!). Definitely a scent for wearing on a date.

lirael00
lirael00

This is what yellow flowers should smell. It's more of a daytime perfume and I've already received a lot of compliments (the last one came from bunch of kids who were visiting a theater where I work and then one said 'mmmmm this lady smells so nice, can we wait here till the start of the show, you're perfume is amazing!' I know it'a child's opinion, but that's why I trust it even more. The reason the kids like it, it's because this perfume smells like'everything's gonna be alright, trust me!' I think it's perfect if you wear it in a fall or spring, and it lasts long too, plus sillage is great. It's very 80's type of a perfume, but that's only plus in my book.

katyas
katyas

I was just given this perfume as a gift and had no idea what it would smell like, so I was going in blind. The opening notes are lovely, sweet and sort of juicy. I usually can't wear perfumes with jasmine, but this one blends it in so well with the other scents that it works for me fine. I do wish it lasted a bit longer.

mereltje
mereltje

At first I did not like it; sharp bitter notes came into my nose. I tried it many times because I had this one for my birthday from my two lovely kids.
And now it gets spring in Holland and I tried it again and guess what? I LIKE IT! In spring it smells completely different to my nose; mimosa, melon, fresh and delightfull. I'm SO happy I like it now, because it has a special vallue to me(because of my kids)
Maby for other Fragrantica's : If it isn't love at the first sniff, give it some time. Maby it doesn't smell nice to you in summer, it maby will in winter/spring.

joan100
joan100

When I first sprayed this I got some mimose mixed with fresh melon and freesia. 3 hours later the heliotrope carnation and ylang ylang dominated and reminded me of famous scents such as Eternity by CK and Tresor by Lancome. It has a typical late 80s/early 90s fragrance ideal for women over the age of 30.

rosembloom

I have loved Volupté by Oscar de la Renta for years, digging that fresh yet compote like pear note. I have found it once more in Wild Pears by Montale and find they layer superbly with each other. I am enjoying both though Volupté seems to last much longer on me. This is the scent of fruity riches and musky fruitness. It reminds me also of Fruit of the Musk a bit and I am simply loving this as our Winter slowly merges into Spring. It starts off like a blast of syrupy fruit ( Fancy like) then gives off layer upon layer of sweet , well blended and luxurious layers . A very gourmand floral I shall have in my wardrobe for as long as it exists. Many compliments, the sophistication of Wild Pears and an incredible lasting power and sillage. Very Sophia G! I recommend it to all fruity gourmand lovers wishing for rich notes and high quality floral with many facets!

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

Hum, delícia! Realmente Sophia Grojsman sabe o que faz, e quando faz é com muita responsabilidade. Prova disso é sua belíssima criação para a Casa Oscar de la Renta, especificamente estou me refiro ao bombástico-master Volupte. Um perfume bem na linha e personalidade dos florais que fizeram a cabeça e pele da mulherada na década de 90’s, e por assim romperem em suas magnitudes, alcançaram suas famas até os dias atuais, isso é bom, muito bom. Grojsman o criou em 1992 e dois anos mais tarde cria também Sun Moon Stars para Karl Lagerfeld, que para minhas narinas têm suas saídas bastante semelhantes, ou seja, um carregamento de Frésias orvalhadas por uma Baunilha profundamente selvagem. Teria Grojsman se inspirado no 1º para elaboração do 2º, com o intuito de não perder o foco na criação dos florais arrebatadores que faziam sucesso no mercado consumidor, na época de seus respectivos lançamento?! Volupte, abre agressivo e sem nenhuma reserva, são notas e mais notas florais acavaladas que agridem sem ressentimento as narinas de quem se propõe a experimentá-lo; diria que a profusão de suas flores na saída associadas à Melancia e ao Melão quase que desandam sua apresentação, uma vez que dá para sentir uma leve e pequena sensação de fruta meio passada lá no fundo, mas é algo que dura quase nada, quase imperceptível. Suas notas do meio apresentam Lírios colhidos e ensolarados, Cravos esmagados e muita Peônia fresca, tudo em grande quantidade, mas o que dá o sentido de Volupte em suas notas do meio é a sensação verde-adocicada e sutil do Heliotrópio, que é magnificamente intenso. Por fim, sua base nos apresenta Patchouli meio amargo com talos de Tuberosas amarradas num ambiente pouco arejado onde se queima Incenso, mas o Incenso já está terminando, está no fim, em sua fase esfumaçada que não costuma agradar muita gente. No mais, Volupte é volúpia pura, muita satisfação obtida através de todos os possíveis sentidos de quem o conhece, com uma fixação e silagem monstruosamente espetacular. De fato, é uma fragrância destinada a quem tem personalidade forte e não tem a mínima pretensão de passar incólume ao lançar mão de seu uso.

Dedico esta resenha a minha Amiga Barbarella!

Jerine123
Jerine123

I had this scent years ago and was so happy to find it again. As mentioned, it is a powerful scent and has the sophistication and staying power of a Tresor but I find this sharper and greener. The sharpness is not offensive to my nose and quickly softens and lingers. Such a complex fragrance that evolves over time and does not disappear!

Passionflower
Passionflower

I smelled this fragrance just this morning and it immediately made me wonder if it had been made by Sophia Grosjman because it reminded me very much of two other very similar fragrances which have been made by Ms. Grosjman. The more I smelled it, the more Volupte seemed just like Eternity by Calvin Klein and Sun, moon stars by Karl Lagerfeld. So the first thing I did when I got behind a computer, was to check on Fragrantica who invented Volupte. And low and behold, I was right! I love all three scents, but it does make me wonder what the other creations by Sophia Grosjman smell like, and also, if there are more that smell like the three I mentioned. I find this very weird, but I'm sure more people must have noticed the similarity. She's also created Yvresse for Yves Saint Laurent, a fragrance I also love, which smells quite different from Volupte.

bellamson
bellamson

I used to use Volupte for approximately 20 years and only this because it was the most successful scent I ever used. People constantly came up to me asking me for the name of it, regardless of whether I was at home in the cold or abroad in sweltering hot climate. Both men and women liked it, and young and older and I loved it of course. I think I just got lucky and it suited my body chemistry perfectly-I found the one. Then I was told they were not making it anymore.I moved on trying to find another scent I love 100%.

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I saw this today for $25 and after spraying it on my hand I almost bought it straight away. The top notes are gorgeously fruity! Thankfully, I decided to wander for a bit to see how it settled. I have to say "BLEH!". The base is too something - sharp, sour, tart. Such a shame because the top notes are devine!
Update: I was a bit hard on this one. Yes it does have that harsh note but it softens down. And there is a similarity to Tresor which I used to love. Bought it.

m_mtz40
m_mtz40

This is very powdery & floral but a bit too powdery for my olive complexion perhaps. Not picking up any of the sweet notes ppl mention at all mostly powdery floral is all i get. To my liking it would need to be less powder and more floral/sweet which it almost is but just not enough for me to keep. I really don't enjoy powdery scents at all plus I don't enjoy yellow florals either. But some ppl do. Swapped this out already..
A better choice cuz it's a bit sweeter is BIJAN STYLE. It's what I wish this would have been.

elderflowers
elderflowers

It's ironic if a winner scent like Volupte is penalised for the crime of being too potent– an offence easily remedied with a clean, empty roll-on bottle used for essential oil blends, or cheap attars. Spray the scent into the cleaned bottle, plug in the roll-on dispenser, and enjoy at your discretion.

Many modern EDT have been engineered to encourage the wearer to put on between three and six hefty spritzes, but they have been diluted so that they're barely any heavier than an old EDC. Old-school EDT were not like this, and an EDP was a serious commitment. Parfum rightly comes in a tiny, weighty bottle, equipped with a stopper and rod that allows you to apply that iconic 'one drop'. That's how insanely strong real perfume should be: you have a strategy for distributing between pulse points, before even pulling the stopper.

Applied at the appropriate levels, Volupte EDT is still IMO one of the top 'hothouse flowers' scents. Anyone who loves steamy, fruity, boozy good-time yellow florientals with a determined backbone can wear this: 'Steel Mimosa' might best describe it. I find Volupte far more complex and welcoming than Tresor – so I guess that 'sexy' ultimately depends on how you interpret those two qualities.

Volupte is a benign, fruity-floriental Magna Mater, generous but rather alarmingly powerful. In her, respect and love are intertwined.

veda
veda

No fruits, no green...on me is flowery and yellow.
As someone else said similar to Tresor.~4-NOV-14

The nose of Volupte is Sophia Grojsman that also made
Tresor this is why it is similar.~29-DEC-13

arzacu

My mother used to wear this one.
I just get the last spray to test it on my wrist.

Very green fragrance, i get the sweetness of mimose and heliotrope, and carnations come to my nose...

Great for winter I think... in my opinion could be cloying in summer... but it's good, it's a nice fragrance, has all the 90's fragrances vibe.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

Hands down one of the most intoxicating fragrances I have smelled--ever. This isn't shy. It isn't for the meek. I must say that it is Tresor's bubblier, less serious sister but is equally sensual.

This and Tresor differ in the way their colors differ. Tresor has more peach and is drier and rosier. Volupte has more fizz, is richer, sweeter, and fruitier (not in today's current standard of sweet, however). Think juicy and plump peaches and apricots, dewy roses, and some wooden elements thrown in, also some leaves. It smells more like a countryside backyard with wild flowers and fruits than a garden full of flowers.

It might be a little heavy for some, especially on the first blast but it settles beautifully and mingles with the skin after a few minutes. I am lucky my skin loves this kind of blend.

I don't have kids yet, but this may be one of the fragrances I want them to remember me by. This and Anais Anais and Oscar.

This scent perplexes me. It is beyond green. I find it to be woody, green, bitter, but not mossy, with strong mimosa and a hint of melon. The opening blast is full of florals but dissipates literally within seconds, so very easy to miss. The middle phase is strong, almost too much, but intriguing enough to make me find patience to wait for the drydown. It doesn't change very much after that, perhaps becoming a bit softer overall. This smells like nothing else I own. I am not normally drawn to these scents but this one keeps me interested because its so off the beaten path for me.

roseessence
roseessence

On me this is warm and floral softening down to gentle melon and vanilla. I adore this perfume and can't believe I had never discovered it. I thought it would be too overwhelming but my chemistry mixes with Volupte to create a delightful combination. Its longevity is amazing - 12 hours after the initial spray I still retained its gorgeous floral warmth. I will definitely add this my favourites list.

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

Wow! The two reviews below this couldn't be more different. That sounds like the mark of an interesting fragrance - and so it proves to be.

I'm currently trying to get my head round the "Yellow flower / white flower" thing. White flowers are - jasmine, lily, tuberose, lily of the valley and so forth ... yellow flowers are - mimosa. linden, narcissus, ylang-ylang, etc. As I understand it.

So this is a blend of white and yellow, actually. Yellow flower fragrances seem on the whole to attract fewer fans than white flowered ones. Perhaps the flowers themselves are more distinct from one another, or blend less well together?

Incidentally I like the colour scheme here - the juice is very yellow and the cap (though plastic and ill-fitting, which isn't ideal) is very green. Kind of sets you up for what is to come.

Anyway I digress. Volupte is an absolute powerhouse in what seems increasingly to be called "the 80s style". The opening is a big blast of various things - I see other people have detected melon, violet, lily of the valley, carnation and all sorts.

Once this passes the mimosa comes to the fore and works its usual softening effects. This counterbalances an ongoing slight bitterness (the narcissus perhaps?) in what I find to be a most interesting and exciting way. Wafts of fragrance hit my nose as I move and I feel myself to be sophisticated, intriguing and a little exotic.

Sillage and longevity are great, and the drydown continues in a similar way but more muted. Nothing stands out particularly for me but perhaps the incense contributes a mysterious effect.

The thing is, they REALLY don't make then like this any more outside niche houses. This was what sophisticated women used to smell like as a matter of course. They used fragrances that were bitter, smokey, leathery, powdery, green and so forth, because they were interesting and beautiful and there wasn't a one-size-fits-all approach to perfume.

Now your choices, even as a mature woman, are - do you want to smell sweet and fruity, or sweet and floral? Unless you are very avant-garde of course, in which case you may put on something by Tauer or Lutens and smell - well, like this perhaps.

Anyway, thank goodness for the internet, which allows anyone to find lost gems like this for a song on ebay and then read all about them here on Fragrantica. Three cheers!

I love Volupte. It couldn't be my signature because there's just too much going on and I can't see myself in it while shopping at the supermarket. Nevertheless if you want your fragrance to be interesting, exciting and different, give it a try.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

From the first sniff Volupte and I are in love...It's serious, mutual and it will last...I know.

A gorgeous peach note mixed with a warm vanilla and an aura of amber is the first thing that enchants me...It's very yummy! Think Pêche Melba with plump juicy peaches and a rich vanilla ice-cream. *YUM!* Yet it's not a gourmand -I am wearing food- feeling, but rather a yummy floriental.
Right after this grand opening the heliotrope and mimosa give it a powdery vibe, yet the fruity notes balance the powdery ones out, Volupte is neither too sweet or too powdery - it's just right.

The middle stage reveals a mysterious ylang-ylang and freesia mixed with an earthy sandalwood....The dry-down is a soft sweet (NOT cloying!) oriental that is absolutely stunning!

I was always told that Volupte is a 'clone' of Tresor - well, Tresor and my skin don't like each other and as a result I have always ignored Volupte. The fact that Sophia Grosjman made both scents only enhanced my belief that they were most likely too identical. Lucky me that I finally tested it and immediately bought a 100ML bottle! It's that stunning on mu skin. Volupte will have a permanent place in my collection. It fills the room and it keeps evolving from one gorgeous stage to another into to a magical dry down, I only regret not have discovered this one sooner. I absolutely love it!

The lesson in this is: Even if it's a supposed to be a clone of something that doesn't work with your chemistry and made by the same nose...TEST it on your skin! You might miss out on something that was always there waiting for you to discover it. Every time I wear it I get stopped by people asking me what that gorgeous scent is. It's a child of the 90s and not many people use it..in fact I've never smelled it on anybody else. Wonderful! I love smelling divine and unique for a fraction of the price of todays niche & designer scents, what more can I ask for? ; )

Silage is: A divine warm and fresh, slightly sweet floriental - Longevity is: 10 plus hours in which it will reveal an amazing dry down. A MUST try! I can only recommend it. Good luck! : )

**Members Bobo1 & Action are right: The notes listed above are wrong...I can clearly smell a gorgeous juicy peach.

icecube
icecube

Starts in a yellow field of mimose.
Balmy or powdery notes follows right after.
After the balmyness calms down more flowers are coming true - a full flowerbouquet.
Sweet vanilla mingels into the flowers and now moore fruits apperas.
It ends wiht a georgeouse plumnote that stays on for a long time (can swear it is plum) - well I love plum so it is all god.

Robih
Robih

WOW! An armload of flowers, full and generous, flowing into a prolonged amber & patchouli drydown...
My new favourite for day wear.
Best in Fall and Winter, a bit too heavy for hot weather.

rosembloom

This is my go to scent for early Spring, while there is still a chill to the air and the buds are blooming despite the snow on the ground, here in Canada. I am not quite certain if these are the true notes to Volupté, remembering reading about violets, peach, the absence of carnation and ylang ylant.. shall confirm). But notes in themselves indicate little to me: the harmony is this fragrance is Pastoral and reminds me of fresh pears, dewy violets, green yet balmy notes of cedar . I cannot explain how this sophisticatedly fresh, smooth and vibrant scent makes me 'high'. Like the first walk in the forest when the snow melts. It's fruity ambery drydown is what I love most about it. Great sillage and longevity : apply with a light hand.

logicmuppet
logicmuppet

It is dismal outside today, raining and chilly. Also, we just switched to daylight savings time, so even I am a little sleepy and slow this morning. Volupte is filling the bill for something bright and cheerful but not "neon." I don't usually like mimosa or melon, and this goes on with both of those and a strange "perfumey" sweetness that seems somewhat harsh. But in about 30 minutes or so, it turns spicier, but still soft and fruity sweet. This has been growing on me for a few days now, and it's perfect for a day like today.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

I cannot really make up my mind about this scent. It makes me lift up my wrist to my nose over and over again to decide whether I like it or not. On first spritz I would have to say I don't like it, it is a bit too sour for my liking. Then after about 20 minutes it settles down to a slightly spicy, green, woodsy floral which actually might be nice to wear in early spring when the days are still a little chilly, yet sunny.
Maybe a scent that can grow on me as it did with Givenchy's Amarige which I also had a hate/love affair with in the beginning, but the more I smelled it... the more I loved it! However... I am pretty sure that for me Amarige will win over this ''voluptuous'' battle!

**Summer_Forever**
**Summer_Forever**

Agree with Robbie, it is a warm and nectar-like fragrance. Expensive and potent smelling so may be best avoided by the teenybopper crowd. Although my German penpal's mother thought this would be a great gift for me back in my teens.. and I have to say, I wholeheartedly agreed!

PrinceRobbie
PrinceRobbie

I have to agree with nellyrlight, this is a beautiful fragrance. It's a rather warm scent, perfect for an evening out. I do imagine this floating from the skin of an older classy lady. Not really one for the younger crowd! But hey, I'm 24 and I will wear it on the regular.
It only lasts for a moderate amount of time. Not enough for me but certainly reasonable.
The Melon and Mimose really shine through and I think the warmth shows because of the Sandalwood and Incense. Overall, it's just pleasant for the senses!

[email protected]
nellyrlight@aol.com

For the ladies --who seem to be such experts-- (I really AM shocked..I myself was trained in Holistic Aromatherapy and I cannot believe how deep the knowledge in some of you LOL) are so harsh..don't be..this is just a perfume for G's sake! LOL! And Volupte does not really deserve those unbelievably hard critics..It is very unique and beautiful scent..LOVE it.

celebrity89
celebrity89

75% Tresor, 25% Paris. Why do perfumers need a "nose" when developing fragrances that they are just copying?

jedrzejowskia
jedrzejowskia

Another blind buy but I remember this being worn by a friend in ballet class.

Opening is harsh, I actually do not know what it smells of. A floral aldehydic mess I think. To be honest the first ten minutes are rank.
I don't know what it is with me and top notes but I hate most of them, apart from very very few exceptions.
10 or 15 minutes in the smell is a bit citrusy and greener.
I agree it smells a little bit like Tresor in the late second stage. Tresor with a mix of lime but warm if that makes sense. It's nice but I don't think it's for winter time. I will leave this one for spring and perhaps update my review.
I paid 22eur for 50ml. The bottle is very, very pretty, a little bit Boucheron-style. The green cap is lovely!
Not such a bad buy :-)
3.5/5 for now.

Edit. I gave this away.
I couldn't do with the top notes, they made me sick to the stomach :-(

roseau
roseau

Lovely scent, with an incredibly blissful drydown, not green nor sweet, almost powdery indeed. Am I the only one who notices a strong resemblance of Volupté with "La Martina" Mujer? A Latino, adventurous and sensual vibe, that talks of passion and strong feelings. Mmmmhh...

Fizzy
Fizzy

For me it smells like Spellbound, but lighter, spicier (greener).

renneyg007
renneyg007

This has one of the most gorgeous dry downs ever.

Beeb26
Beeb26

The opening smells like Eternity and Tresor mixed together. After that it becomes more and more Tresor and less Eternity. I really like Tresor, so this a great scent for me and much more affordable!

And this perfume is not à floral green perfume at all! It is an oriental sweet perfume.

Member Bobo listed the right notes: it is very much likje THE Tresor fragrance family, so the most important notes Rose, peach, abricot etc are missing.

For lovers of Tresor , if you woud wish it to be a bit better priced, go for Volupte!
À true sister from the Same nose!

Małgoś
Małgoś

I finally got Volupte... and had mixed feelings in the beginning and for the next couple of hours. It starts with strong flower notes - really powerful, to the point of giving me a slight headache. It was hard for me to detect any fruitiness in it, although I was able to smell neroli and maybe peach, and freesia. But the flowers in the beginning are a bit overpowering.
Then in the middle notes it is mostly carnation, if I am not mistaken, that takes over. But then the scent develops, and after a while I can detect mimosa and ylang-ylang. I was not sure in the beginning whether I got it right - but it is - the prevailing note to me, from that moment on, is ylang-ylang.
What a joy it is to wear! The perfume then evolves to become a smooth, gorgeous, balmy veil. It is still mostly ylang-ylang that prevails - that's how it reacts with my skin - later on I could detect the patchouli, as well, and vanilla. It ends on a woodsy tone, while still retaining that balsamic quality. And ylang-ylang rules. What an olfactory delight.
Longevity could be better though - around 5 hours on my skin. But as I will be 'testing' it in the days to come, I may come back with an update.
For the time being, I love this perfume - it makes me feel really good.

Lumiere

This year it was my birthday scent. My daughter commented:what smells so beautiful? I said, that bottle, with green top. She said, Oh, It's definitely so much interesting than I first though it would be. Champaigne and Celebration-that's what I had in my mind. So feminine, sparkling and combines perfectly with natural skin aroma.

bobo1
bobo1

The notes are:
Bergamote, Pêche, Abricot, Violette, Iris, Rose, Muguet, Héliotrope, Cedre Atlas, Santal, Benjoin, Feve Tonka

Some time ago the listed notes were correct. Not now. And not only for Volupté.

So, IdaLupino, you are perfectly right.

Green floral, indeed, considering the blast of violet leaf in the opening. It smells slightly oily to me. Plushy and smooth.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

Just got a full tester for $3 at a local pharmacy. WOW! what a bargain! AND IT'S OSCAR DE LA RENTA! Tried it; At first a bitter green, fruity scent just hits you in the face; at time passes, an elegant, classic flowery scent stays with you for a while. It's a strong scent, perfect for evening ware. Don't love it, but can't say I don't like it either.

reborn
reborn

it smell very violletly,i think it is from the heliotrope.The aroma is velvety ,smooth,powdery violets with liiitle bit carnation and melon.very very feminine and cozy

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

I'm not a fan of any particular fragrances group.
I want to say, I love them all. I simply wear a perfume which I like the most at the current day and the result is ... smells always nice on me. This is my recipe for choosing the right scent for any occasion. To make this recipe work,the only condition is to have enough of different perfumes and to know them very well ... and than imagine which is currently the most propriate. That's how I coose what to put on.

Volupte is rich and warm perfume, and I love it sooooo much.
What a perfume! Amazing powdery-incense bitter-sweet mandarin-melon juice. It's soft and warm, literally gently caresses my nose.....mmmmmmmm. The ingredients that make up this fragrance - well I can not pick up every single, but for my taste they make up a wonderful bitter-sweet gem.....great work.

I agree, Volupte could be a relative of Kashaya-Kenzo, but deeper, with bold carnation note. Yes, they do have the same mother - Madame Sophia Grojsman.

Update of my reiew:
Wearing Volupte over past several days I realised that it has lot in common with Lancome Tresor.... both contain kind of rich sweetness that fills my nose up to the sinuses. And Tresor is a child of Mme. Grojsman, as well. Nice!

Portia Turbo
Portia Turbo

I keep coming back to this lovely little gem.
I love the story from the sharp fruits through the floral centre and the sexy incense and wood finish.
Not a punchy, "here I am" perfume but very long lasting on my skin.

Sillage 3.5/10
Longevity 7/10
Scent story 9/10

alyaa
alyaa

On my skin this smells of rancid fruits and turns into a vase of wilted flowers that is not really to my taste.

maryco036
maryco036

My first instinct was the say this smelled like soap. Not a bad one, but a sweet soap. The melons and florals are like champagne. Sharp at the first taste, tangy and sweet before the throat and finally leaving one feeling pleasant instead of drowned in heady florals.

P for Passable.

hlhenderson
hlhenderson

Have not worn this in 15 years, but remember thinking it smells like a bottle of bubbles (the kind kids blow with a wand). Somehow the smell seems to go up into the sinuses and stay there.

Lumiere

Summer day, possibly early June, Sunday afternoon. Table is set,food is ready, we are waiting for the guests...I am going outside to check if anyone is on their way already. It's warm and humid, and subtle wind wiffs aromas of lush blooming flowers, jasmine, konvlaija and ozon filled air. It may rain soon.One can smell freshly cooked by Mum stewed pear and peach fruit/compote. Finally guests arrive, with the boucket of heavenly pink peonies...Hugs, warmth, bubbling champaigne pored in the glasses, clinking them with the toasts...I am going outside again-rain has started, but who cares-we have this warm summer party inside. Maybe, if I wear this fragrance, I can bring back this happy times...Wondeful scent, well-rounded and delicate, telling the story, definitely classic and timeless.

fanny
fanny

Well, finally I willingly let Volupté run me over.

After the first violent blast, which I now happily endure, one gets rewarded with a generous, multi-layered green heart.
With two mini's already in my cabinet, a bottle of edt, bodycream and yet another miniature ordered and on their way, I consider myself in a fine state to embrace the new year.

RobbieX
RobbieX

Gorgeous bottle. From the look of the notes it must smell great too!

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

I remember years ago when I was a teenager, smelling Volupte for the first time, and thinking it was so unusual and different from any perfume I'd smelled before. It starts out fairly strong, to my nose a violet honeydew melon fragrance. Violet and melon - an unlikely but surprisingly pleasing combination! Violet is not even listed as a note, so maybe it's actually the mimosa. Sweet, sophisticated...then it finishes even more surprisingly with amber in the drydown. The opening is too strong for my taste nowadays (smells like an '80's scent though it was launched in '92), but the drydown is delightful - soft, rich and feminine. Will always enjoy having this one in my collection. It's created by Sophia Grojsman, and I'm a fan! She also created Tresor and YSL Paris, and Volupte kinda reminds me of a cross between the two.

krmarich
krmarich

OK, Sophia Grojsman gets another fruity floral hit under another designer label. It resembled Tresor nearly note for note. Is this a bad thing? Not really. Its just not really creative.

Yes, its voluptuous, sensual and rich. Original? Not really.

Lized
Lized

I have been wearing this on and off for 10 years. I agree that lately it is smelling more green and less floral. Still love it though. Still smells beautiful once it comes down.

nicki317
nicki317

I have worn this on and off for about 18 years. Recently it smells more green to me and less floral than I remembered it. I don't like it as much as I used to. My tastes are changing in my old age! Hopefully Fragrantica can help me find something that suits me now. :)

**update...I tried this again and I think I do like it. I agree with others that it is terrible for the first 20 minutes. But after that it does work with my chemistry pretty well. And I also agree with others that it does seem dated...but I still like it because it's interesting...not a candy-sweet celebrity fragrance. :)

takeasniff
takeasniff

When first sprayed this smells like a hampsters cage like pine shavings a musty sweet smell. Then it settles and it sweet but not too sweet and complicated enough not to be a boring run of the mill floral. It has a musky depth to it but it does smell a little dated like all these perfumes from this era. Very elegant. Lasting power is very good too. I would not wear it in summer or warm weather as it could turn musty.

semj
semj

This is as far away as you could imagine from a boring fragrance.
It smacks you in the face (nose) with a mess of sour and rotting fruits (melon)and you really have to ignore it for the first 20 minutes (don't get it on your clothes or you will have the awful top notes there forever).
After 20 minutes I could smell jasmine and ylangylang just like they should smell. Nose to skin there is carnation and a mellow heliotrope which softens the fragrance with an almondy feel and mellows into a very soft insence with a dark sticky patchouli.

Chanelette
Chanelette

Volupte starts with sharp green opening where the slightly bitter green mandarine zest play a loud not exactly harmonic accord with greenish lily of the valley scent and patchuli. After 20 minutes the scents transforms into something completely different. The scent of lily of the valley becomes more subtle and blends wonderfully with lush jasmine note and ambery-sandalwood base. There's a lovely sugar melon note that sweetens and softens the fragrance and makes it juicy. I find this scent very versatile, it can be worn in any season of the year, day or night. Incredibly chic and elegant fragrance!

CastoR&Pollux
CastoR&Pollux

hello aunti ar?

great essence - just gave it to a close fiend from far away - mediterranean type - nothing else would fit her more...

ladies - this is another great juice by a grande dame.

thx
sophia

s

Angel10
Angel10

I used to wear, now I cannot take it. Much prefer Samsara now...similar, but Samsara is more refined & less syrupy.

I am thinking that I no longer like melon in my fragrances like I used to.

olga1780

I also find some similarities between Volupte and Sublime! I think, especially the way they change over time because of their complexity.

olga1780

I couldn't resist the unbelievable steal of $ 15 for a 3.3 oz bottle, so i had to have it. Plus, it's Oscar de La Renta....how can it be not good?
Now, that's a great example of a unique fragrance! It's truly amazing how such seemingly clashing notes ( melon-carnation-insense...huh?) can blend so harmoniously together.
The rule of thumb with most Oscar perfumes ( excluding the little limited edition easy going ones): don't try to make a decision about it before the first 15 minutes after application. And Volupte is no exception: at first it punches you in the face with a very sharp smell, to me it was a pile of rotten fruit. But after it settles, it becomes rich, warm, moderately sweet and spicy.
I also do not agree that Volupte is a green fragrance, to me it is as oriental as can be.
I wish it was more intense, it's kind of timid for such a loud name. But overall, it's a wonderful perfume.

LaPetite
LaPetite

Another great job from Sophia Grojsman , thanks to this site i can now know who is behind my beloved perfumes . Sophia Grojsman must be such a wonderful person, i really appreciate her interview here.
Anyway , this perfume is for me, an oriental ! Definitely ! It's so rich , with powerful flowers , not so green imo .It seems like "Sublime" by Jean Patou to me. Lasts very long on me.
It makes my boyfriend sneeze >< But i don't care i'll keep wearing it anyway :-P

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Not a fan of this at all. Thought I would love it but I was mistaken. Its just everything my senses do not agree with. Its really a weird scent, nothing like it that I noticed, thats good for the people who do love this scent, its different.

floriana
floriana

Soft oriental floral scent, starts opening with fresh flowers and fruits. Dry down is like touch of velvet, something between powdery and balmy. One rich but smooth composition, pleasant and quiet,reminds me on evening dress and dinner for two. And candlelight.
Warm,deep and subtle fragrance.

This fragrance gets quite a bit of love on the Fragrantica forums. Volupte, while floral, is quite bold and ambery, a scent that will either charm you or revolt you.

It starts off okay, with a strong yet feminine floral opening, with a hint of sweet melon. As it settles it becomes sweeter and in some ways, harsher.

The complexity is pleasing, however I must admit that I found this fragrance too heavy on the sweet accords and the floral notes, especially in the heart. It's rich, thick aroma is one that will appeal to those with an acquired taste. I just didn't have the taste for this one.

The sillage and longevity are commendable, and before this begins to sound like a negative review, I do find this fragrance very unique and interesting.

It wasn't so strong that I felt like I was choking, yet it was one that made me feel a little dizzy every now and then, and I really applied lightly. The drydown was lovely however, a beautiful, powdery amber and incense blend with just a subtle hint of what had been featured before.

nyoka
nyoka

This one isnt so green as it is floral.THe opening of it is strong with melons and sweet mimosa.It then evolves into a strange concoction(YET BEAUTIFUL) of lily of the valleys and carnations.The florals r loud and pronounced.It reminds me of the girl at the prom with the most beautiful dress!AS she slips outside with her date,the night scents r strong and alluring.THis comes from the woody,patchouli drydown.Great sillage,lasts a long time and no smell of FISH!!! To me anyway.

very similar to Tresor by Lancome

perfumoplus
perfumoplus

I think this must be the worst scent I had the misfortune of buying.
Being a collector and lover of perfumes, I was rather taken aback by Volupte's top, middle and base notes. Yes, it is a strong scent without a doubt, but it has the most unpleasant smell of rotting fish.
Just to make sure, I gave my friends the 100 mls bottle to try and all but nine of them thought it had a fishy smell.
Of the odd 200 perfumes in my collection this is the one that ended up with a rating of zero !
I will keep the 75 mls bottle (unopened) in my collection....the 100 mls bottle will never be used again.
There are a lot of strong perumes re: Opium, Poison, Samsara, Shalimar etc etc BUT at least one can use these without feeling embarrassed.

perfumoplus.

sistertricked
sistertricked

I would start by saying that I would not consider Volputé a floral green, but a complex kind of oriental scent. On first spritz there is the scent of skin, of fresh young skin (the smell of my son coming back from the playground), something very individual and innocent, airy but persistent. It then develops into something sweeter (flowers blooming) and I discern the mimosa note and the osmanthus. With the drydown the scent becomes warm, as if it had honey among the notes, and I find myself sniffing my pulses frequently. There is nothing sharp or stinging, on the contrary I see Volupté easily turning into a signature scent, as it brightens up with what becomes a personal glow and has very good lasting power. One spray on the pulses and then chafe pulses behind your ears, that's how it works.

ShorTea
ShorTea

I found this to be an amazing perfume, especially for the price of $15.00 at TJ Maxx, the full florals are just amazing to me, I get a little leather in it too,so it's like a stroll through a damp forest in the spring, wearing an old well worn leather jacket, smelling a combination of old damp leaves from the fall, and new buds opening on the trees for spring. My review is odd, but the visual that this conjures up is delightful.

guest_cporter73
guest_cporter73

I have loved volupte since it came out adn was so sad to find that it was discontinued. now I only seem to find old stock of it and wonder how much the smell changes over time. I'm hoping to find someone how can whip up a batch of something that smells the same....

dalmajen
dalmajen

I found this too heady for me.As i love Oscar, thought I would like Volupte, but found it too fruity and somehow heavy. I couldn't put my finger on which note put me off, but wouldn't buy it again.

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

I am not sure if i like this one,but i am sure it is not a floral-green but oriental-floral.I both dislike it and like it at the same time.It is pleasant but there is some notes that gets kinda like sharpto my nose.I think it takes a special woman to carry it well,because it is a mature scent.I think it needs a real lady/woman style to match it and thats probably why i cant use it..But it is a nice classic,a must try for the classic lovers

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

Indeed, Volupte is different from everything I have tested so far but, alas, not in a positive way. For me, it is definitely a retro fragrance with a strong green and even spicy opening. Then there is a bitter and salty nauseating note that vanishes into powdery violets (if you manage not to take a shower before that). I guess it might be pleasant on the right woman as it is a full-bodied scent with lots of character but it has no place in my collection.

golden
golden

A scent i have worn many years ago.
As Allexa27 stated not a scent for the faint hearted.
But i have to say i adore violets in a scent so purely based on that i still like it.

allexa27

for me is deffinatelly oriental floral with destinctive violets,lots of violets(the smell probably comes from the heliotrope) and warm amber and incence.Very feminine,powdery and sexy smell.It is strong perfume and it is not for the faint hearted.Lasting power-very good

tangledvines
tangledvines

I spritzed some on while sampling perfumes and almost gagged on this one. On my skin it smelled exactly like buttered rum and popcorn. Strangest combination ever. Yuck.

Sassy1
Sassy1

The initial bold fruit jolt only lasts a few minutes. This smooths out to a soft spicy green accord which is worth the wait. It is a full bodied fragrance, definately a throw back in the strong 80's style. Long lasting and perfect for fall. If autumn colors had a smell, this would be it.

CaraMia
CaraMia

A stunner from Oscar de la Renta and Sophia Grojsman, Volupte is a full bouquet of beautiful flowers. Yes it is a powerful scent but that's okay as many of the modern niche scents are pretty powerful too and nobody complains much.

Volupte is indeed voluptuous and lusty a femme fatale scent much like Oscar's first scent. It does not pretend to be a light fruity floral or an ethereal floating scent, it rocks the room.

Wouldn;t wear this beauty to the office, but it's fabulous for a romantic dinner.

Lolly007
Lolly007

At first this smell is unpleasant stinging in my nose.
After some time that puts.

Beim Aufsprühen ist der Duft sehr stechend in meiner Nase. Nach einiger Zeit legt sich das.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Oscar de la Renta Volupte fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Oscar de la Renta Volupte, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Volupte by Oscar de la Renta. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Volupte by Oscar de la Renta represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.