Designers » N-Q » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Calandre Paco Rabanne for women

Calandre Paco Rabanne for women
dislike

aldehydic
Calandre Paco Rabanne for women Pictures Calandre Paco Rabanne for women Pictures

Calandre was launched in 1969. This feminine fragrance is very difficult to sort into a certain group of fragrances. Citrusy uplift of bergamot in the top notes follows the floral heart with white rose, pelargonium and hyacinth. The base is woody, powdery, with intensive musky notes.

This perfume’s designer is Michael Hy, and the bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand. The nose behind this fragrance is Michel Hy.

Aldehydes Green Notes Bergamot

Orris Root Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Geranium

Sandalwood Amber Musk Oakmoss Vetiver

Rive Gauche
Eau de Calandre
En Avril Un Soir (original)
Coco Mademoiselle

Calandre Fragrance Reviews

MariaEvaLuna
MariaEvaLuna

One of my all time favourites, a wonderfull fragrance. It may be discontinued, however I just ordered a 100ml bottle online.

Fiducia
Fiducia

I began wearing Calandre in the early 1980's. My husband says it always reminds him of our honeymoon. I had the perfume, bath gel and body lotion - I loved it! Then we could only buy it via the internet because no retailers stocked it. Three long years ago, he moved in with someone else. You can only imagine the devastation. Then he started to visit more. Or meet me for lunch. One beautiful day, I arrived home to find a tissue wrapped package on the kitchen table. Calandre! With shaking hands, I simply texted "I love you". When we next met, he said "I just wanted you to have your Calandre. It smells so lovely on you". We're a few meetings on now. Let's see what happens next!

stacia79
stacia79

Quite an unusual scent. When I first tried it I thought "soapy, musky, it's nice enough" but then an hour passed and pure magic happened. That oakmoss and aldehydic blend over a rose settled itself into my natural skin oil. I thought perhaps it had faded already when I got into a taxi. The female cab driver told me I smelled beautiful and I realized that it had not faded at all, my nose had simply gotten tired of telling my brain about it. Minutes later, I met a friend at the airport and as we embraced he nuzzled into my hair and remarked how I smelled great. This is just a soft comforting smell, but also crisp and green. I also wore it the day we buried my grandmother and catching little whiffs of it was nice during that difficult time. I sure wouldn't mind owning a bottle of this.

Shadow_Witch
Shadow_Witch

I originally swapped for Calandre because my idol Lauren Bacall died. One of her favorite perfumes was Calandre. I sprayed it on and just swooned. Calandre smells just like I remember vintage YSL Rive Gauche smelling on me. It also smells like a softer, less cloying Hermes Caleche and is definitely reminding me of vintage Ma Griffe. All long-time favorites.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

It is start with aldehyd-green note that smells like vintage perfume (it is kinda vintage), then develope into something like green floral layered with musk-powdery note. It has quite good longevity on me (6-8 hours), with medium projection. The thing that a bit suprised me is I never thought Paco Rabannce would have this kind of fragrance in its collection, regarding the current Paco Rabanne collection dominates by sweet note fragrances. It is trully a gem!

brian.cloutier1
brian.cloutier1

The best classic summer comfort fragrance..... White Linen Estée Lauder and this are summer staples.....

Plrowden
Plrowden

This review is for the original fragrance blend. When first sprayed I thought I had walked into a lumberyard where they were sawing all types of different wood. This initial impression was almost immediately replaced by a scent that was so very familiar, yet I couldn't quite place it. I went about my business for a few minutes and sniffed again. THERE! I finally identified the spice cardamom! It is not one the pyramid of notes, but that's exactly how it smells on my skin. A while later, I sniffed again. Another strange aroma appeared--it smelled just like a grapefruit smells when you peel it. So now I have a mild cardamom and grapefruit rind that is quite pleasant mellowed by the underlying woody notes. to my surprise, I didn't get the zing of the aldehydes in Calandre. I LOVE aldehydes and rather missed the high I get when smelling them. I am sure they are there working their magic, but in a most subtle way. The dry down is just heavenly. Out sneaks the softest jasmine who blends so well with the other scents that have left their distinct impressions but the cardamom is still waving it's arms, saying I'm still here. This is a very satisfying scent. It is clean, interesting, and very spritlely. Like a wood nymph flitting through the woods trailing her jasmine scent. It is ever so feminine and very, very chic. Silliage is, on me, soft to moderate. Longevity is about 2-3 hours. I would love it to last longer. Intoxicatingly lovely scent.

SolangeN
SolangeN

Used to be a bone dry green aldehyde bouquet, like a spring garden blanketed in snow. Slapped you with that same classic "cigarette butt" hit to the sinuses Madame Rochas packed.

Tried a recent iteration and all that's left is a faintly aldehydic whiff of hyacinth. What little is there lasts maybe 2 hours.

Another one bites the dust.

edna maria de lima rocha

pode aposta um perfume marcante ..

Scentmad
Scentmad

This is Rive Gauche's slightly angular, marginally less attractive older sister. That said it is really lovely, spicy and inviting. I bought this based on the references to RG and I am not disappointed. Given this was released before RG I can only imagine YSL saw it's potential and refined it further. All in all a real winner of a perfume.

Adjames
Adjames

Beautiful...clear and fresh, with a dry down that lingers. Classy, confident and very smart with a touch of sweetness that I love. There is nothing else like this one...evokes fond memories and I wear it still when I want to be noticed and it works in a soft way. When I wear this both men and women tend to love it!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Modern version. To me there is nothind aldhydric, light floral chypre, very neutral, pleasant, longevity is max 2hrs. Safe for office, nothing strong and unpleasant there. Classic style, I wish it was more concentrated and lasted longer.

aber19
aber19

I went to a Chemist and this perfume was priced $19.00 for 100mls eau de toilette. This bottle does not have any Proctor & Gamble trademarks anywhere on the bottle, to indicate it has been reformulated. I thought perhaps the perfume was off, but decided to try it out.

Well, what a wonderful surprise! Firstly the box came in a large silver rectangular image on the white cover with silver writing. The bottle is exactly as above picture highlights. The bottle is easy to use and elegant.

This perfume has a natural smelling fragrance which is little like first van Cleef, and but quickly translates into a stronger YSL Rive Gauche fusion. I found the current YSL Rive Gauche very expensive and often does not last very long on my skin. I even tried the reformulated block cream coloured boutique perfume which lasted only 30 mins on my skin.

Alternatively Calandre lasted over 8+ hours lingering on dry my skin. Yes, it a truly wonderful, beautiful fragrance, I have placed it on my clothes which will last over 12+ hours. This is classic perfume making at its best.

You can buy it on Ebay for $100, but it is quickly going to become rare. I recommend it for mature perfumistas to least have the opportunity to try this floral fresh, clean, smooth lingering and uplifting exquisitive perfume. I am seriously considering about buying another bottle. You could wear this perfume at any time and anywhere. Remember a little spray goes a long way, it is quite strong and the quality is of a great eau de parfum. This fragrance is truly value for money.

ChrisInBrooklyn
ChrisInBrooklyn

This has obviously been relaunched without much fanfare...I'm definitely interested to hear more of a side by side comparison with the vintage Calandre, as well as Eau de Calandre, which I believe has also been relaunched. I bought my mother Eau de Calandre in the early 90's and absolutely loved it on her...

rainbow.owl2
rainbow.owl2

June 2013 - this is back on Paco Rabanne's website and available in a UK department store.

maybe someone will comment on reformulation?

Cecilita
Cecilita

I used to love this perfume when I was growing up and used it for years. i was disappointed when it was discontinued. Recently I found it in Amazon and ordered a bottle. However II was very disappointed because it does not smell at all like it used to. I would have thought that considering the price they could have at least respected the original formula. I won't order it again...

edna maria de lima rocha

amooo amooo amooo esse perfume realmente ele parece um pouco cm CocoMademoiselle e o Rive Gauche....bem na minha pele eles lembra o Calandre e vice&versa ...

ginadantas
ginadantas

I was a teenager when I first met Calandre. The boyfriend of my older sister gave her a little bottle of Calandre and I remember it was delicious. Now I am 43, last month I decided to buy it because I wanted to feel that aroma again. Unfortunatelly, it doesn´t match to the scent I had inside my mind... It is diferent... I am still testing Calandre, I don´t know if I like it anymore... I don´t know what happened. The only thing I know is Calandre is not for Brazilian summer, nor Brazilian spring. Maybe it is suitable for fall or winter... Lets see!

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

I enjoy floral aldehydes, I love Calèche but that doesn't keep me from valuing some others as Madame Rochas, White Linen, Calandre and Rive Gauche, I consider each of them deserve and won my respect.

Calandre is without any doubts the most contemporary and unisex of the group. Probably because it isn't as sweet as the rest are in their particular ways. The geranium gives Calandre's flowers a greener turn and the heavy oakmoss effect in the drydown with vetiver coming close keep sandalwood amber musk trio in the background.

Very nice evolution and reasonable lasting in my skin. I love it for daily early spring, summer and fall. Calandre's sillage is not huge but in today's fruity musky landscape it will be consider by many as quite a character. I find it attractive.

elizamannion
elizamannion

Why do perfume houses reformulate very good perfumes. It is most annoying and unnecessary, I wish they would stop doing this.

josesantoscarvalho
josesantoscarvalho

Hi... I'm new here, so sorry for all the wrong things I may say!
CALADRE was made the year I was born, as was Mother's signature scent, until she died! I've always loved it, but I'm biased! I grew up smeling it, and for me, for decades, it was THE SCENT!
As it happens, after long having looked for it, and every store saying it had been discontinued for YEARS (not true then!), I found some bottles at the Paco Rabanne corners in the El corte Inglés stores, in Spain... who knows... PR is spanish, and they kept having huge stocks of discontinued fragrances... I remember I bought Calandre, Derby (Guerlain), Diva (Ungaro) and some others years after they were out of stock everywhere else... and to the VERY sensitive noses, it may have changed, but it's still GREAT, verging on perfection...

Jinjanoo
Jinjanoo

This is such a lovey perfume. Well worth a try.

nellyrlight
nellyrlight

I purchased this many years after I used it..but I really do not smell the same fragrance..I was so disappointed..as I really was in love with the old version..They must have changed the formulation..The Metal and Calandre were my two most favorite and what they sell right now as Calandre has nothing to do with what I used to know about it..

Eriu
Eriu

I love it! It's so vintage ... <3

celebrity89
celebrity89

My go-to in the 80's. The last bottle I got was at the Beverly Hills Saks in '85. Judy's clothing store had a replica called Havoc that was dead on.
I don't see Calandre anymore.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

Smells like a 2/3 part Chanel No. 5 and 1/3 part Chanel No. 19. So to me it is a modern, sassier Chanel No. 5. This was my mom's fave perfume and she used the EDP, the EDT, the Middle Eastern Edition, and the Cologne. According to her, the best one was the Middle Eastern edition she got during the mid-80's. It could have been a dupe or whatever, but she said that it smelled richer.

I used to spray the EDT and it smelled very modern to me. I was 10 then--it was 1995 but I couldn't help but sniff the air around me.

It smells rebellious yet classy---if there's such a thing. I would not wear it simply because it is my mom's imprint. Also because VC&A's First recreate the effect for me somewhat but I have to wait for hours to the Calandre-like part.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Calandre reminds me leathers trims cars in the 70's. The era before air coolers inside cars...
Very vintage.
Very chic also.
So timeless too...
I own it of course !
And i use this scent on summertime...

transitionalobjects
transitionalobjects

Very sensual & natural, sexy in a late '60s way - confident and not contrived. The drydown is exceptionally beautiful, the longer you have it on your skin the better it gets.
A fragrance that has caused more than one man to stop me to say they love the way I smell; so much better than the question 'what perfume are you wearing?'

Jellybean
Jellybean

Rich nutty and woody fragrance, with floral base offcourse. Strong at the first sniff, but once applied it blooms with earthy floral aromas. Aldehydes and oakmoss show up mid way thru, accompanied by lily of the valley for the lasting impression. I see the resemblance with Hermes Caleche, aldehydes and oakmoss in a very similar way.
Vintage and classy perfume.

StargazySkye
StargazySkye

This was a signature of mine for years. I don't wear it as much now, but I always have a bottle on the shelf. I have a scented skin oil and body lotion too. I think I got them in Canada the last time. They do not present as sharply as the spray. Once Hermes came out with Amazone in the 70s, I began using the two together; that's how I like them best. I loved this in my 20s and I love it still, but so many wonderful fragrances have come along since and I can afford more than two bottles now!

smellME
smellME

This is yes to - a aldehydic burst the first ten minutes of bergamot not lemonish like a lot others, then it turns Rose, jasmine, pelargonium which actually is prominent and strong.. I dont know about the drydown yet, but it can only get better... I´m sure !

Dry down turned out to be a woody nice one with lily o t v musk cedar oakmoss and amber to me. I dont find it old ladylike at all but maybe its because I´m both middle aged and a lady !!
: )

A beautiful soft flower scent, soft but still there, not screaming flowers like Ralph Lauren Blue initial notes ,does. (love that too, for that matter)

Really like it a lot even though its not
sweet enough for a sweet girl...oops - lady !
- like me..

akats
akats

Yes, it reminds me of Rive Gauche and Caleche, (dislike them both) but this one is gendle, nice and has not that synthetic smell like hair spray as Caleche and RV have...It's quality never screams, and as it is very well balanced and a rounded subtle composition, you may love it, or just sympathize it (as I do) It is elegant and subtle,and once you have the right chemistry for wearing it, then, it works beautifully on you. I think is the best of all these similar (cool aldehydic) fragrances. Unfortunatelly, it is hard to find, but when you do find it, it's price is very reasonable.

suzysushi
suzysushi

Calandre has been my signature fragrance since it came out. Rive Gauche is a poor substitute! I am so sorry it has been discontinued, and yes, I'm hoarding my last 1/3 bottle! It's a very classy, longlasting fragrance that works with my body chemistry to smell unique.

jtd
jtd

I get the comparison between Rive Gauche and Calandre, and I love to put one on each wrist just for kicks. It’s fun to watch them both unroll over time. Try the same with Estée Lauder’s White Linen and Calandre. It feels like the same experience as with RG, but the sides have been switched. If RG was on Calandre’s left, then WL sits on its right. Forgetting for the moment who came first, the comparisons of A:B and B:C yield so much similarity, but studying A:C is like comparing apples to aldehydes. There feels like virtually no connection between White Linen and Rive Gauche.

My take on the RG/Calandre comparison is that, contrary to general consensus, Calandre is both ligher in weight and darker in feel that RG. Yes, RG’s rose is darker and Calandre’s chromium shine is brighter than RG’s. And, yes, RG has a dark resinous opening, but the resins grow sweet over time. In the end Calandre has a sharp green chypre facet that RG doesn’t. This is Calandre’s darkness. This chypre aspect is also what makes Calandre seem more tart than WL. Also, the rose in Calandre seems metallic when compared to WL’s sweet rose.

Juxtaposition aside, Calandre stands beautifully on its own and were I to keep one of the three, it would be Calandre.

Has this really been discontinued? What a shame.

krmarich
krmarich

Calandre was post modern, ultra chic and now too good to be true. Its was very stylish in 1969. Indeed, its aldyde-floral mastery could easily fit onto the 2001 Pan Clipper. It was futuristic glamour ready for the perfume world. Frosty roses mingled with other flowers that commanded attention. The oakmoss has a unique "changed" quality to it

It was never really popular in the USA-usurped by its follow-up Rive Gauche in a few years. However it had an audience that held on until its removal from the market in 2000. We all lament this never to be forgotten glimpse into tomorrow...

Klee
Klee

My ALL TIME favorite fragrance. That's the one I want to be doused with when I'm in the casket on the way to nether land! Need to add that to my WILL! I absolutely LOVE Calandre and HATE they DISCONTINUED it! A travesty and tragedy!!!

BNice
BNice

I love Calandre and started wearing it in my 30's. Before then I ad had brief affairs with other scents: Tigress, Blue Grass, Miss Dior and my mother's favorite, Chantilly; even Jungle Gardenia. But Calandre to me was the "Essence of Advertising Woman"-- feminine but not too sexy, professional, not someone who was trying too hard to be 'one of the guys.' In short, a woman who knew her feminine strengths but could play with the big boys without compromising herself.
I can't believe that Paco Rabanne would discontinue such a classic fragrance. But since Fracas (a much less feminine scent in my opinion) was discontinued and then brought back, I have hope that Calandre will not be off the market forever. In the meantime I will just have to hope that there will always be a few bottles left in out of the way places. I refuse to hoard since I believe that if you love it, you should wear it. I don't think of Calandre as a fragrance of any particular time (unlike Poison eg which I think of as from the 80's-90's-- same with Opium). But maybe I' just misinformed. I really do wish that they'd bring back some of the "lady smells" of my childhood. Arpege by Lanvin comes the closest to what I remember. I'm finally old enough to wear them!

jasmasid
jasmasid

What will it take to induce Paco Rabanne to start manufacturing Calandre again? The few bottles that can be found here and there on the net are prohibitively costly and one can't always be sure it's the real thing. There will be NO other fragrance quite like this one, ever! (Same goes for Metal, unique in its own place.) Why did Paco Rabanne give up making such exquisite, unique scents only to resort to populist cheap-smelling -- though not cheap -- stenches?

oxm
oxm

Calandre of Paco Rabanne is a unique scent: it has a very large bouquet, the flowers and the rose on all stand out as a sort of skyline through the fragrance notes of bergamot and refreshed by the aldehyde, the fund is sumptuous and seductive woody ,musky encyclopedia is a perfume in my opinion, as it is ever evolving and can almost hear the notes separately.This fragrance deserves a lot of respect because it is a masterpiece if it had not already been created to be invented, the woman carrying it, with man always starts in the lead. Among the noises of summer evenings, also come from my window pleasures brought by the breeze, she dressed in white just around the corner ...... but its scent is left the air like a soft sigh.
It was the early discovery of the wheel.
Middle Ages invention of printing.
1492 discovery of America.
1969 moon landing.
1969 ... Creating a Calandre
Chanson d'amour...

arlie27
arlie27

I wear it...still love it...you can buy it on Amazon

DJnDC
DJnDC

I began wearing Calandre in the 80s. Sophisticated, crisp and left a subtle sensual note whenever you passed someone. Just loved it, now it's either off the market, too pricey or out of stock if some sites have it. The only cologne close to it was Woman by Jovan. Subtle but oh so sensuous! Both colognes made heads turn and smiles appear, perhaps an eyebrow raised as well. True, it's not for everyone. If your body chemistry works well with it, wear it! I've worn YSL RG as well as Blue Grass, Tweed [another classic though heavier]but Calandre will always be my favorite.

ShannyO
ShannyO

For the love of all that is holy, why did they tamper with the original formula?! Calandre is definitely a cherished memory for me from childhood, it was so beautiful and stylish. I hadn't been able to find it for years, but a couple of years ago I located a bottle and bought it immediately for my grand"mother", she had always adored it so. We got it and.... well, wow. It was NOTHING like the original, it smelled like a nursing home.... that mixture of bodily smells combined with industrial cleaning materials. That was my grand"mother"'s assessment, and she was 92 at the time! I can see why it's now discontinued, but in its prime.... simply fabulous!

candymarie
candymarie

Dominated by ALDEHYDES. As Sherapop said, if you're not a fan, stay away.

This was my first grown-up perfume when I was a teenager. I loved it then. Until I discovered Chanel No. 19 . . .

I recently sampled Calandre because I couldn't remember what it smelt like. I'm surprised now that I loved it so much back then, because of that aldehyde domination. My, my how our tastes can change over the years.

Objectively speaking, however, I do think it's one of the good ones.

As a big fan of floral aldehydes (CALECHE, FIRST, WHITE LINEN...) I've been wanting to try Paco Rabanne CALANDRE for some time, especially after seeing the thread mournfully titled "Calandre-less world". Thankfully, BronxBeauty came to my rescue.

CALANDRE is slightly more oakmossy, or perhaps it's just less everything else than CALECHE and FIRST. In a side-by-side comparison, I find that the narcissus and civet in FIRST really leap out, and the florals bloom brightly in CALECHE after a few minutes of a vetiver-rich opening. The floral midstage of CALECHE eventually gives way to a glorious soapy drydown. CALANDRE, by comparison, seems pretty tame. I find it closer to WHITE LINEN edp, not the parfum, which is my favorite form of that composition and has a crystalline beauty all its own. I certainly like CALANDRE more than the reformulated JE REVIENS--which passed through my hands pretty fast--but it doesn't really compete with the floral aldehydes already in my collection.

No one who dislikes aldehydes is going to like CALANDRE--that's a guarantee. I think that it is a fine representative of its class, but I definitely prefer CALECHE, all things considered, so I'll survive quite well in a CALANDRE-less universe. Phew!

VKW
VKW

Noooooooo! I've been wondering why Calandre had (1) shot up in price and then (2) disappeared completely from onlne retaiers. Now that I've read Cubby's review, I know why. Argh! This is (er...was) one of the loveliest summer scents ever...green, slightly powdery, very clean. Of all my perfumes, this one holds the record for the one I am most often asked about, "what is that you're wearing? It's wonderful!" (most often by men...)

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I must be getting better at this because after trying this I guessed: old school (aldehydic) rose talcum powder.

It is an exceedingly feminine and delicate perfume, akin to silky lingerie, yet it is firmly vintage in its expression.

In the interests of unbiased reporting, I have a gorgeous talcum powder that smells very similar to this but it holds up better and the rose doesn't turn sour on my skin like it does here. I like to wear my talc to bed and pretend I am in a Jane Austen novel and that my bedside table lamp is really candlelight. A wholesome night's sleep ensues.

hiraeth
hiraeth

I had it some 15 years ago - my whole room smelled - on me it mostly smelled of sandalwood mixed with lily of the valley - very romantic. Unfortunatelly, I only was able enjoy it for 2-2.5 years, now I can find it anywhere. Pity, very interesting perfume - went extremely well with my suede and leather jackets...

Kterhark
Kterhark

(vintage review)

This sample came by way of a fellow perfume lover (and like you, Nebraska, Minnesotans love scent too!)

As soon as I sniffed this I knew it could only be sent by a true connesouir. Wow, what a lovely scent! I can't pick out any one note as it is all blended so well. What I like, and this is my personal preference, is that the aldehyds don't smack you over the head with their presence. This is very, very smooth. It wears like crystal, actually, so pure and clear.

I've worn this three times before reviewing, and each time the scent lingers for an hour and disappears. i suspect this is due to the vintage, or the EDT aspect.

highly recommend trying if you can!

Cubby
Cubby

I love Calandre. Unfortunately, I was introduced to this scent in early 2010. Finding it harder and harder to locate, I wrote Paco Rabanne. They responded that it has indeed been discontinued. I felt it was closer to the original Rive Gauche, which is why I loved it so much. I cannot stomach the current formulation of RG. And I'm so sorry PR decided to stop making Calandre.

Sharp green bergamot over sweet sweet florals sort of mucks up on me. This is heavy and aggressive on my skin and therefore a certain no-no. Pass.

Cereza
Cereza

I can admit that this is a masterpiece, but I have a problem with soapy fragrances and Calandre is very, very soapy at the opening and heart, therefore I will never be able to enjoy the amazing drydown this fragrance offers.

visione
visione

I used to wear Calandre back in the seventies, and even today's formulations bring me back to those heady times. I also wore Rive Gauche when it came out, and there is a line of influence. Of the two - neither of which I currently wear - I preferred Calandre because I found it lasted longer on my skin, and somehow had a more upbeat "feel" to me. (Plus, I was always SO disappointed with the RG spray - it seemed very "downmarket" to me, and I am one of those who truly loves a beautiful presentation, from the outer packaging to the container - it's part of the romance of scent for me. At any rate, I'm happy to see so many people still remarking on Calandre. It's a cherished memory for me!

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Thanks NathalieZ for the sample!

So delicate! Impossible to find offensive. I love florals (usually most aldehydes) and this one is a classic. To me, it is not a harsh modern scent, but has a vintage feel to it; soft and powdery. This is the scent that is left behind on scarves, gloves and inside purses!

efm
efm

Distinctive - wouldn't pass the corporate mentality of perfume houses today, as "not for everybody ".This is not a marketer's dream. It is strange, metallic,and stark. If you are past big American florals, you will be fascinated by this. Not for little girls.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

Liked it a lot more in the 70's when I was a kid. Reminds me of the days of disco and nyc nightlife. I bought a bottle of this thinking it would be great and although it is a gorgeous scent, I just did not enjoy wearing it anymore. The smell is too much "itself" and does not really morph or blend with your own chemistry. It just seems to sit on my skin and not move...very strong, too. So, I donated this bottle.

rithacha
rithacha

Thank you weegee for the generous sample! :)

Calandre's similarities to Rive Gauche are very very striking. Props to glitteralex for identifying the shared nose that created both!

If you've smelled Rive Gauche, recall the metallic zing of the cold aldehydes in the begining, with all the fiery crystalline character of a sword. Then imagine a cloud of powdery orris root smoothing out the sharp edges, with lily of the valley blooming upwards to fill out the skeleton of the composition. Where Rive Gauche was iris and geranium to my nose, Calandre is much more flowering with white petals of lily and the pink whisper of a rose. Further and further into the drydown, Calandre departs from Rive Gauche and becomes softer and greener.

If you haven't smelled Rive Gauche, get to a tester. There's no way to describe that category of aldehydes in words.

I find it ironic that I describe Calandre in terms of Rive Gauche, when Rive Gauche came afterwards. But there you go - if you appreciate Rive Gauche's distinctive character, but want something less metallic for springtime, give Calandre a go.

mymlan
mymlan

Dewy fresh roses, a pinch of powder and musk after an intitial cold metallic blast. Calandre is an adorable, modern and timeless fragrance similar to vintage YSL RG (eventhough i remember vintage RG even more aldehydic fresh). Very wearable 24 hours a day. Its inoffensive but rare enough to receive attention from surrounders. Calandre is something I won't recommend to my friends as I want to keep it for myself :)

edit: I forgot to say that the drydown is amazing, and it lasts for hours and hours...

Zaleska
Zaleska

This one makes me remember a King Diamond's song:
"Grandma welcome home
You have been gone for far too long
Is this a dream? Are you really back?"

guest_angelic disgrace
guest_angelic disgrace

My favourite perfume & so hard to find in shops.I've worn it for the last 20 years & haven't found any other comparable perfume.It smells so good,not too floral with musky undertones.I like the powdery aftertones once I've worn it for several hours.I've been stopped by strangers wanting to know what fragrance I'm wearing & I think that speaks volumes.

Jasper
Jasper

A fresh burst of roses, the white ones. So fresh and drenched with early morning dew.
Beautiful combination of the sweet lush scent of delicate roses with crisp green leaves. I think it one of the best green-floral I’ve ever tried. Very modern and easy to wear. The floral notes when dried down is still as powerful as its opening, just more rounded and rather powdery.

peanut
peanut

Calandre is the scent of my twenties, but I still pull it out now and again thirty years later. It is an arid scent, and perfect on a humid summer day as it simply will not wilt. A classic.

glitteralex
glitteralex

Calandre '69 was the inspiration for YSL's Rive Gauche '70, and created by the same perfumer. I find RG much brassier and intensely aldehydic, especially in the top notes. I adore both of them, but find that most Calandre fans do not like the domineering floral qualities of RG.

LORENA
LORENA

My grandmother had it, she had bought it in france,And when she died I bought one for me, It´s a classic, but I never wear it.I think it goes well with 50year-old women or more

scenthound
scenthound

This is a very classy fragrance. My real estate agent uses it and it's no wonder people like being around her - she smells so good. Not for everyone, though.

Calandre by Paco Rabanne 4.23 out of 5 based on 313 ratings and 64 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Paco Rabanne Calandre fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Paco Rabanne Calandre, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Calandre by Paco Rabanne. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Calandre by Paco Rabanne represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.