Designers » N-Q » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne for men
dislike

I have it: 588 I had it: 507 I want it: 191 My signature: 13

Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne for men Pictures

Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Paco Rabanne was launched in 1973. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Martel. Top notes are rosemary, clary sage and brazilian rosewood; middle notes are tonka bean, lavender and geranium; base notes are honey, amber, musk and oakmoss.

Rosemary Clary Sage Brazilian Rosewood

Tonka Bean Lavender Geranium

Honey Amber Musk Oakmoss

Paco Rabanne Fragrance Reviews

Casavulva
Casavulva

One of the best fougeres of all time, and also one of the eldest aromatic ones.

Beautiful start, a very rare if not unique herbal-citrus accord, perfectly balanced between bitter-sour-sweet. A little soapy (barbershop), but not as extrovert as Azzaro. Very slowly changes into a more dry, bittery green drydown.

Lasts all day on me with one spray.

Paco Rabanne has been described as a modest scent, well behaved and "melancholic". To me that makes sense, for this is the signature of my best friend in my youth. He died in a tragic accident in his 20s. For many years I could not wear this at all.

Now I do occasionally, and every time with respect and appreciation.

richtea
richtea

Very Lemony, Soapy traditional Barbershop smell from this one
Actually good quality for its style
Hints of Rosemary and odd herbal touches appear and drift away
Of course its hugely powerful with great longevity
An astringent Fougere with a distinct sharpness
Very Masculine and definite
Not to be over applied but is a little more elegant than some of the 80's "Bad Boys"

acmilan221
acmilan221

Personally I don't rate it. It smells like soap and other bathroom products combined into one.

roll4fun
roll4fun

Test spray from secondary store: A pleasant initial impression that reminds me of the old Hai Karate cologne from many decades ago. I mainly got the rosemary and lavender initial notes, with woody notes in a supporting actor role. Although honey is listed as a basenote, I'm getting it mainly as a top note.
Projection seems solid, not overpowering. After an hour or so, the initial sweet blast fades into a mildly sensed, generic woody/musk concoction of sorts. Like so many frags, this one practically disappears after 2 hours on my skin, totally gone after 3. I'd try this in a pinch, but it won't supplant some of my current rotation,(yet).

lollero
lollero

It's just like shaving cream. It's very manly and projects like crazy but this is a little bit everyday scent for me there really isn't anything unique about it. It's way too strong and outdated for me to wear.

luistdc
luistdc

This is a great scent from my puberty years. I have recently came back to it for the grey Winters days of the European Northern counties...I still love it especially after a few hours as the scent becomes more discreet. Having said that, it has changed as the bases notes have been enhanced in recent years, I think. A great classic anyway.

Ricardo the Great
Ricardo the Great

You name them and I've tried the best and most expensive men's colognes on the market (Creed, Chanel, YSL, Prada, Guerlain, etc., etc.), but PR Pour Homme ranks right up there with all of them. IMO, this is PR's best fragrance without comparison. The new PR releases are not even in the same league. If you enjoy a fresh, clean, masculine fragrance then you can't go wrong with PR Pour Homme.

Dioguh
Dioguh

I just bought it yesterday and I love it! Incredible longevity.

JohnB2014
JohnB2014

This is simple; if you have a hairy chest, a nice beard and you are manly=All the real females will be at you with this one… 10/10!!!!

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Another example of a reformulation turning something classic and quality into something sharp, nasty and synthetic.
I disagree with the reviews that class perfumes as dated or old fashioned, that shouldn't matter in the slightest. What matters is when a fragrance is turned from something wonderful into something that resembles old socks. I get that ingredients get banned and become too expensive, but why don't firms just kill them off, as opposed to producing fragrances which lack any sense of quality. This i'm afraid to say is now horrible.
This review is based on what's available in 2014, not the bottle I had back in the 90s.

pedrozanforlin
pedrozanforlin

Definitely, this perfume is not dated and not become popular. Or rather, he's famous, but today, people use very similar perumes, aqua type Giorgio and similar things, not that it's bad, but because they use many similar perfumes, these older perumes as Paco Rabanne, became almost exclusive because no one else uses them, at least around here.
I think with a sophisticated and classy scent! Wonderful.

toto453
toto453

For me that is a mature scent. A classic from Paco Rabanne. Not for me however very good on other people ! This is a must for mature and male man !

ashishpal_007@hotmail.com
ashishpal_007@hotmail.com

too much powdery , dry, rough and toilet freshner type fragrance . (i have an older version). the latest one is smwhat nice .

RobbieX

To add.....A gorgeous, classy, clean fragrance and it's a classic! Always got to have some in my drawer.

aqua_de_la_vita

After a very long winter, I decided to try PR again......if you can say WOW you know how PHENOMENON this fragrance is!!!!!!

A side note: l was so fortunate to find a tester bottle which I definitely know that the notes are slightly more than the packaged bottle. With about 75% of fragrance's you'll notice that the longevity is more which is what hooks you to buy the fragrance.
Now, about this MASTERPIECE of a real masculine fragrance!!
PH opens with a burst of herbal/woodsy aroma. Both Rosewood and clary sage mixed with lavender, tonka bean and musk makes this fragrance untouchable. After an hour, the frag settles with a unique aroma of sweet/woodsy aroma which I absolutely love!!!
Longevity and Silage are both EXCELLENT lasting well past 10hrs hours on my skin.

Overall view,
Out of all PR'S fragrances, this one is without a doubt worth more than all his other's combined and that's why this one is an absolute GEM.
Rating this frag...A PILLAR of a fragrance which deserve one rating....10/10

grug
grug

A great classic that gives a fresh, clean and green aura. It's strong and bold, but can be worn very discreetly (1-2 sprays tops), where it will occasionaly pop up as a sweet mossy haze, before hiding again. Of course, it can be applied/worn as a powerhouse too, and people will smell you coming. That said, unless completely over applied, i can't see it as being offensive as it's not sharp, pungent (apart from the opening) or odd, and is basically a very familiar sweet almost soapy smell. I use it a lot as a casual fragrance, when i'm not interested in smelling distinct - just clean and comfortable. As for age appropriateness - I'm 30, and have only ever received good compliments on this - some very good ones at that. I think this is probably dependent on sensible application.
As far as the reformulation - i have bottle from 2011, and a small, recently opened bottle from the early 90's. The newer is definitely sharper and more complex in the opening, has a bit less oakmoss in the base, but ultimately dries down very close to my older bottle to the point that i wouldn't bother chasing down another 'vintage' bottle. That said, I haven't smelt the current bottling and am not sure if it's changed from 2011. Given many oakmoss based fragrances have had the remaining oakmoss stripped post 2012 formulations, it's possible this has too. Given how much I wear this, i'm considering checking this out.......I'd happily hand over the relatively small cost of a bottle for a back up of pre 2013 if there are changes.

pronose

has nothing to do with the orginal formula!!!! it was a great scent and now it's a poor scent! why they needed to reformulate this one too????? rubbish !

DSun
DSun

The problem: the oakmoss basenote is just not there. IFRA's 0.1% totally killed Paco Rabanne for me, along with other stuff.

The solution: I bought the oakmoss essential oil from Givaudan and added a few drops to a decanted 10ml bottle. What a difference! Problem solved. Up yours, IFRA!

Four weeks later: oooooohhhh....that oakmoss-honey drydown....yummm....now let me see what happens if I add a drop or two of vetyver...i'll know in a few days/months... :-D

O2
O2

٤١ عاماً خلت من عمر هذا العطر الكلاسيكي المعمر ! والذي صدر مطلع سبعينيات القرن الماضي
وتفوح من قنينته الخضراء الزمردية رائحة الماضي العتيق تلك الرائحة الندية التي اختزلت وحاكت
ذكريـات أجيـال مـن الرجـال والقامـات ممـن عانقتهـم واحتضنتهـم بطيفهـا المخملي الآسـر وكأنهـا
وضعت عن كاهلهم تعب الحياة وصخبها وأخذتهم بهُدوء ولطف إلى عالم الاسترخاء والتأمل ..

“باكو ربان بور أوم” روح العطر !

Circuit FAiry
Circuit FAiry

As a child my mother used to purchase Irish Spring soap, she loved the scent. This scent is just that. I didn't connect the soap to the brand until I read the post below. Thanks Class you nailed it!

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is a flat scent that doesn't develop, the list of notes would seem to portray and dynamic manly scent but this is a truly dated scent. Is Irish Spring still on the shelves? If it isn't is probably for a good reason. It is a dated granny scent. Not for man or boy to wear but perhaps for the recollection of childhood of showering with a green bar that left your skin feeling terrible.

class
class

The initial scent opens to be very green, herbaly and bright. It reminded me of Irish Spring soap. But after 30 minutes of this, the scent stayed the same, very linear and unchanging. So while it is a safe and clean soapy scent, it is one that I personally would not buy for my tastes, because I find it to be a tad boring.

tucktimosprime
tucktimosprime

I'm sure people are right about the old formulation,, but as far as the new one goes,this stuff is disgusting.
I've downsized my collection as I wasn't getting to wear half of them,,so I sold a lot to friends and family, but nobody wanted this stuff,they all stuck their nose up at it and passed..I wouldn't even use this as air Freshener,, just a soapy musky mess..

usas
usas

"Serious soap", that's what's comes to mind when I smell Paco Rabanne. Classic, a bit outdated. Nothing sweet about this one.
At the moment it's not for me.

I don't know what it is about the winter but it also compels me to revert to these dated, manly fragrances.
This one is awesome, it's a masterclass in Fougere. Paco Rabanne is herbal(rosemary,sage), fresh and a little green(lavender) and with overriding bass tones of musk and oakmoss. I really enjoy it and I can remember my dad and subsequently me, wearing it in years gone by.
Long lasting and powerful this one is a real mans fragrance.

Goktug

if you are a boy go away but if you are a men take it, very well done fragrance.

Teahupoo
Teahupoo

This is so strong!

Very masculine, but I think it's outdated. If you don't wanna remind people of 80s guys, I'd say pass on this one.

JohnMc
JohnMc

It must be winter time. My compulsion to hark back to 70's/80's power scents takes hold at this time of year. Whilst only months earlier (in the summer) it was all about the light and airy aquatics in my humble collection, I now find myself wanting to spray Lapidus, Kouros and Krizia Uomo first thing in the morning! Needless to say, after originally thinking that Paco Rabanne for Men was just too powerful even for me, I now find myself enthusiastically spraying some from a tester in my local department store! The siage is not as full on as people would lead you to believe and the dry down is great. I'm a convert - I admit it! Whatever next, a conversion to Polo original?

vsnrao36
vsnrao36

I totally agree with the view that the reformulation has all but killed this great classic favorite of mine since 1991. Very disappointed with the last two purchases as I was wondering if I got a duplicate bottle as it was not close to what it was earlier. Only now realized that the reformulation is the culprit. I have settled for Polo (Green) as my replacement now and very happy with it.

This one falls into other such reformulation disasters like Drakkar Noir, 1881 by Cerruti,Lanvin Pour Homme, all favorites earlier, just to mention a few.

spartan
spartan

Huge disappointment! The current reformulation of this is AWFUL!! It smells nothing like the original, do NOT wast your money$$$ on this. Instead Buy A bottle of Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland, it is 10X Better Juice! I am not sure why Paco Rabanne felt the need to reformulate and use cheap inferior quality ingredients, with the success of 1 million they have the $$ to keep this top shelf juice if they cared to.

1/10 Current Paco Rabanne

10/10 Patrick of Ireland

sussex2
sussex2

I know it can be very tedious listening to someone prattle on about reformulations and all that sort of guff - but I will anyway.

I just recieved a 1990s formulation of PR. The new version is fine, I have nothing against it. But when you spray on the oakmoss-heavy old stuff - wow, what a difference! Its as if you had been listening to your favourite record (mp3, vinyl?) with the bass turned off. Now the switch has been flicked you get to hear it (smell it) in all its heavenly glory.

Barber shop perfection.

ed
ed

I'd describe this as a classic men's fragrance. And that's precisely it, it will only suit men - it's not a teenage frag. Best for approx. 30 or older.

Paco Rabanne pour homme is an aromatic fougere. The top note is very fresh and herbal with a note of lavender. The drydown is green and rather animalic (not like the intensely animalic Kouros). It smells like a traditional and established aftershave.

I'm surprised PRPH hasn't received more love on here. I imagine it's because it doesn't appeal to young noses. (It is not a sweet fragrance, and it smells much better on a man than on the paper testing strip).

My bottle is a number of years old. It's possible there has been some reformulation since then....

PRPH is also extremely good value. You can get amazing prices online. I don't want to offend, but I think it's fair to say that Paco Rabanne have been responsible for some pretty dire fragrances. This is by far the best of their men's line. No doubt about it in my mind.

butfly23
butfly23

This is the only, I mean only scent that I like on a man. It makes my knees knock and my insides go googly. Bliss. There could be the ugliest man with this on and I would not notice his face just the scent.
I am female.

ChelseaJack
ChelseaJack

My 1st love and I still use it today. So me and Paco go back over 30 years. It's also the only fragrance that I never stopped using. That makes it a through classic in my opinion.

meredithwx
meredithwx

This scent will only ever remind me of my dad. (in a good way!)

redrapturelove
redrapturelove

An exquisite,fresh,sporty,romantic,sublime fragrance.
I think it is wonderful for men to wear.
A classic that never leaves memory.

BoergeSmalls
BoergeSmalls

This is a sporty and very masculine fragrance, a bit soapy and fresh, i recommend this for everyday use, it always makes me feel good, it`s perfect to apply after an trip to the gym.

chri5tin3
chri5tin3

My mind automatically screams day spa when i smell this. Its my brothers but i absolutely love it on myself. It is actually very feminine yet very masculine at the same time which boggles me yet i am thankful that i can enjoy it. Its very sweet, soapy and just.. natural. Reminds me of essential oils, really therapeutic fragrance. The definition of aroma therapy.

aqua_de_la_vita

I recently came across Great Jones by Bond 9. When I sampled that frag it did remind me of another frag but I couldn't figure out which one? When I checked Fragrantica, a lot of people said it remind them of Paco Rabanne. It would of drove me crazy, as soon as I read the reviews the light switch came on..Oh ya !!!! Since I had sprayed Great Jones on one wrist, I went out and found a store where I could sample Paco Rabanne and I sprayed it on my other wrist. In my opinion, Paco Rabanne was far more pleasant then Great Jones. I found Great Jones too strong where as PR was far more clean and revitalizing .

The first few notes that I can detect as soon as I sprayed it on me is the amazing aroma of Rosewood, a real masculine note as well Clary Sage, Lavender and Geranium. I really enjoy the floral notes with Rosewood mixed the Tonka bean and honey giving this frag a real fresh clean aroma with a mildly sweet scent making for a unique and one of kind aromatic frag.
Longevity is excellent..it lasts at least 8hrs on my skin.
Sillage is moderate not heavy. A lot of frag back in the day were far more heavier then PR.

Overall opinion,

Now, regardless whether you feel it's a dated cologne or not you must admit that if it wasn't for these amazing fragrances that were produced back then who knows what kind of frag we would be writing a review about !!!!
Now, how can you determine whether PR is a classic or not??? It's simple, you can go to almost any retailer small or big and you can still find it available to buy. If this was a thing of the past, you wouldn't find it in a fragrance boutique, instead you find it in a dollar store for a buck or two.
In my book, HANDS DOWN OH YES IT'S A CLASSIC.10/10
Paco Rabanne if you read this review, all I can say is... don't stop producing this amazing fragrance, it would be a shame if you did !!!!!!
I could have a bath with this cologne, the aroma is AWESOME !!!!!!!!! Go for it and see for yourself, you won't regret it !!!!

zungo123
zungo123

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is the first fragrance that I have ever received and used. My mom bought it for me from her Myer gift card and she told me that one of the store workers suggested this fragrance as it was his signature scent. By the way, my mom loves Pour Homme too. (so does my brother hehe)
Now, I can understand why. Pour Homme is the reason why I've been whisked into the fragrance game.
The opening reminds of a calm soapy feeling with a hint of musk and rosemary. As time goes on, the oak moss and lavender begin to develop into a well balanced masterpiece. My first impression was that it smelt like warm lavender soap but in a good way. I love the woody feeling of the scent. It makes me feel relaxed and focused.
Usually I only spray once on the neck and once on my wrists and that lasts around 6-8 hours which is pretty decent. Its not a really in your face kind of scent, but people should be able to smell you if they are like a meter away from you.
I usually pull this off at night, around autumn-winter months but I reckon it could also work in Spring and Summer. It depends on the individual I guess.
Overall, this is my signature fragrance as of now and when I finish my bottle, I can't wait to get more and stock up :D

Goktug

When I wear it I feel better...one of my best !

Svezzy
Svezzy

I just love it, very masculine and very different from the mass.

GMK
GMK

It is undeniably a classic of its time, few folks use to rate it as one of the best fragrances ever created for men , well i respect others point of view but every thing has its time and pacco rabanne did well in its time but now it becomes a slightly dated(not in a very bad way ),especially at dry down it feels like a cloying lavender scent.

still its better than hundreds of available water down / fresh / lime / aqua scents.

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

I'd like to lay down in a forest glade on a soft bed of fern fronds and pine needles, rest my head on a pillow packed with fresh lichens and pull a blanket made of green moss over me to keep me cosy.

Or I can simply reach for my bottle of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and I'm transported to that marvellous imaginary place.

It's little wonder this magical potion has been a constant companion of mine for over 30 years.

This is a nice, clean old school type of male fragrance. There is definitely oakmoss, and you'd have to like oakmoss, but it's not particularly fierce. Paco Rabanne smells like a fancy, male marketed lavender soap.
The honey is a nice touch to counter the herbal and mossy notes, though it is faint and more on the animalic side.
If you're a fan of Gianfranco Ferre for Man and want something a bit cleaner and less obtrusive, try Paco Rabanne.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

Overall rating: * * * *

NOTA BENE: This review is for the VINTAGE formulation

If you ever wonder why veteran Basenoters lament the new restrictions on classical perfume ingredients, find a sample of vintage Paco Rabanne.

Why? Oakmoss. Paco Rabanne was all about oakmoss, and oakmoss is on the IFRA's list of restricted substances. Oakmoss was used as a fixative, but also to provide "gravitas" or depth to aromatic fougeres like Paco Rabanne or Azzaro. New perfumes use substitutes like Treemoss or synthetics to mimic the effect, but NOTHING compares to the real thing.

What a tragedy! Vintage Paco Rabanne is a triumph of the olfactary arts. It is clean, fresh, and green but absolutely refined at the same time. Think of classic Polo turned down about 4 notches. Paco Rabanne was a fragrance that was equally appropriate in the office and at the club--it was almost as popular as cocaine at the famous Studio 54 in New York.

I can't really comment on the new version since I've only sampled it a few times. It struck me a kind of weak green-citric wine cooler.

Needless to say, the heavy dose of oakmoss made vintage Paco Rabanne a sillage and longevity monster. another major difference from the reformulation.

eliweisz
eliweisz

Hello Eighties! Hello, memories of magazine ads promising countless sunny mornings after endless nights full of passion... Hello, equally pleasant memories of rich and powerful scent emerging like Aladdin out of green bottle...
Alas, the scent I tested today in my local perfume store is completely different from Paco Rabanne Pour Homme I remember. Probably it's my age. Or my skin. Or reformulation. But the opening was nearly unbearable, synthetic, overpowering, reminiscent of some floor-cleaning liquid. After a quarter of an hour it calmed down a bit but retained its synthetic and aggressive character. In two hours more it gradually turned to sweet with notes of pine, sage and spice. Rather cheap, although.
Sorry, Eighties! Sorry, PRPH aficionados! Sorry, Paco Rabanne! They call you 'Classic', 'Eternal', 'Masterpiece', and maybe you still deserve all these titles but I know a lot of much better frags.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Mean, Green and Clean! At first, ages ago, I thought, "Ah, it's a more expensive analog of English Leather," because of it's soapiness. I realized very quickly that the soap was less flowery in this one, and that it has a lot more aggressive greenery going on underneath. It's a semi-piney green, maybe a little like Bowling Green but less sweet. While Guerlain Vetiver (pre-2000) is to me a smoky green with a little added soap, this is a more even mix of green and soap. It's still a clean man, but more of a manly clean man than English Leather, and maybe less lofty in its goals than the Guerlain. For some reason I could see French or Italian guys (including American mafiosos), and moreso older ones, wanting to smell like this, and I certainly wouldn't argue with them. It's almost utilitarian in its simplicity, but it's not generic or uncreative. I worry about a little hint of sourness in there that I don't like, but it never gets strong enough to annoy me.

sagarjanvekar
sagarjanvekar

clean, fresh, long lasting Eternal.....

orestes

unfortunately this fantastic fragrance reformulated in 2003....

Knickx
Knickx

Good pick for summers. Has a good longevity.

hameedbilal
hameedbilal

nice frag...
very masculine
to me its a bit sharp...but its got versatility..
classic and timeless....doesnt have to be old man's scent....
grandfather can wear it....so can grandson....;)

missan

It might be possible to find similarities between this and the original version, then again it might not. While I find the vintage one of the best ever made, the present one might be something you could use, or not.

Some might say it can be good in its own right, that could be true for some, but then the name should be different methinks.

Bbjr
Bbjr

I don't get all this talk about this ( or any other fragrance) being for older more mature men. I'm 49 and mature ( my wife may differ with that) and I used to wear this WHEN I WAS IN MY 20's!!!! It smelled good on me then and it still does. Age doesn't mean squat. If you like it, wear it. It's all in the skin chemistry and the nose anyway. Every single fragrance smells different from one person to the next. One loves it, one hates it. Live and let live folks.
I wear Fierce from A&F and people say " wow you smell good" not " wow, you're wearing a young mans cologne. Ah,I feel better now, thanks.

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

I just picked up another bottle of this classic juice. Old school? Yes, but who cares. Do I have better scents? Sure but that's not the point. Just like they'll be listening to Sinatra in 2100, they'll be wearing PR. Class never goes out of style.

GIMP
GIMP

My first lover used this in the day. St. Louis Mo. Yes, there was a scene in the day. That was 1979. He was tall, dark and sexy. Sideburns, handlebar mustache, hairy chest. He smoked, drank and was the best lover I ever imagined. The epitome of macho male beauty at the time. He was everything people think of when you think of MAN.

The thing I remember the most was his most powerful attribute-Paco Rabanne for men. Green, rugged fur covered man love in a bottle. Perhaps some rosewood and jasmine to make it a little sensitive. Oh, those days and nights we spent in bed with the only thing between us was his Paco Rabanne. It was a long, hot summer and those days and night will never be forgotten.

I grew up. grew older, bought a few bottles of PRPH just to remember him. He was one of the first men to pass into the AIDS consumption I knew in 1985. I love you forever, Mike!

hadrian
hadrian

I just can not imagine a spring or a summer without PR Pour Homme!
It’s one of the first and still remains the best from the house - even in the new formulated shape. Because nothing compares with this good old oakmoss & lavender explosion.
The man who respects himself will always have this green bottle on a scent shelf.
Outdated? May be, but only for those guys inherently immature who think real perfumes are created by Justin Bieber. Classic? Oh, yes. Period.
A must have, for the next century.
A deserved 9+/10.

WayneDN
WayneDN

This was a nice cologne back in the day. I think there are far better scents today.

ruchitdave23
ruchitdave23

this is a classic scent without being old or out dated
i dont agree with ppl who say that this scent is for old men .....no......its a nice clean crisp green woody balmy smell . i love it and although i do not own a bottle right now i have used up two bottles in the past and know that in the future will buy another .
in my opinion it can pass off very well as an everyday office professional scent .
good for late evening strolls too.
overall 7.5/10

Siete Cueros
Siete Cueros

Gave the girlfriend a bottle of PR Calandre (a true classic), liked it so much that going thru Duty Free I purchased the PR for Men on a whim. The women in my life all commented, "Mmmm smells good what are you wearing?" No other cologne has ever had the same approval rating on my skin. It is clearly a MANLY fragrance, that starts, runs and finishes well. It is complex, lasts and radiates better than all my other ones.
When the reformulated version came out I was very disappointed. In another Duty Free whim, I purchased two 1-Liter bottles of the oldie. Never had cause to regret it.

pronose

not the one it used to be!!!! the orginal formula has changed and also the scent! dommage!!!!! why they do this to us!!!!!!

amaan.khan
amaan.khan

Alert: Don't trust anyone when they say this is 'outdated' or 'old' or 'grandfather stuff'.

This is a great fragrance and you got to have one in your wardrobe.
Recently bought this and it will surely shine in my collection. Love the rich and tender feel of this fragrance.

Truly a CLASSIC this one.

Jun0711
Jun0711

This cologne is good for casual use by adult people. This is good cologne for Spring & Fall seasons.

Another classic gentleman scent,that I admire for it's long lasting presence in the fragrance market,aromatic and manly smelling juice,that I will continue use in my rotation of scentware,one the building block scents to start a collection with...old to the new!

jaypleski
jaypleski

I keep a small bottle of this because it takes me back in time whenever I smell it, somewhere between 1982 and Kouros. It's a loud, crass barbershop smell, but it has a Freudian hold on me.

alexanperes
alexanperes

This is way too green. It remind me of a swamp. It won't please 6 out of 10 people who smell it.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I used to wear it in the 1980s - in my newly-married college years - but have grown past it. I sniffed it recently... it brought back pleasant memories, but it's certainly not something I would wear now. I've since gravitated towards darker, less green and soapy scents. Chypres, not fougeres.

I smell this now and think, "Why did I ever wear this?" Because I had the perception that people thought it was good, that's why. I had an immature, untrained nose compared to what I have now. I'm more confident about my taste nowadays and I'm more assured about what I like - the happy result of smelling lots of fragrances.

ahmadnademi
ahmadnademi

عطریه که من در زمان نوجوانی ازش استفاده کردم و زیاد خوشم نیومده،ولی ماندگاری زیادی داره،توصیه میکنم قبل از خرید تست کنید

I am quite enamoured with this old-school masculine. It's surprisingly sweet for something so manly and rugged. However its sweetness is part of its charm.

As odd as this may sound, Paco Rabanne pour Homme takes me back to my childhood years, as an aspiring young dancer. This fragrance smells the way the backstage dressing rooms smelt. A mixture of face powder, lipstick, hair gel, wet paper towel, old-school tanning lotion, a smoke machine and dusty costumes. It may not be the most pleasant sounding description, but if you were to look upon such scents as fondly as I do, you would understand.

Even though Paco Rabanne pour Homme smells like a dance concert some fifteen years ago, to a skilled nose, Paco Rabanne pour Homme is a sweet, powdery and slightly green aromatic. The dominant lavender note is smooth and soapy, with a touch of sugary honey, vanillary tonka bean and musty oakmoss.

It's not a fragrance that I'd expect to smell on a young man. Paco Rabanne pour Homme is after all an old-school classic, a scent that many would associate with older, more mature men. To my female nose, it's not a sexy fragrance, but more of a comforting and inviting scent.

It's soapy without smelling too clean, and green without being too sharp. In other words, it is nicely balanced and easy to wear. The only precaution I would take, would be to apply it sparingly, as the projection can be rather strong at times.

Sometimes it's good to smell the classics to get a feel for the fragrances of the past, those that have ultimately been the inspiration behind some of our newer scents today. Here's hoping that Paco Rabanne pour Homme sticks around for another few decades.

Bobster
Bobster

Ok Props for this old school masculine for coming out in the 70's sadly it should of stayed there. To be fair I am referring to the current formula and not vintage. I have never smelt the vintage but this new formula to me is flat, weak, and no character. Seems the longevity is ok but that's about it. This doesn't show me anything new or anything I haven't come across before. In fact the dry down to this reminds of Charlie for women cause my mema wears that and when it settled on my skin that's what it reminded me of. I will pass on this.

fraggrenade
fraggrenade

my dad's fragrance haha waaaay before one million

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

After some very nice notes it leaves a rancid drydown tone which is not at all pleasant. There are definitely a lot better classic perfumes around that are true 100%. Go for them instead.
This may be due to the reformulation though. But this PR of today is what you currently get in the store.

babel
babel

It was the perfume of my teen years. Before blossoming into a famme fatale (in my dreams...). Whether unisex or not, this is the scent the 'heady intellectuals' at my all girls middle and high school wore. Clothing accessories surviving since my teen years - some 35+ years later - still smell Paco Rabanne! And my set drawers at the family home houses a bottle or two half full from 1973-1975. I have to admit, I never smelled this perfume on a male. But the scent forever conjures pictures of powerful women in my mind. It is not a sensual, erotic smell. It is the smell of power. Not the power of attraction, but the power of persuasion.

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

Definitely a classic fragrance.
It smells almost like most men grooming products. Musky clean, herbal and soapy...

limited Edition
limited Edition

This fragrance during the 80s ( and I was there) was always a fringe dweller..You liked it or you didnt..I swayed as I think it had something to do with the herbal basenotes..Today , 20 yrs on , i would generally wear this fragrance as a casual every day ,non event scent..I like it..7/10

Alexandre

Certainly a classic and masculine, distinctive, herbal, Polo Ralph Lauren style . Most suited for formal occasions. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with it, maybe it's a matter of skin ...

vdonida
vdonida

um perfume maravilhoso

candy-datura
candy-datura

An interesting thing. Flowery-bitter-soapy. At least in the modern version. Someone can decide this perfume is for grandpa, like many classical colognes.

5/5, because it smells good (even noble) and cheap by price (not by feeling).

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Gustav Mahler once said, "I hope you will no longer accuse me of a lack of delicacy, as I now count on your understanding." I have put off reviewing Paco Rabanne because, unfairly or not, I've always assumed people were already familiar with its famously progressive green bombast, which many have already written off as crude, and superseded by better aromatic fougères. Paco is indeed the first mass-market aromatic fern, and as such is now entirely deserving of our understanding. Nevertheless, I've also procrastinated on reviewing Paco because its characteristics beg high praise and scathing deprecation in equal measure, which essentially nullifies the effectiveness of a review, especially for those who haven't yet smelled it. Reader beware: you can really only get the full measure of this scent by wearing it yourself, and letting your nose and heart decide how they feel.

Let me get the bad stuff out of the way first. Paco's biggest dilemma is one of balance. While Azzaro Pour Homme, Drakkar Noir, and Tsar exhibit smoothness in their heart accords, Paco shifts like a Japanese army jeep from a bracing citrus-herbal top, which smells quite green and bitter, to a super-sweet coumarin middle. The sweetness is compounded by hints of honey and tonka bean, lending the accord a nigh-unbearable shrill, like boiled caramel that bubbles after being plopped in a glass of ice water. None of this would be an issue if the crystalline top lasted longer, but no, it's gone in ten seconds, and the sweetness endures for much longer.

Paco's third stage is somewhat smoother, with the sweetness giving way to a coniferous, almost balsamic woody greenness, which smells excellent. By now the aromatics have settled, the coumarin has integrated itself, and resinous, mossy woods have taken the helm and guided the old box home. I believe this is where a lot of guys smell the "shaving cream" element. What's better is that Paco's drydown lasts an incredibly long time, with a terrific six hour arch before thinning out. Altogether it's a nice scent, marred by thirty-odd minutes of cavity-inducing sweetness. If you're in the market for an aromatic fougère, my recommendation is to buy Tsar by VC&A instead, as it's cheaper, better balanced, a fragrance that understands the limitless potential of that which Paco Rabanne proposed.

sameel

this is simply a masterpiece!if someone doesnt like this one ......has some serious problems with perfumes!

orestes

The vintage scent are better! After the refolmulation everything changed....

Migalex
Migalex

I should not be commenting on such a classical scent. It is by far the nicest aromatic fougere scent I know. This one does smell nice while most of the others do not, at least for me. This one has got a very good balance and is not sour, unlike most of the other ones. It is not sweet either, just the right balance. And has got some depth, there is more to it than the common fougere theme. Also, it is unique, and not similar to hundreds of others. But there is no need to say it, everyone knows that. It is quite strong as well, unlike most of those thin, faint, ephermerous scents very trendy these days.

missan

I agree with ericrico, the Worth pour homme is slightly similar to vintage Paco, it´s in the same vein. But vintage Paco is a masterpiece, not so today´s Worth, IMO, or for that matter today´s Paco.

ericrico

Actually, colormechris, the closest Worth bottling here on Fragrantica is the Blue Box (as shown above in "This perfume reminds me of") - the standard, Worth Pour Homme. The Vintage juice of Worth Pour Homme is even closer (as they both share oakmoss). The Haute Concentration (in the blue & red paisley box and tall flacon) is a patchouli-laden bomb with medicinal lavender, sharp carnation, pine and some serious moss that goes on like motor oil (but does soften somewhat over time) - but it is a "powerhouse" fougere!
The composition of Haute Concentration has very little in common with Vintage Paco. Interesting juice (damn good and strong), but the true Aromatic Fougere (and a very good one) is Worth Pour Homme! The top is sharp - a blast of lavender, herbs and citrus, pine needles, warming to the skin with a nice moss, musk and integrated vetiver and coumarin (tonka bean) and then it differs from Paco, which I like as I want something different than my dear Vintage Paco Rabanne - it veers off to a base of leather (and still a touch of light moss that lingers along with a few other base notes for hours). It wears close to the skin and has light sillage, but very good longevity. Just a quick correction as Worth Pour Homme is definitely an honorable mention in the Aromatic Fougere classification and very affordable!

Vintage Paco Rabanne - nothing like it! Period.

scenteena
scenteena

colormechris, you nailed it. Paco Rabanne and Zizanie are my two fave male frags of all time. Was so sad to read that Paco was the latest fragrance lamb to be slaughtered. Another classic stunner butchered beyond recognition. For those of you who have purchased the more recent "hatchet job" that still goes by the name of Paco, and you're happy-perhaps it's best you didn't know the original. You would only be heartbroken.

sameel

just bought this perfume 5th time and love it even more every time i buy it simply awsome!10 out of 10! note:to those people who like this perfume must try cacharel pour home 1981 version you guys will love it!

colormechris
colormechris

This is my favorite "men's" fragrance of all time. But not the current version that's currently on shelves. The original formulation, which is getting harder and harder to come by. It's completely different from the current. It's all about soft oakmoss and the interplay between the honey and the lavender. Today's version is a loudly synthetic copy. Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentree is very much like the original version of Paco Rabanne PH. I would recommend getting that instead of today's Paco RPH. Well,if you must have today's formula, go for the shower gel.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

I agree with and affirm what ericrico said about this fragrance. It was so ubiquitous in its heyday because it is so goshdarn great-smelling, period. I may put this one on my personal altar.

thor
thor

Paco Rabanne pH, Azzaro pH and Rive Gauche pH - the 3 Pour Hommes that i've completely surrendered eternal loyalty to! The Genuine Man will and should always have either of these three as his staple.

Paco Rabanne pH was one of the most significant harbingers of Masculine fragrances (i like to think of it as 'the most significant'). Its a timeless wonder that has defiantly withstood the test of time(together with Azzaro pH) and will continue to do so. It easily makes my top ten list. I will forever be in love with it!

But i seriously don't get these 'old-fashioned', 'grandpa-smell', 'cheap', 'dated'...etc, terminologies. I can understand its from the early seventies and hence the baseless prejudice towards it(but does that really matter). Well, for me, all that matters is that it smells great(and its not only for the elderly crowd to enjoy cos any young man in his 20s can easily pull this scent off). REAL MEN will definitely appreciate and love this absolutely MASCULINE offering from the house of Paco Rabanne.

For the haters, all i have to say is - TIME to shed your parochial, sissy mentality and MAN UP!!! ... LOL!

I give this scent a solid 9/10.

oxm
oxm

How long have I wanted to write something about this scent, but I always had a kind of awe to be able to describe, so I'll try to do it my way.
Paco Rabanne pour Homme is a timeless classic, I do not know if it's still best-selling as a few years ago, but its charm remains intact in the head notes I see rustic and aromatic honey from the bottom, but very strong pulses and flowers blend well with everything else, is a scent very hot and can perhaps be called the progenitor of gourmand fragrances that so are all the rage these days, it is fascinating and captivating decided, secure, elegant and definitely masculine certainly suitable for cold days, give them a opportunity and if you love the classics, this is not you in the lurch.
Rabannessence.

ericrico

The greatest scent ever created for man - period. Yes, I love other scents, but this is my tried and true favorite. To me, the epitome of class and best ever masculine scent, not just the best fougere ever, shamus1! :-) I own and wear Original Vintage juice and the first reformulation (Newer Vintage from the 1980's)...no comparison to the post-2000 reformulation with the Oakmoss diminished. Vintage is King! Epic & a true masterpiece in fragrance. There is no other scent in the world that smells as wonderful as Vintage Paco.

I won't bother going into the notes - we all know what it smells like. So many great reviews here! It is still totally relevant today and as refreshing as it was when it came out in 1973.

My signature scent of all-time. 10/10.

rafael.cevidanes
rafael.cevidanes

Lavander, Oakmoss, Honey and Brazilian Rosewood are the most noticeable notes I could perceive. This fragrance smells too well here in Brazil, as it is very fresh and surrounding; it's one of the most succesful international fragrances in my country. It is not so outstanding in cooler days but it works good in hotter periods.

8/10.

missan

This is for Sport de Paco Rabanne. Not really what I would call sporty at all, more similar to a fresher and lighter chypre version of the vintage Paco. Lovely.
9,5/10

frangellan
frangellan

I tried this today. When i asked the saleslady to try it, she looked at me like I had 10 heads. "For you?" she asked. After the originally herbal, soapy opening I thought I could pull this off but after it settled I realized why she thought I was crazy. This smells like grandpa. Very fresh and stimulating, but there's no mistaking its age. Its heavy and powdery and lingers. Not for everyone, and probably not for anyone under 50

Alexandre

Um clássico certamente, bem másculo, distinto, herbal, no estilo Polo - Ralph Lauren. Mais indicado para ocasiões formais. As vezes eu acho que há algo de errado com ele, talvez seja uma questão de pele...

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

I knew a guy in high school who all the girls seemed to like. They remarked that he always smelled like Zest or Irish Spring. Either he showered during lunch breaks or he wore Paco Rabanne, I can't say for sure which.

In true 80s fashion, it could peel the paint off the walls if you over-apply. If your coworkers' eyes are watering up around you, you may have overdone it. In low doses it is very pleasant. The ladies may not be all over you but you will smell nice at least.

Opens green and strong, mellows out into a soapy clean and slightly powdery finish. You'll smell like you just stepped out of the shower all day. It's not exactly "sexy" but it is clean and fresh-feeling.

Projection is good, longevity is good. I get a whole day out of it, I can still smell it when I get home from work.

I like it.

sniff-sniff
sniff-sniff

My wife and her oldest son collaborated on buying my first bottle of PRpH almost 15 years ago during a visit to Costa Rica. I have always had a bottle since, and go through them regularly. A very masculine, woodsy scent. Not as strong as it used to be, but I always shake the bottle before applying, and the scent is still there. I usually use it when travelling, so she (my wife) can take full appreciation of the scent when we're in close quarters. A spray, and I go back to Costa Rica for a moment every time.

jibran.akram
jibran.akram

Fresh But My Previous Comments Says
I WANT HEAD TURNER PERFUME'S
PACO NOT FOR BOY'S
ABOVE 40+

narigudo
narigudo

great classic. starts very strong . the opening is quite scary, with a huge explosion. but after a few minutes,the scent turns into a pleasant herbal smell.like a beautiful wet garden. still nice and versatile, even nowadays.

lucamalnati
lucamalnati

a legend. amazing.

williamvargas
williamvargas

i remember the first time i smelled this fragrance in 1976 or so, i was in hi fi stereo equipment sales, and this guy smelled so good to me i was waiting on i had to ask him what it was... found out i could only buy it in the most classy pharmacy in town, before the emporium or what is now macys came to town. i had not had experience with a fragrance this exceptional..before the azzaro's came to town..but i knew about aramis which i loved. such a different type of fragrance. I remember thinking that aramis which i had, was in you're face,bold, attitude,a man stating his masculine presence with women..but paco was more about stating his passion for women...at least that is the way i saw it.a lot has happened between now and then, but that was my take on the original juice of paco rabanne.i understand the reformulation is a little diff...i still get the message but it has been muted a bit. but this will always be a special fragrance that i love . i do have the reformulated version in my aresenal ...i still get the orignal magic but it is different , i wish i had the original next to it...tis a shame they do that, the original was very special.
I did finally find some of the older fragrance, and it is truly amazing still
I will list it as one of my favorites, but I am referring to the earlier stuff.
it may not be chic now, but whenever I wear my vintage I still get that magic and compliments, i love reading about all the hate, makes me laugh actually, what a fragrance was in the 80's is so different now. people have evolved and like different types of fragrances. many of the haters probably never smelled it in it's vintage form. no one can remember that long ago. i am sure there are many fragrances that some of the haters love that do nothing for me, but that is cool. not my style to bash anyone's view points. most all on this site are just patrons of scent and not perfumers so it is all strictly opinions.. for me my opinion is on vintage paco rabanne there is not much that i love more.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Tried this one recently. Best described as a very clean, soapy fougere. My wife smelled it on me, liked it very much, and described it as a "clean, out-of-the-shower" scent (Irish Spring?). She questioned why a woman couldn't wear this if she had the chemistry to handle it -- I suppose she could.

It's definitely not a blind-buy, but it's still ubiquitous for sampling. Worth trying to decide for yourself, but not something I'd remotely consider as a signature fragrance any longer.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Sympathy in a bottle,a very vintage/classic s great on a formal decent man who doesnt want to be in the spotlights.
Had one in the 80's liked it.
Now i will not buy it because there are more exciting scents to sniff n discover.

UPDATE: I acquired some vintage PRPH. Apparently, it was reformulated at least a couple times, but I think mine is the original formulation, thougn some of the top notes may have been lost. The new one is stronger, harsher, and more animalic at first, but it dries down (within perhaps an hour) to something less rich and definitely harsher. The vintage formulation is less fougere-like as well, and I'm not a huge fan of the fougere, so I'm happy about this. And for a simple fragrance, it's got nice dynamism that lasts a long time. Compared to Azzaro Pour Homme, this has better note separation, whereas APH is more of a "blob." You may like the "blob" type of fragrance but I don't. APH is more of a human concoction to me, whereas PRPH seems like more of a "natural" experience. Whatever you do, don't judge PRPH by its present form (I prefer the dollar store version to the one offical one, to be honest, though it's weaker, as you might expect).

UPDATE #2: The drydown to this is quite similar to vintage Tuscany Uomo.

Quick impression of the new version from one spray to hand (while wearing other fragrances): Take a little Kouros and mix it with a typical 1980s fougere and you've got something like this. I don't like the animalic quality in this one, and instead prefer something like Montana Parfum d'Homme, where spices replace the animalic quality.

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

Ubiquitous soapy fougere that, along with Aramis, was a staple Christmas gift for dads everywhere in the '80s. It's held up well, a very masculine scent that was an unfortunate victim of its own popularity for those of us of a certain age. I just can't divorce this from its time - I like classic scents, but the ever-present ones from my youth are more or less dead to me because of their overexposure at the time. For me, it always wore heavily toward the oakmoss/rosemary/clary sage side of the equation. If you're too young to remember this from the first time around, it's worth a try as a more mature masculine.

mohanad-202020
mohanad-202020

Hello ... Greetings to all
Possible one of the people know where I find this fragrance
In any possible location
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> parfume trance

jtd
jtd

I grew up in the 1970s (born 1964) in New England and I remember this one. I do not remember being aware of cologne or perfume in general, but I remember PRpH vividly. I liked it, it was spooky-ubiquitous and there was nothing else like it. I remember it as pine-like.

When I smell it now I get the pine reference, but now I see it as the green convergence of rosemary, clary sage, laurel and lavender. The pine ‘snap’, the coolness, comes from tarragon and clove. This is a wonderful fougère. It is soapy, mossy, resinous and barbershoppy all in one. It isn’t terribly complex and it doesn’t show much evolution over time, but it’s wonderfully breezy in a way few scents then or now are.

I understand that PRpH was eventually overshadowed by Azzaro pour Homme, the next king of the hill fougère. ApH is more sophisticated (although even louder) and notable more complex. Still complexity isn’t necessarily a virtue in a fougère. Also, I don’t think ApH would cover the reek of weed quite so well. (A classic use of 70s cologne.) PRpH is less like the Azzaro fougère than it is two that came later: Caron’s Troisièmme Homme and YSL’s Rive Gauche pour Homme. By comparison the Azzaro seems baroque and a bit busy in its evolution on the skin.

I can’t un-stick PR from the 1970s, but if you don’t have that reference, how would it strike you at first sniff? If you knew fougères from, say, Cool Water forward, what would you make of this? I wonder.

jtappenden
jtappenden

Such an easy-going fragrance.Very relaxing & pleasant to wear.

mintiva
mintiva

I love this perfume because I saw my daddy used since I was a little girl...

MMC
MMC

Esse perfume foi uma surpresa agradavél!Apesar de ser antigo,mas me surpreendeu,no início forte parece ter muito pinho,mas depois se torna uma delícia suave.Já havia sentido em outras pessoas mas não sabia que era ele.Muito bom,cheiro de gente rica .Parece muito o monte cristo da paris elyses que é bem mais barato,uma boa alternativa.

missan

Vintage´formulation 9-9,5/10. Today´s formulation 4-5/10. Yes, it´s very sad indeed.

Legzy
Legzy

My First fragrance! Dad bought me a bottle duty free when I was 11 (1990), and I was hooked. In my early teens I was the only kid I knew wearing adult fragrances, and Paco Rabanne made me feel absolutely bulletproof ;-) I ended up branching out to other fougeres, and from there into the vast galaxy of men's frag's, but I always have a bottle of PR in the arsenal, every once in a while I pull it out and it takes me right back. Some think it slightly gaudy, but I reckon it's pure class - Thanks Dad!!

Luforge
Luforge

A Sexy Classic and balanced fragrance! no wonder this scent has been around for so long! TIMELESS......

krmarich
krmarich

This was my signature from 1985-2000. It was very green, virile and relaxing. There was nothing to compare it to-except maybe a stack of new money. I always felt like I was important.

The lavender and honey notes accented the amber-leather-tonka for hours. Oakmoss weaved a brilliant enchantment over then entire composition.

I am down to my last bottle of the classic formula and use it only on special days. When i wear it in public, it never fails to get attention-always good.

Then the tragic reformulation ripped the heart out of it-oakmoss. Its like Calandre will pass into perfume legend. Fragrance is fleeting, yet eternal. Perhaps one day it shall be restored...

Celebrity=Burt Reynolds

Exleftcoastgirl
Exleftcoastgirl

Love, love, love this scent! My husband used to wear this, and I wore Paco Rabanne Calandre.

ION
ION

This is a classic example of how great, perfumes used to be.
A balanced composition (a lovely rosemary accord) full of character, a round full smell that creates a mood.
Somehow passe' but full of character nevertheless!
Wear it and they will remember you.
I've always thought Alain Delon in his golden period would smell like that. Don't ask me why :)

UPDATE: today's version unfortunately (while more wearable) is a watered down edition of the original. The magic is not there anymore. I'd advise you to stop buying it for a while in the hope they come back with a better reformulation.

picasso_x
picasso_x

It's timeless classic man perfume.Very fresh and aroma smell. It's gentle and comfort feel relaxation. Fresh lavender,rosemary sweet honey and oakmoss scent so nice. Longevity 6 hrs on me in hot day. Good for ever day.

cezarmac
cezarmac

When first applied it starts off with a dated smell,but after a couple minutes it gets more clean,a good soapy,herby and fresh smell.IMO is the best PR's mens fragrance.Decent scent,not good sillage and great logenvity.

Grottola
Grottola

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, the original aromatic fougere.... and a very coniferous one at that. Lavender, pine, and tobacco is what I get for most of the scent life with a smooth drydown of moss and honey.

I normally like strong, long-lasting men's fragrances. However, Paco is just a bit too obnoxious and headache-inducing for me. The pine is a little too strong, and I already have Azzaro pour Homme to feed my aromatic fougere fix. Love it or hate it, though, it's a classic.

lipepimpol
lipepimpol

dirty, classico of long ago, it continues firm in the battle with frags of the new millenium, the times like very to use, its green saida and aggressive they bring a welfare harmonious, I feel as an intellectual, phd in quantica fisica, times later the loaded base of musky honey and ambar predominates bathed for lavander, the tobacco inexists in me!
the odor lavander-animalic, now makes to feel me in the abandoned school, teaching to the rats and cockroachs the "quimica theory of the sewers" I love and I hate!
true classico, old school, deserves respect!I would respect more, if it thus respected me!

Castor

Bumblebee: I have the right to buy whatever I fancy, more even so if IFRA's ban on oakmoss negatively affected cherished traditional brands. On the other hand, perfume's recipes are not protected by law, so I am not comploting against anyone. Instead of telling me what to do, tell IFRA to stop messing around with supposed allergens affecting almost no one.

Bumblebee365
Bumblebee365

Dear Castor, IFRA's guidelines are meant to protect the industry from damage that overzealous customer lobbies trying to malign the industry can inflict. That said, given the regulation on Oakmoss, how can paco's reformulation be a marketing gaffe? Remember when you purchase an original, you support the manufacturer and the art. By supporting knock-offs you are not supporting original creation.

missan

This is for an old grey bottle: If you like today´s Paco, this is to be worshiped. A masterpiece.

I have to go easy on this bottle, I may not find this again.

The Brain
The Brain

An old school soapy/spicy/moss fragrance that I like to wear during the winter months.

When first applied it start off with a harsh, harsh, harsh herbal/green (weed killer-like) smell that last for about 2 hours, then as it approaches the mid notes it get sweeter and much more tolerable and user friendly.

But overall probably the best Aromatic fougere from the 70s and 80s.

missan

I found an older bottle that is grey in colour. Will be interesting.

jim
jim

Super ultra over overpowering not for youngsters!

Not much to say about a classic scent like PRH besides is one of the first aromatic fougere ever created (and apparently one of the best too). The problem is that I never liked the opening that smells cheap and absolutely dated. Things get a lot better in the drydown with animalic notes that enhance the darker side of this fragrance, but it's still a scent that doesn't completely match my taste. It worths a try, at least for its historycal meaning, but if you accept an advice buy Azzaro pour Homme or Penhalingon's Sartorial or Or Black. The same theme, a bit revised, but way much better executed.

Rating: 6.5/10 (surely classic, but there are much better fougeres out there)

Mr. Nose
Mr. Nose

I'm sure this perfume was classy when it was launched - 1973. And it remains a little classy nowadays, but inevitably smells old.

Good. But smells as old as it is.

K1
K1

Here's when I say "boys are back in town"!
Here's a great example of romantic moods of a generation who today is working hard for their own families! Nostalgic type of smell fro not too old times.
PR is a harsh crowded greenish iconic vintage smell yet inoffensively rough and green floral. It's the very fragrance of dandy boys in leather jackets; people who are better in muscle!
PR opens so deep aromatic and out of any hint of citrus! This is so critical to come with this perfume in the very step in. Few later, it bring the famous retro combinations of oakmoss/lavender/rosemary which we know from several other examples produces in 70's and 80's.
If it hadn't tonka beam, honey and amber in the dry down, I guess it would turn to something extremely intolerable.

dvbdvb
dvbdvb

i really love this perfume, brings a classic soapy gentlemen aroma to life, definitely a must have for men!

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

classic clean scent !!!!!!! i like it

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

Classic, very clean scent.
You will feel great when you apply after shower. Best for office.
A must try fragrance

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Had to update my review, as its not as horrible as I first thought. Well its not horrible at all, just very old fashioned and used, and in the same way I can't like it.
As an original article, it would have been outstanding in it's time.
Now the likes of Drakkar noir and Lomani, but not cheap, still refined, dignified and smart.
Starts as a classical, citrusy musk and ends a floral musk.

emachadorj
emachadorj

Paco Rabanne is a classic. Not suitable for boys, very elegant. I grown up smelling this. My father uses since was launched and now i'm using too.

fanis46
fanis46

friend Castor i m the Greek and cant say i totally undarstand what u want to say.. sory for that but a rephrase would be very usefull. I really want to know what you feel.

Castor

Greek, feels your are a rep from Antonio Puig, the manufacturer of Paco Rabanne's fragrances: the fact is that everyne loving this scent and knowing it since its release realize that the formulation changed remarkedly, to such a point some inexpensive knock-offs are more akin to what it used to be before IFRA catalogued Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) as an allergenic, which made industries either eliminate or reduce its usage. So, why spend USD 50 for a 100 ml bottle of the original fragrance when a knock off costing USD 10 feels much more like the original formula? Yes, sometimes marketing managers make wrong decisions, this is such a point in case.

guest_fellow greek
guest_fellow greek

My bottle of Paco Rabanne still has oakmoss (evernia prunastri) and its a newlly producted fragrance. I dont know how the original smelled but i guess they are the same at about 95 per cent. People that use to wear this for decades cant indicate any difference. This is my second bottle of PR and there will be always in my wardrobe. I cant understand why this perfume is cheaper than others. 51 euros the 100 ml while others cost 70 and more. Back in the 80ies and 90ies did it use to cost cheaper than the other ones?

I can't fathom how it is that I dislike this scent! I love Pour Monsieur and Antaeus by Chanel, Azzaro's PH is one of my recent new buys I am enjoying all over again, Rive Gauche is super and I even like Royal Copenhagens original scent-why can I not like this juice?

My ex had an 8 0z bottle of this(!) and after I moved in we promptly gave it a smell,(his ex in college gave it to him and he had worn it on, maybe three occasions-albeit very lightly)and it went to my brother-in-law (the epitome of bad taste, and he loved it-along with Preferred Stock, Sex Appeal and Brut!)and as I have gone on collecting and my tastes have truly grown in leaps and bounds, I cannot for some reason see what all the commotion is about...

Yes, it's green and sharp; yes, it's woody, masculine and warm; and yes,it's a powerhouse but something in the base-notes turns me off:the sweet cloying honey and amber or maybe the prolific musk and overly soapy oakmoss. This just leaves me wanting to scrub it off-quickly,sorry to any PR fans out there, that's just how I feel...

This smells extermely cheap to me, like a cheap knock off of a stunning men's designer suit and this is one of those things that I may never understand...

I will purchase a small bottle of this and try it again, you never know...but don't be surprised if it ends up on the swap board. I like to give every juice a second (and 3rd) chance, cause you know: tastes can and do change. Hope springs eternal...

faisal5384
faisal5384

It's fresh and soapy and one could feel they have just taken bath when they wear this scent. Lavender lasts for a longer time!!

varondandy
varondandy

classic,up their with the big boys.ciao!

Sissi
Sissi

I love the opening of Rosemary and the Clarity note of Clary sage starts off refreshing but in a few seconds later it turns to an smoky a bit rubbery scent
and i think Brazilian Rosewood is responsible for that Lavender stands out strong in this cologne with the nutty accord of tonka bean i don't any traces of honey but i love the warm combination of Amber and Musk and dry Sandalwood.

slave for scents
slave for scents

one of my first scents, it still carries an impact. whenever i wear it, women will always look for the origin of the wonderful scent.

missan

Belongs to my top 5, of the best colognes ever made for men, that I have smelled.
The soapiness is addictive. Still oakmoss in the basenotes.
It´s a pity that it contains so much chemicals. Wonder how the original was?

RobbieX

An absolute classic! - herby, soapy, fresh - great male cologne - women love this on a man. There is definitely tarragon, tobacco and other herbs in this, and the honey shines through. It is similar to Worth P.H. (which is gorgeous too), but the honey in Paco really works. When I run out of this, it's an instant replacement.

Sunflower9
Sunflower9

I spent a wonderful weekend with a gorgeous Frenchman who wore this scent. I keep some in my bathroom now and use it as a room spray. The scent reminds me of X and that long ago weekend.

Fred Maple-Hill
Fred Maple-Hill

A strong soapy scent. I didn't like it at first but now it is a good old friend. Best in winter.

andy

this is not a fougere (its very herbal) i consider it really a chypre the moss really gets me

its a great masculine scent but a bit herbal and i think its kinda dated PEREFCT for 30 plus crowd but a little too dry but i like the richness this one has its quite a scent

andy

its an excellent rugged and masculine scent moreso than black xs and its a great guy guy brew that smells invigorating and definately has stood the test of time

highly reccomended

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

This is sex as it was meant to be - a deep form of communication and it gets you on the levels from the base to the top. smells even better after an hour or two. But you need the Skin PH for this - luckily I do. This must have been what Roger Moore's Bond was wearing as he drove his white 1977 lotus underwater and then up that Sardinian beach with a gorgeous girl in the passenger seat. Its suave, dashing, classic - yet eminently wearable. I'd be most surprised if you don't find yourself rolling under the covers in the arms of a gorgeous Euro beauty, with a bottle of Dom P chilling by the side of your bed in some 5 star hotel on the French Riviera. Make sure you douse your neck and inner thighs well with this one. It is hedonism in a bottle.

scenturian
scenturian

Never dying classic scent of old school style. Slightly sweetened high quality barbershop soap smell.
Strong projection and lasting quite well.
Paco Rabanne PH, Aramis, Quorum and Azzaro PH r all same type of smells.
I love em all.

Indro
Indro

My first cologne,an alltime classic,will remain with me for a long time to come.

Ammar
Ammar

I would say elegant perfume, i dont like it on my skin, try this on the fabric & it stays 4 long, i mean really long.

Its nice 2 wear classics on formals;-p

instantjim
instantjim

To me this is a rather simple fragrance, or perhaps it is rather that the components work together so well that it is hard to pinpoint any particular stand-outs. Someone suggested to me that it smelled like soap, but they meant it in the very best sense. I don't really have a well-developed fragrance-vocabulary, but I would say it is very fresh, herby - like a pine forest. It lasts really well. I like it a lot.

guest_René
guest_René

My father used Paco and it was nothing special as far i can remember. I used to wear Pierre Cardin because i liked this parfum it more than Paco.
On an evening just before going to a wedding (not mine!) i discovered i was out of Pierre Cardin, so i used the Paco Rabanne instead. that evening every girli've met told me that i smelled wonderfull. Now more than 25 years later i still get the same compliments of the women, so for my skin there is only one flagrance allowed and that's the classic Paco Rabanne.

EJS
EJS

Paco Robanne was my first fragrance encounter! It's was and still is the chosen scent of my Dad. It's great! Elegant, mature and masculine. Classic.

shamus1
shamus1

Is Paco Rabanne the greatest fougere of all time? Perhaps, but it's with some stiff competition with YSL Rive Gauche and Azzaro Pour Homme. Paco Rabanne is still an outstanding fragrance, almost forty years after its release, and I will never tire of it. It contains all of the qualities I love in masculine fragrances - it's got that herbal "green" accord I love in other fragrances like Chanel Pour Monsieur and Eau de Monsieur, its longevity is perfect (about 8 hours), it blends in perfectly with my skin, and is quite abstract, evolving from a fresh green accord to a warm, subtle musky accord in the drydown. It also ranks right up there with Kouros, Bois du Portugal and Tuscany in the "I'm a MAN, dammit!" department, although that's not something I necessarily look for in a cologne. Granted, historically men have been known to practically bathe in this stuff back in the '70s and '80s, but you can't blame the fragrance for that. I agree that Paco Rabanne can be vulgar and tacky if applied to heavily, but I don't understand why some guys say this smells cheap or outdated. To me, its brilliant.

elm0505
elm0505

My brother wears this one at the moment, and I can't stand it. As some other reviewers have stated, it smells like a cheap lavender soap. I find it too "oldy" for a young man to wear it. Just because it's a classic it doesn't mean it's necessarily good. I'd expected much more from a Paco Rabanne fragrance.

valdano
valdano

This is actually a fresh, yet the most bittersweet scent I've ever wore. But i might assume you guys, this fragrance has its own uniqueness.

I'm not telling you that i like this fragrance. But frankly, I am proud to have it...

So classic!

countbernadotte
countbernadotte

My very first encounter with Paco Rabanne Pour Homme was in 1985. I was then still in high school. I was dating a brainy girl. She told me that though Paco was almost as old as we were, it was and would everlastingly remain the mark of sophistication in a man’s taste.

Because she was as beautiful as she was brainy, I had no intention of losing her over a cologne, so I bought Paco. 20 years later, and some sweet memories still lingering, and I have yet to find a cologne that can replace Paco as the main fragrance in my wardrobe.

I experiment with anything that receives high acclaim, old and new alike. I like very few and discard the overwhelming majority.

Yet despite the age of Paco, and a market full of excellent, elegant and highly sophisticated men’s fragrances, Paco, by the consensus of every man who has had an encounter with it, remains one of the greatest 10 men’s fragrances ever made.

I have not heard Paco Rabanne described as the men's fragrance synonymous with aplomb and élan, yet it is indeed a refreshing expression of unaffected elegance, and uncontrived sophistication, and Judging by its great and persistent market demand, and the fact that it is one of only very few men’s colognes still available in 1000 ml packaging, I am of the opinion that any man, young or old, provided that he enjoys an acceptable measure of discriminating taste and sophistication, would never argue the validity of the fact that Paco Rabanne Pour Homme has been, and shall remain to be one of the greatest fragrances of all time for the remainder of the 21st century and beyond.

A man’s fragrance wardrobe devoid of Paco Rabann Pour Homme is definitely one wanting in taste, sophistication, and a high sense of appreciation for the eternal value of distinguished classics.

trentfoster
trentfoster

I bought Paco Rabanne on the strength of its reputation. To me, the only difference between it and Worth pour Homme is that Worth wears longer. I recommend the latter.

ZeeK
ZeeK

A Classic! Of course old-fashioned but not obsolete. NOT FOR ALL! But a “must have” for collector’s wardrobe (it may last for a decade if you have a collection of 30+). I do feel a soapy affect but a pleasant and luxury one, at few sniffs I felt I smell JOVAN MUSK but in the whole they are not alike. It can be worn for both formal & casual events have good lasting and silage (do not over spray). Paco is very masculine and only for masculine.

thomkallor
thomkallor

The very model of a MANLY scent, and one of the first I ever wore. I'm not enough of a pro to pick out and identify the notes here: all I know is that this is a wonderful masculine scent, and I have never come across any smell-alikes. An 80's power scent that doesn't clobber everyone in your vicinty so long as you apply in moderation. In my personal opinion, more suited to warmer weather...it seems to mix well with sweat! SEXY!!!!!!!!

LORENA
LORENA

A CLASSIC!!!! always elegant, fresh, sexy, balanced.

paco rabanne
paco rabanne

It was my first perfume, and first love is always the hardest to forget. Very sensual and distinguished, but at the same time this perfume is suitable for every occasion. Light, tender, unforgettable...

elgab89
elgab89

Very manly perfume of the 80's. Loved it than and I love it now.

2007

Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne 3.65 out of 5 based on 779 ratings and 164 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.