Designers » N-Q » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Tenere Paco Rabanne for men
dislike

honey
Tenere Paco Rabanne for men Pictures Tenere Paco Rabanne for men Pictures

Tenere by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Tenere was launched in 1988. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Wargnye. Top notes are rosemary, lavender, green notes, cassia, grapefruit, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are honey, artemisia, carnation, cinnamon, tarragon, orris root, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, anise and rose; base notes are leather, amber, patchouli, musk, vetiver and cedar.

Rosemary Lavender Green Notes Cassia Grapefruit Bergamot Lemon

Honey Artemisia Carnation Cinnamon Tarragon Orris Root Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Anise Rose

Leather Amber Patchouli Musk Vetiver Cedar

Boss Number One
One Man Show Gold Edition

Tenere Fragrance Reviews

lovetribe
lovetribe

unusual, oriental, earthy, honey. yet modern. I can distinguish the rose without a doubt and sandalwood. I like the iris root as well as all the herbs and spices .. but I do not know if it comprerei.7.5 / 10 maybe I expected more. however very grassy and floral.
fantastic performance. to be reassessed. perhaps it is an ancestor of opium?

cytherian
cytherian

I think this may be one of those fragrances where you have to be careful about it turning on you. If you buy it new or well kept, be sure to keep it in a temperature controlled environment.

I blind bought a 50ml bottle in box barely used. Seller assured me it was stored properly and they had flawless feedback. But what I got smelled like it was... "musty citrus". There's no animalic note like civet or castoreum listed, but it sure smelled like something similar was in the mix. Associations of a shirt from a stale mothball laden closet came to mind, previously anointed with 4711 that had baked in the sun. This wasn't the slightly sweet complex formulation I was expecting.

I got rid of the bottle. I tried to imagine what this would smell like if it were "fresh", and I don't think it would be something I'd seek out. It might be pleasing to you... I only encourage that you be sure of your source.

friend
friend

I'm guessing "...charli" below is referring to the grassy/hay/sweet clover accord. Others have likened Tenere to the 80s powerhouse frags. That is true, but there us something that really settles this down away from Paco Rabanne in the green bottle, which I like, but find few occasions on which I would wear it. There is something else reminding me of days of old. It's been a while since I used Brut, but this may have some similarities. Back in the day, Brut was the juice of choice if you were on a limited budget. I could see Tenere as being an all-season fragrance. Nothing spectacular. But, if you want to take a trip back in time, or down memory lane, this one provides a nice journey.

sophywt
sophywt

I bought a miniature of this scent and I thought the seller bottled wrong juice in it when I first smelled it. There is honey, mild fruity and some floral notes, it could be marked as a female scent! The aromatic aspect hides behind this floral fruity veils, it smells too shy to remind me this is actually a masculine scent.

I'm not saying it's bad, I like it's clean fresh, its elegance and delightful notes, and did think if it launched nowadays, it would be better received and might even be a hit. It's pity it was born in the 80s, surrounded by those monsterous masculine scents and lost its voice altogether.

MichelVaillant
MichelVaillant

I second riffjim4069's assessment below: To my nose, Tenere and OMSGE are nothing alike. In fact, I came to this page from the OMSGE page through the Tenere icon in the “This perfume reminds me of” section, all the while scratching my head and trying to figure out any possible similarities between the two fragrances.

Instead, I find Tenere quite close to Rochas Globe. Both have that old-timey, low-key, melancholy herbal-floral vibe, which I recognize instantly, but find quite hard to put into words. They take you back to another time and another place with a few sprays. Another fragrance that gives me a similar feeling is Balenciaga’s Ho Hang Club, which I find more old-school than both Tenere and Globe, but not as good as either, (although I still like Ho Hang Club quite a bit.) Tenere and Globe are lighter and brighter, while I find Ho Hang Club a bit heavy and blunt (if that word makes sense).

Having suggested a similarity between Tenere and Globe, I am having a hard time trying to find the exact connection between them by looking at the official lists of the notes for the two fragrances. However, my nose insists that there indeed is a strong connection. Is it the rose or the carnation? No, I would not say so. I find the connection to be more along the herbal dimension than the floral. Perhaps artemisia, or the restrained and refined use of patchouli? Possibly. Between the two, Globe is the smoother, while Tenere is the harsher one. Tenere has some additional animalic aspect to it, while Globe comes across quite "clean".

Are far as recommendations go, Tenere is not something I would suggest for people who do not usually enjoy old-school fragrances. However, if you do enjoy such fragrances, you may want to give Tenere a try. The problem of course is that Tenere is discontinued and can no longer be sampled in department stores or chain perfumeries. So, you probably will have to take the risk of making a blind buy, unless you have access to an independent brick-and-mortar perfumery that carries discontinued fragrances. As you make your buying decision, consider Rochas Globe and Ho Hang Club as possible alternatives to Tenere; Globe being a very close, and Ho Hang Club a distant substitute. Among the three, Ho Hang Club seems to be the most affordable as of early 2015, and Tenere the most expensive.

rcavs
rcavs

Ténéré is a beautiful tradicional floral fragrance for... WOMEN! That's it. I understand perfectly why It was discontinued.If It was at the rightside of the counter, It would probably be selling a lot since its launching. My wife loved the fragrance and me too (on her skin).

FlirtBoy
FlirtBoy

I found this more pleasant than OMS Gold Edition...and much smoother and well rounded, without the OMS GE sharp tobacco note

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Teneré is one of the several examples of scents from the '80s which could be easily be bottled, re-packaged, sold by niche brands and become instant cults. A masculine chypre impressively ahead of its time, an irresistible romantic and exotic bouquet of humid flowers with a heart of dark rose (Lyric Man anyone?), a touch of warm honey which persists all along the drydown, perfectly mixed in a beautiful blend, a bit herbal and a bit animalic, with a stout base of woods (sandalwood, mostly) and spices, cumin above all, discreet but detectable. Aldehydes to "reinforce" and give the scent a bold bone-structure, as for many masculine scents of that era. On the drydown it finally shows quite a twist of direction: more woods and tobacco, the personality becomes less romantic, more austerely rooty and earthy, still with a warm pollen note. Overall Teneré conveys a totally unique and captivating mood, a luscious elegance halfway dandy and exotic, with a genius and harmonic effortless blend of spicy-herbaceous notes which bring a desert breeze into the more Westernised, aristocratic floral bouquet. Utterly elegant, modern, sensual, rich in unusual notes. Worth a try.

8,5-9/10

oxm
oxm

I could feel this wonder herb is fresh and floral
I can only tell the emotion that brought me back to those spring days when the breeze carries the scent of flowering plants, a combination of sweet and mellow notes that blend with a sweetness of base.Also if several years have elapsed from the its release, the irresistible charm of this fragrance remains intact, I do not know if the name is attributed to the leading African desert, but if so you could take a walk barefoot at any time of day if there was this atmosphere gorgeous.
Well beyond the sands of time

cosmicfred
cosmicfred

very similar to Bogart One Man Show Gold Edition! Only much weaker. A disapointment!

cologneking
cologneking

LOVE THIS ONE!!!

Herbal, floral and powdery...

Day to evening...

Year-rounder...

Work or play...

A multi-faceted, all-occasion fragrance; whats more is that it is the quintessential big, bold 80's fragrance...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!

mehrdad
mehrdad

با سلام و ادب
عطری خاطره انگیز پیر کاردین که رایحه شیرینی عسل به وضوح از آن استشمام می گردید
کار خوبی بود و شاید الان دیگر کمتر کسی سراغ آنرا بگیرد
از دوام و پخش بوی متوسطی هم برخوردار بود
زمانی که آبسیشن کلوین کلاین مورد استقبال بود دوستی بهم گفت این کار هم گرم و شیرین است و می تواند برای کسانی که روایح شیرین دوست دارند مورد پسند واقع شود

با احترام
گالری عطر مهرداد

maio2012
maio2012

Vintage Ténéré has now a similar in the market: at least during the first hours, One man Show Gold Edition remembers it. Maybe olfactive delusion or distorted memories, but this is my impression at this moment.

Giog
Giog

If you put this in a Tom Ford luxury fragrance Bottle, this would become the best of that exclusive collection! Because Tenerè is gold! Powerful, well mixed and noble.

ChrisInBrooklyn
ChrisInBrooklyn

Update: I just have to reiterate how much I love this! This has been by 'go to' in the hot NYC summer. Fresh, invigorating, challenging, yet somehow comforting at the same time. This is definitely a masterpiece for me...

I had this as a teenager when it first came out, and was entirely too young to appreciate it, or for it to work with my chemistry. I'm glad to have it again! To me this is similar to Balenciaga Pour Homme, but completely appropriate for the summer. Complex,herbal, honeyed and slightly sweet. It dries to the most amazing fresh spicy floral. It is definitely a sexy summer romantic night scent. No way you could *not* get lucky wearing this! ;-) Sublime! Beware, do use sparingly as it is quite the 80's powerhouse.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

I'm going to add a full review of this scent later, after a few more wears, but I just want to say that anyone that loves Tenere and is looking for something similar should check out Asmar by SoOud. There are differences, of course, but the honey/floral (carnation, espectially)/woody elements are quite similar!

Out of all the scents I've smelled, Asmar is closest to Tenere.

dromidreza
dromidreza

یادش بخیر.عجب بویی داشت.هنوز میتونم بوی اونو به خاطر بیارم.خیلی آرامش بخش بود.ماندگاریش متوسط بود

glitterlust
glitterlust

Outrageously spectacular, I've not been so moved by a male fragrance in a long time.

The top notes are so similar to Boss No 1 but after that Tenere takes it to another dimension. The floral herbacious aroma builds and becomes sweeter with the honey. Then there's a spectacular civet note to combine with the moss and leather. It's strong but doesn't shout as much as some of it's 80s broters.

I compared this to La Nuit and there are similarities in the dry down. La Nuit is much drier and animalic while this stays sweeter and softer with more gentle sillage.

This is one of my favourite new discoveries and I'd highyl recommend picking up a cheap miniature to experience this for yourself.

Grottola
Grottola

My dad wore this one.

Tenere is a vastly underrated fragrance, one that was launched during the twilight years of the powerhouse era, but was never quite as dated as its contemporaries. Tenere can have two meanings: "keep" in Italian, and "to hold" in Latin. Maybe that sort of relates to the character of the scent - it's kind of big and loud, but not intimidating or unpleasant. I would classify Tenere as a floral (!!!!) fougere, somewhere between Boss Number One and Givenchy Insense, but closer to Boss Number One. Boss Number One and Tenere were both created by Pierre Wargnye, so I understand the connection. I get a lavender-patchouli-leather-clove smell that has a "pickle" kind of odor to it, but it's only a faint impression. This part of the fragrance is similar to Patou Pour Homme a little bit, actually. On top is a beautiful honey and carnation accord. Carnation is probably my top favorite floral, and here it's in good character: warm and "baked", just like in Guerlain's Terracotta Voile D'ete, my other favorite carnation fragrance. The honey is what brings Tenere close to Boss Number One, and the carnation/florals bring it close to Insense. All comparisons aside, the combination of a good, solid fougere with sweet flowers baking in the sun is a match made in heaven, creating a handsome fragrance that even a man as picky as my dad was able to love. He eventually gave his old bottle (which was half-full) to me, and I've grown to love the stuff more and more over time. Oh, and of course it lasts a while and projects nicely. It also smells great on fabric.

Tenere is unfortunately discontinued, and probably wouldn't hold up with today's trends, but it can still be found online and deserves to be checked out. I think both men and women can enjoy this handsome fragrance.

ZELJO
ZELJO

I was so lucky of getting a 100 ml of this few weeks ago, good old memories from around 1991,for me this is as red and black as the box containing it, smells both tender and wild and last a lot of time...hope I,ll be able to get more items in the future

RobbieX
RobbieX

A potent spicy/floral scent, bit like Boss One. Staying power and projection very good. I like it. Wanna get some more but, sadly it's been stopped.

mynameischarlie
mynameischarlie

I grew up in Kentucky and smelling this reminds me of standing in the middle of a barn full of horses.

jtd
jtd

I guess it’s virtually a truism that a masculine floral will bomb. Sad. This one had so many things going for it, too. A bright opening that gets darker as time passes; a raspy lavender that gives it a barbershop quality; a honey/urinous note that makes it feel lived in. I really saw this categorically as a floral fougère in the Kouros mold, and to read the notes, you’d think it was a rewrite of Kouros, but there’s definitely a lot of breathing room between this and Kouros. When I read other people’s thoughts on Ténéré I realized nobody else saw it as a fougère. More as a spicy floral. There’s definitely the lavender. And the dryness of spice (turmeric/ginger? cardamom?) combined with a clove-like carnation and the dank honey note all serve not so much to smell like coumarin, but to takes its place in the fougère accord. Shouldn’t this have made it somewhat appealing to the male nose? I can only guess that the fougère market became defined as fresh and aromatic when Cool Water (same year, 1988) cornered the market and became the category's alpha male.

I can see this one seeming too much. If overapplied, the honey notes makes it a little too dense in enclosed spaces. But in moderation, the buoyancy of the florals wins the day.

krmarich
krmarich

When it was launched, I bought a big bottle and used it often. It was a cold weather friend that was casual and formal. I always felt it a bit sweet and too floral. My school mates loved it so it became my signature in 1989.

The trend was lots of complex notes, and this one had lots of flowers. Its a moist, rich fougere that makes you want to cuddle. Its a far cry from 1 Miliion with its sticky sweet amber

I was always a Rabanne fan since the original PH and the slick, hipster Tenere was very progressive for the time. It could easily be unisex, like La Nuit. They were perfume gender benders, indeed.

They are both regrettably discontinued, with limited vintages on the web here and there. They are well worth the search.

Heverton
Heverton

Tenere has a dry/floral opening, accompanied by citrus notes, a typical aroma of fragrances from that time. After 30 minutes, the sweet notes appear, such as honey and star anise, accompanied by a slight cinnamon, where in the final part, we have the emergence of musk, resulting in a decrease in the dry tone in the opening, which makes the fragrance get a much more smooth and easy to please aroma.

martin_nemo
martin_nemo

I think there is nothing to be excited about in this perfume. I ordered it blind and I was expecting something similar to Insese Givenchy. Tenere for me is a very animalistic leather musk with a hit of flowers. Yes, it is an old school, but not sexy or attractive.

Aristo
Aristo

A beautiful flower-amber fougere of the old school The first issue resembles the odour of acasia blossom or acasia honey

guest_CampyCamp
guest_CampyCamp

Timeless stuff. Its chrysanthemum notes bring to mind Fendi's Theorema Uomo (RIP) and Bue Issey Miyake. Improbably long-lasting. Wonderful.

BIG
BIG

it shares some similarities with Ted Lapidus PH, maybe it's because of the honey note?

mymlan
mymlan

I fell in love with a prevoius boyfriend when he wore Tenere. Such a beautiful fragrance! Then we couldn't find it anymore. Instead I bought him Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme which I also loveed the smell of. Maybe because both are aromatic fougeres and that those suited him well. If you can't find Tenere, Give vintage DG Pour Homme a try, (I've heard it's been reformulated).

BrokenSwordii
BrokenSwordii

That a great flashback .. a real blast from the past, though, as paco common sense, it does have a soft touch on it, floral aromatic, this was real somethin when i was kid, still memories it, i would love to try it again

glitteralex
glitteralex

If you gentlemen have not tried La Nuit, the sister fragrance to Tenere, you must. Released by Rabanne 3 years earlier, in 1985, it was as trendsetting for its animalic-rose-leather as Tenere is for its unabashedly floral heart. Tenere and La Nuit are masculine and feminine mirror images of each other, but neither too far down the end of the spectrum. I wear both La Nuit, dark for a woman's frag, and Tenere, warm and floral for a masculine, and enjoy them equally.

Tenere by Paco Rabanne 4.18 out of 5 based on 111 ratings and 32 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Paco Rabanne Tenere fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Paco Rabanne Tenere, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tenere by Paco Rabanne. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tenere by Paco Rabanne represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.