Designers » N-Q » Oriental « Groups

PG04 Musc Maori Parfumerie Generale for women and men
dislike

cacao
PG04 Musc Maori Parfumerie Generale for women and men Pictures

PG04 Musc Maori by Parfumerie Generale is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. PG04 Musc Maori was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Guillaume. The fragrance features cacao pod, tonka bean, amber, vanilla, white musk, woody notes, coffee, floral notes and green notes.

Cacao Pod Tonka Bean Amber Vanilla White Musk Woody Notes Coffee Floral Notes Green Notes

Bittersweet
Petit Amour
Chocolate Chip Cookie

PG04 Musc Maori Fragrance Reviews

Hayley_6
Hayley_6

I love Musc Maori it's like a guilty pleasure. It's so good, chocolate orange but it's milk chocolate not even the sophisticated dark stuff we're supposed to like, but it's the best.

agentj
agentj

I've had my sample for over a year now, and got it out today since I'm antsy for something new. I was a young child during the 70's, and my immediate scent association with this is to a scratch n sniff mug of hot chocolate on a kids Christmas book I used to have. If anyone is familiar with these, it also had peppermint and pine smells in it. I was really looking forward to this because I love a good chocolate scent, Cocoon is my favorite, but this one is not really wearable for me. Even as it evolves a little, too much of the unnatural chocolate scent remains. I really like some of his scents...I own Cadjmere and a decant of Coze. I'm gonna pass on reliving the scratch n sniff book though.

meows
meows

I like how this smells, but it's just wayyyy too sweet on me. It's a very sweet milky chocolate. You know after you eat a bowl of chocolate cereal (coco pops, mmm) and there's that leftover milk at the bottom that stole all of the chocolate flavouring? It reminds me of that, except a little more powdery and with the sweetness amped way up. Sort of like somebody took said leftover cereal milk and dumped a cup of chocolate milkshake powder in it.

I love the chocolatey whafts I get when I wearing this, but it just gives me a headache after a while (no matter how sparingly I apply it.) I guess it's just too much for me! If you like chocolate scents and can handle the sweeter stuff better than I can, definitely give this one a go. It lasts around ~12 hours and has average projection IMO.

Update 03/06/16:
I came across a bottle of this at a low price a little while ago and couldn't say no. I have to say that this fragrance works so, so much better when sprayed!! I was originally sampling this from a small dabber vial and I guess it concentrated the sweetness a little too much for me. When sprayed this smells just like the milk leftover from eating Coco Pops (with no milkshake powder overdose!) Much more yummy and wearable.

The leading note is really milky chocolate, even oily in chocolate way.

Sorry, lovers, but it smells too eatable. Like my mom says, perfume should smell perfume.

Even so, I prefer Devil's Food by Demeter, because it's more dark and complex like chocolate tart.

nero77
nero77

Real, authentic Chocolate...

This is one which to me reminds me of pure chocolate powder, a very dark and aromatic mix here. I find it very authentic in it's cacao note. I think this will appeal to people who love chocolate fragrances. I can't say I detect many of the other notes. I have found this is prominent for the first 2 hours on my skin, then dries down rapidly.

This is the first fragrance I've tried from Parfumerie Generale. A gourmand. I'm impressed, but wish this lasted longer. Not sure if I can recommend but I think it would please fans of chocolate greatly.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Noope. Another chocolate scent, another Terry's Chocolate orange lurker.

This for me fell at the 1st hurdle. Well, sort of 1st, lets say 1.1.

I did get a deep, luscious cacao note right at the start; like a Premium hot chocolate straight up from 1st spray - it was beautiful and heading for a 9/10.

But this is Niche and I'm now almost bumped into immunity from disappointment.

Then; 2nd minute, a milky accord appeared like a bubbling mass of clouds forming.

Oh oh, it all fell downhill from there - milky note swiftly turned burnt-ish, soured, odd and off, then mellowed agin into - the orange.

Sigh. It scores 3 marks, just for that opening 1st minute!!

My rating: 4/10.
Quality: 9/10.

lilalina
lilalina

The opening of this is so beautiful realistic cacao powder. Amazing, heaven for a gourmand lover. Later it fades out a bit and gets more musky and kind of soapy.. The projection isn't that great unfortunately.

dsty
dsty

I'm torn between loving and disliking Musc Maori. It's a pretty outrageous fragrance and it's been hard to make up my mind about it.

What I love about it is that sometimes it can smell exactly like real milk chocolate. That's what I get when I sniff the bottle, and at certain times in its development on the skin, and there are whiffs of it all the way through.
Which is wonderful and delicious, even more so because of the other gourmand notes that shine through from time to time, but I do feel very conspicuous wearing it. That's my first gripe with this one: it definitely isn't very wearable. It's pretty strong as well and I couldn't think of a single occasion where it would be fitting to smell conspicuously like milk chocolate out among people.
That usually doesn't stop me, though, I have plenty of perfumes I mostly only wear at home when I'm alone and sometimes I don't care what other people will think and wear them out anyway, though lightly applied.
But there's something else that I dislike about Musc Maori and that is its other face, the musky, murky one. I guess it makes sense for it to be there to break the pure gourmand vibe and make it a bit more perfume-like, but I don't like the combination. It's like some animal got into my hot chocolate, there's something not right and even a bit queasy about it.

Luckily for me, this murky quality doesn't come out too often, but put together with the lack of practicality of such an outrageous scent it does keep me from wearing it very often. I do really like that milk chocolate though, so like I said, I'm torn. Time will have to tell whether I'll be able to live without it once I finish my decant.

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Strong, strong liquor chocolatey scent. NO musc! Very potent and true to nature real 70% dark chocolate

Linear to me, smells this way for about two hours, then like anything chocolate, it's gone before you know it.

seekritdude
seekritdude

Wanted to like this one, but theres just something off about it, and it sorta teeter totters between being ok, and not good at all...

I should say first blast is kinda... gross I dunno something was off about it.

But as that goes away basically for the scent I get something that kinda is on the line between being like.. Some old halloween candy.. Maybe something like candy corn. Or just some candy that when youre a kid and you just want some real candy like , kit kats, musketeers, butterfingers or whatever. But the old lady on the street always gives you old people candy lol. And its this kinda candy and its in a sorta dry bag.

And then the other side of it I guess it a sorta, sweetish bath lotion or something.

Its like a weird mix between that.

I dunno I wanted to like this, and when it dries down its not like.. awful or anything. Its just not what I expected and doesnt smell particularly good to me. Somethings just off to my nose about it.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

Musc Maori starts off smelling exactly like a bag of Halloween candy.

The opening is warm hot chocolate, fresh in a steamy mug. Really gourmand, almost milky in a way.

Mid-dry down, you're met with some chocolate filled fruit-tarts; bitter & sweet simultaneously. There's a chocolate-coated citric monstrosity lurking somewhere, with a hint of woods. This is where the composition falls a bit flat and sour, at least with my skin chemistry...like a Starbucks planted right in the middle of a foreign farmer's market, next to a Home Depot.

There seems to be a thick, sweet honey note accompanying the chocolate in the dry-down, once the tartness has passed, which I truly do enjoy!

We could've been great together, Musc Maori! You're 60% gourmand-comfort perfection, and 40% hot mess. Thus confirming the "hit or miss" factor that keeps me from truly favoring the house of Parfumerie Generale.

scented2014
scented2014

very gourmandish) sweet chocolate pralines. not hot chocolate to my nose but the smell of chocolate candies with some sweet filling. very nice but you should really love to smell sweet)

CLevol
CLevol

Beautiful gourmand! A warm, crispy coffee chocolat with a delicios vanille musk note.
On my skin very long lasting not too overwerwelming but quiet chique and warm! Great for christmas.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I wish Musc Maori and I had fallen in love. Unfortunately it didn't even get off the back burner. It started off as sour milk on me, I swear I checked the sample label and it was the right name. Thankfully the sourness exited double quick and left the creamy milk behind. Full cream. Accompanied by bittersweet chocolate powder, the kind you use for baking. Just as I thought we were getting along just fine, something citrus like shows up! So now I get chocolate powder+milk+citrus rind. Where is the musk? I get neither soapy clean nor wild animal musk. It's a Chocolate powdered Maori on me. The sillage is ok, not quite a skin scent but not loud either. Longevity is still pending a report but it's made it over two hours at least. I envy those who had amazing experiences with Musc Maori, but my purse stays snugly in my pocket in this case. I definitely suggest to sample first and not get caught up by the delicious looking notes.

Lana148
Lana148

Opens up with a rich smell of hot chocolate and quickly settles to flat, white musk and cacao smell. It gives an illusion of cacao & milk mix.

I love cacao fragrances. I like that this composition is not too sweet. But, is it interesting enough for me to buy it? No

johanna.lindholm
johanna.lindholm

This fragrance is very milky, creamy with a potent cocoa note. There's also some coffee, vanilla and tonka in here. It's a delight. I've never smelt such a true chocolate-like perfume before. Very gourmand of course, without being overly sweet or tacky. It has class.

Beauté_Orientale
Beauté_Orientale

Gourmand. Sweet. Smells like hot chocolate, warm milk. Very reminiscent of Bond 9 I Love New York For All ( black bottle). I personally didnt like it, milky notes in any perfume smell weird to me

pravda48
pravda48

Smells like malted milk balls + fruit loops to me: a soft powdery sweet milk chocolate and bergamot?? Odd.

2nd time: same sugary milk chocolate + bergamot aroma overlapping, intriguingly playful and weird. Then I started getting a milky orange, like a creamsicle? So strange, fun though!

sharmap14
sharmap14

smells like orange chocolate dessert or latte or something to do with chocolate and oranges

Helsinki

I'll keep this extremely simple because this dessert is so gourmand I might easily get my dress stained!

..Your very, very rich and cacao-filled chocolate tart, s'il vous plaît!

Redpula
Redpula

I am wearing it right now. I didn't get musk but definitely this is cacao. Yummy? Not too sweet and just a simple linear chocolate scent that isn't strong nor complimenting. It is just chocolate with a hint of coffee and some green. I would rather use my Demeter Hershey's Kisses not than this Maori. Pretty boring and bland as it stays on my skin. Forget it guys, go for Aquolina Chocolovers or Chocolate Greedy for quality cacao perfume.

Dittnergirl
Dittnergirl

I consider myself a lover of the “gourmand” category in the strictest sense. I like smelling like cotton candy, lemons, a cup of hot chocolate or a spice pantry or even a coconut cream pie. (I might draw the line at smelling like beef stew.) Musc Maori is gourmand, but in a weird sort of way. I feel that PG walks the line between genius and madness with his many gourmand-like scents. He has a way of mixing incongruous notes to create something magical, yet often odd. While a prominent note in this one is cacao, the mix with coffee/wood/musk results in a smell identical to milk chocolate and thick, swirling butter melting in a bain-marie. It’s not chocolate, it’s not coffee…it’s…Musc Maori. I love PG’s Aomassi – woody caramel – but the verdict is still out on MM.

angel6
angel6

Too flat for me, far too sweet , I like gourmand perfumes but maybe I'm falling out of love with chocolate. Don't like it.

meama
meama

38) Fatty Maori
Oulala, it was the too much one! I had always imagined Maori as impressive tattooed warriors but here they're unfortunately obese singing to welcome Russian tourists (who like sugar). It's not perfume anymore it's a food enhancer. It's worse than La Vie est Belle.
Gourmand notes in a well made perfume it is interesting but summarize a perfume to that does not give anything good.
Musk + Milk + Sugar + Cacao=Latex....Secrètion Magnifique is more breathable than that.

oula, celui la était de trop! J'avais toujours imaginé les Maoris comme des guerriers impressionants et tatoués mais ici c'est malheureusement des obèses qui chantent pour accueillir les touristes russes (qui aiment le sucre). Ce n'est pas du parfum c'est un exhausteur alimentaire. C'est pire que La Vie est Belle.
Les notes gourmandes dans un parfum bien composé c'est intéressant mais résumer un parfum à ça ne donne rien de bon. Musk + Milk + Sugar + Cacao=Latex, Sécrétion magnifique est plus facile à sentir que ça.

antfarm
antfarm

This smells like homemade hot chocolate (made from shaving cacao root into a boiling pot and draining the contents) with too much water added in. I find this to be dry rather than sweet. It's faint, flat, and forgettable.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

Hot chocolate, hot chocolate, boiling milk chocolate on the stove, scenting the whole house. And that is all there is, so eventually one gets bored with the scent of melting milk chocolate as it becomes sickly and makes one feel quite queasy. The end is death by drowning in the cauldron of boiling milk chocolate.

Carestinus
Carestinus

It's my first encounter with a vile gourmand. I like the concept behind many of PG perfumes and this review is not meant to be agressive... but I simply can't stand this perfume... I feel instantly sick and wonder why... so let's try to break down my explanation (this horror show):

I smell overly sweetened hot chocolate with burning plastic, all of which turns decadent, true, but in a scene where there is arson at the toy shop and the plastic dolls are losing their shapes and kids are crying with chocolate buns and marshmallows melting... I feel so appaled!!!

But that's only the beginning... What truly makes me want to move to another planet is my dad, aunty and acquaintances saying: "ohhh this is delicious!" Too much. So there you go: sample and choose what group you're in: with or against me lol!

hellkat
hellkat

I try to make a point of not looking on here to see what the initial hits are (its very difficult not to "cheat" cos I am still such a noob!) ... but this had a very strong opening of what seemed to me to be chocolate liqueur, I was free-associating, saying "rum? rum and raisin? ..." (both of which which I hate) but I could not place the smell until I finally settled on "... rum-balls" - because of course, the chocolate component. After five minutes I could smell butter, huge gouts of buttery deliciousness, it rather reminded me of a Leonidas chocolate. I am now smelling vanilla maybe, but no sign of musk after over half an hour. And the chocolate is still there, subtly flattened out to a lovely sweet cacao rather than the rum-ball punch in the face you first get. The name Musc Maori kind of appealed to my NZ sense of humour, but I can't find any hint of Maori: (no crayfish, no whitebait fritters, no Tui lager, no Hangi ... <3 )... BUT I am pleased to discover that Musc Maori is a very very nice introduction to cacao scents, indeed. Sadly, there is not much left after 40 minutes other than a faint scent of cocoa.

Blimunda
Blimunda

Musc Maori smells like hot chocolate to me!

It starts out so deliciously, with authentic chocolate smell, that I felt for a second as if was bathing in melted chocolate. It is milky, creamy and unbelievably- not sickening sweet, although the notes do announce a sugar bomb!

It doesn't take it long to settle down on the skin and become intimate smell; warm, comfortable and relaxing with some sort of freshness that swirls through it. It might sound weird to say that gourmand notes work well with the green ones, but in this case, it is just a fresh breeze that penetrates the composition every since in a while preventing it that way not to become sticky due to that much sweet notes- cocoa, vanilla, tonka, amber, coffee...

What I find both as advantage and disadvantage is that this scent is not strong. If it would had been stronger, it would be unbearable, but on the other side, being this light, I would never wish to spend that much money on it.

My final rate: 4/5

Inessa66613
Inessa66613

It's a Musc Orientalise Gourmand smell. Smells like cacao with 5 spoons of sugar. Very very sweet. I like that cacao smell remains the same and doesn't change during some hours BUT when it fades away or as I say "dies" on my skin leaving its final notes I barely can stand it.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

The name "Musc Maori" may seem somewhat misleading: when I saw this, I expected a sweet skin-scent musc fragrance. Instead, it smells like a box of chocolate covered candies. It is not a refined dark chocolate scent, either; more like that of generic cocoa sweets; just like the bag of assorted chocolate treats I received on New Years during childhood - the smell of this chocolatey-sweet mixture and the plastic bag. I have waited patiently for the musk to reveal itself in full grace, but it seems that musk is a bit too shy in here and prefers to hide behind Hershey's bar. Musc Maori is not bad overall, but it's also a bit flat.
The longevity of Musc Maori is okay, but projection is minimal in my case. If you're looking for yummy vanilla from PG, I suggest going for Felanilla instead.

Update: it does become more like "sweet skin scent type" later and I seem to like this stage, but it is still more candy-ish than skin scent.

fpih
fpih

A very milky chocolate; I actually smell frothy milk in it, much like Jo Malone's sweet milk. I like cocoa, but chocolate -and especially milky one- is way too foody for my taste to be worn as a perfume. Calming and relaxing it is, but I can't see myself wearing something so sweet except in the coldest weather. Plus, I really disliked the opening, as there was something almost lemony on top of the cocoa for the first half hour than luckily went away completely later. Decent lasting power but it stays close to skin. I'll just pass.

Norgirl
Norgirl

Im so whit you Solvita . this is a milky chocolate , not in the means that it is light chocolate , it is more off the dry dark type . but there is an almost milky powdr feal to it. sweet yes , but not in a cloying way . A very well blended perfume , Hard to describe . not like anythinge i have smelled before . unik in so many ways. Not shure i could pull off a whole bottle off this . but nice and dry, powdery and sweet. almost cooki like , buttery in away

Solvita
Solvita

Hmm,I couldn't smell anything dark in this perfume,just a tasty milk chocolate with condensed milk,very sweet.

cocoa25
cocoa25

I love this scent! Especially the milk chocolate smell which isstrong when you spray it. It just lasts for the first few minutes..
Does anyone know a fragrance where is the same chocolate smell but lasts longer??

nada
nada

I wouldn't know what to think about it, but then i look at the name and makes sense!:) love it, true maori spirit in a bottle.

One of the very few compositions by Parfumerie Generale that I strongly dislike. An extremely realistic dark cacao note, some coffee and a strong creamy/milky vibe. I know it may sound blasphemous of me but it smells like Starbucks minus the cinnamon. As a friend used to say, this is not simply a gourmand, it's more like something you could spray directly inside your mouth. Not for me...

Kchild
Kchild

Luscious, drizzling, milk chocolate on skin. Seriously, what's not to love? This is the Queen of the chocolate scents imho. A chocolate scent for grown ups.

The trail that she leaves is unmistakably edible, unmistakably chocolate, and unmistakably sexy. She's a complete surprise. Usually when I think chocolate I think light hearted fun. Musc Maori changes that whole equation. She's still fun, but she has the promise of something more....private. Like a rich dessert fondue for you and your special love. She may be frivolous, but she's also intimate.

I don't get the orange pieces like some others do and I have to agree that she prety much is what she is~ a straight up chocolate perfume. And yet....that's not entirely true either. On me at least and according to my husband~she simmers w/possibilities......and therein lies the key. She smells like WARM chocolate. Not melted in the sun, but by the flame of a fire. Delicious......

Helsinki

A fine composition. Monotonous and a great work of art in itself.

Chocolate tart.
That's all that is need to be said.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

I agree with the other reviewers in that this smells like real dark cacao. I imagine a 50's lady wearing a white musc perfume making chocolate chip cookies from scratch. I feel the smell of freshly buttery chocolate cakebatter with nuts, vanilla, and her white musc perfume mixed with that. After a while this smells like those first 5minutes you set the cookies in the oven,just before the cookies start "cooking". Yum!

ossini
ossini

it tried this scent today and i have to say that it smells great! one of the best chocolate scents i have ever smelled. it opens with a beautiful authentic Kakao-note and does NOT smell cheap or too sweet. Simply wonderful for noses, that like gourmet-scents.

Migotka
Migotka

I must say this is the first PG pefume I have tried. And I did so because of so many reviews claiming it to be a very dark chocolate fragrance, which nevertheless is not too... girly, of fun (for a luck of a better world). As a chocolate fan, I could not have missed out on the opportinity of trying out for myself.

Musc Maori is exactly what I have expected. A dark chocolate with orange skin bits in it. While sniffing my wrist I can just imagine the rich, moist chocolate cake with plenty of orange in it. Very aromatic. And until the very end it remains very, very sweet.

What I found a bit disappointing is the fact that it does not change at all. What you smell in first five minutes is what you will get in an hour.

It actually made me think that, despite being beautifully composed, it it a bit too 'edible', I love the smell of cakes and chocolate, but I dont want to smell like one. It is impossible to say whether a person sprayed some Musc Maori on themselves, or just stuffed themselves with chocolate behind everyone's back.

F_A
F_A

On my skin Musc Maori opens with an edible strong and creamy dark chocolate smell. First it smells like dark bitter chocolate sweets with coffee liquer inside, then it turns into the coffee liquer with a little drop of dark chocolate and chilli pepper in it. I really enjoy this play of coffee-chocolate notes. The fragrance is not too sweet, it is rather a bit bitter.
The staying power on my skin is ok, could be a little better(I wish it was as good as on rebella), but in general I really like this fragrance and want to have it in my collection:)

rebella
rebella

Musc Maori is worth trying just to get the opening burst of very creamy, very rich and very, very dark chocolate. It seems difficult to pull of real dark chocolat in perfumes, but this one manage. The opening is delicate and strong.

But then... the promising opening quickly fades to something almost unpleasant. Something mushy, flat and even annoying. After about ten minutes I feel almost nauseas and just want to wash it off.

It is overly sweet, cloying and smells kind of weird in a very bad way.

This one would definitly have need some fresh, tangy and lively notes. I guess I think it smells kind of "dead" on me... Maybe a good choise for a cute zombiegirl?

Advise, stay as far away as possible after the initial lovely chovolate. No, but at least, try first... (longlasting and difficult to get rid of to!)