Designers » N-Q » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

caramel
nutty
PG10 Aomassai Parfumerie Generale for women and men Pictures

PG10 Aomassai by Parfumerie Generale is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. PG10 Aomassai was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Guillaume. The fragrance features spices, wood resin, hazelnut, caramel, vetiver, incense, licorice, bitter orange, resins, hay and woody notes.

Spices Wood resin Hazelnut Caramel Vetiver Incense Licorice Bitter Orange resins Hay Woody Notes

Cedre Sandaraque
All'Olio di Argan

PG10 Aomassai Fragrance Reviews

ccat9
ccat9

Sweet hazelnut and wood resin opening. Not the dry, heady hazelnut of Praline de Santal, but a more tamed and smoky variety. One needn't be a hazelnut lover to enjoy this. Resin, vetiver and some unidentified woody note, land this on the masculine side of the unisex spectrum, making it feel most at home on a man.
As the scent warms up on the skin, it turns creamier and woodier. The hazelnut moves slightly to the background, never loosing that delicious sweet smokiness of the opening.
Spices join in timidly and a beautifully balanced tart note, perhaps the bitter orange, keeps things from becoming too sweet or too heated. What a beautiful composition!

ellementira
ellementira

Dusty sweetness, recognizably gourmand but also dry and smoky. There is something a little too animalistic in the opening for me. It's a lot of hay in conjunction with something I thought was honey (but I don't see it listed) that reminds me a little too much of my earlier years spent with horses and the dusty, animalistic stalls which I spent a lot of time cleaning :) It's not a literal interpretation of that, I don't want to scare anyone off from trying it, but if you have spent time with horses perhaps you know if it. Depending on your fondness for hay it might be a very pleasant aspect of the fragrance. Once that settles down however it presents a lot of sweetness, again in that arid, smoked way that is so beautiful and comforting. Wore about 6 hours on my skin before fading, moderate projection.

tymanski
tymanski

another fantastic example of what PG does so well - the micro niche of "non-edible gourmand". it's sweet but it ain't, it's burnt but it's soft, it's foody but resinous. it takes real talent & chutzpah to bring this all together and make it satisfying and interesting to wear every time.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Great drydown, pleasant heart, a bit too raw-green-hay-ish starter. Mainly, as describing heart and drydown, its roasted hazelnuts with its skins in caramel glaze - not a cheap treat on a railway station for sure, but a dessert served in a posh restaurant in Nice. I like that details very well pronounced - not nuts, but its fresh clusters at first, with leafy involucre. Thank goodness for the caramel is not sticky, its truly is a dry glaze, which doesn't overtake the nutty aroma. After two hours- pleasant eastern resinous skin scent, that I wish would have started an hour earlier.
7 out of 10.

evacecilias
evacecilias

So sensual , warm and comforting !
The softest touch , but longlasting and swept me of my feet.
The ultimate going out , looking nice , feeling very special scent !
The liquorice and spices stands out the most...
I love the mood it sets me in !!

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This smells a bit like inhaling a soft, moist Licorice Allsort -the multi-couloured cube-shaped one that looks like a sandwich. It has a soft, molasses-like sweetness, but is not overtly sticky or cloying. The texture is enhanced by the dry, summery hay note, which makes the fragrance feel very warm, relaxed and bohemian.

As it develops, there is the slightest tinge of something smoky, like a distant candle being extinguished, but I do not smell incense in its typical form and nor do I get much greenness from the vetiver.

It is quite linear and, on my skin, extremely faint. I would need a good few sprays just to make this project. However it is certainly a very pleasant and under-stated gourmand.

polly golightly
polly golightly

ho sempre una certa ritrosia ad indossare questo eccentrico e sofisticato profumo gourmand, perchè, prima del suo assestamento, le note di testa al mio naso sono un tantino nauseabonde. trattasi di un bouquet iniziale simile a caramello rovente, o chessò, nocciole glassate bruciate. fortunatamente la persistenza di questa fase è assai limitata, e quindi si può rapidamente passare al godimento, per la sottoscritta, dato da liquirizia, note legnose e incenso. nessun sentore, invece, di vetiver e di sandalo, che compaiono nella piramide.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

This is one of the more sophisticated and classy gourmands available. It is sweet but not over the top sweet like many in the same category. The woody notes balance it out perfectly while it retains it's gourmand qualities. The smooth hazelnut is the most dominant note on my skin and I love it! This and Bois De Copabia are two that I love from PG and are surely worth sampling if you are looking for a mild gourmand.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

A delicious gourmand, muddied up with a crapton of woods.

My first impression of this is spicy, chocolate-y hazelnut coffee... spilled on the playground, melting into a freshly laid blanket of mulch/woodchips.

I would imagine this scent would fare better on a man, where the ultra-woods would be more fitting in this particular composition, and softened.

Way into the drydown, the woods have faded and I certainly do get the chewy caramel (finally), and if I could purchase a full bottle of JUST this portion of the scent - I would!

Nosey49
Nosey49

One of the most beautiful fragrances available. It's gourmandish without being too sweet. Just perfect.

AllieJ
AllieJ

My immediate reaction to this was that its a more masculine option to Jo Malone's Ginger Biscuit. It gives me the same impression of a holiday cookie, but the licorice makes it a little too manly for my taste. Great scent tho.

mlleghoul
mlleghoul

Thoughts so far…
I have totally been locked in a humidor full of Ding Dongs.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Aomassai is another delicious creation by Pierre Guillaume. This perfume is overloaded with the creamiest caramel imaginable. It reminds me of when my brother makes caramel at home; all that butter, sugar, and cream, and we put it on top of vanilla ice cream. It smells like a decadent vanilla bean custard. Sinfully good!

The kicker here is that there is a lot of resins too, and licorice giving a unique and aromatic herbal effect. To me this is the perfect gourmand for men, as so many men wonder if they can wear sweets. Yes they can--but this one is exceptional.

I tend to shy away from gourmands, but I read reviews for this along the lines of "this would be a great gourmand if it wasn't for all the funk and nastiness!". Well, I happen to love funk and nastiness so I asked my boyfriend for a bottle for my birthday.
The opening is basically caramel, hazelnut and hay. Lots of hay. Probably where the funk/nastiness vibe comes in. There is a certain plasticky smell here as well, but I actually really like it. It smells like children's toys.
In the drydown, there is caramel, licorice and spices but tempered by wood and resin. So it's sweet, but not screeching. A pleasant, earthy sweetness.
All the gourmands that people say make them want to eat their own skin, to me smell like burning plastic and vanilla extract. Thankfully, Aomassai has none of that and my skin stays intact.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The opening is a vanillic-resinous accord with a realistic caramel note, so bitter and strong it almost goes on the boozy side, then spices (saffron, cumin, cinnamon?), tonka, cocoa beans: a dark, dusty gourmand, slightly close to Slumberhouse's Ore as regards of the "concept", with a floral lavender touch and a slightly waxy/powdery orris root note. A load of spices, perfectly blended with the spices-boozy caramel accord. Peculiar and not bad at all, quite distinctive and interesting, also nondescript, as it smells Oriental, but also "European" (the caramel, the booze, the general restrained shape). The base slowly emerges with a dry green-suede like accord, the overall evolution is really nice and pleasant, must admit I quite enjoy this unusual "axe" of progress – a green-spicy-sweet-powdery geometry. The notes are dissonant, but somehow really harmonic. Finally it evolves on a talcum-balsamic accord still with spices and slightly sweet, a bit delicate but fairly persistent. Overall one of the nicest Parfumerie Générale I've ever tested (not a fan so far).

7,5/10

etude83
etude83

I do get a chocolate syrup vibe, particularly in the top. Sadly, I also get a plasticine vibe that makes this one downright objectionable on my skin. I have this issue with virtually all PG scents -- at least, the half dozen I've tried -- and I begin to suspect that somebody at this house is having a good laugh at spiking delicious gourmands with funky industrial fumes. Frustrating.

CLevol
CLevol

Love, love, love!!! I absolutely love this scent! It is a little sweet (but that depends from person to person, my husband thinks it is very sweet) with a deep undertone. Yes, this perfume takes you directly in to the deep underworld, where you meet the sweet Eurydice again.Handsome Orpheus will swimm with Eurydice in a bad filled with caramel and spices and everything will be O.K.

angelayio
angelayio

The first phase is a strong and sharp scent of coffee? with a lot of incense and all that very sweet. The incense makes it too masculine for my taste. Then it calms down and it becomes one of the best sweet scents I have ever smell, and it could be the one I am looking for if it wasn't for the incense. Very dominant.

pravda48
pravda48

(blind test: grabbed at random outa sample bag)

"Hm, sugar, I recognize this as an old fashioned candy I used to eat... wait, tobacco. A candy cigarette! Touch of incense? But it's warm still, mm..."

EDITING review having worn a few more times:

My bf says it smells like toasting marshmallows, but to me it's mostly a resin-sweet hay scent, which I find very enjoyable.Very yummy, but unfortunately my skin at least amps the vetiver, a LOT. It's kinda like Uomo for men, but without the leather and with incense instead of vetiver. Vetiver's a note I really struggle with since I find it very peppery and masculine, but the hazy sweetness makes me keep wanting to come back and sniff the sample only the be rebuffed again by the woody pepperiness. Maybe it fairs better on a guy?

Seems muted testing in the cold this time. I can't wait til spring and warmer weather (i.e. not below freezing) to see if the magic of this returns on my skin. I could've sworn it was so much richer and smokier and caramelized the earlier times I wore it...

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I'm right with LaSenorita, my sample smells very strongly of some deep patchouli. I get the sweetness underneath but the dirty patchouli oil remains throughout. The incense and sweet notes mix into a very head shop type of scent. It gets a little sweeter as it wears, like someone mixed patchouli oil into a caramel macchiato, I really like it.

LaSenorita
LaSenorita

I thought I would love this perfume based on all the good reviews, but I'm disappointed. For me, the opening notes of my sample are wet earth and patchouli. I like my woods, but this was dirty! It took a few minutes to even smell the caramel, and it was too herbal to be sweet. My husband referred to it as "bohemian witchy," which, coming from him, is not a compliment. Happily, later on the earthy notes subsided, and the creamy caramel was lovely and close to the skin. But I just can't abide smelling like a burial when I first spray a perfume. I wouldn't mind putting a little on my pillow at night, though - maybe a half hour before I go to bed so i can just enjoy the sweetness.

amelie
amelie

lol, same happened, this was my short review/
Aomassai... so easy to remember. Has a strong personality like Arabie SL, but no similarity. Tasty thick caramel, as many have said already, smells like a luxurious dessert served with a cup of coffee. But there you feel some herbal note too, which makes it a bit sharp, but unique. Brillant!!

fanny
fanny

The opening: a thick patch of too much caramel and hazelnut slaps you in the face.

This quickly fades though into a beautiful spicy wood freshness with vetiver and hay, accompanied by a twist of licorice.
Very Refined and Yum!

I admire this second stage, it is superbly composed.
It leaves me wondering where all the previous -oppressive- sweetness went.
Probably justifiably downgraded to serve the above mentioned concoction.

I only wish this second stage was a tad stronger.
Or have I become so numb while testing heavy fumes, that any perfume will have to blow my head of in order to be able to appreciate any sillage?...

Again, must try!

note:
The previous review of a guest obviously is my own: while writing I apparently was logged out, and, pushing the enter key, my review appeared under the name of guest...

The opening: a thick patch of too much caramel and hazelnut slap you in the face. Edible sweetness yes, perfume no...

Very Refined and Yum, without being edible at all!

I admire this second stage, it is superbly composed.
It leaves me wondering where all the previous -oppressive- sweetness went.
Probably justifiably downgraded to serve the above mentioned concoction.

I only wish this second stage was a tad stronger.

Again, must try!

meama
meama

130) the only one in the crowd
Ca fait plaisir de sentir un parfum patissier qui ne se vautre pas (trop) dans le sucre. Noisettes caramélisées et vanillées, de l'encens, du vétiver et des épices pour apporter un équilibre et améliorer la composition.
Je trouve que l'aspect cuisson intense apporte beaucoup au genre patissier(gourmand), le rendant portable et moins écoeurant. Il y a une comparaison à faire avec Jeux de Peau de SL, un toast avec confiture, Black de CdG, céréales fumées et réglisse...oui en fait comme souvent en cuisine tout est dans la cuisson!
Longue tenue et faible sillage

It's nice to smell a pastry perfume that does not wallow (too much) in sugar. Caramelized hazelnuts and vanilla, incense vétiver and spices to bring balance and improve the composition.
I think intense baking aspect brings a lot to patissier (greedy) gender, making it bearable and less disgusting. There is a comparison to make with Jeux de Peau SL, toast with jam, Black by CdG, smoky cereal and licorice... yes in fact as often in the cooking it's all about baking!
The best one in the PG line.
Good longevity butweak sillage.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Smoky woods with a touch of caramel sweetness, wood resin is present from the beginning, and makes Aomassai cuddly winter-dispelling scent. When I think Aomassai - I think bright red cashmere sweater: same elegance and comfort. Strong spices don't make the scent too homey, they are bright and noticeable. A wonderful choice for winter when I want to smell classy and mysterious.
The drydown is too simple though - just intense caramel smell, very sweet. I wish it were more sophisticated.

angel6
angel6

Smell very medicinal to me, I should know I would not like it by the notes, I don't like incense.

Yerdan
Yerdan

The opening with notes of liquorice and not quite caramel, more like some sweet pie is very clear. I don't understand any references to pee or sweaty people in woods, it must be the influence of the respective skins.
On me the wood and hazelnut notes are very week. There are some faint reminiscence of vetyver, but that's all on the woody side.
I agree with a former review that the head is much stronger than the rest. So I feel like adding another and another spray every couple of minutes. However the rest is very nice too because of the orange peel or orange preserve note. So the sweetness of the start turns to a slightly citrusy, very light bitternes.
All very warm and well balanced, this is a perfume which requires a certain concentration to fully appreciate. Unisex.
Compared with SL Fille aux aiguilles, I find Aomassai lighter and warmer, less solemn, less dark.

antfarm
antfarm

A lumberjack eating caramel popcorn. I'm a fan, but I wouldn't wear it.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

I was so exited to try this because by just looking at the notes it looks like a work of art, the reviews look great too. But when I applied it to my skin over and over and over, all I got was Grandma! And the base was the worst, it smelled like synthetic burned sugar. Sad :( not for me

Edit:

I pulled out the sample once again... Very interesting how skin chemistry can make it or break it.. This is a very deep interesting scent... I smell wood and sweetness that is very unique... Definitely going to give this fragrance a fourth chance, it takes a while to understand it.

fullbottleworthy
fullbottleworthy

At first I got a blast of sweet and spicy licorice with an incense/wood backdrop. I was starting to worry it might not be for me, but of course I knew it would soften. About a half hour later, the sharp licorice note had faded. I could smell a smoky, balmy, nutty, woody caramel. It was nice but still a little masculine for my taste (as far as gourmands go). An hour later, the smokiness and woodiness faded a lot and there was a soft, sweet nutty caramel with only a hint of incense, and loads of vanilla. It really reminds me of the drydown of Bond No. 9 Success is a Job in New York. I swear there is a sweet vanilla in there even though it's not listed in the notes. Anyways, 3 hours later and it's still going strong. I really wasn't a huge fan of the first hour or so, but now I really like it. Definitely yummy!!

sf2explus
sf2explus

Nice caramel start with liqourice. This scent is just amazing and one of the best sweet smelling scents i have ever tried and i have tried quite a few now. The sweetness does tone down alot after the first hour but doesn't dissapear completly but tones down alot the incense and the vetiver come out alot in the drydown to give it a clean feel with the sweetness of toasted hazelnut caramel poping up now and again to remind you the sweeter qualities of the scent. Amazing in the cooler months. I always get 6-8 hours with this fragrance with decent siallage. anyone sitting near you or an arms length will smell it for sure. If you like angel men but want something less known than this is worth a try.

Scent 10/10

angelslys
angelslys

I got this as a sample and I'm utterly convinced by the reviews that they must have messed up! From the bottle and on first spray it smells sickenly sweet (and I love sweet scents). My son has declared that it smells quite offensive (his exact words were that it smelled like 'pee'). On dry down it gets less offensive but it reminds me of a barn. I was so looking forward to this pick and thought I'd fall in love with it for sure! However, I do know someone that loves the smell of a farm so I'll be sure to pass it along!

josine75
josine75

Aomassai makes me happy and sad. Happy because it's a beautiful fragrance, it smells like freshly made tiramisu and crème brûlée served to you together on a plate with a good cup of coffee on the side.It has a warm, sweet yet sharp comforting smell in which I would like to bathe myself, preferably on cold evenings in front of a fire place. Then,after an hour,it starts to fade rapidly resulting in some sort of panic that makes me spray it more and more because I don't want it to leave me. The thought that I will be finishing the bottle quickly makes me sad already..

Dittnergirl
Dittnergirl

It grew on me. I almost gave the sample away, but there was something sexy that whispered to me in the dark one night. Soft, sweet spices (never pungent or sharp), sweet hint of pipe tobacco (but not an ashtray like TF Tobacco Vanille), hot amaretto by a fire, with a lingering thick sweetness. A whiff of licorice - just a whiff. All swirled together into something incredibly sensual, complex and hard to forget. "ANOTHER bottle of perfume just came in the mail today!?"

Carestinus
Carestinus

I think I've found my signature gourmand.

This is heaven!

Imagine a strong bitter hazelnut liqueur... no sweetness in there, just the roasted nuts amplified by a dose of sexy licorice... oh my...

So wearable for both sexes... it doesn't get annoying as many gourmands do and it definitely doesn't convert the wearer in a weird experience for third parties lol.

I hope Jeux de peau doesn't get upset or jealous... I can have two gourmies in my heart, don't I?

Hooked!

Heverton
Heverton

Aomassai opens with a rich caramel note that leaves me with my mouth watering! Right after a couple seconds the hazelnut appears giving some depth to this fragrance in a very balanced way. A dessert, a very well crafted and edible dessert with nothing exaggerated in it. In Aomassai the sweetness presents itself in a soft way that throughout time shows us the amber aspect o it.

tbozzo
tbozzo

I'm editing my review...I think in the beginning the deep nature of this gourmand was not quite my thing... but it worked it's magic on my senses and now I can't get enough. I think my tastes are changing as I experiment with darker woods and smoky resins. This one is just dreamy!

valarian
valarian

This definitely will go down on my love but can't wear list, it opens with strong caramel really spot on with underlying dark and nutty resinous, incense notes but then poof gone! Where did it go?

Unfortunately liked the perfume very much but it didn't like my skin! It ran away just as I was getting the lovely dense sweet liquorice smell after the first burst of caramel.

So disappointing, having just sprayed again and again to make sure the same thing happens, yes unfortunately gone in minutes. I can just faintly smell it a little very close to my skin but that's all.

You win some you lose some!!

id
id

Sharp spicy resin and incense plus licorice. And right after the opening something goes wrong on my skin. It smells like a burning wood for me (I've been expecting to get cozy scent from hazelnuts and my favorite notes vetiver and resin), but I guess, it is licorice and incense that ruins the whole composition. I'm glad I've tried it but I would suggest sampling this before buying the whole bottle.

eezepeeze
eezepeeze

WOW! I just smelled this today and I am in love. I MUST save up my money to buy a full size of ths fragrance because I always want to have it with me. always. I have FINALLY found a licorice that I love. Oh, it's so good. Wait I have to have another sniff...mmm.

Yes, it is very sweet, but there is the incense in there to change from bubble-gum Barbie to let me nibble your neck.

In a way, it smells like christmas, but the part of Christmas where you are in a Catholic church filled with pastries for after the service, while the priests are swinging that incense burner. It also reminds me slightly of a cross between pfefferneuse cookies and mexican wedding cake cookies. both of those are sold around christmas.

But don't fear that you will be smelling like the christmas tree and pumpkin pie. This is a sit in front of the fireplace with your sweetie, sipping a hot spiked beverage, nibbling sweet cookies kind of fragrance.

If you don't like sweetness in your fragrace, you may not be able to get past it with Aomassai, but if you do like a little sweet with your spice, give this one a shot.

9154mf
9154mf

This is a great unisex scent!! Honestly perfect for men or women with the perfect balance of all those notes. I smell all of them, except maybe veyiver and it's blended perfectly. I'm not a fan of resin or licorice much and they are here but neither are string enough to make me hate it. I definitely get the gourmand caramel but it's not cloying or overly sweet. It's not my favorite scent ever but really well done.

zapling
zapling

Be not mistaken about 'sweet' or 'gourmand'! On my skin, Aomassai is very masculine. After a nice opening that reminds me of Poison, I smell a woodsy, soapy licorice, with indeed a hint of toasted hazelnuts... Smells like my former boyfriend's atershave, or old-fashioned Gilette shaving foam.

blomst
blomst

When I dabbed this on I was a little taken aback - it smells like a candle! The licorice note helps to keep it from being burningly sweet. It's delicious but something I would perfume pillows and curtains with in cold months rather than myself.

Anyone into gourmandic fragrances should try Aomassai as it's one of the most complex, original and compelling compositions in the genre. Caramel, nuts and vanilla represented in their roasted/smoky side. Burnt sugar, hints of incense and "sweet" liquorice join the party in the drydown. Dark, deep and very distinctive.

While I'm usually not into gourmandic fragrances I believe Aomassai brings this genre to a brand new level that's far from being cloying, overly sweet or simply "appetizing", introducing some darkness and mistery to a cathegory that too often is an end in itself.

debbborra
debbborra

I do not get any coffee at all! None! Nor licorice, that I've noted. (It's got to be a chemistry thing) But I definitely do get caramel, and when I say caramel, I mean hot butter and browned sugar. And with this is the smell of wood smoke. As a rule, I'm not a huge lover of gourmands, but when I want something sweet and warm and comforting, this is one of the ones I like. It's not just sweet, it's got depth and it is interesting.

Also, when I wear this, I get compliments. I've even gotten compliments from friends who don't like or wear perfume.

It lasts all day and it's got some throwing power.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

The entire experience of wearing Aomassai is not unlike being 'owned' by a rather slinky black cat.

The opening feels a little shaky and rough like a cat circling your lap, looking for the ultimate comfortable spot of your skin to make its own; there is milky coffee and something ashy, maybe charbroiled liquorice root.

Once it settles, like a cat it slowly relaxes into slumber. At first, it is still conscious and twitching; here some liquorice, there some soft spices, a few wooden nuances, dry hazelnuts and some truly delicious hazy incense.

As it loses its grip on consciousness, you are left with a slumbering, warm, silky wooden caramel incense cloud. The constant purring will keep you enchanted for at least 6 hours.

adrienn99
adrienn99

well, having read the reviews, i must confess, this is more like a gourmand scent on my skin. I do not get anything medicinal, spicey or much of the woods/vetiver/incense.

I like this one being cosy, reminds me of a coffee-flavoured chocolate i used to have back when i was a child with a wee bit of nutty upbeat.

Cereza
Cereza

One me it opens extremely medical. Sniffing from the vial is way better than applying to the skin. At least - my skin. In the vial it smells like chocolate and licorine a tiny bit, but on my skin it's just pure medicine. Actually I think I'm smelling something like eucalyptus, very similiar to PG's Bois Blond at the beginning. It slowly changes, but is not loosing the "medical" note on my wrist. It get's warmer and more likeable, but I still don't have the "coffee and milk" or any other food-like scents.

Ah, damn that skin chemistry. Test before buy. Based from all the reviews one could expect something ultra beautiful, but it's really just the chemistry. Mine does not work with this one.

gypsykitten
gypsykitten

When first applied, this smells to me like cream soda. Then it dries to a stickier cream soda smell then finally a woody, creamy melted carmel. Not bad, but I much prefer Bois Blond if I were getting a bottle from this house. (Not that I find the two the least bit similar) I was hoping this would be a more affordable substitute for Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin, but I personally don't think it comes close.

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

At first I could only smell burnt sugar,luckily after half an hour that did change and something green came out on the surface,you had the feeling that you were taking a walk in the Amazon!wonderful!

hollycat
hollycat

The notes in this scent intriqued me so I had to get a sample. When I first put it on, all I could smell is something like a very good dark maple syrup with a hazelnut flavor. Is that bad? No. But as a perfume I dont think it works. I get all these food notes like coffee with milk. On me it smells like I just finished a shift at starbucks or IHOP.

lulllull
lulllull

I first tried Aomassai about two years ago and my first reaction to it wasnt that positive so I put it in my purgatory basket and forgot about it. However, a couple of weeks ago I was trying out Cadjmere and I loved it but there was something in it that didnt quite work so well on my skin, I'm guessing the cypress. So I came to think about my forgotten Aomassai sample. I dug it out and tried it on.

I went downstairs and made myself a cup of coffee and a cinnamon bun then I sat down to read a book. What happened next was the weirdest thing. I got this sweet caramel like coffee scent off my skin. This persisted for quite some time untill it morphed into a incense cocoa scent laced with woods. I was smitten.

So I tried it the following day. This time I didnt get the caramel in the opening but a nougat. And no incence but something sweet hay like with coffee, cocoa and roasted hazelnuts. The dry down was a sweet vanilla wood.

I've been wearing it for a week now and everyday is a new experience. This is a very complex scent. I do get some Bois Blond like notes in the middle stages, but not as dry.
You should absolutely try this one, it's a gem but it seems to react diffrently to peoples body chemistry. So make sure to buy a sample and DONT do a blind buy!
I dont get any liqourice or vetiver except from the bottle but you might :)

kewart
kewart

Aomassai just feels like a scent that has been created by a genius. It has the most delicious notes of roasted hazelnuts, caramel, coffee and licorice that are tempered by the woods and incense in the base. I glow when I put this on and feel I am going on a journey to a very special place, where flames flicker on a bonfire and the forest is alive with sweet possibilities. Very few perfumes take me on an olfactory voyage - this is one of the best.

mellybee
mellybee

I have one thing on my mind lately; namely to ask my employer to transfer my wages straightaway onto Pierre Guillaume's account. I can hardly find a fragrance of his which I don't like. Aomassai hits the high lights, Drama Nuui is my bitter jasmin marvel, not to mention Jardin de Kerylos, Iris Taizo and Corps et Ames - a fig, an iris and a chypre interpretation (those are not in the Fragrantica's database)- all my favourites of the line.
If I had to describe Aomassai with a word I would say that it is the smell of the flame. If you have ever sit around a campfire I'm pretty sure you'd understand me. (Rebella's description is a spot-on)
I wonder that I see many reviews about the sweetness of this fragrance since it shows its dry woody face on my skin.
I can definitely smell the bitter orange, the licorice, the incense in the opening. The licorice note is vigorous first, but it disappears quickly (luckily for me; anyone who knows me knows I don'like it at all). While licorice fades, woody notes unfold itself and stay in the drydown. But no sweetness (which I don't really mind - secretly).

Auguszta
Auguszta

This is simply wonderful. It kicks off with a burst of caramel which never really goes away - it keeps playing peek-a-boo with the coffee and the cocoa. Sounds like a sweet, cloying gourmand, doesn't it? Well, it isn't really one. The edible notes are backed up by heaps of dry, exotic spices and a fair dose of smoky vetiver and incense that transport you to some quiet and peaceful faraway place where the sky goes red at dusk. The overall effect is comforting and contemplative, it's familiar and strangely exotic at once. With its wonderful evocative powers it really embodies niche at its best, daring to push the envelope.
The scent has presence, but is never overbearing or cloyingly sweet, with a nearly unrivalled staying power. I find it to be totally unisex, an open-minded man could easily pull this off and make women swoon over his exquisite taste.

Lovely woody, ambery. Dries down to a warm vanilla wood with foody tones; caramel, incense. Just edible.

F_A

Thank You rebella for showing Aomassai - it is absolutely fabulous fragrance!On my skin I can smell the scent of a strong espresso coffee that turns into the lighter scent of espresso coffee with milk foam on top and chocolate shavings and at the end it leaves the scent of hot chocolate (cocoa) - really luv it!Unfortunately I can't smell the sea and the pines which I'm sure are there. Our noses are so different but the fragrance is great anyway!!!

Erika_K
Erika_K

F_A!
Here You can buy : luckyscent.com

F_A

Can you compare it to any other fragrance it reminds a bit?

P.S. Where are you ordering the samples of this one?

rebella

On me the licorice isn´t that strong. I noticed it, but not at all overwhelmingly. But I have also noticed that licorice never become strong on me, so if you know that licoricenotes have a tendensy to be strong on you, it might be in this one too.

rebella

I have to admit that I have beaten around the bush (I hope thats what you say in english) about writing a review on this perfume.

Why? Because it´s so bad? No, because it´s so good!

Not far away from where I live there is a sandy seabay, wrenched pines grows there and the bay is a popular place for both sunbathing and picnics. When I put on this fragrance it is like being transported to an perfect imaginary image of that place.

I can see myself strolling trough the pineforrest, smelling the campfire my husband have make and my kids are roasting mashmallows over the flames. It is a sunny, crisp day in the autumn and the sea is calm, but very close. The air of sea and autumn makes the fragrance clear, hightuned and delicatly thin even tough the fragrance have so many heavy, warm and spicy notes. I havn´t a clue how Pierre Guillaume pull this off, but he sure do!

In a way it is like smelling on a soapbubble, without making it burst! A must try for everyone! Longlasting, elegant and both happy, tender and mysterious in the same fragrance. A masterpiece. I guess I must have a big bottle of this someday, even tough it is a very expansive perfume it´s sure worth the money. Until then I have to order a new sample, because this was my last drops of it!