Designers » N-Q » Oriental Floral « Groups

PG19 Louanges Profanes Parfumerie Generale for women and men

PG19 Louanges Profanes Parfumerie Generale for women and men
dislike

smoky

PG19 Louanges Profanes by Parfumerie Generale is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. PG19 Louanges Profanes was launched in 2008. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Guillaume. The fragrance features lily, benzoin, hawthorn, incense, neroli and woody notes.

Lily Benzoin Hawthorn Incense Neroli Woody Notes

PG19 Louanges Profanes Fragrance Reviews

lilymorena
lilymorena

Thanks to a swap I got this fragance. Gorgeus semi sweet floral fragance. It has a soft sillage as I can smell it after quite a few sprays on my nek, wrists, chest. My boyfriend says that this is a normaal fragance that just can be smelled if you come half meter close. Yesterday I wore Poeme and PG reminds it somehow and maybe that is why people compare it to Loulou. This scent however has nothing plastic, cheap of boring. It is so beautiful blended that I don't recognise the lily (my favorite flower), just the neroli. What I know is: I fall in love for this fragance. As another reviewer wrote my complain is, the soft sillage. It would be great to smell it in an intenser concentration. It is and remains a constant skinscent, well worth of its price.

lilalina
lilalina

Beautiful warm Neroli, it's slightly powdery, balmy yet soapy fresh. Very perfume-y and a little bit too old-fashioned for my taste unfortunately.

Eurochic
Eurochic

The moment I smelled Louanges Profanes it felt so familiar. Then I remembered: this is the smell of my childhood summers spent at the beach, carefree, and fun. A splendid rendition of (European) summers, sun, suntan lotion and perfume on warm sunkissed skin. And I mean this as a compliment. A very comforting scent to me.
I would have never guessed from looking at the notes that I would fall for this. PG, I'm slowly falling in love with everything you create.

svetlana.kogan.73
svetlana.kogan.73

Just got my coveted full bottle of Louanges Profanes, one of my favorite offerings by the house of Parfumerie Generale. If I try to describe the notes of this amber colored juice, the main things that come to mind are: benzoin, inscense, neroli, and some wonderful flower, though I do not get a lily for the life of me.
This fragrance sends you on a real trip. Amarilia seems to have taken one too and describes it very nicely in her review below. Absolutely unisex, for an evening of enchantment and mystery.
Does anyone know if P.G. meant "profane praise" or "laymen's praise"? Anyway, what's in a name? It surely smells heavenly to me regardless of the title.

din26
din26

green lily and neroli balance the sweetness of benzoin. a surprising departure from the chypre/leather/orientals i usually wear. retro. less bitter than the lily of corps et ames; not as powdery as iris orientale. these are the three pg's i've been wearing summer/fall. we'll see which is cosier for winter days.

jtd
jtd

When I think about perfume I tend to rely on literary or verbal devices.  By literary I don't mean particularly lofty in nature, I just mean that we use tricks of the tongue and the pen to get at perfume.  I'll use visual allusions, fictions of memory, description and tidbits of narrative.  The trouble is that all that words offer is comparison.  The device I lean most heavily on is  metaphor.  'Perfume X is like a night on the town in Elizabeth, New Jersey.'  'Post-reformulation, chypre Y is a child who's lost her teddy bear.'

Relying on words to think about perfume has two effects. The first is a that by seeking connections, it fosters imagination and creative thought. The second is a demonstration of how few tools of analysis for scent our current vocabulary supplies.  My problem with metaphor, though, is that it's as much a weak translation as it is true metaphor. The process goes like this:  Smell a perfume. Pause, for 10 seconds to two weeks.  Piece together words to tell a story.  I question whether this method can result in anything greater than the merely clever.  You'll hear very talented perfumers talk about story telling and narrative and its importance in perfumery.  We perfume users, though,  should question this sort of romanticism.  Do perfumers who rely on story tell us stories, or do they use story as a device, a sort of imagery that aids them in designing perfume?  Can a perfume truly tell a single reproduceable story, not just a subjective olfactory experience, to multiple wearers?

Sometimes smelling a scent or fragrance will lead to a sort of sensory hallucination, that blanketing state you feel when smelling a certain perfume, typically one that you haven't smelled in a while. But this is largely a function of memory, and our understanding of the association between sense and memory muddy if not simply incorrect.  Every now and then, though, a perfume will launch you into a seemingly more direct sensory experience.   The experience  doesn't trigger or rely on memory, it feels new.

Smelling Parfumerie Générale Louanges Profanes for the first time gave this sort of experience. It gave me a feeling of viscosity.  A fluid consistency that isn't thick, chewy, creamy or even watery.  It suggested a fluid I had never experienced before.  On that had a thick/thin, lubricant viscosity like silicone along with a sweetness that hovered between liquor, elixir and sap.  It made me focus on the qualities of sweetness, like the way that glycerin has no smell, but is sweet when you touch it to your tongue, or the way honeysuckle nectar smells and tastes the same.

To categorize, Louanges Profanes is a floriental, an orange blossom/amber, to be specific.  But this is an instance where breaking the perfume down into its scent descriptors isn't particularly useful, because doing so doesn’t capture the experience of the perfume, it just tells you what’s in it.  The sensation of fluidity and slickness eventually fades as what seemed liquid starts to dry.  The perfume continues to suggest states of matter.  Louanges Profanes feels like it dries into a set piece, and gives the nose equivalent of drying brushstrokes.  Like those deliberate, voluminous stabs of paint you would find in one of the Mulberry Tree paintings by van Gogh.  The paint and the perfume both retained an appearance of fluidity as they dried, capturing the appearance of movement and action.

On that note of bad visual comparison, the end.

from scent hurdle.com

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

Strangely this comes across as quite gourmand, I get a lot a lot of vanilla (from the benzoin I'm guessing)from the beginning to the drydown. It's not as domineering as a vanilla centred perfume but it's less of a floral than I thought it would be. I do get the woody notes and the incense for sure. At the beginning the vanilla is citrus-laced ( I guess from the Neroli), then the citrus gracefully waltzes off and the oriental notes take on a bigger role in the drydown. Try as I might, I can't truthfully say I get the lily which is frustrating as I love the smell of lilies of all kinds. I suppose it's all got to do with the nose and the skin. Still, this is a lovely scent. Sillage is average and longevity medium , about 6 hours at which point it became a skin scent. Better on clothes. I would be happy to receive this as a gift, but it's not special enough for me to fork over my own money.

Wentworth-Roth
Wentworth-Roth

To me the best part of this scent is the dry-down: a heavenly blend of benjoin, woods and incense.

Baldric
Baldric

Too funny! I tested this and right away it reminded me of something, after about 30 seconds I realized it was red door. I haven't intentionally smelled red door since the mid 90s and I thought perhaps my memory was off. I came here to cross check the top notes and now I see that many of you are in agreement.

This is a bit of a spunky scent that should be a real crowd pleaser but not run of the mill. It seems pretty season-less and suitable for many occasions. A softer take on white florals with an incense backbone. Very nice!

Jayne58
Jayne58

I have been holding back for over 2 years from buying this, surviving on the occasional decant, but have just taken the full bottle plunge. I'm so glad I did, I need this in my life. Warm, rich, very soft, creamy, floral and refined, this is such a beauty. I do see what people are saying when they remark upon the similarity to Red Door and Loulou, but this is superficial - LP is so much better bred - where they shout and even screech, if badly handled, this speaks politely in perfectly modulated tones.

The dominant notes for me are, at the top, a fresh and very natural smelling lily, with an unusual twist provided from the hawthorn. This is anchored by mild spiciness and a whisper of incense. I do not smell any fruits at all. The longevity is average, at about 6-7 hours, but I can still detect this the following morning on fabric, so spray your clothes to prolong the effect.

Amarilia
Amarilia

Oh my God, I don't even know where to start to review this heavenly creation, my humble words won't do justice to this beauty...so let me just just express in few words ,the deeper than life feelings it evokes in me.

I honestly thought that this kind of scent simply could not exist, believed that it has been only in my head all these years, yet my memory was awakened right from the first drop Louanges Profanes touched my skin. This scent is more than an olfactory experience, for me personally, it is a window to my childhood dream, imaginary world non existent. I want to close my eyes again, and jump into that dream...I see scenes like in a colourfully illustrated children fairytale book.. purple fields, crystal clear lakes, swans, massive fairytale castle in pastel shades,golden paths,deers,flowers everywhere, and under a huge old oak tree there's a beautiful blond haired princess dreaming about a prince riding on a white horse, pick her up....and so that they could live together happy ever after....

This is really how I imagine and visualize Louanges Profanes. I won't get into details trying to analyse it, because LP simply leaves me speechless. It evokes such happy emotions.I feel like a innocent child again, wanting to relive those carefree years again without worries, shut the crazy, cruel world outside.

This parfume travels me away.It is so perfectly composed, like a soft veil you want to wrap yourself to daydream. I will be forever thankfull that Monsieur Guillaume created this ''for me'' ;) I kind of feel that I want it all for myself!

NB. If I could only have ONE WISH, it would be : please please make this scent more intense, eau de parfum, its so shame that it just vanishes too quickly...like a beautiful dream, it's over too soon, but at least Im left with a glorious memory and smile on my face. I feel lighter, and the outsite world little bit kinder :)

I do not believe that it is only because of the opening phoneme, but Parfumerie Generale LOUANGES PROFANES strikes me as vaguely reminiscent of the Keiko Mecheri LOUKHOUM series. I am working from memory here, having fully drained all three of my LOUKHOUM samples quite some time ago, but looking at the notes I do see that both contain, in addition to a huge dollop of creamy sweetness, hawthorn.

This is a very beautiful and complex oriental floral perfume, which altogether avoids the usual clichés and rampant fads, above all, vanilla patchouli. I find this composition much more oriental than floral, and the benzoin-rich drydown is simply scrumptious, with serious addiction potential!

Interestingly enough, other reviewers have compared LOUANGES to another perfume with the same opening phoneme, LOULOU! However, since I do not suffer the unmistakeable LOULOU plastic-madness headache upon donning this far more compelling and appealing creation, I must respectfully disagree...

johngreenink
johngreenink

Lily? Benzoin? Incense? Wow, if ever there was something I would like it would be this. This has become a must-have for me now. The reviews sound fascinating, I hope to obtain some of this perfume soon. Hopefully at that time I will update and review!

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

This is absolute Must Have. Yes, it reminds a bit LouLou. Very Little, but yes. Louanges is much more softer and also sweeter I think. Definitely scent of Angels. This goes straight to my purchase list. If You love those pink candy like main stream scents, Please do not bother to Louanges. This is SO MUCH MORE. Very unique. All of those who are searching that "something special" in scent, here it comes with this scent. A true treasure.
Adding; I did put LouLou to another wrist and Louanges to another. And I must say.... its far from Lou Lou. Truely. Louanges is much more sophisticated. Lou Lou comes straight to face, strongly.. Louanges goes softly to Your Heart taking it all ;D. Its not that I do not love Lou Lou, I do, but these are much different kind. Eaven if I found some similar notes , though.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Powdery soft white floral; I smell the lilies in it, and it's rather beautiful, because the lilies are pure and velvety, without being mixed with jasmine, or lily of the valley, or gardenia, as usual. Creamy, never overpowering, never screaming. Warm and sensual, it leaves a very feminine trace... a perfume for a true woman, a little melancholic. Somehow, it lacks energy, it's so soft and enveloping it makes me think of a warm , fuzzy blanket. Not too sweet, not too spicy, almost like a beautiful woman with no makeup, that is kindly aware of her beauty but doesn't care to make it obvious. Where is the profanity in this? Nowhere! Wearable, no drama, pure, lazy elegance!
I have a decant, but I won't be adding a bottle to my collection... I must admit, for lilies, I much prefer Penhaligon's Lily and Spice, or Dis-Moi Miroir from Mugler, they have stronger personalities.

trax
trax

Rich honeyed flower nectar, overpowering sweetness at first. Got me thinking this is headache material for sure.
I can feel some nag champa like incense in the background that initially is drowned out by sunwarmed florals. This incense grows stronger and stronger until there is nag champa and flower equal.
Overall impression is the overly sweet smell of flowering black elder mixed with some sweet white floral mixed with nag champa.
Quiets down abit in the drydown, into a quite pleasant floral incense.
At first I hated this perfume, but the drydown gets me going: Oh wait!

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

this is a good fragrance but it seems too known, i have already smelled this kind of fragrance !
theres another problem it is too weak , at least on me, it doesnt stay more than 5 minutes !!!!
and it becomes too vanilliné at the end
dommage

rebella
rebella

One of the best I´ve tried from Parfumerie Generale, and thats quite an achivement since I am already in love with several of their perfumes. Well, now I am in lova again and as with Cadjmere, this is passionate. All I can think of is Lounges Profanes. It is a haunting scent.

Filled with soft powdery flowers and with a vintage note that make me think of romantic victorian boudoirs, old fashioned lipsticks, powder puffs and pearl necklases. It is one of the most vintage smelling perfumes I´ve tried without smelling old, and yet it remind me somehow of my grand mother. Lounges profanes make me feel totally comfortable, relaxed and content. All the time I can smell this wonderful perfume I also feel very happy, it is a true bliss to wear. It´s soft, caressing but also modern and unique.

On me trher isn´t anything sharp or strong in this, no Lounges Profanes smells like I am being wrapped up in softest silk or cashmere.

Even tough it have a retro quality and remind me of my grand mother, I think it is also a very sexy, feminine and embrasive scent.

Lingering around me forever, no not really iy has not that good longvity but good enoigh, at least about 4-5 hours. Another perfume from Parfumerie Generale that i can´t live without.

A must try for every fan of Parfumerie General but also if you´re on the look for something with an unique, retro, feminin and floral touch.

I think I invented the word gorgeus when I smelled this for the first time!

It could be a perfume for angels...

PR
PR

Sweet floral, which stays pretty much the same from the first spray to the dry-down. At the beginning it has some sharpness,alcohol feel in it, but it mellows very soon. Nothing wrong with this smell perhaps, but it is not something I would remember. I don't know what went into my head, when I thought I could wear it, simply not my type of perfume. I sampled PG nr17 (Tubereuse Couture) at the same time, and though it is not something I would be wearing too, but the scent was more to my liking. It's much sharper and stronger, in general more noticeable, a bit too sweet for me, but not synthetic( what a revelation), rather very ripe, juicy, succulent fruits blended with vodka. Don't get or don't recognise the flowers, rather fruity than floral.
I feel something sharp like vodka in both scents.

PG19 Louanges Profanes by Parfumerie Generale 4.18 out of 5 based on 122 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Parfumerie Generale PG19 Louanges Profanes fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Parfumerie Generale PG19 Louanges Profanes, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify PG19 Louanges Profanes by Parfumerie Generale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of PG19 Louanges Profanes by Parfumerie Generale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.