Designers » N-Q » Oriental « Groups

Artemisia Penhaligon`s for women
dislike

I have it: 426 I had it: 114 I want it: 305 My signature: 14

Artemisia Penhaligon`s for women Pictures

Artemisia by Penhaligon`s is a Oriental fragrance for women. Artemisia was launched in 2002. Top notes are nectarine and green notes; middle notes are green apple, lily-of-the-valley, jasmine, tea, violet and vanilla; base notes are oakmoss, sandalwood, musk and amber.

Nectarine Green Notes

Miyabi Woman

Artemisia Fragrance Reviews

honeybaby
honeybaby

My husband wore this for a year! We got it for him while on vacation in Miami. We both loved it! Only recently found out that it is "for women." I don't think he was embarrassed by that or anything (I wear Cartier Declaration, Hermes Voyage and have worn Vetiver by Guerlain and he loves these "men's" fragrances on me) -- but I don't think he will wear it again. Maybe I will!? There is something so warm and nutty about it. I really like it.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Artemisia

Penhaligon

Nectarine Green Notes

Green Apple Lily of the Valley Jasmine Tea Violet Vanilla

Oak Moss Sandalwood Amber Musk

Artemisia!

This fragrance seduced me with it's greenness which I mistook for actual artemisia. There is no artemisia note but they can fool anyone into thinking it's on here. The green notes in the first spritz are shrubs and sage bush, medicinal plants that smell just like walking into an herbal shop with that unmistakable green medicinal plant smell. Lovely. A summer time scent, it features sweet edible fruit including nectarine and green apple. They are both detectable and quite sweet, not at all like fruit shampoo but definitely like fruit out in the open air, sweet and projecting their scent to any nearby nose.

The floral notes in this fragrance are ravishing. Only three: jasmine, violet and lily of the valley. The lily of the valley, green and white floral notes combined, are at the forefront. This is a pastoral scent, like being in nature, in the forest with only the natural scents of flowers and woods. The violet is quite nice and I wish it was a bit stronger. It turns powdery as does the jasmine. Sweet powdery florals. There is a little bit of tea but it's part of that green note arrangement. The tea is not as noticeable as the flowers. To me this is earthy, aromatic, green and floral. It's also fresh and sweet.

The dry down is a musk which can be both spicy and musky. It had a strange resemblance to perfumes like Victoria Secret Heavenly Angels (floral musk) and Bath & Body Works Moonlight Path (floral musk) but it has much more going on because it is more full bodied and rich. Penhaligon would never really smell like either B&B Works or VS but it's a bit of the same type of musk dry down. The amber is absolutely gorgeous, resinous and warm, melted like actual amber from a tree. A woody note emerges and it's a sandalwood. There is also moss of oak and the whole thing feels like losing oneself in woods and getting your hair and limbs entangled in woods and moss and artemisia shrubs.

When I was little I remember the few shrubs and plants that grew wildly in cemented neighborhoods and parks, smelled like this scent. I don't know if it was artemisia at the time but it was. It's sharp, pungent, and it lasts and lasts and lasts. The scent is on you all day. I remember I had to take a shower to get ride of that artemisia smell. This is the more beautiful and perfumy verison of what I experienced as a child. I always wanted to smell it again and now I have.

Stunning and suitable to summer and spring. However as it dries down, it's warm and spicy-musky and amber, so it's also very lovely as a winter perfume. This is an all season scent: winter, autumn spring and summer. It's like they put all the seasons into one fragrance. Fruit for summer, florals for spring, and artemisia/tea/oak moss, sandalwood, musk and amber for winter and fall. You can wear this any time anywhere. Don't over spray as it's quite potent. A little at a time and it turns into a pretty powder.

Beautiful!

racka64
racka64

Soft, cuddly, mildly sweet, very feminine imho. You can never go overboard with it, it mainly stays close to the skin. If you want it to be noticeable to your surroundings, than you have to use it liberally, in which case it becomes a compliment magnet from either male or female acquaintances. All season gem :)

Soofiya
Soofiya

I can only detect a very soft,powdery musk,delicately sweet violet and smooth,not very sweet or too warm vanilla and a hint of fruity smell,maybe nectarin but not a juicy one..I love all the notes mentioned here,which I don't detect.tea,green apple,other florals but no problem..I really looove this soft powdered scent..it''s very delicate,fragile and amazingly clean..actually this is the cleanest scent I've ever smelt,I don't know why I find it this much clean,it reminds me something very familiar which I'm not able to recall now..maybe smell of a body lotion or a body powder or a cleaning product or something like this..it's summery,fresh,girly and lovely..I really do loooveee the initial phase,there are not dramatic changes in notes,I just feel the overall scent gets a bit warm and a dominant sandalwood sits on the front seat,this little change makes it less pretty to my nose,I just wished that cool clean musky violet and fruity icecreamy vanilla lasted forever..however I don't dislike the drydown
longevity is moderate on my skin and sillage is almost soft.I'm thinking hardly to remember what was that familiar smell,identical to opening part
❤️❤️❤️

Jamiljames
Jamiljames

This fragrance was one that I often smelt on paper and could never understand as to why it was so popular. I could not smell ANYTHING.
Gradually I familiarized myself with the scent. Someone had remarked previously that it is best to think of a strawberry dusted in icing sugar. Its now a fragrance I enjoy wearing for personal preference. It definitely comes across as feminine. I love the soft, un-offending musk of the scent.
Everything within this scent is very soft. It smells great on a nice summers day. I once however smelt it in the hot Indian weather and did not enjoy the scent at all. In hot weather the notes smell to sweet. This is a subtle scent and is not well suited blasting out.

MissGabrielleO
MissGabrielleO

This is not a review so much as an observation. I had wanted this for a long time and finally ordered a gift set of Penhaligon's miniatures which included Artemesia. Being a fan of the Italian renaissance painter Artemesia Gentileschi, I thought that this could be my perfect signature perfume.

It is not a bad perfume, however it smells EXACTLY like the apartment and person of a woman named Selma who lived in our vacation condo building in Atlantic City in the late 80s/early 90s Selma was probably in her 70s, wore spangly sweaters, smoked, had curled and set dyed hair, and always wore lots of gold jewellery. She was kind of a more refined Grandma Yetta!

This is a lovely perfume, but I cannot actually wear it without being instantly transported there and it is so vivid that I can almost taste the little foil wrapped fruit candies she had in bowls on the table. I am now trying to figure out what she could have been wearing - I wonder if, given the notes, she doused herself in Shalimar? Either way, once I realized the connection, I've had fun spritzing this on at home on a weekend and being taken back 25 years to old New Jersey!

paneradfisk
paneradfisk

A soft, powdery, slightly sweet and delicate scent, inoffensive yet not boring at all. Pale and translucent yet memorable, cozy and comforting. The violets are well desguised, and marry very well with the rest of the notes. Don't judge it from the nozzle or the first spray, the drydown is the magic. A lower priced alternative is the perfume oil Madam X by Alkemia, which has more violets, but the same soft powder and sweetness.

Victoria88
Victoria88

This did not agree with me. I would describe this fragrance as smothering, muggy and warm. There's something about it that makes me feel carsick, nauseous. All I can smell is the vanilla, musk, amber, and sandalwood. It reminds me of Obsession by Calvin Klein.

StarfireK
StarfireK

Sweet, haunting and fragile. Not a fragrance for conquering towns or hearts. More of a shy, retiring violet. Pretty and mild.

UndergroundBlossom
UndergroundBlossom

On me this smells dry and almost like a faint trail of second hand smoke. I think Its the violet. Like many other reviewers have said, its very tame. Good for business meetings or a school PTA potluck. It is not daring nor is it a risk taker. I bought this fragrance in a set from Penhaligons, I do not think I will purchase it separately.

Hippo Princess
Hippo Princess

I fell in love with Artemisia at the Penhaligon boutique and the scent stayed on my mind (one might even say I was obsessed with it) until I finally got a bottle of my own weeks later.

This fragrance is simply dreamy. It is supremely comforting, and something about it reminds me of some fond memory I can't quite place. This is the scent of how bunnies feel, or how cream-colored Chantilly lace looks.

The fragrance is soft, little more than a whisper. The opening is sugared nectarine or peach pie a la mode, buttery-crusted and warm from the oven. This gives way to notes of creamy vanilla and powdery violet. Artemisia feels drinkable, like gently-spiced milky tea served from bone china.

I wear this to bed when I need to dream of being a princess.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Soft, nice, close to skin, safe pick.
Good for a bed time or hot weather.

Uriya
Uriya

This is such a lovely fragrance. I am kinda shocked of how good it is. I can't stop smelling my wrist. It's just soo gorgeous, and reminds me, in a way, Creed's Virgin Island Water. Love it.

I'm happy I'm not alone together with nail polish remover!
I tested this one yesterday. I like these bottles and Penhaligon's usually have that distinct old times aristocratic style, but bottles are not the most important thing. As soon as it hit the paper it reaked of nail polish or nail polish remover, not the aggressive acetone type rather the one flavoured with synthetic almond. I expected to see almond, at least, if not Ethyl Acetate ;-P
On my skin it gave out the same first impression then in a few minutes it mellowed down to an almondy, creamy, musky...nothingness. Not bad, apart from scary initial burst, but very faint and close to the skin.

noshant
noshant

Oh dear. On my skin, it smells like nail polish remover to begin with. The alcoholic and acetone-like bitterness slowly dies down a bit over time, but it lingers alongside the violet, vanilla and musk, resulting in a powdery, bittersweet drydown. The remover smell finally disappears after about an hour and a half, but that 90 minute period of smelling like fragranced nail polish remover just isn't worth it.
I was originally very excited to test this out, as the notes appealed to me as did the name. Unfortunately it just doesn't work on my skin.

TJthe4th
TJthe4th

I agree with those who say that it smells just like Cashmre Mist. The big difference is that CM smells terrible on my skin, and this is truly delightful. A little powdery, a little sweet floral musk. You can teach Sunday school in this and wear it with your cashmere and pearls.

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

Soft and bright floral musk with the slightest edge of violet and a creamy vanilla. Exquisitely refined, with the downside that it is a bit boring. Like all Penhaligon's fragrances for women, this is extremely understated and appropriate for the office. Every woman should probably have one of these demure, understated fragrances in her wardrobe, because there's always an occasion for a gentle and unchallenging floral. But just one. It's a "nice" scent, but there is only one way to be nice - there are many ways to be interesting, and Artemisia unfortunately has none of them. I like my sample but I would not spend $60 on this, let alone over $100.

My criticisms are the same as for every perfume by this house: it's so quiet that it is essentially mute, and it wears so close to the skin that I ought to start charging it rent. When you get so little projection that you forget you're wearing the fragrance even when it's slathered all over your neck, you have to start to wonder why you're paying such a high price for the product. Penhaligon's can surely afford not to skimp on the raw materials...

With regard to Artemisia Gentileschi, this Judith did not behead Holofernes. She did his laundry.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

I wear this often without too much thought as it is safe and appropriate to wear anytime. The Vanilla is warm and comfortable without being too sweet; The Tea makes it fresh and clean, and somewhat proper, and the Musk is subtle making it innocently sexy. Both my spouse and kids love this one on me.

magda14012
magda14012

Artemisia is one of those delicate soothing scents I use at night. I love its calming effect it has on me. Its subtlety, powdery whispers, softness. It is a perfume which allows you to forget about you hectic day, unwind and relax. Enter Artemisia spa!

sjam3295
sjam3295

Artemisia is a scent that I tried a long time ago, when I was just entering the world of fragrance; I dismissed it as nice but nothing special.

Recently, I tried it again, and discovered a subtle beauty in it I had previously missed. This is a lovely musky, herby, faintly floral scent. To my nose, it's more like an aromatic fougere than an oriental. I can definitely smell the tea, the oak-moss and the apple as well as the musk and florals. It makes for a scent that is somehow really fresh and comforting at the same time. I think it's growing into a love.

LeonieB
LeonieB

I like to think of myself as a bit of a "nose" but on an off day, I reach for something powdery, and Artemisia is always the one. Got a lovely selection of niche samples lately which included Amouage Lyric which struck me as a rosed-up Artemisia. Used to have a bit of a snooty problem with Penhaligon's, don't know why, they have some great and unique scents.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

The opening of Penhaligon's Artemisia on me seems to have a strong presence of alcohol, but it unfolds beautifully once calmed down. The gently spiced violet peeks through during the first hour. The fragrance then settles down into a velvety vanilla and musk with a rounded woody undertone, which shares some similarities with the red bean paste effect in Kenzo Madly, but warmer, smoother and more approachable.

The sillage is moderate to soft and the longevity is around 8 hours. Artemisia is quite abstract in nature. It feels like applying a nourishing cream on the skin, clean and comforting, yet so different from the conventional 'clean' 'fresh' type of fragrances. I'd definitely recommend it as a versatile yet unusual skin scent.

Paintedlily
Paintedlily

Artemisia is powdery, lightly floral, woody and clean. All qualities feel like they have a warmth to them as well. It teeters between natural and man-made (the word "synthetic" suggests a sharpness and this doesn't have that, it's very soft).

This gives me two distinct impressions:
1. Going for a nature walk on a warm, yet slightly humid Spring day.
2. A woman that has recently stepped out of the shower, applied body powder and is now styling her hair.
It could read either way to me, although I'd say it leans a little more to 2 because of the quality that reads "clean" (musk).

Sillage is soft, at less than arms length (this was applied from a dauber and not a spray) and longevity is about 4-6 hours on dry skin in a dry climate. Good for Spring or Fall daytime wear.

Very pretty fragrance with a soft spoken beauty. Will certainly be appreciated by admirers of subtlety.

Tarin
Tarin

I was looking for something ghostly and ethereal if that makes sense, which is why I tried this because it was recommended to me and even has been referred to as a haunting fragrance. It was nearly perfect, it smelt to me like being in a graveyard overgrown with moss and white flowers, it even has some smokiness about it but is still very feminine, I nearly went back and purchased a whole bottle of it but something just wasn't quite right to me, it reminded me of something that I didn't like but couldn't quite put my finger on, maybe the fragrance Gingham by Innoxa that I can't stand, which is a green, baby powder type perfume, or the muskiness in the dry down was just too sickly and overpowering, it's a shame because I thought I had found the perfect scent I was looking for but I guess not.

racb
racb

Love this - soft, fresh, floral but not sweet. It has a musky undertone which gives it a bit of gravitas.
It lasted a long time on my skin and settled down to a warm powdery, musky pleasantness.

Very nice.

fire2heart
fire2heart

This just arrived in the mail. Another blind buy.... I really need to stop doing that with scents that are at this price point. But, I found a decent price and took the plunge.

It is a very delicate smelling scent. It starts out smelling a bit musky and I can detect nectarines in it. There is a sharp note in it and I don't know if it's the green notes, the tea note or the lily of the valley. I can't smell it when my nose is up close but I can in the air around me. It then turns a bit soapy and it is powdery when I put my nose up to my skin. As I type this out, it has now turned to a skin scent of soapy powder and musk.

I'll have to revisit this when it gets warmer outside. I bought this for the summer months and it is cold and stormy outside at the moment.

So far, it's ok.

feezee10
feezee10

i love this smell when it is spray on the paper,soft and sexy scent.

on my skin, after few minutes it goes to powdery scent. i wish i can get the same smell as on the paper :(

nevertheless it is long lasting fragrance

nexangelus
nexangelus

This is extremely delicate, almost barely there.

It opens green and fresh, sharp nectarine, then soft powdery violet and delicate tea notes. Skin scent, soft...musky and fresh. No sillage unless large sprays and warm breeze I should imagine.

Lean, mean, clean musk if there ever was one. Soft, powdery and slightly soapy. Sort of bitter and woody also. Perfume minimalism at its finest. Thumbs up again Penhaligon's.

JuniperMimi
JuniperMimi

Very feminine. There's definitely a 'clean laundry' smell at the beginning. It's soft and powdery with some violet and there's something slightly spicy in there but it's not bold enough to work out what it is.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

This is a sweet, mild, elegant musk on my skin.

Expressively feminine yet tastefully restrained, this is just a tiny bit too generic for my taste. I don't think I'll be buying a FB, but I can see why others would. :-)

It grows on you though - be sure to give it a few minutes (or even a few wearings) to be sure you understand it completely. The opening, which is brisk and a little bit unbalanced, is not representative of the scent as a whole.

akhala
akhala

This fragrance is very elegant. I associate it with something a woman making a name into "a mens' world" would wear. And after all it was made in honor of Artemisia Gentileschi, the controversial and celebrated painter of the Renaissance. Long neglected as a serious artist, her work was often attributed to other male artists. Reclaimed as a feminist icon in recent years, she is now rightly seen as a serious and groundbreaking artist. She also spent some time in England at the court of King Charles I. Her most famous work is the chiaroscuro masterpiece “Judith Beheading Holfernes.”

It has nothing to do with the ancient queen Artemisia, the plant nor the deity Artemis like many think and are left disappointed.

For me the scent starts of with nectarines, apples and green foliage. After some time the flowers and vanilla kick-in. Beautiful flowers and wrapped up in sunshine and butterflies. The end is warm, powdery and earthy - mainly musk and oak moss with the rest of ingredients lingering somewhere there as to remind of themselves.

I wouldn't describe the scent as fresh at all. On me it has a lot of presence and warmth and this is making it more suitable for the fall/winter season, or perhaps a cold summer evening.

And the bottle just got me - very beautiful! Artemisia is truly unique but yet comfortable scent!

Fioletowy
Fioletowy

This is a beautiful floral scent that's not too sweet even with the lovely violety powdery dry down. It feels very grand and old fashioned to me but I like that so no complaints.
However, on me it's so strong and lasts forever, so much so that for the first couple of hours the smell is so powerful, it's like being hit over the head with a copper bottomed saucepan. Subtle it is not, not on me. So I have to be careful where I wear it. At home on my own, fine. In a lift, no.

becuille
becuille

This is a pretty scent for women who don't do cutesy. It's so soft and giggly, but never gets sweet, sickly or overtly fruity like so many other frags that aim for "pretty" tend to. It's like a gentle tickle.

Penhaligons really have blending down pat (except for Bluebell). It's nigh on impossible to pick out distinct notes in most of their fragrances and this one is no different. You get a hint of the violet throughout, but it only serves to soften the scent, it never overwhelms. I'm very impressed with this house's use of violet in both this and Ellenisia. They seem to really understand where violet is at its most useful within a fragrance.

This is predominately powdery and musky. It's very soft, with minimal sillage. About an hour in, I thought it was veering towards soapy, which is something I really dislike, but it snapped out of it and stayed flirty and pretty - but in a very elegant way.

Pared down, grown up pretty. I love it.

starlakid
starlakid

I was delighted this morning to receive my full bottle of Artemisia. As a newcomer to the world of fragrance appreciation I shall leave describing it to someone with more experience. What I will share is that it makes me feel as though I have walked out of an E.M. Forster novel or that I'm Julia from Brideshead Revisited. I couldn't help but put on my favourite dress today and the heels I wouldn't ordinarily wear.

missgeschick
missgeschick

This is an intimate scent. The first spray is kind of musty, it evolves into a nice powdery vanilla-musk with a hint of violet and peach later. Soft, warm, close to skin, feminine... but no sweetness there for me.
I guess I have to try this several times yet to decide if buy it or not.

etude83

(And Penhaligon's is one of the dwindlingly few lines that SA's at the high end department stores won't give you bitch-face for lurking around the testers for an exorbitant length of time. *cough* GUERLAIN *cough* What is WITH that?)

etude83

I agree that there is a sweet, soapy inoffensiveness to this one that is actually surprisingly charming. There is baby powder -- but not a la "Love's Baby Soft." In other words, the sweet talcum aura it invokes is complemented by some depth and even a bit of dissonance. (I feel the same way about the "baby powder" of KM's Loukhoum.) I don't really get the fruit notes listed, but I do get the violet and vanilla. And I swear I smell some sweet myrrh in this -- to the point that I'm reminded of Profumum's Vanitas if somebody swapped in stevia for the sugar.

If you love sweet orientals but can't quite stomach gourmands, this may be right up your alley.

dkny27
dkny27

Very soft, very innocent, demure, sweet... Almost like a soft green, lightly sweetened baby powder.
This is a very pretty scent, dare I say
"school-girl-esque"?
I get a mild soapy violet/vanilla/peach combo with the drydown of a very calm woody tea.. Ever so vague if you don't know what to look for....
Very sad that the longevity on me was only about an hour....

MirageMirage
MirageMirage

GORGEOUS!...and addictive ;)

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Very girly musk. Opens with a floral/vanilla blend that kind of reminds me of the smell of bananas. The musk is also present right from the beginning and lingers in a billowy haze of sweetness. I wish I got more of the lily of the valley and violet than I get of the fruity notes. Longevity is good- about 6 hours. Stays close to the body. Love the bottle too!

iamaround
iamaround

To me this is such a cozy sandalwood musk vanilla scent.. these are the notes I get the most. Artemisia is so easy to wear, it's a cozy comfort skin-close scent, and yet very lady like and sensual.

CeciliaKu
CeciliaKu

Penhaligon's Artemisia is a scent that you could wear all year round. It is soft, feminine and clean. As inoffensive as it may appear to be, that's not to say that you won't stand out in a crowd.

AhnSom
AhnSom

Blind purchase for me. Just delivered. First impression: so very familiar (and not Cashmere Mist). It is delicious and light. So beautifully balanced. The familiarity is like a word on the tip of the tongue. So close yet eludes expression. I feel as though I've known you forever Artemisia. As it develops an absolutely perfect vanilla/musk emerges. NOT sugar cookie vanilla, or cheap vanilla lotion, or cupcake lip gloss vanilla, but orchid vanilla, beguiling breathing vanilla. "Bows and flows of angel hair, and ice cream castles in the air, and feather canyons everywhere . . . " as Joni Mitchell wrote. The fruit notes are balanced so perfectly with the vanilla and musk that they do not shout and jostle for attention. They sing harmoniously. There and not there simultaneously. I smell the nectarine but almost do not recognize it because I have never experienced a nectarine so perfectly sweet and ripe in real life. It occurs to me that it may be the "green" notes which account for that nagging sense of familiarity I am experiencing. Violet and lily of the valley definitely present. I find that this fragrance reminds me of an Italian Renaissance painting, perhaps by Leonardo. The individual notes are idealized; rendered more lovely and perfect than they ever might appear in life. And taken together, they elevate the composition as a whole to the realm of the divine.

hsd1
hsd1

Reminds me so much of Donna Karen Cashmere Mist. After all these years, I remember this smell.

Yesterday I loved it, however today it is being bumped down a notch to 'like', as I sadly suspect this might be what is giving me a headache:( I remember when DK first came out, initially I also loved it's soft coziness, but that had the same effect, so I gave it away.

I have had this on for 12 hours and it is still going strong on my skin, but wish it would wear off since I have a headache. It is soft, sweet and powdery, with vanilla and a bit of musk on me. Soft, like something a ballerina might wear in the winter.

Donna Anna
Donna Anna

This is a beautiful, feminine and extremely gentle fragrance. It literally caresses your skin. It is also sweet and the scent of vanilla is very pronounced. When I tested this scent for the first time in the beginning the opening truly shocked me. It is a messy hodge podge really! Some sharp fruity smells mixed with something almond like and very intense smell of alcohol. It is pungent and not very attractive. But luckily it quiets down immediately and morphs into this beautiful luxurious vanilla scent. Something almond-like lingers on which is also nice and warm and comforting. I also can smell the violet after the dry-down. And soon the musk also kicks in and it is all comfort and coziness and tranquility after that.

The problem? Not much development takes place after that point. And the scent is just so mellow and subdued since there is no contrast between the notes. Now the first time that I tried it I just fell in love with it. I kept sniffing it and drew comfort from it. It was absolutely great. So I bought a full bottle. And I sprayed it again the next day... and it was nice, and the third day... well, I was already bored with it and couldn't even notice it much and when I even noticed it I wasn't drawing the same kind of pleasure from it as in the first day. Soon I was craving something really fresh and pungent!

You see? Such one dimensional fragrances are subject to the law of diminishing returns. Like eating a box of luxurious chocolate truffles. The first one is heaven in a bite. The second one is just lovely, the third one kind of nice, but the fourth one is forced and the fifth will just turn your stomach.

That is the same thing that happened to me with regards to Artemisia. It is a beautiful fragrance, but it is so sweet and mellow and unoffensive that very soon you will get really bored to death with it and crave for something sharp and strong, something pungent and something a little more daring.

Of course I understand that there is always room on every woman's dressing table for one or two such fragrances as Artemisia and I don't regret buying it and just like the chocolate truffles I will soon be craving some more of it for a day or two.

Artemisia in its own genre is truly a great fragrance. But I think I would go for something more contrasting and multidimensional if that were to be my only fragrance for a while or my signature fragrance.

The longevity is quite good, but sillage is really modest and it just hovers around your skin. Especially in the later stages people would think that you smell really good, but they might not notice that you are wearing a fragrance. I would not wear this in warmer months due to its creaminess and sweetness. It is great for fall and winter. I also think it is a great scent to wear at work since it is so pleasant and unoffensive, but on a night out or a dress-up occasion I would go for something more theatrical and daring than little sweet Artemisia. But at nighttime when you want to relax and cozy up in bed it is a wonderful scent to wear. It is very calming and surely will bring you sweet vanilla dreams.

A.M.H.2
A.M.H.2

Sorry this review is meant for Amaranthine!
This fragrance is not for everyone. I bought it a year ago, and have been in a confused cycle of love and hate ever since. I finally understood it. This is definitely a floral, a white one. A creamy sweet white bouquet of long standing flowers. To me it smells of very rich and intense white flowers that has been displayed in a vase for a week or so... and then extracted for perfume! Another point worth mentioning is that, on me at least, this perfume only works its magic in warm or sunny climates. On a cold or rainy day it smelled awful and disgusting! I don't know, I'm just sharing my experience. Try it and see for yourself!

Pari88
Pari88

This perfume is so Real. It is perfection. Artemisia has absolutely no faults or flaws. If Snow White has a scent, this is surely it. Artemisia is breezy and warm, sweet and comforting, like a 73 degree Spring or Fall day; always flowing in perfect harmony. This is by no means an "innocent" or "naive", it is a Wise Humble Goodness. It is a breathe of fresh air, and a sharp Right turn away from all the fragrances with no faces. This radiates a beautiful smell all around you, and leaves memory scent trails where you have stood or sat. It is truly divine. Artemisia is not masked behind powder or musk, vanilla or amber, floral's or citrus.
Yes, there are similarities with Cashmere Mist, but that is very much clouded by strong musk and powder, while this keeps a perfect balance. I can not put the notes in proper place, but it is creamy, green, sweet and light, but lasting and silage is above par. It shows slight acidity, but stays neutral the whole way through. Initial spray is sparkly green with acidity, and the middle is more powder sweet, while the drydown is mixed perfectly, sweet light crisp yet a heavy silage.
All I can say is this is absolutely Enchanting...I really love it. It makes me very self assured, but also self aware...A Beauty this is.
Update: This gets even better with time. Have it on your skin throughout the night and wake up to an enchanting smell. Spray it on a coat and find that a week later a glorious smell is coming from your closet.

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

On me, this is violet, jasmine, vanilla and MUSK-MUSK-MUSK. And I love it :)

This is so very feminine - it has quite a gentle, soft quality about it but it's "there" enough to be noticed. From the notes listed, I thought this may be a bit too simple/safe for me...but I'm pleased to say it's not. I am blessed enough to live in a climate where it's sunny most of the time and I also have a large, beautiful garden out the back...I can easily picture wearing this perfume while sitting in the sun with a good book and a glass of white wine.

Artemisia is elegant, lady-like, understated and all things CLASS. The longer it's on my skin, the more it envelopes me in such a warm, comforting, loving, FLORAL way. This is just beautiful. Thank you to the amazingly kind and gorgeous member here who sent me this decant - will be buying a big bottle when it runs out ♥

wendy nicholls
wendy nicholls

this is a very feminine fragrance, and not to over powering just like new baby skin smells like, just nice. I will bebuying this again for shore it must be tried I think delish..

mutmiu
mutmiu

Artemisia and Cashmere Mist have the same main notes - lily of the valley, jasmine, sandalwood, vanilla, musk, and amber -, so it isn't surprising, that they are resembling to each other. Artemisia is softer, creamier, not as dry and synthetic-feeling as Cashmere Mist, but they share almost the same milky-vanillic, musky, cozy drydown. They are perfect comfort scents.

I think the name Artemisia refers to the ancient Greek virgin moon-goddess Artemis, and not to the actual plant. And indeed there's a lunar aspect of this pure, creamy, somewhat white fragrance.

Second correction: if I wear Artemisia rather dabbing than sprinkling, I don't detect the annoying salty-bitter oakmoss note after drydown, just the delicate creamy musk-vanilla-violet fragrance. Artemisia is not a candy sweet girlie-scent, nor a flashy diva-perfume, just completely feminine - a gentle, warm, comforting fragrance.

BelleBeryl
BelleBeryl

Today I am wearing Artemisia I have the 1.5 ml vial sample Eau d'Parfum It is a well rounded blend of powdery florals the middle notes of jasmine tea lily of the valley vanilla violets apple are very well blended and the base has a hint of oakmoss & amber amongst others. The Penhaligon's website see their info on notes. I like perfumes with oakmoss and amber in the basenotes this is one of them.
This is such a lovely beautiful fragrance I added it to my to buy list for this year. A lovely must have scent.

tsth
tsth

This is the epitome of a very feminine "girlie" scent. It is pink ballet slippers and pastel satin ribbons. I had to own this scent just because I do not have anything like this. My scents are so womanly and oriental heavies and I wanted one that was dainty, sweet and so very feminine. I agree w/the poster below who said a "princess" would wear this!

Redpula
Redpula

Using a generous two dab from a sample at different areas of my arm, the initial scent on my skin, a light nail polish remover that is a bit strong on alcohol. It is like an Ambroxan or Molecule 01 but is more airy and piercing to my nose. A couple of minutes after, it changes, the piercing alcohol is gone, a very close to skin scent of softness and cleanliness, not much of a powder, but a lesser aggresive musk comes out and a very light baby oil scent that is so good (could be the mix of light oakmoss and sandalwood) but has to be sniffed deeper to be detected.

I just can't smell the fruits, florals, sweetness, creaminess and other notes. It is too light, nice but barely there. This is for women who isn't much into perfumes but would love to have something so good of a smell other than lotion.

myolderbrother
myolderbrother

I was told Kate Middleton wears this, & while I don't know if it's true, it seems certainly believable & fitting. This is truly a scent I can imagine her wearing.
The notes seem to be baby powder, more baby powder, vanilla, & baby powder. It is nice, comforting, & pretty. It's not for me due to all the baby powder, plus, I live in Las Vegas. I can see this being a wonderful cold weather scent. If I were a princess, I would wear this proper perfume!

Inessa66613
Inessa66613

Smells like nail polish remover from the very beginning and then...so so weird.

tonix8
tonix8

At first I didn't care much about this scent, it smells just like Cashmere mist. After a few minutes, however, this settles down into a creamy, milky aroma that just drove me crazy! excellent. just the comforting, cozy smell i've been looking for.

eludiastar
eludiastar

I fell in love with this perfume within seconds of smelling it in their shop. At first I was resistant to buying it as it's so expensive at £95 but I managed to buy some from their outlet in York for around £40.
As much as I adore this perfume, for the price the sillage is extremely poor. It fades from your skin so quickly, so to get any last you really need to spray it on your clothing. As a result of this I found that I was using excessive amounts each time & my bottle ran out very quickly.
I am very reluctant to buy any more of this perfume, which pains me as it is so beautiful. But thank you so much to the users of this website I will be checking out the recommended alternatives. Donna Karen's perfume seems to be a very reasonable price so fingers crossed I can find it in a department store to sample!

myjebo2012
myjebo2012

I bought this in Berlin and was shocked after getting to the US that its twin sister is Donna Karen Cashmere Mist. The touch is just a tad lighter.

gomt
gomt

Oh my, how soft this one is! Creamy-powdery, warm and delicate. A subtle blend of musk, vanilla, violet and jasmine. Quite a romantic perfume.

The powderiness and soapiness reminds me of Salvatore Ferragamo's Signorina. They are different when it comes to notes, of course, but this softness somehow brings them together. Artemisia could be Signorina's older, more mature and elegant - but still very feminine - sister.

It stays very close to the skin, and not for a long time in my case - about 3 to 4 hours. I wish it would last longer.

Penhaligon's Artemisia is a fragrance that I can only describe as soft, feminine and clean. I can see why so many women adore this fragrance, as it is full of charm and elegance.

I hesitate to classify this fragrance as soapy, so I'll stick with clean. The creamy vanilla accord stops it from becoming too predictable, and what a relief it is that this fragrance is more than just 'shower fresh'. It goes to show that clean doesn't always have to be plain and boring.

Penhaligon's Artemisia is a perfume that I feel extremely comfortable wearing, so I whole-heartedly recommend this fragrance to just about any woman, even those that shy away from anything too loud and obtrusive. As inoffensive as it may appear to be, that's not to say that you won't stand out in a crowd. While testing this fragrance, my boyfriend had many positive things to say about it, so I'd assume that men enjoy its scent.

I really love Penhaligon's classic approach and style. It is something to be admired, even if it is very British. They have a knack for florals, and compose them so beautifully that they suit almost any occasion. Penhaligon's Artemisia is a scent that you could wear all year round.

Other than having a dominant blend of crisp white musk and creamy vanilla, Penhaligon's Artemisia also has a soft, powdery violet note and a hint of sweet jasmine and sandalwood in the base. I see that some reviewers are complaining that the longevity is poor, well I'm just adding my two cents, but I found the lasting strength quite impressive, lasting well over six hours on my skin.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

It took me a while to write this review as I'm neither enchanted by this nor put off by it. I'm more nonchalant. From this lovely named bottle, I get a woody muskiness, no violets but a light whisp of white flowers and bergamot. It's well-composed, the notes that could have been jarring in other compositions, sit well together in this. It would have gotten a better mark from me if it lasted longer than the 2 plus hours I got from it. Perhaps it's just me, I hope others get to enjoy this far longer than I did, despite copious amounts sprayed all over skin and clothes. It's a dignified, class act. I just wish it lasted more than one scene.
I have a full bottle from 2 years ago that's sitting quietly with my other scents, I usually carry it with me on travels as it's an easy shape and size to pack, the outer box is quite sturdy and I've never had an issue with either breaks or spills with Penhaligon's on travels. Just a useful titbit.

Zephyrae13
Zephyrae13

Am I the only one wondering where the Artemesia aroma I love so well is?

beatrix75

o my husband told me thath i smell sooo delicious !!!and from him its something if he sad so but its really one of the most good frag what i have!

plannack77
plannack77

It is a wonderful fragrance. Soft and delicious. However, it has no staying power no matter how much I spray on my body. A shame.

beatrix75

very soft very feminine and i feel the violet in this in the begining more than anything ,then the fresh and creamy jasmin,sandelwood,aple ,musk,vanilla and lilly of the valley !its a creamy delice its wonderful

aschiffm
aschiffm

Confectionary sugar powder vanilla and Milky creme with a hint of nectarine and white moss . It's unique, Unusual, cozy and feminine. Kind of smells like M.A.C. makeup (which smells delicious).

After the initial powderpoof stage, it beautifully transitions to perfectly sweet green apple and creamy jasmin, creamy lily of the valley, creamy violet, and creamy vanilla. This scent is indulgence!

don't let the word "fruit" scare you off, the nectarine and green apple are laced just so enchantingly against the powder, its really magical. like a fresh breath of powder, glitter and iridescent confetti. the unicorns on the bottle are very fitting of this magical unique scent! I put this on before sleep, it's kitten soft scent.

rosecat
rosecat

I love this perfume - it's soft, snuggly, cuddly, powdery and creamy. Its like wearing a soft cashmere cardigan and a pretty silk dress. It is very personal to me, i dont need anyone else to smell it on me, as it provides me comfort and feels truly "me". Its vanilla, mossy, amber, tea & white floral. Yes like cashmere mist but a bit more interesting.

lucifera
lucifera

i have to agree with alexa27! the cashmere mist is indeed a smilair to this

fragoleconcrema
fragoleconcrema

My parents bought me a small flacon of Artemisia during a recent trip to London.

Surprisingly this took quite a lot of trying out to get used to. Top notes are very vanilla-ish to - though I detect some of the fruity notes. But nevertheless, Artemisia is a special perfume all right. The dry down is exquisite, and another plus is that, on my skin, it's rather long-lasting actually.

tklicavoli
tklicavoli

It's soft, feminine, and terribly sexy without being overt. It opens with an earthy tang of nectarine and green apple but it isn't fruity at all. It's more of fruit skin scent. It's not juicy, it's milky. Candied violet and creamy vanilla meet in the middle like old friends who dare to be lovers. It's a quiet romance that doesn't need to shout or be sugary sweet to be delicious. I find this refreshing in a world of over the top, gourmand, dessert like celebrity perfumes. There's also a slightly wet dark green element thanks to oak moss. Lastly, the dry down is a perfect powdery tonka bean dream. Artemesia is intoxicating and memorable. I feel like myself when I wear it.

Women who enjoy Guerlain and Dior fragrances will love this. Artemesia could easily be the older, more sophisticated sister of that tart, Miss Dior Cherie.

I love this fragrance so much, I wore it on my wedding day.

It's soft, feminine, and terribly sexy without being overt. It opens with an earthy tang of nectarine and green apple but it's not fruity at all. It has a fruit skin scent, not so much the juice. Candied violet and creamy vanilla meet in the middle like old friends who dare to be lovers. It's a quiet romance that doesn't need to shout or be sugary sweet to be delicious. I find this refreshing in a world of over the top, gourmand, dessert like celebrity perfumes. There's also a slightly wet, dark green element due to oak moss. Lastly, the dry down is a perfect powdery tonka bean. Artemesia is intoxicating and memorable. I feel like myself when I wear it.

lara0905
lara0905

Somehow this scent is very reminds me of Laura Biagiotti's Laura infusion with Bijan Nude but the creamy-milky-oily way.
The top notes fades away very fast, leaves the creamy-bit oily- sweet vanilla shakesmell with some sandalwood-close to skin-drydown.I feel the sultry feminity in this scent.

paradisolucky
paradisolucky

I love this fragrance. It reminds of going to the countryside fair and sampling the candied violets. Very fresh lightly coated with a powdered sugar. It has a slightly creamy taste to it with a sweet and fresh and almost citrus tang to it. How I loved to walk around looking at all the booths with different homemade trinkets, quilts, and foods to sell while I wandered aimlessly and blissfully with a sweet and creamy fresh floral taste on my tongue and filling my nose.

9154mf
9154mf

Soft feminine creamy and milky is how I describe this. It has an elegant understated feel and is not perfumey at all. Wear this if you want to smell fresh and clean without being citrusy. Silage and staying power not great but I love it anyway. Top notes lasted about 10 seconds, powdery violet and soft vanilla come out almost immediately.

websterj
websterj

This is a "special" perfume. I don't wear it every day but when I want to smell elegant. I limit myself as I don't want to develop an allergy to it as i have with some fragrances.

semj
semj

I do like this. It has a creamy and powdery feel to it. There is something 'guerlainy' about it and I think it might be the oakmoss.
It has a warm and comforting feel. Unfortuneately its quite linear on my skin and anly lasts a few hours.

sparkybish
sparkybish

This a soft, sheer, blankety scent that I use on days when I don't know what else to wear. It stays close, but there is enough sillage for people ask me what I am wearing almost every time I wear it.

allexa27
allexa27

Thia is Donna Karan`s Cashmere Mist twin .Try it and u will see

Fresh fruit and flowers softened by avelvety vanilla/oakmoss/musk base. There's an almost milky sense here, smooth and cool, but it dries down to a very basic soft musk on me, and loses all the nuance. Still, the dry down is also nice, if inoffensive. I won't be buying a full bottle, but I did like experiencing the sample.

Cereza
Cereza

Oh my, it opened so lovely with burst of bubble gum sweetness from the peach&apple. I feel amazing violet with hints of tea and a tiny bit of jasmin, but for me the violet is dominant and, oh, boy I do love violet.
I feel L-O-V as well, which I'm usually not so happy about, because of it's power to enduce headache, but here it's very gentle, well blended with creamy and comforting vanilla+violet.

I find this to be a comfort scent, very beautiful and very cozy. I love it.

romanticflower
romanticflower

Artemisia is a wonderful blend of creamy almond and soft oakmoss.i do really love wear it when i wanna feel wraped by a sensual fragrance.i perceive is lovely and delicate synphony of clean and pure notes, nectarine plays with lilly, jasmine and violets in the meanwhile shy vanilla shares the sheet music with moss, amber and sandalwood creating a sophisticated composition.perfect both for girls and woman very atractive parfume for fall and winter

melia
melia

On my skin, this is rather creamy than powdery. Don't get very much fruits. Vanilla and far away some moss and green notes. A rather comfortable smell though, kind of a skin scent too. Not very 'loud'. Reminds me of those winter days when your mind seems not be on earth at all, but constant somewhere in the clouds. At that point, it's the best to stay at home on the coutch watching movies, accompanied by Artemisia.

Penhaligon ARTEMISIA is a lovely oriental floral, to be a bit more precise: lightly vanilla-dusted violet. The dominant violet comes through from the very beginning and persists through the drydown, which is a slightly sweet floral woody scent with a touch of vanilla. In fact, the development is so quick as to make this virtually a linear fragrance.

ARTEMISIA has good staying power and medium sillage, with a clean powdery aspect. I very much enjoyed wearing this fragrance on a relatively sunny summer day, so although I might have thought it better suited for cold weather, in fact, it has turned out to be an all-season beauty.

Sissi
Sissi

I can smell the predominace of apple
and the faint smell of Vanilla those
two scents dominate the other notes
some people have an talent to seperate
the other notes easely i have i bit of an hard time with it I Can smell Eather
2 notes or 3 notes out of 12.
this is one of the Plain Jane scent
from my collection a bit dull.

uninco
uninco

It was so nice on the paper, that I just could not wait to try it on my skin... But on the skin it is so disappointing! It is nothing enjoyably. Too sharp and too old-fashioned.

mocha43
mocha43

I got a sample from LuckyScent and loved it so I went to e-bay and was able to get a 3.4 oz bottle from an English e-bayer for 40 pounds which is $61. He got it to me in 10 days! He is all sold out currently. Oh, yes, the perfume is heavenly,the tea combines with the apple and jasmine and Idetect a note of fig even though it is not in it. From first spray through dry down and beyond, it is lovely.

geegee
geegee

I got a small bottle from ebay, oh boy is this a gem of a find for me.

As it progresses it just seems to get better & better & made me feel like i was a princess wearing the most expensive diamonds luxuriating in the wonderness of heaven.

Its romance with a capital 'R'. Gorgeous, luxurious & very femine without being girly.

A complete liquid goddess.

I mostly feel the apple, musk and violet notes in this fragrance. It smells fresh, soft and light enough. But I think that this fragrance smells too simple. I don't mean the delicate simplicity, it just reminds me a typical fresh fragrance. Nothing special.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Lovely, lovely lovely. Artemesia bursts out of the bottle in a haze of fuzzy pink peach, a hint of fresh cut grass and a cashmere soft musk, so seductive, it creeps up behind you and tousles you hair without you realising its there. Sometime after the initial excitement, the front line begins to step aside a little to allow the middle notes to take two steps forward, not to take center stage, you understand, but to complement the front liners, a beautiful rain soaked lily of the valley, nose dipped into the tea caddy, and drawn out again by a carefully dangled fresh baked vanilla cookie dipped in ice cream, again, all of this still dancing beautifully with a pink peach. As the base notes begin to shuffle forward, the whole thing has a very slight but unmistakable note of the finest ice cream parlour from my childhood, (Notarianni's), a vague residue of vanilla pipe tobacco, cappucino froth and delicious dollops of italian icecream with waver curls standing proudly. This is probably achieved by the delicious powdery musk, which is the glue which holds the whole delightful mix together, and the gentle earthy oakmoss. I dont get sandalwood at all...
I love this so much, I use the shower gel, the body cream and the talc too, layering to the max, or just a dusting of talc before I slip between the sheets at night. This is the stuff of heaven. Buy some, then blame me for your suffering bank balance.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

Another perfume that makes me feel myself a young lady from the high society ) Mostly lily of the valley and some fruits. Like other Penhaligon's it's not annoying and smothering, but not too light. I love Penhaligon's perfumes for this balance.

lolita82
lolita82

very soft and feminine fragrance. its reminds me alot of givenchy very irresistable.

HelloLovely27
HelloLovely27

I have fallen madly in love perfumes change on everyone but on my this is the most lovely soft violet and vanilla. It has a lovely freshness at the top but it is so lovely and soft it just caresses you! The amber and musk are lovely and warm. I am in love with this fragrance and this house!

The first time I tried this perfume on I told myself that I would see how it changed on my skin and how it held up then I would be back another day if I really loved it. Ten minutes later I had turned around and purchased it! I can not get enough of it!
During dinner hours later I kept getting soft whiffs of it coming up from my neck line!

So gorgeous!

essija

I absolutely adore this scent, it is so soft and fresh, It doesn't smell oriental on me, it's floral for sure I think It changes on my skin ea time I wear it. I Love the Bottle its so pretty and unique..

essija

Soft and feminine, I get alot of lily of the valley and violet in this. I like it, I think it would be pretty in the summer. Very soft, would rec for those who don't like bold scents.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Artemisia fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Artemisia, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Artemisia by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Artemisia by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.