Designers » N-Q » Floral Green « Groups

Bluebell Penhaligon`s for women

Bluebell Penhaligon`s for women
dislike

Bluebell Penhaligon`s for women Pictures

Bluebell by Penhaligon`s is a Floral Green fragrance for women. Bluebell was launched in 1985. The nose behind this fragrance is Michael Pickthall. Top note is citruses; middle notes are hyacinth, rose, jasmine, cyclamen and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are galbanum, cloves and cinnamon.

Citruses

Hyacinth Rose Jasmine Cyclamen Lily-of-the-Valley

Galbanum Cloves Cinnamon

Wet Garden

Bluebell Fragrance Reviews

miaou
miaou

This is a very dusty retro floral. I love hyacinth and i like every single note in the pyramid, but i totally dislike this fragrance : (

ankali
ankali

This is awful for the first 10 minutes (my husband's first association was turpentine), but once past that blast it becomes something very unique and lovely on me: green, spicy, and lightly floral, like a wet, wooded area just near the flower beds in a palace garden. Consider me a new acolyte in the cult of Bluebell.

username101
username101

Very pretty bottle but disappointing smell.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is a bold, wet-green scent. Of greenhouses and fresh rain. It isn't for everyone, isn't delicate in the way one expects it too - though once it dries a little, it evens out. At first, it is a little surprising, but it finds its own on the skin in time, not changing too much, but coming across as less potent.

If you like full, strong perfumes that recall the wilderness, the green and grey, windswept days, this could be your bottle. The drama of the Irish or Scottish craggy and peaty coastlines. The tang of that icy salty air in the nose. Definitely what I would place in the 'cooler' perfumes category, for the moisture and greyness and rain-like energy to it. Strangely compelling.

There is a romanticism and enchanting quality to Bluebell.

becuille
becuille

Like many other reviewers, I don't know whether to love or hate this. Is it a ferocious, lush green floral or is it a bitter, boorish mess? I changed my mind on that every 15 minutes or so.

The hyacinth is beautiful, all earthy and green. But the lily of the valley is a bit of a problem for me. I think it may be what makes me veer from love to hate with this fragrance at times. There's something very synthetic about it. Of course, synthetics can be a great addition to a perfume, but I'd expect a house like Penhaligon's to use a high quality lily of the valley. Perhaps they did, but something about the way it smells here reminds me of making "perfumes" in a bowl when I was a little kid. The rose it fairly potent throughout and again, I'm torn with what to make of it. On the one hand, it's a really beautiful rose scent. On the other, I don't quite feel it belongs here.

The hint of spice is subtle and intriguing. I can't help but want to strip this one right back to just the hyacinth and the spice to see what would happen then.

The blending isn't as masterful here as I'm used to from this house.

Just as I write this off as an icky mess, I catch a whiff of delicious, spicy earth and fall in love with it. Then I change my mind again!

I actually think if I smelled this on someone else I'd really like it and be impressed they'd tackled such a difficult perfume. I just can't decide at all if I want to wear it on myself. It manages to be both beautiful, fascinating and a scrubber all at the same time.

It's a strange one!

The sillage is fairly strong (although not disturb a whole room strong) and the longevity is insane. Showering didn't even remove this.

I think this might be for days when you need to project your best "I'm brave and I don't give a damn" image.

pi^2
pi^2

A bad blind-buy. I used to have hyacinths flowering all over my house and I wanted something that smells like them. I could not get this one to test it before buying so I ordered it online and what a disappointment! It's heavy, cold, unpleasant, gives me a headache (which I'm not prone to), and as one of the reviewer said, simply off-putting. But it's an interesting smell, I must say.

gomt
gomt

I absolutely can understand why this one can be both loved and hated at once. I've tried it several times, and still haven't made my mind.

It starts off terribly, it smells exactly like the water left in your vase after the flowers have wilted. But after a quarter or a little longer, it turns more pleasant. But not easy to wear, mind you.

It's heavy, wet, dirty and dark. It's a mixture of hyacinth, dew and wet grass on me. I can't really pick particular notes, though - just the general fragrant image.

Bluebell is not a safe everyday perfume, I believe it can't be comfortably worn in the office - it cannot be contained within four walls. It's the smell of freedom and wildness, with all their darker side.

I can totally imagine HBO Girls' character Jessa Johansson wearing it. Wild, dark, puzzling thing.

tgb79905
tgb79905

I love it and hate it. Yes, it smells like toilet cleaner for several minutes in the beginning. Yes there is a terrible, sharp, chemical lily-of-the-valley. But after those fade away there is a very heady, crazy town, wet floral. Wet wet wet, like April in a swampy woods, roots are rotting, logs are water soaked, and Lady Chatterley is running naked through the trees in the rain. It's fabulously weird.

Grottola
Grottola

Bluebell is an absolutely lovely floral built around gorgeous white flowers, the particular combo being lily of the valley and hyacinth, both which combine along with the galbanum and citrus to bring a bit of sweet "fizziness" to the whole thing. Doesn't smell old or dirty, it's very accessible, very high quality, and just enjoyable all around. INCREDIBLE longevity - it lasts over twenty hours on me, even with a shower. I'm sure I'll probably get a bottle of Bluebell at some point, because, even if it is a feminine, I'm a sucker for springtime white florals.

AhnSom
AhnSom

Blind purchase. I was sick with a head cold when I received this fragrance and have been waiting several weeks for symptoms to resolve before I dared review it. The reviews I read prior to purchase appeared to fall into two camps: this frag is disgusting; dirt and bathroom sanitizer, and: lovely, enchanted, wet forest, and hyacinth. I was pulling for the latter. My first impression was not so good (but remember, snuffly nose, not optimally processing scent). I got a note of the hyacinth which was quickly overwhelmed by what another reviewer described as "carbolic soap" essentially public lavatory. My husband entered the room and announced "I smell cinnamon." Overall, I was profoundly disappointed, but held out hope that maybe something would change. I smelled it again a week or so later and was thoroughly revolted. All I could get was carbolic soap drowning a perfectly lovely note of hyacinth. What a hideous mistake. Who would knowingly craft such an olfactory monstrosity?! But today all that changed. I was deciding what scent to wear this morning and tentatively gave it a sniff fully expecting the glum nastiness I had previously experienced -- but no! Here, at last was the Bluebell I had hoped for. It is piercing and cold. Spiky like a purple and white iris. Easter in March. Early spring snow storm. A silver bowl of blue hyacinth. It has a little of the sloane ranger to it. Perversely elegant, like a pair of go-to-hell pants. The spirit of the late, and truly great, Clarissa Dickson Wright.

Melvinmilk
Melvinmilk

She comes from the 7th dimension
She is his exquisite capture, his soul possession.
She enchants him with out speaking
She keeps his darkest secrets in a charm around her neck.

He is a nomad, a seeker looking for his heart
He is hideously handsome and deeply flawed
He has eyes that are so dark, that only She can light his way
He is the Seraphim's keeper

She loves him in a place far beyond his understanding
She lights his path and innocently guides him towards her
She is the one who stole his heart, he is coming to take it back.

He devoured her beauty.
He wants her madly...constantly.
He possessed her mind her body
He darkened her soul
He takes her until she is no more

He will forever be a man lost in deranged desire
She will forever haunt his every moment,
He will take his last breath in total darkness thinking only of her light.

This mystical fragrance is like an old Scottish fairy tale. It innocently draws you in and leads you into a place that will forever change you.....some for better, some for worse. This is the mystery behind Bluebell.

brt
brt

I tried this for the first time this morning and it's the first Penhaligon's I've ever tried. It been on for more than an hour and honestly, all I get is the scent of dandelion! Reminds me of the dandelion necklaces we used to weave as kids. Not my cup of tea but I will admit the scent seems very pure and straightforward, very linear. I certainly wouldn't pay the asking price for this one. I have better hopes for the other Penhaligon I have a sample of - Ellenisia. We shall see what that one brings when I try it later on.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Simply the finest, greenest, freshest bowl of forced hyacinths to bloom at Christmas. The difference between this cologne and a bowl of hyacinths, is, unlike the hyacinths, which get top heavy, the fragrance won't topple under it's own weight and start smelling of mushrooms. Penhaligons produced a soliflore of pure genius with this one. Blue outdoor hyacinths have the strongest perfume, and this captures it, right there, when the flower first displays it's sharp, green, violently joyful bloom. Marvellous.

Linnyhazelnut
Linnyhazelnut

Even after it has dried down it smells HORRIBLE, like some mud in Summer with leaves degrading over it ... Gosh, sorry but I cant like this!

lassmichdich
lassmichdich

i wear this quite elegantly...

doowee.teja
doowee.teja

I love the feeling when I spray this perfume! This is my first London perfume, I think is unique and lovely! I love how it smells very green and classic, feels like you are staying in the garden that filled with flower that blooms along with a morning dew! Personally I think this is too strong for summer, but great on fall and winter season, especially for evening time!

sofiebgoode
sofiebgoode

Does anyone else find this unexpectedly great for hot summer days? On warm skin and near water (as in pool, lake, ocean) it turns almost aquatic and very fresh. The "blue" notes really come out and the bitterness is toned down. I keep buying fragrances marketed as summer scents, but I keep coming back to Bluebell for the perfect outdoorsy summer mood.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Although I had been looking for a hyacinth soliflore for a long time, I had always avoided this one due to the many terrible reviews. As luck would have it, a chance meeting with a new fragrance-loving friend ended up scoring me a sample of this.

I love it.

This is the hyacinth I have been waiting for. What is perhaps repellant to others is what makes me adore it so much. The sweet, saliva-like quality of the flower is rendered quite well. It is very heady and indolic. The only annoying thing is the cheap muguet in the opening, but it clears up after a short while. It captures the overbearing and almost disconcerting nature of hyacinth brilliantly. I bought a full bottle right away.

Haptica
Haptica

I bought a "library" of scents on line, this one included. At first application it smells acid, high-pitched, stinky and sweet, like ketotic saliva. After a weird few minutes the sweet smell goes away and what is left is smoky, green and peppery. Wearing it I feel like I've just wandered into a Tanzanian spice bazaar. Adventurous, intoxicating, understated, precious.

It used to be all-chypres all the time, but in the past few years I've started seeing the attraction of those lighter 1970's perfumes: fresh, light, ephemeral. This eau has very little staying power like one of my other favorites: Le de Givency. But staying power or not, this is a perfume for someone who whispers to make herself heard.

One odd thing, it smells a bit "blue" to me. Perhaps that's the cyclamen ... ?

Carnation
Carnation

Hideously sharp and soapy with a floral arrangement more suited to a popular brand of air freshener than a women's fragrance. An injustice to the hyacinth flower.

pbluberry
pbluberry

At first spray, it's really terrible. It almost has a grandma's old coat or tapistry smell. It's a little hard to describe, almost a musty incense smell to me with a hint of cocoa. It's a little tricky this is to wear. I am kind of on the fence about it. I don't hate it but I don't know if I like it that much, but it's wearable to me. When they say warm spicy, they really meant it. After a few minutes, it fades into something interesting. Alot of people say dirt, I can relate to that. The dry down is florale but a very dry florale, alot of hyacinth which I found to be too much in this. Hyacinth is aways so dominating in a lot of fregrances to me.

I want to thank Vie Cafe for her generosity. Thanks!! :)

GuanYin2013
GuanYin2013

For me this perfume has no complexity. It has only one note. It smells like dead hyacinths - sweet, sickly, decay. It is almost inexpressibly vile. It is so bad, I could not even use it the way I do other perfumes I dislike e.g. as a room freshener, linen spray. I poured it down the bathroom sink and had to run the taps to flush it away. Nasty beyond nasty. I seem to react this way to any perfume with an iris, lily, lily of the valley, bluebell or hyacinth note.

I have tried about ten Penhaligon's fragrances and I find them all underwhelming or worse. The fragrances are either utterly disgusting (e.g. Bluebell, Lily of the Valley) or slight, watery, vague, uninteresting (Artemisia, Lily and Spice, Malabah, Endymion, Quercus). The only Penhaligon's fragrance I could say I like is Blenheim Bouquet but it is so weak and has such a short, simple development that it feels like a waste of time and money and I usually wear it layered to allow it to be carried by better constructed fragrances.

Verdict: a big thumb down for Penhaligon's in general and absolute revulsion for Bluebell in particular.

happyanna
happyanna

PLEASE READ THIS
I have tried every obscure perfume going, this one is the sit on the fence type. It is a rare smell, no perfume has come close to how this smells and it is unique. However I like this smell on a card and on myself but can see how it is over whelming. If you don't do floral don't buy. It does smell of earth, a little bit dirty! But it is strong in floral too. I like it for the dirty bit and find that once the floral has exploded and settled I can deal with it. I am normally a fresh or amber girl and this is in the middle. I think the true test is how others react, definitely different. Trust me I have tried all sorts!

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

This is lovely and I have to think that most people who hate this scent don't understand that it is basically transplanted hyacinth in a bottle, which is a polarising scent and one that I love in nature but wouldn't always if it was just bottled for ambient use. I make exception for this one as it is clean and fresh, it is not a sweet floral by any means but smells very much like springtime and the English bluebells I love. It has a delicate rose note in the drydown that compliments warm skin well.

tsofa
tsofa

I don’t get any of the British bluebell woods vibes from this perfume, although I would love to.

My husband bought it from a Penhaligon’s store, in London. He first called me, how nice of him, as they had offers both on Malabah and Bluebell. Although I had a sample of Malabah that I enjoyed, I decided to try Bluebell.

If it was only for the floral part of the scent, I would most probably like it, but to me this looks more like a floral spicy herby green mesh. I don’t get any of the citruses notes on my skin, just pure spice notes, with some hints of green if this makes any sense. I also don’t like the base notes, my body chemistry despises them so much, that every time I try to convince myself that I like Bluebell, I burn my nostrils!

I must admit, although, this perfume’s longevity is amazing for an Eau de Toilette. But to me, it still stays a disappointment…

cecfor
cecfor

I like both hyacinth and Lily-of-the-Valley. Fond of galbanum too. So I thought I might like this one. However there can be too much of a thing even if you like it and that was the case here. Very much hyacinth and Lily-of-the-Valley first and also bitter at this point. Not pleasant. Husband got an itchy throat so I had to wash it off first time. Today he is not at home so I try it again. When that first not so pleasant phase is gone the rose is the most evident on my skin and it is softer. A small hint of cinnamon is there too. It is all right at this point I think if you like roses.

anushya
anushya

Hi. I'm a newbie reviewer but I felt so strongly about this perfume, I had to let it out. This smells terrible on me!! I wanted so-sO-SO hard to like this but it just broke my heart. It smells vile on me. Like burnt rubber, and BURNT RUBBER. I had to get if off me but it sticks to you like crazy glue. I understand a lot people saying that you need to let it evolve on your skin but what if it's killing you?? I washed it off and rubbed in a big dollop of ellenisia lotion. Now that is totally up my street. I just so wanted to love BLUEBELL. Just not meant to be I guess. Maybe I'll try it again in a different weather, different age. Who knows the relationship might rekindle again. But for now it was just a 2 minute winter fling that ended very very badly.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Once the first very unpleasant minutes of sharp citrus and LOTV/Hyacinth are over, this becomes a very intriguing fragrance. Please resist the impulse to scrub in the first two minutes!! It calms down to a nice retro blend of florals and the cloves and cinnamon give this perfume an earthy, more woody tone. The house of Penhaligon's seems to be rather skilled at mixing flowers and spice in an unusual manner (Lily and spice, another great perfume that ALSO carries a smell of soil/dirt that I just love).

The final result is a quiet spicy/earthy, retro and very English fume. I like my decant but won't be buying a full bottle.

pianomanmiller
pianomanmiller

I bought this perfume for my daughter for Christmss and I couldn't be more happy with it. It's such a pure and innocent fragrance. As many have already said, it smells of spring. It is not anything like the designer fragrances that are being made these days and in my opinion, that is why so many are caught so off guard by it. Plus it is a beast at longevity. She applied it this morning and I could still smell it 12 hours later every time she came near me. I couldn't suggest this enough but I would not blind buy it. It is not for everyone.

lakuota
lakuota

My, oh my... This one doesn't work out for me by any means. I have a decant, which I got in summer. I disliked it in summer, I disliked it in autumn, I dislike it in winter. Only from personal interest i'm keeping in until spring - maybe suddenly it will become more wearable. My another idea is to layer this perfume with some heavy smoky incense scent to elicit something similar to LAP Passage d'Enfer. I see no other way to make it work, because what i feel now is a smell of cheap and disgusting air freshener. The only people I imagine could be wearing this are either shepherd girl from a fairytale or sentimental older lady, who didn't have the chance to try any other decent perfume in her youth and stuck to this one.

And it could have been a lovely perfume with hints of fresh cut grass at the beginning, subtle pink rose in heart notes and rich galbanum in drydown... Why did they have to kill it all with that atomic mix of rotten hyacinths and lily-of-the-valleys?? You can't explore dynamics of the scent, because there is no one - everything is overshadowed with those florals and scent seems very linear. Do you mind sniffing that synthetic smell on your writ all day (yes, it's very long lasting)? I hope you do.

I expected English bluebell meadow, but the reality is far from this fantasy. Hyacinths and lilies smelled way better in my grandma's garden. Exquisite bottle, though. And thanks for reminding of the "I Capture The Castle".

9-na
9-na

The ironblooded one. Well, this scent doesn't smell of iron or blood to me. But the impression is here, and is not about to leave me, it lasts, boy, it does. As for the smelling part, it's my Granny's garden lily-of-the-valley scent, just like I remember, I pick a bunch of flowers and put my nose into the bunch, touching it, drinking its smell, getting almost drunk with the smell, and the feeling of leaves on my skin is here too, yes. And there is something metallish in the very smell of the flowers, like it lives in there, runs through the flowers the way blood does when we talk about people. I like the scent. It is nice... and it has a spine.

nearfantastica
nearfantastica

My Mum bought this for herself because she is a devout follower of the Royals, Lady Di in particular and she thought it would be nice to own and wear a fragrance the "Peoples Princess" once wore. However, when she opened the box and sprayed it on herself, she took one whiff and was absolutely REVOLTED!! She didn't say why or what it was she did not like but she despised it. So, she gave it to me, thinking I would swap it for something else. I am usually a lover of Orientals and sweet perfumes and the occasional floral so I really was not expecting to like this, nevermind LOVE it. But, to my surprise, after about five minutes on my skin I am just in love with this fragrance. The only other florals I truly adore are the original Yves Rocher "Pivoine" and the original "Chloe"...add this gem and that rounds out my top three favorite florals. Now seeing it is winter, I won't be wearing this out of the house until snow melt come April, but if I know I am not going anywhere and I will be in the house, I will surround myself in the gorgeous blue garden...if I am lucky enough to spend Christmas on my beloved Vancouver Island, this perfume will be attached to my hip. It is utterly moody, beautifully composed and entirely feminine..you can be sure no one else will smell like you whilst adorned in this cloak of beauty...

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

Ahh Bluebell.. loved or hated in these reviews. Full of notes I don't like and yet I can't quite stop smelling my wrist. The last time I had this was with L'Ombre dans L'Eau.. tomato plant, rose, cassis.. blast of green and then sweet sweet. This is a similar experience. It is more than the sum of it's parts. It's spicy yet cold. Earthy yet candied. It is strange but I keep coming back to it. Where I live we have many bluebell woods. People crash their cars on the bends in the road as they stare into the forest. One bluebell is pretty, but millions of bluebells carpet the ground, hiding under the trees, spreading out in all directions. Silly but it feels like you've found magic.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

i'm sorry. i tried so hard to love this. i wanted so much to love this especially after that movie " i capture the castle". but no. i love penhaligon's but this is revolting to me. i don't smell any bluebells... well none that are alive at any rate. it just smells ? rotten. i apologise to all who love this but i won't blind buy a full bottle to those who haven't tried it.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I agree with those reviewers who find Bluebell to be an abomination, but my take might be a bit less knee-jerk. Here's the thing about Bluebell: it is what it is. Chemical hyacinth, blaringly strong, right up front, with piercing lilac and galbanum flanking it. Then, an earthier accord of clove and cinnamon, which actually breathes a welcome airiness (ironically) into the composition. Penhaligon's was successful in creating a scent that mimicked damp earth with a faint floral haze hovering over it. For about fifteen minutes there, Bluebell has me thinking that this brand actually made a beautiful perfume. Then, sadly, the whole thing goes flat. Hyacinth, lilac, cinnamon, clove, wet earth, dewey flowers, all deflate like an understaffed Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float. In the end, Bluebell smells like a toilet cleaner.

abigailandgeorge
abigailandgeorge

A truly beautiful scent; it evokes memories of a time gone by, from the heady aroma of fresh cut hyacinths, to the quaint Victorian style bottle and packaging. A timeless perfume; a gift to treat oneself.

rainbow.owl2
rainbow.owl2

very, very strong hyacinth. if you like that then lucky you. I had to wash it off after a few minutes as it was giving me a headache.

even though I love bluebells this scent is not for me, my husband agreed it's not nice on me.

what a shame! such a beautiful bottle too, luckily I only have a sample.

jesseyanne
jesseyanne

One of my favorites. I love the changes this undergoes on my skin, like a fresh garden morning outdoors and an evening inside with warm cinnamon. It is a little too sweet, but that is contrasted with galbanum. Galbanum doesn't smell sexy to most I know, but everyone that was in my most recent aromatherapy class agreed it affected them like an aphrodesiac. So, I like the innocent Bluebell for its naughty little secret. :)

Belladonna_dea
Belladonna_dea

The minute I applied it I was instantly taken back to walking outside on our farm as a young girl in the bitterweeds. It wasn't perfumey outside, it was literally like walking outside. I am stumped at how they captured a picture in my mind, in a bottle. Impressive. Then the perfume began to take on a soapy quality on my skin. After that it quickly went away. Not something I would wear, but it's interesting and I definitely enjoyed the experience.

stacia79
stacia79

There is something so evocative in this. My childhood, walks in the woods, talking with God. This seems like it should be worn by a young maiden from another era, it has a fairytale quality to it. I also enjoy the I Capture The Castle reference this perfume has. Ultimately it felt too green for me, but it is haunting and rather long lasting. This would be fantastic on a girl with pale blonde hair and porcelain complexion.

Printeza7
Printeza7

I absolutely adore this perfume. At first I really did not like it, but I have tried it again and again and discovered that the smell is simply just fresh cut hyacinths!When I wear it I feel like I just cut some bluebells from the forest and the fragrance of the green leaves and the flowers is penetrating my skin making this wonderful spring scent.Then the middle notes make their entry settling the fragrance to a softer, more serious smell.

jch
jch

This is my all time favourite. Smells just like hyacinths at first, and then ends up smelling a bit like soil but in a good way. It's very fresh, earthy, spring like and very English. Captures the scent of walking through the bluebell woods.

fwwm
fwwm

I really wanted to love Bluebell by Penhaligon`s, but I dont... I am sorry, but it is way to sharp and spicy. Then strong tones of roses. I see all the praise this scent gets here - so it might be my skin in the summer time.

cryptic
cryptic

Bluebell has a cult following for a reason. It may not be alluring or sensual, but it is certainly a romantic fragrance. It conjures up "I Capture the Castle," blustery Spring days and the beautiful English landscape.

I think one of the reasons why Bluebell gets panned is the vast difference between expectations and reality. Judging from the name and the packaging, you would be more than justified in expecting Bluebell to be a delicate English floral. In actuality, Bluebell is a striking blend of assertive notes: chilly green galbanum, sharp clove and a very vivid hyacinth. Surprise!

I'll admit that the gorgeous packaging is part of my attraction to the Penhaligon's line. I'm deeply grateful for perfume that doesn't remind me of a cleaning product or an energy drink by virtue of the plasticky bottle and the lurid coloring. If saying so makes me superficial, I guess I can live with that.

lara0905
lara0905

Penhaligon's Bluebell is an interesting fragrance. The opening is very green.I don't get lemons or any citrus note. Fresh cutted grass with some hyacinth. After a few minutes is settles down to a little powdery- musky -hiachynt-lily of the valley with some cinnamon undertone. The drydown is very close to skin.

I think this frag is could be a nice daytime scent if it's works well with the skin chemistry.Actually I really like it, perfect for spring days.

Ok, let's stop for once playng the good boys and girls game.

Sometimes I forget how much a perfume can be ugly and annoying. Anytime it happens I reach for Bluebell as a reminder. Horrifying synthetic floral at its worst. Simply abominable.

sgiammic
sgiammic

I liked this perfume, but was disappointed that I didn't love it. It was very linear for me: first sharp, wet and earthy, then cloves, then sweet sweet rose. None of it bothered me, and I enjoyed the mix of earth, spice and sweet flowers. Ultimately, the rose was just too sweet for me; the floral element has a real saccharine quality, so sweet it's synthetic.

I notice that different people experience the notes with varying strength. One of my sisters smelled straight cloves, and the other smelled wet earth and forest -- she loved it. I suggest giving this one a try! Not for me, but I can definitely respect people's love for it.

Tabin1
Tabin1

Did not like this at all. Too bad, because I had high hopes. Too green, too hyacinth. And I have to agree with Tessture, too much like frsh garden dirt!

maximus1
maximus1

Princess Diana wore Tearose on her wedding day, according to the mother of one of the flowergirls. She wore it also and had a conversation with Diana about how they wore the same fragrance. She also wore Miss Dior for a very long time.

sarahlindabeth
sarahlindabeth

It's very fresh, like soap, but the scent disappears from the skin within minutes, both for me and for anyone I've asked. Quite a nice few minutes, but very expensive.

Siv55
Siv55

I really wanted to like this when I tested it when I went to London. I love the Alice in Wonderland style bottle (did Tenniel influence the designer?) and I love the smell of bluebell woods. However this doesn't smell like them, nor indeed, of any of the notes puported to be in it. Nailvarnish remover and wee and something stale. Did not appear to drydown into anything nice, just disappeared thank god. Unfathomable that anyone would buy this.

Chibichaca
Chibichaca

Starts off strongly smelling of hyacinth. Then it turns into mainly cinnamon.

Cereza
Cereza

I was hoping for lovely floral green, but what did I get in return? Something terrible. Sharp, full of clove and spices, the clove is so strong that I can't even feel any flowers. MUST SCRUB OFF NOW!

P.S. On the other hand - don't want anyone come near you? Wear this. This will scare off not only vampires (clove!), but every other human being. Or being. My cats are horrified.

I bought the bottle because it was so pretty, thinking the scent would be light and floral. I could hardly believe my nose when I sprayed it on my wrist. I wanted to return it but couldn't. It is extremely strong and smells purely like rose, black pepper, cinnamon, and sandalwood. Sounds revolting, no? Totally unexpected after looking at those delicate little bluebells on the bottle. I can't believe that any classy English lady would wear it, except for maybe the Queen. There is nothing quintessential English about it. I've never smelled those beautiful little bluebells, but I highly doubt they smell like red roses mixed with twice the clove.

I grew to like it, but it's not the one I reach for regularly. Mostly it becomes tempting on a cold day when I'm just running errands alone. I wear it when I'm alone because, to be frank, I worry that others might be offended by it.

As for any mention of green notes and fresh gardens, I smell not one single trace of those things. It's more like grandma's stuffy, dusty attic or an old bowl of rose potpourri.

Test this one before you buy it!

UPDATE: I must be fair and add this. As I said above, this becomes tempting on cold days. I wore it on a cold, rainy day recently...and it becomes quite magical. The cloves die down and it becomes a warm, rosy cloud. I can see how this could remind people of England. This scent would be great for those foggy/damp days that they have. But I must stand by my original statement that this does not remind me of fresh gardens or anything green. The only plant to be found in here is moss.

romanticflower
romanticflower

Bluebell is very green at first then a strange smell of crisp flowers emerges, i do not find it particular pretty for my taste i do prefer warmer and floral fragrances, but for who loves green floral scents this is the right perfume

I really like the greenish-tinged floral opening of Penhaligon BLUEBELL, though I am not at all sure what bluebells smell like and so cannot say whether this abstraction resonates with reality or not.

Unfortunately, the cloves become stronger in the approach to the drydown, making this floral green a bit heavy and less natural smelling to me the longer it develops. I'm sensitive to cloves anyway, and I certainly have never smelled them in a grassy field of flowers. BLUEBELL might work better in cooler weather, so I'll try again at a later date--today it's 92F! I definitely had a better reaction to this composition last night, when the temperature hovered in the high seventies.

Justyna
Justyna

Not THAT horrid in my opinion. On my skin (after the first cold wave, chemical indeed) it turns into cloves and this spicy note is sexy in a way, sharp but calming. It remains bitter-sweet, like some medicine, perfect for April mornings and hot days as well, mainly for work. I find it unique and... smart (yes, some perfumes smell of intelligence!).

Gosha
Gosha

I really wanted to sample this, because I adore this shade of blue and think that this bottle combined with the name is soooo pretty! However, I am not usually fond of floral fragrances - could never quite say why exactly - but the (to me very long) opening of this fragrance gives me some clues: they just seem to be lacking some dimension, I think I am missing some musky or "animalistic" or spicy or powdery or deep notes, something lingering on your skin. They often seem to be pretty and frivolous and that's about it. :-D. For the first hour (or quite a bit more) all I smell here is the hyacinth and nothing else. No citruses or spices or green notes whatsoever, and the scent is not necessarily bad, but seems a little too simple/straightforward and monotonous after a while. I don't have anything really negative to say about it - it is indeed, fresh, spring flowers, pretty and optimistic. I don’t mind wearing the sample and could see myself wearing it...hm...say couple of times in a year...? But wait! That was before the hyacinth aroma suddenly disappears and I finally start smelling different notes. I can't say what it is, really, but it's rather delicious and soooo nice - I have tried it a few times just to make sure my senses are not playing up, because it's quite bizarre: the story is always the same - first hour or more pure hyacinth, quite plain and shallow, really and then suddenly when I think that the fragrance is not detectable any more, I start sniffing those beautiful notes - I have virtually walked around sniffing, trying to find out what the lovely smell is until realising that it's me! So would I buy a bottle? Hm...maybe a tiny one – to use it every now and then as I might to want to experience this transformation again...

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Bah! Horrid!! I was sold on the marketing and bought it from the lovely boutique in London before my wedding. I wore it on the day and luckily my bouquet (Hyacinths & Peonies) eclipsed it. It smells nothing like the English countryside!! I live below a native bluebell wood and they smell very delicate. This is full on synthetic garden hyacinth and my husband hated it.

Mals86
Mals86

I love nearly all the notes listed for this perfume - including the sometimes-difficult galbanum and cloves - and was really excited to open a sample vial, especially when the first whiff was a very realistic hyacinth, just like the ones I bury my nose in every spring.

Unfortunately, the spicy goodness of hyacinth dissipated within fifteen minutes, leaving behind a very synthetic-smelling, chemical-nightmare shrieking mess. It's rare that I can't suffer through the whole scent trajectory of a perfume I'm testing, but I couldn't stand Bluebell after an hour and had to wash it off.

I'll point out that it may simply be my skin reacting badly to the scent, but I did find this horrendous.

hyacinth, white lily and forest floors. With a little spice. Strange and complex while still feeling like a little girls' scent. CaraMia is right: without the spice and an addition of moss or cedar, this would be a garden in the shade of huge ancient trees. As it is right now, the spice makes it odd. Not bad, and actually very interesting, but odd.

essija
essija

Love this stuff, Perfect for Spring. Tessture did a great job describing it. It is scentsational! Clove and Cinnomon, makes this very interesting!

hathor
hathor

this perfume smells like the english countryside in late may after a shower of rain. wore it once on such an evening with a blue linen dress, it was just perfect. just seemed to blend in with the whole picture of an english village on a summer evening with the rain just gone and a bit of mist rising.you have to be in the right mood for it, sometimes i really don't like it. don't use it when you've got hay fever!! it is a smell that seems to follow you around. maybe my bottle is getting old, but i can't smell the citrus top note at all, with me it goes over very quickly to cloves and cinnamon, and hyacinths that are going over a bit, kept in a vase too long. a strange, rather eccentric sort of smell. my father liked it very much.

CaraMia
CaraMia

A fascinating scent. The opening is sharp citrus and heavy duty springtime hyacinth. The middle is a complete floral bouquet and almost hothousey(if there is such a word) and the ending is a combination of a very green galbanum melded with cinnamon and clove.

So it starts out like spring then brings you back inside for a spicy cider.

In a perfect world, I'd dump the spice and and add a bit of moss or cedar.

coco76
coco76

I'm suprised I could even put this near my skin what with the Hyacinth note (its pretty much my most HATED note) but I could not smell it. I don't know what a Bluebell physically smells like (although I found quite an interesting article about the disappearance of Bluebells in their native Britain, and conservation attempts of this beautiful flower)but I found this perfume to be suprisingly 'spicy'. I'm sure it must be a combination of the cloves and cinammon, but I was surprised to even see cinammon listed in the notes! Although this is a beautiful scent i'm not sure its for me.

Green, dirty galbanum and iris, like fresh garden dirt in spring. The dry down is more like perfume, but the opening is evocative and lovely.

Bluebell by Penhaligon`s 3.21 out of 5 based on 266 ratings and 66 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Bluebell fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Bluebell, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bluebell by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bluebell by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.