Designers » N-Q » Citrus « Groups

Castile Penhaligon`s for women and men

Castile Penhaligon`s for women and men
dislike

Castile Penhaligon`s for women and men Pictures

Castile by Penhaligon`s is a Citrus fragrance for women and men. Castile was launched in 1998. Top notes are petitgrain and orange blossom; middle notes are bergamot, rose and orange blossom; base notes are woodsy notes and musk.

Petitgrain Orange Blossom

Bergamot Rose Orange Blossom

Woodsy Notes Musk

Acqua di Genova Genes

Castile Fragrance Reviews

Wow for me this is a totally new take on orange blossom in that it doesn't start out with that waxy, over the top white floral, neroli thing to begin with.
It's a dirty kind of citrus to begin with which has a vague Orange blossom underneath...and I honestly do detect rose and musk, it's a good opening which unfortunately doesn't last long.
About half an hour in... all that disappears!
It becomes the familiar soapy white floral thing...incredibly soapy in fact!
I don't particularly like this fragrance I just find it interesting how the opening notes mask the floral heart in the beginning.
Not bad...a unisex fragrance with moderate longevity.

Castor
Castor

OK, I will write this in Spanish, for it will refer to scents available in Argentina...

Colonia Inglesa Fulton o Johore de James Smart. Si poco dinero, la primera. Si algo de mejor calidad, la segunda. Si se trata de un viaje a alguna ciudad global en donde se consiguen los productos de Penhaligon's y si Ud. justifica las 85 libras que cuesta una botella de 100 cm3, descarte las dos primeras y elija la tercera. No porque se trate de una versión extraordinariamente distinta respecto de las dos primeras, sino porque se trata de la misma propuesta pero con mejores materiales y por ello con mayor complejidad. Ahora, lo que realmente llama la atención es que el resultado final no es radicalmente distinto... bueno, seamos sinceros, las notas de salida de Fulton son sencillamente insoportables, a decir verdad, debido a un tono metálico, que para peor es demasiado agudo.

Para quienes venimos de estas tierras la propuesta es la misma que las típicas de las colonias de sastrerías inglesas: una salida cítrica, longevidad limitada, clásica al estilo de las plantillas de colonias del montón de principio de siglo. Con esto quiero afirmar que no deja rastros sobre la piel en cuestión de minutos.

En el caso de Castile, el petitgrain es evidente en las salida, para luego tomar un camino análogo al de las colonias locales mencionadas. La evolución es muy rápida, tanto que en cuestión de minutos sólo resta cierto cierto aire floral y almizclado, lo que lleva a que se la describa como atalcada.

Apoye a la industria local, compre argentino. No por nacionalista, sino por puro pragmatismo - 85 libras más un viaje a Londres, no es poco para una colonia inglesa, aunque se trate de la original..

LookOut
LookOut

This smells very nice, very classy. But also (at least on my skin) very feminine.

What I get out of this perfume is mostly the flowers. I usually dislike it when the rose stands out too much (like Penhaligon's Peoneve), but here the orange blossom balances it out nicely. Together with the bergamot it gets a fresh lemony (and kind of soapy) vibe.

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

Citrus blah but good quality citrus blah. Good longevity, classic but uninspiring.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I shouldn't really like this. It's a summery, soapy floral lemon to start with, like a mixture of Acqua di Parma and a good eau de cologne such as Extra Vieille. Maybe it's missing the rose in former, or the saltier herbs in the latter, but either way it just feels better balanced to me. Sniffing closer after a few minutes, it's a bit darker and greener with a wet, rich grassiness, but still somehow light and crisp; a combination seen in some of the better Gendarme scents such as Green. In the end, unfortunately, little is left beyond a well-groomed florid soap aura. Generally I'm very harsh in my judgments of Pen's scents because many have a common theme that seems too "perfumey" and feminine to me...Castile almost should as well, with such extensive floral notes, but I think it avoids that by its crispness, and ends up somehow unisex in a well-put-together way. Be prepared for the drop-off in strength later on, but I'd say that's forgiveable in this scent family.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

SOAPY

Francop
Francop

This Penhaligon`s scent is an absolute sheer delight to wear.

It starts fresh, crisp and citrusy until the neroli note arrives; this note plays the main theme of the scent for hours.

Longevity on me is good; at least 5 hours with 3 sprays on my neck and chest.

I choose to wear it on bright sunny winter days because of the uplifting effect it has on me. If the winter weather gets you down spray a bit of "Castile" on your neck and see what a big difference it makes on your mood and spirit.

A Big winner from the House of Penhaligon`s.

Big Thumbs up!

Zenith
Zenith

A nice if dull tradition cologne. While the notes seem well blended and suitable, this one just doesn't grab me.

Along with a lot of the other Penhaligon fragrances, this one also suffers form a lack of longevity, here and gone within a couple of hours.

Nice pleasant and soapy, but don't expect a great deal from this one

Marie76
Marie76

It doesn't feel like a perfume, it feels like a cologne, citrusy, lovely, fresh and classic.

sbhammer73
sbhammer73

Smells exactly like Acqua di Parma Colonia. Nuff said.

Majesty
Majesty

Penhaligon's Castile is a very beautiful,one of the loveliest Penhaligon's scents. Starts with bergamot and neroli,slightly citrusy,then you get orange blossom and soft rose.Yes,it smells soapy,but very natural soap. The drydown is woody,musky with wood and orange blossom. Castile is a reminiscent of sunny Spain,it reminds me of sweet orange marmalade and sunshine!Uplifting,energetic,soothing!Lasting power is good for a citrus scent! 10/10

eid-althani
eid-althani

in luv with this perfu.....................................the opening starts with soapy and fresh bergmote then u will start 2 hit on the rose notes u will ends up with a musky rosey soapy cologne gorgouse

Migotka
Migotka

As a rule, I am not very fond of citrus fragrances, but I am always open to trying them just in case. Castile did not prove to be an exception though. Tart, citrusy, with a lot of neroli. Hardly a ground breaking combination in theory, in practice is even less exciting. And as a subject for a review, totally uninspiring. Very clean, almost too clean- with a big dose of soapiness. It does not stand out among other citrus-orange blossom based scents, I have an impression that I sniffed it many times before. As a Penhaligon's take on citrus, it will probably be a good choice for the brands' fans. Otherwise, I am telling you, there is better stuff out there.

A "no surprise" eau de cologne. A blast of neroli/orange blossom in the opening joined by a subtle rose note and some floral patterns. Musk does a remarkable part during the drydown. Simple and somehow rich of clichè. I'm not the biggest fan of this type of fragrances, but my preference would go for other (legendary) compositions in the same genere. However, if you're into ADP and the likes, you may like Castile (assuming you don't get easily annoyed by a strong soapy vibe). Not for me.

Rating: 6.5/10

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I'm not familiar with what this kind of soap smells like, so I have to tread carefully here. Whatever the scent profile is, I'm not enamored with what settles on my skin from Penhaligon's version of Castile. This smells like truck stop restroom soap, and strong soap at that. Definitely a clean, aggressive scent, but positively unwearable.

Penhaligon CASTILE opens as a citrus aromatic scent with pronounced petit grain, but shortly thereafter the castile soap facsimile takes over and persists. This soap has an alkaline edge which does not appeal to me very much. In fact, it reminds me a bit of the soap base of the Clean line, of which I'm also not very fond.

This is definitely not a feminine scent, nor is it masculine. It is a particular type of soap in a bottle. Those who do like CLEAN might want to check this one out. However, those who prefer their soap in perfumes to complement complex floral compositions will probably be happier with something along the lines of WHITE LINEN or CALECHE.

Sissi
Sissi

The opening starts fresh with petit green
and zesty Orange blossom but turns soapy
within a few seconds which it is overwhelming at times like antibacterial soap but what notes makes it responsible
for the soapy feel i think it's the rose and the wood note. and the dry down of musk
is nothing to write home about.

triplex
triplex

I wish I would have gotten this sample before summer. Castile would have been fab for the summer-months. Well it´s definately a must-buy next year.
First the orangeblossom and bergamott is most prominent But after a while I got something like almond/heliotrope(allthough not listed amongs the notes)ending with woody vanilla.
This is just smooth, soft and vibrant at the same time. on the negative side..lastingpower is quite poor

lillybee
lillybee

I received a mini collection of these rare and very expensive colognes. Lemony and woody neroli are the first notes that a few minutes later develop a warmer tone and become more earthy with a soapy aspect. I don't detect any roses, they just temper and soften the harshness and bitterness of the fragrance somewhat.

Being true to its name, an hour later is smells like castile soap (savon de Marseille) a regular washing soap made from olive oil and caustic soda), Funny, but I kind of like it. The drydown is a soft, clean musk with the odd hint of woods. Staying power is about 4 - 6 hours, quite tenacious and a little goes a long way.

Overall, it's a soothing, clean, unobstrusive and gentle cologne with a hint of soapy (maybe slightly masculine) freshness that gives you a just washed myself with lemon / neroli / castile soap feel. It still doesn't justify Castile's exorbitant price, for that amount of money I can wash myself a thousand times.

Castile by Penhaligon`s 4.26 out of 5 based on 92 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Castile fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Castile, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Castile by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Castile by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.