Designers » N-Q » Oriental Floral « Groups

Cornubia Penhaligon`s for women

Cornubia Penhaligon`s for women
dislike

Cornubia by Penhaligon`s is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Cornubia was launched in 1910. Top notes are mandarin orange, freesia and neroli; middle notes are orange blossom, jasmine and heliotrope; base notes are amber, musk, woodsy notes and vanilla.

Mandarin Orange Freesia Neroli

Esprit d’Oscar

Cornubia Fragrance Reviews

raw umber
raw umber

Cornubia is a beautiful retro Neroli Heliotrope blend with an alluring helping of skanky Musk. It's like if Espirit d Oscar contained civet instead of ambergris. It's brighter and more opulent than L'heure Bleue, and deeper and more arresting than Espirit d Oscar.

I am in love with this and while I think it could stand to be less sweet, the sweet does offset the skank. Were the sweetness absent from the composition, men would probably be staggering after me like zombies.

You must love a little raunchy with your retro powder and some floral sweetness to love this. Longevity is 12+ hours. I wish I could trade in my L'heure Bleue and Espirit d Oscar for Cornubia.

I could see Ms. Fischer from Ms. Fischer's Murder Mysteries wearing this. Drop dead sexy flapper material.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Powerful, rich, long-lasting bohemian floral amber on solid woody base. My absolutely favourite Penhaligon's so far. Surely, it has something from Guerlain's HB, but even more so from Caron Montaigne. Cornubia is woodie, shinier, smells triumphant and glamorous, rather than motherly and absolutely addictive.

lilalina
lilalina

Powdery soapy heliotrope, with a beautiful sweetness to it. Starts with orange blossom this fades out and blends with the talc powdery notes, gives off a soapy sense.. Classic scent.

aistionnelle
aistionnelle

Cornubia is something unique in our perfume world.It`s not easy to mix flowers with ambery, vanillic and woody notes in such a perfect way.Really not possible to separate them- first impression is about flowery cloud finished with amber.There are white flowers present:mostly orange blossom, neroli and jasmine slowly dominated by powderiness. Heliotrope and vanilla heaven opens in the heart!And last for long hours.
Cornubia is a velvety,fluidy, very rich scent with some sweet accents.Be careful about application, might be a bit overpowering so two/three sprays are enough.
Sillage is moderate, longevity over six hours.Very good emanation.Suitable for autumn/winter time.It reminds a bit L`Heure Bleue: but -lost memories yes, melancholy- no ;)
Bottle also is a small wardrobe treasure, with glass, spheric cap, and a violet knot.
One of my favourite Penhaligon`s:flowery, powdery,even a bit dark -creates a kind of mystery aura around a woman who is wearing this beautiful scent

Jamiljames
Jamiljames

This was recommended to me by an Associate at the Covent Garden store. When I 1st sampled this I did not like it and thought it was too feminine for a man to pull off. After trialing a number of times I thought it would be worth purchasing a bottle.
I use this as a nighttime fragrance. I really like the richness to the scent. It has a very traditional old time feel to it. I have never worn this on a day to day basis. Beautiful fragrance.

fire2heart
fire2heart

This just arrived today. I wanted something out of my comfort zone and this is definitely out of my comfort zone with this being so floral. It does have a vintage feel to it.

I don't detect much heliotrope on my skin, which unfortunate because I love heliotrope. I get white florals, some sweetness and perhaps musk and I can smell the vanilla in the background.

I don't love it yet but I don't hate it. Perhaps after working with this for awhile, I'll learn to love it. I can pretend that I'm Rita Hayworth or Lana Turner because I think this is the type of scent they would have worn!

UPDATE :
This is on my swap/sell list.

Maenad1
Maenad1

Cornubia is not an original fragrance, but it is a beautiful one. It is like the love child of Christian Lacroix C'est La Vie and Guerlain L'Heure Bleue. It combines the sweetness of C'est La Vie with the powdery richness of L'Heure Bleue. The overall effect is a plush, velvety floriental, rich on iris, heliotrope and amber, with a soft, smooth drydown. It's not terribly floral, so if you tend to avoid sharp or overpowering florals, this is a safe fragrance to wear. Wearing this fragrance is like draping yourself in a fur coat or a shawl of the deepest shade of indigo or violet -- it's the perfect fragrance for winter. It has a vintage feel, but does not smell old-fashioned, although it's not light or playful. The only negative thing I can say about Cornubia is the lasting power isn't great. I have to reapply it a few times throughout the day. Still, that's not enough of a negative to turn me off from purchasing a bottle, which I plan to do soon.

Fiammuz
Fiammuz

Identical to Borgo delle Stelle by Collina Toscana. Ohne safron.
I prefer Borgo delle Stelle, more sensual and less old lady.

Nataliya
Nataliya

A copy of Krasnaya Moskva Novaya Zarya. And the same release time.
I have both and enjoy it)

Dreaming Violin
Dreaming Violin

Cornubia...It's my lovely and warm elixir for cold season. I detect a lot of amber, orange blossom and heliotrope with almond undertones - and don't hear other floral notes but it doesn't disturb me to have enjoy wearing Cornubia.
Some strange to find this composition (so saturated) among Penhaligon's fragrances, most of them more 'crystal'.
Retro style composition, obviously. It haven't nothing superficial, light-minded, a bit conservative scent, to my mind.
This scent was moved to my wish-list.

spidola
spidola

I have never seen my grandma’s perfumes…Maybe because I was too small, maybe because she did not have any…But I like to imagine the Cornubia staying on her dressing table and was used with care...
Cornubia is this kind of perfume that you cannot name as a scent or as a smell, Cornubia is the Perfume. It asserts its presence, it’s proud and feminine…and very retrò. It's been discussed if Cornubia is heavy or not heavy scent…For me it is heavy. Who wears it, would like everybody to know that she wears a perfume. If do not think about the past, today I can imagine a lady in her best years, wealthy and sure of herself, wear the Cornubia.

aschiffm
aschiffm

bright heady deep floral. has a cloudy yellow smell. i'm a big fan of Penhaligons for their other unique and sophisticated offerings, and i was looking forward to this because i love womanly perfumery scents, but this one kind of smelled like freesia suntan lotion to me. would be nice if you're looking for a strong floral though. but for me personally, i tend to go for darker scents.

roseombre
roseombre

Fluid Velvet.

Dark purple velvet.

Between Loulou and Jil Sander n°4.

evesoho
evesoho

My first words wearing Cornubia: "Oh, fancy!"

If Penhaligon's were to have an unofficial signature women's fragrance from their house, this could probably be it. Cornubia is a classic, and although clearly from another time, it remains appealing.

I disagree with the reviewers who say the perfume is strong. The opening is bold enough, but within ten minutes of applying it and leaving the house I could only notice Cornubia when there was a strong wind. An hour later my boyfriend hugged me and couldn't pick up the scent when I asked him if he liked the perfume. Mind you, I only applied two dabs. Orange blossom is always a bright and sharp note which cuts through air, which some people find strong.

This is the 2nd Penhaligon's I've tried, and I'm thinking that this house is well-behaved. The notes in Cornubia and the overall impression hint at sensual abandon, but structurally this is no French perfume. It's a red dress, but one that isn't too tight. Ankle-length, long sleeves, and a collar. Penhaligon's is British, and it seduces politely.

The citrus and freesia notes don't have many votes on Fragrantica, but to me they dominate the opening, and last into the drydown - Cornubia being fairly linear. No generic citrus note, but fresh lemon specifically. The yellow floral note, to me, seems like an important element of the perfume.

I agree with those who say the perfume has texture. Some have said: heavy, viscous, creamy. It didn't strike me as anything but honeylike. Cornubia's texture reminds me a lot of honey.

The heliotrope, amber and orange blossom are on display in a balanced and inspiring combination here. I don't always appreciate a mostly vanilla drydown, but it was beautiful here. I don't have a plan to purchase an entire bottle, but I'm grateful I tried it and all other perfume lovers should give it a try it, too!

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Sometimes this happens, when first sniffing a scent You haven`t ever before sniffed, it brings You some distant memories. This happend today morning to me when I was sniffing Cornubia. What a emotional scent! Gives feels of safety and warmth, like laying in arms of Your Loved one feeling that deep safety. This scent represents that feel. What a beauty! Definitely will go to top of my purchase list. Without daniela3´s generous sample I would not have possible to experience this beauty. Thank You Dear ***<3<3<3***

Wwendalynne
Wwendalynne

This struck me immediately as an old world classic perfume. I was attracted to it's powdered dampness and heady oriental notes. I love all the layered drama. I dance around with the gourmands, but always come back to the orientals for my long term relationships. This is a stunning keeper.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Wow, this is a killer. This is an amplified version of the Body Shop's Neroli Jasmin, with amber thrown in. On me the most predominant notes by far are the strong, slightly bitter neroli and the orange flower. A mildly medicinal amber makes an appearance in the dry down. This has amazing sillage, but is just too strong a scent for me, a very heady floral. Use sparingly and this could be a neroli version of Fracas.

dezaval
dezaval

When I was at my teens I read an article about the ten best perfumes of all times. According to it, Cornubia was one of them. It was the first time I had heard about it. Carrying this name, it was presented as a very glamorous and elegant perfume and recomended for exotic beauties. Many years later I bought it and, I must say, I was a bit disappointed. I like strong perfumes, but it was too strong. I like deep perfumes, but this was dark in an old-fashioned way. No, it's not for women with exotic appearance. It's very dark, but not mysterious. It lasts all day, but it gets tiring. Everybody would tell me that this perfume lasts for many hours, but none of them ever told me he/she likes it.

Majesty
Majesty

There is something that kills me in Cornubia.It has a sense of melancholy and deep sorrow which sets me off.Must be the combination of heliotrope and white flowers.Powdery enough to remind me of ''boudoir'' scents.It does remind me a bit of Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu although Cornubia is deeper and darker.Lasts well and has a moderate sillage.

letbythenose
letbythenose

Just back from Paris, spent one hour with the gentle mas in the shop, knowledgeable and kind. It smells like being dressed to the opera with heavy velvet dress, full make up. in the opera smelling of wood and velvet sits. reach and beautiful. plenty of textures. Very recommended. What an experience!

The Collection
The Collection

This fragrance packs alot of punch and I like that. ALOT. With its Initial Power walking in the same territory as other powerful scents like Angel and Black Orchid this scent is intense but also for my nose incredibly sweet at first which is what i need in order to draw in my interest for a fragrance. Like Dawnlady3 i too get a beautiful and very creamy vanilla base and it smells quite intoxicating, almost to the point where i wanted to lick my wrists and have the taste of the scent all over my tongue. It reminds me of growing up in the Country. Where my home was filled with wamrth and love and happiness. Although there is an incredible sexiness and suggestiveness about this fragrance the sentimentallity and the memories of home-cooked dinners and a house full of people and friends who would come and stay for the weekends and enjoy the estate are always fixated into my mind. THe lasting power is phenomenal although i find that when sprayed on fabric, it lasts months and i love the faint smell its left on my pillows. I think this is what love smells like. I cant wait to fall in love.

lucifera
lucifera

Another blind guess, i knew i was gonna like it, turns out Cornubia=perfect! LOVE at first sniff
it's a good replacement for lou lou & more wearable , it's sexy and i love it *swoon*
too bad i already have quite a few winterscents otherwise i'd buy this in a heartbeat! BUT nevermind about that, a bottle is on it's way

romanticflower
romanticflower

Cornubia is a very strong and deep oriental fragrance. to my nose is very sharp and i perceive very strong woodsy basenotes that cover its floral heart. is the kind of parfume that wears well a black haired woman with a sensual body shaped of provocative curves. a woman dressed in red with lascivious eyes,,,

Penhaligon CORNUBIA is one potent little potion--again, I find myself wondering whether my sample vial might actually contain perfume!

This is a winter composition: thick, viscous, heavy orange blossom suspended in some sort of indestructible ambery resin. I like this heady concoction, but it must be very sparingly applied, and I have only dared to wear it on sub-80F days such as we have been happily experiencing of late.

CORNUBIA hits my nose as a linear creation which comes on very, very strong and fades over time, but it remains a spicy floral similar in some ways to champaca straight through to the drydown. Some will find this too heavy-handed and blunt. But for even those who like big, assertive perfumes, one drop will do!

DawnLady3
DawnLady3

This lovely oriental fragrance is one of my favourite Penhaligon's. I find it a bit powerful and sweet when I first apply it, so it is wise not to apply too much and to apply it a little while before you go out. Otherwise it can be a bit overpowering for the first half an hour. But then it dries down to one of the best vanilla bases I know (although vanilla is not listed here as a note!) The drydown reminds me vaguely of Shalimar - not that it smells similar, but it creates the same kind of mood. It is at its best about an hour after applying, and I find it lasts a long time on me. I just want to keep sniffing my wrists, and I really miss it when its gone - it is so warm and comforting and sensual - lovely.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Cornubia fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Cornubia, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cornubia by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cornubia by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.