Designers » N-Q » Aromatic « Groups

Douro Penhaligon`s for men

Douro Penhaligon`s for men
dislike

Douro Penhaligon`s for men Pictures

Douro by Penhaligon`s is a Aromatic fragrance for men. Douro was launched in 2004. The nose behind this fragrance is Michael Pickthall. Top notes are lime, lavender, mandarin orange, basil, geranium and lemon; middle notes are neroli and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are labdanum, musk, oakmoss and sandalwood.

Lime Lavender Mandarin Orange Basil Geranium Lemon

Neroli Lily-of-the-Valley

Labdanum Musk Oakmoss Sandalwood

Douro Fragrance Reviews

Redbeard
Redbeard

I probably should have done a side-by-side with Tiffany, Chanel PM, and PMC, based on forum comments. Initially very promising, it opens with a pleasant (non-acidic, non-fizzy) lemon over anisy barbershop-type spices, a top that I'd expect to herald a good wood scent farther along. It seems to get a bit weaker after the first few minutes and the lemon gets duller, sweeter and more powdery, like a lemon analog of the orange in Habit Rouge. It develops just the slightest bit of "wild/english fern" type herbal green in the mid notes, and initially remains more spice-oriented than that group, until the spices recede more and the ferny-ness becomes more apparent. In the end, I feel like I'm left with a sweet spice/wood scent that would be really great if not for the intrusion of powdery, anisy and ferny notes which I would prefer not to have. Their Opus 1870, while built around a different selection of wood notes (more cedar), feels more uncontaminated to me because they've chosen ancillary notes that don't bother me as much: sharper spices and maybe a little fruit.

Grottola
Grottola

Was Sartorial born from Douro?

No, seriously, check this out - Douro is an idea that I'm surprised hasn't been executed more. It's a chypre and a fougere crossed. The mossy-woody citrus/resin/lichen chypre quality is there, but the fantastic lavender/coumarin fougere accord that makes Sartorial so great is thrown in the mix, albeit much more subtle. Surprisingly, these elements don't clash, and what results is an incredibly smooth, almost seamless barbershop-esque masculine that doesn't smell too dated nor overpowering. I actually wish it were a bit stronger, but hey, it gets the job done. Good stuff.

Go4broke
Go4broke

Smells like a nice clean toilet. That is all.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

the more Penhaligon perfumes I try, the more amazed I am with this house.

This is so unusual to my nose. Lavender/lime/oakmoss indeed! As someone mentionned earlier, this is old-school inspired without having that cologne vibe. I love how this house has very distinct scents. Very English (or what my imagination thinks English to be!). I feel like I just rolled in a bed of mint and Lavender and I am juicing limes. If those herbs are very present in your life, you will know what I mean. It's a foodie smell, like a herbs garden in a lemon grove. We eat lavender where I am from and this to me smells like vinaigrette without the olive oil.

The lime note has a sour candy twist to it and the lavender slowly warms up to a spicier state after a few minutes. Oakmoss keeps it from being a light sporty smelling fragrance. I get a minty note like tooth paste too... the geranium maybe? It is very nice and I am thinking of wearing myself. (I am a woman for those who do not know me!)

I feel like this is what sporty Adidas shower gel try to smell like.

dry down, I have my face stuffed in the geraniums and I am inhaling deeeplyyyyy.

Review for the 2004 edition of Douro:

Not exactly old-school but more sort of "old-school-inspired" citrus aromatic with the usual lavender presence and a slightly synthetic, kinda mossy, vibe. Not terrifying as I expected but let's put it like this: if I should compile a list of my 100 favorite fragrances, Douro would be #83.257.

Note: The original Douro (Eau De Portugal) was released in 1985. The same year when the world got its first contact with Derby, Poison, Caron Le 3me Homme, Sables, Lauder For Men, Green irish Tweed...Hard times for minor fragrances.

sbhammer73
sbhammer73

This is one of the classiest "old school" barbershop fragrances out there. Absolutely love it !

TankGirl
TankGirl

Douro is the name of the most beautifull river in Portugal :) The river divided a valey surronded by grapevines, my grandfather family has a big farm in there and the landscape is awesome! I never smelled this fragrance but now I want to!

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

One of the classiest aromatic scents on the marked. Smells very natural. Perfect as an everyday refined/classy fragrance for elegant gentlemen. Great for most occasions and seasons, but probably best for spring and summer. It`s a eau du cologne, so sillage and staying-power could be better..

A very manly, aromatic scent and another superb scent from Penhaligons. I agree this is similar to Navy, yet I find it more of a dress blue type of Navy: deeper, richer and much more refined and very well mixed.

The lime, lemon and mandarin are balanced quite well by the lavender and geranium, and this a very dry scent despite the citruses. Mint here is more herbal, than fresh and bright. The inclusion of muguet's soft green and neroli's powdery sweetness adds to the virility of this scent; as opposed to detracting from it, as I would have thought. The base is musky but clean, and oakmoss is added in just the right amount to make it earthy/woody without taking over, and the labdanum resin (cistus) makes it feel rich and warmly incensy but not smoky or tacky. I really am impressed by this scent, and now that I have developed a taste for more classic smelling scents, may reach for this often...

Sillage: very good
Longevity: above average
Overall: 4.25/5

This has a superb blend of citrus, flowers and aromatics that makes it smell classic and manly, yet fresh and woody, without seeming generic or dated. I read somewhere (I think) that this is the 2004 remake of the original Douro Eau de Portugal, which was a much older vintage PL scent, it has a vintage feel without an 'old man' type of aura to it...worth trying!

Douro by Penhaligon`s 4.30 out of 5 based on 50 ratings and 9 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Douro fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Douro, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Douro by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Douro by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.