Designers » N-Q » « Groups

LP No:9 Penhaligon`s for women

LP No:9 Penhaligon`s for women
dislike

herbal

LP No:9 by Penhaligon`s is a fragrance for women. LP No:9 was launched in 1998. The nose behind this fragrance is Christian Provenzano. Top notes are lavender, bergamot, amalfi lemon, tarragon and geranium; middle notes are carnation, jasmine and rose; base notes are musk, patchouli, virginia cedar, amber, cinnamon and vanille.

Lavender Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Tarragon Geranium

Aliage

LP No:9 Fragrance Reviews

mapache
mapache

Received this gem today. For me, it is one that cannot be judged on first sniff, I believe that a little time and patience...to let the notes develope on your skin. I got several aspects of the notes. At first, I got a "barbershop" lavender/citrus vibe, then, with further development, the other notes showed themselves.I get a herbal vibe at some point..but then it weaves back and forth with the carnation/rose/geranium flowers. I do wish I could have a little MORE carnation. Sillage and projection are moderate, but to be honest it is enough for my nose. If this was a sillage monster, I may of ended up NOT liking it as much as I do. That being said, I really like this fragrance!! My first Penhaligon purchase, and will not be my last. I was afraid this lines scents led to that typical "barbershoppy" vibe, which usually not my cup of tea, so at first, I was skeptical. A happy blind-buy. I look forward to trying Cornubia next !!! Remember to allow yourself to "get to know/feel the scent" and allow it to "get to know you". Ahhhh....chemistry!!!

Sillage 7/10
Projection 7/10
Uniqueness: 8/10
Bottle/Sprayer 8/10

EDIT:
Now that I have spent most of the night with this scent.....I have changed my mind .....This is.......................AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!

shushkin
shushkin

I really dont know why I have taken so long to try this. It is unusual but I love it. I love to cook with and smell tarragon. It really works well with the geranium and dianthus. These three notes have the potential to be harsh and strong. They pop up a lot in mens fragrance. They are used here with great skill.
It is warm and sunny here and it feels perfect wearing it. Its not heavy nor overly sweet but a bright, aromatic and dry fragrance. Its beautifully blended so identifying the notes is not that easy. I think you could wear this anywhere. I would say it would work perfectly for both sexes. Its not too strong and I think it wouldnt offend anyone. Moderate sillage and longevity

Ivyswirl
Ivyswirl

It was just as I started getting into perfumes I bought a few Penhaligons testers, this and a few others such as Ellenesia and Violetta. Of course I easily fell in love with both of those, who doesn't love those parma violet sweets and floral sugared plums? They were easy to love. This one I was less sold on... It did smell a bit masculine and yet spicy and powdery... Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it but I put the tester away for a good year or so until a trip to Wales for a good bit of isolation and quiet in a cottage... Thick stone walls, giant beams, bare boards and tiny windows, it was like a modern witches cottage from the inside and here the potion came alive! Lying in crisp white sheets and unable to sleep this was the perfect antidote. It became clean and musky but spiced and aromatic both intriguing and soothing... It was my sleeping potion.

It's another year later now and I'm sat with a 100ml bottle and a big smile. Perhaps this won't get me flowing compliments or quite act as a sex bomb type of scent but it's magical in its own way.

star24
star24

Dune is my go to summer scent and has been for over 20 years(showing my age!!).I have had and tried many fragrances but Dune seems to be one I am never without.I bought LP no9 after reading the reviews to see for myself if it matched up to Dune and because some reviewers found the longevity good.There are similarities to Dune but for me LP no9 is less well balanced,harsher.LP no9 hits you with a Dune like dry opening but I get a strong green herbal note.If you prefer a more forest woodsy vibe this is for you and is very unisex spicy green cedar??I can see the comparison with Dune but for me this is not a substitute.LP no9 is her own perfume far more woodsy than Dune and longevity is not good on me after 3 hours nothing.All in all I will keep for the pretty bottle more than the contents.

ShechireCat
ShechireCat

This was a blind buy based on reviews here and appealing name & bottle - and a good one as LP no 9 is soon becoming my signature scent at least for the winter months. At first the lavender at the beginning was almost too much, but now I quite like it. After the initial burst of herbal mix this potion has an unisex vibe before settling down to the warm basenotes. Office safe but also a good evening scent. Noticable but not too loud. There is similarity to Dune, but they are not identical twins.

Sherihan
Sherihan

My sister's favorite, I told her it is Dune in a purple elongated bottle(sarcastically) and she agreed. I'm a Dune wearer and I can confirm the similarities, but you know, still it's a different juice, so you will feel som different vibes here and there, but this kind of similarities is not accidentally !! I have no clue how or WHY on earth this kind of things happen!

courant
courant

I'm dirty, my hair is dull and lifeless, small specks of paint adhere to my nose, cheekbones and chin. I have been up and down a ladder countless times to cut in paint, my concentration is gone and my eyes are crossed. The bath is running in anticipation of soothing my aching limbs. A Love Potion of epic strength will be required before I can even smile at my dear husband, who is a hard taskmaster, and I don't mean anything resembling 50 shades by that comment. I just don't think I could cope with wearing an elaborate perfume, so I will turn to this potion, this LP No 9, for its herbal nuances, its clean musky aura and its twilight charms to make me feel human again. All prior comments have covered it well, the masculine opening, the forest feel to it, the similarity to Dune, so I can only add that it should have been called Twilight

esikko
esikko

This is the only perfume i never get tired of. Discovering it a year ago felt like discovering long-lost part of myself. I know it sounds strange, but so far it is the only scent that has this ability to comfort me and express my personality. I don't agree with those who say it smells like Dune. I also like Dune, but like many people here well observed, LP No 9 is much more dark, cool, deep green, like a shady forest. It is unique and beautiful. Or maybe it just perfectly agrees with my skin chemistry. It is always a mystery with good perfumes...

sophywt
sophywt

LP no 9 is the first Penhaligon's scent that I really like and appreciate.

I tested the renowned colognes ie Endymion, English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet, all are lament due to my weird skin chemistry. I like Quercus and Racquets Formula, the two are respectable but not interesting enough, at least to me, to buy.

LP9 is something different, a scent between fourgere and chypre floral. Its herbal green opening turns slowly and smoothly to a light spicy and mossy floral musck heart. It smells strong-minded yet feminine, soft in the heart with a little bit sexy. And the one character I like most is, its slight dirtiness.

The cumin, though not in the list, plays important part in LP9. It reminds me of Mcqueen's Kingdom; and here it's often hiden behind foral and musk notes. If Kingdom smells like v**** or ampit of a woman, LP9 is much more "decent" - a charming and vigorous lady in her gorgeous coat, but from the unbottened collar you know she wears nothing else, naked except her coat. This is LP9, a lady teases you with a naughtiness. She knows so well that you can't get rid of the think - her nakeness and sexiness - in your mind, you are drawn by her yet you have to behave, and treat her politely.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Penhaligon LP #9
This fragrance is androgynous; not unisex, and this fragrance proves that there is a big difference. In the same way that David Bowie is most definitely a man, but can look quite beautiful in makeup, sometimes even more beautiful than some women, this fragrance has the same effect, but in reverse.

It opens on quite a masculine note; exactly like the penhaligon’s cologne for men. At first, I was convinced that I had mistakenly received the men’s version, but since I also enjoy wearing the occasional cologne, I was okay with that and I put it out of my mind. A few hours later, when the heart of the fragrance came through, I was bewitched. It transformed into one of the most gorgeous woody, ambery musks I’ve ever encountered. It sits very close to the skin, but it seems to radiate out. I am not usually a fan of musk, because they tend to smell synthetic on me, but this is the highest quality musk I’ve ever encountered. It has just a touch of skank, but in a decidedly feminine way when softened by the lightly spiced amber base.

It isn’t “pretty” it isn’t “girly”, and it certainly isn’t flowery. It’s handsome in the way you would describe a striking woman as being handsome. It is complex and unconventionally beautiful. Some have described this as similar to Dior Dune, but I disagree. Dior Dune is spice, sunshine, and heat, and this is the heat that comes from depth. Like a dark spicy cauldron. Although the opening is very different, the dry down on this is somewhere between the ambery spice in Penhaligon’s Malabah and the warmth of Patou’s Sublime, but much less flowery than both. I don’t know if this is a Love Potion, but I would definitely call this bewitching and unlike anything else in my collection.

spidola
spidola

I wanted to test this perfume for its particular name (the diminution of Love Potion No.9) and the purple color of the juice, which really appears like some potion mixed up by a witch.
I can confirm the similarity with Dior Dune, I can’t confront them, as I do not have Dune, but I have tested it many times. The LP No.9 is difficult to describe, it’s dry, warm, earthy, green, woody. I can detect lavender, cedar and musk. The dry woodiness gives it the sensation of hot sand in the desert (Dune was a good name!) or , if it has a sense, “electricity”.
I do not think it’s a masculine scent, though I can easily imagine some man wearing it, but neither the type of fragrance I enjoy a lot.
Fortunately the taste is a personal question, so any quality fume can find its happy owner.

kmennie
kmennie

"smells like the golden days of the late 80s/90s very velvety with a dark goth side" is hilariously bang-on. Highly recommended if that's what you're looking for. At that time and place my constant companion was a (discontinued) Gilles Cantuel perfume called "Creature," which I think was launched in said golden days, and this is the closest substitute I've found to date. I offer up this review primarily for the benefit of other "Creature" fans. I find the Penhaglion confection somewhat challenging to wear, but that may be a personal foible given the nostalgia hit; it does indeed make me think I'm off to the clubs, probably wearing too much black. If there is a musical companion to this, it's something by Bryan Ferry.

fire2heart
fire2heart

I saw this in the clearance section of TJ Maxx, put it in my cart and pulled up this site on my phone. I saw the notes and like spicy scents. I almost passed out though, when I saw the going price and the price they had it for... $10.00 for 1.7oz edt!!

I knew even if I didn't like this, I was going to keep it.

I tried 1 drop on my wrist and I could smell the lavender, something unfamiliar to me (which I think is the geranium) and cedar. After about 15 min, could smell the carnation coming forward and it stayed that way for almost 2 hours.

I can understand where some would find this a masculine scent. I happen to like a lot of earthy, masculine scents.

I then did a light spray on my wrist and there was a distinct different opening. A funky, almost feces smell mixed with lavender and I wondered why the drastic change in the opening. Then, within 15 mins the carnation made her entrance and I sighed with relief!

It's been about 3 hours and I now still detect the carnation, but now a little bit of patchouli and possibly cinnamon. This is some divine purple juice!

It it not an overpowering fragrance after 15 mins or so. It sits close to the skin but lasts. I can put it on before bed and when I wake up 8 or so hours later, I can still smell it on my wrists. At least it does in cooler 65 degree weather. That might change once it heats back up again.

(EDIT: I just discovered that jasmine can cause that funky, almost feces smell. You can find the link to it on my profile)

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Nice chypre, floral, dune dior exact replica, interesting, very long lasting, i love it, i wanted to get a 3 bottle of dune and here is unexpected surprise.

pattyk
pattyk

A nice every day perfume. Somewhat sweet but with a bit of a masculine touch at first. After that fades, it becomes soft and easy on the nose. I wish I could tell you when all the notes kick in but I can't. I can tell you that it was not offensive at all. It was lightly floral. It stayed closed to my skin about an hour after it first appeared. Just before I went to bed I could still smell it on wrist but ever so lightly. I like it. It was worth buying for me and adding to my extensive collection of scents.

miss mills
miss mills

I always start singing the Cyndi Lauper Love Potion No 9 song (I'll Kiss You) in my head when I see this bottle - I can't get this gorgeous perfume in NZ but when I lived in London, I would always detour through town to the Penhaligon store to spritz this one on...I love it, from the scent to the colour to the name, to the bottle, and the reminder of an old song- if anybody has this and doesn't want it, pleeeeease contact me and I will arrange some kind of swap somehow!
Edit; I just got a bottle today and it is JUST as delicious as I remember it - vanilla, bergamot, cinnamon and amber are the main notes I get. More day than night, it really does smell like Dune, something I never thought first time round for some reason. Yum!

taboo2287
taboo2287

this smells like the golden days of the late 80s/90s very velvety with a dark goth side, strong but not annoying, lasts for hours even though it's edt! the dry down reminds me of CK Obsession... very good job Penhaligon's!

Migotka
Migotka

I love everything about it- starting from the colour, through the bottle, and finally finishing with the juice.

Juice is probably the most important part. It is something I have never worn before, and belongs to a fragrance family that I was never too fond before. It starts herbal, with lots of lavender and citrus. A few people mentioned in their reviews that it is a bit masculine- not for me. Despite the citrus-tarragon-lavender mix, it remains soft and rounded.

I must say, as LP n9 develops, I do not really get the flowers. I can definitely tell apart musky cinnamon and patchouli, but the rest is just blended all together in a quiet symphony of a Mediterranean garden scent. The scent smells of freshness, outdoors, and elegance. For me, it is definitely a scent of British aristocracy on a day of a polo game :)

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

A very modern scent from Penhaligons. Like other reviewers, I also found this scent to be quite masculine initially. The cedar, patchouli and citrus are quite overwhelming at first. As the scent dies down, it becomes very creamy, with Vanilla, Musk, and Jasmine predominating. Good silage for a reasonable four hour longevity. I couldn't wear it myself but a great scent for a modern woman of any age.

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

This came across on my skin as quite masculine. I do love a spicy oriental, but this one doesn't work. The cedar - and I would swear there's sandalwood in the base, too - is just too manly for me. It has some extreme longevity - 24 hours after applying I could still detect it on my wrist.

Has some powerful sillage, too. All day, I kept getting whiffs of it that made me feel as if I had just been very close -- intimately close -- to a man wearing a very sexy, spicy cologne.

It's sexy but for all the wrong reasons. And if I'm gonna smell like that, I'd prefer the real thing. Give me a man wearing Fahrenheit...please.

romanticflower
romanticflower

LP remembers me a lot dune by dior.i find it feminine and to use for office.the combination of citrus notes and spicy ones confere it a casual tone that make it perfect for everyday use.

Penhaligon LP No 9 is a spicy little number (love potion?), with a unique combination of aromatic and oriental elements which leave me feeling highly perfumed!

The tarragon, lavender, and lemon all swirl together with the basenote cinnamon and the spicy carnation to produce a pretty heady mix! This is strong stuff, but also likeable. The longevity is excellent, and I think that this would make a great wintertime fragrance also because of the substantial sillage.

One curious feature of this composition is that, as it unfurls, it becomes more and more similar to Dior DUNE. By the drydown, I find no significant distinction between the two. Since I already have DUNE (1991) in ample supply, I won't be adding LP No 9 (1998) to my collection. Well, not anytime soon! (-:

boogeyyy
boogeyyy

well, i own midnight poison, and that's the best i've ever had. BUT, when i smelled it, it smells better. just because it's sweeter, not smoky like midnight poison. i hate to spare midnight poison and this LP because they're different. i love both tho.

tuberose_and _sand
tuberose_and _sand

This one is just gorgeous; to me, it smells all the way like the opening of Dune- and I've been looking for a perfume like this ever since I discovered Dune. It's exotic, warm, sensual (but innocent). I can't say: Oh, this is fruity or Oh, this is a floral smell, like I said, it's just like the top notes of Dune. I've obviously not got a much educated nose, so I can't pinpoint all the individual accord in this peefume, I'll just say a conclusion: it smells good, not offensive to anybody, lasts moderately long and could be appropriate for any occasion.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

LP9 for women and LP9 for men have one thing in common, and alarmingly, it is a heady overtone in the bottle, of two stroke petrol. No kidding. However, there is less of the volatile substance in LP9 for women, and it rapidly disperses once the juice leaves the bottle. The first burst is citrussy, with a cypress/petrol note, which is absurdly "toppy", frighteningly toppy in fact, enough to put you off at first whiff. Come back to the scent at irregular intervals though, and the notes begin to come to the fore. The florals, a spicy carnation, lily of the valley, jasmine and rose, waltz, vienesse style in big pastel puffy dresses with 30,000 sequins which each flower and her mother sat up all night sewing on themselves, and as the middle notes begin to melt into the darkness, not to disappear you understand, but to sit quietly upon gilded chairs with their tulle arranged about them, the base notes shuffle into the spotlight, in all their spicy, earthy, green glory. There's a glorious cinnamon and vanilla, tonka mix which hints at fresh cherry pie, which is rapidly joined by a deep creamy, buttery note which, once appears, hangs around long after the rest of the fragrant dancers have left the building. A final deep dry down of oakmoss with a vague androgynous hint of patchouli checks it's petticoats before it slips out of the exit doors dusting it's waxed moustachios with face powder. Glorious.

I've heard that LP stands for Love Potion. I don't know if it's true. Did they need to make 8 tests before n.9? I don't know. I just know that this fragrance on my skin smells very weird at first, then it settles in a nice way, very interesting, yet not completely my type. It reminds me of an elegant tall lady dressed in a classic and feminine way. Not me.
It starts with a strong green note that I always associated with galbanum, but there is no galbanum listed. Could it be tarragon? It doesn't smell the same way tarragon smells in Samsara anyway.
Cranation is at the heart, perfectly tamed by other flowers without killing its bright energising smell.
The dry down seems very typical, classical and if smelled very close it brings out a very faint medicinal note similar to dentist stuff. It might be Virginia cedarwood.
It's strange there is no group listed for this one. I would call it an oriental green, if it makes sense.
For reference I can say it smells very similar to Must de Cartier, but a little less vanillic and more green sharp with a more delicate sillage.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s LP No:9 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s LP No:9, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify LP No:9 by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of LP No:9 by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.