Designers » N-Q » Floral Green « Groups

Lily of the Valley Penhaligon`s for women

Lily of the Valley Penhaligon`s for women Pictures

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon`s is a Floral Green fragrance for women. Lily of the Valley was launched in 1976. The nose behind this fragrance is Michael Pickthall. Top notes are bergamot, amalfi lemon and geranium; middle notes are lily-of-the-valley, rose, ylang-ylang and jasmine; base notes are sandalwood and oakmoss.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Geranium

Lily

Lily of the Valley Fragrance Reviews

katiesiepierski
katiesiepierski

I just recieved a sample of this from Lucky Scent and I almost cried when I applied it because it is so beautiful! This is Lily of the Valley perfection! I really do not pick up other notes on myself personally. It is fascinating to read how different it can be from person to person- one smelling roses, the other many notes, while me I really just smell LOTV. When I smell this, I am transported to a happy place- rolling in a green meadow of flowers as a child, on a gorgeous spring day, the sun shining through my light, champagne blonde curls, with my grandmother in her soft white blouse reading a book on the wooden swing bench.

This is Lily of the Valley in all of its delicate, feminine, sweet, slightly green, very sligjtly powdery, beautiful splendor. I have officially found my new signature scent- which I have been searching for ever since Creme Bouquet was discontinued for the 2nd time.

This feels so clean, crisp but soft, sweet- but in a subdued, slightly earthy way. This feels oh-so feminine and demure! It is not loud or overly complex, but not so simple or faint that you have to dig your nose into your wrist to smell it. On me this gives a good 2-3 feet of a hand laced white veil, adorned with a crown weaved of these beautiful flowers, stems included. It's official- i am addicted! I am surprised at the sillage and longevity of this actually! For such a delicate smell, they usually fade ridiculoualy quickly on me. But then again, even the strongest, most punch packed fragrances that last for hours upon hours on everyone else, fade quickly on me. This doesn't! It has been 5 hours and I feel as if it only has grown stronger as time has passed! I am blown away by this in the best way possible. Blown away to a fairytale dreamland, my own pixie hollow.

I absolutely must have a full bottle! It is rare for me to love a fragrance so much so that it is worthy of a full bottle. Most of my collection is samples and decants for this very reason! The only full bottles I have ever been compelled to buy were Stila Creme Bouquet, Guerlain Champs Elysees edp, Serge Lutens Un Lys, and I just semi- blind bought Guerlain Meteorites. This is another to add to this highly picky list!

This somewhat reminds me of Serge Lutens Un Lys, but in a different way. Un Lys would be my dream meadow at dawn, with the moon still visible in the sky and the sun starting to rise in the horizon, while Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley would be my dream meadow in the late morning, on a 65F sunny day with white fluffy marshmallow clouds in the sky.

If you love soft, sweet, simple, realistic florals that are happy, white, lean delicate, but crisp and green at the same timw- you will love this.

There is nothing more appealing on a warm Spring afternoon than the scent of white florals wafting in the breeze. I feel as if Penhaligon's has managed to capture that fragrance and bottle it in the form of Lily of the Valley.

It has taken me quite some time to get around to testing this fragrance, especially since it has been on my for test list for years. When it comes to lily of the valley I tend to look no further than niche to find what I'm looking for. Mainstream lily of the valley scents always smell harsh and acrid to my nose, rather than the smooth, crisp floral I expect.

Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley is a beautiful floral composition. It is both green, crisp and refreshing with all the femininity you'd expect from a dominant lily of the valley scent. Dare I say it's one of those essential bridal fragrances, especially if you plan to tie the knot in the warmer months.

The drydown has all that glorious old-fashioned soapiness, enough to keep this fragrance fresh despite multiple hours of wear. The longevity is great too, at least six hours, surprising for a light floral in an EDT.

Penhaligon's is really gaining in popularity I find. I'm seeing their fragrances in places I've never seen them sold before, even boutique clothing stores seem to be selling them. Not that I'm complaining, but I do wish I could keep the secret for longer.

Amélie Amélie
Amélie Amélie

On me this is transcendant. One of the most beautiful florals I've ever smelled. It is both fresh and deep, complex and uplifting.
I can see this as a young girl's first perfume, as a bride's choice of scent, a life loving middle aged woman's fragrance, and a radiant older woman's love.

Sublime.........

ps: poor longevity...

racb
racb

Spring like, fresh and wonderful. However a friend said I smelled like her granny and that was it for me....

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

Best thing to be said about this fragrance? - it's a very true lily-of-the-valley scent.

Worst thing to be said this fragrance? - it's a very true lily-of-the-valley scent! :-)

While lilies of the valley are a lovely flower and one I remember fondly from my childhood, they are hard to wear as a solifore fragrance.

And this is /strong/...

bibibling
bibibling

I received a sample of this from luckyscent and oh, gosh, this is one unremarkably boring and forgettable lily-of-the-valley. It is EXTREMELY soapy to the point where if I were blindfolded and made to smell this, I would have sworn it was literally a bar of scented soap.

Ylang-ylang and oakmoss are also present and to a lesser extent, so is sandalwood but I could not feel the citrusy topnotes or the other flowers listed. I was hoping this would be sweeter but on a scale of 0-10 (0 being not sweet at all and 10 being diabetes) I'd give this maybe a 1 or a 1.5.

This isn't a sexy or flirty scent either. I imagine an 80-year-old rich dowager, scooting around with her wheelchair in her mansion with her fur coat on, dripping in diamonds, a miniature Chinese Crested named Penelope on her lap, wearing this perfume because screw you, she likes it and that's all that matters!

Definitely try before you buy.

houzi
houzi

Lily of the Valley is the opposite of spectacular. Maybe because she's never had the desire to turn heads, or maybe because at her age she just doesn't want to care anymore. All the same, she's doing fine just the way she is, and that would be charming and ladylike, the retro way.

The perfume is an old-fashioned, intensely soapy floral, that doesn't smell overly clean. Ylang ylang, oakmoss and sandalwood do their best to ensure it stays away from the breezy, fresh and clinical territory. Maybe that's also what makes it surprisingly hard for me to pick out the namesake note from the mix. Many of the more contemporary incarnations of the flower, at least those I’m familiar with, are on the clean side, especially when the note gets paired with clean jasmine, like for example in Fleur de Lalique. The opening of Diorissimo, my personal reference point for lily of the valley, smells fresher to me than the Penhaligon’s as well.

Even though I have no problem picturing myself enjoying the scent from time to time, it really does smell like something your proper but good-hearted middle-aged aunt, who thinks computers are for 'young people', would wear. In other words - mature, dowdy, unfashionable and out of touch. I quite like it regardless.

sjam3295
sjam3295

Loved it from the first spray. Fresh, sparkling, lemony lily-of-the-valley and rose; lovely creamy wisps of oakmoss and sandalwood in the dry-down - never fails to make me feel happy. One of my favourite spring perfumes.

StinkySally
StinkySally

Not a review per se, but two thoughts:

1. Granny got gramps, "old lady" scents may have had something to do with it.

2. Time travel to 2074.
Teenager squirts her female ancestor's previous heritage fragrance (say, Lonestar Memories by Tauer, just for example) and immediately gags, stating with disdain, "it's such an old, granny fragrance. Yuck! Where's that new-fangled rose and jasmine?"

You get my point, I hope. Varium est mutible, semper feminine. Oh, yeah, an old language, just like granny's pre spellcheck literacy.

becuille
becuille

I didn't like the first half hour of this at all because it was very soapy on me. But after that, it started to dry down into a pleasant, crisp lily of the valley.

I understand the complaints that it's a bit of a granny perfume (no insult intended to all you stylish grannies out there!). It does have a bit of an old folks home kind of smell, which means it's not really for me. But it's pleasant and the lily of the valley is well done.

I doubt you could offend anyone with this, but it doesn't excite me nearly enough to buy a full bottle of it.

Longevity and sillage are both moderate.

CeciliaWilson
CeciliaWilson

Trying it out for the first time. So far liking it. Becomes quite sweet on my skin, but has an drowsy edginess that makes it interesting. Like imagining what an old woman was like in her twenties

clair de neige
clair de neige

A lively, captivating, feminine, fresh, high-lily of the valley scent.

charisch87
charisch87

My first Penhaligon's and an impulse buy. I regretted buying this cuz I just smell mostly rose on my skin. I don't know how else to describe the scent but I basically smell like an old British granny with this perfume on. Also, just 5 minutes in the car with this scent and a headache just crept up on me. Too strong a scent in general - if I had to describe it, imagine every spray is a tightly packed flower bomb that hits you in your face everytime you catch a whiff of it. I wish it was lighter, fresher and crisper - much like someone sprinkling flower petals all over you, instead of that damned flower bomb.

fraspoki
fraspoki

There is no quiet and elegant delicacy of Diorissimo, but it's a very honest, fresh interpretation of the flower. Very green, very straightforward, quite likable and pretty. Reminds you of a simple,but very reliable and trustworthy person. Nice.

Lindy_Mop
Lindy_Mop

I like this. I don't have the association of Lily of the Valley with old ladies (my grandmother only wore Magie Noire) so I just find it fresh, lemony and pretty. Lovely for Spring. At my desk, it's a welcome subtle breath of fresh, Spring air.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Not good, old english pharmacy type of perfume, it is going back to marshls too.

Edit: I like the comparison with old English granny with perfume on, it fits exact description!

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

A very pleasant, initially fresh and bright lily of the valley bouquet mixed with twigs of jasmine bush and ferns. In the drydown becomes slightly powdery but not too powdery ala Violetta by Penhaligon's. As others have already noted, very strong sillage and surprisingly good longevity (I've never had luck with Penhaligon's lasting on me althogh I very much like the range). It feels like I have a vase of the lovely flowers described sitting on my desk and conjures up peaceful images of sweet meadows dappled in sunshine. Full bottle worthy but only if you like lily of the valley of course. Don't expect anything else.

rosalie68
rosalie68

Pleasant surprise. A real replacement for Cristalle which got the push (see profile why). Key word: FRESH, BRIGHT. Not Cloying or so delicate you just want to slap it. Happy scent.

Marie76
Marie76

Unintersting but nice, in me the notes were just lily and jasmin, with little else.

jachang
jachang

I'm not an expert at identifying all of the notes in a fragrance, so I couldn't say whether or not I smelled anything other than lily-of-the-valley. Yes, the LOTV was definitely there, but lots of other notes also. After having it on for about 20 minutes, it began to smell exactly like La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme by L'Artisan on me. After an hour, it seemed to get stronger--or maybe it's just that I got sick of smelling it. By now as I'm typing this, I really want to go and wash it off. It's just so strong, my eyes are burning and I'm getting a headache from it. I would not buy this one. Somehow, I think it's one of those fragrances that would smell good on others, but not on me.

lara0905
lara0905

I like the simplicity in this frag. The opening is a bright blast of bergamott and citrus mixed with the note of lily of the walley and after a few minutes it turns into a delicate, pleasant slightly-powdery floral scent.
Highly recommend for lily of the walley lovers, because this scent is an excellent reflections of the real flower aroma.

Perhaps the name is supposed to be a metaphor, but, if not, Penhaligon LILY OF THE VALLEY strikes me as misnamed, for a few other notes--including jasmine and geranium--seem just as important as the eponymous lily of the valley. (Hmmm... have I used the word 'eponymous' correctly?--I'll have to check!)

Anyway, this is a very green floral green--more green than floral, in fact, to my nose. I definitely register the presence of oakmoss in the drydown, which also surprises me, again, given the name. I think that specifically for lily of the valley there may be better choices, DIORISSIMO, to name one, but this edp seems to me to be a well-crafted fragrance evocative of a nocturnal green pasture in which a variety of petals have been strewn.

DawnLady3
DawnLady3

Well, this smells like lily-of-the-valley! I am amazed to see how many notes are listed, because to me the lily-of-the-valley, with perhaps a touch of jasmine, is all that I can detect. Like many of the Penhaligon's it is very true to the smell of the flower, including the slightly (to me) unpleasant, decaying undertones, and I am not sure that is entirely a good thing. Personally I would prefer this to be a little less realistic and a little 'cleaner' and gentler, but I am sure that this is just a matter of personal taste. It lasts quite well and is fairly linear, I think. Great if lily-of-the-valley is for you - but I have to say that it is not something I would want to wear.

Beauty Encounter
Penhaligon's Lily Of The Valley Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging 100ml 3.4oz
Penhaligon's Lily Of The Valley Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging 100ml 3.4oz
Penhaligon's Lavandula Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Penhaligon's Lavandula Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Penhaligon's Lily Of The Valley by Penhaligon's EDT Spray 3.4 oz Tester for Women
Lily Of The Valley penhaligon's Perfume by Penhaligon's, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Penhaligon's Lily Of The Valley by Penhaligon's EDT Spray 3.4 oz for Women
Penhaligon's Lavandula Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Penhaligon's Lavandula Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Penhaligon's Artemisia Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Penhaligon's Artemisia Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Lily of the Valley fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Lily of the Valley, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.