Designers » N-Q » Leather « Groups

Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) Perry Ellis for men

Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) Perry Ellis for men
dislike

leather

Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) by Perry Ellis is a Leather fragrance for men. Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) was launched in 1985. The fragrance features carnation, oak moss, galbanum, vanille, bergamot, rose and leather.

Carnation oak moss Galbanum Vanille Bergamot Rose Leather

Mr. Blass

Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) Fragrance Reviews

Ricardo the Great
Ricardo the Great

The original formulation is a pure masterpiece. Very unique and genuine fragrance. The vintage is still available on ebay for a reasonable price usually. Women love this fragrance.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

I had a bottle of this a long time ago. The new reformulation is pleasant enough, but it does not capture the richness and depth of the original. That said, this fragrance has always struck me as a little odd; an incomplete scent, as if though the perfumer did not complete the notes to make it an oriental, woodsy, sweet or spicy accord. I don't know where or how one would wear this, casual or formal. It is not unpleasant, just lacking.

batty
batty

Yeah I have the reformulation no doubt. That being said, I love this fragrance.I have a nice collection, and this one will never leave. I like the slightly herbal aspect, mixed with carnation and oakmoss. I only list them two, because they are really all I smell. Longetivity is good, I would say it also has good sillage. In my opinion good quality cologne, especially for them random cool nights and days, when you just want something not to serious, yet strong and elegant. Do not spray more than 3 times or it could be cloying, with my experience 2 is good.

cytherian
cytherian

In the start, PEFM (vintage) has a strong rose colored cognac leather impression. When sniffing it from the bottle, that's certainly the impression I get of this amber colored liquid--it's cognac, not fragrance! I was half tempted to take a sip. ;-)

However, after application I was completely amazed to find that this smells very similar to Giorgio Beverly Hills Red For Men (the pre-EA version). There is also a subtle nod to Gres Cabochard deeper into the dry down, ignoring the floral predominance of GC.

I find projection really decent -- strong enough to be smelled within arm's length. Longevity seems to be very good. I've also discovered that there is a difference between the 100ml splash bottle and the 150ml tall spray bottle. The splash is darker and mossier. There may be a contributing factor of air and other environmental factors where the open splash bottle is concerned. While I do find them slightly different, it's actually rather pleasant. If I want slightly less moss I go with the spray.

I love this. Now I have to find out how the new formulation smells.

Here's some imagery I get from Perry Ellis For Men:

Francois was wrapping up a long day's work at the office. He just finished the last few entries in his daily journal and then reclined back in his rich black leather bound chair. Turning his head to the side, he caught a deep leathery smell of the chair's headrest. The cute Russian cleaning woman who recently started had oiled the leather last night, apparently--beautiful! Inspired by the scent, he leaned forward and opened his desk drawer, taking out a bottle of Perry Ellis For Men. He used to keep it on top of his desk, the long oval glass flask with art deco inspired black and white cap exuding refined luxury. But last time it got knocked over by a clumsy co-worker and almost went past the edge of the desk inviting disaster on the hard linoleum floor. If it hadn't been for the terrific lock-down cap, it might've popped off and sent the contents all over. Francois opened it and caught a whiff of rich spicy cognac and leather. How he wished he had a bottle of Remy Martin right now to soothe his soul from a long work week. Splashing some into his left hand, he thoroughly wiped the fragrance over his neck and took in the aroma. On second thought, he didn't need the cognac. This did the trick. He closed his eyes and reclined in the chair, letting his mind relax for a few minutes.

**Ring, Ring** It was his cell phone and a small photo of his wife appeared on it.. A quick look at the time and he realized about a half hour had gone by. He answered and had a nice chat with his wife, informing her he just wrapped things up and would be heading home. She reminded him to stop by the Monoprix to pick up a few things for the dinner they'd be preparing together this evening. "And mon tresor, don't forget to splash on a little of that Perry Ellis for me, OK?" "Don't worry my sweet, already done. Je t'adore." And with that, Francois made his exit from the office and on to a wonderful evening with his beloved. 9.5/10 for fragrance (vintage), 8.9/10 for value.

Castor
Castor

I don't know what to think of this. It would be a mix between the dry / herbal ones and the orientals a la Obsession. I won't describe its evolution, Ericrico did a wonderful job in that sense. To the extent of my capabilities, I will write a note-free review, which traditionally is done according to the pyramid .

It opens up with weird top notes: Carnation, a mellower version of eugenol, and Geranium? It feels sort of citric morphing into the oriental field with a somehow balmy
feeling. In other words, a stingy feeling turning slightly creamy. And from then on, a conservatve (in terms of evolution) that keeps on gong till the end. I cannot get leather or the rest in the base notes. I do get very manly vibes, but not that different to the previous description.

As Bigsly said, it is not a refined scent. It smells inexpensive - take in mind my review is on the actual formulation. Let me guide you on this: it feels like low quality tobacco, it has a sand paper quality.

Maybe a good choice for those cherishing memories. Or for the ones wanting to experiment with inexpensive options outside the usual patterns.

In my case, not among the ones I revisit frequently. I'd rather save the money for better quality ones.

PS: The bottle is gigantic, something that makes me think that it is on purpose, since it would be for dousing, judging for its limited longevity.

Peachply
Peachply

I had a boyfriend who wore the original version and it was spellbinding...I'm not a huge fan of "perfumey" scents on men but this was glorious!

crazykoffee
crazykoffee

This fragrance was gifted to me by a long gone girlfriend. She didn't even know anything about this scent and bought it for me before internet and reviews where commonplace and when I was a struggling University student. It smells exactly like "Thrills" chewing gum tasted (Do they still make this gum?). Soapy, sweet, spicy and heavy with woodsy, leather, amber and vanilla notes. I didn't like it. I felt I was in a soap factory. My mother said it reeked and held her nose when I walked by. I'm sure it would smell decent on some men, but I found it too heavy from just one spray. Very strong and very old school. I did what I usually do when I don't like a fragrance: I gave it away. Perry Ellis 360 is MUCH better!

aucffan1
aucffan1

Could be construed as a perfume for ladies.. I have had women that said were going to buy it,, I had one lady friend demand that I share it with her..

Last forever and can be over whelming so very easy on the trigger..

I find times to wear this.. Mostly when I want a cologne to last. Working out, yard work, grocery shopping.. I am in constructrion and don't wear this to work any more because it is sorta perfumish (flowery)..

8 out of 10 and a must check out..

bobo1
bobo1

Can easily be worn by women (those that like chypres from the 70s-80s - like me).

ericrico
ericrico

This is one of those stories...Perry Ellis for Men Original from 1985. I just happened to get a full 5oz bottle "thrown-in" as an additional scent by a great, honest, and righteous seller on eBay. I was actually purchasing a specific bottle and he included this. I had already made the purchase when I decided to find out what "throw-away" bottle he was sending me. I already was sold with the fair price on the one I was keen on. I think of Perry Ellis as a 1980's and 90's designer who sold a lot of average clothing for office wear. I would never buy anything Perry Ellis again in my life. But, then I came here to my trusted place of olfactory knowledge. I was getting a possible gem for literally nothing. Probably turned...I thought. No - it is 99% full and absolutely in perfect order - 5oz. of galbanum-infused moss and leather with a very nice blast of bergamot, a sharp and full carnation note with of a hint of rose petal. This may look bronze, but it smells like a very green, floral scent that is resinous and rich...warming on my skin beautifully. Old-school masculine - my sweet spot! The base note is mostly leather to me (smooth) and just a touch of vanilla (not too sweet, very natural). I really like the fact that this does not tread into an Oriental and it keeps the green, resiny galbanum through the entire composition while citrus adds a nice freshness on top and florals fill out the heart. A lost gem - I am incredibly happy to have this...let alone it is Original Vintage. I believe in karma and need to pay this forward somehow...

So, to fill in the blank, I get out of the shower and hear my doorbell. The box was left. I wanted to wear a fragrance during the day today that would segue into a full wearing of Davidoff Classic for Men tonight (the original green aromatic fougere from 1984 that is a chic and refined powerhouse). I was thinking, something floral and green that will dry down into a nice base for the Davidoff. Hmmmm...

I remembered what was on this forum when the doorbell rang. I got dressed and opened the box to find this Original Vintage bottle in all its glory. First spray had me - this is very fine juice! All of you were correct that chimed in here with great reviews. I want to especially give credit to krmarich (I felt your passion and now know why!), Ad nauseam, Lana Lool and several others.

This is radiating in the room right now - truly impressive.

My "rating/score" is not a fraction...it is a sincere sense of gratitude and appreciation for this bottle to be in my possession. I am truly thankful and will wear this with much pleasure over the years ahead...

Cheers!

LANIER
LANIER

The setting sun turns the high end apartment buildings along 5th Avenue Petra rose in the late Fall. Low slung in the western sky over New Jersey it casts long shadows from the Metropolitan Museum across the avenue as taxis stream past blinking in and out of the sunlight. In the brisk air of the fading afternoon young bright men are dashing for a cab to head out for supper and a club or leaving a note with the doorman at the apartment of the fresh young thing they just have to see again. The smell of rain is in the air. Off of 5th Avenue along any block in the upper 60’s walk gentlemen of infinite experience who take more time in their pleasures. Men with the kind of style and grace one only acquires as life scrapes along leaving beautiful scars that tell the tale. The year is 1985 and wealth and luxury have not been this desirable to the masses or so easy since the 1920’s. The signature scent of the day is Perry Ellis for Men.

Perry Ellis opens sweetly romantic and young. The carnation mixes with the leather and rose to give it a youthful yet effortless sophistication. There is a bit of bergamot mixed in with galbanum and oak moss to add a well rounded dry down and the vanilla shimmers with a bit of sweet luxury in the blended notes. It is a good starter for a young man who wants to try something a little more daring than a citrus or the standard “clean laundry” aura that is all the rage today. This smell is masculine, authoritative without being chauvinistic or arrogant. And not everyone or every guy who lives on his block will be wearing it. That is the nice thing about the old school classics, what is old can be new again.

As with most men’s fragrances from the 1980’s it is powerful and should be respected as such. The projection is substantial but not invasive. This gentleman has staying power galore. Eight to ten hours is the norm. Good for any evening occasion be it La Traviata at Met or a club in Soho. It may be a bit heavy for daywear unless you are in showbiz.

If you are going for that 80’s elegance with out the “Dynasty” over kill then, think rich, preppy, Upper East Side Manhattan...it could even carry within its fragrant promises a few dangerous liaisons.

Four Gold Stars ****

krmarich
krmarich

Once upon a time this was my signature. I ran out and purchased a large bottle and sprayed it liberally that magical summer. I seen it advertised in Interview magazine and declared a fine arts major. I wanted to be the next Perry Ellis! The world was a different place indeed! You could shoot high in 1987!

The composition was superb-oakmoss,galbanum and carnation open leather, patcholi, vetiver and rose. It was masculine and empowering, never missing a beat! The only thing I can compare it to is Guerlain's Djedi. It opens with oakmoss and adds civet-which PE lacks, thankfully! It was very avant gard for its time.

Powerhouse? Yes! And then it simply vanished from retail shelves and the market altogether. I never purchased another bottle until this summer and fell in love again. The reformulation was worthless! The original classic is worth the vintage price/persuit.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

The original Perry Ellis for Men was one of my first colognes, and I have many memories associated with it. I recently bought the Anniversary Edition 5oz., and was a little disappointed that they had changed the the fragrance somewhat. But the disappointment only lasted a short while, as I fell in love with the new formulation quickly. I would have never guessed that this formulation would be oakmoss intensive and full of galbanum, carnation, and just the right amount of rose. This is a very acceptable fragrance in my opinion. Just a smidge of vanilla and spice mixes just right with the rest on a mossy quasi leathery base. I wouldn't call this a leather frag by any means, but all the markers are there. If you are into the vintage frags like I am, I don't think you will be disappointed with this. Give it a go...it is incredibly affordable, even though it is being phased out. Grab a 5oz while you can!
UPDATE: I had to pull the plug on the new version. It just got too overwhelming with its synthetic sweetness. I sought out the vintage however and am thoroughly happy with it. This was one wild and wooly mixture, with it's heavy rose and seriously animalic base, tempered with vanilla. So glad I found it again.

I have two versions of this one, the only visible difference (I can detect) being that the original has a facsimile signature on the box. The older one has a touch of vintage Quorum, but I'd say Romeo Gigli Uomo is the closest to it. The far drydown of this one is incredible, a soft/floral incense with an almost gourmand tint to it. The new one is simple and a bit "synthetic," though I wouldn't call it "bad" for the price. There's some nice moss at first too. The notes listed in the description seem to be for the new one. It starts off spicy and leathery, with obvious carnation, and when that subsides, you get the rose, and then a bit later comes more vanilla. It's a great idea but sometimes the quality of the ingredients is too low for my tolerance level. Anyway, if you are looking to relive memories, it might not be so easy. Once in a while I see an original on ebay but the price is usually more than I'd pay (since I already have some). I haven't tried the Anniversary version, but I can't imagine them spending the money to recreate the richness of the original.

UPDATE: Apparently Parlux was producing Perry Ellis scents until about 7 years ago, then they sold the license. I acquired a bottle made by Parlux and can report that it seems closer to the original but definitely not as rich, deep, or natural smelling. The original is in a league of its own. Thus, it seems like there were at least three distinct formulations.

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

A long forgotten scent. I had the shorter splash on bottle of Perry Ellis for Men with the twist off cap when it was first released back in 1985. I was still in high school and looking for something besides Polo. Boy did I find it in this one. I never smelled this on anyone else. It's been so long since I've had this it's difficult to describe what it was like. Rich, almost candy sweet carnation and rose. A little herbal maybe. After I finished the bottle I was on to something else. I haven't smelled anything that came close over the years. However, there is something about Burberry Brit that reminds me of it. Anyone else get this? The photo above is of the Anniversary Edition which was more recently released.

Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) by Perry Ellis 4.23 out of 5 based on 65 ratings and 15 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Perry Ellis Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Perry Ellis Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985), you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) by Perry Ellis. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Perry Ellis for Men Original (1985) by Perry Ellis represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.